8.1

1. Nov 14, 2011
    Loved Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3. I find Skyrim to be more of the same. Some people will like that. Clearly a huge effort has been spent in creating the beautiful world to explore and the storyline, but the game really falls down in gameplay mechanics, which have barely changed and are as clunky as ever. Melee combat is unacceptably bad (c'mon now folks). I fail to see how characterLoved Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3. I find Skyrim to be more of the same. Some people will like that. Clearly a huge effort has been spent in creating the beautiful world to explore and the storyline, but the game really falls down in gameplay mechanics, which have barely changed and are as clunky as ever. Melee combat is unacceptably bad (c'mon now folks). I fail to see how character interaction has changed - they hype suggested that this would be an area for improvement but the characters are still as dumb as ever. I went for the PC version because of the amazing modding community. It runs fine for me on highest quality, but I took it down a to medium to prevent my GPU from frying. It still looks good and plays even smoother. Yes there are noticeable and annoying glitches - YMMV.

Based on the commercial release, the quality control team should be fired. I enjoyed the20+ hours I spent in skyrim, but it has now become extremely tedious and I have no desire to invest more of my time there.

Shame that so many people blithely give a 0 or 10. It's not that bad, neither is it that good. Users should try to be more objective with their reviews otherwise companies like Bethesda will not feel compelled to make the necessary improvements to gameplay. In this day and age, gamers should be more demanding. That's how we progress.

The gaming press has been bought.
  2. Feb 1, 2012
    This game is highly over-rated. Most suitable comparison would be saying that this game industry's Avatar (film). Impressive graphically at first, but once you see it clearly, it has a boring story, full of clichés and overall, not interesting enough. It has a great amount of items and weapons, but you won't need 80% of them because most of them are just useless. Quest becomeThis game is highly over-rated. Most suitable comparison would be saying that this game industry's Avatar (film). Impressive graphically at first, but once you see it clearly, it has a boring story, full of clichés and overall, not interesting enough. It has a great amount of items and weapons, but you won't need 80% of them because most of them are just useless. Quest become way too repetitive quickly, specially because most of them are just a copy & paste with different names and places, and besides, some skills make them too easy to complete. Main story itself isn't very interesting or original, and the fact that some side-quests may delay your progress in the main-quest makes it quite annoying. Enemies are poorly designed and there isn't enough variety of them for such a huge world. It may give you a few hours of entertainment, but unless for some strange reason you are like addicted to it, it will be hard for you to go further than 50% of the game, because by then you have noticed how repetitive it is. If you manage to complete 100% of the main quest, you won't really get a real reason to complete side-quests left, and that if you didn't accidentally ruined them by killing someone or doing something you shouldn't. The good: It has quite nice graphics, a huge world to explore and, if for some reason you actually like this game, you have a huge amount of things to do. The bad: Way too bugged (PC version got some of them solved by FANS even before they were officially solved), repetitive as hell, after main-quest is completed you have no real reason to keep playing, too many useless quests and items. Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    Awesome. I have noticed few bugs or crashes for this stable game. For those that forgot all pc games have minor bugs I'm sorry you forgot. I haven't even seen a minor bug yet anyway... oh yeah an NPC bumped into a wall for a second. OMG THE GAME IS BROKEN!!! nah It's super stable. And a dream to play. The controls are simple and you can be any character you want by equiping whateverAwesome. I have noticed few bugs or crashes for this stable game. For those that forgot all pc games have minor bugs I'm sorry you forgot. I haven't even seen a minor bug yet anyway... oh yeah an NPC bumped into a wall for a second. OMG THE GAME IS BROKEN!!! nah It's super stable. And a dream to play. The controls are simple and you can be any character you want by equiping whatever you want. Oh and for the people that think this is impossible and clunky it's called the "favorite" function of the game where you can fast equip spells, bows, swords, etc. This game is a dream and everything I have been dreaming a game would be for the past 10 years. Finally a game worth a perfect score. Expand
  4. Nov 17, 2011
    Very hyped up, but left something to be desired for. I think both oblivion and Morrowind were better (except the graphics, obviously) because they were more complex. This game is huge, mind you, but a lot of the environment is bland, the plot is short and bland, and the controls are horrid.
  5. Nov 26, 2011
    An awesome game for the first few hours. World of Skyrim is big and nicely detailed. And pretty much everything is highly improved compared to previous series of Elder Scrolls. But after those few hours of gameplay you'll start to realise that all this awesomeness, all this freedom Skyrim gives you, is nothing but illusion. While game allows player to do what he want and when he want, anyAn awesome game for the first few hours. World of Skyrim is big and nicely detailed. And pretty much everything is highly improved compared to previous series of Elder Scrolls. But after those few hours of gameplay you'll start to realise that all this awesomeness, all this freedom Skyrim gives you, is nothing but illusion. While game allows player to do what he want and when he want, any "not-by-script" actions will break the game at some point, making it impossible to proceed with storyline without console shamanism. Quests have a lot of obviously stupid algorithmic errors, and do not take player's possible misbehaviour in account. It's like they were written by random people, who never seen each other, not to say talked about each others quests conflicting with each other. Bethesda absolutely should spend some of that money on hiring a beta-tester team.

There's a lot of "generic" quests, that tells you to kill/steal/buttkick something and go back for crappy sum of 100-300 coins. Those "Infinite quests" is nothing more but a lame "MMORPG-style grinding". The story itself is straightforward, onesided and utterly stupid. For example, if there is a war between two groups, and you happen to join one of them, the other side will hate you, and try to kill you should opportunity arise. But they do not! You can easily come to enemy's headquarters, put buckets on everyone's heads, steal everything, shout on everyone, ask "How's the war, dude? Does my actions screw your life much, eh?", and easily waltz outside like nothing happened. The multiple choices player makes does affect almost nothing. And sometimes those illusional choices are not even given (I don't want to kill anyone for that stupid Boethiah, but there is no option to buttkick her back to oblivion).

But the worst of them all is one strong feeling that gets stronger with each quest done: the land of Skyrim consists only of dumb and lazy people. Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing happens without players involvement. Everything that is done in Skyrim - is done by player. From the moment you are given controls at Helgen, till the moment quit the game - nothing is happening here. Well wolfs do run after deers in woods, kill them and leave all that meat to rot. Necromancers sometimes kick bandit's butts if they meet them around you. And number of thieves die by the hands of local guards every night at Riften. Dragons sometimes attack guards, while completely ignoring anyone else. But that's all. There's WAR going on, but noone does sh*t! Why? This game have a time. Why not use it?

It's not a surprise the AI's dumb. They do fight all right (looks ugly still). But when in peace-mode... I wonder if all Skyrim NPC's are actually lonely, despite living in cities full of same stupid NPCs. I mean everyone do talk to you as you pass by. And even if you just stand there, not looking at them, they talk to your back. There is a quest turn-point and some smart explanations are done by "immortal" VIP-NPC, but some old beggar-dude cuts in and asks for a coin, while completly muffing out the quest-NPCs speech. Sometimes there are even like 5 NPC's talking together. So ronery... And I won't talk about the aspects of path-finding, "follow-me" states, quest-scenes and other script-based AI stuff that always have at least a 20% chance of failing, what almost always leads to a game-breaking end.

There is also a lot of other minor bugs, like shifted object spawn locations, mannequin's infinitely spawning armor pieces, lot's of places where player can completly stuck without "tcl", screwed animations, out-of-place effects, like paralysis that happens on enemy's death, or sneak-perk's brief-invisibility that can screw the nightingale powers, NPC's that spawn being half underground and a pack of other dumb stuff I can't remember right now. Come on, guys! Just play your own game once. It's not so hard to spot at least a half of those bugs in just a few hours of gameplay.

I hear Elder's Scrolls series always had a habit of being released half-cooked, so the real score should be given only after the grand-patch will come out. But this time the amount of bugs is so big, I'm afraid not even this patch will deal with them all. So here's 10 for making big beautiful and detailed world, -3 for a 20% chance of any quest failing and making the game unplayable anymore, -1 for the gameplay balance which is simply absent after you max out few skills, and -2 for somewhat lame storyline and a bunch of lonely, lazy and utterly dumb NPCs, that swarm the land of Skyrim. That makes 4, which is bad, 'cause making a nice console-textured world with good weather effects is not enough for a good game. Let's hope the incoming patch will actually make this game worth it's price.
  6. Feb 25, 2012
    Game as any other Bethesda game.
    If you played Oblivion and Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, then you've seen it all. This is the same game with different theme. Been there, done that, that's it. I got bored after playing 8h of it, it's too repetitive. After playing Witcher 2 this game looks and plays like crap.
  7. Jan 2, 2013
    The game features nice graphics, good sound, bad gameplay and very good longevity. When you play this game, you will get bored very soon: the gameplay doesn't have a point, a competition. You just play it for relaxing. You go and get some special object, but the game isn't competitive. It doesn't have a point. Very extended world, good graphics, but poor performance, and the game is fullThe game features nice graphics, good sound, bad gameplay and very good longevity. When you play this game, you will get bored very soon: the gameplay doesn't have a point, a competition. You just play it for relaxing. You go and get some special object, but the game isn't competitive. It doesn't have a point. Very extended world, good graphics, but poor performance, and the game is full of bugs. Good plot. Gameplay 2/10 Graphics/Performance 2/10 Plot 5/10 Longevity 6.25/10 Average: 3.81 OVERALL SCORE: 3/10 (not an average) Expand
  8. Nov 12, 2011
    It feels like, sounds like and looks like little pimped oblivion mixed with morrowind. Graphics are not that good as i excepted. If i compare them to withcher 2 the result is miserable
  9. Nov 13, 2011
    After like 6 hours i have stopped playing as i was just bored. It is almost the same as Oblivion, but we have rocks and snow instead of grass. Stupid dialogs, stupid tutorial (there is a bear ahead, lets sneak or take this bow - then one shot and bear is dead. So simple, but still my companion had to cry). Graphics are average - nothing special about it. Is dragon from start trying to killAfter like 6 hours i have stopped playing as i was just bored. It is almost the same as Oblivion, but we have rocks and snow instead of grass. Stupid dialogs, stupid tutorial (there is a bear ahead, lets sneak or take this bow - then one shot and bear is dead. So simple, but still my companion had to cry). Graphics are average - nothing special about it. Is dragon from start trying to kill us ? Then he should wait one more second - dragon idiot, that's all. I would give it 5, as game is not that bad, it is just nothing more than average experience. Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2011
    A decent enough game. Development of character is ok(ish) but graphics for a PC are woeful. It shows that this game has been written with the "ancient clockwork" hardware of the 360 and PS3 in mind. They are so bad it's shocking. Combat is rather weak (point and click...and keep clicking - changing weapon is about the only tactical thing you can do and most fights it's just a case ofA decent enough game. Development of character is ok(ish) but graphics for a PC are woeful. It shows that this game has been written with the "ancient clockwork" hardware of the 360 and PS3 in mind. They are so bad it's shocking. Combat is rather weak (point and click...and keep clicking - changing weapon is about the only tactical thing you can do and most fights it's just a case of swapping to a melee weapon when the mob gets too close etc). Story is good, voice acting is better than Oblivion (More variation) But I just can't get over the poor graphics. Sure - -buy it - it's not a bad game, but it's definately not a 2011/12 game - more like a 2005/6 one Expand
  11. Dec 20, 2011
    Bethesda sells this game as a RPG, yet it's a adventure game. Three stats, blande forge system, buy 1000 daggers to do a greatsword? really? Lot's of fetch quests, dungeons look the same. Bad voice acting sounding the same over and over, uninteresting writing in the main quest.
    Basically, if you sell it like a RPG, it should be a RPG.
  12. Nov 15, 2011
    This game was entertaining for up to about a total of 5 to 6 hours but then after that it just didn't feel the same so I ended up getting bored of it and just started playing other games instead. If your gonna make a massive environment then make sure the Gameplay is really ADDICTING because if if gets boring then you've just gone an annoyed heaps of people who were expecting so much more
  13. Dec 28, 2011
    So very poor for an Elder Scrolls Game.

