8.5

1. May 17, 2011
  2. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the greatest 2D platformers to come out in recent years, and the first 2D platformer to have a real open-world destructible/buildable environment, complete with dungeons and bosses. Numerous and varied weapons, armour and special items will keep you digging and fighting for hours and hours. -And i can all be played in multiplayer! It's like the beautiful freak child of metroidvania and Minecraft. Expand
  3. May 17, 2011
    This game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I came to realize just how different the games really are. There is so much more to discover in this game, and so many more reasons to discover these things! Definitely go and buy it for the $10. It is worth it all. Expand
  4. May 19, 2011
    I believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now and have some fun, Terraria is excellent. Expand
  5. May 19, 2011
    For £5.99 I've had more hours of enjoyment and more 'game' than any major full price game in a long time. If you're a fan of Metroidvania style games I'd definitely give this a shot. Randomly generated worlds are the way to go!
  6. May 17, 2011
    This is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, and the eventual mastery of your environment. My only complaint is the lack of an instruction manual, but the discovery actually adds more than it subtracts.

This game is fantastic and I recommend every single person on the planet buy it. It approaches perfection.
  7. May 20, 2011
    I think the comparisons to Minecraft are justified, but there is an easy way to describe the differences between the two (I think others here have said it as well). Minecraft is crafting/creating focused and Terraria is action/exploration focused. Both have crafting, creating, exploration, and action, but Terraria definitely emphasizes on its exploration and action. I own and enjoy Minecraft, but the "fun factor" seems much high for Terraria. I love the design and crafting features as they are more streamlined than in Minecraft. I think that it is one of the best games I've ever played. I'll end by saying this:
    If you played Minecraft and thought it was a good idea, but didn't get sucked in like many others, give Terraria a try. For $10 bucks it is worth the price of admission for any Minecraft / adventure game fan.
  8. May 18, 2011
    I initially bought Terraria because I loved Minecraft, and was interested about how it would play out in 2D. At first I thought it was just going to be a cheap knockoff of Minecraft, and boy was I wrong. Terraria really feels like a nice throwback to the retro era with its pixel art and retro music, and really feels like a cross of Castlevania with Minecraft. Admittedly, construction is a bit lacking compared to Minecraft, but the significantly deeper exploration, combat, and items really make up for it. Terraria really feels like less of a "creativity toy" like Minecraft and much more like an actual game. Best of all, it's only $10! Go and get it. Now. Expand
  9. May 19, 2011
    Terraria takes the concept of Minecraft and makes it 2D. The art direction is reminiscent of some of the later offerings on the SNES, which in my book is a good thing. The game is about exploration and crafting, much like minecraft, though the crafting is done through an intuitive menu where it shows you what you can make, based on what materials you have. There is also a guide character that will give you helpful tips, but in the end is more a nuisance as he has the tendency to open the door to your house and let monsters in. I think an option to turn him off would have been a good thing. Still, the game is quite fun overall. Expand
  10. May 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've played this year. Combine features of old Legend of Zelda games with a 2D platformer and Minecraftesque building and mining and you get this. I was skeptical at first but that was completely gone after the first hour of playing. Whether you're building an awesome fortress, fighting one of the huge and difficult bosses, defending your fortress against an onslaught or zombies or goblins, or adventuring and looking for loot, it's rarely a dull moment.

$10 is definitely worth the money. If you thought Minecraft was too expensive but still wanted to play a similar game, get this, you won't regret it.
  11. Jul 12, 2011
    If you liked/played Minecraft and want to buy this game because you think this is similar, then this is the review for you.

My very first thought was: this gotta be a Minecraft clone in 2D. I like minecraft, so why shouldnt i give this one a chance? Plus, i like Platformers, so how could i get wrong?

To be honest, my first impression was a really bad one. After creating a detailed
    character for your adventure and choosing the world's size, you're dropped in a landscape with nothing but a guy next to you called "guide". The Guide gives you a few random tips, but only the first 4 or 5 are really usefull. Since the game does not provide any other form or tutorial, your first instinct is to read through all the tips. After around half of them you'll be totally confused and they'll stop making sense to someone who just played the game. The basic mechanisms of the game, such as crafting (which is REALLY essential) are not explained in detail. I had to watch tutorials on youtube in order to understand how to get started. Since there is a huge community for this game, it was not hard to find a good tutorial in no time. Still i dont think this is how it should be.

Like in Minecraft, you can harvest ressources such as wood, stone, iron ores and so on using the right tools. The resources can be placed in order to build structures, traps and so on, or they can be crafted, for example into better tools, pieces of armor or even weapons. Unlike minecraft, this game has a remarkable focus on defeating enemies, exploring dangerous caves and areas, dungeons and even finding magic pieces of equipment that increase your character's skills. Even spells, guns and many types of weapons can be found in chests, crafted or looted from killed enemies. You can improve your maximum health and acquire mana-energy which is used to cast spells (which can be rarely found). Several random events can take place in the world, most of them will confront you with threats in form of enemies. Even strong Bosses may occur which turn out to be a real challange without being too hard to beat, provided you have the right gear.

If you want to dig your way to the lowest levels of the game: have fun, it might take a while. The world is limited into all 4 directions (up, down, left, right) but there is more than enough space in all directions, and all of the directions (even up) has something interesting to explore. You can move around the world and find different Biomes which also have different undergrounds. Those vary in difficulty significantly, but since you always start in the "easiest biome" with the "easiest underground", thats fine.

If you think you're done with one world, you can just create another one and play it with your old char. You, of course, keep your items and upgrades. The same works vice versa: If you cant get enough of your current world, you can create a new character and play the world again. Structures built and wholes dug of course remain in the game.

As the Game goes on, you can even have NPCs move into your house (provided certain criteria are met or certain tasks have been fulfilled). The NPCs are mainly shops that sell potions, basic equipments, weapons and vanity items.

Now to the "But"s. There are quite a few of them. At first, the game seems to have a lot of content and it is a hell lot of fun to explore it. But you quickly realise: as soon as you have mid-game-gear (acquireable in only a few hours if you know where to find it), you already run out of challanges. While your first boss fight might have taken you quite some time and nerves, you'll quickly find yourself spamming that boss only a few hours later. The underground levels become boring really fast since they offer even less of a challange. As soon as you have reached high end gear (which as well can be acquired in no time if you know how), nothing can stop you.

While at first trying to acquire every little ore you find, later you'll even leave valuable ores behind because harvesting them is still unrewarding as soon as you got your gear.

I'll draw a quick bottom line since i'm running out of characters. This game IS fun, i'll give it that. But this is not the kind of game you can play every day. This is not minecraft. It has nothing to do with it except that you can dig and craft. It is more like an RPG. And as soon as you got your gear, you'll bore yourself to hell. Starting a new character wont help because as soon as you know how to get better gear or where to find it, you'll have maxed your second char in one or two evenings, facing the same problem again you had yesterday: you got nothing left to do.

This game needs more challanges on the long run. But for the first time playing, it will be fun, i promise it. And though this is not a long-term-burner, spending those 10 bucks on it aint the worst decision to make.
  12. May 17, 2011
    "Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, that sucked me in from the moment I started it up. With great pixel art, endearing music and lots of retro aspects, terraria will occupy me for years to come. This idea is still fresh and I'm glad somebody didn't shy away from it just because of MineCraft's recent success. "
  13. May 19, 2011
    This game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool like Minecraft, it's more about the adventure as you are rewarded more for exploring and combat and boss fights than anything else.

