The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PC

8.0

1. Nov 21, 2011
    The world of Oblivion is a seemingly live one. Mountains, caves, and a copious amount of missions would keep anyone busy for hours on end. The sheer beauty of this game is sometimes overshadowed by repetitive voice acting and boring level design; there is no denying the brilliance that comes from looking at the night sky while Jeremy Soule's soundtrack plays in your headphones.
  2. Nov 30, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is what an RPG should be - compelling story plot, tons of side quest and a large open world to explore. The automatic leveling system leaves something to be desired. But then again, the more you use certain skills, the better you should get at those skills. The graphics leave something to be desired, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  3. Sep 9, 2012
    Amazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded withAmazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded with mods. Talking about mods, find some you like from the tons available and that will make you play it for an entire year without repetition. Good deal indeed. Expand
  4. May 24, 2014
    Really awesome,unique RPG game with interesting stories and quests.
    It has great story,graphics,this game can kep you entertained for many many hours.
    And of course,the Expansions,and the moddability launches the game in the sky!
  5. Nov 23, 2011
    I am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, seriousI am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, serious gamers, posers, people posing to be a poser, kids and beginners, 10/10 Expand
  6. EthanKunz
    Jul 28, 2009
    This is probably the best game I've ever played, and I've played them all. While it has some minor flaws in npcs, it makes up for this in almost every other way. What really added to the game for me were the mods that hardcore gamers have been coming up with. I'm still playing it!
  7. LeviA.
    Sep 22, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played. Ignore the whiny little kids with poor grammar skills that rated it low. They probably played it for about 20 minutes before stopping. The game may also require somewhat of an imagination too play. I have had this game for 4 years and still haven't completed the main quest and I still play it once every week. It is the best game ever made.
  8. NikitaG
    Jun 19, 2009
    This game is arguably the best game I have ever played in my life. The graphics are amazing, there are many revolutionary features, such as the voice overs, but the thing that really won me over was the depth. I bought this game in 2006, and I still play it today. Unmodded, the game has so much content its just mind blowing, and with along with mods, this game could easily last you This game is arguably the best game I have ever played in my life. The graphics are amazing, there are many revolutionary features, such as the voice overs, but the thing that really won me over was the depth. I bought this game in 2006, and I still play it today. Unmodded, the game has so much content its just mind blowing, and with along with mods, this game could easily last you several years. I have noticed that most people either love this game, or hate it. Oblivion's nonlinear and lack of 'in your face' action makes it boring for some people. But you owe it to yourself, give it a try if you have not. Expand
  9. DavidM
    Jun 23, 2009
    Unmodded the game became tedious with the scaling levling system and I quickly put it down. Months later I modded out the scaling and over 100 hours of play.
  10. MikeM
    Jul 6, 2009
    Amazing game. In order to fully appreciate it though you must have the game for the PC. The mod community is enormous and some mod creators are awesomely talented. 10 out of 10.
  11. EE
    Nov 18, 2009
    Oblivion is an amazing game that lives up to the expectations set down by bethesda's other games such as morrowind and Fallout 3. Amazing graphics, wonderful performance, and hours of great fun. And when you finish with the game, just install a few mods and it is new again! Completely worth $50.
  12. StephenS.
    Dec 9, 2009
    I can honestly say that this is my favorite game possibly created. Amazing graphics and game play, so many possibilities of character creation and everything is reflected on what you do in the game play world. If this was Co-op there would be no other game that could compete with this...
  13. RadekK
    Dec 20, 2009
    A little easier and simpler than Morrowind, but I gave 10. I hope that next Elder Scrolls V will be even better.
  14. BrandonL
    Jan 17, 2010
    The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in the game, well just about..... The combat system is very simple, you can learn new melee moves and spells are a breeze to use. Character customization is very large and creating your own class is a very interesting thing to use. Basically the sky is the limit in this game. Make your own spells and weapons with special abilites. Monsters play very much like you and everything they wear u can take which i really dig that. Quests are very very deep and not just a simple kill this and kill that. the AI plays very well and play similar to you. There is no shortage of things to do. I mean you can beat the game and hundreds and hundreds of quests. Difficulty can be adjusted. The game is user friendly and isn't difficult at all. Works perfectly on a console. It plays unlike any other RPG out there right now, besides fallout of course. PEOPLE WHO GIVE THIS GAME A 0/10 REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES A GOOD RPG A GOOD RPG!!! this game is amazing, graphics, voice acting, enviroment, combat system are all perfected and are amazing. Expand
  15. Oct 28, 2010
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros
    -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a snow-peaked mountain far off in the distance. You can go to the top of this mountain. Along the way you may run into a wolf, an ogre, or a friendly Orc living in a well appointed manner.

-The awesome questing system. There are literally hundreds of hours of quests to be found here, all interesting. Whether it's climbing the ranks in the sinister Dark Brotherhood, fighting Mehrunes Dagon, or sorting out a crooked merchant you will be entertained for hours.

-Finally, the graphics and gameplay were amazing for its time. They still look very good unmodded, but modded (specifically with Qarl's texture pack) it looks absolutely amazing. The gameplay is fun, the swordplay is simple but not repetitive, and the magic is entertaining.

Theres are several negatives to this, none of which prevent it from being a 10, but still are worth being mentioned.

-Voice actors. They used (for some obtuse reason) a very small group of voice actors. The voices do become repetitive.

-Dialog system is iffy. Kind of strange

Overall an excellent game. Highly recommend the PC version to anyone who enjoys RPGs or who wants to try something other than Call of Duty.
  16. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for beingThis is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for being one of the best role-playing games in years, but the immersive and long-lasting experience it provided wasn't for everyone. Oblivion is hands-down better, so much so that even those who'd normally have no interest in a role-playing game should find it hard to resist getting swept up in this big, beautiful, meticulously crafted world. Expand
  17. Kronox
    Dec 1, 2009
    Not even gonna speak long on this game, its virtues are obvious. This is an instant classic and a must own on whatever platform you play. Anyone who thinks this is a bad game simply hasn't a clue as to what a good game is and their review is worthless.
  18. Jul 2, 2011
    Where to begin, Oblivion is one of the best games ever created. The joy of exploring a huge open fantasy world is just delicious indeed. Plus Oblivion is very accessible for all you "dumbed-down" types. Be sure to download the essential mods (50+ of those, 4 being my mods, hehe) to create the most awesome open-world RPG ever. Another must play. Don't talk to me about RPGs until you play this.
  19. Jul 5, 2011
    Well what can i say that everyone hasn't Morrowind (Oblivion) is One of the most complex games out there it may be outdated on Graphics but it surpasses most if not all other Role Playing Games on the market when it comes to a big world with almost endless quests and more gear then you can think of. Great game i cant wait until Skyrim comes out to set the new Standard on Role Playing Games.
