• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: May 8, 2014
8.4

1. May 8, 2014
    I see dated and retro being used as a negative in a lot of reviews and let me just say these are totally positives. Todays games are filled with cut scene skippers and hand holding and linear story or gameplay. I grew up on these games Tex murphy, Black Dahlia, Spycraft, Blade Runner, etc, etc, these are an art form that was lost due to cost cutting measures and over reliance on cgi.I see dated and retro being used as a negative in a lot of reviews and let me just say these are totally positives. Todays games are filled with cut scene skippers and hand holding and linear story or gameplay. I grew up on these games Tex murphy, Black Dahlia, Spycraft, Blade Runner, etc, etc, these are an art form that was lost due to cost cutting measures and over reliance on cgi. sure its great when a game shows perfect synch with cg characters environments and voice actors but guess what, real actors already have realistic movements and facial features. Remember L.A. Noire I loved that game but it might as well have been a FMV game for all the special detail the new 360 camera process they used gave it. In short welcome back Tex we missed you pull up a chair and tell us many, many more stories. Expand
  2. May 27, 2014
    First thing is first, this game is definitely for those who can appreciate the original style, and doubly so for those who played the series previously. With that being said, they did a fantastic job at maintaining the old style that the fans had loved all while adding a nice modern touch. Yes, it's campy humor, yes the backgrounds are kind of static, but that's actually the point. TheFirst thing is first, this game is definitely for those who can appreciate the original style, and doubly so for those who played the series previously. With that being said, they did a fantastic job at maintaining the old style that the fans had loved all while adding a nice modern touch. Yes, it's campy humor, yes the backgrounds are kind of static, but that's actually the point. The game isn't trying to be some spotlights "look at me!" game, the game is trying to be a quality fun adventure game that is a throwback to times and a game style long lost. Does it succeed? Absolutely!

If you have not tried the series, it's still worth a purchase. It is fun, and some of the designs are not seen in modern gaming, such as FMV video WITH dialog options. It's also worth purchasing just to help support a developer that has the guts to try to bring back an old classic while staying true to its roots. Most modern developers ignore the roots when making sequels. If you have a passion for the gaming industry, give this a purchase! You'll be doing the industry a favor by showing others that the expected "norms" of modern gaming can be so much more than bread and butter shoot'em ups.
  3. Jun 28, 2014
    In my opinion, Tesla Effect falls somewhere around 7.5/10 (gave it 8 on here). I think this game will please Tex fans and newcomers alike, even if it isn't perfect. If you like a good story or adventure games, then check this one out. If you like it, I highly recommend trying out Tex's past adventures.

Let me start by talking about what the game gets right. First is the story/cutscenes. Tex Murphy is definitely back and they hit the nail on the head, bringing the right balance of humour and drama to the story and protagonist. The story is a satisfying conclusion to the cliffhanger of Overseer and with multiple story paths and endings provides some good replayability. The characters in the game are mostly quite good, with some familiar faces returning to Chandler Ave, and a few new ones.

The multiple paths and endings brings with it something new to Tex Murphy. Unlike The Pandora Directive, the path you choose will affect your ability to access several locations and will uncover different story elements. While these are all relatively small, most come with puzzles you won't get playing the game along another path. I just wish there was more of this: the gameplay is about 90% the same regardless of the path.

The gameplay is what you'd expect from an adventure game: inventory and “logic” puzzles. While easier on this front than it's predecessors, it was still fun. The atmosphere in several of the locations is excellent, and manages to capture some of the atmospheric elements that made Pandora so good. The main musical theme of the game is also excellent.

While the story is quite good, it can feel a bit rushed or disjointed at times. Sometimes you're thrown from one scene to the next with a bit of exposition in between – rather than returning control to you. You also can't visit locations whenever you want, even when there's no reason to disallow it – e.g. Why can't you return to the resort whenever you want, even if there is nothing to do there? This all gives the game a very linear feeling.

