8.4

1. Feb 23, 2013
    Fun, Hard, MAKES ME WANNA CUT MY BALLS OFF, GOD I LOVE THIS GAME WORTH ALL YOUR MONEYS,
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    Nails, great little shooter that both infuriates and delights at an equal level, the dark psychology behind the setting is just superb and as old school 2D semi RPG shooters go, you're onto a winner.
  3. Apr 24, 2018
    The Binding of Isaac is a very oldschool top-down roguelite shooter with RPG elements that has it's own style and feel while paying homage to a lot of older games. Main flaw of Isaac is randomness: itis too high even for procedural generated permadeath game.
  4. Jan 4, 2015
    Nevermind me, when I rated this game "zero" I was probably just in bad mood. Actually this game is awesome. Awesome and hard. For indie game this is masterpiece. Such games as this one and Super Meat Boy really ignites indie game industry.
  5. Nov 7, 2015
    A pretty addictive rogue-like dungeon crawler. This game doesn't look like much at first, but you'd be wrong to judge it on first impressions.

You play as Isaac, and your goal is to make way through numerous dungeons and slay nasty monsters dwelling in them by shooting tears at them. Each dungeon floor has a boss at the end, which is randomly chosen from a batch of half a dozen of possible bosses for that dungeon area. After every 2 floors, the dungeon area changes and you meet new enemies. And of course all along you come across a massive variety of items and upgrades, some have a passive effect, like increasing your damage, others require to be activated, and some can even act as pets. With so many items to find, every new dungeon run is guaranteed to feel different.

Most of all I enjoyed the boss fights (from those I've faced so far). Each boss has a unique design, personality, and battle strategy, and I always get positively psyched every time I come across a boss room, wondering who is going to try and mash me into the floor this time.

The game has many unlockables, such as playable characters for example. You can even unlock new bosses to spawn in the game by meeting certain criteria, like by beating the basement level 25 times, or completing the game, and so on.

Unfortunately, just like most rogue-likes, this game is heavily dependent on luck - whether you find good stuff, what sort of enemies you come across, what is the design of the room you fight them in, and so on. You even find differently coloured pills as items frequently, and they always have a random effect, sometimes a harmful one. So that luck aspect of it can be a little annoying.

But in general this is one of those fun, "just one more try and then I'm done" games that's easy to jump into. I'd easily recommend it for fans of rogue-like dungeon crawlers.
  6. Apr 3, 2015
    I love the gameplay and weird style that this game has. The story is either very deep or the creator threw a bunch of random things together and knew we would try to analyze it and pick it apart. Either way I really enjoy how easy it is to turn this on and have a quick play-through.
  7. Mar 15, 2015
    This game is a dark but very fun time. It has a lot in common with the first Zelda game, which is a great thing. The game doesn't only sound great, it plays great too and I would recomend it to anyone who enjoys challenging games.
  8. Dec 30, 2012
    Surprisingly addictive as the game looks completely outdated and a very pale copy of a Zelda-like. However, the cleverness resides in the rogue approach and the tons of items and upgrades that make each game very different and the replay value humongous. You get yourself caught playing game after game after game and each experience is truly unique. Warning though: this game is not forSurprisingly addictive as the game looks completely outdated and a very pale copy of a Zelda-like. However, the cleverness resides in the rogue approach and the tons of items and upgrades that make each game very different and the replay value humongous. You get yourself caught playing game after game after game and each experience is truly unique. Warning though: this game is not for everyone. You better have a good dose of black humor because the background is very sordid. Expand
  9. Jul 19, 2013
    The best words to sum up this game would be "omg" and "wtf."
    The opening video for the game is worth half the base price alone. Really funny random humor.
    The gameplay is hard as hell, and I rarely make it past the first stage, but the game is designed to play in an arcade type fashion so I can accept the unforgiving difficulty.
    Great indie game. Must buy for an indie fan.
  10. Jan 12, 2012
    The Binding of Isaac is an excellent implementation of the new age of roguelikes. The graphical style is simple and lacking in much detail, but it works perfectly with the narrative. The story is both fun and dark, without taking itself too seriously. The game's difficulty is something of a barrier, but not too detrimental to the gameplay. Dying so many times can get frustrating, butThe Binding of Isaac is an excellent implementation of the new age of roguelikes. The graphical style is simple and lacking in much detail, but it works perfectly with the narrative. The story is both fun and dark, without taking itself too seriously. The game's difficulty is something of a barrier, but not too detrimental to the gameplay. Dying so many times can get frustrating, but getting right back in it isn't too tough to accomplish. There are so many power-ups and items that you will be hard-pressed to collect them all. Also, there are many items that will change the visual appearance of your character, which is really fun. Unfortunately, many items are not provided with a description of their usage as you find them, which means that you may be negatively or positively surprised, depending on the outcome. The bosses and mini bosses are well done, and of adequate difficulty in comparison to the rest of your enemies throughout the game. The map system is excellent, and extremely helpful, especially to someone like me who has trouble with spatial directions and remembering locations. The game's performance is not good. There is plenty mentioned about this, by many people in the Steam forums if you are curious. At the highest quality and resolution, in rooms populated with many enemies, there will be severe slowdowns effecting the gameplay to the point of loss of health and deaths being blamed on this serious problem. The only way to remedy this is to set the detail quality and resolution lower, and then experiment with the changes. The keys are fixed, and you will not be able to rebind them. This is a problem for me, as I am not accustomed to using WASD to move. As you progress through the game each time, you will unlock different characters with specific statistics and abilities. The Binding of Isaac is hard, even given its roguelike characteristic. As I write this, I have played and died a total of 68 times, and only reached the final boss three times (dying in that battle as well). Needless to say, this is an incredibly difficult game, mostly because of its roguelike and retro nature. With that said, the genre is exemplified perfectly with The Binding of Isaac. It is a game that you keep installed for the long run, going back to it every so often in hopes that you will finally be able to beat it. Just like in the old days of the original roguelikes. Expand
  11. Feb 5, 2013
    This is one unique game, playing like the original zelda but in my opinion far better. This game requires hours upon hours to see everything. It took me 10 hours to beat the game due to it's brutal difficulty. However despite being challenging it rarely feels unfair and whenever you die it's never due to the controls. It does somewhat rely on luck due to you needing some good items toThis is one unique game, playing like the original zelda but in my opinion far better. This game requires hours upon hours to see everything. It took me 10 hours to beat the game due to it's brutal difficulty. However despite being challenging it rarely feels unfair and whenever you die it's never due to the controls. It does somewhat rely on luck due to you needing some good items to stand a chance on the later floors. The animation is fantastic and genuinely weird. The designs of the monsters are extremely unique and the items all have cool effects. This is a great game to just open up and play for half an hour if your bored or need a break from work. I can see why people don't enjoy this game but for me this is a near perfect game. Expand
  12. Feb 2, 2014
    Playing again and again until you do not finish your evil christian mom. Surprisingly, it is not boring and repetitive, it is challenging. The world is randomly generated so your game is never the same. Nice graphics and soundtrack, a lot of different creatures and interesting boss fights.
  13. Nov 7, 2012
    Quite luck-based, I'll admit, and yet addicting, fun and definitely not a no-brainer as it might look. Gamers often complain about repetitiveness, non-replayability, preaching about dynamic gameplay and whatnot... if you are going to complain about this game as well, you might as well stop playing any game. It's giving you everything you ever wanted!
  14. Jan 22, 2013
    Addictive. The game got me hooked for hours just playing and playing it through. Despite having some difficulty spikes, the game is still adorable, simple and you just can't stop playing it! Though, I feel the price does not justify the purchase of this game
  15. May 28, 2014
    Pretty awesome though quite sick occasionally. Though I find it unplayable with anyone other than Cain.

The programer is occasionally spotty (java, man oh man) and bugs have gone unfixed (some items apparently do nothing..?) but I really do enjoy this one.
  16. Nov 30, 2011
    Horrifically morbid, depressing, sad, shocking, funny and hellishly enjoyable. This game is damn hard to get anywhere successfully showing it's rogue-like and Zelda elements. Incredibly budget, but it is a cheap indie game after all. Certainly worth picking up and giving ago, even if it is just to see how dark the game is.
  17. Mar 16, 2017
    Think this game is a brilliant execution of randomly generated perma death game were you slowly unlock more and more randomly element each play through.

It has a strong comedy horror theme for enemies and items which is humorous and a nostalgia towards many early game classics like super mario and zelda which i can only assume the creators has grown up with as it permeates the whole game.

