TERA PC

6.9

1. May 3, 2012
    9/10 for me, I have been having disconnect issues but that is TO BE EXPECTED. I'd like to clear up some of these NEGATIVE false comments. NO pay2win cash shop in this game, servers have been closed to creation because guess what, servers had 3 hour ques and THAT is more of a problem than johnny not being able to play with his buddy billy ELONGATING the ques, ENMasse has opened up FREE9/10 for me, I have been having disconnect issues but that is TO BE EXPECTED. I'd like to clear up some of these NEGATIVE false comments. NO pay2win cash shop in this game, servers have been closed to creation because guess what, servers had 3 hour ques and THAT is more of a problem than johnny not being able to play with his buddy billy ELONGATING the ques, ENMasse has opened up FREE transfers for EVERYONE to level the server populations. About the ONLY thing true is comments about DRAW distance, which we can hope for improvements. Expand
  2. May 2, 2012
    Beautiful game that shows what the Unreal Engine can pull off in an MMO. Great combat that brings something new to the table. Quests, though, ugh. Boring, and badly written. Very few voice overs. Playing the game is very fun, despite the questing system; just wish they would have done more with them. Patiently waiting on an mmo with this style of combat + the story telling of SWTOR +Beautiful game that shows what the Unreal Engine can pull off in an MMO. Great combat that brings something new to the table. Quests, though, ugh. Boring, and badly written. Very few voice overs. Playing the game is very fun, despite the questing system; just wish they would have done more with them. Patiently waiting on an mmo with this style of combat + the story telling of SWTOR + the questing of GW2. Expand
  3. May 2, 2012
    Lacks in quest variety but more than makes up for it with exciting combat. I tried going back to SWTOR after TERA's CBTs but just couldn't do it. The beginning is a bit slow but after you get to 20 (takes a few hours) game totally opens up. I'm still waiting to see what endgame is like but based on the first 30-40 levels i'm pumped.
    Can't believe people lying here about graphics. YES
    Can't believe people lying here about graphics. YES sliders work to increase draw distance, and the game runs awesome on my 2 year old rig, even on almost max settings. Support is also super on top of things. Live chat and phone on day 1. Yes please.
  4. May 2, 2012
    A nice change of pace to the usual Tab Target style MMO's. Fun combat and beautiful graphics and art.
    I was pleasantly surprised. Once you get past some of the very asian flavor early on it's a blast to play.
  5. May 2, 2012
    First, don't believe a word the trolls in this user review section - the graphics are amazing and draw distance is not an issue if you aren't playing on a netbook. Tera is the most fun MMO I have ever played, it's fun for MMO gamers, but it's also fun for guys like my brother who prefer to play action games on consoles. The classes are really cool, playing an archer is like playing a thirdFirst, don't believe a word the trolls in this user review section - the graphics are amazing and draw distance is not an issue if you aren't playing on a netbook. Tera is the most fun MMO I have ever played, it's fun for MMO gamers, but it's also fun for guys like my brother who prefer to play action games on consoles. The classes are really cool, playing an archer is like playing a third person shooter melee classes feel like Fable or Zelda. I couldn't STOP playing. The action combat is the real deal - after playing Tera you won't be able to play another MMO with tab targeting - it's that good. I also really enjoy the depth of the game, leveling my character, upgrading my gear, the awesome dungeons, and just getting better at my class - the lancer. Since Tera actually requires skill, it motivates me to be good at my class so when I play in groups I can be an awesome tank. I really can't say enough good things about the game - I hope anyone who reads this gives it a try, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  6. May 2, 2012
    I completely agree with elcritico. This is my 7th mmo spending a good 3-6 years on each and this by far takes the cake as the best mmo ever made, and my favorate video game of all time.
  7. May 2, 2012
    I am really enjoying the combat in TERA. It's a nice change of pace from what I'm used to. The questing isn't revolutionary but I find myself really enjoying killing stuff. The boss fights are epic!
  8. May 2, 2012
    Very pretty game and enjoyable combat Lvling is fast and fun but i tink the game starts from lvl 20 i just love the dungeons and bosses :)

(funny how ppl can hate on stuff that is fixt a long time back you all do know you where playing the BETA all the time dont you ?) also no 1 can talk about endgame no max lvl in the beta. also no its not the same as the korean version. That crap

That crap about the draw distance is ***** If you compare it to WoW/rift or GW2 its good.
  9. May 2, 2012
    I love this game. The questing is familiar but the innovations that it brings are truly positive. I don't see anything controversial about vastly improving combat mechanics over previous mmo's.
  10. May 1, 2012
    In the past few years, there have been a lot of MMOs pop up following the same basic formula played out by EQ2, WoW, WAR and the like. There's a lot here that is similar. Questing follows the three basic paths (play postman, kill x number of x, pick up x number of x), and it's one of the dull points of the game. You have your equipment and enchants and stat itemization, just like thoseIn the past few years, there have been a lot of MMOs pop up following the same basic formula played out by EQ2, WoW, WAR and the like. There's a lot here that is similar. Questing follows the three basic paths (play postman, kill x number of x, pick up x number of x), and it's one of the dull points of the game. You have your equipment and enchants and stat itemization, just like those other games. The story is good at best, boring at worst. Crafting is uninventive and derivative. Also, the K-RPG lineage pops up from time to time as a distraction (big-busted female models showing too much skin, ridiculous cut scenes, failing to gather a resource node).

But, after an extended play of the game, you quickly realize that Tera is not about questing or exploring a storyline or crafting. What Tera is about is team combat, and once you walk down some long, dangerous, monster filled paths to get to that big bad boss with some friends, the game hooks you. It's about combat and exploration, and in those two regards it succeeds marvelously.

Think Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star Online, not WoW or SWToR. The combat is refreshing, though it takes a lot of getting used to at first, particularly if you're used to playing other MMOs. Instead of standing in spot and trading blows, you're dodging, looking for enemy context clues, and building up combos to deal monsterous damage or stagger the enemy. It feels nearly Devil May Cry or God of War in execution, and it's wonderful. You can mouse & keyboard or controller it up; both feel great.

In some bizarre, masochistic design decision, the game starts off incredibly easy. Easy as in extremely boring and dull easy. The starting zone is this cookie-cutter, happy island that one commenter in Area chat referred to as "Disneyland minus the fun." The devs clearly knew this, as there's a prologue that lets you experience level 20 combat from the get-go. It's dark, ominous, full of baddies, and is a total blast. Then, you get dumped into snoozeville. Fortunately, once you get past the 2nd zone, the game ramps up the excitement and the difficulty. This is when it truly starts to shine. As zones open up and enemies become more challenging, what you get is a huge exploration from boss fight to boss fight, with some thrown in for gear and experience. And even though it can take a while to get from one place to another, you won't mind, because travel is painless with all the eye candy.

This game is utterly breathtaking. To say it runs graphical circles around its competition is actually demeaning the beauty of it. Light effects and shadows add depth and ambience, colors explode off the screen, and animations are fluid and smooth like a AAA action game. At one point, I found myself stopping to just stare at a priest's spells, only to find myself squashed by a gigantic boss for not paying attention. It's MMO eye candy you've never seen before.

If someone says it's "just like WoW" or a "WoW clone," shut them down and stop listening. This game is about as similar to WoW as a Hummer is to a Corolla. Sure, they both have four wheels, an engine and a transmission, but the goal is totally different. This is an open-world dungeon crawl of the lineage of Diablo or Gauntlet with the combat genes from a fast-paced action game like Ninja Gaiden.

That said, it won't be for everyone. Those put off by K-RPG elements are going to find this game nauseating, If you're looking for a deep and complex MMO where you can theorycraft, this isn't it,

However, if you're a big fan of action games and dungeon crawls, give it a shot.
  11. May 2, 2012
    TERA really brings a fresh combat style and look to the MMO genre. The environments, landscape, models and animations are the best to date in this genre. The combat feels much better than anything I have ever played, which encompasses every MMO to date. Not to mention almost every annoyance and limitation imposed by other MMOs are addressed here. You can train and level up ALL of the tradeTERA really brings a fresh combat style and look to the MMO genre. The environments, landscape, models and animations are the best to date in this genre. The combat feels much better than anything I have ever played, which encompasses every MMO to date. Not to mention almost every annoyance and limitation imposed by other MMOs are addressed here. You can train and level up ALL of the trade skills. They even added costuming to the mix. The quest system is nice and organized. Basically fool proof. Things really move along nicely. Finding guilds and instance groups is easy as pie.

I gave it an 8 though because it's not perfect. There are still a couple things that I dislike. I prefer a WOW style 30 minute hearthstone over the town portal scrolls in TERA. They are hard to come by and expensive at low levels. Also I find myself having money problems for a large part of the early game. This could be because it's so new and the auction system isn't booming yet. I also feel they re-use some enemy textures a little too much and add a little bit of a different feature, but they still look the same.

Overall it's worth the money if you are looking for an MMO to play like I was.
  12. May 2, 2012
    Combat is definitely amazing, enough to where I won't be able to play another standard mmo. The questing is a bit lacking, very typical and nothing revolutionary. For a day 0 launch the game is incredibly polished and the action combat is very smooth. BAM's are INCREDIBLE, so much fun, so interactive, keeps you on your toes. I have high hopes for the game and can't wait to see end game.
  13. May 1, 2012
    First of all, TERA isn't perfect. It can't ever achieve that great action combat you can expect from games like Diablo III or Skyrim. However it gives you a combat that's well worth the effort, great visuals for a MMO and a huge world to roam about. No more people practically sleeping on the instance runs or raids! Now everyone has to be awake and constantly reposition themselves and aimFirst of all, TERA isn't perfect. It can't ever achieve that great action combat you can expect from games like Diablo III or Skyrim. However it gives you a combat that's well worth the effort, great visuals for a MMO and a huge world to roam about. No more people practically sleeping on the instance runs or raids! Now everyone has to be awake and constantly reposition themselves and aim their skills.

While the true action combat is awesome, it is also more taxing. I found myself getting tired in a few hours because in every fight (soloing) I had to constantly evade and pop appropriate skills. Also, this game has a somewhat steeper learning curve than your average MMO. I've seen tanks that do tanking worse than some healers and some healers who don't know that they're supposed to heal instead of DPS. While they're annoying, they will be weeded out once you get to higher levels and team up with a guild.

The graphics of TERA are amazing, if you got the hardware to run it properly. The characters look very detailed and every weapon and armor looks pretty awesome. Which is only appropriate as you are awesome as well. Still, there's some issues with the draw distance and some textures on characters load pretty slow. These will be fixed though, I hope.

