8.7

1. Mar 28, 2011
    The great game with great suspense atmosphere! There is no such other cosmo-hitman game like this. No such feeling of playing with darkness and playing with enemies in this darkness like this. No thought of enemies being smart in any game after it. No such feeling of a really smart lone-warrior that can be dead, but keeps himself a notch before the death. The real modern sci-fi adventure, with a near-to-real-life-as-sci-fi-can-do realism! If there will be space-prisons in the future, they will look like these ones. If there will be a hero, Riddick will be! Expand
  2. Jul 17, 2012
    One of the best action games I have played. Stunning atmosphere, intriguing and believable setting, simple, but satisfying narrative, charismatic main character, impressive graphics even by today's standards, great voice acting, music and ambient, somewhat clever AI and most importantly, excellent gameplay. It is like an action-packed movie, which never gets old. Sneaking, shooting or just exploring Butcher Bay- no matter what you do, you'll never get bored. There are some small quirks, though. Not nitpicking, but still it should be noted, that the game is a bit short. When I finished it, I wanted more and the 2009 expansion pack Dark Athena failed miserably at that. Another problem is that, the shooting sequences weren't the best even at the time the game was released. That's probably because of the guns- they are either way too inaccurate (like the rifle) or just plain ineffective (shotgun) at medium range. These problems don't make the shooting sequences any less thrilling or intense, though. My advice is to play the original version, rather the 2009 remake, which for some reason lacks quicksave function and the AI is (somehow) dumber and likes to cheat. A must-have for anyone, who likes engaging and atmospheric action games. Expand
  3. Sep 1, 2011
    I am writing this about seven years since this game was released and I still play it once every few months when I want to clear my mind from yet another over-hyped garbage that gets released a lot too often and reset my scale of what a great game should be. Strengths? Best "at will" stealth action I have experienced in a game to date, good melee system and controls that allow complex moves without using half of keyboard, great dialogs and fantastic voice acting. Most of all though - full immersion into the story and situation that Riddick got himself into. Problems? None in my opinion. Just can't get enough of it (not to say it is short). The re-release and sequel (Dark Athena) had some annoying install limits and DRM but get it on Steam and don't worry. I also think the original reelase had a bit better color schema. To sum it up it is a classic comparable to Doom 3, HL2 and Bioshock and it deserves a real sequel rather than just a short episode which is Dark Athena. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, this was an excellent game, realistic violence and all. Hey KevinP, instead of rating a video game based on its merits, you chose to rate it on the realism of its violence, with more real equating to a LOWER score. Fundamentally, you would never play this type of game and you should know that before you rent/buy it; the disappointment is nobody's fault but your own. The developers strived to make a realistic game and did a great job doing so, yet they only have an 8.5 on this site because you, without any real explanation or in-depth review of the game, gave it a 3 based on some prudish notions of the way video games should or should not be. Go play Solitaire or My Little Pony or Jeopardy, not a game based on a violent movie (which I will bet you hated as well, oh geez what a surprise). And if you didn't see the movie, you certainly must have looked up the premise online before you got this game, otherwise why would you go and get this game?

Next time, if you don't like a video game that's exceptionally well made simply because the genre it belongs to offends you, MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T "RATE" THAT VIDEO GAME DUDE. GO PLAY SIMS WHERE NO ONE BLEEDS AND LIFE IS AS NOT REAL AS POSSIBLE. I appreciate it buddy.
  5. Dec 30, 2011
    This was the first M rated game I was allowed to play, and it's just fantastic. A classic of the ages for sure. Great graphics for its time, compelling story, audio, etc. Awesome game.
  6. Jul 8, 2011
    First of all for the user Kevin P who said: ".....atrocious language and realistic violence made me hate this as a game."
    You are a complete idiot. This may be the most moronic thing I have ever read inside a game review. Criticizing this game based on the fact that it contains bad language and realistic violence may be the most imbecilic thing I've ever heard. You sir...are a jackass.
    There are countless warnings on the game stating that it contains realistic violence and gore and obscene language. If you don't want to see or hear those things...DON'T BUY A GAME WITH AN "M" WARNING ON IT...Next time be sure to ask your mommy's permission before playing. The other obvious response to that would be...THE GAME IS SET IN A PRISON...You think prisoners drink tea, eat crumpets and say "please" and "thank you good sir" to each other? If you do, your more deluded than a hippie mental patient whose mind is stuck in the 60's. Do us all a favor and stop rating the good video games and get back to playing Pokemon or Mario Kart...those should be more your speed...Freakin dweeb.
    ANYWAY those feelings aside, this game was, IMHO, almost flawless. The countless stealth moves, authentic prison setting, great storyline, BAD LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, AND GORE...this game has it all! With Butcher Bay's realistic graphics, genuinely action packed gameplay, and riveting storyline, I've found myself playing countless hours on end, loosing myself in the game and completely loosing track of time itself! What a brilliantly developed, perfectly put together masterpiece...9/10!!!
  7. Oct 23, 2013
    Probably one of the best first person experiences ever made. Fantastic action, ok.. the stealth less so but still fantastic, looks amazing to this day and has a better storyline than any Riddick film. Best movie tie in game I've ever played bar none.
  8. Jul 7, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played (and I've played a LOT), and definitely the best movie game derivate, to which every movie game strives but never achieves. Even after so many years I still play it gladly. Great graphics (even for modern standards), great story, gameplay, and acting crew which invested 110% effort in this.

1. With excellent visuals, varied and entertaining gameplay, quality acting, and a compelling mix of action and stealth -- not to mention the catalogue of extras -- it would be great value at $50, let alone the budget price of $30 that it's retailing for.
  2. The definitive way to experience one of the games of the year.
  3. It still looks great and has one of the best single-player stories out there. [Jan 2005, p.143]