The Bureau: XCOM Declassified PC

6.5

1. Aug 20, 2013
    I'm seeing a lot of moaning that this isn't XCOM, and maybe the dev's should have just dropped the name because it seems more like fanboy rage, then actual constructive criticism of essential a pretty good 3rd person shooter.

The development has been marred with problems, mainly I believe to fanboy outrage to initial screens of the game. I was actually looking forward to a First person, investigation game. Then the game went dark, but eventually came back to life, in what seemed to be a mash up between Mass Effect and some XCOM elements.

I love the XCOM series, do I care that this game has XCOM in the title? No. I take games on face value, and not what I expect the game should be. In fact, I don't go into any games with expectations why would you? Why not be surprised, which I am about this game.

It didn't take long before I started getting the knack for the controls and ordering my men around it all seemed to work well, and I was killing aliens left, right and centre. The AI, seems intuitive enough to get the job done on both sides.

I love the setting, and the story isn't as convoluted as some have suggested. The game isn't perfect by any means. There have been some hiccups with stuttering, and slow downs but the steam community is on the ball. Hopefully updated video drivers and possible game tweaking will solve most of these issues which we should all be reminded happens even to the best of games.

I do feel the game is a little barron in respects to environments and ambient objects within the world. It kinda feels like a lost opportunity, but I also wonder whether it was a design decision to have more of a clean sterile look to most environments?

Overall this is a solid title, not great, but definitely not worth the scores that it's getting. This game is easily a low mid 8. I paid $36.00 for this game through a site, with some discounts, if you can't get 36 dollars worth of value from this game, then you are doing something VERY wrong.
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    I REAALLYY thought this would just be another shooter but they implemented X-COM's style of strategy so well it actually feels like 3rd person RTS xcom, I dont care about the unsatisfied destructoid review I don't see why in the world he would like how it isnt a shooter or a strategy or an xcom game BECAUSE ITS ALL OF THOSE COMBINED, and that's much more awesome than it sounds

GamePlay:

GamePlay: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    visuals: 7/10
    Replayabilty: 10/10

P.S: anyone going into this expecting a carbon copy of XCOM enemy unknown or UFO defense's gameplay is an idiot
  3. Oct 9, 2013
    The Major issue most people have had with Xcom Declassified is that, in short, it was not Xcom. The developers attempted to create a different game set in a universe similar, but not the same as, the universe XCOM and its predecessor, UFO resided in. They then took this altered reality and said "we're going to try something different" and made The Bureau into a 3PS. In short, if you'reThe Major issue most people have had with Xcom Declassified is that, in short, it was not Xcom. The developers attempted to create a different game set in a universe similar, but not the same as, the universe XCOM and its predecessor, UFO resided in. They then took this altered reality and said "we're going to try something different" and made The Bureau into a 3PS. In short, if you're looking for an expansion to XCOM Enemy Unknown, you're barking up the wrong tree.

So, how does this 3PS differ from other 3PS?

Well first of all, you're not alone in your fight. While you are a badass, if you run in guns blazing alone, you will get yourself killed. For this reason, the game gives you a pair of sidekicks that accompany you on missions (the characters themselves are unimportant) these two can do any range of jobs from pissing off giant alien quadrupeds so you can shoot them in their rear, to deploying laser cannons to cover your advance or do massive amounts of damage in a single shot.

Secondly, the game penalises you heavily if you aren't in cover. IT utilises a similar cover system to XCOM EU with a half and full cover, with damage being reduced based on where you stand. Also like XCOM EU, if an enemy is in a position where your cover is useless against him, he flanks you, that is, he will do a lot more damage as you aren't expecting the hit. These combined features make The Bureau one of the most cover-intensive modern games, and makes a good position the difference between life and death.

A good position is not everything, however, as your opponent's AI, a stunningly complex and intelligent system on heavier difficulties, is always on the move, always changing position and trying to get into places from which the most damage can be done. For this reason, constant movement, literal island hopping is needed to ensure the safety of your team. There is never a single map where you can't gain an advantage as the fight progresses, and there is not a map where you can be safe in any one place for long.

To top off a gripping, battlefield motivated gameplay, the game contains a novel plotline that you can truly get into, and offers many interesting plot twists. This along with adequate voice acting and enjoyable graphics makes for an inspired, if not what you expected game.

Ratings:
    Gameplay: 10/10
    UI: 7/10
    AI: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    Voice acting and graphics: 6/10
  4. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is underrated.

The characters are actually not bad, the story is good, the art desing and graphics are nice and the combat system is decent.
    The game is not a masterpiece and certainly its kind of a mass effect wannabe with the overall control and combat of the game... but that doesn't make it a bad game, it just lacks a bit of identity when it comes to that.
  5. Sep 7, 2013
    I admit, I was expecting a first person version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, one of the best games I've ever played. This game was not that. At first, I almost stopped playing because this game felt way more first person shooter than tactical. It could be because the battle never slows down enough for you to think out your decisions, or because the beginning battles are in such smallI admit, I was expecting a first person version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, one of the best games I've ever played. This game was not that. At first, I almost stopped playing because this game felt way more first person shooter than tactical. It could be because the battle never slows down enough for you to think out your decisions, or because the beginning battles are in such small rooms/areas, or because the battles barely lasted long enough to actually flank anybody, or because if you actually did try to flank somebody, you'd die on your way there. Additionally, none of the powers you start with are very tactical at all. At any rate, it didn't feel like I had much control over the battlefield. However, the story, characters, graphics, and voice acting were good enough to keep me trudging through. Eventually, though, the powers started getting better, the battles started getting larger scale, and it started to feel like what I ordered my team to do mattered a *little* more. Toward the end, you can still win a battle without leaving your starting spot, but at least it feels a little more like Mass Effect 1, now. And I'm enjoying myself.

