8.6

1. May 8, 2014
    I see dated and retro being used as a negative in a lot of reviews and let me just say these are totally positives. Todays games are filled with cut scene skippers and hand holding and linear story or gameplay. I grew up on these games Tex murphy, Black Dahlia, Spycraft, Blade Runner, etc, etc, these are an art form that was lost due to cost cutting measures and over reliance on cgi. sure its great when a game shows perfect synch with cg characters environments and voice actors but guess what, real actors already have realistic movements and facial features. Remember L.A. Noire I loved that game but it might as well have been a FMV game for all the special detail the new 360 camera process they used gave it. In short welcome back Tex we missed you pull up a chair and tell us many, many more stories. Expand
  2. May 8, 2014
    This has fulfilled my need for a new Tex Murphy game and more. As a big fan admittedly of the series ever since I spotted Under A Killing Moon on a store shelf, I went into this knowing it had a venerable history to live up to.

The interface is nicely refined, there are more graphics options than you'd think an adventure game should have, exploring is easy as Arrow keys (I'm mostly an
    FPS gamer but have used them since Doom) double up for the usual WASD controls, there's an FOV slider (more than Call of Duty tends to ship with these days) and more. Also the videos retain the humor of the series,all while being in 2K resolution and seamless in transition (at least on my PC).

Heartily recommend to any adventurer.
  3. May 8, 2014
    This game is EXACTLY what I hoped for from the return of Tex Murphy! I spent many nights as a teenager playing through Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive. The Tesla Effect lives up to those titles and is old school Tex with updated graphics and video. This game is fantastic!
  4. May 9, 2014
    It would have been easy for the creators of Tesla Effect to simply have given us what we wanted: another Tex Murphy game in the mold of UAKM, PD, and Overseer. In fact, they could have simply reused those engines, and most fans would have been happy. Instead, they dramatically reinvented the series to near perfection. The 3D world exploration is better than ever. And except for a definite decrease in the amount of clickable objects (one of my favorite aspects from previous games in the series), it shines. The acting is as good as its ever been, and the story is touching. The best feature of the game, though, is its least mentioned--the subtle funneling of Tex along specific story pathways. And, aside from a few hiccups where the story branches merge back together, its done wonderfully. A few of the puzzles fail to impress (some are insultingly easy while others almost appear to be missing a hint document), but as a whole, this Tex Murphy fan is impressed and satisfied and hoping for a return to Chandler Avenue soon! Expand
  5. May 8, 2014
    This is the funniest game I've played since Portal 2. Tesla Effect is excellent, a return-to-form for FMV games, and a glorious adventure filled with twists, turns, and surprises.
  6. May 9, 2014
    Tesla Effect is the most enjoyable game since Grim Fandango. It requires thinking, not finger twitching. It actually has a plot, a real plot, not an excuse for a plot. And it is replete with characters to interact with.
    But if you prefer games that virtually play themselves, as some reviewers who knock this game as being old fashioned do, look elsewhere ... or watch TV. This is exactly
    like the old Tex Murphy adventure games, Under A Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, and Overseer, except that all of the production values are much much higher, and the video cut scenes are in HD. Expand
  7. May 9, 2014
    All right , just finished the game. And well .... that's all I wanted . I had fear before playing, fear to be disappointed ... But you did it. you kept your promise. A lot of kickstarter project was a real deception. But not this one. Everything from a TEX GAME is here. Music, scenario, humour, acting, ambiance .... And everybody knows how it's difficult to satisfy FANS and to reboot feelings from old franchise (even George lucas didn't succeed lol) You succeed to recreate the feeling we all had when playing tex murphy. So for that, just thank you. I didn't believe it myself but what a job whit this budget. Can't wait for the next and be sure of my support for that :) Great job. Expand
  8. May 8, 2014
    This is one the most entertaining adventure game I've played in a loooooong time. Let's say since The Longest Journey. It's FUN! Full of original ideas, great plot, funny characters and clever old style puzzle (where "old style" means that recall of a period when there was a "style" in adventure gaming).
    I can't recommend this one strong enough.
  9. May 10, 2014
    A great rehash of a long lost genre. Adventure FMV games were very popular when the CD-ROM(!) came out 20 years ago. A great deal of those games contributed greatly to killing the genre (Phantasmagoria 2 anyone?) but it had it's merits and gems (the Tex Murphy series being a clear standout). Does it deserve a second life? Let me say this in a non-fan way: if a Warcraft or a Grim Fandango sequel were to come out, nobody would deny the potential and fun they would provide. The same applies here.

