7.5

1. Sep 12, 2014
    it's a decent game played the right way. playing it as a run and gun fps is not the way to go. the use of the demon-arm powers is innovative and makes for interesting game play. the graphic and art style is very film noir (think Max Payne/LA Noire crossed with borderlands). however, the levels are pretty linear and once the novelty of the various demon-arm combat moves wears off, theit's a decent game played the right way. playing it as a run and gun fps is not the way to go. the use of the demon-arm powers is innovative and makes for interesting game play. the graphic and art style is very film noir (think Max Payne/LA Noire crossed with borderlands). however, the levels are pretty linear and once the novelty of the various demon-arm combat moves wears off, the fighting isn't spectacular. the story-line is ok and the voice-acting decent. main gripe is that the game play is really way too short (completed on hitman difficulty in slightly less than 10 hours). not worth the full release/retail price but can be considered if on sale. Expand
  2. Sep 2, 2014
    While the story is quite strong and action of the game is different and fun, I could never quite get in to this game due to the slightly repetitive fighting and poor check points.
  3. Jul 18, 2014
    Definitely worth your time. It's a great-looking game if you love graphic novels, and they absolutely nailed the painted comic style. As comic-esque games go, only Dishonored and The Wolf Among Us achieved this kind of look successfully (although TWAU emulates an inked style rather than a painted one). The arm movements can seem a little wooden at times, but that's only in sharp contrastDefinitely worth your time. It's a great-looking game if you love graphic novels, and they absolutely nailed the painted comic style. As comic-esque games go, only Dishonored and The Wolf Among Us achieved this kind of look successfully (although TWAU emulates an inked style rather than a painted one). The arm movements can seem a little wooden at times, but that's only in sharp contrast because the animation of microexpressions is so good. While a lot of the NPCs' character springs from the voice acting, the animation is no small part of the overall effect. Environments and clothing are lovingly constructed. While the backstreets and warehouses can feel pretty lacklustre, other locations such as Jackie's mansion are a pleasure to behold.

The game can feel a little cramped with such a tight field of view. It's hard to ever feel like combat is going really smoothly, and I found it to be a mostly clumsy affair. There's a reward for headshots, in that time slows down for a couple of seconds after a direct hit so you can chain headshot after headshot and remain in slo-mo the whole time.

