8.0

1. Mar 9, 2011
    Oblivion is a great introduction into the Elder Scrolls. I loved it so much when I first played it. However, after you play Morrowind you realize how much potential Oblivion threw away. Oblivion is an example of the terrible direction the game industry is starting to go into: Games that are worth buying, and are extremely great in the beginning, but lack the long term value that is veryOblivion is a great introduction into the Elder Scrolls. I loved it so much when I first played it. However, after you play Morrowind you realize how much potential Oblivion threw away. Oblivion is an example of the terrible direction the game industry is starting to go into: Games that are worth buying, and are extremely great in the beginning, but lack the long term value that is very key to have to prevent boredom in the future again. When you finish up all the quests (Which are a lot, but still has significantly less compared to Morrowind) there is no point to play anymore. The dungeons feel prefabricated just like Daggerfall and there is nothing really "new" to explore. The vast majority of them are just filled with common monsters and loot that becomes worthless after you get the best armor and weapons (Which can be gotten fairly easily at higher levels). Oblivion is worth the money, but in the long run is no where near as RPG satisfying Morrowind was. That is what we play RPGs for, the satisfaction of completing quests or completing leveling goals or finding special items. Oblivion denies that ability of satisfaction way too early compared to its predecessors. If you are reading these reviews though you are probably considering buying it. In a simple answer, of course. Well worth the money it costs now. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2010
    This game is not the best game of all time. In fact, it probably isn't in the top 20. For some reason, even though the game is filled with bugs and terrible design, people just overlook all its problems because the side quests are fun. I would like to list some of the major problems with the game that make it a 6 instead of a 9 or 10.

1. The main story. This should have been the best part

1. The main story. This should have been the best part of the game, and it should have been long and involving. It wasn't. All the story missions felt exactly the same as any side quest, but sometimes involving an Oblivion gate. It was boring and very disappointing, especially for an RPG.

2. The entire engine. Moving feels like your gliding above the ground, and when you're in the air it feels like you're above the surface of the moon moving yourself with a fan. Picking something up off a table causes all the other objects on it to jump, And when and the ragdoll physics make creatures and people look like broken piñatas.

3. The animations. When you hit something a 20 pound metal rod, you expect it to feel powerful. The animations make you feel like you're swinging a piece of hollow plastic. Facial expressions unfortunately fall right into the bottom of the uncanny valley, and one of the worst problems, Bethesda was too lazy to put in animations for running diagonally. People also just disappear when entering buildings.

4. The voice acting. The worst problem here is that there are, according to the Credits.txt file that came with the game, 9 voice actors, not including the unique characters. For a game where every single character can be interacted with, only having 9 voice actors is a massive issue. Not to mention that some characters, especially beggars, switch accents mid-dialogue. They greet you the same drawl as all the other beggars, then after you choose an option, they start talking with the same voice as the guards, and then back again during their next line. Another problem is that every single infinitely-spawning guard has the same voice actor. If they just had one other voice, it would have made a huge difference, but there's only one. Most of the dialogue is terribly generic, too.

There are very many other problems, such as the uninspired music, the ludicrous frequency of load screens, and the copy-pasted caves and dungeons, but I'll stop here.

Imagine if any other game had all these problems. It definitely wouldn't get reviews like this. If Mass Effect 3 came out with only 9 voice actors, a short and boring main story, no diagonal running animations, loading screens at every door, floaty controls, and planets like Mass Effect 1, I'm sure users would give it something like a 6. But because Oblivion as so much hype behind it, people automatically give it 10s. Now I still like the game. I've spent about 150 hours on it, but it really isn't as good as people think, and it is definitely not even close to perfect.
  3. DanielCr
    Apr 12, 2006
    This game is cool.. at firest what then you play it for 40 hours and realize that there is way less content than is advertized. Point one IT IS EASER TO BEAT THE GAME A LVL 1 THAN AT LVL 20 this is fucking retarded and i am not exagerating also there a very few new or strong monsters cause everything just lvls with you you can go back to a dungeons a few lvls later whoopie all the guys This game is cool.. at firest what then you play it for 40 hours and realize that there is way less content than is advertized. Point one IT IS EASER TO BEAT THE GAME A LVL 1 THAN AT LVL 20 this is fucking retarded and i am not exagerating also there a very few new or strong monsters cause everything just lvls with you you can go back to a dungeons a few lvls later whoopie all the guys you killed have come back to life and they have batter equipment. so it's an RPG with absolutly no meaning ful charater devolopment. That's bullshit Actually upon reflection thats really the only thing horrible wrong with the game. Course it means that the are no place you can't go at lvl one wich makes not sense you will never fight an enemy you cannot beat and you will never encounter an enemy who is easy to beat Expand
  4. May 15, 2011
    This game stole what little life I already had. It's incredibly fun. Randomly exploring caves and ruins never gets boring, though I do admit, I had to start using console commands to close down Oblivion Gates because I just couldn't take doing the same map I had already done a million times before. Another small complaint I have and that I've heard a lot of is that Oblivion doesn't captureThis game stole what little life I already had. It's incredibly fun. Randomly exploring caves and ruins never gets boring, though I do admit, I had to start using console commands to close down Oblivion Gates because I just couldn't take doing the same map I had already done a million times before. Another small complaint I have and that I've heard a lot of is that Oblivion doesn't capture Morrowind's atmosphere. I haven't played Morrowind much yet, but after playing hours upon hours of Oblivion and stepping of the boat in the very beginning to see a massive insect that, come to find out, was used for transportation made the game feel very alien. Oblivion's atmosphere is indeed more of a generic sort of feel, but there are definitely improvements over a few problems I noticed with Morrowind despite how little I played of it. First of all, combat feels much more smooth, and when you hit an enemy, you actually hit them, rather than using stats to determine your hit chance. In addition, the combat just feels smoother, with the ability to block at will rather than using the block skill to determine the chance of blocking. My biggest Morrowind annoyance is how slowly you moved at the beginning of the game. Being a rather impatient person, that gets kind of old. Oblivion definitely fixed this problem. A change from Morrowind that I think is for the worse is the horrible leveling system. Enemies level up with you, and subsequently, so does their loot. It tends to ruin the realism quite a bit (how do so many bandits find full sets of Daedric armor?) and generally makes the game get harder as you level up, unless you micromanage your skill growth to obtain the maximum boost from each level, which is incredibly annoying and just plain tiresome. On the good side of the game, the world is massive. There are hundreds of locations to discover, many of which have a quest assigned to them. There are also quite a lot of joinable factions. Not as many as Morrowind, I've heard, but still a good amount, ranging from the magic oriented Mages Guild, to the combat oriented Fighters Guild, and the stealth oriented Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Each offers a very different experience and all are worth joining, even if you don't really focus on that particular stat (heck, I was a thief and I still became one of the top ranking members of the Mage's Guild). Spell casting tends to be a bit on the weak side when it comes to buffs, many lasting as little as 10 seconds before needing to be recast and the spell making is more limited that many would like it to be. The spell animations tend to be a bit bland after a while, using the same effects for each spell for the most part (for example, a strong fire spell will look the exact same as a weak fire spell. At least prior to impact). I personally do not like the music in Oblivion, though the songs can easily be changed by replacing the files in your music folder. The main story quest is fairly interesting, though I find it hard to play more than once. Even if you don't enjoy the story, the lore still provides an interesting feel to the world you Overall, Oblivion is a huge game with a very nice combat system, a huge world for you to explore, many NPCs to populate it. Finally, though I'm not counting this towards the score of my review, it is definitely worth mentioning that there are a HUGE number of modifications available for Oblivion, improving upon many problems I've mentioned here (like the shoddy magic system and broken leveling) as well as a few I didn't. There are many to improve performance and stability of your game if your computer can't handle the graphics, while others add in various content (homes, weapons, armor, the things you might expect). As a last word. whether or not you use a few mods or a lot of mods or just avoid mods altogether, Oblivion is definitely a game you should pick up regardless of what console you want it for (though if you want mods, the PC is the best console to go with). Expand
  5. Dec 28, 2014
    Objectively, I score this game a solid 6 due to its many unavoidable annoyances. It would score at 7 if the annoyances were eliminated but it is nothing like its predecessor and not as good as its successor. Oblivion had a lot of hype during development. We were promised all star voice acting, real intelligent AI behavior, and a larger landmass... well, it turns out that they were all halfObjectively, I score this game a solid 6 due to its many unavoidable annoyances. It would score at 7 if the annoyances were eliminated but it is nothing like its predecessor and not as good as its successor. Oblivion had a lot of hype during development. We were promised all star voice acting, real intelligent AI behavior, and a larger landmass... well, it turns out that they were all half truths and half lies.

There was all star voice acting but it was very limited to a hand full of characters. Everyone else was annoying as hell with repetitive comments and inappropriate tones that drove me mad 10 hours into the game. How many times did we run into a young girl with the voice of a raspy women on her death bed? Or an old man with a high pitch youngster voice? Voices were reused and assigned to characters randomly resulting in very strange combination which actually distracted from the game and immersion.

Intelligent AI behavior? Jobs and economy? Yea right. This was a pure lie. AI behavior was all scripted and none of it was intelligent by any stretch of the word. AI did not have real jobs, they just followed a scripted schedule to open at x hour and close at y hour. At z hour they ate and w hour they slept. It was lame. It was not intelligent. It was no different than any other game made as far back as the NES. How unintelligent was the AI? Well, you could kill a guard next to another guard while sneaking, and the living guard will not care. He will make a comment about a dead person and even if you uncover yourself he will just stand there. You could even drag the dead guard in front of him and he will not care. Same with any other AI controlled character in the game (not just guards). At the same time, god help you if someone in a city sees you stealing because all hell will break loose and every guard in the entire city will instantly know you are a criminal and they will all come after you at once. Lame lame lame lame. This became a major problem sometimes because unless you use the PC console commands, it could break your game permanently. AI my backside.

Larger landmass they tell us... well, the landmass was "larger" but it was mostly just the same damn environment copy and pasted over and over. The entire place looked the same. Morrowind had character and even Skyrim has some character but Oblivion was just plain and boring. It was the same no matter where you went and even ruins were just copy/pasted over and over (albeit Morrowind suffered from the same issue when it came to ruins). Bottom line, they may not have lied, but it was not as impressive as they wanted us to believe.

Aside from the annoyances above, there were a few more problems.