It's now 2014, 20 years later, Tex Murphy is back and feels fresh in a sea of shooters and mostly shoddy game writing. Yes, the graphics are a little below modern standards (but feel so much better than visiting the old versions of Chandler Ave.) The actors have aged (better than most) and the medium was dead. But it's a thrilling ride with great narrative, funny dialogue and (finally!) challenging quests and puzzles.

To think the 3d envirronements were made by a team of 3 people! It is a great accomplishment in a age were Destiny costs 500 millions and probably won't bring as much joy to players.

It is proof games can still be creative, fun and intelligent.

In an era were games are judged by numbers and sales, it is a great relief to see a game that arcanes back to when they were made for gamers and not for profit.

A lesson to where the industry should have been headed instead of what we have now.

For 20$, it's a must-buy and an experience worth reliving. Buy it, Big Finish Games and Atlus deserve your time and attention.
  10. May 10, 2014
    An interesting story full of twists and lots of humor. Having only briefly played UAKM and Pandora Directive, never having finished them, I did not feel left out, in fact just having a vague knowledge of the characters and games was enough for me to get most of the references. A great jumping on point and a great send off to the character of Tex Murphy.
  11. May 11, 2014
    Just finished this and it was awesome. As a fan of the old games this is exactly what I hoped for. Although the ingame graphics aren't really up to date the game is crafted with a lot of care and love.

If you consider the small budget and Team this is an enormous achievement. I can highly recommend this to everyone.
  12. May 10, 2014
    A deep, finely-crafted addition to one of the most critically-acclaimed adventure series of all time. There's a complex branching storyline with three main paths and five endings, and all of the rich exploration and NPC interaction these games have always featured. While the 3D game-world may be a few years behind (understandable for an indie/Unity outing with one primary artist in a game this huge), the FMV sequences themselves are shot in true HD and no game has ever seen video this polished and beautiful. I've seen some reviewers who've been confused by a couple short in-game flashback videos from the prior games (1994!), but the several hours of actual HD video are incredible. If you value a deeply implemented, lovingly crafted story with an intricate plot, hours of exploration, and a sly wit, you'll love Tesla Effect. Expand
  13. May 10, 2014
    This is a great game if you are looking for something different, of course some people don't understand that this is a kickstarter game with a low budget so, people that complain about the acting, first thing you need to understand is that this is the way Tex Murphy games are, second thing is that they can't hire professional actors because of the budget, so if you are not a fan, i suggest you get into the previous series or at least watch the gameplay or play the demo before you buy this so you will be sure if this game is for you. Graphics are good enough comparing to the previous series, this is a game made for fans of the Tex Murphy series, but also it was made with the purpose of being a different game to any kind of genres as Shooters, RTS, Adventures as The Wolf Among Us and others. Exploring, Puzzles, Having different paths and different endings, Humour and the most important thing, it will show you one of the best characters ever in adventure games! now, if you just want more Shooters, Rts, Rpgs, or Adventures like The Walking Dead, so probably this game is not for you. Expand
  14. May 11, 2014
    Tex Murphy is back and I'm very pleased with Tesla Effect. I had originally planned to only play about 2 hours a day, but the compelling story had me hooked and I blew WAY past that self-imposed limit. The video sequences look amazing and the interface updates are a welcome change from the original games in the '90's. The multiple endings and conversation choices will have me replaying this game several times.

As big a fan as I am of Tex Murphy, I have to admit that Tesla Effect isn't perfect. But then, no game is perfect. Every once in a while there is a video sequence that you can tell was filmed in front of a green screen. That being said, I think it is more noticeable because of how rarely it happens. I've read some grumbling about the lower resolution graphics used in the 3D environments, but I didn't even notice that until I read a review that mentioned it. I certainly had no problem identifying and interacting with objects.