When it comes to classes, TERA has the usual lineup. DPS, healer, tank, support. DPS having both melee and ranged versions. As you level you get new skills and spells, but also after level 20 you can buy glyphs to enhance the skills/spells of your choice. You might enjoy doing a spinning attack as a berserker, so why not invest in a glyph that gives you a 25% faster charge time? Or a healer will greatly benefit from a glyph that allows him to choose more targets for a targeted healing spell. You will have a limited amount of points for glyphs per level though, and every glyph has a value from about 1 to 5.

TERA has enough new in an old formula that it keeps the MMO gameplay fresh. Once the game has been available for everyone the elections for vanarchs (mayors pretty much) start. Vanarchs will be able to choose what things to develop in his region and set tax rates etc. It will be interesting to see how it will affect the gameplay. In the headstart many features and NPCs have been unavailable because of missing vanarchs. So, I feel like I can't give a permanent score 'till I know how much they will add to the game.

Overall I'm enjoying my time in TERA more than in any MMO since the old school EverQuest in the 90s. Since it has it flaws (that will be fixed I hope), I would give TERA a solid 8.5 for now, but I'll round it up to 9 since metacritic won't let me give such a number. I recommend people to at least try TERA. It's not for the lazy or timid, however.
  14. May 2, 2012
    I was not expecting this game to be this good, incredible visuals, and more importantly amazing fun gameplay. I have not played an mmo like this where the combat was actually fun , exciting and skill based. The story and lore is lacking however like most mmo's but it is not a big deal. I have been having a blast doing open world pvp alone and have had some really intese fights. It alsoI was not expecting this game to be this good, incredible visuals, and more importantly amazing fun gameplay. I have not played an mmo like this where the combat was actually fun , exciting and skill based. The story and lore is lacking however like most mmo's but it is not a big deal. I have been having a blast doing open world pvp alone and have had some really intese fights. It also seems to be one of the most balanced mmo's i have played, i highly reccomend it. Expand
  15. May 1, 2012
    I had high hopes for this game. Glad to say this game held up. The real-time combat is fun, and addicting. I have been playing Tera since pre-launch and am lvl 29 atm. The game has more then held my attention for the whole time. Social system is strong, Beautiful graphics, huge tough MOBS called BAMs in the open world are also very fun to fight solo or in groups. I have experiencedI had high hopes for this game. Glad to say this game held up. The real-time combat is fun, and addicting. I have been playing Tera since pre-launch and am lvl 29 atm. The game has more then held my attention for the whole time. Social system is strong, Beautiful graphics, huge tough MOBS called BAMs in the open world are also very fun to fight solo or in groups. I have experienced -0- bugs, not saying there arnt any, but 29 lvl's and not one bug. I cant give the game a 10 because of the common fetch and return quests, long PUG instance que times is also an issue. You might wait 30 mins if you are a DPS class, but you can quest while you wait ;) If you join a guild and run the instances mostly with guildies you wont have that problem. Everything else in this game is as good, if not better then whats out there. Expand
  16. May 1, 2012
    Well I though I would try to provide a more thoughtful, and not emotionally charged review of my first few days in TERA (and honestly how can people give the game a 3 based on bugs and netcode that not everyone experiences) by talking about some pros and cons. First let me say that I have never found any lasting appeal with Korean MMO's. I never like the art direction, and I alwaysWell I though I would try to provide a more thoughtful, and not emotionally charged review of my first few days in TERA (and honestly how can people give the game a 3 based on bugs and netcode that not everyone experiences) by talking about some pros and cons. First let me say that I have never found any lasting appeal with Korean MMO's. I never like the art direction, and I always thought content was severely lacking (offering "grinding" as a sole activity). A friend recommended I try the open beta, and I was hesitant at first - I hate Korean MMO's right? Well, let me say that while the game isn't going to win any awards for breaking the mold with standard fed-ex quests, etc., the combat in this game is so amazing that I have had a hard time going back to the "old way" of doing things in games like WoW. It is so good in fact that I spent more time playing the head start than I did the GW2 beta weekend. It is just that good. So, if you hated Korean MMO's in the past, give this game a shot. You can thank me later :) Expand
  17. May 2, 2012
    Great combat, lots of wizards, really fun to play. I'm interested to see how the political system plays out. It has all of the standard MMO features, but feels more like a console game. TERA could probably use 10% more wizards, but that's my only complaint.
  18. May 2, 2012
    Tera is the best MMO I've played since WoW vanilla, and the only one since my first (Asheron's Call) to get me truly addicted. Since other reviewers mentioned the excellent combat, I'll address some of the inaccuracies and common misconceptions in the negative reviews.

1) Tera is not a "typical Korea grinder" MMO. Leveling is about the pace of WoW vanilla (probably faster) and there are more quests than needed to level to cap.

2) The combat is skill-based. Don't believe the trolls saying it's a gimmick, everything about the system emphasizes player skill and rewards you for being attentive to what's happening on the screen (rather than staring at your skill CDs). BAMs have a variety of unique attacks all with specific "tells" which allow the observant/experienced player to do what is needed to avoid the attack. It might be easy to hit the BAMs, but you are rewarded for back shots and unlike other MMOs, are a much smaller region on the mob (~45 deg rather than 180 deg). Besides, aiming your attacks is most certainly not "the entire point of the action combat" it's just one small facet of it.

3) The engine and net-code are superb, the reviewer who said otherwise is either a troll or a shill. The game runs amazingly well for how good it looks, and unlike most MMOs, can actually handle large crowds of players without becoming a slideshow.

and finally, the criticism I've heard most often, mostly from fanboys of other games who are jumping on a talking point to criticize Tera:

"Animation lock makes the combat slow and unexciting."

Anyone who has actually played the game for more than an hour or two knows how wrong this is. First off, "animation lock" is describing how many skills root your character's movement until the animation is finished. It certainly exists in the game, but it is essential to making combat strategic and does nothing to take away from the action. Even with the lock on some skills, all classes are still incredibly mobile in combat for two reasons:

1) As you level up, many of your most important skills lose the animation lock entirely. You also get skills that can break animations mid-way.

2) Every class has a plethora of skills that allow you to dodge, run, strafe, or charge WHILE dishing out damage.

WIthout the animation rooting on some skills, the game would devolve into Quake with swords and sorcery. Having certain attacks restrict your movement gives various skills differing amounts of risk v. reward. Every fight requires a delicate balance of damaging your opponent while still avoiding its attacks. It is also huge in balancing melee vs. ranged in PvP and making positioning and tactics matter more than raw twitch skill. "Animation lock" is critical to preserving strategy and preventing the combat from devolving into a spaz-fest. It's a feature, not a flaw.

Since I don't want this review to look like a marketing pamphlet, I'll outline some of the most glaring flaws. They aren't near enough to detract from all the awesomeness in the game, but they're worth pointing out nonetheless:

1) Doesn't pick up till the 20s. This is why you have negative reviews that make no sense whatsoever to Tera players. It's very easy to get a skewed perception of the game by only playing a few hours. The big draw for most people is the combat, and it doesn't really get a chance to shine until you start fighting BAMs in your 20s. However, leveling is so quick it should only take you a day at most to get to this point.

2) Overly sexualized characters: Yes, Tera has its fair share of pandering to horny males. It also has a short, nubile race with provocative outfits. While they're not exactly sexualized children (since their proportions are completely unrealistic) like some might have you believe, it is a little weird. I choose to ignore it since the rest of the game is so good. Tera also has armor skins so you can have your character wear a less revealing armor set while still keeping the stats of the armor that bothered you.

3) Quests are fairly bland. They're not worse than vanilla WoW, but people expect more now. Luckily, the fun combat and beautiful environments make me not even notice this for the most part. Combat is what you're doing 95% of the time in an MMO, so making that activity FUN matters more than anything else. It doesn't matter how revolutionary your quest system is if the combat is the same ol' boring tab-target combat.

As I'm approaching 5000 characters, I'll stop :). Hope this review was helpful for those not sure what to believe.
  19. May 2, 2012
    All I want to do is PvP so I bought Tera just for that. The combat is fantastic, and although BG's arent in the game yet, the world pvp and guild vs guild pvp is amazing. If you like PvP you should check it out.
  20. May 2, 2012
    I haven't played this game enough yet to quite give a 10, but for graphics alone I would give it that. The toons look great, quests are your basic mmo quests. No surprise there really. If you are looking for an mmo for your kids, I don't know if this would be the one, I mean the game is rated M for fairly good reasons. The guys who voted this less than 7 are, 1. Either working for aI haven't played this game enough yet to quite give a 10, but for graphics alone I would give it that. The toons look great, quests are your basic mmo quests. No surprise there really. If you are looking for an mmo for your kids, I don't know if this would be the one, I mean the game is rated M for fairly good reasons. The guys who voted this less than 7 are, 1. Either working for a competing game company that has an mmo coming out soon, or 2. Their comps don't even meet the bare minimums to play this game and don't realize it.
    Game play is a bit different from WoW, I admit to being a clicker in WoW. This game is actually helping me move away from that a bit, due to the fact you really need to be comfortable using the keys on your keyboard, to your full advantage. This is actually a good thing for me. I admit I didn't want to like this game as much as I am, I have a full plate of games already that I'm playing ( KoA) or am going to be playing (Diablo 3 ). This game is already making it tough for me to consider that I might have to put it down one down, if I can at that.
  21. May 2, 2012
    Love this game:) if you think about buying this game don't read any of the crap reviews here most, not all are just gw2 fan boys who are just trying to take this game down like StanleyWoosMom who gifs the game a 10 and talks about pay2win cash shop system and gear-based PvP.....the game is noting like wow just google tera pvp. wait for real reviews.

