8.5

1. May 17, 2011
  2. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the greatest 2D platformers to come out in recent years, and the first 2D platformer to have a real open-world destructible/buildable environment, complete with dungeons and bosses. Numerous and varied weapons, armour and special items will keep you digging and fighting for hours and hours. -And i can all be played in multiplayer! It's like the beautiful freak child of metroidvania and Minecraft. Expand
  3. May 17, 2011
    This game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I came to realize just how different the games really are. There is so much more to discover in this game, and so many more reasons to discover these things! Definitely go and buy it for the $10. It is worth it all. Expand
  4. May 19, 2011
    I believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now and have some fun, Terraria is excellent. Expand
  5. May 19, 2011
    For £5.99 I've had more hours of enjoyment and more 'game' than any major full price game in a long time. If you're a fan of Metroidvania style games I'd definitely give this a shot. Randomly generated worlds are the way to go!
  6. May 17, 2011
    This is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, and the eventual mastery of your environment. My only complaint is the lack of an instruction manual, but the discovery actually adds more than it subtracts.

This game is fantastic and I recommend every single person on the planet buy it. It approaches perfection.
  7. May 20, 2011
    I think the comparisons to Minecraft are justified, but there is an easy way to describe the differences between the two (I think others here have said it as well). Minecraft is crafting/creating focused and Terraria is action/exploration focused. Both have crafting, creating, exploration, and action, but Terraria definitely emphasizes on its exploration and action. I own and enjoy Minecraft, but the "fun factor" seems much high for Terraria. I love the design and crafting features as they are more streamlined than in Minecraft. I think that it is one of the best games I've ever played. I'll end by saying this:
    If you played Minecraft and thought it was a good idea, but didn't get sucked in like many others, give Terraria a try. For $10 bucks it is worth the price of admission for any Minecraft / adventure game fan.
  8. May 18, 2011
    I initially bought Terraria because I loved Minecraft, and was interested about how it would play out in 2D. At first I thought it was just going to be a cheap knockoff of Minecraft, and boy was I wrong. Terraria really feels like a nice throwback to the retro era with its pixel art and retro music, and really feels like a cross of Castlevania with Minecraft. Admittedly, construction is a bit lacking compared to Minecraft, but the significantly deeper exploration, combat, and items really make up for it. Terraria really feels like less of a "creativity toy" like Minecraft and much more like an actual game. Best of all, it's only $10! Go and get it. Now. Expand
  9. May 19, 2011
    Terraria takes the concept of Minecraft and makes it 2D. The art direction is reminiscent of some of the later offerings on the SNES, which in my book is a good thing. The game is about exploration and crafting, much like minecraft, though the crafting is done through an intuitive menu where it shows you what you can make, based on what materials you have. There is also a guide character that will give you helpful tips, but in the end is more a nuisance as he has the tendency to open the door to your house and let monsters in. I think an option to turn him off would have been a good thing. Still, the game is quite fun overall. Expand
  10. May 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've played this year. Combine features of old Legend of Zelda games with a 2D platformer and Minecraftesque building and mining and you get this. I was skeptical at first but that was completely gone after the first hour of playing. Whether you're building an awesome fortress, fighting one of the huge and difficult bosses, defending your fortress against an onslaught or zombies or goblins, or adventuring and looking for loot, it's rarely a dull moment.

$10 is definitely worth the money. If you thought Minecraft was too expensive but still wanted to play a similar game, get this, you won't regret it.
  11. May 17, 2011
  12. May 19, 2011
    This game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool like Minecraft, it's more about the adventure as you are rewarded more for exploring and combat and boss fights than anything else.

At first glance it may look like a 2D Minecraft but when you actually put time in to it and give it a chance you will see this game has an incredible amount of depth that Minecraft and most other games do not have.
  13. May 20, 2011
    this game is awesome. like mine craft meets Zelda type deal.i love how the mob re-spawn and bug while you try and build and explore makes the game a real fun challenge back when games were actually a challenge like NES days
  14. May 20, 2011
    I've been searching for a fun game that lasts a while and I found it. Crafting in this game keeps you occupied because finding the materials is both time consuming and challenging. Also, I find the graphics suitable for this type game where Minecraft was a bit too poor looking for me.
  15. May 21, 2011
    Terraria is not just another minecraft clone. It takes a few core aspects and turns it into a fantastic 2d side scrolling adventure. From boss fights, do dungeon exploration, anything is possible. The NPC's are quite useful, and with free content updates, this game will never become dull. The words "Minecraft clone" really hold no presence in this game. Anyone calling it a clone should honestly be told that Minecraft is just an Infiniminer clone. With Minecrafts success, it is no wonder more games with aspects of it would come out. I for one am glad that this game has gotten a large amount of sales, I love the genre and am happy Minecraft isn't the only game to take suit in the genre.

after 50+ hours, i can easily give this a 10 / 10
  16. Jul 21, 2011
    one of this games features is also one of its worst, when you see Terraria you think Minecraft and this is what bigs it up but also lets it down. I will start by saying I bought Terraria one week ago and when I first started I was like "what the hell do I do here" and before long I was devoured by zombies, I left it for about an hour until a friend noticed i had bought it and asked me how I liked it, after an in depth discussion and a link to the wiki I had another shot at it. With the help of the wiki and my friend I really got into the game, after four days playing we had beaten the eye of cthulhu, used the drops to make a better pick and the game spiralled upwards from there .
    Now, my first point was that when people play this and are expecting minecraft they get let down because this game isn't minecraft. When people play expecting a fun multiplayer sandbox based explorer they get given what they expect, a fun entertaining game.

In summary:-

Graphics - (9) - The graphics in Terraria are good for what they are trying to be, They aren't fancy but they accomplish what they set out to do.

Gameplay - (8) - Terraria is a bit of a slow burning start, with no real tutorial and most users having to look on the wiki. However when taught to use it even new players get the hang of it quickly and learn from there. The actual gameplay itself is the same, it starts slow but picks up speed as you progress and once you get near the end the gameplay is so fast when you see new players you remember how frustrated you got before you made the big push forward.

Concept - (9) - no matter how much you wish this was Minecraft it is not, and for good reason. Terraria developed its own identity a while ago and it may well be a channel for Minecraft veterans and vice versa but Terraria will keep growing and will surpass Minecraft until you hear whispers of "Hey, have you tried that game, what's it called.... oh yeah, Minecraft."
    "No, What is it." "It's like Terraria!"

