The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PC

8.0

1. J.S.
    Mar 30, 2006
    If I could give it an 11 then I would. I would then subtract a point for Bethesda not fronting these guys some more testers. Awesome job can't wait for the patch!
  2. JonG.
    May 28, 2009
    As I write this, Oblivion has an average user rating of 7.5. That in and of itself is an absolute travisty. This is a great game. What more do you low raters want? You want the game designers to come to your house and stand on their heads for you? An enormous amount of great content was packed into this game. Also, it has an excellent modding community that is constantly changing every As I write this, Oblivion has an average user rating of 7.5. That in and of itself is an absolute travisty. This is a great game. What more do you low raters want? You want the game designers to come to your house and stand on their heads for you? An enormous amount of great content was packed into this game. Also, it has an excellent modding community that is constantly changing every aspect of the game - keeping it fresh (for free!). You can get this game for $20 now and have $2000 worth of content after a few hours online. Expand
  3. GabrieleAccurso
    Dec 23, 2008
    AH Oblivion! The best rpg of all time (i havn't played with morrowind) come out in year 2006 i have played it all year 2007 (all 1 year) the best graphics before crysis. Simply immense, freedom and fantasy style incredible, kinds and kinds of everything... the next generation of RPG!
  4. SuperMan
    Dec 24, 2009
    Severely underrated game. Graphics and physics and still fast and responsive.
  5. Sep 30, 2011
    I can really do without a game telling me on screen that I've reached the entrance to a cave when I'm stood 1 foot away from said entrance. A game where levelling up seems more than a bit pointless. A game where I'm thinking 'why don't they get the guards to do this quest - they're obviously more capable'. A game which threw away many of the great things that its predecessor had. But II can really do without a game telling me on screen that I've reached the entrance to a cave when I'm stood 1 foot away from said entrance. A game where levelling up seems more than a bit pointless. A game where I'm thinking 'why don't they get the guards to do this quest - they're obviously more capable'. A game which threw away many of the great things that its predecessor had. But I can't honestly give this game less than an 8. It's entertaining, engaging and has some replayability and if it grabs you, you will probably spend a lot of time with it. Personally, I found it a lot more enjoyable when I finished the game at level 8 as opposed to level 24., which says it all about the levelling system. Still, at today's prices I would consider it a great buy. Expand
  6. Jul 4, 2011
    revolutionary game that sets the bar so high for open world RPG's that it probably wont be beat by any game except its own sequel. A HUGE open world that has a life of its own. You can take almost any action you can think of. Combat is VASTLY improved compared to morrowind and is much more fun. This is as close to the perfect game as it gets.
  7. Jul 13, 2011
    Oblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players willOblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players will have no idea what they're doing, as it doesn't tell you what specializing in a skill will do. Overall, the minor flaws can be overlooked by great overall gameplay, and this is a worthwhile game. Expand
  8. Luke
    Mar 10, 2006
    Are you kidding me if anyone gave this game a lower score then at 10 out of 10 they r nuts its just like morowind with a major graphicall over-hall. This game actualy has a physics engine and its over 100 hrs of gameplay which means ill never finish this one just like i never finished morrowind but at least ill have the time of my life plain it
  9. Sep 18, 2011
    Most engaging game I've ever played. The world is immense and the things to do seem unlimited. I've gotten a lot of playability out of this game. A truly good game for me is one where I can beat it in a different way than my friends will. I love the customization and oblivion has plenty.
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    The world of Oblivion is a seemingly live one. Mountains, caves, and a copious amount of missions would keep anyone busy for hours on end. The sheer beauty of this game is sometimes overshadowed by repetitive voice acting and boring level design; there is no denying the brilliance that comes from looking at the night sky while Jeremy Soule's soundtrack plays in your headphones.
  11. Nov 30, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is what an RPG should be - compelling story plot, tons of side quest and a large open world to explore. The automatic leveling system leaves something to be desired. But then again, the more you use certain skills, the better you should get at those skills. The graphics leave something to be desired, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  12. Sep 9, 2012
    Amazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded withAmazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded with mods. Talking about mods, find some you like from the tons available and that will make you play it for an entire year without repetition. Good deal indeed. Expand
  13. May 24, 2014
    Really awesome,unique RPG game with interesting stories and quests.
    It has great story,graphics,this game can kep you entertained for many many hours.
    And of course,the Expansions,and the moddability launches the game in the sky!
  14. Jul 16, 2015
    Don't compare this game to Skyrim. It's unique, especially for the time it was released. Magnificent world, great storyline, absolutely fantastic soundtrack: this game has it all.
  15. Nov 23, 2011
    I am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, seriousI am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, serious gamers, posers, people posing to be a poser, kids and beginners, 10/10 Expand
  16. StephenS.
    Dec 9, 2009
    I can honestly say that this is my favorite game possibly created. Amazing graphics and game play, so many possibilities of character creation and everything is reflected on what you do in the game play world. If this was Co-op there would be no other game that could compete with this...
  17. NikitaG
    Jun 19, 2009
    This game is arguably the best game I have ever played in my life. The graphics are amazing, there are many revolutionary features, such as the voice overs, but the thing that really won me over was the depth. I bought this game in 2006, and I still play it today. Unmodded, the game has so much content its just mind blowing, and with along with mods, this game could easily last you This game is arguably the best game I have ever played in my life. The graphics are amazing, there are many revolutionary features, such as the voice overs, but the thing that really won me over was the depth. I bought this game in 2006, and I still play it today. Unmodded, the game has so much content its just mind blowing, and with along with mods, this game could easily last you several years. I have noticed that most people either love this game, or hate it. Oblivion's nonlinear and lack of 'in your face' action makes it boring for some people. But you owe it to yourself, give it a try if you have not. Expand
  18. DavidM
    Jun 23, 2009
    Unmodded the game became tedious with the scaling levling system and I quickly put it down. Months later I modded out the scaling and over 100 hours of play.
  19. EthanKunz
    Jul 28, 2009
    This is probably the best game I've ever played, and I've played them all. While it has some minor flaws in npcs, it makes up for this in almost every other way. What really added to the game for me were the mods that hardcore gamers have been coming up with. I'm still playing it!
