The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PC

8.1

1. Jan 14, 2016
    For a lively RPG world, play Gothic instead (the 2nd being my favourite). Or keep playing Morrowind if you like Morrowind: the exploration of the scenery was way cooler and surprising in Elder Scrolls 3.

I'm not kidding. Oblivion continues the trend of quantity over quality. Of big is beautiful, when it so obviously is not. Just look at the ugliness of the massive imperial city, clearly designed by people who didn't grow up surrounded by ancient ruins and monuments. Nothing looks real about these walls. Nothing.

There is some good in Oblivion, but largely outweighed by the bad, the worse and the pathetic. The excellent covers 2 things:
    - Character creation is well open; you can create and name your own class, based on the skills of your choice, which incidentally is exactly what I needed.
    - NPCs have their own conversations. It's basic but very effective.

The good section isn't more crowded:
    - Pickpocketing is pleasant (despite the randomness and the save/load routine.)
    - NPCs give geographical indications. Again, it's basic but agreeable. It makes for a promising future.

Let's adequately put the average in the middle section:
    - The world is vast, but pretty much empty and lifeless.Travelling is not dangerous like in other games. Villages have no charm and no soul. Ruins are nice the first time, until you realise it's all about cut n' paste. And then... there are loading screens between zones.
    - Automatic travel. I can't put it in the bad section since I'm not forced to use it, but it does remove the thrill of being lost and alone in the wilderness. Every other game does the teleportation thing much better by requiring an activation.
    - Touch 1 apple and every other object around will jump and roll. This would be in the bad section if the physics engine had any impact on the game.

The bad section is by far the most populated:
    - The interface is ludicrous. As the top offender, the Escape key doesn't close windows. It doesn't affect the GUI and instead brings forth the game menu.
    - Quick Load isn't directly accessible when the game is paused. Oh, you do have the possibility to load... by calling the menu, but the quick key doesn't function and is specifically programmed to tell you that you can't quick load. Now rate that level of ridiculous on a scale of 0 to 10.
    - You can improve your skills in game by keeping a key pressed. Just wow.
    - There is no AI. What. So. E. Ver.
    - The map is tiny and virtually useless. No enlargement, no zoom, no markers, no common sense...
    - The bartering system is inane. It is also advantageous to sell your 250 arrows 1 by 1. I'm not kidding.
    - You have to play a childish mini-game before each NPC interaction to make sure you'll get all dialogue options and the best bargains. I'm still not kidding.
    - Everybody is the same. No, not kidding. Apart from their race, everybody has a similar ugly face, has a similar boring long name that won't stick, and speaks with 1 out of 3 or 4 voices. I can't identify anyone. Absolutely nobody is memorable.
    - Everything is randomised. Therefore, every action calls for a save/try/reload routine.
    - Seriously, even picking up a plant or a mushroom is randomised and can fail, who knows why. As a bonus if you will, a picked up plant doesn't disappear. That's how good the visual clues are.

Don't think I'm done yet. Now comes the section of the truly pathetic:
    - Behold the worst lock-picking system of all times. Here, playing a thief is an ordeal. Or a deal-breaker.
    - There are no fences to sell your stolen goods to, therefore there is no point in thieving. I'm slightly exaggerating, since you'll have access to fences if you go to the one place in the so-called immense world to do the one thing that will connect you with the so ever-present, so American, and so absurd concept of a thieves guild, but I would argue that this forced path makes it even worse.
    - Level scaling. I think that's what it's called. It's the retarded notion that the world improves every time you improve, so as to remove any sense of immersion, emotion, strategy, accomplishment, fun, motivation, and whatnot.
    - Somehow in the same vein, here is yet another example of how dreadfully the game is designed: Improving your alchemy adds negative effects to your ingredients. As a corollary, a poisonous plant will kill you when ingested, but only if you know it's poisonous, otherwise it is harmless. For the last time, I am not kidding.
  2. Jun 18, 2015
    Consolised bastardisation of Morrowind, don't f'ing bother.
    Elder Scrolls was good up to this point, and then it screwed up. Skyrim is still better than this crap even though it's more consolised.
  3. Feb 6, 2015
    The prime example why the next-gen was the biggest mistake in human entertainment history by lowering video games to lower and lower masses.
    Technically it was and especially still is a catastrophe (good luck running it on 64 bit), it really looked bad when it came out in 2006. It was mostly the lie, promising features that were not implemented (the bump mapping was only in the starting cell, now run the hype machine!).
    Level scalling basically ruined this game gameplay wise.
    The writing and world design was non existant. It's was just some **** put randomely in the world without any thought of reason. It was designed as a marketing product to promote Xbox and sell to masses expecting an easy, dumbed down ride in a disney land they can "enjoy".
  4. Dec 6, 2014
    Enemies progression is broken, this is not right for RPG game because you may get feeling that you are punished for leveling rather feel like have benefits from it. And worst is that you can level pretty fast, am explored nearby locations around starting point and after make one circle I was already boss with super armor and weapon. After that all enemies around become pretty nasty and amEnemies progression is broken, this is not right for RPG game because you may get feeling that you are punished for leveling rather feel like have benefits from it. And worst is that you can level pretty fast, am explored nearby locations around starting point and after make one circle I was already boss with super armor and weapon. After that all enemies around become pretty nasty and am feel like nobody again, some weak looking monster kills me LOL Am made epic battle with some rat !!! And treasures probably don't match to your level so it look epic and ridiculous at one time. Also my problem was with locations where at beginning I though they are stunning beautiful after while they become repetitive, in this parts Skyrim is much better game. Play Gothic 3 its much better game in many parts in long distance. At very beginning am love Oblivion but now am at point where don't even want to complete it and am realized that Gothic 3 have all what is missing in it. So in fact am would rather complete G3 than continue this game. Its basically good game and may be enjoyable for few days but for long play its very bad it going downhill all the time to point where become unplayable. Its pretty ridiculous that I want to play it again and try to avoid leveling to have better chances complete it on level 1 LOL as RPG its terrible how they test it? Was its tested anyway? And on what are based scores on first hour play? In my opinion this game is broken to point of unplayable because you will never get advance, you never change anything for better all you do work against you LOL Am already have epic equipment and don't see any whatsoever advance from it. Only one good point is sneak + bow but after monster see you it may be pretty frustrating battle because boss are everywhere even some stupid road thief with full glass armor etc it look crazy! More you play then more you see that stuff. My initial score was really 10/10 but it drop to zero and that is final score. Its just bad game for long play. Expand
  5. Sep 12, 2014
    Pros: N/A

