8.3

1. Nov 6, 2011
    It's a shame that a wonderful and amazing game like this doesn't get nearly as much attention as so many uninteresting uninspired gorefests that crowd the market.
    If you're tired of playing games where you are a tough macho gravelly voiced super-soldier walking in a straigh line shooting everything in sight, then give this game a go!
    The characters are loveable, the humor is spot-on, the
    The characters are loveable, the humor is spot-on, the art direction and animations are top-notch for an indie adventure, and it's generally an all-round wonderful experience. PLAY THIS GAME!
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    First I want to tell you that I am no newbie at this kind of games. "Syberia" 1 and 2, "Sanitarium", "Monkey Island" (all of them), "Day of Tentacle" and "The Longest Journey" are my all time favorites. I also was a fan of the "World of Warcraft" - in the long time ago when the game was actually smart and fun. But if you are like me and you loved all these games, I can tell you that "TheFirst I want to tell you that I am no newbie at this kind of games. "Syberia" 1 and 2, "Sanitarium", "Monkey Island" (all of them), "Day of Tentacle" and "The Longest Journey" are my all time favorites. I also was a fan of the "World of Warcraft" - in the long time ago when the game was actually smart and fun. But if you are like me and you loved all these games, I can tell you that "The Book Of Unwritten Tales" can occupy a proud first place among them.

It amazes me to see how little appreciation is given to this game, although it was launched back in 2009 in Germany. They probably don't have a huge marketing machine in place. This game has everything: an excellent script, a wonderful story, humor (lots and lots of humor), strong characters, nice graphics and smart puzzles. Indeed, the puzzles were a bit more difficult in "Syberia" (this could be the only "bad" thing I could think of in regards to this game) - but it's not a major issue. A big problem with this kind of games is that sometimes inconsistencies appear in the story and in the course of action, but "The Book Of Unwritten Tales" has none of those. The story goes smooth and logical. The $30 you pay for this accounts for a good 20-25 hours of play.

The humor in this game is addictive! It makes fun of many pop-culture subjects, it contains super fun references to WOW and Monkey Island.

For a preview of the game you can search youtube (this is what convinced me to actually buy it and play it). If you liked the games listed above (and in general, if you like smart games) I can guarantee you will love this :D
  3. Nov 6, 2011
    Wow!!! this is really something great..unfortunately no one knows about this game..thats so sad since this game have so much value in terms of story,really lovable characters, artistic graphics than those other games i have finished recently (rage ,deus ex).Trust me u will love this game.
  4. Nov 26, 2011
    Played the game in german and really loved it... It´s the first adventure which come really close to discworld and monkey island, but not without many funny references on them them during the game. And that does`t stop, the whole game has great humor, top-notch voice acting and really beautiful and nice drawn backrounds. One of the less critic-points of the proffesionalPlayed the game in german and really loved it... It´s the first adventure which come really close to discworld and monkey island, but not without many funny references on them them during the game. And that does`t stop, the whole game has great humor, top-notch voice acting and really beautiful and nice drawn backrounds. One of the less critic-points of the proffesional reviews was that it ist sometimes hard to find little obejcts, but what they have missed is that if you press space, the game will show you all usable objects. Overall it has nice puzzles which are the most time very logicall and fun, good written dialogs and funny humor. For the price of about 30$ you get a big package with the full game (with about 20 hours gameplay), a soundtrack CD, an artbook and a double-sided A2 artwork poster. What does an adventure fan need more!? If you love adventures, this is a must have ;-) Collapse
  5. Dec 29, 2011
    The game is absolutely marvelous! The truth is that I have been craving for a classic point and click adventure game since the original Monkey Island. I enjoyed The Longest Journey, Syberia, and that's pretty much it when it comes to games which came afterwards. Telltale games, such as the new Monkey Island aren't bad, but they lack the one thing which I enjoy so much in The Book ofThe game is absolutely marvelous! The truth is that I have been craving for a classic point and click adventure game since the original Monkey Island. I enjoyed The Longest Journey, Syberia, and that's pretty much it when it comes to games which came afterwards. Telltale games, such as the new Monkey Island aren't bad, but they lack the one thing which I enjoy so much in The Book of Unwritten Tales - the magic of the old days. I recommend it to all die-hard fans of classic adventure games - you won't be disappointed! Expand
  6. Dec 29, 2011
    This is a fantastic classic adventure number with spectacular presentation and very few flaws. Among these would be a few visual and sound glitches namely desynced audio and animations that don't fit well with the background, and the often mentioned lack of pre-rendered cut-scenes after the beginning. The script is funny throughout, each of the environments are simply marvelous and theThis is a fantastic classic adventure number with spectacular presentation and very few flaws. Among these would be a few visual and sound glitches namely desynced audio and animations that don't fit well with the background, and the often mentioned lack of pre-rendered cut-scenes after the beginning. The script is funny throughout, each of the environments are simply marvelous and the characters well-designed with great voice-acting (although they could use better textures and lighting to fit in better). This is a game that you should own and that you should use to try to get new gamers into classic adventure gaming. Expand
  7. Feb 15, 2012
    As someone who grew up with the classic point&click games I absolutely adore this game. It has beautiful graphics, loveable characters, a great sense of humor with a lot of references and parodies of pop culture and even the classic adventures.