It has almost no progression in terms of the game world or gameplay. Besides dual spells and weapons, the game has not improved at all over 5 years. -The world is still filled with static carts and stupid AI bleating garbage at you. The game world is as immersive as a town of Lego sadly. -The graphics are damn right ugly and terrible for current
    So very poor for an Elder Scrolls Game.

-The graphics are damn right ugly and terrible for current PC's.
    -PC support is beyond a joke and why I gave this such a low score - the fps is cpu capped! Yes, seriously! How stupid and absurd could things be for a game?! The game is clearly not built for computers and is another cheap console port.
    -The memory usage is also capped at 1GB so I hope you don't like mods otherwise the game will crash to desktop every few minutes
  14. Nov 13, 2011
    I fail to understand the negative reviews here. There are flaws, yes. No game i played had no flaws - specially near release. A bug or two do not affect my rating however, and that is all the bad i've found so far. The graphics are good, for god's sake! why does it seem like every game must look like crysis or something to have good graphics! The sound is good, the atmosphere is perfect,I fail to understand the negative reviews here. There are flaws, yes. No game i played had no flaws - specially near release. A bug or two do not affect my rating however, and that is all the bad i've found so far. The graphics are good, for god's sake! why does it seem like every game must look like crysis or something to have good graphics! The sound is good, the atmosphere is perfect, the story is epic...

I may be more favorable than i should because i share such nostalgia and love for oblivion and this game was just what i have been waiting for since i stopped with oblivion, but this game is for those who have loved oblivion and the series and like this kind of game for what it is overall, and i value the fact that bethesda did what their fans wanted. If you find this game boring, go play something else, it is not for you.

If yet you come here to rate this game down, knowing that it is not really your kind of game or just blaming graphics or something like that, know that your name will be in my prayers for Sithis...
  15. Jul 23, 2012
    It's ok, until the next TES game comes out. Then it will be forgotten (I like to call it the "need for speed effect") by everyone. Shallow story and characters, nothing really interesting apart from the graphics.
  16. Sep 5, 2012
    I will try to sum up how bad this game is: 1.) The story sucks, actually is practically non existent 2.) 85% of the game is made up boring fetch quests 3.) The game is level scaled. When you level up, then the enemies do the same 4.) The game is simple, even a 6 year old could play this. It is not challenging at all 5.) The RPG elements have been dumbed down so far that they are nowI will try to sum up how bad this game is: 1.) The story sucks, actually is practically non existent 2.) 85% of the game is made up boring fetch quests 3.) The game is level scaled. When you level up, then the enemies do the same 4.) The game is simple, even a 6 year old could play this. It is not challenging at all 5.) The RPG elements have been dumbed down so far that they are now practically non existent. This game is just a standard hack and slash 6.) 98% of all caves, dungeons, etc. are 100% linear. There is only 1 path, thats it. 7.) The inventory system is HORRIBLE. Bethesda can sell millions of copies of this **** game, but they just do not have the professional pride to actually design an efficient inventory system. 8.) There are no challenging or super powerful enemies 9.) Money has no value in this game, it is worthless. 10.) To level up your skills (alchemy, blacksmith) you have to grind so much, that it is ridiculous. 11.) There are no super powerful items in the game. The best items can only be created by your character (with generic ingredients) 12.) Exploring does not reward you in any way. It is just a waste of time. 13.) Companions are only good as mules, because they are retarded 14.) The Dragons are a joke. Simple and way too many of them. 14.) Potions are worthles (except for crafting items) because the game is not challening at all. 15.) You can find everything in abundance, there is nothing rare in this game. 16.) Why are worthless plates, cups, goblets etc. collectable? All they do is clutter up your inventory and are totally worthless! --- I could go on forever. It doesn't matter though. This game is horrible, it is the pinacle of bad game design dumbed down to a level so that retards can play it. It is the worst "RPG" or "Hack and Slash" I have ever played, and one of the worst games I have ever played. It sucks. Thats it. Expand
  17. Jan 4, 2013
    This is based on roughly 40 hours of experience, the price, and I am no long addicted to this game, I lost all interest in it. I will probably never play this game again. I bought this game because of all the hype, the story is cool the type of enemies are really cool, the story is fascinating, exploring is amazing!!! Why did I rate this game so low? Because of the weaponry, armor sets,This is based on roughly 40 hours of experience, the price, and I am no long addicted to this game, I lost all interest in it. I will probably never play this game again. I bought this game because of all the hype, the story is cool the type of enemies are really cool, the story is fascinating, exploring is amazing!!! Why did I rate this game so low? Because of the weaponry, armor sets, (melee) combat, bugs, and it's butchering of loot. I don't even know why people praised this game, the new RPG standard in games is A LOT OF LOOT!!! This game will NOT give you that, it's system is terrible, predictable and unlike other Bethesda games(fallout for example) You aren't rewarded for exploring much, if you do find an upgrade it's not an "AWESOME" Moment it's "DUH, I knew I'd get something like that". I play A LOT of RPG's, dead island, kingdoms or amalur, Fallout, the list goes on. They give you satisfaction when you loot, it's like you stare at it for a good 20+ seconds, it's fun! This game, nah. Basically :
    I Payed 30 dollars for skyrim(50% sale) Thank god I didn't pay the 60! This game is great, if you enjoy graphics(Character graphics/animations are kind of terrible) Reading books, not much more benefits I can say other than that. Comparing to other RPG's of the same company, or just in general. This game has more quantity, than quality when it comes to submersing you into it. I'd recommend fallout:new vegas over skyrim. 10,20$? For New vegas, New vegas has much more bugs, however telling you from 250 hours of experience(and still haven't beaten the game) Exploring is so much more enjoyable! I Spent most of the time and story line exploring instead of questing. Skyrim all you really buy this game for is to reading books, not really much more. This is my first taste of elder scrolls and I will never go back to it.
  18. Nov 11, 2011
    0s, 1s and 2s, lol, you guys are high. 0! Wow, you must have some incredibly high expectations for a game experience. I've been playing since release and am loving every minute of it so far. The control scheme takes a bit to get use to, but what new game doesn't. The graphics aren't stellar high res, but fantastic eye candy nonetheless. The story is fantastic! The combat is decent0s, 1s and 2s, lol, you guys are high. 0! Wow, you must have some incredibly high expectations for a game experience. I've been playing since release and am loving every minute of it so far. The control scheme takes a bit to get use to, but what new game doesn't. The graphics aren't stellar high res, but fantastic eye candy nonetheless. The story is fantastic! The combat is decent and entertaining. The sheer amount of things to do is over the top. I've had 0 issues with the game, not one crash, flicker or freeze. If you dig a deep, well crafted RPG that will keep you busy for longer than you care to play, this one will definitely satisfy. Expand
  19. Nov 11, 2011
    Although the graphical capabilities of the engine used in the game are quite lacklustre especially in in terms of certain textures, the feel and atmosphere of the game is spot on. So much detail has gone into the game, and the quests feel handcrafted to me for the majority. I can't think of any other games which have more handcrafted quests. Of course the randomly generated kill banditAlthough the graphical capabilities of the engine used in the game are quite lacklustre especially in in terms of certain textures, the feel and atmosphere of the game is spot on. So much detail has gone into the game, and the quests feel handcrafted to me for the majority. I can't think of any other games which have more handcrafted quests. Of course the randomly generated kill bandit leader ones are quite bland. The music is absolute top standard, and the game is very stable. Just about every single one of my steam friends is playing this game, and I'm hearing of a small number of crashes but that is it. I'm thinking some of the people facing graphical issues probably haven't updated their drivers. I'm happy to for people to have different opinions to me regarding this game but some of the people giving low ratings are absolute morons. The game does have a console feel to it at times, but one person complained that you can't assign numbers to items. This is absolute bullcrap as I have all my number key assigns to weapons and spells, and it's pretty sad that people are rating the game lower just because they are a bloody dumbarse that can't even work out the controls! Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2011
    The ingame menus stop me giving this a 10, they are just a lazy effort from the devs.
    Other than that, its an awesome addition to the Elders Scrolls saga.
  21. Mar 30, 2012
    This game has stood it's ground as time goes on. Notice how the majority of negative reviews are when the game was released. Granted, I was a bit disappointed at first too. The graphics were not what I was expecting and there were a few bugs and the UI kind of sucked. Most of the negatives are from people that cannot be satisfied.

Bethesda has proven to be a worthy company though,

Bethesda has proven to be a worthy company though, releasing updates, an Excellent Hi-Res pack, and providing continual support The millions of people who have put in many hours can attest to the overall quality of this game. After you put in 100+ hours, you realize how impressive this game really is. They put so much time into designing this, so many unique places and dungeons.

Oh and did I mention the mods? You can get as ridiculous as you want with this game. I know 'hardcore' elitists will never let their nostalgia go, this is by far the highest overall quality RPG game ever made.
  22. Nov 14, 2011
    If you're whining about this game not running or working on your PC, your computer is garbage. Go out and buy a decent computer before you downgrade this game and criticize it. I play it on full ultra, at 1920x1080, and it runs smooth like butter. Perhaps if you can't play this game you should go buy a console, instead of downgrading the metascore? I know you are frustrated and sad, butIf you're whining about this game not running or working on your PC, your computer is garbage. Go out and buy a decent computer before you downgrade this game and criticize it. I play it on full ultra, at 1920x1080, and it runs smooth like butter. Perhaps if you can't play this game you should go buy a console, instead of downgrading the metascore? I know you are frustrated and sad, but please, leave the REAL gaming to us people who can afford to play a game meant to be played on a real rig, not your crappy $400 Best Buy PC.