At first glance it may look like a 2D Minecraft but when you actually put time in to it and give it a chance you will see this game has an incredible amount of depth that Minecraft and most other games do not have.
  14. May 20, 2011
    this game is awesome. like mine craft meets Zelda type deal.i love how the mob re-spawn and bug while you try and build and explore makes the game a real fun challenge back when games were actually a challenge like NES days
  15. May 20, 2011
    I've been searching for a fun game that lasts a while and I found it. Crafting in this game keeps you occupied because finding the materials is both time consuming and challenging. Also, I find the graphics suitable for this type game where Minecraft was a bit too poor looking for me.
  16. May 21, 2011
    Terraria is not just another minecraft clone. It takes a few core aspects and turns it into a fantastic 2d side scrolling adventure. From boss fights, do dungeon exploration, anything is possible. The NPC's are quite useful, and with free content updates, this game will never become dull. The words "Minecraft clone" really hold no presence in this game. Anyone calling it a clone should honestly be told that Minecraft is just an Infiniminer clone. With Minecrafts success, it is no wonder more games with aspects of it would come out. I for one am glad that this game has gotten a large amount of sales, I love the genre and am happy Minecraft isn't the only game to take suit in the genre.

after 50+ hours, i can easily give this a 10 / 10
  17. Jul 21, 2011
    one of this games features is also one of its worst, when you see Terraria you think Minecraft and this is what bigs it up but also lets it down. I will start by saying I bought Terraria one week ago and when I first started I was like "what the hell do I do here" and before long I was devoured by zombies, I left it for about an hour until a friend noticed i had bought it and asked me how I liked it, after an in depth discussion and a link to the wiki I had another shot at it. With the help of the wiki and my friend I really got into the game, after four days playing we had beaten the eye of cthulhu, used the drops to make a better pick and the game spiralled upwards from there .
    Now, my first point was that when people play this and are expecting minecraft they get let down because this game isn't minecraft. When people play expecting a fun multiplayer sandbox based explorer they get given what they expect, a fun entertaining game.

In summary:-

Graphics - (9) - The graphics in Terraria are good for what they are trying to be, They aren't fancy but they accomplish what they set out to do.

Gameplay - (8) - Terraria is a bit of a slow burning start, with no real tutorial and most users having to look on the wiki. However when taught to use it even new players get the hang of it quickly and learn from there. The actual gameplay itself is the same, it starts slow but picks up speed as you progress and once you get near the end the gameplay is so fast when you see new players you remember how frustrated you got before you made the big push forward.

Concept - (9) - no matter how much you wish this was Minecraft it is not, and for good reason. Terraria developed its own identity a while ago and it may well be a channel for Minecraft veterans and vice versa but Terraria will keep growing and will surpass Minecraft until you hear whispers of "Hey, have you tried that game, what's it called.... oh yeah, Minecraft."
    "No, What is it." "It's like Terraria!"

General - (10) - With Terraria constantly expanding it will develop into a great game for all. It is consistently in the top ten games on steam and hits and stays at number one for a long time when a new update comes out. You are never short of a multiplayer game to join and its great fun with friends

Price - (10) - for £6/$10 there are few other games you could buy that give you this much enjoyment and if you got 3 friends together and bought the four pack then it would save you £1.50/$2.50 each. is that still too much, then trawl the steam forum and you can find people touting the remains of a four pack for considerably less, I grabbed a bargain and scored a copy for my brother for £1.25/$2

Want to play, Add me on steam. ID - Jimjam03
  18. May 21, 2011
    Had me sitting there wondering what I should do? Digging at a "1 minute per swing" pace? I really hate slow games. I play games to play, not stare at the screen waiting for it to do what I want it to do. Instructions should be upfront not inbuilt to a guide guy who I have to find and sometime he is deep underground stuck can't get out while I have to work out what the game wants me to do.
  19. May 22, 2011
    This game is the best $10 of gaming gold you could ever spend.

BAM! You're dumped in the wilderness with a few trees around the place. What-chu gonna do? Don't sniff the roses too long, those mushrooms can wait to be picked, you better get to chopping some wood and making a goddamn house with your BARE HANDS.

"But what about that awesome looking naturally formed cave over there?! I can
    see some clay pots that are begging for me to smash them?" I hear you ask? NO. The sun is setting soon, you woke up at mid-day and the zombies and demonic flying eyeballs are just waiting for the sun to set to get a taste of your tender meaty arms and legs!

Now that you're safe and sound, crying in the fetal position in the corner of your small hut while zombies bash at your door, you can think about what you're going to make of yourself. Are you gonna mine the crap out of the surrounding land finding ores, trinkets and riches? Are you going to scour the surface for the corruption that plagues the land with pure evil? Maybe you want to find the forbidden demon god dungeon of doom death hell at one of the corners of the map? Maybe you should just think of how to build yourself a second floor in your house for a buddy... go slow son. This world aint forgiving.
  20. Jun 20, 2011
    This game took me by surprise. I expected it to be a cheap, 2D minecraft clone, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it's so much more. This game is actually what I wished minecraft would have been. The exploration, treasures, and boss fights are all top notch, pun not intended, and lead to hours of fun.
  21. May 22, 2011
    This game is amazing. If you like Zelda, Castlevania, or Metroid you will love Terraria. Terraria is not like Minecraft. Terraria rewards you for exploring the world. It's more about the adventure and combat and boss fights than anything else. It is absolutely worth the ten euros.
  22. May 22, 2011
    Great game! A bit hard in the beginning. Looking forward to more content and updates. I hope the developers will build in a in-game server browser for multiplayer. Hopefully there will be a better newbie tutorial too. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet so i cant really say anything about it but I'm guessing that the game will work excellent in that mode.
  23. May 21, 2011
    It's not Minecraft, even though it very obviously borrows a lot of elements from it. It's got much more character development and feels a lot more fleshed out - more decoration, more different areas and enemies, special events and NPCs... It's very addictive, though it doesn't have the huge replay value of Minecraft. Regardless, it is absolutely worth the ten euros.
  24. May 22, 2011
    Even though "minecraft fanboyism" is somewhat understandable, most of the negative reviewers forget to mention that minecraft is nothing but a literal copy of infiminer. A small detail hypocrites like to ignore just so they can add more credit to their biased opinion, drowning it in demagogy.