I strongly recommend a Xbox-style controller for this game. The whole control system is built around dual-wielded guns via the triggers and Jackie's demonic appendages via the shoulder buttons, and it couldn't feel as good with kb/m.
  4. Apr 3, 2013
    Still a pretty good game afterall, even if it was released in 2011. A good shooter, nice graphics. But lack of support makes me think that the series should be discontinued soon..
    Came together with a retail pre-order of BioShock Infinite. Without the DLC makes me feel sad for the game in overall. It could really have been better. All thanks to 2K.
    The ending was really bad and not to my
    The ending was really bad and not to my liking, instead some of the characters shouldn't have died in the plot.
    If the next sequel would to come out, it would definitely be on my list.
  5. Jan 11, 2013
    One of the shortest AAA games I have ever played. The animations and effects (especially blood spatter) are extremely poor and the cartoon style graphics just look bad. Fortunately the voice acting is actually quite well done but other sounds are pretty bad. Yet, despite all these shortcomings, it was still kinda fun to take out your enemies in insanely gruesome ways. I did enjoy it someOne of the shortest AAA games I have ever played. The animations and effects (especially blood spatter) are extremely poor and the cartoon style graphics just look bad. Fortunately the voice acting is actually quite well done but other sounds are pretty bad. Yet, despite all these shortcomings, it was still kinda fun to take out your enemies in insanely gruesome ways. I did enjoy it some of the time, but yes it is repetitive. Expand
  6. Nov 6, 2012
    An interesting idea for a game. Tanks For That really bloody, so many players will feel joy, to do so in a way, addictive gameplay, and a great atmosphere. What do you expect more? I wish 2K had not used until the end of the title, the graphics really hurts sometimes, after a long time the game starts to get bored, this is the coop, just a pity that it is so hard to play with someone andAn interesting idea for a game. Tanks For That really bloody, so many players will feel joy, to do so in a way, addictive gameplay, and a great atmosphere. What do you expect more? I wish 2K had not used until the end of the title, the graphics really hurts sometimes, after a long time the game starts to get bored, this is the coop, just a pity that it is so hard to play with someone and he also gets bored after a long time. The game is still really fun, and you may like it. My Rating - 7.5 / 10 Expand
  7. Sep 4, 2012
    Pros: Very fun game to play...single player took about 6 hours roughly. Cons: CO OP was over in 2 hours!!!!!!! I bought this game strictly to play co op....thinking I was going to get something to have fun with for at least a few hours...I was sadly mistaken....Whatever you do DO NOT pay full price for this game - wait until its real cheap on Steam or you will be kicking yourself after youPros: Very fun game to play...single player took about 6 hours roughly. Cons: CO OP was over in 2 hours!!!!!!! I bought this game strictly to play co op....thinking I was going to get something to have fun with for at least a few hours...I was sadly mistaken....Whatever you do DO NOT pay full price for this game - wait until its real cheap on Steam or you will be kicking yourself after you see how short it is....this game could have been a AAA title had they put more effort into longer campaign - and the co op almost feels like a demo due to being over so short. Expand
  8. Aug 28, 2012
    Pretty great game there are some minor port issues like no graphics options, but it's still one of the best games to be released in the last year. Get it, you won't be disappoint.
  9. Mar 30, 2012
    I loved The Darkness for Xbox. Amazing game. In this sequel, the story is preserved, the pacing is great, the graphics are fun, the game play is fun. The whole concept of quad-wielding I laughed at initially, but it was put into play amazingly well. The story progressed well enough, if not being a little short. The characters were reasonable, but a little flat compared to the last game. II loved The Darkness for Xbox. Amazing game. In this sequel, the story is preserved, the pacing is great, the graphics are fun, the game play is fun. The whole concept of quad-wielding I laughed at initially, but it was put into play amazingly well. The story progressed well enough, if not being a little short. The characters were reasonable, but a little flat compared to the last game. I really just had fun with the engine and cutting people in two with my tentacle slash. The ending is an obvious tie-in for a sequel, though, rather than tying up the game nicely. Story could've used some depth. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a common gameplay that got me bored in the Demo, since it's predictable. Sounds like a good story, but like a lot of games (Deus EX, Assassin's Creed), it's just a repetition of the basics you learn in the beginning. When you learn the fastest way to earn most points, you will always do it.
  11. Feb 23, 2012
    An overall upgrade to the 5 year old franchise, the darkness 2 provides a fun fps experience albeit the rather short playing time.

The core and best part of the game involve using your darkness abilities to decimate your enemies. From picking up objects and tossing them at your foes to performing executions, every battle is up for grabs. Sure you can just gun your way through the game but what would be the fun in that? Upgrading your powers with experience will want you to get the most from your kills, as the more unique the kill the more you get.

The story is not as good as the first, leaving you with a rather cliffhanger ending that pretty much needs either DLC or a Darkness 3 (hopefully in less that 5 years).

Some stumbling blocks that the Darkness 2 encounters are the lack of variety in enemies and length, you could easily finish the game in less that 5 hours. The odd use of cell-shaded graphics leaves a mixed bag, it is not overly "cartooned" but some scenes seem less brutal using this.

The co-op is a fresh step, get a group of friends and the experience in the side campaign is a blast though on the short side.