Think a large part of its success isnt just how good mechanically it is but also the nostalgia effect it has, but it has a solid game as its basis that gets deeper and more random the longer you play and the more you unlock.
    It is very hard though and even after hundred of games im hardly even likely to finish the game each time through no matter how serious i try.

If i had a hat id want to take it off and give a bow to the developers for making this with a tiny resources im not big on indie games but this one blew me away.
  18. Oct 1, 2011
    It's like Zelda 1, crossed with super meat boy, its hard to imagine this not being absolutely amazing. I suggest you buy the album version, as the music is epic
  19. Oct 2, 2011
    If Edmund McMillen had a time machine and went back to the 80s-90s he'd be the most prized game designer [bold statement I know].... he doesn't just create killer 2D games that make you remember the good ol' days, he creates classic-style games with originality that I've never seen. The way you can feel about a cult movie or punk rock music is what he has infused into his games. His gamesIf Edmund McMillen had a time machine and went back to the 80s-90s he'd be the most prized game designer [bold statement I know].... he doesn't just create killer 2D games that make you remember the good ol' days, he creates classic-style games with originality that I've never seen. The way you can feel about a cult movie or punk rock music is what he has infused into his games. His games seems like they were created on Psilocybin.

This game is always mentioned with it's price, and I assume that bolsters a more lenient rating... I find that unfortunate because this game has more personality and "balls" then most games have the funding to allow. The Binding of Isaac will take a few play-throughs to get the gist of how it operates, afterwards you'll find yourself craving more and more. At first I didn't like that you couldn't save, and the idea of a self-generating dungeon didn't sound that cool... until I played this gem. I don't feel that is its selling point, the power-ups are that selling point. Each dungeon has a gold room in which you obtain a power-up... and you'll scramble immediately to find this room to see what hidden treasure awaits. The power-ups are fantastic; for example, you can join a demon cult, have a tag-a-long dead baby (brother or sister), spit pee (instead of tears as you start with) amongst many others that I have yet to discover. Each dungeon and each play will give you something new, and not only that you can couple and stack your power-ups. Power-ups affect your appearance, your ammo, and your special attacks. Some complain about keyboard controls, me being a console-only gamer after about 5 games the control setup became a breeze. Don't let this game pass you up if you grew up appreciating any 2D games. The replay value is the highest I've encountered. Add that it's about religion and how ridiculous that is... well... I'm sold.
  20. Oct 7, 2011
    This game is just about perfect. It's priced on its length -- I don't think you can criticize a 3-6 hour time of gameplay with a $5 price tag. This game is definitely not short on content within those few hours, however, and it's never tedious. NPCs are diverse, but never "too" difficult (not that you probably won't die a few times completing the game the first time). Each play-through isThis game is just about perfect. It's priced on its length -- I don't think you can criticize a 3-6 hour time of gameplay with a $5 price tag. This game is definitely not short on content within those few hours, however, and it's never tedious. NPCs are diverse, but never "too" difficult (not that you probably won't die a few times completing the game the first time). Each play-through is different, and each time, you learn new mechanics, new items, and new secrets - which is much the same draw as Nethack. There's never a shortage of novelty - you don't get into a "groove" of hitting the same buttons under the same conditions -- there's NO grinding because after entering one semi-randomly-generated room, the shooting mechanic could dramatically change. The review faulting it for "cartoon gore" and being depressing is a bit obscene. It's so cartoonish and absurd, the idea that you can fault its liberalism with gore compared to the gore in a game as Modern Warfare, where you're shooting at representations of much more lifelike people, is silly. The story is witty, and surprisingly well-done considering how short and non-linear the game is. Most important about this game is its achievement of creating a non-linear roguelike which FLOWS. Everything flows very well -- nothing feels clunky, and having power-ups affect how your character looks (often in ways you wouldn't expect) is a great addition. Addicting, mysterious, and an enjoyable diversion, the game is well-worth the low price tag, and an experience I won't soon be forgetting (something I can't say for the $50+ generic brown FPS games I've played).

I'm deducting a point for the vagina-anus monster, however. That was just wrong on all levels.
  21. Jul 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A little game with some really good working dark humor. It's very difficult but that's what makes it lasts for soo long. Very addictive game with a high replay rate. Expand
  22. Oct 1, 2013
    An amazing dungeon crawler. The game has the difficulty without being horribly unfun. The game adds a lot of replay value through its unlock system. This game is being remade outside of Java, so we will expect a lot more out of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.
  23. Nov 28, 2011
    Utterly hard.. but how much fun! This is a kind of game in which you will die a lot. Mastering it will take some time, but it's also pretty enjoyable. Overall randomness makes it all very tempting... to try another time and see what you'll come up with. Random levels, random powerups, random bosses.. You can't beat this game unless you will be ready for EVERY outcome. There's no saves, noUtterly hard.. but how much fun! This is a kind of game in which you will die a lot. Mastering it will take some time, but it's also pretty enjoyable. Overall randomness makes it all very tempting... to try another time and see what you'll come up with. Random levels, random powerups, random bosses.. You can't beat this game unless you will be ready for EVERY outcome. There's no saves, no checkpoints. No easy ways. This is why it keeps you in front of your screen - it's really challenging;) .. And after you beat all 6 levels, there's at least two bonus ones. Not mention the unlockable characters. Only one complain - it's a flash game and flash games have their issues. Oh, well. Go play it. Expand
  24. Jun 26, 2012
    What do you get when you cross a roguelike with the original Legend of Zelda, and throw in the twisted style of Edmund McMillen? The Binding of Issac is the answer to this bizarre question, the result is a surprising satisfying experience. Each play through of the randomly generated dungeon will include a different combination of rooms, crazy loot and bosses. The game starts out veryWhat do you get when you cross a roguelike with the original Legend of Zelda, and throw in the twisted style of Edmund McMillen? The Binding of Issac is the answer to this bizarre question, the result is a surprising satisfying experience. Each play through of the randomly generated dungeon will include a different combination of rooms, crazy loot and bosses. The game starts out very easy in the early levels, but the difficulty ramps up quickly. The game is pretty short, but new items are unlocked by playing, giving it a lot of replay value. The music is excellent, although McMillen's art style is a bit of an acquired taste. Overall, it's a fun little game for a cheap price. Expand
  25. Nov 2, 2011
    Pretty good game for $5. Simple and easy to get the hang of, but really hard! It's worth looking into if you want a shooter rpg type of game with a unique atmosphere.
  26. Nov 14, 2013
    Essentially a game that lasts forever. For $5 dollars, you get countless hours of fun. The game has you rely a lot on luck, which can be frustrating, but it works for the most part. A few slowdowns, even on powerful machines, due to flash. Still great worth the low, low price!
  27. Oct 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic little game. Cheap and tons of hours of game play. I like the graphics, the crazy no-holds barred humor and the challenge of doing everything. I play little flash games like this while listening to audio books or youtube all the time, I cannot keep my concentration only listening while doing nothing, I get overly bored. After you beat the game, there is new features, new challenges, new characters, bosses, items, rooms, enemies, bonuses, secrets, and all those new challenges, new characters, bosses, items, rooms, enemies, bonuses, secrets can unlock new challenges, new characters, bosses, items, rooms, enemies, bonuses and secrets.

You get the point. I can copy and paste quite a bit to fulfill my 5000 character obligation, but I won't, cuz I have sum games waiting. Ciao!
  28. Oct 28, 2013
    Another great indie game that has a lot of achievements to fulfill and is by no means a walk in the park, TBoI and its DLC counterpart make a great, yet fairly simple game where there are many combinations of items you can find that can make you either extremely powerful or make that round extremely difficult.
  29. Jun 5, 2014
    Fantastic game, as long as you're okay with some gross dark humor. It's hard at first, but get in the zone and you'll be playing this for a lot longer than intended. If you're a classic Legend of Zelda fan, you'll appreciate this game even more. I like it because it's incredibly fun for long or short periods of time.
  30. Jan 5, 2013
    The most addicting game I've ever played. I can't put this game down. If you see me on my laptop, 9/10 times I'm playing this game. It's so wonderfully dark, creepy, and just plain amusing. For being a flash game, some of these monsters really do scare the hell out of me. The music for this game is absolutely wonderful as well. The replay value of this game is very high, the randomlyThe most addicting game I've ever played. I can't put this game down. If you see me on my laptop, 9/10 times I'm playing this game. It's so wonderfully dark, creepy, and just plain amusing. For being a flash game, some of these monsters really do scare the hell out of me. The music for this game is absolutely wonderful as well. The replay value of this game is very high, the randomly generated dungeons, items, and monsters are a blast to find. My only complaint is once I find a really nice item that gets me far in the game, after I've died I can almost never find it again. The best part about this game is that it's super cheap, and Steam has sales on it all the time. Sometimes you can get it for under a dollar. This is one of my favorite games there is. Expand
  31. Feb 6, 2014
    A great "five more minutes game". I'll just try it one more time. Oh, I almost made it to the womb. OK, I gotta try again. Oh, I unlocked a new item. Better go look for that.

