8.0

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2099 Ratings

1. Apr 26, 2011
    I can't really give it anything less after putting 100+ hours into it and enjoying every minute of it. of course it does have some flaws including repetitive dungeons, not rewarding exploration enough, bad levelling system and game play bugs. overall it is a fantastic game.
  2. Mar 13, 2011
    You will love or hate this game and one factor will determine which of the 2 it will be and that is if you mind a game lacking structure and be exceptionally open ended if you want a strong coherent story that is in any way linear this is not your game. However if you do not mind going so far as to even completely abandon even the main quest line for a while this is your game you can spendYou will love or hate this game and one factor will determine which of the 2 it will be and that is if you mind a game lacking structure and be exceptionally open ended if you want a strong coherent story that is in any way linear this is not your game. However if you do not mind going so far as to even completely abandon even the main quest line for a while this is your game you can spend hours hot accepting one quest just mindlessly wasting time killing thing and exploring dungeons if you do not mind a game being a complete time sink. the simple ability to be absolutely any class and just do whatever the hell you want is where this game shines. Expand
  3. May 1, 2011
    Honestly, I don't understand most of the negative criticism for this game. A HUGE improvement on TES3: Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging (until you are extremely high level). Coupled with a do-anything-you-want style world, this game willHonestly, I don't understand most of the negative criticism for this game. A HUGE improvement on TES3: Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging (until you are extremely high level). Coupled with a do-anything-you-want style world, this game will entertain for hours. My only complaint is that it ended so soon. The world is much smaller than its predecessor, Morrowind. Players of that game will find the world somewhat confining, and you definitely won't get the 500+ hours of gameplay like you did in that title. An awesome game, though. Can't wait for TES V! Expand
  4. Apr 21, 2011
    The awful level-up system and vast number of unfixed bugs prevent me from giving this game a perfect score. Don't let that dissuade you, though - it's a fantastic game which provided me with over 100 hours of gameplay before I became even remotely bored.
  5. Jun 1, 2011
    i think this is one of the best RPG games i ever played. U can be almost what u want...Assassin, mage or warrior...The quest are good, but the main quest is a little bit ....how can i say...not the best.
  6. CJW
    Aug 18, 2009
    Definitely the one of the best, if not the best game, I have ever played. A must play for fans of RPG's, or anyone who is looking for an RPG experience that isn't hardcore. Even though there's a couple of little niggles, it still fells finished, polished, and the DLC adds so much more depth to the game.
  7. Feb 17, 2012
    From when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexusFrom when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexus oblivion mods). As an unmodded game it's a 8/10 in the current climate. As a modded game. It's a 10/10. This score reflects the modded version. Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2011
    100+ hours of content before you even added the DLCs, decent graphics for the release year, okay combat system, very atmospheric music and sound, totally moddable so you can get updates to just about everything. Just about the perfect RPG of the decade.
  9. May 15, 2011
    Oblivion is a classic. There is so much to do and such a big world that it is very liberating. With no real classes, you can do almost anything given enough time and training. The flora and fauna of Cyrodil is diverse and interesting. The graphics, at the time were quite impressive and for a 5 year old game, they're still very decent. Some of the quests are fun and varied, though the curseOblivion is a classic. There is so much to do and such a big world that it is very liberating. With no real classes, you can do almost anything given enough time and training. The flora and fauna of Cyrodil is diverse and interesting. The graphics, at the time were quite impressive and for a 5 year old game, they're still very decent. Some of the quests are fun and varied, though the curse of repetitive quests in rpgs still plagues this game. If there isn't enough game for you, even with the expansions, there are many mods out there to help you tailor the game to your desires. Expand
  10. May 17, 2011
    Oblivion was my favourite game when it was released. After 5 years, I have just gone back to play it again, and it is just as magical as before. The storyline is amazing, and the seamless way in which you can pursue adventure down so many smaller story arcs is just fantastic.

The feature that gives this game so much replay value, however, is the ability to mod. There are so many available and they breath new life into the game at every turn.
  11. Jul 2, 2011
    Its a large game with a big world many quest and many item. its an open world wich i liked the most. plus mods you can download mant more items quests and world spaces, so best game ever.
  12. Nov 8, 2011
    Great game, it is rpg and is more or less a decide your own path kind of game, only a few things i didn't like about it which didn't make me give a 10/10 is: It is a bit unrealistic how fast you level up in things and how when your sword is almost broken it looks perfectly fine, another is the graphics and graphical problems like how all water looked pink to me.
  13. Dec 21, 2011
    This was my first Elder Scrolls game and when i first played i was totally amazed by the freedom the game gives you... the modding support if still strong which brings lots of replayability value.
  14. Jun 9, 2012
    Played this game for like 50 hours and unfortunately I have to say the gameplay is broken. Why? Because investing in the illusion & invisibility can make any quest too easy. Going through the main campaign was a breeze (even on hardest difficulty) simply because I could turn invisible, turn enemies against each other and do the entire game without having to fight an enemy.

When you're

When you're able to do that, and there's no way for the enemy to stop you, how will this game be challenging? I'm not gonna pretend I don't have these powers just to enjoy the game, it's broken gameplay. On top of that, I didn't even have to level up at all, which is done by sleeping. They should've done it so you automatically level up as soon as you get the experience. Now you can just avoid leveling up. Why would you want to do that? Because your enemies and creatures become better and stronger the more you level up. You can stop this process by not going to bed.

