8.3

1. Nov 28, 2011
    Subtract everything you hate about past elder scrolls games, add everything you love, add a better engine that does not crash on you every 10 minutes and is not a steaming pile of bugs, pretty up everything, make the faces cooler and make just about everything better and you have skyrim. This game is a masterpiece, its the game that we have been waiting for in 2011, (Most titles this year have been bad to say the least) This game would deserve a perfect 10 if not for the super lame secondary main quest which is the civil war, you can kill the final boss in one hit, I understand that level scaling is bad in most cases, but in some cases things have to be level scaled. The annoying part is, the civil war is about the length of the dragon questline! this game would get a 9.7 in my book now, thanks to that one little detail, but since metacritic forces me to round up my score, 10 it is!
    Also, if you really want to complain about the crappy interface of how you painfully select everything and how its built for a controller, do one of the two following things : get a mod, or use a controller, we all have USB ports!
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm not gunna lie, this game is amazing, brilliant, outstanding, a masterpiece. I'm only filling the rest up because i need one hundred and fifty characters.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim... This game is absolutely stunning. Run to the nearest shop at once and buy this masterpiece, your life will never be the same.
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    So i've played this game for the past 12 hours now. And i do have a good bit to say about it.
    1.) all these people **** about the intuitiveness of the controls do have a slightly valid point, the Q command on PC for switching between "favorites" does seem a bit awkward. however, it pauses the game, where before, quick swapping weapons did not. so it adds to the your available options of
    combat tricks to move around and use. the menu is also a bit messed up - it needs some fixing. i wish that it had been slightly more convenient, though most people who play PC games play on generally high sensitivities, so unless you're on an m18x like i am where the screen is bigger than it should be, it's not a problem.
    2.) the other things people have **** about is AI, and the sharpness of textures - easy, fix your contrast. and for AI, i feel like the majority of people who have so far played this game do not understand that this game is NOT about combat. this game has combat thrown in to develop your character and make it slightly more interesting. this game is about story lines, and personal choices. i don't care if it plays like minecraft, because this game wasn't meant to be BF3 or MW3 (which is both like and have played extensively)
    3. so now that all your **** has been put aside and you 0-raters have been put in your place, we'll get to why this game get's a 9 in my book. A) the story line is perfect, as it introduces a level of depth that is accessible to all players of the spectrum in their willingness to see the world in which they live
    B) the game play is fun, entertaining, unique, and i have, actually, stopped to look at mountains and rivers, as well as waterfalls and even the bodies of dragons
    C) the game went back to religion having an actual element on the gameplay like it did in morrowind, which is nice and helps you see things. it also actually shows cultural perspectives based on races like they did in morrowind, and the levels are completely designed from scratch, which is one million times better than oblivion. As far as how this game compares to other games though? I'm still at a 9, because i do not believe that any game will ever deserve to be on the level of morrowind, even if i've played tf2 and MW3 for 10-15 hrs each this week, i thought morrowind was the beginning of everything games should be, and this was continued into skyrim, though not perfected, and thusly, i give it a 9.
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    Western RPGs don't get much better than this. The amount of effort that has gone into this game is apparent. If this doesn't make game of the year I will be very surprised.
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    Summery in a few words - "The BEST Elder Scrolls to date". Even those who loved Morrowind and liked Oblivion will LOVE this one.

Though some PC specific UI would have been nice. Like implementation of hotkeys. Still the sheer number of content will surprise you....... guaranteed.
  7. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim is a Grand Soul Gem of a game filled with a Grand Soul.
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    Played this for about 4 hours without any glitches or crashes, and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself! The only complain would be about the shadows in the game. They flicker too much, but nothing that modders can't solve.
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    What a great game. Oblivion was amazing, but it had its (minimal) flaws, they've been ironed out in this iteration; I have nothing to complain about: Great story; great gameplay (who doesn't like dual-wielding spells); exceptional graphics. To be honest, I don't know how TES VI will top Skyrim.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is amazing..And better than oblivion and morrowind.
    The fun you can have in this game is very big.You can do what you want.Kill peoples,steal from someone,kill dragons,talk to someone,get into the house you want...Its pretty good.And the graphics are brilliant.So....Fun+Good graphics = Good for every player!
  11. Nov 11, 2011
    Some people seem to think that you have to use WASD or the arrow keys in the menus; you don't. The mouse can be used for everything. Other people talk about the graphics being like Fallout 3 or even Oblivion; they're not. Even on Medium, the graphics are a clear step forwards, put everything on max and you have a pretty stunning game that somehow runs smoother than past Bethesda games on the same settings. The people's faces are still a little off, a bit clumsily rendered, but are still the best unmodded faces by far you'll have seen in a Bethesda game so far.

So much as been added to the gameplay. The perks really allow you to customise your character in very specific ways, rather than simply doing more damage against creatures who can now take more damage as the game progresses. The combat still pales in comparison even to The Witcher 2, never mind an actually combat-focused game like Dark Souls, yet it is a lot more satisfying than in previous games, with enemies dropping to their knees when near death or begging for mercy.

You can take jobs now, becoming a chef, a blacksmith or a lumberjack. Enchanting and alchemy returns too. The NPC behaviour is much improved over previous games. Rather than standing dumbly around and occasionally walking into a wall or tree, as they did in Morrowind, and rather than standing dumbly around and occasionally having in incredibly stilted conversations, like they did in Oblivion, they will now do their daily jobs, cooking, cleaning, making weapons at the forge, carrying lumber back from the nearby forest, and so on. The bard at the tavern plays various songs, actually playing the instrument used in the song, and will take requests from you, even commenting on your song choice ("Only a true Imperial would choose that one!") and receiving applause from any nearby NPCs at the end of his songs. How NPCs respond to you is varies on how you've completed certain quests; one man asked me to deliver an insulting letter to a woman that he'd written in her boyfriend's handwriting, hoping she'd then leave her boyfriend for him. I told him I'd do it, but then went to the woman in question and told her all about the plan. Now her and her boyfriend like me whereas the other guy is always rude to me. Get friendly enough with people and they'll let you stay the night in their house, eat their food and even "borrow" their weapons.

All in all, an enormous step forward over previous games, and that's coming from someone who always love what Bethesda's games promised but usually ended up hating what they actually delivered.
  12. Nov 11, 2011
    first i think this game is boring and **** i was played that game some hour and now i am sure this is game of the year.this is really addictive :O
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    Im basically playing this game now for 9 hours straight... and it actually got released in my territory 9 hours ago. I refuse to believe that anyone who loves the genre would be disappointed with this game.
    On an entertainment and time per dollar scale this
    game tops EVERYTHING! Expand
  14. Nov 11, 2011
    Graphics may seems as dated at the beginning (oh man, the caves are sooo fugly), but you will discover soon what amazing work had developers put into the scenery and interiors design. And it works quite smooth on my old mid-end hardware. Annoying loot and mobs leveling seems to be fixed now, since loot is more rare and mobs are more dangerous.
    Skyrim doesn't force you to follow main story
    line as Oblivion did, and you are free to travel around from the beginning.
    Controls are somewhat limited on PC (and hotkeys are TERRIBLE), but it seems as I can cope with it.
    The game is like a Morrowind on the steroids. It's a bit more free, more open-world, less generic-medieval than Oblivion. AI is less annoying, dialogs are well-written, voice acting is terrific and everything seems much more alive.

