The Curse of Monkey Island PC

9.1

1. DanT.
    Dec 6, 2008
    A piece of gaming history. The Curse of Monkey Island (CMI) featured a pionary graphics engine that redefined the benchmarks of the period with its unique, cartoon-like, yet extrenely appealing style. Hillarity and replayability are a given; even in 2008, 11 years after it's release, this is still a fantastic game that can stand proudly alongside many of the latest releases in the A piece of gaming history. The Curse of Monkey Island (CMI) featured a pionary graphics engine that redefined the benchmarks of the period with its unique, cartoon-like, yet extrenely appealing style. Hillarity and replayability are a given; even in 2008, 11 years after it's release, this is still a fantastic game that can stand proudly alongside many of the latest releases in the collection of any hardcore and casual gamers alike. Expand
  2. DanielM.
    Jul 22, 2009
    One of the best adventures ever made! The music is great. The humor is hilarious. The puzzles a sometimes hard, but you can solve them, if you think a little crazy...just like in every other Monkey island game. The Graphics are beutiful. I wish a modern adventure would be as great as this, but there are none.
  3. Sep 13, 2011
    While being a departure to the style of the first 2 monkey island games which had a darker tone, The Curse of Monkey is one of the best Lucas Art adventure games of the 90s. Having very memorable game moments, very funny witty humour, great atmospheric music, and beautiful styled graphics - I love the warped environment style and its one of my favourite art styles all of gaming. CurseWhile being a departure to the style of the first 2 monkey island games which had a darker tone, The Curse of Monkey is one of the best Lucas Art adventure games of the 90s. Having very memorable game moments, very funny witty humour, great atmospheric music, and beautiful styled graphics - I love the warped environment style and its one of my favourite art styles all of gaming. Curse really used the pirate theme well, Pirates of the Caribbean clearly borrowed ideas, themes and characters from the Curse of Monkey Island. The music is original, interesting and memorable and the song half way through this game is one of my most beloved moments in video games. Unfortunately like most Lucas Art adventure games - the final act of the game was rushed, did not wrap of the story as it should and had a disappointingly short ending. Nevertheless, The Curse of Monkey Island is one of my favourites! A pirate I was meant to be! Trim the sails and roam the sea! Expand
  4. Jan 2, 2014
    Classic LucasArts point and click adventure masterpiece. Beautiful drawing, hilarious dialogue, great adventure, great puzzles, awesome voice acting, great music.
  5. Jun 21, 2014
    One of the all-time classics of adventure gaming. While some adventure games had challenge and some sought to imbue a sense of wonder (mostly through graphics), Curse of Monkey Island had everything, from humour to adventure while being able to develop characters. Can anyone forget having a banjo shredoff with Edward Van Helgen or tossing logs against Haggis McMutton?
  6. Mar 7, 2016
    The definition of perfection in a graphic adventure game. Smooth and intuitive gameplay, very cool graphics, very nice storyline, impressive soundtrack, interesting and sometimes frustrating (but that's the core of graphic adventures) puzzles, great characters, and all that mixed with a very funny sense of humour, definetely a MUST experience for graphic adventure lovers, and for everyoneThe definition of perfection in a graphic adventure game. Smooth and intuitive gameplay, very cool graphics, very nice storyline, impressive soundtrack, interesting and sometimes frustrating (but that's the core of graphic adventures) puzzles, great characters, and all that mixed with a very funny sense of humour, definetely a MUST experience for graphic adventure lovers, and for everyone that likes videogames really. Expand
  7. DavidD
    Feb 3, 2009
    This is by far the worst game of all time. Anyone who likes to play this game needs to get a life and grow up, unless your a kid and then I can see that you would like this. It has the worst music of anything I have ever heard and the characters are so freaking retarded they make me want to hurt someone. If I could I would flat out slap the creator in the face.
  8. AC
    Jul 27, 2009
    There is little else to be said about the quality of the remake, graphically and audibly. It is superb. Character animations, voice acting, and backdrops look terrific. The most significant problem with the game is little of the game play was changed. The obscure non-sensical puzzles are all still there. Pixel hunting, interactable environmental objects that do not light up when There is little else to be said about the quality of the remake, graphically and audibly. It is superb. Character animations, voice acting, and backdrops look terrific. The most significant problem with the game is little of the game play was changed. The obscure non-sensical puzzles are all still there. Pixel hunting, interactable environmental objects that do not light up when mouse-overed, annoying 9 action verb selection, and some eye rolling solutions make this an unfortunately poor adventure game that pales in comparison to The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, and other staples of the series. Maybe nostalgics would complain heresy if the above annoyances were fixed. Which is sad, as a new generation of gamers will miss out on a genre that is begging for a revival. Expand
  9. Aug 25, 2011
    LEGENDARY! The BEST game I`ve ever played. Funny, thoroughly enjoyable and clever! Not to mention the great dialogues, amazing songs (the opening theme of the series, in particular) and unique graphics and scenarios!
  10. ShakeelA.
    Mar 6, 2006
    This game is amazing!when i first played this game.i hanged in the 3rd part.but now.I know how to get to the other island but unfortunatly my CD becomes a piece of junk i want this for anything!
  11. Member27
    Jun 24, 2004
    I regularly boot this game up and play through it one more time. It is hilarious, fun and challenging with kick ass cartoon graphics (that have hardly aged; unlike its sub-par sequel), fantastic voice acting and possibly the most memorable music score in gaming history. I honestly believe that everyone should play this game at least once. Adventure games do not get much better than this I regularly boot this game up and play through it one more time. It is hilarious, fun and challenging with kick ass cartoon graphics (that have hardly aged; unlike its sub-par sequel), fantastic voice acting and possibly the most memorable music score in gaming history. I honestly believe that everyone should play this game at least once. Adventure games do not get much better than this folks. I would even go as far to say that it tops the Secret of Monkey Island. Expand
