8.6

1. Dec 27, 2014
    Great game with tons of content for price. It's nice to see that the devs are still updating it as well.

Think 2D minecraft with more focus on combat and crafting all kinds of crazy stuff.
  2. Feb 4, 2012
    I LOL'd at all the haters that gave this game a 4 or less. What game were you playing?! This is a great 2D Platformer with so much to do and so many items to craft and build. Shallow gamers should stick to shallow games.
  3. Mar 9, 2012
    It's basically Minecraft in 2D and the lovely settings help making it a bit more than the game that copied Minecraft. For a cheap price you can play hours and hours and explore the places around you. The gameplay is extremely well made and offers a lot of possibilities. All in all a very good game, addicting and with a great replay value.
  4. Jul 21, 2012
    Addictive and fun, I've put over 100+ hours into this game in the last couple weeks, and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. I don't like to use wiki's or info sites when I play games like this, and have had a blast discovering each new thing I've found. I'm giving this game a 9 out of 10 only because there are a couple of punishing aspects to the game, that I think shouldn't existAddictive and fun, I've put over 100+ hours into this game in the last couple weeks, and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. I don't like to use wiki's or info sites when I play games like this, and have had a blast discovering each new thing I've found. I'm giving this game a 9 out of 10 only because there are a couple of punishing aspects to the game, that I think shouldn't exist in sandbox games: 1) Potions have a cooldown timer, and 2) Death reduces your armor (you can pay the nurse to get rid of this penalty, but it still feels harsh). These two things are the ONLY times I've ever thought "Hmm, not fun." when playing Terraria. Highly recommended, especially if you think you might like a combination of Minecraft + Metroid + Castlevania. It's even better when you play the multiplayer with a trusted friend. Well worth the ticket price of $9.99, if you're strapped for cash or looking for a really good deal, Steam routinely discounts it 50-75% off. Expand
  5. Sep 9, 2012
    Wonderful game, kept me playing for 220 hours or so, took me about half an hour to really get into it, but when i did, i was hooked! couldnt stop playing this darn game, its gameplay is just drives you to dig more and find more things and even when yourve found everything you can grab a few friends and restart all over again and it will still be enjoyable. everything about this game wasWonderful game, kept me playing for 220 hours or so, took me about half an hour to really get into it, but when i did, i was hooked! couldnt stop playing this darn game, its gameplay is just drives you to dig more and find more things and even when yourve found everything you can grab a few friends and restart all over again and it will still be enjoyable. everything about this game was good, only wish i had more to explore.
    PS: i dont like minecraft
  6. Jan 19, 2013
    I honestly like this game more than Minecraft, which many consider it to be a knockoff of. While you do mine various metals and have pickaxes, it end there. Terraria Has everything from unicorns to laser shooting machine guns, and while the game doesn't portray their vast expanse of items immediately, as you play into the game, you will see how much of a great game Terraria is.
  7. Jan 25, 2013
    Absolutely no complaints about this game. So much fun! It is better to play with a group of friends than alone for sure, but the overall premise made this game amazing. And hardmode....is actually hard. My poor castle was destroyed within the first blood moon :'(

Oh...and the soundtrack makes this game!
  8. Mar 12, 2014
    I have to admit, I bought this game and it was in my steam library a few months before I got into it. After I really started playing it, I was having a blast. I would sit down to check up on my house and ended up playing this for 5 or 6 hour sessions at a time. All of this review so far is pre 1.2 update, by the way. I really think this is one of the best games out there to just relax andI have to admit, I bought this game and it was in my steam library a few months before I got into it. After I really started playing it, I was having a blast. I would sit down to check up on my house and ended up playing this for 5 or 6 hour sessions at a time. All of this review so far is pre 1.2 update, by the way. I really think this is one of the best games out there to just relax and have a good time. Anyone who buys this on PC, (Xbox 360 version SUCKED), will have the time of their life while playing this. For only $10 on Steam, that is an AMAZING price for endless hours of fun I have proudly clocked in 231 hours to this wonder, and am still pleased with it's experience. This is an amazing product and you should definitely buy it. Only if it's on PC though. Expand
  9. Oct 22, 2013
    Terraria is the better sandbox game of the last year.
    Big, various and nice!

Crafting, exploration and monster are the parts that make this game great.
  10. Jun 30, 2013
    When I was browsing through steam looking for a budget game to play on my spare time, I came up with Terraria. I was hooked in by the trailer. It showed me a mix of platform shooter/minecraft type of game. As a kid I loved to play platform shooters in the arcades. I must say that my first experience with Terraria was positive and the game really sucked me in and I even lost some sleepWhen I was browsing through steam looking for a budget game to play on my spare time, I came up with Terraria. I was hooked in by the trailer. It showed me a mix of platform shooter/minecraft type of game. As a kid I loved to play platform shooters in the arcades. I must say that my first experience with Terraria was positive and the game really sucked me in and I even lost some sleep because of it. I was sure that it would be a great experience, I was right and wrong at the same time.

Pros:
    + The game is highly entertaining for as long as it lasts.
    + A perfect mix of farming materials, shooting, slashing and killing bosses
    + It has a vast variety of objects to craft
    + If the 1.2 patch will be free for PC it's a great addition to the game.

Cons:
    - This one is a HUGE minus. The game's monster killing part for me was very short. It took my around 40 hours to be prancing around in full Hallowed armor. I didn't feel like I was rushing through it either. After killing the same bosses again in few minutes I was done with Terraria. The boss encounters didn't provide me with a challenge that I wanted in the first place. I didn't build any arenas or make the encounters easier, simply put the bosses were too easy in my opinion.
    - I felt that the balance between melee and ranged weapons was bad. There's no point in using melee weapons because ranged weapons/magic will get the job done much more easily than the melee weapons do.
    - Building in 2-D wasn't very appealing to me and discovering new caves or creating new worlds didn't add much to the game.
    - Playing an already easy game in multiplayer will just break it, since afaik the boss HP does not scale with the amount of players facing the boss. I realize this would be hard to program since servers can support so many players but still I feel it would be necessary to make killing the bosses even remotely challenging.

Conclusion:
    I think the game was well worth the money I spent on it. I mean 40 hours of fun for 10 is something very special these days, compared to the 50€ you spend on brand new games, which can't buy you more than 12-20 hours of fun. However, I would call it a casual game for younger/inexperienced audiences. If you're looking for a game that challenges you (and your friends), look elsewhere.
  11. Jul 12, 2013
    Terraria is a game that has various cool elements brought together in epic ways, there isn't leveling, nor is there a skill tree, it's still an rpg though. It has epic mining which is the only part that's much like games like minecraft, it also has Castlevania/Metroid/Zelda elements which is in the form of awesome loot, it also has nice original monster, epic boss fights, a goodTerraria is a game that has various cool elements brought together in epic ways, there isn't leveling, nor is there a skill tree, it's still an rpg though. It has epic mining which is the only part that's much like games like minecraft, it also has Castlevania/Metroid/Zelda elements which is in the form of awesome loot, it also has nice original monster, epic boss fights, a good soundtrack, and on the moment I'm typing this there is a big patch in development that will double the amount of items available in the game. If you like games that are rewarding, fun to play and the ability to easily sink up to hundreds or thousand of hours of gameplay without getting bored, this is the game. Expand
  12. Oct 11, 2013
    I love this game. Get over 100 hours into that game. This game is much deeper than you think you not only kill bosses and explore, but unlock modes found rare items make traps pvp with your friends and much more with 1.2 update it become one of my favorites sandbox games.
  13. Nov 14, 2013
    I tried very hard to like this game, I really did. I enjoy this style of game very much, but everything about Terraria was hard to enjoy. Mining and side-scrolling do not mix. You have to click on pixels in order to mine them and listen carefully just to decipher if you are actually in fact mining it at all. There are certain aspects (Like building a home with certain requirements thatI tried very hard to like this game, I really did. I enjoy this style of game very much, but everything about Terraria was hard to enjoy. Mining and side-scrolling do not mix. You have to click on pixels in order to mine them and listen carefully just to decipher if you are actually in fact mining it at all. There are certain aspects (Like building a home with certain requirements that allow various npcs to live there) that I found original and brilliant... I've tried to play this game several times, but every time I find myself thinking, "I could be spending this time on a different building game that is done well.' Expand
  14. Mar 19, 2017
    Despite what a select few idiots complain about, Terraria is an amazing game. When most people look at Terraria, they see a Minecraft ripoff. That's completely wrong. Terraria may share a small amount of things similar to minecraft, like building, crafting, a destructible world, and monsters, but Terraria is very different to Minecraft. Terraria outshines Minecraft in almost every way.Despite what a select few idiots complain about, Terraria is an amazing game. When most people look at Terraria, they see a Minecraft ripoff. That's completely wrong. Terraria may share a small amount of things similar to minecraft, like building, crafting, a destructible world, and monsters, but Terraria is very different to Minecraft. Terraria outshines Minecraft in almost every way. Better bosses, better gameplay, better weapons, better combat. The list goes on and on, but I'll stop here. Expand
  15. Aug 23, 2011
    The first thing I can say about this game is that it's NOT a rip-off of Minecraft. Yes, it has mining and crafting. Yes, the word "biome" gets tossed around a lot in discussions of both...and that's about it. In Terraria, you mine because you need gear to get to the next step in the game. There are no circuits or minecart tracks here- just better gear so you can fight stronger monsters andThe first thing I can say about this game is that it's NOT a rip-off of Minecraft. Yes, it has mining and crafting. Yes, the word "biome" gets tossed around a lot in discussions of both...and that's about it. In Terraria, you mine because you need gear to get to the next step in the game. There are no circuits or minecart tracks here- just better gear so you can fight stronger monsters and more powerful bosses. Past a certain point, there's very little mining at all: you proceed mostly by fighting monsters and finding chests. The game isn't perfect, though: I find that there's a bit of a gap between the gear you'll get from digging underground versus the gear you need to fight the next level of enemies. At one point it almost forms a mobius loop of "You need X sword to beat Y boss and you need to beat Y boss to get X sword". The bosses are also unimaginative in the sense that they don't really vary their attacks or present you with unique challenges- it's mostly just a grind. Also, the fact that you mine for advancement means the ores you find quickly become obsolete- you'll find yourself just ignoring large amounts of ores just because they do diddleysquat for you past a certain point. Still, Terraria is a cheap game that will keep you entertained for a LONG time, and the devs are constantly updating the game, so it can only get better from here. Expand
  16. Jun 5, 2011
    Terraria is a cross between Diablo II, Super Metroid, and SimCity. The sandbox style of play is refreshing and freeing, while you are still presented with a number of quandaries you can only solve through ingenuity or, more often, consulting online resources. Either patience or greed is enough to get you to the end of this game -- while some players might be frustrated in the amount ofTerraria is a cross between Diablo II, Super Metroid, and SimCity. The sandbox style of play is refreshing and freeing, while you are still presented with a number of quandaries you can only solve through ingenuity or, more often, consulting online resources. Either patience or greed is enough to get you to the end of this game -- while some players might be frustrated in the amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B, others will take this as a challenge to discover more efficient means of travel. It's true -- the weakest element of the game's design is the digging. I wish that something besides pixeled squares had been selected as the "atom" of this universe. It creates a mathematical angle to the entire play experience, and frankly, it doesn't do it any favors besides the tired "retro" feel. Yes, I'm twenty-six and I miss my NES, but not everything needs to go back to that 8-bit world.