I think the reason this game is getting such bad reviews is because of 1) the expectation of it to be similar to XCOM: Enemy Unknown and 2) for whatever reason, the beginning is pretty weak. But it does get better and the graphics, story, acting, etc. are great. I'd classify it as a slightly weaker copy of Mass Effect 1.

I also think the one thing they could have done to improve this game *tremendously* would be to actually pause the battle when you bring up your command screen, rather than just slowing it down. Just slowing it down makes things rushed and chaotic. You care less about making the "right" decisions and tend to just spray and pray, instead. You also have absolutely no time to "scan" the battlefield as you were meant to (it's a power) because if you actually spent time doing that, it would remove the small window of time you have to flank an enemy before they die.
  6. Sep 12, 2013
    It is really good tpp game. For every Xcom fans. Gameplay is enjoyable. Plot quite surprising at the end. Mix of 60 's and traditional Xcom is eatable. If You had good time with ME (especially 2 and 3) You will like this game also. It is not so long though, but worth of playing.
  7. Sep 27, 2013
    Being new to the XCOM series (Very unsure whether UFO series count in any way), I'm not confined within the box to what a "XCOM game" should be like. Yes, this game is buggy, the graphics are not top notch, the combat control is not that linear and yes there are gaps in the storyline/dialog/logic.
    Despite all these flaws, the atmosphere it creates and the ambition to combine the turn base tactical roots with FPS is VERY new and enjoyable.
    Just didn't think this game should be rated as low as it is now despite needing some refinements with some patches. For me, at least 7.5 without patches, and maybe 8.5 if all technical problems are smoothed out.
  8. Oct 26, 2013
    An enjoyable mix of 3rd person shooter and alternate history. Just like Resistance Fall of Man wrapped in the mystery of the world of X-Com.

Combat takes a little bit to get used to if you've played other x-com games or other similar 3rd person squad games like KOTOR as there is no actual pause, time is just slowed down rather than stopped so you have to be careful where your characters before issuing commands during combat as you coiuld be killed by shots or grenades
  9. Jun 18, 2014
    I have actually created a Metacritic account, simply to point out that this game has been criminally underrated! i'm not saying its going to win GOTY, but its a superbly build game, with excellent voice acting, creative gameplay elements, and a cool storyline to boot!

Its the thinking mans FPS :-) do yourself a favour and give it a try. i promise, you don't be disappointed!
  10. Aug 23, 2013
    The story is interesting and entertaining and works perfectly as a sequel to the X-Com games. The only aspect that you may complain about is the gameplay, that has a few bugs that can easily be fixed with a patch. You should at least check it out.
  11. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is very good, tactics, rpg, atmosphere etc. Only thing that misses is base management.
    The biggest problem of this game is its name, many people (including critics, who should be neutral) simply can't deal with the xcom game from soldier's (agent's) sight and they automatically give a bad score without any thought or doubt.
    So, if you want to know the real "score" of this game,
    So, if you want to know the real "score" of this game, you have to add some points (10-15%) to annulate the haters.
  12. Aug 22, 2013
    This. Is. Excellent! I beg of you not to listen to the other reviewers (most of them seem to complain that it isn't like the other XCOM games?!) and try this game for yourself. I was playing this on my low(-ish) spec laptop (only an i3 processor and Intel HD 3000 Graphics card) before and it runs super smoothly. Even the low settings on this game looks incredible. The characters, gameplayThis. Is. Excellent! I beg of you not to listen to the other reviewers (most of them seem to complain that it isn't like the other XCOM games?!) and try this game for yourself. I was playing this on my low(-ish) spec laptop (only an i3 processor and Intel HD 3000 Graphics card) before and it runs super smoothly. Even the low settings on this game looks incredible. The characters, gameplay and storyline seems pretty good so far. Controls are easy to use and quite intuitive... The people criticising this game for not being like the others should have known that, as it was made extremely clear that it's a 3rd person shooter. Buy it, try it, and I'm sure you'll like it! Expand
  13. Aug 28, 2013
    Its like a mass effect+xcom with a good story. I dont understand why review sites give 5-6 score to this game,
    Its a tactical shooter game with a lot of strategy, you must lead your teammates to battle, give orders to use their skills or make them move another location.
  14. Aug 27, 2013
    If the developers had not called XCOM then critics had been benevolent. Maybe they expected a common shooter like BF or COD, but They were surprised because it was a tactical action game. The AI is high quality, because the enemies react as they should, although sometimes surprising reactions from teammates.

I totally recommend it.
  15. Aug 27, 2013
    Great game! XCOM meets Mass Effect, with an above average story. It isn´t XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but it´s also very good on its own. It´s fun, intelligent, albeit not so long, and not really hard.
  16. Aug 29, 2013
    I feel the critics have been overly harsh with this game. I just finished it, having put approximately 20 hours into the game. Granted that was doing every side mission, and taking my time to listen to conversations. Its definitely not Enemy Unknown, but I enjoyed it non the less.

The story was compelling, if a bit rushed in parts, and I wish they had incorporated some more of the research and building aspects of Unknown but in the end I was completely happy with my purchase. The end of the game feels very rushed, and I would have liked a bit more diversity among my squad as I tended to use the same two for every mission.

Definitely worth a buy though, as long as your expectations are right
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    Fantastic game. Just finished it.
    This is *NOT* a strategy game, but a spin-off loosely based on the classic X-Com series.
    Most close definition would be a squad-based shooter.

This game was tremendous fun to play. The graphics are great. The gameplay was great. I loved the atmosphere, as well as the story.
    This game is highly underrated. Don't miss this one!
  18. Aug 27, 2013
    Pretty much everything I wanted from the canceled XCom Alliance game that we never got. Yes, it apes Mass Effect, in more than a few ways. It has the third person cover-based shooting and pause-and-command system of Mass Effect, along with the mechanic of storyline choice steering your experience.

While it lacks the overwhelming scope of the Mass Effect games, it does offer a deeper tactical system than found in Bioware's games.

