8.5

1. Dec 13, 2011
    Terraria is a RPG-Action game which is online enabled, it is also a rare kind of RPG-Action as it falls away from the recent flooding of HD 3D games because quite frankly this game is a 2D RPG-Action. The game plays similar to Minecraft which is pretty much a sand box game. In Terraria, players are able to create a character and choose between 3 different sized worlds which is differentTerraria is a RPG-Action game which is online enabled, it is also a rare kind of RPG-Action as it falls away from the recent flooding of HD 3D games because quite frankly this game is a 2D RPG-Action. The game plays similar to Minecraft which is pretty much a sand box game. In Terraria, players are able to create a character and choose between 3 different sized worlds which is different each time you create one, the player is able to explore through the world using numerous weapons, items and tools. Players are able to travel through land, sea, underground, hell, sky and in outer space. Players will also be able to customize their characters to look like some famous characters such as Mario and Link from the Nintendo universe! This game has A LOT of content, you will surely no doubt about it clock around 50-100 hours just through exploration, and even than you will be able to continue your adventures through the online community whom have created numerous PVP type servers or massive Boss battle arenas. Expand
  2. May 31, 2013
    Terraria is a great adventure game. It is simply fun. Open-world, with many dungeons, enemies and bosses, countless weapons and armor sets, and enough variation in accessories so that not all players have the same setup. Particularly fun with friends, but single-player is also fun, if more challenging. It is a little difficult at first, but that ends up adding to the gaming experience.
  3. Jan 17, 2012
    Awesome game with friends. It is like metroid and minecraft smashed together into a fun little romp of fun. Play with friends !!! Not only does it allow the game to be easier, but it allows for other social benefits such as chuckling hysterically as your friend falls 400 feet into lava.
  4. Jun 24, 2015
    Terraria is a sandbox game that makes me feel like Minecraft merged into a cuter, more nicer game. Terraria is best played with your friends, so for me it won't really work (check out my gameplay time) yeah... not that much. But I was not really happy with its multiplayer, literally me and one of my friends spent 45 minutes trying to make the multiplayer work, which really put me off fromTerraria is a sandbox game that makes me feel like Minecraft merged into a cuter, more nicer game. Terraria is best played with your friends, so for me it won't really work (check out my gameplay time) yeah... not that much. But I was not really happy with its multiplayer, literally me and one of my friends spent 45 minutes trying to make the multiplayer work, which really put me off from playing the game, but with its wide variety of objects to use and its great length of a game, you will be playing this sandbox game with your friends for hours on end!

Terraria is a great game to get a 4-pack and have fun with your friends!
  5. Jul 19, 2013
    I bought this game on sale for about 2 bucks purely for the lulz. Little did I know this game was laced with crack.
    WARNING: Simple yet so addictive.
  6. Sep 1, 2011
    It's pretty obvious that I wasn't the first person to think, "Hey, I bet this is exactly like Minecraft but in 2D!" Some mechanics may be similar to (or exactly like) Minecraft in some ways, but I found Terraria's atmosphere to be much stronger than Minecraft, and I think the exact same way about the music. Whether you're into Minecraft or not, I would still consider checking this out. TheIt's pretty obvious that I wasn't the first person to think, "Hey, I bet this is exactly like Minecraft but in 2D!" Some mechanics may be similar to (or exactly like) Minecraft in some ways, but I found Terraria's atmosphere to be much stronger than Minecraft, and I think the exact same way about the music. Whether you're into Minecraft or not, I would still consider checking this out. The game being in 2D simplifies some things and makes them less of a hassle - this includes performance issues. The only negative thing I can say about Terraria is that the crafting can take a bit longer to get used to, but the internet is flooded with tutorials and wikis, so it won't take you long to get it under your belt. If the developers of the game are reading this, you did an excellent job. Seriously. Expand
  7. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + One of the best co-op game experiences there is
    + Fun mechanics that reward exploration and discovery
    + Continuous support from developers, with new content offered a few times
    ? Experience becomes stale after a lot of play, only going to draw people back who are in love with the game
    - Progression system tied to mining higher and higher tiered metals becomes very repetitive
  8. Aug 14, 2014
    There isn't much to say about this game. Its fun, I mean its Castlevania meets Minecraft. The combat is simple enough to master and difficult enough to have fun. You can find new weapons and armors and special items to help you navigate through the world. You can use the terrain to help you fight. Really fun and I come back to it all the time.
  9. Mar 29, 2013
    I would like to make an update to my previous review, even though towards the end there is nothing to do, and you most likely have everything in the game, there is still an insane amount of conquering to do in every realm thing. And it is also pretty fun to burn stuff with the lava and such.
  10. Sep 11, 2011
    Don't be fooled, its not some minecraft rip-off with 2D graphics, its actually so diffirent that you might love it even if you hated minecraft, and otherwise. But here you have more stuff to do, other than just building.
  11. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (1/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (+1)

12. Mar 12, 2012
    There's a lot of obvious parallels between Terarria and Minecraft, but Redigit's masterpiece achieves a much greater depth than Notch's effort. With a greater emphasis on combat and exploration, it's obvious from the start that Terraria is something truly unique. Fans of Castlevania will enjoy the gorgeous retro, pixelated 2D graphics. There truly is a huge amount of content, and withThere's a lot of obvious parallels between Terarria and Minecraft, but Redigit's masterpiece achieves a much greater depth than Notch's effort. With a greater emphasis on combat and exploration, it's obvious from the start that Terraria is something truly unique. Fans of Castlevania will enjoy the gorgeous retro, pixelated 2D graphics. There truly is a huge amount of content, and with regular updates this game is a steal at $10. Expand
  13. Jan 8, 2015
    Its a MineCraft like game but in 2D but different. As you do in MineCraft, you can build a house, and build weapons. But in Terraria you can have special ability's, defeat bosses, holiday dlc, and much more. Fun game, but its mainly only fun if you have friends to play with.
  14. Jul 20, 2011
    You may be thinking that this is just a crappy copy of the best downloadable game on the market Minecraft but how wrong you are. Terrarria is fantastic unlike Minecraft Terrarria has an RPG side to it so stuff building houses head underground and get some gear. It looks pretty good not the best 2D platformer graphics though. The music puts you into such a tranquil snake as your miningYou may be thinking that this is just a crappy copy of the best downloadable game on the market Minecraft but how wrong you are. Terrarria is fantastic unlike Minecraft Terrarria has an RPG side to it so stuff building houses head underground and get some gear. It looks pretty good not the best 2D platformer graphics though. The music puts you into such a tranquil snake as your mining fighting beasties or even taking on giant eyes. It's undeniably fun and it is only 9.99 what a bargain. Expand
  15. Jan 7, 2015
    minecraft = sandbox
    terraria = PLATFORM !

