7.5

1. Feb 13, 2012
    Story is ok but a bit corny and the gameplay is pretty good, however this game is a terrible buy if you pay full price. It looks positively ancient with textures that would even give Xbox owners cause for complaint. The graphics style is nice and the cutscenes are pretty well scripted but like many designed for console games, the cutscenes are a high point of the game. This is one of the shortest games I have ever played and I was trying to string it out a bit. Very disappointing as it had some components of a really good game. The field of view was mindblowing. Like looking through a spyhole the whole time. Made this game almost unplayable on its own.

If your a developer, make careful note of the people in the development team for this game, and ensure they have absolutely no career path if you want to continue selling product.
  2. Mar 22, 2012
    Graphics aside (horrible models as for a previous generation game while the textures... even the gamecube has seen better), i like the general atmosphere but that's all the game has. The gameplay's extremely fun in the first half hour then it's just plain repetitive, you do the same thing, and even the levels seem identical (there are about 2 enemy models recycled again and again, and their interaction patterns are extremely predictable). It lacks the least degree variation (in level design and battles) provided by what's called (for a good reason) a blockbuster.

The story's very diluted for a game whose gameplay isn't that engaging, sadly i rarely give up on a game without finishing it but after 4 hours i was plagued with boredom (the story up until that point could have been summed up in a few lines) and i'd rather spend the rest of the time i had left to finish it playing a point and click adventure. The Darkness and Witchblade have great potential and if they'd reimagine the gameplay the next Darkness could be great but i haven't seen much progress since the first one.

I felt as if Dead Space's story had more consistence and let's be honest, you could sum up Dark Space 1 and 2 in a 20 minutes animation, and still capture the whole "depth" of the characters and lore (at least the gameplay's engaging in Dead Space and you don't feel the lack of story).
  3. Jan 28, 2013
    Not a bad game in it's own right ; but as a sequel it suffers.
    This offering fails to build on what made the previous game great by trading away the grit and immersion in favor of a flashy but clunky combat mechanics and pushing a UI in your face. The story isn't too intelligent either as most people can pretty much call the "twists" from the get go. If you're reading this and
    considering buying this I'd urge you to spend your money on the much better prequel. Expand
  4. Dec 11, 2013
    OK, why was I so disappointed with this game? Three main points spoiled this game for me. I won't go on about graphics, they're fine. Decent engine, decent artists etc. Game mechanics were fine. The menu system was a little annoying but you get used to that. Music was typically horrible but thankfully you can turn it off unlike some games(yes Halo 4, I'm talking about you) So what didn't I like? Read on.

Firstly, cinematics...lots and lots of cinematics. The annoying kind where you can't move and the characters talk seemingly forever when all they have to do is say, 'go out the door and shoot everyone you see.'. You can hardly travel 100 meters without being dragged into some scripted action sequence or some long boring dialogue. Judging by the amount of positive reviews this game receives I assume most people don't mind this. I don't understand. I find it very tedious. Don't get me wrong, I like storylines. I'm happy to sit and watch little cinematics every now and then. I just hate the game being interrupted every 5 minutes just so someone can tell you to walk down some stairs or whatever. OK, finished gripe no.1

Second gripe; the demon, serpent, tentacle, penis things. I assumed they were something you could bring up to use when you needed them. Nope, they're there the whole time. Fine if you like that sort of thing, IE great big dangly appendages cluttering up the screen, and I understand that some people do like that sort of thing, just not me. Oh, and apart from their basic intrusiveness, they're just silly. A gangster with tentacles, spare me please.

Thirdly, the sidekick. Again, some people obviously like annoying little halfwit sidekicks running around saying annoying half witted things. I just happen to not. The last half hour of my abortive attempt at playing this game was spent shooting it. The only joy I had in this game was discovering that you can shoot the sidekick, though regrettably he does regenerate.

So there you have it. I wanted to like this game. I loved Sandman and Hellblazer and other stuff back in the day. I knew it would be silly. It's graphic novel/comic book type horror, of course it's going to be silly. Unfortunately excessive cinematics, non-retractable tentacles and a sidekick modelled on a brain damaged teenage metal head made this game unplayable for me. Sorry Digital Extremes. I tried.
  5. Aug 21, 2014
    You'll enjoy this only if you like splatter and gross scenes. Not that I dislike both (gross scenes and splatter) but I would like a bit more original product.
    It's very predictable, borige, and SHORT! It looks like a cheap product.

1. Apr 22, 2012
    The Darkness II is a decent shooter, but there is nothing in it that is amazing; it's respectable but mostly predictable.
    The Darkness II is indeed short, but it does achieve part of its goals: a few fun hours for a rainy spring afternoon, with some interesting characters, a dark story and, most of all, two demonic arms always hungry for beating hearts.
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    Exhilarating in its opening sequence, The Darkness 2 quickly loses steam and turns into a 5-hour run through a long corridor.