8.2

1. Nov 12, 2011
    i wanted to call it game of the year,
    what i like is that the game difficulty is not set too low and that the enivorment is very detailed, the sounds and the music are nice as well all together a impressive atmosphere. its very small, the download only has a size of 5,8GB.
    i wanted to call it game of the year,

on the other hand, the graphics engine itself is looks very old, when you get closer to anything, all you see is edges, little texture bugs... reminds me on RAGE; same problem.
    the controls of the game are a disaster. SERIOUSLY.

the npc/ai players block your way , the enemy ai gets stuck at random objects.

the mainquest is done very fast, (lvl 11 was enough to finish it) i think i took double the time for oblivion, at the end its just, travel - fight dragon - travel - fight dragon again. AND again... uuuh so creative.
    the secondary quests are fun, also its fun to just ride arround with the horse and let it fall down from high mountains.

its not worth the 49â
  2. Nov 13, 2011
    Everything I could ever want in an RPG. Absolutely stunning visuals, great combat, amazing voice acting and story. This game is the complete package, and a must-buy for any fan of Bethesda RPG's.
  3. Nov 23, 2011
    This game was fun. Graphics, interaction, and just the way you could do things is amazing, but I got bored of it really fast. This would be one of those games that I love for the awesome game play. I think the only thing I absolutely hated about this game was the unbearably dull main story. I played through it once and thought, "I'm not wasting my time on that again." I also did not likeThis game was fun. Graphics, interaction, and just the way you could do things is amazing, but I got bored of it really fast. This would be one of those games that I love for the awesome game play. I think the only thing I absolutely hated about this game was the unbearably dull main story. I played through it once and thought, "I'm not wasting my time on that again." I also did not like the fact of random quest being added by just walking around the streets. I would be walking through a town, and have 10 new quests activated right before my eyes. It was a pain in the butt to get a house too, in order to buy a house, you have to beat half of the main storyline. I think it is a game worth getting, but don't be suprised if you find yourself bored of it within 3 days of beating it. Expand
  4. Nov 30, 2011
    Skyrim doesn't deliver. It's the fifth game in the elder scrolls series, and it still carries almost all the flaws Morrowind and Oblivion had, adding some others on top of them, getting a bit closer to Morrowind in overall quality, but still way far from what we used to experience and what was expected from this game.
    On the technical side, the game is a massive disappointment, with a
    On the technical side, the game is a massive disappointment, with a trainwreck of low res textures and only minor overall improvements on the effects. No one wanted Battlefield 3 quaity, but there's no excuse for the messy squashed low res textures Bethesda put in this game. Everything is blurry and under a green tint. And landscape still looks bad from a distance, like Oblivion. They still haven't managed a good low detail LOD for distant objects - which is ridiculous, after what the modders did with Oblivion. Face models and some animations are better, but not very good.
    The user interface is the worst I've EVER experienced, even the worst console ports are better than this, it cannot be described. Huge areas of wasted space, the inventory has pretty much no filters and everything is vertical with zero horizontal space used.
    Stat system has been streamlined to hell and back, you get to choose between health magicka and stamina, there's a reduced numer of skills and each one has perks, that would have been a good feature if introduced in some other way, but as they are now, they're just the only way to make skills useful since they botched up the skill system: for example, shield blocking is completely useless until you farm the perks for it.
    Equipment, streamlined too. You can only wear one ring, the enchantment system is awful (you learn enchantments by destroying items, then you're restricted to only certain enchantments depending on the item - for example torso pieces of heavy armor can't be enchanted for elemental resists) there are no more upper body and lower body armor (one piece now) no pauldrons, no polearms, no crossbows and all the melee weapons feel the same, you can't even decide to cut,pierce or smash - the attack animation is random and automatic, dealing always the same kind of damage.