ffs minecraft fangays go **** yourself.
    this game is great and having one of the best plaform sections iv'e ever seen.
    graphics are not good. but the graphics are suppose to be like that.
    even mojang said it's not a rip-off.
  16. Oct 30, 2013
    Terraria is a great 2D version of Minecraft with heaps to do and it should keep you busy for quite some time. There are many secrets to discover and locations to visit and it is really up to you how you want to play. The only negatives are that the actual inventory screen is a little bit cumbersome, and there is not a large amount of early game assistance, meaning that newcomers mayTerraria is a great 2D version of Minecraft with heaps to do and it should keep you busy for quite some time. There are many secrets to discover and locations to visit and it is really up to you how you want to play. The only negatives are that the actual inventory screen is a little bit cumbersome, and there is not a large amount of early game assistance, meaning that newcomers may initially be overwhelmed by the large scope of what the game has to offer. Once you're drawn in though, expect to lose many hours. Expand
  17. Dec 11, 2013
    When it was initially released, I thought Terraria was an alright game, not great but not terrible either. With the recent 1.2 update, I gave the game another shot and it is such an improvement over the original version. Retro graphics and sound is a nice touch and the expansive worlds provide a great deal of freedom and exploration as there are a variety of biomes, enemies and loot to beWhen it was initially released, I thought Terraria was an alright game, not great but not terrible either. With the recent 1.2 update, I gave the game another shot and it is such an improvement over the original version. Retro graphics and sound is a nice touch and the expansive worlds provide a great deal of freedom and exploration as there are a variety of biomes, enemies and loot to be discovered. The inclusion of an optional tutorial would be nice for newcomers though and I would've liked some more guidance in terms of crafting items, as I found myself constantly alt-tabbing to check a wiki. Options for world generation would be nice as well, so I don't have to generate a whole bunch for a pyramid or something. There is a sense of progression in the game which does make Terraria more accessible for players who find absolute freedom a little daunting. Even for players who aren't into building great spectacles of creativity, there was much fun to be had in acquiring the best gear available.

Overall a good game, but not without a couple flaws. The icing on the cake is the game is very cheap so get it now if you haven't already!
  18. May 19, 2011
    I believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now andI believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now and have some fun, Terraria is excellent. Expand
  19. Feb 27, 2014
    Great exploration, great treasure-hunting, great combat, epic fights and a myriad of weapons make Terraria a true masterpiece. There is so much to do, even if all you decide to do is beat all the enemies. You can create or shape vast landscapes and housing, create artificial biomes and item farms, or just have fun beating the pulp out of enemies and bosses. I advise looking at the wikiGreat exploration, great treasure-hunting, great combat, epic fights and a myriad of weapons make Terraria a true masterpiece. There is so much to do, even if all you decide to do is beat all the enemies. You can create or shape vast landscapes and housing, create artificial biomes and item farms, or just have fun beating the pulp out of enemies and bosses. I advise looking at the wiki if you're new, in order to get some idea of what to do.

HUGE update with 1.2, completely FREE, improved so many aspects of the game and added great content. The developers genuinely care about their fan base. The game was only $2.50 on Steam sale and I played it over 200 hours single player.

My only complaint is that for multiplayer you have to type in each IP address to get onto the servers, would be a lot easier with a server list or quick-match option.
  20. Jun 25, 2014
    One of the best Indie games i've ever played, ever. Picked it up 2 days ago and i already have 21 hours in it. Terraria doesn't fail to surprise with new monsters, items, and places to explore. It's similar to Minecraft is a few ways, but very different in many others. If you have a few friends to play this game with, there's no reason you shouldn't pick this game up!
  21. Jan 21, 2012
    This game is always in the top 10 most played steam games, with about 20,000 players on daily. Next to kings like TF2, CS and Skyrim. Ignore the red reviews and just ask yourself if this is something you could enjoy, BEFORE buying it. 407 positive reviews to 56 negative... And every negative is upset it's like minecraft! They make no secrets about that, it's obvious before purchase.This game is always in the top 10 most played steam games, with about 20,000 players on daily. Next to kings like TF2, CS and Skyrim. Ignore the red reviews and just ask yourself if this is something you could enjoy, BEFORE buying it. 407 positive reviews to 56 negative... And every negative is upset it's like minecraft! They make no secrets about that, it's obvious before purchase. Then it has tons of rad wiring traps and explosives and lighting and rediculous amounts of custom weapons, accessories, combinations, clothes armor and even ammo types. If you don't feel any nostalgia for the 2D era you should acknowledge that before you even consider buying, because it takes an imagination to lose yourself in a platform world with no ending. That being said I'm 70 hours into just building and digging mines, and I couldn't be having more fun. I played minecraft for 5 hours and it has WAY less going on than terraria. 20000 active steam players a day can't be wrong. Expand
  22. Aug 29, 2013
    Terraria continues to receive hefty updates, even as Starbound's release date edges closer. There's a ton of stuff to do in this game, and while comparisons to Minecraft are understandable, Terraria offers a lot more content. The exploration elements are great, though environments do get repetitive due to the small number of biomes (being rectified in Starbound thankfully). Combat isTerraria continues to receive hefty updates, even as Starbound's release date edges closer. There's a ton of stuff to do in this game, and while comparisons to Minecraft are understandable, Terraria offers a lot more content. The exploration elements are great, though environments do get repetitive due to the small number of biomes (being rectified in Starbound thankfully). Combat is fast-paced and unforgiving, and hordes of zombies knocking on your doorstep every night keeps you tense and focused. Terraria is a great game to sink a lot of hours into just experimenting. Expand
  23. Aug 2, 2011
    More directed action and adventure than Minecraft, this 2D platformer is part Metroid, part Minecraft, and all good. Easily one of the best games of 2011.
  24. Jul 16, 2015
    Terraria has pretty much no modding community. Do you know why? Because the game already has all the content you could possibly want. Seriously, this is the most complex sandbox game I've ever played. And most importantly, its fun!
  25. Nov 24, 2015
    2D Sandbox Adventure

Overall: 75% (96.9/130)

