8.3

1. Oct 31, 2011
    If you enjoy mashing your keyboard or find poop and blood to be a refreshing stylistic feature you may briefly enjoy this game. However, if that's not the case I suggest you pass this game by. The gameplay is mindnumbingly uninteresting. The style of this game while somewhat unique is rather lame. Controls are horrible, you basically just mash the keyboard. The use of a gamepad isn't support, the menu system itself points you towards using another peice of software to map your keyboard keys to a gamepad. Now that's just lazy programming. Don't let the high score fool you. People have a tendency to over compensate when rating inexpensive games. This game has only two things going for it in my opinion. First the introductory sequence is enjoyable, but only so much as anyother well done flash animation. Which makes sense since it is a flash animation. Second it is hard. Which is refreshing in this day and age of super easy hand holding games. However forcing you to reply the same boring game play over and over each time you die beings to quicly feal like torture. 0.99 would be a far better price as the content much more closly resembles a smartphone app priced at that level. Collapse
  2. Oct 3, 2011
    A poor marriage of Legend of Zelda, Nethack, and Smash TV that's sure to appeal to younger gamers with it's immature grotesque art style, "dark and edgy" plotline and atmosphere sure to offend mommy and daddy, and deceptive advertisement of randomly generated levels that all start to feel similar after about the third play through. The poor control design control makes it difficult to use power ups on the fly, none of which are detailed at all which leaves the player guessing in the middle of combat about what each ones does, this wouldn't be such an issue except that there is no continue feature which makes for frustrating gameplay.

The only real redeemable feature about the game is the soundtrack, otherwise this title should have simply been released directly to Newgrounds. If poop jokes, fecal filled dungeons, urine spewing bosses, fetus sidekicks, severed cat heads as well as dirty maxi pad powerups, item collecting and achievement hunting are your idea of the makings of a good game then you won't find better than this one, otherwise look elsewhere.
  3. Dec 29, 2011
    I gave this game an honest try for approximately two hours of uninterrupted gameplay, and I must say that I remain unimpressed. The exploration is reminiscent of old-school roguelike games (like ADOM or Nethack), and the combat is reminiscent of old-school Zelda games, only with shooting. The story is slightly interesting, but not anywhere detailed enough to call it a major aspect of the game. So what you get, in the end, is a mediocre shooter-game with some RPG elements. Unfortunately, as modern games evolved to become more gamer-friendly, this one didn't seem to get the message. It's extremely punishing and unforgiving of mistakes. You die, whatever the circumstances, and you start over from scratch. No continues, no extra lives, nothing. You don't even restart the same level; you restart the game. Add that to the fact that the game is completely and entirely random and you get some levels that are painfully easy and some that are painfully difficult, and it's a complete matter of luck as to whether or not you can finish the game. I didn't have the patience to keep trying because the game didn't lure me in. It's sad. I really wanted to like this game, but I cannot, in good conscience, recommend it to anyone. Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2011
    I loved Super Meat Boy but I hate this. The shooting is so generic. Super Meat Boy felt like a properly brilliant game despite essentially being a Flash game and I felt like it was worth my money. This feels so unoriginal in its gameplay that it doesn't deserve a price, it should just be an online free flash game. Not to mention the fact that it is just twisted and just weird.....I don't mind the violence but just....the weirdness.. Expand
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    As ColombiaGames said this game should be for a cell phone, the story makes no sense.

for me 0 because you need to pay to 10 dollars for this game.0
  6. Jan 2, 2012
    A few fun ideas but the lazy design ruins it. This should have been a free flash game because although it has a passing resemblance to Zelda, it's shallow and frustrating. There's barely any UI, no explanation for items (and some even kill you with no warning), no ability to save, and it is random to a fault. You have to keep playing it over and over to basically memorize how enemies fight and what items do. This could have been great if it was fleshed out into a proper game. I get wanting a "hardcore" game, but this is just sloppy. As it is now, the creator opted for lazy, pathetic design not worthy of the $1.25 I paid for it. Expand
  7. Jun 18, 2013
    WARNING: this game is luck-based, meaning you can beat it ONLY if you are extremely lucky, like the lottery. Most of the time (99%) the game is uber-difficult and almost unbeatable. There are only 5-6 levels to beat but at level 4, if you weren't lucky enough to get "good drops", the game gets insanely difficult and if you die you have to start over AGAIN, making this a total frustration to play.

I'm 8 hours in and I still can't pass level 4 and I haven't beat the game yet, and it's not because I suck at it, this game has little to do with skills, it's because "I'm not lucky enough" to get the essential drops that will help me kill a boss that fires constantly in 8 directions while jumping around dropping flies and vomiting acid, all at the same time, and you only have 2-3 hearts meaning you can only endure 2-6 hits before you are death.