I can recommend this (and it's successor) to anybody who enjoys the ood old classics like Monkey Island. One of the few games (together with the works of Daedalic) that can actually measure up to the old times! Buy it!
  8. Nov 20, 2012
    This is one of the best point and click adventure games I have ever played, maybe the best. I have attempted to enjoy many games in this general 'genre' of game, and the vast majority bore me and fade out of my playlist after a short time (with some very significantly notable exceptions here and there- the Longest Journey is one of my all time favorites), but this game made me rememberThis is one of the best point and click adventure games I have ever played, maybe the best. I have attempted to enjoy many games in this general 'genre' of game, and the vast majority bore me and fade out of my playlist after a short time (with some very significantly notable exceptions here and there- the Longest Journey is one of my all time favorites), but this game made me remember that adventure games can be incredible if done right. The comedy is truly hilarious. The puzzles are logical (usually). The storyline is superb. The atmosphere/environment is immersive. The gameplay is pretty slow paced (as are most adventure games), so if your in a mood to shoot up some fools or whatever, this probably won't be the best choice of the moment. But if your in the mood to sink into a game with depth and intelligence, you'll enjoy this one a lot. Expand
  9. Mar 17, 2012
    It's really typical pnc adventure with really good humor and some funny references on famous games. Puzzles are good balanced and basicly all are made with some pure logic so i didnt stuck in open area clicking on everything and combining all items in inventory (well, maybie once or twice xD ) . Characters are really adoreable and funny. Only reason am giving 9 is fact that animations areIt's really typical pnc adventure with really good humor and some funny references on famous games. Puzzles are good balanced and basicly all are made with some pure logic so i didnt stuck in open area clicking on everything and combining all items in inventory (well, maybie once or twice xD ) . Characters are really adoreable and funny. Only reason am giving 9 is fact that animations are in lower quality than ingame graphic. Great pnc adventure overall Expand
  10. Aug 3, 2012
    The best word to describe this game is "charming", from its art style to the characters (esp. Wilbur the entirely loveable gnome) you will love the feel of the game. Its a rare game that is funny and clever from start to finish, and this game does a really good job. Great job on a game in what has become a genre full of copy cats and same old, same old titles. Here's hoping for another inThe best word to describe this game is "charming", from its art style to the characters (esp. Wilbur the entirely loveable gnome) you will love the feel of the game. Its a rare game that is funny and clever from start to finish, and this game does a really good job. Great job on a game in what has become a genre full of copy cats and same old, same old titles. Here's hoping for another in the series, Wuuuuuzaaaaa! Expand
  11. Aug 13, 2012
    I've been playing adventure games since the days of Sierra in the 80's. The Book of Unwritten Tales in the best adventure game i've played in years. It bring the fun of the old school 'quest' games in line with the amazing graphics and sound of today. The characters were funny and alive, the puzzles were fun and challenging, and the story was enthralling. I can't wait for more. If youI've been playing adventure games since the days of Sierra in the 80's. The Book of Unwritten Tales in the best adventure game i've played in years. It bring the fun of the old school 'quest' games in line with the amazing graphics and sound of today. The characters were funny and alive, the puzzles were fun and challenging, and the story was enthralling. I can't wait for more. If you haven't played this game yet, get out there and buy it. Expand
  12. Aug 13, 2012
    Best point&click I played in 2011. Extremely funny, with lots of reference to fantasy culture, including video games, movies and novels. Charming graphics, excellent voice acting, good puzzles, very original and refreshing. A must-play :)
  13. Aug 13, 2012
    Fantastic game! It kept me in front of the computer every evening and during the day I was wondering how to solve the puzzles. I laughed a lot. Thee is a lot of very nice humour inside. I definitely recommend this game to everyone!
  14. Jun 13, 2013
    Over the last decade the whole genre of adventure games didn’t have it easy, and the best titles were produced by independent developers. The Book of Unwritten Tales is also a work of an independent game studio, although when I look at this production I feel like it was made by of a well-known, experienced team supported by one of the publishing giants.