Cons: Hideously ugly faces on the people in the game; mediocre graphics by modern standards; terrible leveling system where all the enemies level with you; horrible and boring combat system. Score Breakdown: Game Stability 9/10, Background Story 5/10, Loading Screens and Frame Rate 5/10, Sound Effects and Music 4/10, Voice Acting 3/10, Graphics 3/10, Plot Development 2/10,
    Pros: N/A

Score Breakdown: Game Stability 9/10, Background Story 5/10, Loading Screens and Frame Rate 5/10, Sound Effects and Music 4/10, Voice Acting 3/10, Graphics 3/10, Plot Development 2/10, Realism 1/10, Gameplay 1/10, Replay Value 0/10, Total Score 3.3/10

Conclusion: Skip Oblivion and play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim instead.
  6. Nov 13, 2013
    Morrowind was very good, so I had great hopes for Oblivion.

Unfortunately I was very disappointed. It is a dumbed down game, with less customization options and more an "action" feel than an "RPG" feel. It is very repetitive and there is very little atmosphere too. I enjoyed the game only until I understood that leveling up serves no purpose whatsoever. Level-scaling makes all the
    Morrowind was very good, so I had great hopes for Oblivion.

I enjoyed the game only until I understood that leveling up serves no purpose whatsoever. Level-scaling makes all the creatures in the game level up along with you. This is absolutely idiotic. It makes no sense whatsoever. Still trying to like it, I played more, and more, and more, but finally gave up trying to like it.

After a wholehearted attempt to like this I have to say I didn't. This game is bad, and seems to be made not our of passion and love for RPGs, but out of love for money. Buy Morrowind instead.

