8.3

1. Nov 12, 2014
    Almost the perfect RTS. Strategy, tactics, music, atmosphere, graphics, sound, mega-armies, superrobots, all there. Hundred-thousands of skirmish units have already exploded on my screen. It takes weeks to master, but when you do, it's worth every second The best strategy game i have ever played in fact.Greatest RTS ever! Resource system is ingenious, at least i think so. The game is veryAlmost the perfect RTS. Strategy, tactics, music, atmosphere, graphics, sound, mega-armies, superrobots, all there. Hundred-thousands of skirmish units have already exploded on my screen. It takes weeks to master, but when you do, it's worth every second The best strategy game i have ever played in fact.Greatest RTS ever! Resource system is ingenious, at least i think so. The game is very complex, has so many units, four factions total, GIANT units, great command structure, incredibly massive scale, Naval battles, and air power the likes of which I've never seen in another RTS! Expand
  2. Jul 7, 2014
    Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is a very diverse RTS. The game features several tiers of units. Each tier, usually referred to as tech 1-4, the units have more damage, health or utility. Each tier having lots of units within them. Land, air, naval and stand alone units are all included. Games can be played with 2-12 players on maps that range from small to insanely massive. The forgedSupreme Commander Forged Alliance is a very diverse RTS. The game features several tiers of units. Each tier, usually referred to as tech 1-4, the units have more damage, health or utility. Each tier having lots of units within them. Land, air, naval and stand alone units are all included. Games can be played with 2-12 players on maps that range from small to insanely massive. The forged alliance forever community, a community made by players with a better game game client than steam, is helpful and very friendly to new players.

The game starts with just your Armored Commander Unit(ACU). Your ACU is a diverse unit that has high build rate but also can be very useful for fighting early on. Games vary immensely on size of map and skill of the players involved. Maps with high resource escalate quickly towards high tier units. Longer games will see experimentals(tech 4 units), nukes and long range artillery. There's also plenty of units that allow you to out think your opponent. For example some factions have mobile shield units, stealth fields and plenty of other great features. The Forged Alliance Forever(FAF) community has made lots of custom games and hundreds of new maps so game possibles are endless.

Overall the game is a lot of to play whether you are competitive or casual about gaming. I'd recommend it to any gamer who likes RTS games.
  3. Feb 1, 2014
    The spiritual successor to Total Annihilation by the same developer. The graphics are improved and there are now 3 factions with what appear on the surface to be diverse playstyles. Unfortunately this is mostly on the surface as the large map sizes often meant ground combat became a total stalemate and it turned into a sheer brute force weight of numbers and economy battle rather thanThe spiritual successor to Total Annihilation by the same developer. The graphics are improved and there are now 3 factions with what appear on the surface to be diverse playstyles. Unfortunately this is mostly on the surface as the large map sizes often meant ground combat became a total stalemate and it turned into a sheer brute force weight of numbers and economy battle rather than tactics. The existence of the shield generator buildings made it possible to create mass overlapping shield bubbles that made most attacks incapable of doing much critical or significant damage.

Finally, the Commander unit itself while nice is a far cry from the Total Annihilation commander with its D-gun. The Commander was near the end of the game more liability than asset due to its volatile death explosion, and its gun, while in theory capable of one hit killing most things, was not enough to save it as the gun did not penetrate through multiple units like the D-Gun. This meant the Commander in mid to late game could not fight its way from any reasonable sized collection units, and was often reduced to hiding in its base.
  4. Dec 31, 2013
    This game holds a special place in my heart, I've been playing RTS games forever and this one never gets old! It has it all: GIANT robotic armies, tons of ground/air/naval units, experimental weapons (Colossus robots, flying motherships, etc.), great balancing, good difficulty curve, endless fun in Skirmish mode against AI. The campaigns aren't bad, they're not the best but they areThis game holds a special place in my heart, I've been playing RTS games forever and this one never gets old! It has it all: GIANT robotic armies, tons of ground/air/naval units, experimental weapons (Colossus robots, flying motherships, etc.), great balancing, good difficulty curve, endless fun in Skirmish mode against AI. The campaigns aren't bad, they're not the best but they are enjoyable and have somewhat interesting stories. The Skirmish mode is amazing, AI has multiple difficulty settings that will never stop challenging you, the battles are complex and strategic, and the unit count is off the charts! If you like RTS games with huge armies, tons of units to choose from, MANY buildings and endgame experimental weapons, definitely give this game a shot! I played this along with War Front: Turning Point, C&C3, AoE III, Starcraft: BW, and Warcraft III, and the only game out of those that were better than Supreme Commander was Warcraft III. One of the best RTS's I've ever played, probably my third favorite of all time. The three different races are complex and give a good variety to any battle, and the amount of different attacks/approaches/defenses that are available is incredible, and will make sure no two battles play out the same way!

The campaign's theme of EXPANDING the map instead of loading a different one makes the game require some heavy duty hardware in your computer. By the end of a mission the map will be HUGE and there'll probably be like 1000 units on it at once, so be warned that you need a hefty computer to handle this game, or you'll have to decrease the graphics a lot (Which by the way, the graphics are REALLY good for when this game was made: they even stand up to today's standards in some aspects!).
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    If you liked Total Annihilation back in the day, this is made by the same lead designer and is a spiritual successor. It has a current metacritic score of 86/100 and is a seriously fun game. It features full dual monitor support (each screen in showing a different location, eg. one on your base and the other the front line, or whatever you like. very handy for an RTS) The defaultIf you liked Total Annihilation back in the day, this is made by the same lead designer and is a spiritual successor. It has a current metacritic score of 86/100 and is a seriously fun game. It features full dual monitor support (each screen in showing a different location, eg. one on your base and the other the front line, or whatever you like. very handy for an RTS) The default population cap is 1000 units per player. Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    Looks great. Plays fun. Lots of explosions in this one. As with the original Total Annihilation game, I think the best part is that the production/building process can be sped up by having multiple drones (and/or your commander) build the same thing at the same time.

Excellent UI design, in my opinion, particularly the multimonitor support that they have. This was never really a

This was never really a story-driven game for me, and I only played to build units and watch them blow each other up essentially. Of course, I do like to deploy my units strategically during combat, but I also sometimes feel lazy and simply want to throw units at my enemy until they die which SC allows you to do really well once you manage your resources well enough and you have enough unit factories and drones to speed up the unit production process.
  7. Jan 6, 2013
    A grand scale RTS, and a solid 8. Supreme Commander lives up to its title, you do in fact feel like a Supreme Commander. There are many strategic outlets in this game that you can employ to stay ahead of your enemy. Like the real world, information is a key element to your plan of attack. The large scale maps can leave opponents weak and sprawled, and your attacking forces can be seenA grand scale RTS, and a solid 8. Supreme Commander lives up to its title, you do in fact feel like a Supreme Commander. There are many strategic outlets in this game that you can employ to stay ahead of your enemy. Like the real world, information is a key element to your plan of attack. The large scale maps can leave opponents weak and sprawled, and your attacking forces can be seen coming a mile away giving time for your enemy to prepare.

Base building plays a large role in survival in this game, expect to lose a lot of units to a barrage of artillery, nuclear attacks, or experimental units. Battles can be fought simultaneously at different parts of the map, managing your armies of land, sea, and air alone could distract long enough to have fallen behind on base building.
