8.0

1. DonS.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Excellent game! Beautiful graphics that haven't, so far, caused game performance to suffer, engaging story line, fun combat system and a pretty seamless transition between outdoor areas. I played for nine straight hours after gettijng the game late in the afternoon. Half of the time I was so busy just soaking up the ambience that I'd have to back-track and actually explore and Excellent game! Beautiful graphics that haven't, so far, caused game performance to suffer, engaging story line, fun combat system and a pretty seamless transition between outdoor areas. I played for nine straight hours after gettijng the game late in the afternoon. Half of the time I was so busy just soaking up the ambience that I'd have to back-track and actually explore and interact. If it continues to live up to this early promise, it will sit atop my list of very best games! Expand
  2. HenryT.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I've both PC & XBox360 version and I can tell you the PC version has the better graphics and resolution by far. Other than that a similar gaming experience. I'm just hooked, 1 more day to the weekend...
  3. ShoNuff
    Mar 24, 2006
    Even with the minor sound issue I initially had with the game, this has got to be the foremost role-playing game on the market. I was cautiously optimistic after hearing the Bethesda folks made the main story easier to follow, but after 6 hours of game play, I can tell you it is still as open-ended as ever. I haven
  4. LukasK.
    Mar 24, 2006
    It's look lovely. It's run on slow machine. Oblivion could be the next level of RPG games but the AI is terrible. Sometime enemies don't know about me. Sometime fall into water and can't came back. Sometimes simply kill each other with friendly fire. Another thing. How the soldier in this side of island know that I stole 1 silver plate from the opposite side? Yes there It's look lovely. It's run on slow machine. Oblivion could be the next level of RPG games but the AI is terrible. Sometime enemies don't know about me. Sometime fall into water and can't came back. Sometimes simply kill each other with friendly fire. Another thing. How the soldier in this side of island know that I stole 1 silver plate from the opposite side? Yes there are some bugs but most of these bugs will be removed witch patch. As I hope. Expand
  5. Betawatcher
    Mar 24, 2006
    Excellent game, 12 hours in & haven't even touched the main quest.
  6. CarlosB.
    Mar 26, 2006
    Impressive game... it is really unexpective. La polla!!! este juego es la polla!!! ya os lo podeis comprar... los graficos estan de puta madre... Vale la pena... Un gran trabajo hay en este videojuego...
  7. Splinky
    Mar 26, 2006
    This game is flat out amazing. I have never played a game of this depth and scope. The plot in incredibley involving. The quests are challenging, the detail is incredible. Ther is just such an amzing amount to do. The only thing stopping me giving it a 10 is the fact that to truly experience this game ( on the pc version) you will need a fairly hefty machine.
  8. SiE
    Mar 28, 2006
    I don't usually like RPG's but after reading a few reviews I thought i would try this game. I'm pleased i did as this is an excellent game, one of the best i have played. The plot line so far has been very involving and the graphics stunning. As others have said I think the interface ciuld be better but other than that there are no gripes from me. The sheer amount of I don't usually like RPG's but after reading a few reviews I thought i would try this game. I'm pleased i did as this is an excellent game, one of the best i have played. The plot line so far has been very involving and the graphics stunning. As others have said I think the interface ciuld be better but other than that there are no gripes from me. The sheer amount of content must embaress other developers who seem to feel its fine to put oout a game which can be completed in 10 hours. After 20 hours playing i seem to have barely scratched the surface of the main story. Expand
  9. FrankieP.
    Mar 28, 2006
    It's true; PC specifications will dictate the choppy factor / framerate performance of this game. THAT is the ONLY determining factor in whether you get the most out of this game or not because if you do have a top-of-the-range machine, the design, gameplay, graphics and overall immersive quality of this game will put you in gaming heaven and have you shaking your head in the sheer It's true; PC specifications will dictate the choppy factor / framerate performance of this game. THAT is the ONLY determining factor in whether you get the most out of this game or not because if you do have a top-of-the-range machine, the design, gameplay, graphics and overall immersive quality of this game will put you in gaming heaven and have you shaking your head in the sheer wonder of it all. Yes; if this were a work of art, it would be the Mona Lisa of the gaming world - no question. If you only have a 2.4ghz processor with 768MB RAM and a low-end Radeon 9600XT graphics card (as I have) then the game will have you shaking your head in sheer frustration at not having the high end machine you wish you had. Don't get me wrong, there is still lots of fun to be had playing this game on a mid-range system - it's just that I feel I am missing out on the full quality of the game. (There is a noticeable framerate situation in parts of cities and towns and choppy chop chop shenanigens when a-galloping and a-roaming around on horse.) And the actual gameplay? Top notch!! It's not the type of game where you just jump in and hack and slash at all monsters around you (like Diablo and, to a lesser extent, World of Warcraft or Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Siege) it is a game to be slowly savoured and enjoyed at a leisurely pace. Not sure whether to play a warrior orientated, magic orientated or marksman/thief orientated character? Then play 3 separate characters with each separate trait and have them join separate guilds and see how they pan out. (Personally, I have a warrior who I have sent out roaming various dungeons, a spellcaster who is following the main quest and a marksman / thief who is currently going out to kill someone for the Dark Brotherhood.) It is definitely the type of game where patience, and possibly a good session looking at the manual, will be rewarded. Think of it as a sumptuous gourmet meal to be taken slowly and to be enjoyed with fine wine. And the gripes? Ok, here are the nitpickings: 1) I am not good with hotkeys and would personally have preferred icons to press (a la WoW) when casting spells or changing weapons. Faffing about with menus just to figure out which spell to equip or to quaff a potion is a huge pain in my buttock framed arse. 2) When I pick a dainty flower I would like for it to disappear (and for it to perhaps respawn later) cos I often get confused as to whether I have picked a flower or not. Going up to a flower and finding out that I have already picked it is an inconvenience I could do without. 3) Why no mini-map? In fact, why make the maps so tightly packed and hard to navigate overall? I dunno, I just feel that I need a wider view and fuller maps to get to know my way around. Also, it is slightly annoying to have to press a keyboard key and then move the mouse to the map button to get a map up. Well, that's it. One thing I will add before i go is for those with the not so beefy rig to run this game: try window mode! Go to options, slide all those sliders up to max, then maybe run it at around the 800X600 resolution mark and then play the game in a window - at least then you'll get a mini impression at how those lucky baskets with big ones can run the game. Expand
  10. Czar
    Mar 29, 2006
    Wow! I am not a big RPG fan but I am really enjoying this game. I tried to like Morrowind but couldn't get into it. Oblivion has sucked me in. I Upgraded my ATI 9700 Pro to a 7800 GS and it is like a different game. Very very cool. Must buy.
  11. GiancarloB.
    Mar 29, 2006
    ROFL i loved Aelius comparison to doom 3 and halo 2..... aelius ur an idiot how can u ever compare an Rpg to a first person shooter. i found that u saying Doom 3 is a good game is funny because if u play it again it lacks alot... such things as AI interation and a story sirious theres no story... as for halo 2.... it was the same as halo 1 not a very good game to much of a hype . unlike ROFL i loved Aelius comparison to doom 3 and halo 2..... aelius ur an idiot how can u ever compare an Rpg to a first person shooter. i found that u saying Doom 3 is a good game is funny because if u play it again it lacks alot... such things as AI interation and a story sirious theres no story... as for halo 2.... it was the same as halo 1 not a very good game to much of a hype . unlike thos 2 games this game delivered wut they said it would. for people with a bad computer or playing it on a x box 360 u guys shouldnt complain because on a computer with a bad computer u cant really run this game at all very well. also if ur running it on x box 360 graphics r not as good as they can be and controls stink sorry to say =S. Expand
  12. JamesH.
    Mar 29, 2006
    This game is like crack, extremely well done, the pinnacle of game design. I won't dote on more than the others have, but rest assured, if you are an RPG fasn and more specifically a fan of the seldom seen first person type of RPG, then this game is for you. The game is so massive that one hardly knows where to begin. This game will keep you occupied for a VERY long time.