The unbiased fact is that terraria is a great game. Sales and play statistics completely approve
    of it and even minecraft players (altho only the non fanboy ones) like to play it.
    As i write this, its the 5th most played game on steam, beating titles like team fortress 2, black ops, portal 2 and left4dead 2. If you like side scrolling-, sandbox-, adventure- games, you should check it out for sure.
  25. May 22, 2011
    Terraria was an entertaining game from the moment I started playing. While its roots are deeply entrenched in Minecraft, the depth and gameplay definitely strive for more. The most fun I had while playing was during multiplayer online with friends on a server we created. The constant need to improve your gear and gain better loots while you dig deeper and deeper into the world was fun and challenging. My only gripes with the game were with the lack of different types of enemies as you progressed and the speed at which you could gain everything in the game. After 2 days of playing I had the best armor, weapons, and other equipment equipped and found myself bored. Its too bad that the creators didn't see a need to include more than two or three different mobs to kill per biome that you progress through. Also, the difficulty in the game really can only be gauged by the amount of damage you take from the nine or ten mobs that spawn constantly. After appropriate armor upgrades which are easily obtainable through multiple low penalty deaths, you are pretty much unstoppable within 5 hours of playing. Also, after you have acquired everything that you want in the game, there is no incentive to restart a new character or to continue playing. Unless additional content comes fast and often, I could see this game falling by the wayside for many gamers as they seek entertainment elsewhere to quench the thirst for fun games. Even with these things that i have pointed out as flaws (no game is perfect) Terraria brought good ideas and freshness to the 2d plane I thought I would never have interest in again. While the game can be thoroughly combed within ten hours, and a bit repetitive at times, It was still engaging through its entirety and fun. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys Minecraft but wishes for more action oriented gameplay. For now I'll give it a 8 leaning more toward 7.5 until more content is released. The potential is there and for 10 bucks its well worth the investment. Expand
  26. May 21, 2011
    Basically this game is a 2D minecraft but without all the cool stuff you can build in minecraft, lifts etc. You can spend hours playing that is true but you will spend hours doing nothing really, just like minecraft. Very slow, nothing new, worse gameplay because it is 2D, no gamepad support, no decent resolution in fullscreen. Waste of 6 quid and 4 hours of my life.
  27. May 21, 2011
    I got this game on Steam solely because it was cheap, and I wanted to play an old school 2D platformer. Oh boy, what a terrible jumble and mess this game is. It tries to be Minecraft in 2D by giving the ability to build stuff no one cares about, has clunky gameplay, stability issues and is terribly boring. No amount of multiplayer can make this game fun for me. Also, it looks terrible. There are indie games that were designed by single person and look better than this. This is not even a game, more like an operant conditioning experiment in pointless clicking. I wish I could get a refund. I would feel robbed even if this game was free. Expand
  28. May 22, 2011
    I've been playing Terraria for almost a week now with a little over 20 hours invested and I can safely say this game has already and easily made my top 10 games of all time. With free content updates promised for the future, I suspect it will make it into my top 5 and eventually top 3. This is the type of game that I will gladly purchase copies for my friends, it deserves it. Games recently have a tendency to hold your hand throughout the entire game, taking away from the excitement and reward of figuring things out on your own. Terraria is not one of those games. Big studios should take note, it's not fancy graphics and gimmicks that make a game great, it's great game-play and Terraria is overflowing with it. GOTY for me. Expand
  29. May 22, 2011
    Original game. Yes, it is original. Why? Isn't it just like Minecraft except 2D? Well, while Terraria and Minecraft share similiar aspects such as building and mining, Terraria is more focused on exploration and combat. With dozens of caves filled with chests and skeletons it gives you more of a reason to explore than Minecraft does. It has more to do as after I got my diamond equipment in Minecraft the game started to become, honestly quite boring. Building was fun for a while but it just didn't last. Terraria offers more to do and has more replay value than Minecraft on it's own. Sure Minecraft is fun but honestly the updates have been slow and Terraria now has more potential. Expand
  30. May 26, 2011
    Great little game. I love the old school feel of the game. Control is responsive and the gear choices allow you to play more as a 2d shooter or 2d hack-n-slash. I've really enjoyed the exploration. If you like to dig tunnels and wonder what is just out of sight you will enjoy the exploration aspect of this game. Building up a house has been interesting and I like how expanding the house brings in different NPCs. There are number of random and triggered events to mix up the normal pacing. The game also supports multi-player which is golden for the co-op crowd.

Two features really increase re-playability of the game for me. The first feature is the random world generation. Each world is different. You can generate a new world whenever you feel like it. The second feature is that the character is persistent outside of the world. If you advance gear in one world you can take it any other world.

I have almost 40 hours into the game and still have much to explore, build, craft, and battle. For me the game was a complete steal at $10. Best of luck to the developers.
  31. May 22, 2011
    absolutely the best game i have played in years; i cant stand how lame and boring minecraft is; not to mention that terrible 3d boxxy style

2d with sprites takes me right back to the days and this game has it all; platforming elements, its like zelda meets minecraft meets castlevania; it strikes just the right chord with my inner gamer

multiplayer is way more fun than i expected and
    the game just kicks ass all the way around Expand
  32. May 22, 2011
    awesome game, must buy, and its only $10 on steam
  33. May 23, 2011
    The ones that says that Terraria is like Minecraft should go play the game before writing a "review".

Terraria is one of those special gems that you find. It's not expensive, it's extremely addicting and one helluva experience. It has all the building and mining of minecraft but with the equipment, combat, looting, and gameplay of a sidescrolling action RPG. the whole game feels more
    polished than Minecraft, anyway, with more items, less bugs, and more fun. It's only $10, it'd be worth at least $50. You should buy it. Now. Expand
  34. May 22, 2011
    If you already have Minecraft, don't buy Terraria! If you don't have Minecraft, then buy it and still don't buy Terraria! Terraria is Minecraft, but 2D and ten times worse. It's the same thing except with less immersion, awful sprites, and an unclassy feeling to it.
  35. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simpel game but increibly addictive.
    I was on the fence with this one the game looked really bad judging of the screenshots but when you start tto play you won't stop.

people who say this is minecraft 2d are just being harsh there are lots of games that borrowed little idears from on another..........well all fps are wolfenstein rip offs period
  36. May 22, 2011
    If your fine with 2d and the graphics then this game is awesome. Has a lot of content! No major bugs. Awesome game! Has some similarities with Minecraft, but nothing what you could call "ripped off". It's just inspired by Minecraft. At least it seams so.
  37. z0m
    May 22, 2011
    20 hours of play later, I can easily say purchasing Terraria has been the best 10 bucks I've spent in a while. I decided to give the game a eight simply because there are some things missing. The devs did mention in a post at Terraria Online that they basically released the beta version for multiple reasons and are well aware of server hosting issues and incomplete content. Future updates are already in the works but I'm reviewing the game as of now. If the TerrariaOnline.com Wiki didn't exist or if people don't take the initiative to seek answers for their questions about the game, I can see how it is very frustrating in the beginning. The Guide doesn't really help you at all and hardly goes in depth when explaining the proper way to build a shelter and how to get the other NPCs to move in. Also, explanation of the crafting system deserves some improvement. If you have no IT background, hosting a server is difficult and entering a users IP to join instead of selecting from a list is frustrating as well. Other than that, the game is genuinely fun. A couple friends and I started a world together and I found myself laughing almost the entire time. The content is so intricate, you are bound to spend hours exploring and adventuring. I am truly excited for what they add in the future. Expand
  38. Jul 7, 2011
    I've played 10 hours now in co-op with a friend and start to question myself where this time has gone. Terraria is one more gaming phenomenon that I fail to understand, except how much I search and try to find the worth. I don't have anything against old school DOS graphics, laid back games, original 2D-side-scrollers - I do quite like the fighting in Terraria (would it have been placed in a better context and be a bit more diversified - someone mentioned there are only a dozen mobs in the entire game). I rreally like games that were created with some dedication, that try to deliver a good experience in any way possible. And I do respect the work of coding and everything that the developers put inside it and hoped they had fun with it, had they only worshipped the players' time a bit more. Terraria really reminds me of a section out of The Phantom' Tollbooth's novel: The Terrible Trivium, a demon in the Mountains of Ignorance who wastes time with useless jobs. By giving the protagonist a pair of tweezers with which he has to shift a whole pile of sand. That's Terraria. It won't get you anywhere important, just waste your time digging and digging and digging literally thousands of tiny little blocks to get a +X defence armor and a +X attack sword in the end with which you bash at the dozen rarely appearing mobs. Expand
  39. May 22, 2011
    An interesting alternative to Minecraft but the merge from 3D to 2D takes away more than you think. Nice as harmless little addition to your game collection - but not the all-immersive, deep experience it promises.
  40. May 22, 2011
    Amazing game. Anybody thinking it is a simple Minecraft clone in an attempt for cash is mentally challenged. If you cannot see the vast playability of this game then you have no care for learning a bit about the game. With a much deeper exploration and rpg style Terraria is a unique experience. Taking actual gameplay and making it exciting, challenging. There is general sense of difficulty that is strengthened by a lighter death penalty. For 20 dollars this game is amazing, for 10 even more. If you are still wondering whether it is a cheap 2D Minecraft knockoff, get real. These developers know what they are doing and have executed it magnificently. Pick this game up, now! Expand
  41. May 23, 2011
    I have a nasty little cold atm, and I bought this game on Friday and have put in 23 hours by Sunday night.
    This game is quite simply amazing. I love the fact that it is challenging. My only two gripes so far are no Gamepad support, and I have yet to be able to play Multiplayer for some reason I'm still working out. Otherwise I would give this game a perfect 10. This game is an OCD'er's wet
    dream. :D Expand
  42. May 22, 2011
    This little time-waster uses ideas from every game you ever loved and creates a truly addicting gameplay-experience. The graphics are simple and compare to what you might have seen on the SNES and I am loving it. Terraria may be the best 2D-game of this year.
  43. May 23, 2011
    How come the AAA titles can never explore new mechanics in this way? Incredibly engaging and entertaining game - made even better by the addition of some friends.

