6.9

1. May 25, 2015
    This game is awful overall and the only people who should every play it are people who love endless grind or pulling out their credit cards so they can pay to win.

I'll be nice though and start with the only positive. The gameplay mechanics itself is decently fun in PVE. Rolling around and chaining abilities can be challenging on harder bosses and offers something most MMOs don't. However, it's largely repetitive after a while and can get old after you get halfway to the level cap. This is about all TERA has to offer.

As for the rest of it, once you hit the level cap expect a huge gear disadvantage followed by endless grind with a horrific community and just about every other standard feature you'd expect out of an MMO falling flat on its face so hard that I honestly can't believe, after all the past examples we've had, they'd do so freaking bad at this things.

First off, let's discuss PvP. It's not balanced. In terms of classes alone, TERA is another game which for some indeterminable reason decided to implement the god awful trinity (heals, DPS, tank) for groups. This automatically means that certain classes are going to faceroll other classes on the spot just by the nature of what their class is designed to do in 1v1. Their chosen method to fix this is to basically make healer classes have an endless supply of health, heals, mana and dodge skills which, instead of making it engaging to try to kill a healer, basically make it impossible to solo most healers and makes it a game of running around chasing them constantly. It's not fun. Not only this, but the two classes they've recently implemented are so undeniably overpowered that it's completely ruined PvP. The gunner has abilities that can completely wipe a group in 3v3 in one shot, and other abilities that require no skill at all but still wipe half of your health away while other melee DPS classes have to get off entire combos in exact order and pray the other player doesn't somehow desync while they're doing it to even come close to that kind of damage.

Did I mention the gear grind for PvP also? Once you hit the level cap, you'll be put on a horrible, boring, and uneventful grind for gear. What's worse is that without the top gear, you'll be at such a huge disadvantage that you'll be effectively cut out from about half of the PvP content available. What's even worse is that players can pay to get this gear at such a hugely faster pace that it's effectively pay to win. Also the battlegrounds you have are awful and all broken for various reasons which I can't list here because it'd take too long. They're just bad, and you have to repeat them over and over to get end game gear, along with grinding PvE. What's even worse is that instead of fixing their current BGs or adding new interesting PvP content, they're just adding higher level armor for more grind to keep players around. Expect constant desyncs and lag spikes while you're playing too; screen freeze and then sudden death. So much fun.

The graphics are OK but poorly optimized. It's about on the level of Aion for pure visuals but chugs like the Witcher 3.

The combo system they tried to implement is something every player avoids because it just doesn't work like it should. Because of this, players turn to hotkey binding like WoW which, in my opinion, is awful and should have died for every MMO that came out after WoW.

PvE is a grind and very samey. Nothing new after hitting level 30 or so. The same quests and then playing the same dungeons repeatedly just like WoW to get end game gear which is an even worse grind than PvP gear. I don't recommend it.

The game is oversexualized. I found it hard to play at first just because of this. There's an overwhelmingly preferred race called Elin which is modeled after maybe an 8 year old anime girl which everyone dresses up in lingerie and stuff. It's obvious that there is some pedophilia infiltrating the ranks of TERA players.

The broker is useless. Players put up stacks of consumable items which other players must buy the whole amount for sale or none at all. On top of this, the broker has a system where you have to negotiate with the player selling while they are online in order to receive a reasonable price. Otherwise, the game tacks on an extra set percentage which goes to neither player and just disappears as a tax. The negotiate option is obnoxious as it spams in chat trying to force you to answer it. People will constantly lowball your price too making you constantly hit refuse.

The community of TERA is awful. It's not much better than **** The GMs haven't moderated the game in forever so harassment, derogatory language, racism, sexism, and pure filth are everywhere in chat. You'll be hard pressed to run into a decent group of people anywhere in the game who aren't the LOL YOU'RE SO BAD types either.

I'm starting to run out of space so I'll just sum it up here. This is an awful game. Avoid it at all costs unless you really want a long grind.
  2. May 18, 2015
    The game is pretty good looking. Combat is great when you're playing pve. However, other than providing many hours of semi enjoyable level grind, Tera online has very little to offer. After bringing two characters to level cap, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the game. PVP is pretty much irreconcilably broken. The outcomes of fights rely on gear, not skill, and this gear isThe game is pretty good looking. Combat is great when you're playing pve. However, other than providing many hours of semi enjoyable level grind, Tera online has very little to offer. After bringing two characters to level cap, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the game. PVP is pretty much irreconcilably broken. The outcomes of fights rely on gear, not skill, and this gear is only attainable if you log many many hours of dungeon runs and crafting. Even if you were to do this, why would you? Incentives to stay in other MMOs aren't there in Tera.
    I think that the biggest problem Tera faces is the imbalance between classes. For an MMO that has been around for as long as Tera has, you would think that they would have figured out class balance by now.
    Overall I spent way too many hours running back and forth doing tearfully boring missions, all to finally reach level cap and realize that the community is toxic, and the game is empty of any real content.
  3. May 7, 2015
    Whereas the game is solid, when the only thing many ppl know about the game is that you can play as attractive females, the devs have done something wrong.
  4. Mar 7, 2015
    I honestly can't believe all the POSITIVE REVIEWS for this 'game.'

Do all these people like playing the SAME GAME they've played five-ten times before?! BEST COMBAT SYSTEM EVER?! I might like DOUBLE DRAGON better than this! I only got to level 11 and I could ALREADY TELL it was going to be the SAME redundant CHORE QUESTS every damn place I go! It's just another
    I honestly can't believe all the POSITIVE REVIEWS for this 'game.'

BEST COMBAT SYSTEM EVER?! I might like DOUBLE DRAGON better than this!

I only got to level 11 and I could ALREADY TELL it was going to be the SAME redundant CHORE QUESTS every damn place I go! It's just another walk-around-and-do-this (again) game!

These ratings should be a FOUR MAX and more realistically a 2.5!

I'm convinced En Masse Entertainment paid off thousands of people to give this game GOOD RATINGS and then went broke soon after so they had to make it FREE TO PLAY.

Garbage game with VERY FEW UPSIDES.

3/10!
  5. Jan 6, 2015
    Of all MMOs i tried besides WoW,i can say TERA is the most original for me.
    It has a lot of grinding,can be really repetetive,but the combat is a breath of fresh air between all these games.The combat system is a mix of static WoW-like skill usage,with Hack'n'slash elements and combos.
    Of all MMOs i tried besides WoW,i can say TERA is the most original for me.
    The Variety of PvP modes,and PvE modes are really nice,though the endgame PvE content can be really unforgiving.(not recommended for casual players)
    And the Unreal engine strikes again,and the game looks awesome,animations are very well made and is well-optimized.They really created a deeply detailed world,just look at the armors :O(female chars FTW)

And the game is completely free,only armors look and things like dat require money.(ofc it can be bought from players by gold).

For(hardcore) MMO and H'n'S fans,i can only recommend it,one of the best free MMO out there.
  6. Dec 19, 2014
    This is actually a fun game - the overall concept it nothing new, but the combat system is really fun, much more fast paced / hack-n-slash than the traditional ''click-n-cast" like WoW. Unfortunately, if you're based in Europe, Gameforge - the publisher - are HORRIBLE. Frequent patch problems, launcher is really buggy, downloads are very slow, so your first install might take days (and I'mThis is actually a fun game - the overall concept it nothing new, but the combat system is really fun, much more fast paced / hack-n-slash than the traditional ''click-n-cast" like WoW. Unfortunately, if you're based in Europe, Gameforge - the publisher - are HORRIBLE. Frequent patch problems, launcher is really buggy, downloads are very slow, so your first install might take days (and I'm on a 150Mbps cable line so its not my end) and worst is the Terrible support (especially annoying if you're actually paid money through the store) Expand
  7. Dec 14, 2014
    Okay so ive played a few mmorpgs in my time and by far this is one of the best ive come across. Im not going to talk about the good things because you should just download it and you'll understand. So here are the negatives. The quests are straight foward and pretty much a few classes dominate the Pvp realm. There is a lot of grinding involved and if you like playing solo ( like me ) its aOkay so ive played a few mmorpgs in my time and by far this is one of the best ive come across. Im not going to talk about the good things because you should just download it and you'll understand. So here are the negatives. The quests are straight foward and pretty much a few classes dominate the Pvp realm. There is a lot of grinding involved and if you like playing solo ( like me ) its a lot harder to fight against BAM's and grind them. If you get stuck in an area full of mobs then just aggro on you and keep going. This is okay if you are a higher level with health potions, but if you just entered the area your in a world of hurt. The game gets really interesting lvl 20 or 30 and above. Dont let the negatives change your choice on this game because its the best ive played in a while. Expand
  8. Dec 2, 2014
    generic questing.
    Great graphics, but lame characters made to attract horny kids.
    The "action combat" wasn't very action like, honestly. The melee classes revert to a pretty generic button mashing MMO, the ranged classes aren't much different. I didn't play it very much though, honestly, the character designs and F2P tells me that it just wants easy profits from horny dudes. Sort of
    generic questing.
    Great graphics, but lame characters made to attract horny kids.
    Sort of like scarlet blade in the sense that, unless it does some really amazing ground breaking work, its all going to be overshadowed by the cheap money grabbing character designs.
    The community is very young from what I saw.

The f2p model isn't that bad, people who pay monthly get some pretty hefty gold/xp benefits, but its not terrible.
  9. Nov 26, 2014
    I find this game very boring and grindy. Quests of kill 15 of a goat mob then 10 of some other mob and repeat. Or collect some sort of item. Not really any variety in quests. The story didn't grip me and dislike the trashy races.

It is good for making me fall asleep, so I only pay it at night with friends as it helps me get a good sleep.
  10. Sep 27, 2014
    Tera online's action is so smooth, so immediate, and so enjoyable that it's likely to keep you invested in Tera.Awesome combat that connects you to the onscreen action.Exciting fights against big monsters(bam).Great dungeons,great pvp,the environment is a little different because it was first released in south korea, so the environment, characters, and monsters may seen kind of weird forTera online's action is so smooth, so immediate, and so enjoyable that it's likely to keep you invested in Tera.Awesome combat that connects you to the onscreen action.Exciting fights against big monsters(bam).Great dungeons,great pvp,the environment is a little different because it was first released in south korea, so the environment, characters, and monsters may seen kind of weird for the eu players it's not like west mmo's and the graphics...ohh that graphics are the best! You should try this game. Expand
  11. Sep 10, 2014
    Amazing art design. Awesome action combat. The down side? takes forever to download, and questing boring as hell, go there kill 10 come back now go there, once you get there then kill 20 come back, next area Oh the excitement of a new area discovered!! guess what? go there kill 10 come back. rinse and repeat. Good looking non-stop grind fest action combat! that's my definition for Tera.
  12. Aug 21, 2014
    I played this game until level 41 with a warrior and then i got bored. While the graphics may be good and the combat mechanics are better than most other mmorpgs, it is not used properly, the monsters are all approached by the same approach, all the monster die from 2 skills, and the quests are so boring that i wanted this game to end. I struggled to start this game and to keep playing it,I played this game until level 41 with a warrior and then i got bored. While the graphics may be good and the combat mechanics are better than most other mmorpgs, it is not used properly, the monsters are all approached by the same approach, all the monster die from 2 skills, and the quests are so boring that i wanted this game to end. I struggled to start this game and to keep playing it, the quests are overwhelming and don't add anything to the experience, and the supposedly 1 person dungeons are useless, because you need to complete the 5 people dungeons to advance on the quests. While the BAMs and dungeons may be entertaining at the start, they get old quickly and this game was a very bad chore for me that i couldn't complete it. Expand
  13. Aug 13, 2014
    I play this game for some weeks now. Before that i tried PoE and Neverwinter but nothing compares to this.
    Simply amazing combat gameplay. The only thing i miss is the customization of the characters skills.
  14. Jul 31, 2014
    Good things : graphics, combat system, big boss
    less : quests, scenario, leveling up, enemy infiltration

Now that is free it is much better.
    It is all about graphics.

Game play 6/10, graphics 8/10, back ground 5/10, lifetime : 7/10, sound : 7/10, combat system : 7/10
  15. Jun 17, 2014
    Aside from pretty graphics and once original combat system, this game doesn't really have much to offer. The nonexistent storyline is shallow and boring.
  16. Jun 4, 2014
    So yea, my game crashed today at the last few minutes of a 2 hour long instance. I talked the gm's about this and all they told me was that I wasn't present during the last fight hence I will not be rewarded with **** and that my 2 hours of hard work is basically flushed down the toilet. They told me to trouble shoot the problem and I asked what would happen if I trouble shoot it for them.So yea, my game crashed today at the last few minutes of a 2 hour long instance. I talked the gm's about this and all they told me was that I wasn't present during the last fight hence I will not be rewarded with **** and that my 2 hours of hard work is basically flushed down the toilet. They told me to trouble shoot the problem and I asked what would happen if I trouble shoot it for them. Then they started saying how I was abusing their live chat and cut me off the chat. I then relogged asking them why it's so hard to answer one simple question that requires one simple answer. They told me the exact same thing which in other words is telling me to **** off. So yea, if you don't want to risk getting dc'd due to their ****ty servers and not receive the rewards you deserve, don't play this game. Expand
  17. May 21, 2014
    Poorly Optimized. Terrible quest-lines, the only " good " things are the combat mechanics and MAYBE pvp ( if you had more than 15 fps(5 in nexus lol.) ) The game also look terrible, it uses a very ugly bloom to try to make it looks better. The game, to be frank, looks like wow. In 2014. (2012 release date.) It looks like wow, okay. But, the fps are terrible. Changing the resolutionPoorly Optimized. Terrible quest-lines, the only " good " things are the combat mechanics and MAYBE pvp ( if you had more than 15 fps(5 in nexus lol.) ) The game also look terrible, it uses a very ugly bloom to try to make it looks better. The game, to be frank, looks like wow. In 2014. (2012 release date.) It looks like wow, okay. But, the fps are terrible. Changing the resolution doesn't help at all, too. Let's say Tera is beautiful on the outside, but taste terrible in the inside. The (kinda dead) fan base try to yell and protect the game, but it's already been 2 years and the game still looks terrible, there is absolutely no event, all the money goes into upgrading the store and the " Tera Club (Players that pay to get some bonuses) " (actually true.) So, yeah, the game is really dead, they are going to release a new class soon, don't know why, they should try to add endgame content first of all because you're actually really bored in this game at max level unlike others MMORPG. The game looks damn HYPE, but is not.
    There is also some kind of political things going on but it's basically only for PVP and bonuses and idiots spamming the chat (as far as I know. ) And also, the game is so dead right now. It's quite a good thing I think.