  20. MikeM
    Jul 6, 2009
    Amazing game. In order to fully appreciate it though you must have the game for the PC. The mod community is enormous and some mod creators are awesomely talented. 10 out of 10.
  21. LeviA.
    Sep 22, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played. Ignore the whiny little kids with poor grammar skills that rated it low. They probably played it for about 20 minutes before stopping. The game may also require somewhat of an imagination too play. I have had this game for 4 years and still haven't completed the main quest and I still play it once every week. It is the best game ever made.
  22. BrandonL
    Jan 17, 2010
    The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in the game, well just about..... The combat system is very simple, you can learn new melee moves and spells are a breeze to use. Character customization is very large and creating your own class is a very interesting thing to use. Basically the sky is the limit in this game. Make your own spells and weapons with special abilites. Monsters play very much like you and everything they wear u can take which i really dig that. Quests are very very deep and not just a simple kill this and kill that. the AI plays very well and play similar to you. There is no shortage of things to do. I mean you can beat the game and hundreds and hundreds of quests. Difficulty can be adjusted. The game is user friendly and isn't difficult at all. Works perfectly on a console. It plays unlike any other RPG out there right now, besides fallout of course. PEOPLE WHO GIVE THIS GAME A 0/10 REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES A GOOD RPG A GOOD RPG!!! this game is amazing, graphics, voice acting, enviroment, combat system are all perfected and are amazing. Expand
  23. EE
    Nov 18, 2009
    Oblivion is an amazing game that lives up to the expectations set down by bethesda's other games such as morrowind and Fallout 3. Amazing graphics, wonderful performance, and hours of great fun. And when you finish with the game, just install a few mods and it is new again! Completely worth $50.
  24. RadekK
    Dec 20, 2009
    A little easier and simpler than Morrowind, but I gave 10. I hope that next Elder Scrolls V will be even better.
  25. Oct 28, 2010
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros
    -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a snow-peaked mountain far off in the distance. You can go to the top of this mountain. Along the way you may run into a wolf, an ogre, or a friendly Orc living in a well appointed manner.

-The awesome questing system. There are literally hundreds of hours of quests to be found here, all interesting. Whether it's climbing the ranks in the sinister Dark Brotherhood, fighting Mehrunes Dagon, or sorting out a crooked merchant you will be entertained for hours.

-Finally, the graphics and gameplay were amazing for its time. They still look very good unmodded, but modded (specifically with Qarl's texture pack) it looks absolutely amazing. The gameplay is fun, the swordplay is simple but not repetitive, and the magic is entertaining.

Theres are several negatives to this, none of which prevent it from being a 10, but still are worth being mentioned.

-Voice actors. They used (for some obtuse reason) a very small group of voice actors. The voices do become repetitive.

-Dialog system is iffy. Kind of strange

Overall an excellent game. Highly recommend the PC version to anyone who enjoys RPGs or who wants to try something other than Call of Duty.
  26. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for beingThis is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for being one of the best role-playing games in years, but the immersive and long-lasting experience it provided wasn't for everyone. Oblivion is hands-down better, so much so that even those who'd normally have no interest in a role-playing game should find it hard to resist getting swept up in this big, beautiful, meticulously crafted world. Expand
  27. Kronox
    Dec 1, 2009
    Not even gonna speak long on this game, its virtues are obvious. This is an instant classic and a must own on whatever platform you play. Anyone who thinks this is a bad game simply hasn't a clue as to what a good game is and their review is worthless.
  28. Jul 2, 2011
    Where to begin, Oblivion is one of the best games ever created. The joy of exploring a huge open fantasy world is just delicious indeed. Plus Oblivion is very accessible for all you "dumbed-down" types. Be sure to download the essential mods (50+ of those, 4 being my mods, hehe) to create the most awesome open-world RPG ever. Another must play. Don't talk to me about RPGs until you play this.
  29. Jul 5, 2011
    Well what can i say that everyone hasn't Morrowind (Oblivion) is One of the most complex games out there it may be outdated on Graphics but it surpasses most if not all other Role Playing Games on the market when it comes to a big world with almost endless quests and more gear then you can think of. Great game i cant wait until Skyrim comes out to set the new Standard on Role Playing Games.
  30. Aug 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods andThis is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods and reinstalled it played perfectly so i think it was the mods that were screwing it up (which makes me sad because there's a plethora of really cool mods for this game too). So far in playing the un-modded and officially patched game I've run across no bugs whatsoever so I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. Expand
  31. Jul 9, 2012
    My personal favourite... The best game I've ever played and I still play... Amazing felling and great gameplay despite the few bugs and glitches in it. After having played more than 100 houres of the game I still have things to do... A great advantage is also the MODING community which adds new cool stuf even now!! Simply AMAZING!!
  32. Mar 17, 2011
    Oblivion is the greatest game I have ever played. The graphics increase the standards for all future games. It will be a long time till any game beats this and that game will probably be Elder Scrolls V.
  33. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever created. Massive world,massive amount of customization,amazing graphics, beautiful soundtrack and touching story makes Oblivion an experience of lifetime. Oblivion improves everything from Morrowind. Get ready to lose your social life!
  34. Jul 30, 2012
    this was best game i loved xbox version ps3 version & pc version i love this game so much no glitches no nothing perfect only thing is if they re did this game i hope they make it with compatible with xbox controller
  35. ChristianS.
    Dec 1, 2007
    The graphics of this game is outstanding. the quests is intense. the bugs bring it down, but the mods stand up for that mistake. this game has many of quests. there is 100s of hours of gameplay and you can roam around and get alot of good items.