  20. Aug 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods andThis is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods and reinstalled it played perfectly so i think it was the mods that were screwing it up (which makes me sad because there's a plethora of really cool mods for this game too). So far in playing the un-modded and officially patched game I've run across no bugs whatsoever so I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. Expand
  21. Jul 9, 2012
    My personal favourite... The best game I've ever played and I still play... Amazing felling and great gameplay despite the few bugs and glitches in it. After having played more than 100 houres of the game I still have things to do... A great advantage is also the MODING community which adds new cool stuf even now!! Simply AMAZING!!
  22. Mar 17, 2011
    Oblivion is the greatest game I have ever played. The graphics increase the standards for all future games. It will be a long time till any game beats this and that game will probably be Elder Scrolls V.
  23. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever created. Massive world,massive amount of customization,amazing graphics, beautiful soundtrack and touching story makes Oblivion an experience of lifetime. Oblivion improves everything from Morrowind. Get ready to lose your social life!
  24. Jul 30, 2012
    this was best game i loved xbox version ps3 version & pc version i love this game so much no glitches no nothing perfect only thing is if they re did this game i hope they make it with compatible with xbox controller
  25. ChristianS.
    Dec 1, 2007
    The graphics of this game is outstanding. the quests is intense. the bugs bring it down, but the mods stand up for that mistake. this game has many of quests. there is 100s of hours of gameplay and you can roam around and get alot of good items.
  26. May 22, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily toElder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily to the atmosphere, making you feel like part of this enormous world. However majority of those locations I've mentioned are pretty repetitive. A lot of caves and other dungeons look the same. Hence the free-roaming does get boring eventually. The character creation feature however is phenomenal. First of all you get to choose one of 10 races (4 races of humans, 3 races of elves, and then also orcs, argonians and khajiit), each one with its own set of pros and cons. After you've chosen a race you customize the character's appearance, all of their facial features, etc. After that you pick a class. Best idea to perhaps customize your own class, because the way it works is that each class favours a certain set of skills and attributes, meaning you get bonuses to those at the start and they are the ones that would contribute to your levelling up. So getting to choose the attributes yourself is the best. The main story is not bad. It does have its good bits and also some boring bits, but all in all worth playing through at least once. The game has a huge amount of side quests too, as well as 4 different factions, all of which have their own story arcs as well - Fighter's guild, Mages' guild, Thieves' guild and The Dark Brotherhood (aka Assassins' guild). There is a good variety of various armors and weapons. However for the most part the better items only start appearing once you reach a certain level, and the levelling up is rather slow. Nevertheless, due to such a big variety of skills, the game can be played in many different ways - a sturdy paladin, a silent archer, a fierce spellcaster, a poison assassin, a hand-to-hand fighter, etc. However playing as the same character for long does get repetitive, and hence I'd say Oblivion is not one of those games you tend to come back to very quickly after completing it. Overall it's a beautiful and very atmospheric game. It's a consuming new world. That's what it is. When you play Oblivion, you find yourself feeling like you're part of it. Expand
  27. Oct 18, 2012
    The game is nice to play, but you don't really feel that you have progressed when you level up, because enemies level up as well. Loot and rewards are leveled as well, so you may have to wait till you're at a greater level before starting some quests in order to better equipment. The leveling system ruins this otherwise beautiful game.
  28. Dec 9, 2011
    A FREEEEKEN AWESOME GAME! I still play it now and it still brings fun...................................................................................................................................................................................................
  29. Oct 5, 2012
    The advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled withThe advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled with difficulty spikes at all. Rather you will need to bump up the game difficulty as you progress to a demi-god mastering all skill areas. Except for superficial graphics, EVERYTHING in Oblivion is better and more fun than Skyrim. Especially the guild quests, but also such things as the NPC's despite the ridculous encounter interface and the use of only 5 voice actors. Yet the core reason it is MUCH better, is that the player can build their character as they like and can master all fields with no penalty. Crafting and magic in this game is far more potent, interesting and worthwhile than in Skyrim. The Elven Ruins have a far better mood than the Dwarven ones. When you consider how perfect the keybingings and the UI are in this game to how poor they are in Skyrim its clear that it is Oblivion, not Morrowind that marks the highpoint of Bethesda fantasy RPG design. Before they start anything else the team owes it to their fans to spend 12 months making a massive patch to bring all that fails so bad in Skyrim back up to the level they had yet lost with Oblivion. Expand
  30. DerekL
    Aug 12, 2008
    This gets 9.5 from me. It's an insanely good game, it lets a complete idiot modify the game making new levels, items, spells, etc. The first month or two is fun, adding Shivering Isles gives it about another 2 weeks to 1 month, small mods give about 35 more hours, and large mods give it another week or two (or three), and mods you make get about another couple hours to 3 weeks. But This gets 9.5 from me. It's an insanely good game, it lets a complete idiot modify the game making new levels, items, spells, etc. The first month or two is fun, adding Shivering Isles gives it about another 2 weeks to 1 month, small mods give about 35 more hours, and large mods give it another week or two (or three), and mods you make get about another couple hours to 3 weeks. But after that we get a repetitive game full of boring side quests and dungeons you've already searched. However, if you play a different game for a while Oblivion regains all 100% playability. Expand
  31. TallDude
    Dec 21, 2007
    Great open ended RPG game, I highly recommend it. Tons of mods available to make the game even better.
  32. Dec 26, 2010
    Would've been way better had I not played Fallout 3 first, but this is only getting a slightly above average score since you have to get it on pc and get mods to fix the glaring gameplay problems like psychic guards, a retarded leveling system, and so on.
  33. Jan 5, 2013
    Oblivion is no doubt an excellent game. My review might be a bit judgement-clouded because I've played Skyrim and waited too long to do a review on this game. On one hand, the storytelling, character development, spells and variety of weapons/skills/potions are all done with brilliance. On the other hand, some parts of the game seem insanely rushed and unpolished. The caves are copy andOblivion is no doubt an excellent game. My review might be a bit judgement-clouded because I've played Skyrim and waited too long to do a review on this game. On one hand, the storytelling, character development, spells and variety of weapons/skills/potions are all done with brilliance. On the other hand, some parts of the game seem insanely rushed and unpolished. The caves are copy and pastes. The time-freezing when talking to NPC's is very stupid and sucks away the atmosphere. The level up system is pretty bad, but tolerable... Somewhat. Some NPC's will change the pitch of their voice out of nowhere. The sneaking is done well, but can be very unpredictable and frustrating because you can still be detected no matter how quiet or far away you were. No diagonal running, ugh. The dialogue between NPC's is as bad as a Tommy Wiseau movie. Some potions found in the game have hardly any reason to exist, because potions like "Restore 1 Luck Point" is beyond trivial. Overall, the game is great, but the many glitches and laziness of the game is there too. Expand
  34. May 16, 2013
    The best game of 2006 when fully patched! Huge and beautiful world of Syrodyl can give you an adventure you won't forget! Sure it has it's downside lack of memorable characters(except maybe Martin voiced by Sean Bean), and most missions are boring (go bring me...).
