The Binding of Isaac PC

8.3

1. Jan 17, 2015
    The Binding of Isaac is an amazingly rewarding game for its "randomly generated dungeon-looting" theme, which is somewhat unique in the larger gaming universe of today with standard RPGs and MMOs flooding the scene.

Definitely worth the price with countless hours of replay value.
  2. Aug 4, 2014
    Be warned: this game is ROGUE. If you do not like dying a bunch and restarting from scratch over and over, this is not for you. If you do not like challenging games, borderline frustrating deaths, this game is not for you. I died over 300 times in 60 hours= about one death (restart) every 12 minutes.

This is the epitome of old-school rogue games. Main difference is that each

This is the epitome of old-school rogue games. Main difference is that each play-through is random instead of the same exact thing every time. That said, you will often find yourself playing in much the same manner over and over again. Items are random, so some runs you will get lucky and others you will get unlucky.

At one point I considered it just barely above a flash game, now I find it's pretty decent, I played over 60 hours, though not all of them were fun. Buy it on sale, I don't value it at $5. If you're patient and willing to master the simple but challenging gameplay, give it a shot.
  3. Oct 29, 2013
    The thing that makes this game special, is how original it is. The story is original, the gameplay is original, and it's a step backward in the best way possible. It's absolutely fantastic and you need to play this. I don't think I need to say any more.
  4. Oct 15, 2013
    pleeease first understand that this game was made for a niche audience, not for everyone and its not the kind of game one expects to see in this age of gaming.... nevertheless the game goes on to sell millions of copies... why??

cause it rocks... thats why... binding of isaac's design is based of the legend of zelda dungeon structure, except that its randomly generated and has a huge number of items which changes the way his bullets (tears) behave and/or change your appearance and/or your stats... and add ahealthy dose of ed mcmillen's weird humor ...

the game manages to keep itself interesting THANKS ONLY TO THE LARGE VARIETY OF ITEMS AND BOSSES and for no other reason whatsoever... so if you go in expecting strategy, and usage of brains, then you will be disappointed to say the least... this game demands precise dodging and good ability to read the enemy patterns (which most old school gamers possess)...

so what is good about the game as i said is its large variety of items and bosses, all for a price of a cuppa coffee... many ppl may lose 100s of hours, but i dont see more than 10 hrs of game here, anything more is pointless (read artificial extension of gameplay time)

whats so bad for it to deserve a 7?? its not very well thought out... as i said earlier, the dev didnt expect the game to sell at all, so he just made it a hotch potch, half assed effort (purely imo)... i believe if he had spent a little more time, this could have been an excellent game worthy of universal praise

(which i hope binding of isaac rebirth will be)
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    If you can get it really cheap or ina bundle get it.
    It's good for casual gaming and short bursts.
    Even the game is not pc demanding at all, graphic settings on high can lag a laptop (WTF) controls with keyboard are tricky BUT NOT BAD. People are wrong when the say keyb on this game is broken. First, movement counts on your firing altering direction. Second, put the graphic options
    If you can get it really cheap or ina bundle get it.
    It's good for casual gaming and short bursts.
    controls with keyboard are tricky BUT NOT BAD.
    People are wrong when the say keyb on this game is broken.
    First, movement counts on your firing altering direction.
    Second, put the graphic options on LOW to make sure there is no input lag for the keyb.
    third, there is some kind on inertia when you move, so be careful.