The beginning, nay, the entire

The beginning, nay, the entire story is a conglomeration of many well-known themes from games, movies and famous fantasy universes. References attack player from each side, but not too aggressive, so there is no feeling that it was somehow forced. The game is very climatic and has not too pushy humor. Already in the first dialogues one of the characters says that artifacts, the struggle between good and evil, and similar things are cliché. This gives you the clear understanding that the KING Art studio was aware of the banality of many references and despite this they managed to turn it into a huge advantage of this production. I wonder how would the game do for someone who is not familiar with universes of for example Lord of the rings or World of Warcraft. Would that person have same amount of fun with that production?

The story focuses on four playable characters a gnome (Wilbur), an elf (Ivadora) and a human (Nathaniel) who is accompanied by hysterical creature known as Critter. All of them (except Critter) use the English language in the most British form possible. For some time, it is even an enjoyable experience, but after a few hours, I have had enough.

The game was created on proprietary engine designed specialy for it. It allowed developers to generate very detailed and pleasant to the eye 3D graphics mixed with 2D elelements and backgrounds. The game uses a very different camera shots from the standard view known from some classic adventure games, through isometric, until 2D camera just like in most of platform games that show a cross-section of the building. It allows to construct a more distinct and various puzzles that may not be too demanding, but very pleasant and thoughtful. In addition, by pressing the space bar on the keyboard all interactive elements are highlighted. Every now and then there are also some Quick Time Events (minigames consisting of pressing the keys in the right order and intervals). Overall, the game does not have any major defects apart from a few technical bugs or unforseen situations. For example, you have to backtrack a few charts to activate some element.

The Book of Unwritten Tales is a great game and keeps you in front of computer for more than 15 hours of extremely rich fun. I also can’t complain about the level of AV, or on the quality of the story. This is the perfect choice for people who like easter eggs and references. The Book of Unwritten Tales should also appeal to players who have not had the opportunity to play a decent adventure game of course under the condition that they manage to slow down a bit and sit calmly without waiting for explosions, the omnipresent death and quick action. As I mentioned earlier, I am very curious as to how this production would have been received by a layman in the subject of popular culture. I do not believe, however, that someone like this lives, so I can do nothing else but recommend this production to all who can appreciate a well thought-out and gripping story.
  15. Oct 23, 2012
    The best point-and-click made in recent years.

The best point-and-click made in recent years.

BoUT is filed with clichés, references to classic adventure games, and plenty of original humor. The dialog and story are well written and voice acted. The puzzles are a little on the easy side, but I liked being able to pass the game without a walkthrough. It took me 10-15 hours to pass the game, so it certainly felt like I was getting my money's worth.