  35. Sep 6, 2014
    Finally I'm looking into one of the best PC RPGs next to Diablo II, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion! And let me just say, I'm not disappointed. Before I dove into my painfully long review, I want to get something clear: This is a review of the vanilla game, as in how the people at Bethesda intended it to be played. So no mods whatsoever, just pure Oblivion.
    Oblivion came out almost 8 1/2
    Oblivion came out almost 8 1/2 yars ago, but I just picked it up 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've logged in over 140 hours into the game, playing it nonstop. The game is just WAAAY to fun to be overlooked. It is possibly the greatest game I've ever played.
    You start out Oblivion as a prisoner. Based on what I'm told from other people, this is Elder Scrolls tradition. And somehow you get tied up in this plot with a demonic cult trying to kill the Emperor of Tamriel opening the gates of Oblivion to what I can only assume is hell. But apparently the Emperor has a bastard son and he's the only one who can saved the doomed world from Oblivion. And really you're just a side character standing there watching all the action unfold and even though you're crowned champion of Cyrodiil, really you're just a side character. So it's not that appealing. On the more positive side of things. . .
    One of the most amazing things about Oblivion is the system it uses called radiant AI. It gives each NPC a schedule; they'll wake up, eat their breakfast, go to work, go to the pub, or even, on occasions travel to another city. They'll also talk to one another, usually discussing the lastest news or how much they hate mudcrabs. And all of this adds to the living-breathing world factor of Oblivion, it's immersive and fun.
    Another thing that totally stunned me about Oblivion was the environment of Cyrodiil; it is gorgeous. Each part of the map is varied and different; there are the grasslands of the Imperial City, to the snowy mounntains of Bruma, to the swampy lowlands of Leyawiin and so on. Nearly 400 locations ranging from forts to Ayleid Ruins make the world feel much bigger than 16 square miles, and they immerse you, once again, adding to the living, breathing world factor.
    I also really enjoyed the quests as well. The main quest was good, but the side quests and factional quests are really what took the cake for me. I'll never forget when I killed 5 people at a party, and they had no clue I was the killer. Or how about that time I stole a FREAKING Elder Scroll for the Gray Fox? Awesome. Or my personal favorite, doing some dirty work for Sanguine, and stripping the Countess and her dinner guests down to their panties? There are plenty of colorful NPCs who will give you quests like this.
    Oblivion also features a fast-travel system, allowing you to fast travel to any location you had previously discovered, which I personally like since it cuts out all that unnecessary walkingeven though you've already discoveredthe place and it's kind of pointless having to walk 3 miles just to get there. Select characters and enemies level up with you, in my opinion that's a fascinating concept becasue it sucks all the fun out of the game if you hit level 50 and become GOD. Voice talent in Oblivion is great as well. They use some of the famous actor from movies like Terence Stamp (Superman) and Patrick Stewart (Star Trek). There are alot of cheesy lines, but it's a good and funny kind of cheesy, so I let it slide. Like in any RPG, you have skills and you level up, obviously. If there's one thing bad I can say about Oblivion, is that I've encountered a few bugs. PCs aren't supposed to have that big a problem with bugs as consoles. . .oh dear, then just think about how much worse it'll be on Xbox 360.
    So that's my review. As you can see, I have super positive feelings on Oblivion. I'm dying to play Morrowind and Skyrim (it's coming in the mail tomorrow) and all the DLC and expansions, and see if they're just as good if not better than Oblivion. But for right now, me and my level 35 Imperial Assassin are going to go have some fun with the Mages Guild.
    P.S. I'm sorry if I mispelled anything, I turned off the spell check.
  36. hcarter
    Jun 9, 2006
    I haven't played an RPG this good since the Baldur's Gate series. The endless play is amazing, let alone the great main quest arc. The amount of variation you can play in this game is just amazing. The graphics are wonderful. Back when CIV4 came out I had upgraded my video card--so I was easily able to play Oblivion with no modifications whatsoever.
    There are a few glitches
    There are a few glitches here and there--but nothing too major---the first beta patch is sincerely a take or leave install--which means the version you get in your box was tested well. Still, I'm eager to see what the full exp. patch will entail when it's released. The only thing that would earn a 10 from me is multi-player--same party capabilities like Baldurs Gate. Otherwise, bravo to Bethesda--well done.
  37. TristanEdge
    Jul 5, 2006
    One of the greatest games I have ever played, and I'm not overreacting; I've played plenty of RPGs (and games in general). Graphics are simply beautiful - you can stand on a mountain overlooking a town and see a huge Imperial city in the distance. Gameplay was varied and enjoyable - several styles of combat, plenty of character interaction, some fun mini-games, and a whole hostOne of the greatest games I have ever played, and I'm not overreacting; I've played plenty of RPGs (and games in general). Graphics are simply beautiful - you can stand on a mountain overlooking a town and see a huge Imperial city in the distance. Gameplay was varied and enjoyable - several styles of combat, plenty of character interaction, some fun mini-games, and a whole host of back story in the form of books, letters, newspapers, and gossip. The world is pretty damned big - coastlines, rivers and bridges, mountains, forests, towns and cities, hamlets, dungeons, caves, ancient ruins... the map has a nicely spaced out feel to it, it's not too clustered. Each individual dungeon area seems different with its own traps, monsters, scenary etc... Realistic physics were a great addition - seeing an enemy fall down a cliff can be very satisfying. Level scaling was well implemented, as your enemy's levels match your own. The various addons that Bethesda are releasing look to make this game very enjoyable for a very long time to come! You MUST buy this game!! Expand
  38. KevinB
    Oct 16, 2006
    ok...i got a bone to pick with some of you..."OMG IT GOT TO HARD!" First of all there is a skill setting in the options menu...if it gets to hard, put it down a tad...and if its all the way down and you're still getting your butt kicked, well then you just suck, because the very first fight i got in i owned some poor sap in red robes with my fists alone...so complaining about it beingok...i got a bone to pick with some of you..."OMG IT GOT TO HARD!" First of all there is a skill setting in the options menu...if it gets to hard, put it down a tad...and if its all the way down and you're still getting your butt kicked, well then you just suck, because the very first fight i got in i owned some poor sap in red robes with my fists alone...so complaining about it being too hard is not allowed...and other people who say its not revolutionary...it's THE biggest game world created to date...not to mention the graphics...have you seen the graphics in alot of games today? they suck...perfect example: the new Scarface game...ive seen better graphics on the playstation 1...instead of enjoying the game for WHAT IT IS, most of you people immediately look for all the flaws...no game is perfect, quit complaining and enjoy the damn game...thats what its for!!! Expand
  39. misteritisa
    Jan 13, 2007
    When Morrowind came out no one would've care.But when this one came out,every eyes envied this game.Seriously who would've thought a game will be this BIG,BEAUTIFUL,and still it was not complete(user can add mod they like to the game).This one for sure is one masterpiece.People who compare this game to Dark Messiah is an absolute retard.