The story is fun, even if you need to stretch your 'suspension of disbelief' a bit. Honestly, considering that you had to do the same for the previous X-com games, it's not a surprise. In the second half of the game, the stakes get raised and the plot twists in some interesting and unexpected ways.

The voice acting is pretty solid and the overall flavor of setting it in that weird time period of the space race, yet before the hippie cultural revolution was a jolting and interesting choice.

It is 3rd best X-com game, past the first and the recent tactical remake.

The game is not without it's flaws, of course. The lip syncing and actor motion capture lacks polish. Also, the graphics are stylized and simplistic, yet run horribly on the highest graphic settings. It's also rather brief, with very little in the way of fleshing out and side missions.

Also, it lacks the research, production, interception and base management of the previous games, so if that is what defines an Xcom game to you, you may be disappointed.

This game with has convinced me that this will be cult classic game, like Vampire: Bloodlines or Alpha Protocol (though not as broken as either of those) and that not everyone is meant to 'get it'.
  19. Aug 24, 2013
    This game is amazing. I have been having a blast playing it. Think of a mix of Xcom and Mass Effect. These 2 awesome games are brought to you in a single package. This was totally worth every penny I spent.
  20. Aug 22, 2013
    Overall I think its a pretty decent game, It's pretty fun if you like tactical shooters. The gameplay style and mechanics are very similar to Mass Effect I think the developers actually even came out and said they were shooting for Mass Effect 'ish gameplay mechanics. It has a very authentic 50's-early 60's theme and feel. Sure it's not like any of the other X-COM or XCOM games but thenOverall I think its a pretty decent game, It's pretty fun if you like tactical shooters. The gameplay style and mechanics are very similar to Mass Effect I think the developers actually even came out and said they were shooting for Mass Effect 'ish gameplay mechanics. It has a very authentic 50's-early 60's theme and feel. Sure it's not like any of the other X-COM or XCOM games but then again almost all the games in the series are very different from each other anyways. To some it isn't "X-COM enough" but that doesn't make it a bad game, The Bureau is good in its own way, and has even some typical features of a XCOM game like the customization of your squad member's names, load outs and uniform color. So... In a nut shell.

PROS:
    *Awesome 50's atmosphere that feels very original.

*Tactical combat is fun and creative.

*Very logical abilities of squad member classes.

CONS:
    * Limited amount of customization options.

* The facial expressions of some of the NPC's are kind of bad, considering the standard of games
    in this day and age.

*Feels kinda short for a story based tactical shooter, games like this are good with longevity.

*Some wasted opportunities that could of pushed this game higher would of been something similar to XCOM:EU's collecting resources on the battlefield and researching tech for better weapons and armor.

In summary, The Bureau isn't a bad entry in the XCOM, it can be pretty fun to utilize your squad's abilities in combat, I just feel it needed more features and longer and better character progression for the player and the squad members.
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    I feel the critics have been overly harsh with this game. I just finished it, having put approximately 30 hours into the game. Granted that was doing every side mission, and taking my time to listen to conversations. Its definitely not Enemy Unknown, but I enjoyed it non the less.

Definitely worth a buy though, as long as your expectations are right.
  22. Aug 23, 2013
    Fun game with a good story and challenging FPS tactical combat. It could use some polish and a better introduction first mission, but the squad customization and base exploration story telling is worth the play through.
  23. Aug 23, 2013
    Although not perfect I don't understand why the game is getting bad reviews. A few negatives are that only one key can be bind to each action and some agent abilities can be fiddly moving with the camera. Over all though this game is enjoyable and much better than some reviewers would have you believe.

I especially like the XCOM 60's theme and the GFX is good too. I probably would not pay £30 for it but considering I got it for £20 with all the pre-order bonuses I'm quite happy and will have fun playing it through once. I don't see this game having the replay ability of XCOM Enemy Unknown, but these are 2 fundamentally different games, so would be unfair to compare them. They share the same theme and that's where it ends.

Don't expect Battlefield 3 or Mass Effect 3 and look at this game as something unique.
  24. Aug 24, 2013
    Let me get this out of the way: The Bureau is not XCOM:EU or any other previous XCOM game; if you expected it to be then just leave. The Bureau is an interesting concept with some interesting mechanics, it's difficult but not overly. It feels a little clunky at times and has a HUGE learning curve: you're looking at about 2-3 hours before you even get close to the actual game. But none theLet me get this out of the way: The Bureau is not XCOM:EU or any other previous XCOM game; if you expected it to be then just leave. The Bureau is an interesting concept with some interesting mechanics, it's difficult but not overly. It feels a little clunky at times and has a HUGE learning curve: you're looking at about 2-3 hours before you even get close to the actual game. But none the less it is worth the money. Expand
  25. Aug 24, 2013
    As many others I don't get all the negative reviews.
    I'm an old fan of XCOM, I had my objections to latest XCOM Enemy Unknown, but Bureau is what I think it was supposed to be.
    Graphics look good, missions play nice, story is ok and basically it's what I expected, a TPP game in XCOM universe, that is something more than a shooter. So yeah, thanks 2K Marin, I hope you'll keep working on
    As many others I don't get all the negative reviews.
    So yeah, thanks 2K Marin, I hope you'll keep working on this branch of XCOM games.
  26. Aug 20, 2013
    First off, if you're looking for the sequel to Enemy Unknown, you're looking in the wrong place. This is a 3rd person squad based tactical shooter and it's a lot of fun. The story is excellent and I feel really immersed. The character models are amazing and it truly feels like the 1960's.