  13. BryanP.
    Mar 29, 2006
    A 10 for content/story, but the PC version is crippled by the XBox 360 console user interface. Simple things like true WASD movement and re-assignable keymappings are not present. Hopefully Bethesda or the modding community will bring the User Interface out of the early '90s and streamline an otherwise wonderful game.
  14. ParkerB.
    Mar 29, 2006
    Visceral, gripping, and fun. Astoundingly good. Amazingly entertaining.
  15. Roee
    Mar 31, 2006
    Excellent game. The world is extremely immersive, the graphics gorgeous, and plenty of quirks from Morrowind are streamlined now (hurrah to fast travel!). Not perfect, but amazing nonetheless.
  16. RobX.
    Mar 31, 2006
    Easily the most alive single player RPG ever. Just the fact that most NPC wander around doing their thing makes you feel more part of a "real" world. I'm running the game on a machine that barely meets "recommended" spec and I have to turn the graphics' detail level way down to get a somewhat decent framerate, but who cares when the gameplay itself is this excellent. Thumbs up!
  17. PieterD.
    Mar 3, 2006
    this game is going to rock. the graphics are awsome the gameplay is one of the best in years. this is going to be one of the best RPG's in years.
  18. JonathanS.
    Mar 31, 2006
    No doubt... This game is the best single player RPG ever! You have so many choices. The graphics are amazing the AI is good (But not to good) and the gameplay is really great! I just wish the game world was bigger! Hail Bethesda!
  19. JasonLong
    Apr 11, 2006
    Despite various issues, this game is awesome. From a 30+ jaded gamer, this has me pretty hooked.
  20. LawrenceL.
    Apr 11, 2006
    Best game I have ever played, and I've been playing them since "Pong" was new.
  21. SeanB.
    Apr 12, 2006
    A fantastic game. A high point of my CRPG life. It surpasses expectations by creating an immersive, fun, gorgeous, realistic, and hugefantasy world. This game is the pinacle of RPGs. Quests are clever and intuitive going far beyond gofor missions and kill this missions. My favorites are the Clue-like murder house and the Shadow of Hackdirt (Lovecraft) quests. Morrowind has a deeper world, A fantastic game. A high point of my CRPG life. It surpasses expectations by creating an immersive, fun, gorgeous, realistic, and hugefantasy world. This game is the pinacle of RPGs. Quests are clever and intuitive going far beyond gofor missions and kill this missions. My favorites are the Clue-like murder house and the Shadow of Hackdirt (Lovecraft) quests. Morrowind has a deeper world, but frankly lacked polish. This is a diamond of a game with hundreds of hours of game time. Expand
  22. RobbinB.
    Apr 14, 2006
    The gameplay (graphics, combat, etc..) itself is fantastic and kudos to Bethesda on that. It did require some serious upgrading to my computer to get it to even run properly though. The leveling/skill system, on the other hand, is completely broken. What's inexcusable is that the system is pretty much exactly the same as that used for Morrowind. It was lousy then, and it's lousy The gameplay (graphics, combat, etc..) itself is fantastic and kudos to Bethesda on that. It did require some serious upgrading to my computer to get it to even run properly though. The leveling/skill system, on the other hand, is completely broken. What's inexcusable is that the system is pretty much exactly the same as that used for Morrowind. It was lousy then, and it's lousy now. Just look at all the guides out there talking about "controlled leveling" - it actually makes more sense to place the skills you want to use more often as minor skills then as major skills. True role-playing just goes out the window or the role player is severely punished. And there's only one uber-character - all stats and skills maxed out; warrior, mage, and thief all-in-one and member of every guild! Expand
  23. Ty
    Apr 23, 2006
    Amazing.
  24. MichaelJ.
    Apr 30, 2006
    This game is simply marvelous. The graphics are stunning and there are heaps of RPG elements. Outstandng.
  25. BoogerNugget
    Apr 4, 2006
    Great game, best single-player RPG ever. Would be a 10 if the PC interface was customizeable - as it stands now it's awkward and clunky. Why can't I open map by pressing "M", or inventory by pressing "I". Damn you XBOX!
  26. JacobK.
    May 13, 2006
    OMG. This is deff one of the best games i have evr tryed. i played for like 3 mins and already i was hooked. I loved the begging dungoun. cant wait to play more of it.
  27. MikeM.
    May 17, 2006
    I agree that this is probably the best RPG to date, when i first got it i couldnt put it down, there are thousands of quests, and on high settings with a high resolution it looks better than any other game its true sometimes my framerate drops to 30 :( but this is only for a second or so, and the NPC's do suck but it still manages to draw you in, We all know it has its bugs but no I agree that this is probably the best RPG to date, when i first got it i couldnt put it down, there are thousands of quests, and on high settings with a high resolution it looks better than any other game its true sometimes my framerate drops to 30 :( but this is only for a second or so, and the NPC's do suck but it still manages to draw you in, We all know it has its bugs but no game is perfect, But also no game comes this close. Expand
  28. ErikM.
    May 2, 2006
    Would have gotten a 9 if Bethesda actually released a finished product instead of this bug-ridden beta version. Black marks for STILL not having a patch either, since they're focusing only on revenue-generating expansions. Fun game when it works, but the scaling dungeons dumb the game down way too much. Not enough variety in gear. Graphics are great, save for the annoyingly ugly faces.
  29. BellinoP.
    May 2, 2006
    Simply the best game I have ever played. Hands Down!
  30. PackerL.
    May 2, 2006
    WOW !! I can't believe how great this game is.
  31. AndrewN.
    Jun 14, 2006
    Superb game. A real life eate. Although it's not perfect the little flaws do nothing to detract from a game that is vast in scope and enjoyment. You don't even have to play the story line - I've clocked 160+ hours and still haven't touched it. The side plots are more than enough to keep you entertained.
  32. hcarter
    Jun 9, 2006
    I haven't played an RPG this good since the Baldur's Gate series. The endless play is amazing, let alone the great main quest arc. The amount of variation you can play in this game is just amazing. The graphics are wonderful. Back when CIV4 came out I had upgraded my video card--so I was easily able to play Oblivion with no modifications whatsoever.
    There are a few glitches
    There are a few glitches here and there--but nothing too major---the first beta patch is sincerely a take or leave install--which means the version you get in your box was tested well. Still, I'm eager to see what the full exp. patch will entail when it's released. The only thing that would earn a 10 from me is multi-player--same party capabilities like Baldurs Gate. Otherwise, bravo to Bethesda--well done.
  33. Cocidius
    Jul 27, 2006
    this game rocks... It's not only a huge world which looks amazing and give you (almost) total freedom; It's modding system gives you the ability to mod all those pesky little bugs away :D The only downside is that is has a tendency to crash.