I love the slow accretion of clearly tiered gear. I dislike the awkward inventory system. I love venturing into new areas once I have the requisite equipment (a la Metroid). I hate digging randomly downward for five minutes before finding another air pocket. I love crafting recipes. I love building houses and other buildings. (I haven't played multiplayer yet and probably never will.)

When I bought this game I had high expectations. They weren't met, but I enjoyed playing anyway.
  17. May 17, 2011
    Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, that sucked me in from the moment I started it up. With great pixel art, endearing music and lots of retro aspects, terraria will occupy me for years to come. This idea is still fresh and I'm glad somebody didn't shy away from it just because of MineCraft's recent success.
  18. May 23, 2011
    Its a simplistic (at first glance) 2d minecraft, but after playing a while you will see its fairly complex. Being a 2d game its loaded with features and little perks that make it enjoyable like no other game. You start of with an axe and a pick. No tutorial at all, there is a guide, but he is not too much help. After beating the first night or two, you will be sucked into the 2d world forIts a simplistic (at first glance) 2d minecraft, but after playing a while you will see its fairly complex. Being a 2d game its loaded with features and little perks that make it enjoyable like no other game. You start of with an axe and a pick. No tutorial at all, there is a guide, but he is not too much help. After beating the first night or two, you will be sucked into the 2d world for longer time. There are many more raw materials and recipes than in minecraft and the world is much more aggressive. Lots of mobs try to kill you. That is balanced out by the fact, that death only resets your position to the spawn point, and makes you drop half of your money. The worlds are HUGE (even the small one), therefore the way back to your last position may take a while.
    The biggest drawback is the fact, there is no dedicated server software, but that probably is just question of time. You can start multiplayer game by hosting it on your desktop.
  19. Jul 6, 2011
    Don't listen to the naysayers that claim Terraria is a 2D Minecraft-rip off. The only thing those two games share are blocks and crafting.

Terraria can be summarized as a combination of 32-bit Legends of Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, a bit of Mario, but with the crafting and construction as inspired by Minecraft. You start off with an axe and a pick and you must construct a home for you and your eventual NPC companions to live in. You explore dungeons, and corruptions of nature for magical treasures. You gather ores and dig deeper and deeper to uncover the Earth's secrets and collect resources for forging new armors, weapons, and tools. And then you construct megaproject castles, forts, bunkers, sky cities, etc! Your imagination is the limit!

And you can do all of this with as many friends as you want on your own servers! You will fall in love with the art style, the quirky music, and the charm of the world. Well worth its affordable price.
  20. Jun 24, 2011
    Amazing game. Well made and coded and allows it to expand almost limitlessly and in which ever direction the Terraria community desires. So far they have listened and done just that and I am happy to say it is my favourite game and comes highly recommended for those who like Minecraft but with more action involved.
  21. Jul 7, 2011
    Posiblemente el goty 2011 y de los ultimos 5 años. Es adictivo, simple y con mucho contenido. Asegura montones de horas. Además los creadores del juego están sacando constantemente contenido nuevo y cumpliedo sus promesas, no como otros de juegos del mismo genero (notch).
  22. Aug 8, 2011
    I got this during the steam summer sale for 2.50 so its a win even if it sucked. Right off the bat it was really fun to play especially on multiplayer like at 10 hours i started to see how small it really was theres only like 10 armor sets and 8 npc's. After 20 hours i had the best gear and i started to think whats the goal there was noting really more to do. So i wouldn't recommend it forI got this during the steam summer sale for 2.50 so its a win even if it sucked. Right off the bat it was really fun to play especially on multiplayer like at 10 hours i started to see how small it really was theres only like 10 armor sets and 8 npc's. After 20 hours i had the best gear and i started to think whats the goal there was noting really more to do. So i wouldn't recommend it for any more then 6 bucks. Cool game not enough content. Expand
  23. Oct 29, 2011
    its just fun to play it for some hours, open world, esp. if you like the 2d and a not too serious multiplayer gaming, reminds me in a good way of the old days ;)
  24. Apr 1, 2012
    Play the game. Torrent it, borrow the .exe files from a friend, whatever you have to do. I am a firm believer of not judging a book by it's cover. If you don't like it, that's okay, but at least you tried it. I tried Minecraft, some time ago then again recently and I just can't get into it, it's so boring and tedious IMO. So try Terraria! if you like it, awesome, if not that's okay! Have fun. :D
  25. Feb 11, 2012
    This is for the developers, and for the developers only. Do not support people who bribe people to write them good reviews. That is not how things are supposed to work.
  26. Jul 17, 2012
    Like some reviewers have said, it's easy to get bored of the game after a while due to its repetitiveness. Some of the greatest games in history have been repetitive, though, right? (Mario anyone?) I believe this game is best played with friends, if you want to truly have fun. How can you show off your amazing new skyscraper you just built if you play alone? You can fill your friends'Like some reviewers have said, it's easy to get bored of the game after a while due to its repetitiveness. Some of the greatest games in history have been repetitive, though, right? (Mario anyone?) I believe this game is best played with friends, if you want to truly have fun. How can you show off your amazing new skyscraper you just built if you play alone? You can fill your friends' houses with sand, build ingenious pitfall or boulder traps, fight epic bosses together, and have fun getting lost in the labyrinthine cave system, where you'll be spending the majority of your time. If you don't have friends to play with, avoid this game. Expand
  27. Sep 11, 2015
    The best world building game PERIOD

(sorry minecraft)

The 1.3 patch takes an already amazing game and adds so much more awesomesauce. Running a server with friends just makes this a blast to play.

To those just getting into the game: In game help is a little sparse, so keep a terraria wiki open in another window.
  28. Dec 31, 2012
    It seems like people either love or hate this game by the reviews. What I find especially funny are the people who don't like this genre giving this game a rating of 0 or 1. What's the point of even rating this game at all? If you gave this game a 0, you're exaggerating. It works, it plays, and there's a lot to it. Another thing that's funny is the Minecraft fans who rip on this gameIt seems like people either love or hate this game by the reviews. What I find especially funny are the people who don't like this genre giving this game a rating of 0 or 1. What's the point of even rating this game at all? If you gave this game a 0, you're exaggerating. It works, it plays, and there's a lot to it. Another thing that's funny is the Minecraft fans who rip on this game because it's a "copy." So pathetic. And yet ANOTHER thing that's funny is the people judging the graphics. You guys realize that's a stylistic approach, right? It has a classic, retro look and feel to it. It wasn't like they created this game but had limitations so they just made the graphics "bad." All in all, the really low ratings come from people who are mad they spent $5 - $10 on a game they found boring/they didn't know what to do, people who love Minecraft and think this game is a copy, and trolls. If you like sandbox games, sidescrollers, fighting enemies with many different weapons, crafting, and building structures, then you'll like this game. Look at videos if you aren't sure. Expand
  29. Aug 9, 2012
    I appreciate why other people may like Terraria, however, i am not one of those people. This game is too complicated for its own good. It tries to simplify the explore-build-discover mindset with 2d graphics, and 'simple' looking menus. It falls far short in my opinion. It provides an instruction level close to that of IKEA. With no way to go but left or right, and tools hard to use andI appreciate why other people may like Terraria, however, i am not one of those people. This game is too complicated for its own good. It tries to simplify the explore-build-discover mindset with 2d graphics, and 'simple' looking menus. It falls far short in my opinion. It provides an instruction level close to that of IKEA. With no way to go but left or right, and tools hard to use and materials difficult to harvest, I could not get past 2 hours with this game. It has potential, but I am clearly not its demographic. Expand
  30. Oct 15, 2012
    It's hardly a "game", I'd call it a level editor for a mediocre platform game. And as a level editor, It's even not that good, because you edit the level with your character, while NPC-s attack. Very steep learning curve - you have to be constantly check wiki to figure out what you can and need to do, but once you get things going, you realize there's nowhere to go.
    It's cute, well done
    It's cute, well done for everything that was intended, but there's very little of it. "Motherlode", somewhat similar Flash game was 1/10 of the length, and had no crafting/building, but still felt times more interesting, and also rewarding in the end, unlike Terraria.
    I never got into Minecraft, but invested few weeks into Terraria and can honestly say, there's nothing to miss. Play it if you have *absolutely* nothing to do and Solitaire has lost even remains of its appeal.
  31. May 3, 2013
    经典的独立游戏代表作,迷你的容量,丰富的内容,单就探索和改造世界的能力就足以令人沉迷许久,并且支持自创服务器邀朋友一起共同冒险。绝对是2D版“我的世界”不二之选。值得收藏和细细把玩。同时期待其精神上的续作Starbound。
  32. Jul 13, 2013
    I think Terraria is a great game!

