8.1

1. Jan 13, 2012
    The story for the main quest was pathetic at best, Though the side missions had a lot better stories but none were truely great. A ton of bugs and glitches as well as lag, It doesnt help that the game has only 4 patches that dont even fix a majority of the problems the game suffers from.

What saves the game is that it can be modded to add a ton of user created, Which is suprisingly better then most of the content in the game.
  2. Aug 21, 2011
    I did play Morrow Wind before. And i did enjoy Oblivion a lot. The story sucks in, RPG element is very well balanced, and it's just fun to explore the world, finding caves and looting skeletons! :) Just make sure to get some MODS - it's gonna make the game even better!
  3. Oct 2, 2010
    This game was to some degree a let down to me, but simply because I loved Morrowind so much. The game itself is very good, a great RPG that follows that traditional open ended free to do what you want formula. I did find the main story to be a bit short and a bit too linear but overall I think this is a great PC game that every RPG fan should play.
  4. Aug 2, 2014
    The problem of Oblivion was that it had to follow up to the absolute masterpiece that was previous chapter in TES series - Morrowind. Compared to that, it's true that Oblivion felt quite a bit weaker, locations were a bit too monotonous, the interface a bit too consolized, faces terribly ugly, voice acting over repeated to death, game mechanics simplified and to my taste it all felt a bitThe problem of Oblivion was that it had to follow up to the absolute masterpiece that was previous chapter in TES series - Morrowind. Compared to that, it's true that Oblivion felt quite a bit weaker, locations were a bit too monotonous, the interface a bit too consolized, faces terribly ugly, voice acting over repeated to death, game mechanics simplified and to my taste it all felt a bit too much like a kiddie fairytale sometimes. BUT... Oblivion was still capable to do what all the TES chapters do so well, immerse you in the world, make you forget the real one and let you enjoy the fantasy experience for hundreds of hours. While I wasn't a big fan of the leveling system where the enemies were leveling up along with you, it kept the challenge on par until the very end, also the economics and money seemed to be the best balanced from TES series, meaning you won't usually become a millionaire in a few days, but most importantly, Oblivion had imo arguably the best quest lines in TES series and that's a huge plus. Yes, the main quest with oblivion gates was terribly annoying and it made me skip it and run through them eventually, but the Mages Guild quests, Thieves Guild and especially Dark Brotherhood were just fantastic. This was also the first TES game where I was fully enjoying myself as a vampire. DLC's were ok, Knights Of The Nine being a nice big quest nicely implemented into the main game and Shivering Isles providing you the experience of something a bit different and a bit trippy. While I can't go for the full score here because of the shortcomings, Oblivion is still an excellent game and it would be a big mistake to miss out on this. 9/10 Expand
  5. Nov 3, 2013
    Sadly, while bethesda sorted out the control system and and voice acting for this installment of the elder scrolls, they removed the heart and character from it. It's still a good game with a lot of content but compared to other installments this is the ugly step-child.
  6. Jan 4, 2017
    Deutsche Review - Kritik

Deutsche Review - Kritik

Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden?
    Dann sind hier meine Punkte.

Mein persönlicher Score = 77/100
    Mein User Score = 8/10
  7. Dec 28, 2014
    Objectively, I score this game a solid 6 due to its many unavoidable annoyances. It would score at 7 if the annoyances were eliminated but it is nothing like its predecessor and not as good as its successor. Oblivion had a lot of hype during development. We were promised all star voice acting, real intelligent AI behavior, and a larger landmass... well, it turns out that they were all halfObjectively, I score this game a solid 6 due to its many unavoidable annoyances. It would score at 7 if the annoyances were eliminated but it is nothing like its predecessor and not as good as its successor. Oblivion had a lot of hype during development. We were promised all star voice acting, real intelligent AI behavior, and a larger landmass... well, it turns out that they were all half truths and half lies.

There was all star voice acting but it was very limited to a hand full of characters. Everyone else was annoying as hell with repetitive comments and inappropriate tones that drove me mad 10 hours into the game. How many times did we run into a young girl with the voice of a raspy women on her death bed? Or an old man with a high pitch youngster voice? Voices were reused and assigned to characters randomly resulting in very strange combination which actually distracted from the game and immersion.