You have to be really lucky to get the right stuff to finish the game.
    If you only feel happy with a game if you finish it, dont play. the joy of this game
    is based on how random it can be,aming it difficult. If this wasn't like this,the game
    would be short as in wft.
    conclusion, there are better rogue like games out there but this one can be enjoyable.
  6. Aug 12, 2013
    I will strongly disagree with some of the reviews that sell this as a game that will never become boring. It did become very boring very fast (after 3 hours) to me. Here's why: it is very hard and unforgiving when you die, you start all over again. The success of the passing of a certain level will depend on the random generator of the game if you get lucky and find a good improvementI will strongly disagree with some of the reviews that sell this as a game that will never become boring. It did become very boring very fast (after 3 hours) to me. Here's why: it is very hard and unforgiving when you die, you start all over again. The success of the passing of a certain level will depend on the random generator of the game if you get lucky and find a good improvement (let's say a gun that shoots through obstacles) you have a 300% better chance of passing. But if you find something else you will probably not pass the level. This is frustrating, and also pointless in replay value. The story is unique, the setting is weird and fascinating, the monsters are disturbing and imaginative, but the game play is repetitive and boring, though challenging and absurdly tough. Expand
  7. Jul 19, 2013
    This game feels like the ones that one would find on a free flash game website. It feels cheap and the execution just feels off to me. Maybe it's that the game doesn't tell you much about anything about the game play (damage numbers, if your shot actually hit the poop pile, that walking over a store item will buy it). I played about 3 games and I just got bored of it (to those who wonderThis game feels like the ones that one would find on a free flash game website. It feels cheap and the execution just feels off to me. Maybe it's that the game doesn't tell you much about anything about the game play (damage numbers, if your shot actually hit the poop pile, that walking over a store item will buy it). I played about 3 games and I just got bored of it (to those who wonder if I beat the game, my third try got me to the second to last level). Also, having the ability to only shoot in 4 directions just annoys the hell out of me, along with the projectiles slightly carrying the movement of Isaac. Makes for inaccurate gameplay that feels like throwing arrows and hoping one hits. This game connects with many people, but I guess I am not one of them. Expand
  8. Jul 17, 2013
    Binding of Isaac is fun, creative, and addictive. Problems? It's not very different. The items and story are unique, but the enemies and layouts are pretty boring. The game's levels never change in design, they are just a re-texture and get harder. The enemies are what you see in all your games just with different designs. You got your turrets, your bombers and things that chase you. TheBinding of Isaac is fun, creative, and addictive. Problems? It's not very different. The items and story are unique, but the enemies and layouts are pretty boring. The game's levels never change in design, they are just a re-texture and get harder. The enemies are what you see in all your games just with different designs. You got your turrets, your bombers and things that chase you. The only boss I found creative is Mom. But that's it.

The game is fun so I will give it a 6.2.
  9. AWG
    Jun 26, 2013
    Everything in this game is random, everything in this game is bad.
    Wasted potential everywhere, and way too much references to "funny" memes from the internet.
  10. Apr 26, 2013
    This game has a great story and absolutely terrific artwork. The sense of humor of whoever wrote the in-game texts is excellent. The music is great as well. Unfortunately, the gameplay is pretty much mediocre, I mean it's just a 2D top-down view arcade game, and the fact that you can only shoot in horiz/vert direction and not just at the clicked spot makes it's pretty difficult to play andThis game has a great story and absolutely terrific artwork. The sense of humor of whoever wrote the in-game texts is excellent. The music is great as well. Unfortunately, the gameplay is pretty much mediocre, I mean it's just a 2D top-down view arcade game, and the fact that you can only shoot in horiz/vert direction and not just at the clicked spot makes it's pretty difficult to play and the fights too chaotic. Overall, this game is good for having a look, enjoying it for one evening and then dropping it, because in the long run the thing which could hold you in front of the screen (the gameplay) is missing. Art: 10!, Music: 10, Sounds: 10! Design: 4 Expand
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    You may have read people comparing The Binding of Isaac to classic games such as The Legend of Zelda or NetHack. While The Binding has some similar concepts, it is completely and totally inaccurate to describe this game as such. At it's most basic core, The Binding is nothing more then a very shallow, very simple, very basic roguelike. The entire game is completely randomized andYou may have read people comparing The Binding of Isaac to classic games such as The Legend of Zelda or NetHack. While The Binding has some similar concepts, it is completely and totally inaccurate to describe this game as such. At it's most basic core, The Binding is nothing more then a very shallow, very simple, very basic roguelike. The entire game is completely randomized and completely unforgiving. Due to the graphic and macob nature of the game, it tends to be very interesting, for the first few plays. After which, it is nothing more then aggravating and annoying. If you are a fan of wasting your time, then by all means, buy The Binding of Isaac, everyone else, avoid at all costs. Expand
  12. Mar 14, 2013
    Binding of Isaac graduated from the same class as Dark Souls, in the belief that "difficult" is synonymous with "quality". Luckily, the game is highly relpayable, which is good because you will die constantly. While the game boasts a high variety of content Weapons, enemies, items, and random dungeon generation you will still often find yourself with a sense of deja vu as you explore theBinding of Isaac graduated from the same class as Dark Souls, in the belief that "difficult" is synonymous with "quality". Luckily, the game is highly relpayable, which is good because you will die constantly. While the game boasts a high variety of content Weapons, enemies, items, and random dungeon generation you will still often find yourself with a sense of deja vu as you explore the exact same room several times in one level, and pick up the same useless items you received last time you play. While BoI does require a deal of skill to play, it requires even more luck than skill, and you will often find that you will die from no fault of your own. You will also find that Binding of Isaac is not a game about how far you can get before dying, and more a game of "How many times can I chase this crying sprite around a rock wall before I just close the game out of annoyance?". Expand
  13. Feb 1, 2013
    Though I generally like difficult games, I am not a fan of The Binding of Isaac. You do get better every time you play it, and it is very rewarding to beat the game and it's always fun to find new items. But I don't like the whole Everything-Is-Random concept. It makes chance a big part of the game. And you have to try again and again until you not only play well enough but also are luckyThough I generally like difficult games, I am not a fan of The Binding of Isaac. You do get better every time you play it, and it is very rewarding to beat the game and it's always fun to find new items. But I don't like the whole Everything-Is-Random concept. It makes chance a big part of the game. And you have to try again and again until you not only play well enough but also are lucky enough to beat the game. And trying so many times seems like such a waste of time to me.