While the characters are mostly good, one in particular stands out as not: Smart Alex. Your new PDA sidekick (voiced by Kevin Murphy) feels out of place in a Tex adventure and is rarely very funny. Instead of hearing Tex's inner monologue, we're too frequently left hearing Smart Alex – even durng death sequences. I miss Tex lambasting himself for violating PI rules, or calmly explaining that he was mauled to death by a pack of hungry coyotes. All in all, I don't think this hurts the game too much.

While multiple paths are interesting, they seem to revolve exclusively around which woman Tex would like to romance. During the Kickstarter, it was promised that the three paths would be to find out what happened to Chelsee, uncover the truth about yourself, or find the people who were responsible for shooting you at the end of Overseer. While the Chelsee path is there, the other two don't seem to be. It would have been more satisfying if the woman Tex ended up with was caused by which path you're on, not the other way around.

As I said earlier, the gameplay is a bit too easy. There are fewer logic puzzles in the game than in the past and not enough head-scratchers. Only for a few puzzles did I feel the need to take out a pen and paper. Objects are frequently too close to where they will be used. I assume this was to save players from wandering around, but to me that is part of what makes an adventure game. I want to feel stumped, even for a just a few minutes. With the full walkthrough system in the game, this would have been possible without frustrating players who just want to move on. It would have also been nice if the “Gamer” difficulty had some differences that made it more challenging than the Casual difficulty setting.

The graphics are good (not great), but to me always take a back seat to everything else (unless they impact the gameplay somehow). That said, a few environments are a bit too empty, giving them an incomplete feel. Most notably are the sewers which are empty and boring. Even in the more complete feeling areas (which is the majority), there are so few things for Tex to look at. One of the greatest things about the previous games were Tex's humourous comments about mundane things, but almost every location has too many things that Tex can't comment on.

Pros:
    -Good story, with plenty of Tex humour
    -Good cast of characters (mostly) with some excellent newcomers
    -Multiple story paths and endings provide replayability
    -Some good adventuring gameplay
    -Atmospheric locations come close to matching Pandora's and UAKM's

Cons:
    -Some story feels rushed or incomplete in a few places (not enough to seriously affect enjoyment, though)
    -Story pathing relies too much on which woman Tex wants to be with
    -Gameplay is a bit too easy at times given that stumped players would have a hint system at their disposal
    -Some sparse environments
    -Too few items can be commented on by Tex
    -Smart Alex
  4. May 11, 2014
    Tex is back and with a vengeance!! The game is totally enjoyable and a wonderful addition to the Tex Murphy family of games. You don't just have to be a Tex fan to enjoy it. The FMV and editing are outstanding and it is a breath of fresh air to have a game again that demands the brain cells to really be engaged. Adventure games are indeed making a well deserved and necessary comeback andTex is back and with a vengeance!! The game is totally enjoyable and a wonderful addition to the Tex Murphy family of games. You don't just have to be a Tex fan to enjoy it. The FMV and editing are outstanding and it is a breath of fresh air to have a game again that demands the brain cells to really be engaged. Adventure games are indeed making a well deserved and necessary comeback and Tesla Effect rides high on the crest of that very wave. Well done Big Finish Games. Expand
  5. May 19, 2014
    I just finished playing the game and I must say I'm very satisfied with it. All the complains about FMV, crappy graphics etc. have little sense. This is an "old school" adventure game, nothing more and nothing less than what the Tex fans waited for years. Most of the backers were, in fact, old supporters and, for a work made by a dozen people with a litlle more than 600,000 dollars, II just finished playing the game and I must say I'm very satisfied with it. All the complains about FMV, crappy graphics etc. have little sense. This is an "old school" adventure game, nothing more and nothing less than what the Tex fans waited for years. Most of the backers were, in fact, old supporters and, for a work made by a dozen people with a litlle more than 600,000 dollars, I think is a good game. most important of all, it finally solves a cliffhanger that has given sleep issues on many people for days. My compliments to Jones, Carr and Conners: it would be interesting to see a feature film with Jones as Tex but, seeing what Hollywood makes up from videogames, maybe it's better not. Anyway, very good game, to be played last after Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive and Overseer. Expand
  6. Jun 1, 2014
    I have never enjoyed a PC adventure game more than Tex Murphy's Tesla Effect, and I've been playing PC games since 1986. The most remarkable thing about this newest Tex Murphy adventure is how well, after nearly 16 years, the characters have aged. Those who reprised their roles were wonderful, and Tex Murphy himself (Chris Jones) didn't miss a beat with his funny comments and charmingI have never enjoyed a PC adventure game more than Tex Murphy's Tesla Effect, and I've been playing PC games since 1986. The most remarkable thing about this newest Tex Murphy adventure is how well, after nearly 16 years, the characters have aged. Those who reprised their roles were wonderful, and Tex Murphy himself (Chris Jones) didn't miss a beat with his funny comments and charming dialog. I often laughed out loud while playing.