I had absolutely no technical problems with the game. I've seen a few forum posts here and there mentioning problems, but my impression is that it's not a widespread issue. (Again, that's my impression and is coming from someone who had no need to go looking for answers.) At roughly 13.6 Gig, it took a long time to download but that's because I live out in the sticks and the fastest internet I can get is a T1 line. Considering the amount of high resolution video, I don't think 13.6 Gig is unreasonable.

I'm giving Tesla Effect the max score of 10. I'm certainly biased in favor of the game since I played all of the previous games "back in the day." I thought the game did a great job of returning Tex Murphy to the gaming world. All the things I loved about the earlier games were there and I got to find out how the 16 year old cliffhanger ending of Overseer was resolved. I had no technical problems and where there were imperfections, they didn't cause any problems getting through the game. Besides, if we saved 10 scores for "perfect" games, no game would ever get a 10.
  15. May 11, 2014
    As an intermittent gamer I was surprised to find Tesla Effect to be particularly absorbing, so much so that I know it is going to take me the rest of the week to play it and explore all the paths. I could watch one of the fellas on Twitch play but that would spoil the fun. I never played any of the early games so am enjoying discovering this cray Tex character for the first time although I suspect Mr. Holmes would make mincemeat out of him. Long may Tex last and I can't wait to see what happens next and who will live and will die, and what is that cursed egg all bout anyway? Expand
  16. May 11, 2014
    Tex is back and with a vengeance!! The game is totally enjoyable and a wonderful addition to the Tex Murphy family of games. You don't just have to be a Tex fan to enjoy it. The FMV and editing are outstanding and it is a breath of fresh air to have a game again that demands the brain cells to really be engaged. Adventure games are indeed making a well deserved and necessary comeback and Tesla Effect rides high on the crest of that very wave. Well done Big Finish Games. Expand
  17. May 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Feels like you right back in the tex murphy universe. While the graphics are a bit dated, the story more than makes up for it. Two thumbs up.
  18. May 11, 2014
    Welcome back Tex!
    Great game! Nothing to say!! Feels like the old way game was made, but with beautiful graphics and sound!
    I really hope FMV genre will be back into video game's business.
  19. May 11, 2014
    Tesla Effect has all the elements that will please new fans to the genre and fulfill the appetite of the old. I am so pleased how this game turned out and while it took 16 years to come to fruition...I could not be happier. The graphics are current, the story telling is stellar, the high def 2K full motion video is beyond unreal! I'll be playing Tesla Effect for years to come...I really hope we get another installment, I would LOVE to see what the crew over at BFG (Big Finish Games) would take the character(s) and how they would continue the story. Amazing work guys...long live the Mutant League!
    - Menacexp
  20. May 19, 2014
    I just finished playing the game and I must say I'm very satisfied with it. All the complains about FMV, crappy graphics etc. have little sense. This is an "old school" adventure game, nothing more and nothing less than what the Tex fans waited for years. Most of the backers were, in fact, old supporters and, for a work made by a dozen people with a litlle more than 600,000 dollars, I think is a good game. most important of all, it finally solves a cliffhanger that has given sleep issues on many people for days. My compliments to Jones, Carr and Conners: it would be interesting to see a feature film with Jones as Tex but, seeing what Hollywood makes up from videogames, maybe it's better not. Anyway, very good game, to be played last after Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive and Overseer. Expand
  21. Jun 9, 2014
    Please do not wait another 16 years to release a Tex Murphy adventure. This is exactly what adventure gaming should be about. Love everything about the game.
  22. Jun 1, 2014
    I have never enjoyed a PC adventure game more than Tex Murphy's Tesla Effect, and I've been playing PC games since 1986. The most remarkable thing about this newest Tex Murphy adventure is how well, after nearly 16 years, the characters have aged. Those who reprised their roles were wonderful, and Tex Murphy himself (Chris Jones) didn't miss a beat with his funny comments and charming dialog. I often laughed out loud while playing.