Some may say this is a 2-D Minecraft

Their wrong

Minecraft has lots of building, Terraria is all about the adventure, with many bosses, underground dungeons, you can go to hell!

It's awesome!
  33. Jul 16, 2013
    I can't say enough good things about this game. Old-school looks, randomly generated worlds, sandbox style go anywhere do anything game, it's like an SNES side scroller mixed with a RPG and minecraft. This game is just FUN and you can sink many hours into it. The only downside to this game is that it is no longer updated, because there is a lot more that could be added in.
  34. Oct 8, 2013
    94 hours... i spent playing this game according to steam.... 94 hours... You could say, "well 94 hours is not that much after a year owning the game..." but no. I spent 94 hours playing this game... in 1 week. 1 week. do the math... seriously DO NOT PLAY THIS IF YOU HAVE A WEEK OFF!!!

Sandbox... 2d. simple. intuitive (must be brain dead not to understand this(if by any chance you are.. use a search tool called google ffs and quit doing anything harder than messing in paint...)) and... challening even though lol its still easy for those who want...

A true masterpiece... definetly not a ripoff minecraft... its like saying any game of a specific genre is a rip off a game of the same genre that came before... lol just because both are sandbox and 1 of the elements is building stuff doesnt mean this is a ripoff..

If i had to describe it with 1 word, it would be addicting... so many things to work on, to make progress. And it is sooo easy to see how it gets harder and what you should do if you want to continue and improve.. seriously... deeper harder nough said.
  35. Jun 2, 2014
    When you first time play this, you will probably lost time sense for couple of days. It will be very hard to stop playing this flawless game. Giving this game 9 out of 10 because it has no endgame, but I hope developers will work on it. They support this game with patches, promised to add achievements and start adding some quests. Looking forward to play this game another 500 hours afterWhen you first time play this, you will probably lost time sense for couple of days. It will be very hard to stop playing this flawless game. Giving this game 9 out of 10 because it has no endgame, but I hope developers will work on it. They support this game with patches, promised to add achievements and start adding some quests. Looking forward to play this game another 500 hours after some big content patch. Expand
  36. Aug 2, 2015
    Overall impression: A rich game, but demanding

I think this game is addressed to proper PC gamers. Not having played games like Minecraft, and preferring a controller to a mouse, I don't think I really found my place in Terraria. I felt slightly left out at first when the game drops you with no explanation. I find it strange when it assumes that you know what you're doing and gives
    Overall impression: A rich game, but demanding

I felt slightly left out at first when the game drops you with no explanation. I find it strange when it assumes that you know what you're doing and gives you only the most basic of help. So I had to go online and watch videos of people playing before I could start figuring things out for myself. Perhaps I'm a bit lazy, but that somehow felt wrong. As I played and got the hang of things, I felt conflicted between how awesome it is, and how time consuming it was. Sort of felt like if I had put that much work into playing an instrument (rather than digging virtual tunnels), that would be time better spent...

As I said, perhaps I'm just lazy, but this game feels more for the proper gamer than for someone who just wants to play an hour or so and do something else with his day.
  37. Mar 17, 2017
    Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good GoodGood Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Expand
  38. Jul 29, 2011
    Quite simply it is fun. I like the randomness of the worlds and the general feel of the game is
    "8-Bit". The music is catchy and there is alot to do. Kill creeps, explore and craft better tools
    and weapons. If you have any interest in games it is worth looking into.
  39. May 31, 2011
    Great game to play with friends. I have been playing this since it came out with a few buddies of mine, and Its been a blast. This game definitely isnt for everyone, but if you value exploration, and rewarding gameplay then this is for you. Also the game is still technically unfinished as the developers have said to expect regular content updates from here on out. Even if they dont updateGreat game to play with friends. I have been playing this since it came out with a few buddies of mine, and Its been a blast. This game definitely isnt for everyone, but if you value exploration, and rewarding gameplay then this is for you. Also the game is still technically unfinished as the developers have said to expect regular content updates from here on out. Even if they dont update the game its still an excellent purchase for 10$ ive already logged a good 40+ hours. thats more than most 60$ console games already. Expand
  40. Jun 1, 2011
    Terraria is a great game, however you must be into this sort of thing in order to truly enjoy it. I really like the fact that everything that is done in this game, must be built off the materials you collect through your adventures. The multiplayer, although not as simple as joining anyone's random world, is still quite fun to play with a friend. However in doing so you should stickTerraria is a great game, however you must be into this sort of thing in order to truly enjoy it. I really like the fact that everything that is done in this game, must be built off the materials you collect through your adventures. The multiplayer, although not as simple as joining anyone's random world, is still quite fun to play with a friend. However in doing so you should stick together most of the time because the spawn rate of creatures does increase greatly! I was a bit lost at the beginning, not entirely sure what to do, so I'd say as far as knocking a few points, having clarity was surely lacking. They have plenty of information online however, along with their youtube videos which can get you started in your own world. (This may just be because they released it earlier than they anticipated for fans chomping at the bit) Just remember this game is it's own genre. It's not so much an RPG, or a 2D shooter! If you check it out and think you wont like it, don't get it! Expand
  41. Jun 7, 2011
    When I saw a video about this game called 'Terraria', I thought the same thing as I think many people did; "this looks like minecraft". First I was pretty sure that it isn't going to get popular just by copying minecraft, but it did. Of course the game isn't a straight copy of minecraft, it's a lot more. I am just one of those persons who didn't enjoy the game one bit.
  42. Jun 9, 2011
    Really like any indie game out there it either drags you right in or you can never quite click with it at all. The game provides no coherent information to fully enjoy it so you may probably find yourself sifting through the many forums via steam and it's parent site. When you get over that gripe, and the slightly irritating multiplayer aspect (It's much easier to download and playReally like any indie game out there it either drags you right in or you can never quite click with it at all. The game provides no coherent information to fully enjoy it so you may probably find yourself sifting through the many forums via steam and it's parent site. When you get over that gripe, and the slightly irritating multiplayer aspect (It's much easier to download and play multiplayer with a program called Hamachi), you get a game with as much character as Minecraft but with inverse interests: the building aspect is nowhere near as satisfying as with Minecraft but the simple yet effective combat and multitude of enemies and some challenge in this respect keep you interested, and addicted to this game, which I can safely say is not the kind of game you should just at face value. Expand
  43. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is just fantastic. There are so many different items and enemys. This should not just be taken as a "minecraft clone" because the 2D makes it feel and play so much differently. This is without a doubt a 10/10 and should not be marked down by those who think that it is rubbish just because it is similar to minecraft. After all, if anything it is a lot like the flash game motherload!
  44. Dec 3, 2011
    I tried so hard to like Terraria. I really, really did. For one thing, it was free. A friend bought it for me. It is a MAJOR waste when you can't learn to like something you didn't even pay for. Also, lots of my friends were playing it for a long time, and they wanted me to join them on their server, hence the free game. So my drive to like Terraria was threefold: it was free so itI tried so hard to like Terraria. I really, really did. For one thing, it was free. A friend bought it for me. It is a MAJOR waste when you can't learn to like something you didn't even pay for. Also, lots of my friends were playing it for a long time, and they wanted me to join them on their server, hence the free game. So my drive to like Terraria was threefold: it was free so it was wasteful not to play it, I didn't want to be rude and not play it with my friends who bought it for me, and I had heard from so many glowing reviews that there was this gem of a game somewhere beneath the surface.

Well I've tried, and tried, and I just can't get excited about Terraria. Anytime I play this game, I am bored stiff. Here's where I think the problem lies:

Yes, there's all the comparisons to Minecraft. Let me tell you, I don't give a crap about any of that. Yes , I've played Minecraft and I liked it a lot. No, I don't care if Terraria "ripped it off" or not. A game can rip of or be inspired by other games as much as it wants. If the end result is fun, we're all the more merry for it. So it's not that it's like Minecraft.

Same goes for all the comparisons to "Metroidvania" games. Fine with me, so it's not that it's like Metroidvania games. The problem, I believe, is that it's not ENOUGH like either a Metroidvania game or a Minecraft game. That's the feeling I couldn't shake when playing this... this game is just so... lukewarm. Let's look at it from the Minecraft side. As a Minecraft-esque game, i.e. a creative tool with adventure elements, it doesn't stand up. It's just not as fun to create things in 2d. You can't think of the crazy, creative ideas that you can in something like Minecraft because there's just one less plane to work with. On top of that, if you do want to approach it mainly as a way to let out your creativity, you are going to be sorely taxed as monsters crawl up your butt from every angle. You're going to be spending just as much material making yourself new weapons to deal with your enemies as you do making structures. There is too large a helping of action for the arm-chair architect. Also, your creativity will be stunted in the Crafting department. There is no playing around with materials and discovering new combinations here. If you have the raw goods in your inventory, what you can make with them is laid out before you. As a creative tool, Terraria just doesn't stand up. It's just not as good.