The very best part of this newest Tex Murphy is how wonderfully updated the mechanics of the game were. No more clunky movements of the past, especially when trying to elevate to look into drawers and such. The choice of Casual and Gamer was genius. I chose casual, and the in-game hints were fantastic. The complete differences in the endings was also remarkable. I played the game 7 times, and got every ending including finding all of the comic books to access Tex's storage room.

A user score of 8.5 is unfathomable to me - if this game doesn't rate a 10, then I can't think of another that does. I've played all of the "classics" through the years, including all of the King's Quest, Police Quest, Gabriel Knight, and Tex Murphy games. Far and away, this game had everything single thing that I love about adventure games.

The number one thing I found so wonderful about Tesla Effect is that I could, finally, on the casual level, choose to skip puzzles that I simply did not want to spend frustrating hours to complete and be stuck not being able to advance in the game. That one feature alone makes this game a 10.

The beautiful locations; the funny and intelligent dialog, the wonderful puzzles and use of inventory items, and the fantastic characters made this the most outstanding adventure game I have ever played.
    Also, being able to download from Steam, play for days, then uninstall so that the huge game doesn't clog my hard drive is nothing short of genius.

Giving this game a 10 doesn't even do it justice.
  7. Jun 9, 2014
    Please do not wait another 16 years to release a Tex Murphy adventure. This is exactly what adventure gaming should be about. Love everything about the game.
  8. May 11, 2014
    Yet another game where the community and the pro reviewers will most likely disagree.....
    This game is exactly what the community that crowd funded the project on kickstarter wanted, unfortunately the reviews seem to be done by completely ignorant or lazy journalists who don't know or didn't do their research about tex murphy or Full Motion Video.
    Any professional review that contains

Any professional review that contains the word "outdated" should be ignored as fast as possible.
  9. May 11, 2014
    Welcome back Tex!
    Great game! Nothing to say!! Feels like the old way game was made, but with beautiful graphics and sound!
    I really hope FMV genre will be back into video game's business.
  10. May 9, 2014
    It would have been easy for the creators of Tesla Effect to simply have given us what we wanted: another Tex Murphy game in the mold of UAKM, PD, and Overseer. In fact, they could have simply reused those engines, and most fans would have been happy. Instead, they dramatically reinvented the series to near perfection. The 3D world exploration is better than ever. And except for aIt would have been easy for the creators of Tesla Effect to simply have given us what we wanted: another Tex Murphy game in the mold of UAKM, PD, and Overseer. In fact, they could have simply reused those engines, and most fans would have been happy. Instead, they dramatically reinvented the series to near perfection. The 3D world exploration is better than ever. And except for a definite decrease in the amount of clickable objects (one of my favorite aspects from previous games in the series), it shines. The acting is as good as its ever been, and the story is touching. The best feature of the game, though, is its least mentioned--the subtle funneling of Tex along specific story pathways. And, aside from a few hiccups where the story branches merge back together, its done wonderfully. A few of the puzzles fail to impress (some are insultingly easy while others almost appear to be missing a hint document), but as a whole, this Tex Murphy fan is impressed and satisfied and hoping for a return to Chandler Avenue soon! Expand
  11. May 11, 2014
    Just finished this and it was awesome. As a fan of the old games this is exactly what I hoped for. Although the ingame graphics aren't really up to date the game is crafted with a lot of care and love.