Fans of the series should definitely give it a shot.
  27. Aug 21, 2013
    10/10 it's not a pure xcom okay deal with it but it's a good game not a bad game 10/10 because so many want this game so bad so i just want to equilibrate the score sorry for my english
  28. Jun 30, 2014
    This game is under rated. I have played for about 5 hours now and the combat is a blast, story seems interesting, good graphics, and good character development. IMO the combat is better than turn based. You can directly instruct your men as to what weapon to use and what target to hit, yet they will act on their own, somewhat effectively, in between commands. As your commands are beingThis game is under rated. I have played for about 5 hours now and the combat is a blast, story seems interesting, good graphics, and good character development. IMO the combat is better than turn based. You can directly instruct your men as to what weapon to use and what target to hit, yet they will act on their own, somewhat effectively, in between commands. As your commands are being followed your player acts as a third person shooter with access to both conventional, alien weapons and some cool alien powers - a total alien annihilator, As for the to cool for anything 'cept XCOM crowd, get over yourself - TBXCOMD is as good a game, and better in aspects, vs. XCOM, If you like TPS and Turn Based (less focused Turn based) with an old time si-fi twist, you'll like the game-it's a lot of fun. Expand
  29. Aug 26, 2013
    I don't understand the bad reviews this game has got, it's excellent. There might be few techncial glitches but the story and gameplay is pure solid gold! If you're into games like Mass Effect this one is just for you, It's tactical 3rd person shooter with a lot of story elements. Some people might play it without doing additional investigation quests and without reading notes and audioI don't understand the bad reviews this game has got, it's excellent. There might be few techncial glitches but the story and gameplay is pure solid gold! If you're into games like Mass Effect this one is just for you, It's tactical 3rd person shooter with a lot of story elements. Some people might play it without doing additional investigation quests and without reading notes and audio logs, then I understand why they don't like this. This is for patient players who like to read a good story while playing. Recommended! Expand
  30. Sep 1, 2013
    I really did enjoy my time playing this game, but it did have its flaws which made this game not as good as it could have been. I'm alright on how the story went out since it was interesting and there are people that are complaining about it being confusing like are you suppose to understand everything early in the game? I don't think so. I don't mind that this is a 3rd person shooterI really did enjoy my time playing this game, but it did have its flaws which made this game not as good as it could have been. I'm alright on how the story went out since it was interesting and there are people that are complaining about it being confusing like are you suppose to understand everything early in the game? I don't think so. I don't mind that this is a 3rd person shooter since it had something unique to it which was the commands.

The score I'm giving it is a 7.5 because there isn't really a perm death to squad-mates with these checkpoints. Also the customization is weak (My opinion). The squad would still get shot down when in cover mostly.
  31. Aug 24, 2013
    This game is very decent. People complain and ALWAYS want to compare to ME. When this game is its own. This game is no different than Xcom: EU, other than you move about "realtime", you aim-n-shoot "real-time", and the obvious its in 3d person. You unlock parts of the base and new technology (same as before). The cover system is there (full, lite), give your agents orders to attack,This game is very decent. People complain and ALWAYS want to compare to ME. When this game is its own. This game is no different than Xcom: EU, other than you move about "realtime", you aim-n-shoot "real-time", and the obvious its in 3d person. You unlock parts of the base and new technology (same as before). The cover system is there (full, lite), give your agents orders to attack, depending on the enemies position and type of cover affects damage (same as before), flanking, expose, etc..

You build your team skills by picking paths of perks (same as before)....I swear I don't see how some are complaining, if you like waiting 4 turns before your turn come around to shoot then turn base is for you and maybe you might be disappointed. But if you like the best of both worlds Xcom has to offer, tactical strategy and realtime combat, then get this game, I like this game
  32. Aug 26, 2013
    I have been playing this for a day or so now and despite the meta-critic score it has been an enjoyable experience! The game kind of reminds me of playing Mass Effect but with the XCOM squad command features thrown in. A different take on the XCOM universe and playing from a first person perspective is different but good.
  33. Aug 26, 2013
    First of all, this game is a genuine spin-off of the X-COM series.

Gameplay: 9 The shooting is amazing, the controls is fast to respond, and the hitbox is precise. The character walk is great, all the controls is great. Only some times you dont know if pass a door you cant acess the previous area, this is bad, you must know if can re-open a door. Graphics: 8 The game starts as a
    First of all, this game is a genuine spin-off of the X-COM series.

Graphics: 8 The game starts as a cold game, not so many explosions, some times the sincronism of the speech and the lips of the characters is ridiculous wrong and ugly. But after 40% of the game, the game engage on a great time, real great graphics like alien bridge, alien doors, alien space ship, smoke everywhere, directx 11 made a great improviment.

Sound: 7 The worse score in this game, because dont have a GREAT impactant theme sound, all the same music in the headquarter, the combate have same music, and the some sound effects is the same archive of other games. Its not worse because the final ending mission is AWSOME, great music and all.

History: 9 Good plot, but lack of real decisions, u only have a real choise in the final mission, and its not a huge impact in the ending. The main character could have a better focus and narrative, with cut cenes. And the enemys could have a better explanation of their acts, some times u must make a effort to let some plot holes not interfer in the logic.

System: 7 Here your have an area to improve, The game could have the areas as functional, like, on the laboratory u can research upgrades for weapons/itens ate some cost. On the radio tower u could have to build and acess to new missions. Engineering could have to biuld/maintain the avengers. And the soldiers could have better development, maybe some stats, u can use point to distribute, but the soldiers are all like the same with minor changes.
  34. Aug 26, 2013
    I'm a big XCOM fan and have been since i was a kid. I knew what i was getting into and i'm really happy with what i got. An OTS with strong tactical elements. It's not a turn based game, it's fast and intense and sometimes frustrating, but overall i am enjoying the hell out of it.
  35. Aug 27, 2013
    Better than Mass Effect, which I never play again after a few hours. Tactic is everything not a run and gun game. I gave 8 because of squad edit menu can be done in a better way and a little graphic hungry. I was hoping they include research management and such. I'm playing this more than Enemy Unknown for now.
  36. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall it is a pretty decent game, with an interesting atmosphere. This is a well done game, that shows nothing exceptional: I found the combat system too easy. The graphics are nice and the story is really great, but I don't think this game will be a classic. Sadly not too long (took me 12 hours on veteran), and the replayability is not too high (although there are a few endings which might be interesting to see).