  40. AnonymousMC
    Jun 8, 2007
    After the truly outstanding Morrowind, I thought that nothing could possibly top it, but nevertheless anticipated Oblivion so much that the it was first thing I bought after an Xbox 360. After a mere 20 hours, I was hooked, and upon returning to Morrowind it just wasn't the same anymore - it couldn't compare. This is a complete and utter masterpeice, not to be missed - and forAfter the truly outstanding Morrowind, I thought that nothing could possibly top it, but nevertheless anticipated Oblivion so much that the it was first thing I bought after an Xbox 360. After a mere 20 hours, I was hooked, and upon returning to Morrowind it just wasn't the same anymore - it couldn't compare. This is a complete and utter masterpeice, not to be missed - and for some perspective, this is the first videogame I've ever rated a 10 in my life - and I'm a hardcore gamer! Expand
  41. AnonymousMC
    Jun 25, 2007
    This Game is incredible the best and most addictive RPG or game i've ever played.I've played over 630 hours of it. The choices are endless, thousands of items, weapons, armor, and spells and the good physics engine make the possiblilties endless. no two characters will be the same. . the only problems are the glitches but thats fixed eaily with the free patches atThis Game is incredible the best and most addictive RPG or game i've ever played.I've played over 630 hours of it. The choices are endless, thousands of items, weapons, armor, and spells and the good physics engine make the possiblilties endless. no two characters will be the same. . the only problems are the glitches but thats fixed eaily with the free patches at elderscrolls.com. and all the plugins and expansions left me playing this game for months. It's pure gaming freedom. 11 out of 10 in my opinion. Expand
  42. chrisrhodes
    Jul 10, 2007
    i lvoe the way thestory line is set up in this gam... it bring u into the game and makes u want to keep playing... and with the exspanchion packs being sold it keep growing....there always soemthing to do.... but if u are looking for a good RPG game this is a must....

~Ðalis~
  43. AnonymousMC
    Apr 10, 2008
    Dispite all the criticisms of people who doesn't understand the TRUE idea of this game, people, this game is one of the best(and more creaitive) game ever made so far in the history of gaming. Deep and immersive RPG/FPS style just makes you want to come back for more and more... Beats the crap out of Halo series with dumb mindless shooting gameplay. No doubt, Trust me, Buy this game,Dispite all the criticisms of people who doesn't understand the TRUE idea of this game, people, this game is one of the best(and more creaitive) game ever made so far in the history of gaming. Deep and immersive RPG/FPS style just makes you want to come back for more and more... Beats the crap out of Halo series with dumb mindless shooting gameplay. No doubt, Trust me, Buy this game, it worth every penny of the cost. And your pretty much set as a gamer. Expand
  44. LeonardoFerreira
    Oct 16, 2008
    Oblivion is from FAR the best rpg game ive ever played on my whole life ,its all about the freedom;you can either follow the main quest or just say "F*CK OFF" main quest and go and explore the world ,doing LOTS and LOTS of side-quests wich are as good or even better than the main quest ,and are DEFINITELY bigger than the main quest.Also ,there are LOTS of mods wich gives like 2 months orOblivion is from FAR the best rpg game ive ever played on my whole life ,its all about the freedom;you can either follow the main quest or just say "F*CK OFF" main quest and go and explore the world ,doing LOTS and LOTS of side-quests wich are as good or even better than the main quest ,and are DEFINITELY bigger than the main quest.Also ,there are LOTS of mods wich gives like 2 months or more of more gameplay.PLUS ,the construction set (cs) wich comes with the game is absolutely amazing ,it lets completely RETARDS do whole new houses/castles/dungeons/quests/items/etc Expand
  45. AnonymousMC
    Nov 2, 2008
    One of the best RPGs ever made if not the best. Hands down the best RPG for the 360 and i have no idea why this is not the number 1 game for it. It has countless hours of gameplay, though you can beat it in a very short time if you just do the main quest. This is the game that sold the 360 for me, if it wasnt for this I probably wouldnt have a 360 right now.
  46. AnonymousMC
    Jan 30, 2009
    I rofled when I read the comment and it said whats the point of buying horse. Well the point of buying horse is that u can fastly travel in wilderness where u cant fast travel...but I do admit that there could be more voice actors. But really someone really play game because it has cool voice actors?
  47. AnonymousMC
    Jul 29, 2009
    Good game, great gameplay, nice quest, the expansions are cool (shirvering isles) you get your moneys worth of gameplay (around maybe 250+ hours if u do every quest) but the game isnt perfect, i played it un patached and un modded and even though it rain fairly, i felt the graphics werent as good as i could get them to be (even though i have a lower end dell, i can get insanly goodGood game, great gameplay, nice quest, the expansions are cool (shirvering isles) you get your moneys worth of gameplay (around maybe 250+ hours if u do every quest) but the game isnt perfect, i played it un patached and un modded and even though it rain fairly, i felt the graphics werent as good as i could get them to be (even though i have a lower end dell, i can get insanly good graphics in games like call of duty, and left 4 dead etc) sometimes if i opened it through steam it would close to my desktop wich would be annoying when im exploring a cave because i would need to start over. Also not enough voice actors, one time when i was in cloud ruler temple i heard to charcters with the same voice actor have a conversation. Leveling system can get annoying aswell.
    the quest in the game are good, only memerable ones are the ones such as the main quest line, the dark brotherhood questline (which i play on every charcter i make because of how fun it is) have to admit though some enimes arent real creative, and i think bethsidia gave up too quickly (only one real expansion pack, knights of nine is really more of a bunch of addons on a CD with OBLVION stamped on the cover) campared to a fully expanded Fallout 3, not as good but is still a good game i would pick it up on steam as its at a fair price there.
