8.9

1. Oct 10, 2016
    Morrowind is a unique RPG experience. For hardcore RPG and The Elder Scrolls fans is, perhaps, the best of the series. However, technical issues and gameplay mechanics may keep away potential players. I will be reviewing the game in its vanilla status and without the expansions.

The premise in Morrowind is to offer the player an open world to enjoy a complex rpg. This game does not hold your hand, even from the start off you are only told how to move your character and interact with the world. After the short introductory section where you pick a race, class, sign; you are thrown into the world of Morrowind with a scratch of the main story and vague directions to follow it. Yes you are free, bound to bad mechanics and to new comers this freedom can be overwhelming at start. I had to try it four times until I actually began to feel the game and enjoy it for the summ of its parts, except combat.

The story: you begin as a prisoner who is liberated in the island of Vvardenfell, an island of Morrowind. The empire has a partial control of the land, but the ashlanders (the original people o Morrowind or dark elves) see the outsiders with distrust and would like to see the empire gone. Anyway, you soon learn that you are an agent for the empire, a position you must accept as a condition for your liberation. However you are not forced to follow the main quest which, in short, is to learn and discover the truth behind the legend of the Neverarine, a lieberator of Morrowind. The story is interesting, but if you are the kind of player who does not like to read dialogue, forget it. Later on, you will be immersed with different political and religious factions, so reading dialogue is a must.

The journal is key to follow the quests and your progress in the story. However, the implementation in the vanilla game leaves a lot to be desired. A couple of hours in the game and the journal will be filled with information and keeping track of what you have done and what you should be doing in a quest can be a quest on its own. A pen and paper is your best friend, because the in-game journal is a liability.

The game world: Morrowind is a strange land; it has marshes, deserts, giant mushrooms as trees, and even unique architecture in cities like Ald´Ruhn. It has also a huge city called Vivec which for new comers will be a challenge to get around. Traveling in Morrowind is both a dangerous and long process. There is no fast travel, only silt striders in major towns, or you can use scrolls (provided you have bought them) to return to specific places, or be teleported between cities which have a mages guild.

But the story is the excuse to learn to play Morrowind. You can join the Fighters Guild, the Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, the local criminal syndicate Camonna Tong. You can adventure just to build up your character doing whatever you want. But this game is hard, you will die a lot, so saving is very very very important (also because it will crash sometimes).

The combat mechanics is a feature you may to get used to. It is very bad actually. Whether you hit a target with your weapon depends on the stats behind the scene, and since you do not have any indication if you hit your target or not, in the beginning of the game, combat can be anything but immersive and fun, and a trial by fire. If your character is going to be a warrior, be sure to pick the right perks. If combat in rpgs is your thing, Morrowind is not for you. Later on the combat is improved by your character´s stats, but it is not the attraction of Morrowind.

However, the thing about Morrowind is that you actually feel you build up your character. Yes, the beginning is hard and is a chore to say the least, but if you endure, you may get the satisfaction of your hard work. That is why this game is for those who enjoy spending time, failing, finding other ways to do things. It does not hold your hand, but rewards your persistence as you gain experience and if you overlook the bad combat. The NPCs do not level up with your character, so the weak ones who were a chore to defeat swinging your weapon like and idiot, will be a piece of cake later on; and the ones who made your life very hard because your level was too low, will be challenging but not unbeatable once your character is of a higher level.

Morrowind offers also an alchemy system. In the beginning you may actually fail to make potions, but little by little things work out for the better. Again, you gain experience with dedication.