It really is a Roguelike all grown up with a lot less frustration.

Also, for those reviewing without having played the game, saying it is a Minecraft clone. Please, leave - Notch would be embarrassed of you.
  44. Jun 19, 2011
    This game is bad, and you should feel bad for playing it. It's like if minecraft (one of the worst and overrated games ever) had a baby with maple story (also garbage).
  45. Dec 3, 2011
    I tried so hard to like Terraria. I really, really did. For one thing, it was free. A friend bought it for me. It is a MAJOR waste when you can't learn to like something you didn't even pay for. Also, lots of my friends were playing it for a long time, and they wanted me to join them on their server, hence the free game. So my drive to like Terraria was threefold: it was free so it was wasteful not to play it, I didn't want to be rude and not play it with my friends who bought it for me, and I had heard from so many glowing reviews that there was this gem of a game somewhere beneath the surface.

Well I've tried, and tried, and I just can't get excited about Terraria. Anytime I play this game, I am bored stiff. Here's where I think the problem lies:

Yes, there's all the comparisons to Minecraft. Let me tell you, I don't give a crap about any of that. Yes , I've played Minecraft and I liked it a lot. No, I don't care if Terraria "ripped it off" or not. A game can rip of or be inspired by other games as much as it wants. If the end result is fun, we're all the more merry for it. So it's not that it's like Minecraft.

Same goes for all the comparisons to "Metroidvania" games. Fine with me, so it's not that it's like Metroidvania games. The problem, I believe, is that it's not ENOUGH like either a Metroidvania game or a Minecraft game. That's the feeling I couldn't shake when playing this... this game is just so... lukewarm. Let's look at it from the Minecraft side. As a Minecraft-esque game, i.e. a creative tool with adventure elements, it doesn't stand up. It's just not as fun to create things in 2d. You can't think of the crazy, creative ideas that you can in something like Minecraft because there's just one less plane to work with. On top of that, if you do want to approach it mainly as a way to let out your creativity, you are going to be sorely taxed as monsters crawl up your butt from every angle. You're going to be spending just as much material making yourself new weapons to deal with your enemies as you do making structures. There is too large a helping of action for the arm-chair architect. Also, your creativity will be stunted in the Crafting department. There is no playing around with materials and discovering new combinations here. If you have the raw goods in your inventory, what you can make with them is laid out before you. As a creative tool, Terraria just doesn't stand up. It's just not as good.

Now let's look at Metroidvania aspect. The same thing has happened here, the action and adventure has been deluded by the crafty-half. The game doesn't respond or play like your standard Metroid shooter/platformer. The physics of your character are clunky and your weapons imprecise. You can tell this game was NOT coded with simply high-quality side-scrolling action in mind.

What happens with this game is simply this: they tried to combine two niches and wound up watering down both. If you want to play a side-scrolling indie action game on the PC, for god sake, play Capsized or something. After coming back from that, you won't be able to stand Terraria. If you want to build something, play Minecraft. If you really are the niche player these programmers were looking for and you simply MUST have side-scrolling action and building/crafting in the same game... well... then I guess you will love this thing. If you ask me though, you'll only love it because there's nothing better out there in the genre at the moment, just this I gave this a negative score, despite the fact that the structure of the game is basically sound, because the game isn't even entertaining to me in a bad way. It is frustratingly bland.
  46. Feb 1, 2014
    I have lost many hours on this game that I would care to admit.
    People compare this to Minecraft. This is an insult to Terraria.
    The content you get from this 2D side scroller is enormous.
    Don't want to say to much more except that if you don't buy and play this game, you are truly missing out.
  47. Jun 9, 2011
    I've been craving a 2D SNES looking game for awhile and here it is. This game sold me after I watched the trailer and the $10 for this game was well spent. It's much so different from minecraft. It has more emphasis on combat with a lot of different tools/weapons/Spells. It still has a good sandbox side to it but minecraft would be better for building as it is 3D. I guess the best way to describe what this game is like is a Zelda/castelvania as far as getting more life and useful tools in a progressive way. You are constantly trying to get better armor through mining rarer ores or killing bosses. The developers are hard at work at all times updating the game with more content for free. I was kind of skeptical at first about buying this game as there weren't any review on release date but It was worth more than the $10 dollars. I has a lot to do, a lot of re-playability, and multiplayer with randomly generated worlds to sandbox in and co-op. If your not sure about picking it up, "just do it." You won't regret it. Expand
  48. May 23, 2011
    Have you noticed how all the bad ratings are zero.

That's because they haven't played it.
    Terreria is similar to minecraft, yes, but has a much more diablo loot feel to it.
    honestly if you threw mario, minecraft, castlevania and diablo into the game-o-matic you'd get this.

The only reason I'm giving it an 8 is because it gives me severe headaches. it's probably the low-res
  49. May 23, 2011
    Its a simplistic (at first glance) 2d minecraft, but after playing a while you will see its fairly complex. Being a 2d game its loaded with features and little perks that make it enjoyable like no other game. You start of with an axe and a pick. No tutorial at all, there is a guide, but he is not too much help. After beating the first night or two, you will be sucked into the 2d world for longer time. There are many more raw materials and recipes than in minecraft and the world is much more aggressive. Lots of mobs try to kill you. That is balanced out by the fact, that death only resets your position to the spawn point, and makes you drop half of your money. The worlds are HUGE (even the small one), therefore the way back to your last position may take a while.
    The biggest drawback is the fact, there is no dedicated server software, but that probably is just question of time. You can start multiplayer game by hosting it on your desktop.
  50. May 23, 2011
    Different Than Minecraft -- Terraria is a solid game that stands on its own and delivers more fun than $10 could get you anywhere else.

Gameplay Summary -- Terraria combines classic platforming and RPG elements with sandbox gameplay in a randomly generated world. Most of the game can be experienced in Singleplayer, with Multiplayer being identical except for opening up the optional
    player-vs-player combat. Progression -- Progressing through the game brings you to explore deeper underground, farther outward on the surface, and maybe.. up? ;) Your character can be improved by crafting or finding new gear and by increasing your health and mana pools. Gear ranges from tools, to armor, to special accessories that can improve or alter character's mobility and stats. Certain areas remain impassible until you've acquired the right gear or defeated one of the game's three (for now..) boss monsters. Graphics -- 2D sprite artwork, strongly reminiscent of FF4 (FF2 US) and FF6 (FF3 US) from back in the SNES/Sega Genesis days, but fairly well done. This may bother some gamers, but certainly not all.

If you've never played Minecraft (or if you're new to indie games) --
    It's worth noting Terraria is an Indie game that only just entered development back in January 2011, so it will be a little rough around the edges compared to your typical big-budget game. Your first few minutes in Terraria will likely be a bit frustrating. I recommend you check out some "Surviving your first night in Terraria" youtube videos, or other tutorials just to get started. Once you get into the swing of things, the game becomes less daunting and far more enjoyable.