Very good game ruined by insane difficulty and luck-based chances of winning. Don't waste your time with this, specially if you like, you know, beat and see the endings of your games. It gets 2 points because of the concept, gameplay and good music.
  8. Dec 1, 2011
    I bought this game after masses of positive critics. To be honest, I was quite disappointed. The story is kinda cute, but this game does not motivate me to play longer than two or three hours.
  9. Apr 12, 2012
    This game plays frustrating and not in that good way that makes you want to keep playing. Controls are shoddy and unplayable when there are too many characters on screen and it has some of the worst randomizations I have ever seen in a game and I've played video games for 35 years. Even when you build up a decent offensive, inevitably the controls will screw up and cost you most of your hearts. It's also silly you have to remember what all the pills do and even then, you on occasion get a different effect than you thought that color combo did. Giving it a 3. Needs some major fixes in the controls. Expand
  10. upi
    Dec 19, 2012
    If you are hoping to find a 21-century version of nethack, simply move on, there is nothing to see here. Nothing, that is, but ugly, uninspired graphics and badly designed mechanics. Some games are *good* because you are at the mercy of a Random Number God, but it takes good design and atmosphere to make that work.
  11. Jul 16, 2013
    The monster design and attack animation will only appeal to a selected minority. (I have played lots of horror game, but that's the only game I feel uncomfortable with) There is no description for the items randomly found during your adventure, you just test it by trial-and-error.

This is only a room-based 2D shooter game, with even no platform jumping involved. Your success depends on
    luck. The strength of monsters spawned and the usefulness of upgrade items found determine whether you can make it or not. There is not much lying on the skill side of player.

Also, this is not a progressive rogue game, you lose everything when you die. You need to start all over again, and you may be bored due to the limited randomness of enemy type, boss, room design in the first several stages, which are the ones you need to get through again and again.

Overall, if you don't mind a fresh start each time, and you like that kind of artistic style, this flash-game-like shooter game is for you.
  12. Jan 3, 2013
    There is a trend emerging in the last years for loving games just for them being hard. Be it "Dark Souls" (which is a great game in itself without taking the difficulty into account) or McMillen's previous hit "Super Meat Boy" (which also is a great game DUE to its very rewarding level of difficulty), and apparently this is the reason why everyone hails "The Binding of Isaac" as much as they do. However, there is a major flaw that keeps the difficulty from beeing rewarding: It is the system of randomization. While beeing a great asset in theory because it may increase the replayability, it just doesn't work out with a rogue-like game of this difficulty and in these dimensions. Rogue-like is usually all about trying out different builds, improving your strategies and skill and thus doing better and better in every try. In "The Binding of Isaac" however the majority of your runs will end so early that you aren't able to become any better, and that is not necessarily your fault. If you just get bad items on the first levels (or close to none because no keys dropped) and pick some of the harder bosses for the first level then you are going to have a very bad time. Also there is no choice of character build which means you are even more reliant to good drops. Another major problems is that many of the items have disadvantages that you don't know of before picking them up, and there is no way I know of to unequip picked up gear. The trinkets introduced in the expansion "Wrath of the Lamb" are even more of a pain in the butt because their effects are passive and it is incredibly hard to find out some of them. Some other items render a majority of dropps useless because they change your form.
    The general tone of the game is very dark and straight out nasty. While that may appeal to some, for me it is mindlessly provocant. I don't get the point of crying on turds and using a used and rotten sanitary napkin as weapon.
    The enemy design is good mechanics-wise and all have different patterns to accustom to, but the bosses all look generic. They are all just huge hunks of meat and/or maggots with some blood splattered in. Some of the bosses also require specific gear or they are incredibly hard, which is unfair considering that its just pure luck if you have said gear or not.
    In summary, I guess the majority of people loving the game so much in their reviews never played the games which "The Binding of Isaac" considers itself a homage to, and think it makes them some kind of retro-god to have finished the game. I for my part will just stick to "Dungeons of Dredmor" when I want some modernized piece of rogue-like. Or I will just play one of those old games instead.
    2 points is all I can give.
  13. Mar 24, 2013
    A frantic 2D arcade shooter with a blood, gore and fecal theme. Mash the keys and break your mouse. To get a bunch of random items of which you know not what they do, or even how to use them. Because nothing is explained. Not even that you can shoot with the mouse! Should have stayed on mobile devices. Why this is so revered for PC is really beyond me.
  14. Nov 5, 2013
    To the person who says that people who hate this game "don't get the concept of a roguelike", please stop talking. I've played roguelikes. Hell, Nethack is one of my favorite games of all time and I consider it the best RPG ever made (Keep crying, Skyrim and FFVII fanboys). This is nowhere close to a roguelike. For one thing, Roguelikes don't constantly rely entirely on luck. Skill has no place in The Binding of Isaac. They had to leave it out for more references to poop and Newgrounds videos. If you get dealt a bad hand, you can't make the most of it. You will get killed to the point of frustration. At least in Nethack, you rarely can blame the game for your bad playing.