I am not even going to try Skyrim.
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    Resulta aburrido, y el sistema de combate es una pesadez. Lo jugué hasta la mitad más o menos (por lo que pude saber) y luego lo borré para siempre de mi sistema. No lo considero bueno como rpg.
  8. Sep 10, 2013
    A big step down from Morrowind, its predecessor. Customization is limited--there is only one "best" armor, one "best" weapon, etc, so you ccan't choose yr character's look. Many doors can't be opened, many characters can't be killed, limiting the actual role-playing aspect of the game. The worst part is that everything in the game levels with you, enemies getting stronger and moreA big step down from Morrowind, its predecessor. Customization is limited--there is only one "best" armor, one "best" weapon, etc, so you ccan't choose yr character's look. Many doors can't be opened, many characters can't be killed, limiting the actual role-playing aspect of the game. The worst part is that everything in the game levels with you, enemies getting stronger and more numerous, and weapons getting better, so there is no sense of mystery in any of the dungeons, no hope of finding that powerful sword or item as there was in Morrowind. There is no incentive to level up at all. The plots are predictable (HINT: someone is going to betray and attack you at the end), and the characters ugly. There is little good to say except that the stealth/assassination aspect of the game is somewhat entertaining and the spell-making is fun. Expand
  9. Dec 29, 2012
    The absolute worst and most overhyped game I can remember. This game is like a punishment that was secretly made by the religious fanatics who were trying to ban Dungeons and Dragons in the 80's. And everyone giving it a 10 is like one of those people who are now playing online roleplaying games. Massive, massive expanses that are COMPLETELY empty.. void of any life whatsoever.The absolute worst and most overhyped game I can remember. This game is like a punishment that was secretly made by the religious fanatics who were trying to ban Dungeons and Dragons in the 80's. And everyone giving it a 10 is like one of those people who are now playing online roleplaying games. Massive, massive expanses that are COMPLETELY empty.. void of any life whatsoever. Apparently this is considered 'exploration'. I have never seen such a barren and lifeless game environment in my entire life. The 'facial expressions' made me cringe... the 'story' was so cliche.. it also made me cringe. I think this game is more like an instructional video for making facial expressions for people who live in caves. Expand
  10. Qis
    Oct 2, 2012
    This game is broken
    This game is broken
    1. leveling system is broken - you level up, you become weaker, not stronger while enemies become stronger and stronger. The game give you major skills that give you experience to level up but less attributes when used, minor skill give attributes but no experience to level up, so figure out how bad that is. It means to level up is by using major skills but the more you use minor skills the more attributes you get at level ups.
    2. AI is bad - NPC have no AI actually, they are programmed like robots, they just do what they are programmed to do and it is repetitive. Your ally NPC will attack enemies without AI, meaning they will chase the enemy into lava, river and they will likely be in front of you when you attack, in front of each other making friendly fire. And worse they will kill each other if there are too many friendly fire among them and turn on you in the middle of combat
    3. Anti-climax lame story - because of bad AI, big event in the game is like nothing happen to NPCs, right after the big event happen, they continue their program as usual. the story is also not worth to mention, no story to tell actually, just missions to do and these missions is not important as the whole. You can play without doing it anyway, so why bother?
    4. boring maps- The maps of caves, ruins and oblivion plane are repetitive, after few times playing you will see the very same thing over and over
    5. game breaking items and skill- Although the leveling system is broken you may carefully create a character that is in "god-mode" as soon as you have certain items and make your own spells. 120% invisibility, go figure out what is that?
    6. boring quests- all quests are boring and lost, A told you to go to B, b told to go to C, doing D or get E then return. Almost all quests are like this. These quests are lame and stupid. You become an errant boy/girl for someone. The background story of quests are also lame and not important.
    7. user interface is bad - everything are in tabs, tabs within tabs
    8. you can eat anything as long as you don't know the second effect could kill you, that is chemistry.
    9. you will end up using spells in the end even you planned to play as warrior or stealth
    10. too many to comment, just saying this game is BROKEN
  11. Dec 18, 2011
    Oblivion offers a lot of good things on the surface; on the plus side theres a really big world to explore, the story is not linear, all the things we know and love from Morrowind or Fallout.

Very unfortunately theres a lot of really big bummers especially for people who have been around the genre for a long time. At first glance the levelling system looks great, major skills leading to increase of levelling in your chosen class? Damnit that´s awesome -> unfortunately they made the system broken in a way that attributes increase way slower for people who actually stick to their class and mainly use their major skills / chose their major skills and attributes according to their class and thusly giving advantages to people who deliberatly make their most important skills minor skills -> yeah way to go game designers: give the power gamers all the cookies and to hell with people who like to chose a character and actually "roleplay" it.
    This could have been easily avoided by just limiting everyones attribute increase while levelling to the same amount. (for people who haven´t played many RPGs so far: it means by chosing a warrior you should definetly not label any of your combat-oriented as major skills...otherwise you will level very quickly and your attributes increase way slower) This already hit me quite hard...but not hard enough to just deinstall ...

well yeah...it´s not linear...all the very "creative" side-Quests and dungeons are just totally similar and offer no variation.