Anyways, it was fun while it lasted. Now it's just boring.
  15. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the game. Simple as that. Although Skyrim is better, as it should be, Oblivion was an awesome game. I loved the environment and meeting the people in it. I especially loved the quests in the game as it was fun to be the Grand Champion of the Arena, the Gray Fox of the Thieves Guild, Master of the Fighter's Guild, Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, and the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood. I also loved the expansive DLCs like Shivering Isles and the Knights of the Nine. Of all the characters in the game, I just LOVED Sheogorath's personality. It made my day everytime I saw him, especially when he was included in Skyrim. The Knights of the Nine was boring at first collecting all the gear. But the sky battle with Umaril was completely epic! So overall, I loved the game and I hope to see the series continued on for years. Expand
  16. May 18, 2012
    I'm really too lazy to explain the reason i rate it 10/10 but it's well worth, the fact that you can do almost anything is already enough, all the negative emotions i got only from characters visualisation the faces were really ugly but hell, there's like thousands of mods for that. Good job!
  17. Dec 16, 2011
    A bit overhyped, but actually quite good in my opinion. Yes it has its flaws - level scaling, UI, animations are silly, main story is quite cheap, atmosphere still not as good as Morrowind etc. Yet still the world is unbelievably huge and very well made. It requires a special approach to this game to fully enjoy it, but it is worth it.
  18. Mar 20, 2012
    The story in this game is good, but presented in a boring way where you see everything from one perspective. I've never been a fan of this kind of storytelling, but then again it's not why I play Bethesda games. It is the giant open world packed with quests that draw me in. The skills are nicely done, but some are unnecessary and the leveling system don't work properly. Combat is ok, butThe story in this game is good, but presented in a boring way where you see everything from one perspective. I've never been a fan of this kind of storytelling, but then again it's not why I play Bethesda games. It is the giant open world packed with quests that draw me in. The skills are nicely done, but some are unnecessary and the leveling system don't work properly. Combat is ok, but when you take all things in consideration Oblivion is a very good game. Small problems like the combat and leveling system is overshadowed by the size of the world and all the stuff you can do within the game! Expand
  19. Aug 16, 2012
    I have never played a game that I didn't finish but enjoyed soo much. I played over 200 hours with the different modules and only quit because my computer died. Thank goodness it died because I fear that I would still be playing. The world was so vast, so easy to enter and so easy to loose all my free time. I loved every minute.
  20. Sep 2, 2012
    Even though i am a huge fan of all rpgs and especially the elder scrolls, oblivion is the game that stands out for me. The gameplay is amazing with hundreds of different game styles to adopt which make the game a completely different experience. Some people might like to snipe their targets from afar, some might like to hack their way through the game while you can even be a powerful mageEven though i am a huge fan of all rpgs and especially the elder scrolls, oblivion is the game that stands out for me. The gameplay is amazing with hundreds of different game styles to adopt which make the game a completely different experience. Some people might like to snipe their targets from afar, some might like to hack their way through the game while you can even be a powerful mage and summon ferocious monsters to do the work for you! The map is gigantic and very detailed and when you first enter the game you feel lost in its vastness. Furthermore, there are hundreds of quests that you can do besides the main quest which will earn you large amounts of gold and hidden treasures which will in their turn aid you in your travels. The dialogues are very nice, the graphics very good considering the immersity of the environment the lack of frame drops even in average computers. The music will stick in your ears for days and you will generally find the game to be very entertaining. Personally, even after having spents hundreds of hours on skyrim, i still prefer this game to it, since it has an epic feel to it and it's one of few fantasy games which really create a believable world! It's an even better experience if you enjoy the game with expansions and many mods that have improved it in so many ways and taken care of some little bugs and glitches. I URGE you to try it! Expand
  21. Sep 11, 2012
    This İs Not a Game.This İs Another World.
  22. Apr 3, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has its flaws, but what it does right, dear God, it does SO right. This game is one of a kind, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. A must play.
  23. vendingmaching
    Oct 20, 2007
    The BEST game i have EVER played in my entire life. The caves are the best part and the graphics are awesome.
  24. megatron
    Apr 1, 2006
    its one of the best prg that i ever saw,in my life and i have seen a lot..played the morrowind,it took me a lot of time which i wont regret on neglecting other real time expieriences,something that i ll probably do with oblivion also..great game...Also something to mention to giancarlo b,and all other pc fan boys;maybe if u looked at the xbox360 version on a 52" something monitor u wouldits one of the best prg that i ever saw,in my life and i have seen a lot..played the morrowind,it took me a lot of time which i wont regret on neglecting other real time expieriences,something that i ll probably do with oblivion also..great game...Also something to mention to giancarlo b,and all other pc fan boys;maybe if u looked at the xbox360 version on a 52" something monitor u would nt be happy with the result....i trashed my friends pc version,with no antialising and hdr at the same time running has at 1024*768....on 6800 ultra,with newst drivers,2gigabyte ram and amd anything at full,(sorryyyyyy!!!)playing my xbox version on my 1600*1200 pc monitor at 1280 p wtih a component 2 vga transoder....my mate is still gathering the pieces of his jaw from the ground....and he version was at least choppy,(the horse ride,.....yuk...)As for the controls,i can still beat most of pc wannabe either mouse,or joypad...if you practice it will come....and i come clean at both(although i still b lieve that mouse key +fps,are currntly the best combination) ....just 2 set somethings straight....and 4 the record,try not compering cheap tv or oversyzed set ups with a smaller pc monitor,cause u would b surpised how auful a good image shows at three to 4 times bigger screen..now matter the resolution...try hooking up the pc on a 36 or bigger monitor with the same resolution and u ll see what i mean...support games,not tech specs.. Expand
  25. Xavier
    Jun 11, 2009
    Great, no brilliant game, leveling system gets annoying some time, love the addons. Great graphics, though it seemed to be missing something, and the few odd glitches got annoying.
  26. MorganGonzales
    Oct 3, 2005
    This game is the most beautiful game i have ever seen, from the perfect lighting to the forests. The gameplay looks even better with the new combat system that combines all the fighting elements and the ragdoll system as well as the traps and physics for them in the dungeons. The NPCs arent just generic characters they do everything from casting spells to sleeping when they feel like it,This game is the most beautiful game i have ever seen, from the perfect lighting to the forests. The gameplay looks even better with the new combat system that combines all the fighting elements and the ragdoll system as well as the traps and physics for them in the dungeons. The NPCs arent just generic characters they do everything from casting spells to sleeping when they feel like it, they really look to embody what every rpg has tried to do. But oblivion suceeds at it. Gonna be the best game of 2005 and probably top 10 of all PC games for awhile Expand
  27. ZacharyLocklear
    Oct 7, 2005
    I believe that this game will be much better than the third because the graphics seem almost real from what I have seen and I like that it will have a bigger land mass than the third. I just wish that they had made it have optimal cooperative gameplay.
  28. HarmLokesz
    Mar 23, 2006
    This is a very special game. Did not expect that this was possible. The AI's really have a personality and express emotion. Don''t fall in love when you are married. Just sat there an a hill and watched the stars.
    - AMD 64 3500+ , ASUS 6600GT @ 1024 x 768
    One word "Perfect".
  29. MichealW.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Awesome game, good graphics and awesome gameplay and perfect sound by the game.
  30. MichaelC.
    Aug 21, 2007
    A masterpiece. This is not a game for everyone however, you have to like exploring, finding new things, talking with the NPCs to get random quests (such as my rats are being killed by something!). To all those who just pummeled it through the main storyline and got bored, that's not what the elder scrolls are all about, there are over 400 quests in total, go and explore, do the main A masterpiece. This is not a game for everyone however, you have to like exploring, finding new things, talking with the NPCs to get random quests (such as my rats are being killed by something!). To all those who just pummeled it through the main storyline and got bored, that's not what the elder scrolls are all about, there are over 400 quests in total, go and explore, do the main quests when you are head of all the guilds, found all of the master trainers, this game is about what you want out of it. If you are going to deliberately train your characters attributes at level 1, so no levelling up, then it's your fault, if you paly the game properly it is fantastic, just because you can screw up the game, doesn't mean you have to, it is sort of like loading up chapter 12 on half life 2, activating god mode, finishing it, and then calling half life 2 crap. The landscapes are fantastic, the AI does lack in some areas, you can run back and forth against some enemies and they will miss all thier attacks, but this doesn't detract from the overall experience, if you want to play an "oh look follow the arrow" game, then Oblivion isn't for you. This game is so excellent because it is so open, if you don't take advantage of that, that's your problem, not the game's. Expand
  31. AdrianL.
    Jul 4, 2008
    One of my favorite RPGs of all time with a great modding community. At first, male characters look horrible in my opinion and the game doesn't really pick up until you install some mods to fix up some of the characters.
  32. JeffB.
    Nov 19, 2007
    With the proper mods it is an absolute treat.
  33. JK.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Hundreds of hours of amazing game here! Tons of quests, and each one has its own story and interesting characters. Highly recommended.
  34. Dec 15, 2010
    Fantastic Game. The freedom we have to mount classes , magics and our own alternative paths and quests in the game are really unique. Plus , instead of other famous RPG like games, it brings us the experience of good first person combat.
  35. May 20, 2011
    A heroic fantasy masterpiece and an RPG modder's dream, sadly flawed by some poor design choices (eg, level scaling) and its reliance on a vague high fantasy aesthetic over the depth of lore and hand-crafted world of its predecessor Morrowind.