The very best part of this newest Tex Murphy is how wonderfully updated the mechanics of the game were. No more clunky movements of the past, especially when trying to elevate to look into drawers and such. The choice of Casual and Gamer was genius. I chose casual, and the in-game hints were fantastic. The complete differences in the endings was also remarkable. I played the game 7 times, and got every ending including finding all of the comic books to access Tex's storage room.

A user score of 8.5 is unfathomable to me - if this game doesn't rate a 10, then I can't think of another that does. I've played all of the "classics" through the years, including all of the King's Quest, Police Quest, Gabriel Knight, and Tex Murphy games. Far and away, this game had everything single thing that I love about adventure games.

The number one thing I found so wonderful about Tesla Effect is that I could, finally, on the casual level, choose to skip puzzles that I simply did not want to spend frustrating hours to complete and be stuck not being able to advance in the game. That one feature alone makes this game a 10.

The beautiful locations; the funny and intelligent dialog, the wonderful puzzles and use of inventory items, and the fantastic characters made this the most outstanding adventure game I have ever played.
    Also, being able to download from Steam, play for days, then uninstall so that the huge game doesn't clog my hard drive is nothing short of genius.

Giving this game a 10 doesn't even do it justice.
  23. May 28, 2014
    Tesla Effect is a game where you play a detective who walks around looking for clues. It does this extremely, extremely well. It seems like most of the negative reviews for this game seem to focus around the complaints "I don't want to be a detective" or "I don't like looking for clues". It's hard to take those criticisms with much sympathy. I see the game criticized for having poor graphics, but this also doesn't make much sense to me. Games with beautiful environments that try to make their blocky puppet looking human characters emote often come across looking laughable or downright unsettling (Mass Effect). And yet this game uses fantastic looking video to portray real emotions and had less stellar environments and people say it looks poor. I'd much rather have the latter than the former. In any event, if you like Detective games and adventure games, this game will be adored by you. If you are looking for it to make you like a genre you hate, well... keep looking. Expand
  24. May 27, 2014
    First thing is first, this game is definitely for those who can appreciate the original style, and doubly so for those who played the series previously. With that being said, they did a fantastic job at maintaining the old style that the fans had loved all while adding a nice modern touch. Yes, it's campy humor, yes the backgrounds are kind of static, but that's actually the point. The game isn't trying to be some spotlights "look at me!" game, the game is trying to be a quality fun adventure game that is a throwback to times and a game style long lost. Does it succeed? Absolutely!

If you have not tried the series, it's still worth a purchase. It is fun, and some of the designs are not seen in modern gaming, such as FMV video WITH dialog options. It's also worth purchasing just to help support a developer that has the guts to try to bring back an old classic while staying true to its roots. Most modern developers ignore the roots when making sequels. If you have a passion for the gaming industry, give this a purchase! You'll be doing the industry a favor by showing others that the expected "norms" of modern gaming can be so much more than bread and butter shoot'em ups.
  25. Aug 7, 2014
    It was just a thrill to play another Tex Murphy game. It might not be all that modern but I just see it as a true sequel to all the older games in the series. This is classic point-and-click adventure gaming at its best. Here's hoping they decide to make another one!
  26. Aug 7, 2014
    Thank you for making this game! I had such a great time playing Tesla Effect. The puzzles are great: finally I get to take up my notebook and make notes to solve riddles. Games today are to easy. This game makes you think, and ponder on what to do next. With this game you get a different experience. Graphics and acting are the way Tex Murphy fans want it. Couldn't ask for more!

1. Tex Murphy returns after 14 years to solve what happened to Chelsee, but first he must regain his loss of seven years memory. Meet old friends and of course the best P.I. in the universe: Tex Murphy.
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    It’s a museum piece and a reminder why we used to love old point’n’click games (and hate some of them). If you’re not a diehard fan of such style, this is definitely not a game for you. [07/2014, p.61]
  3. Jul 9, 2014
    Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure should have been called Tex Murphy: The Nineties Were Awesome, because there is no way to tell such a trashy story with a straight face.