8.0

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1995 Ratings

1. Dec 15, 2010
    Fantastic Game. The freedom we have to mount classes , magics and our own alternative paths and quests in the game are really unique. Plus , instead of other famous RPG like games, it brings us the experience of good first person combat.
  2. Mar 11, 2011
    Well, it's nothing compared to Morrowind. The world felt very small in comparison. The quests were very short, with the exception of the mains toryline, which couldn't have been more tedious. Oblivion feels rushed and they really could've brought a lot more things from Morrowind forwards. I was also disappointed to find the Imperial City was actually quite small, and was miniscule comparedWell, it's nothing compared to Morrowind. The world felt very small in comparison. The quests were very short, with the exception of the mains toryline, which couldn't have been more tedious. Oblivion feels rushed and they really could've brought a lot more things from Morrowind forwards. I was also disappointed to find the Imperial City was actually quite small, and was miniscule compared to some of the cities in Morrowind. Expand
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    Picked this up on a recent Steam sale. I had Morrowind on xbox when it came out but I never got into it. It seemed extremely boring and long to get into. Well, years later Oblivion is also extremely long to get into and boring at the beginning, but it sure is worth it. This game is detail on a scale that no other game even approaches much less achieves. From random books scatteredPicked this up on a recent Steam sale. I had Morrowind on xbox when it came out but I never got into it. It seemed extremely boring and long to get into. Well, years later Oblivion is also extremely long to get into and boring at the beginning, but it sure is worth it. This game is detail on a scale that no other game even approaches much less achieves. From random books scattered around the world (that are actually written and can all be read) to thousands of things, just things, strewn all over the place. Each one realized on a scale that makes it almost impossible not to get lost in this game. Imagine taking about a 50 mile square of land in the real world with all the trees, houses, roads, people, animals, water, weather, everything and sticking all of that into a game. That's Oblivion. Houses fully detailed inside and out, random junk that is actually relevant and non-repetitive like people really have. If you want to know what this place you're standing looks like from that mountain top over yonder, hike up the mountain and take a look. You can. In fact, you can basically do anything you want any way you want. It's the most freedom in a game, ever. Period. (notwithstanding other Elder Scrolls games of course) Want to be a spell casting rogue that pick pockets and hides in the shadows? OK. Wanna be a ranger that also swings a gigantic mace? OK. Wanna be a warrior but in leather armor and summoning undead? OK. Whatever you want, there's a way to do it. The game is huge, I'm talking HUGE. Think WoW without the subscription and they probably have about the same content (except this is one release with some xpac content and WoW is constantly updated for the last 7 years). There is a good enjoyable story packed in between all the other side quests and random places to explore also. It's the whole package. This game would easily warrant a perfect 10, except it's not perfect. Unfortunately Bethesda, in all their creative genius, weren't very good at squashing bugs. This game came out in 2006 and despite multiple official patches and DLC content for sale there are literally thousands of bugs in the game they never bothered to fix. The game is so popular that its very talented and committed fan base has created their own mods that patch the game for you correcting many of these bugs, but they shouldn't have to. Bethesda made the money off the game, not the fans, they should be the ones fixing it. So, 7/10 because buggy games deserve ZEROES, but this game really is awesome. Expand
  4. May 20, 2011
    A heroic fantasy masterpiece and an RPG modder's dream, sadly flawed by some poor design choices (eg, level scaling) and its reliance on a vague high fantasy aesthetic over the depth of lore and hand-crafted world of its predecessor Morrowind.