  34. Exos1stWalker
    Jul 29, 2006
    This game is so cool. Ignore what those other bastards say Oblivion deserves a 10. Bethesda has worked bloody hard on this game. The A.I. is so next-gen. The graphics are eye candy that you're eyes won't stop staring at (if you have the right graphics card). The combat is fun but the level scaling system really ticks me off so there's no use in leveling up. Sure there bugs This game is so cool. Ignore what those other bastards say Oblivion deserves a 10. Bethesda has worked bloody hard on this game. The A.I. is so next-gen. The graphics are eye candy that you're eyes won't stop staring at (if you have the right graphics card). The combat is fun but the level scaling system really ticks me off so there's no use in leveling up. Sure there bugs some are hell some are not so hell. But thats why patches were invented. The Pc version is 5% better than the X BOX 360 one beacause you can download stuff and create your own bonus content. Some things are really anoying like how an imperial gaurd on the other side of the island all of a sudden knows that you stole a horse. But nothing is perfect buy this game now. Expand
  35. TristanEdge
    Jul 5, 2006
    One of the greatest games I have ever played, and I'm not overreacting; I've played plenty of RPGs (and games in general). Graphics are simply beautiful - you can stand on a mountain overlooking a town and see a huge Imperial city in the distance. Gameplay was varied and enjoyable - several styles of combat, plenty of character interaction, some fun mini-games, and a whole hostOne of the greatest games I have ever played, and I'm not overreacting; I've played plenty of RPGs (and games in general). Graphics are simply beautiful - you can stand on a mountain overlooking a town and see a huge Imperial city in the distance. Gameplay was varied and enjoyable - several styles of combat, plenty of character interaction, some fun mini-games, and a whole host of back story in the form of books, letters, newspapers, and gossip. The world is pretty damned big - coastlines, rivers and bridges, mountains, forests, towns and cities, hamlets, dungeons, caves, ancient ruins... the map has a nicely spaced out feel to it, it's not too clustered. Each individual dungeon area seems different with its own traps, monsters, scenary etc... Realistic physics were a great addition - seeing an enemy fall down a cliff can be very satisfying. Level scaling was well implemented, as your enemy's levels match your own. The various addons that Bethesda are releasing look to make this game very enjoyable for a very long time to come! You MUST buy this game!! Expand
  36. AcharneA.
    Aug 1, 2006
    The most stand up game ever made.
  37. SebastianM.
    Sep 11, 2006
    Immersive and extensive game play makes for a great - and lasting- experience; enhanced blending visuals.
  38. MikeD.
    Jan 13, 2007
    This is a single player for World of Warcraft. Trust me, nothing got near World of Warcraft other than this game for the single player role playing game.
  39. BenA.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Simply the best game I have ever played, beats Halo or Gears of War Hands down. Simply eye popping - mind blowing visuals, a brilliant story. A must have for ANY RPG fan. Also fear not if your computer isn't good enough to run it, there is a mod called Oldblivion that alows older/worse computers to play the game!
  40. DamienN.
    Feb 11, 2007
    ABSOLUTELY SUPERB! If you haven't bought it buy it this instant you haven't a clue what your missing out on! Ticks all the right boxes (GFX, SOUND, quantity of quests) and on top of that CPT Jean Luc Picard is in it to so BUY IT!
  41. TomA.
    Mar 23, 2007
    This game is definitely fun. The graphics are excellent. You are free to explore a large world. The game developers seemed to only use about 5 different voices for hundreds of non player characters. In a game where everything is focused on quests, the realism is goes out the door fast. I would also like to say that this game has a lot of very repetitious elements so if you can rent it This game is definitely fun. The graphics are excellent. You are free to explore a large world. The game developers seemed to only use about 5 different voices for hundreds of non player characters. In a game where everything is focused on quests, the realism is goes out the door fast. I would also like to say that this game has a lot of very repetitious elements so if you can rent it you'll enjoy it more. Oblivion was fun for about two weeks. Expand
  42. ColbyA.
    Mar 23, 2007
    Okay, I won't waste your time rephrasing everything everyone has said here. Great Graphics, Great gameplay (imo), but the scaling system is seriously flawed, yes. My suggestion? If you buy this for the PC, find a modding site and download a scaling modification for the game. Oblivion for the PC was -made- to be modded, so find mods that fix the game how you want it, and play. Okay, I won't waste your time rephrasing everything everyone has said here. Great Graphics, Great gameplay (imo), but the scaling system is seriously flawed, yes. My suggestion? If you buy this for the PC, find a modding site and download a scaling modification for the game. Oblivion for the PC was -made- to be modded, so find mods that fix the game how you want it, and play. It's definitely worth the money and the time. Expand
  43. TheWasp
    Mar 25, 2007
    The only down side to to this game is (was),you can not attack while ridding on your horse.
  44. TimothyM.
    Apr 16, 2007
    This is really one of the most addicting games ever created. The world is huge, there are tons of quests, and there are so many variations of characters. This is not the normal type of turn based RPG. This mixes the two worlds of RPG and FPS in a beautiful almost seamless way. There are few games that I have played and been sucked into. This is one of them.
  45. ConorL.
    May 12, 2007
    Totally the best game on the PC that i'v played, Its also great on the 360 everythng about the game has a very good feeling to it and the graphics for a world that big is AMAZING.
  46. NoName
    Jul 11, 2007
    Aside from a few bugs (all of which have been bypassed by some use of the ingame console), this game is perfection. I have only ever said that about 2 other games, (final fantasy 7 and 8), and i don't give 10's out lightly. So far i've played around 70 hours of Oblivion, and i haven't been bored for a minute. I cannot say that about any other game, and i feel that Aside from a few bugs (all of which have been bypassed by some use of the ingame console), this game is perfection. I have only ever said that about 2 other games, (final fantasy 7 and 8), and i don't give 10's out lightly. So far i've played around 70 hours of Oblivion, and i haven't been bored for a minute. I cannot say that about any other game, and i feel that after 1,000 hours of questing, i would still be telling you the same thing. Definitely worth a purchase, especially now after the release of lots of official plugins and patches, and also an ever growing community, committed to expanding the game further. World of Warcraft, eat your heart out! Expand
  47. OovVictory
    Sep 26, 2007
    4 for graphics, 4 for the soundtrack, 8 for the player made mods, -3 for leveling, -5 for bugs and crashes. As you can see Beth, the player made mods saved your game.
  48. P.S.
    Jan 19, 2008
    This game was a bit of a disappointment, considering its predecessor, but even years later, few titles could hope to compare. It sacrificed some complexity and gameplay to become more accessible for the console crowd, but overall a pretty good game.