Very disappointing. Could have been a really good one.
    Save your money if you liked the depth of Fallout and older games...go buy it if you like to show of really well-designed boosted chars and pretty shiny items achieved by bizarre and boring game-rape.
  12. Nov 27, 2011
    Like another reviewer said, I really tried to like this game. I came to it late however, and was never a fan of the Elder Scrolls series. My RPG experience comes from Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Neverwinter Nights 1/2. I love having free reign to do what I want, but I also need to care about the environment in order to immerse myself in it. In Oblivion I had no idea what to do, so I wandered...Like another reviewer said, I really tried to like this game. I came to it late however, and was never a fan of the Elder Scrolls series. My RPG experience comes from Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Neverwinter Nights 1/2. I love having free reign to do what I want, but I also need to care about the environment in order to immerse myself in it. In Oblivion I had no idea what to do, so I wandered... and nothing was intriguing about the land AT ALL. I was only able to play this game for about 30mins at a time because it just didn't hold my interest. Neverwinter Nights 2 probably has about 5% of the content but I have played it through about 20 times. Others have spent many hours on Oblivion though so I would suggest RPG fans at least try it... the game is quite cheap on steam now. Expand
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    This game's level-scaling system is ruining everything... There no point in doing anything to raise your level because as you level up, creatures also level up with you simultaneously with all the benefits it brings (even the rats). And the funny part is you can finish the game easier at level 1. There is also an item problem where you fight your way and clean all the badass dungeons toThis game's level-scaling system is ruining everything... There no point in doing anything to raise your level because as you level up, creatures also level up with you simultaneously with all the benefits it brings (even the rats). And the funny part is you can finish the game easier at level 1. There is also an item problem where you fight your way and clean all the badass dungeons to the last level only to find a rusty sword... The game doesn't reward you for anything. Total **** Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2011
    the game seems to thing that quantity is better then quality, it has few really fun things to do and a LOT of repeating boring quests and the game has only 13 voice actors. the storytelling is terrible, the story could have been good but the story stopped being interesting after i murdered every member of the mythic dawn. the map is huge but all the space is wasted, you have a few dungeonsthe game seems to thing that quantity is better then quality, it has few really fun things to do and a LOT of repeating boring quests and the game has only 13 voice actors. the storytelling is terrible, the story could have been good but the story stopped being interesting after i murdered every member of the mythic dawn. the map is huge but all the space is wasted, you have a few dungeons around but they are boring and there is no point to go in there except for a couple of quests. in summary this game is wasted potential Expand
  15. Jun 23, 2011
    Having Played Morrowind first and enjoying it a lot, I expected better from Oblivion. The game's killing flaws where 1) enemy scaling with the player making gaining levels pointless, because you do not see any increase in power and 2) lack of levitate (some storyline missions took a half hour longer to reach because I couldn't get up the bloody hill) When a particular bit of storylineHaving Played Morrowind first and enjoying it a lot, I expected better from Oblivion. The game's killing flaws where 1) enemy scaling with the player making gaining levels pointless, because you do not see any increase in power and 2) lack of levitate (some storyline missions took a half hour longer to reach because I couldn't get up the bloody hill) When a particular bit of storyline right by the end got repetitive, I said enough of this and decided I wasn't going back. (buddy playing on xbox at same time said I was ~2 hours from the end)
    Regarding the design choices about leveling: I read a number of things that suggest the true powergamer approach to this game is to stay _at level 1 or 2_ by never sleeping to avoid leveling up... this is not an ideal solution frankly.
  16. Apr 16, 2011
    This is one of those games that seem great at first. But the more you play it, the less you like it. Once the flash wears away, you start to realize that at it's core the game is broken. Without an engaging story and good gameplay mechanics there can be no lasting appeal for me.
  17. Apr 5, 2011
    One of most overrated games in history. It had nice graphics when it lasted (i bought and played it on release) but honestly... nothing else. Terrible gameplay, fighting, same 2 or 3 voice actors for every character. linearity, terrible character development and world leveling systems, very mediocre plot. Playing as melee classes is boring clicking of one button, well mages do not differOne of most overrated games in history. It had nice graphics when it lasted (i bought and played it on release) but honestly... nothing else. Terrible gameplay, fighting, same 2 or 3 voice actors for every character. linearity, terrible character development and world leveling systems, very mediocre plot. Playing as melee classes is boring clicking of one button, well mages do not differ much from this. I cant understand that unfounded cult surrounding this title. I do not recommend this game to anyone, its boring, anticlimactic and rly overrated.. Expand
  18. Mar 9, 2011
    This game looks great, the world is vast and the world is open-ended and interactive. Lots of great potential, with a complex and technically impressive interactive world. The only problem is that there are no appealing characters to interact with and no emotional connection with the game. They made something awesome, but without much of a soul.

I was soon bored with the game. Find a

I was soon bored with the game. Find a new place off in the wilderness? Defeat the evil that lurks within? Nobody cares.

Summary: a game with a lot of potential, but not much substance.
  19. Jan 7, 2011
    A pretty ragdoll. This game is one of the biggest waste of good potential I have seen in a long while. The lush graphics are wasted on an empty shell, on a dull, stiff, rigid, lifeless world where there is little to no compulsion to explore or do anything.

The same can be said about the settings: the background and settings, very promising and incredibly rich, are completely wasted in this carapace devoided of any kind of a soul.

On top of this, the hefty system requirements.