I'm generally a very harsh critic of adventure games as I'm impatient and dislike tedium, but playing this game never once felt like a chore. The autosave system, the pacing, the fast travel, the ability to turn on subtitles and quickly skip through dialog - everything was doing perfectly. The Book of Unwritten Tales is a masterpiece. You owe it to yourself to play it.
  16. Oct 5, 2012
    If you like adventure game, if a outstanding story well writen if clever dialogues and lots of fun, this is THE game! One of the best point-and-click games to ever being release and a memorable experience that will sticks with you long time after finished it. A must play!
  17. Dec 28, 2012
    To tell the truth I always loved playing computer games, from my earliest age on. One of my favorite genre was always adventure. I've played almost every big title and many little. But I can't remember to laugh out loudly many time in my gamer career (not even with Monkey Island or Grim Fandango, although I loved them both). With this game it happened a few time. I'd give only for this aTo tell the truth I always loved playing computer games, from my earliest age on. One of my favorite genre was always adventure. I've played almost every big title and many little. But I can't remember to laugh out loudly many time in my gamer career (not even with Monkey Island or Grim Fandango, although I loved them both). With this game it happened a few time. I'd give only for this a 10 to this game. The story is saving the world-stuff, the usual to be expected, but the developers put their heart and tons of jokes in it. And jokes you can actually laugh at... The puzzles are great, I rarely enjoy them this much. They were logical, not nonsense riddles. The game starts a bit slow and to tell the truth it isn't an eye-candy. The models are rigidly animated, at first they seem lifeless. (The usual problems can be found here: if you make one of the characters do anything, they go all over the place before starting to do what you want, even if the object was right beside them in the first place...) But after a short while you get to like them, they become flesh and blood. And they are funny...
    There are many quotes from games, irony and sarcasm well spent (like the gamers in Seefels, or the quick-time event dance). BTW, I played in german and the voice acting is superb. It's the thing that makes the characters come to life.
    The game is relatively long (longer than many other adventure games), and not because you have to try EVERY combination of objects before you get the most insane solution. And now you can have it for 20 Euros. It's a gift :) (and I'm not one of the makers... :) )
    This is the only game from the developers beside the Critter Chronicles, of which I haven't heard too many positive opinions. I will try it, even if I don't like it my money is well spent I think - I not often enjoy a game as much as this. Hopefully the developers with one of the stupidest company name in gaming history (King Art - if this is a joke also, I didn't get it...), will be making many games on the level of TBOUT. I'll be following them.
  18. Jun 1, 2014
    I haven't played a lot of Point & Click games, but this one was really enjoyable. It's not a long game, but it has enough parody of other games you've probably played, that it's refreshing & amusing. I *loved* Wilbur - he's a wonderful little guy, & I actually wish he'd been the lead for the whole game. The other 2 are ok - they have their moments, but they're vastly inferior to hisI haven't played a lot of Point & Click games, but this one was really enjoyable. It's not a long game, but it has enough parody of other games you've probably played, that it's refreshing & amusing. I *loved* Wilbur - he's a wonderful little guy, & I actually wish he'd been the lead for the whole game. The other 2 are ok - they have their moments, but they're vastly inferior to his utter charm. The one thing I'd like in this game is the ability to pick the lead you want. Expand
  19. Aug 22, 2012
    I've played a variety of puzzle games, but no game has been as engaging and interesting as this one. The characters are funny and interesting, there's actually a plot, and it makes me laugh left and right. The game is constantly breaking the fourth wall (referring to itself as a game), there are hilarious references to the world of RPGs and MMOs, and the puzzles are actually logical.I've played a variety of puzzle games, but no game has been as engaging and interesting as this one. The characters are funny and interesting, there's actually a plot, and it makes me laugh left and right. The game is constantly breaking the fourth wall (referring to itself as a game), there are hilarious references to the world of RPGs and MMOs, and the puzzles are actually logical. It's witty, clever...okay, it's just pure genius. There are a couple parts that annoyed me (where I KNEW what I had to do, but due to timing or whatever, wasn't able to do it for a few clicks; also the last zone where I couldn't easily get to the shaman's hut via the map like the other areas), but for the most part, it's an extremely enjoyable ride that I'd recommend to anyone that likes puzzle games. I'm not a huge fan of point and click adventures, but this game is up there with my favorites. Expand
  20. OwJ
    Sep 20, 2012
    After taking a look at the wonderful and beautiful trailers and screenshots of this game, I felt that this game is definitely a must play! The game's design and graphic are just marvelous and every second of the game caught my attention such that I can only focus on the game! Even after completing the game, I never regretted playing it even once and still felt happy that I was able toAfter taking a look at the wonderful and beautiful trailers and screenshots of this game, I felt that this game is definitely a must play! The game's design and graphic are just marvelous and every second of the game caught my attention such that I can only focus on the game! Even after completing the game, I never regretted playing it even once and still felt happy that I was able to experience such a wonderful storyline from the game: The Book of Unwritten Tales. I urged all those gamers who love adventure and puzzle to try out this game as it's one of my favorites! Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2014
    This is not just the better point-and-click game i ever played, but one of the better gaming experiences i had so far. Awesome games like Machinarium are far, far away from The Book of Unwritten Tales. And the story... It's just amazing! It gets better and better while progressing. The final chapter is just... you must see it for yourself!

