8.7

1. AnthonyS.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Heart-pounding, jawdropping, smack-you-in-your-face action along with a storyline fit for a five star feature film makes this game one of the greatest first person shooters i've ever played. Right up there with half-life 2, I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. Three years after its release, I'm only regretting I waited so long to pick it up!
  2. Dec 30, 2011
    This was the first M rated game I was allowed to play, and it's just fantastic. A classic of the ages for sure. Great graphics for its time, compelling story, audio, etc. Awesome game.
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    Probably one of the best first person experiences ever made. Fantastic action, ok.. the stealth less so but still fantastic, looks amazing to this day and has a better storyline than any Riddick film. Best movie tie in game I've ever played bar none.
  4. KDep
    Jul 31, 2006
    Don't know what they one guy is talking about with low framerates... must have old video drivers. Mine runs flawlessly. The game is beautiful, well put together and has some great features. Feels like a mix between Splinter Cell, Theif and Half Life. Lots of options - hide in the shadows, sneak up behind your enemies, or pull out a gun and go crazy. Very good overall and highly Don't know what they one guy is talking about with low framerates... must have old video drivers. Mine runs flawlessly. The game is beautiful, well put together and has some great features. Feels like a mix between Splinter Cell, Theif and Half Life. Lots of options - hide in the shadows, sneak up behind your enemies, or pull out a gun and go crazy. Very good overall and highly recommended at any price. However, watch the game's age rating as it is violent and profane. That being said, it is more so than a usual game, but not excessive. Expand
  5. Mar 28, 2011
    The great game with great suspense atmosphere! There is no such other cosmo-hitman game like this. No such feeling of playing with darkness and playing with enemies in this darkness like this. No thought of enemies being smart in any game after it. No such feeling of a really smart lone-warrior that can be dead, but keeps himself a notch before the death. The real modern sci-fi adventure,The great game with great suspense atmosphere! There is no such other cosmo-hitman game like this. No such feeling of playing with darkness and playing with enemies in this darkness like this. No thought of enemies being smart in any game after it. No such feeling of a really smart lone-warrior that can be dead, but keeps himself a notch before the death. The real modern sci-fi adventure, with a near-to-real-life-as-sci-fi-can-do realism! If there will be space-prisons in the future, they will look like these ones. If there will be a hero, Riddick will be! Expand
  6. Jul 17, 2012
    One of the best action games I have played. Stunning atmosphere, intriguing and believable setting, simple, but satisfying narrative, charismatic main character, impressive graphics even by today's standards, great voice acting, music and ambient, somewhat clever AI and most importantly, excellent gameplay. It is like an action-packed movie, which never gets old. Sneaking, shooting or justOne of the best action games I have played. Stunning atmosphere, intriguing and believable setting, simple, but satisfying narrative, charismatic main character, impressive graphics even by today's standards, great voice acting, music and ambient, somewhat clever AI and most importantly, excellent gameplay. It is like an action-packed movie, which never gets old. Sneaking, shooting or just exploring Butcher Bay- no matter what you do, you'll never get bored. There are some small quirks, though. Not nitpicking, but still it should be noted, that the game is a bit short. When I finished it, I wanted more and the 2009 expansion pack Dark Athena failed miserably at that. Another problem is that, the shooting sequences weren't the best even at the time the game was released. That's probably because of the guns- they are either way too inaccurate (like the rifle) or just plain ineffective (shotgun) at medium range. These problems don't make the shooting sequences any less thrilling or intense, though. My advice is to play the original version, rather the 2009 remake, which for some reason lacks quicksave function and the AI is (somehow) dumber and likes to cheat. A must-have for anyone, who likes engaging and atmospheric action games. Expand
  7. Sep 1, 2011
    I am writing this about seven years since this game was released and I still play it once every few months when I want to clear my mind from yet another over-hyped garbage that gets released a lot too often and reset my scale of what a great game should be. Strengths? Best "at will" stealth action I have experienced in a game to date, good melee system and controls that allow complex movesI am writing this about seven years since this game was released and I still play it once every few months when I want to clear my mind from yet another over-hyped garbage that gets released a lot too often and reset my scale of what a great game should be. Strengths? Best "at will" stealth action I have experienced in a game to date, good melee system and controls that allow complex moves without using half of keyboard, great dialogs and fantastic voice acting. Most of all though - full immersion into the story and situation that Riddick got himself into. Problems? None in my opinion. Just can't get enough of it (not to say it is short). The re-release and sequel (Dark Athena) had some annoying install limits and DRM but get it on Steam and don't worry. I also think the original reelase had a bit better color schema. To sum it up it is a classic comparable to Doom 3, HL2 and Bioshock and it deserves a real sequel rather than just a short episode which is Dark Athena. Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, this was an excellent game, realistic violence and all. Hey KevinP, instead of rating a video game based on its merits, you chose to rate it on the realism of its violence, with more real equating to a LOWER score. Fundamentally, you would never play this type of game and you should know that before you rent/buy it; the disappointment is nobody's fault but your own. The developersYes, this was an excellent game, realistic violence and all. Hey KevinP, instead of rating a video game based on its merits, you chose to rate it on the realism of its violence, with more real equating to a LOWER score. Fundamentally, you would never play this type of game and you should know that before you rent/buy it; the disappointment is nobody's fault but your own. The developers strived to make a realistic game and did a great job doing so, yet they only have an 8.5 on this site because you, without any real explanation or in-depth review of the game, gave it a 3 based on some prudish notions of the way video games should or should not be. Go play Solitaire or My Little Pony or Jeopardy, not a game based on a violent movie (which I will bet you hated as well, oh geez what a surprise). And if you didn't see the movie, you certainly must have looked up the premise online before you got this game, otherwise why would you go and get this game?