The game is a simple TPS, copying the Mass Effect franchise in most aspects; the combat system is virtually the same (squad of 3, giving orders while time is practically stopped, TPS cover, etc) and it is not as well done as in ME2 or 3, nonetheless it is good; if you liked those, you won't have a bad time.
    The game is set in the '60s of USA, which I found a bit cliche, but well done cliche; the aliens are nice, though not really different from eachother, and also not too original. There are hundreds of cannon fodder with some minibosses (giving shield, drones, support, etc), snipers, and some bosses which are only fun in the beginning, but after a while they get really repetitive.
    The combat works well, I found that while you can choose from 4 types of squadmates (which you can customise further) you will end up with the same 2 after a while, simply because those are the best. This makes the imbalanced combat even easier: although you will die sometimes on Veteran (usually thanks to the sometimes stupid AI of the squadmates), the game gets gradually easier towards the end. The checkpoints are well placed, so even if you bite the dust, you won't loose much time.
    There is an HQ where you can kill some time between missions (like the Normandy in ME), but it is not even close to the spaceship: the characters are just not as interesting.
    The story is interesting: in the beginning you want answers about the aliens, but as it goes on, you will find a larger mystery, and it tells a unique and interesting tale, with a few really good turns!
    Graphics are nice, polished but not too flashy, but the sounds are mediocre nothing too good, nothing too bad.
  37. Aug 28, 2013
    While the definitely tried to go a different route, the game itself wasn't badly executed. It has a good story and offers closure to said story unlike in xcom enemy unknown. Which I enjoyed for another reason all together. However the game was completed in 11 hours. This could have been greatly been improved if the game had more optional quests. The stifled skill trees of normalWhile the definitely tried to go a different route, the game itself wasn't badly executed. It has a good story and offers closure to said story unlike in xcom enemy unknown. Which I enjoyed for another reason all together. However the game was completed in 11 hours. This could have been greatly been improved if the game had more optional quests. The stifled skill trees of normal characters seemed to cap out way to quickly and you are left only leveling your main character. However its not totally unenjoyable experience I truly enjoyed the story though the game was short you still connected with the main character. Many thing they could of added like base construction and missions to get certain things to build up your base, and the option to switch between tactical between and FPS it would have been able to please ALL its fans but that would require a great deal of capital and effort. Overall it was a fascinating game which left you craving for more sadly there is nothing more it offers for the re-playability seems sparse at best. Expand
  38. Sep 7, 2013
    I liked it! Very similar to the films from the old days. The game has an atmosphere that is now rare. But shuternyh part of me seemed incomplete, shooting is not happy, but tactically it feels comfortable with. Overall impressions write if passing game, and while it's pretty good.

P.S. Finally there is a Russian voice, and I already forgot what it is, let it not a strong quality, but I do not care so pleasant.
  39. Aug 20, 2013
    Hey man, it isn't tactical turn based Xcom...it's more like tactical Mass Effect 1-3. Since I enjoyed ME 1-3 I'll be enjoying this. But if you're looking for X-com vanilla, don't but this...
  40. Aug 20, 2013
    Not sure why others don't see this as an XCOM game. XCOM have tried different game types in the past. Some more successful than others. For a third person shooter it feels right. And I get to actually shoot the aliens this time myself instead of just targeting and hoping. Fun.

This is a game I've enjoyed playing, that's why I give it a 10/10.
  41. Aug 20, 2013
    The game feels fresh and is fun to play. I like the spacebar command prompt. Looks proper tidy on the eyes. I got this after playing EU and liking that. So far I'm not disappointed with this purchase.
  42. Aug 21, 2013
    Coming into The Bureau, I was expecting a mediocre experience at best. In my 8 hours spent with it I've learned I was wrong. So far the combat has been incredibly satisfying. Lifting a Sectoid into the air and ordering a Sniper to use a critical strike to blow its head clean off its shoulders feels incredibly fantastic. I don't know how they did it, but it feels (to me at least) like anComing into The Bureau, I was expecting a mediocre experience at best. In my 8 hours spent with it I've learned I was wrong. So far the combat has been incredibly satisfying. Lifting a Sectoid into the air and ordering a Sniper to use a critical strike to blow its head clean off its shoulders feels incredibly fantastic. I don't know how they did it, but it feels (to me at least) like an XCOM game. Graphically, the game looks good. Not great, just good. I must admit, I had no idea that there was PhysX suport and I haven't used it yet. The story so far has been alright. Nothing truly spectacular, although it does keep me on the edge of my seat trying to figure out who you can trust. Squad customization is not nearly as deep as it is in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but it's there. So in short, I'm enjoying my time with the game a great deal. If you enjoy XCOM and are looking for a diversion until XCOM: Enemy Within comes out, then I highly recommend this game. If you've never played XCOM before, then I suggest starting with Enemy Unknown, not The Bureau, because c'mon, Enemy Unknown was awesome. Expand
  43. Aug 23, 2013
    The Bureau IS worth the 50$! I have been an avid x-com fan since day one and have owned it on every system. The controls could use a little fine tuning however, the story and flow of the game are both great!

If you haven't played the game. Imagine a typical action adventure game except with a twist whenever you encounter the enemy you can press space bar and slow the combat down extremely and issue orders to your guys just like a typical battle in x-com. Okay, so it's not exactly like that but it feels similar. This game is unique! Anyone who says otherwise is more than likely quick to judge or a pubescent little girl! Remember a 9 nine year old can post on Metacritic! Judge for yourself!
  44. Aug 20, 2013
    10/10 Well done a good job storyline wise the controls are TOP It has the same strategy as all the other
    x-com's but with a much better story it also added the hole 3d person thing witch at first I was disliking and now I love it Just give this game a chance and it will work its love on you!
  45. Aug 20, 2013
    I don't understand the bad reviews

Solid Third person shooter, not very innovative in this department but gets the job done and is very enjoyable(why take points away for that) The tactics are fun and different the game took a lot of risk and i applaud that rather than just being a mass effect 2 clone. I will add the tactics in battle may not be for everyone but if your not a fan of
    I don't understand the bad reviews

The tactics are fun and different the game took a lot of risk and i applaud that rather than just being a mass effect 2 clone. I will add the tactics in battle may not be for everyone but if your not a fan of tactics don't rate this game badly because your not good at it

The story is entertaining enough and made me want to finish the game what else could you ask for? i see too much complaining about what the game isn't but it does not get any credit for what it is

reviewers rather give games like Saints Row 4 which was just a clone of saints row the third with super powers great scores because its simple minded and easy. I give a game like SR4 a 6 its the same thing as saints row the third with annoying super powers i did not even want them in the game wish they were optional.