The graphics? Do I even need to explain why they are bad? I don't mean in an artistic sense, even. If you like naked formaldehyde babies in a "cutesy" art style, then you might like this game. Also, I never want to meet you. I mean in a technical view. It is literally made in Flash. Flash is an AWFUL animation program, especially when you want to look professional. You mean to tell me that Edmund McMillen couldn't use any of his Super Meat Boy money to buy actual animation software? How lazy is he?

Speaking of Flash, did you know that this game is also CODED in Flash? So when your game crashes or has inconsistent performance (Achievement sounds loudly blaring when you turn off sound and music), thank Flash for that.

The "indie sense of humor" (toilet humor and "funney innernet joeks") is in full. References to meme faces, poop, and a bunch of Newgrounds games make up the humor. It's like Epic Movie except people who aren't entrenched in internet culture won't get the jokes and nerds like it because it "appeals to them". Give me a break. Binding of Isaac sucks. It's $5 and often goes down to a buck. Not even worth it at that price. You can get a real roguelike like Nethack for free.
  15. Nov 3, 2011
    A flash game ,but nothing of it reminds me on super meat boy, which has an extraordinary control !
    the music and sounds are not very likeable. The idea is a strange story with strange figures.
    You can see hanged figures on rooms where to buy or upgrade. I don´t find it culty or very original.
    the controls is extremely rubbish espec. when more than 2 enemys are to fight... in
    the forum people mean it´s, because of flash programming...Sorry, but I don´t understand the hype of Isaak dying on & on Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2011
    Compared to other 'flash' games like Castle Crashers you see how boring this game really is. Unless you really love **** blood and dungeons, give this crap a miss
  17. Nov 25, 2011
    The goal is not obvious or interesting enough to keep you wanting to play. The controls are not very fun to use, and I find at first it can be confusing with the walk controls being A, S, W and D and the arrows keys being used to fire (sort of like rubbing your belly and patting your head.) I am also not a fan of the music or grotesque art style which felt very immature and did my eyes in. Was recommended it by a friend, but the only perks selling this game seem to be the difficulty and randomly generated rooms, which in my opinion are also below par. Expand
  18. Jul 14, 2012
    This game will make you rage, and for all the wrong reasons. Where do I begin... The idea of randomly generated dungeons is a good one... but it ends about right there. The level design in this game is ATROCIOUS! You wanna know the difference between a good game like Link to the Past and an awful one like Binding of Isaac? Everything has purpose in the dungeon. Not in BoS though, here you'll have COUNTLESS play-throughs where there will be items and areas that are just completely in-accessible because of the way the dungeon is "designed". For instance, if you don't give even one key or bomb in the entire first dungeon, why oh WHY would you have a bunch of locked chests, boulders that block areas off, and locked doors? That's **** AWFUL design, and it's a complete cop-out to call this level of randomness a "feature". It's just lazy, sloppy programming at its finest. On top of that the powerups and items are so imbalanced that on some playthroughs I will go so far as to say that it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to beat it with what's given you. For instance, there are enemies in later dugeons that are so fast that if you didn't get enough speed upgrades (or got screwed by pills or items that permanently slow you) you will have NO CHANCE of outrunning them, and thus cannot beat them without taking TONS of damage. Moreover, if you didn't get proper firepower upgrades randomly generated for you, there will be rooms with hordes of beasts that can't actually be beaten. That is **** INEXCUSABLE. That doesn't scream "feature" to me, it screams "MAJOR DESIGN FLAW" to me. Most enemies can fire diagonally, but you can't. Your best bet is to slightly angle your shots by running in the direction. It's just plain awful, and there are SO many god damn things that can screw you over in this game. For instance if you beat a boss and happen to be standing on the place where the "stairs" open up, you immediately get thrust into the next level BEFORE you ever get a chance to collect your much needed powerup. This is also **** awful design, horrible horrible horrible horrible. Put a **** delay in at least for christ's sakes. Overall this game is just plain ass. There are not many redeeming qualities, it really should be a free game because I already regret the 1 dollar I spent on this piece of **** and the 20 bucks I'll have to pay to buy a new god damn keyboard from slamming it in frustration. **** this game and **** the developers for knowingly releasing such a piece of trash. Didn't the release Super Meat Boy? How did they go from THAT to THIS??!! Makes no sense, maybe they bumped their head somewhere along the way and got brain damage.

