8.4

1. May 21, 2011
    Had me sitting there wondering what I should do? Digging at a "1 minute per swing" pace? I really hate slow games. I play games to play, not stare at the screen waiting for it to do what I want it to do. Instructions should be upfront not inbuilt to a guide guy who I have to find and sometime he is deep underground stuck can't get out while I have to work out what the game wants me to do.
  2. May 21, 2011
    Basically this game is a 2D minecraft but without all the cool stuff you can build in minecraft, lifts etc. You can spend hours playing that is true but you will spend hours doing nothing really, just like minecraft. Very slow, nothing new, worse gameplay because it is 2D, no gamepad support, no decent resolution in fullscreen. Waste of 6 quid and 4 hours of my life.
  3. May 21, 2011
    I got this game on Steam solely because it was cheap, and I wanted to play an old school 2D platformer. Oh boy, what a terrible jumble and mess this game is. It tries to be Minecraft in 2D by giving the ability to build stuff no one cares about, has clunky gameplay, stability issues and is terribly boring. No amount of multiplayer can make this game fun for me. Also, it looks terrible. There are indie games that were designed by single person and look better than this. This is not even a game, more like an operant conditioning experiment in pointless clicking. I wish I could get a refund. I would feel robbed even if this game was free. Expand
  4. May 22, 2011
    If you already have Minecraft, don't buy Terraria! If you don't have Minecraft, then buy it and still don't buy Terraria! Terraria is Minecraft, but 2D and ten times worse. It's the same thing except with less immersion, awful sprites, and an unclassy feeling to it.
  5. Jun 19, 2011
    This game is bad, and you should feel bad for playing it. It's like if minecraft (one of the worst and overrated games ever) had a baby with maple story (also garbage).
  6. Dec 3, 2011
    I tried so hard to like Terraria. I really, really did. For one thing, it was free. A friend bought it for me. It is a MAJOR waste when you can't learn to like something you didn't even pay for. Also, lots of my friends were playing it for a long time, and they wanted me to join them on their server, hence the free game. So my drive to like Terraria was threefold: it was free so it was wasteful not to play it, I didn't want to be rude and not play it with my friends who bought it for me, and I had heard from so many glowing reviews that there was this gem of a game somewhere beneath the surface.

Well I've tried, and tried, and I just can't get excited about Terraria. Anytime I play this game, I am bored stiff. Here's where I think the problem lies:

Yes, there's all the comparisons to Minecraft. Let me tell you, I don't give a crap about any of that. Yes , I've played Minecraft and I liked it a lot. No, I don't care if Terraria "ripped it off" or not. A game can rip of or be inspired by other games as much as it wants. If the end result is fun, we're all the more merry for it. So it's not that it's like Minecraft.

Same goes for all the comparisons to "Metroidvania" games. Fine with me, so it's not that it's like Metroidvania games. The problem, I believe, is that it's not ENOUGH like either a Metroidvania game or a Minecraft game. That's the feeling I couldn't shake when playing this... this game is just so... lukewarm. Let's look at it from the Minecraft side. As a Minecraft-esque game, i.e. a creative tool with adventure elements, it doesn't stand up. It's just not as fun to create things in 2d. You can't think of the crazy, creative ideas that you can in something like Minecraft because there's just one less plane to work with. On top of that, if you do want to approach it mainly as a way to let out your creativity, you are going to be sorely taxed as monsters crawl up your butt from every angle. You're going to be spending just as much material making yourself new weapons to deal with your enemies as you do making structures. There is too large a helping of action for the arm-chair architect. Also, your creativity will be stunted in the Crafting department. There is no playing around with materials and discovering new combinations here. If you have the raw goods in your inventory, what you can make with them is laid out before you. As a creative tool, Terraria just doesn't stand up. It's just not as good.

Now let's look at Metroidvania aspect. The same thing has happened here, the action and adventure has been deluded by the crafty-half. The game doesn't respond or play like your standard Metroid shooter/platformer. The physics of your character are clunky and your weapons imprecise. You can tell this game was NOT coded with simply high-quality side-scrolling action in mind.