Level scaling... although this happens in a lot of games, in Oblivion is was not done well at all. The same enemy you faced at level will have 10x as many hit points when you are level 10 and they will look exactly the same and spawn in the same places. It killed immersion greatly because combat became mundane and unnecessarily long due to how many hip points each goblin, demon, or animal had as you leveled. The problem is that damage did not increase at the same pace as hit points so it made the player feel weaker. In Oblivion, you are much more powerful at level 5 than you are at level 20 and it killed any feeling of progression normally associated with RPG's. It clearly was not tested enough. They use similar systems in Morrowind and Skyrim but it was much better balanced. On top of that, unique weapons gained from god quests also level scaled... yes you read that right. If you do a quest at low level, you get a weak version of the rewarded weapon! And the weapon does not gain power as you level so it becomes obsolete almost instantly since they are all worse than enchanted weapons anyway. How lame is that.

Next, enchanting, spell making and itemization were all "streamlined" which we all know means dumbed down for consoles and low IQ players. Everything was strictly controlled gone was a lot of the fun we had in Morrowind like levitating around the world to explore. You can still enchant powerful stuff but it was also made much easier almost to the point that it felt unearned whereas in Morriwind it felt awesome when you were able to trap a soul and enchant even the most basic of things. In Oblivion it was very easy and felt like cheating from the get go.

Bottom line, a good game but it is no Morrowind. Too many annoyances keep it from being great but still it is better than most games you find on the shelf. It still is a fun open world game with plenty to do albeit without the sense of satisfaction associated with many RPG's.
  6. May 12, 2011
    Pretty good. Not so great at first but when modded with own taste. Then the game is awesome. The world is so big.. dungeons get a bit repetitive. And better put some own music choices in folders. Buth with games original merits.. It's good, clearly above average, though leveling system is too fast and kinda sucks. But when you ride with a horse trough the fields at early morning none ofPretty good. Not so great at first but when modded with own taste. Then the game is awesome. The world is so big.. dungeons get a bit repetitive. And better put some own music choices in folders. Buth with games original merits.. It's good, clearly above average, though leveling system is too fast and kinda sucks. But when you ride with a horse trough the fields at early morning none of that really matters. It's heavenly. And then bear attacks your horse, you must dismount the horse and you throw a fireball at it and slash it with sword ten times and run and go back continue your attack finally defeating it. Then you start to think where is my horse and why do I use it. I can run faster but if I do, my furry armors will perish in the wind, cos that's how fast everything wears out. Then you search inventory for repair hammers and you'll find two of them. they both break when you are just repairing your shoes. then a deer comes to your attention, drawing your trusty long bow you aim carefully and release the arrow.. and watch it fly like a old wooden bucket. never hitting the deer. then the game crashes.
    Truly it's not perfect.
  7. RaghaB.
    Mar 29, 2010
    I love this argument in the PC community about how games are "dumbed down for consoles." Now i'm sure that this argument works for other games, i dont know im relatively new to PC gaming. What I do know is that it does not work for TES games. Remember Morrowind guys? Yeah it came out on the X-box also. On to Oblivion. Being a huge Morrowind fan i was disappointed with Oblivion. While I love this argument in the PC community about how games are "dumbed down for consoles." Now i'm sure that this argument works for other games, i dont know im relatively new to PC gaming. What I do know is that it does not work for TES games. Remember Morrowind guys? Yeah it came out on the X-box also. On to Oblivion. Being a huge Morrowind fan i was disappointed with Oblivion. While the graphics are better (even on my lower end PC) The addition of the Quick Jump makes the world seem MUCH smaller than that of Morrowind. And the main story line is very repetitive. After what felt like the twentieth Oblivion Gate I said forget it and moved on...until i caught Vampirism and gave up all together. I can still pick up morrowind and play for hours but Oblivion was barely aboe to hold my attension for more than a few hours. The combat system upgrades (spell button FTW!!) and the shinnier graphics do not make up for the fact that Oblivion is not as good as its predecessor. If only Bethesda wold release a patch moving Morrowind into Oblivion's graphics and controls. That would be the perfect game. But hey dreamers can only Dream. Overall its a good game, There are just a few things missing from it that should have been kept in the game. Hopefully Bethesda learns from their mistakes and delvers an epic TES:V. Expand
  8. JohnB
    Oct 12, 2009
    The game has a lot of content and enviroments are beautiful. Unfortunately there are some serious flaws. All the npc- characters in the game are ass ugly, generic and they act like robots. There are only adults in the game, and no one has a beard. I'm glad that they didn't include dwarves in this game since they too would propably be as tall as anyone and without beard. The The game has a lot of content and enviroments are beautiful. Unfortunately there are some serious flaws. All the npc- characters in the game are ass ugly, generic and they act like robots. There are only adults in the game, and no one has a beard. I'm glad that they didn't include dwarves in this game since they too would propably be as tall as anyone and without beard. The voice acting is mostly horrendous, and there are 2 or 3 music tracks in the whole game. Expand
  9. Apr 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It might be a little late to be writing a review of this game, but I have been playing it on-and-off since practically its release day. To this day, I'm still not sure what all the hype was about.

Let's just say Oblivion was a good game. Good, not great. If you actually play RPGs for the scope and story, probably the biggest drawback of the game is the story. I wouldn't go so far as to call it contrived, but it's not all that great anyways. Actually it's pretty dull, since what you become known for by the citizens of the empire is something you accomplish within the first couple of hours of the game, had no emotional impact or power behind it, and just established the next flaw with Oblivion.

Oblivion gates. The first time I stepped through one, I thought to myself, "Oh wow, this is actually pretty cool." Then I went through another one. Then another one. Then several more. They all look the same. They all have the same mechanic. If there was one part of Oblivion that was uninspired, this was it. They all consist of getting to the top of the central tower, and pulling out a "Sigil Stone" to close the gate. Alright, now let's cycle that them through 9 maps that all look exactly the same, and you'll begin to dread going through any of these gates ever again.

I had a few other issues with the game, such as horseback riding being pretty lame, some so-so dungeons (nothing especially hidden away or secret like there was in Morrowind) and the facial animation and voice acting being the crap they were. But the leveling with your character loot and enemies was insulting. In a game that's supposed to be about go anywhere, do anything, this is an atrocity. Limiting the types of enemies you fight and level of loot you can receive at any given level automatically turns this into an extremely structured game. Sure it prevents getting anything gamebreaking at an early level, but the whole point in adventuring is learning what your strengths and limits are. If, at level 1, you can find a way to beat a level 20 monster, I think you deserve some pretty epic loot for doing so. But this leveling also meant that dungeon crawling was pretty stupid, since there was no incentive to explore other than to "see the dungeon," and they all looked essentially the same within about 3 themes (Aleid ruins, old forts, and caverns/mines).

Now this is not to say Oblivion was a crappy game. Far from it. If you want some excellent story telling and a much better RP experience, check out the... 4 factions. That's right only 4. Thankfully, each questline for the factions was much more enjoyable than the main questline, and each was quite long as well, which makes up for the fact that there are only 4. (I believe that in Morrowind there were upwards of 15, and many of them affected other factions.) And no, I am not counting the Arena. That was not a faction. You just kill people. You can finish it at level 1.

The region of Cyrodiil was quite beautiful, but only some areas shined. According to lore, Cyrodiil is supposed to be a jungle/swamp type of area. In this fashion, I quite enjoyed the areas around Bravil and Leyawiin in the game (and the snowy mountains of Bruma to the north), and Anvil was very pretty, but the rest was more ho-hum classic fantasy affair, and the cities all looked very fabricated and themed. Overall it was not nearly as immersive as Morrwind's quite alien locale, setting, and culture.

So overall, Oblivion was an average game. It definitely felt geared towards console players and much more casual gamers, as was obvious through the main storyline, generic hack'n'slash gameplay, and toned-down classic fantasy setting. But it had some obvious merits for those willing to delve deeper, with some pretty amazing faction questlines, along with some other specific side quests.

I hope 2011's Skyrim shapes up to be more like Morrowind. But if Bethesda stays down the path of Fallout 3, I won't be too irked, since that game was incredibly fun as well. Give us TES fans something good this time, Bethesda!
  10. Jan 13, 2012
    The story for the main quest was pathetic at best, Though the side missions had a lot better stories but none were truely great. A ton of bugs and glitches as well as lag, It doesnt help that the game has only 4 patches that dont even fix a majority of the problems the game suffers from.