Next time, if you don't like a video game that's exceptionally well made simply because the genre it belongs to offends you, MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T "RATE" THAT VIDEO GAME DUDE. GO PLAY SIMS WHERE NO ONE BLEEDS AND LIFE IS AS NOT REAL AS POSSIBLE. I appreciate it buddy.
  9. Jul 7, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played (and I've played a LOT), and definitely the best movie game derivate, to which every movie game strives but never achieves. Even after so many years I still play it gladly. Great graphics (even for modern standards), great story, gameplay, and acting crew which invested 110% effort in this.
  10. Jul 8, 2011
    First of all for the user Kevin P who said: ".....atrocious language and realistic violence made me hate this as a game."
    You are a complete idiot. This may be the most moronic thing I have ever read inside a game review. Criticizing this game based on the fact that it contains bad language and realistic violence may be the most imbecilic thing I've ever heard. You sir...are a jackass. There are countless warnings on the game stating that it contains realistic violence and gore and obscene language. If you don't want to see or hear those things...DON'T BUY A GAME WITH AN "M" WARNING ON IT...Next time be sure to ask your mommy's permission before playing. The other obvious response to that would be...THE GAME IS SET IN A PRISON...You think prisoners drink tea, eat crumpets and say "please" and "thank you good sir" to each other? If you do, your more deluded than a hippie mental patient whose mind is stuck in the 60's. Do us all a favor and stop rating the good video games and get back to playing Pokemon or Mario Kart...those should be more your speed...Freakin dweeb.
    ANYWAY those feelings aside, this game was, IMHO, almost flawless. The countless stealth moves, authentic prison setting, great storyline, BAD LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, AND GORE...this game has it all! With Butcher Bay's realistic graphics, genuinely action packed gameplay, and riveting storyline, I've found myself playing countless hours on end, loosing myself in the game and completely loosing track of time itself! What a brilliantly developed, perfectly put together masterpiece...9/10!!!
  11. LucLuc
    Jan 6, 2006
    Best game for the moment.
  12. Aug 31, 2013
    This game has something what the absolute majority of games lack, that something being the awesome characters. Expectedly borrowed from the movie industry and rightly so, just wish they did more with them (should have hired a hollywood scriptwriter). A perfect game? Nope. Map design feels like 1995. So many games have awesome environmental art but lack charismatic characters, it's theThis game has something what the absolute majority of games lack, that something being the awesome characters. Expectedly borrowed from the movie industry and rightly so, just wish they did more with them (should have hired a hollywood scriptwriter). A perfect game? Nope. Map design feels like 1995. So many games have awesome environmental art but lack charismatic characters, it's the other way around with riddick, what a pity. Anyways, a very engaging experience even if a bit clumsy storywise at times. Expand
  13. HoKa
    Jan 5, 2008
    A solid game that offers much more than many other hyped adventure/action games. Instead of going for the flashy gimmicks route, the game delivers a solid experience in terms of not only environment interaction: you can hide yourself/bodies in the shadows, shoot lights to prepare an ambush in the dark, backstab your enemies, grapple during melee attacks, and actually watch your feet and A solid game that offers much more than many other hyped adventure/action games. Instead of going for the flashy gimmicks route, the game delivers a solid experience in terms of not only environment interaction: you can hide yourself/bodies in the shadows, shoot lights to prepare an ambush in the dark, backstab your enemies, grapple during melee attacks, and actually watch your feet and hands as your character moves in first-person (you're not a floating hand with a camera following closely behind). The game features numerous interesting subquests that breathe some air to the linearity of the main plot, and the plot itself, while far-fetched, is entertaining in the least, and blends perfectly well with the game's mixture of close-combat and skullduggery. As for the technical aspect of the game, you won't be disappointed: the graphics are of Doom 3 quality, featuring shadow-smoothing not present in said benchmark game; the sound effects are crisp and clean, and the top-notch voice-acting makes the game a lot more vibrant: Vin Diesel gives Riddick a lot of personality through his voice, as does Ron Perlman to the Valance character. Rounding up, this game is 'a jewel lost in the mud of mediocrity'. Expand
  14. SeanG.
    Jan 11, 2005
    Clearly one of the best action games ever - the whole game is designed brilliantly, with perfect mix of shooting, stealth, hand to hand combat, cut scenes. My only complaint is that I don't understand how the whole prison story fits in with the whole Riddick saga thing.