Now let's look at Metroidvania aspect. The same thing has happened here, the action and adventure has been deluded by the crafty-half. The game doesn't respond or play like your standard Metroid shooter/platformer. The physics of your character are clunky and your weapons imprecise. You can tell this game was NOT coded with simply high-quality side-scrolling action in mind.

What happens with this game is simply this: they tried to combine two niches and wound up watering down both. If you want to play a side-scrolling indie action game on the PC, for god sake, play Capsized or something. After coming back from that, you won't be able to stand Terraria. If you want to build something, play Minecraft. If you really are the niche player these programmers were looking for and you simply MUST have side-scrolling action and building/crafting in the same game... well... then I guess you will love this thing. If you ask me though, you'll only love it because there's nothing better out there in the genre at the moment, just this I gave this a negative score, despite the fact that the structure of the game is basically sound, because the game isn't even entertaining to me in a bad way. It is frustratingly bland.
  45. Aug 25, 2011
    Fantastic game, with constantly increasing depth. Anyone who claims that it's like minecraft hasn't played enough to write a proper review, because it's not. It feels much more like a metroidvania game than anything else, and is almost entirely about item collection to access new areas. Unlike metroid, though, the reason you don't enter the new areas isn't because you don't haveFantastic game, with constantly increasing depth. Anyone who claims that it's like minecraft hasn't played enough to write a proper review, because it's not. It feels much more like a metroidvania game than anything else, and is almost entirely about item collection to access new areas. Unlike metroid, though, the reason you don't enter the new areas isn't because you don't have super-missles, but because the enemies there will kill you instantly. The mining elements are basically just ways to collect stuff to make cooler stuff, and not at all like minecraft. The point of the game is not to build or be especially creative, but to improve yourself via item collection. Expand
  46. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is probably the most overrated thing i have ever seen. It is full of bugs, and is charging 10-20 dollars. The game needs fixing and mod support, it is boring after you get everything, as there is no point to continue, do to the bad building engine with limited materials. Very low replay value. Not worth buying unless its on sale for five dollars or less. How this is not a gameThis game is probably the most overrated thing i have ever seen. It is full of bugs, and is charging 10-20 dollars. The game needs fixing and mod support, it is boring after you get everything, as there is no point to continue, do to the bad building engine with limited materials. Very low replay value. Not worth buying unless its on sale for five dollars or less. How this is not a game still in alpha or beta is beyond me. This is NOT a finished project. 5/10 Expand
  47. Dec 2, 2011
    This game took me about fifteen minutes of saying "what the heck?" before it got me hooked. That said I'm 5 hours in or so and it's really impressing me. It may be simple graphics, but, if you really look you'll see tons of attention to detail with regards to lighting up different parts of the world. Water or lava effects the terrain in really incredible ways. This is no mario orThis game took me about fifteen minutes of saying "what the heck?" before it got me hooked. That said I'm 5 hours in or so and it's really impressing me. It may be simple graphics, but, if you really look you'll see tons of attention to detail with regards to lighting up different parts of the world. Water or lava effects the terrain in really incredible ways. This is no mario or metroid from ten years ago. This game is beautiful in it's own right. It's fun, creative, and the changing music as you dig deeper is a really nice touch. For what I paid this is a 10/10 Expand
  48. Oct 19, 2011
    Set in a charming 2D world, this game of building, exploring and combat is great fun, especially with a friend or seven in multiplayer. The smallest worlds are still a decent size, with the huge ones taking forever to explore. You can build a huge stone castle or a series of cosy wooden cottages. Many deadly enemies and huge bosses can be found, with dozens of interesting weapons andSet in a charming 2D world, this game of building, exploring and combat is great fun, especially with a friend or seven in multiplayer. The smallest worlds are still a decent size, with the huge ones taking forever to explore. You can build a huge stone castle or a series of cosy wooden cottages. Many deadly enemies and huge bosses can be found, with dozens of interesting weapons and tools available to help defeat them. This game can give you ten times as much fun as a game ten times the price. Expand
  49. Apr 27, 2012
    I wasn't going to review this game but after seeing the absolutely horrible low-rated reviews for this game by little kids with terrible grammar, I felt that I needed to throw in my 10. It's a great game for people who like Minecraft style items/digging/crafting, 2d platforming and combat, and adventuring.
  50. May 11, 2012
    Best 2.50$ game I have ever bought. Yes it's almost exactly like Minecraft but once you start playing it and exploring it, it so isn't. The worlds are as small or as massive as you want and your destiny in it is truely up to you. For the 1st hour or more the game will be a drag because you only have basic tools with no armor but once you start collecting better and better gear and weaponsBest 2.50$ game I have ever bought. Yes it's almost exactly like Minecraft but once you start playing it and exploring it, it so isn't. The worlds are as small or as massive as you want and your destiny in it is truely up to you. For the 1st hour or more the game will be a drag because you only have basic tools with no armor but once you start collecting better and better gear and weapons it becomes a blast. The music is alright but it can get on the annoying side after a while so that's why I just turned it down. There is a tad steep learning curve when you first start out and even more so when you get more and more stuff that's why the Terraria Wiki is your best friend for finding out what you need to know. My only real nit pick with this game is it is over really fast once you get going and the developer has already said on his website that he ceased development for it which is a pity because it is a fun game but I can also see his point. Expand
  51. Nov 8, 2012
    My bro gifted this to me on Steam, and let me tell you, it was one of the best days of my life. I spent the next 17 hours running around in 2D mayhem land. The wall system is really cool, needing to have background walls to prevent monsters from spawning. It is a fun game, and I encourage all to buy and play it.
  52. Aug 20, 2013
    Terraria, amazing adventure, exploration, rpg, crafting, building, fighting, bosses and flying island, terraria has got all of those and it doesn't cost much! I highly recommend this game, if you played minecraft before and start playing terraria, please don't use torch as a weapon :D!
  53. Dec 7, 2013
    Frankly one of the best games on Steam. Contrary to popular belief, it has little to do with Minecraft; Minecraft is a building game with some adventure elements, whereas Terraria is an adventure game with some building elements. Much more so than the building, exploring is the key of Terraria, with actually fun gameplay (unlike Minecraft) and progression galore. Best played with friends,Frankly one of the best games on Steam. Contrary to popular belief, it has little to do with Minecraft; Minecraft is a building game with some adventure elements, whereas Terraria is an adventure game with some building elements. Much more so than the building, exploring is the key of Terraria, with actually fun gameplay (unlike Minecraft) and progression galore. Best played with friends, but it's still serviceable in single player. Also recently got a major content update, with more on the way. Heartily recommended to anyone who's up for some Metroidvania-ish gameplay. Expand
  54. Oct 29, 2013
    Terraria is the second best game I've played, first being MC. Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, it got my interest since I was finding an awesome game in my computer. anyways, thanks for your awesome game, Andrew "Redigit" Spinks!
  55. Nov 26, 2013
    I bought Terraria to fill time a resource that I had in abundance, a couple of months ago and began playing it on "medium core" difficulty. After reaching hard-mode and continuing for quite some time thereafter, I must conclude that the game is pretty good.

My first impressions were not very positive it took a while for me to work out the controls and get a feel for the game and all of that could have been avoided had the developers thought fit to include a tutorial or introduction of some sort. The beginning of the game was rather slow, too, being mainly filled with clunky melee combat and mining.

Had I been busy, I would probably have abandoned Terraria because of the slow start but, with a lot of time to waste, I played for long enough to acquire decent equipment and reach hard-mode, where the game really begins. The game play later on was well worth it.

I did not expect to enjoy the sandbox house-building aspects that Terraria borrows from Minecraft. I was looking for a fun platformer. I was wrong the building elements drew me in completely. They're incredibly well executed, fun, cathartic and brilliantly integrated into the game play. There's nothing quite like the feeling of relief that one gets from a perfectly timed retreat to one's self-built refuge in Hell.

I'd recommend Terraria to anyone with a lot of time to play it and patience in spades. It is both fun and rewarding.
  56. Dec 21, 2013
    I have played over 100 hours of this game and I can say that is is perfect. It gives hours upon hours of game play although its not for everyone. Although yes you build and mine like minecraft its nothing like it. It has RPG elements with bosses and everything. It can start out a little slow but it gets much more fun later on.Its a $10 master piece maybe not for everyone but I say at least try it
  57. Dec 27, 2013
    My first thought was of this being a 2D copy of Minecraft, though this added many more features such as merchants (pre minecraft villager) and bosses. It also benefits from regular updating, with a massive update adding a hardmode adding extensive replayability and giving players that had left a chance to come back and experience more. I'd recommend coming back if you left pre-hardmode andMy first thought was of this being a 2D copy of Minecraft, though this added many more features such as merchants (pre minecraft villager) and bosses. It also benefits from regular updating, with a massive update adding a hardmode adding extensive replayability and giving players that had left a chance to come back and experience more. I'd recommend coming back if you left pre-hardmode and giving this game a try if you don't need a story to guide you. I had difficulty getting past the limiting 2D exploration. It's worth a sale price and a good 20 hours of play time, but it's not one of my favorites. Expand
  58. Feb 1, 2014
    I have lost many hours on this game that I would care to admit.
    People compare this to Minecraft. This is an insult to Terraria.
    The content you get from this 2D side scroller is enormous.
    Don't want to say to much more except that if you don't buy and play this game, you are truly missing out.
  59. Jan 1, 2015
    I see nothing wrong with this game.

It does lack tutorials, but not many games have that now adays. And anyways, you have the guide, which helps you check what you can craft with this certain item. The lack of tutorial is actually a good thing to me, it makes exploring and seeing what I can use this new material I got for really enjoyable. All-in-all this is my favourite game of ALL
    I see nothing wrong with this game.