  12. Alex
    Feb 20, 2005
    There's a reason there are 4 games in the Monkey Island series. they all rule! and CMI is no exception. it may be the best of them all, in fact. if you're into the downright funny (and sometimes random) puzzle game stuff, then why are you even waiting to buy this game?
  13. WillT
    Jul 17, 2009
    If you are an adventure game lover, I would recommend this as one of the shining examples of how great they can be. The art direction is simply spectacular, with so much fine detail that it is impossible to take in in one sitting. The music, composed by Michael Land, is some of the least-instrusive I have ever heard. It fits the game so perfectly and I often find myself humming 'A If you are an adventure game lover, I would recommend this as one of the shining examples of how great they can be. The art direction is simply spectacular, with so much fine detail that it is impossible to take in in one sitting. The music, composed by Michael Land, is some of the least-instrusive I have ever heard. It fits the game so perfectly and I often find myself humming 'A pirate I was meant to be'. The puzzles can be a little difficult at some points on hard, but the payoff jokes are always worth it. Expand
  14. JeremyC.
    Aug 19, 2004
    If you are familiar with monkey island you know why this game rocks, if not then you should buy all 4 monkey island games and get with the program!
  15. P.V.
    Aug 5, 2004
    It's just fun!!The backgrounds are beautiful!! This game is incredible good!!
  16. TomM.
    Mar 15, 2007
    I can't say much... its simply too good to be true. How old is this game? -And still so good. Its a simple game but still some of the best I have ever played, the humour the charachters, you cant antything but love Guybrush and everything else, you have to try it. I'm speechless.
  17. PaulW.
    Nov 16, 2008
    A 9.9 rating (surely 10 really) won't be surprising to those, like me, who find the level of animation and voice work in Curse of Monkey Island to be unsurpassed but Ron Gilbert, who was behind the first 2 games, didn't want anything to do with this one and still won't speak in its praise. Sure, it's easier than the first 2 games but I'd prefer to see the whole of A 9.9 rating (surely 10 really) won't be surprising to those, like me, who find the level of animation and voice work in Curse of Monkey Island to be unsurpassed but Ron Gilbert, who was behind the first 2 games, didn't want anything to do with this one and still won't speak in its praise. Sure, it's easier than the first 2 games but I'd prefer to see the whole of a game anyway. It essentially delivers on all the the promises laid down and only slightly delivered by 'Dragon's Lair'- it's a game that gives you the opportunity to wallow in a superb cartoon. A particular highlight to me was the island in the shape of a duck. This game was nearly made into a film orginally. It's film's loss and a truly unique addition to gaming that remains overlooked by most dullard PC gamers obsessed with games with stats or FPS. Expand
  18. TomR.
    Mar 29, 2008
    I'm in love with Monkey Island. Seriously. We're getting married.
  19. BenH.
    Aug 25, 2005
    Hilariously funny! Tones of hidden jokes and funny cut-scenes. You can play it again and again many times and it never looses its charm.
  20. ColbyA.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Another one of the great point-n-click adventure games. Monkey Island, the entire series, is simply one of, if not the best of its category games I've EVER played. Incredibly funny, great character and storyline development, and sophisticated humor (meaning it doesn't make a bunch of bathroom jokes). LucasArts, how I love you.
  21. Lara
    Dec 17, 2004
    Fabulous game! Best game in the series! I recommend getting all 4 games right away!!
  22. Mar 26, 2011
    Great adventure game, the pinnacle of a certain style within the genre. I actually prefer it to the second part, and consider it at least just as good as the first one. If someone is into playing the classics of gaming, i do believe this one should be in there.
  23. Mar 13, 2014
    I remember being 9 and had already played the likes of Island of Dr Brain, Super Solvers, Eco Quest, Some other Sierra games, and Myst. I wouldn't say I was in love with the adventure genre, as I'd love a good game of Doom or Quake over these titles anyday. Then came along The Curse of Monkey Island. Wow, did my perception of adventure gaming change. Sadly, the game was so good andI remember being 9 and had already played the likes of Island of Dr Brain, Super Solvers, Eco Quest, Some other Sierra games, and Myst. I wouldn't say I was in love with the adventure genre, as I'd love a good game of Doom or Quake over these titles anyday. Then came along The Curse of Monkey Island. Wow, did my perception of adventure gaming change. Sadly, the game was so good and masterful that it raised the bar for adventure gaming tenfold. Not even Monkey Island 4 could capture the masterful artwork and humor of its predecessor. No other point-and-click game would ever challenge this title's illustrious perfection. Find a way to play it. Now. Expand
  24. Sep 27, 2016
    This, along with Grim Fandango, are two of the greatest games of any generation ever made. But what makes this one just about superior in my book is the fact that, 19 years after it was made, it still holds up as well as the day it was made. The hand drawn 2D style is so timeless that if this came out now, people would not bat an eyelid. It's so good in fact that while other games in thisThis, along with Grim Fandango, are two of the greatest games of any generation ever made. But what makes this one just about superior in my book is the fact that, 19 years after it was made, it still holds up as well as the day it was made. The hand drawn 2D style is so timeless that if this came out now, people would not bat an eyelid. It's so good in fact that while other games in this series have actually required a remaster to be playable to a modern audience (and Day of the Tentacle, come to think of it - all excellent games), this one doesn't.