Intelligent AI behavior? Jobs and economy? Yea right. This was a pure lie. AI behavior was all scripted and none of it was intelligent by any stretch of the word. AI did not have real jobs, they just followed a scripted schedule to open at x hour and close at y hour. At z hour they ate and w hour they slept. It was lame. It was not intelligent. It was no different than any other game made as far back as the NES. How unintelligent was the AI? Well, you could kill a guard next to another guard while sneaking, and the living guard will not care. He will make a comment about a dead person and even if you uncover yourself he will just stand there. You could even drag the dead guard in front of him and he will not care. Same with any other AI controlled character in the game (not just guards). At the same time, god help you if someone in a city sees you stealing because all hell will break loose and every guard in the entire city will instantly know you are a criminal and they will all come after you at once. Lame lame lame lame. This became a major problem sometimes because unless you use the PC console commands, it could break your game permanently. AI my backside.

Larger landmass they tell us... well, the landmass was "larger" but it was mostly just the same damn environment copy and pasted over and over. The entire place looked the same. Morrowind had character and even Skyrim has some character but Oblivion was just plain and boring. It was the same no matter where you went and even ruins were just copy/pasted over and over (albeit Morrowind suffered from the same issue when it came to ruins). Bottom line, they may not have lied, but it was not as impressive as they wanted us to believe.

Aside from the annoyances above, there were a few more problems.

Level scaling... although this happens in a lot of games, in Oblivion is was not done well at all. The same enemy you faced at level will have 10x as many hit points when you are level 10 and they will look exactly the same and spawn in the same places. It killed immersion greatly because combat became mundane and unnecessarily long due to how many hip points each goblin, demon, or animal had as you leveled. The problem is that damage did not increase at the same pace as hit points so it made the player feel weaker. In Oblivion, you are much more powerful at level 5 than you are at level 20 and it killed any feeling of progression normally associated with RPG's. It clearly was not tested enough. They use similar systems in Morrowind and Skyrim but it was much better balanced. On top of that, unique weapons gained from god quests also level scaled... yes you read that right. If you do a quest at low level, you get a weak version of the rewarded weapon! And the weapon does not gain power as you level so it becomes obsolete almost instantly since they are all worse than enchanted weapons anyway. How lame is that.

Next, enchanting, spell making and itemization were all "streamlined" which we all know means dumbed down for consoles and low IQ players. Everything was strictly controlled gone was a lot of the fun we had in Morrowind like levitating around the world to explore. You can still enchant powerful stuff but it was also made much easier almost to the point that it felt unearned whereas in Morriwind it felt awesome when you were able to trap a soul and enchant even the most basic of things. In Oblivion it was very easy and felt like cheating from the get go.

