8.4

1. Mar 30, 2013
    Syberia is a pure adventure game. Story of syberia takes place as you might guess by the name of the game, in a frozen town where people life was handled by robotic people and you have come to buy the company and regain its reputation agian after the death of its owner. But sounds like the owner's brother is still alive where you do not know and it brings you to a breath taking andSyberia is a pure adventure game. Story of syberia takes place as you might guess by the name of the game, in a frozen town where people life was handled by robotic people and you have come to buy the company and regain its reputation agian after the death of its owner. But sounds like the owner's brother is still alive where you do not know and it brings you to a breath taking and beautiful adventure where you will discover the life of this people, their culture through out a nice written story and awesome art direction. Syberia has quiet challenging puzzle through out the game and it might take you a while to figure out the solutions but they are that much interesting and nicely put together that makes you never bored of it. Story is just awesome and really unforgeable. Graphics are pre-rendered environments but the art directions is somehow awesome job. Overall Syberia is an unforgettable game. Expand
  2. May 2, 2013
    Consigliatissima, una dellle avventure grafiche più belle a cui abbia giocato. Certo non esente da imperfezioni, gli enigmi non sono sicuramente difficili da risolvere, la longevità non altissima... ma in ogni caso l'ottima trama, il game design, la perfetta caratterizzazione dei personaggi, contribuiscono a rendere questo gioco un must per tutti.
    Insomma, divertente e stimolante!
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    Syberia manages to find just the right amount of difficulty (possible to complete without a walk-through), dialogue, exploration, puzzle solving, and compelling story for a classic adventure game.

The voice work is impeccable and the graphics hold up quite well into 2013 (suffering only from aliasing on the characters which any modern graphics card can easily eliminate.) From the

From the title you might be expecting the adventure to take place in a frozen tundra far from civilization, but instead it has Kate Walker (the main character) gallivanting through a multitude of fictional settings ranging from a large robotic toy factory in a small European village to a secret abandoned communist space complex as you seek to find a mysterious mechanical savant. And of course along the way you run across all kinds of his mechanical wonders that serve as the premise for some interesting visuals and stories.

The game does have a few little nitpick faults though that I might as well mention:

1) Kate's cellphone is one of the main methods of storytelling. She gets calls from her boss, friends, mom, boyfriend, et al. This adds great depth to your character, but can also become a drag when you are in the middle of something interesting and *ring ring* "Its your boyfriend Dan" with more idle chit-chat. Bugger off Dan!

2) The ending. It doesn't have one. If you want a complete story you have to buy Syberia 2! Considering this game offers up ~12hrs of game-play its by no means a deal breaker (especially since these games are dirt cheap now), but its worth pointing out.

Final Score: 9/10. Despite being released way back in 2002 this is still one of the better adventures out there.
  4. Aug 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played a lot of adventure games over the years. I've played interactive-story type games, exploration games, rpg-adventure games, escape-the-room type games and a lot more. So I'm not new to adventure games, and I'm not new to games that are long on story and short on action.

Syberia is a game with very few good points and very many problems.

The game is beautiful. There's no doubt about it. Now, I started playing games with Pong and Space Invaders, so graphics aren't a big deal to me. But I will say this game is beautiful to look at. However, I would much rather have had much simpler 2d graphic environments and a much better story and much better gameplay.

1. This game is not finished. I don't mean the plot. I mean the scripts are full of errors. Somebody should have gone back and done some proofreading.

2. There are several things in this game that, in terms of science and physics, simply don't make sense. And I'm not just talking about the highly improbably c3po-clone who drives the train. Throughout the story I found myself shaking my head at the naivety and just plain ignorance of some of the ideas here.

3. There were several items that were crucial to the plot that I would not have found without a walkthrough, such as a very small book on a table, or a shelf at a bar where there was nothing to really attract my attention to it, and it was placed quite insignificantly. Likewise there was a door that was crucial to the plot that was very easy to overlook.

4. The game doesn't have "puzzles" really, or at least not many. Many of the so called "puzzles" are really just a matter of "find A and take it to location X". There were a few things that I found that needed to be done in a certain order, but there wasn't really very much that made me think. There were a few things that had a kind of silly trick to it, but nothing that required logic.

5. Wasted space and wasted opportunities. There were too many locations where the only thing available to do was to walk to the next location. Sure, it's pretty, but there were no branches, no items, just space. Early in the game there were a frustrating number of "Nope, it's locked" and "No need to go down there." moments. So why have a hotspot at all? With so few hotspots in the game, it was kind of frustrating to find one only to be told that it doesn't do anything.