TL;DR : The game could be good. But it's a Korean game, and most of them means store over endgame/gameplay/optimization

Peace out.
  18. Apr 29, 2014
    Yes the questing is generic. But so is the questing in most MMOs I've played. The difference here is the world they have created is absolutely jaw dropping. Gorgeous visuals with action combat and cool looking architecture and mobs and I do not mind roaming around killing mobs and turning in quests. This has become my go to MMO. It's F2P.. give it a shot.
  19. Mar 5, 2014
    I've played this competitively + casually from BETA all the way into the Dungeon Assault (Q4 2013) and Alliance patch (Q1 2014). With the recent patches, all PvE Lv60 dungeons are obsolete excluding the latest one.

In terms of PvP, if you're looking for competitive PvP you're definitely not going to get it here. 3 vs 3 Team Queue takes more than 30-60 mins or more if you're not playing in prime-time (solo queue is much worse). Even during prime-time, queue times are roughly 5-15 mins. Alliance PvP is just mass PvP between guilds and other alliances. Except this game is a very poorly optimized PC game. Anything more than 20+ players and even the best computers in this era can't render grey character blobs. This is not due to system performance, it is because the game was poorly constructed.

PvP is surely lacking in every aspect. Arena PvP takes extremely long to queue for. Battleground PvP requires little to no skill. PvE content is extremely stale since you only need to do 1-2 PvE dungeons for all your PvE Gear.

Gearing and raising your item-level for this game at a moderate to fast pace requires either a ton of gold or a lot of real-life money to convert into gold. This game monopolizes your time for very little reward.

If you're a casual then this probably doesn't apply to you. If you're competitive at PvP and PvE and you're not located on the West Coast you will experience over 80-100 ping constantly. This game is no longer subscribe to play, so don't expect good servers. The best server on this game spikes from time to time on its populated days (such as weekends) and they are very unstable. They go up to 100-200, to maybe 300+ if you live on the East Coast. This also applies to Central and Eastern players since server spikes happen to everyone.
  20. Mar 4, 2014
    Great graphics, F2P (REAL F2P!), easy-to-learn combat mode, multiple classes and races with a great customization possibilities. Another MMORPG, yes, but better than others.
  21. Feb 26, 2014
    Pros: FTP, Very Nice Graphics, World Map, Character Movement, PVP, Combat System, Skills, Group Oriented Grinding, Mount, Flying Transport, PVE, BAM (Big Ass Monster).

Cons: Storyline, Same old type of leveling, Can't move during skill's casting time.
  22. Feb 24, 2014
    I have found this game to be very unappealing to say the least. I played about 10 or 12 levels and found the experience repetivie already. Story-wise the game seems very weak. Immersion is almost non-existent. Graphics don't look very well either. It feels generic and cheap. I recognize why other people like TERA and there are few innovations which contribute well to the MMO genre andI have found this game to be very unappealing to say the least. I played about 10 or 12 levels and found the experience repetivie already. Story-wise the game seems very weak. Immersion is almost non-existent. Graphics don't look very well either. It feels generic and cheap. I recognize why other people like TERA and there are few innovations which contribute well to the MMO genre and which should be appretiated. As a whole, this game disappointed me greatly though. Expand
  23. Jan 10, 2014
    I can not help giving this an 8, although I will probably drop by later this year and change it into a 7.
    What is TERA? Combat. Enough said.
    The combat feels fantastic- the animations convey perfectly the sheer weight of a ludicrously large axe or the swiftness of the twin blades. Also, its graphics are so good that, in combination with its combat, every other MMO I see seems subpar.
    What is TERA? Combat. Enough said.

This game has, however, FOUR MAJOR FLAWS:
    1) Generic questing. Tera has amazing combat and it's gonna make you GRIND THE HELL OUT OF IT. It doesn't grow too tedious though, since, with the implementation of the PvP Battlegrounds, you can level up significantly faster. The combat is also hard to master so the grinding helps with that too-- but it's still grindy.

2) Lack of additional activities, save for crafting. In WoW (i'm not a fanboy, in fact i've only played the free trial) you can roleplay, play minigames and heck, go in a pub and get wasted. In Tera RPing is completely up to the players (there are some nice emotes though) and the only thing you can do with your character, however alive he/she may feel, is fight stuffs.

3) Lack of endgame. The journey to lvl 60 is one of the best, and i'd recommend going through it for the sake of the story alone. However once you get to lvl 60, you will do dailies, and grind dungeons to get better gear to (drumroll) grind the same dungeons more easily. Playing on a PvP server can add a feeling of purpose since you can just go around PKing (the action combat ensures it never gets boring) but similarly, other lvl60s are gonna make your life hell until you get leveled and geared up.

4) The company seems to be unraveling. A new class is in the making, which is great. But it's gonna wear leather armor (already 3 classes competing for it in dungeons) and it's the first class that's gonna have a race restriction. "Coincidentally" the lucky race is the one composed of underage-girl-lookalike-ancient-sprites known as Elins (same as the Lyns in Blade and Soul but only females). Given that Elins were always receiving special treatment, this is against the initial promise we were given: "any sex of any race can become any class".

5) Priests are unkillable.
    ...alright I'm kidding :P

I recommend this for the combat, graphics and story.
    But as you're approaching lvl 60, hug a pillow and say your goodbyes, cause that's all this game has to offer.
    Still, the other MMOs are REALLY gonna feel bad: I gave up on Tera during fall, after having played for ~2 years, and since then I can't find another game to get me to love it so much.
    They either look ugly or cartoonish, or the combat is dull as hell. :<
    I wish we see Tera's successor soon :D
  24. Dec 19, 2013
    Tera. Once an MMO with sub fee, today it has been around for awhile as a F2P. How does it fare?

- Free to play Tera’s content is entirely free and at first glance there isn’t much Pay2Win to be found. This feeling lasts until you find out about the existence of Tera Club membership in combination with endgame and the immense grind associated with it. To what extent is Tera free to play

- Free to play
    Tera’s content is entirely free and at first glance there isn’t much Pay2Win to be found. This feeling lasts until you find out about the existence of Tera Club membership in combination with endgame and the immense grind associated with it. To what extent is Tera free to play then? To be precise, it is f2p to the extent you feel you want to grind for stuff. The Club membership will easily cut this time in half with daily reputation, gold and XP bonuses, a free means of teleportation and faster mount. Other things in the store are mostly cosmetic, consumable and temporary bonuses. Tera actually does very well keeping the P2W out, and making the cash shop a shortcut to ‘buy time’. So far, all seems well.

- Gameplay & Mechanics
    The best part of Tera comes to light during combat. Tera’s combat mechanics are interesting, largely skill-based, fast paced and require true aiming and dodging. Especially melee classes are extremely fun to play, while casters feel somewhat slow and sluggish due to cast times and animations. Good players can be separated from the bad by watching their rotations and how they act and move around, which is a great thing. Unfortunately, this mostly shows itself in PvE, as the PvP of Tera is grossly unbalanced and bland because there is no form of matchmaking available; in PvP this results in unbalanced teams where several players possess gear that outclasses everything else, making winning and losing very much the luck of the draw. In PvE, it becomes clear from the first hour playing that you are dealing with a Korean style MMO. Lots of grind, uninteresting narrative, and lots of quests that involve going from A to B and killing X monsters. The good combat mechanics make the grind bearable but levelling is incredibly repetitive. PvE endgame involves dungeons, which is where the nice loot can be found, but there is also a daily event that potentially drops much more loot than can be gained from dungeon runs. There are several tiered sets of gear and weapons, and only by doing the most difficult dungeon can the best ones be obtained. All content before this final dungeon however, is surprisingly easy and not really worth doing as the daily loot event gives better stuff. A missed chance, because this basically means that endgame Tera consists of two or three dungeon runs and a daily event, plus whatever else you would choose to waste time on (because there is no useful reward to it).

- Community
    Tera’s community is one typical of MMO’s, not surprisingly harsh or surprisingly friendly. There are many established guilds, but the transition to F2P and the changes it has brought, are gradually but surely destroying the community. One major flaw in the game is that essential items to upgrade best-in-slot gear pieces have been phased out of the normal economy and are actually now only scarcely available. This is where Tera has gone horribly wrong. EnMasse, the publisher of Tera in the U.S., is doing a far better job at managing the game’s economy than its European counterpart (GameForge). Customer support from Gameforge is horrible at best, and after playing for a year I can safely say the situation will not ever change. Gameforge is in fact the largest issue Tera EU has, as it is a company with no interest whatsoever in what the community thinks, wants and needs. In the past year, many decisions that have proven detrimental to the game have been pushed through and the effects are still felt to this day. For example, if you are not sinking all of your time (and cash!) into this game, do not ever expect to get to the highest gear tiers. And for a game like Tera with limited end game content, this is deadly.

Conclusion: Tera is a great pick up to experience and play a few classes, as it has a refreshing take on combat, fun, varied classes and smooth gameplay. Other than that, Tera is an MMO lacking in many aspects for which almost all credit goes to the publisher Gameforge for crippling the endgame economy. With the latest content update (which adds a whole new gear tier), things may change, but given the publishers stance on things in the past, I have little hope. The game world is full of great potential places to explore and grind, but Gameforge has stripped the loot tables to push essential stuff to paid alternatives and most places you visit are a time sink and nothing else. One big piece of advice would be, if you play, don’t sink too much money in it too early, because there is a fair chance you’ll find it was not worth it.

Graphics: 7/10 Good visuals, nice art, but very poorly optimized
    Sound: 6/10 Nothing special
    Gameplay: 9/10 Great combat mechanics, almost make you forget the endlessness of the grind
    Community/Publisher: 5/10 Gameforge needs to do a much better job satisfying the community, EnMasse (NA) is doing a far better job. If you play this, consider NA servers
  25. Nov 28, 2013
    I will put the game as simple as it is if you are hesitating, and sorry for the long text but you will understand all there is to understand (and please dont read the negative coments, they are incorrect in SOME aspects):
    Im writing this review as a not so fan of mmorpgs that found this one quite nice, btw i dont know that mutch about mmorpgs, im the kind of guy that gets to lvl 20 or 30 and gives up xp

GOOD STUFF:

- The fighting style is really cool, you wont have that kind of mmorpg where you click on the mouse and eat popcorn while your char kills....POINT 1 for exceptionality xp

- Sure you get to kill stupid creatures like trees that look like ents from the LoTR or pigs and hogs and stuff like that but you get to kill badass-looking monsters that seem like dungeon boss WAY more often than in any other mmorpg...POINT 2 xp

- The graphics are godlike, no joke, its the main reason for me to be still playing this, you get such details that seem just like a ps3 game, part of the game is to enjoy the view xD and the cutscenes are equaly good...HERES another point to separate this game from the other free games in the genre.

- Good comunity, i get help almost every time i ask for it, and its good to have that in a game where there are alot of huge creatures to kill in the game....once again im not refering to dungeons ..this part isnt that exceptional but its allways good to know :)

-The game has a game inside it, basically its a mix of League of Legends with raid with strategy with mmo, kinda confusing, didnt see it well yet, but seems really promising and the prizes are nice, this way TERA players can switch games without switching the games...hope you understood xp

-The game is relatively recent, and that means it will only get better, with new stuff, for example the game i refered top and the pet sistem that they implemented....not sure now when it was :(

-Unless you do teleports or pass through portals, you wont have any loading screens...to travel through the HUGE world of TERA you get a ride from a pegasus or a dragon and while it flies you can enjoy the view of the surroundings or check inventory or etc...the game never stops xD

BAD STUFF

-Poor story and Quests kinda standard, you wont find a huge diversity, its the standard "kill that"..."grab those"..."give this message to these guys that are 1 inch away from me"...(good part is the monsters u kill sometimes are really nice-looking ones, and in this boring part enters the very amusing fighting sistem)

-The character customization is kinda bad, you dont have many diferent items or weapons, you cant be a berserker and NOT have an axe, you start with a class and thats the class you get....you cant be very creative in the approach you give to the char, no skill points, a lancer will allways be a hard tank, an archer will be a dps.... stuff like that

- Lack of a good or even nice pet sistem, and that is something bad, if they where to implement a pet sistem like for example rappelz or even WoW that combined with the super graphics would be AWESOME xp

Possibly i didnt focus all the aspects, goods or bads, but with this you get a good idea of the game
  26. Nov 2, 2013
    Don't listen to the 10/10 glowing reviews, because they are all fake, and they conveniently leave out fatal drawbacks of Tera.