All-in-all this is my favourite game of ALL TIME. While the second is awesomenauts.
    I very heavily suggest you to try this game. Especially if you like survival games or have a friend who has the game as well (two player is amazing, though it's sadly difficult to make a server). After you finish the game once, and start getting bored. Just take a break from the game, maybe 3-4 months or so, and then you will be able to feel the full joy from the game again, discluding the exploring part.
  60. Mar 8, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is awesome, f*ck those f4gs who say that is a minecraft rip-off or is simplistic etc. it's a big game, really big, it have over 2000+ items, and the next update (1.3) will bring over 500+ items, reaching the item number 3000 in september of the last year, it's a very addictive game, yes, thei'r worlds are small but the really big pro is that you can "travel worlds", you can use 1 character in 5 different worlds, it's very cheap, specially in the steam sales (i bought it for 2 dollars), if you got anything (duke fishron defeated + all events done) there is alot more to do, you can build really big buildings, it have over +500 blocks to build with, the developers are really good at hyping, this is game have alot of bosses, 20 aprox. here they are in order of sequence YOU should beat:
    -King Slime
    -Eye of Cthulhu (sorry bad grammar)
    -Eater of worlds

-Skeletron Prime
    -Plantera
    -Paladin
    -Golem
    -Lunar Eclipse (this is isn't a boss, but it's recommended to beat before the next boss/event)
    -Pumpking and Mourning Wood(Pumpkin moon)
    -Santa NK-1, Everscream and the Ice Queen (Frost moon)
    -Duke Fishron

Those are mobile/console exclusive
    -Lepus
    -Arch Wyvern
    -Turkor the ungrateful
    -Ocram

And now the mods, yes, they are a bit slim, but those make a HUGE HUGE REALLY HUGE modification, the minimum a mod of items they add are 200, bosses 3 and weapons 50, there are like 5 or so, 2 are for the lastest version (1.2.4.1), the first one is the oblivion mod, it have the ability to add to up to 600 of HP, it adds weapons 2x stronger than the terra blade and very strong armors, and over 5 bosses, wich 2 are almost the same but in the difficulty is really big, it hads another mode of game, the super hard-mode, it's after unlocking hard-mode and beating the nuclear slime or so, this unlocks most of the game content, the second one is N Terraria, it adds a RPG style, you can now choose a race, and have up to 3/4 teammates/pets, you can share inventory and it adds some biomes, + mini-bosses

I have to mention the biomes? yes i do, it have 20 in total (almost), and they MAKE a difference, not like minecraft, they are just a reskin of everything and it's the same, this adds different enemys, loots, bosses etc. i mentioned that terraria have almost over 100 weapons?, this game is filled with a really big content, and it's very cheap, less than 15 dollars, and it doesn't need more than 300 MB, i think it needs 128 or something like that

10.5/10 Would Buy again
  61. Jul 26, 2011
    Huge game. Good controls. UI is a little wonky, but you can get used to it. Not a fan of not leveling up, seems like the perfect opportunity. I don't get any satisfaction from killing baddies without getting XP, but that's just me.
  62. Jun 9, 2011
    I've been craving a 2D SNES looking game for awhile and here it is. This game sold me after I watched the trailer and the $10 for this game was well spent. It's much so different from minecraft. It has more emphasis on combat with a lot of different tools/weapons/Spells. It still has a good sandbox side to it but minecraft would be better for building as it is 3D. I guess the best way toI've been craving a 2D SNES looking game for awhile and here it is. This game sold me after I watched the trailer and the $10 for this game was well spent. It's much so different from minecraft. It has more emphasis on combat with a lot of different tools/weapons/Spells. It still has a good sandbox side to it but minecraft would be better for building as it is 3D. I guess the best way to describe what this game is like is a Zelda/castelvania as far as getting more life and useful tools in a progressive way. You are constantly trying to get better armor through mining rarer ores or killing bosses. The developers are hard at work at all times updating the game with more content for free. I was kind of skeptical at first about buying this game as there weren't any review on release date but It was worth more than the $10 dollars. I has a lot to do, a lot of re-playability, and multiplayer with randomly generated worlds to sandbox in and co-op. If your not sure about picking it up, "just do it." You won't regret it. Expand
  63. Jun 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has absorbed more of my time than any other game for at least the last 2 years. It has beautiful pixel art, the platforming mechanics feel just right. I'm not hugely keen on the weapon swinging animations but they can be forgiven.

I like the Castlevania style gameplay and the fact that it has the random level generation of Spelunky which I also enjoyed. Obviously the Minecraft influence is strong but the result is a completely different feeling game which obviously takes influences from lots of different areas. To call it a rip off would be like calling every open world game with vehicles every made a Grand Theft Auto rip off. Absurd, I know!

I would definitely recommend giving this a chance. It feels a bit slow at first but there are so many weapons to find and so many gadgets to use that totally change the way that you play. From jetpacks to grappling hooks to guns and swords. There's also multiple boss fights and different biomes and lots of clothes and armour. The game is nowhere near finished either and new content is added to the game very frequently.

I'm actually appalled at some of the hate this game has garnered from Minecraft fans. I like Minecraft for very different reasons to Terraria. It plays in a very different way and you find yourself with very different aims in either game. there definitely tends to be more emphasis on building in Minecraft. I know Notch is a big fan of Terraria.
  64. May 22, 2011
    Terraria was an entertaining game from the moment I started playing. While its roots are deeply entrenched in Minecraft, the depth and gameplay definitely strive for more. The most fun I had while playing was during multiplayer online with friends on a server we created. The constant need to improve your gear and gain better loots while you dig deeper and deeper into the world was fun andTerraria was an entertaining game from the moment I started playing. While its roots are deeply entrenched in Minecraft, the depth and gameplay definitely strive for more. The most fun I had while playing was during multiplayer online with friends on a server we created. The constant need to improve your gear and gain better loots while you dig deeper and deeper into the world was fun and challenging. My only gripes with the game were with the lack of different types of enemies as you progressed and the speed at which you could gain everything in the game. After 2 days of playing I had the best armor, weapons, and other equipment equipped and found myself bored. Its too bad that the creators didn't see a need to include more than two or three different mobs to kill per biome that you progress through. Also, the difficulty in the game really can only be gauged by the amount of damage you take from the nine or ten mobs that spawn constantly. After appropriate armor upgrades which are easily obtainable through multiple low penalty deaths, you are pretty much unstoppable within 5 hours of playing. Also, after you have acquired everything that you want in the game, there is no incentive to restart a new character or to continue playing. Unless additional content comes fast and often, I could see this game falling by the wayside for many gamers as they seek entertainment elsewhere to quench the thirst for fun games. Even with these things that i have pointed out as flaws (no game is perfect) Terraria brought good ideas and freshness to the 2d plane I thought I would never have interest in again. While the game can be thoroughly combed within ten hours, and a bit repetitive at times, It was still engaging through its entirety and fun. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys Minecraft but wishes for more action oriented gameplay. For now I'll give it a 8 leaning more toward 7.5 until more content is released. The potential is there and for 10 bucks its well worth the investment. Expand
  65. Aug 6, 2011
    Interesting game with a sand box style that has a much heavier idea of combat than minecraft had. I prefer this 2d setting to any other virtual sandbox's so far personally.
  66. Jun 20, 2011
    Picked up the game for the price of a good meal and progressed through it steadily. It has a nice combat setup similar to the Castlevania games on DS. Overall it felt unfinished at first, but now the game is seeing BIG regular updates each week, over 60 hours into it and still feeling great that new content is coming, already at patch 1.05 and the content and improvements just keepPicked up the game for the price of a good meal and progressed through it steadily. It has a nice combat setup similar to the Castlevania games on DS. Overall it felt unfinished at first, but now the game is seeing BIG regular updates each week, over 60 hours into it and still feeling great that new content is coming, already at patch 1.05 and the content and improvements just keep flowing, this game is leaving Minecraft in it's dust trail for me.

This games ratings have been flooded with what I can only describe as brain damaged geeks rating at 0 to bring the average score down, this games score will only improve over time and to rub it in Notch is taking ideas from it already.