Thank you 2k Marin for trying something different the game is solid and fun I hope these biased reviews don't completely mess up your sales game is worth the money
  46. Aug 25, 2013
    Played the game to near completion and I must say this game does not deserve those low scores. Story is interesting, the shooter mechanic is fun and the premise of the game is amazing. Don't let the reviewers discourage you from getting this game. If you enjoy Mass Effect you'll enjoy this game tremendously.

AI is dumb at the beginning and needs a lot of micro management but as you go

AI is dumb at the beginning and needs a lot of micro management but as you go up in level they grow smarter as well, as it should be. Fiddle with the customizable control if you find the PC settings to be a bit challenging. It will grow on you after awhile. If you are used to playing ME then you'd know how to play this game, you have to keep using your Battle Focus to be effective, always go for the recon NPC as they have the critical strike which is a very powerful attack.

PC is still the way to go I guess. Turn off the PhysX and Screen Decal settings if you experience slowdown, just some tip for PC users who finds this game to be a resource hog. This is my first time in metacritic but I really have to write because of all those negative reviews out there have to put in something positive. There are tons of good game releases this week but I find it that this is the game I'm putting my time on. Love this game!
  47. Aug 23, 2013
    I enjoy this game very much. I like the grafic-style, the details in the xcom-base, the ironman-gamemode while in action/battle and i like the mix of shooter and tactic (tactic-shooter). The only thing which annoys me a little bit is the console-port-hotkey-stuff. A suitable interface for the PC-version would be much better.
  48. Sep 6, 2013
    Hey, guys, you say that the game is very different from the series XCOM, but I can tell you that we should not be so conservative in this world is changing, and if you leave the same series of games, it all quickly get bored. But what about the game, the game I very much liked the first held on the second, then the third and last. All the complexity of the game is revealed at the lastHey, guys, you say that the game is very different from the series XCOM, but I can tell you that we should not be so conservative in this world is changing, and if you leave the same series of games, it all quickly get bored. But what about the game, the game I very much liked the first held on the second, then the third and last. All the complexity of the game is revealed at the last level of complexity. This difficulty I have not seen in any game. In general, ten points an excellent game. Expand
  49. Aug 25, 2013
    First thing is to accept, YES its a console port, if you are not "Ok" with that, don't bother.
    Second, not worth without a controller, playing with keyboard and mouse is too painful.
    Took me about 25h to finish the game with all side quests (Must say I'm not a hardcore gamer) The bads, the first missions (tutorials) felt too long and the learning curve was too high, characters are

The bads, the first missions (tutorials) felt too long and the learning curve was too high, characters are stereotyped and there are some ridiculous bugs, friendly AI teleporting, physics and camera issues, and some objects and textures popping.

Besides that I like the game, was sceptical about the game play, not being able to build and manage my base, investigate new tech and so on, but after playing few missions I stop caring about that and focus on squad skills and perks, story and character customization, still got the feeling of "what next" that I love form the xcom games, even if was in lesser degree.

The encounters are nicely done, the variety of enemies is good, I found myself asking, "what are they going to throw at me next" multiple times, still has a lot of room for improvement but I enjoyed the experience.

Will rated a 70-75 but will give it a 8 for trying to do something different from the typical Xcom games (nothing against them) maybe someday we see a more dynamic combat in XCom: Enemy
  50. Aug 25, 2013
    It's like a mass effect with XCOM story. They should increase the team number up to 5 same as XCOM:Enemy. and more base strategy. many aspect of the game are too simple. for example only two item a squad can equip. The strategy focus is funny but should add more command. for example hide, hold you ground. The technical item should be have more function. not just increase some kind ofIt's like a mass effect with XCOM story. They should increase the team number up to 5 same as XCOM:Enemy. and more base strategy. many aspect of the game are too simple. for example only two item a squad can equip. The strategy focus is funny but should add more command. for example hide, hold you ground. The technical item should be have more function. not just increase some kind of damage.This is not a really XCOM game should be.
    but whatever I play this game over 10 hours. and I enjoy the time. it's a good game but should be better
  51. Aug 25, 2013
    Having not played the series I'll rate this as a stand alone game and tbh it's really pretty good.
    This is a solid 8/10 game though it does feel like a console to PC port which means it feels better played with the controller as the keyboard/mouse feels a little clunky
  52. Oct 2, 2014
    XCOM DECLASSIFIED = IS A COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING: 1) XCOM ENEMY WITHIN (GAME PLAY) 2) INFAMOUS (POWERS OF WILLIAM CARTER) 3) LAST OF US (SLEEP WALKERS) 4) CALL OF DUTY (WAR BETWEEN MAN & ALIEN TACTICAL SHOOTING) 5) L.A. NOIRE (1962 CLASSIC TIME SETTING) ---------- IF YOU ARE A FAN OF XCOM GAME THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!! ------------ The Bureau is a third-person shooter with anXCOM DECLASSIFIED = IS A COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING: 1) XCOM ENEMY WITHIN (GAME PLAY) 2) INFAMOUS (POWERS OF WILLIAM CARTER) 3) LAST OF US (SLEEP WALKERS) 4) CALL OF DUTY (WAR BETWEEN MAN & ALIEN TACTICAL SHOOTING) 5) L.A. NOIRE (1962 CLASSIC TIME SETTING) ---------- IF YOU ARE A FAN OF XCOM GAME THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!! ------------ The Bureau is a third-person shooter with an emphasis on squad-based tactics. The player controls the agent William Carter and commands two additional agents in each mission. Carter has his own unique abilities, but other agents are divided into the Commando, Engineer, Support, and Recon classes. By entering "Battle Focus Mode", which slows time significantly, the player can order their agents to move to strategic positions and activate class-specific abilities. Agents have customizable outfits, weapons, equipment and abilities. As in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, soldiers will suffer from permanent death and if Carter is unable to revive agents who have taken too much damage, they will die (variable difficulty levels also determine whether or not it is possible for downed agents to become battle-ready when revived, or if replacement agents will appear during a mission). Expand
  53. Oct 2, 2013
    Great game, great story (with a twist). Wish there was more to the side missions where you send some agents to do them besides getting a (mostly) useless backpack (plenty of those in the game). I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. I wish there was more variety in weapons and upgrades and the fact your agents can only get up to lv5.
  54. Aug 27, 2013
    I love the game so far. It is a really well done TBS, I really enjoy this mix of tactical planning with TBS, I like the scanning tactical layer, agent management and side missions(sending agents is fun too) and squaddies AI is solid as well i play on Veteran. Setting and level detailing is awesome, abilities feel diverse and fun to use.
    On the negative, the narrative is patchy, the
    On the negative, the narrative is patchy, the beginning lacks suspense and magnitude of you know, alien invasion, aliens feel not so alien. Laser turrets on level one? yes I know it has a somewhat plausible explanation and what not, but the could at least show Carter's shock at seeing these techs? And even then, it looks really strange all these all style computers and laser turrets projecting from nothing.. Carter throwing alien blobes and no one asking questions? Wierd..