General - (10) - With Terraria constantly expanding it will develop into a great game for all. It is consistently in the top ten games on steam and hits and stays at number one for a long time when a new update comes out. You are never short of a multiplayer game to join and its great fun with friends

Price - (10) - for £6/$10 there are few other games you could buy that give you this much enjoyment and if you got 3 friends together and bought the four pack then it would save you £1.50/$2.50 each. is that still too much, then trawl the steam forum and you can find people touting the remains of a four pack for considerably less, I grabbed a bargain and scored a copy for my brother for £1.25/$2

Want to play, Add me on steam. ID - Jimjam03
  17. May 22, 2011
    This game is the best $10 of gaming gold you could ever spend.

BAM! You're dumped in the wilderness with a few trees around the place. What-chu gonna do? Don't sniff the roses too long, those mushrooms can wait to be picked, you better get to chopping some wood and making a goddamn house with your BARE HANDS.

"But what about that awesome looking naturally formed cave over there?! I can
    see some clay pots that are begging for me to smash them?" I hear you ask? NO. The sun is setting soon, you woke up at mid-day and the zombies and demonic flying eyeballs are just waiting for the sun to set to get a taste of your tender meaty arms and legs!

Now that you're safe and sound, crying in the fetal position in the corner of your small hut while zombies bash at your door, you can think about what you're going to make of yourself. Are you gonna mine the crap out of the surrounding land finding ores, trinkets and riches? Are you going to scour the surface for the corruption that plagues the land with pure evil? Maybe you want to find the forbidden demon god dungeon of doom death hell at one of the corners of the map? Maybe you should just think of how to build yourself a second floor in your house for a buddy... go slow son. This world aint forgiving.
  18. Jun 20, 2011
    This game took me by surprise. I expected it to be a cheap, 2D minecraft clone, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it's so much more. This game is actually what I wished minecraft would have been. The exploration, treasures, and boss fights are all top notch, pun not intended, and lead to hours of fun.
  19. May 22, 2011
    This game is amazing. If you like Zelda, Castlevania, or Metroid you will love Terraria. Terraria is not like Minecraft. Terraria rewards you for exploring the world. It's more about the adventure and combat and boss fights than anything else. It is absolutely worth the ten euros.
  20. May 22, 2011
    Great game! A bit hard in the beginning. Looking forward to more content and updates. I hope the developers will build in a in-game server browser for multiplayer. Hopefully there will be a better newbie tutorial too. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet so i cant really say anything about it but I'm guessing that the game will work excellent in that mode.
  21. May 21, 2011
    It's not Minecraft, even though it very obviously borrows a lot of elements from it. It's got much more character development and feels a lot more fleshed out - more decoration, more different areas and enemies, special events and NPCs... It's very addictive, though it doesn't have the huge replay value of Minecraft. Regardless, it is absolutely worth the ten euros.
  22. May 22, 2011
    Even though "minecraft fanboyism" is somewhat understandable, most of the negative reviewers forget to mention that minecraft is nothing but a literal copy of infiminer. A small detail hypocrites like to ignore just so they can add more credit to their biased opinion, drowning it in demagogy.

The unbiased fact is that terraria is a great game. Sales and play statistics completely approve
    of it and even minecraft players (altho only the non fanboy ones) like to play it.
    As i write this, its the 5th most played game on steam, beating titles like team fortress 2, black ops, portal 2 and left4dead 2. If you like side scrolling-, sandbox-, adventure- games, you should check it out for sure.
  23. May 22, 2011
    I've been playing Terraria for almost a week now with a little over 20 hours invested and I can safely say this game has already and easily made my top 10 games of all time. With free content updates promised for the future, I suspect it will make it into my top 5 and eventually top 3. This is the type of game that I will gladly purchase copies for my friends, it deserves it. Games recently have a tendency to hold your hand throughout the entire game, taking away from the excitement and reward of figuring things out on your own. Terraria is not one of those games. Big studios should take note, it's not fancy graphics and gimmicks that make a game great, it's great game-play and Terraria is overflowing with it. GOTY for me. Expand
  24. May 26, 2011
    Great little game. I love the old school feel of the game. Control is responsive and the gear choices allow you to play more as a 2d shooter or 2d hack-n-slash. I've really enjoyed the exploration. If you like to dig tunnels and wonder what is just out of sight you will enjoy the exploration aspect of this game. Building up a house has been interesting and I like how expanding the house brings in different NPCs. There are number of random and triggered events to mix up the normal pacing. The game also supports multi-player which is golden for the co-op crowd.

Two features really increase re-playability of the game for me. The first feature is the random world generation. Each world is different. You can generate a new world whenever you feel like it. The second feature is that the character is persistent outside of the world. If you advance gear in one world you can take it any other world.

I have almost 40 hours into the game and still have much to explore, build, craft, and battle. For me the game was a complete steal at $10. Best of luck to the developers.
  25. May 22, 2011
    awesome game, must buy, and its only $10 on steam
  26. May 23, 2011
    The ones that says that Terraria is like Minecraft should go play the game before writing a "review".

Terraria is one of those special gems that you find. It's not expensive, it's extremely addicting and one helluva experience. It has all the building and mining of minecraft but with the equipment, combat, looting, and gameplay of a sidescrolling action RPG. the whole game feels more
    polished than Minecraft, anyway, with more items, less bugs, and more fun. It's only $10, it'd be worth at least $50. You should buy it. Now. Expand
  27. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simpel game but increibly addictive.
    I was on the fence with this one the game looked really bad judging of the screenshots but when you start tto play you won't stop.

people who say this is minecraft 2d are just being harsh there are lots of games that borrowed little idears from on another..........well all fps are wolfenstein rip offs period
  28. May 22, 2011
    If your fine with 2d and the graphics then this game is awesome. Has a lot of content! No major bugs. Awesome game! Has some similarities with Minecraft, but nothing what you could call "ripped off". It's just inspired by Minecraft. At least it seams so.
  29. May 22, 2011
    Amazing game. Anybody thinking it is a simple Minecraft clone in an attempt for cash is mentally challenged. If you cannot see the vast playability of this game then you have no care for learning a bit about the game. With a much deeper exploration and rpg style Terraria is a unique experience. Taking actual gameplay and making it exciting, challenging. There is general sense of difficulty that is strengthened by a lighter death penalty. For 20 dollars this game is amazing, for 10 even more. If you are still wondering whether it is a cheap 2D Minecraft knockoff, get real. These developers know what they are doing and have executed it magnificently. Pick this game up, now! Expand
  30. May 23, 2011
    I have a nasty little cold atm, and I bought this game on Friday and have put in 23 hours by Sunday night.
    This game is quite simply amazing. I love the fact that it is challenging. My only two gripes so far are no Gamepad support, and I have yet to be able to play Multiplayer for some reason I'm still working out. Otherwise I would give this game a perfect 10. This game is an OCD'er's wet
    dream. :D Expand
  31. May 22, 2011
    This little time-waster uses ideas from every game you ever loved and creates a truly addicting gameplay-experience. The graphics are simple and compare to what you might have seen on the SNES and I am loving it. Terraria may be the best 2D-game of this year.
  32. May 23, 2011
    How come the AAA titles can never explore new mechanics in this way? Incredibly engaging and entertaining game - made even better by the addition of some friends.