all i can say i just love the game!
  22. May 2, 2012
    This is my new favorite MMO. Been playing since the beta weekends and it's superb. The graphics are easily some of the best in the genre; textures are fantastic, colors are gorgeous, and animations are wonderfully done. The combat system is the best out of any MMO, going back to tab targeting is going to be impossible. It's not only fast but you need to be smart as well and time everythingThis is my new favorite MMO. Been playing since the beta weekends and it's superb. The graphics are easily some of the best in the genre; textures are fantastic, colors are gorgeous, and animations are wonderfully done. The combat system is the best out of any MMO, going back to tab targeting is going to be impossible. It's not only fast but you need to be smart as well and time everything perfectly. The combat system makes the dungeons so, so fun and playing a healer is a blast. My favorite aspect though is the world. It's one huge world with vast areas to travel and explore. I definitely recommend this! Expand
  23. May 1, 2012
    The game is simply amazing. It's terrific. Don't let a bunch of internet trolls troll you. I played in the closed beta, and all the problems in the beta are fixed. I would give this an 11/10 but the character customization on some races held it back, so it only gets 10/10
  24. May 2, 2012
    The graphics are great. The questing is the same as any other MMO currently out, but I honestly haven't felt like I have been grinding as the combat system is so much fun. I haven't noticed any issues with frame rate or distance. I look forward to playing this game for some time to come.
  25. May 1, 2012
    Combat is amazingly fun in pve, and twice as much in pvp - it could alone carry the whole game. Luckily it isnt the only bright spot Tera offers - the world (except the newbie zone) is humongous, epic and without loading screens. The crafting is complicated (i.e compared to wow) and rewarding. The instance finder works great, and instance boss fights are exhilarating.
    All in all, most fun
    All in all, most fun i've had in a mmo for a long while.
  26. May 2, 2012
    I am really enjoying the game. The graphics are amazing and the world feels like it fits. The character creation is better than I've seen in any MMO I've played over the years, and the characters look nice. Perhaps, sometimes, a little overtly sexy, but you won't hear me complain. The questing is fun, the classes are fun to play -- personally speaking. The prologue before you startI am really enjoying the game. The graphics are amazing and the world feels like it fits. The character creation is better than I've seen in any MMO I've played over the years, and the characters look nice. Perhaps, sometimes, a little overtly sexy, but you won't hear me complain. The questing is fun, the classes are fun to play -- personally speaking. The prologue before you start leveling lets you try any class before you commit to playing it for 60 levels. The crafting is challenging and costly, but rewards you very well later on. The enchanting system is fun, and the extraction system is useful.

The Bad? I can't really think of anything that warrants reducing the rating -- I don't play on PVP servers but I hear that the camping is pretty ridiculous. If you're a fan of MMORPGs, especially WoW, Lineage II, and even more PVP based MMORPGs I think you'll find that Tera is very fun and rewarding.
  27. May 1, 2012
    I don't usually play MMOs because of the boring combat. TERA is the first MMORPG a long time. I did play Vindictus, but I don't think that counts. Anyways TERA has combat that is very similar to Vindictus and Monster Hunter, but it has the open world and great PvP that those games were missing. Everybody should at least give this game a try.
  28. May 1, 2012
    This game does NOT deserve a score below 6. Thus, I am giving it a 10 in an attempt to balance some of the ridiculous opinions. Anyway, the game is very fun. As others have said, the questing is very generic "Fed-Ex" fetch or kill, but the combat makes it quite enjoyable. It truly is like playing a classic Japanese-style action game with combos. Your attacks "feel" like they areThis game does NOT deserve a score below 6. Thus, I am giving it a 10 in an attempt to balance some of the ridiculous opinions. Anyway, the game is very fun. As others have said, the questing is very generic "Fed-Ex" fetch or kill, but the combat makes it quite enjoyable. It truly is like playing a classic Japanese-style action game with combos. Your attacks "feel" like they are connecting which is a detail that many MMOs outside of WoW often lack. The graphics are beautiful as well as the animations. LOTS of attention to detail. Some people will undoubtedly be put off by the cutesy graphics, but they are some bad ass looking races and mobs. Again, the animations and weapon/armor models are superb. In the very least, TERA is worth the box price. Two--thumps-up. Expand
  29. May 2, 2012
    I wasnt sure what to expect from this game it looked good but i am coming from eve online which is a hard core pvp game. i always wanted something to satisfy my needs for pvp but not flying space ships around. i tried TERA and the pvp is exactly what i have been looking for. this game is amazing. i personally see my self playing this for at least 2 years. im hooked!!
  30. May 2, 2012
    I have played quite a few MMO's. That being said I have not put in the amount of time most people have. I have played WOW the most out of all and this game to me is at least on par with WOW and in my opinion better. The combat is fantastic. That so far, is the best part. Yes the quests are grind and find most of the time, but aren't most MMO's, espcially WOW? The combat makes the questingI have played quite a few MMO's. That being said I have not put in the amount of time most people have. I have played WOW the most out of all and this game to me is at least on par with WOW and in my opinion better. The combat is fantastic. That so far, is the best part. Yes the quests are grind and find most of the time, but aren't most MMO's, espcially WOW? The combat makes the questing much more tolerable. The graphics are beautiful as well. I run it on a laptop with a decent video card and I have not had any of the drawing issues others are complaining about. I have also not had any server issues. The only downfall like 99% of most MMO's but a select few like SWTOR, the story is not great. Expand
  31. May 2, 2012
    Constant action, thoughtful combat, epic graphics and smart systems. Even quests are smartly and conveniently placed. I have nothing negative to say about this game.
  32. May 2, 2012
    If your tired of the usual tab target system in MMOs give this a try. I've been thoroughly,enjoying it. Beautiful game with awesome combat system. As far as draw distances concerned I have not had that problem. I see enemies clear across the battlefield. People giving 0-4 are just trolls, and they ruin the validity of customer reviews.
  33. May 1, 2012
    Tera is fantastic, the combat is a fresh take on MMOs and as you level up you learn more and more combos. The graphics are beautiful and I haven't experienced any texture popping or bad draw distance (I play on a crappy laptop) The PvP and dungeons are really fun with the combat and relies on skill much more than "Hit hotkey and wait for cooldown" The only downside to the game is the sameTera is fantastic, the combat is a fresh take on MMOs and as you level up you learn more and more combos. The graphics are beautiful and I haven't experienced any texture popping or bad draw distance (I play on a crappy laptop) The PvP and dungeons are really fun with the combat and relies on skill much more than "Hit hotkey and wait for cooldown" The only downside to the game is the same ol fetch quest that have plagued MMOs for years (which isn't so bad since combat is addicting and fun) and they need to add more servers BUT the game uses a channel system similar to Maplestory which is fantastic when servers are over populated so you never feel overwhelmed by the amount of people on a server. I highly recommend this game for anyone who wants fun combat and amazing graphics that set a high bar for future MMOs. Expand
  34. Feb 6, 2013
    Recently this game went free to play, but I couldn't try it earlier due to the fact that I can't really put more money for more than one subscription (still playing WoW with friends). I've been playing it for a month, playing with the unlimited trial, but eventually the game made me buy a copy before the free-to-play release in order to get some bonuses, and it was worth it! The game isn'tRecently this game went free to play, but I couldn't try it earlier due to the fact that I can't really put more money for more than one subscription (still playing WoW with friends). I've been playing it for a month, playing with the unlimited trial, but eventually the game made me buy a copy before the free-to-play release in order to get some bonuses, and it was worth it! The game isn't perfect of course but, in all honesty, it deserved much more than it ddoes: the system works, it's pretty fun and, like I said, very different than usual. The classes are pretty varied and only downside is that their restricted to one weapon, but I personally found that to be a good detail actually (it limits steals within a dungeon team, since weapons are class restricted). Also, the races have no limitations in classes and I found that to be a BIG positive remark, since it gives you a lot of combinations and there's no real con or pro: every class-race combination works greatly and gives you a huge variation for your characters. The graphics are very good...on the characters and monsters, while the areas and some places seems lacking details and have bland textures (although some cities and areas ARE gorgeous). On the other hand, the characters, the npcs, the monsters are greatly animated, greatly detailed and I was amazed how the graphics were. Of course, some characters (the females) may have some..."particular" detailing on them...and I'm personally not bothered that much; I do like when games attempt to be brave by having some revealing female characters, without mentioning that the males too are exagerated in both their body mass and their armors (some are revealing, some are massively big). For the rest, I do have some complains: firstly, I hated that there's NO vendor outside the villages or main cities, and if you're filled with trash to sell, you're basically forced to go back (either on foot, horse, or using a scroll if you're lucky) and sell your stuff. At least you can teleport to the nearest post. The enemies aren't hard to defeat...but if you aggro some by going nearby, 2 are the possibilities: 1) you get hit and you'll be in combat stance, with your weapons out, and your movement will be slower until you defeat your enemies or run away (hard to do). 2) you run away for a good amount of time..only to find them right behind you and forcing you to beat them go out of combat stance. This is SO annoying on so many levels because the enemies will almost never let you go and they can follow you almost for more than 1 minute (I even had fun running around with a mob following me around a fireplace...for five minutes straight! And he wouldn't leave!). At leas the enemies are slow, but sure are persistent. And for last...the quests. I read a lot of reviews mentioning that among their complains, was the the questing due to the lack of originality and boredom. I have one thing to say: it is true...but why only TERA gets the blame? I haven't played tons of mmorpgs, but in more than one I've had boring quests, yet nobody mentions that little factoid, and I'm talking of games like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Aion, The Secret World, and many other small games with the same kind of quests. Also in TERA the questing can be boring, but personally for the wrong reasons: my feeling was that most of these quests weren't that "great" and could have used more "challenges" too. Infact, the best quests were the group ones, because those big monsters were fun to fight and killing one takes a little more time than usual. Yet again, not the best quests ever, but I don't see much reasons of blaming the game while we have many other titles with the same issues that nobody ever mentions, and I'm the type of player who enjoys questing, so I may have a word about it!. And for last, the Free-to-Play limitations. I have bought the veteran status weeks before the free-to-play launch and with that purchase I got more bonuses (no char limit, more bank slot) so I can't judge the limitations properly. But here's what I think: the 2 character limitation IS a big flaw because of the variety of classes and races...but it was expected. However, the price for an additional slot is just too high at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if people are annoyed by the price (about 30 euros for ONE slot). You have one bank slot as a f2p player...but the slot alone (about 72 spaces) is very big and I'm still using one (and I'm level 40). Also here however the price is high and not sure if worth it. Other limitations aren't very big so far (less "auction house" actions, a limited amount of gold sent, and few others), and that's surprising considering the game is actually big and, except for some other details, the game doesn't limit much else (unlike SWTOR). All in all, it's a good game and now that's a f2p with not too many limits, everyone can give it a shot and enjoy it, because I personally think the game deserved some more praise than it did. Expand
  35. Sep 27, 2014
    Tera online's action is so smooth, so immediate, and so enjoyable that it's likely to keep you invested in Tera.Awesome combat that connects you to the onscreen action.Exciting fights against big monsters(bam).Great dungeons,great pvp,the environment is a little different because it was first released in south korea, so the environment, characters, and monsters may seen kind of weird forTera online's action is so smooth, so immediate, and so enjoyable that it's likely to keep you invested in Tera.Awesome combat that connects you to the onscreen action.Exciting fights against big monsters(bam).Great dungeons,great pvp,the environment is a little different because it was first released in south korea, so the environment, characters, and monsters may seen kind of weird for the eu players it's not like west mmo's and the graphics...ohh that graphics are the best! You should try this game. Expand
  36. Jul 26, 2015
    PROS
    -True action combat -- almost nothing hits automatically and no auto-targeting
    -Positioning and related tactics really matter -Different classes have a very different gameplay feel -Attractive character and environmental design -F2P model is generally less onerous than other MMOs. You even get a decent mount for free early on. CONS -Terrible default controls (although there
    PROS
    -True action combat -- almost nothing hits automatically and no auto-targeting
    -Positioning and related tactics really matter
    -Different classes have a very different gameplay feel
    -Attractive character and environmental design

CONS
    -Terrible default controls (although there are robust customization options)
    -Annoying mini-map.
    -Forgettable story/plot. I enjoyed the game more after I started skipping all the dialogue.
    -You can't cancel an attack once started, making combat less fluid than it could be. (For example, you can't decide to dodge while you're in the middle of an attack).