  48. RC
    Aug 1, 2009
    This is a great game. Hell I don;t even need to mod it in order to have a good time. Ive played this game exactly 48 times over and each time was fun. The graphics are a little outdated now, but it's still not bad for today's generation. The quest are fun, but are lacking meaning, you're mostly doing it for money so you can buy new stuff. Some of the quest are just not This is a great game. Hell I don;t even need to mod it in order to have a good time. Ive played this game exactly 48 times over and each time was fun. The graphics are a little outdated now, but it's still not bad for today's generation. The quest are fun, but are lacking meaning, you're mostly doing it for money so you can buy new stuff. Some of the quest are just not interesting. The AI is great (when it came out) today it's ok, considering this was made in 2005. Overall though the game is long and you have a massive modding community to help keep it fresh all in all this game is great and can't wait for the next elder scrolls. Expand
  49. AnonymousMC
    Sep 5, 2009
    1. To compare it to Fallout 3, unless you really would rather just go over a repeating landscape for a few hours and kill some enlarged animals along the way, this game has more content then any of you can make up. The DLC are broken, buggy and empty, quests arent really anything worth speaking of, and there's only about 7 of them (side quests) so that should explain itself. The main1. To compare it to Fallout 3, unless you really would rather just go over a repeating landscape for a few hours and kill some enlarged animals along the way, this game has more content then any of you can make up. The DLC are broken, buggy and empty, quests arent really anything worth speaking of, and there's only about 7 of them (side quests) so that should explain itself. The main quest had it's points, that's all that game has going for it unless you play it for the guts. 2. To Morrowind fans - Oblivion is VERY sorry for being user friendly. You guys are some of the most dogmatic idiots I've ever read of. 3. Leveling system - Propose a better one, don't just complain. There are plenty of other options for it if you play on PC and are willing to use mods. 4. Combat - Same as above. It's not great, but there ARE many ways you can make it fitting to you. 5. Quests - Wow. Show me an RPG that isn't just "go get this item, kill this group/person, investigate this/that, clear out this cave". There isn't one. Rating 10 to balance out some of the ridiculous, unexplained 0's. Will it make a difference, I doubt it. At least no one with any internet-savvy will take you seriously, and just know you're the regular drama loving fool. Expand
  50. JacobL
    Sep 12, 2009
    Oblivion, is simply brilliant game! The plot line is imersive, the gameplay is thrilling, the adventuring is invigerating! When it was first released, most common computer systems had a hard time playing it. But now, with rigs that can play Crysis at 250 FPS, Oblivion's graphics system is merly a tick on ones RAM. I recomend all action/adventure gamers imediatly go to there local Oblivion, is simply brilliant game! The plot line is imersive, the gameplay is thrilling, the adventuring is invigerating! When it was first released, most common computer systems had a hard time playing it. But now, with rigs that can play Crysis at 250 FPS, Oblivion's graphics system is merly a tick on ones RAM. I recomend all action/adventure gamers imediatly go to there local game store and pick up a copy! Bravo Bethesda for creating such a wonderful game! Expand
  51. HenryS
    Sep 12, 2009
    This is the best RPG ever, EVER. I have finished this game on three difirent platforms (360 (RROD), PS3 (YLOD) and PC. And not once have I found this game repetive. Every time I play again I find a new quest a new itme, or I just repeat the same quests just for the hell of it. Those who think this game is Lacklustre obiously have no taste in games or this isn't their genre for in This is the best RPG ever, EVER. I have finished this game on three difirent platforms (360 (RROD), PS3 (YLOD) and PC. And not once have I found this game repetive. Every time I play again I find a new quest a new itme, or I just repeat the same quests just for the hell of it. Those who think this game is Lacklustre obiously have no taste in games or this isn't their genre for in which case shouldn't be reviewing it. Best RPG ever. Expand
  52. AnonymousMC
    Oct 1, 2009
    This game is by far the best RPG to offer to those who love Magick and Enchanting storys alltho the game has somewhat of a short campain the Mods made for this game keep more coming and coming with 100's of quest's in game and countless mods being made by fans Oblivion will never get boring to those who wait and give it a chance I myself have been playing this game for 2 yearsThis game is by far the best RPG to offer to those who love Magick and Enchanting storys alltho the game has somewhat of a short campain the Mods made for this game keep more coming and coming with 100's of quest's in game and countless mods being made by fans Oblivion will never get boring to those who wait and give it a chance I myself have been playing this game for 2 years and am not bored yet instead I love that Bethesda lets modders alter the game as they want in some feeling I think Bethesda gets a chuckle outa seeing how far we can make oblivion go therefor Im giving this game a 10 Expand
  53. AlexM
    Oct 2, 2009
    I playing games since 1993. I played evrything from Tetris to Baldurs Gate. And i have to say this is best game ever made.Best RPG ever made , Best 3D RPG ever made , Best Graphics ever made , Best modding system ever made. Best Lore ever made. Oblivion is just Brilliant , if u didnt liked this game then u have no taste in beautiful things.
  54. PieterD.
    Mar 3, 2006
    this game is going to rock. the graphics are awsome the gameplay is one of the best in years. this is going to be one of the best RPG's in years.
  55. RobC.
    Mar 21, 2006
    The trees in this game look realer than the trees in my backyard.
  56. Wes
    Mar 21, 2006
    awesome game. The world is giant and I am going a good portion of my life playing this game. This game smashes Morrowind to pieces. Completely meets the hype, and my expectations.
  57. Cactus
    Mar 22, 2006
    Aelius makes a good point about the production values with some of the voices, but most of this game is grat and the gameplay is excellent, with massive regions, on-the-fly loading acrosss large maps, and amazingly fun and detailed combat. Even better, it's running fine on my 9800pro with some pretty nice graphics, though certainly not as pretty as say the XBOX 360 version. Aelius makes a good point about the production values with some of the voices, but most of this game is grat and the gameplay is excellent, with massive regions, on-the-fly loading acrosss large maps, and amazingly fun and detailed combat. Even better, it's running fine on my 9800pro with some pretty nice graphics, though certainly not as pretty as say the XBOX 360 version. Definately work a pick up. Expand
  58. TimN.
    Mar 22, 2006
    This looks like one of those games that make a change in game history. Best aspects are the radient AI, physics engine, horse mounts and a cool thief system, other then that the content will let you play for hours, if you do manage to run out you can use the conrstuction set or download other people's mods. If you love RPGs then this is for you.
  59. HarryR.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Excellent rpg. Does everything it promises, looks good, and redefines the rpg genre. Be warned though, you'll lose a lot of time while playing.
  60. Darkside
    Mar 22, 2006
    its so cool it is way cooler then morrowind and that stole alot of my life i can see that this one will steal even more of my liife and i have only played it for a day. Aelius S. has no clue on what he is talking about. this game is exelent in every way and should not be compared to doom 3 which cant be compared to it becuse oblivion is better then that game.
  61. Brian
    Mar 22, 2006
    The only complaint I've had with Oblivion is the texturing at a small distance is very low-quality, which makes you wince. Once you overlook that, however, the game is incredibly gorgeous, the combat is incredibly fun, it's incredibly deep, the music and sound effects (especially the arrow sounds changing depending on what type of surface it hits) are spectacular... incredible The only complaint I've had with Oblivion is the texturing at a small distance is very low-quality, which makes you wince. Once you overlook that, however, the game is incredibly gorgeous, the combat is incredibly fun, it's incredibly deep, the music and sound effects (especially the arrow sounds changing depending on what type of surface it hits) are spectacular... incredible game. Buy it. Expand
  62. Shawn
    Mar 22, 2006
    A very great open world RPG. The best so far =)
  63. JulesP.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Great game just played it for five houres amazing. Sets a new standard for rpg's