But the scope, potential, and fundamental gameplay value of Oblivion can hardly be overstated, especially when it's considered as a 5 year-old game. An imperfect classic.
  36. May 20, 2011
    I admit I love Oblivion, I played like hundreds of hours in it. However, there is the Oblivion out of the box which you grow tired of rather quickly, certainly after one full run through the main quest (which I liked but could be more elaborate) and some of the guild quests. And then there is the modded Oblivion which is simply amazing and a universe in itself. Out of the box the game is aI admit I love Oblivion, I played like hundreds of hours in it. However, there is the Oblivion out of the box which you grow tired of rather quickly, certainly after one full run through the main quest (which I liked but could be more elaborate) and some of the guild quests. And then there is the modded Oblivion which is simply amazing and a universe in itself. Out of the box the game is a 6 or 7 maybe (I much agree with what reviewer Phlakes is saying), but the modded game is the best game ever, if you take the time to learn modding which can get intricate and intimidating. So I give it a 9. Expand
  37. May 24, 2011
    This game is undoubtedly one of the greatest, if not the greatest, I've ever played. The game-play is fun, the character-creation system is ambitious, and the story is captivating (but perhaps a bit generic). The class system is entirely flexible, allowing you to take advantage of limitless possibilities. Bethesda's huge library of lore is so diverse and expansive; it could convince youThis game is undoubtedly one of the greatest, if not the greatest, I've ever played. The game-play is fun, the character-creation system is ambitious, and the story is captivating (but perhaps a bit generic). The class system is entirely flexible, allowing you to take advantage of limitless possibilities. Bethesda's huge library of lore is so diverse and expansive; it could convince you that Tamriel is a real place. There are a plethora of dungeons to explore, items to find, and monsters to slay. Only a handful of negative factors (lack of diverse voice-acting, awkward AI, etc.) stopped me from giving this game a perfect ten. There is absolutely no-one that I wouldn't recommend this game to; It's a great experience, and you'll easily put over a hundred hours into exploring the beautiful land of Cyrodiil. If the 2006 graphics aren't to your liking, there are plenty of mods over on TESNexus or Planet Elder Scrolls to improve them.

The defining factor that places Oblivion on the RPG Throne is it's open world. It's the very first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the game. There are choices to be made in every situation; your character could be a ruthless assassin, a righteous knight, or a brilliant mage; there are no boundaries. So buy Oblivion, you'll be glad you did.
  38. May 30, 2011
    This is what a game should be- you felt fully immersed, as though your decisions mattered- this is a great game, and a great modding community make it even better.
  39. Aug 17, 2013
    This game always loomed around the video store unnoticed, until I picked it up one day by chance. I never looked back since then, it is one of my all time favorites, and I will always treasure the memories and experiences this game gave me. Absolute 10/10.
  40. Sep 2, 2012
    I remember when I played this game when it first came out on pc, on a new system I had just built. This game at that time blew my mind. This was the first "open world" game I played, and the sheer magnitude was astonishing. The graphics and gameplay opened a whole new world for me. It does take some time to get going, but once you are moving you can't stop. The world map is huge and theirI remember when I played this game when it first came out on pc, on a new system I had just built. This game at that time blew my mind. This was the first "open world" game I played, and the sheer magnitude was astonishing. The graphics and gameplay opened a whole new world for me. It does take some time to get going, but once you are moving you can't stop. The world map is huge and their are TONS of locations. I do believe some of the cities and dungeons can be a bit repetitive and the fighting mechanics aren't the best, but for its time this was a truly great open world. I would like to see a bigger variety of armor and weapons, but there's still a lot here. It was also cool going through portals to oblivion to fight off evil, and this was just one piece to a giant puzzle. Overall I think the game could have been perfected, a lot of mods out now are interesting and worth trying, but it is still an very good adventure! Expand
  41. Mar 21, 2014
    This game is still better quality than some of the games that are produced and released today, although Skyrim was an amazing game I still had way more fun in Oblivion than Skyrim. Although the AI in this game was a bit buggy and sometimes quests bugged out it is so much fun that it is easy to overlook these things. The two bad things about this game is that it's so addictive that you canThis game is still better quality than some of the games that are produced and released today, although Skyrim was an amazing game I still had way more fun in Oblivion than Skyrim. Although the AI in this game was a bit buggy and sometimes quests bugged out it is so much fun that it is easy to overlook these things. The two bad things about this game is that it's so addictive that you can get lost in it for too long and horse armour DLC. Expand
  42. Oct 6, 2012
    TES IV Oblivion is one of the best game that i played ever. This game should be on the same shelf with Mass Effect, Fallout 2, Max Payne and Vice City.
  43. Dec 17, 2012
    The game is action packed, has an amazing storyline with more than enough different paths you can pick to walk, all by yourself. Oblivion has has been pulled down by many because the environment levels as you level, as in the monsters in the world become stronger as you do. I can't say that shouldn't have been different, but it didn't pull the game rating down for me, because it did notThe game is action packed, has an amazing storyline with more than enough different paths you can pick to walk, all by yourself. Oblivion has has been pulled down by many because the environment levels as you level, as in the monsters in the world become stronger as you do. I can't say that shouldn't have been different, but it didn't pull the game rating down for me, because it did not decrease the ammount of fun I had with the game. For its' time, Oblivion ruled the gaming world. Expand
  44. Feb 2, 2013
    An amazing game, fun to play, could spend 100+ hours in it and still be playing. It's even better if you bought it for PC, as there are tons of community mods for it, adding loads of new content, bug fixes, and more!
  45. Ndi
    Jun 12, 2013
    The game is great, superb graphics, well optimized, stable. But that gives it an 8.

The 9 is because of immersion. No only is the game absolutely immersive, more so than any other TES games (Skyrim included) but it's so impressive that sometimes I just stop and look around, soaking the atmosphere. Sunset by the sea, with the sun making its reflection on water orange-red, storm in the woods, with an amazing sound and the trees swaying in the wind, grass shaking and animals running for cover. This makes the game more than a walk-talk-fight game if you take the time.

And the 10 is because Oblivion is one of the most expanded and modified game ever made. Thousands of skins, bodies, armors, weapons, locations, adventure, missions, even the books have content that can be added, effects, magic, textures, SFX, sound, music, everything.

If you have the computing power, a high resolution pack makes this game a marvel even in 2013, 7 years after its release and the community keeps it fresh every day.

