The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PC

8.1

1. Apr 21, 2011
    The awful level-up system and vast number of unfixed bugs prevent me from giving this game a perfect score. Don't let that dissuade you, though - it's a fantastic game which provided me with over 100 hours of gameplay before I became even remotely bored.
  2. Apr 26, 2011
    I can't really give it anything less after putting 100+ hours into it and enjoying every minute of it. of course it does have some flaws including repetitive dungeons, not rewarding exploration enough, bad levelling system and game play bugs. overall it is a fantastic game.
  3. May 1, 2011
    Honestly, I don't understand most of the negative criticism for this game. A HUGE improvement on TES3: Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging (until you are extremely high level). Coupled with a do-anything-you-want style world, this game willHonestly, I don't understand most of the negative criticism for this game. A HUGE improvement on TES3: Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging (until you are extremely high level). Coupled with a do-anything-you-want style world, this game will entertain for hours. My only complaint is that it ended so soon. The world is much smaller than its predecessor, Morrowind. Players of that game will find the world somewhat confining, and you definitely won't get the 500+ hours of gameplay like you did in that title. An awesome game, though. Can't wait for TES V! Collapse
  4. Mar 13, 2011
    You will love or hate this game and one factor will determine which of the 2 it will be and that is if you mind a game lacking structure and be exceptionally open ended if you want a strong coherent story that is in any way linear this is not your game. However if you do not mind going so far as to even completely abandon even the main quest line for a while this is your game you can spendYou will love or hate this game and one factor will determine which of the 2 it will be and that is if you mind a game lacking structure and be exceptionally open ended if you want a strong coherent story that is in any way linear this is not your game. However if you do not mind going so far as to even completely abandon even the main quest line for a while this is your game you can spend hours hot accepting one quest just mindlessly wasting time killing thing and exploring dungeons if you do not mind a game being a complete time sink. the simple ability to be absolutely any class and just do whatever the hell you want is where this game shines. Expand
  5. Sep 9, 2011
    Oblivion is an open world RPG that is great in immersing the player in a fantasy world. The games great elements is allowing a player to build a character the way they want, rather then the way the developers want. The environment is beautiful. There are a few drawbacks. Combat is simplistic, some of the animations (such as jumping) are horrid looking and the ragdoll effects do tend toOblivion is an open world RPG that is great in immersing the player in a fantasy world. The games great elements is allowing a player to build a character the way they want, rather then the way the developers want. The environment is beautiful. There are a few drawbacks. Combat is simplistic, some of the animations (such as jumping) are horrid looking and the ragdoll effects do tend to somewhat break the immersion sometimes.

However, its in depth storyline and lore can only be competed with by its predecessor, Morrowind. Although possibly accurate in calling it a dumbed down version, Oblivion still carries a lot of elements that many other RPG titles miss.
  6. CJW
    Aug 18, 2009
    Definitely the one of the best, if not the best game, I have ever played. A must play for fans of RPG's, or anyone who is looking for an RPG experience that isn't hardcore. Even though there's a couple of little niggles, it still fells finished, polished, and the DLC adds so much more depth to the game.
  7. Feb 17, 2012
    From when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexusFrom when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexus oblivion mods). As an unmodded game it's a 8/10 in the current climate. As a modded game. It's a 10/10. This score reflects the modded version. Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2011
    100+ hours of content before you even added the DLCs, decent graphics for the release year, okay combat system, very atmospheric music and sound, totally moddable so you can get updates to just about everything. Just about the perfect RPG of the decade.
  9. May 15, 2011
    Oblivion is a classic. There is so much to do and such a big world that it is very liberating. With no real classes, you can do almost anything given enough time and training. The flora and fauna of Cyrodil is diverse and interesting. The graphics, at the time were quite impressive and for a 5 year old game, they're still very decent. Some of the quests are fun and varied, though the curseOblivion is a classic. There is so much to do and such a big world that it is very liberating. With no real classes, you can do almost anything given enough time and training. The flora and fauna of Cyrodil is diverse and interesting. The graphics, at the time were quite impressive and for a 5 year old game, they're still very decent. Some of the quests are fun and varied, though the curse of repetitive quests in rpgs still plagues this game. If there isn't enough game for you, even with the expansions, there are many mods out there to help you tailor the game to your desires. Expand
  10. May 17, 2011
    Oblivion was my favourite game when it was released. After 5 years, I have just gone back to play it again, and it is just as magical as before. The storyline is amazing, and the seamless way in which you can pursue adventure down so many smaller story arcs is just fantastic.