Point-and-click adventurers, RPGs and fantasy

Point-and-click adventurers, RPGs and fantasy worlds lovers must have it! It is full of really funny references of a lot of known worlds like World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings. Those who are familiarized with this kind of games will just stagger at the screen and probably will find themselves smiling alone while playing.

I wanted to see it on a movie, and although i can replay it, i'll miss the delight and freshness of discover it for the rest of my life.
  22. Jan 22, 2013
    I created my account on Metacritic just to review this game. Like the reviewer below be, this game has received way too little attention so if I could help the game and its creators a little way by posting a review, I'll gladly do so. Unwritten Tales is an absolutely adorable game. The game has some of the best humour I've seen for years. If you like intertextuality, you will love it evenI created my account on Metacritic just to review this game. Like the reviewer below be, this game has received way too little attention so if I could help the game and its creators a little way by posting a review, I'll gladly do so. Unwritten Tales is an absolutely adorable game. The game has some of the best humour I've seen for years. If you like intertextuality, you will love it even more. The voice acting is some of the best I've experienced! I cannot recommend this enough if you've liked casual games and/or old-school point and click, e.g. Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer etc. If possible, play this game with a friend - it just adds another great dimension. CLUB TO DEATH! Expand
  23. Jun 30, 2013
    Good game. Starts off slow and you have to acquire a taste for the style and aesthetic but it's a decent story and nods to many genres. I enjoyed it. Some aspects can be hard to figure out because some of the UI could do with some tweaks but outside of that it's a smooth play.
  24. Oct 23, 2013
    It is a point and clic game. I really liked the sound, music and voice acting its very good. Graphics are good looking effects and animation. I found the story compelling, and yes you have to use your thing in between your ears many times. It was fun to play the story keeps you going on solving the puzzles. Its not for every one but as for the ones who liked Syberia or even older gamesIt is a point and clic game. I really liked the sound, music and voice acting its very good. Graphics are good looking effects and animation. I found the story compelling, and yes you have to use your thing in between your ears many times. It was fun to play the story keeps you going on solving the puzzles. Its not for every one but as for the ones who liked Syberia or even older games like Day of the tentacle is a must have. I recommend anyone who likes a good story. Expand
  25. Nov 26, 2011

1. Apr 19, 2013
    The Book of Unwritten Tales isn’t bad—it just feels like the developers weren't sure if they would rather homage LucasArts or ridicule Blizzard, so they tried to do both. Sadly, they succeeded only in making both aspects tepid and bland. That said, I would honestly recommend it to people who love adventure titles because beneath the fetch-questing is a solid game with quirky characters, decent puzzles, and some amusing self-aware humor.
  2. Nov 29, 2012
    The prettiest, most interesting and funniest point'n'click adventure game of the last couple of years. It would be a mortal sin to miss out on it. [CD-Action 13/2012, p.60]
  3. Oct 11, 2012
    A smart, lengthy and logical adventure game that is consistently enjoyable without ever trying to be incredible. [Oct 2012, p.81]