This game is indeed a big step forward both in the terms of the gameplay and design. Long live the king!
  15. Nov 11, 2011
    Even though I haven't fought my first dragon yet, everything I have seen so far has just blown my mind. I am only playing on high settings dang dual core and a 5770 all with 4gigs of ram, I will be upgrading my PC soon I know that, just for this game. However, the high settings still look amazing, everything is crisp and visually appealing. Although I got a weird motion sickness thing going on with the opening scene. overall the graphics are great! (there are a few tears and artifacts every once and awhile but nothing that can't be fixed with a few tweaks I am sure) I am in love with the dual wielding of spells and weapons already! This is a game that you must get if you even moderately enjoyed any of the previous Elder Scrolls games. Expand
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    Easily the best game Bethesda has ever put out, wait... NO! Its the Best game anyone has ever put out!
    The greatest game i've ever played, the best RPG of all time. A world fully realized in a video game.
    SYRIM! Buy it, play it, love it.
  17. May 8, 2012
    This game is beautiful and it has soul. While I think it's not the best TES game, it surely stays true to what makes this series amazing: insanely detailed world, fantastic atmosphere, the huge open world that calls the adventurer in me to explore every corner and delve into the legends of the Nords. The art style, music and character models make Skyrim the most spectacular experience so far in terms of a living world to explore. The RPG mechanics are getting thinner (stats, skills, birthsigns, attributes) but the progression and character customization are still pretty solid in their absence and a good improvement from Oblivion. I can't wait for the expansions for this game. Expand
  18. Nov 11, 2011
    Okay, i bought it for PC because of mouse control and improved graphics. First i thought, "wow", my HD5870 is good enough but then i realized that the game looks like Oblivion without any graphic-mods and low settings. Don't get me wrong, I will play this game because its like Oblivion, but it is not the game i was waiting for. Seems like the developers are afraid of improving graphics of the pc version because consoleros would get angry. The menus are terrible too. They didn't even try to improve them for pc mouse. I have a wireless 360 controller for Windows, but i won't use it. I got it for sports and racing games. Let the patching begin.... Expand
  19. Nov 11, 2011
    if you buy one game this year make it skyrim the amount of content is worth the price. unlike most games nowadays .ive spent hours in this game already and ive barely touched the main story the side quests and random things you fine are so good you have gamer ADD on what to do next its awesome.
  20. Nov 12, 2011
    After playing for about 4 hours I realized that this game was way over hyped. After getting out of the starting zone, I killed a chicken outside in this small town. After that, I entered the house which is kind of your starting home base. A man inside attacked me because I hit the chicken (which he didn't see). I fought back and killed him, his wife and then started fighting my companion. The companion went to zero health which forced him on his knees, I kept attacking him with my sword but he wouldn't die, he then stood up with full health and kept attacking me. After realizing that this guy is immortal I had to flee the village...

A few negatives: even though the graphics look bad, my video card was still stressing and heated up to 75 degrees in certain areas. My card normally stays below 70 degrees even on much better looking games. The combat system is also a joke, doesn't feel like you're even hitting your opponents.
  21. Feb 20, 2012
    Following the bugs and issues around the launch I initially reviewed Skrim much lower. Oblivion was a 9/10 and Morrowind a 10. However, a few months on and with many problems patched out the game was improving rapidly. Then the mods came addressing all the console based limitations of the original and adding massive value to the game as a whole. For opening up the creation kit and the sheer strength of the modding community response which would not have been possible if Bethesda did not encourage it. This has gone from an ok to another classic. Expand
  22. Nov 11, 2011
    It's sad that so many people can't see past the graphics. Let's look at negative reviews, we see too many comments about how the graphics are "no better than Oblivions". If you don't mind mediocre graphics and a few awkward physics, you'll love this game. I admit, some of the controls are awkward (mainly spell switching, it becomes a pain) but the story is very well done and there's always something to do. I also noticed that people like to complain about how this is the "same game in a new box" well you clearly don't understand how to play an RPG. If you didn't know, there's a GREAT storyline in that quest log so I don't see how you don't have anything to do in the game. The gameplay is much improved from oblivion, but a lot less clunky and easier to control. I'd give this game a 9.5 out of 10, -.5 for graphics/clunky animations at times, but these issues should have no effect whatsoever on how much you like this game. Expand
  23. Nov 11, 2011
    Brace yourselves GF's, Skyrim is released! A Sandbox RPG with an interactive world full of beautiful scenery and amazing graphics, gotta be definitely a game of the year for me. What i love about Skyrim, is the "Karmatic" System like in Fallout 3. Steal corps, and the local inn will not sell you beer, and so will people in the inn reject to come and help you with battle, etc.
  24. Nov 11, 2011
    It is a very nice game. It seems to have a lot of depth and detail. But it does carry over some quirks with the AI and at least on my machine I have at the launch of the game som weird audio problems with Surround. However in general it is one of the best elder scrolls and open world games in existence.
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to begin where to begin... How about its amazing graphics, or possibly its large and expansive world, its unending game play the dungeons are large and complex complete with puzzles of various designs.The new dual-wielding system is amazing and runs flawlessly with each other. and you can get flipping married!!! Hire Mercs. Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2011
    Okay, initial impressions were actually CRAP. The menus angered me, as I refuse to accept anything resembling a console setup. My mouse and aiming lagged to high heaven... But within an hour or two I had mastered the menus (even though I agree it is still a console setup and I wish it wasn't) and thanks to the wonderful world of .Ini files, fixed all my lag! Hell I even added more shadows, and sharper details :D

This game looks beautiful. I keep looking at my screenshots, like "Wow, I was really playing that?!" The sounds make me want to crank up my surround system to hear the skeleton parts roll down the rock stairs, hear the chant as I level up...or even the bass upon startup! Side quests, and unique locations have taken 15 delightful hours of my time and I can't wait for more. (Am avoiding the main quest for now).