What happens with this game is simply this: they tried to combine two niches and wound up watering down both. If you want to play a side-scrolling indie action game on the PC, for god sake, play Capsized or something. After coming back from that, you won't be able to stand Terraria. If you want to build something, play Minecraft. If you really are the niche player these programmers were looking for and you simply MUST have side-scrolling action and building/crafting in the same game... well... then I guess you will love this thing. If you ask me though, you'll only love it because there's nothing better out there in the genre at the moment, just this I gave this a negative score, despite the fact that the structure of the game is basically sound, because the game isn't even entertaining to me in a bad way. It is frustratingly bland.
  7. May 27, 2011
    If you like Minecraft, you will like this; otherwise this game is trash. Old school DOS graphics. Figure it out for yourself how to play this because there is no documentation or real intuitiveness to what you are supposed to do. $10 is WAY overpriced; more like FREE to $1 max. It is a 16MB download on steam to give you an idea of how little disk space it wastes on your hard drive. The concept is there, but they need to spend some time on modernizing the game to make it appeal to me. Expand
  8. May 26, 2011
    Just...awful...
    It's like a poorly designed, unoriginal, messy, 2d, insubstantial, devoid of gameplay, emotionless, dull, repeditive, pointless and unintuitive version of minecraft with all the good bits taken out.
    if you enjoy this game, there's a good chance you'll enjoy lobotomy as well, as they both leave you with the same "wow....I don't feel happy or sad...I just feel like I wasted
    an hour of my existance" feeling....that is if you retain feeling. Expand
  9. Feb 10, 2012
    Terraria allows you to do a lot of things but at the end of your gaming session, you'll realize you have been doing absolutely nothing at all. It's slow, tedious, simplistic and has nothing to offer to mature gamers.
  10. Jun 7, 2011
    When I saw a video about this game called 'Terraria', I thought the same thing as I think many people did; "this looks like minecraft". First I was pretty sure that it isn't going to get popular just by copying minecraft, but it did. Of course the game isn't a straight copy of minecraft, it's a lot more. I am just one of those persons who didn't enjoy the game one bit.
  11. Jan 28, 2012
    Terraria is a great game if you are still underground, digging, fighting monsters, and exploring. But what do you do after you are done? There is absolutely NOTHING to do after you are done. Build houses... you can't really build cool stuff in terraria. I have played the game for over 200 hours, but I want a refund. NOW PEOPLE KEEP ON SAYING MINECRAFT is BAD just because Notch stopped devloping it. I am pretty sure Notch does not want to work on Minecraft for the rest of his life. I know I wouldn't. If you like Minecraft, which started everything, don't buy this game. Also, if you like to build, DEFINATELY, don't buy this game. Expand
  12. Jul 26, 2013
    Let me start by saying I have never played Minecraft. Now then, I simply cannot understand this game's popularity or high score. I've played this game for several hours, given it several second chances when I read about updates, and every time I've found this game to be an incredibly frustrating experience. The controls are stiff and unresponsive. The graphics are terrible even by pixelart standards. The music is irritating. The interface is confusing and incredibly unintuitive. The activities are dull and tedious, even when you have a friend join you. These activities are made worse by the fact that when your "world" is generated and you pop into it, every single monster that pops into the world with you automatically homes in on your position. This means that your attempts to complete the tedious activities are constantly interrupted by unrelenting attacks from monsters that you have to fend off by slowly and clumsily swinging your largely ineffective weapons at them. Trailers and advertisements for Terraria claim that somewhere at the end of all this monotony there is the reward of action and adventure, but I've watched some online videos of said adventure. Quite frankly the destination does not appear to justify the frustrating journey. I would give this one point for being a relatively fresh idea, but charging $10 for this ($15 when it was first released!) is tantamount to robbery. Even $5 is pushing it. Expand
  13. Aug 31, 2011
    Terraria is an endearing game at times. I wanted to love it, and kept diving back in hoping that something would click. It didn't. I know that Minecraft and Terraria are totally different games, but still Terraria borrows a lot from Minecraft but doesn't seem to get it right.