  36. May 22, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily toElder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily to the atmosphere, making you feel like part of this enormous world. However majority of those locations I've mentioned are pretty repetitive. A lot of caves and other dungeons look the same. Hence the free-roaming does get boring eventually. The character creation feature however is phenomenal. First of all you get to choose one of 10 races (4 races of humans, 3 races of elves, and then also orcs, argonians and khajiit), each one with its own set of pros and cons. After you've chosen a race you customize the character's appearance, all of their facial features, etc. After that you pick a class. Best idea to perhaps customize your own class, because the way it works is that each class favours a certain set of skills and attributes, meaning you get bonuses to those at the start and they are the ones that would contribute to your levelling up. So getting to choose the attributes yourself is the best. The main story is not bad. It does have its good bits and also some boring bits, but all in all worth playing through at least once. The game has a huge amount of side quests too, as well as 4 different factions, all of which have their own story arcs as well - Fighter's guild, Mages' guild, Thieves' guild and The Dark Brotherhood (aka Assassins' guild). There is a good variety of various armors and weapons. However for the most part the better items only start appearing once you reach a certain level, and the levelling up is rather slow. Nevertheless, due to such a big variety of skills, the game can be played in many different ways - a sturdy paladin, a silent archer, a fierce spellcaster, a poison assassin, a hand-to-hand fighter, etc. However playing as the same character for long does get repetitive, and hence I'd say Oblivion is not one of those games you tend to come back to very quickly after completing it. Overall it's a beautiful and very atmospheric game. It's a consuming new world. That's what it is. When you play Oblivion, you find yourself feeling like you're part of it. Expand
  37. Oct 18, 2012
    The game is nice to play, but you don't really feel that you have progressed when you level up, because enemies level up as well. Loot and rewards are leveled as well, so you may have to wait till you're at a greater level before starting some quests in order to better equipment. The leveling system ruins this otherwise beautiful game.
  38. Jan 26, 2013
    TES IV: Oblivion opened the door of a new kind of RPG playing, it's visuals and it's gameplay are wonderful but still, and as many Bethesda games, t's a bit buggy. Even though, I believe this is one of the best games Bethesda ever made.
  39. Ndi
    Jun 12, 2013
    The game is great, superb graphics, well optimized, stable. But that gives it an 8.

The 9 is because of immersion. No only is the game absolutely immersive, more so than any other TES games (Skyrim included) but it's so impressive that sometimes I just stop and look around, soaking the atmosphere. Sunset by the sea, with the sun making its reflection on water orange-red, storm in the woods, with an amazing sound and the trees swaying in the wind, grass shaking and animals running for cover. This makes the game more than a walk-talk-fight game if you take the time.

And the 10 is because Oblivion is one of the most expanded and modified game ever made. Thousands of skins, bodies, armors, weapons, locations, adventure, missions, even the books have content that can be added, effects, magic, textures, SFX, sound, music, everything.

If you have the computing power, a high resolution pack makes this game a marvel even in 2013, 7 years after its release and the community keeps it fresh every day.

This game deserves its place among the titans.
  40. Dec 9, 2011
    A FREEEEKEN AWESOME GAME! I still play it now and it still brings fun...................................................................................................................................................................................................
  41. Oct 5, 2012
    The advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled withThe advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled with difficulty spikes at all. Rather you will need to bump up the game difficulty as you progress to a demi-god mastering all skill areas. Except for superficial graphics, EVERYTHING in Oblivion is better and more fun than Skyrim. Especially the guild quests, but also such things as the NPC's despite the ridculous encounter interface and the use of only 5 voice actors. Yet the core reason it is MUCH better, is that the player can build their character as they like and can master all fields with no penalty. Crafting and magic in this game is far more potent, interesting and worthwhile than in Skyrim. The Elven Ruins have a far better mood than the Dwarven ones. When you consider how perfect the keybingings and the UI are in this game to how poor they are in Skyrim its clear that it is Oblivion, not Morrowind that marks the highpoint of Bethesda fantasy RPG design. Before they start anything else the team owes it to their fans to spend 12 months making a massive patch to bring all that fails so bad in Skyrim back up to the level they had yet lost with Oblivion. Expand
  42. DerekL
    Aug 12, 2008
    This gets 9.5 from me. It's an insanely good game, it lets a complete idiot modify the game making new levels, items, spells, etc. The first month or two is fun, adding Shivering Isles gives it about another 2 weeks to 1 month, small mods give about 35 more hours, and large mods give it another week or two (or three), and mods you make get about another couple hours to 3 weeks. But This gets 9.5 from me. It's an insanely good game, it lets a complete idiot modify the game making new levels, items, spells, etc. The first month or two is fun, adding Shivering Isles gives it about another 2 weeks to 1 month, small mods give about 35 more hours, and large mods give it another week or two (or three), and mods you make get about another couple hours to 3 weeks. But after that we get a repetitive game full of boring side quests and dungeons you've already searched. However, if you play a different game for a while Oblivion regains all 100% playability. Expand
  43. Jul 8, 2014
    Vanilla Oblivion is nothing outstanding on its own with its poor leveling system and overly saturated visuals. Installing mods makes Oblivion a much better experience overall though. You can then experience the game's interesting questlines without having to run into the aforementioned issues.
  44. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 10 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 6 out of 10, Difficulty: 8 out of 10, Length: 10 out of 10, Re-play: 6 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  45. TallDude
    Dec 21, 2007
    Great open ended RPG game, I highly recommend it. Tons of mods available to make the game even better.
  46. Dec 26, 2010
    Would've been way better had I not played Fallout 3 first, but this is only getting a slightly above average score since you have to get it on pc and get mods to fix the glaring gameplay problems like psychic guards, a retarded leveling system, and so on.
  47. Jan 5, 2013
    Oblivion is no doubt an excellent game. My review might be a bit judgement-clouded because I've played Skyrim and waited too long to do a review on this game. On one hand, the storytelling, character development, spells and variety of weapons/skills/potions are all done with brilliance. On the other hand, some parts of the game seem insanely rushed and unpolished. The caves are copy andOblivion is no doubt an excellent game. My review might be a bit judgement-clouded because I've played Skyrim and waited too long to do a review on this game. On one hand, the storytelling, character development, spells and variety of weapons/skills/potions are all done with brilliance. On the other hand, some parts of the game seem insanely rushed and unpolished. The caves are copy and pastes. The time-freezing when talking to NPC's is very stupid and sucks away the atmosphere. The level up system is pretty bad, but tolerable... Somewhat. Some NPC's will change the pitch of their voice out of nowhere. The sneaking is done well, but can be very unpredictable and frustrating because you can still be detected no matter how quiet or far away you were. No diagonal running, ugh. The dialogue between NPC's is as bad as a Tommy Wiseau movie. Some potions found in the game have hardly any reason to exist, because potions like "Restore 1 Luck Point" is beyond trivial. Overall, the game is great, but the many glitches and laziness of the game is there too. Expand
  48. May 16, 2013
    The best game of 2006 when fully patched! Huge and beautiful world of Syrodyl can give you an adventure you won't forget! Sure it has it's downside lack of memorable characters(except maybe Martin voiced by Sean Bean), and most missions are boring (go bring me...).
