The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PC

8.1

1. Aug 15, 2010
    This game is not the best game of all time. In fact, it probably isn't in the top 20. For some reason, even though the game is filled with bugs and terrible design, people just overlook all its problems because the side quests are fun. I would like to list some of the major problems with the game that make it a 6 instead of a 9 or 10.

1. The main story. This should have been the best part

1. The main story. This should have been the best part of the game, and it should have been long and involving. It wasn't. All the story missions felt exactly the same as any side quest, but sometimes involving an Oblivion gate. It was boring and very disappointing, especially for an RPG.

2. The entire engine. Moving feels like your gliding above the ground, and when you're in the air it feels like you're above the surface of the moon moving yourself with a fan. Picking something up off a table causes all the other objects on it to jump, And when and the ragdoll physics make creatures and people look like broken piñatas.

3. The animations. When you hit something a 20 pound metal rod, you expect it to feel powerful. The animations make you feel like you're swinging a piece of hollow plastic. Facial expressions unfortunately fall right into the bottom of the uncanny valley, and one of the worst problems, Bethesda was too lazy to put in animations for running diagonally. People also just disappear when entering buildings.

4. The voice acting. The worst problem here is that there are, according to the Credits.txt file that came with the game, 9 voice actors, not including the unique characters. For a game where every single character can be interacted with, only having 9 voice actors is a massive issue. Not to mention that some characters, especially beggars, switch accents mid-dialogue. They greet you the same drawl as all the other beggars, then after you choose an option, they start talking with the same voice as the guards, and then back again during their next line. Another problem is that every single infinitely-spawning guard has the same voice actor. If they just had one other voice, it would have made a huge difference, but there's only one. Most of the dialogue is terribly generic, too.

There are very many other problems, such as the uninspired music, the ludicrous frequency of load screens, and the copy-pasted caves and dungeons, but I'll stop here.

Imagine if any other game had all these problems. It definitely wouldn't get reviews like this. If Mass Effect 3 came out with only 9 voice actors, a short and boring main story, no diagonal running animations, loading screens at every door, floaty controls, and planets like Mass Effect 1, I'm sure users would give it something like a 6. But because Oblivion as so much hype behind it, people automatically give it 10s. Now I still like the game. I've spent about 150 hours on it, but it really isn't as good as people think, and it is definitely not even close to perfect.
  2. RyanB
    Aug 7, 2010
    Best game I've ever played. Graphics are amazing, almost no lag for the amount of detail is put into everything. Vast amount of weapons, armors, AI, and quests. The weapons have outstanding amount of detail, along with the armors and such. The only real disappointment I had about this game was the short main story. But the 200+ side quests more than make up for it. If I had played Best game I've ever played. Graphics are amazing, almost no lag for the amount of detail is put into everything. Vast amount of weapons, armors, AI, and quests. The weapons have outstanding amount of detail, along with the armors and such. The only real disappointment I had about this game was the short main story. But the 200+ side quests more than make up for it. If I had played through the main quest without stopping to do side quests it maybe would have taken 4-5 hours. But, with the Shivering Isles expansion and the other expansions available for all three consoles, I've played the game for over 50 hours in total. Overall, This game is spectacular. I'd give it a 9.8 out of 10. Expand