It really is a Roguelike all grown up with a lot less frustration.

Also, for those reviewing without having played the game, saying it is a Minecraft clone. Please, leave - Notch would be embarrassed of you.
  33. Feb 1, 2014
    I have lost many hours on this game that I would care to admit.
    People compare this to Minecraft. This is an insult to Terraria.
    The content you get from this 2D side scroller is enormous.
    Don't want to say to much more except that if you don't buy and play this game, you are truly missing out.
  34. Jun 9, 2011
    I've been craving a 2D SNES looking game for awhile and here it is. This game sold me after I watched the trailer and the $10 for this game was well spent. It's much so different from minecraft. It has more emphasis on combat with a lot of different tools/weapons/Spells. It still has a good sandbox side to it but minecraft would be better for building as it is 3D. I guess the best way to describe what this game is like is a Zelda/castelvania as far as getting more life and useful tools in a progressive way. You are constantly trying to get better armor through mining rarer ores or killing bosses. The developers are hard at work at all times updating the game with more content for free. I was kind of skeptical at first about buying this game as there weren't any review on release date but It was worth more than the $10 dollars. I has a lot to do, a lot of re-playability, and multiplayer with randomly generated worlds to sandbox in and co-op. If your not sure about picking it up, "just do it." You won't regret it. Expand
  35. May 23, 2011
    Its a simplistic (at first glance) 2d minecraft, but after playing a while you will see its fairly complex. Being a 2d game its loaded with features and little perks that make it enjoyable like no other game. You start of with an axe and a pick. No tutorial at all, there is a guide, but he is not too much help. After beating the first night or two, you will be sucked into the 2d world for longer time. There are many more raw materials and recipes than in minecraft and the world is much more aggressive. Lots of mobs try to kill you. That is balanced out by the fact, that death only resets your position to the spawn point, and makes you drop half of your money. The worlds are HUGE (even the small one), therefore the way back to your last position may take a while.
    The biggest drawback is the fact, there is no dedicated server software, but that probably is just question of time. You can start multiplayer game by hosting it on your desktop.
  36. May 23, 2011
    Different Than Minecraft -- Terraria is a solid game that stands on its own and delivers more fun than $10 could get you anywhere else.

Gameplay Summary -- Terraria combines classic platforming and RPG elements with sandbox gameplay in a randomly generated world. Most of the game can be experienced in Singleplayer, with Multiplayer being identical except for opening up the optional
    player-vs-player combat. Progression -- Progressing through the game brings you to explore deeper underground, farther outward on the surface, and maybe.. up? ;) Your character can be improved by crafting or finding new gear and by increasing your health and mana pools. Gear ranges from tools, to armor, to special accessories that can improve or alter character's mobility and stats. Certain areas remain impassible until you've acquired the right gear or defeated one of the game's three (for now..) boss monsters. Graphics -- 2D sprite artwork, strongly reminiscent of FF4 (FF2 US) and FF6 (FF3 US) from back in the SNES/Sega Genesis days, but fairly well done. This may bother some gamers, but certainly not all.

If you've never played Minecraft (or if you're new to indie games) --
    It's worth noting Terraria is an Indie game that only just entered development back in January 2011, so it will be a little rough around the edges compared to your typical big-budget game. Your first few minutes in Terraria will likely be a bit frustrating. I recommend you check out some "Surviving your first night in Terraria" youtube videos, or other tutorials just to get started. Once you get into the swing of things, the game becomes less daunting and far more enjoyable.

Since some of people are wondering why bother if its just like Minecraft (it's not!), here's a short summary of my opinion on major differences -- - Minecraft is better for epic buildings & creations, and its gameplay is almost purely "sandbox" elements. Exploring is mostly sight-seeing. Singleplayer gets stale fast, yet Multiplayer lacks features found in Singleplayer.

- Terraria is better for adventuring, and its gameplay is a combination of platforming, combat, RPG-ish progression and "sandbox" elements. Exploring is a combination of sight-seeing, loot discovery, and game progression. Singleplayer doesn't get stale nearly as fast, and Multiplayer has all of the features.

Conclusion --- If any of the gameplay described sounds interesting to you, and the graphics don't bother you, then this game is easily worth the $10. The developer seems responsive and fixed several previously unknown bugs the day after launch. As a bonus, they have clearly stated the intent to add content to the game post launch, for free. If you're on the fence, check out a few of the videos, and realize that what you see is much more fun if you're the one playing!
  37. May 25, 2011
    The reason I say Terraria is a beautiful game isn't because of the glorious pixel art; although the combination of pixel art, procedural generation, and smart use of lighting and particle systems are beautiful, but because many of the design decisions are just precisely right. For a game developed over 5 months by 4 people, it shows an incredible level of maturity.

One of the few things
    Terraria gets wrong is that it doesn't explain the most straight forward thing you need to learn: which is that the mouse cursor is how you primarily interact with the world, limited for the most part by the requirement that your avatar be in relatively close proximity. Of course, close proximity in a game of plunging chasms, flooded caverns and spawning monsters is itself a challenge, but there is no point which so far I've felt like the control scheme has been frustrating or unresponsive.

Like Minecraft, Terraria uses its procedurally generated backdrop as a palette for you to build and dig, but that's where many of the similarities end. Minecraft remains a toy sandbox (once the thrill and challenge of the first 30 minutes wears off), Terraria an open ended game. I've been meaning to write an article about the importance of that key verb 'dig': because it lets you throw off the shackles of required connectivity that makes much procedural content generation so frustrating (to design and to play in) and lets you generate glorious playgrounds which ultimately may be broken, but which the player has the tools to fix. Where Angband has gone wrong is digging is slow and unrewarding, Spelunky makes the mistake of limiting the level size, but here the maps are effectively limitless in size (in reality, just really huge - use the 3rd party mapping tool - just once - to display a map you've spent 3 or 4 hours exploring to see what I mean), and for the most part well-connected enough so that it is clear where you need to dig to hollow out a pathway or bring down a cascade of sand, but still big enough to make choosing a random direction and tunnelling an exercise in patience and frustration and occasional delight (as so it should be).

Terraria makes the same smart decision that Minecraft does (and where Love goes horribly wrong) by using its pixel art assets to make it really clear what everything is: here are blocks of dirt, sand and rock, this is tree, grass and flower, and not only are they clearly delineated, but the clever crafting system makes these differences important. I say everything is differentiated: but at the same time rock, and the various ores are similar enough so that you need one next to the other to distinguish the two, forcing you to be keenly observant when you explore underground. Many times, I've paused at a rocky outcrop on the surface that I've run over tens of times, and suddenly realised that it was a valuable iron deposit.