Here is a REAL Review, from an actual player: Pros: Graphics and FPS-style combat. Cons: MAJOR game-breaking bugs (reported over 50 of them so far, and this game has been out for 3 years?)! HUGE design flaws such as: Can't even enter or exit

Here is a REAL Review, from an actual player:

Pros:

Graphics and FPS-style combat.

Cons:

HUGE design flaws such as:

Can't even enter or exit through doors of your own team's castle in PvP battlegrounds

Teleporter menus in cities are TEXT-ONLY rather than a VISUAL MAP

Quests are completely redundant and have little or no creative process involved (e.g. same quest, different monster)

Quest List is very cluttered

Quest objectives do NOT automatically show up on the map (e.g. you have to open each one manually, and find the objective, activate the link, and THEN it shows up... redundant? Lazy programmers? Yes!)

Opening up the map does not show the current zone you're in, rather it is completely ZOOMED OUT (again, lazy programming)

Mini-map radar in the upper right has no terrain on it, and it is completely dark, has some dots every now and then... is this a joke? (no, it's lazy programming)

Lots of repetitive spell animations (i.e. they use mostly generic circles for every single caster AoE spell)

No AFK command (can you believe this? I was laughing when I first found out)

While riding a horse you CANNOT dismount by casting a spell or ability; the ONLY way you can dismount is by using the "summon horse" ability again (e.g. imagine how annoying this gets after a while, you just want to jump right into something with a spell, bam, but you can't, because you have to de-summon the horse first instead of allowing you to de-summon it by simply casting any other spell like every other MMO does... lazy programming yet again)

When you disconnect from the game while in a dungeon, and you are kicked while offline, you still receive a 15 minute debuff that does not allow you to use dungeon or battleground matching system again; even if you were already in there for 15 minutes

You lose all your spells and abilities from your hotkey bar after you finish a Battleground match if you're still inside of a siege tank or tower gun (this bug has been around for over a year apparently, still NOT fixed)

There are NO MAILBOXES in this game, you must go through an NPC, which holds both Bank and Mailbox options, and the Mailbox option is labeled as "PARCEL POST" (Seriously? You couldn't even just make a simple mailbox?)

When you die in this game, your base health upon resurrection is dramatically reduced due to low "stamina," and the only way to get it back is either drink an expensive potion, or stand by a campfire for 5 minutes (do you really, honestly, truly, want to stand by a campfire for 5 minutes in the middle of your dungeon run?)

Another note on dying: If you "release" or "resurrect" while inside of a dungeon, it will revive you at the nearest town, all the way outside of the dungeon, and typically it would take you 5-10 minutes just to get back to the dungeon (unless of course you have a lot of money and pay for teleport scrolls, which most people do not have... do you really want to waste 5 minutes by a campfire AND 5-10 minutes running back to the dungeon?)

Dungeon bosses have absolutely no diverse range of mechanics; it's all tank and spank, and the tank can't even hold aggro half the time (I guess that makes it a little more exciting at least? Until you die of course, then you have the 5 minute campfire or 5-10 minutes of running back)

More on Dungeons: There are VERY FEW of them, and you have to wait until level 20 (only 60 levels max in this game just so you know) before you can try your FIRST dungeon. Also, there are GAP periods between some dungeons, where you will be unable to queue up to the instance dungeon matching system (i.e. at level 32-35), so that is yet again another period you will be forced to either manually find a group, or go back to redundant questing

Very Low Population: This is probably the biggest drawback, despite all of the design flaws and horrendous bugs, because without other players, you can't even form groups to do anything, so you will often be stuck waiting even during the middle of the day to find a group for a dungeon, or go back to redundant questing

Massive Server Lag due to lack of consistent maintenance (delay of up to about 10 seconds for chat messages at times) I will update this list in the near future, but this is what I have so far at nearly maximum level. Overall: This game's development team is shamefully lazy, and you should invest your valuable time elsewhere.
  27. Oct 13, 2013
    Used to be a huge fan of the game, and paid for membership for many months. Unfortunately, the past few weeks have been a disaster. More than half of the people who used to play have completely disappeared, and the population of the game has dwindled into a small niche market. The game is worth a go in the beginning, but don't expect to be playing much longer once your reach the level cap.Used to be a huge fan of the game, and paid for membership for many months. Unfortunately, the past few weeks have been a disaster. More than half of the people who used to play have completely disappeared, and the population of the game has dwindled into a small niche market. The game is worth a go in the beginning, but don't expect to be playing much longer once your reach the level cap. I wish this game the very best, but as far as I'm concerned, there are better games out there which doesn't push out its core users. Expand
  28. Sep 30, 2013
    Honestly all this game has going for it is the combat system. It was well done, but everything else is pretty bad. The game itself deserves maybe a 6, but the player base and gear progression bumps it down to a 3. The entire economy runs on novelty items bought with real money. The problem is that nearly all high end gear can be purchased from other players for in-game currency. BecauseHonestly all this game has going for it is the combat system. It was well done, but everything else is pretty bad. The game itself deserves maybe a 6, but the player base and gear progression bumps it down to a 3. The entire economy runs on novelty items bought with real money. The problem is that nearly all high end gear can be purchased from other players for in-game currency. Because many players buy novelty junk for real money to sell it in game, it inflates prices of gear to ridiculous levels that you can only really make from real money novelty stuff. You would think that isn't a big deal since you can just farm the items you need yourself... but you would be wrong. Trying to find a group for anything in end game is extremely difficult if you actually still need items from that instance. The players just will not invite you to an instance that drops t14 unless you are full t14. So the progression system is basically buy items from broker, run content you don't need items from simply to sell on broker, use that money to buy better stuff, etc. Really stupid. The content is also lacking, its all 5-man and no content has been released in a long time. Expand
  29. Sep 24, 2013
    Boob women galore. WoW clone. Free. Nice graphics. Action combat it's ok. Craft system terrible. Everything else status quo. I need 150 characters but there isnt much else to say. Did I mention boob women?
  30. Sep 18, 2013
    Good combat, 0 depth, dying community and low population, terrible class balance. This is a language port from Korea. I played for awhile before it went F2P. Not worth a 2nd look.
  31. Sep 18, 2013
    I enjoyed Tera for the combat. The problem with it is it's a mass of constant mobs. It gets dull quickly (which is a shame). If the game was as much fun as the combat, I'd still be playing it. I do wish Tera well but there are some big guns to beat if it wants to stay in the running.
  32. Aug 24, 2013
    Hi guys, well just a brief comment on this game called TERA NA/EU. We've spent like a year playing this game we loved the environment but got bored of how each classes fight mobs and pvp with each player but its really quite good for an F2P game and we really got hooked up in buying items in the online store but recently it just keeps getting annoying since the only new stuffs around theHi guys, well just a brief comment on this game called TERA NA/EU. We've spent like a year playing this game we loved the environment but got bored of how each classes fight mobs and pvp with each player but its really quite good for an F2P game and we really got hooked up in buying items in the online store but recently it just keeps getting annoying since the only new stuffs around the store are just costumes that doesnt even provide any additional STAT. Well recently another horrible event just happened after we've waited for the new patch in this game "The Support Team/Admins" just randomly banned people from playing it even some of us who stays in Europe and US so most of my guildies got banned without any further explainations on How and Why it happened even the noob guys from our guild who was just starting to play it got banned lol. So if you guys VALUE your TIME and MONEY "PLS AVOID ANY GAMES FROM THIS COMPANY" Expand
  33. Jul 25, 2013
    I really dislike this game. I tried playing it some times, but every time I exited it after 20, 30 minutes because it's... uh... boring. Yeah, this game is really boring. Compare TERA to WoW. WoW is like basement for every new MMO, because everyone can see that TERA brought many ideas from WoW. Next thing is gameplay. On early levels it's, like I said before, boring. I can't tell you aboutI really dislike this game. I tried playing it some times, but every time I exited it after 20, 30 minutes because it's... uh... boring. Yeah, this game is really boring. Compare TERA to WoW. WoW is like basement for every new MMO, because everyone can see that TERA brought many ideas from WoW. Next thing is gameplay. On early levels it's, like I said before, boring. I can't tell you about higher levels, because I didn't have desire to play this game more. Now some pros: amazing graphic and sound design, cool characters and classes. Amazing, but how it will improve boring gameplay? By some way sure, but I didn't feel like it does something. Oh, one more thing. Poorly made quests aren't something special (kill X monsters, bring X items from monsters, talk to X npc, kill [name of boss] Expand
  34. Jul 23, 2013
    My review is probably going to sound like many others. Here's the tl;dr version: Combat is great, but the rest of the game is mediocre.

I played as a sorcerer in the Korean/Japanese beta tests, and I was slightly underwhelmed by the combat system that everyone seemed to love. For the North American release of the game I decided to go with Warrior, and it was a night and day difference. Combat was much more involved and skill-based, especially where BAMs are concerned. Tanking was especially fun and fulfilling.

Another praise-worthy aspect of this game is the graphics. It's easily the best-looking MMO out there. Some of the environments are jaw-droppingly awesome. There was a small issue with view distance and object pop-in, but I can overlook that. Music is good, but no tracks stand out in particular. The English voice acting on the other hand is terrible. Super terrible. Cringe-worthy even.

So we have awesome combat and superb graphics... what else is there? Not much unfortunately. Questing is as generic as it gets, from level 1 all the way to level 60. Do a few kill/collection quests at one hub, move to the next, rinse and repeat infinitely. Soloing BAM quests was fun at first, but the novelty wore off quickly and they just became tedious. Dungeons are decent, especially toward the end-game. Some of the bosses are pretty challenging. I didn't do any hard mode dungeons, but I imagine they're VERY challenging. That's a good thing.

As for end-game... there isn't a whole lot. A number of 5-man dungeons and their hardmode counterparts as well as a completely broken world raid component called the Nexus. I say broken for a couple reasons. One reason is that you barely have to do anything to get credit. You hit a monster once and then you can literally just stand there doing nothing. The other reason is that due to the sheer number of players participating FPS rarely goes above 10... even with graphical settings on the lowest preset.

The last thing I'll talk about is Enchanting. Enchanting is the reason I'm through with this game. It's the most frustrating mechanic I've seen in an MMO. I don't mind long, hard grinds. I don't mind ridiculous gold sinks. Enchanting is both of these, but what makes it unfun is the fact that your time and money can result in absolutely nothing due to the chance of failure. Each time you upgrade your armor/weapon, the chance for failure for the next level increases. Toward the max level of your item, the chance for failure is ridiculously high. If they removed the chance of failure and just increased the time/money needed for each level I'd be fine with it. There's nothing more frustrating than grinding for hours for the gold/items needed for enchanting only to have 10 failures in a row. I'd probably be more willing to endure it if there was something greater than 5-mans to work toward.

In conclusion, this game was a fun distraction, but the end-game just isn't there.
  35. Jul 22, 2013
    I've played Tera off and on since before its release. Overall I think it's an enjoyable, well done MMO. The graphics are great and the dungeons are generally fun. Leveling is difficult because the vast majority of the quests are repetitive, but doing it with a friend or two can mitigate some of the boredom. The game is F2P, very unintrusive, and you can literally get all the way throughI've played Tera off and on since before its release. Overall I think it's an enjoyable, well done MMO. The graphics are great and the dungeons are generally fun. Leveling is difficult because the vast majority of the quests are repetitive, but doing it with a friend or two can mitigate some of the boredom. The game is F2P, very unintrusive, and you can literally get all the way through without spending a penny.

My only major complaint is that the random enchanting system is sadistic. You can spend many times more than you make on materials (which are destroyed whether successful or not) in the process of enchanting your gear. If you're completely devoid of social life and can grind out lots of high level gear to use as fodder then you can save some gold. But if you're a normal person, well, the thousandth time you've seen your valuable gear go up in smoke trying to move one enchant level is rage inducing. And, of course, if your gear isn't masterworked and enchanted to the highest level, your ability to compete is restricted.

Overall very fun. But when you hit end game, if you're like my friends and I, you're wondering what there is left to do unless you're willing to dedicate your life to perfecting the gear you own.
  36. Jul 20, 2013
    The game itself offers a great combat system and graphic, unfortunately the game is way too repetitive. The monster looks the same (sometimes only with different colour or type of armour). End game is very limited to its core. The character design is a little bit extreme for some people.
  37. Jul 18, 2013
    The makers of this game discriminate against people, they have indirectly stated that they refuse to let anyone outside of the US or EU play their game because we are terrorists and hackers.

From the makers of Tera: "En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, and the Middle East are included on the block list. While we appreciate that there are players in these regions

From the makers of Tera:

"En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, and the Middle East are included on the block list. While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of Internet traffic we see from these regions are from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior."
  38. Jun 22, 2013
    TLDR: If you like pvp, content updates, or balance, avoid Tera.

Tera is in many ways attempting to be creative and innovative, but falls flat in the most basic of expectations. The levelling process follows the standard set by World of Warcraft. Killing x mobs, gathering y flowers, and wandering from quest hub to quest hub. Every now and then the quest path leads to a 5 man dungeon
    TLDR: If you like pvp, content updates, or balance, avoid Tera.

