The Binding of Isaac PC

8.4

1. Sep 30, 2011
    I love this game, it does everything it promises just like I expected it and after following it's development since it was announced, I am not disappointed, If you like the main concept of this game you shouldn't pass it at this price. The unique concept, ambiance and endless re-playability makes this a rare gem, I highly recommend it.
  2. Sep 30, 2011
    This game is awesome, awesome, and more awesome. Obviously the previous guy who rated this a 2 just doesn't "get" the appeal of this kind of game. It's based on an old model of PC gaming (called roguelike) where you die once and the game is over--completely. There are no saves, no continue spots--you're dead and you have to start all over. But that's exactly what makes this game soThis game is awesome, awesome, and more awesome. Obviously the previous guy who rated this a 2 just doesn't "get" the appeal of this kind of game. It's based on an old model of PC gaming (called roguelike) where you die once and the game is over--completely. There are no saves, no continue spots--you're dead and you have to start all over. But that's exactly what makes this game so damn addictive! I have the Battlefield 3 beta on my computer and I've barely played it because The Binding of Isaac is sucking up all of my time. Because every playthrough is completely randomly generated and you'll never play the same levels twice, dying is not a big deal. Death feels the same way it feels in Super Meat Boy; you die, and die, and die again--but you get better each time, and it makes you want to start the game right back up again. Like SMB it's a throwback to a time long ago when you needed actual skill and quick reflexes to complete a game, and it's precisely that which makes it so appealing to me. Oh...that and the absolutely awesome and hilarious abilities and powerups, which I definitely wouldn't want to spoil here. The game is full of surprises and has a very dark tone about it, feeling like a mix between The Legend of Zelda and Splatterhouse. The fact that it's only 5 bucks doesn't hurt either, but it shouldn't give you any indication of the quality of the game. I've paid 50-60 bucks for games that weren't nearly as fun as this. Just buy it, play it, and enjoy some excellent old-meets-new gaming for less than the cost of a sandwich. Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2011
    This game is just about perfect. It's priced on its length -- I don't think you can criticize a 3-6 hour time of gameplay with a $5 price tag. This game is definitely not short on content within those few hours, however, and it's never tedious. NPCs are diverse, but never "too" difficult (not that you probably won't die a few times completing the game the first time). Each play-through isThis game is just about perfect. It's priced on its length -- I don't think you can criticize a 3-6 hour time of gameplay with a $5 price tag. This game is definitely not short on content within those few hours, however, and it's never tedious. NPCs are diverse, but never "too" difficult (not that you probably won't die a few times completing the game the first time). Each play-through is different, and each time, you learn new mechanics, new items, and new secrets - which is much the same draw as Nethack. There's never a shortage of novelty - you don't get into a "groove" of hitting the same buttons under the same conditions -- there's NO grinding because after entering one semi-randomly-generated room, the shooting mechanic could dramatically change. The review faulting it for "cartoon gore" and being depressing is a bit obscene. It's so cartoonish and absurd, the idea that you can fault its liberalism with gore compared to the gore in a game as Modern Warfare, where you're shooting at representations of much more lifelike people, is silly. The story is witty, and surprisingly well-done considering how short and non-linear the game is. Most important about this game is its achievement of creating a non-linear roguelike which FLOWS. Everything flows very well -- nothing feels clunky, and having power-ups affect how your character looks (often in ways you wouldn't expect) is a great addition. Addicting, mysterious, and an enjoyable diversion, the game is well-worth the low price tag, and an experience I won't soon be forgetting (something I can't say for the $50+ generic brown FPS games I've played).

I'm deducting a point for the vagina-anus monster, however. That was just wrong on all levels.
  4. Oct 1, 2011
    The Binding of Isaac is a fun game, but at first I was disappointed when I saw the length of the game. But when I dived into the game, I found the same satisfaction of playing, like I did with Demon's Souls on Playstation 3. You will die a lot, but that slow progression, and the satisfaction from defeating a boss for the first time is great.
    The soundtrack get's a little repetitive after a
    The soundtrack get's a little repetitive after a while, although it is a short and good soundtrack.
    For being a fairly short game, it still has a great system where it lays every new level map randomly + different bosses for each playthrough + all the loot.
    Even though the game is depressing in many ways and there is an awful lot of blood and tears, there is a twisted and hilarious sense of humor in the game, and I found myself laughing at different bosses and loot I got.