What saves the game is that it can be modded to add a ton of user created, Which is suprisingly better then most of the content in the game.
  11. Oct 8, 2011
    Still do not understand why this game is so well received. It may be good for newcomers of this series, but it is neither as massive as daggerfall nor as fun as morrowind. The setting in this game is painfully average. The leveling system is broken unless you use mods to fix it. Quests are quite repetitive and there is not much story associated with those quests, so you end up with doingStill do not understand why this game is so well received. It may be good for newcomers of this series, but it is neither as massive as daggerfall nor as fun as morrowind. The setting in this game is painfully average. The leveling system is broken unless you use mods to fix it. Quests are quite repetitive and there is not much story associated with those quests, so you end up with doing the same things over and over again. The setting for the factions in this game is just terrible comparing to morrowind. In morriwind, you can establish social relations with different factions, and you can be smooth and slick with them to achieve a lot of benefits which is tons of fun. The factions in oblivion are just like a bunch of quest generating machines to extend the game time. Overall it's a good entry to elder scroll series but probably the worst elder scroll game. Expand
  12. kungfucat196
    Mar 21, 2010
    My real vote would be 8.4 Ok lets get it started, the gra[hics were good for 2006, its alright. What makes the force of the game is the realism, EVERY but EVERY actions in the game will have an effect on the other AI surrounding you and there is a multitudes of ways to do the scenario, the world is deep and well made, a lot of efforts were put in, but it stops there. The AI is not good at My real vote would be 8.4 Ok lets get it started, the gra[hics were good for 2006, its alright. What makes the force of the game is the realism, EVERY but EVERY actions in the game will have an effect on the other AI surrounding you and there is a multitudes of ways to do the scenario, the world is deep and well made, a lot of efforts were put in, but it stops there. The AI is not good at all, a supplementary 3 month wouldn't have been too much for the game to fix the AI problems and the Glitches. Also, RTS games are my favorite, and i like wen im immerge in the story, like i was in Dragon age: origins or Kotor. The broken AI and universe dosen't help. You can do whatever you want, there is exacly NO LIMITS, a lot pf players are just playing this game for its mods, but i do not know some1 excepted me who alredy beated this game. too much limit is not good, but not enough too. All those facts dosen't immerse you in the story, well, it didn't for me. I had to force myself to finish this game. I didn't like this game, i gave a 7.5 for all the efforts they putted in and to respect those who liked that, but its not a game for amators of games like Kotor, mass effect and dragon age. Expand
  13. Mar 13, 2012
    I honestly couldn't get into this game after I had played Skyrim. Its dialogue is weird and irritating, the inventory is annoying, the map is also very annoying. The graphics are poor, and I have to say that Doom 3 (a game from 2004) had far better visuals. The combat is fun, but very clunky as it is in the Elder Scrolls games. An okay game, and I admit I would have enjoyed it much more ifI honestly couldn't get into this game after I had played Skyrim. Its dialogue is weird and irritating, the inventory is annoying, the map is also very annoying. The graphics are poor, and I have to say that Doom 3 (a game from 2004) had far better visuals. The combat is fun, but very clunky as it is in the Elder Scrolls games. An okay game, and I admit I would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't played Skyrim first. Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2011
    Well, it's nothing compared to Morrowind. The world felt very small in comparison. The quests were very short, with the exception of the mains toryline, which couldn't have been more tedious. Oblivion feels rushed and they really could've brought a lot more things from Morrowind forwards. I was also disappointed to find the Imperial City was actually quite small, and was miniscule comparedWell, it's nothing compared to Morrowind. The world felt very small in comparison. The quests were very short, with the exception of the mains toryline, which couldn't have been more tedious. Oblivion feels rushed and they really could've brought a lot more things from Morrowind forwards. I was also disappointed to find the Imperial City was actually quite small, and was miniscule compared to some of the cities in Morrowind. Expand
  15. Nov 20, 2011
    Picked this up on a recent Steam sale. I had Morrowind on xbox when it came out but I never got into it. It seemed extremely boring and long to get into. Well, years later Oblivion is also extremely long to get into and boring at the beginning, but it sure is worth it. This game is detail on a scale that no other game even approaches much less achieves. From random books scatteredPicked this up on a recent Steam sale. I had Morrowind on xbox when it came out but I never got into it. It seemed extremely boring and long to get into. Well, years later Oblivion is also extremely long to get into and boring at the beginning, but it sure is worth it. This game is detail on a scale that no other game even approaches much less achieves. From random books scattered around the world (that are actually written and can all be read) to thousands of things, just things, strewn all over the place. Each one realized on a scale that makes it almost impossible not to get lost in this game. Imagine taking about a 50 mile square of land in the real world with all the trees, houses, roads, people, animals, water, weather, everything and sticking all of that into a game. That's Oblivion. Houses fully detailed inside and out, random junk that is actually relevant and non-repetitive like people really have. If you want to know what this place you're standing looks like from that mountain top over yonder, hike up the mountain and take a look. You can. In fact, you can basically do anything you want any way you want. It's the most freedom in a game, ever. Period. (notwithstanding other Elder Scrolls games of course) Want to be a spell casting rogue that pick pockets and hides in the shadows? OK. Wanna be a ranger that also swings a gigantic mace? OK. Wanna be a warrior but in leather armor and summoning undead? OK. Whatever you want, there's a way to do it. The game is huge, I'm talking HUGE. Think WoW without the subscription and they probably have about the same content (except this is one release with some xpac content and WoW is constantly updated for the last 7 years). There is a good enjoyable story packed in between all the other side quests and random places to explore also. It's the whole package. This game would easily warrant a perfect 10, except it's not perfect. Unfortunately Bethesda, in all their creative genius, weren't very good at squashing bugs. This game came out in 2006 and despite multiple official patches and DLC content for sale there are literally thousands of bugs in the game they never bothered to fix. The game is so popular that its very talented and committed fan base has created their own mods that patch the game for you correcting many of these bugs, but they shouldn't have to. Bethesda made the money off the game, not the fans, they should be the ones fixing it. So, 7/10 because buggy games deserve ZEROES, but this game really is awesome. Expand
  16. Aug 16, 2012
    The main storyline wasn't the best for me, but the side quests had me playing until I've finished them all. Great graphics (if you ignore the humanoid characters). Not as great as Morrowind or Skyrim, though for obvious reasons.
  17. Dec 25, 2012
    The worst of all Elder Scrolls games. Badly designed boring world compared to morrowind or skyrim and an absolute broken level scale system made this game almost uplayable to me. I spent weeks to get a propper mod to get rid of the level scaling, but the mods crippled the game even more. It's unbelievable how Bethesda could release such a mess. For all fans of Skyrim who search anotherThe worst of all Elder Scrolls games. Badly designed boring world compared to morrowind or skyrim and an absolute broken level scale system made this game almost uplayable to me. I spent weeks to get a propper mod to get rid of the level scaling, but the mods crippled the game even more. It's unbelievable how Bethesda could release such a mess. For all fans of Skyrim who search another great elder scrolls expirience: simpyl grab the Morrowind Game Of The Year edition. It's Astronomic Units ahead of this broken moneymaker release called oblivion. Still a better game than most modern titles though. Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    Man, I've had a funny relationship with this game over the years. Really really wanted to love it. In fact practically upgraded my PC once just to try to play it as my initial set up could barely get 12 fps with distance drawing off. Downloaded hundreds of mods - all in an attempt to make the most immersive, in-depth fantasy world I possibly could. Ultimately this game is just anMan, I've had a funny relationship with this game over the years. Really really wanted to love it. In fact practically upgraded my PC once just to try to play it as my initial set up could barely get 12 fps with distance drawing off. Downloaded hundreds of mods - all in an attempt to make the most immersive, in-depth fantasy world I possibly could. Ultimately this game is just an unfortunate let down. Even years later after upgrading my PC for a second time, when checking out the game once more, I found myself strangely not enjoying the experience. I mean, I love fantasy, love the idea of an open world. Love RPGs. So why is this game so disappointing? Well, even with pretty good PCs this game will stutter and struggle. The world is very repetitive. Dungeons, extremely so. Combats simplistic. NPCs mostly boring. Plot, okayish. Spells and animations just not good enough. If people like this game, it's almost certainly down to the mods. The community is what made this game in truth. Let's hope they learn from this one (and the modders) and turn out a more polished game for Elder Scrolls V. (And a bigger, more interesting world please). I found myself trying Morrowind because of this game and then strangely hovering in limbo between the two, unable to really get into either - there's Morrowind with it's far more detailed and engaging world, its better systems and story-line - but after Oblivion's combat it's pretty hard fighting in Morrowind. Then after Morrowind it's likewise pretty hard to get into Oblivion's shallow world. Even with the quite outstanding mods out there like OOO, MMM and so many others... nice try, here's hoping someone makes the game I'm waiting for soon .... Expand
  19. mez
    Dec 17, 2011
    This is a bland and soulless game. The world is huge, but there's little variation throughout and it all feels oddly empty (contrast with the fantastic weirdness and variety of Morrowind). The level scaling takes away any sense of danger. The badly animated characters are ugly beyond reason. The voice acting is truly, truly miserable (think Aribeth in Neverwinter Nights levels of bad). TheThis is a bland and soulless game. The world is huge, but there's little variation throughout and it all feels oddly empty (contrast with the fantastic weirdness and variety of Morrowind). The level scaling takes away any sense of danger. The badly animated characters are ugly beyond reason. The voice acting is truly, truly miserable (think Aribeth in Neverwinter Nights levels of bad). The developers clearly used their whole budget hiring Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart and then had to resort to getting random people in off the street. There's no emotional engagement at all because not one of characters has any personality - they're all just generic, interchangeable quest dispensers. The setting has potential though. I understand the modding community has done some great things, but for me the days of spending a whole weekend auditioning mods are long gone. I don't recommend the vanilla game. Expand
  20. DavidL
    Aug 17, 2009
    I give this game a 5 because it requires "Fan Made Content' to even make it enjoyable, even after having mods toppled over mods it still don't entertain me as much as my other games do. Morrowind was far better than this game. Morrowind kept you busy even if you where not playing the main plot. The problems with oblivion is every thing that they said was good about it. 1.I I give this game a 5 because it requires "Fan Made Content' to even make it enjoyable, even after having mods toppled over mods it still don't entertain me as much as my other games do. Morrowind was far better than this game. Morrowind kept you busy even if you where not playing the main plot. The problems with oblivion is every thing that they said was good about it. 1.I can't walk up "steep hills" when there really not all that steep. Why can't they have the character crawl up the hill at least with coded textures that make the character do stuff when they touch the texture or some thing that makes sense please. 2.You character can't climb up ledges and pull him/her self up. 3.The magic effects are boring. All i have seen was fire balls, thunder bolts and stuff alike etc. I have not seen any thing epic like a meteor shower or a fire storm or fire arrows or a huge shock wave that shakes the ground and makes cracks and stuff etc. 4.Combat is slow and boring. There is a mod that fixes this, but still with out good maneuverability combat will also fail. (Refer to 1) 5.The story line was great and i give them a 10 for it, but it lacked in game play so it was like watching a movie with a single ending. 6. Random encounters took for ever to re spawn or you won't even fight them because only 1-3 monsters spawn at a time. To get any action you had to look for quests and there hard as heck to find for such a big game. So even though you can go any where you still had to do quests to get any real action so technically the game was linear. 7. Why do you even level up? Why do you even have abilities? Why do you even have any thing for this game when you can beat it at level 1? 8. The character creation concept was awesome, but didn't work right because it takes mins to hours to make a good looking character. The facial hair was a complete rip off because it wasn't facial here it was just coloring. Games that are far older than this had beards and more maneuverability like prince of Persia or dungeon lords. 9.This game has some advantages like being huge (Why is there no MP support?) and the graphics. 10.This game is just a walk in the park. Nothing that caught my eye. I care about game play more than visuals all though i do admit that visuals are very very important for games. So even if a game has bad graphics it can still look nice if it has a lot of detail the objects plus the game play to back it up. Games should be great with many features from the start you shouldn't make your customers do all the work by having to mod the thing inside out. I do love modding i don' t mean to stop make modding tools, i mean make a game that is good enough so that we don't have to make overhauls. This is all my opinion of course. Excuse my typing i,am young and not perfect at English even though it is my own language. Expand
  21. AndrewC
    Feb 28, 2010
    A tragically flawed game, saved only by a lovingly obsessive modding community. The real tragedy of Oblivion is not it's instability, the stupid main quest, the non-existent AI, the horrendously flawed leveling system, the annoying voice acting, the merely adequate combat system or even the ugly interface. It's none of these. Its that if you take the effort to download about 10 A tragically flawed game, saved only by a lovingly obsessive modding community. The real tragedy of Oblivion is not it's instability, the stupid main quest, the non-existent AI, the horrendously flawed leveling system, the annoying voice acting, the merely adequate combat system or even the ugly interface. It's none of these. Its that if you take the effort to download about 10 Gigabytes of 3rd party mods, from bug fixes, to complete overhauls that totally change almost every system in the game, you can see what this game could have been if Bethesda had just taken the effort. Then you understand why so many, me included love this game. Expand
  22. Jun 11, 2012
    Oblivion is a great place to start in Elder Scrolls if you are newer to RPGs or if you want a more laid-back approach. I only gave it a seven because of how much potential it threw away. If you are a fan to the Elder Scrolls series, you know what I am talking about. The graphical changes also kind of annoyed me. I am not one of the people who thinks graphics is the most important in gamingOblivion is a great place to start in Elder Scrolls if you are newer to RPGs or if you want a more laid-back approach. I only gave it a seven because of how much potential it threw away. If you are a fan to the Elder Scrolls series, you know what I am talking about. The graphical changes also kind of annoyed me. I am not one of the people who thinks graphics is the most important in gaming (I still play Mario for the NES) but I think when you go through a drastic change from what they used to be, it kind of ruins a lot. It's like when you change an actor for the same character in a movie. The graphics became cartoony, which made it harder for me to immerse myself into the game. It's a pretty good game in the beginning, and the questline isn't too short. It is annoying to level, however, because of the Major Skill restriction. There aren't minor and miscellaneous skills that you can pull a little bit of level experience off of, like in Morrowind, and you can't pull level experience from every skill, like in Skyrim. The questing system isn't very rounded, either, and some of the questlines can really piss you off because of their restrictions. Like others before me, I would say that it had great bones but started going the wrong way. It lacks relative long term value unless you try every race and every class (but then you are just repeating everything). There are also a lot fewer side-quests to Oblivion than the other Elder Scrolls games.
    Another CON that I have is the fact that they ripped out a lot of good stuff, like Dwemer. Ayleid ruins are nowhere near the same as Dwemer ruins, and there aren't any artifacts based around them.
    Onto the PROS:
    The game is good to be immersed in or just to play as long as you can get by the cons.
    There is actually fast traveling.
    It isn't too easy or too hard to beat and creatures are all leveled with you to some extent (they will replace rats with wolves, and wolves with hogs and bears and trolls and such).
    There is quite a few things to go through and explore even though there aren't as many as the other games.