  3. RaghaB.
    Mar 29, 2010
    I love this argument in the PC community about how games are "dumbed down for consoles." Now i'm sure that this argument works for other games, i dont know im relatively new to PC gaming. What I do know is that it does not work for TES games. Remember Morrowind guys? Yeah it came out on the X-box also. On to Oblivion. Being a huge Morrowind fan i was disappointed with Oblivion. While I love this argument in the PC community about how games are "dumbed down for consoles." Now i'm sure that this argument works for other games, i dont know im relatively new to PC gaming. What I do know is that it does not work for TES games. Remember Morrowind guys? Yeah it came out on the X-box also. On to Oblivion. Being a huge Morrowind fan i was disappointed with Oblivion. While the graphics are better (even on my lower end PC) The addition of the Quick Jump makes the world seem MUCH smaller than that of Morrowind. And the main story line is very repetitive. After what felt like the twentieth Oblivion Gate I said forget it and moved on...until i caught Vampirism and gave up all together. I can still pick up morrowind and play for hours but Oblivion was barely aboe to hold my attension for more than a few hours. The combat system upgrades (spell button FTW!!) and the shinnier graphics do not make up for the fact that Oblivion is not as good as its predecessor. If only Bethesda wold release a patch moving Morrowind into Oblivion's graphics and controls. That would be the perfect game. But hey dreamers can only Dream. Overall its a good game, There are just a few things missing from it that should have been kept in the game. Hopefully Bethesda learns from their mistakes and delvers an epic TES:V. Expand
  4. SlobodanO
    Mar 24, 2010
    This game is just an empty shell. Even the lauded graphics fail when it comes to the look of characters. Writing is abysmal. Horrible minigames instead of stat influenced outcomes. Horrible hack and slash combat. Bad engine. This game is not a RPG and what's worse, it's utterly boring.
  5. kungfucat196
    Mar 21, 2010
    My real vote would be 8.4 Ok lets get it started, the gra[hics were good for 2006, its alright. What makes the force of the game is the realism, EVERY but EVERY actions in the game will have an effect on the other AI surrounding you and there is a multitudes of ways to do the scenario, the world is deep and well made, a lot of efforts were put in, but it stops there. The AI is not good at My real vote would be 8.4 Ok lets get it started, the gra[hics were good for 2006, its alright. What makes the force of the game is the realism, EVERY but EVERY actions in the game will have an effect on the other AI surrounding you and there is a multitudes of ways to do the scenario, the world is deep and well made, a lot of efforts were put in, but it stops there. The AI is not good at all, a supplementary 3 month wouldn't have been too much for the game to fix the AI problems and the Glitches. Also, RTS games are my favorite, and i like wen im immerge in the story, like i was in Dragon age: origins or Kotor. The broken AI and universe dosen't help. You can do whatever you want, there is exacly NO LIMITS, a lot pf players are just playing this game for its mods, but i do not know some1 excepted me who alredy beated this game. too much limit is not good, but not enough too. All those facts dosen't immerse you in the story, well, it didn't for me. I had to force myself to finish this game. I didn't like this game, i gave a 7.5 for all the efforts they putted in and to respect those who liked that, but its not a game for amators of games like Kotor, mass effect and dragon age. Expand
  6. AndrewC
    Feb 28, 2010
    A tragically flawed game, saved only by a lovingly obsessive modding community. The real tragedy of Oblivion is not it's instability, the stupid main quest, the non-existent AI, the horrendously flawed leveling system, the annoying voice acting, the merely adequate combat system or even the ugly interface. It's none of these. Its that if you take the effort to download about 10 A tragically flawed game, saved only by a lovingly obsessive modding community. The real tragedy of Oblivion is not it's instability, the stupid main quest, the non-existent AI, the horrendously flawed leveling system, the annoying voice acting, the merely adequate combat system or even the ugly interface. It's none of these. Its that if you take the effort to download about 10 Gigabytes of 3rd party mods, from bug fixes, to complete overhauls that totally change almost every system in the game, you can see what this game could have been if Bethesda had just taken the effort. Then you understand why so many, me included love this game. Expand
  7. RoGuE
    Feb 3, 2010
    I have been playing this game now for over 3 years. I absolutely love it. It never gets boring, what, with all the different abilities, characters and secrets out there!! What the hell is with those poor, lifeless, cynical souls who give Oblivion a 0/10? Well, I have a message for you braindead people: This game is one of the best ever made, simply because, it's simple to play, I have been playing this game now for over 3 years. I absolutely love it. It never gets boring, what, with all the different abilities, characters and secrets out there!! What the hell is with those poor, lifeless, cynical souls who give Oblivion a 0/10? Well, I have a message for you braindead people: This game is one of the best ever made, simply because, it's simple to play, understand, and enjoy. The plot is excellent and well tied-in with the other TES titles, the combat is very diverse and can be done in many different ways, most quests are interesting and fun with great rewards, and it always has a very challenging aspect. If you have not got this game, (you poor, poor people) then I suggest succumbering to the hype and getting it as soon as possible!! Expand
  8. [anonymous]
    Jan 23, 2010
    Truly one of the greatest RPG's ever made. You can be whoever you want, do whatever you want, have whatever you want and be either good or evil. This game is truly encapsulating. An master piece which even when you have completed the game, is impossible to put down.