To me the weird look and setting was ok. I liked it, but it wasn't great. The soundtrack is great I really like Danny's work! But I don't understand why it is just mono and such a bad sound quality. Maybe there were limitations in the sound engine, because also there are short dropouts during playback probably when the loop starts over again. But still that's a shame.

All in all it is a game worth playing, but not worth spending too much time on it.
  14. Jan 25, 2013
    Looks like a flash game but its no reason to not play it. The concept is interesting with EVERY map and weapons being random but personaly i didnt find it that much satisfying.
  15. Dec 29, 2012
    This game is comparable in depth of the gameplay to many flash games you'll find on the net, which is why I wouldn't pay anymore than the $1.25 I did during the most recent Steam sale. In saying this it is still a fun game that'll push you to keep playing til you beat it. The random elements of the game can make it unforgiving and incompletable on some runs however you will also haveThis game is comparable in depth of the gameplay to many flash games you'll find on the net, which is why I wouldn't pay anymore than the $1.25 I did during the most recent Steam sale. In saying this it is still a fun game that'll push you to keep playing til you beat it. The random elements of the game can make it unforgiving and incompletable on some runs however you will also have playthroughs that frequently reward you with good loot. This kind of variety means each time is different and you'll have to adjust your play style to suit your upgrades. Worth giving it a go if you're bored and have a few loose dollars to burn. Expand
  16. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is unique in the way that it brings a new, interesting art style, with many MANY different enemies, bosses, and power-ups to collect, and with its dark story. But what it accomplishes in some areas, it falls short in many others.
    The power-ups you collect don't change the game-play in any way, its always a boost to health, damage, or bullet type, there are almost no power-ups that actually dramatically change the way the game plays, its always the same "Walking around crying on turds". I can respect the attempt to create a different, dark, and gruesome art-style that this game tries to portray, but in terms of game-play it really isn't that enjoyable past your first couple play-throughs. Yes, there are many different items to collect, but even with the items, power-ups, and enemies, its still always the same boring, meme-filled garbage for every room and every floor.
    Really, all in all I can respect the premise and idea of the game, but the way it was executed was poor.
  17. Nov 5, 2012
    The game is very fun and very addicting. You will likely find yourself playing over and over again just to see what wacky combinations of items you can beef up your character with. The game can be challenging at times, but for the wrong reasons. Dodging skill is required to really get anywhere in this game, but whether you win or lose is based almost entirely on randomly generated items.The game is very fun and very addicting. You will likely find yourself playing over and over again just to see what wacky combinations of items you can beef up your character with. The game can be challenging at times, but for the wrong reasons. Dodging skill is required to really get anywhere in this game, but whether you win or lose is based almost entirely on randomly generated items. Finding a few good item combos in the beginning almost ensures a win and getting a few bad ones means you are nearly hopeless regardless of skill. The story is also pretty weak, which gives it a very arcade-like feel. Overall the game's interesting gameplay and addictive nature is going to make it worth the price tag, but its over reliance on luck and story, or lack there of, is going to hurt its score. Expand
  18. Oct 16, 2012
    Lo bueno: Rápido y aditctivo. Dificultad aceptable, un gran número de objetos(si es que tienes el DLC wraith of the lambs), habitaciones, itemes y enemigos aleatorios.
    Lo Malo: Básicamente para pasarlo no dependes de tu habilidad sino de la suerte de que te salgan los buenos itemes. Enemigos muy parecidos en apariencia. Si vas con buena racha de itemes se te hará muy corto el juego.
  19. Aug 25, 2012
    The game is a fun for a few runs if the gory interesting looking characters don't make you wonder why exactly you decided to get the game. The numerous upgrades and entirely random gathering of them with little explanation of what anything does makes it hard to find what exactly it is your looking for without researching elsewhere but what ultimately ruins this game is the low replayThe game is a fun for a few runs if the gory interesting looking characters don't make you wonder why exactly you decided to get the game. The numerous upgrades and entirely random gathering of them with little explanation of what anything does makes it hard to find what exactly it is your looking for without researching elsewhere but what ultimately ruins this game is the low replay value. Once you run through it once it really becomes a "collect the other objects" game and there are plenty of other games with better graphics and more interesting objects to collect. Expand