  49. Sep 6, 2014
    Finally I'm looking into one of the best PC RPGs next to Diablo II, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion! And let me just say, I'm not disappointed. Before I dove into my painfully long review, I want to get something clear: This is a review of the vanilla game, as in how the people at Bethesda intended it to be played. So no mods whatsoever, just pure Oblivion.
    Oblivion came out almost 8 1/2
    Oblivion came out almost 8 1/2 yars ago, but I just picked it up 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've logged in over 140 hours into the game, playing it nonstop. The game is just WAAAY to fun to be overlooked. It is possibly the greatest game I've ever played.
    You start out Oblivion as a prisoner. Based on what I'm told from other people, this is Elder Scrolls tradition. And somehow you get tied up in this plot with a demonic cult trying to kill the Emperor of Tamriel opening the gates of Oblivion to what I can only assume is hell. But apparently the Emperor has a bastard son and he's the only one who can saved the doomed world from Oblivion. And really you're just a side character standing there watching all the action unfold and even though you're crowned champion of Cyrodiil, really you're just a side character. So it's not that appealing. On the more positive side of things. . .
    One of the most amazing things about Oblivion is the system it uses called radiant AI. It gives each NPC a schedule; they'll wake up, eat their breakfast, go to work, go to the pub, or even, on occasions travel to another city. They'll also talk to one another, usually discussing the lastest news or how much they hate mudcrabs. And all of this adds to the living-breathing world factor of Oblivion, it's immersive and fun.
    Another thing that totally stunned me about Oblivion was the environment of Cyrodiil; it is gorgeous. Each part of the map is varied and different; there are the grasslands of the Imperial City, to the snowy mounntains of Bruma, to the swampy lowlands of Leyawiin and so on. Nearly 400 locations ranging from forts to Ayleid Ruins make the world feel much bigger than 16 square miles, and they immerse you, once again, adding to the living, breathing world factor.
    I also really enjoyed the quests as well. The main quest was good, but the side quests and factional quests are really what took the cake for me. I'll never forget when I killed 5 people at a party, and they had no clue I was the killer. Or how about that time I stole a FREAKING Elder Scroll for the Gray Fox? Awesome. Or my personal favorite, doing some dirty work for Sanguine, and stripping the Countess and her dinner guests down to their panties? There are plenty of colorful NPCs who will give you quests like this.
    Oblivion also features a fast-travel system, allowing you to fast travel to any location you had previously discovered, which I personally like since it cuts out all that unnecessary walkingeven though you've already discoveredthe place and it's kind of pointless having to walk 3 miles just to get there. Select characters and enemies level up with you, in my opinion that's a fascinating concept becasue it sucks all the fun out of the game if you hit level 50 and become GOD. Voice talent in Oblivion is great as well. They use some of the famous actor from movies like Terence Stamp (Superman) and Patrick Stewart (Star Trek). There are alot of cheesy lines, but it's a good and funny kind of cheesy, so I let it slide. Like in any RPG, you have skills and you level up, obviously. If there's one thing bad I can say about Oblivion, is that I've encountered a few bugs. PCs aren't supposed to have that big a problem with bugs as consoles. . .oh dear, then just think about how much worse it'll be on Xbox 360.
    So that's my review. As you can see, I have super positive feelings on Oblivion. I'm dying to play Morrowind and Skyrim (it's coming in the mail tomorrow) and all the DLC and expansions, and see if they're just as good if not better than Oblivion. But for right now, me and my level 35 Imperial Assassin are going to go have some fun with the Mages Guild.
    P.S. I'm sorry if I mispelled anything, I turned off the spell check.
  50. Mar 8, 2014
    It's amazing how this game managed to make me lose 200+ hours to it over all the amazing experiences I went through while playing it. I'm not really surprised. The game is beautiful, vibrant and in its own way, made me feel as if I was actually accomplishing something rather than just getting to the next objective. Skyrim was good, but it never gave me the same joy as when I was playing this game.
  51. Baaj
    Apr 13, 2006
    Prepare to give up your social life and significant others and be immersed in the world of Cyrodill! A few bugs aside, this is truly the best game out there to date. You'll need a really powerful system to get this game running at its best though.
  52. TonyN.
    Apr 6, 2006
    This game is extremely big.Its like GTA San andreas in the past.Thats the kind of games I like because of their freedom.the AIs are well programed and graphics amazing.One of the best RPG games ever.
  53. MikeyP.
    Apr 8, 2006
    Amazing game. I just started and solved some quests (like 5 hours of play) and this game pushes you to play and pay with sleepless nights. It's hard to play Oblivion and have a job.
  54. RoGuE
    Feb 3, 2010
    I have been playing this game now for over 3 years. I absolutely love it. It never gets boring, what, with all the different abilities, characters and secrets out there!! What the hell is with those poor, lifeless, cynical souls who give Oblivion a 0/10? Well, I have a message for you braindead people: This game is one of the best ever made, simply because, it's simple to play, I have been playing this game now for over 3 years. I absolutely love it. It never gets boring, what, with all the different abilities, characters and secrets out there!! What the hell is with those poor, lifeless, cynical souls who give Oblivion a 0/10? Well, I have a message for you braindead people: This game is one of the best ever made, simply because, it's simple to play, understand, and enjoy. The plot is excellent and well tied-in with the other TES titles, the combat is very diverse and can be done in many different ways, most quests are interesting and fun with great rewards, and it always has a very challenging aspect. If you have not got this game, (you poor, poor people) then I suggest succumbering to the hype and getting it as soon as possible!! Expand
  55. RyanB
    Aug 7, 2010
    Best game I've ever played. Graphics are amazing, almost no lag for the amount of detail is put into everything. Vast amount of weapons, armors, AI, and quests. The weapons have outstanding amount of detail, along with the armors and such. The only real disappointment I had about this game was the short main story. But the 200+ side quests more than make up for it. If I had played Best game I've ever played. Graphics are amazing, almost no lag for the amount of detail is put into everything. Vast amount of weapons, armors, AI, and quests. The weapons have outstanding amount of detail, along with the armors and such. The only real disappointment I had about this game was the short main story. But the 200+ side quests more than make up for it. If I had played through the main quest without stopping to do side quests it maybe would have taken 4-5 hours. But, with the Shivering Isles expansion and the other expansions available for all three consoles, I've played the game for over 50 hours in total. Overall, This game is spectacular. I'd give it a 9.8 out of 10. Expand