    Melee combat is horrible. Two handed users pretty much cannot defend, Sword and shield users move incredibly slow and block no magic damage until you are of high level and managed to farm through the perks. Armor rating under 300 is basically useless. Awkward "finisher" animations pop up at every fight AND YOU CANNOT DODGE HITS! And no mounted combat, again.
    Sneaking is the same as it was in oblivion. Meh.
    Ranged combat is actually useful now, but it still needs mods to make it good.
    But where Skyrim really falls short is in the true RPG component, something that mods cannot fix: it's not a true RPG. There's some VERY RARE good writing, but most of it is pretty subpar and boring. Almost all quests have no choices or neutral paths, you are forced to do things that you do not want to do or to witness events that could be easily avoided and the game pretty much invites you to be a "master of all trades" character, killing the immersion.
    The only area where Skyrim can be considered a good game, is the exploration. There's a lot of content to experience by just exploring - provided you're ready to accept the lack of choices and the mostly average writing.
    Not worth buying.
  5. Dec 11, 2011
    This game don't deserve a 0, but not even a 10. The score must be a 7 so my 0 goes to lower it's score to where it must be if it wasn't for all the hype, fanboys and mindless reviewers.
    What can you find in Skyrim? Ok, it's a better game that oblivion but that's not too much considering oblivion was an absolutely piece of **** Anyway you can find the same crappy combat system (that is, a broken combat system where you can only smash your button waiting for some final movement to appear)
    You can find too the same linear quest as always, when someone says in a review that you have total freedom and that **** they don't tell you that no, you don't have any freedom to make quests. You have freedom to explore, freedom to make the quest at anytime but when you choose to make a quest it must be done in one way (lucky if you have two ways to do one quest). I would prefect to have 100 quest instead of 500 if that 1000 quest had diferent ways to solve them.
    You can find boring NPC too. Npc without any personality that seem more like a quest container than a real character.
    You can find a console menu too. Yes, a console menu in a PC game, with all the funny things of useless navigation and frustating mouse movement.
    You can find a total cliche of story where you are a chosen one because bla, bla, and bla. "chosen one of many" like the bard's tale song says.
    You can find shadows too. No, wait, you can't. Graphics are a joke. I don't care too much graphics in this kind of game but it is funny to read the suposed "good graphisc" of this game where you can light a torch that don't make any shadows or the general shadow of your character seems like a mess of pixels. Not good graphic for the system requirement it needs.
    In one word, it not a bad game, if you liked oblivion this will be the best game ever. But of course, this is not the GOTY.
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    great game and i thought it wouldn't work so good on my laptop because Whitcer 2 didnt work so great, but Skyrim works great even on ultra, and takes little space too compared to many games and im very happy i didnt have to buy new computer just to play it. and the graphics are very good, maybe better in some games but so what?? it works great and i havent gotten into any bugs yet, but igreat game and i thought it wouldn't work so good on my laptop because Whitcer 2 didnt work so great, but Skyrim works great even on ultra, and takes little space too compared to many games and im very happy i didnt have to buy new computer just to play it. and the graphics are very good, maybe better in some games but so what?? it works great and i havent gotten into any bugs yet, but i have to say i would have liked it to be better set up for mouse and keyboard but i have xbox 360 gamepad for pc, but still i wanna play it with mouse and keyboard. it just seems to me that the players who are giving it low have crappy computers or are just trying to be cool by saying its a bad game, its probably the best game i have ever played. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is magnificent, maybe one of the only games that actually worth the 60$ price.
    it is a well made sequel ,enough time has passed from the previous incarnation, which only make it more worthwhile (as opposed to an yearly product "updates" COD, Sports games sims and such).