Bottom line, a good game but it is no Morrowind. Too many annoyances keep it from being great but still it is better than most games you find on the shelf. It still is a fun open world game with plenty to do albeit without the sense of satisfaction associated with many RPG's.
  8. May 22, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily toElder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily to the atmosphere, making you feel like part of this enormous world. However majority of those locations I've mentioned are pretty repetitive. A lot of caves and other dungeons look the same. Hence the free-roaming does get boring eventually. The character creation feature however is phenomenal. First of all you get to choose one of 10 races (4 races of humans, 3 races of elves, and then also orcs, argonians and khajiit), each one with its own set of pros and cons. After you've chosen a race you customize the character's appearance, all of their facial features, etc. After that you pick a class. Best idea to perhaps customize your own class, because the way it works is that each class favours a certain set of skills and attributes, meaning you get bonuses to those at the start and they are the ones that would contribute to your levelling up. So getting to choose the attributes yourself is the best. The main story is not bad. It does have its good bits and also some boring bits, but all in all worth playing through at least once. The game has a huge amount of side quests too, as well as 4 different factions, all of which have their own story arcs as well - Fighter's guild, Mages' guild, Thieves' guild and The Dark Brotherhood (aka Assassins' guild). There is a good variety of various armors and weapons. However for the most part the better items only start appearing once you reach a certain level, and the levelling up is rather slow. Nevertheless, due to such a big variety of skills, the game can be played in many different ways - a sturdy paladin, a silent archer, a fierce spellcaster, a poison assassin, a hand-to-hand fighter, etc. However playing as the same character for long does get repetitive, and hence I'd say Oblivion is not one of those games you tend to come back to very quickly after completing it. Overall it's a beautiful and very atmospheric game. It's a consuming new world. That's what it is. When you play Oblivion, you find yourself feeling like you're part of it. Expand
  9. Jul 30, 2012
    this was best game i loved xbox version ps3 version & pc version i love this game so much no glitches no nothing perfect only thing is if they re did this game i hope they make it with compatible with xbox controller
  10. Nov 11, 2012
    When Oblivion first came out, I, and pretty much every other gamer out there, was blown away by the improvements in TES graphics and physics. I must have spent hours watching the guy shoot that bucket with an arrow. Oblivion was THE game to test your PCs capability on. Apart from that, though, the only thing it really improved on over Morrowind was the combat - you could now activelyWhen Oblivion first came out, I, and pretty much every other gamer out there, was blown away by the improvements in TES graphics and physics. I must have spent hours watching the guy shoot that bucket with an arrow. Oblivion was THE game to test your PCs capability on. Apart from that, though, the only thing it really improved on over Morrowind was the combat - you could now actively swing and block instead of having to wait for the stars to align. Questing more or less remained the same, but the setting and certain aspects of the leveling process were huge steps backward. For one, the unique, jungle environment that Cyrodiil originally had was traded in for Generic European Fantasy World #64. Levelled loot and enemies were also a huge problem. The higher level you got, the tougher (read: bullet sponge-y) your enemies got - a case could be made that the game is easier to complete the lower level you are. Radiant AI was also not what it was cracked up to be. Still, Oblivion is a decent RPG and worth a look if you enjoy TES series or RPGs in general. Expand
  11. May 16, 2013
    The best game of 2006 when fully patched! Huge and beautiful world of Syrodyl can give you an adventure you won't forget! Sure it has it's downside lack of memorable characters(except maybe Martin voiced by Sean Bean), and most missions are boring (go bring me...).
  12. Oct 13, 2014
    I haven't played this game until last year and I have to say that I was disappointed. All I wanted was to have a great single player experience. But I didn't get it. After completing the first story quest, I immediately skipped to the place where the second one was in order to realize that I had absolutely no chance against the enemies present in the Demon Gate. The game wanted me toI haven't played this game until last year and I have to say that I was disappointed. All I wanted was to have a great single player experience. But I didn't get it. After completing the first story quest, I immediately skipped to the place where the second one was in order to realize that I had absolutely no chance against the enemies present in the Demon Gate. The game wanted me to endlessly grind and level up in order to be able to progress further.

So, I decided to try some quests. One got my interest, in which a guy got robbed by some ladies while having "fun" with them. To my surprise, when I got to their hidden cottage, no one came and I got locked inside with no other way of getting out. I found out that it was a bug, so I tried this quest several other times and the girls remained at their original place - in the city. After killing them, the quest didn't progress, because they weren't in the location they were supposed to be in. How lame.