Exploring underground is as glorious as it could be: musically, rhythmically, the deep, but survivable drops from tunnel system to tunnel system, the splashes of unseen enemies in murky pools, the lighting system which limits your exploration by the torches you bring with you (or have wood and the foresight to be able to construct on the way), the frequent rewards of pots to smash (another Zelda touch to go with the swords swishing through glass and the slime enemy design), and the glorious highs of a single hidden reward which can make a whole trip worthwhile. What has ultimately limited my descents, as well as my overland trips, is water, which a clever take on swimming prevents you from moving quite as freely as you'd have hoped, not to mention limiting your breath. What makes this especially interesting is that it is often water that I've inadvertently let lose from an aquifer higher in the dungeon, which has sunk to the bottommost depths of the level preventing me progressing.

I've begun exploring the [redacted] you can find on the surface, destroying my first [redacted] with some clever [redacted] placement, and I've found enough [redacted] that the first boss monster has noticed my presence. The surface [redacted] is enough of a challenge in its own right, taking away much of your usual toolset as well as more dangerous enemies, environment and geography; and I'm pausing for air before attempting what, given my equipment (copper and iron, and a nifty magical ranged weapon), sounds like it will be a challenge. Beyond that, I've got more bosses to fight and biomes to explore, and many more magical items to find.

But I'm worried that I may have already spoiled too much of the game for you. I strongly urge you to stay as spoiler free as possible when you play.
  38. May 28, 2011
    Simply amazing game!
    I haven't had so much fun with a game in a long time!!
    The game like it is now is 5 times worth its money, and there's still so much more content on the way!
  39. Jun 9, 2011
    Most people are comparing this game to Minecraft, but this game is no Minecraft. Minecraft is about building, mining, and some other stuff. Terraria is about exploring this amazing world and is pushing to the RPG side instead of survival. The game itself is not too unique, but makes up in gameplay style and endless multiplayer fun (Ignoring the constant server whitelists and overprotective server mods), it is amazing fun to play with your friends, and you could bring over your singleplayer character into multiplayer worlds.

People compare this to Minecraft because it has place and destroy block system similar to Minecraft, but Minecraft just defined a sub-genre that is now a block creative mode, making it more common among more Indie developers.

The graphics to this game are somewhat beautiful, reminding me of the classic JRPG games on older consoles. The game runs smoothly on low-end PCs, and there is always some cranny to explore. The art is done quite beautiful and makes you seem enchanted in this majestically done game.

This game is a definite must play, plus you would be supporting Indie Developers.
  40. Jun 23, 2011
    I bought this game one week after it released and have enjoyed it tremendously. Yes its a simple 2d side scroller but its much more complex and winding than that. I have about 50 hours logged on it already and I am still planning on playing for at least that much more before I get tired of it (patch 1.05 coming out soon!

$10 buy it!!!!!
  41. May 29, 2011
    This game is great. Other sandbox games have a weak adventure part, but Terraria gives you the possibility to create and defend your world. Today, the developer wrote about his feature plans for the game and all of them sound absolutely great. I haven't played Terraria online for a second. I still stick to the offline part, waiting for great new content. I would definitely pay for it because i have only paid 10â Expand
  42. Jun 8, 2011
    I'm not going to lie, at first I was really turned off by Terraria. Why would anyone want to play a 2D minecraft clone when we already got minecraft? Then I took another look at it because my friend insisted it was amazing. I watched the trailer, and started picking up on things that definitely weren't MC like. I started poking around and giving it a chance. Now I'm hooked, it's such an awesome adventure game! There's so much to explore and see, always something new, it's hard to get bored. Terraria doesn't deserve to be held up to MC; It's a fine adventure sandbox game all unto itself either way. Now I did poke into the wiki a bit, and started noticing just how much there was to see and do. I recommend you do what I am doing and keep your game as spoiler free as possible. You'll really only have to look at the wiki if you have honestly run out of things to do. Play it in multiplayer if you can as well, that alone really helped improve my experience. Expand
  43. May 23, 2011
    Fantastic little game, well worth the money, at the very minimum you should be finding 30+ hours of play, and the time will fly by. Really good use of 2D space, and a very nice progression system.

It is worth noting that at the time of posting, every single review below "7" is a zero, all but one yelling Minecraft rip-off.

While there are many similarities to be drawn with Minecraft,
    such as resource gathering, and "blocks", it is in no way a clone or rip-off, and stands as its own game.
    If one must demand a comparison, where Minecraft often tend to focus on the building side of things, this game is an adventuring game. You spending a lot more time willingly fighting monsters, getting better weapons armour, and special accessories with unique functions. You push down (and occasionally upwards or sideways) going between different zones, with different strengths of challenge, and a different environment.
    With areas like corruption, which contain deep chasms which are nigh impossible to explore early game (though when you do, you can create yet another zone by calling down a meteorite), which can spread, and floating islands up in the sky, exploring is a very important factor of the game.

It is not perfect, and given a more precise scale such as percentage, it would have been given a 98-99, but then no game I've ever played has deserved 100. Curse rounding.

As far as flaws go, lack of ability to change resolution without 3rd party assistance is a little annoying, especially with multiple screens.
    It is also very occasionally buggy, mostly on the multiplayer, but it is being updated and patch, with new content as well as fixes.
    With the random world generation, certain necessary advancement tools can be hard to find (namely the demon altar), but this is solved by being able to share your character across world, and in your friends worlds, massively increasing chance of access to one.
    Crafting is very experimental. You often get very little indication what a craftable item is used for, and the crafting paths necessary for items, 'less it is a final usable thing, meaning that items like beds can be hard to discover, as you need to create a largish amount of silk beforehand, despite not knowing why. Either an attitude of willing to waste mats experimenting, or use of the wiki will be needed for crafting, if you want everything, however, everything completely necessary is self explanatory.
  44. Jun 3, 2011
    An amazing game, the art, sounds, and everything is well done. The concept is original and well executed, Notch could not have done better. There is not much to say in an in depth manner, it is just simply fun and addicting. The only negative thing I CAN say about this game is that the multiplayer is virtually unadministered and unadministerable. However, a recent update added a console and some commands along with it, hopefully this will grow into enabling the proper administration of servers. That is the only reason I give it a 9/10. Expand
  45. Jun 5, 2011
    Terraria is like a big box of Lego. You're free to explore the world and defeat the monster that lurk underground or you can just build whatever you want.