Its quite different from elder scrols 4, the surroundings are a bit more alive, more npcs interactions u can also use various tools to make ur own weapons and potions.
    This is one of the most realistic recreations of a fantasy world in a game(even more than the witcher) , and the combat is much friendlier to shooter fans (as opposed to witcher one button hit), witcher also have its qualities but its areas that are too small to explore ,alot of backtrackings and its unstablens and crashes hampers it more than anything.
    It does have it strong points though.

well back to skyrim, this game is really recommended it seems to had so much soul poured into it. alot of the recent aaa highly marketed titles seem to lack this, they seem to have factory quality. COD Gears of war halo and the like are like a hollywod popcorn movie and no more.

About the pc "port" the controls are ok a bit mixed up in the menu but ok. In comparison to an mmos this and the witcher and fallout (although i prefer skyrim) are on a league of their own mmos are strapping the rpg genre of all its merits (talking to u wow) in return give u endless grind with the worst social environment u can find.

If u like rpgs and shooters this is for u, it also have magics and puzzles in it which makes it feel a bit like bioshock as well.

it is also such a refreshement after all those titles that "walk u by the hand" (COD and sadly BF3 , one of the best multi shooters, shame on u for implemnting those "interactive" cutscenes, not everything needs interaction).

Oh if u dont have alot of time dont even start it :) it is that good. if there ever going to be a virtual reality machine this is the first on the line for it. elder scrolls 10 Hologram Edition :).
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    it has the feel of oblivion but few of the flaws. amazing game.
  9. Nov 12, 2011
    If you want to enjoy this game on the PC than buy an Xbox 360 wireless control with USB receiver and hook your pc up to your TV. It is obvious the interface was designed for consoles. The mouse & keyboard controls are fine but feel odd because the interface wasn't designed for it.
  10. Nov 12, 2011
    First off, I want to say I'm having tons of fun with this game. But I'm only giving it a seven because the developers promised so much more and came short on everything. They promised that the combat would be skill based and not a button mashing combat system. That was a lie. You click till they're dead. I've been using 2 handed weapons that supposedly do 3 times the damage of theFirst off, I want to say I'm having tons of fun with this game. But I'm only giving it a seven because the developers promised so much more and came short on everything. They promised that the combat would be skill based and not a button mashing combat system. That was a lie. You click till they're dead. I've been using 2 handed weapons that supposedly do 3 times the damage of the single handed weapons I have. And the 1 handed weapons seem to do about 1-2 damage less. It's so stupid. Also, they said the animations would be better, they are and they aren't. The animations by themselves are fine. But none of them interact with each other. Also, there's STILL no diagonal run animation. It's 2011 Bethesda, please move forward at a normal pace. And don't try to get by doing the same stuff you did last time. Update the engine with every release, and by that I mean make big changes that make a difference and not adding "slo-mo" and making the same washed out textures for all the games they make. And by that I mean the game kind of looks like ass. But that's to be expected out of a game they explicitly said would have the 360 as the lead platform. Oh and, the UI is total ass. The worst from any game I've ever played. Expand
  11. Nov 12, 2011
    Very good game, haven't found any major bugs yet ad i use a Xbox controller so the controls are fine. The graphics are great if your pc is powerful enough. if you like fallout or any of the old elder scrolls games this is a must buy.
  12. Nov 12, 2011
    With a game this big it's impossible to keep everyone happy. There are the people who want freedom in an open world setting who then moan because they don't know what to do or feel that "there isn't a story" amongst all the lore that has been shoe-horned in to the game. Perhaps they need the main story in capital letters to make it more obvious...
    Others complain and give it zero out of
    Others complain and give it zero out of ten because they think that it looks crap since there are a few blurry textures or nothing happens at times or even that the odd bug pops up. Guess what people - it's a massive open world game. The sheer amount of detail more than makes up for a slightly blurry patch of rock or grass and the size of the map dictates that you need to travel large distances so at times the action takes a back seat to exploring or talking to the many locals. Anyone who thinks that a game as complex as this can be without bugs (many of which I admit were in the last couple of Bethesda games) is deluding themselves.
    If you get bored easily because you might have to read a book to get information on a quest or thought that you were getting a dragon-fest hack and slash game then more fool you. Go play Call Of Duty and let the big boys have a game that has depth and value for money.
    I feel I've only just scratched the surface of this game and yet it surpasses Oblivion in every way so far. It looks great, sounds great and plays like a dream with better combat and more options on how to approach quests than before. Especially in the dungeons.
    My only real issue with the game is a fairly big one though. The menu system has yet again been designed for console and has not been sufficiently changed to fit in with PC gaming. The favourites idea for the quick changes of many weapons is a good idea but in practice has been implemented atrociously, as have some of the menus. Being forced to press enter at times, even though you clicked on something similar just before with your mouse is sloppy and stops the menu system ever feeling fluid.
    Bethesda have taken a lot of notice of their fans from Oblivion and implemented some neat touches and of course, as I said, are never going to keep everybody happy, but I must give it points off for the terrible menus. Even so, it's a great game so far with plenty of hours of gameplay and well worth anyone's cash.
    On a final note - people are even comparing this game to The Witcher 2 and saying the graphics of Skyrim are terrible compared to it. The Witcher 2 (a game that I love incidentally) is broken into small areas that have to be loaded into memory each time you move from one place to another so of course they can get more graphical fidelity in those areas. You would need a super computer to run Skyrim at the same graphical quality given the size of the lands and the draw distance involved.
    So there you go...not quite in a nut-shell but if I have offended you with my opinions you should see the ones I keep to myself. :)
  13. Nov 12, 2011
    If you're having issues with the game crashing:

1. Set your audio to 24 bit, 44.1Hz
    2. Be sure you have the latest graphics card drivers
    3. On the main menu, go to Data Files and turn on "Load Loose Files".
  14. Nov 12, 2011
    Para mim, talvez esse seja o melhor jogo do ano... ou se não de todos os tempos... O jogo realmente é bom e te poem dentro de um mundo antes inexistente, já joguei cerca de 15horas e pretendo ficar muito mais, minha vida social acabou com skyrim kkkkkk...
  15. Nov 13, 2011
    To be honest, my first impressions were rather average. However, from about five minutes in, it got steadily better. The huge amounts of detail are like nothing I've ever seen. From the insects crawling over a tree stump, to foxes hunting rabbits, giant spiders hunting deer, and the distant roars of dragons, the world feels so much more alive than any previous game. Sure, the graphicsTo be honest, my first impressions were rather average. However, from about five minutes in, it got steadily better. The huge amounts of detail are like nothing I've ever seen. From the insects crawling over a tree stump, to foxes hunting rabbits, giant spiders hunting deer, and the distant roars of dragons, the world feels so much more alive than any previous game. Sure, the graphics aren't revolutionary, but they are certainly good enough to not detract from the experience. Now, the game isn't perfect, and the AI does some stupid things that remind me of Oblivion (for example, going back to sitting by a campfire shortly after your friend has been shot by an arrow), and there are a few bugs here and there (not sure what some reviewers are seeing though, I've only had one minor glitch so far). It is by far the best game I've ever played. Expand
  16. Nov 13, 2011
    Many here will compain about features that don't even seem to be negative, the combat functions brilliantly, the visuals aren't incredible, but they are still attractive. Compared to most Bethesda games I found relatively few bugs. This game is borderline perfection, it's not without it's flaws and inbalances; but it's a sandbox game, and it's recently released, it'll get better.
  17. Nov 14, 2011
    Since it was first announced I was very pessimistic about Skyrim after the dry taste Oblivion left in my mouth, having to return to Morrowind to make myself feel good again about the state of the Elder Scrolls. Since then I avoided all media and news related to it, besides the negative rumours such as it still using Gamebryo, etc. I got suckered into getting it with a friend and afterSince it was first announced I was very pessimistic about Skyrim after the dry taste Oblivion left in my mouth, having to return to Morrowind to make myself feel good again about the state of the Elder Scrolls. Since then I avoided all media and news related to it, besides the negative rumours such as it still using Gamebryo, etc. I got suckered into getting it with a friend and after grudgingly starting it, I realized it was early morning and I had put aside nearly all my work for that day. I was blown away by literally everything that I saw, it felt like a return to my favourite Morrowind and more. I lost myself in the landscape and sounds of Skyrim, while thinking to myself if this was actually a real game. I've only done the very intro quests to the main storyline and since then I have spent about 16 hours only in and around the area of Whiterun and Riften. I'm so glad that Bethesda got past the trend it was having with Oblivion and Fallout 3, I'm very confident that I will be playing Skyrim for a long time especially when mods show up. I was also completely blown away by the game's low size and requirements for such a full and gorgeous game. Expand
  18. Nov 25, 2011
    10/10. Terrific graphics!! Terrific gameplay!! Terrific Puzzles and story!! No crashes!! Movement as smooth as silk. Amazing that such a huge game with so much data and information can play so well. Feel like looking everywhere and searching everything. This is a CLASSIC. This is a Game of the Year without competition. I'm using an Intel i72600k@3.8ghz, Zotac GTX 580 AMP, Gskill 8gb memory10/10. Terrific graphics!! Terrific gameplay!! Terrific Puzzles and story!! No crashes!! Movement as smooth as silk. Amazing that such a huge game with so much data and information can play so well. Feel like looking everywhere and searching everything. This is a CLASSIC. This is a Game of the Year without competition. I'm using an Intel i72600k@3.8ghz, Zotac GTX 580 AMP, Gskill 8gb memory and an Asus Republic of gamers MB and it was worth getting this new PC just for this game which of course I didn't but it does it justice. Expand
  19. Dec 24, 2011
    I'd like to give this game an 8/10 but I can't help but see that an amazing number of users are giving this a 0/10 simply to offset the good scores. This game isn't perfect as the critics rave, but it is still amazing. I could go on and repeat everything that has already been said, but it would just feel too redundant. The Elder Scrolls franchise defines single-player RPG's, and Skyrim isI'd like to give this game an 8/10 but I can't help but see that an amazing number of users are giving this a 0/10 simply to offset the good scores. This game isn't perfect as the critics rave, but it is still amazing. I could go on and repeat everything that has already been said, but it would just feel too redundant. The Elder Scrolls franchise defines single-player RPG's, and Skyrim is no exception. Huge world, many play-styles, beautiful scenery, and entertaining quests are among a few of the high points for this game. Sure, there are bugs, but that is to be expected from a Bethesda game. Mods for PC users fix most problems and will improve the game. While this may be the closest thing to a console port in TES's history, it doesn't make this a bad game. Anyone with sense will know that while this game may have it's flaws, it is still a fantastic experience. Expand
  20. Jan 5, 2012
    Skyrim is, as many have pointed out, a buggy game. The plot isn't very innovative, and it didn't even have to be, they could have just made it a bit more believeable. The conflicts between the Empire and the Stormcloaks seems basically to be based around "we don't like eachother", and the main antagonist is a dragon that wants to destroy the world for no particular reason.

