6.8

1. Oct 30, 2012
    Finally a DLC this year that was worth it's money! You get over 1GB of content for your buck and they even hired Laura Bailey as voice actor for this (she also voiced the female main character of Saints Row: The Third). The ending was a little abrupt, but you get some nice weapons, a great companion, a new player home, stronger dragons to fight and mesmerizing locations to visit. I giveFinally a DLC this year that was worth it's money! You get over 1GB of content for your buck and they even hired Laura Bailey as voice actor for this (she also voiced the female main character of Saints Row: The Third). The ending was a little abrupt, but you get some nice weapons, a great companion, a new player home, stronger dragons to fight and mesmerizing locations to visit. I give the full score for this. Expand
  2. Aug 7, 2012
    Dawnguard is more akin to Morrowind's Tribunal or Oblivion's Knights of the Nine than Bloodmoon or the Shivering Isles. It's very heavily story driven, focuses more on Items/Powers than locations (though It does add two rather large areas, one of which is spectacular to see), and is generally relatively linear (Though it does branch once early on). That being said, it offers far moreDawnguard is more akin to Morrowind's Tribunal or Oblivion's Knights of the Nine than Bloodmoon or the Shivering Isles. It's very heavily story driven, focuses more on Items/Powers than locations (though It does add two rather large areas, one of which is spectacular to see), and is generally relatively linear (Though it does branch once early on). That being said, it offers far more content and is much better polished than either of those expansions were. Knights of the Nine and Tribunal could both be very easily run though in under 2 hours. The vampire-side story alone took me 8 hours to complete and I wasn't bothering with any of the side content. The new weapons are powerful and well designed. The new vampire lord form is satisfyingly powerful once you get the hang of it (note - Don't use Serana as your follower as your main attack gets heavily debuffed due to a bug), and the new werewolf perks add some flavor to what was previously a very flat and uninteresting feature. To top it all off they've tweaked and improved various undocumented parts of the main story and integrated the new story-lines into it quite seamlessly. They've also improved the visual fidelity of a lot of the particle effects dealing with smoke/steam/fog and fire. For what it is, it gets a solid 9 out of 10. It's no Shivering Isles or Bloodmoon, but it wasn't meant to be. That'll be Hearthfire. Bethesda works in patterns here people. Each TES game has a smaller, story driven expansion first, and then they add the major expansion with whole new continents and worlds to explore second. Expand
  3. Aug 22, 2012
    Skyrim is a great game, and this is great DLC. Most of the Negitives so far are based on Price. I don't mind dropping 20 bones for more of this awesome game!
  4. Dec 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alright, for DLC this is going to be taken as an expansion to Skyrim. Initially, the changes are subtle. New Quests, new factions, new Skills for Vampires (Or the lord, in this case) and werewolves. All of which is not what makes this a nine in my books. Let's take vanilla Skyrim (A game which had immersion but lacked the 'OMG! PLAY MORE!' factor for me) and then add a character which made me want to side with the Vampires and explore their lore. Hell, the end was... cut short... it just needed an extra hour. Expand
  5. Aug 28, 2014
    This is a very underrated DLC. Yes, it's overpriced. Yes, it's full of bugs (or was, now it's much better). No, I don't think it deserves a perfect score, but people are bashing it too much. It's still an amazing piece of work. You have to applaud the people who really deserve recognition - the artists, writers and designers. The new dungeons are superb, top-notch environments. The mainThis is a very underrated DLC. Yes, it's overpriced. Yes, it's full of bugs (or was, now it's much better). No, I don't think it deserves a perfect score, but people are bashing it too much. It's still an amazing piece of work. You have to applaud the people who really deserve recognition - the artists, writers and designers. The new dungeons are superb, top-notch environments. The main quest is enjoyable and the new items, weapons and shouts are fun.

Overall, it's another piece of Bethesda - artwork and creativity unrivaled by any other game, but filled with bugs on release.
  6. Jan 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of the reviews on Dawnguard criticize the expansion for its price. I bought it during the 2012-2013 Steam Holiday Sale for about 6 USD, and I would say this is expansion provided the best Skyrim experience I have ever had, and this is coming from a person who did not enjoy Skyrim. The fact is that this expansion provides an excellent experience for the price I paid, with epic set-pieces and locations that were vastly superior to the locations in the base game. For example, I was amazed at Fort Dawnguard. Unlike the rest of Skyrim's pitiful little cities, castles, and forts which have 2 meter high walls that can't even be accessed, Fort Dawnguard was an actual fort with actual accessible walls at a massive scale compared to everything else in Skyrim. It was the type of architecture that I was expecting in Skyrim in the first place. The expansion also adds locations such as the Forgotten Vale and the Soul Cairn, which I had lots of fun exploring and looting. Both locations were huge, and had some beautiful scenary, such as the Inner Sanctum of the Forgotten Vale. The dungeons and other areas were also much more interesting than the boring and repetitive locations in the base game, and were a welcome change of pace and style. Not to mention the fights and enemies are much more cinematic in this expansion. The fight against the vampire snow elf for example was extremely well done, and was always something that I fought Skyrim lacked, proper boss battles with a sense of resolution and accomplishment instead of "boss" characters that immediately attack you and then just randomly drop down and die. The addition of huskies and armored trolls were great. I mean, armored trolls! The crossbows are also excellent weapons, and I loved using them throughout the Dawnguard quests.

