8.4

1. May 17, 2011
  2. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the greatest 2D platformers to come out in recent years, and the first 2D platformer to have a real open-world destructible/buildable environment, complete with dungeons and bosses. Numerous and varied weapons, armour and special items will keep you digging and fighting for hours and hours. -And i can all be played in multiplayer! It's like the beautiful freak child of metroidvania and Minecraft. Expand
  3. May 17, 2011
    This game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I came to realize just how different the games really are. There is so much more to discover in this game, and so many more reasons to discover these things! Definitely go and buy it for the $10. It is worth it all. Expand
  4. May 19, 2011
    I believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now and have some fun, Terraria is excellent. Expand
  5. May 17, 2011
    This is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, and the eventual mastery of your environment. My only complaint is the lack of an instruction manual, but the discovery actually adds more than it subtracts.

This game is fantastic and I recommend every single person on the planet buy it. It approaches perfection.
  6. May 19, 2011
    For £5.99 I've had more hours of enjoyment and more 'game' than any major full price game in a long time. If you're a fan of Metroidvania style games I'd definitely give this a shot. Randomly generated worlds are the way to go!
  7. May 20, 2011
    I think the comparisons to Minecraft are justified, but there is an easy way to describe the differences between the two (I think others here have said it as well). Minecraft is crafting/creating focused and Terraria is action/exploration focused. Both have crafting, creating, exploration, and action, but Terraria definitely emphasizes on its exploration and action. I own and enjoy Minecraft, but the "fun factor" seems much high for Terraria. I love the design and crafting features as they are more streamlined than in Minecraft. I think that it is one of the best games I've ever played. I'll end by saying this:
    If you played Minecraft and thought it was a good idea, but didn't get sucked in like many others, give Terraria a try. For $10 bucks it is worth the price of admission for any Minecraft / adventure game fan.
  8. May 18, 2011
    I initially bought Terraria because I loved Minecraft, and was interested about how it would play out in 2D. At first I thought it was just going to be a cheap knockoff of Minecraft, and boy was I wrong. Terraria really feels like a nice throwback to the retro era with its pixel art and retro music, and really feels like a cross of Castlevania with Minecraft. Admittedly, construction is a bit lacking compared to Minecraft, but the significantly deeper exploration, combat, and items really make up for it. Terraria really feels like less of a "creativity toy" like Minecraft and much more like an actual game. Best of all, it's only $10! Go and get it. Now. Expand
  9. May 19, 2011
    Terraria takes the concept of Minecraft and makes it 2D. The art direction is reminiscent of some of the later offerings on the SNES, which in my book is a good thing. The game is about exploration and crafting, much like minecraft, though the crafting is done through an intuitive menu where it shows you what you can make, based on what materials you have. There is also a guide character that will give you helpful tips, but in the end is more a nuisance as he has the tendency to open the door to your house and let monsters in. I think an option to turn him off would have been a good thing. Still, the game is quite fun overall. Expand
  10. May 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've played this year. Combine features of old Legend of Zelda games with a 2D platformer and Minecraftesque building and mining and you get this. I was skeptical at first but that was completely gone after the first hour of playing. Whether you're building an awesome fortress, fighting one of the huge and difficult bosses, defending your fortress against an onslaught or zombies or goblins, or adventuring and looking for loot, it's rarely a dull moment.

$10 is definitely worth the money. If you thought Minecraft was too expensive but still wanted to play a similar game, get this, you won't regret it.
  11. May 17, 2011
    "Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, that sucked me in from the moment I started it up. With great pixel art, endearing music and lots of retro aspects, terraria will occupy me for years to come. This idea is still fresh and I'm glad somebody didn't shy away from it just because of MineCraft's recent success. "
  12. May 19, 2011
    This game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool like Minecraft, it's more about the adventure as you are rewarded more for exploring and combat and boss fights than anything else.