All in all, Oblivion is a more laid-back RPG system that is great to play if you haven't played the other Elder Scrolls installments (kinda the same with Skyrim players who are new to the Elder Scrolls universe, I hate them with the burning passion of a thousand lemmings!, although it would help if you played Morrowind before Skyrim and possibly even Oblivion).
    And if you haven't played the other games you won't get the suckerpunch to the kidneys showing that Oblivion is a hell of a difference.
  23. Oct 4, 2012
    In comparison to Morrowind, the only things that became better are those that HAD to for the next generation: graphics and gameplay. Combat is much more interesting. However, the story is dull, especially when compared to Morrowind, there are close to no hidden special quests and the like, and it doesn't feel as "free" as in Morrowind. The enemies become stronger along with you, soIn comparison to Morrowind, the only things that became better are those that HAD to for the next generation: graphics and gameplay. Combat is much more interesting. However, the story is dull, especially when compared to Morrowind, there are close to no hidden special quests and the like, and it doesn't feel as "free" as in Morrowind. The enemies become stronger along with you, so leveling up doesn't really serve a purpose. Quests are boring and repetitive. Lots of skills were abandoned, the whole game is more straightforward. Exploring caves, ruins etc. is no more fun because they are filled just with generic enemies and treasures - there is no hope you'll find anything special if you're not there for a quest. Still, it's an Elder Scrolls game and therefore worth playing, even with these downsides. Expand
  24. Jun 3, 2011
    Lets see; Graphics, they was good back in the days, but now you need mods to make it look decent. NPC faces are creepy and ugly, and thats a big deal since you get zoom in at them every time you talk with them. Luckily it has a great character creation, lets you customize your character any way you want. Story, the main plot is horrible, i would use the console to close the oblivion gates,Lets see; Graphics, they was good back in the days, but now you need mods to make it look decent. NPC faces are creepy and ugly, and thats a big deal since you get zoom in at them every time you talk with them. Luckily it has a great character creation, lets you customize your character any way you want. Story, the main plot is horrible, i would use the console to close the oblivion gates, since it was extremely boring to do it the normal way, over and over again (they were all identical). But it had alot of great side quests, especially the Assassins guild. Class and combat system are almost identical as in Morrowind, which means they are good, but got "simplified" a litte (or dumbed down if you prefer). I really hate how every house, cave and even cities are instanced, doesnt make it feel like a free open world at all. Also no fun skills like levitation, and hearing the same voiceactors all the time is kinda awkward (theres only like few voice actors). I dont really see a point buying this game today, just wait for Skyrim. Expand
  25. Mar 18, 2011
    The phrase that is often used to described Bethesda's games are "free world". It's apt. It's correct. And either you like that aspect or you don't. I don't. To me, it's not an RPG. Playing a role by definition means there is some type of script. While there is technically a major thread in the game it very easy to lose it and never find it again. You can wonder aimlessly for hours.The phrase that is often used to described Bethesda's games are "free world". It's apt. It's correct. And either you like that aspect or you don't. I don't. To me, it's not an RPG. Playing a role by definition means there is some type of script. While there is technically a major thread in the game it very easy to lose it and never find it again. You can wonder aimlessly for hours. Is it fun? Kinda. But it never offers any real sense of accomplishment for me. I never feel like I'm making progress, like I make a difference in the world. I hate to give this game a five because I respect the quality of the work that went into it. But it's just not for me. If you are Bethesda fan-boy you will love this game like you loved all the others. But it's more of the same old boring crap as far as I am concerned. Expand
  26. Mar 26, 2011
    Ths game isn't bad. Some aspects, like the graphics, are very good. However, gameplay wise, this game falls behind. It begins very well, but it becomes monotonous with time. After about 30 hours of gameplay i was running away from any person who wanted to give me a quest, and some time later, I just ignored most of them. Regardless of what they said you are to do it always came down to "goThs game isn't bad. Some aspects, like the graphics, are very good. However, gameplay wise, this game falls behind. It begins very well, but it becomes monotonous with time. After about 30 hours of gameplay i was running away from any person who wanted to give me a quest, and some time later, I just ignored most of them. Regardless of what they said you are to do it always came down to "go there, kill everybody, find an object, come back." The main quest line also is not enthralling, and, moreover, nor original in any way. After gluing me to the screen for a long time, the game simply became tedious. Expand
  27. patchman
    Mar 28, 2006
    i will agree with all the other reviews that this is a great looking game BUT there are some serious issues regarding stability on some PCs. 60% of will play this game with no issues but the other 40% of us are have some mojor crashing problems that just makes the game unplayable. check out the various forums for this game to find out how bad these bugs are, untill oblivion is patched upi will agree with all the other reviews that this is a great looking game BUT there are some serious issues regarding stability on some PCs. 60% of will play this game with no issues but the other 40% of us are have some mojor crashing problems that just makes the game unplayable. check out the various forums for this game to find out how bad these bugs are, untill oblivion is patched up correctly with a proper patch then i can only give this game a 5/10 and thats being generious for a game that i am unable to play. Expand
  28. Jeremy
    Mar 22, 2006
    The economy is still broken. A vendor selling items costing as much as 5000gp only has 1000gp cash on-hand? How does that make sense? I stopped playing Morrowind when I found loot that could not be sold anywhere in the universe. Idiotic.
  29. RicM.
    Apr 11, 2006
    This game is extremely big, but ultimately extremely empty and without reward. The main story will only take a few hours to beat, regardless of what other people say. Since there is level scaling, there is very little reward for leveling up and because of the scaling you can literally beat the game on level 1 if you so choose. There are a suprising low variety of places to visit (mostly This game is extremely big, but ultimately extremely empty and without reward. The main story will only take a few hours to beat, regardless of what other people say. Since there is level scaling, there is very little reward for leveling up and because of the scaling you can literally beat the game on level 1 if you so choose. There are a suprising low variety of places to visit (mostly just town, cave, ruin or planes to oblivion) and enemies to fight. I got very tired venturing into the gates of oblivion to fight only a handful of enemies each time, even if you level up a lot. The main story, as well as completing any of the guilds, leaves a great deal to be desired. In fact, you do not even get to fight the end boss yourself, you just watch this fight and that's it. Since the story is so weak, the ending is weak and feels like a waste of time. I really wanted to give this game a 10, I had a lot of fun and it was worth the $50 I suppose, but I feel that this is one of those rare games that could've been amazing, but it was only good. While better than Morrowind, it still doesn't have an engaging story. It just feels like you're playing an MMORPG that is only for one player really. Too bad you can't combine the size and beauty of this game with the focus and NPC interactivity of Fable. It's also VERY VERY VERY annoying how every guard everywhere has telepathy and if you stealthy kill one all the sudden there's a 1000 bounty on your head no matter where you go, and the guards will never ever stop pursuing you. This game should've been delayed a long while. Expand
  30. MarioB.
    May 5, 2006
    I loved Morrowind. And the only things that sucked in Morrowind are improved here, but... It just doesn't feel like an rpg, I enjoy places that I cannot enter becouse I'm weak, ie. I can enter it, but I don't stand a chance, and then, a few levels later, I kick ass... You can NOT experience that in Oblivion, the game adapts itself according to your level, so, there's I loved Morrowind. And the only things that sucked in Morrowind are improved here, but... It just doesn't feel like an rpg, I enjoy places that I cannot enter becouse I'm weak, ie. I can enter it, but I don't stand a chance, and then, a few levels later, I kick ass... You can NOT experience that in Oblivion, the game adapts itself according to your level, so, there's not any challenge, my friend finished the game (main quest) at level 5.... Disaster, this is NOT a rpg experience Expand
  31. Bia?yMi?piechur
    May 6, 2006
    Great game ! best RPG ! my rating is 5 beacuse the game crash to the windows screen, not always but often ;(( and i dont see any patch for it ;d
  32. GabrielU
    Aug 28, 2009
    This game is a LARGE step back. Everything nerfed, dumbed down, sick level scaling, plenty of choices, where we don't have any choice, destroyed lore (Cyrrodil is and tropical jungle and few things more, not a typical, european woods!). I felt deeply cheated after playing.
  33. TheChosenOne
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lets get one thing straight; Oblivion has clearly been dumbed down for the consoles, and IS easily inferior in every way but graphics to its predeccessors. The plot is simple, dull, repetetive and stinks of a certain well-known film Franchise down to the voice actors, most of the loot is randomised(so stupid its hard to believe), most NPC's have 5 dialog options at best, and the Lets get one thing straight; Oblivion has clearly been dumbed down for the consoles, and IS easily inferior in every way but graphics to its predeccessors. The plot is simple, dull, repetetive and stinks of a certain well-known film Franchise down to the voice actors, most of the loot is randomised(so stupid its hard to believe), most NPC's have 5 dialog options at best, and the combat has been reduced to the depth of a Turded Salt Ayre. The most annoying thing though by far, is the content thats been removed. An RPG without Spears? Come on Bethesda, theres no excuse, its pathetic. Another brilliant series down the drain because of console gamers inert brains. Great. Expand
  34. MattiM.
    May 18, 2007
    CS:S Rocks.
  35. Aug 17, 2010
    Oblivion has to be played a certain way by people that can imagine themselves in the world that is the game. This can make the game very enjoyable in comparison to just making a god character that's the leader of every guild. Try to specialize and you'll have more fun. Sadly, they seem to have skipped the beta testing stage before releasing this game. On multiple occasions I've had entireOblivion has to be played a certain way by people that can imagine themselves in the world that is the game. This can make the game very enjoyable in comparison to just making a god character that's the leader of every guild. Try to specialize and you'll have more fun. Sadly, they seem to have skipped the beta testing stage before releasing this game. On multiple occasions I've had entire guild quest-lines become impossible to complete due to bugs. If this game had a coop it would be a ten without a doubt. There also seems to be little to no reward for playing on higher difficulties. Expand
  36. Jan 7, 2011
    Oblivion is not as cut out as it seems to be, none the less, it has highly sophisticated game-play, but that's it.Nearly every aspect in the game seems rushed.1.There are less then 10 voices in the game and beggars change accents mid-dialogue.Usual drawly voice at the start then after clicking on an option, the accent changes to a guard voice.2.Main story too short.Granted, the quest hadOblivion is not as cut out as it seems to be, none the less, it has highly sophisticated game-play, but that's it.Nearly every aspect in the game seems rushed.1.There are less then 10 voices in the game and beggars change accents mid-dialogue.Usual drawly voice at the start then after clicking on an option, the accent changes to a guard voice.2.Main story too short.Granted, the quest had an urgency attached to it that encouraged people to continue with it but the main quest itself is only about 5 hours long on normal difficulty.3. Too many loading screens. Every time you go into a building,a loading screen appears and even to have a mini one like in Dragon Age Origins would be better.And, the loading is about less then 5 seconds so it just gets annoying after a while.4.Dupes.I closed about 20 Oblivion gates in my game and there are only about 4 different wastes or planes of Oblivion.I'm not sure as I don't like dungeons, but I heard that dungeons are the same, dupes.5. Rag-doll physics. When you throw someone off a cliff you expect them to speed down it, not glide down as it seem. It seems,when you die or a NPC or anything dies, the carcass of that thing loses most of the gravitational pull on it. It literally glides down at less then a quarter of the speed it should be going at.Also, when you kill something, the carcass seems to lose all bones in it's body, it literally turns into a rag-doll which is not good. It looks sloppy and un-realistic.6. Leveling system. I have NEVER heard of a leveling system like this before. Advancing levels by advancing skills?That seems theoretical sound,but some quick math, and you see, if you can only gain experience from your main skills until they reach 100, and for every main skill it starts at 25 and you level up every time you gain 10 skill points, you can only level up 52.5 times without cheats and ,which is most stupid of Bethesda, they put the level cap at 225!Why?No-one knows.7. Interface. When you are walking,you feel like you a gliding effortlessly a few centimeters off the ground and when you jump, you feel like a feather caught in the wind. Only when you change to third-person camera, does it feel normal but even the third person camera is not excellent.8. The world. The world is green or white usually, and that's ok, but that's all it is, ok. On a rating of 1 to 10, I would give the world a 4, as it is monotonous except for the snow in the upper regions.9.The people. There is too little settlements that you can actually run into and are useful. They are pretty shallow people in personality as I already mentioned, limited voices. I mean, I once ran into an old lady with the voice of a mature female dark-elf that lives in Chorrol. In conclusion, I would say Oblivion is rushed and un-interesting. The world is a bleak, life-less area with a dull touch to the cities.But there is potential for the game,as I'm hoping Bethesda won't make such a **** game as Oblivion again.And P.S, I would re-think getting The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim as the games are too close together to be any good but I might be wrong and Bethesda might surprise even me with Skyrim. Expand
  37. Nov 11, 2012
    When Oblivion first came out, I, and pretty much every other gamer out there, was blown away by the improvements in TES graphics and physics. I must have spent hours watching the guy shoot that bucket with an arrow. Oblivion was THE game to test your PCs capability on. Apart from that, though, the only thing it really improved on over Morrowind was the combat - you could now activelyWhen Oblivion first came out, I, and pretty much every other gamer out there, was blown away by the improvements in TES graphics and physics. I must have spent hours watching the guy shoot that bucket with an arrow. Oblivion was THE game to test your PCs capability on. Apart from that, though, the only thing it really improved on over Morrowind was the combat - you could now actively swing and block instead of having to wait for the stars to align. Questing more or less remained the same, but the setting and certain aspects of the leveling process were huge steps backward. For one, the unique, jungle environment that Cyrodiil originally had was traded in for Generic European Fantasy World #64. Levelled loot and enemies were also a huge problem. The higher level you got, the tougher (read: bullet sponge-y) your enemies got - a case could be made that the game is easier to complete the lower level you are. Radiant AI was also not what it was cracked up to be. Still, Oblivion is a decent RPG and worth a look if you enjoy TES series or RPGs in general. Expand
  38. Sep 7, 2013
    Almost every single mechanic in this game was done better partly in Morrowind and then later partly in Skyrim making it seem very dated and irrelevant. They took a step back from Morrowind.
  39. Feb 24, 2014
    The game felt epic in the beginning, truly great. Story telling, questing, graphics and atmosphere were the strongest parts of it. Though later I found major flaws in this game too. I did not like the combat system at all. I hated the fact, that the creatures level with me as I do level up. That was quite an immersion breaker for me. Also the way faces of the people and the character wereThe game felt epic in the beginning, truly great. Story telling, questing, graphics and atmosphere were the strongest parts of it. Though later I found major flaws in this game too. I did not like the combat system at all. I hated the fact, that the creatures level with me as I do level up. That was quite an immersion breaker for me. Also the way faces of the people and the character were made was very unconvincing. Some of the UI elements were rather mind-boggling for me. The game was fine overall, but it didn't really delivered what I expected it to deliver. Expand
  40. Mar 11, 2014
    Without extensive modding Oblivion gets to be very samey. Enemies all level with you so there's no difficulty curve and no feeling of progression. Environments are formulaic and get to feel routine and predictable, so even though the world is big, there's very little in it worth seeing. There's only one voice actor per race and far, far too much chit-chat. Most of your time is spent inWithout extensive modding Oblivion gets to be very samey. Enemies all level with you so there's no difficulty curve and no feeling of progression. Environments are formulaic and get to feel routine and predictable, so even though the world is big, there's very little in it worth seeing. There's only one voice actor per race and far, far too much chit-chat. Most of your time is spent in combat but as there are only four classes of melee weapon, this gets old fast if you're a warrior type. There is also the most idiotic trading system I've ever encountered: the richest merchant has 1200 gold so this is all you can ever get for any item but he never runs out; why then are there items worth many thousands of gold when they (at least should) know you can't get that much!? There are mods to fix most of these issues - the entire outdoor world can be changed, the whole leveling system removed so enemies are varied and challenging, the combat made unpredictable and deadly and the horrible trading system thrown out the window. It's still worth buying Oblivion just so you can play Nehrim, though. Expand
  41. Apr 16, 2014
    This game stole my life. It's very good and I've lost 150 hours to it. I was totally absorbed. But when I came up to air I realised that immersion is not enough for a game to be in my list of amazing games.
    But there are many bugs (dancing dragon corpses) and a total lack of consequence for your choices.
    If I'm a dark elf, I should be spat at when I'm in Winterhold. If i murder a
    If I'm a dark elf, I should be spat at when I'm in Winterhold. If i murder a villager, I should never be able to return to that village. Plus the dragons are so easy to kill once you figure out a half decent build.
    I found as soon as I got to lvl 30, there was no point in playing anymore. The hardest difficulty was tedium, the next hardest became a walkthrough.
    One thing that really annoyed me was the illusion spell tree. the lvl of an NPC i could spook in some way was listed, but you can't tell what lvl the npcs are. After looking up some online, they don't match the power of the spell. Not a game breaker, but sloppy.
    So I give it a 7 because I loved it at first, but will never want to play it again. So for that reason it doesn't get a higher score.
  42. Sep 4, 2014
    Oblivion was ambitious.. and in my opinion, overly so.
    I found the storyline mundane and the game-play very repetitive, the animations clunky, the worst leveling up system in the history of gaming, annoying AI, and worst of all it didn't engage me.
    Oblivion was ambitious.. and in my opinion, overly so.
    One of the strangest factors for me about all of the Elder Scrolls games is that you, as the protagonist, are a mute, and the manner of interaction between you and NPC's to be somewhat bizarre. Click on one word phrases and NPC's rattle off about that topic if you are lucky. Another criticism is that without actively taking time to examine your character, all the time and effort one puts into their character's appearance is wasted as all you see are hands and your weapon of choice.
    Many praise the size, scale and scope of the world, which in 2006 was bigger than most seen before, the open spaces and walking from one town to the next was only time-consuming, and vast wilderness' filled with occasional critters was not the rich experience that the game promised.
    Criticism aside though, I still enjoyed this game, and the Shivering Isles expansion was a vast improvement with regards to storyline.
    Ultimately, this game failed to keep me engaged
  43. AnonymousMC
    Aug 23, 2006
    Considering how hyped this game has been, it would have to be the best game ever made (and 20 times as good as the second best) not to be incredibly overrated.