For real, guys, quit down-rating it because it has graphical glitches. If your computer could handle it, you'd not see them. It's your own fault for buying a junk computer.
  23. Dec 12, 2011
    Whilst it's true the game still has quite a few bugs, for me they are isolated to quest bugs only as I haven't encountered anything else in the way of bugs and I've now played 120+ hours. These bugs at times are infuriating but for Skyrim's sake they don't detract from the experience at all and I still feel this game is definitely a 9.5-10. The sheer size of playable area, coupled with theWhilst it's true the game still has quite a few bugs, for me they are isolated to quest bugs only as I haven't encountered anything else in the way of bugs and I've now played 120+ hours. These bugs at times are infuriating but for Skyrim's sake they don't detract from the experience at all and I still feel this game is definitely a 9.5-10. The sheer size of playable area, coupled with the amount of content to do is overwhelming at times but it's just so good! At any one time, your log is likely to have 20-30+ quests. Sheer quantity does not always translate to quality but Skyrim never transcends into the mundane thankfully. With a slew of quest bug fixes due sometime in the next month, this game is only going to get better with age, oh and as for the graphics...stunning, it's actually mindboggling how good everything can look whilst still rendering smoothly on such sheer scale. If you don't have this game and enjoy RPG's, you really shouldn't be on here, you should be playing the game! Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2011
    Excellent and wonderful adventure! Oblivion was expecting, but received no less than Morrowind! Graphics nice, gameplay is perfect! the first 10 hours simply could not tear myself away from 3 o'clock which was engaged in hunting and fishing!
  25. Nov 12, 2011
    The game is perfect by no means, but most of these scores ranging below 6 are mainly picking out very minor things and turning each of these into a game breaker. First off the bugs are nowhere near as bad as people have made them out to be. I have played a total of fourteen hours and have crashed twice, both cases happened at a loading screen so my progress was auto saved before, only aThe game is perfect by no means, but most of these scores ranging below 6 are mainly picking out very minor things and turning each of these into a game breaker. First off the bugs are nowhere near as bad as people have made them out to be. I have played a total of fourteen hours and have crashed twice, both cases happened at a loading screen so my progress was auto saved before, only a minor set back. Aside from that the little quirks go unnoticed and I continue to go about doing as I wish. Also, the combat isn't mind-blowing but it has improved tremendously since Oblivion and does a fine job at it. The visuals aren't the best but they aren't merely a "heavily modded Oblivion." Each quest has been completely unique and the dungeon layouts are fantastic. Somewhat cheesy story line but well worth it. I foresee many more moons of playing Skyrim. Expand
  26. Nov 14, 2011
    I am not an RPG player at all - but this game converted me. It is amazing just how huge the world is. I have been exploring now for 40+ hours and have not even touched the main story line. I just want to keep on poking around through dungeons and forests. The alchemy system is fantastic. All the issues I had with the game - the UI- were fixed the first day. I made a gamble and bought thisI am not an RPG player at all - but this game converted me. It is amazing just how huge the world is. I have been exploring now for 40+ hours and have not even touched the main story line. I just want to keep on poking around through dungeons and forests. The alchemy system is fantastic. All the issues I had with the game - the UI- were fixed the first day. I made a gamble and bought this over MW3 and I have never been more happy about a purchasing decision. Skyrim proves you can have a very long lived series that constantly ups the bar and exceeds expectations each time a new game gets made. Imagine if COD got 1/100th the effort Bethesda put into Skyrim.... You need this game in your life. It is amazing. Expand
  27. Nov 15, 2011
    Graphics: While some of the up close textures may be a tad blurry, and you might get some pop in; this game looks absolutely wonderful with a decent PC rig with all the settings on ultra. For a game with environments this vast you are going to see some hiccups, but overall the level of detail is remarkable.

Sound: With some old ES favorites mixed into an original score, the music in

Sound: With some old ES favorites mixed into an original score, the music in this game is top notch and comes to a crescendo during high action parts, yet drops off to a soothing melody as you walk around towns. The ambient sounds are also top notch and brings another level to this world when played through a surround sound system. Gameplay: In previous ES games I always found that the combat was rather lacking and got very stale after a while, especially melee characters. While Skyrim doesn't exactly implement a brand new combat system, they have however, refined their combat system into a much more enjoyable experience. It seems Bethesda has taken a page out of the Bioshock book, because in Skyrim your character now can dual wield weapons, magic, or in the case of my character one of each. Many magic spells can be combined to create a much more powerful version of which ever spell you are dual-wielding. Melee still feels a bit flat when compared to the dual casting magic system, but with the inclusion of gruesome finishing moves and the ability to wield two one-handed weapons, as well as a more effective sword and board style, melee combat feels much better than in previous iterations of the ES series.

Leveling up in Skyrim has also been streamlined, (i know i know many construe streamlined as being "dumbed down", and I assure you it's not) which in my opinion was a very welcome addition. It still follows the "level up by doing" formula of previous games in the ES series. but instead of trying to divide 10 points into 50+ skills, you now choose to put points into Magic, Health, or Stamina every time you gain a level. In addition to choosing a base stat to boost, you also get a perk point every level, which you can than put into a specialty area, such as destruction/restoration/illusion if you use magic or one-hand/two-hand/shield for people who like to hit things. Menus/UI: While these are serviceable for PC users who use a mouse and keyboard, it is very evident that these were designed with controllers in mind. I also don't like that the ability to bind different keys is restricted. While I can still remap certain keys I can't assign my number keys to various potions, abilities, magic, etc. which is a bit of a let down. That being said, the menus themselves have a very slick look to them, especially the skills menu where you spend your points once you level.

Playability/Re-playability: This area is where Skyrim really shines. The amount of quests in this game is absolutely staggering, and many are in places that you might not think to look. For example I was reading random books in a random dungeon, and one of the books gave me a quest to find an ancient sword. I'm not sure if that one book is the only way you can get the quest, but it goes to show that you should leave no stone unturned when it comes to exploring. Skyrim also continues the ES tradition that ensures that no player will experience Skyrim the exact same way as another. Now the main quests are the same, but the game leaves it up to you in how and in which order you want to tackle each one. Another interesting aspect of the Skyrim quest system is that it will continue to spawn random kill/search/rescue/deliver quests that will in theory keep you going forever.

Bugs/Glitches: For any of you familiar with the ES or (new)Fallout series you know that these games can be full of bugs from something as simple as textures not loading to something as game-breaking as a corrupted save file. Skyrim seems for the most part to be game-breaking bug free, but still has a few annoyances such as NPCs caught in a loop, or wooly mammoths being launched hundreds of feet in the air. Luckily the auto save feature in Skyrim activates each time you enter or exit a new area, so if you are unfortunate enough to experience a major bug that requires a reset, hopefully it won't set you back to far. Another issue worth mentioning is that Skyrim can crash randomly, and while I haven't experienced it first hand, my roommate has had a few.

Overall: Skyrim is the pinnacle of the ES series, it remedies many issues of the past games, and presents you with an open world experience unparallelled in the RPG realm. The quests are fun and engaging, the world feels alive as npc's walk around and do their day to day chores, the combat has been tightened up and feels much better, especially as a melee character. If you have never played an ES game before and are looking for an open world rpg than this game is for you, and if you are familiar with and enjoyed previous games in the ES series Skyrim will blow you away.
  28. Nov 15, 2011
    Yes, there are some serious issues with this game on PC. Quite obviously, the new take on controls was created with primarily (console) gamepads in mind, not the classic PC keyboard & mouse combo. In the first 40 hours of gameplay, the game crashed three times and glitched out on me two times - but, compared to, say, Fallout 3, that means there was obviously some sweat and tears andYes, there are some serious issues with this game on PC. Quite obviously, the new take on controls was created with primarily (console) gamepads in mind, not the classic PC keyboard & mouse combo. In the first 40 hours of gameplay, the game crashed three times and glitched out on me two times - but, compared to, say, Fallout 3, that means there was obviously some sweat and tears and brainmatter involved in updating the engine and bring it to modern times, I'd say they've done a great job. Seeing as graphics cards meanwhile feature five to ten times as much video memory on average and systems (not just dedicated gaming rigs) are generally much more capable than 2006, when the predecessor Oblivion was released, I have to say I am amazed at how well this game scales to different sets of hardware. Sure, the console roots show, and some bits of the controls just feel clunky, unwieldy and not too clever, but since this is the first real RPG offering in quite a while (Dragon Age 2 wasn't really a keeper, or even a proper RPG, mind you), I was eagerly looking forward to get my hands on this one. I personally think that the PC version looks and feels best, and the levelling system, which at first seemed to be pretty confusing, random and annoying started looking rather beautiful and well thought out at around level 30. While I intended to visit the world of Skyrim as a rogue, my player character has turned out to be a sneaking, lock-picking, dual-wielding master of destruction and conjuration, and while I never liked the ocd-grade professions in World of Warcraft, being able to create and improve equipment actually feels good in Skyrim. I still hope there will be a comeback, a modern incarnation of the "classic" fantasy role-playing game, but Skyrim is a neat and wonderful trip. At times, the limitations of the engine do show, but compared to the many, many hours of exploring, sneaking, battling, setting things and creatures on fire and trapping their souls for later use, I would say Skyrim is a remarkable title and a job well done. Yes, after having watched some amazingly perplexing online video footage of people playing the game, I can imagine that Skyrim is, to a significant extent a very individual if not downright unique journey, but for the veteran role-playing gamer who does not like World of Warcraft and despises Dragon Age 2 and given time and understanding spouses, this should be considered a must-buy, must-have, must-play. Expand
  29. Nov 16, 2011
    When Fallout 3 came out it was called by some 'the biggest mod for Oblivion'. It turns out the fifth Elder Scrolls release may as well be called 'the biggest mod for Fallout'. Bethesda have mixed what had proved so tremendously gripping in TES4 with some novelty concepts from their experiences with the Fallout franchise into... well, in my humble opinion NOT the game of the year. It cannotWhen Fallout 3 came out it was called by some 'the biggest mod for Oblivion'. It turns out the fifth Elder Scrolls release may as well be called 'the biggest mod for Fallout'. Bethesda have mixed what had proved so tremendously gripping in TES4 with some novelty concepts from their experiences with the Fallout franchise into... well, in my humble opinion NOT the game of the year. It cannot be denied that the freedom of choice and the sandbox-like, fully interactive environment are the best features the game has to offer.. The place for a third digit in the 'hours spent' count is there for a reason. The non-scripted dragon fights are also light years ahead of, for example, Bioware's DA series. The way one can interact with the humongous world is a treat in itself, what with all the crafting, alchemy, cooking, prospecting or even woodcutting. What I do not like about Skyrim, however, is that it's in no way as revolutionary as Oblivion was back in 2006. The solutions offered by the supposedly new Creation engine are one disappointing feature. Even with the settings maxed out (all the way, far beyond 'Ultra'), I keep asking myself why I bought a new rig earlier this year. If individual screenshots might capture some true eye-candies, the overall experience is that of... running around Capital Wasteland during wintertime. Working on the quality of TPP animations does not exactly mean improving the feel of combat, which apart from dual-wielding/casting does not appear in any way different than in Oblivion. It feels static, rolls or dodges are virtually not-existent. One change long awaited by the fans was going to involve the NPC faces. Those have improved since TESIV, however, regretful I am to say this, a DA2 character would run away in horror on seeing just any face from Skyrim (not to mention Triss Merigold who would probably kick the bucket on the spot). Before the release, Bethesda reps would also boast about how the voice acting had changed since Oblivion. This is only partially true. The lines used by merchants, trainers, or other characters you have to interact with at least every couple of hours, are surprisingly few, which makes the interaction repetitive and automatic. Since Skyrim is meant to be played for 100+ hours, it does not seem justified to place so much emphasis on the quality of spoken interactions in the main story line, while at the same time leaving the rest of the dialogues so much less appealing. Music is the feature which rarely can be find disappointing about Bethesda games and nothing seems to have changed in this aspect. All in all, the Skyrim development team seem to have decided on a safe approach. Almost nothing feels dumbed down, there are very few activities and quests in the whole game that do not feel entertaining. Still, the five-year gap between the two most recent ES games was apparently too short for Bethesda to make a leap into a new quality of gaming. Expand
  30. Nov 26, 2011
    Bad ui, bad bugs, not good enough graphics. Not showing any skills, too easy to play. Oblivion was 10x times better!!...........................................
  31. Dec 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Skyrim is a game supposed to take the immersion to the next level. The landscapes are amazing, the world building is excellent and being divided between two factions in the middle of a civil war, when neither of them is black and white is awesome. The shout idea is another good point and I particularly liked the other guilds and factions sidequests.