At first glance it may look like a 2D Minecraft but when you actually put time in to it and give it a chance you will see this game has an incredible amount of depth that Minecraft and most other games do not have.
  13. May 20, 2011
    this game is awesome. like mine craft meets Zelda type deal.i love how the mob re-spawn and bug while you try and build and explore makes the game a real fun challenge back when games were actually a challenge like NES days
  14. May 20, 2011
    I've been searching for a fun game that lasts a while and I found it. Crafting in this game keeps you occupied because finding the materials is both time consuming and challenging. Also, I find the graphics suitable for this type game where Minecraft was a bit too poor looking for me.
  15. May 21, 2011
    Terraria is not just another minecraft clone. It takes a few core aspects and turns it into a fantastic 2d side scrolling adventure. From boss fights, do dungeon exploration, anything is possible. The NPC's are quite useful, and with free content updates, this game will never become dull. The words "Minecraft clone" really hold no presence in this game. Anyone calling it a clone should honestly be told that Minecraft is just an Infiniminer clone. With Minecrafts success, it is no wonder more games with aspects of it would come out. I for one am glad that this game has gotten a large amount of sales, I love the genre and am happy Minecraft isn't the only game to take suit in the genre.

after 50+ hours, i can easily give this a 10 / 10
  16. Jul 21, 2011
    one of this games features is also one of its worst, when you see Terraria you think Minecraft and this is what bigs it up but also lets it down. I will start by saying I bought Terraria one week ago and when I first started I was like "what the hell do I do here" and before long I was devoured by zombies, I left it for about an hour until a friend noticed i had bought it and asked me how I liked it, after an in depth discussion and a link to the wiki I had another shot at it. With the help of the wiki and my friend I really got into the game, after four days playing we had beaten the eye of cthulhu, used the drops to make a better pick and the game spiralled upwards from there .
    Now, my first point was that when people play this and are expecting minecraft they get let down because this game isn't minecraft. When people play expecting a fun multiplayer sandbox based explorer they get given what they expect, a fun entertaining game.

In summary:-

Graphics - (9) - The graphics in Terraria are good for what they are trying to be, They aren't fancy but they accomplish what they set out to do.

Gameplay - (8) - Terraria is a bit of a slow burning start, with no real tutorial and most users having to look on the wiki. However when taught to use it even new players get the hang of it quickly and learn from there. The actual gameplay itself is the same, it starts slow but picks up speed as you progress and once you get near the end the gameplay is so fast when you see new players you remember how frustrated you got before you made the big push forward.

Concept - (9) - no matter how much you wish this was Minecraft it is not, and for good reason. Terraria developed its own identity a while ago and it may well be a channel for Minecraft veterans and vice versa but Terraria will keep growing and will surpass Minecraft until you hear whispers of "Hey, have you tried that game, what's it called.... oh yeah, Minecraft."
    "No, What is it." "It's like Terraria!"

General - (10) - With Terraria constantly expanding it will develop into a great game for all. It is consistently in the top ten games on steam and hits and stays at number one for a long time when a new update comes out. You are never short of a multiplayer game to join and its great fun with friends

Price - (10) - for £6/$10 there are few other games you could buy that give you this much enjoyment and if you got 3 friends together and bought the four pack then it would save you £1.50/$2.50 each. is that still too much, then trawl the steam forum and you can find people touting the remains of a four pack for considerably less, I grabbed a bargain and scored a copy for my brother for £1.25/$2

Want to play, Add me on steam. ID - Jimjam03
  17. May 22, 2011
    This game is the best $10 of gaming gold you could ever spend.

BAM! You're dumped in the wilderness with a few trees around the place. What-chu gonna do? Don't sniff the roses too long, those mushrooms can wait to be picked, you better get to chopping some wood and making a goddamn house with your BARE HANDS.

"But what about that awesome looking naturally formed cave over there?! I can
    see some clay pots that are begging for me to smash them?" I hear you ask? NO. The sun is setting soon, you woke up at mid-day and the zombies and demonic flying eyeballs are just waiting for the sun to set to get a taste of your tender meaty arms and legs!

Now that you're safe and sound, crying in the fetal position in the corner of your small hut while zombies bash at your door, you can think about what you're going to make of yourself. Are you gonna mine the crap out of the surrounding land finding ores, trinkets and riches? Are you going to scour the surface for the corruption that plagues the land with pure evil? Maybe you want to find the forbidden demon god dungeon of doom death hell at one of the corners of the map? Maybe you should just think of how to build yourself a second floor in your house for a buddy... go slow son. This world aint forgiving.
  18. May 22, 2011
    This game is amazing. If you like Zelda, Castlevania, or Metroid you will love Terraria. Terraria is not like Minecraft. Terraria rewards you for exploring the world. It's more about the adventure and combat and boss fights than anything else. It is absolutely worth the ten euros.
  19. May 22, 2011
    Great game! A bit hard in the beginning. Looking forward to more content and updates. I hope the developers will build in a in-game server browser for multiplayer. Hopefully there will be a better newbie tutorial too. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet so i cant really say anything about it but I'm guessing that the game will work excellent in that mode.
  20. Jun 20, 2011
    This game took me by surprise. I expected it to be a cheap, 2D minecraft clone, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it's so much more. This game is actually what I wished minecraft would have been. The exploration, treasures, and boss fights are all top notch, pun not intended, and lead to hours of fun.
  21. May 21, 2011
    It's not Minecraft, even though it very obviously borrows a lot of elements from it. It's got much more character development and feels a lot more fleshed out - more decoration, more different areas and enemies, special events and NPCs... It's very addictive, though it doesn't have the huge replay value of Minecraft. Regardless, it is absolutely worth the ten euros.
  22. May 22, 2011
    Even though "minecraft fanboyism" is somewhat understandable, most of the negative reviewers forget to mention that minecraft is nothing but a literal copy of infiminer. A small detail hypocrites like to ignore just so they can add more credit to their biased opinion, drowning it in demagogy.