  8. May 29, 2012
    All I can say is, some people have a strange view of what makes a good RTS. Supreme Commander is a great title because this game is really supreme. I have played about every RTS I can find and this tops them all in its scale and scope of game play and it's terrific graphics. The abilities one has to control the units is simply enormous. You can queue up build orders, attack orders,All I can say is, some people have a strange view of what makes a good RTS. Supreme Commander is a great title because this game is really supreme. I have played about every RTS I can find and this tops them all in its scale and scope of game play and it's terrific graphics. The abilities one has to control the units is simply enormous. You can queue up build orders, attack orders, designate patrol paths, set ferrying orders so that transports will wait by factories until units are constructed, then load them automatically, fly them to the point of your choosing, unload and return for more reinforcements. You can set multiple build orders in a factory: Build two of these, five of those, three of these and so on, even have the loop repeat. You can upgrade the Commander with various new abilities which differs by faction. You can literally scroll out in a second to view an enormous landscape and yet still control all your units with ease. The game runs very smoothly at maximum settings with hundreds of units on the screen with any decent computer today. The models and animations are highly detailed and you can zoom in very close. No, I wouldn't compare this game to the Total War series: Those are the slowest, most boring games I ever played. If I wanted something that slow-paced, I would still be played Avalon Hill strategy board games, like I did as a child. At least they were interesting. Don't listen to the naysayers here, just look at the amount of positive reviews and realize they are only trying to rock the boat. Supreme Commander rules! Expand
  9. Dec 27, 2011
    is a great game but the ai is pretty bad, when moving huge amounts of units they collide and stop moving for a while and keep going again, although the graphics is nice and otherwise the game is pretty well built (AI IS TERRIBLEEEEEEEEE)
  10. Dec 22, 2011
    One of the better RTS games around. Supreme Commander has 3 diverse races that have many interesting and fun units. Experimental units are one of the best parts of the game. But the ability to control thousands of units in real time on a large map allows for supreme strategy unlike other RTS games. Graphics are good aswell but the user interface can be a bit hard to get the hang of.
  11. Nov 12, 2011
    Supreme Commander is a really good strategic game. It is clean, fun and makes you think. The Campaign takes up a lot of time. Playing Skirmish is fun, especially on the huge 50k by 50k maps. The units and stuff are well designed, well animated and have really good sounds.

This game is really fun, I have all three SupCom games!
  12. Jun 9, 2011
    A combination of Tier 1 units that can be massed into a huge force, tier 3 units that can be used in small strike forces, and experimental units that can be used as one would use a nuke in most other games make Supreme Commander one of the most intelligently designed RTS games in a while. Each faction is very similar yet not at all identical. The UEF have a health advantage, the Aeon haveA combination of Tier 1 units that can be massed into a huge force, tier 3 units that can be used in small strike forces, and experimental units that can be used as one would use a nuke in most other games make Supreme Commander one of the most intelligently designed RTS games in a while. Each faction is very similar yet not at all identical. The UEF have a health advantage, the Aeon have a range advantage and the Cybran have a stealth advantage. Those are just 3 of the many qualities each faction brings to the table. Do not judge this game based on the Tier 1 units, those are just to start you off. When you reach Tier 2, you have reached Supreme Commander. Expand
  13. lhw
    May 31, 2011
    It's been 4 years since the release of Supreme Commander and still today its the best real time strategy game out there. Though on a side note there isn't really any competition as any other 'strategy' game currently available is more or less only a tactic game.
    The variety of huge maps available through the community and the fun of building massive armies consisting of hundreds of small and huge robots, ships and planes is practically unrivaled. But even with thousands of units brawling on 40x40km maps its still possible to control because Supreme Commander allow you to zoom out into the strategy map. Where you can control and give advanced orders like ferries or coordinated attacks easily.
    The sometimes criticized resource- and build-system might take some time to get used to but it's in no way inferior to any other strategy game.
    The only negative critic I have is that this game hogs your PC quite radically. Even after 4 years and with a modern mid-class PC it still gets slow when 2000-3000 units are present on the map.
    In my opinion everyone with a slight interest in strategy games should get a copy of this. Including the addon 'Forged Alliance' it shouldn't cost more then 15$.
  14. Oct 3, 2010
    Almost the perfect RTS. Strategy, tactics, music, atmosphere, graphics, sound, mega-armies, superrobots, all there. Hundred-thousands of skirmish units have already exploded on my screen. It takes weeks to master, but when you do, it's worth every second. Even the atrocious campaigns with the moronic game-characters will not drag my rating down from 10.
  15. Sep 16, 2010
    Wow the game looked great i'll admit. However there are too small units on a too large map. My biggest dislike about this game is the WAITING PERIODs for your units to finally get to ur opponents base takes forever! building T3 and T4 units take forever if built with one unit...83 minutes! I noticed units takes a while late game b4 they actually build or move etc. good points r the megaWow the game looked great i'll admit. However there are too small units on a too large map. My biggest dislike about this game is the WAITING PERIODs for your units to finally get to ur opponents base takes forever! building T3 and T4 units take forever if built with one unit...83 minutes! I noticed units takes a while late game b4 they actually build or move etc. good points r the mega robots and graphics :) it sucked when in the trailors u saw this huge ass robot and when u play u have to zoom right in to get a scaled view. Id say get the game on budget like i did. I expected much more from this big letdown. Expand
  16. LucianG
    Feb 16, 2009
    If I'd have reviewed this game when I first bought it, I'd probably have given it a much lower score - the gameplay is at first a little dull, and the UI is confusing for new players. I was also experiencing very low frame rates, since my processor is quite slow.

Now, however, after patching the game and learning the ins and outs of the gameplay, I can say that it is one of the most enjoyable Real-time Strategy games I've played.
    Most importantly: **patching the game increased my frame rate from 20fps average to near-constantly above 60fps with NO changes in my hardware**. The patching system really sucks, but it's more than worth it for the performance increase, new features, and online multiplayer.

Overall, I'd say if you're new to the game (or the genre), STICK WITH SUPCOM! I did, and now I couldn't be happier with it :)
  17. riccardomercadante
    Aug 10, 2008
    Unfortunately GPG have the bad habbit to endlessy ban players for no reason. Online multiplayer would be very interesting if the whole sistem could work for more than 1 day. Most players are not able to play online for obscure reasons. Have a look on forums and see that GPG online sistem is poor and do not offer any assistence... Not to buy
  18. Jesse
    Jun 23, 2008
    Very satisfying gameplay, amazing visuals and sound. Campaign is surprisingly fleshed out. UI is lacking some polish by today's standards, which may put off the casual gamer. Overall a very solid tactical / strategy experience.
  19. Bangell
    Mar 25, 2008
    As an RTS gamer, I was seriously hyped about Supcom. But it let me down, big time. It is stupidly boring. There were some good features, like the zoom, but overall, it's terrible. You want epic? Go Total War. SupCom has hundreds of little, badly detailed blobs running around. It's just BAD. But, you owe it to yourself to try it.