But the scope, potential, and fundamental gameplay value of Oblivion can hardly be overstated, especially when it's considered as a 5 year-old game. An imperfect classic.
  5. May 22, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily toElder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily to the atmosphere, making you feel like part of this enormous world. However majority of those locations I've mentioned are pretty repetitive. A lot of caves and other dungeons look the same. Hence the free-roaming does get boring eventually. The character creation feature however is phenomenal. First of all you get to choose one of 10 races (4 races of humans, 3 races of elves, and then also orcs, argonians and khajiit), each one with its own set of pros and cons. After you've chosen a race you customize the character's appearance, all of their facial features, etc. After that you pick a class. Best idea to perhaps customize your own class, because the way it works is that each class favours a certain set of skills and attributes, meaning you get bonuses to those at the start and they are the ones that would contribute to your levelling up. So getting to choose the attributes yourself is the best. The main story is not bad. It does have its good bits and also some boring bits, but all in all worth playing through at least once. The game has a huge amount of side quests too, as well as 4 different factions, all of which have their own story arcs as well - Fighter's guild, Mages' guild, Thieves' guild and The Dark Brotherhood (aka Assassins' guild). There is a good variety of various armors and weapons. However for the most part the better items only start appearing once you reach a certain level, and the levelling up is rather slow. Nevertheless, due to such a big variety of skills, the game can be played in many different ways - a sturdy paladin, a silent archer, a fierce spellcaster, a poison assassin, a hand-to-hand fighter, etc. However playing as the same character for long does get repetitive, and hence I'd say Oblivion is not one of those games you tend to come back to very quickly after completing it. Overall it's a beautiful and very atmospheric game. It's a consuming new world. That's what it is. When you play Oblivion, you find yourself feeling like you're part of it. Expand
  6. May 20, 2011
    I admit I love Oblivion, I played like hundreds of hours in it. However, there is the Oblivion out of the box which you grow tired of rather quickly, certainly after one full run through the main quest (which I liked but could be more elaborate) and some of the guild quests. And then there is the modded Oblivion which is simply amazing and a universe in itself. Out of the box the game is aI admit I love Oblivion, I played like hundreds of hours in it. However, there is the Oblivion out of the box which you grow tired of rather quickly, certainly after one full run through the main quest (which I liked but could be more elaborate) and some of the guild quests. And then there is the modded Oblivion which is simply amazing and a universe in itself. Out of the box the game is a 6 or 7 maybe (I much agree with what reviewer Phlakes is saying), but the modded game is the best game ever, if you take the time to learn modding which can get intricate and intimidating. So I give it a 9. Expand
  7. May 24, 2011
    This game is undoubtedly one of the greatest, if not the greatest, I've ever played. The game-play is fun, the character-creation system is ambitious, and the story is captivating (but perhaps a bit generic). The class system is entirely flexible, allowing you to take advantage of limitless possibilities. Bethesda's huge library of lore is so diverse and expansive; it could convince youThis game is undoubtedly one of the greatest, if not the greatest, I've ever played. The game-play is fun, the character-creation system is ambitious, and the story is captivating (but perhaps a bit generic). The class system is entirely flexible, allowing you to take advantage of limitless possibilities. Bethesda's huge library of lore is so diverse and expansive; it could convince you that Tamriel is a real place. There are a plethora of dungeons to explore, items to find, and monsters to slay. Only a handful of negative factors (lack of diverse voice-acting, awkward AI, etc.) stopped me from giving this game a perfect ten. There is absolutely no-one that I wouldn't recommend this game to; It's a great experience, and you'll easily put over a hundred hours into exploring the beautiful land of Cyrodiil. If the 2006 graphics aren't to your liking, there are plenty of mods over on TESNexus or Planet Elder Scrolls to improve them.

The defining factor that places Oblivion on the RPG Throne is it's open world. It's the very first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the game. There are choices to be made in every situation; your character could be a ruthless assassin, a righteous knight, or a brilliant mage; there are no boundaries. So buy Oblivion, you'll be glad you did.
  8. May 27, 2011
    Oblivion, many improvements over Morrowind (combat, graphics...), and even more deterioration (story, characters, quests, number of guilds ... ).

And there is lvl scaling... my god what they were thinking.
  9. May 30, 2011
    This is what a game should be- you felt fully immersed, as though your decisions mattered- this is a great game, and a great modding community make it even better.
  10. Sep 25, 2011
    Okay, I will rate this in two portions. First will be the game in its out of the box, vanilla state. The second will be with the addition of mods. Overall I give the game a solid 7 for vanilla and a 9 for mods, so we can call it even at 8.

1. Vanilla oblivion is great. When the game first came out it was the first next gen game of its kind. That is a huge reason it had so much hype. How mnany other games offered that detailed and that gorgeous of a gameworld? Now in comparison to Morrowind, the quests sucked. Morrowind actually took a real long time to complete even if you did only main quest and hauled ass. Oblivion's main quest is just kinda....done. I finished the game and was astonished how little time it required. Realistaqcally...you can probably beat the main quest in 1-2 days if you know what your doing. Side quests- Oblivion did have some interesting and funny side quests at times but I kinda missed the running down a road in the middle of nowhere and some guy offers me 50 bucks to deliver some shirts from morrowind. Oblivion to me was more of a showcase than an actual Elder Scrolls. Also you need to keep in mind tech limits in 2006 they wanted this onto one disc... the game is several gigs. and ppl always btich about how morrowind was so massive....Guys...Morrowind GOTY takes up 924MB on my HD, that aint alot, thats less than a damn movie. Anyways. The biggerst dissappointment in Oblvion for me was the leveled creature system. At levels 1-7/8 you fight nothing but imps, wolves and the occasional bandit. In morrowind, god help you if you went somewhere at level 1-10 or 10-20 so on that you weasnt supposed to be. Every region in Morrowind had its own creatures of varying strengths. So if you went to Molag Amur at lvl 1 you got ate.