The crafting system is great, the music is nice and the developers are providing free update.
  46. Jun 9, 2011
    Really like any indie game out there it either drags you right in or you can never quite click with it at all. The game provides no coherent information to fully enjoy it so you may probably find yourself sifting through the many forums via steam and it's parent site. When you get over that gripe, and the slightly irritating multiplayer aspect (It's much easier to download and play multiplayer with a program called Hamachi), you get a game with as much character as Minecraft but with inverse interests: the building aspect is nowhere near as satisfying as with Minecraft but the simple yet effective combat and multitude of enemies and some challenge in this respect keep you interested, and addicted to this game, which I can safely say is not the kind of game you should just at face value. Expand
  47. May 25, 2011
    "Let's take Minecraft, rip everything that's GOOD from it, make it 2D, then add fancy weapons and NPCs". Way to go. 10/10 - Best game that I've played all year.
  48. Jun 18, 2011
    one thing :the negative reviews are **** from people that only play CoD and Shooting games that think games are just as good as their graphics
    this game is no 2D minecraft rip-off, this game has bosses, awesome end-game and so on. it's able to have much more content than minecraft in less time just because it's in 2D.
    minecraft and terraria are totally different games if you play them
    enough to know them well
    minecraft has a strong building side terraria has a strong adventure side

both games are great
    i would give this game a 11 in 10 but it's impossible
  49. Jun 2, 2011
    Its obvious from moon, Terraria is a labor of love! Its so rare these days.
    Made in less than six months, Terraria describes *basic* form of ultimate sandbox game. Playing it, I felt again like a kid building castles of sand. It doesnt rush you, it doesnt introduce cheap/hyped story lines, it doesnt force you into any silly classes and is not obsessed with redundant numbers. Its well
    balanced and a pleasure to play. Worlds are literally huge and although game is stable and released, developers are promising inspired new content (not DLCs or some similar marketing/cash milking crap). Expand
  50. Jun 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fun game. It plays like a mixture of infiniminer, spelunky, and castlevania. Yes, yes, infiniminer and minecraft have blocks. What they DON'T have is a comfortable platforming experience, interesting items, or a fun loot system. A spreading corruption across the land, invasions, meteors with mineable ore, falling stars, randomly placed chests, fun monsters and bosses... These are all gimmicks, but I think they've really made the game. Expand
  51. May 31, 2011
    I cant believe people would rate this a zero... hell even if its not your cup of tea I can't imagine rating lower than 6 or 7...

This game is great... more action than Minecraft and feels significantly different. Not as much for building things and more about the adventure. Absolute steal at $10.
  52. Jun 4, 2011
    The first screen shot of the game that I saw didn't draw me in, but the video had me interested -Minecraft meets Castlevania. It provides a sandbox to (literally) dig in, plenty to build, new and surprising enemies to defeat and plenty of rare items to discover. It is simple in its concept but robust in depth. The UI is well-done and it feels quite polished. Death is handled very well, with the player losing no inventory, but dropping half of their money, which can be recovered. The game delivers, and after a week I've already recommended it to one friend and gifted it to another. Multiplayer offers many opportunities for hilarity. Expand
  53. Jun 5, 2011
    Terraria is an absolutely amazing game as a retro hybrid of minecraft. Its smooth, crisp gameplay, catchy music, and diverse concepts/elements provide a completely unparalelled gameplay experience for all ages.
  54. Jun 5, 2011
    Terraria is an awesome, Minecraft Based 2D Game, with help of popularity of minecraft this game has sold 2 millions in first days of launch, but it is more than a minecraft based game, it is really awesome how well planned is this little game and for 10USD you will get a lot of fun single player and multiplayer
  55. Jun 13, 2011
    Simply one of the best games i played this year! Exploring is even more fun then in minecraft!
    Also it's 2D you do not lose all of the possibility of building!
    The water physics are just amazing! ;)

10.0
  56. Jun 14, 2011
    Some people call terraria a Minecraft wanna be a Minecraft copycat in all honesty its a game within itself yeah it might have some aspects of Minecraft but terraria just has a larger selection of options in the game play no offence to notch he did a awesome job on Minecraft but the makers of terraria relogic i believe and red or are they the same i dont know ut they just blew all other 2D platform based games out of the water good job guys Expand
  57. Jun 15, 2011
    How could ANYONE who played this game give it a 0? Seriously one of the BEST games I have played in years! This game blends arcade action, strategy and exploration very well - it has great depth and when you get tired of all that? Take your time and build a castle! TOTALLY AWESOME I'm not fooling, this game came out two weeks ago and steam is reporting I have played 100 hours and I have yet to see the end game content. and its only $10... you just cant beat that - I LOVE TERRARIA! Expand
  58. Jun 18, 2011
    Great game. I was an avid Minecraft player, and at first had my doubts. I at first thought this was just a Minecraft rip-off. But boy, was I wrong. This is one of the greatest games that I have played in a long while. To those who think this is just 2D Minecraft, think again. The pixel graphics are great, and are perfect for this type of game. This is like a Minecraft-RPG-Platformer sort-of remix. In conclusion, buy this game. This great indie game is completely worth the 10 dollars I paid for it. If you are a fan of Minecraft, then this game is for. Even if you haven't played Minecraft, buy this game. I can almost guarantee that you will like it. Expand
  59. Mar 30, 2013
    Terraria is a really fun game and should not be determined by the graphics. You can do anything from building a castle to making a hellevator. There is no end to this spectacular game
  60. Jul 17, 2011
    I'm gonna give this game a 10/10. It deserves a 8 or a 9 but after seeing how those spambots gave it 0, lowering it's score by a handful and spamming "minecraft clone" I can't help but to feel sorry for the developers... falling on User Score below 8 is devastating for such a promising game.
  61. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the great sandbox adventure game,can't stop once start!!
    totally addicted with it! After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it
  62. May 26, 2011
    Even though there is a lot of content, there could be more. I was hopelessly hooked and managed to get through the content in about 2 days of play. Although for the low price tag, it's still completely worth it. Since it's a sandbox game, I can just start a new game, giving myself my own new goals, even though I've already seen all of the content.
  63. May 31, 2011
    Great game to play with friends. I have been playing this since it came out with a few buddies of mine, and Its been a blast. This game definitely isnt for everyone, but if you value exploration, and rewarding gameplay then this is for you. Also the game is still technically unfinished as the developers have said to expect regular content updates from here on out. Even if they dont update the game its still an excellent purchase for 10$ ive already logged a good 40+ hours. thats more than most 60$ console games already. Expand
  64. Jun 19, 2011
    Beware to start up Terraria. It is highly addictive, eats up your time like nothing else and is some good old-fashioned fun while doing so. A definitive buy.
  65. Jun 19, 2011
    The game is good, however, the developers are complete moronic idiots to say the least. It is a shame that they took such a potential looking game, and turned it into a money making machine, not giving a damn about their users. For instance, they 'copyright claim' every negative review of the game on youtube. I got my account banned because I criticized their game for having poor replay value. (Which it does, once you reach the endgame)