To sum it up, when the first quest in the game you try is so bugged that it cannot even be completed - that says something about the overall quality of the game. If only I could follow the storyline without having to complete buggy quests beforehand ...
  13. Feb 29, 2016
    Lots of unfixed bugs. The first game from Bethesda I played. As I mentioned in Skyrim review, the story is flat and fade but provided me with lot of fun.
  14. May 17, 2011
    This was the game that made me finally drop my xbox and buy a decent pc some years ago. I have been modding and enjoying Oblivion ever since and still manage to add fresh new content. This was the ultimate world builder and gaming experience. Since then its costs me thousands in constantly buying and upgrading my PC but if I consider the entertainment I have had out of it and theThis was the game that made me finally drop my xbox and buy a decent pc some years ago. I have been modding and enjoying Oblivion ever since and still manage to add fresh new content. This was the ultimate world builder and gaming experience. Since then its costs me thousands in constantly buying and upgrading my PC but if I consider the entertainment I have had out of it and the hours of fun I have had in Cyrodil. Its been money well spent. Expand
  15. Jul 12, 2014
    Oblivion is mine most favorite TES game (morrowind is really close here) and one of mine most favorite games. This game got awesome world, great RPG system (improved morrowind system, witch is better than system in Skyrim in mine opinion (yes perks were good idea, but the removal of stats was not)). The biggest + this game has are the quests, Dark brotherhood and main quest line areOblivion is mine most favorite TES game (morrowind is really close here) and one of mine most favorite games. This game got awesome world, great RPG system (improved morrowind system, witch is better than system in Skyrim in mine opinion (yes perks were good idea, but the removal of stats was not)). The biggest + this game has are the quests, Dark brotherhood and main quest line are really fun to play and even other factions are solid. The side quests are awesome as well. The only bad think is enemy leveling system, but it can be moded.
    PS:
    I really recommend to mod this game hard, Oblivion got very good mods and it can became a game for a long play.
  16. Oct 9, 2011
    100+ hours of content before you even added the DLCs, decent graphics for the release year, okay combat system, very atmospheric music and sound, totally moddable so you can get updates to just about everything. Just about the perfect RPG of the decade.
  17. Feb 17, 2012
    From when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexusFrom when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexus oblivion mods). As an unmodded game it's a 8/10 in the current climate. As a modded game. It's a 10/10. This score reflects the modded version. Expand
  18. Oct 5, 2012
    The advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled withThe advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled with difficulty spikes at all. Rather you will need to bump up the game difficulty as you progress to a demi-god mastering all skill areas. Except for superficial graphics, EVERYTHING in Oblivion is better and more fun than Skyrim. Especially the guild quests, but also such things as the NPC's despite the ridculous encounter interface and the use of only 5 voice actors. Yet the core reason it is MUCH better, is that the player can build their character as they like and can master all fields with no penalty. Crafting and magic in this game is far more potent, interesting and worthwhile than in Skyrim. The Elven Ruins have a far better mood than the Dwarven ones. When you consider how perfect the keybingings and the UI are in this game to how poor they are in Skyrim its clear that it is Oblivion, not Morrowind that marks the highpoint of Bethesda fantasy RPG design. Before they start anything else the team owes it to their fans to spend 12 months making a massive patch to bring all that fails so bad in Skyrim back up to the level they had yet lost with Oblivion. Expand
  19. Sep 2, 2012
    I remember when I played this game when it first came out on pc, on a new system I had just built. This game at that time blew my mind. This was the first "open world" game I played, and the sheer magnitude was astonishing. The graphics and gameplay opened a whole new world for me. It does take some time to get going, but once you are moving you can't stop. The world map is huge and theirI remember when I played this game when it first came out on pc, on a new system I had just built. This game at that time blew my mind. This was the first "open world" game I played, and the sheer magnitude was astonishing. The graphics and gameplay opened a whole new world for me. It does take some time to get going, but once you are moving you can't stop. The world map is huge and their are TONS of locations. I do believe some of the cities and dungeons can be a bit repetitive and the fighting mechanics aren't the best, but for its time this was a truly great open world. I would like to see a bigger variety of armor and weapons, but there's still a lot here. It was also cool going through portals to oblivion to fight off evil, and this was just one piece to a giant puzzle. Overall I think the game could have been perfected, a lot of mods out now are interesting and worth trying, but it is still an very good adventure! Expand
  20. Jan 14, 2016
    For a lively RPG world, play Gothic instead (the 2nd being my favourite). Or keep playing Morrowind if you like Morrowind: the exploration of the scenery was way cooler and surprising in Elder Scrolls 3.

I'm not kidding. Oblivion continues the trend of quantity over quality. Of big is beautiful, when it so obviously is not. Just look at the ugliness of the massive imperial city, clearly designed by people who didn't grow up surrounded by ancient ruins and monuments. Nothing looks real about these walls. Nothing.

There is some good in Oblivion, but largely outweighed by the bad, the worse and the pathetic. The excellent covers 2 things:
    - Character creation is well open; you can create and name your own class, based on the skills of your choice, which incidentally is exactly what I needed.
    - NPCs have their own conversations. It's basic but very effective.

The good section isn't more crowded:
    - Pickpocketing is pleasant (despite the randomness and the save/load routine.)
    - NPCs give geographical indications. Again, it's basic but agreeable. It makes for a promising future.