You can play and like both games, competition is good for both games, even though they are so different in gameplay only the block placing is similar.
  67. Jun 23, 2011
    Terraria is a good deal. For an Indy game its has excellent replay value.
    Yeah you can compare it to minecraft in its mechanics, but its a rather weird comparison. The updates provide extra content, it is a fun multiplayer co-op and pvp. The Graphics are what they are... retro. The gameplay is fun, and yes it can wear thin... but updates keep it interesting enough.
    I give it a 9 because
    Terraria is a good deal. For an Indy game its has excellent replay value.
    I give it a 9 because its very sandboxy, you can build stuff, you can create stuff and it isnt a huge burden on todays computers. The Bosses provide some insanely tense moments. It's bound to become a 10 as it gets updated with newer features.
  68. Jun 25, 2011
    I've only played this a little at a friend's house, but so far it is amazing. Everyone who says this is a "2d Minecraft ripoff" is a complete idiot. So they are both made of blocks, and they both have similar tools. But Minecraft is more of a creative game with less emphasis on survival and exploration, whereas in Terraria you build to protect yourself and not just for the sake ofI've only played this a little at a friend's house, but so far it is amazing. Everyone who says this is a "2d Minecraft ripoff" is a complete idiot. So they are both made of blocks, and they both have similar tools. But Minecraft is more of a creative game with less emphasis on survival and exploration, whereas in Terraria you build to protect yourself and not just for the sake of building. It also puts more focus on the adventuring aspect, encouraging you to go out and find new things rather than staying in the same general area. Also, the addition of NPCs gives Terraria a hint of RPG that Minecraft doesn't have (That's not to say it's bad, just that that's one part Mojang decided not to put in their game. But this review is about Terarria anyway, so who cares.) In short, the two are completely different games.
    Now, if you are griping about the graphics, then I must assume you are twelve years old and don't have the maturity to realize that you are supposed to PLAY a game. If you want to WATCH something because it LOOKS good, that's what movies are for. And just because this game doesn't look like Call of Duty or StarCraft 2 doesn't make it bad. And also, even if the game looked like ****, as long as the graphics aren't so confusing and/or poor quality that it detracts from your ability to preform as a player, then it shouldn't matter. And if you say the graphics are stolen, then you are simply flaming with no evidence to back your statement up. And in a game where most graphics are a small, low-resolutuion, retro-RPG-style sprite, it's not hard to accidentally make something similar to another game.
    And criticizing the music is even more of a boneheaded thing than criticizing the graphics. I mean, I personally like it but if you don't, there are things called the "volume key" and the "options menu," in which you can turn things like that off. Incredible, I know.
    The clunky controls are hard to back up, but I suppose nothing is perfect. Same thing with the game speed in the beginning. Please note that I said "in the beginning," because after you have been going for a while things will start to seem to become faster by a combination of getting better tools and simply getting used to it. They could have made it a bit quicker to get going but it's still not as bad as some other games I have seen.
    And, don't just take it from me. There are plenty of professional, well-known gamers (TotalBiscuit for one) who would also back this and other, similar games up in the fight against shallow-minded graphics hounds
  69. Jul 12, 2011
    If you liked/played Minecraft and want to buy this game because you think this is similar, then this is the review for you.

My very first thought was: this gotta be a Minecraft clone in 2D. I like minecraft, so why shouldnt i give this one a chance? Plus, i like Platformers, so how could i get wrong? To be honest, my first impression was a really bad one. After creating a detailed

To be honest, my first impression was a really bad one. After creating a detailed character for your adventure and choosing the world's size, you're dropped in a landscape with nothing but a guy next to you called "guide". The Guide gives you a few random tips, but only the first 4 or 5 are really usefull. Since the game does not provide any other form or tutorial, your first instinct is to read through all the tips. After around half of them you'll be totally confused and they'll stop making sense to someone who just played the game. The basic mechanisms of the game, such as crafting (which is REALLY essential) are not explained in detail. I had to watch tutorials on youtube in order to understand how to get started. Since there is a huge community for this game, it was not hard to find a good tutorial in no time. Still i dont think this is how it should be.

Like in Minecraft, you can harvest ressources such as wood, stone, iron ores and so on using the right tools. The resources can be placed in order to build structures, traps and so on, or they can be crafted, for example into better tools, pieces of armor or even weapons. Unlike minecraft, this game has a remarkable focus on defeating enemies, exploring dangerous caves and areas, dungeons and even finding magic pieces of equipment that increase your character's skills. Even spells, guns and many types of weapons can be found in chests, crafted or looted from killed enemies. You can improve your maximum health and acquire mana-energy which is used to cast spells (which can be rarely found). Several random events can take place in the world, most of them will confront you with threats in form of enemies. Even strong Bosses may occur which turn out to be a real challange without being too hard to beat, provided you have the right gear.

If you want to dig your way to the lowest levels of the game: have fun, it might take a while. The world is limited into all 4 directions (up, down, left, right) but there is more than enough space in all directions, and all of the directions (even up) has something interesting to explore. You can move around the world and find different Biomes which also have different undergrounds. Those vary in difficulty significantly, but since you always start in the "easiest biome" with the "easiest underground", thats fine.

If you think you're done with one world, you can just create another one and play it with your old char. You, of course, keep your items and upgrades. The same works vice versa: If you cant get enough of your current world, you can create a new character and play the world again. Structures built and wholes dug of course remain in the game.

As the Game goes on, you can even have NPCs move into your house (provided certain criteria are met or certain tasks have been fulfilled). The NPCs are mainly shops that sell potions, basic equipments, weapons and vanity items.

Now to the "But"s. There are quite a few of them. At first, the game seems to have a lot of content and it is a hell lot of fun to explore it. But you quickly realise: as soon as you have mid-game-gear (acquireable in only a few hours if you know where to find it), you already run out of challanges. While your first boss fight might have taken you quite some time and nerves, you'll quickly find yourself spamming that boss only a few hours later. The underground levels become boring really fast since they offer even less of a challange. As soon as you have reached high end gear (which as well can be acquired in no time if you know how), nothing can stop you.

While at first trying to acquire every little ore you find, later you'll even leave valuable ores behind because harvesting them is still unrewarding as soon as you got your gear.

I'll draw a quick bottom line since i'm running out of characters. This game IS fun, i'll give it that. But this is not the kind of game you can play every day. This is not minecraft. It has nothing to do with it except that you can dig and craft. It is more like an RPG. And as soon as you got your gear, you'll bore yourself to hell. Starting a new character wont help because as soon as you know how to get better gear or where to find it, you'll have maxed your second char in one or two evenings, facing the same problem again you had yesterday: you got nothing left to do.

This game needs more challanges on the long run. But for the first time playing, it will be fun, i promise it. And though this is not a long-term-burner, spending those 10 bucks on it aint the worst decision to make.
  70. May 31, 2012
    Its a great game very fun and addictive, also have very big updates(Free) companies should learn from this guys. A lot of items, materiales, weapons. Its just great :)
  71. Aug 2, 2011
    The game starts out quite good. It addicted me and got me playing it for hours. Digging, building, crafting, exploring... but once you craft the best equipments kill every boss and go through all events it starts to fell like "is that all?". Well, after that you can go to multiplayer PvP but I didn't enjoyed it that much.I think the game has a good potential to expand and improveThe game starts out quite good. It addicted me and got me playing it for hours. Digging, building, crafting, exploring... but once you craft the best equipments kill every boss and go through all events it starts to fell like "is that all?". Well, after that you can go to multiplayer PvP but I didn't enjoyed it that much.I think the game has a good potential to expand and improve considerably. So, until the new promised "massive updates" show up, my opinion on it is "fun but a little disappointing in the long term" Expand
  72. Oct 26, 2011
    very fun game that feels like an epic adventure in 2d. you gather resources to build your home and equipment in order to fight stronger and stronger enemies. there is a sense of discovery as you dig through the world looking for special items and precious metals. there are so many things to do and you have total freedom like minecraft. it has a periodic updates and there is lots of customvery fun game that feels like an epic adventure in 2d. you gather resources to build your home and equipment in order to fight stronger and stronger enemies. there is a sense of discovery as you dig through the world looking for special items and precious metals. there are so many things to do and you have total freedom like minecraft. it has a periodic updates and there is lots of custom content put out by the community, so it never gets boring. Expand
  73. Aug 30, 2013
    Edit score updated since 'hard mode' was added to the game (and with more extra content and depth than any 'hard mode' I've ever seen in a videogame before).

I would have enjoyed this game far, far more if there were more challenging game modes. I play it hardcore to increase the challenge, but as most good gamers know, hardcore is a little more of an excersice in patience than it is skill, and it would have been nice to just see a 'hard' difficulty level, with stronger monsters, and perhaps with a save point each dawn, to up the challenge.
  74. Nov 30, 2011
    Terraria is all about the crafting that it forgets to focus on core gameplay by offering balancing issues and bad appeal