Overall, I'd give this game a solid 8 for uniqueness and gameplay.

To elaborate a bit more on my impression:

Things I Love:

1. The setting is just awesome. Authentic 60s feel, all the decorations and dialogues are just full of 60's feel
    2. The graphics are very nice to look at, like someone else have said, well done on those alien animations, every enemy is really different and unique. Some environments look fantastic. Artstyle is unique
    3. Music is awesome, really spooky and thought-provoking.
    4. Mostly decent voiceovers.
    5. Gameplay is a blast. tactical mode is awesome. How do you use your valuable time in battle focus? Give orders straight away or firstly analyze the environment and enemies via scanning? Mix of different abilities really open up strategies and tactics. The gameplay is really awesome.
    6. I love the narrative overall. The storyline is solid so far with some twists, all little voice recording and notes found on the mission add to the experience, as do investigations in between the missions.
    7. Agent disposal missions add some depth to the game.

Things I don't really like:

1. Lack of build up and anticipation opening missions are lackluster.
    2. Technologies are not properly explained.
    3. Bonuses from backpacks are not properly explained.
    4. Usage of new weapons in mission straight after picking them up.
    5. Lack of real desicions early and in mid game.
    6. Classes are not clearly defined: why do commandos give protective shields to others?
    7. Narrative is somewhat patchy: some illogical decisions and dialogues in the game.
    8. Outsiders feel not alien enough.
    9. Sound effects are disappointing.
    10. Level designs are too linear, ME3-esque.

Overall, the game is solid 8. However I gave it '10' here due to too negative unfair reviews here.
  55. Jan 29, 2014
    Critics are wrong. It has the most expensive polygons i've ever seen. It is wonderfully voiced. It's gorgeously tactical yet perfectly first ''persony''. Theres even a perk/upgrade system not unlike Mass Effects.

If i made this game i'd have expected better reviews. I suspect the people reviewing this game were chosen by the editors for their expertise in reviewing tactical games.

If i made this game i'd have expected better reviews.

I suspect the people reviewing this game were chosen by the editors for their expertise in reviewing tactical games. This game is half tactical ergo the half-hearted reviews.

This game failed to disappoint me and im saddened it took me so long to play it because of my respect for the average metacritic review score. Lesson learned
  56. Jan 24, 2014
    I picked this up on a Steam sale and all I can say is that the critics really got it wrong on this one when it first came out. It plays very much like Brothers in Arms, but with aliens and sic-fi tech. The look and feel of the game is really great, they nailed the early 60's esthetic. The main character is kind of cool, a WW2 vet, turned CIA agent whose seen a lot of **** and no he's gotI picked this up on a Steam sale and all I can say is that the critics really got it wrong on this one when it first came out. It plays very much like Brothers in Arms, but with aliens and sic-fi tech. The look and feel of the game is really great, they nailed the early 60's esthetic. The main character is kind of cool, a WW2 vet, turned CIA agent whose seen a lot of **** and no he's got to take on aliens.