What it does need though is a way to be playable on modern systems without a program called ScummVM. If it were re-released on GOG or whatever, this would be an instant buy for me.

The humour in this title is stunning, the puzzles bizarre yet logical, the characters are exceptional and... it's just perfection, it really is.

The age of the point and click adventure is long gone sadly, but I am always happy to say that the glut of them we had throughout the 90s raised the bar so high that they couldn't foreseeably have been beaten anyway, so they went out on a high note.

Eternal thanks to LucasArts from this gamer for both the memories of first playing this with my jaw permanently dropped at the experience, and the fact I have replayed it once every two years on average since release with the same feeling of joy.
  25. Jun 28, 2012
    @ DavidD if I met you I would flat out kick you in the balls. Besides that, this game is 100% classic, with a awesome visuals style and atmospheric music this game will never get old... Makes me want to start playing it again >:D
  26. Oct 17, 2012
    The best monkey island game in my humble opinion. A unique plot involving guybrush and elaine leading to hilarious circumstances. Great performance by Le'chuck in this one
  27. Feb 28, 2014
    One of the best games I've ever played. For those of you that don't know, The Curse of Monkey Island (CMI or MI3) is a point-and-click puzzle game where the player solves puzzles by collecting and combining items and using those items to do solve a problem.

The game has an extremely simple control scheme, it's entirely mouse controlled and extremely easy to get used to. The art style is incredibly charming and pleasing to look at. The art consists of what seems to be beautifully hand-painted environments and cartoon like sprites for objects that move. The game is fully voiced and has some superb dialogue with some great voice acting. There are so many jokes to be heard and laughs to be had. The story is great too, I particularly enjoyed Blood Island, and there is variety in gameplay which stops the game from becoming repetitive somewhere in the middle of the game. The puzzles can be hard, but are satisfying to complete. For those of you who like a challenge there is a game mode with more puzzles (recommended!!)