If you consider the small budget and Team this is an enormous achievement. I can highly recommend this to everyone.
  12. May 11, 2014
    Tex Murphy is back and I'm very pleased with Tesla Effect. I had originally planned to only play about 2 hours a day, but the compelling story had me hooked and I blew WAY past that self-imposed limit. The video sequences look amazing and the interface updates are a welcome change from the original games in the '90's. The multiple endings and conversation choices will have me replayingTex Murphy is back and I'm very pleased with Tesla Effect. I had originally planned to only play about 2 hours a day, but the compelling story had me hooked and I blew WAY past that self-imposed limit. The video sequences look amazing and the interface updates are a welcome change from the original games in the '90's. The multiple endings and conversation choices will have me replaying this game several times.

As big a fan as I am of Tex Murphy, I have to admit that Tesla Effect isn't perfect. But then, no game is perfect. Every once in a while there is a video sequence that you can tell was filmed in front of a green screen. That being said, I think it is more noticeable because of how rarely it happens. I've read some grumbling about the lower resolution graphics used in the 3D environments, but I didn't even notice that until I read a review that mentioned it. I certainly had no problem identifying and interacting with objects.

I had absolutely no technical problems with the game. I've seen a few forum posts here and there mentioning problems, but my impression is that it's not a widespread issue. (Again, that's my impression and is coming from someone who had no need to go looking for answers.) At roughly 13.6 Gig, it took a long time to download but that's because I live out in the sticks and the fastest internet I can get is a T1 line. Considering the amount of high resolution video, I don't think 13.6 Gig is unreasonable.

I'm giving Tesla Effect the max score of 10. I'm certainly biased in favor of the game since I played all of the previous games "back in the day." I thought the game did a great job of returning Tex Murphy to the gaming world. All the things I loved about the earlier games were there and I got to find out how the 16 year old cliffhanger ending of Overseer was resolved. I had no technical problems and where there were imperfections, they didn't cause any problems getting through the game. Besides, if we saved 10 scores for "perfect" games, no game would ever get a 10.
  13. May 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Feels like you right back in the tex murphy universe. While the graphics are a bit dated, the story more than makes up for it. Two thumbs up.
  14. May 9, 2014
    Tesla Effect is the most enjoyable game since Grim Fandango. It requires thinking, not finger twitching. It actually has a plot, a real plot, not an excuse for a plot. And it is replete with characters to interact with.
    But if you prefer games that virtually play themselves, as some reviewers who knock this game as being old fashioned do, look elsewhere ... or watch TV. This is exactly like the old Tex Murphy adventure games, Under A Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, and Overseer, except that all of the production values are much much higher, and the video cut scenes are in HD.
  15. May 8, 2014
    This has fulfilled my need for a new Tex Murphy game and more. As a big fan admittedly of the series ever since I spotted Under A Killing Moon on a store shelf, I went into this knowing it had a venerable history to live up to.

The interface is nicely refined, there are more graphics options than you'd think an adventure game should have, exploring is easy as Arrow keys (I'm mostly an FPS gamer but have used them since Doom) double up for the usual WASD controls, there's an FOV slider (more than Call of Duty tends to ship with these days) and more. Also the videos retain the humor of the series,all while being in 2K resolution and seamless in transition (at least on my PC).