  9. BrandonL
    Jan 17, 2010
    The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in the game, well just about..... The combat system is very simple, you can learn new melee moves and spells are a breeze to use. Character customization is very large and creating your own class is a very interesting thing to use. Basically the sky is the limit in this game. Make your own spells and weapons with special abilites. Monsters play very much like you and everything they wear u can take which i really dig that. Quests are very very deep and not just a simple kill this and kill that. the AI plays very well and play similar to you. There is no shortage of things to do. I mean you can beat the game and hundreds and hundreds of quests. Difficulty can be adjusted. The game is user friendly and isn't difficult at all. Works perfectly on a console. It plays unlike any other RPG out there right now, besides fallout of course. PEOPLE WHO GIVE THIS GAME A 0/10 REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES A GOOD RPG A GOOD RPG!!! this game is amazing, graphics, voice acting, enviroment, combat system are all perfected and are amazing. Expand
  10. TheChosenOne
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lets get one thing straight; Oblivion has clearly been dumbed down for the consoles, and IS easily inferior in every way but graphics to its predeccessors. The plot is simple, dull, repetetive and stinks of a certain well-known film Franchise down to the voice actors, most of the loot is randomised(so stupid its hard to believe), most NPC's have 5 dialog options at best, and the Lets get one thing straight; Oblivion has clearly been dumbed down for the consoles, and IS easily inferior in every way but graphics to its predeccessors. The plot is simple, dull, repetetive and stinks of a certain well-known film Franchise down to the voice actors, most of the loot is randomised(so stupid its hard to believe), most NPC's have 5 dialog options at best, and the combat has been reduced to the depth of a Turded Salt Ayre. The most annoying thing though by far, is the content thats been removed. An RPG without Spears? Come on Bethesda, theres no excuse, its pathetic. Another brilliant series down the drain because of console gamers inert brains. Great. Expand
  11. SuperMan
    Dec 24, 2009
    Severely underrated game. Graphics and physics and still fast and responsive.
  12. AlexiK
    Dec 23, 2009
    Usually i find these sort of games to be pritty Nerdy, you know the sorts. Where you plod arround for hours trying to find some wood to construct a hovel out of. Oblivion is the exception however, and is one of the easiest to master RPG's iv played all year round.
  13. RadekK
    Dec 20, 2009
    A little easier and simpler than Morrowind, but I gave 10. I hope that next Elder Scrolls V will be even better.
  14. StephenS.
    Dec 9, 2009
    I can honestly say that this is my favorite game possibly created. Amazing graphics and game play, so many possibilities of character creation and everything is reflected on what you do in the game play world. If this was Co-op there would be no other game that could compete with this...
  15. Kronox
    Dec 1, 2009
    Not even gonna speak long on this game, its virtues are obvious. This is an instant classic and a must own on whatever platform you play. Anyone who thinks this is a bad game simply hasn't a clue as to what a good game is and their review is worthless.
  16. EE
    Nov 18, 2009
    Oblivion is an amazing game that lives up to the expectations set down by bethesda's other games such as morrowind and Fallout 3. Amazing graphics, wonderful performance, and hours of great fun. And when you finish with the game, just install a few mods and it is new again! Completely worth $50.