OH and my breezehome is fully decked out and has tons of goodies in it...despite my housecarl being dead :(
  27. Nov 11, 2011
    9/10: This game is definitely not a 10, but it is definitely not a 0 either (wtf, why must you people be like this?). Here is my honest review thus far! Skyrim is a major improvement over Oblivion. Magic and Archery got a much needed overhaul and the UI system looks much nicer. It is a great idea to be able to hotkey spells and weapons to favourites. The character animation is much improved over Oblivion, HOWEVERmelee combat still feels 'floaty' (e.g. when you cut into flesh, it doesn't 'feel' like that, it's like you're cutting at air). Furthermore there are a few bugs that kind of detract from immersion (my face disappeared, a few non-important quests bugged out and my horse is floating lolol). However, nothing of game breaking proportions. FURTHERMORE, stealing is REALLY bugged in that I can place a pot/cauldron/basket over someones head and steal ANYTHING from them. It was pretty funny to do it initially, but now it's kind of making moments where I'm asked to steal something that should be difficult quite easy! The graphics on PC are good, but not the greatest. There is quite a difference between my PC settings (maxed with minimum 60FPS) and my friend's Xbox version, however the difference isn't as marked as BF3 PC-BF3 Console. The game install size is TINY and it is amazing that Bethesda has managed to improve their engines compression rate. I have sunk so many hours into this game so far and have not even made a dent in the main story line. While you wont find high fidelity in very minute environmental details, you will find a breathtaking scenery when looking out towards a snowy mountain (oh and the weather effects are AWESOME!), or even looking out across a lake as the sun begins to set. Truly what Bethesda has created is amazing. Yet for me, the game could never be a 10, the amount of bugs, floaty combat and the decent graphics for modern PC's all detract from the score I gave it. I hope you have enjoyed reading my review. Please do not trust the words of straight out 10/10 or 0/10 reviews, the game does have some problems, but it is a VAST improvement over Oblivion in all aspects. If you must know: Yes you can be a werewolf, the Dark Brotherhood quests are awesome and you can keep performing infinite kill contracts after you finish its main story and a few other things I want to tell you but shouldn't (I don't want to spoil it)!!. If you have money to purchase 1 game this summer, AND you love sandbox RPGs, this is a great game. Also, the MASSIVE strategy guide makes for awesome toilet reading material haha, fans of the Morrowind guide book will NOT be disappointed. 9/10. Thanks guys, enjoy! Collapse
  28. Nov 11, 2011
    After waiting over a year for this game, and after playing both morrowind and oblivion, I am happy to say this is my favorite one so far. The only disappointing thing for me is that my computer cannot run skyrim on max, which is a big supprise considering I can run bf3 on ultra with no anti-aliasing. In short, If you have a pc, ps3, or xbox 360 and you don't buy this game, you are missing out on the best game of the year. Expand
  29. Nov 11, 2011
    If you buy one game this year, this is the one to get, it's the best elder scrolls yet, minus the ui, and the graphical errors, it would be perfect, but those will get patched and modded out. Bottom line BUY THIS GAME
  30. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is more like Morrowind and less like Oblivion. For all the good reasons. No other game can make you immerse yourself in itself like The Elder Scrolls V. The only fault I could even think of is the kinda clunky UI takes time to get used to if you don't use a controller. Aside from that, this game is as close to perfection as a video game can get.
  31. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm confused? Skyrim is advertised as a fantasy RPG. It has a vast world to explore, dungeons to loot, dragons to kill, bandits to beat down, trades to learn, inn's to sleep in, booze to drink, rivers to swim in, mountains to climb, weapons to fight with, spells to heal and destroy, towns to find, 300 hours of content, etc. So what did the low scoring people expect? Shoot, reload, shoot, reload, die, re-spawn??? As for the graphics ... (on ultra) are 'pinch myself' incredible when you consider what this game represents. I can see way, way off into the horizon with no fogging, people walking around, birds high in the sky, clouds realistically moving and trees swaying in the wind without the slightest lag or frame rate drop (60FPS). What other game does this??? Also, the load times leaving buildings/new areas are, at most, 3 seconds! How in the hell does Skyrim load this in so quickly? Something else I found impressive was I was walking through the bush during the night and a shadow of a bird of prey passed me. I looked up and there it was!!! Such attention to detail. I'm over and above amazed with what Blethesda have created. OK, It's not a huge leap from Oblivion or Fallout 3, but it's built upon those foundations and created the BEST of that genre. People are so hard to please these days (myself included) and when something comes along with genuine effort and thought, it becomes 'cool' to disrespect all the hard work. I salute the team behind Skyrim as they have given us (gamers) something to rejoice in. Best pre-crimbo present I could have hoped for. Thank you. Expand
  32. Nov 13, 2011
    God damn! Here's some answers for the kids: 1) Bad Graphics. Upgrade your PC (That's all really.) 2) Game is too easy. Put it on Master difficulty (Settings -> Gameplay) 3) It's Oblivion! Rather than be a dumbass and rate the game without playing(EVERY ONE IS DOING THIS HERE) Why don't you just look for the faction quests? 4) It has bugs/glitches. Well, this game is not for you. Such lammer doesn't deserve to play this masterpiece. Compare this game with the previous game you played and try to think about how complex it is. If Bethesda wanted, I am pretty sure they would make the best action game ever, because it's just too easy for them. Expand
  33. Nov 11, 2011
    Great graphics, Amazing lore, architecture and world, massively improved AI and gameplay, this Elder Scrolls just about surpasses any Elder Scrolls- in fact most RPGs I have ever set my hands on. Even still- it's better on the PC with better graphics and mods/modding tools.
    Great game if you enjoy exploration, fighting, interacting or living in a world, or hell, even story. It's truly
    among the best RPGs to date, and the best Bethesda game to date. A true masterpiece. The only real downside are the frequent bugs, but honestly there are so many plus sides to this game that I couldn't give it anything but a 10. Expand
  34. Nov 11, 2011
    Only played this for around an hour, but very good so far! Well worth the buy and if someone rated it 0 or something, they just are either blind or not playing the same game!
    Buy this one!
  35. Nov 12, 2011
    Skyrim is everything I wanted it to be... and more. This is the first AAA title that launched this year that I was actually impressed with. The character creation and leveling system has been improved, using magic doesn't feel like it's a slow-motion pause fest, and the world is truly beautiful. Every Bethesda game has problems at first--and that's acceptable for a game that has hundreds of hours of content. I'm not going to expect a bug-free experience because many other (and admittedly much shorter) games can't even get things running on launch day (BF3, Dead Island, etc).

The graphics are beautiful if you can afford to play on Ultra settings (2xGTX 560 Ti cards on my rig), but there's still a few issues with shadows indoors, which is a bit counter-intuitive considering that the outdoor spaces are huge. The graphics aren't groundbreaking (like the Crytek engine) but they'll do just fine, especially in the massive outdoor spaces.

I'll address the most common complaint: the UI sucks. It does. The menus don't work half the time unless you perfect the art of scrolling, but that's a bug that I'm sure will get fixed. The other complaints are about the standard UI, which tells you less information than Oblivion. I think it gives you a more immersive experience, so you don't have to look at health/magic/stamina unless they're being used. It allows me to spend more time focusing on the world when I'm not in battle.

Another complaint is about the voice acting and dialog. Come on guys, you can't get Patrick Stewart to voice EVERY TES game. Dialog can be a bit cheesy at times but I don't remember many games that don't have moments of cheesy dialog (in some cases it's lovable!)

Overall, Skyrim stays true to the feeling of TES series, while making vast improvements in keeping you immersed in the game. It's truly one of the few titles out there that was actually worth the wait.
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    Best Bethesda game by far. Many are complaining that it's exactly the same as oblivion and same engine as fallout, and it is with quite a few tweaks. Some could argue the EXACT same thing about Modern Warfare 3. But unlike MW3, that isn't where the game's heart lies, it's in the incredible content the game has to offer. Massive map with uncountable quests and loot, and incredibly fun activities. They may have used a slightly modified engine, but they went out of their way to deliver the best content possible. I think you can play Oblivion and have quite a similar experience, but Skyrim is the evident superior Expand
  37. Nov 11, 2011
    Take Oblivion, and combine it with Fallout 3 and BioShock. Make a new engine, let the game look gorgeous, and let the player influence the world. Then put all that on steroids, and you have Skyrim.
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    I like this type of games, I am a huge Morrowind and Oblivion fan, but after the first hours of game-play I must say that the user interface is just horrible as is the fighting and lock-picking.

I think this game has such high scores only because of its predecessors.
  39. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is absolutely amazing. I have never played a game as good as skyrim since Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, this game deserves game of the year. The brilliant gameplay and beautiful world is astonhising. This game is so smooth with the controls if your used to the keyboard and mouse, so many things to do im only 5 hours into the game and i love everything about it and its so much fun watching the NPCs talk to each other like they are real people. One of the best things about this game is dragons, seems as though they never run out and a blast to kill to collect their souls to level up your shouts. Wont be seeing the sunlight for a few months or a couple of years =D Expand
  40. Nov 13, 2011
    When I first started I wasn't sure about the changes it has compared to its predecessors. The changes to the menus, the way combat feels and the change in classes and skills.
    But after I have been playing non stop since I got my hands on it I love it. Everything works so well and it makes me feel like i'm in the game that i'm an high elf mage and that is what i love a game that can make me
    feel like i'm part of it.
    If I could only have one game this year this would be my pick, you have to pick this up or you are missing on of the best games created so far.
  41. Nov 15, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -> ~50â
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    400 hours and still playing this. Not many games nowadays gets you going after 40 hours. Sure, it's not a scripted kind of game, but in a real RPG kind of sense, this whole land of skyrim is literally your gameboard.
  43. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim will definitely be Game of the Year. Best TES Game I ever played. Also the Steelbook, map of Skyrim and the coloured Manual are awesome. Buy it!
  44. Nov 11, 2011
    Love or hate Bethesda's RPG's, you can't help but appreciate these absurdly massive sandbox worlds that they create for us to play around in. Skyrim presents a truly spectacular landscape filled with wildlife, lore, and quests. Although I've only played the game for about five hours, I can already tell that this iteration of the series will become my favorite. That said, I am a bit disappointed that they haven't improved on the user interface. Bethesda decided on a rather utilitarian and minimalist UI with a menu-driven inventory system. Therefore, I suspect that some of the first mods that people make will probably be UI mods. And although the companion system is great, I was a tiny bit disappointed to discover that you can't easily outfit your companions with the gear of your choice (either that, or I don't know how to do it). But since the main focus is your own character, the somewhat sketchy companion system actually doesn't take away from the game's enjoyment much at all. I'm having a lot of fun with my female Barbarian "Red Sonja" look-alike! Hey, I wonder if I'll run across Kalidor? :) Expand
  45. Nov 11, 2011
    I dont give this game a 10 so easily.