  20. Jul 23, 2012
    I found this game fun but really, hard. I could not get past the first level. but soon a bit of help from youtube and my friends got me to the next level. But after i died in the second level. Trust me this is a good game... for those who aren't noobs and know how to play. im a casual gamer. this game caught my attention and, my friends kept talking about it. i bought the game and enteredI found this game fun but really, hard. I could not get past the first level. but soon a bit of help from youtube and my friends got me to the next level. But after i died in the second level. Trust me this is a good game... for those who aren't noobs and know how to play. im a casual gamer. this game caught my attention and, my friends kept talking about it. i bought the game and entered a code on steam. Because of the story and the gameplay it had me coming back for more. Expand
  21. Jul 21, 2012
    Great game for the price (especially if you get it for 75% off on Steam). It's very challenging, meaning that you probably won't beat it on your first, second, tenth, or even fiftieth play through. It takes a fair amount of skill and a bit of luck in finding good items to beat this game. When you first start, you will need to get used to the feel of the game -- like figuring out how theGreat game for the price (especially if you get it for 75% off on Steam). It's very challenging, meaning that you probably won't beat it on your first, second, tenth, or even fiftieth play through. It takes a fair amount of skill and a bit of luck in finding good items to beat this game. When you first start, you will need to get used to the feel of the game -- like figuring out how the enemies line up on the screen, and when to stop moving so your character doesn't accidentally go through a door, but once you get used to the controls, the awkwardness isn't as noticeable. I like the randomly generated levels and items, despite the fact that I sense it's trolling me at every opportunity (ie, having 54 coins for three levels and never finding one more coin I could pick up to get 55 and unlock Cain). If games make you rage, you might want to stay away from this one, because there are times you can have a near perfect run, and still lose due to the random nature of the game. A lot of the items are buggy as well, and it can be tough to play this one without a wiki at your side, since the game doesn't actually tell you what any of the items do (and I'm not usually one to like using wiki's for help at all, but it feels necessary in BoI). Overall though, not too shabby! Expand
  22. Jul 15, 2012
    I love the idea of the game. The story was wonderful. Unfortunately, the control and graphics options are anything but. When you first load the game, it goes into a windowed cinematic. That is where the problems begin. I don't know what size the windo is, but it looks as if it takes up less than 1/4 of my 32" screen. As another reviewer mentioned, the control scheme (think Smash TV)I love the idea of the game. The story was wonderful. Unfortunately, the control and graphics options are anything but. When you first load the game, it goes into a windowed cinematic. That is where the problems begin. I don't know what size the windo is, but it looks as if it takes up less than 1/4 of my 32" screen. As another reviewer mentioned, the control scheme (think Smash TV) really seems to fit a dual analog controller. So, what do they do about it? They tell you to Google it in the options. That's right. In order to control the game, you need to Google the settings. At least the program they suggest is designed for the game, right? WRONG! The program they suggested doesn't even have dual analog support. The very least they could have done was have a link in the options that links right to a program that actually has dual analog support. Total time played: 27 mins. Total time spent actually doing stuff in game: 5 mins. I am just too frustrated to spend any more time on this game. Too bad, because if the options worked, I would have given it a much higher score. Expand
  23. May 12, 2012
    Isaac possesses charm wrapped in a very twisted story. Originally I thought it was a very primitive top view shooter, but after spending more time with it and understanding some simple tricks, I found it's actually quite complex offering a mild strategy that can be frustratingly addictive. Permadeath really adds an element of player alertness making you try harder not to take damage.Isaac possesses charm wrapped in a very twisted story. Originally I thought it was a very primitive top view shooter, but after spending more time with it and understanding some simple tricks, I found it's actually quite complex offering a mild strategy that can be frustratingly addictive. Permadeath really adds an element of player alertness making you try harder not to take damage.