This game deserves its place among the titans.
  46. Jul 26, 2013
    I have played many RPG in my life and this one always remains a classic. This is leaps and bonds over the final fantasy, fables and even Morrowind. Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere was alot less enaging than in oblivion. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging.
  47. Mar 16, 2014
    Oblivion is the best game i've ever played. As the fourth entry into the Elder Scrolls series, it certainly improves over Morrowind in almost every way. It's easy to spend hundreds of hours into the game and even more with mods. The lore and quest are all interesting and unique especially the Shivering Isles DLC. Oblivion is the perfect balance between Morrowind and Skyrim and, in myOblivion is the best game i've ever played. As the fourth entry into the Elder Scrolls series, it certainly improves over Morrowind in almost every way. It's easy to spend hundreds of hours into the game and even more with mods. The lore and quest are all interesting and unique especially the Shivering Isles DLC. Oblivion is the perfect balance between Morrowind and Skyrim and, in my opinion, the strongest of the three. Expand
  48. Apr 10, 2011
    Peanut butter by itself is delicious, but when you combine it with stuff like nutella, it becomes amazing. So it is with Oblivion and its mods. Oblivion is currently 5 years old and has TWENTY TWO THOUSAND mods on tesnexus alone. Literally anything you want oblivion to be, it can be. It is a great game, but can become bland by itself, but not until you've run through the main quest andPeanut butter by itself is delicious, but when you combine it with stuff like nutella, it becomes amazing. So it is with Oblivion and its mods. Oblivion is currently 5 years old and has TWENTY TWO THOUSAND mods on tesnexus alone. Literally anything you want oblivion to be, it can be. It is a great game, but can become bland by itself, but not until you've run through the main quest and become the head of all the guilds, but the real allure is the open ended gameplay and the mods.

I recommend playing the vanilla game first, ie unmodded, and then adding in tweaks. You'll go from a great game to a new world as you add new elements to get deeper into the game. I have been coming back to this game for 5 years and I will only stop playing for the same reason I stopped playing its predecessor, Morrowind, because the next iteration has come out and its mods are even better!

Bethesda is a hell of a game company and their RPG's are bar none the best RPG's ever made due to the fact that you can make the game whatever you want it to be. Don't buy it on console, you'd be cheating yourself, come to the dark side of modding and you will never look back.

The only downside to Oblivion is that its not quite as vivid as Morrowind was as it was made a tad more mainstream and simplified to release as one of the first 360 games, but on PC you won't have that issue.

Disclaimer- I am not responsible for your becoming a TES addict.
  49. JasonB
    Oct 20, 2009
    There seem to be people who hate on this game simply because it's not a "traditional" RPG. That is, in a game like this which is truly open; your own personal plot isn't spoonfed to you. Your own personal character history, motivation, and actions are all up to you and your imagination. If you don't have imagination and don't want to get lost in a non-linear world, There seem to be people who hate on this game simply because it's not a "traditional" RPG. That is, in a game like this which is truly open; your own personal plot isn't spoonfed to you. Your own personal character history, motivation, and actions are all up to you and your imagination. If you don't have imagination and don't want to get lost in a non-linear world, this isn't for you. As far as the main quest goes, yes it's short and rather unimpressive but much like old RPGs the wonder of the game is in the side-quests and off-the-path interactions. I put dozens of hours into this game without touching the main quest for days on end; I've played through four times and STILL find new things to uncover with each playthrough The game is relaxing when you want it to be, tense when it needs to be, and always engrossing. I don't know why the "old school" crowd is so venomous because it doesn't adhere to the rules of other RPGs. Why does everything have to be the same? Don't see Oblivion for what it isn't, see it for what it is. I can appreciate and love both types. 9 because while the game most definitely deserves its acclaim, some of its niggles had no business being there, like the console-ish menu system and repetitive voice actors. Expand
  50. Jun 11, 2011
    You cannot compare this to fallout, because its nothing like it. This game is absolutely amazing, and will go down in history because 5 years on, it still looks beautiful. The open world it delivers is massive and full, wherever you go there is something, which shows how refined the game is and how much effort was put in, the graphics are amazing for the time and the storyline keeps youYou cannot compare this to fallout, because its nothing like it. This game is absolutely amazing, and will go down in history because 5 years on, it still looks beautiful. The open world it delivers is massive and full, wherever you go there is something, which shows how refined the game is and how much effort was put in, the graphics are amazing for the time and the storyline keeps you captivated. I like how the story takes you all over the world, which makes the RPG even bigger because of movement, and in between walking you stumble across more and more caves or ruins and you HAVE to explore them, it side tracks you so much, you find yourself nowhere near where you wanted and another 5 hours of game play in the bag. There are obviously flaws, i will get onto them later. The AI are one of the best AI in a video game and they respond completely to your presence. I like the character designs too, there has been so much thought put into everything, the amount of things you can be..it makes your character different to your friends, and not many games can deliver that. The sound is absolutely amazing off memory, the music when you are battling through the wilderness is perfect, creating a brilliant mood that you can delve, making you believe you are in the game. The flaws, like i said earlier, is that there isnt many battles with more than one creature, imagine the game with epic battles with more than 20 enemies at once? it would be superb, the greatest...but I think thats down to FPS, the game would not run with masses of enemies attacking at once. It isnt a massive problem, but its something i wouldnt mind in it, because the game is still amazing without it, and its such a minor problem when you look over the entire game. Everything has a unique design which makes you believe you are there. Summing up the game, it is a definite buy, if you dont enjoy this game at all, not even for sound/graphics then you are a fool, this is an amazing game which definitely by-passes Morrowind and shows that the developers (Bethesda) are constantly evolving for the better, one of the greatest games ever. Undoubtedly 10/10. - FlubbaJubba Expand
  51. May 15, 2011
    250 hours. That is how long I have spent in the world of oblivion. And I don't want a single nanosecond back.

I have one and one only criticism: The characters are awful, awful, awful and the voice acting is dreaful.
  52. May 31, 2011
    perhaps 1 of the best series of games out there, excellent idea and masters non-linear gaming. although a number of glitches haunt this game; a modding community still very much alive and active today has pretty much rectified any problems remaining. the elder scrolls created not only a game but a legacy and probably has a lore behind it that rivals star trek :) - just search oblivion inperhaps 1 of the best series of games out there, excellent idea and masters non-linear gaming. although a number of glitches haunt this game; a modding community still very much alive and active today has pretty much rectified any problems remaining. the elder scrolls created not only a game but a legacy and probably has a lore behind it that rivals star trek :) - just search oblivion in google and youll see wat i mean. althought made in 2006, ign said that it took 2 2008 4 another game 2 top it - fallout 3. Note: made by same company oblivion is not a game it is a world therefore rated 2 the max Expand
  53. Jun 17, 2011
    This is more than a game, this is the future of man kind. I am bringing you my second review on one of my favorite games of all time, OBLIVION. This game came out a while back but it is still enjoyable as any game that has came out recently. If you have played an elder scrolls game you will know what i mean. The characters have good story lines and the whole game is packed with side questsThis is more than a game, this is the future of man kind. I am bringing you my second review on one of my favorite games of all time, OBLIVION. This game came out a while back but it is still enjoyable as any game that has came out recently. If you have played an elder scrolls game you will know what i mean. The characters have good story lines and the whole game is packed with side quests which will give you the equipment to finish the main story easier. You start off in a prison, you don't know anything, but you quickly find out a thew things
    * That dark elf in the other jail is a douche
    * That the emperors son's are getting killed
    * You are the one who must close the jaws of oblivion