  56. BrandonM.
    Mar 26, 2006
    First off " Doom3 and HL2 were both superior games technically speaking. " Aelius I have both D3 and HL2 and the only thing and I mean the only thing I can think of that made one of these titles superior to oblivion was HL2 lip sync, it was much more advanced and the background textures looked more polished but with an engine trying to do as much as it can for the outside environments and First off " Doom3 and HL2 were both superior games technically speaking. " Aelius I have both D3 and HL2 and the only thing and I mean the only thing I can think of that made one of these titles superior to oblivion was HL2 lip sync, it was much more advanced and the background textures looked more polished but with an engine trying to do as much as it can for the outside environments and all ready some long load times on the xbox 360 (yes I did by the pc and have no problems there) there not going to include high res textures for everything but nothing else I could see was superior. Is the game buged? Yes, some problems with quests and the stealing system definatly needs to be changed because how are they going to know that a spoon I stole is in fact stolen when no one saw me do it? Have I heard of other problems, of course but at least most of them are not as severe as Morrowind when it was first released. The only major complaints I have is the removale of the minor skills (you only have major skills to level up on now) and many other skills are now gone, I don't feel that there is any less customization involved for the players as far as items go but it does feel less flexable for players to actually progress them the way that they want. The new way to use the speechcraft skill is indeed ludacrist, I also have a high end pc and the draw distance for the outdoor buildings needs to be looked into because all I see with building in my direct line of view is see popups when walking towards them but coming over hills or through the forest its fine because something is obscuring your view anyways. Those are my only rants about so what do I like? Literally everything else, so much so I can't describe them all in this vote! This maybe a spoiler but if you find something that can cast electrical damage, find the nearest body of water than cast it into the water and you will see an awesome effect. Why did I give this a 9 then when I like it so much? Simple even though the bugs are few and far between and there are some petty annoyances with some of the systems it does take away from the imerssion factor which is what any rpg tries to do with annoying but you can't like everything there is but don't let these problems distract from what is done really really well, besides what good is a pc game with out a patch? oh and mods too! Expand
  57. GabrielM.
    Apr 30, 2006
    The scaling sistem here is a complete nonsence. Advancing from lev1 to lev8 is o shock :(. Also the story is vast but a bit absurd in some parts. The good part is that you have incredible graphics and sound and a extremely detailed world (that is IF you have a super rig!)
  58. JohnD.
    Apr 3, 2006
    This game is like a drug you cant stop playing. the graphic are imerse the AI could be better. Inever thought any game could be this good.
  59. FrankC.
    Apr 3, 2006
    As everyone says, it's simply fantastic. The quests are engaging, and the voice acting is good. The engine is a marvel. Here's what I'd say though - unless you can download 3DMark and break 4000, with a CPU score of over 900, I wouldn't attempt it. If you don't know how to overclock your rig, it might be a good time to learn. It's simply not the same game As everyone says, it's simply fantastic. The quests are engaging, and the voice acting is good. The engine is a marvel. Here's what I'd say though - unless you can download 3DMark and break 4000, with a CPU score of over 900, I wouldn't attempt it. If you don't know how to overclock your rig, it might be a good time to learn. It's simply not the same game without the eye candy, the shadows and water and mist and reflecting surfaces, etc. THe world is big, and it's rich and you can't help but find things to do. Unlike Morrowwind, you won't get bored. Expand
  60. UNI
    Apr 5, 2006
    So stupid AI, technical problems etc. The game is good but not perfect.
  61. HerbertH.
    May 18, 2006
    I give this a ten because it's worth more than 9 and a half. Now notched up 100 hours (Level 26 "Nightblade") If you are into RPG's then onlt Balders Gate II beats it. Don't want to bore people with what I've done or where i've been - but suffice to say I've played for well over 100 hours - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thats brilliant value for money (25 quid I give this a ten because it's worth more than 9 and a half. Now notched up 100 hours (Level 26 "Nightblade") If you are into RPG's then onlt Balders Gate II beats it. Don't want to bore people with what I've done or where i've been - but suffice to say I've played for well over 100 hours - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thats brilliant value for money (25 quid from play.com) Oooh one bit of advice, don't get the"Collectors edition" , save the moeny and get the players guide - it's written by the game designers themselves and is brilliant. Expand
  62. Predator
    Jun 4, 2006
    The biggest game ever.So many thing to do.10 means that the game is perfect,but no game is perfect.It has little problems like crashing,glitches and bugs but almost all of that is fixed in the new patch.
  63. KonradN.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Just brilliant, crashes alot but doesnt take long to load so I dont mind. There are so many paths you can take that this game is HUGE. Also you cant do everything because for example you may kill someone who later would give you a quest so there is a huge amount of replay value in there. Also you can go anywhere at any level, this does make the leveling up a bit pointless but its great anyway.
  64. Humb1estWalker
    Aug 4, 2006
    This game is simply sweet. You know the types of games where it's like touching your car after driving for 4 days straight and than when you touch it, it burns of your fingers. Well Oblivion is like touching a car after driving it for 4 years straight and instead of burning of your fingers off you burn your self into ashes. Buy this game now playa!