6. All of these problems though, I could really overlook if there had a been a stronger plot. The characters in this game are universally abhorrent. I found virtually no one in the game who WASN'T selfish, petty, obtuse, self-important, or simply weak. Even the main character early in the game refuses to get her boots wet and refuses to get a piece of wood from a river because it's wet and dirty ... so she asks a local boy to do it.

SPOILERS
    The bright spot to the plot was the relationship between the characters Anna (who at the beginning of the game is dead) and her brother Hans. Told through letters, objects and flashbacks, the story -while somewhat improbable- is nonetheless touching.

The story arc concerns the main character's attempts to find Hans. Being that she's a lawyer, she should know that she does not need Hans. Hans has been declared dead. So the face that townspeople have a rumor that he's still alive is pointless. She could have used Anna's correspondence to show that she intended to sell the factory and gotten the sale put through probate. Let Anna's lawyer deal with the probate and inheritance issues. It's not the main character's job or concern. But this is a technicality in comparison to the fact that the whole plot takes us on a journey during which;

MAJOR SPOILERS REGARDING ENDING
    The sale of the factory is not resolved (as the main character does not return home with the papers), Syberia is not actually visited, Hans's obsession with mammoths is not made in any way relevant as anything other than a plot complication, and despite the main characters alleged evolution, she remains unconvincing as she still has not actually resolved any of the personal problems she's faced over the phone ... unless you count running away.

All in all, I found the game amateurish and disappointing.
  5. Nov 27, 2013
    With the passing of time, you realize what are the real gems among the video games of the past, and take advantage of the new versions (renovated) and the bargain prices to get these again...

And so... what better than play again the masterpiece of Benoît Sokal?

One of the most inspired games of all time: dreamy, melancholy and funny at the same time!

And I look forward to Syberia 3...
  6. Dec 22, 2010
    Graphically, the game is just beautiful!! It is a lot of fun wondering around in such a nicely made environment. However, the game definitely is a bit boring, i'd say. The puzzles are kind of annoying, especially since there is only one way of going around things. I don't know, but I did not like the lack of freedom due to that. Still, worth a bit of playing...
  7. Nov 9, 2012
    syberia ist mehr kunst als adventure. das gefühl, das bei syberia auftrat, ist eines, das ich noch nie bei einem videospiel gehabt hatte, ein bißchen so, als ich in der grundschule märchen gelesen habe und man erst langsam merkt, nach welchen regeln die logik in der welt der geschichte funktioniert. vieles im spiel übersteigt die kapazitäten unserer welt, aber insyberia ist mehr kunst als adventure. das gefühl, das bei syberia auftrat, ist eines, das ich noch nie bei einem videospiel gehabt hatte, ein bißchen so, als ich in der grundschule märchen gelesen habe und man erst langsam merkt, nach welchen regeln die logik in der welt der geschichte funktioniert. vieles im spiel übersteigt die kapazitäten unserer welt, aber in der geschichte treten auch hindernisse auf, die voll und ganz weltliche probleme sind. syberia ist wie eine mystische schamenwelt, die unsere logische welt imitiert, um besser verständlich zu sein. Expand
  8. Dec 27, 2012
    This is one of the real classic adventure games. It borrows a lot of the good from older classics like The Longest Journey, but applies a very unique steampunk style. The graphics are a bit dated by 2012 standards, but they are still very pretty to look at and they complement the story well. This game is an adventure first and a puzzle game second. The puzzles are fun but not very hard andThis is one of the real classic adventure games. It borrows a lot of the good from older classics like The Longest Journey, but applies a very unique steampunk style. The graphics are a bit dated by 2012 standards, but they are still very pretty to look at and they complement the story well. This game is an adventure first and a puzzle game second. The puzzles are fun but not very hard and not very numerous. I used hints once or twice, but that should not be necessary for most players. The game is well designed in that there are always cues to let the player know what needs to happen next. I would recommend this to anyone who likes adventure games. I don't remember a lot of bad language or adult themes, so I think this would be a good games for older children/tweens. Expand
  9. Jan 3, 2014
    I can't believe I didn't hear more about this game before I decided to play it. It really deserves to be a well known classic, alongside The Longest Journey.

