4.7

1. Aug 28, 2013
    A not-great port of a not-great game. Its combat wants to be Arkham City's Combat, but it just doesn't feel good at any point. Switching between characters during combat can be kinda fun, but gets old quickly, and the only other part of the game, the traversal, suffers from the same lack of fluidity that plagues the combat. All that's left are the rushed-looking comic style cinematics to tie it all together. Expand
  2. Aug 31, 2013
    Considering there are 4 turtles and the options in steam show multiplayer and co-op, I was looking forward to some 4 player co-op. I'm posting this review as a balance to the 10/10s its getting. As a single player game, I found it alright 6/10 I would say. But I just wanted to warn everyone that the co-op multiplayer is currently "not implemented". Yes, they plan on patching it in later!!! Great to mention before 4 of us bought this rubbish! Now I find on Activisions support page:
    So basically, there is no LAN, if you want to play with friends, good luck. We can't get LAN or Online working. You've been warned.
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    Best TMNT Game out there Best comic books game this year and one of the best ever Don't whine about anything if you are not a TMNT fan
    This one is for the Fans XD
  4. Aug 28, 2013
    As a turtles fan I must say the game is awesome! The combat may not be on the level of the arkham games even though it is quite inspired in them, but for a 15 dollar game, it is quite deep. Had this game's production been pushed further towards a full AAA retail game, it would have been a beast! Support the game guys and gals, it is the best bang for your buck at the price point it stands. The only con is that the content and characters are restricted to the first season of the nick cartoon, hopefully the game does good enough to guarantee a sequel with more characters and bosses. Expand
  5. Aug 29, 2013
    absolutely fun! especially for fans of the franchise old and new, the characters all have their own unique feel, the game is a little glitchy but that doesn't detract the fun from its solid gameplay
  6. Sep 8, 2013
    Crappy port of a crappy game. The combat is not enjoyable and quickly degenerates to uncoordinated button-mashing. You have to be standing still to actually jump, otherwise it does random evasion/vault moves in some random direction. The story and graphics are absolute crap. The art direction is horrid; giving the turtles nostrils, etc. Avoid this junk.
  7. Aug 30, 2013
    This is by far the best TMNT game this side of Turtles in Time, the voice acting is superb(EXCEPT for Mikey), you can finally be a ninja and stalk the dark NY rooftops, and the battle system, oh boy the battle system. It basically takes the Batman Arkham games freeflow system and heavily improves it. When you unlock all the moves(and there is a lot of them) your fights will look like superbly coreographed kung-fu movie. Also for everybody feeling nostalgic you have "Arcade" mod, where you play alone, side scrolling, limited-lives style! This is, at least for me, the best combat system in a video game in a long time. Expand
  8. Aug 30, 2013
    The game have some glitches but it is the best TMNT Game.
    I recommend this title if you are a Fan of the series, also the game just have 4 chapters, but each one it's extensive
  9. Aug 31, 2013
    As a fan of TMNT I have to say that this game isn't the best TMNT game out there. The graphics are good, especially TMNT models. The story is "Okay" at best, it's presented through horrible screenshots that were drawn by a 10 year old kid (It looks horrendous). The game-play felt like they wanted to make a Turtles game with Batman controls but the execution wasn't the best. Controls felt "Okay", but the movement animation looked weird and slow. It didn't feel like there is any impact to it. Overall its 'Okay'. Wait for the price drop on steam. Expand
  10. Aug 31, 2013
    While "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: From the shadows" is not the game of the year, we do not take visual slap either, but considering the price (14.99 on steam), I find this latest version of our 4 favorite turtles is fairly decent overall, although it has quite a few flaws A camera which is annoying at times, dialogue difficult to follow because they pass too quickly the screen during the phases of combat exploration (do not worry, the dialogue brings nothing vital to your progress), and a full screen is disabled when returning to the main menu, as well as start and a few minor bugs here and there ..

Side of animations, character and level design, I found it really quite good, but it is true that it will not please everyone (the "character" design is inspired by the latest series of "TMNT "produced by Nickelodeon). The only downside in my opinion is the lack of a minimap in order to move. But this is not really a problem because it allows you to explore and pick up some bonuses and extras stashed along the way ..

Gameplay is very easy to pick up if you have a pad (I have a 360 pad and have therefore not tested the keyboard), the combos are easy to make and quickly takes pleasure in kick ass, especially if it is accompanied by one, two or three other friends cooperatively.

So the game features a campaign mode (single multi coop and LAN), a dojo (training hall) to tweak its combos, an arcade where we find our turtles to the traditional Beat'em all, and a workshop where you can improve weapons, plus the ability to view your stats and enhance the capacity of its turtles.

For the lifetime, I can not say because I intend to play sparingly and did therefore not yet finished but I would say 5-6 hours (like many games), without much advance me though.

Now, as I said at the beginning, the game is not perfect, but it is far to be rotten and promises some good slices of fun (and vilains) if you have the opportunity to play in co-op (and I am against the kind of tester that dares 2/10 to this game at a low price, it really is not justified)

In conclusion, if you love beat'em all, if you are nostalgic for turtles, ninjas and pizzas, do not hesitate and start your adventure COWABUNGAAAA ^^
  11. Sep 7, 2013
    Worst Port Ever: Let me start out by saying I'm a big TMNT fan and was looking forward to playing this game, so day one I bought it. That day I found out this was a unfinished game, with glitches that would break the game to where I couldn't even finish a level. I have simply giving up on it till there is a patch that fix's everything that they missed.
    The graphics are ok but the combat
    isn't as fluid as it could be. The camera can get annoying at times but nothing game breaking. If they simply polished the game it would of been good, but the didn't and I'm truly disappoint in this game. Expand
  12. Oct 5, 2013
    Everything about this game is awesome, except the gameplay.It's totally broken, camera, movement, combat and every other factor of the gameplay sucks.Game has so many bugs, glitches and bad camera movement.Totally unplayable, sorry TMNT fans you gotta wait for a better game.
  13. Sep 14, 2013
    I've been a fan of TMNT since I was a little boy, so believe me when I say: I really wanted to like this game, but sadly it was just a big disappointment.