  65. PhilP.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Hands down one of the best games I have ever played. And I have been playing games since the 2D side scrolling Duke Nukem games. Not only does it offer an easy 100+ hours of gameplay, it is fun and engaging all the way through. Not only does it have the main storyline, it has like 3 guilds, the dark brotherhood, and the arena to go through that could almost be a game in themselves. Throw Hands down one of the best games I have ever played. And I have been playing games since the 2D side scrolling Duke Nukem games. Not only does it offer an easy 100+ hours of gameplay, it is fun and engaging all the way through. Not only does it have the main storyline, it has like 3 guilds, the dark brotherhood, and the arena to go through that could almost be a game in themselves. Throw in physics oriented combat, and just the sheer coolness of the world and everything you can do with it (water walking shoes rock), and this game is light years ahead of other games of this genre. Not only that, but it pulls it all together with incredible polish. I can't recommend this game enough. The only downside is that it might be too long! Some players may lose interest and have to take a break from it. But do come back, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  66. AnonymousMC
    Jun 25, 2007
    This Game is incredible the best and most addictive RPG or game i've ever played.I've played over 630 hours of it. The choices are endless, thousands of items, weapons, armor, and spells and the good physics engine make the possiblilties endless. no two characters will be the same. . the only problems are the glitches but thats fixed eaily with the free patches atThis Game is incredible the best and most addictive RPG or game i've ever played.I've played over 630 hours of it. The choices are endless, thousands of items, weapons, armor, and spells and the good physics engine make the possiblilties endless. no two characters will be the same. . the only problems are the glitches but thats fixed eaily with the free patches at elderscrolls.com. and all the plugins and expansions left me playing this game for months. It's pure gaming freedom. 11 out of 10 in my opinion. Expand
  67. 5-HT
    Feb 2, 2008
    This is a fine combination of action, RPG and FPS. The sounds are great, as are the graphics. My only complaint is the fact that the PC version is prone to crashing. The expansion packs are also great. If it ran consistently, I'd give it a solid 10. Save yourself some money in the long-run, and buy the game of the year edition.
  68. OskarS.
    Feb 6, 2008
    This is a wonderful game with loads of options. If you get the expansions and download a few nice mods, the possibilities are almost endless! When you have learned to use the "TES 4 Mod Maker", you can modify the game in any way you like. Any RPG fans who doesn't require a multiplayer part would love this game!
  69. KC
    May 11, 2008
    I wasn't an Elder Scrolls fan even for morrowind, but this is quite simply the best game I've had regardless of genre or platform I've played in a long while. the worlds and visuals are beautiful yet moderately taxing on any average system. My one and only bad, is the lack of super enemies towards the later part of the game that will allow the player to work his muscles on I wasn't an Elder Scrolls fan even for morrowind, but this is quite simply the best game I've had regardless of genre or platform I've played in a long while. the worlds and visuals are beautiful yet moderately taxing on any average system. My one and only bad, is the lack of super enemies towards the later part of the game that will allow the player to work his muscles on it. The gameplay is broad and open - the options available for the player at any point in the game makes this one strong contender for the RPG throne. Expand
  70. MalkeL.
    Jul 3, 2008
    I have been playing games for 10 years now, and Oblivion is the only one I have ever played twice and did it for 8 months and loved every minute of it.
  71. AnonymousMC
    Jan 30, 2009
    I rofled when I read the comment and it said whats the point of buying horse. Well the point of buying horse is that u can fastly travel in wilderness where u cant fast travel...but I do admit that there could be more voice actors. But really someone really play game because it has cool voice actors?
  72. RobC.
    Mar 21, 2006
    The trees in this game look realer than the trees in my backyard.
  73. Brian
    Mar 22, 2006
    The only complaint I've had with Oblivion is the texturing at a small distance is very low-quality, which makes you wince. Once you overlook that, however, the game is incredibly gorgeous, the combat is incredibly fun, it's incredibly deep, the music and sound effects (especially the arrow sounds changing depending on what type of surface it hits) are spectacular... incredible The only complaint I've had with Oblivion is the texturing at a small distance is very low-quality, which makes you wince. Once you overlook that, however, the game is incredibly gorgeous, the combat is incredibly fun, it's incredibly deep, the music and sound effects (especially the arrow sounds changing depending on what type of surface it hits) are spectacular... incredible game. Buy it. Expand
  74. Cactus
    Mar 22, 2006
    Aelius makes a good point about the production values with some of the voices, but most of this game is grat and the gameplay is excellent, with massive regions, on-the-fly loading acrosss large maps, and amazingly fun and detailed combat. Even better, it's running fine on my 9800pro with some pretty nice graphics, though certainly not as pretty as say the XBOX 360 version. Aelius makes a good point about the production values with some of the voices, but most of this game is grat and the gameplay is excellent, with massive regions, on-the-fly loading acrosss large maps, and amazingly fun and detailed combat. Even better, it's running fine on my 9800pro with some pretty nice graphics, though certainly not as pretty as say the XBOX 360 version. Definately work a pick up. Expand
  75. TimN.
    Mar 22, 2006
    This looks like one of those games that make a change in game history. Best aspects are the radient AI, physics engine, horse mounts and a cool thief system, other then that the content will let you play for hours, if you do manage to run out you can use the conrstuction set or download other people's mods. If you love RPGs then this is for you.
  76. HarryR.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Excellent rpg. Does everything it promises, looks good, and redefines the rpg genre. Be warned though, you'll lose a lot of time while playing.
  77. Darkside
    Mar 22, 2006
    its so cool it is way cooler then morrowind and that stole alot of my life i can see that this one will steal even more of my liife and i have only played it for a day. Aelius S. has no clue on what he is talking about. this game is exelent in every way and should not be compared to doom 3 which cant be compared to it becuse oblivion is better then that game.