Although the game is extremely short, there is a surprising amount of replay value due to its randomly generated maps, monster combinations, and item drops. You really never know how you are going to fair on any given playthrough which keeps it from feeling repetitive. With practice and persistence, you will unlock new items that make the game somewhat easier, but also more fun. Experimenting with item combinations is a treat, plus it's hard not to break a smile from some of the crazy power ups as well.

For a $1 game, Isaac holds priceless value.
  24. Apr 21, 2012
    It's an arcade style game, and you've got to play the same levels over and over, but you get different bonuses each time. You'd better love the gameplay, because you'll be doing the same thing over and over. It's a decent time killer, but after beating it 3 times, I don't think I could ever return to it.
  25. Mar 17, 2012
    Smash TV meets Legend of Zelda meets zero skill and 100% randomness. I tried to like this game but I can't. It has a lot of interesting features: dynamic, randomly generated rooms (to an extent), a ton of items that can mix and match for new and interesting powers, and an overall cutesy (yet disturbing) aesthetic. That's about all it has going for it, though. Completion of the gameSmash TV meets Legend of Zelda meets zero skill and 100% randomness. I tried to like this game but I can't. It has a lot of interesting features: dynamic, randomly generated rooms (to an extent), a ton of items that can mix and match for new and interesting powers, and an overall cutesy (yet disturbing) aesthetic. That's about all it has going for it, though. Completion of the game has little to do with skill and more to do with whether or not you got lucky with the randomly generated items. You are never given a description of what items do, so choosing and using them is a risk. For example, using a particular tarot card during a boss fight can teleport you out of the room, forcing you to go back and restart the fight with the boss now at full health. Little things like this kill the fun for me. Most characters are terrible, while Cain is comparatively broken. Even still, using him doesn't guarantee victory, as victory is only achieved through random luck. Even if you get very skilled at dodging monsters and avoiding hits, the game will often give you items and stats that don't scale your character's strength for the next level. Sometimes characters can be so weak a mini-boss takes 4-5 minutes to kill, while other times the same boss might die in 20 seconds. Considering an average playthrough can take upward of an hour+, only to (usually) die, it's hard for me to find enjoyment. I'm not against high difficulty and I dislike the coddling of players with today's games, but I also dislike games that are just plain unfair and don't reward skill. Binding of Isaac is one of these games. For $5 it's not a bad buy and it can kill time, but unless you want to spend hours playing a dressed up dice game, it might be best to avoid it. Expand
  26. Feb 27, 2012
    Little bits of genius infused with a purposeful hate for the player. It's fun messing around with, however completing the game multi-times, and proclaiming it the best game ever made. Says more about the player than the game.
  27. Dec 13, 2011
    An amazing game with a drop of humor. It reminds me a lot of Dungeon of Dredmor except this game is simpler and a lot shorter. I was not impressed that the items and cards you collect have no explanation on what they do exactly. I mean at least tell me what they do once I've gone thru a game using one(there are too much to memorize), but no- you are left deciding whether to risk using themAn amazing game with a drop of humor. It reminds me a lot of Dungeon of Dredmor except this game is simpler and a lot shorter. I was not impressed that the items and cards you collect have no explanation on what they do exactly. I mean at least tell me what they do once I've gone thru a game using one(there are too much to memorize), but no- you are left deciding whether to risk using them because a lot of them lead to close death or disappointment. The price is worth it though. Expand
  28. Dec 1, 2011
    Realtime lightweight roguelike? How's that work then?