The controls are awkward, unintuitive and difficult to master, the combat has an odd slow pace and is not even remotely fun. Moving through the world is frustrating as well. It's not an open world and the movement through the levels
    is highly restricted. For example, when you are running across rooftops you need to traverse the level in the way the developers intended, and this is not always obvious. They try to give you hints: objects you can interact with have a subtle glimmer to help you identify them, but it's buggy so it doesn't always show up, and even when it does it's hard to spot and they don't always work.

The developers/publishers really screwed the pooch here, this could have been an amazing game. TMNT is a valuable brand, if the game would have been more 'arkham like' they would have a top seller on their hands. Instead we get this tepid pile of
  14. Sep 4, 2013
    The Good: It's a fun beat-'em up. The combat system is pretty well developed, the leveling up has unique traits that fit the characters pretty well. The voice acting isn't bad, and the banter between the turtles is pretty amusing and reminiscent of the series.

The Bad: The game is really short, glitchy and there's no map. I feel like I spent a quarter of my gameplay time running around
    trying to figure out where the hell I'm going because there's no clear objective at times and no map to guide you to that unclear objective. Just kinda run up to things and hit space until I got it.

If they added a basic radar, ironed out the glitches, and made the game longer...it'd be a really good game.

The combat system could also use just a little bit of polish to make going from one bad guy to the next a little smoother, but overall it's fun and well done...it's kinda like a 4-man Arkham Asylum with team-up techniques.
  15. Sep 3, 2013
    Not that bad but its not as good as Turtles in time for SNES. I personally didnt like the new look but it grew on me. The thing that bug me the most is the gameplay. my favorite turtle is Ralph but hes pretty terrible as an offensive player. You have to play more defensively which sucks. I didnt like how the difficulty gets crank to 11 out of no where. They only give you a little clue where to go, plus the enemies weapons just freezes in mid air. Graphically is not that bad but the trailers looked better then the actual game and like I said the turtles new look grew on me very fast.

Graphics: 8/10 the beta trailers looked better
    Sound:6/10 very bland voice acting
    Gameplay 5/10 too many bugs and the response time attacks is very slow, come on guys even if they are turtles they should move faster if they are ninjas. If that makes sense
    Replay Value 4/10 Im not going to replay the campaign but playing the arcade local is the only thing that shines more then the campaign mode since it has the 2-D side scroller camera

OVERALL 6/10 OK but not worth a buggy game and needs more time to be better, the team tried and for a 15 dollar game they did a pretty good job but not perfect in gameplay mechanics
  16. Aug 29, 2013
    Alright, I'm going to be honest here. I've been a huge TMNT fan since I was little, but after seeing the turtles look in the game I was a little skeptical at first. Considering this was released on my 20th birthday I decided to buy it anyway, and found it strange that just a few days ago I was wondering about a new TMNT game at some point.

When starting this game I was pleased with the
    menu selection and the fact that you have an arcade mode as well as a challenge mode. Getting more into the game the fighting in my opinion is excellent. The stealth portions of the chapters are great, the counters are fun, and so is the evading. I will admit though that I have had some freezing here and there, and glitches too. I just don't care though when I'm kicking some shell switching between turtles in the campaign, and countering purple dragons in challenge mode.

Overall the game is a ton of fun, and works great with my gamepad. With glitches aside I've got to rate this game a 10/10 on my fun meter!
  17. Sep 3, 2013
    There are tons of problems with this game. There are certain aspects of it that are promising though. I will not be playing it until multiple patches have fixed these problems. Including but not limited to LAN not working, no server browser and private matches not working.

So far it seems to be a bad console port. I'm hoping they patch these issues.
  18. Sep 16, 2013
    7 out of the 8 people who left a positive review have only reviewed this game. Either they all found it so good that they had to make an account just for this game or Activision employees are inflating the reviews. Hmm
  19. Sep 4, 2013
    For what it is worth a great game. like the instance switch. upgrading is good twist, a must buy for any turtle fan of the 90's get it get now!!
    Graph. 8
    Sound 9
    Contr.> 9
    Gameplay> 9
    Replay 8
  20. Nov 8, 2013
    I'm sorry to say this game did not live up to my expectations as a gamer or a TMNT fan (since I was about 5 years old), there is nothing about this game (regardless of the fact that it is not AAA) that I can phrase. The combat feels weighted and the controls are clunky. The feels like a light breeze of effort and there is nothing new or interesting added to the universe. Sorry but the winds of nostalgia were not enough to sail on, also boat metaphors. Expand
  21. May 13, 2014
    The game do have some good fighting styles, witty humour and homage for the good ‘ol Turtle brothers. But it had a story that is very much equal to a 22 minute cartoon episode, bad camera control, lots of bugs, short campaign, uninteresting unblockables which made this game nothing more than another mediocre game. As a TMNT fan myself I can't really recommend this to anyone more than recommending a rush half developed movie game. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Oct 5, 2013
    Come on, let the dead rest in peace. This utterly pointless, crappy beat-'em-up, should never have seen the light of day. The game tries to bring Konami's 8-bit games into this millennia, but the result is a complete failure. [Oct 2013]
  2. Sep 12, 2013
    Short, disgraceful and terribly unfun: it's hard to recommend this game (even to diehard TMNT fans). No, definitely not Cowabunga at all.