8.1

1. Jul 30, 2014
    A lovingly constructed animated world. The exposition of narrative throughout the game via puppet shows does a good job of dispensing plot. However this game suffers from several faults that could be easily addressed. Boss fights need some fine tuning. Checkpoints are designed in such a way that you usually have to redo a significantly long easy portion to get back to the difficult part that defeated you previously, this doesn't make for fun gameplay. At times I felt the visual cues of what was dangerous didn't line up with the actual areas that would harm you. Difficulty did not follow a smooth curve. My biggest disappointment by far was the lack of an ending (both endings in my opinion are worthless) after being shown that the designer DID know how to tell a story (via the earlier puppet shows). Good foundation, needs significant refinement. Expand
  2. Apr 28, 2014
    i didn't play it till the end but i am close, so far it's a perfect one it's puzzles are awesome lots of fun little hard, it has some great ideas, it has no talking but it has a story it's not just an arcade game, you will love it if you like puzzles games .
    the bad thing is that some times i just get sick from a hard puzzle and just close the game, because you will play the puzzle over
    and over again until you pass it, has no score you die with one hit and has unlimited lives i mean if you don't the game would suck from its hardness . Expand
  3. Feb 15, 2014
    This game has an amazing art style and music. At times it even feels like a classic Disney animated movie ( a la Sorcerer's Apprentice). The puzzles are quit intuitive and challenging. The only problem with this game is the balance between challenge and controls. The game controls like any casual platformer, and it's very smooth. However, the boss battles and the late-game puzzles require far more precision than the game is able to give. There seems to be a physics engine, but there's nothing insuring that you can the get the same results for the same action a second time. For example, go onto a red cube and then activate your red cloak. You can fly directly horizontal the first time then directly vertical the second time while doing the exact same thing. The only other problem I had with it is the lack of checkpoints to compensate for the above issue. Other than that, pretty amazing game. Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    A 2d platformer where you play with magnetism (a great mechanic that makes for very interesting, and mindbendy, gameplay) to solve puzzles is really cool. Doing it while telling a story with no dialogue in a fantastically crafted world is astounding.

Great storytelling, original gameplay mechanics, beautiful atmosphere.
  5. Jan 19, 2014
    Teslagrad is a 2D platforming puzzle themed game that uses the power of magnets and electricity to solve the puzzles that the Tesla Tower is filled with.
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    The graphics are amazing, and the controls are pretty tight, but poor level design prevents this from being a great game. Far too often, small mistakes force you to repeat long, boring stretches of platforming, making for a tedious experience. The boss fights are also fairly uninspired, and since you die in one hit, you'll be playing them over and over again. I don't mind difficult platforming (I've put far too many hours into Super Meat Boy), but this game just feels like a chore. I tried to force myself to keep playing, just to see the beautiful environments, but I soon gave up. Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2014
    I like the graphics and the general concept, also the background music and most of the puzzles.

What I don't like is the general flow of how it challenges you. Most stuff is pretty easy and not challenging at all, and then you run into something which requires precise timing and quick fingers (try the demo and go down to the metal monster).

Also I find the controls (although they
    are rebindable) are counter intiuitive. WASD for movement, so far so good, but then left/right arrow for red/blue charge my brain permanently got confused about using the arrow keys for something that does not have anything to do with direction. Expand
  8. Dec 30, 2013
    Did not even play this game... how to remove critic oh never mind i will buy it soon and review it.......................................................
  9. Dec 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Teslagrad by the norwegian develper Rain Games can be described in one Word. Brutal difficulty.
    Teslagrad has a beautiful handdrawn art style With atmospheric Music and challenging Puzzles. There is a Catch With it though. It is hard to know where Your Next Puzzle or boss battle is, but still this is one hell of a game. If you want a hard and unique platformer With Puzzles ,you will absolutely love this game just as much as I did.The story is about that you are the son of Nikola Tesla, when you're city is attacked by an army you're mother says to you that you need to find Your after he dissapeared into the massive Tower in the city. Inside the Tower you get awesome gadgets like the magnet glove and boots that gives you a little dash and some theaters which tells you why the army is attacking Your city.
  10. Dec 18, 2013
    I think of this as a mix between Metroid and Little Nemo with a really fun art style. Previous review mentioned electricity and magnetism. I find that the mechanics in this just represent interaction between electrically charged objects and there isn't much magnetism. Magnetism doesn't come into play until there is charge motion, and the objects don't act like permanent magnets either, only charged objects. But this was a really fun game either way. I will definitely be recommending it to people i know. Story telling is really well done also, silent but effective. Expand
  11. Dec 17, 2013
    This is a platforming game where the main puzzle mechanic revolves around maniplulating electicity and magnetic charges an works really well.

The gameplay is a bit to hard and frustrating for my taste, but the stunning visuals and "mood" of the game more than makes up for it.
  12. Dec 20, 2013

1. Mar 28, 2014
    Despite pacing issues, Teslagrad's strange blend of science and fantasy prove that opposites do indeed attract. [Apr 2014, p.58]
    Beautifully drawn, beautifully animated, yet frustrating puzzle platformer, capable of enchanting you in one minute and pissing you off in another. [Issue#238]
  3. Jan 20, 2014
    Despite its unevenness and occasional cruelty, Teslagrad is a bold and captivating proposition. The unusual and elegant aesthetic is persistently attractive, and the lightness of touch with the storytelling brings the world-building to the fore.