The narrative of the Dawnguard questline is superior to the other questlines in Skyrim. Serana was a great character, and progressing through the story with her created a questline that I actually cared about, unlike all of the other boring questlines in Skyrim where I am given no motivation and almost every character is introduced briefly and then thrown away, forgotten forever after only a single quest, and never given any depth, backstory, or sense of being anything more than just a character.

I could go on, but for 6 USD, this was an excellent experience. This was the experience that Skyrim should have been, but wasn't. If anything, the original Skyrim was the game that had an unjustified price.
  7. Apr 9, 2013
    66 meta rating? That's it? This DLC is FRICKIN AWESOME! $20 bucks it's worth every penny, hell its a steal at that price. The story is awesome, the followers are 2nd to none other in the whole game. Serana, Valerica, Hell dogs, german shepards, armored trolls. Content that lasts. There are so many free mods made for Dawnguard on the steam workshop. The Castle (Upgrade with free steam66 meta rating? That's it? This DLC is FRICKIN AWESOME! $20 bucks it's worth every penny, hell its a steal at that price. The story is awesome, the followers are 2nd to none other in the whole game. Serana, Valerica, Hell dogs, german shepards, armored trolls. Content that lasts. There are so many free mods made for Dawnguard on the steam workshop. The Castle (Upgrade with free steam workshop mod's like Caslte Volkihar Redux)...

I give this mod 10 out of 10 because that is what it is. It's like a game within a game, everything you would expect from a DLC and way more. I can't udnerstand why anyone would say otherwise about this DLC. Now dragonbourne, that is a different story, I felt jyped on that one.

For me, skyrim is the ultimate game, the best made so far ever. Dawnguard just brings all that much more to the table of an already delicious feast.
  8. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I quite liked Dawnguard, it has the charms and content to make me want to play it again and again. You are thrown into a typical "Human vs Vampire" story, going up against a legion of powerful vampire lords. It's got some new features, Crossbow, Vampire Lord powers (which don't have the lethal life drain in sunlight as was in Oblivion), Skill trees for the Vampire Lord AND Werewolf forms. Now in terms of storyline, it ends up at the same ending no matter what path you choose, there is no loss of achievements (if you are an achievement hunter). You take the Dawnguard side, you end up on the same path, you take the Vampire side, you end up on the same path, and so on. I went with the vampires (for the nice powers) on my first playthrough, I sided with the Dawnguard on my second playthrough and surprise surprise, *SPOILERS* Got the power anyway.

I would say the trip into the new areas and discoveries were very enjoyable to me, the rewards were very good and it did meet the price tag, to me anyway, I don't know about all of you. The Legendary Dragon is also introduced, a nice way of saying play more and get an achievement, new level of enemy blah blah blah.

I thoroughly enjoy this, infact I might even indulge in another playthrough soon when I get the time. 9/10 from me, some complain about the price. I got it for €10, retail :P Thank you for reading my review and enjoy
  9. May 31, 2013
    I thought that this DLC was much better than the main game. I get the points about having to do a lot of running around to different places, but that was basically what skyrim was all about. The follower is interesting and is not flat like the others and you begin to develop a sense of empathy with them. There is also a unique quest location that is very well done, and presents you with aI thought that this DLC was much better than the main game. I get the points about having to do a lot of running around to different places, but that was basically what skyrim was all about. The follower is interesting and is not flat like the others and you begin to develop a sense of empathy with them. There is also a unique quest location that is very well done, and presents you with a big dilemma to get to!

Possibly not worth as a stand alone DLC unless you really liked the main game. I got it as part of a pack so the extra cost was not great and I'm glad I did as it made returning to the main quest line pretty boring.
  10. Sep 8, 2013
    Wether it's actually worth 20 dollars might be debatable, but I cen tell you this much. The Dawnguard's story is brags and bounces better than original Skyrim's. And the new, explorable area called The Forgotten Vale is my favourite experience in the game and one of the best experiences in gaming. I could go on about why, but I think it's better if you find out yourself.

Dawnguard basically adds a storyline/side quest of roughly ten hours, that introduces the Vampire Hunters regime of Skyrim, the notorious Dawnguards and a royal fraction of Vampires that could care less about this whole fuss. More of what we like, but hardly worth the 20 euros. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 10, 2012
    For the consumers of The Elder Scrolls universe this is a very good excuse to come back. For the Twilight fans this is a vivid experience of the vampirish soul. For the rest of you the game is offering the content that is not going to change your leave it or love it relationship with the original title.
  3. Sep 23, 2012
    A bunch of fun new abilities and cool places but Dawnguard is far too glitchy to justify its steep price.