PRO or CON (depends on your taste)
    -Strong Asian sensibilities, although not an anime art style.
    -Both male and female costumes/armors are designed to be more sexy than functional.
    -There are all kinds of zany mounts and costumes, which can be immersion breaking but fun. This game isn't really about immersion anyway.

OVERVIEW
    For those interested in an action MMO, I highly recommend trying this game out. It's the only true action combat experience I've found so far, and it costs nothing to try. The introductory area gives you a good idea what your experience will be like playing the rest of game. If you particularly care about story, it's probably not for you, but if you enjoy the combat, there's a lot of entertainment to be had.
  37. Jul 28, 2015
    After having played MMORPGS for almost 20 years (since Ultima Online Beta) and most recently WoW for a long time I found this game to be very refreshing. Even though FF14 and GW2 are very solid titles, I prefer TERA because it feels more free and skill-based. Highly recommended. I had no trouble running this on laptop either, graphics are highly customizable. I play on EU server.
  38. Sep 6, 2015
    This game is just simply amazing! It just gives you the feeling that you are the one who is on that virtual world fighting big jerks. From gameplay to mechanics, just wow. Compared to other MMO's, TERA stands out the most for me. Its fast paced gameplay with the graphics included cannot be compared to other MMO's out there on the gaming market. Aside from it's graphics and gameplay oneThis game is just simply amazing! It just gives you the feeling that you are the one who is on that virtual world fighting big jerks. From gameplay to mechanics, just wow. Compared to other MMO's, TERA stands out the most for me. Its fast paced gameplay with the graphics included cannot be compared to other MMO's out there on the gaming market. Aside from it's graphics and gameplay one that is very lovable about this game is that you get high end items without having to spend money. So for me, it's a 10/10! Expand
  39. May 5, 2012
    Very similar to every other MMO you have ever played with two exceptions; it is fun to play and it looks amazing. TERA is a little thin on content and most of the skills and abilities are rather unimaginative, but it makes up for this with very addictive fresh gameplay combat mechanics and terrific visuals. Not only does TERA utilize the latest graphic shaders it has the art work to backVery similar to every other MMO you have ever played with two exceptions; it is fun to play and it looks amazing. TERA is a little thin on content and most of the skills and abilities are rather unimaginative, but it makes up for this with very addictive fresh gameplay combat mechanics and terrific visuals. Not only does TERA utilize the latest graphic shaders it has the art work to back it up. Environments are rich and detailed, textures are consistent and high quality. The characters models are incredibly imaginative and well modeled. Most of the nonsense from previous MMOs have been removed, however TERA is not without it's own monotony; The starting zone is the same for all races, so rolling multiple classes gets fairly tedious quickly. The questing system is fairly standard and there aren't too many changes to the formula. Perhaps playing this game as a singleplayer game would be a mistake. Where this game shines is in the group mechanics, it is very fun to play with your friends. The Big Ass Monster fights are really fun and it feels like you're constantly fighting a bunch of mini-bosses which are both challenging and satisfying to take down. Bottom line is if you are playing TERA with your friends or with other people, you'll have a good time. Expand
  40. May 10, 2012
    What you will find here is a very good looking and polished MMO. It has amazing graphics, and an even more amazing combat system. No more tab targeting and spamming a couple of keys. No more watch some Youtube videos while you tank and spank some raidboss. While the average mob isn't that dangerous till higher levels, the BAMs and bosses are a lot of fun. They move around, randomly changeWhat you will find here is a very good looking and polished MMO. It has amazing graphics, and an even more amazing combat system. No more tab targeting and spamming a couple of keys. No more watch some Youtube videos while you tank and spank some raidboss. While the average mob isn't that dangerous till higher levels, the BAMs and bosses are a lot of fun. They move around, randomly change directions, have multiple move sets, can easily wipe your party if you make a mistake. All this makes the game very rewarding. Yes the quests are very generic, they haven't really changed from what MMOs have been doing for the past 10 years. It is essentially the same as what every other game does, WoW, Everquest, etc. SWTOR is pretty much the only game with a better quest system.

If you want to play a MMO which rewards skill based play, doesn't involve tab targeting and forces you to actually aim and time your moves, then this is the game for you. Th combat makes this game and the graphics are a nice addition too. There really is no reason to not play this unless you are not a fan of the subscription model.
  41. May 14, 2012
    Nothing new really if you play Korean MMO's like I do. If yo have not played any Korean MMO's you will enjoy it espcially the BAMs. Fighting a mob of that size gives you a real sense of achievement. PvP is new to Tera so they are listening to lots of feedback unlike many other games. I have been playing the Beta since it was released in Korea. The game looks different in USA/Euro andNothing new really if you play Korean MMO's like I do. If yo have not played any Korean MMO's you will enjoy it espcially the BAMs. Fighting a mob of that size gives you a real sense of achievement. PvP is new to Tera so they are listening to lots of feedback unlike many other games. I have been playing the Beta since it was released in Korea. The game looks different in USA/Euro and Korean servers due to the stage of finish and content restrictions but thats the fault of countries not Devs. Customer response will also vary as in the US it will be Frogster, Euro EnMasse. Frogster does not have a great rep with customers. Niether did EnMasse although they do with this title. Expand
  42. May 2, 2012
    Pretty simple. Once you play TERA it is near impossible to play other MMO's. Combat is unique, pacing is good and the graphics are awesome. Plus they have an awesome open world PvP system
  43. May 9, 2012
    Very enjoyable Western action-MMORPG. Brings the best of Vindictus, Cabal, and other action Asian MMORPG's and combines it with the stylings of Guild Wars 2 and the basic mechanics of staples like World of Warcraft. It is a very traditional game at its heart, questing, grinding, and the basic structure of any normal MMO is there, however the combat and beautiful visuals will really pullVery enjoyable Western action-MMORPG. Brings the best of Vindictus, Cabal, and other action Asian MMORPG's and combines it with the stylings of Guild Wars 2 and the basic mechanics of staples like World of Warcraft. It is a very traditional game at its heart, questing, grinding, and the basic structure of any normal MMO is there, however the combat and beautiful visuals will really pull you in and make you a part of the world. For the traditionalist that is looking for something a little new and exciting, mainly visceral combat. Expand
  44. Jul 31, 2012
    Let me start off by saying that I never intended on playing this game. Being a veteran of many past and current MMO's, I tried this game because of the available 7 day 23 level limit trial. Well, to my surprise I couldn't get over how fun the combat system is. I created a priest and was shocked at how awesome he is. Playing the classic Korean androgynous high elf I can thrash myLet me start off by saying that I never intended on playing this game. Being a veteran of many past and current MMO's, I tried this game because of the available 7 day 23 level limit trial. Well, to my surprise I couldn't get over how fun the combat system is. I created a priest and was shocked at how awesome he is. Playing the classic Korean androgynous high elf I can thrash my enemies with awesome combs and without having to repeat the normal rotations I am so used to in other MMO's. That is one of the large reasons why I prefer to play this game over many of my other MMO's. When I play Tera is fullfills my needs not only for an MMO, but for an action game in where my character placement and skill are actually important. I gave this game an 8 overall just because while the combat is great I feel that the quests could be a little more stimulating.
    One point that I must highlight about this game as well is the graphics. If you were, or are a fan of Lineage 2 and Korean games you will absolutely love this game. the character models are absolutely gorgeous, so make sure not to solicit your party members while in an important dungeon.
    In a very harsh MMO market, I believe that Tera will stay alive and well. The community seems good and the game brings to the market elements that no others contain. I for one see myself playing Tera for many more years to come and have faith that the additional endgame will fulfill its patrons. As the current dungeons are a very fun and unique experience.
  45. May 7, 2012
    Great game! If you are looking for some fresh MMO this is worth picking up, just remember though..it is still an MMO. You will still quest and grind no matter what MMO you are in. Combat is engaging and challenging, it reminds me of vanilla wow when bosses used to hurt, healing was challenging, tanking took attention. I currently am level 34 priest and im loving it. UnfortunatelyGreat game! If you are looking for some fresh MMO this is worth picking up, just remember though..it is still an MMO. You will still quest and grind no matter what MMO you are in. Combat is engaging and challenging, it reminds me of vanilla wow when bosses used to hurt, healing was challenging, tanking took attention. I currently am level 34 priest and im loving it. Unfortunately questing is linear so no matter how many alts i make there is only one way to go. Im sure there are quest hubs i missed/skipped however the main story will be repeated on any alts i make which is a small disappointment. Is it a wow killer? questionable...given time wow will kill itself however i think this game is definitely worth a pick up. Expand
  46. May 12, 2012
    What a refreshing change! Loving this game so far. The visuals are stunning, and each new zone draws me in farther. The combat feels much more active and fluid while retaining the intricacies and variety of skills. I have played MMO's for over seven years, and this is the best one so far. So happy to have found this.
  47. May 14, 2012
    Pros:

- Great PvP - Innovative Combat - Interesting Dungeons/Instances - Fun BAMs Cons: - Bit too easy to level (if that is a con) - Quests are unimaginative - Exploration is limited So far played a ranged and melee character and have definitely had more fun as melee, but the game is easier as ranged. Overall I've been through about 2/3 of the content and enjoyed it. Will I continue to
    Pros:

- Great PvP
    - Innovative Combat
    - Interesting Dungeons/Instances
    - Fun BAMs

Cons:
    - Bit too easy to level (if that is a con)
    - Quests are unimaginative
    - Exploration is limited

So far played a ranged and melee character and have definitely had more fun as melee, but the game is easier as ranged. Overall I've been through about 2/3 of the content and enjoyed it. Will I continue to subscribe yes and hopefully some of the cons will be addressed.
  48. May 16, 2012
    Great game. I've been playing non-stop since beta and I am surprised that I am not bored yet. The combat system is really great. I love being able to solo something that SHOULD kill me in one hit... if it catches me! Never played an MMORPG where I get to consider that.