Avoid this game at all costs, I am convinced the people who enjoy it don't actually enjoy it, but are rather buying into the hype because it's made by the SMB developers. If they took one god damned second to critically look at this game they'd realize how **** awfully designed it is.
  19. Oct 1, 2012
    Very-very disappointed. Controls are bad. Shooting sucks with Joytokey either. The visuals are nice, but overall it's an unfair, almost completely luck based, cheap flash game. (Today I learned what "rouge like elements" mean.)
  20. Jul 31, 2014
    This game is disgusting. Maybe it has a lot of action and fun gameplay, but it is disgusting. I am not so timid to be afraid of blood and guts in the game, but if the game consists only from blood, guts, gore and terrible freaks it is not for me. And especially such kind of games where you kill your own mother. Disgusting.
  21. Oct 4, 2014
    I bought this as it was highly rated during a 85% sale off. Also reason why I didn't do too much research on this one.

Your character's mom wants to kill him and your character has to kill his mom WTF!? This game is so screwed up man and if this is supposed to be a joke it is not the kind of joke I want to get?

Fun roguelike gameplay, sick story not for mass appeal,
  22. May 4, 2013
    The introductory movie was interesting and entertaining, but that is about all I can put in the pros column. The game play is something you'd see 15 years ago. I know, nostalgia is becoming all the rage, but it feels like a cop out that indie developers are using to put out poor production value. I'm not slamming all indie work, there is quite a bit of good stuff out there. Next, this is a rougelike. Again, I know rougelikes are becoming popular. But I just don't find it fun to loose all progress and start over from the beginning with a randomized map. It makes me feel like I wasted my time. I got a bit intrigued about the various items and collectibles, but you apparently have to use them to find out what they do, and even then I wasn't sure what happened. You can't jump on the Apple bandwagon of providing no user assistance, when your user interface is not intuitive. There may have been an interesting story here, but I'm not going to punish myself to unfold it. Expand
  23. Sep 30, 2013
    The Binding of Isaac has a neat idea, but in the end it's not worthwhile and boring. Some people will like it, but I feel quite a few people will be bored to death with the simple combat, dumb story, dumb, pandering humour, and item drops which often feel unfair or stupid. Did I mention, the item drops often just result in the game taking a long time to beat, as opposed to making the game harder? Yeah, it just gets boring for me. But, some people might get a kick out of it if they really really like rogue likes. Expand
  24. Jul 30, 2013
    I never understood the appeal of this game. The graphical theme is disgusting, to say the least. The atmosphere depressing. The gameplay is overly frantic. And nothing, nothing is explained to the user. Look, you found a thing. What does the thing do? We won't tell you! You have to play hundreds of hours to find out for yourself! On top of that, you get Steam achievements for finding random stuff. No skill involved, just luck. Look ma, I played this game for 200 hours until the random number generator gave me that elusive last achievement! Meh. Expand
  25. Oct 19, 2013
    Extremely cheap copy of the old Bomberman games. Graphics are like that drawn by a 3-year old kid and music is close to non existent. Good thing I didn't buy it but came in a bundle.
  26. Aug 4, 2014
    This game is so ridiculously difficult that it makes Dark Souls set on hard look like a kid's game. You can expect to live about 3 or 4 minutes on average. I don't know how people can think this is a good game when you can only play 3 minutes before dying. It is not even fair how poor the controls are. You have basically no chance to win. Look at the stats. On Steam, 37% of the players couldn't even get the EASIEST of the 84 achievements. How sad is that? Unless you are a masochist, please don't waste your money. Expand
  27. Oct 31, 2011

1. Mar 19, 2012
    The Binding of Isaac looks like an old school game like the original Zeldas, but with a dark scenario and dark humor. It has the typical difficulty of a McMillen game, which is not found anywhere else these days. This game will motivate you to try and try again in such a simple way – just brilliant. If you like the style and the old school gameplay of The Binding of Isaac, you'll have a lot of fun with it.
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    One may play for an hour or two, but they're constantly tempted to go back in and uncover the scads of remaining secrets. It's a style of game that really intrigues me, and one I want to see more of
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    Zelda meets Robotron: Isaac celebrates old school topdown action in randomly generated dungeons.