Morrowind is a game that is and will be considered one of the best of the TES series by the hardcore fans. The joy comes from the freedom of Morrowind when you have high enough level to survive a rat or worm attack, and from mechanics exploits. While it is good that the game is challenging, the bad combat mechanics, awkward animations, the absence of fast travel and the comboluted journal, makes the life of the player harder than it should be and less fun.
  2. SiggiJ.
    Feb 28, 2006
    A decent RPG with an incredibly amount of content. Unfortunately, quests are linear and NPC interaction is primitive. There is alot of lore and background information for the enthusiast, but the storywriting lacks quality. In some situation, the game forces the player to make specific choices to proceed which may contradict the character's personality. Feedback to player decisisons A decent RPG with an incredibly amount of content. Unfortunately, quests are linear and NPC interaction is primitive. There is alot of lore and background information for the enthusiast, but the storywriting lacks quality. In some situation, the game forces the player to make specific choices to proceed which may contradict the character's personality. Feedback to player decisisons is lacking, the gameworld feels static and lifeless. Expand
  3. RobertB
    Aug 21, 2008
    The island of Morrowind is a large, well-realized world rich with lore and backstory which ties in well with the lengthy main quest and many optional side quests and guild affiliations. Unfortunately, the actual game-play is boring, one-dimensional, and extremely poorly balanced. Magic is either overpowered, with single spells making entire skills like Acrobatics or Lockpicking trivial, The island of Morrowind is a large, well-realized world rich with lore and backstory which ties in well with the lengthy main quest and many optional side quests and guild affiliations. Unfortunately, the actual game-play is boring, one-dimensional, and extremely poorly balanced. Magic is either overpowered, with single spells making entire skills like Acrobatics or Lockpicking trivial, or underpowered. In combat, magic is virtually useless unless you use really cheap tactics. Some things about the game sound good in theory, but in practice just don't work, such as skill advancement through skill use (in order to advance your magic skills to a usable level, you pretty much have to repeatedly cast spells out of combat). Fortunately, the PC version of this game has a host of mods available which patch up a lot of the game's flaws, but some of the underlying problems go unaddressed. The trick to enjoying Morrowind is not to think of it as a fun or exciting game, but more as an interactive storybook. Expand
  4. Mar 13, 2012
    The game is just too big for itself.So many repetitive areas and identical npc's and very similar quests.It would have been better if the world was half its size and that half sized morrowind would be filled with many diffrent quests and areas but of course the game was made in 2002 so you cant blame them but as i said before,itÅ
  5. Jan 31, 2014
    6/10 for a specific reason. It has brilliant moments and you think - great. Then it brings you right back down to disappointment again. That is the way the whole thing works anon anon. Speaking from about 100 hours play.

With the Overhaul pack 3 it looks spectacular, and as beautifully detailed as any modern game. I particularly love stone buildings. Literally from the moment you arrive in Seyda Neen, you think 'wow look at the graphics'. (I played quite a bit of Morrowind originally in 2002.) With Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 they have really created a gritty, earthy, mystical place to be.

It is immersive, and the main quest is good. It's main complaint about combat, really I have had little trouble with. If found by dodging and striking, my strikes mostly connect.

My criticism is about other aspects. It's unbelievable hard work. The effort you have to apply is monumental.

Why couldn't they put some more map markers with quests. Sometimes you get markers of a town to go to. Say you get there and do a task. The effort you have to go through to return to who gave you the task is unbelievable sometimes. Open the journal, try to determine the town, get to the town, search all the buildings. Why not just select quest, mark the givers house. This for me is just one aspect that requires so much work.

Some quests deliver punishing enemies. Yes I know the plan is return later when levelled up. I have one quest in mind that I have recently partially completed. I left it ages until I almost completed the main quest. The enemies were rock hard. I had to return sell off loot, grab more magika, more health, and go back. Guess what all the bad guys I killed on my first foray, had been replace with new enemies. Over and over, I had to return, each time getting a bit farther along. That has to be one of my main problems. Enemies replacing themselves. Sometimes you only have to pass from one area to another and return back to find enemies repopulated. **It's hard work people** Even from the start, beasties in the wild repopulate everytime you return to an area, even in the same day (meaning sunrise to sunset) in the game. You can't travel anywhere without being endlessy harassed by cliff racers.