  64. DavidM.
    Mar 22, 2006
    I don't like to attack people in these reviews. However Aelius is completely off-base. First of all let me address one of his points: The NPCs do sometimes talk in non-sequitors or change voice pitches depending on topic. 95 percent of the time however, they are great and a HUGE leap forward over Elder Scrolls 3. That's really the only thing in Aelius's review with merit. I don't like to attack people in these reviews. However Aelius is completely off-base. First of all let me address one of his points: The NPCs do sometimes talk in non-sequitors or change voice pitches depending on topic. 95 percent of the time however, they are great and a HUGE leap forward over Elder Scrolls 3. That's really the only thing in Aelius's review with merit. The world is beautiful. The game has an incredible physics engine. Also, they made the combat much more intense and immediate than the wack-a-mole hits of ES3. Other points: What the heck does "cannot scale back like D3" mean? I don't even know what Aelius is talking about. Aelius's point about Doom 3 and Half Life 2 being technically better than this game is purely objective. This game's interiors match up well with Doom 3. There is realistic shadowing and great texture/animation work. Now against Half Life 2, that is an unfair comparison as HL2 has no free-form outdoor areas. A better comparison would be Far Cry and Oblivion holds it's own there as well. There is a 2 mile draw distance in this game and it looks great. The quests are also interesting and varied. There are problems but is this a 6/10 game? Absolutely not, and only a bitter over-hyped maniac would rate it as such. Expand
  65. JamieS.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Oblivion is a great game. If you like RPG's, you HAVE to buy this game. But there are some bad points too. First the good: The world is huge and interesting. The trees, grass, water and geometry are interesting. The menu systems/inventory management works well. I'm looking forward to playing it for a long time. It's a quantum leap graphically over any RPG around currently. Oblivion is a great game. If you like RPG's, you HAVE to buy this game. But there are some bad points too. First the good: The world is huge and interesting. The trees, grass, water and geometry are interesting. The menu systems/inventory management works well. I'm looking forward to playing it for a long time. It's a quantum leap graphically over any RPG around currently. Now the bad: They cheated us. The game-review screenshots you saw are NOT WHAT THE GAME LOOKS LIKE. I have an XFX 7800 GS card. I pumped all the settings up to max, all the view distances up to max. And it still doesn't look like the review screenshots. In the reviews, the world view scales beautifully, textured as far as the eye can see, and grassed and planted too. But in the real game, the only thing you can see in the distance are trees and general geometry. Grass and even ground textures disappear and are replaced by what looks like blurry green muck. ANd you know how they boasted in the video preview about the markers that appear on the map to show you places of interest? Well ,the truth is, they HAD to put them in - because buildings disappear at such a short distance that, looking across river to a hillside where a building is supposed to be (no more than 100 meters away!) --- it's invisible! Completely missing! THAT'S the real reason for the map "markers". Basically, it looks like what they tried to do - and what they showed us in the video previews - just isn't possible on todays hardware (And I've got a fairly modern system; I bought the video crd 3 weeks ago for oblivion). The problem is, they seem to be guilty of what a lot of game makers do these days - showing impossibly beautiful screeen shots to capture our interest, only to present us with a downgraded actual game experience later on (Oh yeah - whatever happenedto the shadows??? Check the first dungeon to see what I mean!!) Don;t let my review put you off. It's stilla GREAT game any ROG lover must have. But for god's sake guys, stop cheating us in the previews with graphcis that don;t match the final product. (SOny did this with PS2, AOE 3 did this, and so did many others. WOnder what gothic 3 will REALLY look like compared to it's beautyiful screenshots?) Expand
  66. DonS.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Excellent game! Beautiful graphics that haven't, so far, caused game performance to suffer, engaging story line, fun combat system and a pretty seamless transition between outdoor areas. I played for nine straight hours after gettijng the game late in the afternoon. Half of the time I was so busy just soaking up the ambience that I'd have to back-track and actually explore and Excellent game! Beautiful graphics that haven't, so far, caused game performance to suffer, engaging story line, fun combat system and a pretty seamless transition between outdoor areas. I played for nine straight hours after gettijng the game late in the afternoon. Half of the time I was so busy just soaking up the ambience that I'd have to back-track and actually explore and interact. If it continues to live up to this early promise, it will sit atop my list of very best games! Expand
  67. HenryT.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I've both PC & XBox360 version and I can tell you the PC version has the better graphics and resolution by far. Other than that a similar gaming experience. I'm just hooked, 1 more day to the weekend...
  68. ShoNuff
    Mar 24, 2006
    Even with the minor sound issue I initially had with the game, this has got to be the foremost role-playing game on the market. I was cautiously optimistic after hearing the Bethesda folks made the main story easier to follow, but after 6 hours of game play, I can tell you it is still as open-ended as ever. I haven
  69. LukasK.
    Mar 24, 2006
    It's look lovely. It's run on slow machine. Oblivion could be the next level of RPG games but the AI is terrible. Sometime enemies don't know about me. Sometime fall into water and can't came back. Sometimes simply kill each other with friendly fire. Another thing. How the soldier in this side of island know that I stole 1 silver plate from the opposite side? Yes there It's look lovely. It's run on slow machine. Oblivion could be the next level of RPG games but the AI is terrible. Sometime enemies don't know about me. Sometime fall into water and can't came back. Sometimes simply kill each other with friendly fire. Another thing. How the soldier in this side of island know that I stole 1 silver plate from the opposite side? Yes there are some bugs but most of these bugs will be removed witch patch. As I hope. Expand
  70. Betawatcher
    Mar 24, 2006
    Excellent game, 12 hours in & haven't even touched the main quest.
  71. JerryN.
    Mar 24, 2006
    This game is amazing. It's been hyped for a long time, and let me tell you, it delivers and then some. The graphics are spectacular. The addition of voice to every bit of dialogue is wonderful. The traveling sytem is great. The quest system is a wonderful improvement over Morrowind. Some of the peopl complain about some seriously rtivial factors. Factors that could only be an issue This game is amazing. It's been hyped for a long time, and let me tell you, it delivers and then some. The graphics are spectacular. The addition of voice to every bit of dialogue is wonderful. The traveling sytem is great. The quest system is a wonderful improvement over Morrowind. Some of the peopl complain about some seriously rtivial factors. Factors that could only be an issue ina game this daring and expansive, as no other has anyhting close to the sheer amount of depth and attention to detail. Even the side quests you'll likely never even find are really well done. The whole thinig just reeks of quality. It runs well on mid range systems, and has very scalable settings. In fact, why are you reading this and not buying/playing Oblivion right now? It's undoubtedly the best RPG ever made. Possibly the best game ever. It's not without it's small flaws, but those are easily dismissed when appreciating this game for what it is. If you can't do that, you are asking way too much and you should go back to playing all the other "perfect" RPGs. Expand
    Mar 25, 2006
    Brilliant! The landscapes are stunning. It does for gaming what Lord of the Rings ddid for films.
  73. MiKE
    Mar 25, 2006
    WOW WOW WOW!! The graphics are stunning, HUGE enivornments to wonder in, crystal clean music, with voices! Excellent game!!!