There is no stopping this game.
  32. Jan 31, 2016
    Small dungeon crawler with roguelike elements. You play as a small child Isaac in nightmarish semi-random basement levels fighting some really disturbing monsters. You can develop Isaac's speed, health and damage by finding various power-ups (there is A LOT of these).

Beware, the game is difficult, but very addictive. A full playthrough takes about 30-45 minutes, but usually you get killed before you reach the final level. It took me almost 10 hours to complete the game for the first time.

Side note: game features child abuse and a lot of disturbing gore/violence including blood, intestines, urine, feces.

But to sum up, it's really worth playing (especially at sale prices below $0.99). It's addictive, has a spooky atmosphere and completing the game is rewarding.

GRAPHICS: 8/10
    AUDIO: 8/10
    GAMEPLAY: 7/10
    STORY: 8/10
  33. Aug 7, 2014
    A lot of companies should learn form this game. First lest have biblical references, mix it with dark humor in a childrish style of graphics, an awesome dungeon crawler gameplay and BOOM you get TBoI. Also the DLC is amazing and such references to the original sin, king Midas, Satan, the hangwire reresenting blasphemy... this game is so sinful and disgusting that I love it.
  34. Jan 17, 2012
    This game is really striking, visually strange, "disgusting" and impressive. The sound effects are very rare, making a spectacular audiovisual setting, including some really good soundtracks. It's very addictive and is one of the games more replay value there (Over 10 endings, items, monsters, powers, and many other things unlockable in each game), adding secrets / accomplishments andThis game is really striking, visually strange, "disgusting" and impressive. The sound effects are very rare, making a spectacular audiovisual setting, including some really good soundtracks. It's very addictive and is one of the games more replay value there (Over 10 endings, items, monsters, powers, and many other things unlockable in each game), adding secrets / accomplishments and updates on the way. It is based in the "Roguelike", ie when they die or leave the game you have to start again, but keep all records obtained things logically. It's really a strange jewel addictive and absolutely worth a try. Expand
  35. Nov 18, 2012
    Awesome game. It's so addictive I mean it was until I got platinum god and that took like over 80 hours to get that. There are so many different items, every run is different, nice music and yeah. This game can be kinda tough at first but soon you'll learn all the tricks and controls can be hard too at first. Game is luck based but I think that's awesome. Great game overall and it's so cheap.
  36. Mar 31, 2013
    The game is cheap at about $5 and it always seems to stay interesting when you find a new item or enter the next room. Though it does tend to get boring after awhile, but you will at least need to spend a good 32 hours before it gets boring. And I can't help coming back and playing it again time to time.
  37. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't get the low scores for this game. People saying this game is repetitive and has boring gameplay are so wrong. This is a very challenging game, yes, but if you rely on your items, you are surely a very lazy gamer, and one that has missed the entire point of this game. Binding of Isaac is an absolutely amazing game. I was so frustrated with this game when I first played it, and I actually felt like just stop playing it after the first hour or so. But when I first got used to the enemies, bosses and trololol bombs, I really began enjoying it. The bosses are fun and varied, most of the mini-bosses are really entertaining and rewarding. Rewarding is the word for this game. Instead of going with the flow like every other game out there, this game actually rewards you when you should be rewarded. When you complete the game for the first time, you find out that the boss isn't really the real final boss, and you have to fight even harder to complete it. In this game you really feel like you are rewarded for what you do. Over a hundred items are available in this game, and there are a ton of combinations for these. No save points in this game! This ups the game difficulty to a level at which most gamers are not able to cope with. If you are a soft-core gamer, do not play this game. If you are up for a challenge. Thumbs up! Expand
  38. Sep 6, 2012
    The game is very well made, has a lot of pop culture references, you can see the inspiration in this game from other games like Legend of Zelda and overall it is very fun.
    The game is quite short but it has loads of replay value and it is very challenging.
    You have many many many upgrades that change your: Look, strength, speed and there is also a nice selection of characters. It's
    It's almost like a completely new game every time you play.
    It's a lot of fun and it's only $4.99.
    I personally recommend this game very much.
    Also, don't play before dinner.
  39. Aug 16, 2012
    I just couldn't get enough. I played it and played it. the pseudo creepy characters were fun but tough. I loved the random mapping and I knew that I could always play through in about an hour. I made just over 100 full trips before the expansion came out. I had to do about 100 to get all the items. But I loved every one and my four year old daughter loved to watch and tell me what to do next, too!
  40. Nov 18, 2011
    I've logged about 22 hours in Binding of Isaac in a little over a week, and I can safely say that not only is this game incredibly fun it's also very addicting. The replay value is endless, and even after having completed it a few times the randomized nature of every game makes it so that it's not boring in the slightest to play through again (plus, new rewards unlocked for each subsequentI've logged about 22 hours in Binding of Isaac in a little over a week, and I can safely say that not only is this game incredibly fun it's also very addicting. The replay value is endless, and even after having completed it a few times the randomized nature of every game makes it so that it's not boring in the slightest to play through again (plus, new rewards unlocked for each subsequent completion). Highly recommended to anyone interested in this type of game. Expand
  41. Dec 11, 2011
    This is an excellent game. It's nothing much, but for what it is, it is top notch. A lot of the negative reviewers are A) Hate it because it was developped in part by Edmund McMillan (a creator of Super Meat Boy) or B) don't quite seem to understand that Edmund wasn't TRYING to make a blockbuster game, just a fun, little time waster. Seriously, I've stacked many hours on this game, notThis is an excellent game. It's nothing much, but for what it is, it is top notch. A lot of the negative reviewers are A) Hate it because it was developped in part by Edmund McMillan (a creator of Super Meat Boy) or B) don't quite seem to understand that Edmund wasn't TRYING to make a blockbuster game, just a fun, little time waster. Seriously, I've stacked many hours on this game, not because it was some epic, ultra-game, but because it was fun. Take it at face value, people. It's a 5 dollar game made to chew up just a little bit of your time when you're bored, not meant to consume your entire day. Anyways, as for the game itself, it's a roguelike, top-down dungeon crawler that follows Isaac, a young boy escaping his religious mother in a basement full of monsters. You must then try and survive and, ultimately, destroy your mother. The game generates a new set of dungeons and assigns new unlockables each time you play, so your experience will always differ. It is also worth noting that the soundtrack is top-notch, and the soundtrack version should be purchased, especially when it's only 89 cents. Expand
  42. Jan 19, 2012
    I am actually surprised by how good this game is, it did not look that good at the begggining but after a few hours I noticed how great the game is, it is random and fun.
  43. Nov 9, 2011
    The best deal (prize) i ever made ...i bouth it on steam for 5 euro and already played around 75 hours ! It´s charming and humourous,although the main reason to play this game on a nd on is testing the dozens of different randomly given items amd to chieve every damn achievemt in this game...it´s great...the story is thrown at you in a few sentences,the graphicsThe best deal (prize) i ever made ...i bouth it on steam for 5 euro and already played around 75 hours ! It´s charming and humourous,although the main reason to play this game on a nd on is testing the dozens of different randomly given items amd to chieve every damn achievemt in this game...it´s great...the story is thrown at you in a few sentences,the graphics are nothing phenomenal nor anything like that as you can see in screenshots,and the sound is nothing more than ok...but somehow the gameplay,even if its as simple as pressing for keys for walking,4 keys for shooting in different angles adn space for the use of items it always gets me back playing this game... Expand
  44. Sep 30, 2013
    If you don't like fast paced roguelike games then just stay away. If you're expecting something similar to Zelda then..... idk actually look at the gamepage??? This game lives up to everything it displays, and goes over and beyond that. I went in expecting a little rogueish game i could play for a min then leave, but 2 hours later I had a very different opinion. Fun, fast, coqed up in theIf you don't like fast paced roguelike games then just stay away. If you're expecting something similar to Zelda then..... idk actually look at the gamepage??? This game lives up to everything it displays, and goes over and beyond that. I went in expecting a little rogueish game i could play for a min then leave, but 2 hours later I had a very different opinion. Fun, fast, coqed up in the head, and functional, and in terms of story? Its about a little kid whos messed up in the head, simple as can be. Expand
  45. Sep 6, 2012
    bought the game steam sale. The original "Binding" and the DLC "Wrath of the Lamb" for something about 3 bucks. Wow, what a game! I played more then 40 hours. There are still new sides to discover in that game. It's very highly re-playable. It's worth every penny, really.
  46. Jan 8, 2013
    An absolutely brilliant and well-polished game with very nice core mechanics and a fantastic art style. Only problem: THE DIFFICULTY IS FREAKING ABNORMAL. Seriously, I have died so many times that the number of deaths I have equals the number of times I was sent to detention in school, meaning a lot. Psuedo-9.5/10
  47. Jul 10, 2014
    this game is so cool. the first 1 hour of playing it like me you will have no idea what is going on. but after 3 hours of gameplay the game becomes unique. and its only 5 pounds. must buy.
  48. Dec 27, 2011
    If your age is below 25 then don't buy this game (unless you are a retro gamer). it is purely a blast from the past. This is one of the better retro games that I have played.
  49. Aug 31, 2013
    The binding of Isaac... A stellar little steam game. Well worth the 7 odd dollars with the expansion. MY main attraction to this game was the dark and religious element to the game. ITs very unique in its neo-gothical revision of Christianity. I also very much enjoyed the randomness of every game and getting items. Getting items is the real opiate of the game which makes it so worth while.The binding of Isaac... A stellar little steam game. Well worth the 7 odd dollars with the expansion. MY main attraction to this game was the dark and religious element to the game. ITs very unique in its neo-gothical revision of Christianity. I also very much enjoyed the randomness of every game and getting items. Getting items is the real opiate of the game which makes it so worth while. The designers here have done great work and I hope to see more from them in the future. As for Isaac.... Shell out the cash for this one, its fun on breaks and lunch. Expand
  50. Oct 4, 2011
    I absolutely love this game, its simple concept make it a breeze to play through but sharp controls and an amazing collection of items as well as the random dungeons you end up with on each playthrough make this ultimately replayable. The fact that it only costs a fiver is just icing on the cake, there's not many games out there that provide such huge playtimes with so little a cost. Buy this !
  51. Sep 30, 2011
    This game is awesome, awesome, and more awesome. Obviously the previous guy who rated this a 2 just doesn't "get" the appeal of this kind of game. It's based on an old model of PC gaming (called roguelike) where you die once and the game is over--completely. There are no saves, no continue spots--you're dead and you have to start all over. But that's exactly what makes this game soThis game is awesome, awesome, and more awesome. Obviously the previous guy who rated this a 2 just doesn't "get" the appeal of this kind of game. It's based on an old model of PC gaming (called roguelike) where you die once and the game is over--completely. There are no saves, no continue spots--you're dead and you have to start all over. But that's exactly what makes this game so damn addictive! I have the Battlefield 3 beta on my computer and I've barely played it because The Binding of Isaac is sucking up all of my time. Because every playthrough is completely randomly generated and you'll never play the same levels twice, dying is not a big deal. Death feels the same way it feels in Super Meat Boy; you die, and die, and die again--but you get better each time, and it makes you want to start the game right back up again. Like SMB it's a throwback to a time long ago when you needed actual skill and quick reflexes to complete a game, and it's precisely that which makes it so appealing to me. Oh...that and the absolutely awesome and hilarious abilities and powerups, which I definitely wouldn't want to spoil here. The game is full of surprises and has a very dark tone about it, feeling like a mix between The Legend of Zelda and Splatterhouse. The fact that it's only 5 bucks doesn't hurt either, but it shouldn't give you any indication of the quality of the game. I've paid 50-60 bucks for games that weren't nearly as fun as this. Just buy it, play it, and enjoy some excellent old-meets-new gaming for less than the cost of a sandwich. Expand
  52. Jun 13, 2012
    Great game at a $5 price. Cute little animated movies, creepy monsters, awesome power-ups and hours of playing. This is what some people call "rogue-like" which is just where you spawn into a world, try to get as far as you can and if you die; well, you have to start over from the beginning. I'm not that type of player, although I do challenge myself sometimes and play games that are likeGreat game at a $5 price. Cute little animated movies, creepy monsters, awesome power-ups and hours of playing. This is what some people call "rogue-like" which is just where you spawn into a world, try to get as far as you can and if you die; well, you have to start over from the beginning. I'm not that type of player, although I do challenge myself sometimes and play games that are like this. (like on Minecraft/Hardcore mode) Enjoyable game and a moderately-high playback, meaning you'll wanna keep playing this game over and over again. Expand
  53. Jun 16, 2012
    good game for its value. This is probably one of the indie games that I spent most of the time playing due to its replayability. Everytime I start a new game, I always hope to find a new item. This game's level randomization plus a vast array of item upgrades makes you want to play over and over again.