Another of my main issues with it, is that is so maze like. Almost everywhere you go, you get lost. Dungeons have too many paths leading off. Each door you pass though means you map explore/reveal is in a new area. A little simplification is this would have made a striking difference.

There is more that disappoints, however this review would become too long. These reasons and more are why people say Oblivion is easier and less confusing: it's because Morrowind is hard.

It does however have great aspects, and you find yourself thinking, 'what a game'. That's what keeps you playing, and I still am.
  6. Mar 8, 2015
    Morrowind has such a good atmosphere and story that I started it 3 times (the first 2 times I gave up because of the bad described below). That's the good part.
    The bad is its graphics which have aged terribly, its incredibly bad combat (I never feel there is a connection between my clicks and the ingame hits), the lack of voiced dialogs (which was the standard at that time) and the really bad map (try finding somebody in Vivec, I dare you).
    The miracle that allowed me to start it the third time, enjoy it and not give up is Morroblivion, which finally made it playable.
    So about a 5/10 for the real Morrowind and then 2,5 extra for the Morroblivion mod (it's still not as good as Oblivion, my favourite ES) = 7,5/10.
  7. Aug 8, 2013
    After reading many accounts from diehard TES fans about the legendary status of Morrowind, I was finally convinced. They had convinced me Morrowind was the last best "hardcore" TES RPG. No quest marker, any npc killable at any time. Multiple factions all with their own unique story like the house of Telvanni dunmer mages, fighters guild, the two warring vampire houses and much much more. IAfter reading many accounts from diehard TES fans about the legendary status of Morrowind, I was finally convinced. They had convinced me Morrowind was the last best "hardcore" TES RPG. No quest marker, any npc killable at any time. Multiple factions all with their own unique story like the house of Telvanni dunmer mages, fighters guild, the two warring vampire houses and much much more. I was convinced this was more of a RPG than an action game, which is what Skyrim is. I was sold on Spellmaking, hidden treasures and more complex puzzles. Even with all this plus the Morrowind Graphics & Sound Overhaul mod installed I simply didn't last a few hours. All the rose tinted nostalgia spewing from the die hard Morrowind fans came crashing down as I realized Morrowind was severely lacking in many areas. Having played Oblivion and Skyrim before this, it felt like a severe downgrade.

For what it's worth, there are many features in Morrowind not present in Skyrim that I'd love. Spellmaking among countless. However these positive features can not ever hope be greater than it's flaws. In 2013, Morrowinds animations are archaic, old & clunky. The graphics & sound overhaul mod helps tremendously, but it's not quite enough to cover the deep feeling that this game has passed its time.