Stay clear of this.
  20. Sep 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers. How Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion got 94 score, I simply do not understand. When I read the reviews and saw the score, I thought "hey this might be kinda like Dragon age: Origins, just much cheaper", but no.
    As stated by other reviews, I too really wanted to like this game, but unfortunately those little super frustrating events like "lock picking" and various other annoying factors just ruined the feeling of a good game entirely.
    To elaborate: In the Lock picking sequences you have to continuously move your mouse upwards and then click with the left mouse button in order to make the pin "stay in it's slot", however, you have to click the pin when it is at the top, and stays there for half a second - otherwise your lock pick will break. This happens completely random and there's no way what so ever to predict whether it stays in the top or not, there's no pattern, no little noise that goes off, nothing. That in it self is not an issue (annoying, but you can just walk away... or?) the thing is, you can't cancel the sequence, so if you have 100 lock picks, you'll just have to stay there, breaking them all, before the game let's you go. Oh sure fine, there are options in the bottom that says "auto try" and "close".. but you go ahead a try click those buttons with a none existent mouse (and you can't use the arrow keys... not anything to hit them). So last in total frustration i hit escape on the keyboard, causing the game to freeze. *sigh*
    Now that we're talking about the key bindings. In comparison to most other games, where you for example have a key for you map, menu, inventory, quests, reputation, spells, abilities etc. - in oblivion you have 1 - yup, EVERYTHING is wrapped up in one damn tap, that in it self wouldn't be a problem if it had tool tips when you moused over the different items - but it doesn't, you'll have to figure it out yourself.
    Weight is apparently symbolized with a feather, money with the head of a random guy - and after 8 hours of playtime, i still do not know, where to see the quests. And the map is too small (in comparison to the actual size of the game world), and you can't zoom out to locate where you have to go. The worst part is, the feeling of "a big game" disappears with the "fast travel" system - and you already have all the locations from the beginning.
    But the worst part of the entire game is the story telling, it's done so poorly, that you really have to drink 8 cans of redbull to stay awake while the NPC's talk, because the story just isn't compelling at all. You start out in a cell (in jail presumably - though you're never told why), some guy rushes into you cell claiming he's the emperor, (if it's legoland or china - you're never told either) - about 5 mins later he's dead. The voice acting is terrible and the animation is so stiff (sure they have, mad or happy faces, but this is split up in either EXTREME ANGER or SUPER HAPPY, that you can't help but thinking either the guy is a psychopath or a rapist), you can't connect with any characters in the game, 95% of the time I was playing I just went "hmm I wonder what happens if I kill this guy", and finally got bored with it and stopped playing the game.
    The AI is also somewhat ridiculous, they all seemed to have this "Leeroy Jenkins" syndrome in them, charging forward to slay enemies even though they are greatly outnumbered and go down after 2 blows.
    Was hilarious at first, but when the peeps you have to protect from getting killed does the same thing, it just gets annoying.