Realtime lightweight roguelike? How's that work then?

Rogue, for those not blessed with the beard of brian, is a turnbased RPG of such profound depth that it's basically impossible to finish. Each game is procedurally generated, and each turn has so many possible actions that they take an entire keyboard of hotkeys to interact. So how does that translate to the twitch-gaming we've come to expect from the creator of Super Meatboy?

The answer is that it doesn't. While Binding of Isaac does share familial resemblance to Rogue, it isn't in the depth of options available. At any point, it's still Smash TV-esque run and shoot. Where it is like Rogue is that you will collect many things, and you will die. A lot. And it won't always be your fault, but you'll still start one more game just to see what kind of hellish abomination of death and destruction you'll become this time, before once again you meet a bigger one. It's a game to be played, not a game to be won.

It's not without flaws, the controls do feel like they should be tighter, and to be honest you generally feel like your weapons are just pissing up the wall - occasionally literally. It's not a game that will dominate your life, but it is probably a game that you'll still be coming back to in six months' time.
  29. Nov 8, 2011
    Sleek and simple, yet deep and complex at the same time. A wonderful blend of both roguelike and the 2D Zelda games of old. Its not something you'll spend countless hours at a time with, rather you'll say "Oh, I've got half an hour on hand, I'll try my hand at this game again"

My only complaints are that the FPS often drops when there are multiple projectiles on the screen at once, and that (for me at least) it is an easy game once you take 5 minutes to figure out the basics. After dying twice, I was able to beat the game on my third try. Nevertheless, I still play it just to see the different combinations of items.
  30. Nov 8, 2011
    During my adventures with The Binding of Isaac, I had fun. It is a very hard game (a huge plus for me) and was very enjoyable. I will admit, I'm sick of seeing flash games you can find on Newgrounds being sold as stand alone pc games though.
  31. Nov 2, 2011
    This game, in a nutshell, involves controlling a character through a set of interlocked, randomly generated rooms, each of which is full of enemies and blocks in the style of an old school Zelda dungeon (aside from the fact that every room is the exact same size and shape). As you explore these interlocked rooms, you control your character with WASD and fire with the arrows. You can pickThis game, in a nutshell, involves controlling a character through a set of interlocked, randomly generated rooms, each of which is full of enemies and blocks in the style of an old school Zelda dungeon (aside from the fact that every room is the exact same size and shape). As you explore these interlocked rooms, you control your character with WASD and fire with the arrows. You can pick up various drops: coins, health, power up items, and equipment upgrades. As you progress, you encounter new enemies, bosses, and random mini-bosses. But that's about the extent of it. There's really not a lot going on here. There is no reason to call this a bad game. It is good at what it does, but it is an extremely minimal game. Some would praise the twisted story and artwork, whereas I am constantly torn between what I see as a hint of a twisted vision (i.e., art) and just a bunch of poop and gore in an experience that is barely a game. I am not surprised to find that the binding of isaac has good scores here, since like I said it's definitely not bad. But I am surprised that the vast majority of people consider this an 8 to 10 range game. It's a good game, but I don't think it is worth even $5. I can play more interesting games than this for free in my browser, and I wouldn't even lose much in quality. In short, this game certainly has style, but as a game, it is more of a Newgrounds sort of a game than a commercial game. Definitely try the demo before buying. Expand
  32. Oct 17, 2011
    Charming, but I can't see any strengths beyond it's aesthetics and the curious & slightly controversial religious story. I much prefer Realm Of The Mad God or Dungeons of Dredmor for this kind of gameplay - and the former is free.
  33. Oct 11, 2011
    yes it is enjoyable,yes it is quite cheap,but i got one problem with this. the game is just a generic flash-game like you can find on newgrounds(there is even a smaller"demo" version on it) and i do not like the idea of having to pay money for a flash game! im now only hoping that this wont mark the beginning of an age where you have to pay for a simple little browser game. the game itselfyes it is enjoyable,yes it is quite cheap,but i got one problem with this. the game is just a generic flash-game like you can find on newgrounds(there is even a smaller"demo" version on it) and i do not like the idea of having to pay money for a flash game! im now only hoping that this wont mark the beginning of an age where you have to pay for a simple little browser game. the game itself is quite enjoyable however. the bosses are challenging,the random powerups make this a game of chance and the artwork is the kind we kinda expect from the game's creator. over-al it is nice game but it is just a flash game so don't get high expectations of it Collapse
  34. Oct 9, 2011
    Twin-Stick Shooter meets a rogue-like inspiration but not a rogue-like gameplay or inventory management. If there is something that can be said about this game is: It is a "Twin-Stick shooter" and not a rogue-like or any kind of RPG, in fact I had the biggest surprise when I got the game, I was hoping for a Zelda-like style game and came up with a Geometry Wars meets Meat boy(in graphicsTwin-Stick Shooter meets a rogue-like inspiration but not a rogue-like gameplay or inventory management. If there is something that can be said about this game is: It is a "Twin-Stick shooter" and not a rogue-like or any kind of RPG, in fact I had the biggest surprise when I got the game, I was hoping for a Zelda-like style game and came up with a Geometry Wars meets Meat boy(in graphics likeness).