Atmosphere 7.1/10

Variety 9.6/10

Cost-Benefit Ratio 3/4
    System Requirements 1/1
  26. Jul 2, 2011
    Comparing Minecraft to Terraria is like Halo to Half Life whilst they both share similarities it is only skin deep. If you go to play this game thinking it will be creative fiesta like Miencraft you will be dissapointed and if you go in thinking it will be a lousy 2D version of it you will be pleasantly suprised. The fun in Terraria is not in creating like Minecraft but in the explorationComparing Minecraft to Terraria is like Halo to Half Life whilst they both share similarities it is only skin deep. If you go to play this game thinking it will be creative fiesta like Miencraft you will be dissapointed and if you go in thinking it will be a lousy 2D version of it you will be pleasantly suprised. The fun in Terraria is not in creating like Minecraft but in the exploration and gameplay. Expand
  27. May 23, 2011
    This game is very addictive until you run out of ideas.The graphics are cute and remind me of my SNES-times bringing a lot of nostalgia. It combines the best features of many genres to be a powerful and enjoyable indiegame. It has RPG elements, NPCs, Hack'n'Slash elements, sandbox creativity-building and generally a lot to discover. This game sucked me in for the first ~20 hours almostThis game is very addictive until you run out of ideas.The graphics are cute and remind me of my SNES-times bringing a lot of nostalgia. It combines the best features of many genres to be a powerful and enjoyable indiegame. It has RPG elements, NPCs, Hack'n'Slash elements, sandbox creativity-building and generally a lot to discover. This game sucked me in for the first ~20 hours almost playing 10 hours in a row (so be careful to miss school / your job!). Even after "finishing" the game by obtaining the best gear and defeating all bosses there is still plenty to do. Unless you lack imagination in which case you might get bored. There is a lot of room to build. Not just houses, but fun creative stuff like Bowling or even Buzzwire (check youtube). Now to the negative parts of the game. First off the multiplayer was kind of laggy, as in that monsters often 'teleport' especially slimes and deamoneyes. There are still bugs and errors after the first patch, the game sometimes randomly crashing on switching to fullscreen. But those should be fixed with the upcoming patches. Speaking of patches there is still plenty of improvement, like adding more NPCs, items and bosses. I am sure this game will improve even more. One of the best games I have bought in years. Enjoy. Expand
  28. Oct 7, 2011
    No way you can fault this game for lack of content. There's plenty, and (semi-)random-generation of items, caverns, and veins keeps the game interesting for many hours. With all sandbox-type games, however, there comes a point where you feel like you've gone through just about everything there is to explore. You know how the mechanics work, how enemies work - you've found all theNo way you can fault this game for lack of content. There's plenty, and (semi-)random-generation of items, caverns, and veins keeps the game interesting for many hours. With all sandbox-type games, however, there comes a point where you feel like you've gone through just about everything there is to explore. You know how the mechanics work, how enemies work - you've found all the interesting artifacts, and have the NPCs you're interested in. .... And then you go online to see the Terraria Wiki, and -- HOLY #(%*, there's a freaking CLOUD level! You find out you've only explored half the content, and on your way to explore it, the devs release even more new content in an update. Content updates in Terraria are a real treat. It's not just a few balance changes and a a couple new items -- they add new biomes, more monsters, a new NPC, different trees, new mechanics, many new weapons, and major crafting changes. Even if you do play Minecraft, and reviewers are correct in calling Terraria a "2d minecraft clone," the vast amount of different content, different mechanics, and environments still make Terreria a bargain, and likely a very fresh, enjoyable experience for you. Expand
  29. Jan 9, 2012
    Terraria is a surprisingly fun sandbox platformer game. It provides a perfect balance between building, exploring, crafting, and fighting. The graphics and sound are going to win any awards, but they provide a neat retro feel. The game could use a better tutorial, and digging can be a bit frustrating early on until you get some better mining tools. Once you get past the initial stagesTerraria is a surprisingly fun sandbox platformer game. It provides a perfect balance between building, exploring, crafting, and fighting. The graphics and sound are going to win any awards, but they provide a neat retro feel. The game could use a better tutorial, and digging can be a bit frustrating early on until you get some better mining tools. Once you get past the initial stages of the game, it's easy to get immersed in the game, and there is a lot to do. Expand
  30. Jan 17, 2015
    I have more hours in this game than I ever thought was possible. I played minecraft before I played this game, and I was convinced I would feel bored by terraria because I had played minecraft. However Terraria is different enough and polished enough to feel like a completely different experience. Yes, you can build in terraria, yes there are circuits and you spend a lot of time diggingI have more hours in this game than I ever thought was possible. I played minecraft before I played this game, and I was convinced I would feel bored by terraria because I had played minecraft. However Terraria is different enough and polished enough to feel like a completely different experience. Yes, you can build in terraria, yes there are circuits and you spend a lot of time digging for ore just like minecraft, that's where the similarities end. Terraria has a vast amount of weaponry to use, unique and difficult boss fights, graphics that look more natural and are far more interesting to look at than minecraft's default textures.

Minecraft is more of a sandbox builder while terraria is more of an actual 2D action RPG game. Despite what I thought before I played Terraria, it's clear now that this game is a unique masterpiece.
  31. Oct 19, 2011
    I try my very hardest not to give out 10s. Isn't the whole point of perfection that it can't ever be achieved? Anyway, I feel this game truly deserves it. I'm a huge fan of side-scrolling games like Castlevania, so this game spoke to me on that sort of primal level. Not only that though, but it has mining, crafting, and creation sort of like Minecraft. IT IS NOT MINECRAFT THOUGH. I don'tI try my very hardest not to give out 10s. Isn't the whole point of perfection that it can't ever be achieved? Anyway, I feel this game truly deserves it. I'm a huge fan of side-scrolling games like Castlevania, so this game spoke to me on that sort of primal level. Not only that though, but it has mining, crafting, and creation sort of like Minecraft. IT IS NOT MINECRAFT THOUGH. I don't get why people are so gung-ho about comparing the two. Anyway, I could go on and on about how I love the graphic-style, the music, the boss fights, the dungeons and biomes, and how this game teases my inner collector, but the best praise I could ever give this game is the following: When I sit down to play, I forget to eat and drink. Pizza goes cold, and soda goes flat. True story. Also, it's only $10 and the developers are CONSTANTLY adding more content through free updates. I can't wait for 1.1 to come out. Expand
  32. May 4, 2012
    this game is another retro style marvel, and FYI, its NOT A MINE CRAFT RIPOFF! , its a good game good music, retro graphics, i personalty liked this game
  33. Jul 30, 2011
    Spent a good 70 hours on the very first version of the game, simply a great platformer that revisits old SNES themes melded with the ingenuity of Minecraft in two-dimensions. Sadly re-playability is a problem for me due to its lack of content however, the developers are doing an immensely great job at updating their game with new content!
  34. Jun 24, 2014
    Terraria is a nice little game, better played with friends, and with a real goal (not like in Minecraft). It is rewarding as you fight the multiple bosses and fill in your house with all the treasure you collect in the caves

The 2D is the point of the game and it might be a pain in the bottom to build things and place objects, compared to the classic Minecraft, but the combat is much better, and the exploring a LOT better.