If you are not offended by the theme of the game and focus on Gameplay, well, this game might be for you.
  54. Nov 12, 2016
    This game is addictive as hell. For a simple concept and a simple idea the amount of fun you can have with this game is extraordinary.

It has lovable characters and a soundtrack (by Danny Baranowsky) which quickly became one of my favourites, There is a lot of replay value in this game and theres a lot of collectibles to discover which will help you get through the game. And as for

There is a lot of replay value in this game and theres a lot of collectibles to discover which will help you get through the game. And as for the story, as simple as it is, it has a charm to it which makes it rather unforgettable.
  55. Jun 8, 2012
    If you are a fan of Zelda and twisted, black humor, than this is THE game for you. While the game can seem repetitive from a distance, it actually holds an immense amount of replayability. There are dozens of items and many bosses that you won't see on just one play through. In order to see everything that "Isaac" has to offer, you would have to play it at least sixty times due to theIf you are a fan of Zelda and twisted, black humor, than this is THE game for you. While the game can seem repetitive from a distance, it actually holds an immense amount of replayability. There are dozens of items and many bosses that you won't see on just one play through. In order to see everything that "Isaac" has to offer, you would have to play it at least sixty times due to the game's rogue-like aspect. When you die, you cannot just reload back to the beginning of the level. You have to start over. But that's the beauty of this game. The game's length is balanced perfectly, so that even if you die when you were so close to beating it, you'll still want to start over and not have a care in the world. Sure the game has a lot of biblical references and it doesn't necessarily treat those references with respect, but if you can get past the bucket-loads of poop, tears and blood and actually see the humor in it all, you're good to go. My only problem is that the game suffers from bad fps on some computers. My other computer AND my friend's computer are both high-end pieces of hardware, yet "Isaac" runs terribly. Not sure why this is, but it's still playable (sometimes...) and it's a steal for only five bucks. Thanks for reading, Signed: Culture F. Expand
  56. Apr 29, 2013
    Binding of Isaac is a great game that you'll never get bored of and never have the same run twice! It looks simple but plays allot more complex. The Art style and Story is what you expect from Edmund McMillen, Creepy but simply amazing. Like Super Meat boy, this game is quite difficult for inexperienced players and may make you rage allot due to dying and restarting the game from theBinding of Isaac is a great game that you'll never get bored of and never have the same run twice! It looks simple but plays allot more complex. The Art style and Story is what you expect from Edmund McMillen, Creepy but simply amazing. Like Super Meat boy, this game is quite difficult for inexperienced players and may make you rage allot due to dying and restarting the game from the beginning.

