8.5

1. Jul 21, 2011
    one of this games features is also one of its worst, when you see Terraria you think Minecraft and this is what bigs it up but also lets it down. I will start by saying I bought Terraria one week ago and when I first started I was like "what the hell do I do here" and before long I was devoured by zombies, I left it for about an hour until a friend noticed i had bought it and asked me howone of this games features is also one of its worst, when you see Terraria you think Minecraft and this is what bigs it up but also lets it down. I will start by saying I bought Terraria one week ago and when I first started I was like "what the hell do I do here" and before long I was devoured by zombies, I left it for about an hour until a friend noticed i had bought it and asked me how I liked it, after an in depth discussion and a link to the wiki I had another shot at it. With the help of the wiki and my friend I really got into the game, after four days playing we had beaten the eye of cthulhu, used the drops to make a better pick and the game spiralled upwards from there .
    Now, my first point was that when people play this and are expecting minecraft they get let down because this game isn't minecraft. When people play expecting a fun multiplayer sandbox based explorer they get given what they expect, a fun entertaining game.

In summary:-

Graphics - (9) - The graphics in Terraria are good for what they are trying to be, They aren't fancy but they accomplish what they set out to do.

Gameplay - (8) - Terraria is a bit of a slow burning start, with no real tutorial and most users having to look on the wiki. However when taught to use it even new players get the hang of it quickly and learn from there. The actual gameplay itself is the same, it starts slow but picks up speed as you progress and once you get near the end the gameplay is so fast when you see new players you remember how frustrated you got before you made the big push forward.

Concept - (9) - no matter how much you wish this was Minecraft it is not, and for good reason. Terraria developed its own identity a while ago and it may well be a channel for Minecraft veterans and vice versa but Terraria will keep growing and will surpass Minecraft until you hear whispers of "Hey, have you tried that game, what's it called.... oh yeah, Minecraft."
    "No, What is it." "It's like Terraria!"

General - (10) - With Terraria constantly expanding it will develop into a great game for all. It is consistently in the top ten games on steam and hits and stays at number one for a long time when a new update comes out. You are never short of a multiplayer game to join and its great fun with friends

Price - (10) - for £6/$10 there are few other games you could buy that give you this much enjoyment and if you got 3 friends together and bought the four pack then it would save you £1.50/$2.50 each. is that still too much, then trawl the steam forum and you can find people touting the remains of a four pack for considerably less, I grabbed a bargain and scored a copy for my brother for £1.25/$2

Want to play, Add me on steam. ID - Jimjam03
  2. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the greatest 2D platformers to come out in recent years, and the first 2D platformer to have a real open-world destructible/buildable environment, complete with dungeons and bosses. Numerous and varied weapons, armour and special items will keep you digging and fighting for hours and hours. -And i can all be played in multiplayer! It's like the beautiful freak child of metroidvaniaOne of the greatest 2D platformers to come out in recent years, and the first 2D platformer to have a real open-world destructible/buildable environment, complete with dungeons and bosses. Numerous and varied weapons, armour and special items will keep you digging and fighting for hours and hours. -And i can all be played in multiplayer! It's like the beautiful freak child of metroidvania and Minecraft. Expand
  3. May 17, 2011
  4. May 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've played this year. Combine features of old Legend of Zelda games with a 2D platformer and Minecraftesque building and mining and you get this. I was skeptical at first but that was completely gone after the first hour of playing. Whether you're building an awesome fortress, fighting one of the huge and difficult bosses, defending your fortress against an onslaughtOne of the best games I've played this year. Combine features of old Legend of Zelda games with a 2D platformer and Minecraftesque building and mining and you get this. I was skeptical at first but that was completely gone after the first hour of playing. Whether you're building an awesome fortress, fighting one of the huge and difficult bosses, defending your fortress against an onslaught or zombies or goblins, or adventuring and looking for loot, it's rarely a dull moment.

$10 is definitely worth the money. If you thought Minecraft was too expensive but still wanted to play a similar game, get this, you won't regret it.
  5. May 22, 2011
    This game is the best $10 of gaming gold you could ever spend.

BAM! You're dumped in the wilderness with a few trees around the place. What-chu gonna do? Don't sniff the roses too long, those mushrooms can wait to be picked, you better get to chopping some wood and making a goddamn house with your BARE HANDS. "But what about that awesome looking naturally formed cave over there?! I can
    This game is the best $10 of gaming gold you could ever spend.