The levelling process follows the standard set by World of Warcraft. Killing x mobs, gathering y flowers, and wandering from quest hub to quest hub. Every now and then the quest path leads to a 5 man dungeon where the standard tank/healer/damage dealer trinity is required.
    As levels increase, the process gets slower, and the final step from 59 to 60 is time consuming and tedious.

Once at 60, the endgame is composed of more 5 man dungeons, a few larger raid instances, and a single battleground where players can group up and face an opposing team in a control based scenario. All in all, it is similar, though perhaps slightly more frugal, to most MMOs in the ARPG genre.

The game does however fail to deliver at even the most basic level in four distinct areas.

The Economy
    Never before have I encountered a game where playing the market was absolutely necessary. Progress through the game is measured in gold. Enchanting your equipment to competitive levels requires jawbreaking levels of gold in your piggybank, and acquiring those weapons in the first place is easiest with gold as well (as few weapons are bind on pickup). Acquiring even a small portion of the materials required yourself will take a long time, and requires the assistance of a team.
    This approach is the direct opposite of how most MMOs do it, and it ruins any sense of progression or respect for that progression.

Balance and content updates
    The european version of Tera receives very few updates, and most of these only deal with specials and price cuts in the TERA shop, a place where players can spend real money on ingame items.
    No balance changes have been applied, meaning that the state of balance in the game is unaltered. The player classes that perform at a superior level will continue to do so, and the player classes that do not perform sufficiently will continue to underperform. This creates a notably lopsided diversity, as the dedicated players continue to reroll to the functional classes. Notably, this phenomenon can be perceived in high-performance battleground teams, where only specific classes are represented. This is a direct result of the balance, and the certitude that changes will not be coming. This means that unless you picked the right class (or rerolled to one), prepare to be fodder.

Gear based performance
    No matter how good you are, gear is more important. Never before have I encountered a game where gear accounts for such a massive amount of your performance. The difference between the damage of an ilvl145 and ilvl155 geared character can be as large as 20x in a pvp setting. That means that you have to hit your opponent 20(!) times more to achieve the effect your opponent will have with only one. As a result, unless you are at the gear top, prepare to die in one hit, and die often.

Player vs Player
    While I have mentioned the issue of class balance, the topic of PvP deserves its own section.
    The basic layout is very simple, with classes receiving rather few talents and abilities, resulting in linear and predictable combat. There are plenty of stuns and knockdowns, and these usually last longer than the average life expectancy. Thus, if you do get stunned or knocked down, expect to die. As a result, surefire stuns can be used in lieu of skill to quickly and efficiently kill opponents, even if you only have the most rudimentary knowledge of gameplay.
    There is no way out of stuns or roots, meaning that once affected, you will suffer the duration with no opportunity for counterplay. There is also no version of diminishing returns to reduce the duration of incapacitation, meaning that stacking long duration aoe stun classes (such as warriors) allows for a stunlock that never ends on multiple opponents.
    This absolute over abundance of stuns, roots, and knockdowns ruins any form of tactical player combat.

Conclusion
    Tera has some interesting aspects, such as the action element incorporated into the standard RPG formula. The graphics are pleasant, and if one can oversee the childish art style of weaponry and enemies, quite innovative.
    So why score the game a 2?
    While there are some good aspects to the game, the abyssal failures outlined above intrude upon the gameplay to such an extent as to make it unplayable, destroying whatever parts of the game that can be enjoyed.
    PvP is horrible. Playing the market is a superior alternative to actually playing the game. There is no hope for balance. Without toplevel gear, you are a liability at best.
  39. Apr 29, 2013
    Combat is excellent and is the defining feature of this game, the F2P is also great and doesn't nickle and dime you, but the questing will simply bore you to death. 95% of the quests consist of "kill x" with maybe 4.5% of the remainder "collect x" quests. Got bored of it pretty quickly after getting an archer to 28. However, the game does offer a challenge via dungeons and BAMs (Big A$$Combat is excellent and is the defining feature of this game, the F2P is also great and doesn't nickle and dime you, but the questing will simply bore you to death. 95% of the quests consist of "kill x" with maybe 4.5% of the remainder "collect x" quests. Got bored of it pretty quickly after getting an archer to 28. However, the game does offer a challenge via dungeons and BAMs (Big A$$ Monsters) so for the price of 0, it is worth a try. Expand
  40. Apr 10, 2013
    For a FTP MMORPG The game is very beautiful and has alot too do, Given like most it has it's grind but that is just a mmo in general, anyone trying to decide if they should try it or not, go for it you got nothing too lose anyways it is a very fun game with a nice refreshing combat system and much more to offer.
  41. Apr 5, 2013
    I see 10's and 9's in the review column and I wonder why???! Seriously this game isn't that great. After playing this game and playing Blade and Soul (Yes I have a KSSN so I can get in) Blade and Soul far out does this game. In fact as long as Blade and Soul has been in development a small part of me tells me TERA stole the concept from them and rushed this game out to cash-in. Enough biasI see 10's and 9's in the review column and I wonder why???! Seriously this game isn't that great. After playing this game and playing Blade and Soul (Yes I have a KSSN so I can get in) Blade and Soul far out does this game. In fact as long as Blade and Soul has been in development a small part of me tells me TERA stole the concept from them and rushed this game out to cash-in. Enough bias hate though lets move on. First of all I must absolutely say that this games visuals and graphics are AMAZING! Holy s*** I can never get over it! It is a true wonder to see on my monitor. I couldn't get over all the details in it. That does however bring me to optimization of the game. Seriously this game makes my amazing computer look as good a damn potato as I can only get 20 to 40 FPS unless I turn off the UI which it then spikes to 80 FPS. Funnier thing of it all is when I turned the graphics to minimum it was still at 20 to 40.... wtf? No change in FPS at all?! So it obviously wasn't my computer just horrible programming. Story in this game is just... awful. I played the Korean version and I can tell you the story you see in the US version is absolute rubbish and fan made. It is non-canon garbage! The characters will never stick with you... you won't remember anyone for more than a day or two as they phase out to the sidelines. The voice acting is terrible. For the Federation? Lol no. Yet another fan addition like thing to this game. Not even 2 days in did I try and port in the Japanese Voices with the great NOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRIOOOOOOOO (Norio) in it. The combat of this game feels like WoW only without the auto target system. Don't hate me for that statement I know it shouldn't be thrown in there but face rolling 1~12 automatically lands in there for me. Although the nice part is the fact you can now run around and dodge the attacks yourself so that defiantly made up a bit for it. As I was playing this I found the challenge to be non existent... seriously 1~50 was a solo run. It was so bring that I was playing an MMO only to solo 90% of it. At the time I was playing this game they had only recently added one PvP aspect to the game (aside from being on a PvP server) and that was battlegrounds and I gotta say this in my final statement how it sums up the entire end game as soon as you reach the end. MASSIVE F***ING GAMBLING! HOLY S*** NEVER HAVE I SEEN SO MUCH RNG (Random Number Generation) IN ONE GAME THAT I ALMOST WENT BLIND! So not only do you have to upgrade your weapon to +9 (which is pretty hard btw) you have to unlock your weapon to masterwork level and you have to reidentify the weapon constantly to get good stats on it. This is the end game. Right there. You grind constantly (I did for 2 months) to try and get all your weapons and armor to Masterwork level with the proper stats and the high number. After 2 months of Grind I only got up to +5 and the best I could get for stats was 2/4 of the things. Yes it is that bad! That's when I quit. If not you cannot succeed in the RNG upgrades then you will not succeed in PvP or PvE. IT IS PART OF THE PVE PROGRESSION! THIS BROKE THE GAME FOR ME! No way was I staying here with a game so heavily dependent on luck. All your skill in PvP don't mean squat when someone with +12 armor/weapon comes along and 2 shots your +5 armor/weapon character. It is pretty much those who grind the most win. This game was a 6/10 but due to the end game being so awful it falls all the way down to a 4/10. if you don't like massive RNG then don't play this game. The forums were swarmed with complaints about this but the mods have cracked down and will not allow people to talk about how awful it is now. Pretty much covering up such awful end gameplay. I'd avoid this game unless you have nothing better to do. Expand
  42. Mar 28, 2013
    The first MMORPG to get me addicted since Ragnarok Online (pre trans class) and WoW vanilla! And it is even free to play NO pay to win here! now! No reason not to try it!
  43. Mar 5, 2013
    Its so fun go out and fight in this great game. But what some do so I really like this game is all the nice bOObs ;D I hope that comes more games like this
  44. Feb 28, 2013
    Tera boasts a unique combat system that they say has never been done before, but that's not true. Vindictus, C9, Dragon's Nest, Mabinogi, and RYL2 all have similar combat systems and I'm sure I'm missing many more that have combat that includes an aiming receptacle, the ability to block, directional attacks, and a combo system. The problem is not that they aren't the first to do it, butTera boasts a unique combat system that they say has never been done before, but that's not true. Vindictus, C9, Dragon's Nest, Mabinogi, and RYL2 all have similar combat systems and I'm sure I'm missing many more that have combat that includes an aiming receptacle, the ability to block, directional attacks, and a combo system. The problem is not that they aren't the first to do it, but that they didn't do it as well. Tera pales in comparison to Vindictus, C9, and Dragon's Nest. I felt like it was more on par with Mabinogi, an ancient game by today's standards, because of the stilted movement and awkward transitions. Every time you execute a skill, you stop moving. When you want to go from one skill to the next, there is often a half-second hesitation before execution. Thus, what is supposed to be a twitch-based system ends up being a more traditional MMO style experience where you button spam a mob while awkwardly kiting or blocking well ahead of time. Compare that to Vindictus's combat which is totally fluid and gives you complete control over your movement, which is required, because each mob has their own pattern of attack that can't be skirted by simply circle-kiting. Tera was appealing to many people because it does feature an open world. A very empty open world. People don't party in the fields, it seems everybody is in the instances, where you have queues! Queues that can only be made shorter if you pay $15 a month to play. In addition to the monthly fee, they also have a cash shop where prices are exorbitant. I am not a fan of $16 dollar mounts and $5 a pop for a single character slot. You might make up for all this with an interesting story, but questing is abysmal. They are your standard fetch quests with very little else going for them. There is no story worth paying attention to in this game. Your character is a hollow shell, the ultimate yes-man, who repeats the same phrases over and over in quest dialog (For the federation! etc.) I think the biggest flaw is that you cannot win against a boss mob solo. This is unthinkable for a twitch-based game. Anything should be possible if it is truly based on skill and timing, not on gear or level. But boss mobs get lock-on-target skills that will simply one-hit you. You have no way to dodge them or escape their range. Even the most crazy, high-level boss in Vindictus has been soloed by someone. It might've taken 100 hours of their life to learn how to do it, and time to completion may be beyond what any normal person would ever think of as reasonable, but it's been done. In this world, class and gear have too much impact on your playability, just like your standard MMO. This is not really a true twitch MMO. Expand
  45. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    Decent game which now is free to play. Graphics are good -GW2 has better tho-, combat is ok but gets repetitive and thats it. Main problems No depth and no character. Nothing more to offer than lots of games out there today and lacks a lot of what those games offer. Still, i d play it since its f2p and if you dont expect too much you ll have a good time.
  46. Feb 20, 2013
    I got Tera (European Version) after hearing it had gone Free To Play. And I am immediately met with a problem. The download of the game itself. It took 24 hours just to download the game. After a horrible wait for that download I felt like I was owed. I start playing and am having great fun, then I have to go out for a bit. I come back early just to play more of the game. However, thereI got Tera (European Version) after hearing it had gone Free To Play. And I am immediately met with a problem. The download of the game itself. It took 24 hours just to download the game. After a horrible wait for that download I felt like I was owed. I start playing and am having great fun, then I have to go out for a bit. I come back early just to play more of the game. However, there are now server queues, after an hour of waiting, I give up and hope they are fixed soon. But that doesn't happen. I then decided it would be better to ditch my character (It was only Level 9 anyway) and start fresh. This seriously annoyed me. GameForge have provided horrible support, which is sad because this game was amazing. But I am reviewing the game, not the service. The game is amazing fun to play. A lot of complaints have been about the quests, but I actually find the quests quite fun to do. The action is incredible. I haven't even seen all the game has to offer yet, but am really looking forward to it. Tera may have it's problems. But if you are willing to endure those issues, you're in for an amazing experience Expand
  47. Feb 18, 2013
    I never gave Tera the time when it was released on subscription (played about 4 hours) but recently went back now it is F2P to see what had changed and have been impressed.
    Playing on the EU servers with a Warrior (aka rogue!) and I am enjoying the combat. In the starter island there is a good amount of running around but once you hit the mainline you get a horse and things improve.
    Still need to understand all the ins and outs of the game but combat and graphics have never been so good in an MMO.

One thing, the server/client lag in the cities can be bad at times (and even in the world areas) which is the biggest downside of the game so far.

Definitely worth a try.
  48. Feb 15, 2013
    This game is NOT good past end game. When you first start playing it, you will think it's AMAZING, until you finish the game.
    It's fun for temporary play up until 60, but post 60 it's a fest of what the should I do next? It's a run of the mill MMO with kill x monsters, bring back to npc quests, travel to a new location ordeal. It's a huge grind fest where you spend all your time trying to get gear (without it, you're useless) and then they re-update the gear making you get all brand NEW gear. The enchantment system in this game SUCKS. Grouping up sucks. You have to be doing the exact same quests to get any decent EXP in the game, and trust me, people aren't doing the exact same quests. You're likely to solo this entire game.