It's a good game in a lot of ways. There is a ton of opportunity to play the game in different ways. The range of characters you can develop feels almost limitless and the span of the world is huge. I have three main

I have three main beefs: instability, quest fragility, and NPC lameness. Instability doesn't affect everyone, but it affects people across a wide range of computing power. On the PC it crashes at minimal settings even with reccommended hardware. It crashes overclockers and non-overclockers, patched and unpatched versions alike. It's even been known to crash the console! nothing ruins a high immersion game like frequent crashes.

Quest fragility is another problem. A lot of quests can be broken if you do things slightly out of order. It's not all that common, but this isn't some half-assed budget game like KOTOR II. It's oblivion. Things should just sort of work. On a related note, the way horses work sucks.

The NPCs are my last complaint. Their facial expressions are totally wrong all the time. When people are flipped out, their eyes are supposed to get bigger, not smaller. This is not rocket science. All that work went into making faces life-like and varried, but the expressions are creepily unnatural. How is it that the most touted RPG of all time has NPCs that look so much worse than the ones in HL2 - a first person shooter?!

This is an almost great game and if I hadn't experienced so much instability, I might let the other complaints go. Still maybe we can all stop pretending that this is the best game since Sliced Bread Challenge Ultra (remember that game?) and get real.
  44. AnonymousMC
    Feb 10, 2007
    WAY too much hype. The main storyline is terrible, very linear and also short, the main quests are too repetitive. There is hardly any nice stuff to get and not nearly enough armor to choose from. The autoadjustment of levels does more bad than good. The graphics need a lot of hardware power, the setting is too common for my tastes and everything looks too similar. What remains isWAY too much hype. The main storyline is terrible, very linear and also short, the main quests are too repetitive. There is hardly any nice stuff to get and not nearly enough armor to choose from. The autoadjustment of levels does more bad than good. The graphics need a lot of hardware power, the setting is too common for my tastes and everything looks too similar. What remains is exploring the world, many nice sidequests and good combat. But if both story and setting are simply boring as hell, what's the point? Expand
  45. AC
    Nov 2, 2008
    A decent attempt to create a open-beautiful-world game The graphics are great. Unfortunately, they made with old style thinking leading to a frustrating leveling system, 90% of the quests is go there and there and kill kill and come back for more. My opinion it is a good game when you have nothing else to do.
  46. AnonymousMC
    Aug 11, 2009
    Very expansive world to explore, and a plethora of side quests to complete make this a very good RPG. Unfortunately, the game is marred by serious design flaws and a main storyline that leaves much to be desired. There are mods to fix the worst of its problems (such as the unbalanced creature leveling), but a game should not have to rely upon its community modders to fix their product. 7/10.
  47. SD
    Aug 31, 2009
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. It may be beautiful, but that can scarcely hide the wafer thin plot or the mind-numbing repetition. Creating a great virtual world is one thing, and here this has been achieved. But a great virtual world needs to be inhabited to beings that aren't just clones of each other, and it needs to contain a game that's not just being an armed Fed Ex guy in a Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. It may be beautiful, but that can scarcely hide the wafer thin plot or the mind-numbing repetition. Creating a great virtual world is one thing, and here this has been achieved. But a great virtual world needs to be inhabited to beings that aren't just clones of each other, and it needs to contain a game that's not just being an armed Fed Ex guy in a pretty mythological world. Expand
  48. AeliusS.
    Mar 21, 2006
    A step back. The hype was just that. Doom3 and HL2 were both superior games technically speaking. Many of the hyped aspects are poor. The game cannot scale back like D3. The NPCs talk with each othe in non-sequitors, just like the NPCs in Kingping or Postal2. The voice work often sounds like a mod, complete with differing room verb. Some NPCs even speak using a mix-n-match of voices A step back. The hype was just that. Doom3 and HL2 were both superior games technically speaking. Many of the hyped aspects are poor. The game cannot scale back like D3. The NPCs talk with each othe in non-sequitors, just like the NPCs in Kingping or Postal2. The voice work often sounds like a mod, complete with differing room verb. Some NPCs even speak using a mix-n-match of voices depending on the topic. I am so upset that Bethesda would do this to us. Especially after the dissapointing FPS point and click Call Of Cthulu. Expand
  49. StevenS.
    May 6, 2006
    Cool game, good graphics. Expected more variety on spells and weapons. Scaling system sucks big time making the world adapt to you and not vice-versa how it is supposed to be.
  50. MattB.
    May 6, 2006
    The game itself is amazing, untill it suddenly comes to an abrupt end. sure you can keep going with side quests and whatever, but the main quest should have been much longer, graphics are awesome, but why is everyone so ugly? release a pretty face patch or something.
  51. MarkW.
    May 8, 2006
    The AI is not what it is cracked up to be, get used to hearing "I saw a Mud Crab the other day" and "I hear the Fighter's Guild is looking for recrutes". It's not uncommon to beat a foe because they are to stupid to get around a rock or obsticle. As mentioned the game punishes your character for leveling up and if thats not enough dreadful things happen in your sleep (so why The AI is not what it is cracked up to be, get used to hearing "I saw a Mud Crab the other day" and "I hear the Fighter's Guild is looking for recrutes". It's not uncommon to beat a foe because they are to stupid to get around a rock or obsticle. As mentioned the game punishes your character for leveling up and if thats not enough dreadful things happen in your sleep (so why level up?). The graphics are good...but the characters look like crap. It's full of little annoying bugs like characters that have different voices each time they speak. There are also annoying balance problems, like It took about 30 min. to find 10 nimroots (rarest in the game Ha !)....It took me 4 hours to find 5 simple garlic cloves. The game crashes often enough (on a rock solid computer). The story just doesn't make sense if your trying to pay attention to it. Horses are a joke as well as the game controlls. Things that improved are: battle, travel and graphics. Everything else is worse or the same. You will probably buy this and play it and wish you had your money back after the new wears off. Expand
  52. B.W.
    May 25, 2006
    There is so much wrong with this game: Crash bugs galore, awful scaling difficulty system (it's harder now at lv35 than it was when i was lv1), the leveling up system is flawed, the same spell effects STACK if cast from different spells. The game is great until all of this stuff gets under your skin.
  53. JohnI.
    Jun 4, 2006
    It only deserves a 10 if you have the highest PC and video card system in the world. I have more than min. specs but can hardly run it. Do not trust the specs bethesda gives! My Morrowind looks almost as good and is a lot better game despite no speech or "radiant AI". The swamp area feels like a swamp area and the wildenerness feels like a wilderness. Not so Oblivion, even if Morrowind It only deserves a 10 if you have the highest PC and video card system in the world. I have more than min. specs but can hardly run it. Do not trust the specs bethesda gives! My Morrowind looks almost as good and is a lot better game despite no speech or "radiant AI". The swamp area feels like a swamp area and the wildenerness feels like a wilderness. Not so Oblivion, even if Morrowind doesn't look as good. More proof that graphics isn't everything! Expand
  54. MartinK.
    Jun 11, 2006
    It really falls short of expectations. The whole game feels flat, not to mention the repetitive Oblivion planes. Level scaling TOTALLY ruins any kind of challenging gameplay, lucky that mods can fix that. There are,like, ten different armors in the game. C'mon. The graphics and the optimisitation is great. If you know how to handle an options menu, trust me, you won't have It really falls short of expectations. The whole game feels flat, not to mention the repetitive Oblivion planes. Level scaling TOTALLY ruins any kind of challenging gameplay, lucky that mods can fix that. There are,like, ten different armors in the game. C'mon. The graphics and the optimisitation is great. If you know how to handle an options menu, trust me, you won't have problems with a system barely above minimum specs. But any game that is unplayable without mods does not deserve more than 5 points. Expand
  55. Hef
    Jun 20, 2006
    A decent game, good for wasting away the hours, however it's plagued with bugs and the difficulty scaling issue doesn't help its cause much either. I stopped playing it with about half the quests finished, the repetitiveness of the game made me feel like I'd seen every new quest before.
  56. KameelE.
    Jun 28, 2006
    Nice graphics, but the scaling levels are a bad idea. You never, ever feel strong. Not nearly enough armor and weapons to find that you can use. One can become the leader of all the guilds without even embarking on the main mission which consists of, uh what was it again? Areas and dungeons all look the same and even though you can wander all over the map, it never feels like you are Nice graphics, but the scaling levels are a bad idea. You never, ever feel strong. Not nearly enough armor and weapons to find that you can use. One can become the leader of all the guilds without even embarking on the main mission which consists of, uh what was it again? Areas and dungeons all look the same and even though you can wander all over the map, it never feels like you are visiting new areas. Great fun for a while, but it loses it's luster fairly quickly. Run around in Sneak mode all the time and you soon become so unnoticable, you can walk right by every enemy in the game and NEVER fight. Voice work is ridiculosly silly when you are talking to an NPC and all of a sudden his voice is from a different person! There really is no immersion, as you always feel like an outcast and a stranger, intruding into others lives. I was rather disappointed. Expand
  57. HongW.
    Jul 12, 2006
    TES 4: Oblivion is a game that really disappointed me. I played Morrowind for years an thought, Oblivion would also do that. But it doesn't. Well, the graphics and pyhsics are absolutely great. But the most important thing, gameplay, sucks. After 100 hours you played all quests and there is nothing more to discover. Morrowind was much better in that view. The second thing is, that i TES 4: Oblivion is a game that really disappointed me. I played Morrowind for years an thought, Oblivion would also do that. But it doesn't. Well, the graphics and pyhsics are absolutely great. But the most important thing, gameplay, sucks. After 100 hours you played all quests and there is nothing more to discover. Morrowind was much better in that view. The second thing is, that i own the german version. (bad english ^^) You cant count all the translation and layout bugs. After over 4 months finally the patch comes out. And what does this thing do? Nearly nothing! Translation and layout still sucks and no interface mods are working properly anymore. So, patch that fixes some unimprotant things, or user patches (mods) that fix nearly everything? I think the answer is clear, Bethesda has forgotten the community and i hope TES 5 is much more like Morrowind, not Oblivion.. Expand
  58. MarcO.
    Aug 6, 2006
    Oblivion is the greatest game in terms of the massive amount of freedom and mods. There are countless mods/plug-ins for Oblivion and that is what i like. Even though the plug-ins cost a small sum it doesn't bother me. This game has somewhat little to no realism in terms of the jumping and weapon damage, physics etc etc. But I don't expect it to be perfect because nothing is Oblivion is the greatest game in terms of the massive amount of freedom and mods. There are countless mods/plug-ins for Oblivion and that is what i like. Even though the plug-ins cost a small sum it doesn't bother me. This game has somewhat little to no realism in terms of the jumping and weapon damage, physics etc etc. But I don't expect it to be perfect because nothing is perfect. And the most disapointing fact is that it has a tendency to crash ALOT. Other then that all is fine. Story line is okay. It's basically another life, i hope they patch up the technical problems, crashing glitches etc etc Expand