"But what about that awesome looking naturally formed cave over there?! I can see some clay pots that are begging for me to smash them?" I hear you ask? NO. The sun is setting soon, you woke up at mid-day and the zombies and demonic flying eyeballs are just waiting for the sun to set to get a taste of your tender meaty arms and legs!

Now that you're safe and sound, crying in the fetal position in the corner of your small hut while zombies bash at your door, you can think about what you're going to make of yourself. Are you gonna mine the crap out of the surrounding land finding ores, trinkets and riches? Are you going to scour the surface for the corruption that plagues the land with pure evil? Maybe you want to find the forbidden demon god dungeon of doom death hell at one of the corners of the map? Maybe you should just think of how to build yourself a second floor in your house for a buddy... go slow son. This world aint forgiving.
  6. May 17, 2011
    This game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I cameThis game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I came to realize just how different the games really are. There is so much more to discover in this game, and so many more reasons to discover these things! Definitely go and buy it for the $10. It is worth it all. Expand
  7. May 19, 2011
    I believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now andI believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now and have some fun, Terraria is excellent. Expand
  8. May 19, 2011
    This game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool likeThis game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool like Minecraft, it's more about the adventure as you are rewarded more for exploring and combat and boss fights than anything else.

At first glance it may look like a 2D Minecraft but when you actually put time in to it and give it a chance you will see this game has an incredible amount of depth that Minecraft and most other games do not have.
  9. May 20, 2011
    this game is awesome. like mine craft meets Zelda type deal.i love how the mob re-spawn and bug while you try and build and explore makes the game a real fun challenge back when games were actually a challenge like NES days
  10. May 19, 2011
    Terraria takes the concept of Minecraft and makes it 2D. The art direction is reminiscent of some of the later offerings on the SNES, which in my book is a good thing. The game is about exploration and crafting, much like minecraft, though the crafting is done through an intuitive menu where it shows you what you can make, based on what materials you have. There is also a guideTerraria takes the concept of Minecraft and makes it 2D. The art direction is reminiscent of some of the later offerings on the SNES, which in my book is a good thing. The game is about exploration and crafting, much like minecraft, though the crafting is done through an intuitive menu where it shows you what you can make, based on what materials you have. There is also a guide character that will give you helpful tips, but in the end is more a nuisance as he has the tendency to open the door to your house and let monsters in. I think an option to turn him off would have been a good thing. Still, the game is quite fun overall. Expand
  11. May 19, 2011
    For £5.99 I've had more hours of enjoyment and more 'game' than any major full price game in a long time. If you're a fan of Metroidvania style games I'd definitely give this a shot. Randomly generated worlds are the way to go!
  12. May 17, 2011
    This is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, andThis is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, and the eventual mastery of your environment. My only complaint is the lack of an instruction manual, but the discovery actually adds more than it subtracts.