This game is fun for the first 3 months. After that you'll be looking for something new.
  49. Feb 15, 2013
    Very round up graphics, huge maps and an easy-in first set of quests. I personally love the character customization options and the fine details they've put in.
    Just, please, remove the Prologue all along. It almost ruined my first experience and impression of the game.
  50. Feb 7, 2013
    I ve played many MMO and Tera is the one to propose a gameplay that dynamic. It still be a Kr game with a bash system which can be boring in the end.

Graphisms are wonderfull, caracters too. If you re looking a cool MMO today to past few hours in true action so get this game. And today it's free to play
  51. Feb 6, 2013
    Recently this game went free to play, but I couldn't try it earlier due to the fact that I can't really put more money for more than one subscription (still playing WoW with friends). I've been playing it for a month, playing with the unlimited trial, but eventually the game made me buy a copy before the free-to-play release in order to get some bonuses, and it was worth it! The game isn'tRecently this game went free to play, but I couldn't try it earlier due to the fact that I can't really put more money for more than one subscription (still playing WoW with friends). I've been playing it for a month, playing with the unlimited trial, but eventually the game made me buy a copy before the free-to-play release in order to get some bonuses, and it was worth it! The game isn't perfect of course but, in all honesty, it deserved much more than it ddoes: the system works, it's pretty fun and, like I said, very different than usual. The classes are pretty varied and only downside is that their restricted to one weapon, but I personally found that to be a good detail actually (it limits steals within a dungeon team, since weapons are class restricted). Also, the races have no limitations in classes and I found that to be a BIG positive remark, since it gives you a lot of combinations and there's no real con or pro: every class-race combination works greatly and gives you a huge variation for your characters. The graphics are very good...on the characters and monsters, while the areas and some places seems lacking details and have bland textures (although some cities and areas ARE gorgeous). On the other hand, the characters, the npcs, the monsters are greatly animated, greatly detailed and I was amazed how the graphics were. Of course, some characters (the females) may have some..."particular" detailing on them...and I'm personally not bothered that much; I do like when games attempt to be brave by having some revealing female characters, without mentioning that the males too are exagerated in both their body mass and their armors (some are revealing, some are massively big). For the rest, I do have some complains: firstly, I hated that there's NO vendor outside the villages or main cities, and if you're filled with trash to sell, you're basically forced to go back (either on foot, horse, or using a scroll if you're lucky) and sell your stuff. At least you can teleport to the nearest post. The enemies aren't hard to defeat...but if you aggro some by going nearby, 2 are the possibilities: 1) you get hit and you'll be in combat stance, with your weapons out, and your movement will be slower until you defeat your enemies or run away (hard to do). 2) you run away for a good amount of time..only to find them right behind you and forcing you to beat them go out of combat stance. This is SO annoying on so many levels because the enemies will almost never let you go and they can follow you almost for more than 1 minute (I even had fun running around with a mob following me around a fireplace...for five minutes straight! And he wouldn't leave!). At leas the enemies are slow, but sure are persistent. And for last...the quests. I read a lot of reviews mentioning that among their complains, was the the questing due to the lack of originality and boredom. I have one thing to say: it is true...but why only TERA gets the blame? I haven't played tons of mmorpgs, but in more than one I've had boring quests, yet nobody mentions that little factoid, and I'm talking of games like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Aion, The Secret World, and many other small games with the same kind of quests. Also in TERA the questing can be boring, but personally for the wrong reasons: my feeling was that most of these quests weren't that "great" and could have used more "challenges" too. Infact, the best quests were the group ones, because those big monsters were fun to fight and killing one takes a little more time than usual. Yet again, not the best quests ever, but I don't see much reasons of blaming the game while we have many other titles with the same issues that nobody ever mentions, and I'm the type of player who enjoys questing, so I may have a word about it!. And for last, the Free-to-Play limitations. I have bought the veteran status weeks before the free-to-play launch and with that purchase I got more bonuses (no char limit, more bank slot) so I can't judge the limitations properly. But here's what I think: the 2 character limitation IS a big flaw because of the variety of classes and races...but it was expected. However, the price for an additional slot is just too high at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if people are annoyed by the price (about 30 euros for ONE slot). You have one bank slot as a f2p player...but the slot alone (about 72 spaces) is very big and I'm still using one (and I'm level 40). Also here however the price is high and not sure if worth it. Other limitations aren't very big so far (less "auction house" actions, a limited amount of gold sent, and few others), and that's surprising considering the game is actually big and, except for some other details, the game doesn't limit much else (unlike SWTOR). All in all, it's a good game and now that's a f2p with not too many limits, everyone can give it a shot and enjoy it, because I personally think the game deserved some more praise than it did. Expand
  52. Feb 2, 2013
    Tera has beautiful Graphics and a great Combat System It´s much better then Guild Wars 2 !
    And in February it will be "Free to Play" with a Cash Shop but it will not be "Pay to Win"
  53. Jan 23, 2013
    Innovative, Safe, and Mundane.... all at the same time

Innovative, Safe, and Mundane.... all at the same time

I know its hard to lump all 3 of those words into the same category but with Tera, you can. I'll tell you what's innovative about it and I am sure this comes as no surprise, the combat . I am sure you have heard all about the combat in Tera and it is definitely lived up to its reputation. It's fun, engaging, fast and furious! It's nice to play an MMO where the combat is measured with skill, and not just... who has the better skill bar. The combat is one of Tera's biggest draws for sure. The other big draw... is its graphics. Everything from the world, character models, animations, and effects have been truly realized in this fantasy setting. From the moment you step onto the island of dawn, you will be blown away by the colourful world that lay before you. The artists did an excellent job putting detail in just about everything you look at.

But how does the game play out? Well...it plays out like a great 3rd person action game would. So far, I haven't really found any flaws in how the game feels. It seems the developers put a lot of time into ironing out any game play bugs and flaws. It's a very fluent, quick, responsive game and plays surprisingly well with an xbox 360 or PS3 controller. It almost feels like this game would have been the perfect match for a console MMO (and it almost feels like they had that in mind during development).

Also its worth noting that the character creation and class selection is a very exciting process. The amount of choices for character creation and class selection is exceptional. They include just about every major class from the fantasy realm and include a few fresh ideas. Every class has its defined role... i.e. the Warrior is a fast, agile class that deals damage at a higher rate of attack, thus making it a front line DPS fighter...but, your not "limited" per say to that role. If you do want to venture out and play a different role with your character, you can, its just might be more challenging then sticking to the pre-defined role. It comes down to how you control your character during combat that defines your role. Once again, its actual player skills that counts.

So I got the positives out of the way, now for some of the negatives...and when I say negatives, I mean major flaws. I am just going to come out and say it...the questing is absolutely TERRIBLE!!! (or Terable..hehe..I just had to do it). It's like the game directors gave the story and quest department some time off. The quests are the most unimaginative, boring, and mundane quests I've ever encountered in any MMO. They are the generic "kill X amount of this monster and come back to me", or "talk to so and so, then come back to me"...but done in the most boring fashion ever! There's not even voice over dialogue to keep you entertained (not even with the main story quest givers!!). IMO, the whole fetch quest system (in any game now a days) is in a desperate need of a face lift...or elimated from MMO's all together.

Next would be the tedious grind through levels...It can get really old really fast. Do boring fetch quest, gain XP. Kill several mobs, gain XP. Repeat that over and over again. Now some people may say that you can never get away from that in MMO's. I say, not true. Lets take SWTOR for example. I know the game was a big let down but the questing, story, and voice over dialogue definitely kept me engaged for some time. Even GW2 adopted voice over dialogue with cut scenes for the main story quests. SOMETHING MORE!! is my point. To put absolutely no effort into keeping your players engaged in the story and questing is probably why they lost so many subscribers in a couple of months following release. It's like they thought the combat would suffice and they left it at that.

Final Thought: It's a great game for new players to the MMO genre. It's fast and furious combat will keep gamers engaged for a bit. Unfortunately, this game took the most basic cookie cutter MMO mechanics and slapped a new coat of paint on it. It's a tedious and boring grind through levels. The game does has a saving grace (well 2 actually), Graphics and Combat. That's it. The other draw I guess is the fact its going F2P in less then a month. You can play now up to level 28 to get a head start. That should be enough time to decide for yourself. Is the innovative combat enough to keep you engaged? or does it feel...lifeless?
  54. Jan 21, 2013
    I am late writing this review, but since I played this game extensively I will give it a score.
    I will first begin with the Pros:
    - The combat in with game is really a big plus part in this game. Live action, blocking, dodging in a way that lets you kill high level and really powerful monster if you have enough skill. I can't really describe how great this approach is the mmo-combat.
    I will first begin with the Pros:

1-The graphics, TERA offers a beautiful world with smooth and incredible animations. Lighting, particles and everything visual that is taken for granted should be appreciated. A few times I stopped just to take a look around, and when you let the scenery sink in, you realize the developers did a great job.
    2-The games user interface is really user friendly and easy to get into. This makes veterans from other games get a familiar feel that is easy to pick up.

3-Character creator and selection screen. A big thing for me in any RPG is character creation. I love creating a very unique character down to every detail. TERA offers this and it spent hours having fun playing with the options.
    These 3 points are what really stood out to me and I actually really had fun playing this game. it is in my opinion the best MMO to me released next to Guild Wars 2. Why did I stop playing you ask? We will discuss this in the Cons.

Cons:
    1-The combat, the combat... though refreshing, fun and innovative is also part of the flaw in this game. Timing is 100% critical in this game and what really is terrible is the developers decided that your character, but finish up his/her attack/spell animation before you can do anything else. For example, if you are swinging your axe and you need to block because the boss is charging up a spell... well... 1-2 seconds can feel like forever as you cannot use your dodge or block till your character finishes the swing/cast. This will lead to frustrating mayhem. So add to this issue; the developers made it where you can only move in one direction in the game. Which is forward; so if you need to black up, your character will turn its back to the enemy to back up.(There is no walk backwards animation)In this game you must always face your enemy, specially if you are a tank. So turning your back to move out of a AOE spot will lead to your death. Taunting is a 1-2 second cast spell to taunt enemies, this is really difficult since the battlefield is always moving. All spells/attack anchor your character until the animation is complete, and this is what flaws the live action combat as it is not fluid like it should be.

2-Instances Ques... oh the Instance/Dungeon Ques... If you are not a tank(Since tanking is really difficult because of con#1. Tanks are rare. With this being said instances Ques are incredible long for even Healers and especially DPS. As a Lancer I got instant Que's but that it not fair to the other players who need quests to wait 30-40+ minutes or longer for a brave soul who rolled a tank to Que up.

3- Group Quests and special monsters... Most MMORPG have group quests, they are either optional to do, or they only require... 2-3 players(Since these are non-dungeon quests). TERA decided ALL group quests are 5 mans. Same thing with Elites, most games have lesser elites and powerful/boss elites. TERA has ALL 5play+elites that require a tank-DPS-Healer. As mentioned in Con#2 getting a group for a dungeon is almost impossible, so getting a group to till 1 elite for a zone quest is even more impossible. This leads you to skip good XP and good loot. However, with enough skill you can kill these monster on your own, BUT it will take you 30 minutes of constant battle to bring it down(With average quest gear.) So spending 1+ hour for 1 quest leads many player to skip these as you can do a dozen normal ones within that time for more XP.