Conclusion : Play with friends for added value, and grab it during the Steam sales !
  35. Jul 20, 2011
    Don't be dismissive and say instantly that it's just 2D Minecraft, it's actually really fun. It feels like a cross between Minecraft and Castlevania, so if you like either, give this game a try. However, while it's a sandbox, I did get the impression that I'd beaten the game as soon as I got myself the best items, but they're still adding content to the game in large worthwhile updates, soDon't be dismissive and say instantly that it's just 2D Minecraft, it's actually really fun. It feels like a cross between Minecraft and Castlevania, so if you like either, give this game a try. However, while it's a sandbox, I did get the impression that I'd beaten the game as soon as I got myself the best items, but they're still adding content to the game in large worthwhile updates, so let's hope they make the game longer, so to speak. Expand
  36. Jul 17, 2011
    When I first heard of Terraria I had a look and thought "Yeah that looks pretty cool" and decided to give it a try. It was very different to what I was expecting, but was still amazing! One of the best 2D Platformers I've ever played. It's also very Addictive
  37. Apr 8, 2013
    Brilliant. The way the game scales difficulty and introduced new things to you as you continue to explore the game is wonderful. Hard mode is a bit irritating with your homeland town being constantly harassed by malicious enemies if you don't prepare it thoroughly, and I was a bit disappointed once I finished exploring the whole world and had only boss fights to look forward to rather thanBrilliant. The way the game scales difficulty and introduced new things to you as you continue to explore the game is wonderful. Hard mode is a bit irritating with your homeland town being constantly harassed by malicious enemies if you don't prepare it thoroughly, and I was a bit disappointed once I finished exploring the whole world and had only boss fights to look forward to rather than more exploration, but overall a really fun game I sunk a good 60 hours into. Expand
  38. Jun 20, 2013
    Terraria has earned its place as one of the best indie games of all time. Terraria, while it has no real satisfaction in building, has magic, the Underworld, many bosses, and great mining sequences. Pair that with the great end game and you get a phenomenal experience. The combat is also fluent and can become easily overwhelming if you are not wary of you weapon usage and environment.Terraria has earned its place as one of the best indie games of all time. Terraria, while it has no real satisfaction in building, has magic, the Underworld, many bosses, and great mining sequences. Pair that with the great end game and you get a phenomenal experience. The combat is also fluent and can become easily overwhelming if you are not wary of you weapon usage and environment. Terraria is addicting, fun, and overall a great game. Expand
  39. Jun 5, 2014
    Get a group of friends, build things, adventure, and fight things. It's a great game. I only gave it a 9 because every once and a while your friends won't all be on the same page, and you can have some boring spells, also connecting everyone together is sometimes a huge pain, hamachi can be flaky sometimes. In general it's pretty addicting though, and has so many different things you can do.
  40. Aug 24, 2011
    A great game, especially for the price. Some may say its a ripoff of Minecraft, but I would have to disagree, I own both games and have spent hundreds of hours in both. Think of it as a 2D version of minecraft that had much less emphasis on building things, and much more emphasis on adventure and combat. if you liked Minecraft, you will very likely love Terraria as well. The only real badA great game, especially for the price. Some may say its a ripoff of Minecraft, but I would have to disagree, I own both games and have spent hundreds of hours in both. Think of it as a 2D version of minecraft that had much less emphasis on building things, and much more emphasis on adventure and combat. if you liked Minecraft, you will very likely love Terraria as well. The only real bad thing is when you have collected pretty much everything... because at that point, it doesnt really feel like you have all too much left to do in the game. Expand
  41. Jun 25, 2011
    Of course many are offering this experience as a cheap knock-off of Minecraft's success, when in fact, its a powerhouse of an indie game, and surpasses Minecraft's core experiences by far. At most, similarities found in the games are their crafting systems and the possibility of some freeform building, which differ greatly when comparing both expieriences. But by offering an intense 2DOf course many are offering this experience as a cheap knock-off of Minecraft's success, when in fact, its a powerhouse of an indie game, and surpasses Minecraft's core experiences by far. At most, similarities found in the games are their crafting systems and the possibility of some freeform building, which differ greatly when comparing both expieriences. But by offering an intense 2D sandbox expierience that offers a multitude of mobs, an old-school RPG expierience, tons of biomes with secrets located in the skies and underground, and an evergrowing slew of updates providing diverse new items, power-ups, weapons, and enemies, Terraria delivers with astounding gameplay that still leaves me addicted to this date. Re-Logic, well done. Expand
  42. Jun 18, 2012
    This game is so fun. The multiplayer is amazing, its easy to join servers and making them is also easy. The game is 5-10 bucks and its a real bargain. Many players and a lot of items. This game is really fun. People compare it to Minecraft, but I find this BETTER than minecraft. For one, the gameplay is faster and you can make more out of your time than minecrafts hide in a cave type ofThis game is so fun. The multiplayer is amazing, its easy to join servers and making them is also easy. The game is 5-10 bucks and its a real bargain. Many players and a lot of items. This game is really fun. People compare it to Minecraft, but I find this BETTER than minecraft. For one, the gameplay is faster and you can make more out of your time than minecrafts hide in a cave type of game. This game has more items than minecraft and has a easy multiplayer, unlike minecraft's servers. Down side is that it can be a bit boring, but if your bored with minecraft, even the boring parts will seem more active than minecrafts. Expand
  43. Jan 26, 2014
    This game is amazingly fun over and over and over again. People say it's a Minecraft ripoff, but don't listen to them. The only similarities it has with Minecraft is the fact you can dig underground, that's all. Terraria is more focused on an RPG aspect and has a larger variety of pretty much everything. The only real problem I really had with it was the annoying falling damage and theThis game is amazingly fun over and over and over again. People say it's a Minecraft ripoff, but don't listen to them. The only similarities it has with Minecraft is the fact you can dig underground, that's all. Terraria is more focused on an RPG aspect and has a larger variety of pretty much everything. The only real problem I really had with it was the annoying falling damage and the fact that hardmode starts off a bit unfair, I guess.

I have no idea why people keep saying it's "minecraft without all the cool stuff" because in my opinion, Terraria, even prior to 1.1, had cooler stuff than Minecraft. The armors and weapons are all different, unlike in Minecraft where there's not only a total of 5 weapons or something, but 4 of them are the same sword recolored, and the other one is a bow.

I find this game a lot better because it has way better replay value and lasts a lot longer than Minecraft, is more fair than Minecraft, and the overall design just seems better.
  44. Oct 1, 2013
    I will not give a game a 10 unless its an all-time favorite. I think there are maybe 4-5 games I've ever played that I would give a 10. This is one of them.

I demand a lot from games, I detest the mainstream blandness. This game has absolute magic from beginning to end. I've played nearly 400 hours and the MASSIVE and GLORIOUS 1.2 Update just went live. See you in December.
  45. May 14, 2012
    At one point I liked this better than Minecraft. Not for the crafting or building that much as for the adventuring. The RPG elements were a big plus for it. But then the big update came and made me drop the game forever. Before the update if you wanted to be fast you got a shadow armor. You wanted to be strong you got a molten armor. The game was balanced. After the update they put threeAt one point I liked this better than Minecraft. Not for the crafting or building that much as for the adventuring. The RPG elements were a big plus for it. But then the big update came and made me drop the game forever. Before the update if you wanted to be fast you got a shadow armor. You wanted to be strong you got a molten armor. The game was balanced. After the update they put three new kinds of armor that made the old armors useless. The whole game now was about getting enough adamantite to make adamantite armor with your favorite helmet and that was all. After you made that armor the game was again a piece of cake and all other armors were just worse than your's. Before the update there were so many fun ways to play your character which were lost after the update. After the update you could combine most accessories and keep like double in quantity active on you so more customization options were lost since you can now hold practically all useful accessories at the same time instead of choosing a playstyle based on the few you could keep on you.