  20. Killtacular
    Dec 30, 2007
    Best RTS of all time. I can tell that Chris Taylor and his team have poured their hearts and souls into making this masterpiece. It forces strategic and tactical thinking. and often forces the player to improvise new tactics in the midst of combat. Like Hector G. said "you can't win by larger army" is very true. Anyone who says that this game is unoriganal or brings nothing new has Best RTS of all time. I can tell that Chris Taylor and his team have poured their hearts and souls into making this masterpiece. It forces strategic and tactical thinking. and often forces the player to improvise new tactics in the midst of combat. Like Hector G. said "you can't win by larger army" is very true. Anyone who says that this game is unoriganal or brings nothing new has obviously only played this game for a few minutes and couldn't comprehend its vast and deep military and economy system. I have never heard of another RTS that has such an excellent Economy system (doesn't mean that there isn't another one) based on rates, building costs are deducted as the unit is built not, all the resources are taken away at once making you wait forever to get enough resources to build something then losing it all in one fell swoop then awiting forever for it to get built. Also very few other RTS games including the very good and Popular Company of Heroes have fully realized navies and air forces, radar and counter- intelligence. complete arsenal of nukes, tactical missiles, missile defenses, short and long range artillery, shield genorators, tide turning expirimentals, Full zoom from the entire map view to up close to see the smallest unit in detail, and the best and most innovative feature is the assiting of units and factories streamlining unit building, repairing, and resources gathering and really maximizing the players Command potential. In short Supreme Commander is a must have and is indeed a very origanal RTS, Its much more than it's first impression blandness (i hated it until I got the hang of it and now its incredible) But don't take my word for it go to the store and buy it and the expansion because its even more awesome, and expirience the extreme depth and immersion. Expand
  21. KevinD.
    Dec 30, 2007
    I miss contact with the units. most of the time you control them from fery high above, so you have a good battlefield overview. making all that action nothing more than moving dots on the screen. I like the large maps, but the economysystem is crap and there aint much micro'ing to it.
  22. RohanC.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Story is a little undertoned but is not as bad as a person saying "kill those guys" although the story maybe lacking the system requirements are a little steep for the simple fact the it might as well be 8600 required to run at anything above 1280X1024 I bought an 8800 for this game though and that $500 was justified.
  23. ChadG.
    Sep 12, 2007
    My altime favorite RTS game right now. Massive, allows for creative strategic thinking. There are still a few bugs here and there but the game is great.
  24. MarkI.
    Aug 29, 2007
    Best strategy game i've played since the days of red alert, and starcraft. never played TA unfortunately to compare. awesome effects, like playing the droid wars in star wars 1. System requirements aren't too demanding, it just requires that you setup your computer properly to take advantage of the hardware you have. I'm running a 4 year old bartonXp2500 with a x850xt and Best strategy game i've played since the days of red alert, and starcraft. never played TA unfortunately to compare. awesome effects, like playing the droid wars in star wars 1. System requirements aren't too demanding, it just requires that you setup your computer properly to take advantage of the hardware you have. I'm running a 4 year old bartonXp2500 with a x850xt and it runs good until i hit the really large games. Expand
  25. HectorG.
    Jul 30, 2007
    Very good strategic gaming. it's not a simply "build a loot of grunts and defeat by larger army", couse enemy defenses will crush you before even can shoot a single bullet. you need to find the weak point of the enemy base and atack with the needed units. at the very begining of the game, maybe the resource system looks weak, but when you get shields systems, long area radar, Very good strategic gaming. it's not a simply "build a loot of grunts and defeat by larger army", couse enemy defenses will crush you before even can shoot a single bullet. you need to find the weak point of the enemy base and atack with the needed units. at the very begining of the game, maybe the resource system looks weak, but when you get shields systems, long area radar, artillery, tactical missils and more, that drinks a lot of energy, you will need to be ver smart to get the resources you need. the worst part, maybe, is the story. very simple, and the scriptwriting is not as good as C&C 3, but you will get a lot of fun if you like real strategic games! Expand
  26. MitchellH.
    Jul 29, 2007
    An excellent game for anyone who is a fan of RTS's. With breathtaking graphics and enormous battles, this game actually puts the Strategy back into Real-Time Strategy. Only downside is that you need an uber-computer to play it smoothly. I have a decent computer and had to set almost all the video settings on the game down to the minimum. Still though, it has a great plot and gameplay.
  27. ScottT.
    Jul 11, 2007
    A brilliant and almost flawless addition to Chris' Total Annihilation. It may not the be "official" sequel, but it is the "spiritual successor". Amazing army sizes. * Beautiful graphics. * Unique Factions. Will steal hours from your days. * - If your computer can run it. It will demand a lot of processing power (dual-core) and a high end graphics card (My geforce 6 is running it on A brilliant and almost flawless addition to Chris' Total Annihilation. It may not the be "official" sequel, but it is the "spiritual successor". Amazing army sizes. * Beautiful graphics. * Unique Factions. Will steal hours from your days. * - If your computer can run it. It will demand a lot of processing power (dual-core) and a high end graphics card (My geforce 6 is running it on low, maybe a geforce 8 would do a better job.). Expand
  28. jb
    Jun 19, 2007
    Wanted: new and interesting game concepts. What we got was just another rock paper scissors RTS that has been done countless times before. Lame.
  29. MalcolmB.
    May 27, 2007
    I read with trepidfation the horror stories of this game running slow and grinding when it gets busy. But I have found it to be the smoothest running game I have (except the old ones)- 2gb RAM, twin 256 NVIDIA GPU in SLI mode and a 3ghz twin core processor helps. I just beat SUPREME AI in skirmish mode and am feeling prettty pleased with myself - it is my obsession of the moment (taken I read with trepidfation the horror stories of this game running slow and grinding when it gets busy. But I have found it to be the smoothest running game I have (except the old ones)- 2gb RAM, twin 256 NVIDIA GPU in SLI mode and a 3ghz twin core processor helps. I just beat SUPREME AI in skirmish mode and am feeling prettty pleased with myself - it is my obsession of the moment (taken over from trakmamia) - sad for a 44 yr old...but ya gotta love robots. Expand
  30. RobertW.
    May 24, 2007
    I've anticipated this game ever since playing its spiritual predecessor, Total Annihilation. Thankfully, the game didn't disappoint. It raises the bar for all RTSGs by its scale, its multiplayer matching and rating system GPGNet, and its modifiability. The design discourages micromanagement of battles, enabling an unrivaled scale that puts the strategy into RTSG. A recent patch I've anticipated this game ever since playing its spiritual predecessor, Total Annihilation. Thankfully, the game didn't disappoint. It raises the bar for all RTSGs by its scale, its multiplayer matching and rating system GPGNet, and its modifiability. The design discourages micromanagement of battles, enabling an unrivaled scale that puts the strategy into RTSG. A recent patch demonstrated the love that Gas Powered Games has for this game--it addressed nearly every common complaint about the initial release by tuning factional balance, fixing minor bugs and UI issues, and adding new features to make the game even more playable. Every common complaint was addressed, and performance improved to boot. Any RTSG fan should not miss this game. Expand
  31. VirtualInsanity
    May 22, 2007
    Interested to know, does this game actually support multi threading properly? I was under the impression that it did, however not much of my second core sees much use in my rig. Athlon 64 x2 3800 @ 2.4GHz 2gig Mushkin DDR400 @ 200MHz Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D XFX 7600 GT @ 620/750 300gig 7200.9 System drive 80 gig WD800JB Data drive (Swap) I have the AMD dual core patch installed. Fast andInterested to know, does this game actually support multi threading properly? I was under the impression that it did, however not much of my second core sees much use in my rig. Athlon 64 x2 3800 @ 2.4GHz 2gig Mushkin DDR400 @ 200MHz Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D XFX 7600 GT @ 620/750 300gig 7200.9 System drive 80 gig WD800JB Data drive (Swap) I have the AMD dual core patch installed. Fast and stable, yet struggles mid - late mission during most missions, typically when there are many units on the map. There really is no excuse for this, i reckon its just bad coding. High time devs started coding for multiple cores and 64 bit. I've heard plenty of excuses why not, but none of them stick. Multiple cores and 64 bit has been around for more than 10 years, and readily available on the desktop for at least the past 3 years. You struggle to find a single core 32bit Dell these days. Time to unleash the power and advantages laying dormant in our CPU's /me climbs off high horse. Adjusting graphics doesn't seem to help much. So... any ideas on how to get rid of the late game slowdown? Expand
  32. Alpha352N/A
    May 19, 2007
    It simply cannot be beat. The spiritual successor to Total Annihilation. While the game is tough on resources, it is designed for modern computers similarly to how TA was.