  49. JJ
    Apr 11, 2008
    Oblivion is simply one of the best games ever made. I lost my copy and have been thinking about getting it again to play it again, because there's no other RPG available right now that even comes close to being as well-crafted, entertaining, varied or just plain sprawling; nothing currently available of its calibre. And yeah, it's a hybrid RPG/FPS. Did I mention that it's Oblivion is simply one of the best games ever made. I lost my copy and have been thinking about getting it again to play it again, because there's no other RPG available right now that even comes close to being as well-crafted, entertaining, varied or just plain sprawling; nothing currently available of its calibre. And yeah, it's a hybrid RPG/FPS. Did I mention that it's one of the best games ever made? Perhaps the best Fantasy-Adventure RPG ever made? The story is excellent, the gameplay is fun, the graphics are stunning, the gameworld is huge and there's probably 200 hours of stuff to do in it should you attempt to see everything it has to offer-- on one character, on one path; and there are, of course, multiple paths. I think I'm gonna go get it again, and pick up the expansions to boot. Expand
  50. AnomynousGamer
    Apr 14, 2008
    Oblivion is an amazing game. Don't get me wrong it does have its flaws with some tedious quests which get repetitive but it still doesn't make the game rubbish. Reading a lot of comments what most people complain about is the leveling system. All the things about staying lvl 1 and being the strongest is stupid but the leveling system is worked out pretty well. 10 major skill Oblivion is an amazing game. Don't get me wrong it does have its flaws with some tedious quests which get repetitive but it still doesn't make the game rubbish. Reading a lot of comments what most people complain about is the leveling system. All the things about staying lvl 1 and being the strongest is stupid but the leveling system is worked out pretty well. 10 major skill levels is 1 combat level. Once you reach higher levels people are complaining that it gets "to hard" the reason for it being "to hard" for these players is the fact that they are inexperienced. The higher level you are the more "skilled" you are. This should mean that you know how to kill certain enemies certain way with weaknesses etc. People complaining about it being to hard just can't play the game properly. The graphics are very good and does make everything look very good. The AI isn't the greatest and on a few occasions I've been chased by a person with their weapon drawn for them to talk to me like a normal person. But aside from all the bugs and some flaws i give this game an 8. P.S. This is weird that I, being an avid gamer and posting on a PC review site, has only played on the Xbox 360. Even then i still wouldn't think that there would be much different with combat apart from controls. I have played Oblivion for 200+ hours and still play it. Expand
  51. LiZard
    Sep 4, 2008
    It does not deserve a 10/10 if you play Vanilla Oblivion (no mods), but with enough mods, a nice overhaul, and tweaking a few of the .init files, it becomes a great experience. SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT: I THINK THAT VANILLA DESERVES A 5/10!!! but really, everyone here on Meta either hates it or loves it. I like it, but I would never play it without atleast RealSleep and Alternate It does not deserve a 10/10 if you play Vanilla Oblivion (no mods), but with enough mods, a nice overhaul, and tweaking a few of the .init files, it becomes a great experience. SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT: I THINK THAT VANILLA DESERVES A 5/10!!! but really, everyone here on Meta either hates it or loves it. I like it, but I would never play it without atleast RealSleep and Alternate start, arrive by ship. REPEAT!!! OBLIVION WITHOUT MODS GETS A 5/10!! I wouldn't play it vanilla unless it was on the 360. But just cause a few people's computers can't handle it, and because of the normal, no mod version of it doesn't help matters, everyone hates it. Give it a break. Fallout 3 almost completely ripped I AM LEGEND off. It isn't that good either. Expand
  52. AlexM
    Oct 2, 2009
    I playing games since 1993. I played evrything from Tetris to Baldurs Gate. And i have to say this is best game ever made.Best RPG ever made , Best 3D RPG ever made , Best Graphics ever made , Best modding system ever made. Best Lore ever made. Oblivion is just Brilliant , if u didnt liked this game then u have no taste in beautiful things.
  53. AlexB.
    Feb 3, 2009
    Easily the best game of any genre on any system I have ever played. The graphics are phenomenal. The gameplay is solid. The storylines for the main quest and each of the guilds are excellent. There are TONS of side quests that can take you tens if not hundreds of hours to complete, and they are almost all very fun and have very good plots. The world is huge and filled with caves and Easily the best game of any genre on any system I have ever played. The graphics are phenomenal. The gameplay is solid. The storylines for the main quest and each of the guilds are excellent. There are TONS of side quests that can take you tens if not hundreds of hours to complete, and they are almost all very fun and have very good plots. The world is huge and filled with caves and dungeons and forests that are all completely exlporable. And don't forget the thousands of mods that can add many more hours of gameplay. The only flaw that even comes close to ruining the gameplay is that it might be too much for lower end PCs to handle, but its simple to change the settings to make it work better. Overall, there is absolutely no reason this is not in every RPG fan's collection. Expand
  54. Jamesm
    Apr 12, 2009
    While it does have some issues that come inherent with go anywhere do anything games that have a vast a scope as oblivion (compared to very scripted linear progression rpg's ie jrpg's) oblivion does well as a whole rahter than a sum of it's parts. Throughout the game enemies level as well to sustain a challenge all the way through (Pro tip:complainers who want a cake walk While it does have some issues that come inherent with go anywhere do anything games that have a vast a scope as oblivion (compared to very scripted linear progression rpg's ie jrpg's) oblivion does well as a whole rahter than a sum of it's parts. Throughout the game enemies level as well to sustain a challenge all the way through (Pro tip:complainers who want a cake walk once leveled can just turn the difficulty down). Great looking graphics and artistic design with most towns having thier own building design look. It all comes together very nicely, most dungeosn look the same but these arn't usually required and you'll easily get 80 hours of game play by completing the main missions and exploring the landscape. Expand
  55. KevinR
    Jun 10, 2009
    People need i grow up and stop your crying, and if you really do not like the game go play something else... its not that hard to do people, or even if you think you can do better make your own game and stop putting down a game that was made for gamers like YOU!!!
  56. JackL
    Jun 17, 2009
    Oblivion isn't perfect, no game is. But I think a 10/10 score is for when it ticks the all the boxes for the player and it certainly does for me. It is surely a step down from Morrowind from an RPG perspective, but I think the game makes up for it with a simplified control system from that which is found in Morrowind and blinds you with copious amounts of bloom. The dialog is Oblivion isn't perfect, no game is. But I think a 10/10 score is for when it ticks the all the boxes for the player and it certainly does for me. It is surely a step down from Morrowind from an RPG perspective, but I think the game makes up for it with a simplified control system from that which is found in Morrowind and blinds you with copious amounts of bloom. The dialog is hopeless but you have to admit that it's alot better than having to read a novel each time you inqure about something. Graphics? Good on the consoles and better on the PC even by 2009 standards. The leveling system is fine and if you don't like it then reduce the difficulty, unless you don't dare to stoop so low as to do something like that. On the whole I think Oblivion tries appeal to a wider audience but ends up alienating some fans of older TES', but is still a very good game and should be tried at least. Expand
  57. AnonymousMC
    Jul 29, 2009
    Good game, great gameplay, nice quest, the expansions are cool (shirvering isles) you get your moneys worth of gameplay (around maybe 250+ hours if u do every quest) but the game isnt perfect, i played it un patached and un modded and even though it rain fairly, i felt the graphics werent as good as i could get them to be (even though i have a lower end dell, i can get insanly goodGood game, great gameplay, nice quest, the expansions are cool (shirvering isles) you get your moneys worth of gameplay (around maybe 250+ hours if u do every quest) but the game isnt perfect, i played it un patached and un modded and even though it rain fairly, i felt the graphics werent as good as i could get them to be (even though i have a lower end dell, i can get insanly good graphics in games like call of duty, and left 4 dead etc) sometimes if i opened it through steam it would close to my desktop wich would be annoying when im exploring a cave because i would need to start over. Also not enough voice actors, one time when i was in cloud ruler temple i heard to charcters with the same voice actor have a conversation. Leveling system can get annoying aswell.
    the quest in the game are good, only memerable ones are the ones such as the main quest line, the dark brotherhood questline (which i play on every charcter i make because of how fun it is) have to admit though some enimes arent real creative, and i think bethsidia gave up too quickly (only one real expansion pack, knights of nine is really more of a bunch of addons on a CD with OBLVION stamped on the cover) campared to a fully expanded Fallout 3, not as good but is still a good game i would pick it up on steam as its at a fair price there.