So all in all this is a fun game, and definitely a must-buy if you are a fan of the roguelike genre, and since it is so dirt cheap I also strongly recommend it for newcomers and computer gamers alike.
  5. Oct 2, 2011
    If Edmund McMillen had a time machine and went back to the 80s-90s he'd be the most prized game designer [bold statement I know].... he doesn't just create killer 2D games that make you remember the good ol' days, he creates classic-style games with originality that I've never seen. The way you can feel about a cult movie or punk rock music is what he has infused into his games. His gamesIf Edmund McMillen had a time machine and went back to the 80s-90s he'd be the most prized game designer [bold statement I know].... he doesn't just create killer 2D games that make you remember the good ol' days, he creates classic-style games with originality that I've never seen. The way you can feel about a cult movie or punk rock music is what he has infused into his games. His games seems like they were created on Psilocybin.

This game is always mentioned with it's price, and I assume that bolsters a more lenient rating... I find that unfortunate because this game has more personality and "balls" then most games have the funding to allow. The Binding of Isaac will take a few play-throughs to get the gist of how it operates, afterwards you'll find yourself craving more and more. At first I didn't like that you couldn't save, and the idea of a self-generating dungeon didn't sound that cool... until I played this gem. I don't feel that is its selling point, the power-ups are that selling point. Each dungeon has a gold room in which you obtain a power-up... and you'll scramble immediately to find this room to see what hidden treasure awaits. The power-ups are fantastic; for example, you can join a demon cult, have a tag-a-long dead baby (brother or sister), spit pee (instead of tears as you start with) amongst many others that I have yet to discover. Each dungeon and each play will give you something new, and not only that you can couple and stack your power-ups. Power-ups affect your appearance, your ammo, and your special attacks. Some complain about keyboard controls, me being a console-only gamer after about 5 games the control setup became a breeze. Don't let this game pass you up if you grew up appreciating any 2D games. The replay value is the highest I've encountered. Add that it's about religion and how ridiculous that is... well... I'm sold.
  6. Oct 1, 2011
    It's like Zelda 1, crossed with super meat boy, its hard to imagine this not being absolutely amazing. I suggest you buy the album version, as the music is epic
  7. Dec 30, 2012
    Surprisingly addictive as the game looks completely outdated and a very pale copy of a Zelda-like. However, the cleverness resides in the rogue approach and the tons of items and upgrades that make each game very different and the replay value humongous. You get yourself caught playing game after game after game and each experience is truly unique. Warning though: this game is not forSurprisingly addictive as the game looks completely outdated and a very pale copy of a Zelda-like. However, the cleverness resides in the rogue approach and the tons of items and upgrades that make each game very different and the replay value humongous. You get yourself caught playing game after game after game and each experience is truly unique. Warning though: this game is not for everyone. You better have a good dose of black humor because the background is very sordid. Expand
  8. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't get the low scores for this game. People saying this game is repetitive and has boring gameplay are so wrong. This is a very challenging game, yes, but if you rely on your items, you are surely a very lazy gamer, and one that has missed the entire point of this game. Binding of Isaac is an absolutely amazing game. I was so frustrated with this game when I first played it, and I actually felt like just stop playing it after the first hour or so. But when I first got used to the enemies, bosses and trololol bombs, I really began enjoying it. The bosses are fun and varied, most of the mini-bosses are really entertaining and rewarding. Rewarding is the word for this game. Instead of going with the flow like every other game out there, this game actually rewards you when you should be rewarded. When you complete the game for the first time, you find out that the boss isn't really the real final boss, and you have to fight even harder to complete it. In this game you really feel like you are rewarded for what you do. Over a hundred items are available in this game, and there are a ton of combinations for these. No save points in this game! This ups the game difficulty to a level at which most gamers are not able to cope with. If you are a soft-core gamer, do not play this game. If you are up for a challenge. Thumbs up! Expand
  9. Dec 31, 2012
    Innovative, fun and a great title. This is one of the most addictive games of all the time, and replayable for like infinite times. This is an amazing gem that everybody must have.
  10. Feb 23, 2013
    Fun, Hard, MAKES ME WANNA CUT MY BALLS OFF, GOD I LOVE THIS GAME WORTH ALL YOUR MONEYS,
  11. Sep 12, 2013
    I first played this for an hour or so and felt amazed at how silly and shallow it was. "why is this game so popular" I said to myself. Then I came back and found a little more, again and again. Eventually, after learning the ropes and getting deeper into the dungeon, I realized how rich and weird and *fun* this game is. Really a smashing success, a small success maybe, but tons of fun.I first played this for an hour or so and felt amazed at how silly and shallow it was. "why is this game so popular" I said to myself. Then I came back and found a little more, again and again. Eventually, after learning the ropes and getting deeper into the dungeon, I realized how rich and weird and *fun* this game is. Really a smashing success, a small success maybe, but tons of fun. Spent a couple of days in my office playing this on the sly, just couldn't put it down! Expand
  12. May 3, 2013
    街机闯关风格的迷宫探索游戏,6个关卡因为丰富的随机要素使得次次的游戏体验都会不同。适当的长度,并不刁钻的难度,丰富的搜集要素会令你沉迷好长一段时间。主角丰富的外观变化是个亮点。
  13. TVD
    May 12, 2013
    Just epic and stupid at the same time. Creator is a genius! Never gets boring (I don't even understand why but it's a fact) and you can easily surpass the 50-100 h of gameplay.
  14. Apr 16, 2013
    tl:dr You can aim with your mouse