The feature that gives this game so much replay value, however, is the ability to mod. There are so many available and they breath new life into the game at every turn.
  11. Jul 2, 2011
    Its a large game with a big world many quest and many item. its an open world wich i liked the most. plus mods you can download mant more items quests and world spaces, so best game ever.
  12. Dec 21, 2011
    This was my first Elder Scrolls game and when i first played i was totally amazed by the freedom the game gives you... the modding support if still strong which brings lots of replayability value.
  13. Oct 2, 2010
    This game was to some degree a let down to me, but simply because I loved Morrowind so much. The game itself is very good, a great RPG that follows that traditional open ended free to do what you want formula. I did find the main story to be a bit short and a bit too linear but overall I think this is a great PC game that every RPG fan should play.
  14. Jun 9, 2012
    Played this game for like 50 hours and unfortunately I have to say the gameplay is broken. Why? Because investing in the illusion & invisibility can make any quest too easy. Going through the main campaign was a breeze (even on hardest difficulty) simply because I could turn invisible, turn enemies against each other and do the entire game without having to fight an enemy.

When you're

When you're able to do that, and there's no way for the enemy to stop you, how will this game be challenging? I'm not gonna pretend I don't have these powers just to enjoy the game, it's broken gameplay. On top of that, I didn't even have to level up at all, which is done by sleeping. They should've done it so you automatically level up as soon as you get the experience. Now you can just avoid leveling up. Why would you want to do that? Because your enemies and creatures become better and stronger the more you level up. You can stop this process by not going to bed.