Since some of people are wondering why bother if its just like Minecraft (it's not!), here's a short summary of my opinion on major differences -- - Minecraft is better for epic buildings & creations, and its gameplay is almost purely "sandbox" elements. Exploring is mostly sight-seeing. Singleplayer gets stale fast, yet Multiplayer lacks features found in Singleplayer.

- Terraria is better for adventuring, and its gameplay is a combination of platforming, combat, RPG-ish progression and "sandbox" elements. Exploring is a combination of sight-seeing, loot discovery, and game progression. Singleplayer doesn't get stale nearly as fast, and Multiplayer has all of the features.

Conclusion --- If any of the gameplay described sounds interesting to you, and the graphics don't bother you, then this game is easily worth the $10. The developer seems responsive and fixed several previously unknown bugs the day after launch. As a bonus, they have clearly stated the intent to add content to the game post launch, for free. If you're on the fence, check out a few of the videos, and realize that what you see is much more fun if you're the one playing!
  51. May 25, 2011
    The reason I say Terraria is a beautiful game isn't because of the glorious pixel art; although the combination of pixel art, procedural generation, and smart use of lighting and particle systems are beautiful, but because many of the design decisions are just precisely right. For a game developed over 5 months by 4 people, it shows an incredible level of maturity.

One of the few things
    Terraria gets wrong is that it doesn't explain the most straight forward thing you need to learn: which is that the mouse cursor is how you primarily interact with the world, limited for the most part by the requirement that your avatar be in relatively close proximity. Of course, close proximity in a game of plunging chasms, flooded caverns and spawning monsters is itself a challenge, but there is no point which so far I've felt like the control scheme has been frustrating or unresponsive.

Like Minecraft, Terraria uses its procedurally generated backdrop as a palette for you to build and dig, but that's where many of the similarities end. Minecraft remains a toy sandbox (once the thrill and challenge of the first 30 minutes wears off), Terraria an open ended game. I've been meaning to write an article about the importance of that key verb 'dig': because it lets you throw off the shackles of required connectivity that makes much procedural content generation so frustrating (to design and to play in) and lets you generate glorious playgrounds which ultimately may be broken, but which the player has the tools to fix. Where Angband has gone wrong is digging is slow and unrewarding, Spelunky makes the mistake of limiting the level size, but here the maps are effectively limitless in size (in reality, just really huge - use the 3rd party mapping tool - just once - to display a map you've spent 3 or 4 hours exploring to see what I mean), and for the most part well-connected enough so that it is clear where you need to dig to hollow out a pathway or bring down a cascade of sand, but still big enough to make choosing a random direction and tunnelling an exercise in patience and frustration and occasional delight (as so it should be).

Terraria makes the same smart decision that Minecraft does (and where Love goes horribly wrong) by using its pixel art assets to make it really clear what everything is: here are blocks of dirt, sand and rock, this is tree, grass and flower, and not only are they clearly delineated, but the clever crafting system makes these differences important. I say everything is differentiated: but at the same time rock, and the various ores are similar enough so that you need one next to the other to distinguish the two, forcing you to be keenly observant when you explore underground. Many times, I've paused at a rocky outcrop on the surface that I've run over tens of times, and suddenly realised that it was a valuable iron deposit.

Exploring underground is as glorious as it could be: musically, rhythmically, the deep, but survivable drops from tunnel system to tunnel system, the splashes of unseen enemies in murky pools, the lighting system which limits your exploration by the torches you bring with you (or have wood and the foresight to be able to construct on the way), the frequent rewards of pots to smash (another Zelda touch to go with the swords swishing through glass and the slime enemy design), and the glorious highs of a single hidden reward which can make a whole trip worthwhile. What has ultimately limited my descents, as well as my overland trips, is water, which a clever take on swimming prevents you from moving quite as freely as you'd have hoped, not to mention limiting your breath. What makes this especially interesting is that it is often water that I've inadvertently let lose from an aquifer higher in the dungeon, which has sunk to the bottommost depths of the level preventing me progressing.

I've begun exploring the [redacted] you can find on the surface, destroying my first [redacted] with some clever [redacted] placement, and I've found enough [redacted] that the first boss monster has noticed my presence. The surface [redacted] is enough of a challenge in its own right, taking away much of your usual toolset as well as more dangerous enemies, environment and geography; and I'm pausing for air before attempting what, given my equipment (copper and iron, and a nifty magical ranged weapon), sounds like it will be a challenge. Beyond that, I've got more bosses to fight and biomes to explore, and many more magical items to find.

But I'm worried that I may have already spoiled too much of the game for you. I strongly urge you to stay as spoiler free as possible when you play.
  52. May 28, 2011
    Simply amazing game!
    I haven't had so much fun with a game in a long time!!
    The game like it is now is 5 times worth its money, and there's still so much more content on the way!
  53. Jun 9, 2011
    Most people are comparing this game to Minecraft, but this game is no Minecraft. Minecraft is about building, mining, and some other stuff. Terraria is about exploring this amazing world and is pushing to the RPG side instead of survival. The game itself is not too unique, but makes up in gameplay style and endless multiplayer fun (Ignoring the constant server whitelists and overprotective server mods), it is amazing fun to play with your friends, and you could bring over your singleplayer character into multiplayer worlds.

People compare this to Minecraft because it has place and destroy block system similar to Minecraft, but Minecraft just defined a sub-genre that is now a block creative mode, making it more common among more Indie developers.

The graphics to this game are somewhat beautiful, reminding me of the classic JRPG games on older consoles. The game runs smoothly on low-end PCs, and there is always some cranny to explore. The art is done quite beautiful and makes you seem enchanted in this majestically done game.

This game is a definite must play, plus you would be supporting Indie Developers.
  54. Jun 23, 2011
    I bought this game one week after it released and have enjoyed it tremendously. Yes its a simple 2d side scroller but its much more complex and winding than that. I have about 50 hours logged on it already and I am still planning on playing for at least that much more before I get tired of it (patch 1.05 coming out soon!

$10 buy it!!!!!
  55. May 29, 2011
    This game is great. Other sandbox games have a weak adventure part, but Terraria gives you the possibility to create and defend your world. Today, the developer wrote about his feature plans for the game and all of them sound absolutely great. I haven't played Terraria online for a second. I still stick to the offline part, waiting for great new content. I would definitely pay for it because i have only paid 10â Expand
  56. Jun 8, 2011
    I'm not going to lie, at first I was really turned off by Terraria. Why would anyone want to play a 2D minecraft clone when we already got minecraft? Then I took another look at it because my friend insisted it was amazing. I watched the trailer, and started picking up on things that definitely weren't MC like. I started poking around and giving it a chance. Now I'm hooked, it's such an awesome adventure game! There's so much to explore and see, always something new, it's hard to get bored. Terraria doesn't deserve to be held up to MC; It's a fine adventure sandbox game all unto itself either way. Now I did poke into the wiki a bit, and started noticing just how much there was to see and do. I recommend you do what I am doing and keep your game as spoiler free as possible. You'll really only have to look at the wiki if you have honestly run out of things to do. Play it in multiplayer if you can as well, that alone really helped improve my experience. Expand
  57. Jun 5, 2011
    Terraria is a cross between Diablo II, Super Metroid, and SimCity. The sandbox style of play is refreshing and freeing, while you are still presented with a number of quandaries you can only solve through ingenuity or, more often, consulting online resources. Either patience or greed is enough to get you to the end of this game -- while some players might be frustrated in the amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B, others will take this as a challenge to discover more efficient means of travel. It's true -- the weakest element of the game's design is the digging. I wish that something besides pixeled squares had been selected as the "atom" of this universe. It creates a mathematical angle to the entire play experience, and frankly, it doesn't do it any favors besides the tired "retro" feel. Yes, I'm twenty-six and I miss my NES, but not everything needs to go back to that 8-bit world.