  59. DaveO.
    Oct 1, 2006
    I'm wasting little time here with more commentary on the game itself. It's already been done to death, dug up, and flogged repeatedly from every possible angle and point of game design philosphy that could be imagined. Clearly, under the light of any form of truly objective scrutiny, Oblivion (for the PC at least) is at best an average RPG. What has truly amazed and disappointed I'm wasting little time here with more commentary on the game itself. It's already been done to death, dug up, and flogged repeatedly from every possible angle and point of game design philosphy that could be imagined. Clearly, under the light of any form of truly objective scrutiny, Oblivion (for the PC at least) is at best an average RPG. What has truly amazed and disappointed me is the rabid fanboi-ism displayed by some of professional gaming press prior to, upon, and shortly after its release. I bought it, based on my experience with Morrowind, and partly because of the hype, and was bitterly dissapointed. I also happen to work in a large tech call centre (+150 people) mostly populated by insane gaming nutcases, (love 'em) and they have also largely panned this game. (and yes, I do have a VERY high-end PC, I am one of those gaming nutcases) Jebus guys, there is even one review in this list that spends most of it's time crying over the faults, and still comes up with a....90%! Get real, and respect your gaming public. Expand
  60. AmberD.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Despite this plot being a mockery of the one before it (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind), it is an amazing game. Graphics are astounding, when at their highest. I am aware that the system requirements for this game are, to be blunt about such matters, bullshit. On a 2gb Intel processor, you will not be able to run this game. At the least, I recommend a 3.7 Athlon. I am running it at Despite this plot being a mockery of the one before it (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind), it is an amazing game. Graphics are astounding, when at their highest. I am aware that the system requirements for this game are, to be blunt about such matters, bullshit. On a 2gb Intel processor, you will not be able to run this game. At the least, I recommend a 3.7 Athlon. I am running it at GeForce 7300 LE 512 meg graphics, of course, so you can understand that I am biased to the graphics because I can have it at highest settings Expand
  61. JackF.
    Mar 6, 2007
    Not a deep CRPG, more like a mindless action adventure. Not a worthy successor to TES2: Daggerfall and TES3: Morrowind, in my honest opinion. The term 'dumbing down' that the fans came up with, is not far from truth.
  62. DarkE.
    Apr 5, 2007
    Good fun, and huge world, but hugely overrated by the gaming press. Very weak main storyline and the combat could have been better. Sneak and Magic system satisfying although slightly disappointing.
  63. AsbjørnS.
    May 22, 2007
    TES IV: Oblivion is a mainstreamed version of TES III: Morrowind. Most of what made Morrowind such a great game has been simplified in Oblivion and the "role" in this RPG is hardly visible. The beauty, the complexity, the political intrigue, the dialogues, the history/lore, the geographical regions and their unique history have all been removed and left is only a repetitive console TES IV: Oblivion is a mainstreamed version of TES III: Morrowind. Most of what made Morrowind such a great game has been simplified in Oblivion and the "role" in this RPG is hardly visible. The beauty, the complexity, the political intrigue, the dialogues, the history/lore, the geographical regions and their unique history have all been removed and left is only a repetitive console version of a PC RPG. Expand
  64. ErraticCommunist
    Sep 3, 2007
    Oblivion is a game that tries to hide all of its faults under the surface. It actually gained such fame only because of success of its predecessor. The leveling system, the Radiant AI, the copy/pasted locations, unoptimized engine, STILL lots of bugs, frequent crashes, mediocre PC port, unplayable classes (esp. those that have, for example, Speechcraft as their primary attribute), plus Oblivion is a game that tries to hide all of its faults under the surface. It actually gained such fame only because of success of its predecessor. The leveling system, the Radiant AI, the copy/pasted locations, unoptimized engine, STILL lots of bugs, frequent crashes, mediocre PC port, unplayable classes (esp. those that have, for example, Speechcraft as their primary attribute), plus this game demands old video card sacrifices to run properly. And it tries to hide all these flaws under pretty graphics. If TES V goes the same way, it'll be deathbashed the moment it's released. The next game after the failure gets the punches. And yet though flaws are horrible, Oblivion is still a fun game to play. There is pretty neat gameplay, but it would've been much better if not for the tons of flaws hindering it. Expand
  65. iiiearsiiiears
    Sep 16, 2007
    Beautiful Graphics that beg for a 7 series nvidia card. The hundreds of hours of play during many dozen missions will keep this disk installed on your machine for several weeks. Certainly worth a try. There are a couple of minor irritations one of them is the 200+ hr bug that can corrupt your inventory and the second also at around 200+ hours that will cause door and flame animations to Beautiful Graphics that beg for a 7 series nvidia card. The hundreds of hours of play during many dozen missions will keep this disk installed on your machine for several weeks. Certainly worth a try. There are a couple of minor irritations one of them is the 200+ hr bug that can corrupt your inventory and the second also at around 200+ hours that will cause door and flame animations to slow down. Expand
  66. noobclass
    Oct 28, 2007
    Beautiful graphics. Pretty corny 'huge production' theme music at the title screen. I really enjoyed my time playing it, so I'll give it an 8. I'll outline some criticism for it down below. 1st person is great, really like to be able to control it that way. If you want to complain about it, go back to world of warcraft and the continuous clicking of 'cast Beautiful graphics. Pretty corny 'huge production' theme music at the title screen. I really enjoyed my time playing it, so I'll give it an 8. I'll outline some criticism for it down below. 1st person is great, really like to be able to control it that way. If you want to complain about it, go back to world of warcraft and the continuous clicking of 'cast spell', or clicking on the enemy and saying 'attack'. Making your own class was fun, but it didn't really make any difference. You can pick any class and end up being the same as others in the end. Also, a lot of useless skills (alteration, mercantile, illusion, speechcraft, security, etc...) that are just not worth it. The storylines were interesting, but again it was 'go to X city and talk to this person'. go to Y location and kill Z and retrieve AA item. Go back to X. Pretty repetitive after awhile. Unless you've played the game before, the birth signs all seem like really cool, unique ideas. Most of these can be completely obsolete after a couple levels (stat bonuses, shadow, tower, etc...). I would really love to see birth signs that are completely unique and you can't find as a scroll or spell after a couple hours of playing. Expand
  67. Toomuchhype
    Nov 10, 2007
    I rented it, then modded it to a six, which means playable, unfortunatley you can't mod the boring storyline, and dialogue. The gameplay out of the box without modding is poor, inferior to Morrowind, not a game for longtime pc rpg fans.
  68. CattyC.
    Dec 1, 2007
    The game has lots of bugs that basically discontinue the story (or make it impossible to continue. Other than that its fun for about a month.
  69. AlexS.
    Jan 17, 2008
    "Out of the box," Oblivion is huge, beautiful, and dull. It's true -- first leaving the sewers forces a strong, appreciative reaction. At the same time, there are definite problems. For example, despite its graphical potential, many spell animations are remarkably bad -- "Flare," the starting offensive spell, is understandably under-stated. Yet, additional spells sometimes look "Out of the box," Oblivion is huge, beautiful, and dull. It's true -- first leaving the sewers forces a strong, appreciative reaction. At the same time, there are definite problems. For example, despite its graphical potential, many spell animations are remarkably bad -- "Flare," the starting offensive spell, is understandably under-stated. Yet, additional spells sometimes look practically identical to it; the "radius"/splash effect of many is simply a red or blue coloring, which sort of looks like nothing. Luckily, there are many spell mods out there, using the kind of graphic animations and spell variety Oblivion should have already come with: beautiful comets dropping from the sky, multiple conjurations, black holes, etc. -- just really creative stuff that was simply missing. Even worse, the combat system is merely above decent. You simply aim, slash, block, and so on; although there are "power moves" which are unlocked, there is usually nothing special about them. In fact, every power move is the same from weapon to weapon, with the same effects: disarming, knocking out, paralyzing, etc. There is little variety here, too. There are some mods that add a few things, such as new moves and decapitation, but it's not much. It would have been great to include pressure points, many additional moves, and so on. Directly tied to this are the "skills," which are often uninteresting or useless. There is no, for example, combat-specific abilities that are unlocked -- as you improve abilities, you simply jump higher, run faster, hit harder, and so on. True, there are "perks," but they are tiny additions compared to the size of the game itself. I'm not saying this should have been like Diablo 2; at the same time, this game was released in 2006, when such abilities, etc., were often the norm. There are also significant balance issues, which have not been addressed. Combat is the main part of the game -- "role-playing" or not, you need to survive. But, if you play as Thief, for example, you will certainly be faster and more agile than the average NPC, but you simply won't be able to win most melee fights. Hand-to-Hand, too, is very dull, and quite weak -- despite the tweaks, mods, and so on, it has not been fixed. A promising mod with katars, claws, etc., to augment hand-to-hand was never finished -- it looked like it would have been a great help, especially since katars, etc., are just pure common-sense additions. In short, the game feels large at the expense of substance. I think the developers might have cut out about 1/4 of the areas, and focused more on tightening the gameplay itself -- in this way, we would still have a huge product, and a greater experience. Oblivion -- 7.5 / 10. Oblivion with mods -- 8.5 / 10. Expand
  70. MichaelU.
    Feb 19, 2008
    This game had so much potential...but a few flaws ultimately broke it. First of all, the leveling system is broken. You have to pick 7 skills and get them up to level up. Therefore, some people will level by fighting, but some people will just run and jump around to get athletics and acrobatics up. Conjuration is overpowered, because you can summon pets and kill them for xp. by the time This game had so much potential...but a few flaws ultimately broke it. First of all, the leveling system is broken. You have to pick 7 skills and get them up to level up. Therefore, some people will level by fighting, but some people will just run and jump around to get athletics and acrobatics up. Conjuration is overpowered, because you can summon pets and kill them for xp. by the time they notice you are killing them they are dead. Another problem is how short it is. by the time i was about 40 hours into the game i had the second best armor. The main quest will only take a few hours to beat, with side-quests being the only thing supporting it. It seems they put very little work into the main quest and just randomly threw side-quests at you. But the side quests usually have little meaning and most are not that fun. The world is actually not that big...It seems even smaller due to fast travel. Fast travel eliminates the use of a horse and makes the game even shorter. The fact that you can simply skip time is useful, but sometimes it makes things too easy. The voice acting is pretty good, but i often see an old man talking and when i ask him something he completely changes his tone and sounds like a 24 year old. The characters all look old and artificial, and there expressions are simply messed up. One person was angry and i had a high disposition with him. The final flaw is the physics. The physics are poorly done and everyone does things slowly. I often hit a goblin with a fire spell and he doesn't even twitch. The second time i do it he flies several meters and then falls extremley slowly. There are very few types of armor and weapons. Overall, this game seemed genre defining, but now it is simply rpg filling. Its a huge shame, really. This might have been one of the best RPGs ever. Although it is very fun for awhile, it will eventually lose charm. I recommend Two worlds, Gothic, or morrowind once your bored with Oblivion. Expand