I was quite skeptical about this game, but I feel it deserves a ten simply because of the many improvements and overall change it's went through since oblivion. The entire theme is changed, a more interesting main quest that is much less repetitive. (Might remind you of morrowind's epic quest) Dragons are a ton of fun and don't get old so quickly,
    especially when you see them intermix with combat against other enemies. The spell system has been changed, as you can no longer make your own spells. A bit disappointing, but dragon shouts make up for this. The 'perk' system is so extensive that it literally makes me fall flat on my face and go "Oh my god what should I level up?" Leveling up is a LOT more detailed now than it has in the past. It isnt just attribute raising anymore, you're literally crafting your own character. This could be the biggest improvement within the game, and the most interesting one at that.

The Ai is improved from oblivion's AI. Many enemies are more dynamic, including the giants who, though being incredibly dangerous, only attack when provoked or approached too close. Wolf type enemies will hunt in packs, so expect there to be some team behavior going on among enemies. But the AI is not perfect, it is improved, but it could be better. While it shines in some places, in other places it's completely laughable. The graphics are definitely improved, though comparable to fallout 3's graphics. On the PC there is a huge level of detail difference, so upping that definitely provides for some interesting eye candy. And the shadows are greatly improved. But it is a console port, so we can't expect crysis 3. But to honest, they did a great job with the current tech, the game looks beautiful, though lack luster in other places... (Shoddy textures are common) But the environment looks great, the atmopshere is incredible, and it's a definite change of pace in the graphics department.

A big thing is dual wielding, and when I say dual wielding, I mean quite anything, spell one hand, weapon the other. It's very customizable, and a big big improvement for some.

The combat system itself is a bit different than oblivion's, it does require more strategy as some enemies, become quite over powering. Yes I just said that, enemies can be overpowering. The game will base enemies upon your level, but there are some enemies that will beat you to pieces in one swift hit. (The giants. *cough cough*) there are also boss battles. Yes I just said that, combat got a lot more interesting. And this isnt just including dragons.There are also finishing moves, which I find entertaining.

The dungeons, I need to say this, are vastly improved.

Almost every dungeon, and when I say almost, it's pretty damn near to 90 percent of them, are entirely unique in their own way. No more copy paste dungeons, the cookie cutter corner dungeons of oblivion are gone.

I cant say the graphics are spectacular, but consoles hold us back. But the improvements are incredible, including in the graphics. So this game, in every right, deserves the score I gave it.

Good job bethesda, you have done us well.
  46. Dec 9, 2011
    To my big dismay i have no other option than changing my previous 9 to a zero.

I was very impressed with this game until it got a mandatory update through steam. Since then the game is unplayable. Errors and performance issues( had none of these problems) Even the update 1.3 to cancel the effects of updatge 1.2 did not work. So a shame really but a well deserved zero for a game that
    does not work anymore. Expand
  47. Nov 11, 2011
    One of the best RPGs (and arguably games) I have ever played - yes there are minor (very minor problems), but it gets so much right - engrossing story/conversations, stunning visuals and environment design, epic soundtrack, fun combat system - so fun in fact, many of my friends can't decide on the combination of weapons/magic to go for.

The controls are great and the 360 controller
    integration makes it easy to sit back and relax.

A must buy!
  48. Nov 14, 2011
    The negative critics are rating the game off of **** You rate the game off of what it is and how the producers than brought that to life. It's like you're asking for a good steak from TGIF. 10/10 easy.
  49. Apr 5, 2013
    Even though the game has its drawbacks the story is quite poor, the quests often tedious and the voice acting sub par this game is still miles ahead of anything out there in terms of an open-world sandbox action RPG. Just the game world size and detail both exteriors and interiors earn this game a 10/10 in my book.
  50. Nov 11, 2011
    Holy crap!! Last night when I installed Skyrim on my beefy machine, my 4 other friends were sitting with me... It took awhile to get it started and after creating a character, (which by-the-way blew everyone's minds) we set out to explore. Within the 4 hours of playing, "Holy crap" was dropped more than a thousand times! Of course the more offensive word was used, but I figured you would figure out that yourself.

It left us all in awe... Yes, thats right. AWE... I have more than 500 games on my computer. I am not kidding. 430 on Steam alone. No other game I have has had this impact. Sure, there are some games that simply look amazing, but Skyrim takes awesome, and turns up the awe to the point of mesmerizing.

Everyone's socks were blown right off into oblivion.

On a 27" monitor with 2 GTX590's this game is worth the investment I made. Until last night, my friends thought I was nuts to upgrade so heavily. They understand now. Oh yea, they understand perfectly well why I upgraded, and now all of them want the same system to play Skyrim. If you upgraded your computer you are going to witness an amazing game. To those that have old computers, well, its going to suck being you. The low ratings here are based upon people who have old computers.

Skyrim is simply a mind-blowing visual extravaganza. Holy crap...
  51. Nov 11, 2011
    To those who claim the graphics are bad: find the settings to turn them up! It's not a challenge, mine are good. For those of you who complain that it's full of bugs: that's a problem with your setup, mine is fine, but if in doubt wait for updates, perfect games don't get released. For those of you moaning about the controls: change them. That's not difficult either, mine are good. For those of you who claim there isn't enough to do? You're either joking, or haven't worked out that pressing 'new game' brings out a whole new world to play in. Great graphics, great gameplay, tons to do. Simple. Expand
  52. Nov 11, 2011
    Brilliant, brilliant game. A few minor problems for the PC version though, in particular Weapon switching needs to be redone - its just pathetic compared to most games. But if you even just slightly liked Oblivion you will love Skyrim.
  53. Nov 13, 2011
    I really do not know where to begin. I am not putting a fan-boy '10' up, nor am I giving Skyrim a 10 over sensationalism. This game really has earned it.

Gameplay: The gameplay is more addictive than ever, and while it borrows from past Besthesda games, it still retains its own ingenuity. The combat is very violently refreshing, with very realistic 'pick-your-shot' fighting being
    logically most effective. You can rush in and swing your sword relentlessly and get the same, or you can gauge your opponents strikes and counter. There is more support now for a stealth themed character, and archery is actually an effective combat style now (as opposed to oblivion). Though at first being unable to block with two swords was very fickle, the point made of "you can't block with one arm supporting the hilt; the sword will fly right out of your hand" was quite valid. Skyrim has given me an actual adrenaline rush when fighting a bear. In my opinion, everything seems to just make sense now.

Animation: The combat stances I have seen so far are VERY practical (i.e. they borrow from actual martial arts). The hand-to-hand stance is very tight, and well guarded (hands up, stomach tucked, chin tucked). Punches are thrown just as they are in boxing; loose and relaxed, thrown with the hip and not flailing. Running looks like running, and not like you have spaghetti noodles for arms and legs (like a troll). Ditto for walking. The finishing sequences are quite brutal, and brutally well made. While still somewhat showy, they aren't overly flamboyant with spin-flip stabby things. Jumping looks like jumping. While it seems like it shouldn't be such a big deal to make a point of 'jumping looks like jumping', so many games in the past have failed where Skyrim is finally getting a grasp of what gravity might ACTUALLY do to a jump! The animations in Skyrim are a new rung in a chain of animation technology.