So to put it short
    The game play is repetitive, The story telling is **** The AI is suicidal (this only tends to work for the enemy, not so much your allies.)
    Here's a tip, if you liked Dragon Age: Origins, or just good storytelling - go play that instead, there's nothing to be seen here.
    However, if you like Fallout 3, this is probably the game for you, this game pretty much has the same issues. Just replace laser rifle with a bow, aliens with demons, and nuclear bomb with magic.
  21. SlobodanO
    Mar 24, 2010
    This game is just an empty shell. Even the lauded graphics fail when it comes to the look of characters. Writing is abysmal. Horrible minigames instead of stat influenced outcomes. Horrible hack and slash combat. Bad engine. This game is not a RPG and what's worse, it's utterly boring.
  22. MarcD
    Sep 17, 2009
    The only department this game is a winner is the make up department. This game is really poor compared to previous TES titles. The terrain althought claimed wider than Morrowind give a shrinked feeling. You can cross it in 20 real time minutes jog on its wider part, talk about a country, 6KM long 4 Km wide if much If you take ingame time just multiply by 10 at a 12km jog, patetic. In this The only department this game is a winner is the make up department. This game is really poor compared to previous TES titles. The terrain althought claimed wider than Morrowind give a shrinked feeling. You can cross it in 20 real time minutes jog on its wider part, talk about a country, 6KM long 4 Km wide if much If you take ingame time just multiply by 10 at a 12km jog, patetic. In this game the player (you) is treated like a complete moron, or the developer where too lazy to write directions. A compass lead you straight to all missions. Talking about missions the main mission could be good is many bad game design weren t choosen. Like the auto leveling system that let your ennemies exactly the same lvl you are. Like the ability to not lvl. Like the possibility to finish the game at LVL 2. Like many immortal NPC, rendering your personnal choices irrelevant. Like combat not being tied to your stats anymore, its 100% finger related without the need of any skill: Forward, slash, backward or sidestep, slash rince and repeat. No matter who is your ennemy this will work every time, always 100% guaranteed or your money back. Combat lead to quest 90% of the quests are combat related, so any class non, or having poor vocation to combat related is a no go, So in the end your personal choices are irrelevant. In Oblivion the less relevant parts are the player choice. Did i speak about how irrelevent the side missions are, very few fun but absolutely none interesting to the main plot. And why would they be since the ennemies LVL with you what is be the relevance of getting stronger faster richer and even lvl up ? You should be in a the capital state of an empire, But there s absolutely nothing that give you this feeling, you could very well be in alska summer or whatever. Oblivion is at least 50% of all the TESS Lore. No wonder the previous game design team where fired or quited in middle project. You really feel it. The game sweat shallowness, misconcepts, and faulty to lazy design. I could go on pages. But to go to the point this game is an insult to the RPG gaming and its player. Thinkin bettter this game doesnt deserve a 2. Expand
  23. AdamC
    Sep 6, 2009
    I wanted really, really badly to like this game. It's absolutely beautiful (if you can run it that way, of course), and it's got some nice IDEAS as far as leveling goes. It's great that the NPCs have conversations with each other, it's great that there are theoretically consequences to your actions, it's wonderful that there are so many places to explore and I wanted really, really badly to like this game. It's absolutely beautiful (if you can run it that way, of course), and it's got some nice IDEAS as far as leveling goes. It's great that the NPCs have conversations with each other, it's great that there are theoretically consequences to your actions, it's wonderful that there are so many places to explore and quest, and the twitch combat is a breath of fresh air for those of us who really don't like watching our characters swing once every five seconds based on a dice roll. Unfortunately, none of these things are well-executed. Leveling based on the skills you use is intuitive and engaging and even if it's not a brand new idea, should have been a really wonderful way to feel like your character was getting stronger. Yet Oblivion has probably the worst leveling system I've ever experienced. Each skill is connected to an attribute. When you level up a skill, you gain a bonus to its connected attribute when you level. That means that to get the max (or close to) bonus for each level, you're going to have to grind away at minor skills (otherwise you'll level too quickly and won't receive a bonus). And if you choose just to play your character without trying to achieve bonuses, then monsters -- which level at the same time as you -- will ultimately surpass you in power. It also means a level one character is potentially the strongest character you can ever create. There's not much incentive to level. Of course if you don't level at all, you won't be able to use any new weapons or armor, because those begin dropping based on your level. And yeah, the highwaymen uses the same kind of armor as that bandit warlord at the end of the dungeon. The storyline begins with wonderful urgency, but as soon as the tutorial is over, you can basically ignore it completely. There are Oblivion Gates opening everywhere, but you could just leave them for like 2 years if you want, go do other things. The invasion will wait until you're good and ready to confront it. I'm all for open-ended and ambiguous, but removing structure entirely means that I really never felt engaged with the world I was playing in. One more problem is with the game's "Radiant AI." It's awesome that they leave their houses and go about town and do various things, but if they're going to have conversations...well...the voice acting for the most part is bad, but most of the conversations sound like Public Service Announcements anywa. "How are things with you?" "The [armor shop] in town makes great armor." "Bye." Spellmaking is a great idea, but there are only about four different spell animations, and although there are an IMMENSE number of spells (because you can make your own), there really aren't very many effects, which means you're basically casting the same four or five spells the entire game long. This isn't so different from other games, but it seems like the system here was setup to be so much more interesting than it turned out to be. Making up your own class is great, especially because if you want to play a warrior, you can't pick any of the preset ones due to the aforementioned leveling system. So essentially there's only one class I'll ever pick: custom. The game is absolutely huge and tried to do so much, but, at least for me, failed to really engage me in any meaningful way. This was a really great engine for an Role-playing game, I just wish there'd been a roleplaying game to play. Expand