Anyways, it was fun while it lasted. Now it's just boring.
  15. Nov 8, 2011
    Great game, it is rpg and is more or less a decide your own path kind of game, only a few things i didn't like about it which didn't make me give a 10/10 is: It is a bit unrealistic how fast you level up in things and how when your sword is almost broken it looks perfectly fine, another is the graphics and graphical problems like how all water looked pink to me.
  16. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the game. Simple as that. Although Skyrim is better, as it should be, Oblivion was an awesome game. I loved the environment and meeting the people in it. I especially loved the quests in the game as it was fun to be the Grand Champion of the Arena, the Gray Fox of the Thieves Guild, Master of the Fighter's Guild, Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, and the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood. I also loved the expansive DLCs like Shivering Isles and the Knights of the Nine. Of all the characters in the game, I just LOVED Sheogorath's personality. It made my day everytime I saw him, especially when he was included in Skyrim. The Knights of the Nine was boring at first collecting all the gear. But the sky battle with Umaril was completely epic! So overall, I loved the game and I hope to see the series continued on for years. Expand
  17. Dec 16, 2011
    A bit overhyped, but actually quite good in my opinion. Yes it has its flaws - level scaling, UI, animations are silly, main story is quite cheap, atmosphere still not as good as Morrowind etc. Yet still the world is unbelievably huge and very well made. It requires a special approach to this game to fully enjoy it, but it is worth it.
  18. Jul 25, 2012
    Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively.Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively. The quests themselves still have an interesting variety to them, from simple fetch-this quests to more complex place-to-place quests which I think Bethesda should starts focusing on more rather than pad out games with grind missions. The graphics are adequate, but the environments lack any real distinction from one another and characters have a strange uncanny valley look to them during conversation. Voice acting is also uneven, but Bethesda should no longer lose points for that. The combat would indeed be accurate of real-life swordplay if the combatants both fought by slapping each other with pieces of cardboard. Anyway, enough negatively, let's talk positive. As I said, the quests have a nice variety to them and the main story is alright, if uneven. The environments are nicely designed and the scoring is typically excellent. Of course, above all else remains that sense of true, organic open-ended game-play that Bethesda is renowned for. As a whole though, Oblivion is still an excellent game that is let down by a lack of identity among other Beth games. By the way Bethesda, you don't need to pad out the game with radiant quests, you should focus more on making more of though long-winding quests like they had in Morrowind. Skyrim was a step in the right direction, but man up Bethesda! You have nothing to lose if you make another game as unique as Morrowind! Expand
  19. Mar 20, 2012
    The story in this game is good, but presented in a boring way where you see everything from one perspective. I've never been a fan of this kind of storytelling, but then again it's not why I play Bethesda games. It is the giant open world packed with quests that draw me in. The skills are nicely done, but some are unnecessary and the leveling system don't work properly. Combat is ok, butThe story in this game is good, but presented in a boring way where you see everything from one perspective. I've never been a fan of this kind of storytelling, but then again it's not why I play Bethesda games. It is the giant open world packed with quests that draw me in. The skills are nicely done, but some are unnecessary and the leveling system don't work properly. Combat is ok, but when you take all things in consideration Oblivion is a very good game. Small problems like the combat and leveling system is overshadowed by the size of the world and all the stuff you can do within the game! Expand
  20. May 18, 2012
    I'm really too lazy to explain the reason i rate it 10/10 but it's well worth, the fact that you can do almost anything is already enough, all the negative emotions i got only from characters visualisation the faces were really ugly but hell, there's like thousands of mods for that. Good job!
  21. Aug 16, 2012
    I have never played a game that I didn't finish but enjoyed soo much. I played over 200 hours with the different modules and only quit because my computer died. Thank goodness it died because I fear that I would still be playing. The world was so vast, so easy to enter and so easy to loose all my free time. I loved every minute.
  22. Sep 2, 2012
    Even though i am a huge fan of all rpgs and especially the elder scrolls, oblivion is the game that stands out for me. The gameplay is amazing with hundreds of different game styles to adopt which make the game a completely different experience. Some people might like to snipe their targets from afar, some might like to hack their way through the game while you can even be a powerful mageEven though i am a huge fan of all rpgs and especially the elder scrolls, oblivion is the game that stands out for me. The gameplay is amazing with hundreds of different game styles to adopt which make the game a completely different experience. Some people might like to snipe their targets from afar, some might like to hack their way through the game while you can even be a powerful mage and summon ferocious monsters to do the work for you! The map is gigantic and very detailed and when you first enter the game you feel lost in its vastness. Furthermore, there are hundreds of quests that you can do besides the main quest which will earn you large amounts of gold and hidden treasures which will in their turn aid you in your travels. The dialogues are very nice, the graphics very good considering the immersity of the environment the lack of frame drops even in average computers. The music will stick in your ears for days and you will generally find the game to be very entertaining. Personally, even after having spents hundreds of hours on skyrim, i still prefer this game to it, since it has an epic feel to it and it's one of few fantasy games which really create a believable world! It's an even better experience if you enjoy the game with expansions and many mods that have improved it in so many ways and taken care of some little bugs and glitches. I URGE you to try it! Expand
  23. Sep 11, 2012
    This İs Not a Game.This İs Another World.
  24. Apr 3, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has its flaws, but what it does right, dear God, it does SO right. This game is one of a kind, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. A must play.
  25. Jun 2, 2013
    I am a HUGE fan of the TES games. I have played them all and even modded the tar out of III and IV. TES IV: Oblivion is a fantastic game. The only reason I gave it a score of 8 is because although I love the game, there are a few things I wish Bethesda would have done better or differently.

Let me start with the BAD: There's a lot here. The leveling system I don't care for, because

Let me start with the BAD: There's a lot here.

The leveling system I don't care for, because the way the creatures level with you, I never felt like my player got any stronger. I also thought the storyline was a little weak. I felt very unsatisfied when it ended. The Oblivion gates were very tedious. It seems like someone just got lazy and copy/pasted. Not much fun. Furthermore, the NPC races share voices instead of each having a unique voice as in TES III: Morrowind. This was a let down. Furthermore, it doesn't seem like Bethesda put very much effort into NPC realism with this title. For instance, if you get caught stealing or trespassing, the guards will try to arrest you, however, if you get busted in let's say the Imperial City, resist arrest, head to let's say, Bruma and then talk to a guard, they will try to arrest you for that crime you committed in the Imperial City. I guess the guards are all psychic. Weird. I mean, how could the guards know your character was a wanted criminal in another village? Same thing when you steal an Imperial Legion horse. Even though the guard is lying there dead and you take the horse, you can still get busted. Those legion horses are the same as other horses in the game. Are they tagged or branded or something? NPC reactions are pretty bad. As with Morrowind, people had many things to say to your character regarding nudity, the weather, disease, and many other things. You don't see this in Oblivion. Rather dull if you ask me and very unrealistic. Thanks to mods, many of these bad points I've noted have been fixed, but it's something Bethesda should have done. Oblivion seems to have focused mainly on graphics and eye candy rather than realism. Sad but true.