  33. RobertD.
    May 19, 2007
    One of the best strategy games of all time. However, you do need a beast of a machine to play it smoothly. Tactical zooming is one of the most innovative and easy-to-use methods seen in RTS games lately, and it's definitely hard to go back to a C&C 3 style game afterwards.
  34. DarkV.
    May 8, 2007
    Just Epic... Has a few flaws, but doesn't stop it from being an amazing game
  35. MichaelH.
    May 3, 2007
    Best. Strategy. Game. Ever. Running it on an AMD2 4200+ with 2 gig of RAM and a 7900GT and I have stellar performance most of the time and beautiful graphics. I literally spent minutes at a time just watching my units and still LOVE the T3 artillery swinging into position. Is this an ugly game? Not by any stretch as long as you have a decent computer. You know, buy 1500$ in parts and Best. Strategy. Game. Ever. Running it on an AMD2 4200+ with 2 gig of RAM and a 7900GT and I have stellar performance most of the time and beautiful graphics. I literally spent minutes at a time just watching my units and still LOVE the T3 artillery swinging into position. Is this an ugly game? Not by any stretch as long as you have a decent computer. You know, buy 1500$ in parts and build it yourself instead of being lazy and ordering from Dell and you might get a good machine. As for the gameplay? Priceless. I have never had an easier time with builds in my life and, to boot, there's something simple enthralling about being able to airlift units across half a map and right into battle automatically, not to mention looking cool when doing it. The visual of half a dozen heavy transports and sweeping onto an LZ is simply priceless and something no other RTS is likely to pull off soon, even the Company of Heroes (yes, I also have it) which I quite like is missing the ease of use and clean camera control which this game featured. True, I do have a minor whiff about unit AI, like most of CT's game it's a tad oddball, though enemy base AI seems to be a bit better it's reliance on unit patrols remains mystifying. This is, however, the first RTS where the AI can use nukes effectively, and the second RTS with truly ranged artillery, unlike most other games where artillery gets a scant three grid advantage over other units *cough*Starcraft*cough*. I could go further; get into the rest of the awesomeness about naval units and air units that no other game has tried to accomplish, but I'll just leave it at this. My retinas are spoiled and my scroll-wheel is a lot more worn by this game. Well done GPG! Expand
  36. AH
    Apr 15, 2007
    Dual monitor gaming Rocks!!!
  37. WillL.
    Apr 10, 2007
    This game blows. In response to a previous post about performance, its not our fault the code sucks and is totally inefficient. Can't play a game on a large map with two AI's when i have a dual core opteron @2.6GHz?? Gimme a break. I'd be willing to sacrifice performance if there was any sort of intelligence invested into the AI or your unit movement. I honestly believe This game blows. In response to a previous post about performance, its not our fault the code sucks and is totally inefficient. Can't play a game on a large map with two AI's when i have a dual core opteron @2.6GHz?? Gimme a break. I'd be willing to sacrifice performance if there was any sort of intelligence invested into the AI or your unit movement. I honestly believe this game has the worst AI and pathfinding of any RTS game EVER released. yeah the waypoints are nifty and all, but the rest of the game is same old same old. Avoid this game if you ever want to play offline, or have fun. Expand
  38. DerickC.
    Apr 2, 2007
    This type of game is what I was waiting for, a massive tactical battle, where strategy is not controlling a few units but entire armies on land, at sea and in the air. The scale of the game blew me away completely. The only complaints I have is the ridiculous pc requirements which makes any 4 player large map a slideslow and the near identical campaigns that did nothing but to introduce This type of game is what I was waiting for, a massive tactical battle, where strategy is not controlling a few units but entire armies on land, at sea and in the air. The scale of the game blew me away completely. The only complaints I have is the ridiculous pc requirements which makes any 4 player large map a slideslow and the near identical campaigns that did nothing but to introduce the units for the factions. Hopefully, some of these disappointing factors will be resolved with patches, expansions and mods. Expand
  39. ChrisW.
    Mar 31, 2007
    This is probably my favorite RTS, and it earns this distinction by actually bringing -- dare I say it -- "strategy" to a real time strategy game! No other RTS on the market has the same level of depth and immersion you'll find in Supreme Commander. The control system is amazing -- unlike other RTS games where you can give your units "orders" in Supreme Commander you can give them This is probably my favorite RTS, and it earns this distinction by actually bringing -- dare I say it -- "strategy" to a real time strategy game! No other RTS on the market has the same level of depth and immersion you'll find in Supreme Commander. The control system is amazing -- unlike other RTS games where you can give your units "orders" in Supreme Commander you can give them entire missions! By queuing up commands you can have some of your units automatically carry out simple tasks or "hit-and-run" missions while you focus you attention on more complicated battles. While some may find the base creation system and resource system tedious, I find it a fun challenge to develop the most effecient war machine possible. I refrain from giving it a perfect "10" only because some minor balance issues make certain units almost entirely unnecessary. I would also offer caution to anyone who tries running this game on anything other than a VERY powerful system as you are likely to be dissapointed with it's performance. That said, if you have a computer that can handle it, and if you feel that RTS should be about more than just rushing or "point-and-click" invasions from a large, unorganized mob, than you should definitely give this game a try. Expand
  40. AJ
    Mar 28, 2007
    Awesome, any magnitude of the whole battlefield in your view with just the use of scroll! Graphics next gen stunning, it IS the next evolution in RTS; proving to be a true incarnate of Total Annihilation.