I feel kind of bad for the Devs of this game, to me it's obvious they put a ton of effort in here, and got nailed by critics because it happened to have XCOM in the title and didn't strictly stick to formula. But trust me this is a strategy game at it's heart.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is the most underrated game of 2013
  57. Dec 13, 2013
    highly underrated. nice graphics, good voice acting and an intriguing story is what you get in this little gem. it is definetely not XCOM though, more like a parallel universe.
  58. Dec 8, 2013
    I was so excited when i first heard about this game. Then after the release and the first diassapointing reviews i refused to play it. When i finished playing XCOM Enemy Within i needed more so i decided to try it out. And i was suprised! It's an excellent game, state of the art graphics, sound, music. Great XCOM atmoshpere combined with the depressing era of 60's. A very good storyI was so excited when i first heard about this game. Then after the release and the first diassapointing reviews i refused to play it. When i finished playing XCOM Enemy Within i needed more so i decided to try it out. And i was suprised! It's an excellent game, state of the art graphics, sound, music. Great XCOM atmoshpere combined with the depressing era of 60's. A very good story explaining the origin of XCOM and the saga in general. Gameplay is basically a more tactical copy of Mass Effect but who cares.It fits pretty nicely.
    I enjoyed the game for every minute. Truly listen to your instict when it comes to games. Don't rely on the reviewers only. Terrific game.
  59. Mar 28, 2016
    People buy the game before investigating and later criticize this for not no being what they expect. This game belongs to the X-com series, yes, but is a spin-off, complements the story, but the gameplay is very different (and enjoyable in its own style).
  60. Dec 2, 2013
    I have bought the game three days ago during a sale on Steam. The only research I did was checking scores here and watching two videos from gameplay. I was fully aware of the turbulent history of this game and that it is a nearly a miracle it was released at all. Given all this I must say I was pleasantly surprised.
    The game mostly resembles Mass Effect in a different universe but with
    The game mostly resembles Mass Effect in a different universe but with very similar mechanics. So it is a TPS where you command two other squadmates fulfilling main and optional missions using one base of operations. And instead of figting across the galaxy, you are fighting aliens invading Earth in the year 1962.
    The story itself is a typical science fiction alien invasion one using parts of the Xcom universe. So everyone familiar with Xcom will knwo what a Sectoid or Muton is. Between missions you can wander around your main base talking to people and making some optional missions for your colleagues. Talking about colleagues, the game has many interesting NPC like a german main scientist. Also during your wandering around you will encounter some funny dialogues and moments. All in all the base looks much more alive than the Normandy in ME.
    And now to some negative parts. The main problem I am encountering is the AI of your squadmates. If you give them orders contantly, it not so bad. But if you leave them alone a little longer, they will make really stupid things. They really love to running from enemy grenades right in fron of enemy guns. They also seems incapable if using their special abilities by themselves so you must tell them all the time. The second problem is the length of the game. It took me 14 hours. It is not that short, however I would expect something about 20 hours. Other than that, I am really satisfied with the game. It has qute a good graphics using the Unreal 3 engine and even a DX11 support (which I have not tried eventhough I have a DX11 card).
  61. Feb 12, 2017
    1st review - Oct 19, 2013 / Score - 7
    Boring, unlogically created plot, boring main hero, boring missions. Boring, boring, boring, boring. And ending is also boring... I am really sad I've preordered this nonsense.
    The only thing I relly liked fighting/leveling system, but this game is really mediocre and I am pretty not sure I will replay it soon enough... 2nd review - Dec 25. 2015
    1st review - Oct 19, 2013 / Score - 7

2nd review - Dec 25. 2015 / Score - 10
    It took me 2 replays with half a year and 1.5 year periods to re-estimate the game completely =) Also I bought all DLCs =)
    Hangar DLC is good for those, who'd prefer to spend more time shooting without extra dialogues in The Bureau, and also it's quite a good prequel to the main story :)
    Game's replay-ability is fine (as you can see I had re-played it 3 times already, even that I didn't like it on my first round) :)

Advice: replay games that left unsure impression after a long period of time, you may really change your mind =)
  62. Jul 24, 2014
    An interesting hybrid that functions quite well, but will probably not meet the tastes of a broader audience. The tactical elements are fun, upgrading and equipping your squad adds a bit of an incentive and the enemies are challenging (if not terribly smart).
    Only occasionally does the dumb AI of your followers cause trouble (they are really meant to be ordered around as much as possible), and the graphics and level of polish are excellent. The 60s- atmosphere was also captured in such a way that you want to buy a suit and start smoking indoors again...
  63. Mar 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay I've been reading the negative reviews for this game and I have to say either they went into to the game and don't know how to play it, or they believed the hype. I'm going to rebut a few of these negative claims and add some positives. First off, someone mentioned the guns feeling under powered, in this game you're fighting off an alien invasion force with human weaponry, it's the 1950's maybe, so the guns are what we used during WW2, and we are fighting an advanced life form. Secondly they complained about the real time squad control, that slows down the fight to literally a CRAWL. If you use this right, you can end any fight in a matter of moments, positioning your people prior to being seen by the enemy.

The gameplay is very much like Mass Effect, which to me was the ultimate shooter/rpg/strategy hybrid. The game takes place before Enemy Unknown, explains why there is an X:Com project ongoing, and much more. This game is a must have for any Xcom Fan
  64. nhh
    Jul 13, 2014
    Great atmosphere, reasonable shooter. Does have bugs and freezes on a mac, which is quite annoying. Nevertheless, the story is quite good and I love the presentation.
  65. Nov 7, 2015
    The first hour, I hate it. After 3 hours I tolerated it. After 4 hours I was pleased. After 6 hours I was loving it. After that I was too anti-social to describe how much I was enjoying.

Don't let metascore and user score stop you on that one. If you are a XCOM fan, you'll hate this game for hours before being convinced. Really. I know that this even looks like an XCOM game from the start but wait a little longer and you'll have an awesome surprise. Wonderful art direction, fun gameplay and an undecryptable plot with the best twist ever.
  66. Oct 7, 2014
    Outstanding game. Story line too linear for my liking. I played it twice, back to back, and enjoyed it even more the second time playing as veteran. However, have I mentioned that the story line is too linear?
  67. May 19, 2016
    Отличная игра, прошел с большим удовольствием. Не понимаю почему такая низкая оценка, в игре есть все для отдыха, и драйв, и экшн и хороший сюжет. 8 баллов.
  68. Oct 26, 2013

1. Nov 6, 2013
    For all that The Bureau get’s wrong, it is at least a passable tactical shooter with a novel, well-realised setting. If you love the golden age of science-fiction, there’s something here for you. Just don’t expect it to ever get truly interesting, because XCOM Declassified never captures what XCOM is all about.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified does not deliver. It is not bad, but rather depressingly average. [Sept 2013]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Sep 25, 2013
    A competent tactical shooter that doesn't push any boundaries and is only peripherally related to XCOM. [Oct 2013, p.96]