  17. TomVt
    Nov 5, 2009
    The beauty of this game does not make up for it's obvious flaws. While it is very fun to pick up once in a while, I never find myself playing through the game. Sure, it's not a linear game in the sense that you must follow a specific path - it is a very open ended game, but far from the open ended gameplay in for example Fallout 2. The scenery is wonderful, and the atmosphere is The beauty of this game does not make up for it's obvious flaws. While it is very fun to pick up once in a while, I never find myself playing through the game. Sure, it's not a linear game in the sense that you must follow a specific path - it is a very open ended game, but far from the open ended gameplay in for example Fallout 2. The scenery is wonderful, and the atmosphere is relaxing. I found myself picking flowers for an hour and making potions to poison my weapons. The close combat can be fun sometimes, but it feels wrong hitting a skeleton several times with a large hammer before it crumbles under it's feet. What I can't really forgive is the "big world" which is Oblivion. You walk into a town, and you overhear people taløking about some really evil demons that invaded a nearby town yesterday. (say, 1 or 2 miles away) The immersion really drops to a point of being hilariously implausible. What? So some demon lord have invaded a town nearby and doesn't move outside a radius of some hundred meters. I just don't get it. And don't forget the "randomized" interactions between npc's. Sometimes it works, but since it's "random" you can hear some pretty strange interactions. No doubt, I will pick it up again, just to sneak around castles and assassinating mayors and stealing their hidden treasures, but no way I'm gonna follow the main story. The pretentious boasting of it's scale coupled with it's serious flaws make it a potential victim for jokes. I recommend trying this game, but don't expect something big. It's a fun little game, nowhere as "big" as others say. The world is NOT big. Say, 25 square kilometres or something. And there are many towns at the size of a pack of farms. Expand
  18. IanV
    Oct 23, 2009
    The best example of setting the bar too high and stretching your resources too thin can be found within Oblivion. While everything within the world feels devoid of both life and meaning, there is an enormous amount of content to explore. Memorable quests stand out in a bitter sweet way, reminding you of the game's potential.
  19. JasonB
    Oct 20, 2009
    There seem to be people who hate on this game simply because it's not a "traditional" RPG. That is, in a game like this which is truly open; your own personal plot isn't spoonfed to you. Your own personal character history, motivation, and actions are all up to you and your imagination. If you don't have imagination and don't want to get lost in a non-linear world, There seem to be people who hate on this game simply because it's not a "traditional" RPG. That is, in a game like this which is truly open; your own personal plot isn't spoonfed to you. Your own personal character history, motivation, and actions are all up to you and your imagination. If you don't have imagination and don't want to get lost in a non-linear world, this isn't for you. As far as the main quest goes, yes it's short and rather unimpressive but much like old RPGs the wonder of the game is in the side-quests and off-the-path interactions. I put dozens of hours into this game without touching the main quest for days on end; I've played through four times and STILL find new things to uncover with each playthrough The game is relaxing when you want it to be, tense when it needs to be, and always engrossing. I don't know why the "old school" crowd is so venomous because it doesn't adhere to the rules of other RPGs. Why does everything have to be the same? Don't see Oblivion for what it isn't, see it for what it is. I can appreciate and love both types. 9 because while the game most definitely deserves its acclaim, some of its niggles had no business being there, like the console-ish menu system and repetitive voice actors. Expand
  20. JohnB
    Oct 12, 2009
    The game has a lot of content and enviroments are beautiful. Unfortunately there are some serious flaws. All the npc- characters in the game are ass ugly, generic and they act like robots. There are only adults in the game, and no one has a beard. I'm glad that they didn't include dwarves in this game since they too would propably be as tall as anyone and without beard. The The game has a lot of content and enviroments are beautiful. Unfortunately there are some serious flaws. All the npc- characters in the game are ass ugly, generic and they act like robots. There are only adults in the game, and no one has a beard. I'm glad that they didn't include dwarves in this game since they too would propably be as tall as anyone and without beard. The voice acting is mostly horrendous, and there are 2 or 3 music tracks in the whole game. Expand
  21. AlexM
    Oct 2, 2009
    I playing games since 1993. I played evrything from Tetris to Baldurs Gate. And i have to say this is best game ever made.Best RPG ever made , Best 3D RPG ever made , Best Graphics ever made , Best modding system ever made. Best Lore ever made. Oblivion is just Brilliant , if u didnt liked this game then u have no taste in beautiful things.