Now for the GOOD:

The journal/quest system is awesome. In Morrowind, you could break quests if you weren't careful. This has been very much improved in Oblivion. Great. The graphics are incredible. The combat system I found very fun and enjoyable. The alchemy is a blast to play with as you can make very powerful potions. I especially liked the powerful weather effects. Very good! The guild quests were all good and the side quests were fun as well. I really liked the ability to buy houses and ride horses. The forts and caves all seemed a little repetitive, but were still fun in ways. All in all, although I feel the game has more bad points than good, I still have to rank it as the 3rd best in the TES series. The game is awesome despite its many flaws. 8/10.
  26. vendingmaching
    Oct 20, 2007
    The BEST game i have EVER played in my entire life. The caves are the best part and the graphics are awesome.
  27. megatron
    Apr 1, 2006
    its one of the best prg that i ever saw,in my life and i have seen a lot..played the morrowind,it took me a lot of time which i wont regret on neglecting other real time expieriences,something that i ll probably do with oblivion also..great game...Also something to mention to giancarlo b,and all other pc fan boys;maybe if u looked at the xbox360 version on a 52" something monitor u wouldits one of the best prg that i ever saw,in my life and i have seen a lot..played the morrowind,it took me a lot of time which i wont regret on neglecting other real time expieriences,something that i ll probably do with oblivion also..great game...Also something to mention to giancarlo b,and all other pc fan boys;maybe if u looked at the xbox360 version on a 52" something monitor u would nt be happy with the result....i trashed my friends pc version,with no antialising and hdr at the same time running has at 1024*768....on 6800 ultra,with newst drivers,2gigabyte ram and amd anything at full,(sorryyyyyy!!!)playing my xbox version on my 1600*1200 pc monitor at 1280 p wtih a component 2 vga transoder....my mate is still gathering the pieces of his jaw from the ground....and he version was at least choppy,(the horse ride,.....yuk...)As for the controls,i can still beat most of pc wannabe either mouse,or joypad...if you practice it will come....and i come clean at both(although i still b lieve that mouse key +fps,are currntly the best combination) ....just 2 set somethings straight....and 4 the record,try not compering cheap tv or oversyzed set ups with a smaller pc monitor,cause u would b surpised how auful a good image shows at three to 4 times bigger screen..now matter the resolution...try hooking up the pc on a 36 or bigger monitor with the same resolution and u ll see what i mean...support games,not tech specs.. Expand
  28. Xavier
    Jun 11, 2009
    Great, no brilliant game, leveling system gets annoying some time, love the addons. Great graphics, though it seemed to be missing something, and the few odd glitches got annoying.
  29. MorganGonzales
    Oct 3, 2005
    This game is the most beautiful game i have ever seen, from the perfect lighting to the forests. The gameplay looks even better with the new combat system that combines all the fighting elements and the ragdoll system as well as the traps and physics for them in the dungeons. The NPCs arent just generic characters they do everything from casting spells to sleeping when they feel like it,This game is the most beautiful game i have ever seen, from the perfect lighting to the forests. The gameplay looks even better with the new combat system that combines all the fighting elements and the ragdoll system as well as the traps and physics for them in the dungeons. The NPCs arent just generic characters they do everything from casting spells to sleeping when they feel like it, they really look to embody what every rpg has tried to do. But oblivion suceeds at it. Gonna be the best game of 2005 and probably top 10 of all PC games for awhile Expand
  30. ZacharyLocklear
    Oct 7, 2005
    I believe that this game will be much better than the third because the graphics seem almost real from what I have seen and I like that it will have a bigger land mass than the third. I just wish that they had made it have optimal cooperative gameplay.
  31. May 1, 2011

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.