Blocking... is amazing fun. Gotta parry those arrow and smash those little archers!
  49. May 3, 2012
    Id give tera a 9/10 purely because a 10 would be the end all greatest game of all time. Tera Is beautiful to play, I find combat to be my main selling point in a game to begin with so Tera has that down easy. second would be the story, Id give the story more of a 7/10. its not bad, Its just not SW;TOR good, I Say this game was 100% worth it, I read several of the bad reviews this game hasId give tera a 9/10 purely because a 10 would be the end all greatest game of all time. Tera Is beautiful to play, I find combat to be my main selling point in a game to begin with so Tera has that down easy. second would be the story, Id give the story more of a 7/10. its not bad, Its just not SW;TOR good, I Say this game was 100% worth it, I read several of the bad reviews this game has received, they seem to be from people who didn't even make it past the beginner island or had really bad computers. The questing is more focused on Grind and find I must admit though, But If you are playing a fun class you actually look forward to killing most creeps only passing up the ones you know are weak. And yes it is skill based to have to target even a BAM, If you try this and don't think so... try soloing it, big fun right there. Expand
  50. May 3, 2012
    Really fun game. The quests are fairly boring, but the action format of the combat is really enthralling. Also the rest of the game seems mostly polished out.
  51. May 9, 2012
    Action combat makes all the difference. Absolutely fantastic MMO! Fairly standard questing system, but it's much more fun when you have to aim and dodge and block etc. Visually stunning and runs well on most systems. The Unreal Engine is basically Unreal, especially compared to whatever engine SWTOR was using. All the things you'd expect with a typical PVE MMO plus more. You can tellAction combat makes all the difference. Absolutely fantastic MMO! Fairly standard questing system, but it's much more fun when you have to aim and dodge and block etc. Visually stunning and runs well on most systems. The Unreal Engine is basically Unreal, especially compared to whatever engine SWTOR was using. All the things you'd expect with a typical PVE MMO plus more. You can tell a lot of talent and heart went into making this game. Has a nice mix of silliness and seriousness. Expand
  52. May 15, 2012
    Just bought a yearly subscription for this game after being disappointed over Diablo 3. Truly a next-gen MMO, it may not have much going for it in the questing department but it's FUN. it's actually FUN. I want to play this game just to play it, not because I want to increase my gear score. I have never experienced that in an MMO before.
  53. May 3, 2012
    Game changer. Tera pulls out that old, boring stationary 'tab' based combat and replaces it with an awesome action game. The questing may be old fair but with Tera's beautiful world and dynamic combat, it's more challenging and engaging than ever before. Play Tera for 15 minutes and not only will you be hooked but you'll never be able to go back to old style MMO's again.
  54. May 2, 2012
    Experience: WoW, FFXI, FFXIV, EVE, SWToR, EQ, EQ2, Korean Tera Cons:
    - Not much variety in questing, pretty much your kill/gather/deliver quest variety throughout the game.
    Experience: WoW, FFXI, FFXIV, EVE, SWToR, EQ, EQ2, Korean Tera Cons:
    - Path for leveling is also very much straight forward on rails type deal. At certain levels you will need to hit certain zones to get/complete quest of your level. This only really becomes a problem when you start leveling your third or second character.
    - Lower levels are very easy, i would say they may even be to lowly tuned, because of the action combat system and your ability to dodge attacks many people may find the game somewhat boring through the stages of 1-30 ish as there is no feeling of real danger of death or real challenge in your questing.
    - Party size can sometimes be an issue when you have a large group of friends playing the game

Pros:
    - Group Quest. I don't think this is talked about enough about this game, group quest occur in almost every zone you level in but are not needed to be completed to progress through the zone. What this does is it gives players an option to do these group quest which requires a little setup but offers greater item/exp rewards than your normal quest. Or to pass them if they do not want to go through the trouble. This allows players to interact socially when questing, make friends, meet people, etc, but does not punish them if they happen to be playing at off hours when they cannot create a group. While this setup is nothing new to mmo's it is worth mentioning that it's in the game.
    - Party Grinding. I started playing mmos in EQ and FFXI which is why I like that this is in this game, but most bam (Big ass monster) quest when completed will give you a repeatable kill quest, which than allows people to form parties to grind on these bans for the exp they give, which is usually plentiful, and the exp/item reward gains from the quest itself. This is sometimes a welcome reprieve from soloing.
    - The Action combat system is also very fun, but as mentioned above in the cons can sometimes make the game feel too easy.
    - PVP, I find the over world PVP in this game to be well done, along with the guild battle system which allows players to declare war on a guild for some awesome over world pvp goodness. Currently no battlegrounds in the game however if you are a battleground enthusiast - Pretty game is pretty. Overall Tera is a very good game, but it's not one that I can suggest to everyone. The cons that i mentioned will affect certain people more than others. because of the way the questing system is currently setup, which is basically going from hub to hub doing kill/gather/deliver quest for some people It may feel like a very large grind. While the combat system does take the edge off a little, as mentioned when you get the hang of your class, and the best way to handle certain mobs it also makes the game sometimes feel like it's to easy and to repetitive. Add on to that what feels to be a very linear progression model, it does make the game feel like somewhat of a grind, this is even more prevalent on your 2nd or 3rd 60. However their are ways to change it up, they do have dungeons and a dungeon finder system, they also have ways via repeatable quest to grind bams in a party setting so you can focus on your job mechanics, ie if your a priest you can actually be healing a party instead of grinding quest, or if your a tank you can practice your tanking. These are welcome reprieves and are quite fun.
  55. May 3, 2012
    The combat mechanics of the game is extremely fun, gives you total control of attacks and dodge maneuvers. The world is beautiful, the characters well designed, an overall fun experience to explore the world.

The questing system is pretty typical and they haven't broken any real new ground in that respect but if your looking for deep storyline I can't really think of any MMOs that compare to single player games in this respect so you would need to ask yourself what your looking for in the game.

En Masse seems like a very responsive company, they listen to their player base and often go the extra mile to help out or give their players what they want.

The players on Darkfall seem like a decent bunch, haven't had any problems.
  56. May 2, 2012
    Okay so, first of all, this game really doesn't deserve anything lower than a 7. I laughed when I read some of the poorly scored reviews because it seems that people have missed the point entirely and commented on things that don't reflect the game, but rather their shoddy graphics cards. I've been playing for a few days now, and I've yet to come across a single bug, or have issues withOkay so, first of all, this game really doesn't deserve anything lower than a 7. I laughed when I read some of the poorly scored reviews because it seems that people have missed the point entirely and commented on things that don't reflect the game, but rather their shoddy graphics cards. I've been playing for a few days now, and I've yet to come across a single bug, or have issues with draw distance. Iâ Expand
  57. LMW
    May 19, 2012
    I've been playing MMORPG for 5-6 years - started with vanilla WoW (when Temple of Ahn'Qiraj was still 40 ppl instance and required SOME skill at least). Later I've tried Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, but both were disappointing. During last 2 year I've been trying to return to WoW, but didn't succeed - it was so casual and fast-pacing. And so I gave a try to TERA. I should say I neverI've been playing MMORPG for 5-6 years - started with vanilla WoW (when Temple of Ahn'Qiraj was still 40 ppl instance and required SOME skill at least). Later I've tried Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, but both were disappointing. During last 2 year I've been trying to return to WoW, but didn't succeed - it was so casual and fast-pacing. And so I gave a try to TERA. I should say I never played Korean MMORPG before and I was always afraid of constant grinding. However, I was surprised by quests in TERA. I felt like I returned to original WoW - sometimes quests are even challenging (solo fighting BAMs, for example). Some people complain about generic quests, but what else can you expect from MMORPG (korean, particularly)? In games like that, you always work as a delivery man, who, however, most of his time cleaning locations from evil monsters. Nothing special here. Next, I'd like to mention graphics and locations design. In 3 words, they are great! Very juicy colors, huge detailed environments, modern-looking characters models and, in general, relatively good engine optimization (I don't have top-notch PC, by the way).
    What I really enjoy is combat system. Yes, I've never played korean games before, but I did play american and european MMORPG. Combat system in TERA feels so much different from what I've seen before. Maybe it is not perfect, I agree, but it is so much more dynamic and fresh after years in WoW that I am still under positive influence. For example, when you are fighting monster in WoW, he / she always faces you (unless he / she is under stun effect). No matter how fast you run around him, he'll always will be facing you. In TERA, after monster land his attack or use his spell, it will take time for him to recharge and turn back to you. While he's recharging, you can perform any tactical moves, run around and score a combo or two! That is why it feels so amazingly different than regular MMORPG.
    So far, so good. What about bad point? I don't really like UI. To me, it feels a little sluggish and non-intuitive. Moreover, sometimes it just fails to do what you expect. It is not really a big deal, but sometimes it hard to understand certain features. All in all, I like this game so far. Though it was a very squeezed review, I mentioned points I really enjoyed and felt good about. Hope to see you in Tera!
  58. May 19, 2012
    I'm having a really good time with this game so far. Its a huge open world that doesn't seem limited by the hills and forests you see in the background. Combat is awesome. I played DCUO for a year and a half and couldn't go back to the right click- auto attack format. I play as a Mystic and I find that leveling is quick. There is a grind and you'll notice it if you mostly solo. Guild warsI'm having a really good time with this game so far. Its a huge open world that doesn't seem limited by the hills and forests you see in the background. Combat is awesome. I played DCUO for a year and a half and couldn't go back to the right click- auto attack format. I play as a Mystic and I find that leveling is quick. There is a grind and you'll notice it if you mostly solo. Guild wars are bad ass. Factionless PvP can get annoying but its easily avoidable and who doesn't like ganking noobs? The lore is interesting and its clear there's still a lot in store for the game. The release went well and there were server transfers offered at release. There was lag in major cities and I'm finding that with an AMD/ATI based system it can get jittery at times but once everything is loaded it runs at a smooth 40-60fps. I definitely recommend it. Expand
  59. May 22, 2012
    Terrific combat nice change of pace. Graphics are eye candy and the game is well optimized. I'd recommend the game to anyone who likes this genre. The game didn't get over hyped so in flying in under the radar.
  60. May 16, 2012
    An awesome game, that has slight draw distance problems, but that is easily over looked with the awesome combat, great graphics and the player ran political system.
  61. May 17, 2012
    I've played Tera for quite awhile now as a purely casual gamer. I think my main is in the low to mid 30's. I have to say that after every game i've played Tera is that game i keep coming back to. I'm in other betas for new mmos and I have enough money i could buy any game on any system but for some reason tera keeps drawing me back. The questing is repetative, however the environment isI've played Tera for quite awhile now as a purely casual gamer. I think my main is in the low to mid 30's. I have to say that after every game i've played Tera is that game i keep coming back to. I'm in other betas for new mmos and I have enough money i could buy any game on any system but for some reason tera keeps drawing me back. The questing is repetative, however the environment is great and as a casual gamer i don't feel the need to spend days a whole day playing tera. I log in for a couple of hours, knock out a lvl (leveling is pretty fast), log out and then after a day or so i feel like i want to play it again. Once you play tera for awhile normal mmos (and most games) will drive you nuts. Even the new ones. It was so difficult for me playing an upcoming MMO beta when i saw a boss charge up for a super attack and i couldn't block, dodge or teleport away from it. I just had to stand there and be killed. Tera will seem to lack customization at first and it will seem to lack content, however that gets introduced starting at lvl 20. It also seems kind of cookie cutter at times, but once you start to pvp you'll realize there really is no formula for success, just like in a basic fighting game, using the same moves over and over will get you killed. Expand
  62. May 15, 2012
    The game is exceptionally well-made. However, I had a pretty damn annoying experience w/ the launcher. No matter, support walked me through it and now everything is fine. The game has stunning visuals, smooth gameplay (no jerky movements, flawless animation), active combat, and I want to stress that last part- when you hit a monster u actually see them react and u feel like ur delivering aThe game is exceptionally well-made. However, I had a pretty damn annoying experience w/ the launcher. No matter, support walked me through it and now everything is fine. The game has stunning visuals, smooth gameplay (no jerky movements, flawless animation), active combat, and I want to stress that last part- when you hit a monster u actually see them react and u feel like ur delivering a powerful blow. However, the quests are the same old generic mmorpg quests. That's to be expected from most mmos anyhow. Another small gripe I had was the fact that there was no option to sword n' board and generally the melee classes only get to choose 1 weapon whereas in most other mmos you have several options. Regardless, the game was well-made, cool looking characters (hot looking women :D), amazing environment, the works... Expand
  63. May 15, 2012
    I've played a lot of WoW, but never felt very immersed in the plot or combat--I ended up giving up because it felt like everything was simply grinding. While grinding can be fun, I want more to a game than that. TERA provides in spades. For one, it doesn't have the rather annoying faction mechanism prevalent in games like WoW [and Rift]. When starting all players are in the same zone, soI've played a lot of WoW, but never felt very immersed in the plot or combat--I ended up giving up because it felt like everything was simply grinding. While grinding can be fun, I want more to a game than that. TERA provides in spades. For one, it doesn't have the rather annoying faction mechanism prevalent in games like WoW [and Rift]. When starting all players are in the same zone, so playing different races with friends is easier. The combat system really makes your attacks and strategy matter even when dealing with a simple grind. And I actually find the NPC dialogue to be interesting and logical in explaining why you have to go perform the quests. If you like games like Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 2 you'll likely enjoy the way TERA approaches crafting an MMO. Expand
  64. May 15, 2012
    The good: stunning graphics, innovative and engaging combat system (at least, for MMOs), guild vs guild world pvp, multiple "channels"/instances of the open world prevent excessive griefing on pvp servers.