  22. AnonymousMC
    Oct 1, 2009
    This game is by far the best RPG to offer to those who love Magick and Enchanting storys alltho the game has somewhat of a short campain the Mods made for this game keep more coming and coming with 100's of quest's in game and countless mods being made by fans Oblivion will never get boring to those who wait and give it a chance I myself have been playing this game for 2 yearsThis game is by far the best RPG to offer to those who love Magick and Enchanting storys alltho the game has somewhat of a short campain the Mods made for this game keep more coming and coming with 100's of quest's in game and countless mods being made by fans Oblivion will never get boring to those who wait and give it a chance I myself have been playing this game for 2 years and am not bored yet instead I love that Bethesda lets modders alter the game as they want in some feeling I think Bethesda gets a chuckle outa seeing how far we can make oblivion go therefor Im giving this game a 10 Expand
  23. LeviA.
    Sep 22, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played. Ignore the whiny little kids with poor grammar skills that rated it low. They probably played it for about 20 minutes before stopping. The game may also require somewhat of an imagination too play. I have had this game for 4 years and still haven't completed the main quest and I still play it once every week. It is the best game ever made.
  24. MarcD
    Sep 17, 2009
    The only department this game is a winner is the make up department. This game is really poor compared to previous TES titles. The terrain althought claimed wider than Morrowind give a shrinked feeling. You can cross it in 20 real time minutes jog on its wider part, talk about a country, 6KM long 4 Km wide if much If you take ingame time just multiply by 10 at a 12km jog, patetic. In this The only department this game is a winner is the make up department. This game is really poor compared to previous TES titles. The terrain althought claimed wider than Morrowind give a shrinked feeling. You can cross it in 20 real time minutes jog on its wider part, talk about a country, 6KM long 4 Km wide if much If you take ingame time just multiply by 10 at a 12km jog, patetic. In this game the player (you) is treated like a complete moron, or the developer where too lazy to write directions. A compass lead you straight to all missions. Talking about missions the main mission could be good is many bad game design weren t choosen. Like the auto leveling system that let your ennemies exactly the same lvl you are. Like the ability to not lvl. Like the possibility to finish the game at LVL 2. Like many immortal NPC, rendering your personnal choices irrelevant. Like combat not being tied to your stats anymore, its 100% finger related without the need of any skill: Forward, slash, backward or sidestep, slash rince and repeat. No matter who is your ennemy this will work every time, always 100% guaranteed or your money back. Combat lead to quest 90% of the quests are combat related, so any class non, or having poor vocation to combat related is a no go, So in the end your personal choices are irrelevant. In Oblivion the less relevant parts are the player choice. Did i speak about how irrelevent the side missions are, very few fun but absolutely none interesting to the main plot. And why would they be since the ennemies LVL with you what is be the relevance of getting stronger faster richer and even lvl up ? You should be in a the capital state of an empire, But there s absolutely nothing that give you this feeling, you could very well be in alska summer or whatever. Oblivion is at least 50% of all the TESS Lore. No wonder the previous game design team where fired or quited in middle project. You really feel it. The game sweat shallowness, misconcepts, and faulty to lazy design. I could go on pages. But to go to the point this game is an insult to the RPG gaming and its player. Thinkin bettter this game doesnt deserve a 2. Expand
  25. HenryS
    Sep 12, 2009
    This is the best RPG ever, EVER. I have finished this game on three difirent platforms (360 (RROD), PS3 (YLOD) and PC. And not once have I found this game repetive. Every time I play again I find a new quest a new itme, or I just repeat the same quests just for the hell of it. Those who think this game is Lacklustre obiously have no taste in games or this isn't their genre for in This is the best RPG ever, EVER. I have finished this game on three difirent platforms (360 (RROD), PS3 (YLOD) and PC. And not once have I found this game repetive. Every time I play again I find a new quest a new itme, or I just repeat the same quests just for the hell of it. Those who think this game is Lacklustre obiously have no taste in games or this isn't their genre for in which case shouldn't be reviewing it. Best RPG ever. Expand
  26. JacobL
    Sep 12, 2009
