8.2

1. Oct 26, 2013
    The graphics are nice and the puzzles of this point-and-click game are interesting. There are some good jokes and the tone brings some freshness to the genre. Controls are not perfect. The story is not exciting at all, and that should have been the #1 objective of such a game.
  2. Nov 22, 2014
    The scores of this game baffle me. This is a very average adventure game. It's not terrible it's just nothing special. It's not original, being largely an homage to other adventure games and fantasy/sci-fi mainstays like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. However, even in its tributes it isn't terribly clever.

It's not especially difficult but it does have a touch of that old-school

It's not especially difficult but it does have a touch of that old-school annoying adventure game flavor (that most modern adventure games have wisely done away with). For example: you can hold the space bar and all interactable items will be highlighted, but on one puzzle, it only worked if you were standing right next to the key item. So basically you try every other possibility until, thoroughly bored, you hit the walkthrough. It's then you realize it wasn't your inability to solve the puzzle but the game deliberately breaking it's own rules to try and add more challenge.

The environments are pretty, but tiny and boring. You start in a boring Gnome town, then go to a deserted castle town, then to a sunken temple. It just never wows you with its visuals. A great adventure game feels full of possibility even if you're somewhat limited in how much you can explore: a feet created by great storytelling.

Again, no idea what the hype is with this game. I played Tesla Effect and Deponia recently and both are easily superior on every level.

It's full of nods and adventure game in-jokes, as well as
  3. Feb 23, 2015
    Beautiful game, with lots of humor, although lots of jokes seem to be reference jokes and I often had the feeling I missed a few because of it. Gameplay is fine, but slow. Puzzles aren't really hard and sometimes a bit dull and unimaginative, where most of the obstacles are the usual mismatch between personal and developer's logic. The biggest problem I had with the game is the slow storyBeautiful game, with lots of humor, although lots of jokes seem to be reference jokes and I often had the feeling I missed a few because of it. Gameplay is fine, but slow. Puzzles aren't really hard and sometimes a bit dull and unimaginative, where most of the obstacles are the usual mismatch between personal and developer's logic. The biggest problem I had with the game is the slow story development. It jumps from puzzle situation to puzzle situation without much, if any story progress. In the end I found the main story to be underwhelming. Even though play time was decent, I was surprised the game was already over and that this was it. The last part was even more a sidequest than part of the main story. The end seemed rushed and rather sudden, as if the developers were bored with the game themselves and just wanted to get it over with. Honestly though, while I had fun playing the game, I felt the same way at that time and was just happy it was done. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2013
    The graphics were really good. It is the first adventure game using 3D graphics i enjoyed playing, I liked the fact that they have kept the 2D gameplay style. Not like monkey island 4, that was just awful! (Hope someone makes a special edition of MI4 with 2D graphics!)

The multiple character gameplay is really great. Although it is a little annoying that the swap (switching between the characters) isn't instant because the characters have to walk back to their starting positions (unlike "day of the tentacle" where the swap is instant)

The storyline is good and there is a lot of (semi)funny references to the fantasy genre. The dialogues are wellmade and witty.

There is a lot of different beautiful locations. But there is not much room for exploring (unlike the kyrandia-games) there's only the screens you need. If you do not have a purpose wtih scene you simply can't go there. Which makes the game a little easier.

That brings me to the next topic the difficulty. This game is a too easy. The puzzles are very obvious and simple, do not expect to get challenged by this game.
    'the only time I had difficulties was when I had the temple-bug.

Summary: A beautiful and funny game, but unfortunately it is way too easy,

1. Apr 19, 2013
    The Book of Unwritten Tales isn’t bad—it just feels like the developers weren't sure if they would rather homage LucasArts or ridicule Blizzard, so they tried to do both. Sadly, they succeeded only in making both aspects tepid and bland. That said, I would honestly recommend it to people who love adventure titles because beneath the fetch-questing is a solid game with quirky characters, decent puzzles, and some amusing self-aware humor.
  2. CD-Action
    Nov 29, 2012
    The prettiest, most interesting and funniest point'n'click adventure game of the last couple of years. It would be a mortal sin to miss out on it. [CD-Action 13/2012, p.60]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 11, 2012
    A smart, lengthy and logical adventure game that is consistently enjoyable without ever trying to be incredible. [Oct 2012, p.81]