The bad: repetitive questing (kill x mobs, gather x resources - although they aren't all like this), no pvp reward/ranking system for the performance of an individual (Guild vs Guild performance doesn't accurately represent a single person's pvp skill).

For some MMOers, combat comprises of a large part of your playtime and Tera's engaging combat system really makes that time enjoyable. Give this game a shot!
  65. Aug 28, 2012
    Awesome graphics and the best controls and play style I've ever seen in a MMORPG which makes, as they promised, a true combat game where you have to aim to hit your enemies and also aim your friends to heal them! There are some skills that lets you skip been hit by enemies and can be played with a game pad and an awesome combo system. The only reason why I don't rate this as a 10 isAwesome graphics and the best controls and play style I've ever seen in a MMORPG which makes, as they promised, a true combat game where you have to aim to hit your enemies and also aim your friends to heal them! There are some skills that lets you skip been hit by enemies and can be played with a game pad and an awesome combo system. The only reason why I don't rate this as a 10 is because the game is too lineal, you don't have too many different maps to play at each level range. Expand
  66. Apr 29, 2014
    Yes the questing is generic. But so is the questing in most MMOs I've played. The difference here is the world they have created is absolutely jaw dropping. Gorgeous visuals with action combat and cool looking architecture and mobs and I do not mind roaming around killing mobs and turning in quests. This has become my go to MMO. It's F2P.. give it a shot.
  67. May 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I created an account just to review this game and try to combat some of the misinformation people are spewing on her to down-rate this game.

The game's Action Combat is very refreshing to see in an MMO where the last decade all you had to do was tab-target and push a few numbers on your keyboard. While I admit this would not work on some hard mode fights in WoW and other games on dungeons you could usually just stand around and hop out of fire if it landed under you. With Tera you have to constantly be aiming at the boss (or teammates if you're a healer) planning your abilities and avoiding damage. The mobs in Tera have really cool animations as well. I just finished healing a Cultists Refuge group last night on my 40 Mystic and that was the most fun I've had healing in a very long time.

Try this game out you won't be disappointed!
  68. May 2, 2012
    how do users like stanleywoosmom get away with false reviews that do nothing but bash the game? what kind of idiot accuses this game of pedophilia? seriously. dont put false reviews if you've never even played a game morons.

this game is amazing, fluid combat, beautiful visuals, amazing boss fights. its easily PC game of 2012. it takes your traditional MMO and gives it a better combat

it takes your traditional MMO and gives it a better combat system, which is a much needed breath of fresh air. this easily beats the other releases this month, and the soon to come gay wars 2.
  69. May 2, 2012
    It is a nice refreshing change to the combat systems of all other MMOs out there. The having to dodge which requires you paying attention to the enemy animation (there is no cast bar) along with the lock on and aiming systems works very fluid. Graphically it is a eye pleasure, even more as you get out of the starting areas. It is a Korea based MMO and therefore unlike most Western MMOs itIt is a nice refreshing change to the combat systems of all other MMOs out there. The having to dodge which requires you paying attention to the enemy animation (there is no cast bar) along with the lock on and aiming systems works very fluid. Graphically it is a eye pleasure, even more as you get out of the starting areas. It is a Korea based MMO and therefore unlike most Western MMOs it is a bit more grindy that some maybe use to. Though this is offset a bit by the combat system which keeps you engaged a bit more than just standing there pressing attacks while downing a drink like other MMOs. If you are into healing this is a completely new experience than you will find in any game out currently. There are no healing bars that you click on, heals must be aimed at players or AoEs placed. Healers also provide support to the dps, have to be on constant movement around the field and on some fights are responsible for dps other targets. Can be a bit nerve racking at first, though quickly becomes a completely immersive experience. Again no standing there watching a healing grid waiting to play whack a mole. The crafting, enchanting etc system is a bit more tedious to really skill up. Crafting you will have access to every possible one (armor, cloth, leather, alch, focus etc) along with every gathering skill (mining, herb, essences). You could realistically level each one though it quickly becomes a money sink or gathering sink for certain reagents which only drop off larger mobs or instance quests. But to me this makes it much more satisfying to actually complete. Enchanting is the same way with a RNG to it if the reagents used (powders and a sacrificed item of gear) increase it. This generally means you probably will not be really enchanting the gear which is done through stages (+2-+12) till higher end tier items.

There is also no pay2win model here as some who have spewed here with not playing nor any attention to the actual discussions of the Western Tera. If you are looking for a chance in a MMO, do not mind a more grindy though generally rewarding experience with full attention and fluid situational awareness from all group members; then get Tera.
  70. May 2, 2012
    Absolutely marvelous game, that delivers a lot. It got its downs, such as the same old fetch quests, but doing them is very enjoyable thanks to the combat system. Soloing BAMs is a fun and rewarding experience, and can be a headache if you don't know what you're heading into. The instances later on are very hard, one mistake means you're dead...which is a good change from the late drop ofAbsolutely marvelous game, that delivers a lot. It got its downs, such as the same old fetch quests, but doing them is very enjoyable thanks to the combat system. Soloing BAMs is a fun and rewarding experience, and can be a headache if you don't know what you're heading into. The instances later on are very hard, one mistake means you're dead...which is a good change from the late drop of difficulty in MMOs(Im looking at you SWTOR and WoW). All in all, amazing graphics, playability is fluid and consistent, classes are mostly balanced, and sexy females in always a good point in my book! Expand
  71. May 2, 2012
    Beautiful and fantastic. The combat is truly exciting, and the game is tons of fun to play both by myself and with other people. I urge people to try the game before writing it off; having someone describe it to you saying "the combat is fun" and such just doesn't do the system justice. Aiming your spells? Timing your strikes? Blocking enemy hits? This is truly an action game in MMOBeautiful and fantastic. The combat is truly exciting, and the game is tons of fun to play both by myself and with other people. I urge people to try the game before writing it off; having someone describe it to you saying "the combat is fun" and such just doesn't do the system justice. Aiming your spells? Timing your strikes? Blocking enemy hits? This is truly an action game in MMO form.