  71. Cameron
    Feb 29, 2008
    Why do people hate Oblivion and say things like oh theres no effort into it? Dude watch the DvD for the making of it they use a whole new constrution set not rip the old morrowind the textures are great for one of the first games on 360 so don't bag games that you don't know anything about and the leveling system is about having a balanced charcter god some people are annoying Why do people hate Oblivion and say things like oh theres no effort into it? Dude watch the DvD for the making of it they use a whole new constrution set not rip the old morrowind the textures are great for one of the first games on 360 so don't bag games that you don't know anything about and the leveling system is about having a balanced charcter god some people are annoying making games is hard work! Expand
  72. XX
    Mar 21, 2008
    Though it starts off superbly, it actually commits a RPG cardinal sin which is an extremely poor character level design. In other words, you won't be stronger than your enemy -- they all level at the same time that you are. Still, one could close his eyes on this major flaw if you would still be able to complete your missions -- but that's where the problem lies: your friendly Though it starts off superbly, it actually commits a RPG cardinal sin which is an extremely poor character level design. In other words, you won't be stronger than your enemy -- they all level at the same time that you are. Still, one could close his eyes on this major flaw if you would still be able to complete your missions -- but that's where the problem lies: your friendly NPCs do not level like your enemies, so you won't be able to progress into the story if you do all the side quests before moving on. Can't believe it received 9s and 10s... avoid it. Expand
  73. FB
    May 6, 2008
    I could write a long review explaining all the problems with this game and why it does not deserve a 99/100 but I would prefer not to... All I really have to say is that GTA IV does not bring anything truly revolutionary to the table and is mostly just a prettier rehash of the previous games. Shame of the critics.
  74. JohnR
    Jun 9, 2008
    Like its predecessor "Morrowind" Oblivion is deeply flawed in a whole host ways and absolutely brilliant in a few. The game world itself is stunning to look at, truly huge (though perhaps not as huge as Morrowind's) and full of imaginative locations. It's such a pity that, just as is the case with Morrowind, it's populated by perhaps the dullest NPCs in computer gaming Like its predecessor "Morrowind" Oblivion is deeply flawed in a whole host ways and absolutely brilliant in a few. The game world itself is stunning to look at, truly huge (though perhaps not as huge as Morrowind's) and full of imaginative locations. It's such a pity that, just as is the case with Morrowind, it's populated by perhaps the dullest NPCs in computer gaming history. It seems that "speaking to people" in Tamriel consists in selecting from the same unbearably dull list of questions no matter whom you're addressing. It's honestly no more fun than navigating the telephone menu options when trying to find out your bank balance - and in fact that's what it reminds me of. I can't believe Bethesda didn't address this woeful shortcoming after Morrowind was panned for it. Bethesda simply have no idea how to give any personality or individuality to their NPCs and could learn a thing or two from all-round better games such as Baldur's Gate and Planescape : Torment in this respect. But even if this problem were resolved there's also the unbelievably generic location types : e.g every Oblivion Gate is the same, every Aeleid Ruin or Fort is virtually the same. Locations in general are as generic as are the NPCs : when you've seen one Aeleid Ruin, Oblivion Gate etc., you've seen them all. This isn't where the shortcomings end : what, for instance, is the point in my hacking my way through to the deepest reaches of a large dungeon only to find a best haul of a mere 250 gold pieces, a silver dagger and a couple of potatoes in the seventeenth barrel I (wearily by now) search, when I've already got 25000 gold pieces, much better weapons and all the food and herbs I could want ? I could also go on about the "improved" but still absolutely awful interface, the laughable voice-acting etc. but it wouldn't be fair. Oblivion is, strangely, quite enjoyable in some ways, mostly for the visual splendor of the distant landscapes ; but quests are in general dull, repetitive and unrewarding and the best thing you can do in this game - and what a game it COULD have been - is pick flowers and gape at the scenery. Disappointing and overhyped. Bethesda are developing Fallout 3 : RIP the Fallout series. Expand
  75. ET
    Jun 9, 2009
    I don't know why people love this game so much. The only good thing about it seems to be nice scenery. That's it. If you like green meadows, hellish landscape, and dungeons, buy this game. Mabye a few fun quests here and there too. They're rare. The copy-paste scenery, along with the copy paste weapons effects, along with the scaling level system and fast travel effectively I don't know why people love this game so much. The only good thing about it seems to be nice scenery. That's it. If you like green meadows, hellish landscape, and dungeons, buy this game. Mabye a few fun quests here and there too. They're rare. The copy-paste scenery, along with the copy paste weapons effects, along with the scaling level system and fast travel effectively means you're just playing the same 5 minutes of the game over and over again. All the spells of the same class look exactly the same. The realisim is completely borked too. What, throw a physics engine in and you get to call it realistic these days? You can fire 20 arrows into a guy's head and he'll lose 1/2 his health. Hrm, mabye make the arrows bounce off instead based on armor class? Or decrease their accuracy/power based on skill? No, let's just make them do less damage. Kudos, Bethesda. Expand
  76. IanV
    Oct 23, 2009
    The best example of setting the bar too high and stretching your resources too thin can be found within Oblivion. While everything within the world feels devoid of both life and meaning, there is an enormous amount of content to explore. Memorable quests stand out in a bitter sweet way, reminding you of the game's potential.
  77. TomVt
    Nov 5, 2009
    The beauty of this game does not make up for it's obvious flaws. While it is very fun to pick up once in a while, I never find myself playing through the game. Sure, it's not a linear game in the sense that you must follow a specific path - it is a very open ended game, but far from the open ended gameplay in for example Fallout 2. The scenery is wonderful, and the atmosphere is The beauty of this game does not make up for it's obvious flaws. While it is very fun to pick up once in a while, I never find myself playing through the game. Sure, it's not a linear game in the sense that you must follow a specific path - it is a very open ended game, but far from the open ended gameplay in for example Fallout 2. The scenery is wonderful, and the atmosphere is relaxing. I found myself picking flowers for an hour and making potions to poison my weapons. The close combat can be fun sometimes, but it feels wrong hitting a skeleton several times with a large hammer before it crumbles under it's feet. What I can't really forgive is the "big world" which is Oblivion. You walk into a town, and you overhear people taløking about some really evil demons that invaded a nearby town yesterday. (say, 1 or 2 miles away) The immersion really drops to a point of being hilariously implausible. What? So some demon lord have invaded a town nearby and doesn't move outside a radius of some hundred meters. I just don't get it. And don't forget the "randomized" interactions between npc's. Sometimes it works, but since it's "random" you can hear some pretty strange interactions. No doubt, I will pick it up again, just to sneak around castles and assassinating mayors and stealing their hidden treasures, but no way I'm gonna follow the main story. The pretentious boasting of it's scale coupled with it's serious flaws make it a potential victim for jokes. I recommend trying this game, but don't expect something big. It's a fun little game, nowhere as "big" as others say. The world is NOT big. Say, 25 square kilometres or something. And there are many towns at the size of a pack of farms. Expand
  78. JoeK.
    May 21, 2006
    GREAT GAME!
  79. Jan 16, 2013
    A good game if not for the bugs, crashes, mod setup difficulties, and many mediocre quests. Flaws aside, this is a big immersive game. Its the first fantasy/magic RPG I have played, and not a bad introduction to fantasy RPGs. I liked the music and little things like the ingame books and collecting alchemy ingredients. Get it to play Nehrim, a german super-mod, better than Oblivion, and oneA good game if not for the bugs, crashes, mod setup difficulties, and many mediocre quests. Flaws aside, this is a big immersive game. Its the first fantasy/magic RPG I have played, and not a bad introduction to fantasy RPGs. I liked the music and little things like the ingame books and collecting alchemy ingredients. Get it to play Nehrim, a german super-mod, better than Oblivion, and one of the best mods ever made.
    5/10 for Oblivion
    8/10 for Nehrim
  80. Jul 31, 2014
    "Oblivion" is outstanding, even today where it looks somewhat old-fashioned. Back in 2006, it was a true spectacle. Its vast open world full of (mostly) intriguing quests and choices to make is not something seen often in video games of that era. There are two facts I felt uncomfortable with. The first is that "Oblivion", even far better than "Morrowind" does not stay true to the RPG genre"Oblivion" is outstanding, even today where it looks somewhat old-fashioned. Back in 2006, it was a true spectacle. Its vast open world full of (mostly) intriguing quests and choices to make is not something seen often in video games of that era. There are two facts I felt uncomfortable with. The first is that "Oblivion", even far better than "Morrowind" does not stay true to the RPG genre in terms of character development. Your character does not seem to have a personality, and others are awkwardly blind to your actions in spite of some simple reactions related to the plots and the case you have a bounty on your head. The second is its ridiculous plot. Surely behind such an accomplished game there must have been some quite talented creators, but couldn't they come up with something more original, something more thrilling? Despite its flaws, "Oblivion" is undeniably a masterpiece, even from its wonderful cinematic opening. Expand
  81. Oct 13, 2014
    I haven't played this game until last year and I have to say that I was disappointed. All I wanted was to have a great single player experience. But I didn't get it. After completing the first story quest, I immediately skipped to the place where the second one was in order to realize that I had absolutely no chance against the enemies present in the Demon Gate. The game wanted me toI haven't played this game until last year and I have to say that I was disappointed. All I wanted was to have a great single player experience. But I didn't get it. After completing the first story quest, I immediately skipped to the place where the second one was in order to realize that I had absolutely no chance against the enemies present in the Demon Gate. The game wanted me to endlessly grind and level up in order to be able to progress further.

