8.5

1. Aug 2, 2014
    As much as I love Morrowind to death and really enjoyed the previous DLC Tribunal that was expanding on the main story, after hearing praise on the Bloodmoon DLC, it left me a bit disappointed. The whole thing seems a bit like Skyrim demo to me, Bethesda was trying out winter environments, mountains, snow, ice, werewolves, Nord lore and while Bloodmoon is still quite enjoyable, it justAs much as I love Morrowind to death and really enjoyed the previous DLC Tribunal that was expanding on the main story, after hearing praise on the Bloodmoon DLC, it left me a bit disappointed. The whole thing seems a bit like Skyrim demo to me, Bethesda was trying out winter environments, mountains, snow, ice, werewolves, Nord lore and while Bloodmoon is still quite enjoyable, it just felt like a Skyrim betatest to me. Unfortunately for Bloodmoon, I played Skyrim before Bloodmoon, so that might have hurt my impressions, as in Skyrim all those elements were even better. Still good, but nevertheless, Bloodmoon was the least favourite part of my entire Morrowind experience, which is otherwise still one of the best RPG's ever created to this day. 6/10 Expand
  2. J.C.
    Sep 7, 2005
    Morrowind was a great game.... and I would ratherplay Tribunal over and over then play any other RPG. Bloodmoon was not as brilliantly storylined as Morrowind and Tribunal. The land was very dissapointing. Creatures were built for lower level characters, along with the main quest. The last boss was difficult.... must take a level 40 or up to beat him. The concept of Werewolf waas a Morrowind was a great game.... and I would ratherplay Tribunal over and over then play any other RPG. Bloodmoon was not as brilliantly storylined as Morrowind and Tribunal. The land was very dissapointing. Creatures were built for lower level characters, along with the main quest. The last boss was difficult.... must take a level 40 or up to beat him. The concept of Werewolf waas a stretch too far out.... Vampires was a stretch I could deal with but Werewolves are such an old and bland concept. Expand
  3. SlantyME
    Jun 16, 2003
    Morrowind was a great game. I have played it a few times now (never finished it though) as different characters and have been deeply engrossed in it for several months...and now that Tribunal and Bloodmoon have come out, the entertainment for this great game just continues. As for Bloodmoon as a whole, I only gave it a 7 for several reasons. The game itself is a worthy addition to the Morrowind was a great game. I have played it a few times now (never finished it though) as different characters and have been deeply engrossed in it for several months...and now that Tribunal and Bloodmoon have come out, the entertainment for this great game just continues. As for Bloodmoon as a whole, I only gave it a 7 for several reasons. The game itself is a worthy addition to the Morrowind saga as it is easy to access from Knull and the quests and NPC are well thought up. However, the game has become much more unstable than it's predecessor. I can't make it through an hour without having the game crash to my desktop (yes, I have the latest drivers and all that) and when the snowy weather starts, I can't play the game (yes, I have a not-so-good GeForce 2 MX, but that still affects my review). I have to rest until the storm subsides. Also, the creatures in this expansion are very easy to kill. The only time my character has died was because the game got so bogged down (video card again) that I couldn't move...gotta love 0.5 FPS. Overall, it is a nice add-on to an amazing game, but I would put it below Tribunal for the toughness factor and above it for the experience...and below everything due to the constant crashes. Patch please! Expand
  4. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    While it is a solid expansion, Bloodmoon is not as epic as Tribunal or as deep as Morrowind. Of all the Elder Scrolls III titles, Bloodmoon should be last on your list.
  5. Dec 10, 2016
    Bloodmoon is an expansion for TES III Morrowind. While it adds the island of Solstheim with snowy climate, and werewolves, it suffers from the same flaws of Morrowind.

The NPCs are shallow and the whole island feels stale and barren, just like the main title, but is even worse here. Dungeons are boring and feel empty. Yes, you can become a werewolf, but that alone does not save the expansion.

If you finished the Neverarine quest in the main title, and also the quest in Tribunal, going to Solstheim may not be a challenge at start. Spriggans, bears, wolves, rieklings,tusked bristlebacks are all rather easy to kill; and so are the bandits (smugglers, berserkers, hags). The only good thing is that there are no cliff racers.

The story is boring and the land is boring as well. Add to it the same clunky combat mechanics, the same clumsy directions from robotic NPCs as in Morrowind, and you have an expansion that leaves a lot to be desired. If you want an rpg experience, forget about Morrowind expansions, and try Gothic or Gothic 2.

If you still want to experience Solstheim, then try the Dragonborn expansion for Skyrim (I know, mentioning Skyrim is kind of sacrilege for Morrowind fans, sorry about that) with much more organic npcs, better combat and a much more interesting story.

1. Maybe Bloodmoon could have been down as a free, or low cost, download, but the added value of the werewolf alone make the twenty dollar cost seem like a bargain.
    Bloodmoon also adds werewolves and though they're formidable opponents, the real attraction here is that you can actually become a werewolf yourself.
  3. PC Gamer
    Living as a werewolf is still pretty cool. You can inflict serious damage with those claws, leap amazing distances, and take on more enemies than would be possible in your human form. [Sept 2003, p.74]