For that reason, these developers do not deserve your 10$, go spend it on a game where the developers will actually care about their customers.
  66. Jun 20, 2011
    Awesome game. If you like good and funny games try it. You can't be wrong with thist one.
    If you fail at life and like boring things, you can always "play" minecraft.
  67. Jun 20, 2011
    Terraria is an amazing game. It had me hooked in the first minute there is just so much to do. Also this game is nothing like minecraft and they shouldn't be compared.
  68. Jul 2, 2011
    The reviews that say "This game sucks because bla bla bla and horrible graphics" amuse me very much. This game has a FEW resemblances to Minecraft, but think about this, with no Mods. Does Minecraft have Bosses? Does Minecraft have Dungeons? Does Minecraft have Jungles? Does Minecraft have Corruption? Now here are some smaller details. Does Minecraft have Tables? Does Minecraft have Chairs? Does Minecraft have 7 different types of armor? All of those are NO. Sure, Terraria borrows some unique features from Minecraft but Terraria also has a boatload of unique features of it's own. Also, to that graphics thing, IT'S 2D! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT YOU CoD FAN BOYS?! Expand
  69. Jul 3, 2011
    As one of the very few people online who hate Minecraft, I was not expecting to like Terraria. At first glance, it looks exactly like a 2D version of everybody's favorite virtual Lego game with all the mining, crafting, building, and pointless sandboxing. Don't let that fool you however; Terraria and Minecraft are as different as Super Mario Bros and Mega Man. While Minecraft focuses more on building amazing structures, Terraria is more centered around combat and exploration. It's still a sandbox game, so you're free to do whatever, but I enjoyed exploring the massive world I randomly generated in Terraria more than I did in Minecraft. Unlike Minecraft, there are more monsters to fight and there are even boss battles to spice things up a bit. Don't let whatever impressions you have of Minecraft stop you from giving Terraria a try. I was a bit skeptical when I threw my $7 (Steam sale) at Terraria, but I'm immensely satisfied with how far my purchase has gotten me. Expand
  70. Jul 4, 2011
    This is a fantasic open world 2D side scroller. Lots of loot and mobs, many areas to explore and endless building options. Has great online multiplayer options and great PVP. I put in over 100 hours before I felt like I've seen it all, and thats not bad for 10 bucks if you ask me (which you didn't)... Its worth checking out

(Written as of version1.0.5.)
  71. Jun 16, 2011
    At first glance many will see what looks to appear to be a 2D Minecraft clone, which will leave you sighing at any lack of originality, and if this was your first assumption, you're wrong. Terraria, simply, is much more accessible than Minecraft. It feels more like an adventure game, and crafting isn't guessing / wiki'ing it. Where Minecraft may be more successful in the construction aspects of the mining series, Terraria shines in the adventure portions. Collapse
  72. Sep 11, 2011
    Don't be fooled, its not some minecraft rip-off with 2D graphics, its actually so diffirent that you might love it even if you hated minecraft, and otherwise. But here you have more stuff to do, other than just building.
  73. Jun 16, 2011
    Great game if you have the patience to get through the first few nights, also you need friends to play this or it's pretty boring, I love the new combat addition.
  74. Jun 17, 2011
    I always judge a game after about an hour of game play, and on my opinion this game is really good. I've heard many reviewers go to far with their reviews and I decided to try it for my self. It has a lot more than MineCraft. It has adventure, better combat, chests deep underground with cool stuff, heart crystals, and many more. You should go try it for yourself. It is definitely worth the 10$.
  75. Jun 23, 2011
    It's enraging to see all the MINECRAFT RIPOFF!!!1!!! 0 reviews.

Let's get this straight, the thing that Terreria are Minecraft share, you can build, you can dig, you can craft.
    Does that seem like general similarities? That's because they are. This game is no where near a Minecraft rip off. At the moment Minecraft is a sandbox building game. Terreria is a 2D RPG where you can build.
    The focus of the two games are very different.

I've sunk many hours into this game, if you get a good world going with your friends you'll be up until the early hours playing this, there's a lot to do and discover and the frequent updates only add more.

Granted once you complete it you might want to leave it a while before coming back, but at £6 I'm not concerned, I "completed" it about a month back and since then it's been hugely updated so I'll soon return.
  76. Nov 1, 2011
    I'm only writing this review because night has started in my Terraria. And I can happily tell you that Terraria is unique and near nostalgic in itself. Are you a crafter? An adventurer? Or a fighter? It's all up for you to decide on what you become in your own sandbox like world. The concept of Terraria is refining, the execution is majestic. Now if you excuse me, I have to fight some eyeballs.
  77. Nov 11, 2012
    Bought this baby for $10 on steam sale. Spent more hours on it than games I've bought for $80. Survival, mixed with adventure. not to mention the freaking soundtrack!
  78. Aug 7, 2012
    Unfortunately some of the below reviewers lack the attention span to play the game for more than a few minutes. If they did, I believe they would truly find the game interesting. Once all of the hard work is over, it pays off with a very fun experience that may not be completely original, but earns its respective awards.

I used to be that much of a Minecraft fanboy before, too. When I
    finally bought it...it paid off. Although it's 2D, it pulls it off with tremendous extravagance. The gameplay, after a few moments of slowness in the beginning, turns into a rapidly proceeding thrill. The inventive enemies, bosses, weapons and potions help keep the game competitive, while still allowing you to just build to your heart's content. The vast selection of items, materials, accessories and more present you with a nearly unlimited amount of fun to explore and expand with your own original creations and ideas. The physics of the game are quite advanced, and if used right, can be played to an advantage in the game.

All-in-all, for an Indie game, it's an amazing production. It's a shame that it had to end so abruptly, but Redigit had his own family matters to deal with. Nevertheless, community content and the arbitrary generation is enough to keep me satisfied for a long time! 10/10!
  79. Jul 6, 2011
    Don't listen to the naysayers that claim Terraria is a 2D Minecraft-rip off. The only thing those two games share are blocks and crafting.

Terraria can be summarized as a combination of 32-bit Legends of Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, a bit of Mario, but with the crafting and construction as inspired by Minecraft. You start off with an axe and a pick and you must construct a home for you
    and your eventual NPC companions to live in. You explore dungeons, and corruptions of nature for magical treasures. You gather ores and dig deeper and deeper to uncover the Earth's secrets and collect resources for forging new armors, weapons, and tools. And then you construct megaproject castles, forts, bunkers, sky cities, etc! Your imagination is the limit!

