7.9

1. Sep 6, 2012
    Great game... I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just like its predecessor, there's lots of stealth, combat, cliffhangers, great story and writing, fairly difficult enemies, etc. And this time around there's a wee damsel in distress to save... what's better than that?? The game is reasonably short so easy to get it over with and back to real life. (i personally hate games that go on and on interminably.. some of us have real lives, you know!)

there were a few bugs (upon entering a level, the lighting is wrong.. fixed by reloading the checkpoint).. but nothing serious..
  2. Jan 16, 2011
    To be honest, when i played the Butcher's Bay demo years ago, i thought i won't like this game, but i had to admit that I was wrong :
    With the whole story (not the cut from demo), the good voice cast (play it in english guys!) and the good mix of steal-action-adventure, Riddick game is a succes: some part (sneaking into the dark and kill silently) reminds me Hitman, some others hunt-phase
    reminds me AvP, and the overal story is as good as a game-from-movie should be..
    Of course, the game is not perfect (keyb assign can be better, also like some secondary caracter's anims), but for a low priced game, i thing we got a very great deal!
    The story from 2004 is also in, so its 2 good game for 1 bought.
    Nice ;)
  3. Jan 22, 2011
    I liked this. Good shooter/sneeker. Not exactly open world but ;evel design reminded a bit of Deus Ex (in structure rather than appearance). Good antidote to the current bout of corridor shooters.
  4. May 10, 2012
    Super game in all respects. The grapics were clear, even though a bit too dark at times. The plot was complex to the point that I needed a walkthrough to get through Escape from Butcher Bay. The best thing about both games was that cut scenes were kept to a minimum so that the game moved fast.
  5. Sep 3, 2011
    My my, better than the movie. graphics aren't the best, but for the 5 dollars I paid for this game, it's quite good. Hand to hand combat is fun, but some firefights do loose the riddicky feel.
  6. Jan 7, 2012
    absolutely amazing. The storyline is fantastic, the tension is brilliant. Why didn't they hire these guys to make the movies? Lurking in the shadows... waiting to pounce... so much fun. There's only been a few times in my life when I wanted to jump into the game and kick @ss, from an emotional standpoint when the kid's mother is murdered by that prisoner... oh, man I enjoyed beating him to death.
    When you find out what the pirates are doing to their captives... that really made me want to kill every last one of them. While there is a strong stealth aspect to the game, I made it a point to go and kill every last one of those space pirates.
  7. May 7, 2012
    Anybody who panned this game is friggin' retarded. Very evocative of the movies, extremely enjoyable to play, very little to complain about. Fighting is visceral and enjoyable, environments are engrossing and if you buy it in a bundle with the original game it's an exceptional value. Throws a few curve balls to shake you out of complacency, and there is as much fun to be had stealthing around as running and gunning. What I enjoyed the most is the game starts with you being incarcerated in a super-max prison that no-one should be able to escape -- and after you do just that the lengths your captors go to contain you just get wilder and wilder from there. There are a couple of moments in this game I will NEVER forget -- and that's saying something. Great bargain, great game, great fun. Expand
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    Assault on Dark Athena is an odd mix. There are some really cool gameplay sections in the game and the mix of brawling, shooting and sneaking does its part to keep the game feeling fresh. The game do however have its fair share of problems. Even though the shooting and brawling in the game works well enough cant they compete with other games in similar genres. The brawling feels stiffer and and more button-mashingy than i remembered it to be from Butcher bay, and the shooting simply doesnt feel up to date with the current standard. Add some framerate problems, needless backtracking, dumb quickslots options ,annoying checkpoints and you will get a game that is a bit rough around the edges to say the least. The game is still alright though and if you like the genre you could do worse. Especially considering that you get the original for "free" with the game. Expand
  9. Dec 1, 2011
    Immerse yourself in the role of Riddick...the baddest **** in the universe. Two games in this package make it a great value. It's pretty much like playing in a movie--a very cool sci-fi experience. The gameplay offers a typical run and gun shooter with some stealth aspects from Splinter Cell. Graphics and voice acting are both top notch, plus it's controller enabled. Both the story and level design are a little on the linear side, but it's a fun game and worth a playthrough. Expand
  10. Oct 27, 2013
    The fact that this contains the phenomenal "butcher bay" gives it an automatic 10. The Dark athena parts are also excellent and have a stronger focus on melee which suits the game very well. The characters aren't as well rounded and interesting as Butcher bay but he extra additions to the mechanics of the game are very welcome.
  11. May 4, 2013
    Each section is designed for a particular style of gameplay. So you'll be going from a stealth section to a brawling one, then the last third of the game being an all out shooter. This is really jarring having to switch from one to other. Rather than having any emergent gameplay, you are forced into one or the other.

+Graphics are nice and have a distinct design
    +Voice acting is top
    notch
    +Multiplayer is surprisingly fun on pitch black mode
    +We get to see a brief glimpse of a planet that is real beautiful and serene.

-It seems to lack ideas, this sequel if you can call it that.
    It feels like the chronicles of riddick movie in that it feels like a ham fisted attempt at squeezing all the mystique out of everything while giving us only the bare bones of story, characters. We aren't even given any side missions to do like we could in escape from butcher bay.
    -a fair bit shorter than the previous game, and for such a short game you do a fair bit of backtracking.
    -level design is no where near upto par of the previous games, dark athena isn't the big sprawling ship you think. Its basically a series of corridoors with some storage areas and robot storage. One short section in the "labs".
    -gameplay isn't up to par, you are always forced into stealth, brawling or shooting. You're never given a choice, its always one course of action that a section is designed for.
    -Ironlord is the cheapest enemy in the series, he counterattacks you every time (and it takes out one hp each hit) so you can never hit him first. This is why the counter attack system is always so stupid to be included in multiplayer or against unfairly cheap AI. You can never attack first or you automatically get hit.
    -You can't resign weapon keys. The sprint key doesn't work in single player.
  12. May 4, 2013

+Graphics are nice and have a distinct design
    +Voice acting is top
    notch
    +Multiplayer is surprisingly fun on pitch black mode
    +We get to see a brief glimpse of a planet that is real beautiful and serene.

-It seems to lack ideas, this sequel if you can call it that.
    -You can't resign weapon keys. The sprint key doesn't work in single player.

1. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena gets stuck in one gear for too long. Even though the game has many same aspects as the great Escape from Butcher Bay, the pacing is bad and the action forces you to run through the same corridors over and over again. The included Escape from Butcher Bay is still a masterpiece, however. [Mar 2009]
  2. A brutally enjoyable stealth shooter that revisits and builds on the success of the original Escape from Butcher Bay. [May 2009, p.84]
  3. Not in any way groundbreaking, but two games in one and hugely entertaining nonetheless. [Issue#18, p.52]