  15. Atebash
    Feb 4, 2005
    The biggest surprise of 2004, the game that came out of nowhere and stunned the gamers worldwide! Well done!
  16. Snake
    Dec 10, 2004
    I love this game. Great visuals, great gameplay.
  17. JohnF.
    Dec 31, 2004
    Great game. If you like action/adventure games will will like this game. Graphics are awesome.
  18. JohnD.
    Mar 25, 2006
    The acoustics and voices are first rate. This is a sleeper PC game with challenging AI that requires stealth and cunning to beat. Cut scenes are above average and Vin Diesel is very conmmanding as the anti-hero. One of the best games in years. Get it and see for yourself.
  19. LisacTwok
    Jan 11, 2007
    Let it be clear - this game is near perfection in its every single segment. However, to experience such perfection, one needs a deep understanding of the world settings, the story, and finally of Riddick himself. Maybe the strongest point of the game is a possibility not only to play Riddicks role, but also to get into his mind and feel yourself as a "Furion". I'd usually give it 9,Let it be clear - this game is near perfection in its every single segment. However, to experience such perfection, one needs a deep understanding of the world settings, the story, and finally of Riddick himself. Maybe the strongest point of the game is a possibility not only to play Riddicks role, but also to get into his mind and feel yourself as a "Furion". I'd usually give it 9, but due to such a brilliant port of the game from XBox to PC and adjusting it properly for each of the two platforms, I decided to conclude this review with 10. Addendum: the game might refuse to work with new (NVidia Forceware) video drivers, so be sure to install an older version of those. I've been using version 66.93, and it works fine - older versions of the drivers and more info about them can be found on the official NVidia website. Expand
  20. B.G.
    Dec 16, 2004
    Good game, controls are a little more responsive than the x-box version. Unfortunately it was quite short so I'm gald I just borrowed it.
  21. BobG.
    Dec 22, 2004
    Fantastic!
  22. LasseM.
    Feb 10, 2005
    Riddled with shifts in tone and action that keep the pace snappy and engaging. It's even got a completely over-the-top distinct finale that makes it worth playing to the end.
  23. JamesP.
    Sep 21, 2007
    This game is awsome the smooth and thrilling gameplay and the great graphics made me give this game a 10/10.
  24. HanS.
    Dec 12, 2004
    Great just great.
  25. BuddyL.
    Dec 13, 2004
    Another enjoyable FPS after Half-Life 2. They are brillant.
  26. BobH.
    Jan 18, 2005
    Good voice acting, action, and cutscenes, so far. It is a bit confusing having never even heard of the previous movies. Maybe as I go along things will make more sense. I hope so. Not nearly as good as say Half-Life 2, but definitely a must play!
  27. BajzathP.
    Feb 16, 2005
    This game is the best !!!!
  28. FrankB
    Jun 27, 2007
    I must say that this game is one of the benchmarks in the FPS genre. Not only is the combat solid and rewarding, but graphics, story and overall inovation won me over. The graphics engine is quite similar to the more recent Doom 3 engine, though it seems to have put it to a much more effective use. Vinny does an exellent job with voice acting, as does the rest of the cast. Weapon effects, I must say that this game is one of the benchmarks in the FPS genre. Not only is the combat solid and rewarding, but graphics, story and overall inovation won me over. The graphics engine is quite similar to the more recent Doom 3 engine, though it seems to have put it to a much more effective use. Vinny does an exellent job with voice acting, as does the rest of the cast. Weapon effects, lighting, shadows ( along with the soft shadow option not provided by Doom 3 or Quake 4), and fire effects makes this a must have for FPS fans. Nothing is more rewarding that turning around a guards shotgun to his own face and blasting it to kingdom come. My only complaints come from two things. Neither of which are major, but things could use improvement. The first is the length. At about 10 hours long, the lack of multiplayer limits replay value, save some special moments. The other are rare graphical glitches. None major, but distracting. All in all GREAT game 9/10. Expand
  29. AlexD
    Dec 28, 2008
    A simply awesome game. Eye candy at the level of Doom III (was released in the Doom III / HL 2 era), top notch action, especially melee sequences, superb voice acting and level design. Top that with the dev commentary on the PC version and you'll get yourself a lot of entertainment for your buck from this title.
    Dec 11, 2004
    Best looking game ever....period.
  31. Apr 15, 2015
    I didn't expect anything of this game, but I really liked it in the end. The prison setting is still not over-used in video games, the main character is a badass and the game is a nice mixture of both action and stealth passages. I enjoyed it from start to finish

1. With excellent visuals, varied and entertaining gameplay, quality acting, and a compelling mix of action and stealth -- not to mention the catalogue of extras -- it would be great value at $50, let alone the budget price of $30 that it's retailing for.
  2. The definitive way to experience one of the games of the year.
  3. It still looks great and has one of the best single-player stories out there. [Jan 2005, p.143]