  58. RC
    Aug 1, 2009
    This is a great game. Hell I don;t even need to mod it in order to have a good time. Ive played this game exactly 48 times over and each time was fun. The graphics are a little outdated now, but it's still not bad for today's generation. The quest are fun, but are lacking meaning, you're mostly doing it for money so you can buy new stuff. Some of the quest are just not This is a great game. Hell I don;t even need to mod it in order to have a good time. Ive played this game exactly 48 times over and each time was fun. The graphics are a little outdated now, but it's still not bad for today's generation. The quest are fun, but are lacking meaning, you're mostly doing it for money so you can buy new stuff. Some of the quest are just not interesting. The AI is great (when it came out) today it's ok, considering this was made in 2005. Overall though the game is long and you have a massive modding community to help keep it fresh all in all this game is great and can't wait for the next elder scrolls. Expand
  59. JacobL
    Sep 12, 2009
    Oblivion, is simply brilliant game! The plot line is imersive, the gameplay is thrilling, the adventuring is invigerating! When it was first released, most common computer systems had a hard time playing it. But now, with rigs that can play Crysis at 250 FPS, Oblivion's graphics system is merly a tick on ones RAM. I recomend all action/adventure gamers imediatly go to there local Oblivion, is simply brilliant game! The plot line is imersive, the gameplay is thrilling, the adventuring is invigerating! When it was first released, most common computer systems had a hard time playing it. But now, with rigs that can play Crysis at 250 FPS, Oblivion's graphics system is merly a tick on ones RAM. I recomend all action/adventure gamers imediatly go to there local game store and pick up a copy! Bravo Bethesda for creating such a wonderful game! Expand
  60. JoshAckerman
    Dec 18, 2006
    Oblivion is in my top three all time
  61. PedroViegas
    Dec 28, 2006
    This is the best rpg ever, an innovation and package of brand new experiences for role playing game lovers.
  62. Wes
    Mar 21, 2006
    awesome game. The world is giant and I am going a good portion of my life playing this game. This game smashes Morrowind to pieces. Completely meets the hype, and my expectations.
  63. JulesP.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Great game just played it for five houres amazing. Sets a new standard for rpg's
  64. DavidM.
    Mar 22, 2006
    I don't like to attack people in these reviews. However Aelius is completely off-base. First of all let me address one of his points: The NPCs do sometimes talk in non-sequitors or change voice pitches depending on topic. 95 percent of the time however, they are great and a HUGE leap forward over Elder Scrolls 3. That's really the only thing in Aelius's review with merit. I don't like to attack people in these reviews. However Aelius is completely off-base. First of all let me address one of his points: The NPCs do sometimes talk in non-sequitors or change voice pitches depending on topic. 95 percent of the time however, they are great and a HUGE leap forward over Elder Scrolls 3. That's really the only thing in Aelius's review with merit. The world is beautiful. The game has an incredible physics engine. Also, they made the combat much more intense and immediate than the wack-a-mole hits of ES3. Other points: What the heck does "cannot scale back like D3" mean? I don't even know what Aelius is talking about. Aelius's point about Doom 3 and Half Life 2 being technically better than this game is purely objective. This game's interiors match up well with Doom 3. There is realistic shadowing and great texture/animation work. Now against Half Life 2, that is an unfair comparison as HL2 has no free-form outdoor areas. A better comparison would be Far Cry and Oblivion holds it's own there as well. There is a 2 mile draw distance in this game and it looks great. The quests are also interesting and varied. There are problems but is this a 6/10 game? Absolutely not, and only a bitter over-hyped maniac would rate it as such. Expand
  65. JerryN.
    Mar 24, 2006
    This game is amazing. It's been hyped for a long time, and let me tell you, it delivers and then some. The graphics are spectacular. The addition of voice to every bit of dialogue is wonderful. The traveling sytem is great. The quest system is a wonderful improvement over Morrowind. Some of the peopl complain about some seriously rtivial factors. Factors that could only be an issue This game is amazing. It's been hyped for a long time, and let me tell you, it delivers and then some. The graphics are spectacular. The addition of voice to every bit of dialogue is wonderful. The traveling sytem is great. The quest system is a wonderful improvement over Morrowind. Some of the peopl complain about some seriously rtivial factors. Factors that could only be an issue ina game this daring and expansive, as no other has anyhting close to the sheer amount of depth and attention to detail. Even the side quests you'll likely never even find are really well done. The whole thinig just reeks of quality. It runs well on mid range systems, and has very scalable settings. In fact, why are you reading this and not buying/playing Oblivion right now? It's undoubtedly the best RPG ever made. Possibly the best game ever. It's not without it's small flaws, but those are easily dismissed when appreciating this game for what it is. If you can't do that, you are asking way too much and you should go back to playing all the other "perfect" RPGs. Expand
  66. MiKE
    Mar 25, 2006
    WOW WOW WOW!! The graphics are stunning, HUGE enivornments to wonder in, crystal clean music, with voices! Excellent game!!!
  67. HoracioP.
    Mar 25, 2006
    Es exelente. Un juego que no tiene desperdicios
  68. JoshV.
    Mar 27, 2006
    words can not properly describe my love for this game, it is a world into its self. no person can describe this world to someone who hasnt played it. so expansive that i played 45 hours the first weekend that i had it and i completed the main series of quests. it would have gotten a 10 but i tend to stand to close to doors when i open them and on a rare occasion when the door opens tword words can not properly describe my love for this game, it is a world into its self. no person can describe this world to someone who hasnt played it. so expansive that i played 45 hours the first weekend that i had it and i completed the main series of quests. it would have gotten a 10 but i tend to stand to close to doors when i open them and on a rare occasion when the door opens tword me i get smashed into the wall and end up clipping through into a giant ocean below the level also the menu was a pain, i dont need to elaborate on that the only other gripe was that there where too many people that looked too much like martin and i couldnt seem to get my person to look just right. Expand
  69. JasonW.
    Mar 29, 2006
    I have played the 360 version and the pc version, I dont see how anyone would give 360 version a higher rating, when the pc version was 10x more detailed and will be patched etc... while 360 will stick with its sound bugs among others it's having.
  70. DaveR.
    Apr 12, 2006
    How truly awe-inspiring this game would be if the AI weren't flawed and those sometimes not-so-sublte collision glitches were removed. Once the buzz of freedom ran out, I began wincing occassionally at problems both with gameplay and character creation.
  71. C.Leitch
    Apr 14, 2006
    This is a sweet game overall. however, if there was a list of every aspect of a game, and you had to rate it 0-10, there would be several catagories that would receive rather low, while the rest recieved 10. First up would be the system requirements. even the latest top of the range computer can render this beast at 30 fps on full. thats with a crossfire x1900. therefore, people withThis is a sweet game overall. however, if there was a list of every aspect of a game, and you had to rate it 0-10, there would be several catagories that would receive rather low, while the rest recieved 10. First up would be the system requirements. even the latest top of the range computer can render this beast at 30 fps on full. thats with a crossfire x1900. therefore, people with relativly good pci 16s like 6600s are forced to dramaticaly lower the grapic settings, to the point where the game designers desired atmosphere no longer exists because you can only see as far as you hand, whereas the game allows you to see distand mountains. another is the stability. i would be happy to run this game on full grapics, even if i did get a steady 5fps. only problem, is that it will only last about 5 mintues before it blue-screens on me. Im sure this would change if you had a more powerful graphics card, but it forces you to lower your graphics to the point where it runs well AND dosent constantly crash. another, is that much like its predecessor, if you play this game to win, it gets boring very very quickly. you have to from time to time make up your own rules , and not use the idiotic AI system to your advantage. another is the extreemly short main story line. although there is many many city and guild quests to be done, i found it amazing that i had not even been made to visit evey city before finishing the storyline. I was amazed when i found out that i had actually finished the storyline, rather than just a small section of it, probably because of the length of the morrowind campain. Although im sounding very critical, another thing that annoyed me very much was the character animations. Very many of these problems carry over from ES III. The game engne is just too smilar, almost as though they have taken the morrowind engine and added new graphics and features, but more or less left it as it was. if they had delayed for another couple o months to fix these problems, the game would be endless, because evry little thing you do would be enjoyable, with the current release, all these factors leak through the whole "seamless RPG" thing and tend to make it less absorbing. Having said all this, the graphics and world in this game are amazing. Expand
  72. Jared
    Apr 15, 2006
    Simply stunning. Great way to completely lose your life for a month.