2. Alright. Mods... As always TES has an amazing mod community and like all the previous games you can mod anything...and I mean ANYthing. I wont go into detail but go to tesnexus or planetelderscrolls. they have thousounds upon thousands of mods.
  11. Oct 18, 2012
    The game is nice to play, but you don't really feel that you have progressed when you level up, because enemies level up as well. Loot and rewards are leveled as well, so you may have to wait till you're at a greater level before starting some quests in order to better equipment. The leveling system ruins this otherwise beautiful game.
  12. Dec 29, 2012
    The absolute worst and most overhyped game I can remember. This game is like a punishment that was secretly made by the religious fanatics who were trying to ban Dungeons and Dragons in the 80's. And everyone giving it a 10 is like one of those people who are now playing online roleplaying games. Massive, massive expanses that are COMPLETELY empty.. void of any life whatsoever.The absolute worst and most overhyped game I can remember. This game is like a punishment that was secretly made by the religious fanatics who were trying to ban Dungeons and Dragons in the 80's. And everyone giving it a 10 is like one of those people who are now playing online roleplaying games. Massive, massive expanses that are COMPLETELY empty.. void of any life whatsoever. Apparently this is considered 'exploration'. I have never seen such a barren and lifeless game environment in my entire life. The 'facial expressions' made me cringe... the 'story' was so cliche.. it also made me cringe. I think this game is more like an instructional video for making facial expressions for people who live in caves. Expand
  13. Aug 17, 2013
    This game always loomed around the video store unnoticed, until I picked it up one day by chance. I never looked back since then, it is one of my all time favorites, and I will always treasure the memories and experiences this game gave me. Absolute 10/10.
  14. Nov 20, 2011
    Oblivion is game like no game in its genre.. The story has complexity and yet is displayed in an understanding theatrical way. With monstrosity of number of things to do or kill, it appears almost infinite. The design of upgrading your character with so many options is thrilling. Most of glitch hiccups are completely gone, which is sigh of relief from the launch problems.. The graphicOblivion is game like no game in its genre.. The story has complexity and yet is displayed in an understanding theatrical way. With monstrosity of number of things to do or kill, it appears almost infinite. The design of upgrading your character with so many options is thrilling. Most of glitch hiccups are completely gone, which is sigh of relief from the launch problems.. The graphic engine seems to be slightly improved, than its launched texture look. Yet even with so many things to do, their are some more utterly boring quests and repetitive dungeons or caves. More creativity is needed with the cave system. Some weird instances of a tiresome traveling, "Do I continue to trot on this slow horse or is walking faster", "What do I do here, do I go there, wait no its back there". A simple system of helping you more, can sometimes be relief to some amateur gamer's. Though I find completely fine, I like a challenge, of a hide and seek sort of thing. Some gamer's do feel different, with a game this huge. There are many instances to get lost in multiple quest, that take literally days till you get back to your main one. For the criticism of a this game, it is really minor thread. Awesome presentation, improved graphics, less hiccups, mid-creativity yet very beautiful. Oblivion gets 8.75 out 10........ Expand
  15. Jan 14, 2012
    This game is more open then the usual games out there, and does a great job. It's not perfect, but was worth playing casually. It's not that visually striking for the kids with disorders and can be boring at times, but the experience is unique.
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    Oblivion was my first TES game, so I enjoyed it greatly. But it DOES have very many flaws... But if you enjoy RPGs and haven't played Oblivion, you definitely need to give it a go.