tl:dr You can aim with your mouse

It seems a lot of people are complaining about bad controls. The only reason they are bad with the controls is their own ignorance. If they played the game for more than 10 seconds they could of figured out that YOU CAN AIM WITH YOUR MOUSE. Literally the exact same controls for almost every PC game ever. WASD, aim with mouse. Pretty standard stuff. Some people have also been saying that "it's a keyboard mashing game." It's as much keyboard mashy as any other game. The only time you have to spam click is with the Chocolate milk item to get your full fire rate. Besides that, you can HOLD DOWN your mouse to fire at full speed. Like I said, pretty standard stuff here.It seems the other problems people were having all had to do with difficulty and interest, which are all very understandable, however, if you put just a little more effort into it, (and use your mouse to aim) it won't be so terribly difficult, and the farther you get, the more interesting and engaging it becomes. Others have complained about how there is no strategy. Sure, on the first to levels. After that you have to deal with patterns and dodging, strafing, circle strafing, arcade farming etc. There are also different characters you can chose from. Anyways, with all that out of the way, I think the game is great, ad get the DLC it's awesome too. Sorry if it's long.
  15. Sep 30, 2013
    If you don't like fast paced roguelike games then just stay away. If you're expecting something similar to Zelda then..... idk actually look at the gamepage??? This game lives up to everything it displays, and goes over and beyond that. I went in expecting a little rogueish game i could play for a min then leave, but 2 hours later I had a very different opinion. Fun, fast, coqed up in theIf you don't like fast paced roguelike games then just stay away. If you're expecting something similar to Zelda then..... idk actually look at the gamepage??? This game lives up to everything it displays, and goes over and beyond that. I went in expecting a little rogueish game i could play for a min then leave, but 2 hours later I had a very different opinion. Fun, fast, coqed up in the head, and functional, and in terms of story? Its about a little kid whos messed up in the head, simple as can be. Expand
  16. Jan 11, 2013
    A fine game with a lot of replayability in this game. Tons of items to collect. I would recommend buying the DLC: Wraith of Lamb. It extends the game by a lot. The game takes only a bit to master and adjust to the controls. The story can and has been interpreted many different ways. I find it very entertaining.
  17. Nov 9, 2011
    The Binding of Isaac is nothing short of perfect. Having played Super Meat Boy and loving it i then saw The Binding of Isaac was by one of the same makers so i gave it a chance, at such a low price it was worth the gamble. At first i didn't think it would be that good especially with only having 4 chapters to complete (now 5 after the halloween update) which i thought i would haveThe Binding of Isaac is nothing short of perfect. Having played Super Meat Boy and loving it i then saw The Binding of Isaac was by one of the same makers so i gave it a chance, at such a low price it was worth the gamble. At first i didn't think it would be that good especially with only having 4 chapters to complete (now 5 after the halloween update) which i thought i would have completed by the end of the day, how wrong i was, each chapter is split into 2 levels and can be easy or very hard depending of how your rooms have randomly generated, because of random generation this game allows for an unending amount of replayability with the same amount of fun if not more each time you play. So many different enemy each being able to show in multiple colours with a different effect for each one, over 100 items to collect that you wont collect in just a few playthroughs, each item when used with other items can lead to amazing or not so good combinations. Bosses that will get you on the edge of your seat not to mention the addition of alternate bosses, mini bosses, the four horseman and Satan. If you don't like this game then i would say it's the genre you don't like, but if you love this genre of game then prepare for days and days (not hours) of endless and rewards gaming. Expand
  18. Jul 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A little game with some really good working dark humor. It's very difficult but that's what makes it lasts for soo long. Very addictive game with a high replay rate. Expand
  19. Oct 18, 2011
    This game took me by complete surprise. It has been a long time since a game pulled all of the right strings with my like "Isaac" does. The game is very difficult, but not in a way that is frustrating, as even with failed attempts at beating it, one can unlock many types of items, new bosses, and discover other interesting things the developer has placed within the game's dungeons. EachThis game took me by complete surprise. It has been a long time since a game pulled all of the right strings with my like "Isaac" does. The game is very difficult, but not in a way that is frustrating, as even with failed attempts at beating it, one can unlock many types of items, new bosses, and discover other interesting things the developer has placed within the game's dungeons. Each playthrough is different, and at over 35 hours logged in playtime on Steam, I am still finding myself smiling at new items or boss battles that appear for the first time. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. At $5 this game is more than worth it. Expand
  20. Jan 21, 2012
    This is a game from older generation. There is no saves, no hints, no help. You must remember that gives each piece and how it interacts with others. Plus, it's very random, one game may be simple, the other incredibly difficult. But precisely this is the charm of the game. Challenge the player to deal with all its complexities.
    This is very good and captivating game. I will continue to
    This is very good and captivating game. I will continue to ply it until I collect all items)
  21. Nov 2, 2011
    From initially reading about The Binding of Isaac, I was fascinated by the style and obvious heavy-influence from the original Legend of Zelda. Binding is an especially dark and twisted game that incorporates elements of adventure, shoot-em up, and RPG-style gaming. The dungeons are randomly generated as well as the power-ups, enemies and bosses you will encounter along the way. CombineFrom initially reading about The Binding of Isaac, I was fascinated by the style and obvious heavy-influence from the original Legend of Zelda. Binding is an especially dark and twisted game that incorporates elements of adventure, shoot-em up, and RPG-style gaming. The dungeons are randomly generated as well as the power-ups, enemies and bosses you will encounter along the way. Combine this gameplay with dirty and vulgar Flash-inspired visuals, religious themes, and a great soundtrack and you have a title that is priced surprisingly at only $5.00.

Binding places you in the role of a naked young boy, Isaac, who is trying to escape his Mother who has been charged by God to kill him to prove her devotion and unwavering loyalty. Dark enough? Isaac escapes into a labyrinth-like basement and must survive several floors of bloody and deformed horrors, each floor culminating in a boss fight. The game is difficult and definitely not forgiving. There are no save points and when you die, you will start at the beginning. However, you'll find that every playthrough will be a different experience and that the game is surprisingly addictive. Most gamers that get hooked will want to play this game all the way to 100% completion.