When you have finished the tutorial you will be placed in the world. You will have to guide your own path through the game, i have played through an assassin and a thief and they have total different game play which makes the replay ability of the game outstanding. I can't wait for skyrim as it should take care of the things oblivion had like poor graphics, the weird voice acting of the normal npc's and the zooming into the faces. The modding community is vast, as there are mods that add magic in the game, or total conversions which in turn, make the game more re playable. BUY THIS GAME, RIGHT NOW!
  54. Jun 24, 2011
    This game was absolutely amazing, it has great lore, lots of content and a lot of things to do. The main quest can get repetitive, but the story is pretty cool. However, you shouldn't play this game just for the story, the most amazing part of this game is how open and huge it is and how many side quests and content there is. Overall, an outstanding game, it was fun playing and well worthThis game was absolutely amazing, it has great lore, lots of content and a lot of things to do. The main quest can get repetitive, but the story is pretty cool. However, you shouldn't play this game just for the story, the most amazing part of this game is how open and huge it is and how many side quests and content there is. Overall, an outstanding game, it was fun playing and well worth the money. Expand
  55. Apr 26, 2011
    Best game ever. I am still playing it. It has bugs, but because it's great mod-ability, mods have fixed all of them. I played hundreds of hours without mods and patches, and I've played hundreds of hours with mods and patches. I have loved every moment.
  56. Jul 31, 2011
    Even though this game has a few flaws it is still great. First of all this game is huge and while maybe the world is not varied enough it is still lots of fun to explore. For a game this big the graphics are great for it's time, the game is also a true RPG in the sense that it allows one to do what one wants when one wants, be who you want to be and play how you want to play and has greatEven though this game has a few flaws it is still great. First of all this game is huge and while maybe the world is not varied enough it is still lots of fun to explore. For a game this big the graphics are great for it's time, the game is also a true RPG in the sense that it allows one to do what one wants when one wants, be who you want to be and play how you want to play and has great customization for ones character be it your race, how you look, or what weapons, spells and armour you want to use. The game is also extremely long and has countless side quests for one to partake in and in my opinion holds more of the fun to be had than the actual main story. As said before the game has a few flaws namely the third person view is terrible and basically unplayable, there are quite a few glitches in the game making some quests incompletable (although one cant expect a game of this size to have no glitches what so ever ), the story was not bad but just was not that engaging, the npc's lack emotion and the voice acting is not varied enough and lastly one VERY BIG flaw that ruined a lot of the experience was the leveling system which basically says "screw you, you will never become stronger but will become WEAKER as you level up and progress or should i say DEgress through the game " this flaw most definitely must be fixed for Skyrim. pros : Very long, lots to do, true RPG elements, great game play, great graphics. Cons: Bad leveling system, unengaging story, bad glitches. Overall for it's time it is still an awesome game despite it's flaws. 8.8/10 Expand
  57. Aug 30, 2011
    I couldn't give any reason to not like this. From start your character can be created to suit your play style. ANY play style. Weather you want to be a sword swinging mage or a lightning launching thief, The Elder Scrolls IV will drag you in for hours upon hours of game play. A large, vast explorable world lies ahead for your to engage in with perilous caves, deadly towers, and sinisterI couldn't give any reason to not like this. From start your character can be created to suit your play style. ANY play style. Weather you want to be a sword swinging mage or a lightning launching thief, The Elder Scrolls IV will drag you in for hours upon hours of game play. A large, vast explorable world lies ahead for your to engage in with perilous caves, deadly towers, and sinister gateways into the planes of Oblivion. Expand
  58. Aug 6, 2011
    This game is the best rpg i have played with a variety of different quests and missions. You can join many different groups and guilds. Also the game leaves you to just do whatever you want and where you want it has a decent story that could be tweaked slghtly as it is not perfect and also there are many problems i havent found any major ones to bother me alot
  59. Aug 21, 2011
    A phenomenal next game in the Elder Scrolls series that took everything that wasn't already great in Morrowind and made it great! You would always hit an enemy if your weapon made contact, the graphics were upped 10 fold, every NPC in the game has dialogue and most importantly... There's a new story to immerse yourself with and a new land. Tamriel! This game is very imaginative and runsA phenomenal next game in the Elder Scrolls series that took everything that wasn't already great in Morrowind and made it great! You would always hit an enemy if your weapon made contact, the graphics were upped 10 fold, every NPC in the game has dialogue and most importantly... There's a new story to immerse yourself with and a new land. Tamriel! This game is very imaginative and runs amazingly. The inventory has had a complete overhaul (among other things) and is what I would call the peak of RPG gaming available at the moment. The soundtrack to this game is unforgettable. For a taste of it try typing in Reign of the Septims in the YouTube search. That is the most memorable song I have heard in my life! This game is great and anyone who has a spare life should buy this game! After you've started, you won't be using your real life as much anymore! Expand
  60. Oct 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As soon as you spawn in the first dungeon in Oblivion, you are instantly plunged into a highly detailed world of Bandits, Ogres, Daedra, and 150 other baddies as well as 800 NPC's that roam the world. Each character is like a tiny mystery, waiting to be solved. As well as the Main Quest, there are at least 500 other completely optional side quests that you will pick up on your journey. Although it has 20 something glitches, and third person mode is a glitchy flop, it is a most wonderful game that deserves a 10. Expand
  61. Jul 13, 2012
    This is the best game I have EVER played. It has hours upon hours of game play and an enriching story. There is so many side quests that you will probably not even play them all. You will find yourself always wanting to replay it and find more quests. The amount of weapons, quests, stories, lore, and good times to had to be on Oblivion. Buy it, it is the best game ever.
  62. May 7, 2011
    One of the best. To complains of bugs, yes they exist, but I've not seen a game with such scale and detail do better. If players want to complain that something doesn't work perfectly, maybe they should get up and make that perfect game themselves instead of just complaining. The backstory and freedom is great. I've never done much of the main quest, since there is so much to do all aroundOne of the best. To complains of bugs, yes they exist, but I've not seen a game with such scale and detail do better. If players want to complain that something doesn't work perfectly, maybe they should get up and make that perfect game themselves instead of just complaining. The backstory and freedom is great. I've never done much of the main quest, since there is so much to do all around the world. Maybe BioWare games have better story and dialog, but at least the Elder Scrolls games let you do things beside shacking up with every living creature in the world. BioWare does movies and cyber-intimacy. BethSoft does freedom and adventuring with a character that you make up. Instead of following the story they write up for players on who the main character is, the Elder Scrolls actually lets players make their own character, backstory, and morals. True role-playing gaming. Expand
  63. Jun 30, 2011
    This is the BEST game I have ever played. I bought it when it first came out however long ago and I have probably played completely through it 15 times? All with totally different characters with completely different strategy. The level of depth its incredible, a depth only matched by Morrowind, the previous entry into the Elder scrolls. This cannot be beat. "mediocre graphics?" yea myThis is the BEST game I have ever played. I bought it when it first came out however long ago and I have probably played completely through it 15 times? All with totally different characters with completely different strategy. The level of depth its incredible, a depth only matched by Morrowind, the previous entry into the Elder scrolls. This cannot be beat. "mediocre graphics?" yea my ass, the graphics are awesome even now, its still a game that I can play and not have to gripe about the graphics. If your that spoiled that this game looks bad, go watch a movie, if you want to basically play your own movie with some pretty awesome graphics, game play, quest line, re playability etc than play this game. The Add ons are pretty sweet too I have them all (I would get the deluxe edition if I were buying it). IF you dont mind graphics, play morrowind too! Its SO deep intense, and the same good things just with bad graphics. So look at the good reviews, compare to the bad ones (in number and info) and realize they are cry babies. They have their "perfect games" most of them are probably something linear and stale like crysis and cant handle the freedom of an open ended RPG. Expand
  64. AlexiK
    Dec 23, 2009
    Usually i find these sort of games to be pritty Nerdy, you know the sorts. Where you plod arround for hours trying to find some wood to construct a hovel out of. Oblivion is the exception however, and is one of the easiest to master RPG's iv played all year round.
  65. Oct 23, 2010
    This has to be the all time best game I have played. I hope there is a new version, soon. Ive played the game at least 6 times. If you like RPG, this game is fantastic! Play it often! From magic to awesome weapons, this game has it all! The story is very interesting, too! Even the music score was great! Excellent job 2K Games!!! Give us more like this!
  66. Nov 2, 2010