    Oblivion, is simply brilliant game! The plot line is imersive, the gameplay is thrilling, the adventuring is invigerating! When it was first released, most common computer systems had a hard time playing it. But now, with rigs that can play Crysis at 250 FPS, Oblivion's graphics system is merly a tick on ones RAM. I recomend all action/adventure gamers imediatly go to there local Oblivion, is simply brilliant game! The plot line is imersive, the gameplay is thrilling, the adventuring is invigerating! When it was first released, most common computer systems had a hard time playing it. But now, with rigs that can play Crysis at 250 FPS, Oblivion's graphics system is merly a tick on ones RAM. I recomend all action/adventure gamers imediatly go to there local game store and pick up a copy! Bravo Bethesda for creating such a wonderful game! Expand
  27. AdamC
    Sep 6, 2009
    I wanted really, really badly to like this game. It's absolutely beautiful (if you can run it that way, of course), and it's got some nice IDEAS as far as leveling goes. It's great that the NPCs have conversations with each other, it's great that there are theoretically consequences to your actions, it's wonderful that there are so many places to explore and I wanted really, really badly to like this game. It's absolutely beautiful (if you can run it that way, of course), and it's got some nice IDEAS as far as leveling goes. It's great that the NPCs have conversations with each other, it's great that there are theoretically consequences to your actions, it's wonderful that there are so many places to explore and quest, and the twitch combat is a breath of fresh air for those of us who really don't like watching our characters swing once every five seconds based on a dice roll. Unfortunately, none of these things are well-executed. Leveling based on the skills you use is intuitive and engaging and even if it's not a brand new idea, should have been a really wonderful way to feel like your character was getting stronger. Yet Oblivion has probably the worst leveling system I've ever experienced. Each skill is connected to an attribute. When you level up a skill, you gain a bonus to its connected attribute when you level. That means that to get the max (or close to) bonus for each level, you're going to have to grind away at minor skills (otherwise you'll level too quickly and won't receive a bonus). And if you choose just to play your character without trying to achieve bonuses, then monsters -- which level at the same time as you -- will ultimately surpass you in power. It also means a level one character is potentially the strongest character you can ever create. There's not much incentive to level. Of course if you don't level at all, you won't be able to use any new weapons or armor, because those begin dropping based on your level. And yeah, the highwaymen uses the same kind of armor as that bandit warlord at the end of the dungeon. The storyline begins with wonderful urgency, but as soon as the tutorial is over, you can basically ignore it completely. There are Oblivion Gates opening everywhere, but you could just leave them for like 2 years if you want, go do other things. The invasion will wait until you're good and ready to confront it. I'm all for open-ended and ambiguous, but removing structure entirely means that I really never felt engaged with the world I was playing in. One more problem is with the game's "Radiant AI." It's awesome that they leave their houses and go about town and do various things, but if they're going to have conversations...well...the voice acting for the most part is bad, but most of the conversations sound like Public Service Announcements anywa. "How are things with you?" "The [armor shop] in town makes great armor." "Bye." Spellmaking is a great idea, but there are only about four different spell animations, and although there are an IMMENSE number of spells (because you can make your own), there really aren't very many effects, which means you're basically casting the same four or five spells the entire game long. This isn't so different from other games, but it seems like the system here was setup to be so much more interesting than it turned out to be. Making up your own class is great, especially because if you want to play a warrior, you can't pick any of the preset ones due to the aforementioned leveling system. So essentially there's only one class I'll ever pick: custom. The game is absolutely huge and tried to do so much, but, at least for me, failed to really engage me in any meaningful way. This was a really great engine for an Role-playing game, I just wish there'd been a roleplaying game to play. Expand
  28. AnonymousMC
    Sep 5, 2009