The problems with Skyrim are several. For a game built to be in the top tier of the immersion factor, the AI is just too poorly written. Characters have few lines, you have little impact on their lives or their behavior towards you and the problems when everyone is against you (with vampirism for instance, if you are starved, doesn't matter if you are wearing a mask, everyone knows you're a vampire and will attack on sight, even the poor guy who has agreed to help you 10 minutes earlier) CERTAINLY break immersion.

Whenever a dragon flies by in a city, EVERY ABLE BODIED men and women WILL drop anything and everything they are doing to kill it. It's complete **** everyone should be running away desperately. And the horses? Why are they so completely badass in this game? Every time I unmount near a bandit camp, my horse goes **** inside it to murder every single one of my enemies. Don't get me wrong, my horse is the DB one and it's cool that he behaves like that, but should EVERY horse in the realm do this? It certainly breaks the immersion when horses flee the stables to kick some dragon's ass.

This game is hell of a lot fun, but its flaws are immersion breaking. It's a game that wants you to lose yourself inside its world, but instead manages to break in every NPC encounter you have.
  32. Dec 19, 2011
    "Freedom without Purpose": I was seriously disappointed by Skyrim; I choked on insignificant options, undirected freedom followed by quick deaths, the confusing UI, the confusing map, and poor combat mechanics. But I have read that if you play it in a certain way it's more enjoyable:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/36533/features/skyrim-nine-ways-to-make-it-the-worst-game-ever/ I suspect that this

I suspect that this writer is correct, but it's a shame that you ruin the game unless you do X, Y, and Z, particularly if the game presents itself as a "free play"/sandbox game. Again, undirected freedom isn't a good thing in and of itself, particularly if it's achieved by simply removing the signposts.

I think Skyrim's success has to do with all the fancy graphics and media hype.
  33. Feb 14, 2012
    If you loved Oblivion you will love this game. It is what I expected when I heard about it being developed. With the recent release of the creation kit it can only get better, as it did with Oblivion. This game offers many unique paths you can take and many different ways down those paths. As with Bethesda tradition there are a variety of game-breaking exploits via tradeskills and were aIf you loved Oblivion you will love this game. It is what I expected when I heard about it being developed. With the recent release of the creation kit it can only get better, as it did with Oblivion. This game offers many unique paths you can take and many different ways down those paths. As with Bethesda tradition there are a variety of game-breaking exploits via tradeskills and were a lot of bugs upon release. The console commands could help you bypass the bugs to continue on your way but should that really be the way around them? Exploring off the trail is very rewarding and very exciting, quests are actually meaningful and generally not the usual "collect 10 wolf flanks," "kill 5 mudcrabs," or "pick up my dry cleaning and get me some coffee" that RPG's seem to love these days. There are many ways to improve this game, and they gave us the tools to do it as well. Any open-world RPG fan would be nuts to pass this over. Expand
  34. Mar 4, 2012
    This game is so boring! nothing to do.. walking around doing random thinks...
    Go play runescape! its free and of the same quality of this ****
    so overrated just like mario, cod, zelda, halo and ****
  35. Mar 11, 2012
    The reason why I can't give Skyrim a better score is simple : Skyrim has been made for console. I was expecting so much. But once you begin to truly explore, it feel very repetitive and the control on PC are very so so.

It's still a good game, but I can't give more than 7.
  36. Mar 11, 2012
    Average Gameplay. Expect to "click to swing" alot. This is no Witcher. Below average graphics due to a poor console port. Below average controls due to a poor console port. Lack of multiplayer (even coop), which is cute for a sandbox rpg in 2011...wait, that's not cute, that's sad. Overall an average yet dated game held back ever further by the fact it's a poor port. I don'tAverage Gameplay. Expect to "click to swing" alot. This is no Witcher. Below average graphics due to a poor console port. Below average controls due to a poor console port. Lack of multiplayer (even coop), which is cute for a sandbox rpg in 2011...wait, that's not cute, that's sad. Overall an average yet dated game held back ever further by the fact it's a poor port. I don't recommend purchasing unless you are an oblivian fan boy, very lonely, or just don't play alot of games like this, in which case, you will probably foam at the mouth with misdirected bethesda love. Expand
  37. Jun 13, 2012
    Obviously made for the XBox and ported to PS3 and PC the graphics on this game are sub par at best, PC controls are nearly unplayable, Filled with bugs, and offers virtually no challenge to a seasoned gamer. All Bethesda seems to do with these game is pile as many little side quests in it as possible so you can feel like you are getting a lot from your money. The truth is you're gettingObviously made for the XBox and ported to PS3 and PC the graphics on this game are sub par at best, PC controls are nearly unplayable, Filled with bugs, and offers virtually no challenge to a seasoned gamer. All Bethesda seems to do with these game is pile as many little side quests in it as possible so you can feel like you are getting a lot from your money. The truth is you're getting an over rated, under developed game instead. Expand
  38. Sep 28, 2012
    I was initially very impressed by the game. However I became frustrated at a main quest with 'esbern' that was broken and unpatched almost a year after launch. As well the UI is abysmal for a PC game. It looks like the UI was designed for console and ported to PC which is just brutal. A separate UI for PC should have been done. A UI more like World of Warcraft would make this gameI was initially very impressed by the game. However I became frustrated at a main quest with 'esbern' that was broken and unpatched almost a year after launch. As well the UI is abysmal for a PC game. It looks like the UI was designed for console and ported to PC which is just brutal. A separate UI for PC should have been done. A UI more like World of Warcraft would make this game infinitely better. I'm not sure how reviewers can give this game a 10. Expand
  39. Jan 2, 2013
    I really tried this game, a lot. But i simple can't play it, it's boring as hell. But the worst problem is the graphic engine, when u play at 3rd person you will see your character "floating" on the ground instead of walking. You really don't feel the movements, they are very awkward and this problem is reflected on the combat, which is bad, very bad. I think it's the worst combat system iI really tried this game, a lot. But i simple can't play it, it's boring as hell. But the worst problem is the graphic engine, when u play at 3rd person you will see your character "floating" on the ground instead of walking. You really don't feel the movements, they are very awkward and this problem is reflected on the combat, which is bad, very bad. I think it's the worst combat system i ever seen, i prefer the 16-bits turn based system s rather than this. Expand
  40. upi
    Dec 24, 2013
    This is not really a "review", more like a warning label. Please regard it as such.
    For anyone downloading this game and expecting to play: don't. I did, and was rewarded by having to sit on a carriage for 14 minutes listening to an infodump-style exposition with name after name after name. I was unable to move. Then I was treated to watching an execution. Then I was told to climb some stairs and found that my character could not do that.
    I'm sure there are those who say that this was a rewarding experience, or that I should wait to earn actually playing. Good for you. For those who are like me and want a game that one can actually play from the start: forget Skyrim. Score ZERO.
  41. Jan 23, 2015
    this game has nothing to do with role playing. it is more like action adventure game. repetitive cave clearing quests, fetch quests MORE THAN dragon age inquisition. but still fun game and I am playing it for hours.
  42. Jan 27, 2015
    Very interesting in the beginning, extremely boring later. This game is huge but when you get know 30% of the game everything is the same later on. Poor quests. Not very interesting (or just silly) main plot. It's Not good when game is boring, especially game with high ratings like Skyrim. Morrowind is he king so far.

Great atmosphere, soundtrack and still not bad graphics (with the

Great atmosphere, soundtrack and still not bad graphics (with the mods at least) are the strongest parts of this game.
  43. Apr 26, 2015
    With the Elder Scrolls series becoming more streamlined it got more shallow with the focus on questing and less about exploring and immersing yourself into the gaming world.
    Combined with mediocre writing and loaded with bugs the series had one redeeming quality that made it a great game well deserving of the praise it got.
    The modding community. With the community torn apart the
    The modding community.
    With the community torn apart the lifespan of this product will be way shorter than it's predecessors Morrowind and Oblivion to which you can still add freshly made content up to this day.
  44. Nov 12, 2011
    Well, there goes my life for the next few months. Skyrim has taken the good elements of the Elder Scrolls series and refined it, removing the bad or unnecessary parts. This game is the pinnacle of what a game can be, simply by working hard and releasing a good product. Menus are streamlined, with the extra, non-essential information being separated from the important elements.

The world

The world is beautiful, and is an excellent merge of real world fauna and fictional creatures to make it quite immersive. It is quite easy to lose yourself in this game, regardless of previous RPG experience. It is also quite obvious that Bethesda learned from their experience with the Fallout franchise to add and change some things. No longer will over-encumbrance be as much a burden on the enterprising adventurer, as the Fallout system was implemented. Sprinting is also a welcome addition; a good tangent from walking to riding a horse.

All in all, this is the best Bethesda game to date. I fear for the future of the company, because I highly doubt they'll be able to top this anytime soon. 10/10
  45. Nov 13, 2011
    I simply wanted to address and issue on some of the bad reviews I've seen before I go back to play Skyrim, so here goes...