So, I decided to try some quests. One got my interest, in which a guy got robbed by some ladies while having "fun" with them. To my surprise, when I got to their hidden cottage, no one came and I got locked inside with no other way of getting out. I found out that it was a bug, so I tried this quest several other times and the girls remained at their original place - in the city. After killing them, the quest didn't progress, because they weren't in the location they were supposed to be in. How lame.

To sum it up, when the first quest in the game you try is so bugged that it cannot even be completed - that says something about the overall quality of the game. If only I could follow the storyline without having to complete buggy quests beforehand ...
  82. Nov 12, 2014
    This is my least favorite Elder Scrolls game. I find it somewhat boring and repetitive, with no significant improvements to the series.

It's a good game, but its got nothing on Skyrim, and frankly I enjoyed Morrowwind more.
  83. Mar 26, 2015
    Although I really enjoy Morrowind and Skyrim, I can't seem to get into this one. Art design is bland. Everything seems like a mediocre fairy tale. Interface and controls (or character reaction) are less clean and direct than previously mentioned games. It's big and for the time it had impressive visuals. Story and quests however cannot keep my attention. I always get bored and never feelAlthough I really enjoy Morrowind and Skyrim, I can't seem to get into this one. Art design is bland. Everything seems like a mediocre fairy tale. Interface and controls (or character reaction) are less clean and direct than previously mentioned games. It's big and for the time it had impressive visuals. Story and quests however cannot keep my attention. I always get bored and never feel like I want to keep playing this one. Expand

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.