  41. KevinB.
    Mar 27, 2007
    What a great game! I've been waiting for years and years for Total Annihilation 2 to come out and that's exactly what Supreme Commander is. Now, don't get me wrong, the Total War series is great and Company of Heroes is an excellent title, but THIS is the game that true RTS fans have been waiting for. It has the scale of a turn-based strategy game with the pace of a What a great game! I've been waiting for years and years for Total Annihilation 2 to come out and that's exactly what Supreme Commander is. Now, don't get me wrong, the Total War series is great and Company of Heroes is an excellent title, but THIS is the game that true RTS fans have been waiting for. It has the scale of a turn-based strategy game with the pace of a real-time strategy game. BEWARE, however - SupCom will put your brain to the test. Imagine a game of chess where each turn lasts no more than 2 seconds and there are approximately 700 pieces on a board the size of Rhode Island... then you'll begin to understand the breadth of this epic game. If you can put on your thinking cap for a few hours, you'll see the intricacies of the incredible build/orders queue system and you'll become giddy when you realize you've mastered your own, completely unique build strategy to take you from measly scout bots to giant UFO's and Fusion Reactors before your opponent can say "Spiritual Successor to Total Annihilation" four times without messing up! Only reason it doesn't get a 10 is b/c they lied about system requirements. An Athlon XP 3000+ w/ 2gb RAM and a 256mb graphics card could NOT handle this game. Had to go upgrade to a 3.4ghz P4 and a new mobo to get the "medium" fidelity on relatively small 1v1 games. Go for a quad core if you want to play 4v4... Expand
  42. ChrisC.
    Mar 23, 2007
    Excellent. Fun. Deep. Colorful. Explosive. Gargantuan. And one word to rule them all: Epic. The game design is top-notch, and forgoes the norm to take a different approach with resources and construction, similar only to its very predecessor, Total Annihilation. If anyone can find a game as ground-breaking or as big as this, please let me know. Also, modding and map-making can be as easy Excellent. Fun. Deep. Colorful. Explosive. Gargantuan. And one word to rule them all: Epic. The game design is top-notch, and forgoes the norm to take a different approach with resources and construction, similar only to its very predecessor, Total Annihilation. If anyone can find a game as ground-breaking or as big as this, please let me know. Also, modding and map-making can be as easy as using pictures as heightmaps. Fans have already churned out tons of maps, and mods are sure to come, once a development kit is released. Expand
  43. DavidL.
    Mar 18, 2007
    This is to everybody that gave this game a 0 - get a better computer! You just have sour grapes because your hardware sucks - get over it, and get over yourselves.......It is by far the best rts game to come out, period.
  44. TheCaptain
    Mar 18, 2007
    Certainly the best RTS I've ever played. This game is increadibly addicting and great to play with friends. There seem to be bugs here and there, but it would be silly to let that compromise my rating when everything else is pretty much great. The game play is designed to let you truly strategize. Instead of just making the biggest army telling it to attack you can make many platoons Certainly the best RTS I've ever played. This game is increadibly addicting and great to play with friends. There seem to be bugs here and there, but it would be silly to let that compromise my rating when everything else is pretty much great. The game play is designed to let you truly strategize. Instead of just making the biggest army telling it to attack you can make many platoons and use queued movements to make them attack in just the right places at just the right time. The subtle differences in the three factions do in fact make choosing between them mean a lot. Expand
  45. MichaelR.
    Mar 16, 2007
    I stopped playing after a week. Despite the sheer size of the maps and armies, the game is nothing amazing; the sides are pretty much the same apart from the aesthetics, the campaign is awful (plus the dialogue is silly filled with quantum gates, quantum virus, quantum AI, quantum wakes . . . eh), and the game crashes my computer every five minutes.
  46. ConstatineC.
    Mar 14, 2007
    This game is really the next revolution in RTS, CNC3 is going down as its just a rehash, EA's specialty.
  47. RobertR.
    Mar 14, 2007
    This is what RTS is all about: hundreds of units per side, massive maps, devastating weapons and endless action. Best game I've played for years!
  48. RandallS.
    Mar 12, 2007
    They call this a game? I have no idea what all the hype is about, myself, I was horrified when I played this sorry excuse for an rpg. And here's why. 1. The maps are ridiculously large it takes many minutes to walk half way across the map, no exaggeration. 2. You rarely get to actually watch your guys duke it out with the enemy, you have to go to the tactical overlay every 5 seconds. They call this a game? I have no idea what all the hype is about, myself, I was horrified when I played this sorry excuse for an rpg. And here's why. 1. The maps are ridiculously large it takes many minutes to walk half way across the map, no exaggeration. 2. You rarely get to actually watch your guys duke it out with the enemy, you have to go to the tactical overlay every 5 seconds. 3. You spend all your time building powerplants. The resource system is horribly weak. You just build certain buildings and they give you resources, or tell your guys to go eat rocks or trees. 4. He who gets a larger army wins. Pretty much all you do is build many bases, and many soldiers and send them to the fray. This game did not interest me at all from the moment I started, however I forced myself to finish for the sake of this article. Bottom line, calling this game a strategy came is ignorant. Get a real game, one from the ages series preferably, Medieval 2 is a great one too if you like a mix of strategy and rts. Expand
  49. Jin
    Mar 5, 2007
    If you have anything above a 3ghz CPU 1gb Ram and a Nvidia 6600GT 256mb Graphics card then this game is playable on minimum settings. Maps are good ranging from 10x10 km square to 80x80km square so its as big or small as you like. some great camera controls using the ctrl+v keys to lock the view into place and plenty of base building and battle action.
  50. JMha'ma
    Mar 4, 2007
    This game sucks. Period
  51. Xenois
    Mar 1, 2007
    All articles posted by the new fans of the game have been dull. They don't realize potential warefare strategy of massive environment. So i u spend 1 hour/40 minutes building a base after that its game on. Relising only what every game has, is AI will never beat u. I say 10 for 10 for multi-player and game like this, I have all the time in the world. Pluss having to upgrade your All articles posted by the new fans of the game have been dull. They don't realize potential warefare strategy of massive environment. So i u spend 1 hour/40 minutes building a base after that its game on. Relising only what every game has, is AI will never beat u. I say 10 for 10 for multi-player and game like this, I have all the time in the world. Pluss having to upgrade your computer to run the game, u shouldn't be worried as well all know that GPU/CPU prices will drop because of the new Technology hitting our computers (AMD3) (quad cores) it can only get better and cheaper. AMD number 1 always Expand
  52. MarkJ.
    Feb 28, 2007
    This is a game that seems to illustrate "What Might Have Been." It is not a game that follows the way that RTS have developed. In most RTS's, it feels to me that the player guides their units or squad from encounter to encounter, trying to build up that one group so that you can take out the enemy's base. You rarely focus on multiple fronts. From what I've seen and This is a game that seems to illustrate "What Might Have Been." It is not a game that follows the way that RTS have developed. In most RTS's, it feels to me that the player guides their units or squad from encounter to encounter, trying to build up that one group so that you can take out the enemy's base. You rarely focus on multiple fronts. From what I've seen and experienced, COH did a good job of making you think about the entire battlefield...but SupCom does it even better. In SupCom, I've found that I don't try to think about using one or two squads to conquer the entire map. Instead, I end up setting up multiple rallying points, support lines, and firebases outputting troops. I am CONSTANTLY expanding and thinking about how to best approach my enemy. I find that I use Radar and Scouts to (GASP) actually gather intelligence. And then, I use a combination of air, ground and sea units to begin try and remove the capabilities of my opponent. But, here are the high points. The way the game handles patrol points is fantastic. The Ferry System...as soon as I figured that out, I had a moment of "Oh Dear LORD!" It's very elegant and simple. I can now, with this game, set up a transport to ferry to one location, which creates a Ferry Point. Then, I can have a few factories produce units in tandem (2 or more factories producing the same build order on repeat, a very nice touch) and have them dispatch their new troops to the Ferry Point. Then, by ordering my other transports to Assist the original transport, all of a sudden I have a FLEET of transports moving my rapidly developing strike force. It's a beautiful sight. This game does a good job in moving your focus to the entire field of battle, instead of just one "path." I find myself fighting on multiple fronts...and loving it in this game where as I would have hated it in any game before. I find myself looking at each map as a puzzle to be solved, instead of a series of discreet engagements leading up to a base trashing romp with a "super squad." Here, it's a full field battle. Oh, and besides that...the nukes are just fabulous. Expand
  53. Thomas
    Feb 28, 2007
    Excellent game. My only real gripe is it takes quite some time to develop the most powerful stuff. And, to get high resolution with all the eye candy you'll need top of the line equipment.