  78. JamieS.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Oblivion is a great game. If you like RPG's, you HAVE to buy this game. But there are some bad points too. First the good: The world is huge and interesting. The trees, grass, water and geometry are interesting. The menu systems/inventory management works well. I'm looking forward to playing it for a long time. It's a quantum leap graphically over any RPG around currently. Oblivion is a great game. If you like RPG's, you HAVE to buy this game. But there are some bad points too. First the good: The world is huge and interesting. The trees, grass, water and geometry are interesting. The menu systems/inventory management works well. I'm looking forward to playing it for a long time. It's a quantum leap graphically over any RPG around currently. Now the bad: They cheated us. The game-review screenshots you saw are NOT WHAT THE GAME LOOKS LIKE. I have an XFX 7800 GS card. I pumped all the settings up to max, all the view distances up to max. And it still doesn't look like the review screenshots. In the reviews, the world view scales beautifully, textured as far as the eye can see, and grassed and planted too. But in the real game, the only thing you can see in the distance are trees and general geometry. Grass and even ground textures disappear and are replaced by what looks like blurry green muck. ANd you know how they boasted in the video preview about the markers that appear on the map to show you places of interest? Well ,the truth is, they HAD to put them in - because buildings disappear at such a short distance that, looking across river to a hillside where a building is supposed to be (no more than 100 meters away!) --- it's invisible! Completely missing! THAT'S the real reason for the map "markers". Basically, it looks like what they tried to do - and what they showed us in the video previews - just isn't possible on todays hardware (And I've got a fairly modern system; I bought the video crd 3 weeks ago for oblivion). The problem is, they seem to be guilty of what a lot of game makers do these days - showing impossibly beautiful screeen shots to capture our interest, only to present us with a downgraded actual game experience later on (Oh yeah - whatever happenedto the shadows??? Check the first dungeon to see what I mean!!) Don;t let my review put you off. It's stilla GREAT game any ROG lover must have. But for god's sake guys, stop cheating us in the previews with graphcis that don;t match the final product. (SOny did this with PS2, AOE 3 did this, and so did many others. WOnder what gothic 3 will REALLY look like compared to it's beautyiful screenshots?) Expand
    Mar 25, 2006
    Brilliant! The landscapes are stunning. It does for gaming what Lord of the Rings ddid for films.
  80. EricW.
    Mar 26, 2006
    More than a video game, it is an alternate world to lose yourself in. Worth the price of the game just for the books and lore in the game, and that is just one small part of the whole.
  81. JamesD.
    Mar 27, 2006
    Morrowind was one of my favorite games... Oblivion improves on it in every single way exept one! The awsome leveling system from Morrowind returns. Alchemy is a joy to perform. I have a top of the line gaming PC, and I would say it is absolutely the best looking game ever, the Oblivion Gates are the best effect I've seen in a game. The fighting system is more fun than oblivion, and Morrowind was one of my favorite games... Oblivion improves on it in every single way exept one! The awsome leveling system from Morrowind returns. Alchemy is a joy to perform. I have a top of the line gaming PC, and I would say it is absolutely the best looking game ever, the Oblivion Gates are the best effect I've seen in a game. The fighting system is more fun than oblivion, and magic is lots of fun. The new journaling system makes figuring out what to do on a quest after a long break easy. No complaints except: 9 instead of 10 because the menu system is perhaps the worst menu system ever on a Windows XP game. At level 20 you have 50 spells to cast, but you have to scroll through them 7 at a time with only 8 hot keys. Swapping dagger for a bow is tedious (my hot keys are used up for magic already). Basically, the menu interface of Oblivion is terrible, but at least the game pauses while you suffer thru the 1980's console reject screens. The interface is so bad I would have given the game a 5 my first couple days playing... but I've gotten used to it. Expand
  82. AaronF.
    Mar 28, 2006
    It brings even the most expensive machines to their knees, requires a bit of tweaking to look its best, and isn't without a few balancing issues. But the beauty and immersion that it provides is unequaled in video games. Hands down the best looking game I have ever experienced. And with a healthy mod community busy balancing and improving the game, it will only get better in time. It brings even the most expensive machines to their knees, requires a bit of tweaking to look its best, and isn't without a few balancing issues. But the beauty and immersion that it provides is unequaled in video games. Hands down the best looking game I have ever experienced. And with a healthy mod community busy balancing and improving the game, it will only get better in time. Definitely worth it. Expand
  83. Keith
    Mar 30, 2006
    This game was awesome - so realistic - best RPG in years.
  84. CHRC.
    Apr 10, 2006
    Intelligent, epic and just down right fun. Looks great, sounds great. Oblivion gives you a sandbox world to do basically whatever you like.
  85. MatthieuR.
    Apr 14, 2006
    Do you remember what the biggest complaint was about Morrowind? Yep, that's right, everyone whined about how the game was "broken" because once you reached a certain level, you could kill anything in one hit. Well, they fixed that in Oblivion, and now everyone is whining about the fact that characters challenge you no matter what your level is... This is a great game, and if you Do you remember what the biggest complaint was about Morrowind? Yep, that's right, everyone whined about how the game was "broken" because once you reached a certain level, you could kill anything in one hit. Well, they fixed that in Oblivion, and now everyone is whining about the fact that characters challenge you no matter what your level is... This is a great game, and if you don't like the leveling of difficulty, you can always use cheats :) Expand
  86. MichaelL.
    Apr 20, 2006
    Oblivion Elder Scrolls is the best RPG to date. It is brilliant but it is not the next-gen RPG we were expecting. Graphics are superb but once again I think that screenshots were slightly misleading and the graphics were not as good as expected. Don't get me wrong I love this game and have not been able to stop playing it. You never get bored as the game provides so much freedom, so Oblivion Elder Scrolls is the best RPG to date. It is brilliant but it is not the next-gen RPG we were expecting. Graphics are superb but once again I think that screenshots were slightly misleading and the graphics were not as good as expected. Don't get me wrong I love this game and have not been able to stop playing it. You never get bored as the game provides so much freedom, so much so that it's actually overwhelming. There are irritating bugs and glitches in the game e.g. finding the mouse arrow to "close" lock picking, but they aren't enough of a problem to put the game down. Oblivion: Elder Scrolls has set a higher standard for RPG's and games of the future and I think that Bethesda has done a great job! Expand
  87. NickK.
    Apr 21, 2006
    I have been playing this game for "only" 30 hours so far and have only seen a small part of the game, but it is one of the best games I've ever played. I would have completed 3 games in this time and I'm still on the first part of the main quest so Oblivion is fantastic value for money. I have a relatively low end graphics card (Radeon X1300) but the frame rate is fine even with I have been playing this game for "only" 30 hours so far and have only seen a small part of the game, but it is one of the best games I've ever played. I would have completed 3 games in this time and I'm still on the first part of the main quest so Oblivion is fantastic value for money. I have a relatively low end graphics card (Radeon X1300) but the frame rate is fine even with HDR and other effects turned on. There are hundreds of user created add-ons already available on gamespot.com and other game sites which expand the game and improve the graphics even further and add extra items to find. The only bad thing about the game is the very occasional crashes after playing for a long time, but the game autosaves every time you go to a new location so I've only ever had to repeat a few minutes worth of gameplay. Hopefully a patch to fix this will be available soon. Otherwise I would highly recommend this game, even for people like me that have never played an RPG before. Expand
  88. DeathKnight
    Apr 2, 2006
    I hated morrowind but this game is AWESOME. I would have given it a 10 but the graphics engine sucks(at least for me. I have 6600GT). I can run farcry with all settings high and game runs extremely smooth but even with all settings set to minimum oblivion still stutters. Other than that the game is perfact a must have rpg fans.