If you are looking for a fresh unique fps then this should get you your fill but don't expect fireworks. Can't say I would recommend this game at full price though because of the length.
  12. Feb 18, 2012
    A game that has its moments, love the art style and graphics in the game and the story is for the most part quite good and is very well narrated. The love story is convincing and i actually did feel part of the pain he must have been going thru. But the irritating weapons system, where it was way to easy to accidentally pic up and replace new weapons combined with the last few chapters ofA game that has its moments, love the art style and graphics in the game and the story is for the most part quite good and is very well narrated. The love story is convincing and i actually did feel part of the pain he must have been going thru. But the irritating weapons system, where it was way to easy to accidentally pic up and replace new weapons combined with the last few chapters of the game where the story telling took a huge downturn makes this game subpar. Its like the first "The Crow" movie just with tentacles and without a good and satisfying ending. Expand
  13. Feb 16, 2012
    This is a fairly entertaining game with lots of action and pretty good graphics. The story, even though violent and gloomy, was somewhat unique. The cut scenes, however, were too frequent and occasionally annoying. Overall, Darkness II wasn't quite as good as the other games recently released at this price level. I suggest waiting until the price drops a bit before buying this game.
  14. Feb 13, 2012
    The darkness 2 is about as good as the darkness 1. Which is to say the darkness 2 is fantastic. While on the pc, the controls get a bit cluttered and it's pc-feature light. The core game is great. From some interesting storytelling, to frantic and diverse action - the game is a delight to play. It's painfully short however. Running about 5 hours or slightly less. Visually it's better andThe darkness 2 is about as good as the darkness 1. Which is to say the darkness 2 is fantastic. While on the pc, the controls get a bit cluttered and it's pc-feature light. The core game is great. From some interesting storytelling, to frantic and diverse action - the game is a delight to play. It's painfully short however. Running about 5 hours or slightly less. Visually it's better and worse than the original, the comic book look suits it better - however you lose some of the grit and bleakness as a result. If this was about twice the length with the same pacing - it would be a 9/10. As it stands. 7/10. HIGHLY Reccomended on a sale. Expand
  15. Feb 10, 2012
    This game is one of the most unique games out there that you can find. Yes, It's not only unique for an FPS but unique as a game. The FOV problem that we've heard so much about never bothered me, but it can still be a hindrance for others. Although the game is very solid playing on the PC, It still feels a bit more like a port from a console than a full PC game. The Vendettas Co-OpThis game is one of the most unique games out there that you can find. Yes, It's not only unique for an FPS but unique as a game. The FOV problem that we've heard so much about never bothered me, but it can still be a hindrance for others. Although the game is very solid playing on the PC, It still feels a bit more like a port from a console than a full PC game. The Vendettas Co-Op mode seems like a last minute decision in order to cover the lost for the short main campaign, but it is still is a fun experience. Hopefully, Digital Extreme will make a patch and fix the problems. Expand
  16. Feb 16, 2012
    This game is awesome, let me get that out of the way. But, as all games do, it struggles in a few areas. The gameplay is awesome. While this game is a first person shooter, it adds some very cool twists to the gameplay. Controlling darkness powers is very fun, addicting, and very gory. The story is also one of the strong points of the game. The connection you get with the characters isThis game is awesome, let me get that out of the way. But, as all games do, it struggles in a few areas. The gameplay is awesome. While this game is a first person shooter, it adds some very cool twists to the gameplay. Controlling darkness powers is very fun, addicting, and very gory. The story is also one of the strong points of the game. The connection you get with the characters is great, and voice acting is exceptional. However, the ending (no spoilers) leaves a bit to be desired. Perhaps they want to leave room for a sequel? Audio is very well done, the darkness is well voiced and music is dark and moody as it should be. Now for the cons. This game is short. VERY short. It took me hours on regular, and I really take my time playing through games. However, coop is fun, and adds for some extra play time, either alone or with friends. There are some glitches. Bodies stuck in walls, things like that, but nothing game breaking at all. Overall this is an awesome game that shouldn't be missed, and I greatly look forward to a sequel! Collapse

1. Apr 22, 2012
    The Darkness II is a decent shooter, but there is nothing in it that is amazing; it's respectable but mostly predictable.
    The Darkness II is indeed short, but it does achieve part of its goals: a few fun hours for a rainy spring afternoon, with some interesting characters, a dark story and, most of all, two demonic arms always hungry for beating hearts.
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    Exhilarating in its opening sequence, The Darkness 2 quickly loses steam and turns into a 5-hour run through a long corridor.