Most unbalancing update I've ever seen in a game. Would be 9/10 without this update. Would be 10/10 if the update managed to keep the balance instead of adding a few uber-items.
  46. Mar 26, 2013
    I just love this game, it was more than i was expecting. My friend who's name shall remain sufficient for now gifted me this game and i played it instantly since there is so much rave and talk about it. After the first hour of playing with my friend I was nearly addicted. If I were you I would play this game. It is only about 2.50 USD on steam. Enjoy
  47. Jul 31, 2014
    this is a fun 2D Game
    you can build , defend , craft , create , and explore the games world.
    This game has co-op gameplay with friends and it makes the game that much better.
    you will share laughs with friends for sure.
    this game is very fun and i give this game an
  48. Jul 13, 2011
    one of the funnest games i've ever played. i never thought a 2D minecraft would be fun or even possible but they did it. also the price is fantastic, definitely worth $10
  49. May 22, 2011
    absolutely the best game i have played in years; i cant stand how lame and boring minecraft is; not to mention that terrible 3d boxxy style

2d with sprites takes me right back to the days and this game has it all; platforming elements, its like zelda meets minecraft meets castlevania; it strikes just the right chord with my inner gamer multiplayer is way more fun than i expected and

multiplayer is way more fun than i expected and the game just kicks ass all the way around
  50. May 28, 2013
    Often accused of being a 2D Minecraft clone, Terraria proves that this couldn't be further from the truth. While I admit they do have some similarities, when you get into the meat of the game it becomes it's own thing. Accompanied with an enchanting soundtrack and charming retro pixel art, Terraria has become one of my favorites.
  51. Jan 6, 2013
    The pinnacle of sandbox games. If you're a MineCraft fan, definitely take a gander at one of the most interesting indie titles in a long time. This game made me a believer again. A believer in the magic of Gaming!
  52. Mar 5, 2013
    incredibly addicting. Even more addicting than binding of isaac. Points for longevity: 10/10
    I like how you can do what you want and in what order you want in this game. You can make better weapons, armor, guns etc. Gameplay: 10/10. Graphics are good. I think they could have been a little better but they are good enough: 8/10. Music and sounds are good but not great. 8/10. Ovreall still....
  53. Mar 8, 2013
    Game companies love to try and mix irregular genres together every once and a while, and when Re-Logic tried it out, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked. Terraria is somewhat of a platforming-sidescrolling-sandbox-RPG, with a great balance of all three genres. I know this game gets a bit of hate for being a "2-D ripoff of Minecraft", but when you take into account how muchGame companies love to try and mix irregular genres together every once and a while, and when Re-Logic tried it out, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked. Terraria is somewhat of a platforming-sidescrolling-sandbox-RPG, with a great balance of all three genres. I know this game gets a bit of hate for being a "2-D ripoff of Minecraft", but when you take into account how much more this game is combat/RPG focused than MC is, I think it makes a better stand-alone game. Mods aren't required to make it fun, and this game has much better online PVP from what I've noticed. Think of it as Contra-meets-Minecraft-meets-Just Cause 2. Expand
  54. May 21, 2011
    It's not Minecraft, even though it very obviously borrows a lot of elements from it. It's got much more character development and feels a lot more fleshed out - more decoration, more different areas and enemies, special events and NPCs... It's very addictive, though it doesn't have the huge replay value of Minecraft. Regardless, it is absolutely worth the ten euros.
  55. Mar 21, 2012
    Ive been wandering around this game for a while until now were i just bought it on Steam. I love it. Its a 2D adventure rpg game where you can spend long hours and not being bored at all, at least for me. Most people prefer Minecraft because its 3D , its better bla bla bla, i dont care. Terraria has all that and more. Great weapons, great graphics despite being 2D, the bosses are great,Ive been wandering around this game for a while until now were i just bought it on Steam. I love it. Its a 2D adventure rpg game where you can spend long hours and not being bored at all, at least for me. Most people prefer Minecraft because its 3D , its better bla bla bla, i dont care. Terraria has all that and more. Great weapons, great graphics despite being 2D, the bosses are great, the environment is smooth and many more things that i cant explain because i have no words but just: its great. Also play with friends and enjoy hours of fun and creativeness, i recommend everyone stop playing Minecraft and just give a few hours of Terraria and then tell us what do you think about this. Expand
  56. Dec 20, 2011
    Looking to dump hours of your time into a procedurally generated world? Look no further. You begin with basic equipment to deal with basic enemies like slimes and soon you are outrunning a wall of flesh withmagic boots while firing meteor-infused bullets from a gun that is half shark. And that's only pre-hardmode content. If this is your kind of game you will easily get play time from thisLooking to dump hours of your time into a procedurally generated world? Look no further. You begin with basic equipment to deal with basic enemies like slimes and soon you are outrunning a wall of flesh withmagic boots while firing meteor-infused bullets from a gun that is half shark. And that's only pre-hardmode content. If this is your kind of game you will easily get play time from this game to match any AAA title while also paying next to nothing Expand
  57. Jun 8, 2011
    I'm not going to lie, at first I was really turned off by Terraria. Why would anyone want to play a 2D minecraft clone when we already got minecraft? Then I took another look at it because my friend insisted it was amazing. I watched the trailer, and started picking up on things that definitely weren't MC like. I started poking around and giving it a chance. Now I'm hooked, it's such anI'm not going to lie, at first I was really turned off by Terraria. Why would anyone want to play a 2D minecraft clone when we already got minecraft? Then I took another look at it because my friend insisted it was amazing. I watched the trailer, and started picking up on things that definitely weren't MC like. I started poking around and giving it a chance. Now I'm hooked, it's such an awesome adventure game! There's so much to explore and see, always something new, it's hard to get bored. Terraria doesn't deserve to be held up to MC; It's a fine adventure sandbox game all unto itself either way. Now I did poke into the wiki a bit, and started noticing just how much there was to see and do. I recommend you do what I am doing and keep your game as spoiler free as possible. You'll really only have to look at the wiki if you have honestly run out of things to do. Play it in multiplayer if you can as well, that alone really helped improve my experience. Expand
  58. May 19, 2011
    This game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool likeThis game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool like Minecraft, it's more about the adventure as you are rewarded more for exploring and combat and boss fights than anything else.

At first glance it may look like a 2D Minecraft but when you actually put time in to it and give it a chance you will see this game has an incredible amount of depth that Minecraft and most other games do not have.
  59. Jul 12, 2011
    This game is much more than a rehash of Minecraft. Less emphasis is placed on construction, and more is placed on exploration and actual gameplay. The difficulty scales well for anybody from casual players to the more hardcore, and the game rewards thoughtful building to protect yourself from enemies.
  60. Nov 24, 2013
    I really love it when I'm playing with my friend, as we can build a world with each other's help. The only problem is that I got bored later on into the game.
  61. Jul 21, 2011
    I absolutely love this game. Me my brother and his friend will play this hours at a time! the game is so addicting and keeps you coming back for more.
  62. Nov 1, 2011
    I'm only writing this review because night has started in my Terraria. And I can happily tell you that Terraria is unique and near nostalgic in itself. Are you a crafter? An adventurer? Or a fighter? It's all up for you to decide on what you become in your own sandbox like world. The concept of Terraria is refining, the execution is majestic. Now if you excuse me, I have to fight some eyeballs.
  63. Feb 4, 2012
    This game is a blast, is it a MMO with years of entertainment? no, Does it offer a deeply enriching story? no Is it top notch art? no.