  73. TelyS.
    Apr 23, 2006
    The best computer roleplaying game ever made. I
  74. MercZ
    May 12, 2006
    A great RPG for the ages. There are certain issues I feel, such as the level scaling system which makes it possible to beat the game at level 1. Don't listen to other people that say the game is completely ruined- it is still very fun and is probably the best RPG on the market currently. The graphics are good, the gameplay is great, and everything in the game is good. There are A great RPG for the ages. There are certain issues I feel, such as the level scaling system which makes it possible to beat the game at level 1. Don't listen to other people that say the game is completely ruined- it is still very fun and is probably the best RPG on the market currently. The graphics are good, the gameplay is great, and everything in the game is good. There are issues as I mentioned before, but these can be fixed with patches, expansions, and even mods. Remember, Morrowind wasn't perfect when it was released either. Expand
  75. PaulC.
    May 22, 2006
    Blew me away when I started. Once I was past the eye candy, though, I did think it was more similar to Morrowwind that I had thought it would be. Not a bad thing. It'sjust that I'd already played that instalment to DEATH. Also, add on improvements to Morrowwind like map notes were backed out of this version. So, in some minor respects this is a bit of a step back. Enjoyed the Blew me away when I started. Once I was past the eye candy, though, I did think it was more similar to Morrowwind that I had thought it would be. Not a bad thing. It'sjust that I'd already played that instalment to DEATH. Also, add on improvements to Morrowwind like map notes were backed out of this version. So, in some minor respects this is a bit of a step back. Enjoyed the hell out of it just the same. Collapse
  76. BL
    May 31, 2006
    Besides occasional lag issues, this is the most immersive and intriguing game I've played all year.
  77. DerekR.
    Jun 15, 2006
    This game is simply briliant. Not only are you free to do what ever you want but it is increadablly easy to edit the world that the game is played in. Like making weapons and armors custom for your charactor then placing them some where in the world. Most of all this game has beautiful landscapes, well if your computer can run them of course.
  78. GlenD.
    Jul 14, 2006
    Pros: Huge sprawling landscape, visually stunning at higher settings. Great storylines for guild quests. Somewhat multi-facetted. Open ended. Incredible mod support, someone with very little experience with the editor can figure out how to create new weapons, even new dungeons and caves! Cons: Requires some serious processing power, both CPU and GPU. The engine used is not very optimized. Pros: Huge sprawling landscape, visually stunning at higher settings. Great storylines for guild quests. Somewhat multi-facetted. Open ended. Incredible mod support, someone with very little experience with the editor can figure out how to create new weapons, even new dungeons and caves! Cons: Requires some serious processing power, both CPU and GPU. The engine used is not very optimized. The main quest is way too short. The fast travel feature is easy to overuse. Heck, the fast travel feature was implemented in a way that eliminates some encounters that were present in Morrowind. Seems like encounters are few and far between now, perhaps the landscape is the reason why, Morrowind was a valley/pass/mountain landscape; Oblivion is a forrest/hills/pretty landscape. Thus, in Oblivion you can easily zig zag to your final destination, in Morrowind there was 1 path. The fast travel feature, once used once, is used over and over! Because, if you take a stand and hoof it to a location, you find you might run into a bandit camp, okay, 3 enemies, or run past an ayleid ruin (a long dungeon with no real 'loot' at the end) Overall a wonderful experience, but I am now 3 weeks from starting the game, I've sent one char through the main quest, got another char to 18 and through the mage quests, another through the dark brotherhood and to level 21, and most recently a vampire to level 9 and through the thieves guild quests, and I have college right now and other responsibilities. So -- yes, with fast travel the game goes fast. Expand
  79. BrandonO.
    Jul 28, 2006
    ok first of all this game is the BEST i have played in total around 130 hours. I have no clue why some people say the gameplay suck i think it is awsome. graphics are perfect. physics are cool. A game like this is neat because you can go out and adventure but then you can also buy a house and 'Live The life'. just be a normal person. i used to have a lvl 32 mage character and ok first of all this game is the BEST i have played in total around 130 hours. I have no clue why some people say the gameplay suck i think it is awsome. graphics are perfect. physics are cool. A game like this is neat because you can go out and adventure but then you can also buy a house and 'Live The life'. just be a normal person. i used to have a lvl 32 mage character and after going into lots of caves getting gold and whatnot I bought the most expensive house and all the furniture for it and it was cool i had collected all the magic items and stored them there. well your probably bored hearing me talk on like this. one last thing. this game is gthe best game i have ever played in my life i havent put another Xbox 360 game into my console since i bought it. BUY THIS GAME!! Expand
  80. AS
    Aug 25, 2006
    Well, by now should be fairly clear that this game was made primarily with Xbox in mind. I must despite the hype about the graphic, I was quite disappointed. The
  81. PCG
    Nov 30, 2007
    Regardless about what all the nay-sayers have said, this game's great. I've played through the main storyline, then began learning to use the toolset, which, is rather fun, actually. People may dislike it, but this game is good--granted, I do prefer to use mods; such as the one that doesn't auto-level everything to make it beatable... That just irritates me... and the Regardless about what all the nay-sayers have said, this game's great. I've played through the main storyline, then began learning to use the toolset, which, is rather fun, actually. People may dislike it, but this game is good--granted, I do prefer to use mods; such as the one that doesn't auto-level everything to make it beatable... That just irritates me... and the non-telepathic guards plugin. Yeah, this game has its problems... But tell me--what game does not? What game is not improved by fan-made content? In closing, I'd like to say that people who play the game for 2 hours, go off the main road three times, and just try to stick to the storyline, they just aren't going to get a fun game. You have to explore the world, see it through the eyes of an adventurer... ... This game has eaten up so much of my free time that it's irritating me. Expand
  82. J.K.
    Mar 25, 2007
    Oblivion good, but definitely not on the level of the hype it's received. The game is great fun while it lasts, but after playing through the main quest and each of the main factions, you're just about done. Yeah, that's a lot of hours, but the so called "limitless exploration," reviews that you see all over the place really aren't accurate. Definitely worth a buy, but Oblivion good, but definitely not on the level of the hype it's received. The game is great fun while it lasts, but after playing through the main quest and each of the main factions, you're just about done. Yeah, that's a lot of hours, but the so called "limitless exploration," reviews that you see all over the place really aren't accurate. Definitely worth a buy, but this game could have been perfect if there were real roleplaying elements; the quests mostly don't have multiple ways of completion, and player-NPC conversation is limited to single word choices. Expand
  83. RyanB
    Sep 29, 2007
    Best game I've ever played. Graphics are amazing, almost no lag for the amount of detail is put into everything. Vast amount of weapons, armors, AI, and quests. The weapons have outstanding amount of detail, along with the armors and such. The only real disappointment I had about this game was the short main story. But the 200+ side quests more than make up for it. If I had played Best game I've ever played. Graphics are amazing, almost no lag for the amount of detail is put into everything. Vast amount of weapons, armors, AI, and quests. The weapons have outstanding amount of detail, along with the armors and such. The only real disappointment I had about this game was the short main story. But the 200+ side quests more than make up for it. If I had played through the main quest without stopping to do side quests it maybe would have taken 4-5 hours. But, with the Shivering Isles expansion and the other expansions available for all three consoles, I've played the game for over 50 hours in total. Overall, This game is spectacular. I'd give it a 9.8 out of 10. Expand