Heartily recommend to any adventurer.
  16. May 8, 2014
    This game is EXACTLY what I hoped for from the return of Tex Murphy! I spent many nights as a teenager playing through Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive. The Tesla Effect lives up to those titles and is old school Tex with updated graphics and video. This game is fantastic!
  17. May 10, 2014
    A deep, finely-crafted addition to one of the most critically-acclaimed adventure series of all time. There's a complex branching storyline with three main paths and five endings, and all of the rich exploration and NPC interaction these games have always featured. While the 3D game-world may be a few years behind (understandable for an indie/Unity outing with one primary artist in a gameA deep, finely-crafted addition to one of the most critically-acclaimed adventure series of all time. There's a complex branching storyline with three main paths and five endings, and all of the rich exploration and NPC interaction these games have always featured. While the 3D game-world may be a few years behind (understandable for an indie/Unity outing with one primary artist in a game this huge), the FMV sequences themselves are shot in true HD and no game has ever seen video this polished and beautiful. I've seen some reviewers who've been confused by a couple short in-game flashback videos from the prior games (1994!), but the several hours of actual HD video are incredible. If you value a deeply implemented, lovingly crafted story with an intricate plot, hours of exploration, and a sly wit, you'll love Tesla Effect. Expand
  18. May 10, 2014
    This is a great game if you are looking for something different, of course some people don't understand that this is a kickstarter game with a low budget so, people that complain about the acting, first thing you need to understand is that this is the way Tex Murphy games are, second thing is that they can't hire professional actors because of the budget, so if you are not a fan, i suggestThis is a great game if you are looking for something different, of course some people don't understand that this is a kickstarter game with a low budget so, people that complain about the acting, first thing you need to understand is that this is the way Tex Murphy games are, second thing is that they can't hire professional actors because of the budget, so if you are not a fan, i suggest you get into the previous series or at least watch the gameplay or play the demo before you buy this so you will be sure if this game is for you. Graphics are good enough comparing to the previous series, this is a game made for fans of the Tex Murphy series, but also it was made with the purpose of being a different game to any kind of genres as Shooters, RTS, Adventures as The Wolf Among Us and others. Exploring, Puzzles, Having different paths and different endings, Humour and the most important thing, it will show you one of the best characters ever in adventure games! now, if you just want more Shooters, Rts, Rpgs, or Adventures like The Walking Dead, so probably this game is not for you. Expand
  19. May 11, 2014
    As an intermittent gamer I was surprised to find Tesla Effect to be particularly absorbing, so much so that I know it is going to take me the rest of the week to play it and explore all the paths. I could watch one of the fellas on Twitch play but that would spoil the fun. I never played any of the early games so am enjoying discovering this cray Tex character for the first time although IAs an intermittent gamer I was surprised to find Tesla Effect to be particularly absorbing, so much so that I know it is going to take me the rest of the week to play it and explore all the paths. I could watch one of the fellas on Twitch play but that would spoil the fun. I never played any of the early games so am enjoying discovering this cray Tex character for the first time although I suspect Mr. Holmes would make mincemeat out of him. Long may Tex last and I can't wait to see what happens next and who will live and will die, and what is that cursed egg all bout anyway? Expand
  20. May 9, 2014
    All right , just finished the game. And well .... that's all I wanted . I had fear before playing, fear to be disappointed ... But you did it. you kept your promise. A lot of kickstarter project was a real deception. But not this one. Everything from a TEX GAME is here. Music, scenario, humour, acting, ambiance .... And everybody knows how it's difficult to satisfy FANS and to rebootAll right , just finished the game. And well .... that's all I wanted . I had fear before playing, fear to be disappointed ... But you did it. you kept your promise. A lot of kickstarter project was a real deception. But not this one. Everything from a TEX GAME is here. Music, scenario, humour, acting, ambiance .... And everybody knows how it's difficult to satisfy FANS and to reboot feelings from old franchise (even George lucas didn't succeed lol) You succeed to recreate the feeling we all had when playing tex murphy. So for that, just thank you. I didn't believe it myself but what a job whit this budget. Can't wait for the next and be sure of my support for that :) Great job. Expand