  14. Jun 20, 2011
    Rips off minecraft and the concept is bad. Just can't bring myself to enjoy it. I mean, I don't really luike minecraft all that much but when you're playing a game that is a blantant rip-off...
  15. Jun 24, 2011
    This game is a complete rip-off of a well known game. It has no originality whatsoever and makes you feel like you just played a cheap bootlegged version of your favorite game. If this game came out 3 years ago, I would most likely say that it was creative, yet it has wonky build controls, few items, and the game does not even look good. I strongly believe that everyone who gave this a high review is probably crazy. Expand
  16. Feb 11, 2012
    This is for the developers, and for the developers only. Do not support people who bribe people to write them good reviews. That is not how things are supposed to work.
  17. Oct 15, 2012
    It's hardly a "game", I'd call it a level editor for a mediocre platform game. And as a level editor, It's even not that good, because you edit the level with your character, while NPC-s attack. Very steep learning curve - you have to be constantly check wiki to figure out what you can and need to do, but once you get things going, you realize there's nowhere to go.
    It's cute, well done
    for everything that was intended, but there's very little of it. "Motherlode", somewhat similar Flash game was 1/10 of the length, and had no crafting/building, but still felt times more interesting, and also rewarding in the end, unlike Terraria.
    I never got into Minecraft, but invested few weeks into Terraria and can honestly say, there's nothing to miss. Play it if you have *absolutely* nothing to do and Solitaire has lost even remains of its appeal.
  18. Dec 25, 2012
    It may make me sound like an ass, but as I enjoy indie games, especially the ones you could put under the sandbox cathegory, I can't stand to play Terraria. Can't find the fun in there, it's just boring and tiresome...
  19. gas
    Aug 6, 2012
    I really tried to like this game, i usually tend to like more original concepts then uber mainstream games, anwyay i cant understand where is the fun in this game.
    Duno, for me digging for ages and try to build up some scenery/house/level or what we wanna call it is boring, i like to play real lego or the meccano more tbh.
    I honesly have the feeling that this game has not much to offer,
    besdie the fact itself its quite creative as idea. Expand
  20. Oct 5, 2011
    A Minecraft copy. No comment. I gave 1 , 'couse Minecraft is a grate game... I'v bought it, i tried it, and now i hate it. It was a waste of time and money.
  21. Aug 9, 2012
    I appreciate why other people may like Terraria, however, i am not one of those people. This game is too complicated for its own good. It tries to simplify the explore-build-discover mindset with 2d graphics, and 'simple' looking menus. It falls far short in my opinion. It provides an instruction level close to that of IKEA. With no way to go but left or right, and tools hard to use and materials difficult to harvest, I could not get past 2 hours with this game. It has potential, but I am clearly not its demographic. Expand
  22. Nov 14, 2013
    I tried very hard to like this game, I really did. I enjoy this style of game very much, but everything about Terraria was hard to enjoy. Mining and side-scrolling do not mix. You have to click on pixels in order to mine them and listen carefully just to decipher if you are actually in fact mining it at all. There are certain aspects (Like building a home with certain requirements that allow various npcs to live there) that I found original and brilliant... I've tried to play this game several times, but every time I find myself thinking, "I could be spending this time on a different building game that is done well.' Expand
  23. Oct 15, 2013
    Completely unintuitive and uninteresting. I generally like pixel art, but having to squint to see your character is just too much to bear. And your "guide" for the game escapes from you while you're trying to follow its instructions. What a waste of my $2.
  24. Apr 14, 2012
    i looked video's over Terraria and i thought why i dont buy it? that was a mistake 10 euro's is too mush for me it's better like 5 euro i dont like the game anymore i play'd it 2 days and after that i stopped playing it for me it was a waste of monney
  25. EDB
    Jun 22, 2012
    I found this game boring, ultimately. The combat is not very fun compared to most scrolling games, the exploration is interesting at first but ultimately becomes unrewarding, and after the endgame there's nothing to do.
  26. Feb 10, 2014
    An awesome example of how popular those **** indie games can get. The sad thing is, that this game is á copy of minecraft but in 2D. Sad sad saaaaaaad...

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.