I have a load of games on my PC, but The Binding of Isaac is at the top for most time played. This game is really enjoyable and makes the player really want to finish the game! You can pick up this game on Steam for a couple of pounds and highly recommend picking it up.
  57. May 11, 2013
    Incredibly fun game. It has an insane amount of replay value as the combination of weapons are endless. It's dauntingly difficult at first, but once you get more familiar with the controls, enemy movements, and the gameplay mechanics, it becomes a lot more enjoyable. I poured days into this game, I've gotten the absolute final achievement, but I keep playing this game. Every new game isIncredibly fun game. It has an insane amount of replay value as the combination of weapons are endless. It's dauntingly difficult at first, but once you get more familiar with the controls, enemy movements, and the gameplay mechanics, it becomes a lot more enjoyable. I poured days into this game, I've gotten the absolute final achievement, but I keep playing this game. Every new game is literally a new game. You'll never know what item you'll get on the first floor, and what kind of unique combination it'll have with the item you get on the second. Expand
  58. Sep 12, 2013
    I first played this for an hour or so and felt amazed at how silly and shallow it was. "why is this game so popular" I said to myself. Then I came back and found a little more, again and again. Eventually, after learning the ropes and getting deeper into the dungeon, I realized how rich and weird and *fun* this game is. Really a smashing success, a small success maybe, but tons of fun.I first played this for an hour or so and felt amazed at how silly and shallow it was. "why is this game so popular" I said to myself. Then I came back and found a little more, again and again. Eventually, after learning the ropes and getting deeper into the dungeon, I realized how rich and weird and *fun* this game is. Really a smashing success, a small success maybe, but tons of fun. Spent a couple of days in my office playing this on the sly, just couldn't put it down! Expand
  59. Jan 6, 2015
    Simply an amazing game. Everything from the "Story" to the Gameplay had me enjoying the entire experience from beginning to end. I took this game on the road with me everywhere I went if I could, simple small and fun.

Randomized dungeons every play. Randomized items with a huge variety, changing the overall experience with each play through. Aesthetic preferences aside, this game delivers. Difficult and challenging for a beginner perhaps, but it's a game that requires some skill. Refreshing to see in this day and age of ours. Worth the very very very miniscule price tag that completely undervalues the product.

I'm pretty sure I've bought this game more than twice.
  60. Jul 2, 2012
    Great game, check it out when on steam specials. It can get repetative, as the no-save system means redoing levels frequently. However, levels are randomly generated, so this keeps things interesting. Definately best with it's expansion. The amount of items is great for such a small game. Well worth it, you could do a lot worse.
  61. May 18, 2013
    I will try to keep this short. This game is so hard, yet so addictive. For it's ABNORMALLY low price, it will keep you entertained for way over 50 HOURS at LEAST. One of the best, if not the best rogue-like shooter I have ever played.
  62. May 13, 2013
    After playing a game like Super Meat Boy, I wondered just how screwed up in the head Edmund was for making such a game that had no right being so amazing. "What could he think of next?" I would ask. The answer I got was disturbing but oh so pleasing, The Binding of Isaac. This game is as creepy and mental as the trailer leads it on to be. You fight demonic entities, decapitated bodies,After playing a game like Super Meat Boy, I wondered just how screwed up in the head Edmund was for making such a game that had no right being so amazing. "What could he think of next?" I would ask. The answer I got was disturbing but oh so pleasing, The Binding of Isaac. This game is as creepy and mental as the trailer leads it on to be. You fight demonic entities, decapitated bodies, giant worms, biblical figures, mirror copies yourself (it's complicated), and other abominations throughout the game while keeping a consistent tone for the most part. It can get comical how outrageous this game gets. References, scenes, and power-ups lighten the tone slightly as the game gets weirder and weirder. As you play, you get more characters, more bosses, and even make the game harder. There are lots of endings to spare as well as power-ups to find and unlock. The game evokes a feeling of satisfaction whenever I play it, giving me a great experience. The game is hard however, so you may wanna be careful. If I personally have one complaint, it's the engine. Flash is an engine that, in my opinion, isn't much more complex than the wheel. It's just as primative too. For the most part, the engine behaves, but lag, bugs, and worse can happen without a moment's notice. But I feel all this is fair considering a game that kicks THIS much ass is only $5. I love this game. Go buy it. Expand
  63. Jun 29, 2012
    I was curious what was the big fuss about this game so I purchased it. When you see the trailer it doesn't promise you much, basically you go through rooms and kill different type of monsters. This is only the surface. As you spend more and more time with Isaac, you start to feel that you are in a very deep game, which continues to surprise you even after 30+ hours. You have to go throughI was curious what was the big fuss about this game so I purchased it. When you see the trailer it doesn't promise you much, basically you go through rooms and kill different type of monsters. This is only the surface. As you spend more and more time with Isaac, you start to feel that you are in a very deep game, which continues to surprise you even after 30+ hours. You have to go through dungeons without dying and it's not an easy task. To complete the game you'll need to learn how to deal with the different monsters, how to preserve your resources and you'll also need to make a lot of strategic decisions. If you die, you start over. Luck also plays a heavy role which sometimes can be frustrating. It's possible to go through the game with weak items and powers, but a lot harder than with all the good stuff. So completion is not just the matter of skill in my opinion. I think the art style is great, it's simple but also very appealing if you can appreciate the bizarre and grotesque. It's not for everyone. Some may even feel disgusted. The only downside I can think of, is the time consuming nature of the game. It's hard to put it down if you get the hang of it. Expand
  64. May 28, 2012
    This game is meant to be frustrating/hard/unexplained, because of these this game makes you feel like you achieved something when you do it right. I'm close to 100%ing the game with 44 hours under my belt, it has by far the best game I've bought for $1.50
  65. Aug 15, 2013
    This is the kind of game in which you say "I'll just do a quick run" then find yourself sinked in it for hours. The random aspect of it makes it feel fresh even after several hours of play and the difficult keep increasing as the power you can get. I may say, some of the rooms are plain frustrating cause you don't have space to dodge unless you have a fly upgrade, but that's not dramatic,This is the kind of game in which you say "I'll just do a quick run" then find yourself sinked in it for hours. The random aspect of it makes it feel fresh even after several hours of play and the difficult keep increasing as the power you can get. I may say, some of the rooms are plain frustrating cause you don't have space to dodge unless you have a fly upgrade, but that's not dramatic, that kind of room isn't that common. Despite being random, if you play well you usually get an erray of upgrades good enough to fight till the end. And this is the best part of it, a lot of the upgrades play in synergy with each other so every time you play you can end up with very different results. Sadly there are some items that are just useless and don't work well with anything else, but are not a lot. Creepy and funny. Expand
  66. Nov 12, 2015
    £3? Bargain of the year. Basic, but great fun the game is weird and challenging in perfect amounts. Not one for the kids (even though poo wee and sick are the main themes)
  67. Oct 28, 2014
    Do NOT listen to debigman, he is very wrong.
    And I find it kind of funny saying that barely anybody could get the achievements, yet Steam owners of Half Life 2 only 35% of them have beaten the first level. Anyway, here's my Steam review copied and pasted because I'm too lazy to type it all out again:
    Do NOT listen to debigman, he is very wrong.

The Binding of Isaac is a great example of a game which can both be simple and highly enjoyable. The game is very easy to get into and you'll be kicking butt right from the start, due to what weapons you'll get. The control is pretty straight forward, but not as good as it could be since I may accidently use items when I want to move. The difficulty from this game depends on which items you'll pick up along the way. With the Wrath of the Lamb DLC, it's even better than before. Gameplay wise, it sort of depends on which character you like to use. I use Cain for nice speed, having one of the better ingame attack stats and decent HP. The downsides for this game is the fact you can get bad items and how annoying it is trying to unlock some other items in the game. But the good outweighs the bad a lot and I would definitly pick up Wrath of the Lamb DLC to increase the amount of content.
    Graphic wise, I enjoy looking at the 16-bit style of this game and it looks pretty clean. And the music just kicks ass. I still can't get it out of my head!

The game is definitly worth $5. Probably one of the best $5 you'll ever spend, I actually wouldn't mind paying $10 or $15 dollars for this game! Or for free. I got it as a gift from my friend HonestCharlie. But seriously, the game is THAT good that you wouldn't care how much it costs. I would have given this a 9 if I was counting the DLC, but the normal game isn't quite as good without it so it gets a slightly lower score. Ready for my final verdict?

Gameplay: 9.0
    Control: 7.5
    Graphics: 9.0
    Music: 10.0
    Replayability: 10.0
    Unfairness: 4.0 (the lower the unfairness, the better)

FINAL SCORE: 8.7/10
    FANTASTIC
  68. Nov 14, 2011
    Fun, but really, really grim. Also somewhat difficult when you first start.

So it's a roguelike in that the dungeons are randomly generated, and typically if you die you have to start over. The game's somewhat short, so not being able to save isn't a big deal. Now while the game is short, it has a lot of replay value. The more things you do, the more items you unlock so they have a
    Fun, but really, really grim. Also somewhat difficult when you first start.