    1. To compare it to Fallout 3, unless you really would rather just go over a repeating landscape for a few hours and kill some enlarged animals along the way, this game has more content then any of you can make up. The DLC are broken, buggy and empty, quests arent really anything worth speaking of, and there's only about 7 of them (side quests) so that should explain itself. The main1. To compare it to Fallout 3, unless you really would rather just go over a repeating landscape for a few hours and kill some enlarged animals along the way, this game has more content then any of you can make up. The DLC are broken, buggy and empty, quests arent really anything worth speaking of, and there's only about 7 of them (side quests) so that should explain itself. The main quest had it's points, that's all that game has going for it unless you play it for the guts. 2. To Morrowind fans - Oblivion is VERY sorry for being user friendly. You guys are some of the most dogmatic idiots I've ever read of. 3. Leveling system - Propose a better one, don't just complain. There are plenty of other options for it if you play on PC and are willing to use mods. 4. Combat - Same as above. It's not great, but there ARE many ways you can make it fitting to you. 5. Quests - Wow. Show me an RPG that isn't just "go get this item, kill this group/person, investigate this/that, clear out this cave". There isn't one. Rating 10 to balance out some of the ridiculous, unexplained 0's. Will it make a difference, I doubt it. At least no one with any internet-savvy will take you seriously, and just know you're the regular drama loving fool. Expand
  29. James
    Sep 5, 2009
    Dull, repetitive, unfinished, not original and MASSIVELY over-hyped! Oblivion is a prime example of the deterioration of quality in the PC gaming industry. Everything about this game is flawed and dislikable. Sure, you have a huge world to roam around and explore but why bother, the landscape design has just been repeated over and over again. Its utterly uninteresting. The dialogue is Dull, repetitive, unfinished, not original and MASSIVELY over-hyped! Oblivion is a prime example of the deterioration of quality in the PC gaming industry. Everything about this game is flawed and dislikable. Sure, you have a huge world to roam around and explore but why bother, the landscape design has just been repeated over and over again. Its utterly uninteresting. The dialogue is laughable. Whos brilliant idea was it to have the same actors (about 5) doing the the voice for the entire game population. And they are rubbish at it. They sound so flat and borring. None of the NPC characters feel like they have any depth. None what so ever! But its not just the voice quality which is poor, its the script as a whole. Its not gripping in the slightest, it feels lifeless. The game art and design is horrible. The characters for instance are for the ugliest Ive ever witnessed in a game. And their movements are all static and robotic, just another element that breaks your immersion from the game. Gameplay is awfull. Combat is a matter of frantic mouse clicking. Attack, block attack block, or as it becomes soon enough, attack, attack, attack, attack... win or run away. There is nothing about it to make you want more. And the leveling system... I mean come on. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! As you advance level so do your enemies??? So you have no real character development. Its pointless. Theres no reward for gaining skill and no motivation to continue. When you get to the highest skill level you want to be kicking ass. Not to be equal with your opponment like you were when you first started the game. The menus, this is appalling. It forces you into flicking back and forth between each section. No shortcuts. Irriatating in the least. The games story... yawn... nothing compelling in the slightest. Infact I never did complete Oblivion as I lost all interest. Now, I've rated this game a ZERO. It deserves it. I cannot understand why people are rating this game 10/10. My guess is they are kids who still have the fortunate ability to use their imaginations to over come all the short commings this game has. I have however no guess as to why the major industry critics have awarded Oblivion so much. Whatever happened to great game design with new innovative concepts??? Oblivion is a huge dissapointment that was a complete waste of my hard earn money. My advice is dont buy it, and dont be duped by all the 10/10 ratings! Expand
  30. SD
    Aug 31, 2009
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. It may be beautiful, but that can scarcely hide the wafer thin plot or the mind-numbing repetition. Creating a great virtual world is one thing, and here this has been achieved. But a great virtual world needs to be inhabited to beings that aren't just clones of each other, and it needs to contain a game that's not just being an armed Fed Ex guy in a Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. It may be beautiful, but that can scarcely hide the wafer thin plot or the mind-numbing repetition. Creating a great virtual world is one thing, and here this has been achieved. But a great virtual world needs to be inhabited to beings that aren't just clones of each other, and it needs to contain a game that's not just being an armed Fed Ex guy in a pretty mythological world. Expand

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.