  74. HoracioP.
    Mar 25, 2006
    Es exelente. Un juego que no tiene desperdicios
  75. BrandonM.
    Mar 26, 2006
    First off " Doom3 and HL2 were both superior games technically speaking. " Aelius I have both D3 and HL2 and the only thing and I mean the only thing I can think of that made one of these titles superior to oblivion was HL2 lip sync, it was much more advanced and the background textures looked more polished but with an engine trying to do as much as it can for the outside environments and First off " Doom3 and HL2 were both superior games technically speaking. " Aelius I have both D3 and HL2 and the only thing and I mean the only thing I can think of that made one of these titles superior to oblivion was HL2 lip sync, it was much more advanced and the background textures looked more polished but with an engine trying to do as much as it can for the outside environments and all ready some long load times on the xbox 360 (yes I did by the pc and have no problems there) there not going to include high res textures for everything but nothing else I could see was superior. Is the game buged? Yes, some problems with quests and the stealing system definatly needs to be changed because how are they going to know that a spoon I stole is in fact stolen when no one saw me do it? Have I heard of other problems, of course but at least most of them are not as severe as Morrowind when it was first released. The only major complaints I have is the removale of the minor skills (you only have major skills to level up on now) and many other skills are now gone, I don't feel that there is any less customization involved for the players as far as items go but it does feel less flexable for players to actually progress them the way that they want. The new way to use the speechcraft skill is indeed ludacrist, I also have a high end pc and the draw distance for the outdoor buildings needs to be looked into because all I see with building in my direct line of view is see popups when walking towards them but coming over hills or through the forest its fine because something is obscuring your view anyways. Those are my only rants about so what do I like? Literally everything else, so much so I can't describe them all in this vote! This maybe a spoiler but if you find something that can cast electrical damage, find the nearest body of water than cast it into the water and you will see an awesome effect. Why did I give this a 9 then when I like it so much? Simple even though the bugs are few and far between and there are some petty annoyances with some of the systems it does take away from the imerssion factor which is what any rpg tries to do with annoying but you can't like everything there is but don't let these problems distract from what is done really really well, besides what good is a pc game with out a patch? oh and mods too! Expand
  76. EricW.
    Mar 26, 2006
    More than a video game, it is an alternate world to lose yourself in. Worth the price of the game just for the books and lore in the game, and that is just one small part of the whole.
  77. CarlosB.
    Mar 26, 2006
    Impressive game... it is really unexpective. La polla!!! este juego es la polla!!! ya os lo podeis comprar... los graficos estan de puta madre... Vale la pena... Un gran trabajo hay en este videojuego...
  78. Splinky
    Mar 26, 2006
    This game is flat out amazing. I have never played a game of this depth and scope. The plot in incredibley involving. The quests are challenging, the detail is incredible. Ther is just such an amzing amount to do. The only thing stopping me giving it a 10 is the fact that to truly experience this game ( on the pc version) you will need a fairly hefty machine.
  79. JamesD.
    Mar 27, 2006
    Morrowind was one of my favorite games... Oblivion improves on it in every single way exept one! The awsome leveling system from Morrowind returns. Alchemy is a joy to perform. I have a top of the line gaming PC, and I would say it is absolutely the best looking game ever, the Oblivion Gates are the best effect I've seen in a game. The fighting system is more fun than oblivion, and Morrowind was one of my favorite games... Oblivion improves on it in every single way exept one! The awsome leveling system from Morrowind returns. Alchemy is a joy to perform. I have a top of the line gaming PC, and I would say it is absolutely the best looking game ever, the Oblivion Gates are the best effect I've seen in a game. The fighting system is more fun than oblivion, and magic is lots of fun. The new journaling system makes figuring out what to do on a quest after a long break easy. No complaints except: 9 instead of 10 because the menu system is perhaps the worst menu system ever on a Windows XP game. At level 20 you have 50 spells to cast, but you have to scroll through them 7 at a time with only 8 hot keys. Swapping dagger for a bow is tedious (my hot keys are used up for magic already). Basically, the menu interface of Oblivion is terrible, but at least the game pauses while you suffer thru the 1980's console reject screens. The interface is so bad I would have given the game a 5 my first couple days playing... but I've gotten used to it. Expand
  80. JoshV.
    Mar 27, 2006
    words can not properly describe my love for this game, it is a world into its self. no person can describe this world to someone who hasnt played it. so expansive that i played 45 hours the first weekend that i had it and i completed the main series of quests. it would have gotten a 10 but i tend to stand to close to doors when i open them and on a rare occasion when the door opens tword words can not properly describe my love for this game, it is a world into its self. no person can describe this world to someone who hasnt played it. so expansive that i played 45 hours the first weekend that i had it and i completed the main series of quests. it would have gotten a 10 but i tend to stand to close to doors when i open them and on a rare occasion when the door opens tword me i get smashed into the wall and end up clipping through into a giant ocean below the level also the menu was a pain, i dont need to elaborate on that the only other gripe was that there where too many people that looked too much like martin and i couldnt seem to get my person to look just right. Expand
  81. SiE
    Mar 28, 2006
    I don't usually like RPG's but after reading a few reviews I thought i would try this game. I'm pleased i did as this is an excellent game, one of the best i have played. The plot line so far has been very involving and the graphics stunning. As others have said I think the interface ciuld be better but other than that there are no gripes from me. The sheer amount of I don't usually like RPG's but after reading a few reviews I thought i would try this game. I'm pleased i did as this is an excellent game, one of the best i have played. The plot line so far has been very involving and the graphics stunning. As others have said I think the interface ciuld be better but other than that there are no gripes from me. The sheer amount of content must embaress other developers who seem to feel its fine to put oout a game which can be completed in 10 hours. After 20 hours playing i seem to have barely scratched the surface of the main story. Expand
  82. FrankieP.
    Mar 28, 2006
    It's true; PC specifications will dictate the choppy factor / framerate performance of this game. THAT is the ONLY determining factor in whether you get the most out of this game or not because if you do have a top-of-the-range machine, the design, gameplay, graphics and overall immersive quality of this game will put you in gaming heaven and have you shaking your head in the sheer It's true; PC specifications will dictate the choppy factor / framerate performance of this game. THAT is the ONLY determining factor in whether you get the most out of this game or not because if you do have a top-of-the-range machine, the design, gameplay, graphics and overall immersive quality of this game will put you in gaming heaven and have you shaking your head in the sheer wonder of it all. Yes; if this were a work of art, it would be the Mona Lisa of the gaming world - no question. If you only have a 2.4ghz processor with 768MB RAM and a low-end Radeon 9600XT graphics card (as I have) then the game will have you shaking your head in sheer frustration at not having the high end machine you wish you had. Don't get me wrong, there is still lots of fun to be had playing this game on a mid-range system - it's just that I feel I am missing out on the full quality of the game. (There is a noticeable framerate situation in parts of cities and towns and choppy chop chop shenanigens when a-galloping and a-roaming around on horse.) And the actual gameplay? Top notch!! It's not the type of game where you just jump in and hack and slash at all monsters around you (like Diablo and, to a lesser extent, World of Warcraft or Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Siege) it is a game to be slowly savoured and enjoyed at a leisurely pace. Not sure whether to play a warrior orientated, magic orientated or marksman/thief orientated character? Then play 3 separate characters with each separate trait and have them join separate guilds and see how they pan out. (Personally, I have a warrior who I have sent out roaming various dungeons, a spellcaster who is following the main quest and a marksman / thief who is currently going out to kill someone for the Dark Brotherhood.) It is definitely the type of game where patience, and possibly a good session looking at the manual, will be rewarded. Think of it as a sumptuous gourmet meal to be taken slowly and to be enjoyed with fine wine. And the gripes? Ok, here are the nitpickings: 1) I am not good with hotkeys and would personally have preferred icons to press (a la WoW) when casting spells or changing weapons. Faffing about with menus just to figure out which spell to equip or to quaff a potion is a huge pain in my buttock framed arse. 2) When I pick a dainty flower I would like for it to disappear (and for it to perhaps respawn later) cos I often get confused as to whether I have picked a flower or not. Going up to a flower and finding out that I have already picked it is an inconvenience I could do without. 3) Why no mini-map? In fact, why make the maps so tightly packed and hard to navigate overall? I dunno, I just feel that I need a wider view and fuller maps to get to know my way around. Also, it is slightly annoying to have to press a keyboard key and then move the mouse to the map button to get a map up. Well, that's it. One thing I will add before i go is for those with the not so beefy rig to run this game: try window mode! Go to options, slide all those sliders up to max, then maybe run it at around the 800X600 resolution mark and then play the game in a window - at least then you'll get a mini impression at how those lucky baskets with big ones can run the game. Expand