If played on the Console or anything Lower than Ultra Detail I think it's unfair to judge Skyrim on graphics. The graphics are amazing, I mean a-m-a-z-i-n-g. It's something you can only experience if you have the hardware to run it and the screen in front of you. When bits a pieces are taken away from the layers of details that Bethesda has created, the graphics will decline rapidly. I also don't think Hardware cost should be included in the rating for a 60 dollar game to be run on max details. It's a next generation game, that uses next generation equipment with the option to dock down the layers of detail to be playable on older hardware. It simply looks better on Ultra at 35FPS+ with everything cranked up, it drives me nuts to see some of these reviews saying the graphics are horrid. You can't judge a book by it's cover while looking through broken glasses underwater. The recommended graphics for the game are for Normal to High - not Ultra with x8 Antialiasing, Anisotropic x16 and FXAA. Hit the Ultra Button, go to the second page and hit FXAA then run the game. If it runs at 5-15 FPS or less then your hardware is not up to par for a final review of Skyrims Graphics. I just wanted to address this issue that keeps showing up in some of the low reviews so don't let those complaints turn you away from the game. Skyrim turned into my new favorite game of all time and I'll admit a full review would end up being overly bias - so I'm happy I could at least address this issue which is indeed a proven fact. Computer Graphics>Current Console Graphics and Ultra >High>Medium>Low. I also gave it a 9 and not a 10 simply because there are a few small bugs in the game - nothing big but it would be unfair to give a 10 which is a perfect score. A few dead bodies are left standing up here and there and an a mammoth once jumped 100 feet in the air when it phased in. Either way, like many of you I probably just gave up a year of my life for this game...enjoy.
  46. Nov 13, 2011
    Wonderful graphic, great soundtrack, amazing gameplay. Plus, the story is an epic Viking-style saga. If you have played and loved Oblibion in the past, this game is a must. It has few flaws, and maybe 10 it's not an accurate score, but I saw too many haters with theirs 0, and I feel the duty to counterbalance them.
  47. Nov 15, 2011
    This is my first Elder Scrolls game that I've actually enjoyed. To be honest, its the first one I've truly played and not quit after the first hour. You won't like this game if you are looking for action only. This is not an FPS, this is not an RTS. This is a game where the interactions and story outweigh the weapons, armor, and fighting tactics. Making the choice that you think is rightThis is my first Elder Scrolls game that I've actually enjoyed. To be honest, its the first one I've truly played and not quit after the first hour. You won't like this game if you are looking for action only. This is not an FPS, this is not an RTS. This is a game where the interactions and story outweigh the weapons, armor, and fighting tactics. Making the choice that you think is right in a situation is more important than what weapon you choose to fight with. If you don't like that, don't come crying on here saying "its boring, nothing to do" "Where do I go? There's no direction!" The point of this game is to literally "become" your character, in a sense where your reactions to other people in the game mirror your own reactions to the same situations in real life. This is done superbly, flawlessly, and impressively.

The graphics are impressive, and not *as* high quality as say, BF3, but given the size of the world, I think they are phenomenal. If you are really not having the same expereince, if your computer can handle it, turn on the Antisoptric Filtering and Anti-Aliasing. It will make the textures and world really pop and come to life. The weather effects and fog are so amazing, they really breathe life into this game. IMHO, its the shining achievement of this game. It brings to the table what most games lack and what makes them feel like you are staring at a screen holding your mouse instead of actually being in the game fully.

The quests as always are great, and I love the system of genuinely discovering a new place without direction, where you can run into anything and anyone.

The AI interactions without user interference are very immersive, you can literally stand around in a pub while AI have 5 minute long conversations about things, walking around drinking, eating, cooking etc. I could go on and on about the features and achievements that this game has accomplished, but what I really have to say is that it IS a complete experience. Take it as a "slice of life" from a distant land, where you are set in someone shoes and must decide what to do going forward from where you begin. Many of those saying its just like an offline MMORPG and that its bad for this or bad for that have lost focus of what this game is about. Its about making CONSTANT decisions, truly simulating being someone else in a different situation. All the NPCs are vastly different, all of them are truly unique. Its true, there will probably be a great amount of bad reviews from old and new players alike, either they got tired of the series and forgot the point of it or have grown out of it, or a newcomer doesn't really like the genre and wishes it was different.

Point: Take your own opinion of it. Don't let others decide what you like and don't like. This game can be great or it can be terrible in your eyes, depending on what you think you should be getting out of the experience and if you are OK with that.
  48. Nov 15, 2011
    The new addition to the The Elder Scrolls saga continues strong in Skyrim. Much of what makes the Elder Scrolls games what they are remains intact while enough innovation is included to assure you this is a growing series.

The graphics for the first few areas may not seem like much of an improvement but the visually stunning vistas of the cloud-covered mountains and the snow billowing off the ice caps to the north truly waylays any ideas of out-dated graphics. While the voice acting does feel stilted and clunky at times the fact that NPC's do recognize more of your actions helps create a more believable world that in previous installments.

The combat is more fleshed out this time around with the ability to actively block and shield bash if you're using heavy armor, or make the decision to wield multiple spell types at the same time as a caster via dual-casting abilities. While there are still balancing issues there are enough advancements here to keep you interested without much of the fatigue associated with repeated visits to dungeons in a single play session as found with Oblivion.

This game is not without glaring flaws however. It seems the game was designed with a controller in mind. Keyboard and mouse is fine for combat and exploration but clicking items in your inventory or selecting dialogue options has often followed at best with a frustrated sigh and at worse with a cry of outrage as I accidentally select the wrong option and sent a companion back to town or angering a guard without meaning to.

You have to be so precise with the mouse pointer that when at a vendor if you click slightly off the screen it closes the window and you have to reselect the vendor option. And while none of this is game-breaking I find myself avoiding interaction with other players due to the exasperation it can cause.

All negativity aside though, this is a game that offers hundreds of hours of content with fresh vistas everywhere you go. The dungeons are more adequately designed and combat is a blast. If you like fantasy adventure and didn't get enough from Dark Souls this is one game to pick up.
  49. Nov 17, 2011
    10 out of 10 awesome combat great graphics and fun storyline, i never had any problems with any of the graphics, glitches or anything really, also for those of you who got frustrated in the install don't write a review because you did not PLAY the game. There are many interesting things in this game and i especially enjoy reading the books which make the game feel fleshed out and fully10 out of 10 awesome combat great graphics and fun storyline, i never had any problems with any of the graphics, glitches or anything really, also for those of you who got frustrated in the install don't write a review because you did not PLAY the game. There are many interesting things in this game and i especially enjoy reading the books which make the game feel fleshed out and fully realized. Yes there are some minor bugs but given the size and the quality of the graphics they are to be expected.
    Suck it haters and get a computer from this generation
  50. Nov 17, 2011
    I feel I must first make a statement about the negative reviews. It mostly looks like it comes from people with PC's that aren't at least as powerful as the consoles they try to compare to. How do you expect a game to perform to the same standards on lower-end hardware? If you have a PC that is at least as powerful or more powerful than the PS3 or 360 then you have nothing to worryI feel I must first make a statement about the negative reviews. It mostly looks like it comes from people with PC's that aren't at least as powerful as the consoles they try to compare to. How do you expect a game to perform to the same standards on lower-end hardware? If you have a PC that is at least as powerful or more powerful than the PS3 or 360 then you have nothing to worry about as far as graphical quality.

------My positive observations------

Storyline: The depth that Bethesda has given to the lore in this game is astonishing; like nothing I've ever played. The NPC's speak to you differently depending on the actions you take with the main storyline and in the town, you can choose to join or destroy various factions, choose to reclaim Skyrim from the Empire or help the Empire complete it's route of the Stormcloaks, (avoiding spoilers is hard so I'll leave out a few more things I wanted to add). If you're planning on running through this game as fast as you can or aren't interested in exploring and listening to what the NPC's have to say, you WILL NOT enjoy this game to it's potential. Gameplay: I chose to specialize as a Mage for my first playthrough (I think I'm only about halfway through after 40-50 hours) and even within that focus there are specific schools of spells you can improve over others. The spellcasting feels very well balanced and effective without being too OP or too weak while giving you a feeling of progression when you acquire the more sophisticated spellcasting armor. The Interface is a little annoying on occasion when the mouse is too close to the options when you're navigating with w,a,s,d but it's effective while being minimal and non-intrusive; very well designed.

Graphics: Even with my now-out-of-date nVidia GTX260 this world looks stunning with the high resolution textures and attention to detail in nearly every aspect. The aurora in the sky at night, the interaction between wildlife (I saved a fox from getting eaten by a couple of wolves), the realistic geometry of the natural stones and stonework, the level of detail in the flora... We're still a decade or so away from micro-realism, but this is the closest I've felt to being in a real world in any game.

Failings: As previously mentioned, the minor annoyance of having the mouse highlight options causes the selection to be un-centered which can get annoying if you navigate with w,a,s,d. An option to turn off mouse navigation would be preferred. On occasion when you alt-tab out of Skyrim and then back to Skyrim, it may crash to the desktop; the only thing that makes this less annoying are the very frequent autosaves that minimize lost progress, but it still hinders the fluidity of the gameplay. The only other thing I've noticed is that NPC's will have situational issues that cause them to be facing the wrong way or stand in the wrong spot during a scene.
  51. Nov 18, 2011
    only about halfway done (i'm guessing) but so far the game is awesome. metacritic user scores are usually more indicative of the quality of a game, and this time (i believe) both critics and users have reached a consensus. the open world is gorgeous... especially the northern lights, characters look good enough (much better than long-faced ugs in previous elder scrolls), movement andonly about halfway done (i'm guessing) but so far the game is awesome. metacritic user scores are usually more indicative of the quality of a game, and this time (i believe) both critics and users have reached a consensus. the open world is gorgeous... especially the northern lights, characters look good enough (much better than long-faced ugs in previous elder scrolls), movement and physics are good, attention to detail is huge. the game's just really engrossing and sucks you in every time. load times are almost non-existent and the interface seems really polished and well thought out. bethesda got it right. you really get a sense that everyone on their team was at their best and cared about the final product.
    truly epic.
    i almost forgot... epic soundtrack as well.
  52. Nov 18, 2011
    Seems that Bethesda has learned from the past especially with Oblivion and Morrowind. The game itself takes good points from both, removes the rather broken leveling system from Oblivion, and fixes the story. Adding the scale and scope from morrowind, and leaving you to do your own thing. Before I had started the main quest, I'd already picked up 10 other main quests and had nearly 30Seems that Bethesda has learned from the past especially with Oblivion and Morrowind. The game itself takes good points from both, removes the rather broken leveling system from Oblivion, and fixes the story. Adding the scale and scope from morrowind, and leaving you to do your own thing. Before I had started the main quest, I'd already picked up 10 other main quests and had nearly 30 misc quests in my log simply from meeting and exploring. Graphics on it's own, are breathtaking. The combat system has been changed, some may like it, others may hate it. That doesn't mean there aren't flaws. Some textures are low res, blood, overlays for snow, there's a few problems with FXAA, quest failures because it can't find voice files(rare), but can be fixed by extracting the BSA. The AI is smarter than in previous games, but will still do silly things. Like keep a ward up for a long period if you charge a spell. There are some curious bugs, like CTD's if you're using a higher sound output than 24bit@41k, and some people report TDR problems with nvidia cards. On ultra high, performance wise on a 965x4 w/evga 560, is very good. Lots of light sources can cause it to choke, so can shadows. Though the difference between high and ultra shadows is minimal. The UI is very consolish, hopefully some folks like DaRN will fix that soon. If I could give partial points I would. The game is more of an 8.2-8.75 than a 9.