Let's adequately put the average in the middle section:
    - The world is vast, but pretty much empty and lifeless.Travelling is not dangerous like in other games. Villages have no charm and no soul. Ruins are nice the first time, until you realise it's all about cut n' paste. And then... there are loading screens between zones.
    - Automatic travel. I can't put it in the bad section since I'm not forced to use it, but it does remove the thrill of being lost and alone in the wilderness. Every other game does the teleportation thing much better by requiring an activation.
    - Touch 1 apple and every other object around will jump and roll. This would be in the bad section if the physics engine had any impact on the game.

The bad section is by far the most populated:
    - The interface is ludicrous. As the top offender, the Escape key doesn't close windows. It doesn't affect the GUI and instead brings forth the game menu.
    - Quick Load isn't directly accessible when the game is paused. Oh, you do have the possibility to load... by calling the menu, but the quick key doesn't function and is specifically programmed to tell you that you can't quick load. Now rate that level of ridiculous on a scale of 0 to 10.
    - You can improve your skills in game by keeping a key pressed. Just wow.
    - There is no AI. What. So. E. Ver.
    - The map is tiny and virtually useless. No enlargement, no zoom, no markers, no common sense...
    - The bartering system is inane. It is also advantageous to sell your 250 arrows 1 by 1. I'm not kidding.
    - You have to play a childish mini-game before each NPC interaction to make sure you'll get all dialogue options and the best bargains. I'm still not kidding.
    - Everybody is the same. No, not kidding. Apart from their race, everybody has a similar ugly face, has a similar boring long name that won't stick, and speaks with 1 out of 3 or 4 voices. I can't identify anyone. Absolutely nobody is memorable.
    - Everything is randomised. Therefore, every action calls for a save/try/reload routine.
    - Seriously, even picking up a plant or a mushroom is randomised and can fail, who knows why. As a bonus if you will, a picked up plant doesn't disappear. That's how good the visual clues are.

Don't think I'm done yet. Now comes the section of the truly pathetic:
    - Behold the worst lock-picking system of all times. Here, playing a thief is an ordeal. Or a deal-breaker.
    - There are no fences to sell your stolen goods to, therefore there is no point in thieving. I'm slightly exaggerating, since you'll have access to fences if you go to the one place in the so-called immense world to do the one thing that will connect you with the so ever-present, so American, and so absurd concept of a thieves guild, but I would argue that this forced path makes it even worse.
    - Level scaling. I think that's what it's called. It's the retarded notion that the world improves every time you improve, so as to remove any sense of immersion, emotion, strategy, accomplishment, fun, motivation, and whatnot.
    - Somehow in the same vein, here is yet another example of how dreadfully the game is designed: Improving your alchemy adds negative effects to your ingredients. As a corollary, a poisonous plant will kill you when ingested, but only if you know it's poisonous, otherwise it is harmless. For the last time, I am not kidding.
  21. Jan 5, 2013
    Oblivion is no doubt an excellent game. My review might be a bit judgement-clouded because I've played Skyrim and waited too long to do a review on this game. On one hand, the storytelling, character development, spells and variety of weapons/skills/potions are all done with brilliance. On the other hand, some parts of the game seem insanely rushed and unpolished. The caves are copy andOblivion is no doubt an excellent game. My review might be a bit judgement-clouded because I've played Skyrim and waited too long to do a review on this game. On one hand, the storytelling, character development, spells and variety of weapons/skills/potions are all done with brilliance. On the other hand, some parts of the game seem insanely rushed and unpolished. The caves are copy and pastes. The time-freezing when talking to NPC's is very stupid and sucks away the atmosphere. The level up system is pretty bad, but tolerable... Somewhat. Some NPC's will change the pitch of their voice out of nowhere. The sneaking is done well, but can be very unpredictable and frustrating because you can still be detected no matter how quiet or far away you were. No diagonal running, ugh. The dialogue between NPC's is as bad as a Tommy Wiseau movie. Some potions found in the game have hardly any reason to exist, because potions like "Restore 1 Luck Point" is beyond trivial. Overall, the game is great, but the many glitches and laziness of the game is there too. Expand
  22. Mar 30, 2017
    I am giving Oblivion and 8, Skyrim a 9.5 and Morrowind a 10. Personally, I still feel that although Oblivion was a great game, it was a step back for the series. The level-scaling enemies, bland dungeons and procedurally-generated loot were awful. But fortunately, the soundtrack was time-stoppingly awesome, the combat was improved and the land was a sight to see. I modded my game to theI am giving Oblivion and 8, Skyrim a 9.5 and Morrowind a 10. Personally, I still feel that although Oblivion was a great game, it was a step back for the series. The level-scaling enemies, bland dungeons and procedurally-generated loot were awful. But fortunately, the soundtrack was time-stoppingly awesome, the combat was improved and the land was a sight to see. I modded my game to the high-heavens and for me, that was what made my experience so much better as it added so many things that I felt, the game lacked. Praise the modders! I do feel that this game received too much negativity for the horse armor DLC and was bashed for it, but what most people don't take into account, is that Oblivion had the greatest expansion pack in the entire Elderscrolls series, which was Shivering isles. That expansion was a game like no other.