Graphics: Current generation graphics for sure. I am running on all ultra settings on a PC, and everything (especially the lighting) is visually impressive. If you are playing Skyrim on a 360 or PS3, you are naturally going to miss out on the best graphics Skyrim has to offer; a 256MB GPU just won't cut it. The aurora borealis in the game had me running around for 5 minutes or so just looking at the sky. THE FACES ARE AMAZING. 'Nuff said, haters gonna hate.

Sound: Some of the best quality voice acting you will find around. I feel like I'm playing the main role in an action film. There are some nuances here and there, and some of the voices sound irrelevant to the setting, but I guess it supports an immigration clause. That's all I need until sound technologically transcends into perfection.

UI: Anyone who doesn't understand the UI and argues 'it's made for retards' obviously has a mental deficit themselves. Think; if you are equipping a sword, you will naturally equip a sword to be used in the right hand on the left side. The sheath will be on the left so that you can reach across and unsheath the sword without having the struggle you would if it were on your right. Skyrim was made with logic in mind, so use it!

Cons: So far, I've seen a few bugs such as bodies floating and a random mammoth falling from the sky to its death (perhaps it was made to be?). Such is to be expected in a games release. What matters is that most of the general population can play it and there are no bugs which detract from the gameplay itself.
  54. Nov 11, 2011
    When The Witcher 2 first came out, I said that Skyrim couldn't possibly be better; well, ladies and gentlemen, I was wrong. Very,very wrong. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim takes everything you loved about the previous titles and doubles it. Where to start? Oh, how about the world itself. Remember how big Oblivion and Morrowind were; in Skyrim, you could put both worlds into this game and STILL have so much more to explore. Some say the quests and fighting is boring, but trust me, none of the quests are what they seem. There's a suprise waiting around every corner, and even finding a missing child or travelling to a village throw twists that would make M. Night Shyamlan say "Damn!" There are many games out there that just say "Do this, hero." without really giving your character any motivation at all. Well, if you want inspiration to be the strongest, toughest, smartest hero in all of Tamriel, just look up. I talk of course, about the dragons. As most of you know, your character is a dragonborn. I don't want to go into too much detail about it, but suffice it to say that the dragons are majorly pissed at you, and will sometimes attack you completely at random. Not bad enough? Sometimes you'll just be walking along with some peasants or hill giants, all of you just minding your own business, and then suddenly "BAM!" random dragon attack. These encounters are not only intense, but very rewarding. You see, each time you kill a dragon, you gain its soul. These souls are used to activate certain dragonian power words that are not only insanely powerful, but require absolutely no magika at all, just a set cooldown after each use. This also gives you plenty of inspiration to go exploring dungeons. At the end of caves or dungeons, there are a myriad of rewards. They could be an exotic weapon, a f***load of gold, or best of all, a new dragon power word to learn. So how will you go about doing all this awesome stuff? Will you sneak around like a shadowscale? Fight like a Blade? Or throw spells like a crazed Enchanter? Well, with the new dual wield and skill system, you can fight however you want. With dual wield, you can put any weapon in either hand (staff/sword, heal spell/fire spell, dual daggers, etc.) to make your own special combination. At first glance, the skill system looks almost the same, and yes, it even levels the same too, but it has been rewritten and is now far mor versatile than ever before. In fact, at the beginning, you only pick your race (the usual lot), and the rest develops along your own playstyle. The only really significant times the game ever forces you to play in one particular style is when you fight dragons, but otherwise I can't really complain too much. This brings up a few flaws in the game. First, as everyone had mentioned, the textures in the game do feel dated and rigid, and things can get a little repetitive. Though the conversations are suprisingly 3 dimensional, the NPCs still look stiff and akward when speaking. I will not mention the glitches of this game because there have been none that I've found, that do more than make you ask "WTF" for a second, and the few that still exist are probably just the result of "First Week Syndrome", so I won't take off for them. All in all, this game is a masterpiece of storytelling, action, and exploration that make the Witcher 2 look like Contra. Get this game, and you will never regret it. Expand
  55. Nov 11, 2011
    Open, grand, beautiful, rich and several other words have ebeen used to describe this game, and it is all true. A long awaited sequel, that delivers on every promise, which in it self is an achevement. Games like these are one in a billion.
  56. Nov 14, 2011
    I've only played Morrowind and Oblivion before this, and I feel as if they know what I hated about them and fixed it. I've played ~40 hours of this game and it still feels like the first day, I want more (and I usually get bored rather quickly). The game world feels dynamic and the music and sound is just fantastic. The storyline is not award-winning, but it is certainly engaging, and the best of all is it just takes you in the way a book does. I don't know how to explain that better. The graphics are more than fitting, but I really don't care about those. There are bugs, but not as many as there have been other games released lately. Nothing serious. Regarding the user interface, it's obvious it's a compromise from a game that is intended for both consoles and PC, although nothing else has been compromised. The controls feel really good and load times are a breeze. If all "console ports" were like this I'd gladly buy them. Expand
  57. Nov 11, 2011
    These people who gave Skyrim 0 / 10 are mentally retarded. If you rate the RPG game (300 hours long) after 30 mins of gaming your brains are pretty **** up. Skyrim is optimized pretty well and is much improved in comparison to Morrowind or Oblivion.
  58. Nov 11, 2011
    Has an incredible immersion level that hours fly by when you play it. It is relatively bug free. Sure the graphics might not be the absolute greatest but rate down this game based on those overlooks all the other areas it absolutely excels at. You will be able to put hour after hour into this and still find new this to do. A truly worthy epic that lives up to and exceeds the hype.
  59. Nov 11, 2011
    Great game, combat is much better than before, especially the magic system is a ton better compared to the earlier Elder Scrolls. Sounds are good so far and graphics are pretty good too. There are some minor bugs and small annoying things in the game, but nothing that cannot be fixed. I definitely recommend this game.
  60. Nov 11, 2011
    If you get past the graphics, the game is very very good, I would give it a 9.5/10. It is an intense adventure with lots of possibilities, open world, epic storyline, it has everything what I consider important in every RPG !
  61. Nov 11, 2011
    I started to play videogames 27 years ago. The RPG was my favourite type of games... In 1997 my life was chenged when i played The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time. 11 / 11 / 11 today is another most important day in my life. I playing in the BEST video game on history. SKYRIM, is awesome. 100% recomended. If you have Windows updated, and "normal" graphics card with updated drivers... don't read bad opinions, this game is on of the best game in the history.... [10/10] Expand
  62. Mar 7, 2012
    Wonderful stuff, games like this only come along every so often (and when they do, the Bethesda logo isn't very far away). Excellently crafted from top to bottom, looks amazing, sound is outstanding, it's very easy to lose lots and lots of time playing Skyrim. At time of writing I logged 107 hours on Steam and I'm not done yet. I can't fault the game really, only complaints are the familiar 'Bethesda bug' where the game crashes to desktop randomly and inexplicably, however that stopped after the 20-30 hour mark which I guess was fixed by a patch applied by the Steam client. An essential game for sure. Expand
  63. Mar 26, 2012
    Absolutely the best RPG in terms of technical achievement to date. Don't mind the haters - notice how on all the best YouTube videos, there are always a couple hundred dislikes? Those are the same morons who give Skyrim a bad review.
  64. Nov 11, 2011
    Playing Skyrim, it is plainly obvious that Bethesda has learned a great deal from their past games, including Fallout 3. And it is also clear that this game had a substantially larger budget than any of their previous efforts. You can tell this by the tremendous amount of voice actors that were hired, the graphics engine which, miraculously, looks leaps and bounds better than Fallout 3 despite being designed for the same old console hardware, and the gargantuan world size and detail packed into it. Truly, Bethesda wanted to create something special, and they have succeeded.