As it stands now I have nearly 60 hours in gameplay, and am still enjoying it.
  53. Nov 19, 2011
    This is my first "The Elder Scrolls" game and I only heard about it not long ago and decided I'd try it out. The graphics look pretty interesting and sort of "shiny" but right away I noticed that there's a lot of fog and you can't really see your enemy from far away,they just spawn close.The game is very good and interesting but I don't like that it promotes using your keys or a controllerThis is my first "The Elder Scrolls" game and I only heard about it not long ago and decided I'd try it out. The graphics look pretty interesting and sort of "shiny" but right away I noticed that there's a lot of fog and you can't really see your enemy from far away,they just spawn close.The game is very good and interesting but I don't like that it promotes using your keys or a controller over a mouse, it's supposed to be a PC game! I would give this game a 9 but I do think it is a little overrated , for the PC at least... Expand
  54. Nov 20, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a refreshing and welcome new title to the current rather bland western RPG genre.

The combat system is extremely innovative and feels action packed without taking away too much of the strategic depth in classical RPGs with countless combinations one can use, made even more diverse by the ability to favourite certain weapons for easy access. The only

The only criticism I have is the lack of hot keying items for the PC version which was featured in Fallout 3 and New Vegas to make weapon changing seamless. Pausing in the middle of an intense fight to heal, or change spells greatly reduced the immersiveness of the game.

Quests are wonderful and help you to build a character the way you want to by finding incredible loot, reducing the amount of grinding your character needs to do to be a dragon slaying powerhouse.

All in all, a great game and comes highly recommend. Best game of 2011 for me so far.
  55. Nov 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everyone knew Oblivion was the best RPG from 2006 - 2011, and then came skyrim. Skyrim has to be one of the best games ever, as It ticks all the different boxes e.g. Can you dual weild? Yes, Can you weild two spells at once and create a more powerful spell by combining them? Yes. Can you run? YES! (and when I say run I dont mean like oblivions version of running). If you thought oblivions graphics were pretty good skyrim is a whole new story! (unless your playing on xbox or ps3 then "from what ive heard" the graphics have been severely nerfed). there are many different things to do on skyrim which differ from oblivion e.g. You can now Mine, cut wood and cook food. you can also now enchant and disenchant items, smith new weapons and armour. For alchemy you dont need to carry around the novice alembic and pestle and morter to do alchemy, you only need to go to an alchemy table which can be found in quite a few places to create your potions and lotions. Skyrims campaign seemed fairly short compared to oblivions campaign. but I think that may just be because I either fast traveled or used my companions werewolf form to travel to places faster than just walking/running. The campaign may well be shorter but it is a hell of a lot more fun compared to walking through an oblivion gate to notice a few enemy's in which were fairly easy to kill. The Dark Brotherhood mission are abit lame to be honest but they are fun non the less. The theiving guilds missions are a bit more combat styled and not as much sneaking past everyone so you dont get seen. They are more like running in slashing up some enemys if needed then getting whatever you need to complete the quest. Being a dragonborn is quite handy as if you have mastered your unrelenting force shout you can basically blast back any opponent in front of you, which is quite amusing, handy and free to use!!! from what I have experienced skyrim doesnt seem to have loads of bugs and glitches its just small things which are hardly noticable so if your looking for a fun, exciting game, Skyrim is the game to have! I personally recommend it for PC not xbox and ps3 as the graphics are much better and will give you a more enjoyable expierence. Expand
  56. Nov 20, 2011
    Lots of fun and awe.
    A well crafted world, the environments are so believable, that (unlike your character) you can almost feel the cool Mountain air.
    On the down side, some of the voice acting are a bit to redundant.
  57. Nov 20, 2011
    Gorgeous game with a great assortment of things to do. I have put some hours into this and keep going back to it. Some of the physics are weak. Horse back riding on bridges are very dangerous! A multitude of side quests makes this game interesting as you can spend your time on one without even working on the main one. Just a fun game.
  58. Nov 20, 2011
    I'm not going to lie, this game is amazing, brilliant, outstanding, and a masterpiece. I'm only filling the rest up because i need one hundred and fifty characters. lol this looks like a review a saw :O great minds think alike. but i have used more then hundred and fifty characters now. =[ o well lol
  59. Nov 21, 2011
    This is the first game in the series that I have played, and I just have to say, this game is a masterpiece. Every aspect this game is simply fantastic. This is a must-have game for anyone who are looking forward to an awesome RPG experience.
  60. Nov 21, 2011
    This is the best game that i have played. you feel like real. I really like saving game. you can save at everywhere, everytime.Map is so big and this is so great. There is so much playable races ( with vampires and werewolves). you can use magic and weapon same time and it makes playing easier.AI is not perfect, but good. Story is good, sometimes dialogs and travels can be boring but whenThis is the best game that i have played. you feel like real. I really like saving game. you can save at everywhere, everytime.Map is so big and this is so great. There is so much playable races ( with vampires and werewolves). you can use magic and weapon same time and it makes playing easier.AI is not perfect, but good. Story is good, sometimes dialogs and travels can be boring but when you travelling thugs and bandits attacks you and fighting them are stops your boring. Graphics are good but sometimes you see missing details. but, when you look all of the game, This Game Ä°s Almost Perfect! Expand
  61. Nov 21, 2011
    When I heard about TESV: Skyrim, the sequel to one of my most beloved games of all time (Oblivion on the PC, with emphasis on the PC 'cause of mods), I was absolutely stoked, but after disappointing releases by numerous game companies, Bethesda included, I became skeptical of its overall quality and kept my expectation bar reasonably high. What I was expecting was a great game marred byWhen I heard about TESV: Skyrim, the sequel to one of my most beloved games of all time (Oblivion on the PC, with emphasis on the PC 'cause of mods), I was absolutely stoked, but after disappointing releases by numerous game companies, Bethesda included, I became skeptical of its overall quality and kept my expectation bar reasonably high. What I was expecting was a great game marred by day one issues, broken ___, and other issues that were fixable by the community in due time. Basically, I was expecting a good game, not a great one, that would be made excellent by the community over a long period of time.

Then it came out. Now, before I write this review, I noticed a trend among those who rated this game low. "Graphics don't look like real life...0/10...it's not like (insert favorite old-school RPG)...0/10...small bugs that will be patched...0/10..." Give me a break...This is a unique game (not a classic RPG! If you want that, then good luck finding one; they are getting pretty darn rare) that is very new (at least at the time I wrote this review) and doesn't have the mod tools out yet. Not a single 0/10 review has made a decent point as to why there is nothing redeeming about this game. Now for my review.

Let me tell you, this game took my expectations and mercilessly shattered them. 40+ hours in, the most amount of time I can remember spending on a game >4 weeks after its release, and I have still yet to get bored with this game.

There's a lot of improvement from the previous installments. Well, at least I consider them improvements. The addition of things like cooking, mining, smithing, and dual-wielding as well as beefing up magic to not only make it worth using, but very fun to use too, have all been great additions that add a lot of fun to the game. Dungeons have seen a massive upgrade, boasting a surprisingly high amount of variation and uniqueness, which makes dungeon-clearing much more interesting. Some things have been axed like weapon degradation and some skills (some of which were kind of useless like athletics), but overall, itâ
  62. Nov 24, 2011
    After reading some of the more 'harsh' reviews I have come to one conclusion, they are not playing the same game as me. While Skyrim doesn't deserve top marks (and I will explain why) it certainly doesn't disappoint.

Starting Skyrim up for the first time is like visiting an old friend who you haven't seen in a while, it's heading into the unknown and yet that familiar excitement starts to flow back, finally you are given the chance to customize your looks and this is where the fun begins.

First, the graphics. I'm really not sure why people say they are dated, and even comparing them to oblivion, they are more advance, I would say looking back that Oblivion was too bright and colourful which made it much more cartoony, but I can accept that, Cyrodiil was a completely different region to Skyrim. Skyrim is just grittier and darker due to a change of climate and a more realistic colour tone.

The game has kept me interested for 30+ hours over the week, and I'm still going, I haven't even touched the main quest out of interest on exploring and side questing, each character you talk to has his own personality, and sometimes I find myself going out of my way to teach people a lesson for insulting me because I have felt a connection to my character, the game is rather addictive once you've settled in the world, and there is plenty to do (plenty is an understatement)

One particularly cool feature is that sometimes a dragon will descend upon you, and the music kicks in and you are soon fighting this thing with just a sword and a bow, it all becomes rather epic as you weave and slash away at this beast that has come from nowhere, the music only entices the adrenaline as you feel like a true warrior. Great job on the music, it really draws you in and makes the game feel more complete.