    Many things can be said about Oblivion. It's a very ambitious project that allows you to explore a massive world with a good level of detail despite its size. The game is an open sandbox, much like its mind bogglingly vast predecessor Daggerfall, Oblivion opts for the same feel, although it narrows down the scope of the game from several countries to 15 miles of detailed landscape. IMany things can be said about Oblivion. It's a very ambitious project that allows you to explore a massive world with a good level of detail despite its size. The game is an open sandbox, much like its mind bogglingly vast predecessor Daggerfall, Oblivion opts for the same feel, although it narrows down the scope of the game from several countries to 15 miles of detailed landscape. I think this is a definite plus as Daggerfall was far too generic at most levels, although still tons of fun if you discount the amount of game stopping bugs. Oblivion has its share of problems as well. The story is somewhat standard, with very few (if any) wow moments to it. Its art style is pretty generic and the design of the armor/weapons leave much to be desired. The combat system seems to be solid, although it isn't anything great and not even close to strategic, and the AI is a fan of suicide charges; those that don't use magic or bows will just run right up to you and chase you all the way back to the cities if they can. Normally I'd say that's a recipe for a pretty bad game, but through all this, Oblivion has a hold over me unlike most other rpgs (even Mass Effect, which I love). The game is pure fun for those who enjoy a nice big sandbox to run around in, and as far as my personal tastes go, that is perfect for me. The range of possibilities that exist for how you play through the game gives it a massive amount of replay value, along with the different types of characters you can create. Now as far as graphics are concerned, that's pretty much a no-brainer; they are gorgeous (aside from the not so great design) and never fail to amaze, while the music is well thought out, giving the world an almost dream-like quality in some areas. I have to say that I'm rarely moved by a games atmosphere/setting, but when I wander through the uninhabited areas of Cyrodill, I can't help but feel a certain tinge of melancholy and loneliness. I love this game, but to truly enjoy it you must pick up the expansion packs Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles, respectively. These two only add to the immense world and have kept me playing for probably over a hundred hours. The final and most important part of Oblivion on PC is the libraries upon libraries of mod content that is free to download and will extend your playing time into god knows how long. A game will always have it's bugs, there is no way to cut out all of them, especially the more open ended a game is. To me, the sign of a great game is one that can hold my attention for a long time and never feel like a chore. Something that, despite its shortcomings (and there will be shortcomings) I still keep coming back for more, despite newer and flashier titles. Even now I'm thinking about downloading some more mods and reinstalling it on my brand new cpu... Expand
  67. Jan 19, 2012
    The sheer scope of Oblivion is nearly incomprehensible, both in the size of the world itself (Cyrodil or Tamriel? Never quite found out) and in the number of side quests and detailed characters on offer everywhere you go, it's the type of game where you can just march off into the sunset and simply stumble upon adventure, of course your successful free-lance adventuring depends upon you'reThe sheer scope of Oblivion is nearly incomprehensible, both in the size of the world itself (Cyrodil or Tamriel? Never quite found out) and in the number of side quests and detailed characters on offer everywhere you go, it's the type of game where you can just march off into the sunset and simply stumble upon adventure, of course your successful free-lance adventuring depends upon you're character being strong enough to deal with the foes you encounter, but that's the same with every RPG, only, they have the sense to fence off areas you aren't ready for, nonetheless I appreciate the unencumbered freedom Oblivion provides. Two flaws to address: 1) The ratio of becoming stronger : main story progression is nowhere near 1:1, and once I reached the point of going around and closing every oblivion gate in the game, I found I had to save before every armoured enemy because I was obliterated at almost every encounter without fail, and this is even including the vast amount of side quests i'd achieved, you'd think that much grinding would give me at least some advantage over my average foe. I'm not saying challenge is a bad thing, you just need to look at games like Pokemon where you can raise six pokemon through the entire game keeping them at equal levels the entire time and still not loose a single match, but coming from that to dying every time I so much as make eye contact with a fireman was too much of a jump. 2) The six different voice actors Bethesda hired to distribute amongst hundreds of npcs really destroy any sense of immersion, oh, and the speech-craft mini-game? I'd rather eat my own dick.
    Regardless, this is an incredible, one-of-a-kind game, and were it not for the fact that I'm a busy guy with a lot of **** to do, i'm sure that I would've reached the end of the main quest, but considering the point where I quit was 68 hours in, this game has to be doing something...in fact, several things right
  68. Sep 24, 2011
    This game really deserves no less than a 10 and is, for sure, in my top favorites. Which is saying a lot because I don't really like "fantasy" dragons and such, type games. My friends made me play it since I was such a fallout 3 fan (which is also on my top favs, maybe even number 1) and I insisted that I wouldn't like it since it was so fantasyish, but the depth of the game... I don'tThis game really deserves no less than a 10 and is, for sure, in my top favorites. Which is saying a lot because I don't really like "fantasy" dragons and such, type games. My friends made me play it since I was such a fallout 3 fan (which is also on my top favs, maybe even number 1) and I insisted that I wouldn't like it since it was so fantasyish, but the depth of the game... I don't think I ever even finished the main quest line since I've always kept myself busy with hours upon hours of side things to do, and exploring in this vast map, and the character progression is great, I love the stat system. you use something it levels, and then you combine that with the base stat system that you can put stats in as you level. Amazing system, works kind of like how Congress and House is Supposed to, haha. Expand
  69. Dec 30, 2011
    Amazing. Modding is amazing. Story and game play is amazing. I have spent hundreds of hours in this game. The biggest drawbacks are the lack of voices in the game, as there are too few voice actors, but overall this is one of the best games you can buy.
  70. Jan 11, 2012
    This game is a revolution to the RPG community, yeah it had some glitches an bugs but most of those were funny and didnt stop you from playing. This game took 500+ hours away from my life because I love this game, it immerses you and makes you feel like your in your characters shoes, yes oblivion was dumbed down a bit from morrowind but morrowind doesnt grasp you the same way, the uniqeThis game is a revolution to the RPG community, yeah it had some glitches an bugs but most of those were funny and didnt stop you from playing. This game took 500+ hours away from my life because I love this game, it immerses you and makes you feel like your in your characters shoes, yes oblivion was dumbed down a bit from morrowind but morrowind doesnt grasp you the same way, the uniqe land design and just the way the world has such history it is great. I thought I was done playing this game after 500+ hours, but I found myself going back to it today, I bought it again for PC and I started a new account and I still haven't lost the lore that this game provided me the day I discovered it, and yes I still remember my first time playing it was AMAZING. This game is an oldy but a goody if you haven't tried it I would recommend you give it a shot its worth throwing 25 bucks out on steam for all the expansions because this game will keep you sated for months to come, now back to Cyrodiil! Expand
  71. Feb 10, 2012
    This game is one of the best RPG games I have ever played. Although it's age may seem a bit of a put down, don't let it turn you away from one of the best games on steam. At a average price of $25 you can get your hands on the original game plus all of the DLC including, The Shivering Isles. With hundreds of hours of entertaining gameplay you can go anywhere, do almost anything, and evenThis game is one of the best RPG games I have ever played. Although it's age may seem a bit of a put down, don't let it turn you away from one of the best games on steam. At a average price of $25 you can get your hands on the original game plus all of the DLC including, The Shivering Isles. With hundreds of hours of entertaining gameplay you can go anywhere, do almost anything, and even get the advantage of using the console to use some hacks. I don't recommend this unless you are just doing it for fun, as it takes away from the rich story line. Even if you don't do the main story line, you can still level up fairly often and have fun doing fun side quests. You could join the Dark Brotherhood, join a fighter's or mage's guild or just explore this vast land that Bethesda has made for us to enjoy. Every game has a downside though although this one doesn't have many. There aren't many glitches, but sometimes the NPCs will have a strange reaction to something you do, and say something that isn't even relevant or the music might awkwardly change to a fight song. These are very excusable and don't take too much from the game. Another pet peve of mine is the zoom on the face. When you engage in a conversation, the camera zooms in just so you can see the person's face, none of the surronding items which I don't like. Overall, this game should get a 99/100. That one point is from the face zoom. Other than that, this game could easily compete with Skyrim or any other popular RPG game. Buy this game today and enjoy it. NOTE: The only reason this game is rated M for mature is because of some user-made mods. This game should be rated T for teen in my opinion. : ) Expand
  72. Sep 28, 2010
    Unique.It opened a new rpg era.Precursor of Fallout 3 and The Precursors.Huge.Masive game play options.Free world.You can do whatever you like.Huge array of items.Many NPC's.To short main story.But Brilliant.There's much..much more to say but i have to write down about 70 pages to finish it.Wonderfull.10+
  73. May 17, 2011
    This was the game that made me finally drop my xbox and buy a decent pc some years ago. I have been modding and enjoying Oblivion ever since and still manage to add fresh new content. This was the ultimate world builder and gaming experience. Since then its costs me thousands in constantly buying and upgrading my PC but if I consider the entertainment I have had out of it and theThis was the game that made me finally drop my xbox and buy a decent pc some years ago. I have been modding and enjoying Oblivion ever since and still manage to add fresh new content. This was the ultimate world builder and gaming experience. Since then its costs me thousands in constantly buying and upgrading my PC but if I consider the entertainment I have had out of it and the hours of fun I have had in Cyrodil. Its been money well spent. Expand