Skyrim could

Skyrim could have been so much better if they wouldn't have rushed it out, there are numerous quest bugs and some of the gameplay is really frustrating at times. While the scenery is beautiful, you sometimes can't seem to escape the fact that the engine feels dated. The entire game seems based upon going to dungeons that are suitably claustrophobic for the game engine (although not always, to be fair) and fetching object X to progress the story.

If you're aiming for an immersive single player experience, you shouldn't build it around quests that seem more like taken from World of Warcraft. The Fallout 3 and New Vegas games were a lot more immersive with a lot smaller game world, even if they also suffer from the same syndrome of having an absolutely horrible main quest.

In short, if you enjoyed Fallout 3, Oblivion and all the other games based on essentially the same engine, you'll like this. It's worth the money, but I don't think it deserves much better than a 5 seeing as how the whole franchise seems to degenerate and Bethesda seems to be phoning it in with increased frequency.
  21. upi
    Dec 24, 2013
    This is not really a "review", more like a warning label. Please regard it as such.
    For anyone downloading this game and expecting to play: don't. I did, and was rewarded by having to sit on a carriage for 14 minutes listening to an infodump-style exposition with name after name after name. I was unable to move. Then I was treated to watching an execution. Then I was told to climb some stairs and found that my character could not do that.
    I'm sure there are those who say that this was a rewarding experience, or that I should wait to earn actually playing. Good for you. For those who are like me and want a game that one can actually play from the start: forget Skyrim. Score ZERO.
  22. May 25, 2016
    This is very good gameplay but it has bad influence to people.
    It gives subconscious demonic messages it has names of real life demons to game gods or game humans that you
    This is very good gameplay but it has bad influence to people.
    interact with, also the name dragonborn what does it really mean, it is refering to antichrist ,who will show himself as a saviour (but the truth is that he cant even save himself),so the dragonborn ingame is the saviour of skyrim from the dragons.
    weapons and armor that you wear and use in game have the 666 on them if you look carefully also many other demonic symbols in artfacts buildings doors everywhere ,necklaces and many other things
    its not the first time i see this in a game but i think bethesda is gone too far with it
    bethesda you could make this game the best ever ,but no you had to put all this demonic stuff in it and make us discuss with your evilness.
    I TOTALLY DONT RECOMMEND THIS GAME ESPECIALLY FOR CHILDREN UNDER 20 YEARS OLD I REGRET BUYING THIS GAME i feel ive been decieved
    heres some videos i found in youtube about this matter you should check them out
  23. Nov 13, 2011
    This game definitely has its flaws: magic that doesn't scale well, a clumsy UI (use a 360 controller if you have one -- it's much better), and its fair share of bugs, to name a few. But it is also, without doubt, the most ambitious, beautiful, and detailed game I've ever played. By comparison, Oblivion is downright bland. The world is full of hidden nooks and crannies and quests andThis game definitely has its flaws: magic that doesn't scale well, a clumsy UI (use a 360 controller if you have one -- it's much better), and its fair share of bugs, to name a few. But it is also, without doubt, the most ambitious, beautiful, and detailed game I've ever played. By comparison, Oblivion is downright bland. The world is full of hidden nooks and crannies and quests and fun things to discover. It's honestly overwhelming. It's hard to imagine how even a large team could have created something like this in 3 years...and it's hard to imagine that Bethesda will manage to ever top this. I don't disagree that there are nits to pick here, but if you're focusing on nitpicking rather than killing dragons, picking flowers, catching butterflies, delving into dwemer ruins, hunting elk, and checking out the aurora over Whiterun, you have no soul. Expand