The combat and animations, long the series' weakest points, are improved, much to the relief of all its fans. Melee is still not as visceral and satisfying as some recent titles, nor as challenging, but it is more than sufficient. Archery is vastly improved, as is magic, making pure archers and mages more enjoyable. The finishing moves add to the excitement without getting tiresome, because they are not activated for every single kill.

The world of Skyrim is positively gorgeous. You will marvel at misty mountains, blizzards, streams and lakes, large and well-populated cities and beautiful flora. Every object casts a shadow, which admittedly are a little blocky even on ultra settings, but it is a small price to pay seeing as they are fully dynamic and abundant given the game's open nature. The audio too is very satisfying; Jeremy Soule's score is awe-inspiring, and the ambient and combat sounds are extremely pleasant.

The most common complaints on the PC platform are a lack of graphical fidelity and performance on the highest settings, and the user interface. Indeed, there are some technical issues present, and performance is underwhelming on many capable machines, but I am certain they will be rectified in due course. The Creation engine is after all a mostly rewritten Gamebryo, so this was to be expected in a new engine (which however is no excuse). As for the interface, I found it a joy to be able to control most menus with the keyboard ('WASD' is used in place of the thumb stick), which is much, much faster than using a slow and cumbersome mouse. There are some cases where you still have to click with the mouse, which is a bit inconsistent, but thankfully these are few and far between. As an example, if you press 'T' to rest, you no longer have to click on the tiny bar and drag it to the right, then click on rest. You can simply press your strafe right key to increment the hours, and then press 'E' to rest. So much quicker and convenient, and you never have to take your hand off the 'WASD' area.

In conclusion, if you enjoyed Bethesda's past games, you will undoubtedly place this game on a pedestal.
  65. Nov 11, 2011
    Have only played the first 20 minutes or so but so far the game is looking great, some people have commented about the graphics however this game isnt like COD, the world is HUGE and the game would take up way to much space on the hard drive if the graphics were to improve anymore. Can't wait to get back on it.
  66. Apr 3, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    A very good open-world free roam game allowing players to switch between 3rd Person as well as First Person. The story really engages you in a story plot that makes you feel like a real role-playing person. With nice visuals and movement, one thing i didn't like was the fact that one is unable to fast-travel without crossing a "certain" area before unlocking
    the destination for fast-travel. Therefore, a lot of walking is done in the earlier missions.
    For a year 2011 game, this has really done a good job and it is recommended for players who enjoy RPGs. (Role Playing Games)

As for the DLCs, there is currently quite some of it, and well worth the price if you liked the game. But i personally doesn't have that much of a patience to complete the whole game, as well as the time needed.

Lastly, don't forget that not many games have "endless" replay-a-bility after completing it. Skyrim provides at least a few hundred hours worth of gameplay and missions, enough to keep you engaged for a really long time if you are really liking the game of course.

9.5/10
  67. Nov 15, 2011
    I have a modern day gaming machine and this game runs like crap, i can max out games like BF3 without any problems yet this game even on low my fps drops below 30. The visuals are ugly, even on max they look like someone smeared crap all over the objects. Skyrim is a unoptimized cheap console port, do no buy it.
  68. Nov 11, 2011
    i apologize but i will keep this short very short

BUY THE GAME... period it is not as beautiful as witcher 2 but hell is it HUGEEEEE and the world immersion is parallel to no no game out there now
  69. Nov 11, 2011
    For the gameplay alone I'd say this is a leap forward. We haven't seen this mix-and-match system outside of Bioshock games and Clive Barker's Undying, and it really deserves more time in the sun. ...but its the detail of the world that sucks you in, I just spent 3 hours scouring mines for ore and making armors, sometimes picking flowers and catching butterflies for alchemy on the way... I can't remember having this much fun with the 'little things' in an RPG for a very long time. Its hard to express the feeling when a game lives up to all the expectations you've put on it. I am awed at this game. Sure, there are some flaws on the PC version with controls and the UI, but the patches are forthcoming in a day or two. I haven't even started any real questline and its already obvious that this will suck 100s of hours of my time. Well done Bethesda. 10/10, and I don't give that score lightly. Expand
  70. Nov 11, 2011
    This game has some obvious flaws. The UI that really only works well with a gamepad is the most glaring one. You can find blurry textures if you look for them, and I've no doubt you can find a number of other glitches if you try. My recommendation is that you don't look for errors, and instead enjoy the awesome experience this game has to offer. Skyrim can pull you in as easily as any TES game, you can do a lot more than in previous titles, and its scenery is a lot more imaginative and detailed than Oblivion's. Expand
  71. Nov 11, 2011
    Stewker
    Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is the kind of game that really stands out. The attention to detail is mind blowing. People will be playing this for game for months. On the PC load times are nearly nonexistent, I have yet to have had the chance to really read or admire the load screens, which is both a good and bad thing as they are interactive and have lore bits. The graphics on ultra
    running at 1920x1080 are flooring. This is truly a HUGE jump over Oblivion in regard to visual fidelity. Now granted I do have a NASA supercomputer for PC, well just about, but still... If you think the game looks no better than Oblivion, seriously, no joke I'm concerned for you, as you are blind but don't know it yet. Don't drive. Anyways, melee combat is also vastly improved and solid feeling, magic has a definite weight to it in Skyrim. Finally the amount of content... Like I said weeks of game play and huge re-playability. Quests, yes lot's of quests but all of the things on the side that you have in this game as well is truly mind blowing. I took a week off for this game and I know, after playing it for 12 hours now, that I won't be able to do everything I want to even if I played 18 hours a day, no way. The level up process is awesome as well. Love the perk system, when people think perks most think of Fallout 3, but the perk system in Skyrim is very much unique to itself. I was afraid they were dumbing down the level system but all they did is streamline it and give the user freedom to play exactly how they want to play, while keeping the core mechanic of leveling by what you do and adding in perks. I love that. If I had to choose one game to have the rest of my life and only one, it would be The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Expand
  72. Nov 11, 2011
    One of the most rich and entertaining RPG games of all time. Period. Third person combat is greatly improved as well as first person. There are minor tweaks that could be made to each, but the content more than makes up for it. As a mobile app developer, I only wish I could be part of something this incredible.
  73. Nov 11, 2011
    The people giving a 0 are really idiots they don't like the changing of weapons?? Lets give the game a 0!!
    they don't like the moving animation. Lets give it a 0 This game has some flaws and glitchs/bugs but it's REALEASED today. Most if not all will be fixed really calm down and stop giving such stupid reviews like
    Horse's are stupid 0
  74. Nov 11, 2011
    Two very simple reasons you must get this game:
    1.Developed by Bethesda Game Studios. 2.Epic release date(11/11/11).
  75. Dec 3, 2011
    People just **** about things that aren't perfect. Well, welcome to the gaming industry and life. Nothing's perfect, but this is not, I repeat NOT an expansion to Oblivion. There IS actually a lot more and exciting content. But please, if you don't like it go back to your repetitive Call of Duty. If you didn't notice the better graphics then I suggest you upgrade your video card. Other than that, Quotation forthcoming. Expand
  76. Nov 11, 2011
    Same engine like they use on Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I dont care about this, graphics looks nice. Many locations, wpns, spells and great character customization. Good story (3 hours game time). Gameplay is really great, especially if you got spells in one hand and wpns in other one. Thats really fun. But what is the mind-blowing in Skyrim? I have to say that is a atmosphere. I didn't like Fallout 3 much, but there was this kind of catching atmosphere too. If you are in open world and just exploring land or when you find some dark cave and spend one hour there just with torch and one-hand sword. That's great. I want to give it 10, but i can't. Simply because it's a port of console and controls are not so good. You can "favorite" wpns/spells so you can quickly change them, but you can't just bind them to 1,2,3 etc. Last think - menu and abilities management is not "transparent", for me it is a little bit confusing. But that's just it, after all i really like this game and looking forward to see more. Expand
  77. Nov 11, 2011
    Almost perfect free world (for this generation) even "consoliced"(certainly so much near perfection if not), but JUST THING IN THE MODS!!! You buy it, and you play the most complete game ever, finding new things to do or areas to explore even in the hundredth hour, or your tenth character.
  78. Nov 11, 2011
    This is one of the best sandbox games I have ever played. Right from the start they give you the option of playing as any type of character you want without it feeling like they are holding your hand. Although it didn't have quite the same feeling as Oblivion when you first walk into the light, it doesn't take long before you are stopping to just look around. Although not all of the textures are ground breaking they are combined to look like a living breathing world. The facial animations have improved greatly, and the voice overs have as well. When it comes to character creation I wasn't a big fan of the look of the elves but the other races look amazing (this is a personal preferance and not an issue with detail).