  24. James
    Sep 5, 2009
    Dull, repetitive, unfinished, not original and MASSIVELY over-hyped! Oblivion is a prime example of the deterioration of quality in the PC gaming industry. Everything about this game is flawed and dislikable. Sure, you have a huge world to roam around and explore but why bother, the landscape design has just been repeated over and over again. Its utterly uninteresting. The dialogue is Dull, repetitive, unfinished, not original and MASSIVELY over-hyped! Oblivion is a prime example of the deterioration of quality in the PC gaming industry. Everything about this game is flawed and dislikable. Sure, you have a huge world to roam around and explore but why bother, the landscape design has just been repeated over and over again. Its utterly uninteresting. The dialogue is laughable. Whos brilliant idea was it to have the same actors (about 5) doing the the voice for the entire game population. And they are rubbish at it. They sound so flat and borring. None of the NPC characters feel like they have any depth. None what so ever! But its not just the voice quality which is poor, its the script as a whole. Its not gripping in the slightest, it feels lifeless. The game art and design is horrible. The characters for instance are for the ugliest Ive ever witnessed in a game. And their movements are all static and robotic, just another element that breaks your immersion from the game. Gameplay is awfull. Combat is a matter of frantic mouse clicking. Attack, block attack block, or as it becomes soon enough, attack, attack, attack, attack... win or run away. There is nothing about it to make you want more. And the leveling system... I mean come on. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! As you advance level so do your enemies??? So you have no real character development. Its pointless. Theres no reward for gaining skill and no motivation to continue. When you get to the highest skill level you want to be kicking ass. Not to be equal with your opponment like you were when you first started the game. The menus, this is appalling. It forces you into flicking back and forth between each section. No shortcuts. Irriatating in the least. The games story... yawn... nothing compelling in the slightest. Infact I never did complete Oblivion as I lost all interest. Now, I've rated this game a ZERO. It deserves it. I cannot understand why people are rating this game 10/10. My guess is they are kids who still have the fortunate ability to use their imaginations to over come all the short commings this game has. I have however no guess as to why the major industry critics have awarded Oblivion so much. Whatever happened to great game design with new innovative concepts??? Oblivion is a huge dissapointment that was a complete waste of my hard earn money. My advice is dont buy it, and dont be duped by all the 10/10 ratings! Expand
  25. NeilB
    Aug 29, 2009
    I've never voted on anything, but feel strongly that this game is not worth a grade higher than a three for the simple reason that it feels more like a chore than a game. You spend a tremendous amount of time juggling inventory, repairing weapons, opening locks creating potions and cleaning out bland fortresses and ruins. The monsters/enemies are all the same...fighting a skeleton is I've never voted on anything, but feel strongly that this game is not worth a grade higher than a three for the simple reason that it feels more like a chore than a game. You spend a tremendous amount of time juggling inventory, repairing weapons, opening locks creating potions and cleaning out bland fortresses and ruins. The monsters/enemies are all the same...fighting a skeleton is no different than fighting a bandit or a ghost...and the weapons and spells are also incredibly boring, especially compared with the Baldur's Gate series. Pick a weapon (e.g. sword, axe) add some kind of cold/fire/shock damage to it and that's all. Same for the spells...fire a projectile of heat/cold/shock and that's all (other than heal, which you will use constantly). The game offers an enormous number of spells, weapons, armor and potions, but there is nothing to get you excited or make you feel that the quest was worth it. It's an impressive game for the freedoms it offers, but it is extremely boring, repetitive and worst of all, NOT FUN. Expand
  26. JacobF
    Jul 26, 2009
    Talk about overhyped, by a long shot. Graphically, it's pretty incredible. But all graphics do is sell a game and keep one from poking their eyes out. Anything to with the actual game content is severely lacking. The story is very bland, and honestly, just isn't very good, (which is funny, because it was praised for that). It feels more like a wild goose chase, whether you have Talk about overhyped, by a long shot. Graphically, it's pretty incredible. But all graphics do is sell a game and keep one from poking their eyes out. Anything to with the actual game content is severely lacking. The story is very bland, and honestly, just isn't very good, (which is funny, because it was praised for that). It feels more like a wild goose chase, whether you have to go find someone, or an item. Granted, there are tons of side quests, ruins, and a vast world to explore, which might redeem the problem with the issue, but it does not redeem the gameplay. The gameplay becomes severely repetitive. After you close the fifty-trillionth Oblivion gate, the game becomes very tedious, and is more like a chore than a fun game. In order to expect to go anywhere with success, you must be a spell caster. The incentive to level up is gone, because they scale the enemies to match your level. Yes, this means when you're level 35, with the best sword the game has to offer, you're still going to die trying to fight off a bandit. Also, you're stuck, for the most part, fighting the same lot of enemies the entire game. A couple bandits or wolves here... A few Mystic Dawn cult members there... A heck of a lot of Daedra everywhere... There is very little diversity in what you fight, unless you specifically go looking for something different to fight. The game partially fails in the sound department. Not to say the sounds were bad, by any means, but they were