While the game has been recently released, there are relatively few bugs, and the gaming experience is generally smooth. When issues do rise up, the support team is also among the nicest that I have encountered, and quick to reply. En Masse is also very vocal on twitter, so players always know what is going on when an in game event occurs, or there are login troubles. There is a lot of potential in TERA, and I expect great things to come.
  72. May 3, 2012
    Pros:
    - The fighting, instant mounts and smoothe moves.
    - The visuals are just stunning.
    - Vanarch system seems like an awesome addition (Though, I have yet to see the system in action)

Cons:
    - Questing system brings little new to the table, however ,with the combat system being what it is, it will not feel like a chore.
  73. May 3, 2012
    I came to this game after having played for through WoW for a little over a year. What drew me to this game was the combat. It is amazing. The skill shots, the character placement, the animations, and the particles are all top notch! The graphics are superb, character creation is fantastic, even the early level grindy quests are fun because you look so good doing them, and with theI came to this game after having played for through WoW for a little over a year. What drew me to this game was the combat. It is amazing. The skill shots, the character placement, the animations, and the particles are all top notch! The graphics are superb, character creation is fantastic, even the early level grindy quests are fun because you look so good doing them, and with the combat system you can approach every fight differently. The instances are fraking awesome, and the instance bosses are enormous and terrifying! The BAMs and world bosses break any kind of monotony you might find in a regular quest chain. People who give this game a bad review are the jaded gamer type, don't let them steer you away from what could possibly be the best game of the year, and certainly the best MMO. My only gripe is that the instance matchmaking system needs some smoothing out, long queue times can be a turn off to people sitting there not doing something to fill their time. Expand
  74. May 3, 2012
    This is the only game i've taken the time to actually write a review about. I even created an account for this. I frequent this site to check game scores very often. TERA is a great game. The combat is refreshing and it becomes pretty addictive. When you first start the game there is an intro which allows you to "test drive" the class you choose as if you were already at lvl 20, which isThis is the only game i've taken the time to actually write a review about. I even created an account for this. I frequent this site to check game scores very often. TERA is a great game. The combat is refreshing and it becomes pretty addictive. When you first start the game there is an intro which allows you to "test drive" the class you choose as if you were already at lvl 20, which is fun and also introduces you to the combat system. The does progress an epic storyline, which isn't to deep or full of intrigue but it gripped me enough so that i actually watch all the cutscenes. The community in the game seems to be pretty happy with the product so far, and i have a feeling tera is here to stay. You'll have no problem finding people to party up with or a guild to join. So, i strongly suggest anyone to give this game a go. Expand
  75. May 3, 2012
    I am officially hooked. I've tried almost every MMO that has come out since WoW and none hooked me the way TERA did immediately. The action-style combat has ruined me for traditional tab-target MMOs. The races and classes are extremely varied and all fun to play. Only two slight complaints: First, a little more variety in the character customization would be welcome. Second, the questingI am officially hooked. I've tried almost every MMO that has come out since WoW and none hooked me the way TERA did immediately. The action-style combat has ruined me for traditional tab-target MMOs. The races and classes are extremely varied and all fun to play. Only two slight complaints: First, a little more variety in the character customization would be welcome. Second, the questing system is fine, but nothing special. There are plenty of quests, though, so leveling up is easy. Overall, it's an awesome game, and a breath of fresh air for an MMO fan like me who hasn't had anything grab his attention in a long while. I would give it a 9 out of 10 but I'm bumping it up to offset the ridiculous zero scores from people who seemingly haven't read about the game, much less actually played it (hint: there is no play2win cash shop). Everyone I know who has tried it has loved it. Expand
  76. May 3, 2012
    Fantastic gameplay/combat. Lots of complaints about the generic quest engine but honestly that means almost nothing because you'll be having far to much fun killing without having to target anything. Hit boxes are accurate and graphics are, simply put, stunning.I highly recommend this game. Even with diablo 3 releasing soon this is a must to add to the collection. Every class is unique inFantastic gameplay/combat. Lots of complaints about the generic quest engine but honestly that means almost nothing because you'll be having far to much fun killing without having to target anything. Hit boxes are accurate and graphics are, simply put, stunning.I highly recommend this game. Even with diablo 3 releasing soon this is a must to add to the collection. Every class is unique in its play styles and for the console gamers, you can play this with an xbox or ps3 controller without losing any of the mmo experience. Expand
  77. May 2, 2012
    Overall, the game is quite solid.

Overall, the game is quite solid.

Bluehole (the original developer) definitely innovated a good deal on the MMO genre, and mixed it with some of the old. Don't be misguided, the game still follows the standard "Quest + Instance" format that most post-WoW MMOs do. However, the combat really shines. After you reach level 20+ and have a good deal of abilities in your arsenal, it's downright exciting.

Instances become very complex, starting at around level 45 they take a good deal of skill to complete. Bosses often have 5-6 special mechanics that require handling, and punish failure severely.

I can't comment much on PvP, although I've heard good things.
  78. May 2, 2012
    FAN. TASTIC.

FAN. TASTIC.

This game blows current generation MMOs out of the water with their gameplay mechanics. Since Bluehole Studios do not have a large franchise behind them like Starwars, Guildwars, or Diablo, they needed to innovate and make a fantastic game. Otherwise, no one would play it! Well, they've done it here. True action combat (think: street fighter) combined with a revolutionary political system where your guild can take over and rule a province (complete with guild house and taxes), they have been able to make an engaging game that is a blast to play. Not to mention the stellar graphics in the game.

All in all, Tera is a polished MMO that is a start of a new franchise that you won't want to miss!
  79. May 2, 2012
    The game honestly is really fun. The graphics are great, the service is great, even the community seems great. Don't listen to what anyone else is saying and try the game for yourself. You can't go wrong with finding your own opinion,
  80. May 2, 2012
    Tera has suprised me with highly impressive visuals and extremely fun combat. The game has raised the bar for the MMO genre. The Big Ass Monster battles are chaotic and a ton of fun. The world is absolutely huge and highly detailed. There are so many peices to talk about but the bottom line is that I will be playing this game for a very long time.
  81. May 2, 2012
    The combat mechanics are engaging and very fun, the visuals and artwork are beautiful, the enchanting is somewhat unique among mainstream MMOs and En Masse has done a wonderful job supporting the community so far. My MMO background consists of 1 year of FFXI, 1 year of FFXIV, 6 years of WoW, 6 months of SWTOR and less than 6 months of LOTRO, Rift, AION and Vindictus. This is the firstThe combat mechanics are engaging and very fun, the visuals and artwork are beautiful, the enchanting is somewhat unique among mainstream MMOs and En Masse has done a wonderful job supporting the community so far. My MMO background consists of 1 year of FFXI, 1 year of FFXIV, 6 years of WoW, 6 months of SWTOR and less than 6 months of LOTRO, Rift, AION and Vindictus. This is the first game since WoW to hook me, although I enjoyed playing all the others. The game is very un-like wow though so don't expect to move easily from one to the other. Expand
  82. May 2, 2012
    Brings a fresh and enjoyable combat system to the MMO market. The graphics in this game are gorgeous and the engine runs very smoothly. Both character design and armor design are beautiful, as well as picturesque landscape with large fields of depth. Zone and dungeon design are well made and visually stunning. Tera features great guild support and also guild vs guild battles. The gameBrings a fresh and enjoyable combat system to the MMO market. The graphics in this game are gorgeous and the engine runs very smoothly. Both character design and armor design are beautiful, as well as picturesque landscape with large fields of depth. Zone and dungeon design are well made and visually stunning. Tera features great guild support and also guild vs guild battles. The game has a lot of open world pvp and a FFA faction-less system. Could be better with battlegrounds but those will be implemented by the end of summer. Expand
  83. May 3, 2012
    After seeing the mass of absolutely stupid reviews about this game, such as "OMG WOW CLONE LOLZ" etc, i thought i would put in my 2 cents to balance out the score, as those people have clearly never played the game (or are not the sort of people who SHOULD be playing the game)

I've read good things about this game, so i thought i had to give it a try. With no trial, and i couldn't find any buddy codes i decided to just jump in and buy the game, and pray that i don't get burned like in the past (DCUO, one of the most recent notable examples).

As i live in UK, i was torn between which version to buy, En Masse (North American), or Frogster (Europe). I decided to go with En Masse due to hearing good things about the community and polite staff and also because it would be a more English speaking community. however i believe having 2 different publishers with slightly different versions of the game could REALLY hurt the sales of the game, due to confusing new players

It took me a full day to actually download the game, due to the rediculous game size (18Gb), and then i had a few logging in problems.

Then i logged in, and after being utterly confused as to why i was starting at lvl 20, and searching forums/websites to see if it was a bug, or something, i persevered and found it was just a prologue. Good idea, badly executed.

Then i got onto Noob Island. and this is where i really started to fall in love with the game. It looks amazing. it plays amazing. sure, the quests are really repetitive, but a few times i have actually found myself killing too many of "x" mob just because i got carried away with the slaughter - the combat is just THAT fun!

I'm still on Noob Island, so i can't really comment on anything after the island, but i hear the game just gets better from then onwards. And the political system sounds like an interesting end-game, i'm not one for raiding so it's refreshing to see a new take on an MMO-end game that could just keep me interested!
  84. May 3, 2012
    AMAZING GAME!! Loved every minute of it. I have been playing since the closed betas, and no other MMO even close to compares. The combat is awesome and it is gorgeous.
  85. May 3, 2012
    Revitalized my interest in PvE in MMOs, amazing PvP, breathtaking scenery. Definitely worth picking up if you are in the market for a new MMO this year.
  86. May 3, 2012
    This game has amazing graphical quality, a great metagame through GvG and political system, and despite the somewhat generic quest system, it is carried by its combat, which is head and shoulders above anything else offered in the genre. The world is beautiful, interesting, and seamless, with the added functionality of channels that allow styles of play not regulated by other players - ie,This game has amazing graphical quality, a great metagame through GvG and political system, and despite the somewhat generic quest system, it is carried by its combat, which is head and shoulders above anything else offered in the genre. The world is beautiful, interesting, and seamless, with the added functionality of channels that allow styles of play not regulated by other players - ie, forced to camp spawns or compete for items. Which, as another thing, the gathering can be done by the entire group, which obviously relieves tension and improves group relationships, even with complete strangers. Any MMO fan owes it to themself to play this game. People say the P2P MMO is dying, but this is a great example of an extremely high quality P2P MMO that will redefine the genre. Expand
  87. May 3, 2012
    One of the best MMO they have made to date. This is the MMO everyone with good taste and sense will be playing for years to come. After playing Tera every other game you play feels sub par. Nothing will top the quality of this game for a long time
  88. May 3, 2012
    First impressions of this title were mixed, I appreciated the art style and incredible visual detail but wasn't sure if I'd just end up finding the same boring grind that I've experienced in other Korean MMOG's. I couldn't have been more off target. This game is a must play for anyone who likes Action RPG combat, I never thought I'd be playing an MMOG that had more fluid, satisfyingFirst impressions of this title were mixed, I appreciated the art style and incredible visual detail but wasn't sure if I'd just end up finding the same boring grind that I've experienced in other Korean MMOG's. I couldn't have been more off target. This game is a must play for anyone who likes Action RPG combat, I never thought I'd be playing an MMOG that had more fluid, satisfying action combat than comparable single-player ARPG's, and surprisingly little grind (not that I'd even mind, fighting is joy). If you like stylized high-fantasy with the most impressive combat system I've ever seen in this genre, you need to play this.