I love the slow accretion of clearly tiered gear. I dislike the awkward inventory system. I love venturing into new areas once I have the requisite equipment (a la Metroid). I hate digging randomly downward for five minutes before finding another air pocket. I love crafting recipes. I love building houses and other buildings. (I haven't played multiplayer yet and probably never will.)

When I bought this game I had high expectations. They weren't met, but I enjoyed playing anyway.
  58. May 22, 2011
    THIS IS NOT A MINECRAFT RIP OFF! (to the minecraft fan boys, minecraft's creator has already given this game the thumbs up)

Ok, now that is said, this is a very interesting game. While it does have some aspects of minecraft (ie mining for material and building stuff. Also some crafting) it focuses on action and adventure, and more exploring then minecraft. More Weapons to kill
    with, bosses to fight and 30+ hours of game play make this a well worth $10. Expand
  59. May 23, 2011
    Fantastic little game, well worth the money, at the very minimum you should be finding 30+ hours of play, and the time will fly by. Really good use of 2D space, and a very nice progression system.

It is worth noting that at the time of posting, every single review below "7" is a zero, all but one yelling Minecraft rip-off.

While there are many similarities to be drawn with Minecraft,
    such as resource gathering, and "blocks", it is in no way a clone or rip-off, and stands as its own game.
    If one must demand a comparison, where Minecraft often tend to focus on the building side of things, this game is an adventuring game. You spending a lot more time willingly fighting monsters, getting better weapons armour, and special accessories with unique functions. You push down (and occasionally upwards or sideways) going between different zones, with different strengths of challenge, and a different environment.
    With areas like corruption, which contain deep chasms which are nigh impossible to explore early game (though when you do, you can create yet another zone by calling down a meteorite), which can spread, and floating islands up in the sky, exploring is a very important factor of the game.

It is not perfect, and given a more precise scale such as percentage, it would have been given a 98-99, but then no game I've ever played has deserved 100. Curse rounding.

As far as flaws go, lack of ability to change resolution without 3rd party assistance is a little annoying, especially with multiple screens.
    It is also very occasionally buggy, mostly on the multiplayer, but it is being updated and patch, with new content as well as fixes.
    With the random world generation, certain necessary advancement tools can be hard to find (namely the demon altar), but this is solved by being able to share your character across world, and in your friends worlds, massively increasing chance of access to one.
    Crafting is very experimental. You often get very little indication what a craftable item is used for, and the crafting paths necessary for items, 'less it is a final usable thing, meaning that items like beds can be hard to discover, as you need to create a largish amount of silk beforehand, despite not knowing why. Either an attitude of willing to waste mats experimenting, or use of the wiki will be needed for crafting, if you want everything, however, everything completely necessary is self explanatory.
  60. Jun 3, 2011
    An amazing game, the art, sounds, and everything is well done. The concept is original and well executed, Notch could not have done better. There is not much to say in an in depth manner, it is just simply fun and addicting. The only negative thing I CAN say about this game is that the multiplayer is virtually unadministered and unadministerable. However, a recent update added a console and some commands along with it, hopefully this will grow into enabling the proper administration of servers. That is the only reason I give it a 9/10. Expand
  61. Jun 5, 2011
    Terraria is like a big box of Lego. You're free to explore the world and defeat the monster that lurk underground or you can just build whatever you want.

The crafting system is great, the music is nice and the developers are providing free update.
  62. Jun 9, 2011
    Really like any indie game out there it either drags you right in or you can never quite click with it at all. The game provides no coherent information to fully enjoy it so you may probably find yourself sifting through the many forums via steam and it's parent site. When you get over that gripe, and the slightly irritating multiplayer aspect (It's much easier to download and play multiplayer with a program called Hamachi), you get a game with as much character as Minecraft but with inverse interests: the building aspect is nowhere near as satisfying as with Minecraft but the simple yet effective combat and multitude of enemies and some challenge in this respect keep you interested, and addicted to this game, which I can safely say is not the kind of game you should just at face value. Expand
  63. May 25, 2011
    "Let's take Minecraft, rip everything that's GOOD from it, make it 2D, then add fancy weapons and NPCs". Way to go. 10/10 - Best game that I've played all year.
  64. Jul 2, 2011
    Comparing Minecraft to Terraria is like Halo to Half Life whilst they both share similarities it is only skin deep. If you go to play this game thinking it will be creative fiesta like Miencraft you will be dissapointed and if you go in thinking it will be a lousy 2D version of it you will be pleasantly suprised. The fun in Terraria is not in creating like Minecraft but in the exploration and gameplay. Expand
  65. Jun 18, 2011
    one thing :the negative reviews are **** from people that only play CoD and Shooting games that think games are just as good as their graphics
    this game is no 2D minecraft rip-off, this game has bosses, awesome end-game and so on. it's able to have much more content than minecraft in less time just because it's in 2D.
    minecraft and terraria are totally different games if you play them
    enough to know them well
    minecraft has a strong building side terraria has a strong adventure side

both games are great
    i would give this game a 11 in 10 but it's impossible
  66. Jun 2, 2011
    Its obvious from moon, Terraria is a labor of love! Its so rare these days.
    Made in less than six months, Terraria describes *basic* form of ultimate sandbox game. Playing it, I felt again like a kid building castles of sand. It doesnt rush you, it doesnt introduce cheap/hyped story lines, it doesnt force you into any silly classes and is not obsessed with redundant numbers. Its well
    balanced and a pleasure to play. Worlds are literally huge and although game is stable and released, developers are promising inspired new content (not DLCs or some similar marketing/cash milking crap). Expand
  67. May 23, 2011
    This game is very addictive until you run out of ideas.The graphics are cute and remind me of my SNES-times bringing a lot of nostalgia. It combines the best features of many genres to be a powerful and enjoyable indiegame. It has RPG elements, NPCs, Hack'n'Slash elements, sandbox creativity-building and generally a lot to discover. This game sucked me in for the first ~20 hours almost playing 10 hours in a row (so be careful to miss school / your job!). Even after "finishing" the game by obtaining the best gear and defeating all bosses there is still plenty to do. Unless you lack imagination in which case you might get bored. There is a lot of room to build. Not just houses, but fun creative stuff like Bowling or even Buzzwire (check youtube). Now to the negative parts of the game. First off the multiplayer was kind of laggy, as in that monsters often 'teleport' especially slimes and deamoneyes. There are still bugs and errors after the first patch, the game sometimes randomly crashing on switching to fullscreen. But those should be fixed with the upcoming patches. Speaking of patches there is still plenty of improvement, like adding more NPCs, items and bosses. I am sure this game will improve even more. One of the best games I have bought in years. Enjoy. Expand
  68. Jun 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fun game. It plays like a mixture of infiniminer, spelunky, and castlevania. Yes, yes, infiniminer and minecraft have blocks. What they DON'T have is a comfortable platforming experience, interesting items, or a fun loot system. A spreading corruption across the land, invasions, meteors with mineable ore, falling stars, randomly placed chests, fun monsters and bosses... These are all gimmicks, but I think they've really made the game. Expand
  69. May 31, 2011
    I cant believe people would rate this a zero... hell even if its not your cup of tea I can't imagine rating lower than 6 or 7...

