8.7

1. Mar 1, 2014
    Amazingly great game, I was hooked from the very first moment when Riddick arrived to Butcher Bay. My first impression of the game however, was that it would probably just be another shooter with stealth elements, except this time you're playing as the infamous Riddick. I was surprised to discover that the stealth elements in this game was fairly over my expectations, and the experienceAmazingly great game, I was hooked from the very first moment when Riddick arrived to Butcher Bay. My first impression of the game however, was that it would probably just be another shooter with stealth elements, except this time you're playing as the infamous Riddick. I was surprised to discover that the stealth elements in this game was fairly over my expectations, and the experience just got better as you you delved deeper into the high security prison where the use of darkness is utilized in the best possible way by the developers.

The many different areas of Butcher Bay gives the game a larger variety of atmospheric feelings, and you will sooner or later stop for a few minutes just to analyze the beautiful environments. Making a prison compelling and realistic might not be so easy for a level designer, but this one nails it. Although, there are moments in the game where you go like "Who designed this? It doesn't even make sense?". Some missions tend to get very repetitive, and the principle of going back and forward is common in this game. Bring me that, come back to me, go talk to that person, help him out, go there, go back etc etc.

The game is quite short, but it's packed with tons of quality and I rather have quality over quantity. The combat in Butcher Bay first reminded me of the one found in FEAR, and they're are quite similar if you compare them except for the bullet-time. There are so many things that I can't point out with this game, it's one of the best experiences I've ever had while playing a first person shooter. Role playing is somewhat restricted, but there are plenty of things you can do in this game as you take on the role as Riddick.

If you're ever looking for a great action experience, play this game, without any doubt. This is how every first person shooter should be made nowadays.
  2. Mar 20, 2013
    I like the voice work and the graphics, especially the shadows, look great. Game play is and should be the biggest part of a game... that is why it is called a game. The game is too difficult and long-winded. It takes forever to get the night vision, which I thought would be a big part because of the fact that you play as Riddick. If, in the game, you did not die so quick so the playerI like the voice work and the graphics, especially the shadows, look great. Game play is and should be the biggest part of a game... that is why it is called a game. The game is too difficult and long-winded. It takes forever to get the night vision, which I thought would be a big part because of the fact that you play as Riddick. If, in the game, you did not die so quick so the player could feel empowered, and if it was not so slow, this game could have been great. As it stands, the game is mediocre. Expand
  3. EstherN.
    Mar 4, 2005
    This game remains interesting throughout, and the textures are consitently lovely. Future programmers will look to Riddick as the game wherein vinyl really got together. Unlike many other adventure games, I didn't notice any glaring breaks in the action (NPC's referring to events that haven't happened, etc...). The action is exciting; the stealth is fun, the environments This game remains interesting throughout, and the textures are consitently lovely. Future programmers will look to Riddick as the game wherein vinyl really got together. Unlike many other adventure games, I didn't notice any glaring breaks in the action (NPC's referring to events that haven't happened, etc...). The action is exciting; the stealth is fun, the environments have a nice, gritty industrial edge. This game would be a cinch for a nine except _it crashes a lot_. I've got a pretty up-to-date, robust system. Seeing as the programmers have a patch together, _do not buy this game until the distributor releases it_. The further I got, the more frequently the game froze. Something is very, very wrong with Riddick. It's not Vampire: Blood Masquerade buggy, but it's pretty damn buggy nonetheless. The crashes suck the fun out of this game. Shame on the distributor, and don't reward them for sitting on top of the patch. Expand

1. With excellent visuals, varied and entertaining gameplay, quality acting, and a compelling mix of action and stealth -- not to mention the catalogue of extras -- it would be great value at $50, let alone the budget price of $30 that it's retailing for.
  2. The definitive way to experience one of the games of the year.
  3. Game Informer
    It still looks great and has one of the best single-player stories out there. [Jan 2005, p.143]