I could only find a single fault, and that's in the shallow story and highly genre-bound quests (Kill/Find/Gather X of Y in this area, move to the next area, rinse & repeat.), but the world itself is quite charming despite the lack of story.
  89. May 7, 2012
    Very cute, fun, and just plain enjoyable MMO. What I love most about it is the massive open world. Too many MMO games these days have small areas covered with loading screen after loading screen but Tera has two massive continents to explore just like WoW had. I especially like the color customization but wish the make up didn't come in bundles and you can customize lipstick, etc. seperately :>
  90. May 3, 2012
    This game is really really fun and enjoyable. You have a very active combat system requiring a ton of timing and expertise to combo the correct moves in the right order. Melee classes have a lot of challenges avoiding enemies' AOE damage etc.
    Grouping is really well done, but the lack of tanks is noticeable. Pick up this game if you enjoyed WoW, but wanted combat closer to Dragon Age 2 or Skyrim.
  91. May 2, 2012
    Overall a decent MMO. Already developed for over a year in Korea, this port has been really well done. It brings new combat to the table, it's strongest feature. No more tab, target, face roll. You need to move, use attacks that are appropriate, watch the mob for signals that it's attacks are coming and move out of the way or block. VERY action oriented and very refreshing.

The

The artwork is amazing, character and creature models are great. Each new creature I run into, I amazed at the little details that make it interesting. The world is beautiful.

A new political system that I haven't seen done in games before, though it hasn't come into play yet, it will be interesting to see how it works.

Everything else is standard MMO, quest, kill mobs, level up. Overall I rate it pretty high because I really enjoy running around in the world and the combat.
  92. May 2, 2012
    The first thing you'll notice is that the game is simply stunning. No visual corner was left untouched by the dev team. Character creation is fun and the classes all feel unique. Quests consist of your gather/kill types with story quests peppered for good measure. Every two levels you get new skills and the leveling treadmill feels quick enough to feel rewarding and slow enough to give youThe first thing you'll notice is that the game is simply stunning. No visual corner was left untouched by the dev team. Character creation is fun and the classes all feel unique. Quests consist of your gather/kill types with story quests peppered for good measure. Every two levels you get new skills and the leveling treadmill feels quick enough to feel rewarding and slow enough to give you time to get used to them. Overall the game has an incredibly polished feeling to it and the dev team has very strong ties to the community. Expand
  93. May 2, 2012
    Tera is an amazing game, while it does take a while to show it's beauty this game is far from any wow clone. There is amazing character and quest depth, While the game does present you with traditional go kill x monsters and report back, the mechanics and fighting style of the game allow for some intense boss fights with tanks getting one shot when they are not prepared. all in all this isTera is an amazing game, while it does take a while to show it's beauty this game is far from any wow clone. There is amazing character and quest depth, While the game does present you with traditional go kill x monsters and report back, the mechanics and fighting style of the game allow for some intense boss fights with tanks getting one shot when they are not prepared. all in all this is an amazing game and has a lot of potential for the future. Expand
  94. May 4, 2012
    The game is just awesome! The main thing in every game is fighting system, and Tera got it perfected down to the detail! Graphics 10/10 Story 7/10 (it could be better) Music and sound effects 9/10 Mechanics 10/10

Oh, and btw, i saw some comments that this is a grindfest mmo?!? WTF??? It simply has nothing to do with grinding, as the matter of fact, many ppl are complaining that it`s quite easy to level up, and it`s far from a grindfest type of mmo (there`s no pointless mob killing, just following the story quest and some side quests to gain more XP)... It`s worth every cent, so i recommend it with all my heart :) Enjoy!
  95. May 7, 2012
    After SWTOR it makes a change to see a game released that's polished offers everything I want from an MMO. Im probably 80 hrs in and I haven't experienced any real bugs yet mentioned in other reviews. The game world is HUGE and although it isn't everything the graphics are also impressive for an MMO. The combat is refreshing and the open world PVP on PVP servers means your always aware ofAfter SWTOR it makes a change to see a game released that's polished offers everything I want from an MMO. Im probably 80 hrs in and I haven't experienced any real bugs yet mentioned in other reviews. The game world is HUGE and although it isn't everything the graphics are also impressive for an MMO. The combat is refreshing and the open world PVP on PVP servers means your always aware of whats going on around you. Even on the PVP servers there's plenty of channels if you want to avoid being taken out while fighting mobs. If you've been waiting for Guild Wars II then this should be a great surprise and who knows if Guild Wars 2 doesn't live up to the hype you might just end up staying. It may not offer massive changes to the MMORPG formula but is that really what everyone wants? Expand
  96. May 6, 2012
    I'm definitely enjoying this game. With most MMO's its a rush to get through the early game and get max level and with this MMO, to be honest, I'm enjoying just leveling for once. Yea the quests arn't anything new and innovative: kill this... escort this guy... protect this.... But if you enjoy killing this... and escorting this guy... just to fight something because the combat isI'm definitely enjoying this game. With most MMO's its a rush to get through the early game and get max level and with this MMO, to be honest, I'm enjoying just leveling for once. Yea the quests arn't anything new and innovative: kill this... escort this guy... protect this.... But if you enjoy killing this... and escorting this guy... just to fight something because the combat is enjoyable, then that is a whole a different story. The boss fights are fun and keep you on your toes and the PVP and Guild Vs Guild is also pretty good. I really like the infamy system to prevent gankers (players that kill lower level players get flagged and other people can kill them with no penalty. Depending on the level difference the higher level ganker can be flagged for hours) . People have been complaining about the draw distance and I can kind of see what they mean, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Expand
  97. May 10, 2012
    I love this new concept of MMO game. Aiming, dodging, and attacking are all very exciting! Plus, I like the fantastic graphic of race, armor, background. Character creation is also interesting to personalize.
  98. May 2, 2012
    I will be upfront and admit that I have been following Tera excitedly for a few years now. I was evry excited about this game and very scared as well. What I had seen and read made it look too good to be true and I was prepared to be disappointed with it - the track record of recent MMOs like Aion, Rift, FFXIV and SW:TOR made me sure that this game would let me down as well. Well itI will be upfront and admit that I have been following Tera excitedly for a few years now. I was evry excited about this game and very scared as well. What I had seen and read made it look too good to be true and I was prepared to be disappointed with it - the track record of recent MMOs like Aion, Rift, FFXIV and SW:TOR made me sure that this game would let me down as well. Well it absolutely hasn't much to my surprise.

Combat:
    Combat is action based. Depending on your class you may have a few target lock spells, but 90% are aimed. Characters are stuck in their animations while performing an action in order to assist with balance (how OP would a mage that could cast and run be?). The animations are incredibly fluid as well, that was one of the things I noticed the first time I played. The combat sounds are distinct and solid, you /know/ when you have hit something. Something other MMOs lack. This is the first MMO where combat positioning is incredibly important for all classes - even healers. Admittedly the first 20 levels are a bit slow, once you hit around level 23 you really start to understand why this game is so much fun to play.

Questing:
    There are 4 types of quests; Storyline, Normal, Repeatable and Guild. While the Storyline quests are interesting and give some great rewards and XP, the rest are pretty boring and should be done while doing the Storyline quests imo.

I can't comment on the end game, but so far there are 2 things to do - Politics and Hard Mode dungeons (5 man) the hardmode dungeon mechanics look like raid mechanics from videos I have watched and politics look very intriguing. It will be interesting to see how that all works out in the end.

There are a few bugs at the moment, but nothing too unexpected from a brand new MMO, certainly not enough bugs to detract more than a point or two.

It's fairly obvious that the negative reviews here are coming from people that either haven't played the game, do not understand how latency affects gameplay or have played to a very low level (sub 14).
  99. May 2, 2012
    Honest review ... Played since closed beta 3. North America -Tera is as a modified Korean-Tera. The graphics are outstanding and mesmerizing. Character creation is detailed and fluid. The game holds a prologue that starts your character at lvl 20 in a pre story line state lasting about 15 minutes of game play as this toon. Once you complete it you are then returned to lvl 1 and the mainHonest review ... Played since closed beta 3. North America -Tera is as a modified Korean-Tera. The graphics are outstanding and mesmerizing. Character creation is detailed and fluid. The game holds a prologue that starts your character at lvl 20 in a pre story line state lasting about 15 minutes of game play as this toon. Once you complete it you are then returned to lvl 1 and the main game begins. This is outstanding for getting a look at some armors, skill animations/abilities and over all game-play of that toon. The combat is not stcky tab target, mash some buttons and get bored in 5 minutes, nor is it a "Korean grinder". En Masse, the publisher has taken steps to add quests and balance gameplay to a more comfortable NA style of game-play. Yes the interface and combat style is totally different from previous mmos. Combat, tanking and even healing are engaging. The "in the works" portions of the game I think is where the negative press comes in. The pvp battle grounds are not in game yet and open world pvp is based on guild vs guild and politics. PVP servers exist and are rather chaotic at the moment, sadly not my stronger game-play exp.

I personally love the fresh and new innovations Blue Hole has designed and added to Tera. The whole things runs really well with decent settings on a lower PC but above minimal requirements. My personal view, after playing mmos since UO in 1997, is that this is a diamond in the rough, that is being over looked due to much bigger names and franchises releasing near same time. New ppl logging in are amazed at the community and the over all experience within minutes. I hope this helps!
  100. May 3, 2012
    Tera's combat is the most refreshing thing I have played in all my MMO experience, hand down.

Anyone who dislikes this game, was simply filtered by Tera's lack of "spoon feeding" that lazy gamers have gotten spoiled with, especially within the first 20 levels.

The game opens up to the one of the best MMO experiences that you could ever take part in.

1. Aug 23, 2012
    Tera sure makes promise on the "true action combat" that it so advertises, but that change alone to the MMORPG formula isn't enough to flip the genre on its head, especially when you've forgotten about other aspects of it.
  2. Aug 22, 2012
    That being said, Tera is in surprisingly good shape for a game so early in its life cycle. The journey to level cap is mostly entertaining, endgame content is available, and the core gameplay elements are solid.
  3. Aug 13, 2012
    Action-oriented combat and interesting graphics aren't enough to overcome what is overall a rather bland experience.