The fighting has improved alot since oblivion but still can't compare to witcher 2 or some others that are out there. I think this is due to the fact though that there are so many differant ways that you can fight they couldn't focus on just one. The menu system has gotten a huge overhaul and I like the way it is set up. The quick select option is great and doesn't require you to scroll through all the menus every time to choose a differant spell or menu.

Of course there is an issue with some bugs, but this to be a common issue with Bethesda sandboxes. While playing for about 10 hours there was 1 time the game just closed on me. This didn't hurt me too bad as it saves quite often. There are other minor glitches but none that really detract from the game. Although this isn't a perfect game it is alot closer than I thought was possible. This takes takes the RPG to a level that we have never seen before, and I know this will be taking hundreds of hours away from my free time.
  79. Nov 26, 2011
    This game is amazing. I am almost 30 hours in and feel like I just started the game. Around every corner is something a little more exciting.
  80. Dec 3, 2011
    I have been playing RPG games since the dawn of time and Elder Scrolls IMHO has always been the best FP RPG by a clear mile. This is an excellent follow on from the superb Oblivion. The graphics are beautiful, the geography stunning and the main plot interesting, drawing on what we all ready know about the Elder Scrolls universe. The lack of real character classes, with players choosing development via their actions is excellent. I personally miss all the scores for intelligence etc, but its a minor point as the simplified perks and magicka, health, stamina model works well. The game is not perfect however, with your actions in the war not really changing people demeanor towards you. The theft system is also flawed, as it was in Oblivion, with some objects just being there for the taking. Say hi to the leader of the town, rob him blind, hang out for a little with his trinkets in your pockets, no one notices or cares. Especially weird if your publicly a paid up member of his worst enemy. No problem in Skyrim for some reason. IMHO however the game is an RPG, so you have to have a little imagination, and if you have its an excellent experience. My main gripe is that there seems to be less variety of content (clothes etc) than in Oblivion - I am guessing this is due to the game being primarily developed for console. I await some clothes mods from the community. I would have so much respect for a company that did not dumb down games on PC - come on guys, PC's should be the pinnacle, with reduced content for the consoles, don't set the bar at the lowest possible denominator. Expand
  81. Nov 11, 2011
    Cant believe some idiots here are rating this a 0...that's just so pathetic and shows their mentality...sure this game has a few pc issues (dont most console ports today!) but this game is just amazing...most textures i see are really well done and teh whole atmosphere of this game is awesome..with beautiful scenery, buildings, caves and cavers etc etc etc..its all jaw dropping stuff!....yes some super HD textures would of been nice and maybe dx10-11 support but i doubt that would have added much to this already top RPG...i give it 9 out of 10 but am clicking on the 10 to try and offset the dickheads who gave it 0...the muppets are like spoilt children crying over minor issues like spoilt brats they are! Expand
  82. Nov 20, 2011
    Catching butterflies, diving after fish, hunting deer in the wilderness. And the athmosphere. The wind, the weather. The noises, the colors. The smoothness of movement. Nobody best BETHESDA!
  83. Nov 19, 2011
    Do im 55 hours into the game. I have played a Thief/Assassin type character and a warrior character, both feel like 2 different games. Honestly I have not be addicted to a game like this ever before. This is GOTY for me. I am lost in the exploration of Skyrim, and around every corner is something new and unique to discover. This is a true PC game. From the amount of gameplay to the fun factor of modding and tweaking the game to make it more of your own. 10/10 Expand
  84. Nov 12, 2011
    I've played over 20 hours, and this game meets or far exceeds my expectations. Especially with respect to how greatly optimized the engine is, which is something they hardly spoke about. I expected to have to run the game in medium settings since I'm a fair way below recommended; but I can run it in high with no slowdowns, and the clip range is further than any game I've ever played before. The difference in quality between this and recent Bioware offerings hammers home that corporations can't make good RPG's; and that Bethesda Game Studios is peerless in the crafting of single player RPGs. Expand
  85. Nov 11, 2011
    First of all let me say the game isn't perfect. While the graphics are a massive step up from Oblivion, don't be expecting Crysis 2 standard. Still - the game looks beautiful and has lots of detail. The gameplay is what the ES series is all about, and it is fantastic. I don't need to go into detail here, but bethesda have learnt from their mistakes in TES3/4 and this iteration of the series is brilliant. The one thing I am slightly annoyed about is the menus for the PC, but in all honesty, will just take a bit of getting used to. Expand
  86. Nov 11, 2011
    What a great game I have nothing to complain about: Great story; great gameplay .
    This game is absolutely stunning.... Every negative point I could think of (maybe one or two graphical disappointments) get totally out weight by so many positive aspects!
  87. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is one of the best games ever made. And deserves nothing lower than a 10 out of 10. Everything about it is just great. That's about it. Dawgs.
  88. Nov 12, 2011
    Now this a great, great game. Do not listen to the negative words until you have played for at least 10 hours and not just visit the first hold. there are nine holds and most naysayers have been in only one
  89. Nov 12, 2011
    Skyrim is an incredible game. It offers millions of choices in what you want to do, who you want your character to be, and where you want to go. Ive happily spent my first 5 hours breaking into many npc houses and stealing all their ware's. And ive been able to level up on just sneaking, lockpicking, and pick pocketing alone. It is very similar to oblivion in the sense that you get better at what you want to do by doing it. You feel very in control of your character's strengths and weaknesses. No choosing a spec, if you want to be better at archery, then shoot some arrows at stuff. I have no problem whatsoever with the games visuals. Not quite witcher 2 but they look far better than oblivion did . Sure if i zoom in all the way i can see the textures are lowish. but as i move through the world the entire environment the grass, trees mountains and mist. the overall world is the most imersive and believable gaming world i have ever seen and runs at a steady 60fps. Skyrim was not a game i was really that excited for but it quickly became one of my favorite games ever. Expand
  90. Nov 12, 2011
    Just a beautiful, much more polished game than Oblivion. A joy to play that gives the feeling of great freedom. Really makes you want to explore everything and all the character possiblities. Magic is much more entertaining and appealing now. Thanks Bethesda for creating a timeless game once again. I can´t imagine how good it is going to be once the modders start doing their thing.
  91. Nov 12, 2011
    Game plays well. Combat feels solid. A few minor animation glitches here and there but does nothing to harm the experience followers of the series have come to expect. The visuals are stunning and if you are playing on PC and have a high powered machine they are even better. The audio is well done and the voice acting is better than it was in Oblivion. The main storyline is engaging and there are a lot of side quests to do. Just like the previous entries in the series, Skyrim is more than a game, it is an immersive experience. It is impressive and the best game of its ilk since Oblivion. Expand
  92. Nov 17, 2011
    Considering this game is a console port, i feel visually it was more than adequate to give you the sense of scale and beauty Bethesda have clearly worked very hard on in Skyrim. its never going to win graphics awards for its character models and imperfect field of view loading distances, but even after playing bf3 this month, at no time did i ever think less of this game based on its visuals. the sheer scale of content visible, the impressive arctic landscape and beautiful skies more than make up for any imperfections down on an individual scale. The story telling is rich and holds lots of depth, i found quests stacked up very very fast almost to the point of confusion, but i'm holding this totally down to my want of exploring every area of the landscape before moving on rather than zig-zagging around Skyrim. the quests are mixed, ranging from the tedious collection of boring items to complex and skilled assassination or theft quests that almost make u reload and try them again from a different angle whether u complete them or not. the variety of voices is much improved from oblivion and tho not perfect as most of the guards speak the same and a even a few main characters share the same voice/accent i feel based on the sheer scale of different npc in this game they have added enough variety to be reasonable. With all RPG games there is a balance between stats level and player skill when it comes to combat. WOW has it based very heavily on the stats u have worked up rather than any players skill with a mouse and keyboard. elder scrolls have added in a requirement for a lot of mouse controlled skill. meaning u do at least stand a chance against an enemy who dwarfs you on stats. in skyrim this is no different although i never really noticed any change in damage based on the location you hit an enemy other than in the front or in the back. this was most apparant with bows, as aiming for a harder headshot didnt seem to reward you over hitting the enemy in the torso, even if they where wearing armour but had their head uncovered. however a hit with an arrow through the face was always satisfying, even if that character then proceeded to chase you down the mountain side with it handing from their cheek. Using melee weapons nearly always became a hack n slash affair unless you were in sneak and managed to get some very satisfying throat slit one hit kills. i do feel on the whole it could be greatly improved to benefit players skill with the improved stats helping you along, rather than weapon and armor stats being loosely aimed via mouse at the creature u wanted to try and kill.