Terraria, at first glance will look very reminiscent of something of a 2D clone of Minecraft with a sort of Super Mario Brothers feel to it. And in a very broad sense it is virtually exactly that, and if your the style of person who throws away a game after 10 minutes of nothing, this game just isn't for you. However spill some time into it, and you can get lost in a haven of randomly generated dungeons, start building an entire town for you and your friends in multi-player, and explore the devious world of The Corrupted lands in search of world eaters of the ever increasingly annoying Eye Of Cythulu if your friends continuously spawn it.
    When you start up Terraria for the first time you are instructed to create your very first character to explore the vast expansive worlds of Terraria. Now, as well as a few similar and crazy hairstyles, there's not much at your disposal to customize your character. Besides hairstyles, there is nothing to change, merely altar the colour, and even that is a little bit frustrating, as you use those RGB sliders. Most people, unless you want to be really picky because for the majority of the time you will wear armour anyway, will just keep the character as the default look. There is nothing wrong with this though, in-fact if you move the sliders to attempt to change the character you normally end up completely ruining it anyway. On the other hand, customization of armour and weapons when you get into the game is much, and I mean much better. Think of a random weapon or armour style in your head, and it is probably craft-able in Terraria. Ranging from the simple crafted items early on such as copper swords and basic handguns found in some underground caves, to star cannons, massive lava flails and even lightsabers! Armour varies a lot too, and if you want survive after nightfall when the zombies and weird floating eyeballs are out to kill you, your going to need to know which armour as better for your style of play. Want to rummage through underground caves without the need for torches? Go for the molten armour. Or how about for moving round really quickly? How about shadow armour? The possibilities are endless! This brings me to my next point, Terraria doesn't seem to want to teach people how to play there game at all. There's no tutorial mode, only a guide there which gives you very vague hints and tips now and again on how to do things, sometimes this doesn't really help at all either. The only way your going to even learn much about Terraria is if you have numerous hours on your hands to read through an entire wiki site dedicated to Terraria.
    The game-play mainly consists of crafting better and better items to survive in your randomly generated world and fend off enemies during the night. However if you build a house to stay in at night, you probably wont have much problems with enemies during the night. Also, Terraria does a good job of adding a different variety of random events to the game to vary it up a little at night. At times a bloodshot moon will occur and enemies will spawn at twice the rate and be twice as hard to defeat and be twice as powerful. Sometimes a massive goblin army will start to march towards your house and try to defeat you. And by defeating these this can normally get you some very respectable rewards. However these events don't happen on a regular enough basis, and so you can get bored of continuously fending off zombies as you try to build your house during the night. And your first shadow orb encounter can be a fun but surprising one. Unless you read the wiki, you'll try hitting it, it will disappear and an enemy boss, the eater of worlds will appear. Now if your unprepared, then be ready to die tonnes of times before you defeat him, because he will follow you whenever you spawn until you kill him, and he has tonnes of HP.
    These random events and enemy boss fights can make multi-player and playing with friends a blast. And what's more, opening up multi-player gives you and your friends even more choices to make on were to go and what to do! As long as your friends aren't jerks, you should have no trouble with massive boss fights as long as your mate doesn't keep spawning them.
    Recently Terraria released a new patch which contained a variety of new mobs such as jungles, bats and bigger deserts. The new mobs are great, but some rarely appear, and it's frustrating when you can't find the one your looking for. Overall, Terraria is a good enough game to have you playing for a long time, and there is enough new content in there to keep you playing for a long amount of time, but some things may not appeal to the more casual gamers such as the crafting system which can be over-complicated, and the mobs need to be balanced out a lot.
  75. Jan 17, 2012
    So, I think this game is amazing. I wanted to wait to see what kind of content they came out with before giving my rating to the game. After playing for months on end, and still having fun building, exploring, trading, designing, fighting ect...I still have a ton of fun playing the game. The reason I give a 9 out of 10, is becuase of 2 minor complaints. The single player mode is boringSo, I think this game is amazing. I wanted to wait to see what kind of content they came out with before giving my rating to the game. After playing for months on end, and still having fun building, exploring, trading, designing, fighting ect...I still have a ton of fun playing the game. The reason I give a 9 out of 10, is becuase of 2 minor complaints. The single player mode is boring after a while. It does take a long time, and it would be helpful if you could copy rooms if you have the materials. Just simple things, like a wall that is x blocks high, a matching wall on the other side, an automatic roof and automatic background. The background gets very tedious, especially if you want to do something complicated or layered. They did address this, so it is only a minor concern. The other problem I have is no good multilayer support yet. I understand if they cannot create dedicated servers for the game, but Steam has server support for all kinds of games already. Also, there is still a low cap of players which is annoying. I would love to come with a team of people and build a city or something, but 4 people just doesn't cut it, and even building a tower takes a long time. I very much look forward to playing this game for a long time, and hope to see continued content updates that both focus on balancing things you can build/design and things you can fight/craft. I think the sky is the limit for this game, and as long as you have an imagination, you will be very happy playing. For people looking for a more structured game experience, with a start, middle and end, then this game is not for you. There is no end for the game, and you can keep coming up with new things and making even more interesting towns

The biggest pluses for this game for me, especially with the advent of switches, is the limitless things you can build and create. You can build modern looking skyscrapers, and you can build castles/dungeons. You can make houses out of anything, and even create bio-domes that capture the essences of a type of area. You can build, craft, fight, explore, treasure hunt, PvP. It may have no start, middle or end, and it may be easy to get max hearts/mana (which I hope they increase in later updates though a more difficult way of getting them), but the amount of depth to the game is huge. It would probably take a month of solid game play to find the mats for and craft the best stuff. You could spend an entire year building a city and underground if you wanted to, and make your own world. The only limiting factor to this game is you.
  76. Dec 20, 2011
    Terraria is one of those 2d platform games that I can't seem to get my hands off! I've bought it last week, and it has already consumed 50 of my hours. Although many might say that this is simply a 2d minecraft, the feel for this game is much different - Terraria is more developed, and has much more fantasy features than minecraft does. It is also still developing as a game by itself! ItTerraria is one of those 2d platform games that I can't seem to get my hands off! I've bought it last week, and it has already consumed 50 of my hours. Although many might say that this is simply a 2d minecraft, the feel for this game is much different - Terraria is more developed, and has much more fantasy features than minecraft does. It is also still developing as a game by itself! It deserves a new critic review in the near future, as the game updates make the game experience much more overwhelmingly fun. Expand
  77. Jan 2, 2012
    Ignore everybody saying it is basically a 2D Minecraft. The only real things it shares are crafting and mining. Terraria has WAY more depth than Minecraft, and a much prettier art style aswell. The first couple of hours can be daunting to a newcomer, but once you get past the tutorial (or lack thereof), the game becomes one of the most addictive and enjoyable titles you will ever play. AndIgnore everybody saying it is basically a 2D Minecraft. The only real things it shares are crafting and mining. Terraria has WAY more depth than Minecraft, and a much prettier art style aswell. The first couple of hours can be daunting to a newcomer, but once you get past the tutorial (or lack thereof), the game becomes one of the most addictive and enjoyable titles you will ever play. And considering I got it for 2 POUNDS on Steam, it's worth more than the asking price! Expand
  78. Dec 26, 2011
    If you like Minecraft, you'll most likely love this game. It has the building and creativity aspect of Minecraft with much more adventure to it. The bosses and events are a lot of fun and your loot actually means something here in Terraria. I loved Minecraft but tossed it aside when I tried Terraria. Multiplayer in Terraria is much better than Minecraft too. On the Minecraft server myIf you like Minecraft, you'll most likely love this game. It has the building and creativity aspect of Minecraft with much more adventure to it. The bosses and events are a lot of fun and your loot actually means something here in Terraria. I loved Minecraft but tossed it aside when I tried Terraria. Multiplayer in Terraria is much better than Minecraft too. On the Minecraft server my friends and I had, we just went about building our things and checking out each other's creations but that was all there was to do. In Terraria we band up and go exploring because it really helps with more people, where as helping your buddy mine in minecraft is BORING. Big improvement imho! Expand
  79. Dec 28, 2011
    I have to disagree with WookieLove. I understand how you say that Terraria isn't the best sandbox game. IT ISN'T MEANT TO BE. It's more of a RPG or a platformer. And under that genre it's amazing. I would say more but... Honestly can't be bothered. Most of the other peoples' reviews some it up nicely.
  80. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is so much fun i dont know where 2 start i mean if u like combat we got it u like dress up we got that 2 anything u want once u put ur game into hardmode u probably want 2 get a freind but cmon its so much fun if u dont know how 2 start go 2 http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki 4 help and u can figure out what 2 do well THANK YOU 4 making this game ppl
  81. Jan 9, 2012
    Great game that is very well supported by the devs. At first can be confusing and appear to be very dull and lacking content. But under this veneer is an indie gem. Some will compare it to minecraft stating it is a 2d ripoff with less creativity. This is an ultimate mistake as the only thing in common is blocks, randomly generated worlds and the ability to mine. Terraria focuses on theGreat game that is very well supported by the devs. At first can be confusing and appear to be very dull and lacking content. But under this veneer is an indie gem. Some will compare it to minecraft stating it is a 2d ripoff with less creativity. This is an ultimate mistake as the only thing in common is blocks, randomly generated worlds and the ability to mine. Terraria focuses on the player conquering his world by forging weapons and armor of immense power to defeat the horrors of the players generated world. Expand
  82. May 14, 2012
    3 words Better than minecraft

3 words Better than minecraft

Don't get me wrong, Imagine Minecraft but with the terraria variety of things... more and better enemies... Different patterns. a kind hard mode when you defeat a kind of final boss With new things coming up all the times. NPCs who interact with you. and lots of crafting... I imagined this game as minecraft and I thought it would be better than it ... if it where 3d.

The game is good But when you reach the end game the fun ends. The problems are the hardmode bosses. If you dont play with like 4 friends... the bosses are almost impossible. The rest of the game is fine IT could have some enemies more and more variety of patterns but is not aggravating at all.. Good game
  83. May 8, 2013
    A really great 2D game. Spent playing this game on explore and kill the bosses with my friend. There so many thing in this simple game that you can't even imagine. You thing this is like MineCraft IT'S NOT.... try spent some hours on it and you wil found out it yourself. I recommend playing with friends and good luck.
  84. Kyr
    Oct 23, 2013
    Amazing Game,The only limit is your imagination and really fun! also,there's a lot of references in the game,and they are all cool! i REALLY recommend trying out,every penny worth's it!
  85. Mar 11, 2013
    Utterly fantastic game, I have clocked in over 100 hours and still not bored. Normally on Steam sales quite often, it should be hard to miss this. Unfortunately many compare this to Minecraft, which is a shame as this game stands on its own two feet, the pixel art is charming, enchanting soundtrack and uber fun gameplay, the multiplayer can be pretty mental too. I will be picking this upUtterly fantastic game, I have clocked in over 100 hours and still not bored. Normally on Steam sales quite often, it should be hard to miss this. Unfortunately many compare this to Minecraft, which is a shame as this game stands on its own two feet, the pixel art is charming, enchanting soundtrack and uber fun gameplay, the multiplayer can be pretty mental too. I will be picking this up again when launched on consoles. Expand
  86. May 4, 2013
    This game stole nothing from minecraft is everyone thinking that if a game has building stuff and zombies at night that is it just stealing from minecraft?Terraria has more than minecraft more weapons biomes bosses and more.Terraria is better than minecraft in many ways.
  87. Sep 1, 2013
    It's not bad, but the mining gets tedious and boring and finding anything useful is like rolling the dice. Once you start the game you're dumped into the game world with little to no idea as to what you're supposed to do and no instructions. Your 'guide' doesn't exactly provide much in the way of help either. If I hadn't seen a video on this game by Totalbiscuit I'd have had no idea what IIt's not bad, but the mining gets tedious and boring and finding anything useful is like rolling the dice. Once you start the game you're dumped into the game world with little to no idea as to what you're supposed to do and no instructions. Your 'guide' doesn't exactly provide much in the way of help either. If I hadn't seen a video on this game by Totalbiscuit I'd have had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. As I mentioned finding useful materials is a shot in the dark... literally. You dig around at random hoping to find something useful which gets tedious and boring. When night rolls around if you're not down in the depths your options are to try and fight off waves monsters or hide in your house (if you managed to build one) and hiding in your house till morning is boring, but trying to fight off waves of monsters in the dark is a nightmare. Expand
  88. Sep 30, 2013
    Fantastic game with great support, though lacking a story. There is a very good progression system that doesn't have to be linear. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I recommend playing the game with friends. To not do so is to tempt insanity due to isolation. Some game mechanics could use a optional tutorial for those too lazy to go to the wiki. I look forward to the update tomorrow. slimesFantastic game with great support, though lacking a story. There is a very good progression system that doesn't have to be linear. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I recommend playing the game with friends. To not do so is to tempt insanity due to isolation. Some game mechanics could use a optional tutorial for those too lazy to go to the wiki. I look forward to the update tomorrow. slimes with freaking umbrellas! Need more be said people? Then I will speak more unto the creative capabilities. Sadly limited to 2d, this allows for some interesting design concepts. I am more than happy with it though, as my steam screenshots will begin to attest. "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." H.P. Lovecraft. Expand
  89. Oct 4, 2015
    Terraria is a game where you explore and do random crap.
    BUT, there are NO tutorials, and when I started, I had no Idea wtf I was doing.