It's better than Skyrim (AKA Babys first RPG)
  17. May 19, 2012
    This was my first Elder Scrolls game and it did not disappoint for one reason: it had a massive library of mods. I can think of no other game that compares to the scale of modding scene of Oblivion. Even other Beth games pale in the face of it. Vanilla Oblivion however has more than its fair share of bugs and flaws. Repetitive gameplay, an inventory system inferior to its predecessorThis was my first Elder Scrolls game and it did not disappoint for one reason: it had a massive library of mods. I can think of no other game that compares to the scale of modding scene of Oblivion. Even other Beth games pale in the face of it. Vanilla Oblivion however has more than its fair share of bugs and flaws. Repetitive gameplay, an inventory system inferior to its predecessor and horrible voice acting bring this game down. Despite this, the various storylines, in game lore and in game customization warrants at least an 8/10. Modded Oblivion however is a solid ten if not eleven out of ten. I have seen no other game that is better than a personalized Oblivion. Expand
  18. Jun 11, 2012
    Oblivion is a great place to start in Elder Scrolls if you are newer to RPGs or if you want a more laid-back approach. I only gave it a seven because of how much potential it threw away. If you are a fan to the Elder Scrolls series, you know what I am talking about. The graphical changes also kind of annoyed me. I am not one of the people who thinks graphics is the most important in gamingOblivion is a great place to start in Elder Scrolls if you are newer to RPGs or if you want a more laid-back approach. I only gave it a seven because of how much potential it threw away. If you are a fan to the Elder Scrolls series, you know what I am talking about. The graphical changes also kind of annoyed me. I am not one of the people who thinks graphics is the most important in gaming (I still play Mario for the NES) but I think when you go through a drastic change from what they used to be, it kind of ruins a lot. It's like when you change an actor for the same character in a movie. The graphics became cartoony, which made it harder for me to immerse myself into the game. It's a pretty good game in the beginning, and the questline isn't too short. It is annoying to level, however, because of the Major Skill restriction. There aren't minor and miscellaneous skills that you can pull a little bit of level experience off of, like in Morrowind, and you can't pull level experience from every skill, like in Skyrim. The questing system isn't very rounded, either, and some of the questlines can really piss you off because of their restrictions. Like others before me, I would say that it had great bones but started going the wrong way. It lacks relative long term value unless you try every race and every class (but then you are just repeating everything). There are also a lot fewer side-quests to Oblivion than the other Elder Scrolls games.
    Another CON that I have is the fact that they ripped out a lot of good stuff, like Dwemer. Ayleid ruins are nowhere near the same as Dwemer ruins, and there aren't any artifacts based around them.
    Onto the PROS:
    The game is good to be immersed in or just to play as long as you can get by the cons.
    There is actually fast traveling.
    It isn't too easy or too hard to beat and creatures are all leveled with you to some extent (they will replace rats with wolves, and wolves with hogs and bears and trolls and such).
    There is quite a few things to go through and explore even though there aren't as many as the other games.

All in all, Oblivion is a more laid-back RPG system that is great to play if you haven't played the other Elder Scrolls installments (kinda the same with Skyrim players who are new to the Elder Scrolls universe, I hate them with the burning passion of a thousand lemmings!, although it would help if you played Morrowind before Skyrim and possibly even Oblivion).
    And if you haven't played the other games you won't get the suckerpunch to the kidneys showing that Oblivion is a hell of a difference.
  19. May 24, 2014
    Really awesome,unique RPG game with interesting stories and quests.
    It has great story,graphics,this game can kep you entertained for many many hours.
    And of course,the Expansions,and the moddability launches the game in the sky!
  20. Aug 16, 2012
    The main storyline wasn't the best for me, but the side quests had me playing until I've finished them all. Great graphics (if you ignore the humanoid characters). Not as great as Morrowind or Skyrim, though for obvious reasons.
  21. Sep 2, 2012
    I remember when I played this game when it first came out on pc, on a new system I had just built. This game at that time blew my mind. This was the first "open world" game I played, and the sheer magnitude was astonishing. The graphics and gameplay opened a whole new world for me. It does take some time to get going, but once you are moving you can't stop. The world map is huge and theirI remember when I played this game when it first came out on pc, on a new system I had just built. This game at that time blew my mind. This was the first "open world" game I played, and the sheer magnitude was astonishing. The graphics and gameplay opened a whole new world for me. It does take some time to get going, but once you are moving you can't stop. The world map is huge and their are TONS of locations. I do believe some of the cities and dungeons can be a bit repetitive and the fighting mechanics aren't the best, but for its time this was a truly great open world. I would like to see a bigger variety of armor and weapons, but there's still a lot here. It was also cool going through portals to oblivion to fight off evil, and this was just one piece to a giant puzzle. Overall I think the game could have been perfected, a lot of mods out now are interesting and worth trying, but it is still an very good adventure! Expand
  22. Mar 21, 2014
    This game is still better quality than some of the games that are produced and released today, although Skyrim was an amazing game I still had way more fun in Oblivion than Skyrim. Although the AI in this game was a bit buggy and sometimes quests bugged out it is so much fun that it is easy to overlook these things. The two bad things about this game is that it's so addictive that you canThis game is still better quality than some of the games that are produced and released today, although Skyrim was an amazing game I still had way more fun in Oblivion than Skyrim. Although the AI in this game was a bit buggy and sometimes quests bugged out it is so much fun that it is easy to overlook these things. The two bad things about this game is that it's so addictive that you can get lost in it for too long and horse armour DLC. Expand
  23. Oct 4, 2012
    In comparison to Morrowind, the only things that became better are those that HAD to for the next generation: graphics and gameplay. Combat is much more interesting. However, the story is dull, especially when compared to Morrowind, there are close to no hidden special quests and the like, and it doesn't feel as "free" as in Morrowind. The enemies become stronger along with you, soIn comparison to Morrowind, the only things that became better are those that HAD to for the next generation: graphics and gameplay. Combat is much more interesting. However, the story is dull, especially when compared to Morrowind, there are close to no hidden special quests and the like, and it doesn't feel as "free" as in Morrowind. The enemies become stronger along with you, so leveling up doesn't really serve a purpose. Quests are boring and repetitive. Lots of skills were abandoned, the whole game is more straightforward. Exploring caves, ruins etc. is no more fun because they are filled just with generic enemies and treasures - there is no hope you'll find anything special if you're not there for a quest. Still, it's an Elder Scrolls game and therefore worth playing, even with these downsides. Expand
  24. Oct 6, 2012
    TES IV Oblivion is one of the best game that i played ever. This game should be on the same shelf with Mass Effect, Fallout 2, Max Payne and Vice City.
  25. Dec 17, 2012
    The game is action packed, has an amazing storyline with more than enough different paths you can pick to walk, all by yourself. Oblivion has has been pulled down by many because the environment levels as you level, as in the monsters in the world become stronger as you do. I can't say that shouldn't have been different, but it didn't pull the game rating down for me, because it did notThe game is action packed, has an amazing storyline with more than enough different paths you can pick to walk, all by yourself. Oblivion has has been pulled down by many because the environment levels as you level, as in the monsters in the world become stronger as you do. I can't say that shouldn't have been different, but it didn't pull the game rating down for me, because it did not decrease the ammount of fun I had with the game. For its' time, Oblivion ruled the gaming world. Expand
  26. Feb 2, 2013
    An amazing game, fun to play, could spend 100+ hours in it and still be playing. It's even better if you bought it for PC, as there are tons of community mods for it, adding loads of new content, bug fixes, and more!
  27. Ndi
    Jun 12, 2013
    The game is great, superb graphics, well optimized, stable. But that gives it an 8.