  84. AndrewG.
    Jan 13, 2008
    7.6 average? OUTRAGE! Those who say that this game is an Action game, and not an RPG, seem to be unaware that the base mechanics of this series hasn't changed much since Daggerfall - indeed, both Daggerfall and Morrowind had just as much cause for hacking. Simply because Oblivion does it's hacking element more effectively doesn't make it an action game. I mean, duh. 7.6 average? OUTRAGE! Those who say that this game is an Action game, and not an RPG, seem to be unaware that the base mechanics of this series hasn't changed much since Daggerfall - indeed, both Daggerfall and Morrowind had just as much cause for hacking. Simply because Oblivion does it's hacking element more effectively doesn't make it an action game. I mean, duh. However, it has been 'softened' slightly around the corners - some fewer skills, fewer item types, and linear quest lines take this game further from its Daggerfall/Arena premise of a virtual 'world' in which anything goes - it is missing some grit and depth which the others had in abundance. But I cannot give this game anything but a 10, because this is still the best hope there is - the modding community is flourishing, and hopefully Bethesda will make TES:V deeper than this - though, I must stress, the guild questlines are fabulous this time around. I say, superior to Morrowind, but not to Daggerfall, which I where I'm from, actually. OMG - Daggerfall isn't in Metacritic! Why on earth not?? Anyway - I've played 200 hours, and will re-play when I harvest a couple of hundred mods and a better computer to take on the 512mb textures. Expand
  85. LeonardoFerreira
    Oct 16, 2008
    Oblivion is from FAR the best rpg game ive ever played on my whole life ,its all about the freedom;you can either follow the main quest or just say "F*CK OFF" main quest and go and explore the world ,doing LOTS and LOTS of side-quests wich are as good or even better than the main quest ,and are DEFINITELY bigger than the main quest.Also ,there are LOTS of mods wich gives like 2 months orOblivion is from FAR the best rpg game ive ever played on my whole life ,its all about the freedom;you can either follow the main quest or just say "F*CK OFF" main quest and go and explore the world ,doing LOTS and LOTS of side-quests wich are as good or even better than the main quest ,and are DEFINITELY bigger than the main quest.Also ,there are LOTS of mods wich gives like 2 months or more of more gameplay.PLUS ,the construction set (cs) wich comes with the game is absolutely amazing ,it lets completely RETARDS do whole new houses/castles/dungeons/quests/items/etc Expand
  86. Kevin
    Jun 12, 2008
    Oblivion is a truly wonderful game. There are countless things to do, and mods can truly add some great experiences. If you like RPGs, you should not miss this game.
  87. MatthewM
    Jun 12, 2009
    likely the single best game i ever played. I shall admit that there were bugs and the sort. I shall admit that after three years the graphics dont hold up. But the sheer thrill of ignoring the main quest, the sides quests and avoiding the guides to track down and become a vampire made Oblivion the most fun i have ever had. On top of the stupidly brilliant free roam structure, the game likely the single best game i ever played. I shall admit that there were bugs and the sort. I shall admit that after three years the graphics dont hold up. But the sheer thrill of ignoring the main quest, the sides quests and avoiding the guides to track down and become a vampire made Oblivion the most fun i have ever had. On top of the stupidly brilliant free roam structure, the game includes the best and most innovative quests i have ever played. A small few of these are the Goblin war quest, The BRILLIANT Dark Brotherhood questline and the oh so killable 'annoying fan'. Sheer gaming gold. Expand
  88. Bor
    Jun 16, 2009
    The Best Game!!!
  89. HenryS
    Sep 12, 2009
    This is the best RPG ever, EVER. I have finished this game on three difirent platforms (360 (RROD), PS3 (YLOD) and PC. And not once have I found this game repetive. Every time I play again I find a new quest a new itme, or I just repeat the same quests just for the hell of it. Those who think this game is Lacklustre obiously have no taste in games or this isn't their genre for in This is the best RPG ever, EVER. I have finished this game on three difirent platforms (360 (RROD), PS3 (YLOD) and PC. And not once have I found this game repetive. Every time I play again I find a new quest a new itme, or I just repeat the same quests just for the hell of it. Those who think this game is Lacklustre obiously have no taste in games or this isn't their genre for in which case shouldn't be reviewing it. Best RPG ever. Expand
  90. MC
    Nov 12, 2006
    While not perfect (due to a few minor issues with gameplay and a general "emptiness" of the game world), this game is certainly a must-have for all those who like freedom of exploration. Outstanding graphics, excellent soundtrack and the epic scale of the environments (especially outdoors) make Oblivion an excellent sequel to Morrowind. Kudos to Bethesda Software!
  91. ChrisK.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Perfect example for a game saved soley by the contributions of fans. A year or so ago, as soon as I fully realized the grave implications of the leveling system (enemies are always adjusted to your level, making for a very pointless RPG experience), I uninstalled the game in disgust and disappointment (Come to think of it, the mod-less console versions are bound to be horrible) Now, after Perfect example for a game saved soley by the contributions of fans. A year or so ago, as soon as I fully realized the grave implications of the leveling system (enemies are always adjusted to your level, making for a very pointless RPG experience), I uninstalled the game in disgust and disappointment (Come to think of it, the mod-less console versions are bound to be horrible) Now, after randomly breezing through the Oblivion Wiki, I decided to give it another try. And boy, was it worth it. I can fully recommend the game now - with about a ton of mods you can perfectly adjust the it to your preferences as you see fit. Makes for a decent gaming experience, still, just don´t expect anything terribly new or innovative - the game leaves enough room for improvement. Here´s hoping that Bethesda improve with TES V. Expand