If you're not turned away by the style or tone of this game, definitely give it a shot. Binding has considerable replay value and at a price tag of $5.00, I think most gamers will not be disappointed.
  22. Jan 7, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. Period. You just go around, shot some tears, kill monsters. Simple as cutting of the ginger's nipple. The game is short, you finish it in about 30-45 minutes and every single time it's different. The game is awesome untill it gives you JEBENE USRANE
  23. Oct 9, 2011
    Currently there is an overabundance of very easy games. Constant auto saves and replays make games easy. This is not a part of that scene so it has a learning curve. I've enjoyed it so far. It's $5 and for that price you will get your moneys worth. Polished graphics, music and sound. Unique game-play.
  24. Oct 8, 2011
    As one of the few games I've been able to stomach, in this day of bland AAA games with absolutly no other plus than copying some previously exhausted idea. I loved The Binding of Isaac, although it brings nothing new to the table game wise. It is still enjoyable. The people that have been negative about this probably couldn't get past the 3rd level. Having said that, neither could I.

But

But it's tough, everytime you think you are upgraded out the ass and are able to **** everything up, you'll find some enemy that kicks you in the balls like the girl you teased in 3rd grade. Even though there's some slight annoyance in not knowing what some items do, that is easily overcome by the nice dark demeanor. After 3 or 4 playthroughs you'll have a good idea of what does what.

For the 5 bucks I payed for it (not even) I have enjoyed this more than Dead Island, which bored me to **** after 4 hours.
  25. Jun 8, 2012
    I bought this game as it was made by the co-creator of Super Meat Boy, a game I enjoyed a lot, but I wasn't expecting much. 40 hours of gameplay later, here I am, still loving it. This crappy little flash game with abysmal graphics options is so addictive, fun, and difficult that I play it whenever I have any spare time.