  74. Oct 13, 2011
    First, I felt Bethesda improved greatly on the flow of the game. In Morrowind the combat was boring and for a long time (until you leveled your weapon skills) you would miss about 75% of attacks. Oblivion has the Dual combat system to where you can cast spells and melee with out pressing a button to switch between modes. Dialog is this game isn't the best but if you get past the similarFirst, I felt Bethesda improved greatly on the flow of the game. In Morrowind the combat was boring and for a long time (until you leveled your weapon skills) you would miss about 75% of attacks. Oblivion has the Dual combat system to where you can cast spells and melee with out pressing a button to switch between modes. Dialog is this game isn't the best but if you get past the similar voice acting, bethesda gives characters interresting and unique phrases and comments. With a 16 sq Mile map, Hundreds upon Hundreds of side quests, a Fun and intence storyline, Great DLC, Huge cities, Beautiful Environments, Diverse and Rewarding Areas ( Dungeons, caves, Keeps, Ruins, and Oblivion gates), and Tons of fun activities to do (arena, Make spells, enchant, and make potions). This game has everything a RPG play wants. Oblivion dishes out hundreds of hours of gameplay and Is one of those games you play when you're bored of everything else. THIS GAME IS Probably if not the best RPG out there. And yes i have played Morrowind ( lots of time on it ) and dozen of other RPGs and MMOs This the best your going to find out there. btw Looking forward to Skyrim ( hope its not a disappointment like Fallout New Vegas was(Fallout 3 is sooooooo much better)). Expand
  75. J.S.
    Mar 30, 2006
    If I could give it an 11 then I would. I would then subtract a point for Bethesda not fronting these guys some more testers. Awesome job can't wait for the patch!
  76. JonG.
    May 28, 2009
    As I write this, Oblivion has an average user rating of 7.5. That in and of itself is an absolute travisty. This is a great game. What more do you low raters want? You want the game designers to come to your house and stand on their heads for you? An enormous amount of great content was packed into this game. Also, it has an excellent modding community that is constantly changing every As I write this, Oblivion has an average user rating of 7.5. That in and of itself is an absolute travisty. This is a great game. What more do you low raters want? You want the game designers to come to your house and stand on their heads for you? An enormous amount of great content was packed into this game. Also, it has an excellent modding community that is constantly changing every aspect of the game - keeping it fresh (for free!). You can get this game for $20 now and have $2000 worth of content after a few hours online. Expand
  77. GabrieleAccurso
    Dec 23, 2008
    AH Oblivion! The best rpg of all time (i havn't played with morrowind) come out in year 2006 i have played it all year 2007 (all 1 year) the best graphics before crysis. Simply immense, freedom and fantasy style incredible, kinds and kinds of everything... the next generation of RPG!
  78. SuperMan
    Dec 24, 2009
    Severely underrated game. Graphics and physics and still fast and responsive.
  79. Jul 4, 2011
    revolutionary game that sets the bar so high for open world RPG's that it probably wont be beat by any game except its own sequel. A HUGE open world that has a life of its own. You can take almost any action you can think of. Combat is VASTLY improved compared to morrowind and is much more fun. This is as close to the perfect game as it gets.
  80. Jul 13, 2011
    Oblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players willOblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players will have no idea what they're doing, as it doesn't tell you what specializing in a skill will do. Overall, the minor flaws can be overlooked by great overall gameplay, and this is a worthwhile game. Expand
  81. Luke
    Mar 10, 2006
    Are you kidding me if anyone gave this game a lower score then at 10 out of 10 they r nuts its just like morowind with a major graphicall over-hall. This game actualy has a physics engine and its over 100 hrs of gameplay which means ill never finish this one just like i never finished morrowind but at least ill have the time of my life plain it
  82. Sep 18, 2011
    Most engaging game I've ever played. The world is immense and the things to do seem unlimited. I've gotten a lot of playability out of this game. A truly good game for me is one where I can beat it in a different way than my friends will. I love the customization and oblivion has plenty.
  83. Nov 21, 2011
    The world of Oblivion is a seemingly live one. Mountains, caves, and a copious amount of missions would keep anyone busy for hours on end. The sheer beauty of this game is sometimes overshadowed by repetitive voice acting and boring level design; there is no denying the brilliance that comes from looking at the night sky while Jeremy Soule's soundtrack plays in your headphones.
  84. Nov 30, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is what an RPG should be - compelling story plot, tons of side quest and a large open world to explore. The automatic leveling system leaves something to be desired. But then again, the more you use certain skills, the better you should get at those skills. The graphics leave something to be desired, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  85. Sep 9, 2012
    Amazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded withAmazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded with mods. Talking about mods, find some you like from the tons available and that will make you play it for an entire year without repetition. Good deal indeed. Expand
  86. May 24, 2014
    Really awesome,unique RPG game with interesting stories and quests.
    It has great story,graphics,this game can kep you entertained for many many hours.
    And of course,the Expansions,and the moddability launches the game in the sky!
  87. Nov 23, 2011
    I am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, seriousI am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, serious gamers, posers, people posing to be a poser, kids and beginners, 10/10 Expand
  88. StephenS.
    Dec 9, 2009
    I can honestly say that this is my favorite game possibly created. Amazing graphics and game play, so many possibilities of character creation and everything is reflected on what you do in the game play world. If this was Co-op there would be no other game that could compete with this...
  89. NikitaG
    Jun 19, 2009
    This game is arguably the best game I have ever played in my life. The graphics are amazing, there are many revolutionary features, such as the voice overs, but the thing that really won me over was the depth. I bought this game in 2006, and I still play it today. Unmodded, the game has so much content its just mind blowing, and with along with mods, this game could easily last you This game is arguably the best game I have ever played in my life. The graphics are amazing, there are many revolutionary features, such as the voice overs, but the thing that really won me over was the depth. I bought this game in 2006, and I still play it today. Unmodded, the game has so much content its just mind blowing, and with along with mods, this game could easily last you several years. I have noticed that most people either love this game, or hate it. Oblivion's nonlinear and lack of 'in your face' action makes it boring for some people. But you owe it to yourself, give it a try if you have not. Expand
  90. DavidM
    Jun 23, 2009
    Unmodded the game became tedious with the scaling levling system and I quickly put it down. Months later I modded out the scaling and over 100 hours of play.
  91. EthanKunz
    Jul 28, 2009
    This is probably the best game I've ever played, and I've played them all. While it has some minor flaws in npcs, it makes up for this in almost every other way. What really added to the game for me were the mods that hardcore gamers have been coming up with. I'm still playing it!
  92. MikeM
    Jul 6, 2009
    Amazing game. In order to fully appreciate it though you must have the game for the PC. The mod community is enormous and some mod creators are awesomely talented. 10 out of 10.
  93. LeviA.
    Sep 22, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played. Ignore the whiny little kids with poor grammar skills that rated it low. They probably played it for about 20 minutes before stopping. The game may also require somewhat of an imagination too play. I have had this game for 4 years and still haven't completed the main quest and I still play it once every week. It is the best game ever made.
  94. BrandonL
    Jan 17, 2010
    The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in the game, well just about..... The combat system is very simple, you can learn new melee moves and spells are a breeze to use. Character customization is very large and creating your own class is a very interesting thing to use. Basically the sky is the limit in this game. Make your own spells and weapons with special abilites. Monsters play very much like you and everything they wear u can take which i really dig that. Quests are very very deep and not just a simple kill this and kill that. the AI plays very well and play similar to you. There is no shortage of things to do. I mean you can beat the game and hundreds and hundreds of quests. Difficulty can be adjusted. The game is user friendly and isn't difficult at all. Works perfectly on a console. It plays unlike any other RPG out there right now, besides fallout of course. PEOPLE WHO GIVE THIS GAME A 0/10 REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES A GOOD RPG A GOOD RPG!!! this game is amazing, graphics, voice acting, enviroment, combat system are all perfected and are amazing. Expand
  95. EE
    Nov 18, 2009
    Oblivion is an amazing game that lives up to the expectations set down by bethesda's other games such as morrowind and Fallout 3. Amazing graphics, wonderful performance, and hours of great fun. And when you finish with the game, just install a few mods and it is new again! Completely worth $50.
  96. RadekK
    Dec 20, 2009
    A little easier and simpler than Morrowind, but I gave 10. I hope that next Elder Scrolls V will be even better.
  97. Oct 28, 2010
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros
    -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a snow-peaked mountain far off in the distance. You can go to the top of this mountain. Along the way you may run into a wolf, an ogre, or a friendly Orc living in a well appointed manner.