visual and game play bugs were always going to be an issue with a game made up of so much varied content. this said, other than a few flashy green screens in the odd dungeon for a few seconds, ive not found a glitch yet that hindered my game play. Having bottles and plates randomly fly across the room and no npc characters bat an eyelid at it has its comic value, equaly does a mammoth being blasted 500 foot into the air or a bandit still telling you how "you will never leave skyrim alive", right in the middle of HIS death animation. these things only add to the smile on my face while playing this game. worse issue in the game by far is the horses, they help with nothing, the minor speed boost to travel around isnt worth the effort of paying 1000gold considering once u have found somewhere u can fast travel, so u would only be on the horse if u were exploring for the first time, in which case your going to be getting on and off talking to people or attacking baddies. and when u do find something that wants to eat ur face the horse turns into Braveheart and runs off at it, unless its a rabbit it normal gets itself killed and ur left with a horse pelt u paid a grand for!

in conclusion, an awesomely visual and depthy game that gives you something to do for weeks and weeks. a few annoyances some may have with bugs are to be expected soon after launch and with a reasonable combat system, but one that sadly that lacks any real skill and has a horrible/lengthy weapon change system. the annoyances are more than made up for by the world and story in which you can immerse yourself
  93. Nov 19, 2011
    Magnificent. Beautiful vistas, diverse towns, an abundance of stories to be found wherever you go. Storytelling in both main and side quests is engaging, and I have yet to meet a named quest that relied purely on the simple formulas of kill-ten-rats, escort, bounty, or fetch. Strong player choice is a guiding principle of design, and nearly any classic archetype can find their home, even guild, in this world. Scummy towns feel scummy, prosperous towns feel clean and sturdily built. Voice acting, music, and sound design generally are pleasing; visual art direction everywhere is superb, with culture imbued in every object you find, and wonderfully varied landscapes. Dungeons are, so far, distinct places, often featuring traps, puzzles, and environmental hazards to be used against enemies; nameless enemies can sometimes be overheard discussing obstacles that you later encounter. Killing dragons is fun and useful and never resented, but pales in comparison to the many other things you could be doing. _ _ _ _ _

The bad? Stealth AI could use some work; sleeping NPCs should almost never be able to detect sneaking players, and there are a few times when NPCs should respond more intelligently (or less) than they actually do (an arrow from the dark should never be explained away as "I'm just hearing things"). Smithing could be expanded more than it is. Some traveling companions have Leeroy Jenkins-like overconfidence that makes fighting beside them a struggle in dungeons; fortunately, they're almost entirely optional. Minor bugs - mostly oddities in the collision system - will bother some players; stability is quite good but not perfect. Worst from my perspective, the UI has poor sensitivity to mouse location; I've struggled to click on the conversation topic I really wanted. _ _ _ _ _

For a player like me, however - first and foremost an explorer, a consumer of stories who narrates every action with the motives behind it, someone who sneaks past sleeping dragons to see if it is possible - this game's flaws are irrelevant, and since this review is for PC, mods will fix them anyways. This is one of the best, the biggest, the richest games I have ever encountered, and I love it to pieces.
  94. Dec 15, 2011
    Very, very good game. Many people complain about the bugs, and it's understandable, but hey, it's huge game, with alot of work behind, sometimes errors slip through. Another thing is that many people have complained about hotkeys, many think there aren't any, but there is, you just have to assign them, that's not so tough is it? as far as gameplay, yes, it is like oblivion and fallout, but what can you do, this is rpg, it is supposed to be like this. It is a beautiful game, with a great story, many side quests, and generally it provides many hours of worthy gameplay, 'nough said. Expand
  95. Nov 12, 2011
    I don't understand people giving this game a bad score. I can't see the horrible graphics they're talking about. Others thinks that this too much like the old games. Yes, in some ways, but how could you call this an Elder Scrolls game if they removed all the things that makes this an Elder Scrolls game? I saw someone wrote "same old 10-years old song" and gave it 4/10, of course! it's the Elder Scrolls theme song! -.- Bethesda really did a great job this time. It fells like playing the good old game again, love it :) Expand
  96. Nov 11, 2011
    Epic, fantastic, incredible, amazing, insane, huge, beautiful, wicked, gigantic, stunning, superb, mindblowing, lifechanging fantasy game. The best thing since oblivion
  97. Dec 5, 2011
    66 hours played and there's still a mind boggling amount to do, this game has content, graphics and sound all AAA standard. If you like rpg's this is your game. Bethesda has created a huge open world chock full of quests and dungeons to explore populated with npc's that go about there daily lives reacting to the players achievements in game. I really can't recommend skyrim enough, run don't walk to your nearest game shop or steam and buy this game. Expand
  98. Nov 14, 2011
    Wow! This is really what I was hoping for. Great game. Excellent story with interesting characters. A significant improvement over Oblivion. You can also see that it pays off to not fall into a yearly schedule like Dragon Age.
  99. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing game. It is a console port right outta the box, but a great port at that. I played for 5 hous last night without even knowing it, and every second of the game was absolutely glorious.
  100. Nov 11, 2011
    Played the game for four hours, release night and I was blown away. The graphics of Skyrim are beautiful and Vibrant, well not the best looking PC game it could have been Bethesda did a great job none the less. The story is looking interesting and the world is just huge with so much to do. During my play through I've only experience one CTD in four hours making this the most stable Bethesda game release I've played. Despite how amazing of an RPG I think Skyrim is it still has its share of problems. It's no secret that for the first time Bethesda has made an Elder Scrolls game with console as its main focus of the games development. Put simply the've might have "simplified" Skyrim a little to much. The interface has been dumb down to a very simple items menu that lacks any RPG feel and sorting options. Bethesda has chosen to ignore the number keys and can't switch weapons/spells on the go instead having to pause the game and go into the menu breaking the immersion. Well not game breaking changes these are still annoyances that bother me and unfortunately I'm sure to find more of these. Expand
  101. Nov 11, 2011