repetitive, and had a few inconsistencies. They used the same actors, over and over. Heck, the one actor they didn't repeat was killed off in the first half-hour of gameplay, and was the best one in the game (Patrick Stewart)! I mentioned some inconsistencies earlier. The conversations and voices often go against the nature of the character. If you talk to a beggar, and she sounds like an uneducated beggar (as she should) at first, wait. Ask her some stuff, and she'll suddenly sound like a well-educated noble. There wasn't a lot of music, but that doesn't bother me as much, since in games like Oblivion and Morrowind, I prefer something a little quiet, just ambience, if at all. Conclusion Overall, Oblivion is a major disappointment, and fails to live up to the hype and praise it's constantly given. The graphics are nice, so I won't deduct points there. The story is crummy, although there are lots of sidequests and things to explore and do. I'll deduct a point for the story anyway, because it can't fully redeem the poorly executed goose chase that Bethesda tried to pass off as a storyline. The gameplay is incredibly repetitive, and is incredibly difficult unless you're a spellcaster. Deduction of two points here. The leveling system is stupid, and has no incentive because of the scaling, so deduction of three points here. The sounds need a little bit of work, due to the inconsistency between conversations, and the overuse of certain actors, and under usage of others (Patrick Stewart, again). They weren't bad, but definitely not perfect. Point deducted here. The lack of tons of music didn't really bother me, so no points were deducted. In short, don't waste your money on this game. It is a blemish to the entire RPG genre, and a proof to the nearsightedness of the entire game critic industry. Expand
  27. BobC
    Jul 24, 2009
    Just thinking of the sheer artistic talent and work that went into designing this game makes me very sad to see how lackluster the story, combat, and well, the entire game are. I have reinstalled Oblivion about 6 times now and tried to force myself to play it. Each time I do the Dark Brotherhood and Thieve's Guild quests and then quickly lose interest. I have never been able to stay Just thinking of the sheer artistic talent and work that went into designing this game makes me very sad to see how lackluster the story, combat, and well, the entire game are. I have reinstalled Oblivion about 6 times now and tried to force myself to play it. Each time I do the Dark Brotherhood and Thieve's Guild quests and then quickly lose interest. I have never been able to stay interested long enough to even finish the main story line but I hear it's about as long as some side quests in the game are. And when you're done you're left with a vast world of copy-pasted tunnels and villages and the same fields of grass over and over again occasionally interrupted by some ruins which rapidly become repetitive as well. Overall, I am giving this game a 2 merely out of how pretty it is. The combat is atrocious (mouse button 1 swing, mouse button 2 block - AMAZING FUN!), the voice acting is mediocre at best, and the UI is utter garbage and it is cumbersome to do anything with it. Oh, yeah - the NPCs are supposed to be extremely interesting with daily needs and things like that. They're still dry and boring, just like Morrowind! Only in this game, they have random impossible-to-believe conversations witih eachother such as follows: NPC 1: Did you hear about that Gray Fox thief? NPC 2: Yes NPC 3: Bye now Wow! Cool! Expand
  28. TimE
    Jul 22, 2009
    The game is huge, but it does not give the proper avenues for allowing you to explore it completely, such as dull quests and the tedious searching for these quests. The game felt very clunky; like when trying to pick up something, I was constantly slowed down from carrying too much. Auto-loot even picks up your enemies 10-ton rusty iron breastplates. Combat was decent and simple, but was The game is huge, but it does not give the proper avenues for allowing you to explore it completely, such as dull quests and the tedious searching for these quests. The game felt very clunky; like when trying to pick up something, I was constantly slowed down from carrying too much. Auto-loot even picks up your enemies 10-ton rusty iron breastplates. Combat was decent and simple, but was also clunky, it felt just like an FPS with a knife. The story was linear, and all the side quests were very "unimportant" and time consuming. With all the hype that this game has got, I believe even with outdated games such as Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate had a much better 'soul" than this game because I was not able to immerse myself into this world. I was not able to bring myself to finish this game completely, after 8 hours, I was too bored to continue. Expand
  29. FranckD
    Jul 21, 2009
    Mediocre. Beautifull but ordinary. Loosy combat system based on finger skill. You jaust have to press forward slash backward, sometime sidestep and bingo you ve gone trought all the game. The main quest is lousy and can be completed at lvl 2. Noone offer challenge due to the stupid system that let any of your ennemies ever your level. At least 50% of the classes are unplayable even going Mediocre. Beautifull but ordinary. Loosy combat system based on finger skill. You jaust have to press forward slash backward, sometime sidestep and bingo you ve gone trought all the game. The main quest is lousy and can be completed at lvl 2. Noone offer challenge due to the stupid system that let any of your ennemies ever your level. At least 50% of the classes are unplayable even going very slowly on combat since 90% of quests require bashing. Hail for the king Morrowind. Expand
  30. JonathanR
    Jun 18, 2009
    I'm confused again and again as to why this game is held to such vaulted heights. The biggest flaw are the economics of leveling. It's nearly impossible to raise a skill (or it's ridiculously simple, take your pick), which means you are either underdeveloped on stats or overdeveloped on an uncompetitive basis with the mobs that level alongside you. Magic is my favorite I'm confused again and again as to why this game is held to such vaulted heights. The biggest flaw are the economics of leveling. It's nearly impossible to raise a skill (or it's ridiculously simple, take your pick), which means you are either underdeveloped on stats or overdeveloped on an uncompetitive basis with the mobs that level alongside you. Magic is my favorite class, and without mods the magic system is so unrealistic as to be unusable. Expand
  31. Sep 10, 2010

So to put it short

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.