The unbiased fact is that terraria is a great game. Sales and play statistics completely approve
    of it and even minecraft players (altho only the non fanboy ones) like to play it.
    As i write this, its the 5th most played game on steam, beating titles like team fortress 2, black ops, portal 2 and left4dead 2. If you like side scrolling-, sandbox-, adventure- games, you should check it out for sure.
  23. May 22, 2011
    I've been playing Terraria for almost a week now with a little over 20 hours invested and I can safely say this game has already and easily made my top 10 games of all time. With free content updates promised for the future, I suspect it will make it into my top 5 and eventually top 3. This is the type of game that I will gladly purchase copies for my friends, it deserves it. Games recently have a tendency to hold your hand throughout the entire game, taking away from the excitement and reward of figuring things out on your own. Terraria is not one of those games. Big studios should take note, it's not fancy graphics and gimmicks that make a game great, it's great game-play and Terraria is overflowing with it. GOTY for me. Expand
  24. May 26, 2011
    Great little game. I love the old school feel of the game. Control is responsive and the gear choices allow you to play more as a 2d shooter or 2d hack-n-slash. I've really enjoyed the exploration. If you like to dig tunnels and wonder what is just out of sight you will enjoy the exploration aspect of this game. Building up a house has been interesting and I like how expanding the house brings in different NPCs. There are number of random and triggered events to mix up the normal pacing. The game also supports multi-player which is golden for the co-op crowd.

Two features really increase re-playability of the game for me. The first feature is the random world generation. Each world is different. You can generate a new world whenever you feel like it. The second feature is that the character is persistent outside of the world. If you advance gear in one world you can take it any other world.

I have almost 40 hours into the game and still have much to explore, build, craft, and battle. For me the game was a complete steal at $10. Best of luck to the developers.
  25. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simpel game but increibly addictive.
    I was on the fence with this one the game looked really bad judging of the screenshots but when you start tto play you won't stop.

people who say this is minecraft 2d are just being harsh there are lots of games that borrowed little idears from on another..........well all fps are wolfenstein rip offs period
  26. May 22, 2011
    If your fine with 2d and the graphics then this game is awesome. Has a lot of content! No major bugs. Awesome game! Has some similarities with Minecraft, but nothing what you could call "ripped off". It's just inspired by Minecraft. At least it seams so.
  27. May 22, 2011
    awesome game, must buy, and its only $10 on steam
  28. May 23, 2011
    The ones that says that Terraria is like Minecraft should go play the game before writing a "review".

Terraria is one of those special gems that you find. It's not expensive, it's extremely addicting and one helluva experience. It has all the building and mining of minecraft but with the equipment, combat, looting, and gameplay of a sidescrolling action RPG. the whole game feels more
    polished than Minecraft, anyway, with more items, less bugs, and more fun. It's only $10, it'd be worth at least $50. You should buy it. Now. Expand
  29. May 22, 2011
    This little time-waster uses ideas from every game you ever loved and creates a truly addicting gameplay-experience. The graphics are simple and compare to what you might have seen on the SNES and I am loving it. Terraria may be the best 2D-game of this year.
  30. May 22, 2011
    Amazing game. Anybody thinking it is a simple Minecraft clone in an attempt for cash is mentally challenged. If you cannot see the vast playability of this game then you have no care for learning a bit about the game. With a much deeper exploration and rpg style Terraria is a unique experience. Taking actual gameplay and making it exciting, challenging. There is general sense of difficulty that is strengthened by a lighter death penalty. For 20 dollars this game is amazing, for 10 even more. If you are still wondering whether it is a cheap 2D Minecraft knockoff, get real. These developers know what they are doing and have executed it magnificently. Pick this game up, now! Expand

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.