Now while the game is short, it has a lot of replay value. The more things you do, the more items you unlock so they have a chance of spawning in future playthroughs. Also more monsters, and new characters to play. There's also another two floors that appear after you "win" once, and then another even harder floor after that.

All in all, I don't really have any complaints. I just wish there was more content, since I think I've unlocked most of it. But Steam says I've played for 20 hours, so I think I got my $5 worth.
  69. Oct 12, 2011
    A couple of weeks after the release of The Binding of Isaac, it has become the game I love to hate. It's clunky, ugly and annoying, but there's something so irrisistible about it, I can't seem to stop playing. I really enjoy it, but I don't always understand why. Isaac is a very random game. That must be said right from the start. There will be times when you're struggling through roomA couple of weeks after the release of The Binding of Isaac, it has become the game I love to hate. It's clunky, ugly and annoying, but there's something so irrisistible about it, I can't seem to stop playing. I really enjoy it, but I don't always understand why. Isaac is a very random game. That must be said right from the start. There will be times when you're struggling through room after room on your very last hit point, and then a sudden change of luck will allow you to progress straight on through the final boss. This same randomness that makes the game compelling can also be its most annoying characteristic. You'll have games when you luck into dozens of coins, and have nothing to spend them on. You'll have games in which you discover room after room of hearts you can't pick up, and nary a bomb or key in sight. The binding of Isaac is nicely balanced, however, and as long as you're willing to keep plugging away, you can be fairly certain your luck will eventually change. Battling through room after room of monsters can grow a bit tedious, and the controls don't exactly help in this regard. Isaac is a "dual-stick" shooter...without the sticks. You can use the keyboard or mouse for shooting, but movement requires the keyboard. It didn't bother me too much, as it apparently justified the hours I spent playing Robotron with a keyboard via MAME, but I could see this being a huge turn off to some players. Simply put, the lack of gamepad support is a bit baffling. The game's use of Flash as a development platform is also a bit odd, and results in regular slowdown, even with just a few enemies and objects on screen. Other technical issues plagued the game at launch, but thankfully those seemed to have been smoothed out, and the developers are even promising new (free) content in the near future.

The Binding of Isaac's style is unique, to say the least. It's gross, cute, creepy and funny, and frankly, it did take me a while to warm up to it. There's just something so ...squishy...about all of it. But that same ugliness makes the game all the more satisfying to beat. It's like an ugly bug that you love stomping on...over and over again. It's addictiveness should not be underestimated. Despite a few minor issues, The Binding of Isaac is a fast, unique and strangely compelling game.
  70. Nov 21, 2011
    i will start by just saying this game is great. it will definitely be on my top ten list of the year. however when i first got this game i agreed with kazan. i was unclear on basically everything, though i slowly began to understand, but for those of you that enjoy dungeon crawlers this game just works. you start without power ups and slowly find better equipment. this is also ani will start by just saying this game is great. it will definitely be on my top ten list of the year. however when i first got this game i agreed with kazan. i was unclear on basically everything, though i slowly began to understand, but for those of you that enjoy dungeon crawlers this game just works. you start without power ups and slowly find better equipment. this is also an incredibly hard game. it's presentation does not lie, with a difficulty this high it must be a friend of satans. Expand
  71. Sep 7, 2012
    Holy cow, I have played a few games in my time that have needlessly driven me over the brink of insanity, but The Binding of Isaac easily takes it's place in the top 10. No game has brought me more frustration than earning a great amount of items and then suddenly losing them in one fell swoop. But therein lies the beauty that is The Binding of Isaac. It teaches you to get out of yourHoly cow, I have played a few games in my time that have needlessly driven me over the brink of insanity, but The Binding of Isaac easily takes it's place in the top 10. No game has brought me more frustration than earning a great amount of items and then suddenly losing them in one fell swoop. But therein lies the beauty that is The Binding of Isaac. It teaches you to get out of your typical, "I've got lives to spare," gaming lifestyle and treasure those precious hearts at the top of the screen. This game truly requires you to play with precision and speed. In it's simplicity it becomes incredibly difficult! And that is why it's fun! Sure, frustration happens when you build up your hero to his highest stature and it all crumbles before your eyes, but the game restarts and a new adventure begins! If there ever was a game to teach you to learn self-control, the value of life, and how to truly make you a new dungeon experience on every playthrough, it was this game! Add it to your collection! Expand
  72. Aug 28, 2012
    The Binding of Isaac is an interesting case. If you are not a hardcore gamer, then this game is probably not for you, if you are, read on. One of the biggest drawing points to The Binding of Isaac is that fact that no two play throughs are the same, this is good for replayability which I cannot praise enough, it's always good to keep the game interesting so the player doesn't get bored.The Binding of Isaac is an interesting case. If you are not a hardcore gamer, then this game is probably not for you, if you are, read on. One of the biggest drawing points to The Binding of Isaac is that fact that no two play throughs are the same, this is good for replayability which I cannot praise enough, it's always good to keep the game interesting so the player doesn't get bored. This could be said for the multiple endings as well, that is, if they were done properly. Rather than going the traditional route of having your actons affect the outcome of your playthrough the game instead gives you a different ending everytime you complete the game. I feel like this takes away from the replayability because you're not really doing anything different, it's just another run through. Speaking of which there will no doubt be a lot of run throughs. The Binding of Isaac has no checkpoints, savepoints, or even extra lives. When you die you start all over losing all of your progress. At first it makes you just angry enough that you want to keep playing and you'll probably think to yourself "I can beat this!" but then 20 death later it may have you on the verge of rage quitting. That said it may help some players to hear that there are only 8 total levels in the whole game. Now before you start saying "that's too short", let me just clairify a few things. First of all, the amount of time you spend in a level is entirely up to you. You can choose to go straight to the boss or take a second to find any items you can before moving on. Second the levels are like mazes that gradually get more complicated and more difficult to traverse with every passing level so you probably won't notice. Also I should warn you that the game does tend to be rather...disturbing, but one thing that helps to balance things out is the game's cartoony style which is simple yet at times very detailed and I enjoy it. Finally I should point out that this game is being sold at the very low price of $4.99 on Steam, so it's very easy to pick up. Expand
  73. Apr 2, 2013
    With the wrath of the lamb, the 8€ cost of Isaac is still ridiculously cheap. I've played the game for ridiculously long, currently clocking at 84+ hours. Still, the game experience seems to be only enhancing as new items, bosses and areas are introduced. Through skill and tactics the player learns to master different floors, and the process is always swinging from tidious to extremelyWith the wrath of the lamb, the 8€ cost of Isaac is still ridiculously cheap. I've played the game for ridiculously long, currently clocking at 84+ hours. Still, the game experience seems to be only enhancing as new items, bosses and areas are introduced. Through skill and tactics the player learns to master different floors, and the process is always swinging from tidious to extremely enjoyable. The challenge is moderate and the controls are fluent enough, so there is no one to blame for your mistakes.

The roguelike element can be pretty tiring at times, for a run can last almost a full hour. As long as you know what you are doing (or know how to google a item and/or floor guide) Isaac offers a really well balanced and nice retro-like rogue challenge. Its problems have not bothered me during my 84 playing hours, and I still return to it from time to time.
  74. Jun 15, 2013
    I religiously play this game atleast once a day to see if I can finally defeat the final boss. I never succeed, but that's what keeps me coming back for more! each time you play through, the game gets randomized in every aspect. Different enemies, different map layouts, different items, healths, difficulty! almost everything. And I seriously love that aspect in games, it's what keepsI religiously play this game atleast once a day to see if I can finally defeat the final boss. I never succeed, but that's what keeps me coming back for more! each time you play through, the game gets randomized in every aspect. Different enemies, different map layouts, different items, healths, difficulty! almost everything. And I seriously love that aspect in games, it's what keeps gamers coming back for more. The thrill of having the game change when you come back to it. I've clocked up 24 hours of gameplay and I am still finding bosses that I have never fought before! suprises enemies, and items! the game's soundtrack is really nostalgic too, for some reason it reminds me of real old school gaming years. Since this game is also 3£ on steam, it is certainly worth picking up! you will not regret it! Expand
  75. Nov 8, 2013
    Anybody that gives this game a bad review is just crazy. For the price, no other game can compare. It is quite simple, with the player entering rooms of enemies to move to the next floor. This simplicity is followed up with an insane amount of upgrades and depth. The story isn't too compelling, but that really isn't what the game is about. The Binding of Isaac is about going as far asAnybody that gives this game a bad review is just crazy. For the price, no other game can compare. It is quite simple, with the player entering rooms of enemies to move to the next floor. This simplicity is followed up with an insane amount of upgrades and depth. The story isn't too compelling, but that really isn't what the game is about. The Binding of Isaac is about going as far as you can in one run. To put it into perspective, I have spent 39 hours playing this game, the most out of any game I own on steam. It is easily worth the price, and will offer hours of addictive play. A must buy for any gamer. Expand
  76. Nov 9, 2013
    This is an amazing arcade game and it is 100% worth the price! This game does what not many arcade games can do and that is not to be repetitive. Every time you die there will be another randomly generated level for you to play so you don't get bored. The only problem is this game can get extremely frustrating especially as some of the bosses (like Gurdy) are near impossible to beat.
  77. Jun 8, 2012
    I bought this game as it was made by the co-creator of Super Meat Boy, a game I enjoyed a lot, but I wasn't expecting much. 40 hours of gameplay later, here I am, still loving it. This crappy little flash game with abysmal graphics options is so addictive, fun, and difficult that I play it whenever I have any spare time.