The sound is decent, the graphics are pretty bad but have a

The sound is decent, the graphics are pretty bad but have a distinctive style that you don't get bored of, and very fun rogue-like gameplay.
  26. May 19, 2012
    This game is nothing short of greatness. At first glance I marked it off as a stupid zelda clone but the more I played it the more addicted I became. The visual style is extremely pleasing and while seeming almost cartoony, manages to fit in with the dark humor and creepy setting of the game. Now as for the difficulty, the game is hard when you first start without a doubt. You will die.This game is nothing short of greatness. At first glance I marked it off as a stupid zelda clone but the more I played it the more addicted I became. The visual style is extremely pleasing and while seeming almost cartoony, manages to fit in with the dark humor and creepy setting of the game. Now as for the difficulty, the game is hard when you first start without a doubt. You will die. Often. But as you progress you will unlock better items that can spawn in the various rooms of the game and your skills will grow. Making it to the final boss and beating the game for the first time was one of the most rewarding feelings playing a video game has ever given me due to simply how many attempts it took and the time that was put into it. The music in this game is amazing, and is bound to get stuck in your head for weeks. Over all I loved this game and would recommend it to just about anybody. Cant wait for the new expansion coming out latter this month! Expand
  27. Dec 11, 2011
    This is an excellent game. It's nothing much, but for what it is, it is top notch. A lot of the negative reviewers are A) Hate it because it was developped in part by Edmund McMillan (a creator of Super Meat Boy) or B) don't quite seem to understand that Edmund wasn't TRYING to make a blockbuster game, just a fun, little time waster. Seriously, I've stacked many hours on this game, notThis is an excellent game. It's nothing much, but for what it is, it is top notch. A lot of the negative reviewers are A) Hate it because it was developped in part by Edmund McMillan (a creator of Super Meat Boy) or B) don't quite seem to understand that Edmund wasn't TRYING to make a blockbuster game, just a fun, little time waster. Seriously, I've stacked many hours on this game, not because it was some epic, ultra-game, but because it was fun. Take it at face value, people. It's a 5 dollar game made to chew up just a little bit of your time when you're bored, not meant to consume your entire day. Anyways, as for the game itself, it's a roguelike, top-down dungeon crawler that follows Isaac, a young boy escaping his religious mother in a basement full of monsters. You must then try and survive and, ultimately, destroy your mother. The game generates a new set of dungeons and assigns new unlockables each time you play, so your experience will always differ. It is also worth noting that the soundtrack is top-notch, and the soundtrack version should be purchased, especially when it's only 89 cents. Expand
  28. Oct 13, 2011
    So many people will play this game not knowing the Rogue model of a game and be frustrated by dying to this game and calling it " bad Programming" or " unattainable " But in fact that is exactly what the game is supposed to be. The randomly generated rooms and doors you will pass through are not only what defines this game, but is what will keep you exploring even if you beat the levelSo many people will play this game not knowing the Rogue model of a game and be frustrated by dying to this game and calling it " bad Programming" or " unattainable " But in fact that is exactly what the game is supposed to be. The randomly generated rooms and doors you will pass through are not only what defines this game, but is what will keep you exploring even if you beat the level and have more to explore. absolutely this is at par or above with retro gaming, also making it a " Super Hard mode " like what super meat boy did to the Mario genre. By far for 5 dollars i would have bought the soundtrack alone in this game for how amazing of a job was done on it. absolutely this game will give you over 20+ hours to beat the main line with all the unlockable players, but will give you more than triple than that by beating the game multiple times for new endings. The Binding of Isaac is by far the most fun you will get for $5 and will leave you wishing it cost more. Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2011