  89. JordanM.
    May 26, 2006
    This game is top-notch in its immersion and inter-personal depth. Unfortunately, it suffers from mayn quality-of-life issues and combat which starts as thrilling but quickly becomes stale as you become accustomed to it. What should have been official patches have instead been provided by the mod community, which is thankfully well-supported by Bethesda's development tools. One can This game is top-notch in its immersion and inter-personal depth. Unfortunately, it suffers from mayn quality-of-life issues and combat which starts as thrilling but quickly becomes stale as you become accustomed to it. What should have been official patches have instead been provided by the mod community, which is thankfully well-supported by Bethesda's development tools. One can tell, on a low-end machine, that the visuals weren't designed to be scaled down from the ideal. Roughly speaking, the graphics settings are Very High, High, and Off (not Low... Off), and this could put off people who are low on processor speed, RAM, or video card power. In the end, this game will captivate you utterly with its charms for a week or so, bringing joys you have never before experienced or perhaps even thought possible. Then, you'll likely peter out and rarely play it ever again. But that first week is ever-so-sweet, and I still recommend it. Expand
  90. SeanK.
    May 7, 2006
    Even ignoring all of the stunning production and stultifyingly overwhelimg creativity involved in crafting a true fantasy, which Oblivion is, the game still impressess by having the things that make RPGs fun for me: Building your character is a joy, playing with different classes is totally unigue, but equaly enticing, and the brilliant levelled world means that EVERY mission is a Even ignoring all of the stunning production and stultifyingly overwhelimg creativity involved in crafting a true fantasy, which Oblivion is, the game still impressess by having the things that make RPGs fun for me: Building your character is a joy, playing with different classes is totally unigue, but equaly enticing, and the brilliant levelled world means that EVERY mission is a challenge. The strange criticism about everything being too easy is bizzarre because there is a difficulty slide in the menu that gives you control over how hard the levelled enemies are. Frankly, I had fun in every mission of the game that I could find. It deserves the ten I'm giving it. Expand
  91. GregE.
    Jun 6, 2006
    One of the best RPGs in years. Stunning landscapes, detailed indoor scenes, decent AI, and a great story make this a great game. While not perfect, it is a close as a RPG has yet come.
  92. LeeT.
    Jul 10, 2006
    A free-form non-linear game that offers so many choices of adventuring and so many options to do the quests. I was impressed with the challenge it provided and the graphics were superb. My only complaint is with the levelling system, being too slow and it takes a long time to level up. Plus some of the monsters in the game level up with you or 3-4 levels above you making this one of the A free-form non-linear game that offers so many choices of adventuring and so many options to do the quests. I was impressed with the challenge it provided and the graphics were superb. My only complaint is with the levelling system, being too slow and it takes a long time to level up. Plus some of the monsters in the game level up with you or 3-4 levels above you making this one of the hardest games to play for non-experienced users. The storyline, the content, the extras, all account for a very remarkable game. Expand
  93. DarkBrotherhood
    Jul 6, 2006
    Most immersive gaming experience ever. How many other games can boast 80 - 100+ hours of playability?
  94. JakeL.
    Sep 4, 2006
    fantastic. i could play it for hours.. one of the best games I have ever played.
  95. misteritisa
    Jan 13, 2007
    When Morrowind came out no one would've care.But when this one came out,every eyes envied this game.Seriously who would've thought a game will be this BIG,BEAUTIFUL,and still it was not complete(user can add mod they like to the game).This one for sure is one masterpiece.People who compare this game to Dark Messiah is an absolute retard.
  96. ChuckB.
    May 3, 2007
    The deepest and most rewarding game I have ever played.
  97. RenanK.
    Jun 4, 2007
    The best gamming experience i ever had !! Looks like you are in another world of freedom and fantasy without all the bureaucracy of normal life. Unfornately there are some people lower rating it because of morrowind, folks, please, dont compare this game to morrowind, rate this as a SINGLE game, or at least, if you compare and give it a low rating, i expect that you wont give a higher The best gamming experience i ever had !! Looks like you are in another world of freedom and fantasy without all the bureaucracy of normal life. Unfornately there are some people lower rating it because of morrowind, folks, please, dont compare this game to morrowind, rate this as a SINGLE game, or at least, if you compare and give it a low rating, i expect that you wont give a higher than 2 rating to any another game in world. Expand
  98. DanielM.
    Jun 6, 2007
    A fine follow to morrowind. Those who expected the same experience from oblivion that they got from morrowind were expecting the wrong thing. Both games have their strong points. And both games deliver.
  99. AnonymousMC
    Jun 8, 2007
    After the truly outstanding Morrowind, I thought that nothing could possibly top it, but nevertheless anticipated Oblivion so much that the it was first thing I bought after an Xbox 360. After a mere 20 hours, I was hooked, and upon returning to Morrowind it just wasn't the same anymore - it couldn't compare. This is a complete and utter masterpeice, not to be missed - and forAfter the truly outstanding Morrowind, I thought that nothing could possibly top it, but nevertheless anticipated Oblivion so much that the it was first thing I bought after an Xbox 360. After a mere 20 hours, I was hooked, and upon returning to Morrowind it just wasn't the same anymore - it couldn't compare. This is a complete and utter masterpeice, not to be missed - and for some perspective, this is the first videogame I've ever rated a 10 in my life - and I'm a hardcore gamer! Expand
  100. StrikingJ.
    Jun 9, 2007
    You people are fools complaining about difficulty. Try turning it down if you are a noob. It has a freakin' scroll bar for it under gameplay options. This game deserves a 10, none less. I would love to see this game in DirectX 10.

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.