I like how it was like 95% Legend Of Zelda, and 5% Minecraft, totally original guys.

If you like:
    - Minecraft
    - Legend of Zelda
    - Any dumb Blocky Game

Then you'll like this game.

Minecraft: 7.5/10
    This Game: 7/10, was kinda Dissapointed
  90. Dec 1, 2013
    When I first saw the trailer for Terraria about two years ago, I thought it was just going to be another ripoff of Minecraft. When I bought it, I realized it was much more. Right now, there are so much things in the game you can't even imagine. You first start by customizing your character with thousands of different possibilities. You could have weeks of playtime and you would still haveWhen I first saw the trailer for Terraria about two years ago, I thought it was just going to be another ripoff of Minecraft. When I bought it, I realized it was much more. Right now, there are so much things in the game you can't even imagine. You first start by customizing your character with thousands of different possibilities. You could have weeks of playtime and you would still have much, much more things to explore. The game is focused around you crafting items to advance in the game, so you can battle harder enemies, build better things, and explore new areas that help you progress. You will always have a goal and spend hours trying to reach that goal. The graphics are Super Nintendo style and fit perfectly in a game like this. The music will get stuck in your head whenever you hear it, and you can't help but tap your foot to some tunes. It has many game references to other games and easter eggs that'll make you remember. It has a very affordable price ($10), and to top it off the game has multiplayer! You can work together for the greater good of all, you can build together, or you could just try slaughtering each other. With the dozens of tools and hundreds of blocks, Terraria makes the perfect sandbox game, and game for that matter. This game is my favorite game of all time, and will be forever, and others can say that too about it Expand
  91. Oct 17, 2014
    The game does not support a resolution that is higher than 1920 × 1200 which is quite disappointing because my screen resolution is 2560 × 1440 (QHD). It's impossible to zoom in while playing the game, this means you have to glue your face in order to feel comfortable aiming your tiny mouse to break every single little block that measures about one centimetre on my screen. The craftingThe game does not support a resolution that is higher than 1920 × 1200 which is quite disappointing because my screen resolution is 2560 × 1440 (QHD). It's impossible to zoom in while playing the game, this means you have to glue your face in order to feel comfortable aiming your tiny mouse to break every single little block that measures about one centimetre on my screen. The crafting system is also a disappointment, if I want to craft a certain item, I have to scroll through a long list of stuff (that isn't even organized) until I find what I need. The concept of this game is cool, but the UI is absolutely terrible. Which is why I unfortunately prefer the mobile version of Terraria over the desktop version, because in the mobile version almost every feature that I listed that isn't in desktop is there.

Game Version: 1.2.4.1
  92. Dec 15, 2013
    Terraria is an amazing game with a wide range of items, ores, enemies, allies and biomes this game never ceases to entertain. This is definitely a game that will be enjoyed more with friends as it can either create a competitive aspect to the game or a teamwork aspect but either one will generally improve the game. Also setting up a server for your friends to play on is relatively easy. ITerraria is an amazing game with a wide range of items, ores, enemies, allies and biomes this game never ceases to entertain. This is definitely a game that will be enjoyed more with friends as it can either create a competitive aspect to the game or a teamwork aspect but either one will generally improve the game. Also setting up a server for your friends to play on is relatively easy. I would definitely suggest this game to anyone who has a group of friends who are willing to try a new game Expand
  93. Apr 29, 2014
    If I could award game of the year 2011 to any game, it would be this one.

This game is incredible. It has an immense level of replay-ability, constant and MEANINGFUL updates, an amazing soundtrack, and some of the most rawly fun gameplay I've EVER experienced. The exploration is wonderful, the environment is mystifying, the bosses are inventive, the game is MODDABLE, and the sheer
    If I could award game of the year 2011 to any game, it would be this one.

The exploration is wonderful, the environment is mystifying, the bosses are inventive, the game is MODDABLE, and the sheer amount of bang-for-your-buck is unparalleled.

Word of caution: Unless you want to ruin this game for yourself, play through it from start to finish before you join any online servers with strangers. Trust me. A lot of the joy of this game is in discovering new things, and the multiplayer environment will remove all discovery for you in mere minutes.

That said, if you don't purchase this game, you are doing yourself a massive disservice. This game is a MUST PLAY for anyone ages 7 to 107. Just get it.

Oh, and the developer has already announced that he has begun work on a sequel! Frosting on the cake.
  94. Apr 29, 2014
    La verdad me parecio un gran juego mucho mas completo que minecraft.Muchos menos pixeles mas armaduras espadas muchas cosas que lo hacen que sea un gran juego, como gamer le doy un 10 uno de los mejores sandbox que probe
  95. May 11, 2014
    "Terraria" is a game that focuses on bosses and dungeon exploring more than mining and crafting, which I enjoy a lot. The game is really good, if not one of my most favourite games of all time for what it brings to the table. Many say is it a copy of "Minecraft"... Do not pay any attention to those people and pay attention to this game. It is a two dimensional boss fighting, dungeon"Terraria" is a game that focuses on bosses and dungeon exploring more than mining and crafting, which I enjoy a lot. The game is really good, if not one of my most favourite games of all time for what it brings to the table. Many say is it a copy of "Minecraft"... Do not pay any attention to those people and pay attention to this game. It is a two dimensional boss fighting, dungeon exploring, sandbox game that focuses on your character trying to rid of evil in your land (No story, you make your own) and you start off with low quality gear and a guide who helps you will crafting. Like "Minecraft" you have to build a house before the sun sets and when night comes, creatures come to eat you. There are zombies, slimes (which appear at day time as well) and flying eyes. The crafting is more simplified than "Minecraft" as it does not require some weird grid system to make tools, which I find better. The mining is a bit slow , which is disappointing, but when you get the good stuff, it will improve. The fighting is based on statistics on your weapons and are more explained than "Minecraft" in ENGLISH, not gibberish bullocks. The animations are a bit stupid but charming. You swing your tools like a three year old child explaining what a windmill does. The bosses are my favourite feature in this game. They are awesomely terrifying and need certain tactics to defeat them. There is different biomes and them have certain mobs in them. I shall say no more but to tell you to get this game. It is very cheap and you will get that money back and more! Expand
  96. Jan 6, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played this game 196 hours and it's the best game available in Steam. Terraria is like Minecraft in 2D. There are modeled the time of day, phases of the moon and solar eclipses in the game. There are random events like martian attack, goblin army and pirate invasion. During the night there will spawn dangerous monsters everywhere. When it is raining the zombies use raincoats. During Halloween and Christmas special things happen. You must mine the earth for metal ore, melt the ore to metal bars and then forge swords. Bosses will drop special weapons when defeated. When you have beaten the last boss you will continue playing in hardmode where the enemies are more difficult. Expand
  97. May 17, 2011
    This game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I cameThis game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I came to realize just how different the games really are. There is so much more to discover in this game, and so many more reasons to discover these things! Definitely go and buy it for the $10. It is worth it all. Expand
  98. May 23, 2011
    The ones that says that Terraria is like Minecraft should go play the game before writing a "review".

Terraria is one of those special gems that you find. It's not expensive, it's extremely addicting and one helluva experience. It has all the building and mining of minecraft but with the equipment, combat, looting, and gameplay of a sidescrolling action RPG. the whole game feels more polished than Minecraft, anyway, with more items, less bugs, and more fun. It's only $10, it'd be worth at least $50. You should buy it. Now.
  99. Jun 18, 2011
    one thing :the negative reviews are **** from people that only play CoD and Shooting games that think games are just as good as their graphics
    this game is no 2D minecraft rip-off, this game has bosses, awesome end-game and so on. it's able to have much more content than minecraft in less time just because it's in 2D.
    minecraft and terraria are totally different games if you play them
    minecraft and terraria are totally different games if you play them enough to know them well
    minecraft has a strong building side terraria has a strong adventure side

both games are great
    i would give this game a 11 in 10 but it's impossible
  100. Jul 2, 2011
    This game is simply amazing. It takes a few hours to figure everything out, but then it just gets better and better. If you think the idea of a 2D platformer / RPG / Minecraft mash-up sounds interesting, you should definitely play this game.

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.