Terraria is exploration heaven. Terraria is relatable gaming. Terraria is better because there is no hand holding, yet intuitive. Terraria is challenging. Terraria actually engages the right half of your brain, and offers a good bit of action. My only

Terraria is exploration heaven.
    Terraria is relatable gaming.
    Terraria is better because there is no hand holding, yet intuitive.
    Terraria is challenging.

My only complaint is Terraria can be a bit lonely for long hours.
    Pets would be kool =)

For 10 bucks though this game is all win for the player.

I would give Terraria a 9.5, some things could use some polish... but sincethere are so few games that are actually right brained fun out there I'll go with a 10.
  64. Mar 11, 2012
    Terraria is very nicely executed sandbox. If you expect stories and quests then this game is not for you. That being said, game is not for everyone. You go venture underground and slay mobs, build your castles in fairly nice 2D graphics in a bit old style.
    There are 2 major downsides of the game.
    There are 2 major downsides of the game.
    Firstly as you kill more bosses and go to hardcore mode, hardcore bosses are really very hard. Game basically forces you to go multiplayer. If you have noone to play with, then you may end up not killing them at all. They are doable in single, but very hard.
    Secondly developers already announced that there will be no support in future which may turn some away.
    All in all the game will be as good as you make it yourself in good sandbox style.
  65. Aug 16, 2012
    If you want a simple game that is fun to play and easy to waste time on.... this is the game for you. I spent $2.50 and enjoyed over 100 hours of fun. if you like sandbox free play, this is the game for you. If you want super graphics, no control, a little CGI cut screens, with only one path to play then do not buy this game. I happened to like my own little world.
  66. Sep 27, 2013
    Amazing game, there's tons of things to explore and the game is incredibly enjoyable with or without friends. The only real problem i have with it is the annoying mechanic requiring you to build a house for an npc sometimes not telling you what you're missing.
  67. May 20, 2011
    this game is awesome. like mine craft meets Zelda type deal.i love how the mob re-spawn and bug while you try and build and explore makes the game a real fun challenge back when games were actually a challenge like NES days
  68. Jul 21, 2012
    It's my favorite game of ALL TIME. There is so much to do in this game! After 1.1 came out in December of 2011, the game for so much more fun. After you get enough armour, you can go down to fight the Wall of Flesh. If you fight him, a whole new adventure opens up for you to enjoy. New weapons, new ores, new monsters, new biomes, even new materials to build with! You can make traps forIt's my favorite game of ALL TIME. There is so much to do in this game! After 1.1 came out in December of 2011, the game for so much more fun. After you get enough armour, you can go down to fight the Wall of Flesh. If you fight him, a whole new adventure opens up for you to enjoy. New weapons, new ores, new monsters, new biomes, even new materials to build with! You can make traps for enemies to fall into, build houses on floating islands, and WAY More! I don't think I can fit everything into 5,000 characters. It's a definite steal at $10, and it goes on sale quite often! Expand
  69. Aug 18, 2015
    I bought Terraria a year ago, I haven't played it much until now. Terraria is an awesome game. There are so many things to do in Terraria, like exploring the underground, fight enemies in the dungeon, building houses for the NPCs, fishing, etc. The bosses in Terraria are quite challenging, but when you have the proper equipment, it will be very easy to defeat them. You can play alone orI bought Terraria a year ago, I haven't played it much until now. Terraria is an awesome game. There are so many things to do in Terraria, like exploring the underground, fight enemies in the dungeon, building houses for the NPCs, fishing, etc. The bosses in Terraria are quite challenging, but when you have the proper equipment, it will be very easy to defeat them. You can play alone or play with friends in Terraria. Since the 1.3 update you can play with your Steam friends very easily. I recommend playing Terraria with a friend because fighting bosses will be easier. If you get the hang of it and would like some challenge, Terraria offers an Expert mode where the bosses will have more HP and do more damage. There are events that will happen randomly in Terraria where many monsters will try to attack you in your base which is very annoying most of the time. There are so many items in Terraria, and you can craft so many things, like furniture, weapons, armor, potions, etc. You can build your house with almost anything. There are many weapons in the game, not just swords and bows. There are guns, rocket launchers, boomerangs, yo-yos, magical staffs, spell books, lasers and more. The achievements in Terraria are fairly easy to complete. The Steam Cloud feature is very neat as I wouldn't be worried to lose my progress. Even though the graphics look outdated, the gameplay is truly amazing. I would really recommend Terraria. Expand
  70. Feb 1, 2015
    At first I thought it was the worst purchase I had made in a long time. I was in for any cool platformer. After a few minutes trying to understand what the hell was going on the I felt kinda lost. The level seemed easy enough, some zombie-like monsters running after me wouldn't be a problem. After a while I got it, it's not a stage, it's some kind of world where you have to buy stuff,At first I thought it was the worst purchase I had made in a long time. I was in for any cool platformer. After a few minutes trying to understand what the hell was going on the I felt kinda lost. The level seemed easy enough, some zombie-like monsters running after me wouldn't be a problem. After a while I got it, it's not a stage, it's some kind of world where you have to buy stuff, gather commodity and attract professional vendors to help with tools.

I see this is Minecraft with one less dimension. Micecraft sucks quite a huge amount so why should I stick to an inferior copy? Well... Because it's glorious platforming and the fact you actually are given tasks to move on with your construction and ore gathering, The game grows on you because of equipment. You start crappy wielding wood swords and building wood houses. Dozens of hours in after restless exploration I have Adamantine Blade and my bricks are made of copper. You realize that overworld platforming won't yield the results you aimed for. So it's time to go underground.

This is a mining title; therefore I shall mine, excavate.
  71. Jul 5, 2011
    Just bought 4 copies of this yesterday off of Steam for about $20. First day playing was 6 hours, non-stop, with a friend of mine. In game chat is well presented. Multiplayer can be quite fun and, at times, hilarious. Navigating the UI was a little bit frustrating at first, and being clueless as to what to do at the start was as well. A ton of items is cool. Everything from weapons andJust bought 4 copies of this yesterday off of Steam for about $20. First day playing was 6 hours, non-stop, with a friend of mine. In game chat is well presented. Multiplayer can be quite fun and, at times, hilarious. Navigating the UI was a little bit frustrating at first, and being clueless as to what to do at the start was as well. A ton of items is cool. Everything from weapons and armor, to construction materials and furniture. Awesome 2d graphics. Addictive. A lot to offer. Great buy imo. Expand
  72. Nov 30, 2011
    Vastly superior to Minecraft. More content, more fun, more things to do, and the developers aren't greedy. Plus the game is only 10 dollars and almost always on sale for 5.
  73. Jan 19, 2012
    First thing I would like to point out is that this is not a minecraft clone, I was surprised about how the more I played, the less it seemed like minecraft, it takes more of the adventure parts of a sandbox and doesn't do much with building which I think is good as it allowed many different weapons and ways to explore
  74. Jun 2, 2013
    A nice little game that is quite similar to many other games but in my opinion is better due to the combat focus and the exploration focus over other games' building focus.The jump from normal mode to hard mode is a little too big though
  75. Oct 3, 2014
    More update in this game in 3 years than in the serie "call of duty" in 12 years (one easy jab, I know). You feel this game evolved (and will keep evolving) from when it started.