  21. May 8, 2014
    This is the funniest game I've played since Portal 2. Tesla Effect is excellent, a return-to-form for FMV games, and a glorious adventure filled with twists, turns, and surprises.
  22. May 8, 2014
    This is one the most entertaining adventure game I've played in a loooooong time. Let's say since The Longest Journey. It's FUN! Full of original ideas, great plot, funny characters and clever old style puzzle (where "old style" means that recall of a period when there was a "style" in adventure gaming).
    I can't recommend this one strong enough.
  23. May 11, 2014
    Tesla Effect has all the elements that will please new fans to the genre and fulfill the appetite of the old. I am so pleased how this game turned out and while it took 16 years to come to fruition...I could not be happier. The graphics are current, the story telling is stellar, the high def 2K full motion video is beyond unreal! I'll be playing Tesla Effect for years to come...I reallyTesla Effect has all the elements that will please new fans to the genre and fulfill the appetite of the old. I am so pleased how this game turned out and while it took 16 years to come to fruition...I could not be happier. The graphics are current, the story telling is stellar, the high def 2K full motion video is beyond unreal! I'll be playing Tesla Effect for years to come...I really hope we get another installment, I would LOVE to see what the crew over at BFG (Big Finish Games) would take the character(s) and how they would continue the story. Amazing work guys...long live the Mutant League!
    - Menacexp
  24. Aug 7, 2014
    It was just a thrill to play another Tex Murphy game. It might not be all that modern but I just see it as a true sequel to all the older games in the series. This is classic point-and-click adventure gaming at its best. Here's hoping they decide to make another one!
  25. May 28, 2014
    Tesla Effect is a game where you play a detective who walks around looking for clues. It does this extremely, extremely well. It seems like most of the negative reviews for this game seem to focus around the complaints "I don't want to be a detective" or "I don't like looking for clues". It's hard to take those criticisms with much sympathy. I see the game criticized for having poorTesla Effect is a game where you play a detective who walks around looking for clues. It does this extremely, extremely well. It seems like most of the negative reviews for this game seem to focus around the complaints "I don't want to be a detective" or "I don't like looking for clues". It's hard to take those criticisms with much sympathy. I see the game criticized for having poor graphics, but this also doesn't make much sense to me. Games with beautiful environments that try to make their blocky puppet looking human characters emote often come across looking laughable or downright unsettling (Mass Effect). And yet this game uses fantastic looking video to portray real emotions and had less stellar environments and people say it looks poor. I'd much rather have the latter than the former. In any event, if you like Detective games and adventure games, this game will be adored by you. If you are looking for it to make you like a genre you hate, well... keep looking. Expand
  26. Aug 7, 2014
    Thank you for making this game! I had such a great time playing Tesla Effect. The puzzles are great: finally I get to take up my notebook and make notes to solve riddles. Games today are to easy. This game makes you think, and ponder on what to do next. With this game you get a different experience. Graphics and acting are the way Tex Murphy fans want it. Couldn't ask for more!
  27. May 10, 2014
    An interesting story full of twists and lots of humor. Having only briefly played UAKM and Pandora Directive, never having finished them, I did not feel left out, in fact just having a vague knowledge of the characters and games was enough for me to get most of the references. A great jumping on point and a great send off to the character of Tex Murphy.
  28. May 10, 2014
    A great rehash of a long lost genre. Adventure FMV games were very popular when the CD-ROM(!) came out 20 years ago. A great deal of those games contributed greatly to killing the genre (Phantasmagoria 2 anyone?) but it had it's merits and gems (the Tex Murphy series being a clear standout). Does it deserve a second life? Let me say this in a non-fan way: if a Warcraft or a Grim FandangoA great rehash of a long lost genre. Adventure FMV games were very popular when the CD-ROM(!) came out 20 years ago. A great deal of those games contributed greatly to killing the genre (Phantasmagoria 2 anyone?) but it had it's merits and gems (the Tex Murphy series being a clear standout). Does it deserve a second life? Let me say this in a non-fan way: if a Warcraft or a Grim Fandango sequel were to come out, nobody would deny the potential and fun they would provide. The same applies here.