In conclusion: Since TERA has failed to address these HUGE issues mentioned above, this has caused a lot of the player population slowly dwindle away. (Can't do quests, can't do dungeons, combat is flawed.) Which are the heart and soul of any MMORPG. These things in my opinion is why I quit and I am sure many others. To address the problem NCsoft instead of fixing these problem instead convert the game to Free 2 Play. Might as well stabbed themselves in the chest. TERA is a great game, I liked, I really did. If the problems were fixed, I would have stayed, but NCsoft failed to heed our cries. With that in mind TERA will slowly die like the rest. :(
  55. Jan 12, 2013
    While Tera does feature some amazing graphics for a MMO, that's all it really has going for it. Contrary to the belief of western gamers, Tera does not feature original combat or content. In fact, zillions of MMOs are pumped out and kept inside Asia that we never get to see. A f-ton of these are considered to be 'action combat' just like Tera and feature more game than what Tera offers. SoWhile Tera does feature some amazing graphics for a MMO, that's all it really has going for it. Contrary to the belief of western gamers, Tera does not feature original combat or content. In fact, zillions of MMOs are pumped out and kept inside Asia that we never get to see. A f-ton of these are considered to be 'action combat' just like Tera and feature more game than what Tera offers. So what exactly does Tera offer outside of great graphics? A heavily repeating grind that rarely varies from one map to the next. Kill x monster x/x times and repeat until you do a handful of boss type monsters. You can lie to yourselves all you want, but Tera is just trying to cash in on the 'action combat' market that while extremely popular in Asia, has rarely been touched in the western market. For the reason of actually being able to have played a handful of good Asian 'action combat' MMOs throughout my time, I give Tera a solid 0 for bringing nothing new to the genre. Expand
  56. Jan 6, 2013
    I played TERA since the beta, I pre-ordered it, was very excited for it. It did not let me down. I stopped playing it after having two characters over level 50 (Maximum was 60), and I enjoyed the experience quite a lot. There were some flaws with it, like the fact that the leveling was quite repetitive. You'd kill a few monsters for a quest, and then you'd do the same thing again withI played TERA since the beta, I pre-ordered it, was very excited for it. It did not let me down. I stopped playing it after having two characters over level 50 (Maximum was 60), and I enjoyed the experience quite a lot. There were some flaws with it, like the fact that the leveling was quite repetitive. You'd kill a few monsters for a quest, and then you'd do the same thing again with different monsters, all the way to level 60. The customer support was bad, and not a lot of people played it, which was a problem.
    What made the game amazing however, was the combat system, and the BAM (Big ass monster) battles. Every once in a while you'd come across a 5 man quest or dungeon, and that's where the game really began. The boss battles were very well designed, the combat was fun as a mage or warrior, and I loved the graphical style of the game. But eventually I stopped playing it since the community died out.
  57. Dec 16, 2012
    Had Tera been released in 2004 instead of WoW, it would've rewritten the MMO landscape, and today's MMO market would've been a drastically different place. Unfortunately, 2012 marks the release date of a game that, in the greater scheme of things, is far behind the competition. Despite Tera's landmark action combat system - which I truly believe is the prototype for great MMOs to come - itHad Tera been released in 2004 instead of WoW, it would've rewritten the MMO landscape, and today's MMO market would've been a drastically different place. Unfortunately, 2012 marks the release date of a game that, in the greater scheme of things, is far behind the competition. Despite Tera's landmark action combat system - which I truly believe is the prototype for great MMOs to come - it is unfortunately plagued by sheer, overwhelming mediocrity in the departments of questing, storyline, and interactivity with the environment. (those that try to climb ladders and vines will know part of what I'm talking about) The PvP is even a little off - what I expected to be an even playing field where skills matter than levels or gear, I was shocked that this game, which I had expected to pioneer normalized PvP, still rewarded grind time over actual skills such as reaction speed and hand-eye coordination (though it still does this far better than any MMO to date, it's not saying too much). I gave this a 9 in my first review, but after playing it for a while, I'm disappointed to say the least that this game, which I had VERY high expectations for, didn't fully deliver like I expected. I still have half a year of my subscription to go and hopefully things turn out a lot better, but if not then Tera has lost a very hopeful customer - someone that truly believed in the greatness it could've achieved. Expand
  58. Dec 9, 2012
    TERA is a game that is definitely worth a try if you are interested in exciting combat and exploring a brilliantly crafted world. There are hundreds of regions and cities all with a different art style, and the combat is more similar to a game like skyrim than the dull usual in MMO's of tabbing and pressing one button every few seconds. The only complaint about it I have is that the normalTERA is a game that is definitely worth a try if you are interested in exciting combat and exploring a brilliantly crafted world. There are hundreds of regions and cities all with a different art style, and the combat is more similar to a game like skyrim than the dull usual in MMO's of tabbing and pressing one button every few seconds. The only complaint about it I have is that the normal quests don't have a particularly compelling storyline, but the game compensates for that in the government system and party/battleground/guild systems. Expand
  59. Nov 30, 2012
    As a game, TERA is no doubt the best MMO out there. It's action based gameplay makes it unmatched in terms of fun (if you are skilled enough, of course) and the political system makes guilds very active. Character creation and art direction are brilliant. Story is OK, but what really is the weak point of TERA is the management company. Europe's Gameforge are making the game sink lower andAs a game, TERA is no doubt the best MMO out there. It's action based gameplay makes it unmatched in terms of fun (if you are skilled enough, of course) and the political system makes guilds very active. Character creation and art direction are brilliant. Story is OK, but what really is the weak point of TERA is the management company. Europe's Gameforge are making the game sink lower and lower, while NA Enmasse are doing a little better. Sad! Expand
  60. Oct 1, 2012
    Tera offers almost nothing different or unique outside of it's combat and political system (even then, I'm not fond of a potentially retarded player being in charge of so much). It feels like they put a lot of effort into over hyping their combat system and not enough effort into...anything else. The game would have more potential if it wasn't a standard-style MMO with the most basic cutTera offers almost nothing different or unique outside of it's combat and political system (even then, I'm not fond of a potentially retarded player being in charge of so much). It feels like they put a lot of effort into over hyping their combat system and not enough effort into...anything else. The game would have more potential if it wasn't a standard-style MMO with the most basic cut and dry questing system available. If you want a story line, forget about it. Just expect to collect 10 boxes and kill 50 boars. Not just -any- boars though, but boars with the same model and skills you saw when you were level 5, forty levels ago. Yes, a lot of recycled mobs standing in a field. If you manage to stomach the horrible level 55 through 60 grind and make it to level cap, expect the game to be heavily dependent on gear (which you'll struggle in getting unless you know a Tank or you are a Tank). Otherwise, have fun in 2hr+ queues even if you're a healer. ==== As for the dungeons, it's probably the best part of the game, however their LFG system is flawed but it gets the job done (barely). What's wrong with the LFG system? Well, for starters, people AFK and that's not the worst part, the AFKers are usually the group leaders. Who can kick? Group leaders. By then, you'll probably have your tank leave out of frustration and your group falls apart. Another scenario, my personal favorite, is someone who "buys a tank" to tank for them in a dungeon but upon arrival, the Tank will leave as soon as everyone zones in. Again, the group falls apart. The next best part though is wiping. Since you get zoned into an instance, chances are you have no idea where this instance is, so if you wipe, you're ported back to a town somewhere in the zone. Thus, you have people leaving because 1) You wiped, 2) They're lost, 3) They're tired of waiting for the lost person to find their way. *Another* flaw is the fact that if you press "wait" before entering a Dungeon, there is no option to teleport back to the dungeon. Yeah..this wasn't thought through. ==== Finally, I don't think Tera offers enough to be deemed as "unique." The hype of the combat system will wither away after level 40 and I promise you'll be clawing your eyes out by the time you kill your 9823794872938479824 recycled quest mob. The depth of the quests is not worth reading (not even the "story" quest), the cut scenes are awful and poorly translated. There's just not much to do at cap to even justify putting yourself through so much pain and agony. Not to mention (take it as good or bad, as a female gamer I found it weird) all the female characters look and dress like porn stars. Tera took "battle thongs" to a whole new level. ==== PS: I hope you -really- like 100% gear based, stuns, back-to-back knockdowns, chain CC's, getting ganked/zerged, and getting two shot [unless...you're a lancer], because that's about what you can expect from Tera's PVP. So much for skill (because..aiming is hard or something?). Honestly, it's no wonder this game failed in other countries already. But don't take my word for it, try it for yourselves and make your own opinion. Expand
  61. Sep 29, 2012
    Anyone heard of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within? It is a good example of what Tera is. A game made for certain fans, then modified to attract "normals", leaving it a product disliked by "normals" and fans.

The focus in the game is animal girls and sexy women. The quality is unmatched by any other MMO, and makes this game number one in its category. But En Masse did not want to come across as a company selling visual candy, they want to seem serious. So instead they tried to hide this, and highlight the combat instead. The combat, which is not in any way special compared to other MMOs released recently.

So what is really the problem? The problem is that the people who know what it is, and the people who are fooled about action combat, come together in a community where they have completely different values. Which means that insults is more common than anything, giving Tera the worlds worst community. And a MMO is what its community is.

The game is worth playing, but remember it is like inviting the school bully to insult you through the whole game. Unless you are said bully, in that case it is like a smorgasbord of victims to insult all day.
  62. Sep 26, 2012
    Well i only want to say one thing and i think most people that quit the game would've agree with me. Tera has the classic leveling system, you will eventually be at the level cap if you just grind the quest. Combat system is fine, UI is fine. but all these aint important. the reason this game failed, at least i think its going to fail is that the developer kept NERF the end game contentWell i only want to say one thing and i think most people that quit the game would've agree with me. Tera has the classic leveling system, you will eventually be at the level cap if you just grind the quest. Combat system is fine, UI is fine. but all these aint important. the reason this game failed, at least i think its going to fail is that the developer kept NERF the end game content and whats really bad about that unlike WOW is that WOW has more endgame content than this game. And yet this game Nerf things faster and heavier compare to even wow. For those have attempted hard-mode dungeons before the Queen patch probably know that before what i consider the biggest nerf, you get one Tier 13 item per average five runs. and after the patch you get one per run. and this just fluctuate the market makes ruining hard-mode pointless. whats even worse is the new dungeon normal mode for the queen patch drops the same Tier level items. For me I just dont see why bother running the new dungeon anymore. Expand
  63. Sep 23, 2012
    Desperately looking for a new MMO-game or any rpg game, I was ready to accept almost any game. But this game is total crap. It's like being offered Root Beer in the dessert, even if it's your last option, you still say no to that nasty **** I got to admit, I haven't actually got in to the game that much. I believe I finished the first 2 or 3 quests, and then I deleted the game. TheDesperately looking for a new MMO-game or any rpg game, I was ready to accept almost any game. But this game is total crap. It's like being offered Root Beer in the dessert, even if it's your last option, you still say no to that nasty **** I got to admit, I haven't actually got in to the game that much. I believe I finished the first 2 or 3 quests, and then I deleted the game. The introduction and tutorial to this game is awful. Have seriously never been more let down. It took almost a whole day to download and install the 7-day trial, and when it finally starts, it's worse than any other MMO or Rpg I've ever played. Expand
  64. Sep 19, 2012
    Tera as much have said have amazing gfx, but only when you're in a low pop location. The controls vary from excellent to worst(usual melee which sometimes are unresponsive). There are soo many bugs in this game for example constant memory leaks, low ~7 fps during events, glitchy bosses, attacks going through mobs. Not to mention how shady the business practice is with EME.Tera as much have said have amazing gfx, but only when you're in a low pop location. The controls vary from excellent to worst(usual melee which sometimes are unresponsive). There are soo many bugs in this game for example constant memory leaks, low ~7 fps during events, glitchy bosses, attacks going through mobs. Not to mention how shady the business practice is with EME. Micro-transactions are suppose to be micro... Not to mention how they censored loads of armor models and then decided to sell an expensive uncensored armor model, clearly against their philosophy at release and their reasoning for making all armor somewhat ugly. (imo it was to sell better looking ones for really high prices). The only thing it has going is the combat, best freaking combat in any MMO (if it worked 100% of the time). Also not grindy at all except for the dailies which is understandable... All in all Tera had lots of potential, just never delivered on it... Too many glitches and when you complain, they close down the thread... Ignoring these problems just compound them more and more. Sorry 1 more thing look at the Slayer class, it's main/major attack is so bugged that it only lands 50% of the time. I'm talking about heart thrust, a well known bug and no statements of fixes have been announced since release 4 months ago.

My game experience covers, 5 classes: Mystic, Sorc, Priest, Slayer, and Lancer. Time played... I'd say pretty much 24/7 lol since release. All hard modes accomplished except QoA aka MC.
  65. Sep 10, 2012
    Tera Online, is one game that might just get overlooked. Most of the game titles of 2012, have been over looked due to bad reviews. Mostly, if its not a highly anticipated sage. or first person action shooter, or even console game, for your playstation or xbox game system, it doesn't get much thought. Most of 2012 have been fails, with the occasional gem. Tera Online, the exception to thatTera Online, is one game that might just get overlooked. Most of the game titles of 2012, have been over looked due to bad reviews. Mostly, if its not a highly anticipated sage. or first person action shooter, or even console game, for your playstation or xbox game system, it doesn't get much thought. Most of 2012 have been fails, with the occasional gem. Tera Online, the exception to that rule. Its simply the best out there right now for MMORPG's. The game is both beautiful and addictive. One thing I have learn over the years, is that you have you will always have fan boys for every game franchise. Having played Guild Wars2, Star Wars: TOR, and every mmo of 2012, this game is far superior. Expand
  66. Sep 4, 2012
    Great game, somewhat boring mmo quests. It's really all about the graphics and fighting in fps if you cast of are a archer. Hack and slash for melee, but now we all get to have fun. One big thing I didn't like was the lack of a recount dps and heals. They seems to take a strong stance again "UI clutter" I wouldn't mind it being like really small, I just wanna see the stats of a fight as itGreat game, somewhat boring mmo quests. It's really all about the graphics and fighting in fps if you cast of are a archer. Hack and slash for melee, but now we all get to have fun. One big thing I didn't like was the lack of a recount dps and heals. They seems to take a strong stance again "UI clutter" I wouldn't mind it being like really small, I just wanna see the stats of a fight as it helps me improve as a player generally. Other than that I really love this game. I am planning on buying a year worth in September. Expand
  67. Sep 3, 2012
    Great looking game... if they had only spent some of that money on gameplay. Extremely linear. All characters go through the same zones to level. Max 1 char and you've done all the PVE content. Meaningless PVP. Killing people gets you.. nothing. No points, no rewards, no reputation, no records, nothing. Endgame is nonexistent, and servers have become ghostowns where little happens except aGreat looking game... if they had only spent some of that money on gameplay. Extremely linear. All characters go through the same zones to level. Max 1 char and you've done all the PVE content. Meaningless PVP. Killing people gets you.. nothing. No points, no rewards, no reputation, no records, nothing. Endgame is nonexistent, and servers have become ghostowns where little happens except a few very dedicated guilds running the same dungeons over and over for gear. Expand
  68. Aug 31, 2012
    Critics will rave about the combat, and so they should. But what of the rest of the game? I leveled to 38 in the free month that I got for buying TERA Online. The initial price isn't bad considering everything else out there is 60$. In my first experience with the game I felt like I was reinvigorated to play MMOs again. The combat is fun, skill-based, and satisfying when coming up withCritics will rave about the combat, and so they should. But what of the rest of the game? I leveled to 38 in the free month that I got for buying TERA Online. The initial price isn't bad considering everything else out there is 60$. In my first experience with the game I felt like I was reinvigorated to play MMOs again. The combat is fun, skill-based, and satisfying when coming up with your own combos. However, that's where my excitement stopped. You see, TERA is no different than your standard MMO. PvE has a story that you can follow. However, that story is drowned out by mundane errand quests that are copy and pasted into new areas. You literally go back and kill a re skinned, renamed version of the monster you killed 10 minutes ago. I QUICKLY found myself clicking through the quest text and gluing my eyes to the mini map to see what I needed to kill, how many, and where they were located. Then I realized I wasn't having any fun anymore. I was doing the exact same thing I was doing in other MMOs that I lost interest in. Then I realized I would have to pay 15$ monthly to do this mindless routine over and over again and I decided enough is enough. I have done all of this before only without the fun combat and it still wasn't enough to redeem this game. I got to level 38 out of principle. The lore isn't the most intriguing but it's there. The graphics on this game are great but only due to the fantastical sci-fi setting and aesthetics. It's actually just the Unreal 3 engine used in a great way and that's not a bad thing.