This game is fantastic and I recommend every single person on the planet buy it. It approaches perfection.
  13. May 20, 2011
    I think the comparisons to Minecraft are justified, but there is an easy way to describe the differences between the two (I think others here have said it as well). Minecraft is crafting/creating focused and Terraria is action/exploration focused. Both have crafting, creating, exploration, and action, but Terraria definitely emphasizes on its exploration and action. I own and enjoyI think the comparisons to Minecraft are justified, but there is an easy way to describe the differences between the two (I think others here have said it as well). Minecraft is crafting/creating focused and Terraria is action/exploration focused. Both have crafting, creating, exploration, and action, but Terraria definitely emphasizes on its exploration and action. I own and enjoy Minecraft, but the "fun factor" seems much high for Terraria. I love the design and crafting features as they are more streamlined than in Minecraft. I think that it is one of the best games I've ever played. I'll end by saying this:
    If you played Minecraft and thought it was a good idea, but didn't get sucked in like many others, give Terraria a try. For $10 bucks it is worth the price of admission for any Minecraft / adventure game fan.
  14. May 18, 2011
    I initially bought Terraria because I loved Minecraft, and was interested about how it would play out in 2D. At first I thought it was just going to be a cheap knockoff of Minecraft, and boy was I wrong. Terraria really feels like a nice throwback to the retro era with its pixel art and retro music, and really feels like a cross of Castlevania with Minecraft. Admittedly, construction isI initially bought Terraria because I loved Minecraft, and was interested about how it would play out in 2D. At first I thought it was just going to be a cheap knockoff of Minecraft, and boy was I wrong. Terraria really feels like a nice throwback to the retro era with its pixel art and retro music, and really feels like a cross of Castlevania with Minecraft. Admittedly, construction is a bit lacking compared to Minecraft, but the significantly deeper exploration, combat, and items really make up for it. Terraria really feels like less of a "creativity toy" like Minecraft and much more like an actual game. Best of all, it's only $10! Go and get it. Now. Expand
  15. May 17, 2011
    "Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, that sucked me in from the moment I started it up. With great pixel art, endearing music and lots of retro aspects, terraria will occupy me for years to come. This idea is still fresh and I'm glad somebody didn't shy away from it just because of MineCraft's recent success. "
  16. May 20, 2011
    I've been searching for a fun game that lasts a while and I found it. Crafting in this game keeps you occupied because finding the materials is both time consuming and challenging. Also, I find the graphics suitable for this type game where Minecraft was a bit too poor looking for me.
  17. May 21, 2011
    Terraria is not just another minecraft clone. It takes a few core aspects and turns it into a fantastic 2d side scrolling adventure. From boss fights, do dungeon exploration, anything is possible. The NPC's are quite useful, and with free content updates, this game will never become dull. The words "Minecraft clone" really hold no presence in this game. Anyone calling it a cloneTerraria is not just another minecraft clone. It takes a few core aspects and turns it into a fantastic 2d side scrolling adventure. From boss fights, do dungeon exploration, anything is possible. The NPC's are quite useful, and with free content updates, this game will never become dull. The words "Minecraft clone" really hold no presence in this game. Anyone calling it a clone should honestly be told that Minecraft is just an Infiniminer clone. With Minecrafts success, it is no wonder more games with aspects of it would come out. I for one am glad that this game has gotten a large amount of sales, I love the genre and am happy Minecraft isn't the only game to take suit in the genre.

after 50+ hours, i can easily give this a 10 / 10
  18. Jul 2, 2011
    Comparing Minecraft to Terraria is like Halo to Half Life whilst they both share similarities it is only skin deep. If you go to play this game thinking it will be creative fiesta like Miencraft you will be dissapointed and if you go in thinking it will be a lousy 2D version of it you will be pleasantly suprised. The fun in Terraria is not in creating like Minecraft but in the explorationComparing Minecraft to Terraria is like Halo to Half Life whilst they both share similarities it is only skin deep. If you go to play this game thinking it will be creative fiesta like Miencraft you will be dissapointed and if you go in thinking it will be a lousy 2D version of it you will be pleasantly suprised. The fun in Terraria is not in creating like Minecraft but in the exploration and gameplay. Expand
  19. Mar 30, 2013
    Terraria is a really fun game and should not be determined by the graphics. You can do anything from building a castle to making a hellevator. There is no end to this spectacular game
  20. Aug 7, 2012
    Unfortunately some of the below reviewers lack the attention span to play the game for more than a few minutes. If they did, I believe they would truly find the game interesting. Once all of the hard work is over, it pays off with a very fun experience that may not be completely original, but earns its respective awards.

I used to be that much of a Minecraft fanboy before, too. When I

I used to be that much of a Minecraft fanboy before, too. When I finally bought it...it paid off. Although it's 2D, it pulls it off with tremendous extravagance. The gameplay, after a few moments of slowness in the beginning, turns into a rapidly proceeding thrill. The inventive enemies, bosses, weapons and potions help keep the game competitive, while still allowing you to just build to your heart's content. The vast selection of items, materials, accessories and more present you with a nearly unlimited amount of fun to explore and expand with your own original creations and ideas. The physics of the game are quite advanced, and if used right, can be played to an advantage in the game.