I hope Bethesda will not forget its lessons moving forward to Elder Scrolls VI.
  23. Nov 30, 2017
    8.5 out of 10
    Oblivion got the best guild and side quests in all of the Elder scrolls series and Dark Brotherhood questline is probably one of the best in all RPGs period. But stupid level scaling of enemies takes a lot of fun the gameplay. Visuals looked amazing when it came out, not so much now.
  24. Jan 16, 2013
    A good game if not for the bugs, crashes, mod setup difficulties, and many mediocre quests. Flaws aside, this is a big immersive game. Its the first fantasy/magic RPG I have played, and not a bad introduction to fantasy RPGs. I liked the music and little things like the ingame books and collecting alchemy ingredients. Get it to play Nehrim, a german super-mod, better than Oblivion, and oneA good game if not for the bugs, crashes, mod setup difficulties, and many mediocre quests. Flaws aside, this is a big immersive game. Its the first fantasy/magic RPG I have played, and not a bad introduction to fantasy RPGs. I liked the music and little things like the ingame books and collecting alchemy ingredients. Get it to play Nehrim, a german super-mod, better than Oblivion, and one of the best mods ever made.
    5/10 for Oblivion
    8/10 for Nehrim
  25. Feb 6, 2015
    The prime example why the next-gen was the biggest mistake in human entertainment history by lowering video games to lower and lower masses.
    Technically it was and especially still is a catastrophe (good luck running it on 64 bit), it really looked bad when it came out in 2006. It was mostly the lie, promising features that were not implemented (the bump mapping was only in the starting cell, now run the hype machine!).
    Level scalling basically ruined this game gameplay wise.
    The writing and world design was non existant. It's was just some **** put randomely in the world without any thought of reason. It was designed as a marketing product to promote Xbox and sell to masses expecting an easy, dumbed down ride in a disney land they can "enjoy".
  26. Sep 28, 2010
    Unique.It opened a new rpg era.Precursor of Fallout 3 and The Precursors.Huge.Masive game play options.Free world.You can do whatever you like.Huge array of items.Many NPC's.To short main story.But Brilliant.There's much..much more to say but i have to write down about 70 pages to finish it.Wonderfull.10+
  27. Mar 27, 2017
    This game has so many mistakes. I wouldnt play it without mods: The level up system is so stupid, if you want to play it somehow effectively: the attribute condition is important and to raise it, you need to use 3 skills: armourer, heavy armour and block...as a mage? In addition you need to take care, which skills you use to control the bonuses you get at level up. It is killing a lot ofThis game has so many mistakes. I wouldnt play it without mods: The level up system is so stupid, if you want to play it somehow effectively: the attribute condition is important and to raise it, you need to use 3 skills: armourer, heavy armour and block...as a mage? In addition you need to take care, which skills you use to control the bonuses you get at level up. It is killing a lot of fun, but there is a mod that changes the XP system. There is another point with the key word leveling...everyone knows and only few understand that stupid system, where every mob is leveling with the character, so it means you re fighting with lvl 5 against a skeleton and it is a hard fight, later on you are lvl 40 and you will have another hard fight against a skeleton -> LOL. Maybe Bethesda is simply to lazy to implement a better system.
    Technically this game is a nightmare: still so many bugs, although it is so old. It is so obvious, that Bethesda / Zenimax simply dont care about it and know, that users will work for them. In addition this game works so bad with new computers, it is like they convert it from console to PC and dont care about the possibilities with PCs. !"%$%$"§&/()&$§" I needed so much time and needed to install the mods for this game so often, it was frustrating. And yes, dont play this game without mods.
    Controling and Interface...download mods ! so frustrating without.
    Sound: Yes, there are few voice actors, yes they are even changing with the same NPC (wtf?) and what I dislike, they have such a strong american accent. I cant hear it anymore. Music is "totally great".