  54. MikeG.
    Feb 27, 2007
    Total Annihilation was brilliant compared to the other RTS games in its day, and Supreme Commander just takes it to the next level. I'm rather baffled by some of the comments here about the graphics (my graphics card and I beg to differ) and the intricacies of the gameplay are astonishing. I've played Command & Conquer since I was in 2nd grade, but C&C was just never as flexible Total Annihilation was brilliant compared to the other RTS games in its day, and Supreme Commander just takes it to the next level. I'm rather baffled by some of the comments here about the graphics (my graphics card and I beg to differ) and the intricacies of the gameplay are astonishing. I've played Command & Conquer since I was in 2nd grade, but C&C was just never as flexible or as epic in scale as Supreme Commander is. Expand
  55. ChrisZ.
    Feb 27, 2007
    This is the best RTS I have ever played, and almost the best game I've ever played. The graphics, while not very important, are incredible. This means you need a great computer to run it well, but with this game your framerate isn't exactly essential. I can play well at 10-15 fps, which is where I usually stay. I don't like that you have to run the game in 1024x768 as a This is the best RTS I have ever played, and almost the best game I've ever played. The graphics, while not very important, are incredible. This means you need a great computer to run it well, but with this game your framerate isn't exactly essential. I can play well at 10-15 fps, which is where I usually stay. I don't like that you have to run the game in 1024x768 as a minimum, but other than that it's great. The units are all unique and useful, without having anything just used for filler. The AI is good enough to hold its own for those nights with no friends, while not being over done. The maps go from small 1 on 1 quick matches, to epic 4v4 world-sized conquests that take hours upon hours to complete, and are never boring. This game is a great time spender. I say spender, because to call it a waste of time would be completely untrue. You owe it to yourself to play this game, and you will love every minute of it. Expand
  56. JohnJ.
    Feb 27, 2007
    This is a truly epic RTS game. If you like RTS games you owe it to yourself to seriously consider getting it. At first glance it may not seem like much but give it some time to get a grasp of it or check out the better replays available in GPGnet. I've seen people talking about the game online in forums and often they are mistaken as to a certain feature or ability of the game so This is a truly epic RTS game. If you like RTS games you owe it to yourself to seriously consider getting it. At first glance it may not seem like much but give it some time to get a grasp of it or check out the better replays available in GPGnet. I've seen people talking about the game online in forums and often they are mistaken as to a certain feature or ability of the game so just because someone says X doesn't mean its true. This is a huge and well thought out game. Many people complain it's a spam units kind of RTS but the game offers many types of ways to defend, too. Also not all players are spammers and in games with more than two people you have another added dynamic. The graphics are simply amazing. You can pan the camera around and move it rather intuitively which is more applicable when watching replays because you'll be busy when commanding. Just watching the good SupCom replays, though, is very enjoyable all on its own. One of the really cool things about this game is watching huge numbers of units go into battle. I just watched about 80 fighters flying around and not only is it nice to be able to command so many, it's just beautiful to watch. Each unit has a lot of computation as to firing angle, speed, target tracking speed, experience, speed of movement, height, etc etc etc. The game is doing a lot of computation for each unit and this adds a lot to gameplay and replayability. I agree with Ira Gardner-Morse's previous comments here on this page except with his mention of the slow game performance in the single digits -- it was slow for me too until I set my directx sound acceleration to 'basic' (until the patch comes out to fix this) because of a known bug (feb 2007). Once I did that, performance is quite good for me on my AMD 4200+X2 with nV7600GT with 1GB of RAM. I love SupCom and I've had it less than a week. I've been gaming since about 1976 and I've played a hell of a lot of games. This is a great game. Expand
  57. MadhaX
    Feb 25, 2007
    Yeah, this game blows. Most of the people here have already covered why -- crappy graphics, no strategy, poor models, cheap sound, overly large maps that take the fun out of watching your units and the battles since you have to zoom out, the constant need to build more power generators rather than, you know, actually play the game. Waste of time; you want something fun, try Company of Yeah, this game blows. Most of the people here have already covered why -- crappy graphics, no strategy, poor models, cheap sound, overly large maps that take the fun out of watching your units and the battles since you have to zoom out, the constant need to build more power generators rather than, you know, actually play the game. Waste of time; you want something fun, try Company of Heroes -- awesome game. Expand
  58. SolitoN
    Feb 25, 2007
    I can't say I enjoyed this in the least bit -- I wasn't even able to play past the tutorial before being overwhelmed by disappointment, an urge to fall asleep, and even a little disgust. I don't see anything in this game that hasn't been done better in RTS games that came out before it -- the tutorial isn't very friendly (no scripted, guided scenarios, just a I can't say I enjoyed this in the least bit -- I wasn't even able to play past the tutorial before being overwhelmed by disappointment, an urge to fall asleep, and even a little disgust. I don't see anything in this game that hasn't been done better in RTS games that came out before it -- the tutorial isn't very friendly (no scripted, guided scenarios, just a bunch of disjointed videos), the graphics are terrible -- poor, tiny unit models with no detail whatsoever, and dull, lifeless textures that aren't engaging. The unit sounds and music lose their novelty fast, as units only make one sound when selected. The interface is uninteresting -- wow, little pictures in colored boxes. Gee, thanks. I can't say much about the maps or the gameplay -- I didn't play past the tutorial and I see no reason to. Games like Command and Conquer and Company of Heroes provide everything at it' best -- gameplay, graphics, music, sound, the interface, it's all there and it's all AMAZING. Some might argue that the gameplay is worth it. and that the extra large maps add an interesting dimension, but I still don't find that it's enough to make this game worth any serious attention. Expand
  59. OldSkool
    Feb 22, 2007
    So I have been reading some of the reviews and honestly, they seem to be mostly judged on the Demo. I played the beta since November of last year, and to say the game is boring without any strategic options, is utterly insane. There are so many ways to win or lose in just a 1v1 game. The tide of battle can turn on lucky strike or a beaten down foe can recover and defeat thier attacker So I have been reading some of the reviews and honestly, they seem to be mostly judged on the Demo. I played the beta since November of last year, and to say the game is boring without any strategic options, is utterly insane. There are so many ways to win or lose in just a 1v1 game. The tide of battle can turn on lucky strike or a beaten down foe can recover and defeat thier attacker while on the ropes. Forget the many ways to exploit a group of players in larger maps with 2v2 and 3v3 4v4 games. But I do understand what people think strategy is how quickly you can click the "Special Spell" on their SnoreCraft "SuperHeroes" at the right instant. These are the same people who thought Mortal Combat was the first RTS. Then again it might be the system requirements, yes you need to have a video card that is 33% as powerful as the current generations. Sorry, want to play games without investment - by a PS3. To see if you suck and just don't know it - visit Tom's Hardware and peep the VGA charts. Secondly, for the AI to have any chance at all in a single player game (yes it must use the CPU to 'think'), forgetting about multiple AI's, you will need a fast or Dual Core processor. Now that I have covered the technical aspects. Let's go over some the possible ways to win. By land - early or late with Air Support. Bombers and fighters doing early game attrition damage. Using transports/ferry system to move massive numbers of Tech1 and Tech2 land troops close the enemy base - works on a large or small maps. Using Naval, even Tech1 Navy can hit from a distance, Tech 2 and 3 are devastating. Missile strikes, tactical and strategic nukes. Medium, long and global artillery, backed up by multi tiered mobile artillery. You can lunge at an opponent, who can defend or strike back. You can hurl death through the air from a heavy protected base, wearing down your foe's defenses. You can scramble for resources and Tech up quickly for a pin point execution of the enemy commander. The list is nearly endless, capturing rather than destroying unprotected targets, covert remote base constructions, power or mass generation strikes, huge experimental units, combination of land with air and naval bombardment support. Any critic who said the game is simplistic is painfully two dimensional in their tactics and I, like the rest of SupCom beta testers would love to ring the bell, and school them on tactics. Expand