  24. Nov 14, 2011
    I have played all of the previous elder scrolls, and Skyrim if a fine addition. One of the most engrossing games, I've ever played, the combat feels fresh. I'm always busy, and drowned with quests. Never do i stop. Sitting here, and writing this review, only makes me want to get back in Skyrim. Environments are beautiful, and the skies looks gorgeous. Characters are vivid, and monstersI have played all of the previous elder scrolls, and Skyrim if a fine addition. One of the most engrossing games, I've ever played, the combat feels fresh. I'm always busy, and drowned with quests. Never do i stop. Sitting here, and writing this review, only makes me want to get back in Skyrim. Environments are beautiful, and the skies looks gorgeous. Characters are vivid, and monsters fights are tense. I've experienced few glitches, but it doesn't detract anything from the game. Rarely does a game such as this come by, a MUST PLAY. Expand
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty good game, if you like hack 'n slash or dungeon crawlers but don't like in-depth character customization or RPG elements. The storyline is good, the combat is great, and everything is simple.

Unfortunately, the game is really easy (even on master, I hit a wall around level 20-25, but once I got past that I haven't found anything really challenging and can solo named dragons without trouble).

*spoiler*The guild quests are way too simple and streamlined. One "entry" quest that takes 5 minutes to do and requires little to no effort, then you're in and everyone trusts you.The mage college quest was literally two quest lines, then you're the arch-mage.*/spoiler*

If you're looking for a fun action-RPG with a decent storyline, this is the game for you. If you want an in-depth RPG with a lot of customization and great side-quests, hundreds of hours of play, etc., you may want to look elsewhere.

All in all, Skyrim is to Oblivion what Oblivion was to Morrowind. Streamlined, features taken out, nothing really added except a new storyline, and turned easy. Still very fun for what it is, but don't buy it thinking that it's something else.
  26. Nov 16, 2011
    This is a good game and in some ways, a great game: sweeping vistas, epic music and sound-scape, coherent storyline and the scope of the game, the sheer immersion and *size* of it all, is truly staggering. Items that are eye candy clutter in other games... cooking pots, whetstones, mills, smelters, furnaces, are actually functional in Skyrim! This represents a significant advance overThis is a good game and in some ways, a great game: sweeping vistas, epic music and sound-scape, coherent storyline and the scope of the game, the sheer immersion and *size* of it all, is truly staggering. Items that are eye candy clutter in other games... cooking pots, whetstones, mills, smelters, furnaces, are actually functional in Skyrim! This represents a significant advance over other Bethesda games like the earlier Eldar Scrolls series or ever the sprawling Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Kudos for that.......

...The gameplay is very good. Not great, but I can live with very good. Combat in The Witcher 2, for example, is far more sophisticated and visceral whereas Skyrim's combat mechanics are a bit ordinary. Not bad, just ordinary......