This game is great... more action than Minecraft and feels significantly different. Not as much for building things and more about the adventure. Absolute steal at $10.
  70. Jun 4, 2011
    The first screen shot of the game that I saw didn't draw me in, but the video had me interested -Minecraft meets Castlevania. It provides a sandbox to (literally) dig in, plenty to build, new and surprising enemies to defeat and plenty of rare items to discover. It is simple in its concept but robust in depth. The UI is well-done and it feels quite polished. Death is handled very well, with the player losing no inventory, but dropping half of their money, which can be recovered. The game delivers, and after a week I've already recommended it to one friend and gifted it to another. Multiplayer offers many opportunities for hilarity. Expand
  71. Jun 5, 2011
    I think that there is too much of an emphasis that this game 'is like a 2D version of Minecraft'. The gameplay and the focus of the two games are very different. Whereas in Minecraft, the emphasis is to build impressive structures and go exploring, Terraria is about getting stronger and better gear to fight bosses. Yes, you can build in Terraria, but it's only to get another NPC character to live in, not really to impress with the scale and grandeur of it. Of course you COULD build for that purpose, but I think that side of Terraria is quite dull. Fortunately, the game's focus is on exploring underground and searching for floating islands for upgrades, weapons, items, accessories and materials to make better gear and weapons so that you can take on the strongest enemies in the game and it's a lot of fun doing so. There is a lot of gear in the game which helps keep the game from becoming stale the more that you progress and the boss fights are a lot of fun. The best way to think about it is a Castlevania/Super Metroid with Minecraft elements.

Unfortunately, getting used to the game does take a fair amount of patience as there is no direct tutorial, but I've never been one for hand holding in video games, it takes away the feeling of fun and accomplishment you get when you get good at a game. Also, once you've beaten the bosses and obtained the best gear you can, the building mechanics really cannot sustain the game and there's not much of a reason to continue playing the game, but for £6/$10, I've sunk more hours into it than what I do most full priced retail games.

It might not be a perfect game, but it is a lot of fun and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has even the slightest iota of interest in it.
  72. Jun 5, 2011
    Terraria is an absolutely amazing game as a retro hybrid of minecraft. Its smooth, crisp gameplay, catchy music, and diverse concepts/elements provide a completely unparalelled gameplay experience for all ages.
  73. Jun 5, 2011
    Terraria is an awesome, Minecraft Based 2D Game, with help of popularity of minecraft this game has sold 2 millions in first days of launch, but it is more than a minecraft based game, it is really awesome how well planned is this little game and for 10USD you will get a lot of fun single player and multiplayer
  74. Jun 13, 2011
    Simply one of the best games i played this year! Exploring is even more fun then in minecraft!
    Also it's 2D you do not lose all of the possibility of building!
    The water physics are just amazing! ;)

10.0
  75. Jun 14, 2011
    Some people call terraria a Minecraft wanna be a Minecraft copycat in all honesty its a game within itself yeah it might have some aspects of Minecraft but terraria just has a larger selection of options in the game play no offence to notch he did a awesome job on Minecraft but the makers of terraria relogic i believe and red or are they the same i dont know ut they just blew all other 2D platform based games out of the water good job guys Expand
  76. Jun 15, 2011
    How could ANYONE who played this game give it a 0? Seriously one of the BEST games I have played in years! This game blends arcade action, strategy and exploration very well - it has great depth and when you get tired of all that? Take your time and build a castle! TOTALLY AWESOME I'm not fooling, this game came out two weeks ago and steam is reporting I have played 100 hours and I have yet to see the end game content. and its only $10... you just cant beat that - I LOVE TERRARIA! Expand
  77. Jun 18, 2011
    Great game. I was an avid Minecraft player, and at first had my doubts. I at first thought this was just a Minecraft rip-off. But boy, was I wrong. This is one of the greatest games that I have played in a long while. To those who think this is just 2D Minecraft, think again. The pixel graphics are great, and are perfect for this type of game. This is like a Minecraft-RPG-Platformer sort-of remix. In conclusion, buy this game. This great indie game is completely worth the 10 dollars I paid for it. If you are a fan of Minecraft, then this game is for. Even if you haven't played Minecraft, buy this game. I can almost guarantee that you will like it. Expand
  78. Mar 30, 2013
    Terraria is a really fun game and should not be determined by the graphics. You can do anything from building a castle to making a hellevator. There is no end to this spectacular game
  79. May 27, 2011
    If you like Minecraft, you will like this; otherwise this game is trash. Old school DOS graphics. Figure it out for yourself how to play this because there is no documentation or real intuitiveness to what you are supposed to do. $10 is WAY overpriced; more like FREE to $1 max. It is a 16MB download on steam to give you an idea of how little disk space it wastes on your hard drive. The concept is there, but they need to spend some time on modernizing the game to make it appeal to me. Expand
  80. Jul 17, 2011
    I'm gonna give this game a 10/10. It deserves a 8 or a 9 but after seeing how those spambots gave it 0, lowering it's score by a handful and spamming "minecraft clone" I can't help but to feel sorry for the developers... falling on User Score below 8 is devastating for such a promising game.
  81. Jun 10, 2011
    At first glance Terraria might look like a simple cash-in on the popularity of Minecraft. But it is far from that, as there are numerous features that make this game different and infact and alternative to the blocky 3D sandbox.

Terraria is more RPG/exploration orientated than Minecraft, which relies on the users creativity to make their own fun. You will dig, explore, collect materials
    and craft. Sounds similar, but Terraria breaks away from Minecraft with features like a deeper level of exploration and bosses. Instead of simply mining in a randomly generated cave that become tedious. You will find yourself in areas like dungeons, an underground jungle and even hell it self. All adding to the variation in the game, something that Minecraft lacks. Bosses also break from the tedium of basic monsters by providing the requirement of additional strategy than simply just hit and run tactics. Characters are also capable of being migrated to new generated worlds when you inevitably do all that is possible or you meet the end of the world (an opening to an ocean) , which is something that Minecraft lacks.