What is good? Yes The elder scrolls again, this means: a free free free world :) A lot of discoveries, hidden content, very good immersion. Like in Morrowind and Fallout 3, Bethesda is simply the master in it.
    NPCs have finally a life, in Morrowind they ve been a bit static. In the woods you see NPCs hunting animals, mobs fighting and so on. Bethesda learned from a little weakness in Morrowind and put life in the world.
    I like the story and the quests, the beginning is very nice. But on the other side the quests could have more possibilities and ways to solve, especially the dialogs are so linear. Look at Neverwinter Nights or Baldurs Gate.

Overall: 10 points? 9 points? never, this game humiliates us players. 8 is a maximum. If you survive the pain of modding the game, it gets 10/10.
  28. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is simply amazing in many aspects. Amazing scenery, great graphics, excellent gameplay, one of the best stories in games, the list goes on and on. This is a very different experience than it is on console. I actually recommend this version over the console version because of two things: mods and better graphics. The only thing holding this back from being a perfect title is theThis game is simply amazing in many aspects. Amazing scenery, great graphics, excellent gameplay, one of the best stories in games, the list goes on and on. This is a very different experience than it is on console. I actually recommend this version over the console version because of two things: mods and better graphics. The only thing holding this back from being a perfect title is the insanely annoying UI in the inventory screen. Expand
  29. Jul 25, 2012
    Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively.Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively. The quests themselves still have an interesting variety to them, from simple fetch-this quests to more complex place-to-place quests which I think Bethesda should starts focusing on more rather than pad out games with grind missions. The graphics are adequate, but the environments lack any real distinction from one another and characters have a strange uncanny valley look to them during conversation. Voice acting is also uneven, but Bethesda should no longer lose points for that. The combat would indeed be accurate of real-life swordplay if the combatants both fought by slapping each other with pieces of cardboard. Anyway, enough negatively, let's talk positive. As I said, the quests have a nice variety to them and the main story is alright, if uneven. The environments are nicely designed and the scoring is typically excellent. Of course, above all else remains that sense of true, organic open-ended game-play that Bethesda is renowned for. As a whole though, Oblivion is still an excellent game that is let down by a lack of identity among other Beth games. By the way Bethesda, you don't need to pad out the game with radiant quests, you should focus more on making more of though long-winding quests like they had in Morrowind. Skyrim was a step in the right direction, but man up Bethesda! You have nothing to lose if you make another game as unique as Morrowind! Expand
  30. Jun 3, 2011
    Lets see; Graphics, they was good back in the days, but now you need mods to make it look decent. NPC faces are creepy and ugly, and thats a big deal since you get zoom in at them every time you talk with them. Luckily it has a great character creation, lets you customize your character any way you want. Story, the main plot is horrible, i would use the console to close the oblivion gates,Lets see; Graphics, they was good back in the days, but now you need mods to make it look decent. NPC faces are creepy and ugly, and thats a big deal since you get zoom in at them every time you talk with them. Luckily it has a great character creation, lets you customize your character any way you want. Story, the main plot is horrible, i would use the console to close the oblivion gates, since it was extremely boring to do it the normal way, over and over again (they were all identical). But it had alot of great side quests, especially the Assassins guild. Class and combat system are almost identical as in Morrowind, which means they are good, but got "simplified" a litte (or dumbed down if you prefer). I really hate how every house, cave and even cities are instanced, doesnt make it feel like a free open world at all. Also no fun skills like levitation, and hearing the same voiceactors all the time is kinda awkward (theres only like few voice actors). I dont really see a point buying this game today, just wait for Skyrim. Expand

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.