The sound is decent, the graphics are pretty bad but have a

The sound is decent, the graphics are pretty bad but have a distinctive style that you don't get bored of, and very fun rogue-like gameplay.
  78. Feb 23, 2012
    I'm not entirely sure why, but I find myself wanting to play this game more often than any other in my Steam library. Perhaps it's its fairly short playtime that doesn't require a ton of free time, or maybe it's its cute design and layout, with a different setup each playthrough. It's a deceptively long game that never seems tedious, though it may cause you to "ragequit" occasionally.
  79. Nov 1, 2011
    this game is actually really fun i thought that it was just going to be some crappy internet game but i was surprised about how much stuff is actually in this game. every time you play it is different because the engine randomizes each level. at first it is hard but then you get used to the controls and it gets a lot easier. everybody who is ratting on the game never really gave it a trythis game is actually really fun i thought that it was just going to be some crappy internet game but i was surprised about how much stuff is actually in this game. every time you play it is different because the engine randomizes each level. at first it is hard but then you get used to the controls and it gets a lot easier. everybody who is ratting on the game never really gave it a try long enough to get the controls. it's a dark creepy cute and scary game Expand
  80. Oct 9, 2011
    This isnt meant to be a massive game that grabs your attention and keeps you hooked but more of a game to keep you entertained for 5 minutes. I love most rogue type games as I like the challenge and that the gameplay changes every game. This is quite a funny little game which random story and evil bad guys tat make you look twice. The game can be very much the same when attacking theThis isnt meant to be a massive game that grabs your attention and keeps you hooked but more of a game to keep you entertained for 5 minutes. I love most rogue type games as I like the challenge and that the gameplay changes every game. This is quite a funny little game which random story and evil bad guys tat make you look twice. The game can be very much the same when attacking the enemy's as not much changes but hey as I said its just there to keep you entertained for 5 mins. I liked it ^^ Expand
  81. Dec 13, 2011
    This cheap title is worth the money as a retro Zelda-like game based on avoiding projectiles and defeating hideous enemies with tears and items. The game really acts as a gamble, though. You could be good at it and die to a blood donation station because you thought you would get higher max health and healing for it. You could also damage yourself with pills that could instead heal you.This cheap title is worth the money as a retro Zelda-like game based on avoiding projectiles and defeating hideous enemies with tears and items. The game really acts as a gamble, though. You could be good at it and die to a blood donation station because you thought you would get higher max health and healing for it. You could also damage yourself with pills that could instead heal you. Bombs, keys, and coins have to be kept in check because the game always throws (wasted) opportunities at you. I have not even got past the second third of a playthrough (there are 6 levels total with soaring difficulty). Expand
  82. Feb 16, 2014
    +Infinite replay value ; every run is different
    +Challanging ; you have to play with what you get
    +Hilarious ; the appearance chance can makes Issac very funny looking

-Might be too difficult for people who're new to the genre
  83. Jun 23, 2013
    In short: It's good. Buy it if you're into rogue-like dungeon crawlers with heavy Legend of Zelda elements.

So I bought this game during a sale where it was $1.24, but originally it's a $5 game. You play as Isaac, a young boy who flees to the depths of his basement after his over religious mother hears God command her to kill her son. From there Isaac must gather powerups and items

You play as Isaac, a young boy who flees to the depths of his basement after his over religious mother hears God command her to kill her son. From there Isaac must gather powerups and items to help him defeat his mother in combat.

So it's simple, and fun. Fun. Well, it's basically the Legend of Zelda (the first one that is) on steroids. It's basically screen to screen rooms, fighting a boss and fighting enemies along the way. After you kill the boss, you can go down another floor, rinse and repeat. It's just addicting, as each floor gets larger and larger, with great boss battles and interesting secrets to be found.
    There are several characters to unlock by doing several little challenges, and each has their own little perks and stats.

There's very few criticisms to think of at time of writing, besides that the game can be a little unforgiving at times. Death and Isaac go hand in hand and you will spend endless hours trying to outdo yourself and your own progress.
    The game has endless replay value and will have you playing for hours and hours.
    The score by Danny Baranowsky is just amazing, the music being unique and great to hear during the time you spend on this game. Credit goes out to him and his skill.

If you like this genre, check out the demo, and if you like that, go ahead and purchase the game.
  84. Nov 20, 2013
    Such a fun game. Lots and lots of replayability. The difficulty though, oh boy. It honestly became a bit tiring after countless of times dying and starting over without beating the game even once. Luckily it has so many different item routes to take, even though in many situations the choices aren't yours to make. And besides, isn't challenge what games like this are all about! VerySuch a fun game. Lots and lots of replayability. The difficulty though, oh boy. It honestly became a bit tiring after countless of times dying and starting over without beating the game even once. Luckily it has so many different item routes to take, even though in many situations the choices aren't yours to make. And besides, isn't challenge what games like this are all about! Very addictive also. I just wish they gave you some more info than just the name about the items you find.
    I'd recommend it to anyone who looks for challenging, fun and long-lasting game experience and doesn't mind the old school looks.
  85. Dec 11, 2013
    Cartoon horrorish art style, dungeons with cruel enemies, random generated levels and ten other reasons why to play Issac. But be careful this is the most dangerous one-more-level-like game.
  86. Nov 8, 2011
    Binding of Issac is the perfect game for me, it has that little dash of it's own humor that every game needs to stand on it's own, and I find the story a fun idea to wrestle with. What starts out as a simple top-down "shooter" becomes a quest to unlock and secret your way through various dungeons on a quest for completion. I would recommend this game even if it cost 15$ because it is just so fun.
  87. Jan 21, 2012
    This is a game from older generation. There is no saves, no hints, no help. You must remember that gives each piece and how it interacts with others. Plus, it's very random, one game may be simple, the other incredibly difficult. But precisely this is the charm of the game. Challenge the player to deal with all its complexities.
    This is very good and captivating game. I will continue to
    This is very good and captivating game. I will continue to ply it until I collect all items)
  88. Nov 5, 2011
    The Binding of Isaac is a fun little Indie game, I had my doubts about this game at first because of the bland story line and the short length of the game but when I played it it was hard to stop. The game was Rogue-Like concept this makes the game much more challenging and addictive. The art of this game is quite simple yet also depressing, its not every day you would play a game with aThe Binding of Isaac is a fun little Indie game, I had my doubts about this game at first because of the bland story line and the short length of the game but when I played it it was hard to stop. The game was Rogue-Like concept this makes the game much more challenging and addictive. The art of this game is quite simple yet also depressing, its not every day you would play a game with a absurd amount of blood, tears and turds but this just portrays how unique and fun it is. The Binding of Isaac randomly spawns the structure of the dungeons, monsters, items, bosses and power-ups for each game play so each play through would bring new challenges. I could rant on about how good this game is, I highly recommend this to newbies or veterans who just want to reminisce. Expand
  89. Nov 21, 2011
    This game is amazing! And for only $5! It starts out hard and a little slow but once you figure out what your doing and really get into it you will have a blast! Theres a bunch of different items and power ups, the bosses are original and have a lot of variety and the graphics aren't perfect but they do the job and they have there own little shine to them. Something that I find interestingThis game is amazing! And for only $5! It starts out hard and a little slow but once you figure out what your doing and really get into it you will have a blast! Theres a bunch of different items and power ups, the bosses are original and have a lot of variety and the graphics aren't perfect but they do the job and they have there own little shine to them. Something that I find interesting about this game is the extreme amount of satanic themes and references. I also love how they took a lot of influence from classic Zelda. Definitely worth the $5. I reccomend this to anyone. Expand
  90. May 3, 2013
    街机闯关风格的迷宫探索游戏,6个关卡因为丰富的随机要素使得次次的游戏体验都会不同。适当的长度,并不刁钻的难度,丰富的搜集要素会令你沉迷好长一段时间。主角丰富的外观变化是个亮点。
  91. Aug 5, 2014
    This game is the most re-playable game that is made and will ever be made. I love this game so much. Sadly, achievements don't work on mac. So much content, that even me, with hundreds of hours of gameplay, have not completed this game 100%.
  92. Mar 16, 2013
    A cheap ,dark zelda styled dungeon crawler mixed with rogue elements with very disturbing themes. Challenging with lots to discover. It can feel a bit unfair in the beginning but you will learn to love it. Lots of replay value, especially with the addon "Wrath of the Lamb"

