Supreme Commander PC

8.3

1. JamieS.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Yet another RTS. Ignoring all the hoohah and blather about its graphics etc what we have is just ...another RTS. As there've been hundreds (And possibly more than a thousand now) of RTS's released, you need to do something special to stand out from the crowd. GPG's answer to that was graphical; they made an RTS with large differences of scale between the units. But apart Yet another RTS. Ignoring all the hoohah and blather about its graphics etc what we have is just ...another RTS. As there've been hundreds (And possibly more than a thousand now) of RTS's released, you need to do something special to stand out from the crowd. GPG's answer to that was graphical; they made an RTS with large differences of scale between the units. But apart from that the differences are minor. I found it yawn-inducing. Yes it's got integrated cut-scenes, a story line, character development etc etc --the whole check-list -- but as a game, it just feels like every other RTS you've played before.In fact, it feels like a skin-pack for Age of Empires 3 -- Age of Empires 3 in space, if you like. I've already uninstalled it. If you're an RTS fan you'll probably love it like you do every RTS; the average gamer will probably find it boring. I sure did. Expand
    Feb 8, 2007
    Not much real strategy, basically the same as the majority of other rts games from the past 10 years, build more units and more powerful units than your enemy and thats it.
  3. Feb 1, 2014
    The spiritual successor to Total Annihilation by the same developer. The graphics are improved and there are now 3 factions with what appear on the surface to be diverse playstyles. Unfortunately this is mostly on the surface as the large map sizes often meant ground combat became a total stalemate and it turned into a sheer brute force weight of numbers and economy battle rather thanThe spiritual successor to Total Annihilation by the same developer. The graphics are improved and there are now 3 factions with what appear on the surface to be diverse playstyles. Unfortunately this is mostly on the surface as the large map sizes often meant ground combat became a total stalemate and it turned into a sheer brute force weight of numbers and economy battle rather than tactics. The existence of the shield generator buildings made it possible to create mass overlapping shield bubbles that made most attacks incapable of doing much critical or significant damage.

Finally, the Commander unit itself while nice is a far cry from the Total Annihilation commander with its D-gun. The Commander was near the end of the game more liability than asset due to its volatile death explosion, and its gun, while in theory capable of one hit killing most things, was not enough to save it as the gun did not penetrate through multiple units like the D-Gun. This meant the Commander in mid to late game could not fight its way from any reasonable sized collection units, and was often reduced to hiding in its base.
  4. KevinD.
    Dec 30, 2007
    I miss contact with the units. most of the time you control them from fery high above, so you have a good battlefield overview. making all that action nothing more than moving dots on the screen. I like the large maps, but the economysystem is crap and there aint much micro'ing to it.
  5. Sep 16, 2010
    Wow the game looked great i'll admit. However there are too small units on a too large map. My biggest dislike about this game is the WAITING PERIODs for your units to finally get to ur opponents base takes forever! building T3 and T4 units take forever if built with one unit...83 minutes! I noticed units takes a while late game b4 they actually build or move etc. good points r the megaWow the game looked great i'll admit. However there are too small units on a too large map. My biggest dislike about this game is the WAITING PERIODs for your units to finally get to ur opponents base takes forever! building T3 and T4 units take forever if built with one unit...83 minutes! I noticed units takes a while late game b4 they actually build or move etc. good points r the mega robots and graphics :) it sucked when in the trailors u saw this huge ass robot and when u play u have to zoom right in to get a scaled view. Id say get the game on budget like i did. I expected much more from this big letdown. Expand
  6. Dec 27, 2011
    is a great game but the ai is pretty bad, when moving huge amounts of units they collide and stop moving for a while and keep going again, although the graphics is nice and otherwise the game is pretty well built (AI IS TERRIBLEEEEEEEEE)
  7. Jun 27, 2015
    The story is such nonsense. Obviously there wouldn't be wars lasting for millenniums. That's just ridiculous and everything would have been destroyed by then. Peace is the only way out for sure. Gaming-wise it might be a decent game but the story is just downright nonsense and propagate dangerous ideas.
  8. riccardomercadante
    Aug 10, 2008
    Unfortunately GPG have the bad habbit to endlessy ban players for no reason. Online multiplayer would be very interesting if the whole sistem could work for more than 1 day. Most players are not able to play online for obscure reasons. Have a look on forums and see that GPG online sistem is poor and do not offer any assistence... Not to buy
  9. MichaelR.
    Mar 16, 2007
    I stopped playing after a week. Despite the sheer size of the maps and armies, the game is nothing amazing; the sides are pretty much the same apart from the aesthetics, the campaign is awful (plus the dialogue is silly filled with quantum gates, quantum virus, quantum AI, quantum wakes . . . eh), and the game crashes my computer every five minutes.
  10. ji
    Feb 13, 2007
    A huge letdown. I was waiting for this game to be the next big step in RTS gaming, but it feels like a step backward. Yes it has a large scope, at the cost of just about everything else that makes RTS gaming so much fun. The units feel bland and generic and the action feels removed and sterile. The graphics are subpar when compared to other recent RTS games which help lend to the bland A huge letdown. I was waiting for this game to be the next big step in RTS gaming, but it feels like a step backward. Yes it has a large scope, at the cost of just about everything else that makes RTS gaming so much fun. The units feel bland and generic and the action feels removed and sterile. The graphics are subpar when compared to other recent RTS games which help lend to the bland removed feel of the game. I am sadly disapointed by this game that I've been wating so long for. One final complaint, the UI is ridiculously big (even on higher resoulutions). The actual gameplay takes place in a small window in the center of the screen surrounded by excessively large box of superfluous buttons. It is like playing the game in a letterboxed format, and while increasing the resolution does help somewhat it does not entirely mitigate the problem and may not be feasable for people with less than state of the art computers since the game takes a significant amount of processing power to begin with. A lot of people do seem to enjoy the game, so this one disillusioned gamer's opinion should not disuade you from trying the game or at least the demo. Expand
  11. Jan 6, 2013
    A grand scale RTS, and a solid 8. Supreme Commander lives up to its title, you do in fact feel like a Supreme Commander. There are many strategic outlets in this game that you can employ to stay ahead of your enemy. Like the real world, information is a key element to your plan of attack. The large scale maps can leave opponents weak and sprawled, and your attacking forces can be seenA grand scale RTS, and a solid 8. Supreme Commander lives up to its title, you do in fact feel like a Supreme Commander. There are many strategic outlets in this game that you can employ to stay ahead of your enemy. Like the real world, information is a key element to your plan of attack. The large scale maps can leave opponents weak and sprawled, and your attacking forces can be seen coming a mile away giving time for your enemy to prepare.

Base building plays a large role in survival in this game, expect to lose a lot of units to a barrage of artillery, nuclear attacks, or experimental units. Battles can be fought simultaneously at different parts of the map, managing your armies of land, sea, and air alone could distract long enough to have fallen behind on base building.

1. PC Gamer UK
    A remarkable piece of work, and a worthy successor to "Total Annihilation." Strategy games don't come this big, and this ambitious, and they never demand this much from you. Take command - if you think you can handle it. [Feb 2007, p.62]
  2. PC Gamer
    This is all-out war on a scale we've never seen before, and it is glorious. [Mar 2007, p.23]
  3. Sup Com is very much a PC gamer's beast, and the supernova-sized war games may prove a little too demanding for anyone other than accomplished RTS players (our heads still hurt from the last LAN skirmish). If only for its sheer scale and battle mechanics, this should be sampled by every RTS fan with a graphics card - and indeed, mental powers - that are up to the task.