It's now 2014, 20 years later, Tex Murphy is back and feels fresh in a sea of shooters and mostly shoddy game writing. Yes, the graphics are a little below modern standards (but feel so much better than visiting the old versions of Chandler Ave.) The actors have aged (better than most) and the medium was dead. But it's a thrilling ride with great narrative, funny dialogue and (finally!) challenging quests and puzzles.

To think the 3d envirronements were made by a team of 3 people! It is a great accomplishment in a age were Destiny costs 500 millions and probably won't bring as much joy to players.

It is proof games can still be creative, fun and intelligent.

In an era were games are judged by numbers and sales, it is a great relief to see a game that arcanes back to when they were made for gamers and not for profit.

A lesson to where the industry should have been headed instead of what we have now.

For 20$, it's a must-buy and an experience worth reliving. Buy it, Big Finish Games and Atlus deserve your time and attention.
  29. Mar 21, 2015
    Right from the first Blade Runner style flight through a futuristic city with epic music playing in the background and then Tex appears in his speeder, looking totally cheesy on an amateurish green screen, you know the Tex is back! This combo of seriousness, noir atmosphere and detective story with absolute cheese factor and humour is what makes it great. There has been lot of bad thingsRight from the first Blade Runner style flight through a futuristic city with epic music playing in the background and then Tex appears in his speeder, looking totally cheesy on an amateurish green screen, you know the Tex is back! This combo of seriousness, noir atmosphere and detective story with absolute cheese factor and humour is what makes it great. There has been lot of bad things written about the technical side of things, but it's actually pretty good, locations such as the beach house are quite beautiful, interface is clean and functional and my playthrough has been 100% bug free, which is a rarity nowadays, especially for Unity engine games. I really liked the story, music is amazing, acting is cool and some of the flashback sequences from older games such as Under a Killing Moon were a nice nostalgia trip. My only problem was with the dialog system, where the answers selection is written in some kind of metaphor system which can be hard to decipher for a non-native english speaker, never knowing what you're actually answering and some of the puzzles were a bit annoying, but other than that Tesla Effect is a great game and it's been a pleasure to see Tex in good form after all those years. 9/10 Expand
  30. Jun 14, 2015
    I had a blast playing through this game. It feels a lot like watching a movie and playing a video game at the same time. I don't think I felt I had to "follow the script" and really enjoyed the story all the way through. The graphics were fantastic and the puzzles, while some are recycled classics, were all fun to run through.
  31. Feb 24, 2015
    I should mention that I had never heard of ‘Tex Murphy’ growing up in the 90’s. I guess the series was pretty popular though if they were able to get a Kickstarter to bring it back. Remember games that had cut scenes with actual people in them, almost like movies? Yeah, I had forgotten about them too. Having said all of that however, I still thoroughly enjoyed this game and wouldI should mention that I had never heard of ‘Tex Murphy’ growing up in the 90’s. I guess the series was pretty popular though if they were able to get a Kickstarter to bring it back. Remember games that had cut scenes with actual people in them, almost like movies? Yeah, I had forgotten about them too. Having said all of that however, I still thoroughly enjoyed this game and would definitely recommend it to anyone who grew up in the 90’s playing FMV games. If you can get it for a low, low, oh-so-low price that is; I really can’t justify paying $20 for this game. Having said that, I really have no idea why I enjoyed this game. As I have already stated I had never heard of these games before a few weeks ago, so there really isn't any nostalgia there.

The graphics are dated, the puzzles are tired and old, the atmosphere is dull and extremely basic, the story isn’t anything special, and the controls could be better. I mean sure, it's supposed to feel like those early 90’s PC games with live action, but this game is really pushing it with these graphics that look like they came straight out of 2006. But whatever, story and graphics aren’t everything that makes a game great. I mean who plays games for their stories? This game is also pretty damn hard, even on the ‘casual’ mode. So be prepared to ask for some guidance along the way by seeking the in-game itinerary for where to go and what to do. I mean, unless you don’t mind wandering around for hours, aimlessly looking for objects that are sometimes pretty hard to see. See? Even as I’m writing this I’m still questioning why the hell I loved this game so much.

And I truly did love this game. The acting definitely helps with that too, as I found myself getting more and more engrossed in the cut-scenes, watching this story I started out not caring about, unfold before my very eyes. Todd Bridges, some guy from some show, even makes an appearance. So in closing…this game is extremely dated with graphics from a decade ago, needs some fiddling to work with a controller, has ridiculous HD cut-scenes with sometimes stupid characters, has some stupid puzzles, and is a blast from start to finish. Go get em’ Tex…that’s not a line from the game but I think it fits quite nicely.

1. Sep 25, 2014
    For all its quaint charms, Tesla Effect is held back by all of the flaws that killed its genre in the first place.
  2. Tex Murphy returns after 14 years to solve what happened to Chelsee, but first he must regain his loss of seven years memory. Meet old friends and of course the best P.I. in the universe: Tex Murphy.
  3. Jul 25, 2014
    It’s a museum piece and a reminder why we used to love old point’n’click games (and hate some of them). If you’re not a diehard fan of such style, this is definitely not a game for you. [07/2014, p.61]