  60. MoritzV.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Easily the best RTS in existence. Gameplay for years! It differs hugely from run-of-the-mill Command & Conquer or ****Craft clones. Perfectly suited for e-Sports IMHO, I've been playing in the beta among the top 10 and am somewhere in the top 100 at the moment. This is a very competitive and very balanced game, with fast-paced action once you understand its simple, but unique economy Easily the best RTS in existence. Gameplay for years! It differs hugely from run-of-the-mill Command & Conquer or ****Craft clones. Perfectly suited for e-Sports IMHO, I've been playing in the beta among the top 10 and am somewhere in the top 100 at the moment. This is a very competitive and very balanced game, with fast-paced action once you understand its simple, but unique economy model. (okay, not so unique - we had that model in Total Annihilation, its spiritual predecessor, and we loved it!) Expand
  61. IraGardner-Morse
    Feb 21, 2007
    Let me just say that this game is incredible. It surpasses every bit of hype, and all of my expectations. It's amazingly fun, and the single player alone will have you hooked for a long time. The single-player is well presented, with a throwback to Starcraft (vanilla) in the mix of short pre-rendered cut-scenes, gameplay, and mission-briefings. The story here is above average, and Let me just say that this game is incredible. It surpasses every bit of hype, and all of my expectations. It's amazingly fun, and the single player alone will have you hooked for a long time. The single-player is well presented, with a throwback to Starcraft (vanilla) in the mix of short pre-rendered cut-scenes, gameplay, and mission-briefings. The story here is above average, and any sci-fi fan will enjoy it. Multilayer is where this title really shines. Like Total Annihilation, this is all about macromanagement and strategy. We've got features that should have been though up years ago (movable waypoints on patrol routes come to mind), and some seriously bad-ass units. Shields are implemented better here then in any RTS previously, (they block shots that hit them, rather than giving a unit more hit points), making their use critical to success later in game. There are enough different strategies here to keep you playing for a decade at least; patches, easy-to-create mods, and expansions should add even more tactics. Resources aren't the PITA they were in Total Annihilation, as you can quickly build heavy mass or power generators that provide virtually infinite resources. Now, the down sides. There are a few minor annoyances which a patch should be able to fix (namely an inability to cue up commander upgrades, and the fact that you can't set patrol points from a new factory to match those of an existing one, resulting in a million different patrol routes by the end of the game). All in all, these are minor, and won't bother 99% of people. The big issue here is system requirements. I've tried running the game on a couple of different computers, and, I can safely say that when Chris Taylor says the game will run on a 6600, he means, it will start up. At lowest settings, the game gets single digit frame rates on a 256 meg 7600GS, on a machine with a gig of ram and a 3 ghz processor. And that's on the smallest map with two players and a unit cap of 250 (the lowest). If you want to run the game at a mediocre frame rate (20-25FPS), I would say that a 7900GT would be a minimum. Duel core and a few gigs of RAM is a must. If you enjoyed Starcraft, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Age of Empires II, Total Annihilation, or Dawn of War chances are you'll love this game. It's the perfect blend of civ building and brutal combat combined with excellent strategy, assuming your machine can run it. Overall: 8/10. This would be a 10/10, had the game not lied about it's minimum requirements. Expand
  62. ARealRTSFan
    Feb 21, 2007
    A nice change of pace from the other Real-time strategy games out there. It
  63. Magnus
    Feb 20, 2007
    Definitely an epic strategy game. It's massive scale and superb UI compliments the excellent graphics and AI to a point which has been sorely missed in RTS as of late. Any RTS gamer will need to purchase this excellent game and enjoy it's splendor. A word of warning however. The system requirements are very high. Expect poor framerates and stuttering on anything below mid-high Definitely an epic strategy game. It's massive scale and superb UI compliments the excellent graphics and AI to a point which has been sorely missed in RTS as of late. Any RTS gamer will need to purchase this excellent game and enjoy it's splendor. A word of warning however. The system requirements are very high. Expect poor framerates and stuttering on anything below mid-high end gaming PC's. Expand
  64. ManlioM.
    Feb 20, 2007
    brand new engine, very old gameplay concept. build massive units and toss'em into the fray... what a big yaaaaawn!
  65. Monty
    Feb 20, 2007
    Excelent game, can be a bit demanding on the pc if you havent upgrades in over 18 months, intrsting thing about this game is how versatile it is when creating your stratagys, for example you can select say super fast jet fighters and slow tanks to perform a joint attack on some point on the map meaning that they will both arrive at there destination at the same time, then theres the Excelent game, can be a bit demanding on the pc if you havent upgrades in over 18 months, intrsting thing about this game is how versatile it is when creating your stratagys, for example you can select say super fast jet fighters and slow tanks to perform a joint attack on some point on the map meaning that they will both arrive at there destination at the same time, then theres the waypoints where you hold shift and you can manipulate patrol paths by dragging waypoints to new areas. theres plenty to offer the proffional RTS gamer out there. the online side of things turn out to be a intresting affair aswell with player using very different strategies, tank or aircraft rushes dont always work and its not always best to try and race those tech 3 units out. if you find an opponent that is your equil you may find a rather long battle on your hands and in my books thats good. Expand
  66. GlynnF.
    Feb 19, 2007
    This is one of the best RTS games of all time without a doubt, An honest recreation of Total Annihilation. Doesn't need amazing specs to run (maybe a boost in RAM would help most people having problems) With a unique method of collecting resources that doesn't rely heavly on micromanagement, and with many novel and quite frankly ingenious features (The ability to alter the This is one of the best RTS games of all time without a doubt, An honest recreation of Total Annihilation. Doesn't need amazing specs to run (maybe a boost in RAM would help most people having problems) With a unique method of collecting resources that doesn't rely heavly on micromanagement, and with many novel and quite frankly ingenious features (The ability to alter the waypoints for patrolling comes to mind.) This game seriously raises the bar to a level that C&C3 will have to try very hard to match Also, please Ignore the reviewer at Australian GamePro who decided to throw a hissy fit because his machine is having problems the real meta score for this game should be 90. Expand
  67. AndrewP.
    Feb 14, 2007
    I think the Australian GamePro bunch should re test Supreme Commander. Seems like they are the only ones with performance issues. Maybe they should pull their head out and realize ther may have been a problem with the system they tested on. If you ask me they had nothing but the intention of giving Sup Com a bad score anyway.