But with good points, there are also bad, and this game seems to bring a slight disappointment to the PC gamer in me, since this appears to be a console port, the game plays well minus a few bugs, however it is the menus and interface that it falls rather flat on. Text that you have your mouse over isn't necessarily the text highlighted and can create some rather annoying â
  63. Dec 16, 2011
    I signed up with Metacritic just to praise this game. It is perhaps the best game I have ever played (up for debate) but its that good. Sure it had some bugs out of the gate and really I gave it a 9 because the devs could have put forth a little more effort on the PC version (controls, textures and the interface all suffer from consolitis) but other than that it is a downright blast toI signed up with Metacritic just to praise this game. It is perhaps the best game I have ever played (up for debate) but its that good. Sure it had some bugs out of the gate and really I gave it a 9 because the devs could have put forth a little more effort on the PC version (controls, textures and the interface all suffer from consolitis) but other than that it is a downright blast to play and you'll log 40 hours before scratching the surface. Expand
  64. Dec 18, 2011
    The environment in this game is beautiful. You can tell that it hasn't been tarnished by years of pollution and abuse by its inhabitants. The water is crystal clear and the mountain air so fresh, so much unlike our own. There are no factories to speak of. Nothing to pollute the surroundings and no detectable ozone pollution. Dragons, animals now extinct in our own world due pollution andThe environment in this game is beautiful. You can tell that it hasn't been tarnished by years of pollution and abuse by its inhabitants. The water is crystal clear and the mountain air so fresh, so much unlike our own. There are no factories to speak of. Nothing to pollute the surroundings and no detectable ozone pollution. Dragons, animals now extinct in our own world due pollution and habitat loss, roam the lands of Skyrim freely, a beautiful sight. All in all I must say this game is a masterpiece that depicts what our world could have been without the pollution so ever-present in our environment. First Prize! Expand
  65. Dec 23, 2011
    Better then oblivion if you ask me,only reason its not a ten for me is i just dont like how they did magic in this one other then that everything else is nearly flawless great game.
  66. Dec 27, 2011
    This game has so much inside of it. You get your money's worth. My only grief is that out of (apparently) no where the game will lag to an unplayable level. This can be fixed the first time by fast travelling to another location (or going to a load screen). After the first time it becomes more frequent until you have to restart the game. Apparently this issue has been recognized byThis game has so much inside of it. You get your money's worth. My only grief is that out of (apparently) no where the game will lag to an unplayable level. This can be fixed the first time by fast travelling to another location (or going to a load screen). After the first time it becomes more frequent until you have to restart the game. Apparently this issue has been recognized by bethesda and they are working on it. Setting my graphics lower increases the amount of time it takes for this glitch to appear again. I would recommend waiting to buy this game until it's on sale (I got it on a steam holiday sale). When everything is smooth I will enjoy this game all the more. I am very pleased with this game, I would recommend getting the nexus mod manager and getting some of the top mods for this notably "acceleration layer." Check out skyrim nexus for more details. Expand
  67. Dec 28, 2011
    My ignorance might have won the day. I could have given this a 9 or even a 10 but I can't. Why? Because I've played the Witcher games and have discovered just how great an RPG really can be. Yes, Skyrim looks beautiful in those huge outdoor vistas. Just don't get too close to anything, though. Close-up details are not particularly good, even on the highest graphics settings.
    As for the
    As for the main quest, I've been playing the game for about 10 hours and I'm really not getting engaged with the main plot at all. On the plus side it's because there are just so many side quests to do - this game is HUGE. On the minus side, the main quest is just not very interesting. Apparently the world might end. Really? In Oblivion it really felt that way. The hordes of the underworld had bled through and the ominous red glow in the sky was chilling and added a genuine feeling of peril. In this game I don't feel it at all. The world is full of dragons. They're pretty easy to kill, much easier than most dungeon bosses.
    Many of the side missions are retrieval quests - "I've lost X, go to Y and bring it back" - but they're fun for the most part, if not particularly challenging.
    The controls and combat are Ok but could be much better. A very obvious console port and not intuitive for mouse and keyboard but everything does run smoothly.
    Unfortunately there are tons of bugs - not too surprising for such a huge game and no real game-breakers. Just silly, laughable quirks like my horse becoming invisible at certain angles so it looks like I'm floating astride nothing. Sometimes dropped items don't land on the ground but sit three feet above my head, just floating there in space.
    I'm still enjoying it, hence the decent score, but it's just not engaging enough to give it full marks.
  68. Jan 4, 2012
    It is widely accepted between role-playing gamers that the difference between a good and a bad game experience is the amount of freedom the developer decides the player will enjoy: the good guys at Bethesda know it very well, and Skyrim makes no exception in the long tradition of deep and immersive games this software house has developed.

The one of Skyrim is a huge and impressively

The one of Skyrim is a huge and impressively variegated world, where every detail is there on purpose and every story makes sense, at the end of the journey. Just don't believe the haters: they can't stand the fact that this game represents the natural evolution of the happy marriage between role-playing and adventure, and at the same time the starting point of a long, epic and sometimes pleasantly frustrating adventure. Until you get an arrow in the knee, you know.
  69. Jan 6, 2012
    its good lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  70. Jan 15, 2012
    This is one of the best games ever created, and has just raised the bar for openworld action-rpg's to a new impssible height. Dragon age does well, Fallout does well, and so do a lot of other open world games. We had a lot of those in 2011, but this one is the best. The graphics are the best you have seen in a while on PC, the gameplay is fantastic and the amount of content justThis is one of the best games ever created, and has just raised the bar for openworld action-rpg's to a new impssible height. Dragon age does well, Fallout does well, and so do a lot of other open world games. We had a lot of those in 2011, but this one is the best. The graphics are the best you have seen in a while on PC, the gameplay is fantastic and the amount of content just incredible. Take Morrowind and Oblivion times two, plus better graphics, longer and more rewarding gameplay and an amazing amount of detail, and you have Skyrim. And, finally, a game arrives that does dragons right. Each dragon fight, even if you already had a milliion, is epic. The detail in weapons and armor, buildings, enemies, characters and weather conditions was never seen before until Skyrim came along. Expand
  71. Jan 18, 2012
    Best PC RPG game ever. Ignore the bug-gripers; they have dirty systems. And Skyrim will only get better as the mods roll in and the expansion packs arrive. Seriously, coolest game ever.
  72. Jan 18, 2012
    I've played through Oblivion and the two recent Fallouts plus a lot of other solo and multi-player games. So far, Skyrim is the best!

You can wander the beautiful, dramatic hills and valleys, visit the quaint towns and meet the quaint people, follow all or none of the quest lines. You can make a career and a marriage, play any of the numerous races and both genders. You can specialize in melee or ranged or casting, or you can build a character who does it all. You can adopt a companion to watch your back and carry your loot. This is an extremely immersive game that I would highly recommend to those new to the genre. Replay value is high.

You do need to make sure you have the hardware recommended for this game. Don't even think of getting by with the minimum! The graphics are much too good to waste and they'll kill a mediocre system.

Small bugs still exist but you can learn to use the developers console to repair a quest or skip the boring parts. If you get stuck, there are plenty of helpful references free on the Net. My only dissatisfaction was that I didn't feel emotionally connected to any of the NPCs. I think this is because Bethesda didn't use cutscenes to bring me close to a character's face. Witcher II and even the old Half-Life series nailed my feelings better.
  73. Jan 19, 2012
    LOLS all i see here is people putting 0 because there computers are **** and people putting 10 because there computers are. This game is unbelievable and was not a let down(unless you were expecting the most amazing pile of awesomeness). This game is what it was meant to be. CHOICE!
  74. Jan 24, 2012
    Overall, it's your typical RPG. At first it's fun and exciting, but if you're not one to intently follow a story line, and just like to run around killing stuff and trying to level as fast as you can, than it's pointless to play this game really. The storyline, however, is fantastic, and the gameplay itself is really great.
  75. Mar 6, 2012
    No wonder was chosen as Game of The Year. So many stuff to do, I think you can play this game for a year. Superb graphics (with a good video card). Plus the new Steam Workshop, when you can get community made free ad dons to enhance your experience. For me, its a 10.
  76. Mar 22, 2012
    Hands down, the best games I have played in its class to date. The game is well designed and although there are bugs, the game's overall quality is still unparalleled with an enormous quantity of quests and choices.
  77. Apr 27, 2012
    Great: the world design, the attention to details, the character models and animations, the creatures, the sense of adventure and exploration. Good: the quests, the dialogue, the Nords culture and politics, the professions and diversity of builds by perks. Bad: the guilds and their quest lines, the lack of attributes and birthsigns, the lack of racial distinction. Music is divine!
  78. May 10, 2012
    This game is amazing. If you haven't heard of it, you've missed something. But don't worry! That's why you need to buy it and try it. You'll never regret it. The best RPG in a decade!
  79. May 19, 2012
    Skyrim is a wonderful RPG, but many many glitches still permeate the game. While not gamebreaking, these glitches do subtract from the enjoyability of the game. Still, the game does have an exciting storyline and a fun and extremely large amount of sidequests.
  80. May 29, 2012
    I have to break this review into two parts. #1 Pre-modding, and #2 Post Modding. (be sure to read the post-modding part!!)

Pre-modding: 6/10 Cons: 1) The interface was crap for the PC. 2) The item naming was poorly done 3) There were MANY poorly done textures, models of both the 2-D and 3-D. 4) Many models which were supposed to be 3-D were made 2-D etc. etc. 5) DRAGONS... My biggest

Pre-modding: 6/10
    Cons:
    1) The interface was crap for the PC. 2) The item naming was poorly done 3) There were MANY poorly done textures, models of both the 2-D and 3-D. 4) Many models which were supposed to be 3-D were made 2-D etc. etc. 5) DRAGONS... My biggest PEVE!!! They were weak flying lizards that I once beat to death with my bare fists!!!! This was almost a deal-breaker for me! 6) MANY errors in skills, items, game-play etc. 7) many details you wish were in the game but knew they'd just be wishes weren't in the game. 7) decent, but not over-the-top voice acting. They could have used a few more actors in this department.. especially in the common interactions.

Pros: 1) Great music 2) Great Story 3) Awesome Lore depth 4) Respect for the consumer 5) timely updates 6) High level of pre-mod character customization 7) Plenty to explore and open-ended... and the ultimate thing 8) the ability to make your own changes or to use other people's changes MODDING!!!!

Modding leads me into the next part: POST-MODDING

POST MODDING - 10/10!!! every negative in the previous section has been fixed by the players!