And you can do all of this with as many friends as you want on your own servers! You will fall in love with the art style, the quirky music, and the charm of the world. Well worth its affordable price.
  80. Aug 6, 2011
    Interesting game with a sand box style that has a much heavier idea of combat than minecraft had. I prefer this 2d setting to any other virtual sandbox's so far personally.
  81. Aug 19, 2011
    WOW! For $10 I got 40 hours of non-stop fun from this game, it was very well thought out and this would have to be one of my favourite games of all time!
    I recommend this most definitely to anyone!
  82. Aug 24, 2011
    A great game, especially for the price. Some may say its a ripoff of Minecraft, but I would have to disagree, I own both games and have spent hundreds of hours in both. Think of it as a 2D version of minecraft that had much less emphasis on building things, and much more emphasis on adventure and combat. if you liked Minecraft, you will very likely love Terraria as well. The only real bad thing is when you have collected pretty much everything... because at that point, it doesnt really feel like you have all too much left to do in the game. Expand
  83. Oct 26, 2011
    very fun game that feels like an epic adventure in 2d. you gather resources to build your home and equipment in order to fight stronger and stronger enemies. there is a sense of discovery as you dig through the world looking for special items and precious metals. there are so many things to do and you have total freedom like minecraft. it has a periodic updates and there is lots of custom content put out by the community, so it never gets boring. Expand
  84. Oct 27, 2011
    Ce jeu est une excellente alternative à Minecraft, tout en restant éloigné de son principe, il faut garder à l'esprit que MC n'a pas inventé le Sand Box, loin de là, et qu'il s'en inspiré de Terraria pour sa toute nouvelle dimension RPG.
  85. Nov 9, 2011
    Tired of companies like Activision and EA selling you rehashes at $60 and then expecting you to pay much much more with content they held back? Yes they want a future of a copy and paste $100 game. Well, Terraria shows you how games should be. Not only is it only $10this game updates very frequently and they are huge updates. Best of all, they are free! So much more content in these free "DLC" than the big corporations give you, and this is made by a very small team. If they can afford to give you free DLC, surely Activision and EA can afford to give it to you. Nope. They just want as much money as they can get. Terraria is an amazing game. I have over 160 hours logged, according to Steam. It is a 2d sandbox game with unlimited possibilities. Literally! They update it with new content so often! If you defeat all the bosses and explore every biome, you can look for rare items, build with endless possibilities, and best of all, you can play online. There is always something you can do if you get bored. This is the best $10 investment I've ever made. $10 won't even get you a crappy map pack in Call of Duty. Try this game, you will get hooked. You will then realize you don't have to play the sellout junk Activision and EA are trying to sell you (and milk you for all you've got). Graphics don't make a game. It's all about game play. Expand
  86. Dec 21, 2012
    Master builder? 2 dimensional space? Aside from false advertising, Terraria is a great adventure game. You'll spend a lot of time with it since the road to end-game is a long one, but the road is varied and engaging.
  87. Oct 6, 2014
    Terraria is totally a great game. I love the background music, and the game play is really smooth, and fighting those enemies is just exciting. I have already bought it on Steam, App Store, and Windows Phone Store.
  88. Jul 13, 2011
    one of the funnest games i've ever played. i never thought a 2D minecraft would be fun or even possible but they did it. also the price is fantastic, definitely worth $10
  89. Dec 15, 2011
    This is more than what most people call it - a minecraft ripoff in 2D. True enough, it's 2D and it has building mechanisms similar to minecraft, but there're more. It has a social interface similar to Animal Crossing: Wild World, where, after building your own town and clearing achievements, NPCs will start moving into your houses, provided that the conditions are met (of course, the social interface isn't as full developed as Animal Crossing). It also as a mining interface similar to motherlord, the acclaimed flash game in miniclip. You get to dig deep down into the earth for rare minerals and ores, and you can craft your items with those materials. It also has a 2D fighting interface similar to maple story, where you battle monsters and creeps in this side-scrolling game. As such, it's really is not simply a minecraft rip off in 2D, but a hybrid of many other titles that are acclaimed in their own genre of game. Get it, especially if it's on discount and you have the cash to spare. Expand
  90. Jan 1, 2012
    This game may appear to be a minecraft ripoff, but as it turns out , this it the most amazing game ive played in awhile. There is much more content then there is on minecraft and its just....So amazingly fun.
  91. Jul 2, 2011
    This game is simply amazing. It takes a few hours to figure everything out, but then it just gets better and better. If you think the idea of a 2D platformer / RPG / Minecraft mash-up sounds interesting, you should definitely play this game.
  92. Nov 28, 2011
    Very immersive and expansive sandbox game with soooo much to explore and do. If you're iffy on it or hate it or have friends that do, think about this: Terreria and Minecraft both have bad graphics right? No, wrong, completely wrong. Think about Terraria or Minecraft with good graphics. Now think about cutting down a tree or mining some ore or whatnot etc. Now think about doing it in HD. In HD, --depending on the style/way it's rendered what engine or modeling/animation program is used etc.,-- it'd be impossible to reasonable integrate the whole sandbox aspect that Terraria and Minecraft both have somewhat in common (simply put they're both open world sandboxes that heavily involve exploring etc). Lets say you're mining some ___ ore in "HD", How could you tell how much you've mined over a period of X seconds? In 3D, how could that be represented? 1 block? 1 Pound? 1 Ore? In Minecraft, simple is better (i.e. 1 block, which is very easily visually represented, as it is in Terraria) else the whole sandbox idea would be hard to flow with, as 1 block is a fairly easy unit of measurement. In Terraria, sure it's 2D (not NES/SNES graphics, not DOS, they're just 2D), but the sprites are original and good quality (for sprites, don't say anything if it includes "bad sprites". They are sprites, they're not going to be Ultra High quality, they're 2D, like the terrain in most "3D" games (flat texture that, on flat ground, doesn't involve much texture wrapping). Terraria has options for Small, Medium and Large worlds, and with the size increases, distances to certain areas might also increase. There are very many areas to explore, a multitude of things to find, craft and so on, and with the inclusion of the 1.1 update in ~2 days (222 new items, 3 new NPC's (minecraft doesn't have interactive NPC's in the first place) , that vast amount of original content and gameplay will only increase, as well as a visual improvement to Terraria's visually pleasing 2D graphics. This is NOT a minecraft ripoff, it is a sandbox, minecraft is also a sandbox. The graphics are not bad, they are 2D, and they are good quality for 2D at that. Terraria has a vast amount of room for exploration, there are bosses, multiple mobs with drops (forgot to mention minecraft lacks a combat system, and no, killing a spider, skeleton, creeper, zombie or whatever is NOT combat). In Terraria, mobs occur regularly above ground at night, or during the day in the corruption biome, and are always found underground. In addition, when you die in Terraria, you lose half the amount of coins (which can be stored in chests) you have on you, (I don't care if losing everything is realistic if you lose everything). If you want to die like you do in minecraft, wait until the 1.1 update and enable Hardcore mode (player explodes upon death, and loses everything in inventory). One last note on the graphics, minecraft isn't high quality either, and IMO, it's easier to have a good looking "lower quality" 2D game, then it is to have a good looking "lower quality" 3D game, because it's easier to put more detail into sprites and whatnot then upscaling textures (what's the point of a HD texture on a flat out cube?). If you're thinking of buying Terraria, IMO it's worth $10, it hasn't gotten me bored yet, while I was bored of minecraft forever (personal opinion though) and while Terraria takes ~30mins-1hour (depending on how far you get) to get into it, once you're into it, its completely addictive. and a nice thing about the Developers is that they support the game as long as fans support them with an interest in Terraria, and suggestions (such as new in game mechanics, items, improvements, anything really) can be made and the Devs are happy to include such wanted new features in official updates. No complications with mods, user created content, it's all handled directly by the Devs and implemented directly into the core game. As a final note, Multiplayer in Terraria is like Single player with someone else's character in your world at the same time as you (CO-OP gameplay, or PVP, if you want.) Expand
  93. Jul 29, 2011
    Quite simply it is fun. I like the randomness of the worlds and the general feel of the game is
    "8-Bit". The music is catchy and there is alot to do. Kill creeps, explore and craft better tools
    and weapons. If you have any interest in games it is worth looking into.
  94. Jun 20, 2011
    Picked up the game for the price of a good meal and progressed through it steadily. It has a nice combat setup similar to the Castlevania games on DS. Overall it felt unfinished at first, but now the game is seeing BIG regular updates each week, over 60 hours into it and still feeling great that new content is coming, already at patch 1.05 and the content and improvements just keep flowing, this game is leaving Minecraft in it's dust trail for me.