And no, it's not minecraft in 2D, there is a whole fighting side that is very well developped, with a felt progression when you start killing slimes with a copper shortsword and a wood armor and end up using a tactical shotgun with heat seeking bullets in a blue armor while killing a giant fish-pig-dragon thingy.

Also, you can play it in multiplayer, let it be to fight together, against each other, build magnificient structures, or play "Throw-bomb-down-the-mining-shaft-to-mine-faster-and-hear-your-friends-screaming-in-terror".
  76. Sep 6, 2014
    Evan though I am the definition of **** when I play this game, I still love it... Its a great game and all those people who say "It's 2D Minecraft" Then you obviously haven't played it properly, The game isn't 2D minecraft! Defiantly one of the best games I've got on steam.
  77. Nov 12, 2015
    This is a game the way games used to be made, simple fun.

If you're thinking about shying away from this game because it might appear to be a minecraft copy at first glance, it isn't. Terraria is a very different experience all it's own.
  78. May 17, 2011
    This is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, andThis is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, and the eventual mastery of your environment. My only complaint is the lack of an instruction manual, but the discovery actually adds more than it subtracts.

This game is fantastic and I recommend every single person on the planet buy it. It approaches perfection.
  79. Jun 19, 2011
    Beware to start up Terraria. It is highly addictive, eats up your time like nothing else and is some good old-fashioned fun while doing so. A definitive buy.
  80. Aug 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played Terraria for 188 hours before getting tired of it, and I never even touched multiplayer. Compared to Minecraft, it has much better action/adventure and gameplay elements. Combat is a fun mix of melee, ranged, and various magic spells. The metroidvania gameplay keeps things challenging. The amount of items to find is very addicting, but rarely devolves into farming. Even when random worlds gets boring, you can hit the fan sites and download user made maps, which range from parkour obstacle courses to adventure maps with stories and puzzles. My only complaint is the lack of originality: it does shamelessly copy minecraft, especially early in the game, what with chopping down trees and running from zombies at night. But by the end of the game, when you are flying through the air raining crystal bullets down at a giant skeleton head made of metal while it tries to crush, zap blast, and saw you simultaniously, you will realize this is not Minecraft anymore. Expand
  81. May 5, 2013
    After 150 hours of playing I can easily say that this is my favorite sandbox game, 2D game for that matter. There are just so many things to do and every item can be useful. It's only 10 dollars so there is no reason you should turn this indie gem down.
  82. Jan 20, 2015
    Caution!!! Terraria may ruin your life for weeks. This game has addicting gameplay loop which motivates you to dig nonstop through hell. There are too many things to do in this game like exploring, building, mining, farming, shooting, crafting, casting, etc. Don't let graphics and price fool you, if you buy this you will get countless hours of gameplay.
  83. Apr 10, 2013
    Terraria is an amazing game, taking from all aspects: free-roam, rpg, adventure, sandbox, and allows you to do plenty of things in game, such as boss fights, creating your own world, and exploring dungeons and caverns to expand your wealth and arsenal. The sad thing about Terraria is that creativity isn't that possible in 2D compared to minecraft where 3D is amazingly easy, and when youTerraria is an amazing game, taking from all aspects: free-roam, rpg, adventure, sandbox, and allows you to do plenty of things in game, such as boss fights, creating your own world, and exploring dungeons and caverns to expand your wealth and arsenal. The sad thing about Terraria is that creativity isn't that possible in 2D compared to minecraft where 3D is amazingly easy, and when you have all the end-game items there really isn't much to do but delete your character, delete your world and start all over again; or try to make farms of all sorts. The annoying thing about Terraria is that it's very easy when you get the end-game armour and weapons, leaving you to try and figure out what to do. A little imagination, however, can go a long way. Making farms and houses look visually appealing, making boss or gameplay challenges (underwater fight, no armour/potions fight, tier1 gear fight, etc# can make the game a lot more fun than people think. the disappointing thing is that Terraria's updates are slow #especially since they only started updating it again after the 1.1.2 release#, and there's no supply&demand other than ammunition for ranged weapons which is easily accomodated as items have no durability #unlike minecraft) If you enjoy exploring, surviving, creating things to your appeal; then I'd reccomend this game for you, because with a little imagination, something simple goes a long way Expand
  84. Nov 28, 2015
    I said to myself after 100 hours I'll write a review for Terraria, but if somebody told me I was gonna play a single video game for nearly 200 hours, let that game overtake my life, that I would be spending around 5-10 hours almost playing per day not doing anything except building my appartment complex, a battle arena near my house, an elevator pit under my house that goes directly toI said to myself after 100 hours I'll write a review for Terraria, but if somebody told me I was gonna play a single video game for nearly 200 hours, let that game overtake my life, that I would be spending around 5-10 hours almost playing per day not doing anything except building my appartment complex, a battle arena near my house, an elevator pit under my house that goes directly to hell, and taking down every main boss in the game, trying to get the best armor and dying countless times trying to do so... I probably would've laughed. But Terraria pulled me in and didn't let me go until I took down the Moon Lord. Through many....MANY countless deaths due to strong enemies, bosses, falls, explosions, drowning, more bosses, traps, I was able to build and craft everything necessary to survive in a world that's against you from the start.

Terraria drops you in the middle of a procedurely generated world filled with caves, tons of monsters, and nothing but a short sword, a pickaxe and an axe. Soon you'll learn how to build a house for your guide and for you to take refuge at night from the more dangerous monsters that roam around. You'll find ore, craft new weapons and armor to better protect yourself and finally start adventuring further and further, deeper and deeper in the world. Eventually you'll have everything you need to take down the Wall of Flesh and enter Hardmode where new enemies and bosses are introduced, new ore to mine and more weapons and armor to craft.

On the surface you can see this game as a 2D version on Minecraft, but if you look deeper, it's much different. Terraria is more like Metroid with the exploration of a new world you know nothing about and Castlevania with the enemies you fight, and bosses you encounter and a few dungeons to explore with hidden goodies. The only similar thing to Minecraft is really the mining and the crafting, everything else is it's own game and that's where Terraria really shines.

Of course no game is perfect and I do have maybe one gripe with Terraria. For example; Some deaths feel really cheap, enemies (especially in Hardmode) are more unfair than challenging, and you'll die countless times just trying to get your items back before even getting close to your grave stone to collect anything. It's important to keep extra weapons and armor nearly as strong as your equipped weapons. Trust me, if you die and need to go deep down, or far far out into the world, you're gonna need extra armor, weapons and equipables to reach your lost items, especially in Hardmode.

That's really it for gripes, though I'm sure people will be turned off by the slow start in the beginning of the game, only taking the game for surface value, calling it a Minecraft ripoff. But if you stick with it, do some research on what items you'll need, how to craft certain things, maybe getting a friend to help with the harder bosses, I'm sure you'll find an amazing game inside a small little $10 package. The ammount of content you get in this game alone is worth the price of admission, you just have to do your research to truly understand the ins and outs of this game.