In the end I didn't pay 15$ to continue this game. It's a shame because the combat was very fun but not enough to keep me interested. You'll see many reviews based on the combat alone and I think this is atrocious. MMO's should start being rated by their PvE content including story and questing mechanics as well. So many have accepted the mindless grind that they've developed stockholm syndrome with MMO's. We need to demand more.
  69. Aug 28, 2012
    Great game in many respects. Combat is fun and the whole game is beautiful. There are legitimate challenges to be found solo, and group content was fun. The non-tab targeting is a breath of fresh air. This is what I wanted Diablo III to be. I haven't made it t the endgame, so no comment there.

Downsides: Very limited character power customization. Character customization is

Downsides: Very limited character power customization.

Character customization is pretty good, but your look will be dominated by the chestpiece you're wearing.

Too many powers cause you to lose control of your character for a length of time, and it is never clear exactly when that time is over. I understand that this is an integral part of the combat system, but I feels very clunky even if it makes the animations prettier.

Tiny text and the wide variety of items makes inventory management a bit of a drag (though not much worse than most MMOs, I suppose).

The stamina system is a little baffling and completely unfun for me (arbitrary mechanic that rewards standing by a fire and not doing anything).
  70. Aug 28, 2012
    Awesome graphics and the best controls and play style I've ever seen in a MMORPG which makes, as they promised, a true combat game where you have to aim to hit your enemies and also aim your friends to heal them! There are some skills that lets you skip been hit by enemies and can be played with a game pad and an awesome combo system. The only reason why I don't rate this as a 10 isAwesome graphics and the best controls and play style I've ever seen in a MMORPG which makes, as they promised, a true combat game where you have to aim to hit your enemies and also aim your friends to heal them! There are some skills that lets you skip been hit by enemies and can be played with a game pad and an awesome combo system. The only reason why I don't rate this as a 10 is because the game is too lineal, you don't have too many different maps to play at each level range. Expand
  71. Aug 26, 2012
    Interesting take on combat. Bland everything else. Visuals might make or brake it for some, this is mostly a matter of taste. Special mention to the horrid questing.
  72. Aug 13, 2012
    Seeking new game? Wanna try something new? Get Tera online 7/10 star. Game was great for me for about 1 month but thats only because I wanted to play it for a month until gw2 came out and I can try that bad game. Tera was alot fun. New and decent graphics
  73. Aug 8, 2012
    I spent a couple of evenings playing a Tera trial. I have to admit that. The graphics are great, didn't encounter any bugs, and everything was smooth.

The combat is very interesting, I still remember my first experience: Activating the multishot skill, selecting my targets with the mouse, and then fire three-four arrows on the selected targets. The combat is suddenly a thrill, compared to previous mmo experiences.

But I think companies have to rethink their subscription policy. I've tried Tera, Secret World, Aeon, Star Wars, even reopened my wow account within the last five months; but I just can't accept the lease feeling. Too casual gamer. Eve Online will have to go too, even I have four accounts at the moment.

Reason: Guild wars 2. I might get bored, I might get disappointed, I might be surprised negatively. But I can decide that I will spend hours and hours on training my characters there. I own the game forever. Some might argument that this has nothing to do in a review. But I have to reason why I give Tera a 5. That's my max score on a subbed game, from now on. (Please disregard this being my first review here).
  74. Aug 3, 2012
    The graphics are impressive, if not in poor taste. The gameplay is laughably bad. Their idea of "action combat" is so rudimentary and simplistic, calling it "true action combat" is more than just a joke - it's borderline criminal false advertising.

You have two choices for leveling up - grind big mobs in a party (BAMs) or grind little mobs over and over (quests.) This wouldn't be so terrible if not for how bad the combat in this game really is. Look elsewhere. I wouldn't even recommend TERA if it were F2P - which it is destined to be.
  75. Aug 3, 2012
    If you like:
    - boring crafting
    - an incomplete political system ( a lot of guilds went inactive so certain teretorries are without a political leader and because of that without classteachers and certain merchants) - repetetive Quests/terretories - a really nice Combatsystem - nice graphics - boring Instances ( where you will be kicked if you are an archer/berserker) - lacking
    If you like:
    - boring crafting
    - repetetive Quests/terretories
    - a really nice Combatsystem
    - nice graphics
    - boring Instances ( where you will be kicked if you are an archer/berserker)
    - lacking support in the EU because of the 2nd worst publisher possible (after GOA)

Then you will love this game, everyone else will play it for a month and toss it away like many did.
  76. Jul 31, 2012
    Let me start off by saying that I never intended on playing this game. Being a veteran of many past and current MMO's, I tried this game because of the available 7 day 23 level limit trial. Well, to my surprise I couldn't get over how fun the combat system is. I created a priest and was shocked at how awesome he is. Playing the classic Korean androgynous high elf I can thrash myLet me start off by saying that I never intended on playing this game. Being a veteran of many past and current MMO's, I tried this game because of the available 7 day 23 level limit trial. Well, to my surprise I couldn't get over how fun the combat system is. I created a priest and was shocked at how awesome he is. Playing the classic Korean androgynous high elf I can thrash my enemies with awesome combs and without having to repeat the normal rotations I am so used to in other MMO's. That is one of the large reasons why I prefer to play this game over many of my other MMO's. When I play Tera is fullfills my needs not only for an MMO, but for an action game in where my character placement and skill are actually important. I gave this game an 8 overall just because while the combat is great I feel that the quests could be a little more stimulating.
    One point that I must highlight about this game as well is the graphics. If you were, or are a fan of Lineage 2 and Korean games you will absolutely love this game. the character models are absolutely gorgeous, so make sure not to solicit your party members while in an important dungeon.
    In a very harsh MMO market, I believe that Tera will stay alive and well. The community seems good and the game brings to the market elements that no others contain. I for one see myself playing Tera for many more years to come and have faith that the additional endgame will fulfill its patrons. As the current dungeons are a very fun and unique experience.
  77. Jul 24, 2012
    The only downside I have noticed is that the questing system was obviously made by a 4 year old. It is as awful as everyone says it is. There is only one starter island, which kinda blows too especially when it is very boring. Other than that, the combat is amazingly fun (I like it way better with the PS3 controller), the graphics are solid (although I've found the environments to be justThe only downside I have noticed is that the questing system was obviously made by a 4 year old. It is as awful as everyone says it is. There is only one starter island, which kinda blows too especially when it is very boring. Other than that, the combat is amazingly fun (I like it way better with the PS3 controller), the graphics are solid (although I've found the environments to be just ok), and playing with people is a lot of fun. I thought it was neat that the different classes have varying difficulties from 2-5 stars, so once you are more familiar with the game, you can go on ahead and make a new character with the more difficult to master class.

Overall it feels fluid and the only huge downside is questing.
  78. Jul 21, 2012
    As an MMO veteran who has played tons of MMOs dating back to Ultima Online, I really enjoyed playing TERA. The hands-on combat is refreshing and fun, and the world and character models are gorgeous. I have so many screenshots of the world as I was exploring, and many of them are being used as my desktop background. If you do the quests, leveling and acquiring gear upgrades is fun andAs an MMO veteran who has played tons of MMOs dating back to Ultima Online, I really enjoyed playing TERA. The hands-on combat is refreshing and fun, and the world and character models are gorgeous. I have so many screenshots of the world as I was exploring, and many of them are being used as my desktop background. If you do the quests, leveling and acquiring gear upgrades is fun and you rarely feel like you are stuck grinding, or being starved for upgrades as you level to 60. For a Korean MMO, this one is the least grindy I have ever experienced. Unfortunately where TERA is suffering right now, is mainly with their billing system, and lack of end game. I've placed more help tickets with their customer service trying to get various billing errors resolved (double billing, sub discount not applied, billing failed, etc) than I have ever placed with any other game I've ever played. Trying to sub to this game has been more frustrating than maintaining a PlayOnline account with FFXI, and that should say something. I have a normal Visa credit card in good standing, so the problems seem strange to me. Regarding end game, the Nexus events were added to give max leveled characters something to do, but it's usually scheduled at times I can't play, and when I can join in, it's a lag fest and not very fun. Also, the political system feels out of place on my server, which felt very low population last time I logged in. Not even all the territories have Vanarch's at the moment there, which is unfortunate. I may revisit this game in time, but until the billing system isn't such a mess, and there's more to the end game, I don't have a reason to be playing right now. Expand
  79. Jul 20, 2012
    Tera is the best MMORPG of it's kind. The gameplay of TERA is like a fusion between WoW kind games and Lineage 2 kind, (when it was in the First chronicle: Harbingers of War). At first seem like WoW with outstanding graphics and Lineage 2 kind of artistic detail. But the gameplay is more Lineage 2 like with a fine tune target system like shooters have, not so precise of course. CombatTera is the best MMORPG of it's kind. The gameplay of TERA is like a fusion between WoW kind games and Lineage 2 kind, (when it was in the First chronicle: Harbingers of War). At first seem like WoW with outstanding graphics and Lineage 2 kind of artistic detail. But the gameplay is more Lineage 2 like with a fine tune target system like shooters have, not so precise of course. Combat balance, classes , skills , functionality on each one from the party, and pvp mechanics are similar of the old school Lineage 2, but better and faster. Political system too from Lineage 2 is much more better here for a not so open world game. In this game instances are a bubble where players can farm their gear or whatever, but in lineage 2 the fact of not having any instances and totally openworld pve and pvp, lead players to declare wars , take zones, protect them, exploit some mobs that drop unique items and controlling that resources for themselves , they controlled everything in a whole server... that FREE world of lineage 2 was balanced but savage in old times... time ruined the game. TERA revives the best gameplay, but more balanced, unique and with some things from others MMOS like world of warcraft. A "perfect" balance. Expand
  80. Jul 17, 2012
    By now, I suspect most of you have read something about the game. I'll just chime in and say that the combat is fun, the character creation is sufficiently varied, and the questing/adventuring model is utterly tedious. It's just not possible for me to enjoy running to a quest hub, picking up all the quests without reading the text, killing everything in sight, then running back to theBy now, I suspect most of you have read something about the game. I'll just chime in and say that the combat is fun, the character creation is sufficiently varied, and the questing/adventuring model is utterly tedious. It's just not possible for me to enjoy running to a quest hub, picking up all the quests without reading the text, killing everything in sight, then running back to the quest hub any longer. And then you get a breadcrumb quest to run to the next hub, where you literally do the same things over and over again. The actual act of killing is energetic, however. That can't be denied, and it shouldn't be minimized. After all, a huge part of the game is centered around killing. But, seriously, killing thousands upon thousands of foozles, only to look back and see the next guy killing those same foozles...that model is really bankrupt at this point, wouldn't you agree? Expand
  81. Jul 16, 2012
    A beautiful game that lacks the depth and complexity expected from other AAA releases. Aside from the innovative combat system and Mystic gameplay, very little in TERA is new, from the stagnant story and questing to end game equipment grind.
  82. Jul 15, 2012
    The first 8 or so hours were fun for me. I really didn't get a chance to group much, I played more solo than anything, but even the solo-ing was fun. After about level 25, I don't know what happened, but I just lost interest. I hoping to get back in it again, I really want to give it another try before deciding if I should keep playing or not.
  83. Jul 14, 2012
    The amazing combat is highly exaggerated, every melee character lunges forward dramatically in an animation you can't interrupt meaning you'll 5/10 move past your target in pve and in pvp? a flailfest as fun as wading through sewage. graphics are great sound is decent story is UN-interesting and poorly told. Tera is also ported over from korea and carrys with it the heavily grind centricThe amazing combat is highly exaggerated, every melee character lunges forward dramatically in an animation you can't interrupt meaning you'll 5/10 move past your target in pve and in pvp? a flailfest as fun as wading through sewage. graphics are great sound is decent story is UN-interesting and poorly told. Tera is also ported over from korea and carrys with it the heavily grind centric gameplay, it must be remembered that en-masse are a localization team only, not the developers what this means is a far longer wait for any content from the primary game and heavy censorship. All in all skip this game friends try out secret world and guild wars 2 for better games overall. Expand
  84. Jul 13, 2012
    Being an avid consumer of RPG games since last century, I must say I am tremendously disappointed at Enmasse's Tera endeavour.