-The awesome questing system. There are literally hundreds of hours of quests to be found here, all interesting. Whether it's climbing the ranks in the sinister Dark Brotherhood, fighting Mehrunes Dagon, or sorting out a crooked merchant you will be entertained for hours.

-Finally, the graphics and gameplay were amazing for its time. They still look very good unmodded, but modded (specifically with Qarl's texture pack) it looks absolutely amazing. The gameplay is fun, the swordplay is simple but not repetitive, and the magic is entertaining.

Theres are several negatives to this, none of which prevent it from being a 10, but still are worth being mentioned.

-Voice actors. They used (for some obtuse reason) a very small group of voice actors. The voices do become repetitive.

-Dialog system is iffy. Kind of strange

Overall an excellent game. Highly recommend the PC version to anyone who enjoys RPGs or who wants to try something other than Call of Duty.
  98. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for beingThis is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for being one of the best role-playing games in years, but the immersive and long-lasting experience it provided wasn't for everyone. Oblivion is hands-down better, so much so that even those who'd normally have no interest in a role-playing game should find it hard to resist getting swept up in this big, beautiful, meticulously crafted world. Expand
  99. Kronox
    Dec 1, 2009
    Not even gonna speak long on this game, its virtues are obvious. This is an instant classic and a must own on whatever platform you play. Anyone who thinks this is a bad game simply hasn't a clue as to what a good game is and their review is worthless.
  100. Jul 2, 2011
    Where to begin, Oblivion is one of the best games ever created. The joy of exploring a huge open fantasy world is just delicious indeed. Plus Oblivion is very accessible for all you "dumbed-down" types. Be sure to download the essential mods (50+ of those, 4 being my mods, hehe) to create the most awesome open-world RPG ever. Another must play. Don't talk to me about RPGs until you play this.
  101. Aug 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods andThis is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods and reinstalled it played perfectly so i think it was the mods that were screwing it up (which makes me sad because there's a plethora of really cool mods for this game too). So far in playing the un-modded and officially patched game I've run across no bugs whatsoever so I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. Collapse

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.