For fans of very dark humor and who look for a challenge. Not recommended for pious religious people. :p
  93. Oct 9, 2011
    Currently there is an overabundance of very easy games. Constant auto saves and replays make games easy. This is not a part of that scene so it has a learning curve. I've enjoyed it so far. It's $5 and for that price you will get your moneys worth. Polished graphics, music and sound. Unique game-play.
  94. Nov 10, 2011
    A really well made game, except it suffers from the technical issue that probably is due to the flash.
    It also put a lot of stress onto the eyes, which doesn't happen to me except DJ max for 2 hours straight.
  95. May 19, 2012
    It has awesome graphics but the gameplay is very good! Every time you start playing, change the levels, enemies, bosses, items. Have much variety in every way. It is very addictive. Thoroughly recommend it.
  96. Kyo
    Aug 5, 2012
    This is really a fun and amusing game. I usually don't like games like this that give you only one chance to get to the end, if you die in this game you die meaning you have to start all over again, but starting over will give you a different experience. With the 100+ different power ups you will have a new set of abilities each run. Everything is randomized, from the levels, to bosses andThis is really a fun and amusing game. I usually don't like games like this that give you only one chance to get to the end, if you die in this game you die meaning you have to start all over again, but starting over will give you a different experience. With the 100+ different power ups you will have a new set of abilities each run. Everything is randomized, from the levels, to bosses and the power up's with tons of unlockables for even more stuff. You feel a sense of accomplishment when you get to the end of the game, I literally cheered when I beat the last boss which turns out was only one of many end bosses. The first boss kill is only the beginning. Just to watch Isaac's transformation as you get deeper in the basement with all the power up's, can be a site of horror or humor depends on how you take it! :) Expand
  97. Jun 13, 2014
    I am conflicted about what to say about TBoI. On the one hand, I have played it obsessively and found it fun and frustrating in equal turns. Of course, that is how I felt about Edmund McMillen's other smash-hit PC game, Super Meat Boy, and that is one of my favorite independent games. Isaac has a similar sense of humor, though it is even darker, and that could certainly turn some peopleI am conflicted about what to say about TBoI. On the one hand, I have played it obsessively and found it fun and frustrating in equal turns. Of course, that is how I felt about Edmund McMillen's other smash-hit PC game, Super Meat Boy, and that is one of my favorite independent games. Isaac has a similar sense of humor, though it is even darker, and that could certainly turn some people off (but, hey, if you look for two seconds at the game you're purchasing, you should know what to expect). I found most of the grotesquery pretty amusing, but certain things still managed to turn my stomach. The art design and music are both absolutely perfect (I suggest a soundtrack purchase, honestly), and the game feels like a cohesive piece of morbid art. Where it has issues is in the gameplay. Isaac is a rougelike, meaning you progress through randomly generated levels with little foreknowledge of what to expect, little idea of what to do, and when you die, you come all the way back to the start. One of the hallmarks of the rougelike is the typically insane difficulty, and this is due in part to the lack of information given about items, enemies, and the like. I love rougelikes (this game is among the three best on Steam, in my opinion, with Dungeons of Dredmor and FTL filling out the list) for these very elements--it's great, for instance to equip an item, only to learn that it has a high risk-reward factor, and say, "So it's going to be one of THOSE runs"--but I can understand that the high difficulty would again turn some away. Isaac's issues don't come with the randomness, but rather, with the controls. Isaac feels too slippery, especially when you receive speed boosts, and this can lead to many, many "cheap deaths." Also, the game is set in mostly confined rooms, and Isaac's sprite is just too large; his hit box can even grow with certain items, making his life extremely difficult to save. Also, after beating the main boss for the first time (I'll leave them nameless so it can be a surprise), I felt a rush of achievement and exhilaration...only to not get the achievement. I looked it up--certain achievements are a bit glitchy, meaning they could come the next time you open the game, or maybe you might have to just re-achieve them. Oy vey! I purchased the DLC for the game as well, which is a great expansion, but I suggest getting used to the base game first because the DLC is even harder. For what it's worth, if you're ready for the challenge of your life, pick this game up and revel in its silly, macabre humor. Good luck. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, you ought to back away slowly, and pretend you never stumbled into this game. Expand
  98. Oct 26, 2013
    This is possibly the darkest, most brutal, hardest, weirdest game I have ever played. Not everyday can I say I played a pc game in which I am an infant with a fetus attached to my head and a parasite lodged in my skull, trying to kill my mom whilst fighting hordes of mutant spiders and chunks of flesh.

This game is probably not a good idea for people that are grossed-out by video game gore, and the religious references can be offensive to some people.

However, this game is fun as hell but can cause quite a lot of aggravation because of its difficulty. It's a well designed randomly generated dungeon dwelling bullet-hell massacre!
  99. Feb 6, 2014
    Let's talk about Zelda for a second. It was a good game in it's time, and is still addicting and fun today. But I feel like that kind of fun is squandered upon newer, higher- tech games. It's the system of trial-and-error that makes you want to play it for hours on end. And that's what The Binding of Isaac is. There are no saves or checkpoints. It gives you a keyboard and mouse and saysLet's talk about Zelda for a second. It was a good game in it's time, and is still addicting and fun today. But I feel like that kind of fun is squandered upon newer, higher- tech games. It's the system of trial-and-error that makes you want to play it for hours on end. And that's what The Binding of Isaac is. There are no saves or checkpoints. It gives you a keyboard and mouse and says "scratch your ass with this and see what happens". Once you find out that it probably won't do anything, you realize something. You realize that you have, in fact, been scratching your ass the entire time. Or it seems that way because the game is so hard! Anyway, I digress. Just like Zelda, they give you a game and you play it. And eventually get better and better, until you scratch your ass so hard that magical fairies pop out and make you beat the game. It teaches you not to be an idiot, and gives you a couple magic beans along the way to help you win. All the bosses and the entire story is based on the bible. Your mom is a christian fanatic, and she hears a "voice from God" telling her that Isaac (the character you play as) is a spawn of Satan, so she tries to kill him with a butcher knife. Out of fear, you find a trapdoor under the carpet which brings you down to the basement, where you fight monsters that look like they come straight from some deranged kid's sketchbook. But the cartoony, creepy art style is what makes the experience more magical. Overall, this game is super addictive, just don't play it at an age where it will scare the crap out of you.

Also, don't try and explain it to your parents. The conversation I had went something like this: "What is that game?" "It's a zelda-like top down shooter where your mom thinks you're a spawn of Satan so she tries to kill you with a butcher knife and you find a trapdoor and-" "Okay! I've heard enough! I don't know if I want you playing that though..."
  100. Oct 17, 2011
    Game with a nice phase of action and difficulty. Retro like game with RPG and Exploration elements. Can be played for hours and again and again because of the multiple endings, different characters, every time different levels (random generated), different items and different enemies.

1. Mar 19, 2012
    The Binding of Isaac looks like an old school game like the original Zeldas, but with a dark scenario and dark humor. It has the typical difficulty of a McMillen game, which is not found anywhere else these days. This game will motivate you to try and try again in such a simple way – just brilliant. If you like the style and the old school gameplay of The Binding of Isaac, you'll have a lot of fun with it.
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    One may play for an hour or two, but they're constantly tempted to go back in and uncover the scads of remaining secrets. It's a style of game that really intrigues me, and one I want to see more of
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    Zelda meets Robotron: Isaac celebrates old school topdown action in randomly generated dungeons.