    this game is actually really fun i thought that it was just going to be some crappy internet game but i was surprised about how much stuff is actually in this game. every time you play it is different because the engine randomizes each level. at first it is hard but then you get used to the controls and it gets a lot easier. everybody who is ratting on the game never really gave it a trythis game is actually really fun i thought that it was just going to be some crappy internet game but i was surprised about how much stuff is actually in this game. every time you play it is different because the engine randomizes each level. at first it is hard but then you get used to the controls and it gets a lot easier. everybody who is ratting on the game never really gave it a try long enough to get the controls. it's a dark creepy cute and scary game Expand
  30. Oct 2, 2011
    This game is absolutely phenomenal! It starts out with a very dour story regarding a fanatical mother who hears the voice of god commanding her to sacrifice her son Isaac, who then flees into the basement to escape her wrath (only to encounter a variety of demonic creatures). After the opening cinema, the player starts the game and is introduced to all of the necessary keyboard commandsThis game is absolutely phenomenal! It starts out with a very dour story regarding a fanatical mother who hears the voice of god commanding her to sacrifice her son Isaac, who then flees into the basement to escape her wrath (only to encounter a variety of demonic creatures). After the opening cinema, the player starts the game and is introduced to all of the necessary keyboard commands via a series of cave paintings in the first dungeon room. From there, trial and error will teach you the rest that you need to know. The rouge-like style game consists of a random series of procedurally created dungeon rooms, monsters, secrets, item drops, and treasure chests. The monsters and bosses are hideously gruesome things that display Edmund McMillen's fantastic diabolic art style. There are countless homages to past classics such as The Legend of Zelda and Robotron: 2084, however TBOI's treatment feels very original and fresh this day in age. As a fan of Edmund McMillen and Team Meat, I would have been prepared to pay at least $10.00 for this gem. The fact that it sells on Steam for $5.00 is just icing on the cake! If you are a fan of A) Team Meat, B) Zelda, C) gruesome artwork, D) fiendishly difficult game play, or E) all of the above, you owe it to yourself to give The Binding of Isaac a try. The esoteric messages Expand

1. Mar 19, 2012
    The Binding of Isaac looks like an old school game like the original Zeldas, but with a dark scenario and dark humor. It has the typical difficulty of a McMillen game, which is not found anywhere else these days. This game will motivate you to try and try again in such a simple way – just brilliant. If you like the style and the old school gameplay of The Binding of Isaac, you'll have a lot of fun with it.
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    One may play for an hour or two, but they're constantly tempted to go back in and uncover the scads of remaining secrets. It's a style of game that really intrigues me, and one I want to see more of
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    Zelda meets Robotron: Isaac celebrates old school topdown action in randomly generated dungeons.