Compared to Skyrim, Morrowind I would say is definitely a lot more challenging than skyrim. I just wish I could get over it's horrendous combat & animations to enjoy it. Right after my 3 hour play session I uninstalled Morrowind and bought Skyrim Legendary Edition on sale for $35. About 30 hours of playtime later I'm noticing some things I don't like about it but overall I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
  8. Jun 26, 2011
    Not for everyone. The world is vast and stunning and the plot and lore are well done. However, the gameplay can be very tedious and at times the world feels like it's dead. Many of the side quests simply send you on errands.
  9. Apr 16, 2014
    I bought this game in 2014. It's clearly oooolllllldddd. But I've clocked about 20 hours or so and will keep going. Some of the mechanics are silly and archaic (e.g if your skill with a weapon is too low, you swing without connecting, time and time again). But even with annoyances such as this and the fact I can't enchant a poo to smell nice (10 soulgems down, not even a 1hp damageI bought this game in 2014. It's clearly oooolllllldddd. But I've clocked about 20 hours or so and will keep going. Some of the mechanics are silly and archaic (e.g if your skill with a weapon is too low, you swing without connecting, time and time again). But even with annoyances such as this and the fact I can't enchant a poo to smell nice (10 soulgems down, not even a 1hp damage enchantment success), it's a pretty charming game. The quest system is a pain in the ass and there's a lot of empty space to traipse through for the sake of making the game feel epic (Vivec is the most awful design ever), but if you've got a spare month or two, give it a shot. Expand
  10. Sep 18, 2011
    Well, it's not a bad game as such but it certainly doesn't come anywhere near the hype. Sure, the story was great, and I liked the system of magic items slowly recharging, but I couldn't finish it because the combat was just so boring. Seriously, I just had to sit there and continually LMB until it died. Also, beast legs just completely ruined the immersion for me; seeing an argonianWell, it's not a bad game as such but it certainly doesn't come anywhere near the hype. Sure, the story was great, and I liked the system of magic items slowly recharging, but I couldn't finish it because the combat was just so boring. Seriously, I just had to sit there and continually LMB until it died. Also, beast legs just completely ruined the immersion for me; seeing an argonian walking like it has a mental disorder just makes me burst out laughing. Expand
  11. Apr 8, 2013
    Morrowind is truly an amazing game, really tremendous. But I just don't like it. I really just don't understand why people see the game as visually appealing really, it just feels empty...placid, lifeless. I don't know how many NPC's there are but for me it just felt too empty. The quest so far is just so depressing and errand-like. The places all around the world are just so similar andMorrowind is truly an amazing game, really tremendous. But I just don't like it. I really just don't understand why people see the game as visually appealing really, it just feels empty...placid, lifeless. I don't know how many NPC's there are but for me it just felt too empty. The quest so far is just so depressing and errand-like. The places all around the world are just so similar and boring, some things look nice but nothing really made me gawp at the screen in admiration. I tried my hardest to get into it but in the end I just got bored, it is very difficult and very tedious. Quests are maddeningly boring, go fetch this, go get that and you just don't feel very rewarded by it. The combat is awful and tiresome but I suppose that would've been acceptable back then. The way you communicate with people is confusing and the NPC's usually treat you like dirt for no reason. However it is still fantastic, their is much depth and mystery but for me it was all to overwhelming. Get the game if your very patient. Expand
  12. May 28, 2016
    I definitely struggled to enjoy this RPG classic. Understandably, it's a defining release in open world RPG gaming with excellent music and great graphics for the time, but I found it difficult to get into this game without the nostalgic sentiment that probably drives many other players in the realm of Morrowind. My biggest critiques: 1) walking everywhere takes forever (this issue isI definitely struggled to enjoy this RPG classic. Understandably, it's a defining release in open world RPG gaming with excellent music and great graphics for the time, but I found it difficult to get into this game without the nostalgic sentiment that probably drives many other players in the realm of Morrowind. My biggest critiques: 1) walking everywhere takes forever (this issue is fixed wonderfully in the sequel, Oblivion, with fast travel, horses, and a more condensed map), 2) many of the quests are extremely repetitive and involve tortuously long walks to various locations. The map is epic and huge, which is awesome, unless it takes forever to walk everywhere, which is the case. You can ride to and from major cities via the silt strider network, but I found myself still having to walk for 5, 10, even 15 or more real-time minutes just to get to a location for a quest after riding to the nearest city via silt strider. Due to the repetitiveness of many of the quests, you'll have to walk the same long path several times before you complete the quest. I really felt like 60% of my play-through of the main quest and side quests was just walking slowly through the map. That being said, I appreciate Morrowind as a great foundation for it's sequels, Oblivion and Skyrim, some of the best games the RPG genre has ever seen. Expand

1. One of those games that just visually takes your breath away. It has some of the most detailed, and well realistically rendered environments and characters ever seen in a computer game.
  2. The Elder Scrolls tech support forum is overflowing with user complaints about compatibility issues. At any rate, this is still the biggest, deepest, most detailed RPG to hit the PC since Daggerfall, and for that, earns high marks.
  3. This is a game that can stay on your hard drive for six months, still offering new experiences.