CMI is an incredible game, I would recommend this game to anyone.
  28. Apr 6, 2013
    Best adventure game (along with "The Longest Journey"), and one of the best game ever made. This is the funniest game out there: every single line of dialogue is to die for! Characters, situations and puzzles are priceless. It features the most ergonomic interface of the genre. Graphics, animations and art style are still great and always will be, like an old fashioned Disney cartoon.Best adventure game (along with "The Longest Journey"), and one of the best game ever made. This is the funniest game out there: every single line of dialogue is to die for! Characters, situations and puzzles are priceless. It features the most ergonomic interface of the genre. Graphics, animations and art style are still great and always will be, like an old fashioned Disney cartoon. Music, sounds and actors' voicing are really good. Expand
  29. Oct 30, 2013
    The unbelievable game. So much joy and humor. I love it. It is for me the game which stays in my top 10 list. Bravo again for the Lucas Art team. Superb.
  30. BFM
    Aug 15, 2014
    What a masterpiece.
    Let's get the only problem out of the way:
    This isn't Monkey Island 3. This is neither the successor to Monkey Island 2, nor the conclusion of Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island trillogy. This answers no questions, and doesn't in any way satisfy the hunger for a real Monkey island. But oh boy, this is one of the best Adventure games and Video games in general of all
    What a masterpiece.
    Let's get the only problem out of the way:

This isn't Monkey Island 3.

But oh boy, this is one of the best Adventure games and Video games in general of all time.
    This was made by fans of Monkey Island and Adventure games, with an rediculous amount of love and production value. You can see it as the worlds greatest fan-game.

I think I first played this around 1999 as an small child.
    And since them, I play this game at least once a year.
    Allthough I know the solution to all puzzels, I sill find this game to be A+ entertainment, and always discover some new detail, I've overlooked before.

This game offers great dialoge, beautiful scenery, a superb soundtrack, great characters, professional and matching voice acting, good puzzles, a good coin-based interface, timeless humor, beautiful artwork and animation, nice divesion, and a truly great journey.

This game may never fill the gape that rose when Ron Gilbert lost control over the IP, but it will be one of the greatest and funniest games of all time for generations to come.
  31. Sep 8, 2014
    Best game I've ever played (and trust me, I've played a lot). If you love adventure point and click games half as much as I do, please consider playing this wonderful masterpiece. Best chapter of the Lucasart series imo, by far.
  32. Dec 11, 2014
    While this game is great, I don't think it is the best in the series. DO NOT THINK I HATE THIS GAME. I love this game! It has so many memorable, funny and great moments with excellent writing and graphics. It has a brilliant soundtrack and one of the best songs in gaming of all time. However, this does not have the sharp wit its predecessors held close, and seems more of a fan made MonkeyWhile this game is great, I don't think it is the best in the series. DO NOT THINK I HATE THIS GAME. I love this game! It has so many memorable, funny and great moments with excellent writing and graphics. It has a brilliant soundtrack and one of the best songs in gaming of all time. However, this does not have the sharp wit its predecessors held close, and seems more of a fan made Monkey Island than anything, but in a respectful way to the originals.

Take for example 'Act 3'. Without giving away too much, this starts off strong and enjoyable, a masterpiece in gaming. This turns into 'Sid Meiers Pirates!' like game-play with having to take down ships, followed by beating their captains in a sword fight using not attacks, but insults. No violence, just pure comic relief. There is clever writing to this part, but soon it all becomes repetitive and boring. The first game did this as well, yet managed to be fun and enjoyable, with no delay. Here, its a chore. Also the ending is rushed beyond belief, and sticks out like a sore thumb.

In conclusion, the first and second games in the franchise are better than this, both retro and special editions. However, I still strongly recommend giving this game a try if you can get your hands on it, whether you are new to the series or not.
  33. May 21, 2015

1. PC Gamer
    If this isn't destined to be a classic, I'll swallow a cutlass. [Feb 1998, p.95]
  2. However good the game is, it must be said that it is far too short, and the ending is a little rushed. Two days of gameplay is simply not enough for a modern adventure game.
  3. Whether you're looking for a good adventure, or just a good laugh, beautiful animation, or great sound, there's something for everyone in this game. It is an excellent value, and will certainly become a gaming classic.