The world of Syberia is similar to ours, but slightly different, in its possessing intricate automaton inventions. While Kate Walker's journey takes her to different and fascinating locations, the plot is not exactly epic. There are many things to admire in this game, such as the details in the character and background animations, the absolutely gorgeous environments, and the creativity. You can definitely feel the love and effort the creators put into the game. It's hard for me to describe one of the best things that Syberia does well... but I'm going to try: the world it creates is not exactly exciting, but rather relaxing in its wonderment. The atmosphere is calming and whimsical. There are no death screens, no way for you to mess up or have to start over. Just you exploring. Although it might not be big on action, Syberia definitely has a lot to say. Throughout the narrative as Kate changes, the game tells both her and you that you are capable of much more than you think. The game will move you at parts, if you let it.

Keep in mind there is a sequel to this game, so some issues are left unresolved, but I feel that even without a sequel, the themes and character arcs of this story work well, even standing alone.

A few things that detract from the game are the inability to make Kate move faster during some animations like walking up stairs which make backtracking irritating, some difficult puzzles that you might need a walkthrough for, and interactive items that are sometimes easy to miss.

However, these things ultimately do not take away from how much the world will enthrall you, and how much you won't want to leave when the story ends. Pick up this game if you're looking for a calming adventure to help you unwind.
  10. Feb 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Date Played: Jan 2014
    Time Played: 20 hours

Pros:
    + unique premise
    + pre-rendered scenes still look good

Cons:
    - real-time rendered characters do not look good anymore
    - annoyingly voiced dialogue (English)
    - serious holes in plot for a story-driven game

Picked up this game on Steam sale on the promise of a good story and reasonable puzzles. I was disappointed. While the game is one of the few to actually present an original premise (so many are derivatives of a “you are a quiet antihero looking for vengeance”) the entirety of the plot is really presented in the first few minutes of the game. Character development takes place through a series of phone calls which are supposed to show the personal growth of the main character through the use of a sub-plot, but really have no connection to the main events of the game, nor do they server to connect you to the hero. It is also unfortunate that the English voice-acting (can’t speak for other language tracks) is overdone, so that you find yourself skipping dialogue lines as quickly as you can read them, rather than listen to the hammy delivery. In spite of this, I could still have lived with the story, were it not for a number of serious troubles with the plot (see spoiler section to read my beefs).
    Story was to be my main attraction, but the game still could have been saved by looking pretty or playing well. Graphics have aged considerably, and no longer look presentable (excepting fixed-angle, pre-rendered scenery), while the game features a boring “click and wait while your character walks slowly across the screen” interface. This dynamic is exacerbated by the fact that many puzzles have you walking from one place to another to deliver an item or take a second look at an area now opened by dialogue.
    ***************
    SPOILER ALERT – Complaints about Story
    ***************
    Hans sent plans so a train could be built. Who built the tracks? Who built the winding stations? Why didn’t Hans just follow them to (the presumably final) destination of Syberia?
    Except for his role in obstructing your progress, what does the automaton do that you couldn’t? Why not just leave him and drive the train yourself?
    Where has Hans been in between the University/factory and appearing at the salt flats? He isn’t said to have recently departed anywhere you visit, but he shows up at the same time as (and presumably with) a plane headed to NY?
    The Professor’s lecture says that the mysterious aboriginal Russians have not been observed in their native practices for 100+ years and then goes on to give extensive detail about their habits and legends. Unless he is somehow omnipotent, this whole lecture makes no sense.
  11. Oct 29, 2014
    There is really not much to say about Syberia next to the recommendation to play it yourself if you want to know what adventure is meant to be. The graphics are very advanced for the time and also the music is flashing and atmospheric. The story is indeed very moving and nice to listen to, although there is a very questionable conclusion of the main story which reveals that the game hasThere is really not much to say about Syberia next to the recommendation to play it yourself if you want to know what adventure is meant to be. The graphics are very advanced for the time and also the music is flashing and atmospheric. The story is indeed very moving and nice to listen to, although there is a very questionable conclusion of the main story which reveals that the game has actually nothing to do with its title...

The only two points I have to criticize are firstly the lack of logic sometimes and secondly the simplicity of the puzzles, if you want to call them puzzles. It's merely finding an object and carrying it to a certain location. But nevertheless this game is epochal and an absolute must for every adventure fan.
  12. Aug 27, 2013

1. It is really hard for a run-of-the-mill writer like me to do justice to Syberia in describing it. Ultimately all I can tell you is this: Play it yourself! It is not likely you will be disappointed.
  2. Plot issues, questionable voice acting and a frustrating control scheme mask an otherwise good adventure title.
  3. Got really old really fast. [Nov 2002, p.148]