All-in-all, for an Indie game, it's an amazing production. It's a shame that it had to end so abruptly, but Redigit had his own family matters to deal with. Nevertheless, community content and the arbitrary generation is enough to keep me satisfied for a long time! 10/10!
  21. May 8, 2013
    A really great 2D game. Spent playing this game on explore and kill the bosses with my friend. There so many thing in this simple game that you can't even imagine. You thing this is like MineCraft IT'S NOT.... try spent some hours on it and you wil found out it yourself. I recommend playing with friends and good luck.
  22. Aug 6, 2011
    Interesting game with a sand box style that has a much heavier idea of combat than minecraft had. I prefer this 2d setting to any other virtual sandbox's so far personally.
  23. Aug 19, 2011
    WOW! For $10 I got 40 hours of non-stop fun from this game, it was very well thought out and this would have to be one of my favourite games of all time!
    I recommend this most definitely to anyone!
  24. Aug 24, 2011
    A great game, especially for the price. Some may say its a ripoff of Minecraft, but I would have to disagree, I own both games and have spent hundreds of hours in both. Think of it as a 2D version of minecraft that had much less emphasis on building things, and much more emphasis on adventure and combat. if you liked Minecraft, you will very likely love Terraria as well. The only real badA great game, especially for the price. Some may say its a ripoff of Minecraft, but I would have to disagree, I own both games and have spent hundreds of hours in both. Think of it as a 2D version of minecraft that had much less emphasis on building things, and much more emphasis on adventure and combat. if you liked Minecraft, you will very likely love Terraria as well. The only real bad thing is when you have collected pretty much everything... because at that point, it doesnt really feel like you have all too much left to do in the game. Expand
  25. Oct 26, 2011
    very fun game that feels like an epic adventure in 2d. you gather resources to build your home and equipment in order to fight stronger and stronger enemies. there is a sense of discovery as you dig through the world looking for special items and precious metals. there are so many things to do and you have total freedom like minecraft. it has a periodic updates and there is lots of customvery fun game that feels like an epic adventure in 2d. you gather resources to build your home and equipment in order to fight stronger and stronger enemies. there is a sense of discovery as you dig through the world looking for special items and precious metals. there are so many things to do and you have total freedom like minecraft. it has a periodic updates and there is lots of custom content put out by the community, so it never gets boring. Expand
  26. Oct 30, 2013
    Terraria is a great 2D version of Minecraft with heaps to do and it should keep you busy for quite some time. There are many secrets to discover and locations to visit and it is really up to you how you want to play. The only negatives are that the actual inventory screen is a little bit cumbersome, and there is not a large amount of early game assistance, meaning that newcomers mayTerraria is a great 2D version of Minecraft with heaps to do and it should keep you busy for quite some time. There are many secrets to discover and locations to visit and it is really up to you how you want to play. The only negatives are that the actual inventory screen is a little bit cumbersome, and there is not a large amount of early game assistance, meaning that newcomers may initially be overwhelmed by the large scope of what the game has to offer. Once you're drawn in though, expect to lose many hours. Expand
  27. Oct 6, 2014
    Terraria is totally a great game. I love the background music, and the game play is really smooth, and fighting those enemies is just exciting. I have already bought it on Steam, App Store, and Windows Phone Store.
  28. Jul 13, 2011
    one of the funnest games i've ever played. i never thought a 2D minecraft would be fun or even possible but they did it. also the price is fantastic, definitely worth $10
  29. Jul 26, 2011
    Huge game. Good controls. UI is a little wonky, but you can get used to it. Not a fan of not leveling up, seems like the perfect opportunity. I don't get any satisfaction from killing baddies without getting XP, but that's just me.
  30. Dec 15, 2011
    This is more than what most people call it - a minecraft ripoff in 2D. True enough, it's 2D and it has building mechanisms similar to minecraft, but there're more. It has a social interface similar to Animal Crossing: Wild World, where, after building your own town and clearing achievements, NPCs will start moving into your houses, provided that the conditions are met (of course, theThis is more than what most people call it - a minecraft ripoff in 2D. True enough, it's 2D and it has building mechanisms similar to minecraft, but there're more. It has a social interface similar to Animal Crossing: Wild World, where, after building your own town and clearing achievements, NPCs will start moving into your houses, provided that the conditions are met (of course, the social interface isn't as full developed as Animal Crossing). It also as a mining interface similar to motherlord, the acclaimed flash game in miniclip. You get to dig deep down into the earth for rare minerals and ores, and you can craft your items with those materials. It also has a 2D fighting interface similar to maple story, where you battle monsters and creeps in this side-scrolling game. As such, it's really is not simply a minecraft rip off in 2D, but a hybrid of many other titles that are acclaimed in their own genre of game. Get it, especially if it's on discount and you have the cash to spare. Expand

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.