The 9 is because of immersion. No only is the game absolutely immersive, more so than any other TES games (Skyrim included) but it's so impressive that sometimes I just stop and look around, soaking the atmosphere. Sunset by the sea, with the sun making its reflection on water orange-red, storm in the woods, with an amazing sound and the trees swaying in the wind, grass shaking and animals running for cover. This makes the game more than a walk-talk-fight game if you take the time.

And the 10 is because Oblivion is one of the most expanded and modified game ever made. Thousands of skins, bodies, armors, weapons, locations, adventure, missions, even the books have content that can be added, effects, magic, textures, SFX, sound, music, everything.

If you have the computing power, a high resolution pack makes this game a marvel even in 2013, 7 years after its release and the community keeps it fresh every day.

This game deserves its place among the titans.
  28. Jul 26, 2013
    I have played many RPG in my life and this one always remains a classic. This is leaps and bonds over the final fantasy, fables and even Morrowind. Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere was alot less enaging than in oblivion. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging.
  29. Mar 16, 2014
    Oblivion is the best game i've ever played. As the fourth entry into the Elder Scrolls series, it certainly improves over Morrowind in almost every way. It's easy to spend hundreds of hours into the game and even more with mods. The lore and quest are all interesting and unique especially the Shivering Isles DLC. Oblivion is the perfect balance between Morrowind and Skyrim and, in myOblivion is the best game i've ever played. As the fourth entry into the Elder Scrolls series, it certainly improves over Morrowind in almost every way. It's easy to spend hundreds of hours into the game and even more with mods. The lore and quest are all interesting and unique especially the Shivering Isles DLC. Oblivion is the perfect balance between Morrowind and Skyrim and, in my opinion, the strongest of the three. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2010
    Oblivion has to be played a certain way by people that can imagine themselves in the world that is the game. This can make the game very enjoyable in comparison to just making a god character that's the leader of every guild. Try to specialize and you'll have more fun. Sadly, they seem to have skipped the beta testing stage before releasing this game. On multiple occasions I've had entireOblivion has to be played a certain way by people that can imagine themselves in the world that is the game. This can make the game very enjoyable in comparison to just making a god character that's the leader of every guild. Try to specialize and you'll have more fun. Sadly, they seem to have skipped the beta testing stage before releasing this game. On multiple occasions I've had entire guild quest-lines become impossible to complete due to bugs. If this game had a coop it would be a ten without a doubt. There also seems to be little to no reward for playing on higher difficulties. Expand

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.