The game is not a rogue-like because don't have almost any of its elements, which is the opposite of the claims made by the developer.

From the game's steam page:
    "The Binding of Isaac is a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements (...)."

The random generated levels are not a rogue-like exclusive, and despite the character in fact receive some items, and there a map and a shop. Most of them feel like a power up of a shooter (Geometry wars/Asteroids) than one of a rogue-like (Angband/nethack/torchlight).

Said that, the game is cool if you play it like a twin-stick shooter (which is SO MUCH BETTER PLAYED ON A CONTROLLER), but the game does not support gamepads, only via a joytokey-like software, which is exactly what you should expect from a Adobe Flash-game in a website, but not from a Five dollars PC game on Steam, it's feel lazy and like the whole game was hurried up to be sold, make some money so the life goes on and the joke is on the customer who could have been misled.

The games is good, have true good music, weird but cool theme/story, and some fun power-ups, but is worth $5 at the maximum, maybe $2.5 would be more fair.

If the game had been well-executed in the gameplay, it would be very good, but it lacks several amenities of a good game like the native controller support and better menu/general interface.

The game feels looks and plays like a flash game, a good one, but a flash game nonetheless... If you are expecting a true rogue-like game, go play torchlight or others you will pay little more but will be WAY more pleased.

IF you like twin-stick shooters, the game is very interesting and has good variety of gameplay, but, please! Play with a controller.

You will like:
    Twin-shooter novelty;
    Cool Graphics and music;
    Lots of power ups, weapons and items;
    Random generated dungeons equal a lot of replay value;

You will hate:
    NOT rogue-like;
    The stupid I.A.;
    No native controller support;
    Bad menus, can't control with the keyboard have to use mouse;
    Very difficult;
    No, seriously, VERY DIFFICULT.
  35. Oct 4, 2011
    The game is good, but it didn't really fit my tastes, nor my brother's. This game really has potential and is a good 5 dollar buy. Now, the enviroments were bland and the plot was not that good either. I expected more from this game, but I can't say that it wasn't a good buy, because trust me it was a GREAT buy.
  36. Oct 11, 2011

1. Mar 19, 2012
    The Binding of Isaac looks like an old school game like the original Zeldas, but with a dark scenario and dark humor. It has the typical difficulty of a McMillen game, which is not found anywhere else these days. This game will motivate you to try and try again in such a simple way – just brilliant. If you like the style and the old school gameplay of The Binding of Isaac, you'll have a lot of fun with it.
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    One may play for an hour or two, but they're constantly tempted to go back in and uncover the scads of remaining secrets. It's a style of game that really intrigues me, and one I want to see more of
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    Zelda meets Robotron: Isaac celebrates old school topdown action in randomly generated dungeons.