The Bard's Tale PC

7.7

1. Jun 6, 2012
    I love this new spin on Bard's Tale, I played all of the old PC games from the 80s and they always had some humor involved but this one topped them all. It was very enjoyable and the endings are cool and funny. This is a nice break from the cliche. It is good for one good play through, just make sure to save it towards the end so you can reload and see both endings.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    A decent, even if kinda stiff gameplay. Excellent humor and situations like from Monty Pythons. A lot of battles (which eventually get old, since the fighting isn't all the exciting), below average graphics, solid length and three endings. Overall I do recommend this game mostly because of story, the game mechanics are flawed, but not that bad so you would just give up on the game.
  3. LarryM.
    Sep 13, 2005
    It was fun and if not for the bugs in the video/game play I would have given it a 10. I thoroughly enjoyed the satire and the overall trek.
  4. JackK.
    Jun 26, 2005
    This game was better than a lot of the late generic RPGs, and had more of a catch to it than alot of other late PC RPGs. So this game deserves atleast a "9" because it hit the PC. PC doesn't have too many great games drop on us.
  5. Mar 21, 2012
    This game is not a challenger to Diablo. You will not horde items and decide whether you would like the quicker sword with a less power, or the more powerful sword that's a bit slower. You won't have to make difficult decisions about whether to save a woman or save a town. The RPG mechanics are not innovative or thought-provoking. And the quest will not demand countless hours of yourThis game is not a challenger to Diablo. You will not horde items and decide whether you would like the quicker sword with a less power, or the more powerful sword that's a bit slower. You won't have to make difficult decisions about whether to save a woman or save a town. The RPG mechanics are not innovative or thought-provoking. And the quest will not demand countless hours of your life. You will, however, enjoy every step in your (admittedly short) journey. It's funny, it's quirky, and you'll never have to worry about anything except moving forward. Everything you pick up is something you automatically equip or something that turns instantly to gold (you should still take a look at what these things are, though, as ofttimes, it's hilarious). Even new weapons, when you find one, will be automatically equipped and your old sword will turn to gold. These are not admirable designs in a deep, multiplayer adventure. In this game, though, which you play alone, they are godsends. It's $5 right now on Steam, and worth every penny. It won't change your life, but it will leave you happy. Expand
  6. RobeerC.
    Jul 10, 2005
    I've just walked through this game, and it was a great fun. I can only say, it's a must play game. Good songs for everyone ;)
  7. HarryR.
    Aug 4, 2005
    Quite fun. Played the orignal games with my son when he was fairly young. This wouldn't be as much appreciated by a 10 year old. But the tongue in cheek version of an RPG is good fun. The character acting is great. The challenge isn't the insane RPG of a Dungeon Lords, where quests involve absolutely absurd soutions. (Wizardry was also an early favorite.) Rather this is a decent Quite fun. Played the orignal games with my son when he was fairly young. This wouldn't be as much appreciated by a 10 year old. But the tongue in cheek version of an RPG is good fun. The character acting is great. The challenge isn't the insane RPG of a Dungeon Lords, where quests involve absolutely absurd soutions. (Wizardry was also an early favorite.) Rather this is a decent RPG with a really good sense of humor. Even the treasure recovered is worth a chuckle or three or ten. Not it's not the old Bard's Tale. But if you want to relive that all of the three originals are included. What it is is the closest thing to a comic Role Playing Novel yet released on a PC disc. Expand
  8. G.Doane
    Jun 7, 2005
    If it's Bard's Tale it has to be good. I'm ready for the character to swing three times and miss!
  9. Jok`RdeMo
    Jun 20, 2005
    This game maybe brings nothing new, but it is SOOO FUN to play. Very, very good.
  10. Sep 30, 2012
    It is very underrated game, despite simple hack and slash style combat and very limited choices (it is not really possible to play this game many times) playing Bard's Tale is very rewarding experience. Excellent plot, excellent main character great dialogues and outstanding music. Despite all its shortcomings I find it the best action-adventure game I have ever played.
  11. Feb 10, 2013
    The fair mark for the game is 7.5. The game feel has something in common with "Fable". The main thing that makes it different from other RPGs is the fact that it is so ironic, sarcastic and humorous overall. It makes fun of fantasy/fairy tale genre clichés. The gameplay is battle oriented, most of the game you are fighting, so there are very few "social" sidequests. The battles are prettyThe fair mark for the game is 7.5. The game feel has something in common with "Fable". The main thing that makes it different from other RPGs is the fact that it is so ironic, sarcastic and humorous overall. It makes fun of fantasy/fairy tale genre clichés. The gameplay is battle oriented, most of the game you are fighting, so there are very few "social" sidequests. The battles are pretty difficult even on a normal difficulty level. You should choose your companions carefully to stand against different enemies. To be honest the endless repetitive battles and constantly respawning enemies become boring in the second half of the game. The only thing that diversifies the battles are the summoned companions. There are a lot of them and their tactics and skills are completely different. About the dialogues, there are two types of reactions to NPCs phrases: snarky or nice. It's not rather convenient for me because you can't predict what the Bard will say. I'd prefer the standard phrase choosing. The voice acting is great, especially the main character and the Narrator. And another thing I wanted to mention the inventory system. All the loot you get converts to money right away and when you get a better armor/weapon it gets equipped immediately and the previous one also converts into money. This system is just awesome for an Action RPG game! Overall, a very decent game for ever CRPG fan. Expand
  12. Oct 26, 2013
    Its hard to find a game that has an excellent story-telling presention, intelligent scenes and dialogues that gives you a good laugh here and then, enjoyable musicals with entataining dancing characters and so much more. For any RPG fan who gave this game a pass, its their great loss.
  13. Dec 8, 2016
    Az első játék volt. amit a szívembe zártam (és el sem eresztettem). Amikor először meghallottam, hogy egy humoros, ironikus RPG készült már egyből felkeltette az érdeklődésemet és a végigjátszás után a sok röhögőgörcs közepette azóta is könnyeket csal a szemembe.

1. PC Format
    A victim of its own sneers, this is the world's first self-parodying game. [July 2005, p.90]
  2. While The Bard's Tale is told amusingly enough, the disappointing combat fails to lift it from the upper end of mediocrity.
  3. The wit present in this game is second to none and I honestly think this is what would have happened had Mel Brooks gotten into game making.