I played the game for long enough to get 2 characters to level 15 (after a 30ish hours download of the game) and i saw no difference in gameplay from my first minute until the last i was playing. The action is repetitive, the quests are extremely dull, the plot is the same for every race/class and the so called "action oriented" battle system is just a small perk on a otherwise 3ish score game.

sure the environment is good looking (although nothing spectacular [no grass details on the ground and realistic roads for instance]) but that's about it. This game would have scored a 7 if it had been released about 5 years ago, but nowadays, if u use the same grinding formula of koreans MMOs, your product is just gonna hit way below the curve.

in summary: only get tera if you enjoy grinding/repetitive games.
  85. Jul 11, 2012
    I never really followed this game prior to release, and only picked it up when it was on sale over at Amazon for 50% off a few weeks back. Having now played for a bit, I can say that while I feel I got my money's worth, I don't think this is an MMO I'll be sticking with in the long-term. The good: the visuals are absolutely stunning, I dare say that it's probably the best looking MMO I'veI never really followed this game prior to release, and only picked it up when it was on sale over at Amazon for 50% off a few weeks back. Having now played for a bit, I can say that while I feel I got my money's worth, I don't think this is an MMO I'll be sticking with in the long-term. The good: the visuals are absolutely stunning, I dare say that it's probably the best looking MMO I've ever played (and I have played many); achievements and reputation grinds give you some fun little things to do outside of pursuing the usual endgame MMO sort of thing; the combat breaks away from the typical MMO, and it's definitely a lot of fun having full control over your character's actions instead of simply queuing up abilities like in WoW. Unfortunately, the visuals and immersive environment really weren't enough to keep me interested.. At it's core, the game is just a whole lot of repetition, with damn near everything being a "go here, fetch this, kill that" quest experience, and it gets old horribly fast. I understand some people like that sort of thing, and that's awesome, but if you're looking for a richer questing experience from your MMO, TERA probably isn't going to satisfy you. Expand
  86. Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. thid game dont realy bring anything new to the table ,it is just as bad as other korean games,aion is more tempting than this,and that isnt a good game eighter. Expand
  87. Jul 6, 2012
    Great graphics, amazing character customization, and interesting combat. Just lacked everything else that should be in an MMO. This shouldn't make people want to play this game.
  88. Jul 3, 2012
    This game has the best graphics for a mmo. it has very promising gameplay with many attributes and weapons and armor and classes. while i get some frame drops and some repetitive gameplay i will recommend this game to anyone and defiantly to rpg fans.
  89. Jun 22, 2012
    First of all, it took literally, 8 hours to download the trial version to even try it, i even heard for some people it was longer. When i got in i was fairly impressed, i had fun using the ability combinations and killing mobs, but as the quests progressed the first thing i noticed is they repeated killing the same mob many many times. For some reason the fact that when you climb upFirst of all, it took literally, 8 hours to download the trial version to even try it, i even heard for some people it was longer. When i got in i was fairly impressed, i had fun using the ability combinations and killing mobs, but as the quests progressed the first thing i noticed is they repeated killing the same mob many many times. For some reason the fact that when you climb up ladders it literally takes a minute and a half and your feet aren't even really on the ladder bugged me a lot. When the first cinematic came around, i noticed the voices weren't even in sync with the characters mouths which was just terribly funny. I can't write much about the story line but i also heard that was crappy. The only pros i find in getting a game like this is the different combat style, the environment which i actually enjoyed because of how vast and beautiful it was. Expand
  90. Jun 16, 2012
    The people who swear by this game can say whatever they want but when it comes down to it, everything but the combat system is on par with a mediocre free to play game. The questing, NPCs, and game world in general is as bland as you could possibly imagine. "Kill 5 trees" "Kill 5 more trees". Yeah it's THAT kind of mmo. If you don't mind those kind of thoughtless quests then you might likeThe people who swear by this game can say whatever they want but when it comes down to it, everything but the combat system is on par with a mediocre free to play game. The questing, NPCs, and game world in general is as bland as you could possibly imagine. "Kill 5 trees" "Kill 5 more trees". Yeah it's THAT kind of mmo. If you don't mind those kind of thoughtless quests then you might like this game but to me they feel like a chore and it's just a result of developers thinking they can get away with making a crap game as long as the combat system is unique. Really even the combat system in general isn't very good. The melee combat has no weight to it, no interesting ragdolls from enemies, and no interesting combat. The ranged combat isn't any better because all the enemies have hitboxes the size of Texas so you might as well just be using auto. This is just another boring Korean clone with a tacked on gimmick. Expand
  91. Jun 12, 2012
    Tera is one of the few MMO's that have captivated my attention in the last few years. There are several outstanding features that Tera offers to the MMO world, the best of which would be it's exciting, unique combat system. Especially in a day where so many MMO's are nothing more then WoW clones, Tera manages to bring something unique to the table. The addition of a political system addsTera is one of the few MMO's that have captivated my attention in the last few years. There are several outstanding features that Tera offers to the MMO world, the best of which would be it's exciting, unique combat system. Especially in a day where so many MMO's are nothing more then WoW clones, Tera manages to bring something unique to the table. The addition of a political system adds yet another layer of interest. While it does follow the general kill so many of this, gather so many of that, quest structure, the combat mechanics keep one interested enough to forgive what would normally be a monotonous questing experience. Tera has a lot of potential, potential that the developer will hopefully continue to build on as time passes. Expand
  92. Jun 11, 2012
    Depressing.

I bought this hoping it would be amazing, and it's sad that this game is the equivalent of a dumb cheerleader. "Pretty, perky and new" in the looks department, but "bland, uninteresting, and slightly daft" everywhere else. Questing is the same grind, TERAfan's will defend it to the death and begin to attack other games instead of admitting it's bad. Too many "KILL X OF Y"
    Depressing.

Questing is the same grind, TERAfan's will defend it to the death and begin to attack other games instead of admitting it's bad. Too many "KILL X OF Y" quests, not a lot of variety in the quest department. Rewards are a trifle compared to just grinding mobs for XP, (Unless you are on a PVP server and getting ganked by bored level 60's who consider the endgame= griefing lowbies) It's stale, and boring.

Combat is fun, snappy, and responsive but it falls flat on it's face everywhere else. A game that's a year old (In Korea) is bringing NOTHING but a new combat system to bat. No matter how hard people deny it, this game is on a one-way path to F2P and eventual abandonment by everyone but a core group of Elin loving weirdos who think it's a "crime" that they censored the "little girl race" in the west.

The subscription fee is high, coupled with NOTHING to do at Endgame except grief and PK other players, do GvG battles (Where the other Guild Leader hides on a level 1 alt, to avoid losing), or do the ultra lag inducing and horribly implemented Nexus raids. (EVERY PLAYER ZERG RUSH THE NEXUS! IT'S HOW YOU WIN!)

This game deserves at least 2 points for being pretty, and running decent. Outside of that, the lack of story, lack of any substance, and the lack of anything more than a /local filled with elitist trolling jerkoffs spouting off constantly about how "TERA IS BETTER THAN X, Y, AN Z". If you need to do that in /local daily, you're obviously trolling or trying to actually convince yourself that what you are saying is true.

The sad fact is, most of the discussion on the forums is asking EME to fix things, or petitions to ad something as simple as officers to a guild. This game WILL NOT LAST!

tl;dr- Probably the WORST MMORPG I've ever played, Guild Wars 2 is worlds above this in terms of quests, story, combat, PvP, action, and fun!
  93. Jun 10, 2012
    I'm really enjoying this game. Good combat. Same old MMO quest line. Asian Storyline is good though. The game is simply amazing. It's terrific. Don't let a bunch of internet trolls troll you. I played in the closed beta, and all the problems in the beta are fixed.
  94. Jun 8, 2012
    Grindy, poor storyline, uninspired design, little content, extremely buggy. As one reviewer put it, TERA wastes your time--this game does not have enough content for even a month. I unsubscribed 3/4ths of the way through my first month, my two friends playing the game did so shortly into their second month. (Lvels 36, 42, and ~30 respectively).

Not worth your money, it will go F2P soon enough.
  95. Jun 7, 2012
    I played this game in beta testing, and it DID excite me for a brief time.
    The combat system is pretty cool, and (to my knowledge) unique in MMOs.
    However, the incredible Asian-ness of the game just ruined it for me. Unless you are an ultra-fanboi and watch anime all the time, you will most likely find the graphical style of this game unbearable.
  96. Jun 3, 2012
    High quality graphics, probably the best graphic ever for the current generation MMO. Combat is crazy fun and can't stop killing stuff! There's not much things to praise about the quest system, but at least texts are not too boring to read them through, and by playing with friends, it adds more fun to it which is what MMO is all about.
  97. Jun 3, 2012
    I have been leveling a Sorcerer in Tera. My initial impressions are not good. The sell on this game is the combat system. It is interesting, but really I thought that Conan had an interesting combat system also that was different from the standard MMO. So how new really is this? If you like EWOK like creatures and over the top sexual overtones in the toons then maybe this will appealI have been leveling a Sorcerer in Tera. My initial impressions are not good. The sell on this game is the combat system. It is interesting, but really I thought that Conan had an interesting combat system also that was different from the standard MMO. So how new really is this? If you like EWOK like creatures and over the top sexual overtones in the toons then maybe this will appeal to you. The leveling so far has been pretty mundane once you get the hang of the combat. I found it awkward to interact with other players. You click on them and get this menu, but there was no choice to chat with them to get them to help you. This is pretty basic. There must be a way, but it is not obvious. They seem to have twisted around your mouse for the combat system so that the standard MMO approach no longer works for you movement. So you are forced to use the WASD keys with your mouse. With some work, i you might be able to reprogram this or just get a hand controller. The graphics are good, but really not any better than what RIFT is offering or even WOW. The atmospherics from the characters, environment, and music are childish. If you like this Asian childish, cartoon like feel, then you will be happy. If you like an environment that feels more alluring and mysterious, perhaps dark then you will do better with RIFT or WOW. I have spent about 5 hours with this game and i have to say that i was recently leveling a new Mage in WOW and had more fun doing it. There is just no comparison in the environments in my view and the social aspect of WOW are much stronger. The only reason to play an MMO are for the social aspects, otherwise you are better off playing an RPG. My summary is that this game appears to be a bust. I do not think it will last and prosper. Maybe for little kids. Expand
  98. May 28, 2012
    Combat system is okay. Just okay. The questing is horrible. Very, very, horrible. The character models are really ridiculous too. If your really into Asian stuff than maybe its for you but i find it stupid.
  99. May 28, 2012
    The main reason people are even criticizing this game seems to be that It's an Korean MMORPG. Sure, it has It's balance flaws like the potion system WHICH THEY ARE CURRENTLY CHANGING and the main story line scripts aren't too favorable with a lot of people on the same realm but hey, It's better than wow in many ways.

Graphics are cutting-edge with acceptable performance on max settings,

Graphics are cutting-edge with acceptable performance on max settings, all kinds of combat is skill-based be it PVP or PvE. (which I have to say is a true first for any MMORPG I've played in my 6+ years of gaming) No but seriously, you can pick any class and go solo bosses. Sure, it will take some time and effort but you will be fully rewarded once you manage to kill it. This says a lot compared to Blizzard's HURPADERP HULK SMASH 200K AOE 100% HITCHANCE boss logic from boss humanoids that are often smaller than you. Fantasy or not, It gives a mush and bland aftertaste in your mouth along with the restriction of having at least 25 organized people to have a shot at killing said bosses and if you fail, people leave. And when people leave, more people leave. Random match-up you say? Why yes! More failing and more loot-ninjas for everybody! Granted, wow was a good game for It's time but now It's a sinking wood-rotten vessel that has more holes than a Swiss cheese. Obviously you can find this in Tera as well if you have the ingenious idea of running head first into an end-game dungeon as level 1 but Blizzard actually allows players to get one-hitted at their own level for "Challenge". Yeah, we sure see how that concept worked out in Diablo 3, didn't we, Jay?

TLDR: Tera is everything Wow tries to be but on a new, fresh engine/graphics platform.
  100. May 26, 2012
    Fun game with a interesting twist on gameplay, there is a attempt at innovation. the graphics look amazing and run well even on medium level machines, the bad part is the story line is horrible.

I would say this is better than rifts and in the pvp realm better than wow, the gameplay mechanics make it enjoyable to play and level and the graphics are amazing. I think this game could've gotten a much higher score if it would've included a decent storyline.

1. Aug 23, 2012
    Tera sure makes promise on the "true action combat" that it so advertises, but that change alone to the MMORPG formula isn't enough to flip the genre on its head, especially when you've forgotten about other aspects of it.
  2. Aug 22, 2012
    That being said, Tera is in surprisingly good shape for a game so early in its life cycle. The journey to level cap is mostly entertaining, endgame content is available, and the core gameplay elements are solid.
  3. Aug 13, 2012
    Action-oriented combat and interesting graphics aren't enough to overcome what is overall a rather bland experience.