  83. AaronF.
    Mar 28, 2006
    It brings even the most expensive machines to their knees, requires a bit of tweaking to look its best, and isn't without a few balancing issues. But the beauty and immersion that it provides is unequaled in video games. Hands down the best looking game I have ever experienced. And with a healthy mod community busy balancing and improving the game, it will only get better in time. It brings even the most expensive machines to their knees, requires a bit of tweaking to look its best, and isn't without a few balancing issues. But the beauty and immersion that it provides is unequaled in video games. Hands down the best looking game I have ever experienced. And with a healthy mod community busy balancing and improving the game, it will only get better in time. Definitely worth it. Expand
  84. BryanP.
    Mar 29, 2006
    A 10 for content/story, but the PC version is crippled by the XBox 360 console user interface. Simple things like true WASD movement and re-assignable keymappings are not present. Hopefully Bethesda or the modding community will bring the User Interface out of the early '90s and streamline an otherwise wonderful game.
  85. ParkerB.
    Mar 29, 2006
    Visceral, gripping, and fun. Astoundingly good. Amazingly entertaining.
  86. Czar
    Mar 29, 2006
    Wow! I am not a big RPG fan but I am really enjoying this game. I tried to like Morrowind but couldn't get into it. Oblivion has sucked me in. I Upgraded my ATI 9700 Pro to a 7800 GS and it is like a different game. Very very cool. Must buy.
  87. JasonW.
    Mar 29, 2006
    I have played the 360 version and the pc version, I dont see how anyone would give 360 version a higher rating, when the pc version was 10x more detailed and will be patched etc... while 360 will stick with its sound bugs among others it's having.
  88. GiancarloB.
    Mar 29, 2006
    ROFL i loved Aelius comparison to doom 3 and halo 2..... aelius ur an idiot how can u ever compare an Rpg to a first person shooter. i found that u saying Doom 3 is a good game is funny because if u play it again it lacks alot... such things as AI interation and a story sirious theres no story... as for halo 2.... it was the same as halo 1 not a very good game to much of a hype . unlike ROFL i loved Aelius comparison to doom 3 and halo 2..... aelius ur an idiot how can u ever compare an Rpg to a first person shooter. i found that u saying Doom 3 is a good game is funny because if u play it again it lacks alot... such things as AI interation and a story sirious theres no story... as for halo 2.... it was the same as halo 1 not a very good game to much of a hype . unlike thos 2 games this game delivered wut they said it would. for people with a bad computer or playing it on a x box 360 u guys shouldnt complain because on a computer with a bad computer u cant really run this game at all very well. also if ur running it on x box 360 graphics r not as good as they can be and controls stink sorry to say =S. Expand
  89. JamesH.
    Mar 29, 2006
    This game is like crack, extremely well done, the pinnacle of game design. I won't dote on more than the others have, but rest assured, if you are an RPG fasn and more specifically a fan of the seldom seen first person type of RPG, then this game is for you. The game is so massive that one hardly knows where to begin. This game will keep you occupied for a VERY long time.
  90. Keith
    Mar 30, 2006
    This game was awesome - so realistic - best RPG in years.
  91. RobX.
    Mar 31, 2006
    Easily the most alive single player RPG ever. Just the fact that most NPC wander around doing their thing makes you feel more part of a "real" world. I'm running the game on a machine that barely meets "recommended" spec and I have to turn the graphics' detail level way down to get a somewhat decent framerate, but who cares when the gameplay itself is this excellent. Thumbs up!
  92. JonathanS.
    Mar 31, 2006
    No doubt... This game is the best single player RPG ever! You have so many choices. The graphics are amazing the AI is good (But not to good) and the gameplay is really great! I just wish the game world was bigger! Hail Bethesda!
  93. Roee
    Mar 31, 2006
    Excellent game. The world is extremely immersive, the graphics gorgeous, and plenty of quirks from Morrowind are streamlined now (hurrah to fast travel!). Not perfect, but amazing nonetheless.
  94. DeathKnight
    Apr 2, 2006
    I hated morrowind but this game is AWESOME. I would have given it a 10 but the graphics engine sucks(at least for me. I have 6600GT). I can run farcry with all settings high and game runs extremely smooth but even with all settings set to minimum oblivion still stutters. Other than that the game is perfact a must have rpg fans.
  95. JohnD.
    Apr 3, 2006
    This game is like a drug you cant stop playing. the graphic are imerse the AI could be better. Inever thought any game could be this good.
  96. FrankC.
    Apr 3, 2006
    As everyone says, it's simply fantastic. The quests are engaging, and the voice acting is good. The engine is a marvel. Here's what I'd say though - unless you can download 3DMark and break 4000, with a CPU score of over 900, I wouldn't attempt it. If you don't know how to overclock your rig, it might be a good time to learn. It's simply not the same game As everyone says, it's simply fantastic. The quests are engaging, and the voice acting is good. The engine is a marvel. Here's what I'd say though - unless you can download 3DMark and break 4000, with a CPU score of over 900, I wouldn't attempt it. If you don't know how to overclock your rig, it might be a good time to learn. It's simply not the same game without the eye candy, the shadows and water and mist and reflecting surfaces, etc. THe world is big, and it's rich and you can't help but find things to do. Unlike Morrowwind, you won't get bored. Expand
  97. BoogerNugget
    Apr 4, 2006
    Great game, best single-player RPG ever. Would be a 10 if the PC interface was customizeable - as it stands now it's awkward and clunky. Why can't I open map by pressing "M", or inventory by pressing "I". Damn you XBOX!
  98. UNI
    Apr 5, 2006
    So stupid AI, technical problems etc. The game is good but not perfect.
  99. TonyN.
    Apr 6, 2006
    This game is extremely big.Its like GTA San andreas in the past.Thats the kind of games I like because of their freedom.the AIs are well programed and graphics amazing.One of the best RPG games ever.
  100. MikeyP.
    Apr 8, 2006
    Amazing game. I just started and solved some quests (like 5 hours of play) and this game pushes you to play and pay with sleepless nights. It's hard to play Oblivion and have a job.

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.