This games ratings have been flooded with what I can only describe as brain damaged geeks rating at 0 to bring the average score down, this games score will only improve over time and to rub it in Notch is taking ideas from it already.

You can play and like both games, competition is good for both games, even though they are so different in gameplay only the block placing is similar.
  95. Jun 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terraria is a Great game with a huge Depth.
    The thing about Minecraft istn't right at all.... Minecraft in 2D? the only reference to Minecraft is the Blocky World and thats all. and while Minecraft Focuses on Building stuff in 3D, Terraria focuses on Adventure, awesome items to play with, Plenty of Monsters and even Bosses.
    Terraria does everything Notch (Developer of Minecraft) wasn't able to do in Minecraft.
    He can't bring fun in the game by the meaning of Adventure there is just no Adventure in MInecraft but in Terraria its full of Adventure and thats what makes the People play it. there are just so many more Furniture, Weapons, Accesoires, Armor types and other Funny items you can use and its not just "Search for Diamonds and then you can Build what you want" its a game for Adventurers and Explorer.
    The Haters are given a 0 just because they cant accept innovations Rating a game 0 because it reminds them of Minecraft is just not acceptable.
    "Look its a Computer Game it must be a Copy of PONG!"
    and Minecraft is like many say just a Copy of Infiniminer you cant DENY that but i dont rate Minecraft 0 and Infiniminer 10 just because Minecraft is a copy of it.
    And why not play both games? you have an awesome 3D game for Building and gathering Diamonds
    and on the other side a Refreshing 2D game for Adventuring Exploring and gathering lots of cool stuff
    every game has its own awesome things and there are people who like adventuring more than building and vice versa but you cant just Deny the other fact because it reminds you of some other games.
  96. Aug 2, 2011
    More directed action and adventure than Minecraft, this 2D platformer is part Metroid, part Minecraft, and all good. Easily one of the best games of 2011.
  97. Sep 1, 2011
    It's pretty obvious that I wasn't the first person to think, "Hey, I bet this is exactly like Minecraft but in 2D!" Some mechanics may be similar to (or exactly like) Minecraft in some ways, but I found Terraria's atmosphere to be much stronger than Minecraft, and I think the exact same way about the music. Whether you're into Minecraft or not, I would still consider checking this out. The game being in 2D simplifies some things and makes them less of a hassle - this includes performance issues. The only negative thing I can say about Terraria is that the crafting can take a bit longer to get used to, but the internet is flooded with tutorials and wikis, so it won't take you long to get it under your belt. If the developers of the game are reading this, you did an excellent job. Seriously. Expand
  98. Jun 28, 2011
    I just can't seem to put this down. With quirky graphics and entertaining exploits, I've been glued to Terraria for the past few weeks. This is a great example that 2D platformers still have relevance. Even though this game came from what seemed to be the shadow of Minecraft, It shines a light of its own. The depth of adventure in this will keep you up at night wanting more. The multiplayer option further lengthens gameplay so you can explore and build with your friends. I would advise picking this one up for the $10 steam wants for it. Expand
  99. Jul 2, 2011
    Every once in a while, a game that comes around that accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, and manages to bring every one of its elements together in such a way that I really just can't come up with any plausible improvements. Terraria is one such game. The graphics are simple, yet endearing; the music is catchy and fun without being distracting or overtly repetitive; and the gameplay is absolutely addictive and original, thanks to nearly endless possibilities for creation and exploration limited only by your imagination, and the (surprisingly exhaustive) amount of tools and items the developers have provided. Give it some time, some patience, and a little creativity, and you'll soon discover what a true gem this game really is. Terraria is at once an old-school, nostalgia inducing, 2-D platformer; action rpg; and a surprisingly engrossing mining/crafting/village-building simulator. Throw all these elements together -- along with some good friends -- and the end result is one of the most interesting, unique, and addictive games to hit the markets in a good long while. Don't even get me started on the hours of entertainment value to cost ratio! Do yourself - and the industry - a favor and support this wonderful little game for only $10! Expand
  100. Jul 2, 2011
    Check how they fake user reviews (Vote it up plz so everyone can see):

BigMike May 17, 2011 10 Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, that sucked me in from the moment I started it up. With great pixel art, endearing music and lots of retro aspects, terraria will occupy me for years to come. This idea is still fresh and I'm glad somebody didn't shy away from it just because of
    MineCraft's recent success.

j0rv1d May 17, 2011 10 "Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, that sucked me in from the moment I started it up. With great pixel art, endearing music and lots of retro aspects, terraria will occupy me for years to come. This idea is still fresh and I'm glad somebody didn't shy away from it just because of MineCraft's recent success. "
  101. Jun 16, 2011

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.