  68. MikkoM.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Really cool trategy game and a worthy successor to Total Anhilation.
  69. Mobius
    Feb 14, 2007
    To start my rig is XP OS 3200+ athlon 1GB Ram Geforce 6600gt 256mb currently im happy with this as it plays all current games at 1280x1024 with full options on, but for Supreme Commander this is nowhere near enough power. for me i can start the game with full detail but once the map starts to get full the pc chugs along so for me to get a playable perfomance i am requird to play at To start my rig is XP OS 3200+ athlon 1GB Ram Geforce 6600gt 256mb currently im happy with this as it plays all current games at 1280x1024 with full options on, but for Supreme Commander this is nowhere near enough power. for me i can start the game with full detail but once the map starts to get full the pc chugs along so for me to get a playable perfomance i am requird to play at 1024x768 with all options off. the good thing is that even with all options off it doesnt look an ugly game but its a reminder to think about upgrading for the future. the game its self is a master peice of RTS gaming and any self respecting RTS player should not miss this. no longer are you restricted to the typical small scale playing area like you find in any other RTS. for me when my rig is upgraded to run this properly it will be the ultimate RTS. i would say to get the most out of this your gonna need a dual or quad core cpu with 3 gig ram and the latest G card. Expand
  70. JamieS.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Yet another RTS. Ignoring all the hoohah and blather about its graphics etc what we have is just ...another RTS. As there've been hundreds (And possibly more than a thousand now) of RTS's released, you need to do something special to stand out from the crowd. GPG's answer to that was graphical; they made an RTS with large differences of scale between the units. But apart Yet another RTS. Ignoring all the hoohah and blather about its graphics etc what we have is just ...another RTS. As there've been hundreds (And possibly more than a thousand now) of RTS's released, you need to do something special to stand out from the crowd. GPG's answer to that was graphical; they made an RTS with large differences of scale between the units. But apart from that the differences are minor. I found it yawn-inducing. Yes it's got integrated cut-scenes, a story line, character development etc etc --the whole check-list -- but as a game, it just feels like every other RTS you've played before.In fact, it feels like a skin-pack for Age of Empires 3 -- Age of Empires 3 in space, if you like. I've already uninstalled it. If you're an RTS fan you'll probably love it like you do every RTS; the average gamer will probably find it boring. I sure did. Expand
  71. ji
    Feb 13, 2007
    A huge letdown. I was waiting for this game to be the next big step in RTS gaming, but it feels like a step backward. Yes it has a large scope, at the cost of just about everything else that makes RTS gaming so much fun. The units feel bland and generic and the action feels removed and sterile. The graphics are subpar when compared to other recent RTS games which help lend to the bland A huge letdown. I was waiting for this game to be the next big step in RTS gaming, but it feels like a step backward. Yes it has a large scope, at the cost of just about everything else that makes RTS gaming so much fun. The units feel bland and generic and the action feels removed and sterile. The graphics are subpar when compared to other recent RTS games which help lend to the bland removed feel of the game. I am sadly disapointed by this game that I've been wating so long for. One final complaint, the UI is ridiculously big (even on higher resoulutions). The actual gameplay takes place in a small window in the center of the screen surrounded by excessively large box of superfluous buttons. It is like playing the game in a letterboxed format, and while increasing the resolution does help somewhat it does not entirely mitigate the problem and may not be feasable for people with less than state of the art computers since the game takes a significant amount of processing power to begin with. A lot of people do seem to enjoy the game, so this one disillusioned gamer's opinion should not disuade you from trying the game or at least the demo. Expand
  72. MikeC.
    RTS on a grand scale.
  73. BrandonJ.
    Feb 13, 2007
    If you bother to post, make sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the performance, because that's YOUR fault, not the game's.
  74. SharbazR.
    Feb 13, 2007
    Utterly Appalling! This game is HORRIBLE. Way too confusing, too much to manage, dull, poor graphics. Words of wisdom, SAVE YOUR MONEY!
  75. DanielN.
    Feb 13, 2007
    Some issues with AI but neverthless an overwhelmingly excellent game.
  76. StevW.
    Feb 9, 2007
    Excellent zoom system, makes everything very easy. Many innovations, hugescale combat. incredible. Easy to learn, and very smooth even on fairly low-end computers as long as you have a dual-core processor and enough RAM for the gametype you're playing.
  77. JamesA.
    Feb 9, 2007
    Supreme Commander had everything. a monster graphics engine, a cool idea, spiffy races, and everything in between. but believe you me, after playing around with the demo, and putzing around with the beta, this game started to wilt like a geriatric male in bed. supreme commander did not live up to expectations. after playing the demo, i found that basebuilding took over then entire game.Supreme Commander had everything. a monster graphics engine, a cool idea, spiffy races, and everything in between. but believe you me, after playing around with the demo, and putzing around with the beta, this game started to wilt like a geriatric male in bed. supreme commander did not live up to expectations. after playing the demo, i found that basebuilding took over then entire game. this left no room for micromanagemant of forces, because your too busy building your next power generator. this makes the game as boring as watching paint dry. can a map be too large? yes, it can. supreme commander is another example of a cool idea that will never work out (like communism). because the fighting area is so huge, your restricted to using the tactical overview map just to be able to keep a degree of control over all of your forces. if you want a grand scale game, go for medieval II:total war, not supreme commander. if you want a tactical game, get company of heroes. if you just want a satellite view of 20 000 square kilometres, go play with google earth, its free, and more exciting than this game. Expand
    Feb 8, 2007
    Not much real strategy, basically the same as the majority of other rts games from the past 10 years, build more units and more powerful units than your enemy and thats it.
  79. BrianL.
    Feb 8, 2007
    Possibly the best RTS games I've ever played. The strategic zoom is so perfect that you wonder why it's never been used before. And there's a certain kind of satisfaction you get from sending your giant experimental units or nukes at the enemy that you won't find anywhere else. My only frustration at this point is the major slowdown you get when playing multiplayer (at Possibly the best RTS games I've ever played. The strategic zoom is so perfect that you wonder why it's never been used before. And there's a certain kind of satisfaction you get from sending your giant experimental units or nukes at the enemy that you won't find anywhere else. My only frustration at this point is the major slowdown you get when playing multiplayer (at least in beta version). Expand
  80. SteveL.
    Jan 18, 2007
    I love this game.

1. A remarkable piece of work, and a worthy successor to "Total Annihilation." Strategy games don't come this big, and this ambitious, and they never demand this much from you. Take command - if you think you can handle it. [Feb 2007, p.62]
  2. This is all-out war on a scale we've never seen before, and it is glorious. [Mar 2007, p.23]
  3. Sup Com is very much a PC gamer's beast, and the supernova-sized war games may prove a little too demanding for anyone other than accomplished RTS players (our heads still hurt from the last LAN skirmish). If only for its sheer scale and battle mechanics, this should be sampled by every RTS fan with a graphics card - and indeed, mental powers - that are up to the task.