The only problem I see with this game is there is a wall you reach when you have done all of exploration and item collection. I have played for more than 40 hours and I have done all what can be done. I'd like to see more updates to keep the game fresh and possibly a mod API to have an effectively infinite replay value. Some people have also been having issues with multiplayer, I have yet to try this feature due to the issues I've had, so no positives or negatives can be levered towards it. This is a serious competitor to Minecraft, I (and possibly a lot of other people) believe that this game shows Minecraft's flaws, and Notch is going to be losing a lot of customers who want a more RPG/hardcore orientated experience.
  82. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the great sandbox adventure game,can't stop once start!!
    totally addicted with it! After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it
  83. May 26, 2011
    Just...awful...
    It's like a poorly designed, unoriginal, messy, 2d, insubstantial, devoid of gameplay, emotionless, dull, repeditive, pointless and unintuitive version of minecraft with all the good bits taken out.
    if you enjoy this game, there's a good chance you'll enjoy lobotomy as well, as they both leave you with the same "wow....I don't feel happy or sad...I just feel like I wasted
    an hour of my existance" feeling....that is if you retain feeling. Expand
  84. May 26, 2011
    Even though there is a lot of content, there could be more. I was hopelessly hooked and managed to get through the content in about 2 days of play. Although for the low price tag, it's still completely worth it. Since it's a sandbox game, I can just start a new game, giving myself my own new goals, even though I've already seen all of the content.
  85. May 31, 2011
    Great game to play with friends. I have been playing this since it came out with a few buddies of mine, and Its been a blast. This game definitely isnt for everyone, but if you value exploration, and rewarding gameplay then this is for you. Also the game is still technically unfinished as the developers have said to expect regular content updates from here on out. Even if they dont update the game its still an excellent purchase for 10$ ive already logged a good 40+ hours. thats more than most 60$ console games already. Expand
  86. Jun 1, 2011
    I haven't played Minecraft, so I'm unable to low-ball this game for being a "knockoff" as many reviewers have. Terraria plays extremely well as a 2d sandbox with lots of options and exploration, the retro look is welcoming to a lot of gamers and doesn't hurt game quality at all, and a very simple UI/control system gives you enough to work with and doesn't overwhelm with a steep learning curve. Though...there's a lot of little detail that the 'Tip Character' doesn't let you know, forcing you to go to forums or Youtube videos to understand (which shouldn't be the case for simple things like how big a home should be to attract people to your world). The music gets a little drab over time as well, but it's very easy to turn it off and pull up your own playlist or Pandora. The combat can be downright irritating at times, tempting you to avoid confrontation with very basic baddies. And the multiplayer is tons of fun, but a lobby system is something to be desired at times, when playing with only friends isn't an option. This is a tremendous game in the end, regardless of little things that could be better. The size of the game really hits you when you go mining down into the world and seem to never hit a boundary, exploring and discovering new things and places is fantastic, and the freedom of creation in Terraria will keep me playing for a long time. Expand
  87. Jun 1, 2011
    Terraria is a great game, however you must be into this sort of thing in order to truly enjoy it. I really like the fact that everything that is done in this game, must be built off the materials you collect through your adventures. The multiplayer, although not as simple as joining anyone's random world, is still quite fun to play with a friend. However in doing so you should stick together most of the time because the spawn rate of creatures does increase greatly! I was a bit lost at the beginning, not entirely sure what to do, so I'd say as far as knocking a few points, having clarity was surely lacking. They have plenty of information online however, along with their youtube videos which can get you started in your own world. (This may just be because they released it earlier than they anticipated for fans chomping at the bit) Just remember this game is it's own genre. It's not so much an RPG, or a 2D shooter! If you check it out and think you wont like it, don't get it! Expand
  88. Jun 4, 2011
    This game has lots of content but puts the content in a relaxing game style and not so great graphics style. The music the first time you hear it is great, but since there is only 3 minutes of it it gets boring after a while. Hopefully if they continue to add content to the game this will be that one game I play when I want to do something other than shooting or thinking.
  89. Jun 15, 2011
    We are a big Minecraft family. I had heard about Terraria in the Minecraft forums. My kids started watching youtube videos of people playing and it looked interesting. I am a big minecraft fan and was from the first moment.. This game definitely takes a bit more to get the hang of things, but once you get there you will be thinking about how much iron or gold you need to iron to get that next weapon. It can seem a bit grindy at times, but seems to have enough surprises to keep you interested, I occasionally get frustrated at controlling the character, especially when stuck in a deep water pit. Multiplayer is fun, whether you play cooperatively or as a team. Overall if you like Minecraft, this game will appeal - just give it a chance to grow on you... I mean, what other game can you get a whoopie cushion. Expand
  90. Jun 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you enjoyed playing Minecraft and would like to relive the 8-bit side-scroller days, then you should check out Terraria. It starts you off a little more friendly by providing you with the basic tools for you to start mining and building your shelter. (Pick, Axe, Sword, Hammer) Once you've gathered some materials, you can scroll thru the very easy list of items that you can craft. Just that like Minecraft, you don't know how to make anything more without checking the Wiki page for all the crafting recipes. Once you've got your house built correctly, you'll have NPC's start moving into the rooms you've built. Gaining ones like the "Demolitionist" and "Nurse" after finding items deep in the caves randomly generated

For a game only made in 4 months and being patched constantly, This is a pretty fun sandbox game. I'm only 19 hours in and finally got a Grappling Hook made and using Gold and Silver items. -------
    Pros:
    The items on your character stay with them, regardless of starting a new singleplayer map or multiplayer.
    There is a convenient list of items you can scroll thru to see what you can make.
    Everything stacks, so you don't have single items taking up inventory space.
    There is no durability for items. They stay with you forever until you sell them.
    -----
    Cons:
    There's zero tutorial built into the game in order for you to learn how to play and advance, despite there being an NPC Guide for you to talk to. You have to goto Youtube and/or a Wiki page to look up things.
  91. Jun 19, 2011
    Beware to start up Terraria. It is highly addictive, eats up your time like nothing else and is some good old-fashioned fun while doing so. A definitive buy.
  92. Jun 19, 2011
    A pretty good game, well worth the 10 dollar price it currently has. The progression in the game is fun and the sheer amount of enemies and gear, as well as the variety of both, makes for a fun time exploring. Overall however, content is sparse in areas like end game gear and biome content. Fortunately that is the focus of the devs time right now.

In short, it's worth 10 dollars alone
    now, and with promises of more stuff being regularly added should only get better*.

*Unless Re-Logic pulls a Notch and goes on weekly vacations.
  93. Jun 19, 2011
    The game is good, however, the developers are complete moronic idiots to say the least. It is a shame that they took such a potential looking game, and turned it into a money making machine, not giving a damn about their users. For instance, they 'copyright claim' every negative review of the game on youtube. I got my account banned because I criticized their game for having poor replay value. (Which it does, once you reach the endgame)

For that reason, these developers do not deserve your 10$, go spend it on a game where the developers will actually care about their customers.
  94. Jun 19, 2011
    Game was real fun and hooked me for a while, however it was mostly because of the grinding involved to get certain armor sets and weapons/tools. The game is pretty much build a home, dig into the ground, collect ore, build things, make better weapons keep digging. All the while killing monsters that spawn at the speed of a rabbit gangbang. Boss fights aren't very tough unless you have low health and no potions

Will eat up quite a few hours if you want to get everything the game has to do
  95. Jun 20, 2011
    Awesome game. If you like good and funny games try it. You can't be wrong with thist one.
    If you fail at life and like boring things, you can always "play" minecraft.
  96. Jun 20, 2011
    Terraria is an amazing game. It had me hooked in the first minute there is just so much to do. Also this game is nothing like minecraft and they shouldn't be compared.
  97. Jul 2, 2011
    The reviews that say "This game sucks because bla bla bla and horrible graphics" amuse me very much. This game has a FEW resemblances to Minecraft, but think about this, with no Mods. Does Minecraft have Bosses? Does Minecraft have Dungeons? Does Minecraft have Jungles? Does Minecraft have Corruption? Now here are some smaller details. Does Minecraft have Tables? Does Minecraft have Chairs? Does Minecraft have 7 different types of armor? All of those are NO. Sure, Terraria borrows some unique features from Minecraft but Terraria also has a boatload of unique features of it's own. Also, to that graphics thing, IT'S 2D! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT YOU CoD FAN BOYS?! Expand
  98. Feb 10, 2012
    Terraria allows you to do a lot of things but at the end of your gaming session, you'll realize you have been doing absolutely nothing at all. It's slow, tedious, simplistic and has nothing to offer to mature gamers.
  99. Jul 3, 2011
    As one of the very few people online who hate Minecraft, I was not expecting to like Terraria. At first glance, it looks exactly like a 2D version of everybody's favorite virtual Lego game with all the mining, crafting, building, and pointless sandboxing. Don't let that fool you however; Terraria and Minecraft are as different as Super Mario Bros and Mega Man. While Minecraft focuses more on building amazing structures, Terraria is more centered around combat and exploration. It's still a sandbox game, so you're free to do whatever, but I enjoyed exploring the massive world I randomly generated in Terraria more than I did in Minecraft. Unlike Minecraft, there are more monsters to fight and there are even boss battles to spice things up a bit. Don't let whatever impressions you have of Minecraft stop you from giving Terraria a try. I was a bit skeptical when I threw my $7 (Steam sale) at Terraria, but I'm immensely satisfied with how far my purchase has gotten me. Expand
  100. Jul 4, 2011
    This is a fantasic open world 2D side scroller. Lots of loot and mobs, many areas to explore and endless building options. Has great online multiplayer options and great PVP. I put in over 100 hours before I felt like I've seen it all, and thats not bad for 10 bucks if you ask me (which you didn't)... Its worth checking out

(Written as of version1.0.5.)
  101. Jun 10, 2011

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.