  92. JonasH.
    Dec 21, 2007
    It seems that most people voting down this game, are mostly complaining about it being a non-real RPG, presumably because it is a hybrid of a couple of game genres (RPG, sandbox and FPS). As for an introduction I feel like I have to defend this design: Because an RPG is not based on some complex system of chance, defined by a series of attributes, which could not vaguely be understood by It seems that most people voting down this game, are mostly complaining about it being a non-real RPG, presumably because it is a hybrid of a couple of game genres (RPG, sandbox and FPS). As for an introduction I feel like I have to defend this design: Because an RPG is not based on some complex system of chance, defined by a series of attributes, which could not vaguely be understood by anyone who has not played a book or board RPG, does not make it any less of a "true" RPG. And just because the character's ability to aim/time is not only based on "2+1=3 (miss)", but actually is a reflection of the gamer's abilities, it is not necessarily worse than, say, Neverwinter Nights. Hybriding genres rarely brings anything good with it, right, but in some cases, like this, it brings a powerful combination, that delivers months of excellent gameplay. I, for example, did not go stubborn when the Total War series came out, even though it mixed my favourite genre (RTS) with the genre I found the most boring (TBS), I tried it out, and today it has a place among my most favourite game. Yeah, all genres in a hybrid has to give something up, but just because you can't have your advanced roll-a-dice battle systems doesn't make it a complete non-RPG. In fact, I have never felt as much in the role of a character as I feel playing this game. I guess the above paragraph filled more than the rest of the review will, but here we go: The game is, most definitely, the one that by standard is most customisable. YOU decide 100% how you want to look, much like The Sims 2, only the controls are a bit more advanced and hard to manage, you decide what path you'll take, how you would like for yourself to level up etc. etc. What I found most astonishing was the absolute free choice you have regarding how you make money, fight enemies and form alliances. If you want to make money fighting, join the gladiators and you'll make a swift 5000. Want to make money looting robers? Walk by the roads looking for bandit camps. Even as thief you can make a pretty descent living, as long as you train your Security, Alteration and Sneak skills. The choice is pretty much yours, and the best part is: You can do whatever you want, and are NOT locked to following any history as such. The game itself contains a lot of mini games to take care of things like diplomacy (speechcraft) and lockpicking, so it is, again, the gamer's skill and not a random number that decides whether or not you are successful. (Although you can choose to make an attempt based on your security skill alone). The reason, despite my complete obsession with this game, I only give it 9, is the severe amount of bugs existent. It annoyed me beyond reason being told to pay a fine of 1 gold EVERY time I spoke to a guard in the beginning. Although that bug went away after a while. Considering the graphics, I do not have a powerful enough GPU to run it at high/full quality, so I'll avoid commenting on it. Expand
  93. Aug 26, 2010
    great game, great concepts, great interactivity. However if you're more into a storyline than a i want to play this forever game then this isn't for you. For me without constant DLC it gets really old really fast especially when you have done all Daedra, main story, guild quests. Some may say there is a world of replay value here but i would disagree sorry.
  94. Dec 22, 2013
    Newcomers to the Elder Scrolls world should be warned of the existence of a menace that should not be allowed to influence their opinion of the series or its individual game. This is the sub-variety of fanboy I have dubbed the "Morrowindbag." The attitude of a Morrowindbag is that Morrowind was a great game (I agree with that) and that every other Elder Scrolls game after it was garbage.Newcomers to the Elder Scrolls world should be warned of the existence of a menace that should not be allowed to influence their opinion of the series or its individual game. This is the sub-variety of fanboy I have dubbed the "Morrowindbag." The attitude of a Morrowindbag is that Morrowind was a great game (I agree with that) and that every other Elder Scrolls game after it was garbage. 95% of the time, this is pure fanboy snobbery. Morrowind was an outstanding game for its time and is well worth playing today. But its complexities merely reflect the complex society in which it was set, the Dark Elves of Morrowind. The idea that the urbane Imperials of Cyrodiil, much less the "hearty" (or stupid) Nords of Skyrim should behave like Dark Elves is ludicrous. But that's your fanboy for you. He learns one game, and instead of taking a flexible approach, he sits in his little fortress and spends the rest of his days sneering at everyone else. OK, dude, it's a free country. But outsiders trying to get some idea of what the ES series is all about are well advised to ignore him.

Not that some good ideas from Morrowind, and Oblivion, haven't been mistakenly set aside. I much prefer Morrowind's drag and drop approach to equipping your character to Skyrim's dress-in-the-dark, which sometimes leads you to wandering around outside in your underwear. I don't think that Skyrim should have thrown out custom spellmaking, either it was ridiculously overpowered in Oblivion, but the answer to that is to tone it down, not to throw it out. But many of the Morrowindbag's criticisms are on the level of "the armor in Skyrim is too simple!" If you can get so attached to one game that you can't accept the next one unless it has pauldrons, then you damn well need professional help.
  95. Aug 5, 2013
    This game was my introduction to the elder scrolls series.
    Story-
    7/10 as far as story goes I'd give oblivion a 7/10 monarch X has been killed the hero must now find his heir and stop event Y from happening. The story has a couple memorable characters such as Baruas, Mankar Cameron, Lucius and Jauffre, but outside of that none really seem that unique or different. Gameplay 9/10 The
    This game was my introduction to the elder scrolls series.
    Story-

Gameplay
    The gate mechanic is fun and original, I never thought closing gates got old. Another great mechanic is the radiant AI, they make you feel like you are actually in a living, breathing world.

Quests
    Some quests in the game are better than others for example, in my opinion, the fighter.s guild, thieve's guild (until the last couple of quests) and mage's guild are fairly lack luster; while The Dark Brotherhood, The main quest line, various NPC quests, and the Deadric quests are very fun.

The Sound
    Amazing OST, simply epic

Dungeon Design
    non-linear dungeons with traps and lots of loot keep these very entertaining at first, but start to feel repetitive by the end of the game.

Graphics
    at its time 10/10, but even with aging I can't give it below a 8/10

Challenge
    The difficulty slider is there for experienced RPG players, but once you get to the late game where you have money out your ears the game becomes fairly easy once more.

Verdict
    8.6/10
  96. Nov 3, 2013
    Sadly, while bethesda sorted out the control system and and voice acting for this installment of the elder scrolls, they removed the heart and character from it. It's still a good game with a lot of content but compared to other installments this is the ugly step-child.
  97. Jul 8, 2014
    Vanilla Oblivion is nothing outstanding on its own with its poor leveling system and overly saturated visuals. Installing mods makes Oblivion a much better experience overall though. You can then experience the game's interesting questlines without having to run into the aforementioned issues.
  98. Oct 30, 2013
    Loved it.
    Tons to do. Lots of side quests of all shapes and sizes.
    Good main story, and climatic ending that has an epic look and feel to it. Virtually a total open world. So much to do, especially for the Easily 100+ hours of playtime. You can even finish the main quest first and still have 2/3 of the game left to play. And the Shimmering Isle questline/expansion really feels like
    Loved it.
    Tons to do. Lots of side quests of all shapes and sizes.
    Good main story, and climatic ending that has an epic look and feel to it.
    And the Shimmering Isle questline/expansion really feels like another game in itself. Since it comes with the gamer on Steam it is another reason to buy, especially when it's on sale.
    Easy to start/stop for casual gamers too.

*There was the occasional graphical bug glitch, and one of my weapons copied itself twice.
  99. Oct 23, 2014
    I am giving Oblivion and 8, Skyrim a 9.5 and Morrowind a 10. Personally, I still feel that although Oblivion was a great game, it was a step back for the series. The level-scaling enemies, bland dungeons and procedurally-generated loot were awful. But fortunately, the soundtrack was time-stoppingly awesome, the combat was improved and the land was a sight to see. I modded my game to theI am giving Oblivion and 8, Skyrim a 9.5 and Morrowind a 10. Personally, I still feel that although Oblivion was a great game, it was a step back for the series. The level-scaling enemies, bland dungeons and procedurally-generated loot were awful. But fortunately, the soundtrack was time-stoppingly awesome, the combat was improved and the land was a sight to see. I modded my game to the high-heavens and for me, that was what made my experience so much better as it added so many things that I felt, the game lacked. Praise the modders! I hope Bethesda will not forget its lessons moving forward to Elder Scrolls VI. Expand
  100. Oct 9, 2013
    This is my favourite game of all time, it covers all aspects a game should. The combat, world design, level design, character design, controls, and soundtrack all work together to make what in my opinion is a flawless game. For those who hate on Oblivion, because they are veterans of the series and prefer Morrowind or because they joined the bandwagon when Skyrim came out, at least give itThis is my favourite game of all time, it covers all aspects a game should. The combat, world design, level design, character design, controls, and soundtrack all work together to make what in my opinion is a flawless game. For those who hate on Oblivion, because they are veterans of the series and prefer Morrowind or because they joined the bandwagon when Skyrim came out, at least give it a try. Fantastic game Expand

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.