Pros: OMG! with everyone out there solving every bug, glitch, error, fixing every plot hole, graphical error, improving textures, models... Making dragons powerful... I cannot say with enough emphasis that the modidng has made this game beyond EPIC. The pure level of customization you can choose is amazing!! New User-interface, new item naming, people add houses, dungeons, animals, fish, fishing, horses, seals on ingots, new hair, better animations, more or less blood, improve all graphics from apples to trees, to the whole world itself, change the lighting to make it more real, new weapons, more food, new spells, better bookshelves.... If you found something/anything irritating, or had a wish for something someone else has had it and made the mod for it, or you can request it. Or by browsing the mods you will find stuff and think... OMG That's an AWESOME IDEA!!! download it and using Nexus it's in the game! Nexus Mod Manager is to this game what Chocolate is to Peanut Butter. I will be playing this game for ages. I put this game as a VERY CLOSE SECOND when compared to my all-time favorite game Ultima 7 parts 1 and 2. You simply cannot go wrong with this game. Modders are already making Castle-Defense, tower Defense mini-games inside the actual game! This game has re-defined the RPG genre
  81. Jun 1, 2012
    i'm still playing this EPIC game since the date of release... and i got to say.... this game is simply EPIC. the history is great, graphics are very good, and you can do anything! Also, is way better than ps3 and xbox360 because of mods! actually there are a LOT of mods to install, items, missions, etc. for me, its a bit better than oblivion. First time, the game has a bunch of annoyingi'm still playing this EPIC game since the date of release... and i got to say.... this game is simply EPIC. the history is great, graphics are very good, and you can do anything! Also, is way better than ps3 and xbox360 because of mods! actually there are a LOT of mods to install, items, missions, etc. for me, its a bit better than oblivion. First time, the game has a bunch of annoying bugs that made the game very hard to play, but now the great BETHESDA are releasing patches, and now the game is almost perfect!!. Simply a masterpiece. waiting for dlc! Expand
  82. Jun 1, 2012
    After having finished the game I can say that this is one of the best game ever. Excellent graphics, compelling story, unlimited freedom and the best, really amazing landscapes. It's a unique game, you could played over and over and it will surprise you like the first time. All in all amazing and REALISTIC.
  83. Jun 1, 2012
    Great game. I enjoyed the immense world, all the story lines and freedom that the elder scroll games offer. I liked Skyrim better then Oblivion. The dragons are just amazing to see and battle. Story lines are great and the vast world of things to discover is just overwhelming. Played it now un till level 48 and still haven't covered half of the places in Skyrim.
  84. Jun 1, 2012
    Awesome game, my favorite of all time. Graphics are stunning and game play is top notch. I love the fact that you can control almost every aspect of the game. The game still has a few bugs even 7 months after release, but they are minor in my opinion.
  85. Jun 30, 2012
    First off, I'm new to The Elder Scrolls. I bought Oblivion a while back off of Steam when it was on sale, and really didn't enjoy it, probably because it was quite a few years old and shared a lot of the same sounds and features of Fallout 3, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had a lot of fun in Skyrim. It piqued my interest in the series quite a bit, and have since read (not played, I know)First off, I'm new to The Elder Scrolls. I bought Oblivion a while back off of Steam when it was on sale, and really didn't enjoy it, probably because it was quite a few years old and shared a lot of the same sounds and features of Fallout 3, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had a lot of fun in Skyrim. It piqued my interest in the series quite a bit, and have since read (not played, I know) the synopsis of all the other Elder Scrolls games. It's not perfect, no game is, but just a lot of fun. I think it deserves a higher score than an 8. Expand
  86. Jul 15, 2012
    awsum game,the graphics of this game is outstanding,thestory has a good begining along with a good ending,the gameplay modes are nice,good options are there
  87. Jul 18, 2012
    For all the breathtaking aesthetic beauty of Bethesda games, I feel they could really take a lesson from Bioware in storytelling and making people come to life. I say this as a huge fan of Bethesda, with Fallout 3 and Morrowind being some of my favourite games of all time. But in games like Knights of the old republic, mass effect, neverwinter nights, Bioware do so much more to enthrallFor all the breathtaking aesthetic beauty of Bethesda games, I feel they could really take a lesson from Bioware in storytelling and making people come to life. I say this as a huge fan of Bethesda, with Fallout 3 and Morrowind being some of my favourite games of all time. But in games like Knights of the old republic, mass effect, neverwinter nights, Bioware do so much more to enthrall you with a storyline, to develop relationships and make you care. The main problem for me in Skyrim is this storyline. Dragons! 15 year old boys may find the idea of battling dragons awesome, but Bethesda can do so much more than this. There's a fine line between generic fantasy games and the more impressive and stylized ones, and I worry that by importing the fantastic trope that is dragons into your game you really only de-value your own concept. Hoist by one's own Petard, as they say. Couple of other things: dungeons. In Oblivion and Morrowind there was variety in what you could find within. In skyrim, you always know it's going to be a sh*t load of Draugr, and if you're bloody lucky, a couple of frostbite spiders. Where did that variety go!? Quests: There are some really fantastic ones, but at times I feel there's a lack of invention. The go get me this item approach to quests only carries you so far. Bethesda needs to innovate rather than play it safe. Combat: Mods are a must for this, but only available to pc users. I really can't see that the combat has improved since oblivion, just evolved in a parallel direction. Still no inbuilt parry system or anything, a shame. But I'm saying these things as someone who loves the elder scrolls, and believes in it. Beautiful game, with loving attention given to its 'Nordic' Lore. What I'm trying to say though is that Bethesda has set its sights on making the ultimate 'immersive' experience; a game where you can do anything, go anywhere, be anyone. But for that to have been truly realised, more attention would have been needed to the depth of the 'being', the 'doing' and so forth. Just because I can go anywhere and do anything, does not mean I will want to if there's inadequate depth to those in-game acts. For me, the answer is making us care more about characters, relationships, be more shocked and gripped by plot. Skyrim calls out for this if only to do justice to the huge effort put into crafting its glorious world. Expand
  88. Aug 5, 2012
    Very good game. Massive in size and content. Visually amazing in parts.

Lacks depth. Lack of connection to enviroment and its people. Completing tasks has no real impact on the lanscape and its contents.

Close but falls short of being a great game.
  89. Aug 20, 2012
    I became bored with Skyrim after about 140 hours. While some may object that it becomes boring after some time, I myself know plenty of games that started to bore me after a FEW hours at most! There is a ton of things to do in Skyrim and while it starts to look all the same after some time, you certainly can't deny that it takes you weeks of real time (140 hours = 35 days/4 hours a day)I became bored with Skyrim after about 140 hours. While some may object that it becomes boring after some time, I myself know plenty of games that started to bore me after a FEW hours at most! There is a ton of things to do in Skyrim and while it starts to look all the same after some time, you certainly can't deny that it takes you weeks of real time (140 hours = 35 days/4 hours a day) till it does.
    Great music, graphics and some storylines, exciting combat... what more could you wish for? Complex magic system in Morrowind style? Never really used it. More complex dialog options? It would help. PC friendly menus? Absolutely.
    Certainly almost everyone will think of something that would be great if added to this game, but come on! There is so much stuff in this game, let's keep it real and say that there is far more than in any other game for a "mere" 50
  90. Aug 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls series since I purchased Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall back in 1996. Daggerfall was my favourite RPG game until last year when I purchased Elderscrolls V: Skyrim which has now become my favourite. The only other Elder Scrolls game I have played is Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind which I found to be tuned to be too easy and I found the dungeons to be too small. For me, Skyrim finally gets things right. The dungeons are not too small (like in Morrowind) or too big (like in Daggerfall) they are just right. So far the dungeons I have cleared have looked different from each other. The quests in this game are a refreshing change from the lame quests I've been doing in MMOs for the past few years. In Skyrim quests are epic, some are like clearing an dungeon to get an item, breaking into someone's well-guarded house to steel a deed for someone, etc. If you let NPCs get you drunk or talk to insane hobos you can end up in crazy places not knowing where you are. There are many plot twists in the quest-lines which keep things interesting. Sure there is the occasional quest where you can collect a pile of 10 bear pelts for someone, but to do that you need to go out in the wilderness and find 10 bears which are not that common so it will take a while and you can choose to ignore it or just collect them as you do other quests and exploration in the wilderness. The world of Skyrim rewards you for exploring the world, you will come across dungeons, witches covens, houses, temples, etc. that are not on your map and meet interesting people along the way. You can talk to most of the people you meet traveling the roads between the cities and some of them will give you quests. And there are no yellow exclamation marks over there heads lol, you just talk to random people and see what they say. It feels like you are playing a character in a real world with real other people. The characters you talk to are all voice acted well, albeit some of the minor characters like guards can be a bit repetitive (hence the "arrow in the knee" meme). This game gives new meaning to open questing. There are questlines you can follow in the game that tell a story and they are epic, the mages guild and thieves guild have their own quest-lines that lets you feel like you are hanging out with magey or theify types playing a character yourself. If you get this game you should get it on PC since this will allow you to download mods for it and use the console to enter cheat codes if you want. The default UI is lousy for a PC but you can download mods to fix it or alternatively you can buy a console-like controller for your PC. I don't use console cheats very often, just for annoying things where you have 50 lock picks and break them all while trying to unlock a master lock, etc. in which case I might give myself more lock picks or just use the cheat code to open the lock. Occasionally, I will save and use the console to enter god mode and just mess around for fun but I always go back and do it properly. After all as my old gym teacher used to say when you did your pushups wrong, "You're only cheating yourself!" if you cheat on a solo game ha ha. But Skyrim has been the best game I've played in a while and it gave me a nice break from my WoW addiction when I quit WoW. If you like rpgs and/or are sick of MMOs then I highly recommend this game. I give it a 10/10. Expand
  91. Oct 28, 2012
    A solid RPG with some of the best graphics to date. However, too easy, even on the hardest difficulty. And that's not even using the shouts, which seemed kind of stupid (and overpowered). Why so many of them?
    Had to use a 360 controller due to keyboard and mouse issues with the game, which is totally absurd. I have a logitech g500 mouse and a corsair k90 keyboard and couldn't even use them, had to go with a gamepad! Unbelievable. The game also crashed regularly, probably once or twice a play session. Quest content, sheer size of the map and options, makes this a worthwhile game, especially if you liked Oblivion. Character levelling was streamlined a bit (dumbed-down), probably to attract a broader audience.
    Overall it has it's ups and downs, it does not live up to the hype due to technical problems, otherwise it could very well be worthy of the critics score here on this site (were it more challenging)
  92. Nov 23, 2012
    I really really really really REALLY want to like this game, but i can't for some reason, I'm serious, the graphics are decent, the music is epic and the world looks very open and fun, but for some reason, i get bored with it, Maybe it's because of the quests, but i'm not sure, I love Bethesda in general, Fallout 3 happens to be one of my favorite game, but skyrim, not really, still, i'veI really really really really REALLY want to like this game, but i can't for some reason, I'm serious, the graphics are decent, the music is epic and the world looks very open and fun, but for some reason, i get bored with it, Maybe it's because of the quests, but i'm not sure, I love Bethesda in general, Fallout 3 happens to be one of my favorite game, but skyrim, not really, still, i've spent a good 30 hours in it and i've had a few moments where i had an absolute blast playing it. Expand
  93. Nov 30, 2012
    It is the greatest and best game in my all,from the time it was unleashed untill now.The too many illustrious elements give me a perfect performance under the awesome worldview.What a good game!
  94. Apr 23, 2014
    While it is a good time killer, its really not much more than that. The gameplay is flat-out dull, unless your using a bow, which is impractical 99% of the time. The voice acting, along with the story, isn't very good. The factions are here, and are rather good, but they have only 5-10 missions per, which is really a disappointment. The UI is pretty bad on PC, and the graphics are good.While it is a good time killer, its really not much more than that. The gameplay is flat-out dull, unless your using a bow, which is impractical 99% of the time. The voice acting, along with the story, isn't very good. The factions are here, and are rather good, but they have only 5-10 missions per, which is really a disappointment. The UI is pretty bad on PC, and the graphics are good. There is plenty of mods keep in mind, but you shouldn't have to mod a game for it to be fun.

5/10. Decent. A good time killer, not much more
  95. Oct 21, 2014
    Like fam you can do well lots wiv dis game its well swell and fun fam a lam. The guards who steal your tasty sweet rolls are bad yeah like the man called alduin who does real bad things like yeah lick sweet rolls and powder in the soul cairn on dawnguard
  96. Dec 25, 2014
    Normally PC games aren't as good as console ones but the elder scroll series is an exception! The base game is near perfect as it is...but with mods available only to pc users any small issues can be smoothed over for a perfectly tailored game for each individual.
  97. Apr 27, 2015
    This game is useless without mods.And they want money for mods now.Greedy bethesda and valve ruined the game.Just avoid.Do not support this corrupted bussiness plan.
  98. Jul 12, 2015
    This game still sets the standard for RPG gaming. Great world, great leveling system and you just want to explore and explore. I hope there will a new offline Elder Scroll game on the market soon.
  99. Aug 21, 2015
    This game is amazing. Very good storyline, replay value, soundtrack etc. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is the glitches because there are so many and at times can be frustrating.

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012