With all that said, I can safely say this is one of those games that you can spend hundreds of hours doing nothing but building, crafting and still have a blast not really doing anything at all, or you can take down bosses, and look for the best weapons in the game and explore your world to find everything. With it's cheap price and the ammount of content and so much offered in one little package, I can safely say this game deserves a 9.5/10!
  85. Nov 5, 2013
    This was a well made 2D Minecraft that left me wanting more. It has way more interesting features/creatures then Minecraft, but the fact that it had one less dimension cost it in the "fun" domain. I found this game only to be fun when played with friends. When I played alone I felt alone and got bored easily.
  86. May 25, 2011
    "Let's take Minecraft, rip everything that's GOOD from it, make it 2D, then add fancy weapons and NPCs". Way to go. 10/10 - Best game that I've played all year.
  87. Jul 23, 2011
    Good game, i got this on a bargain offer through steam, like £1.75. its a good fun sandbox game. i know its early in the game's life but it does need some more features, monsters, npcs, crafting recipes and secrets. the dev says there is more features to come and they will be free
  88. Dec 15, 2011
    This is more than what most people call it - a minecraft ripoff in 2D. True enough, it's 2D and it has building mechanisms similar to minecraft, but there're more. It has a social interface similar to Animal Crossing: Wild World, where, after building your own town and clearing achievements, NPCs will start moving into your houses, provided that the conditions are met (of course, theThis is more than what most people call it - a minecraft ripoff in 2D. True enough, it's 2D and it has building mechanisms similar to minecraft, but there're more. It has a social interface similar to Animal Crossing: Wild World, where, after building your own town and clearing achievements, NPCs will start moving into your houses, provided that the conditions are met (of course, the social interface isn't as full developed as Animal Crossing). It also as a mining interface similar to motherlord, the acclaimed flash game in miniclip. You get to dig deep down into the earth for rare minerals and ores, and you can craft your items with those materials. It also has a 2D fighting interface similar to maple story, where you battle monsters and creeps in this side-scrolling game. As such, it's really is not simply a minecraft rip off in 2D, but a hybrid of many other titles that are acclaimed in their own genre of game. Get it, especially if it's on discount and you have the cash to spare. Expand
  89. Aug 15, 2011
    Beautiful game, beautiful sound and inviting music game play is just O.K very intriguing and overall: a better game than Minecraft! Bosses are again O.K and very interesting
  90. Dec 22, 2011
    Terraria is probably my game of the year. You will not find better value for 10$

If played solo, the game is only good. If played with friends, it is exquisite. Minecraft - well, is boring. There is little to do. The combat mechanics suck. Everything is ugly. Terraria is the opposite. There is a point - and since the latest 1.1 patch the amount of content has gone through the roof, snow

If played solo, the game is only good. If played with friends, it is exquisite.

Terraria is the opposite. There is a point - and since the latest 1.1 patch the amount of content has gone through the roof, snow biomes, new bosses, hardmode, tons of new monsters and items.

If you don't like Terraria, you either have no soul, or are not really a gamer.
  91. Nov 21, 2013
    RPG and sandbox elements in game, combined with scripted events such as bosses. The only downside is I wish they introduced an option to get a server list in game instead of resorting to out of game server lists.
  92. Aug 23, 2012
    When people see Terraria, at a first glance, they auto mautically think Minecraft. I'll even confess to being guilty of this too. And I think that this was its downfall, but also its rise. Without Minecraft, Terraria probabley would not have existed. It's not a Minecraft clone but to say it's not Minecraft INSPIRED is ludicrious and you should get your head checked. But It just would notWhen people see Terraria, at a first glance, they auto mautically think Minecraft. I'll even confess to being guilty of this too. And I think that this was its downfall, but also its rise. Without Minecraft, Terraria probabley would not have existed. It's not a Minecraft clone but to say it's not Minecraft INSPIRED is ludicrious and you should get your head checked. But It just would not have existed. Saying that, since it was Minecraft inspired people saw it and just, "Well I'll just play Minecraft." Although its Minecraft Inspired, there is Infinatley more to do. There's actually progession and in Minecraft, well, there just isn't. It's as if a genius, took Minecraft, WoW, and Mario, and said, "Hey, let's make a game!" I have logged 170 hours in on this game, and I still am getting upgrades on my armour and weapons. So much to find, so much to do, although it's an empty goal, you still find yourself raiding that dungeon, trying to find another upgrade. 9 out of 10. Expand
  93. May 28, 2013
    Terraria is a fun game you have many things to do and discover they will add OVER 3000 items on this patch the game is a 2D platformer 9,99 euros for me has so problems so i dont play it anymore but it is my favorite game i am waiting for Starbound
  94. Aug 16, 2013
    I never regretted spending my time on this game. It just have enough content to enjoy for hours. Those who say it's a minecraft copy should play this game before saying that, because its false.
  95. Sep 11, 2013
    Offers a wonderful mix of action/adventure, dungeon-crawling, and sandbox gameplay that can be surprisingly deep despite the deceptively simple retro-2D graphical style.

With randomly-generated worlds that you could mould to however you like; this game has replay value that is only limited by your imagination!
  96. Jul 26, 2015
    Amazing game, one of the best Indie games I have ever bought for sure.
    This game delivers so much depth and surprise if you look behind it pixelated look.
    For 10 bucks it's a must buy !
  97. Oct 26, 2014
    I was genuinely surprised at how much I found myself enjoying this. The combat is a total joy, the controls are solid, exploration is fun with the numerous biomes, building is fun and very customizable (if a little hard), it's got a very nice style (being one of the VERY few games that's managed to make retro graphics look good), and there's a lot of ways to customize your appearance, fromI was genuinely surprised at how much I found myself enjoying this. The combat is a total joy, the controls are solid, exploration is fun with the numerous biomes, building is fun and very customizable (if a little hard), it's got a very nice style (being one of the VERY few games that's managed to make retro graphics look good), and there's a lot of ways to customize your appearance, from some awesome looking armor sets to vanity clothing that pays homage to other games (one of my best moments was finding out that you could get clothing to look like the Ice Climbers. Don't judge me pls).

My only real problem with the game is that like many other sandbox games it gets old after a while. That, and new players are going to find their inital experience somewhat confusing. However, if you're looking for a new time sink, you can't do much better than Terraria.
  98. Jul 19, 2014
    Un jeu 2d vraiment jolie , le gameplay est vraiment plaisant construire sa base , miner , récolter , explorer , puis lorsque votre stuff est assez bon attaquer vous on nombreux boss du jeu :)
  99. Oct 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terraria is a truly awesome retro themed game in which instantly pulled me in, its artwork and music are just wonderful and the world sizes and amount of exploration is massive, a title in which is surely going to give you hours and hours of fun either on the IOS or Console and PC versions. Good work Re-Logic for producing an awesome game! Expand
  100. May 23, 2011
    I have a nasty little cold atm, and I bought this game on Friday and have put in 23 hours by Sunday night.
    This game is quite simply amazing. I love the fact that it is challenging. My only two gripes so far are no Gamepad support, and I have yet to be able to play Multiplayer for some reason I'm still working out. Otherwise I would give this game a perfect 10. This game is an OCD'er's wet dream. :D

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.