...However there is one aspect which is a major step back: companions in Skyrim are characterless cyphers. little more that cannon fodder for carrying your stuff around, whose names you will have difficulty remembering. Unlike Fallout 3 or New Vegas, there are no real character quests, nothing more that generic personality and, most inexplicable, more clunky controls than the character wheel used by Bethesda in Fallout New Vegas. Oh the the AI is *horrible*... they run in front of you when you take a bow shot, they are hard to push out of the way when they trap you in a corner or block a doorway and the accursed dog 'companion' pushes against you constantly and nudged me off a cliff once. I am sure mod makes will make *vastly* better companions than the vanilla ones but in such a detailed, immersion intensive game, this trivialisation of NPC companions is a strange design decision.......

...So I like this game and, yes, it *is* buggy, but with anything this big that is inevitable. Bethesda will fix it eventually and compared to Fallout 3/NV, it seems a bit less bug riddled. That said, I suddenly CTD with no error message at least once an hour. Oh well.......

...7/10... would be 8/10 is companions were not so completely uninteresting.
  27. Nov 18, 2011
    In the week I have had this game I have played over 30 hours! I still haven't completed the main quest and I am loving it. The new leveling system is really nice and all the perks seem to "perk" my interest. Even the skills I wasn't going to level up, I want to level up due to the cool perks! I know the graphics are not ultra crazy but I am happy with the gameplay and to me that's whatIn the week I have had this game I have played over 30 hours! I still haven't completed the main quest and I am loving it. The new leveling system is really nice and all the perks seem to "perk" my interest. Even the skills I wasn't going to level up, I want to level up due to the cool perks! I know the graphics are not ultra crazy but I am happy with the gameplay and to me that's what count's. Especially when modders can "upgrade" the graphics with the addition of the Creation Kit. This will consume most of my free time for a long long long time! I can't wait for MERP! Middle Earth Roleplay Project! Everyone check out this mod they are porting to Skyrim! 10/10! Long live Skyrim ;-) Expand
  28. Nov 19, 2011
    This is the best RPG game I have ever played. The world is really alive, 100+ unique quests and locations, amazing graphics... This is Game Of The Year
  29. Nov 20, 2011
    the environments are incredible and truly organic, the characters... well they're better than the ones in oblivion hahaha but the gameplay is much more refined this time around, the weather effects are great and the world is massive and varied. i would recommend it to anyone
  30. Nov 20, 2011
    Combines the best elements of Oblivion and the Fallout 3 series with even better graphics, even more interesting AI, even more robust quests, a much more stable game (I've never crashed, not even once!), and a strong central story that, while you're free to go exploring in the sandbox, the intrigue of the story pulls you in and makes you want to go to the next location for the primaryCombines the best elements of Oblivion and the Fallout 3 series with even better graphics, even more interesting AI, even more robust quests, a much more stable game (I've never crashed, not even once!), and a strong central story that, while you're free to go exploring in the sandbox, the intrigue of the story pulls you in and makes you want to go to the next location for the primary story arc.

I find the magic system somewhat disappointing because it's not as flexible as that from previous games; I feel like we missed out on the ability to create any spell effect at any strength with any of the casting modes (sustained, bolt, PBAoE, cloak, rune, just to name a few). It would be amazing to be able to create a Master level spell that combines sustained lightning and sustained flames :)

But, the Magic system is my ONLY gripe, and only a slight one at that. The entire face of the Elder Scrolls series has changed, here; it plays a lot more like a combination of Fallout 3 and Mass Effect than Oblivion, except for the sandbox world. But now we have cinematic mini-cutscenes that occur sometimes when you (or even NPCs!) get the killing blow on enemies, which is awesome.

BethSoft has done something rather surprising: they have put out a game with enough depth and complexity to satisfy the die-hard PC gamers who love to tweak stats and explore every last corner of a huge, open world; and they've also crafted a cohesive, grappling story that is strong enough that casual gamers can pretty much follow the mission markers that gently guide you from one primary quest to the next, without exploring. So depending on the player style, you can play this game as if it were as non-linear as Morrowind or Oblivion (almost! -- the magic system!), or you can play it as if it were a fantasy rendition of the cinematic, movie-like Mass Effect 2, and never stray from the linear path. It's your choice.

I don't usually rate things a 10, but man, this game is going to keep me entertained for a long time. It deserves a strong 10 because I can't think of any other game in history that does what Skyrim does, quite as well as it does it. This game will raise the bar for all future RPGs.
  31. Nov 20, 2011
    One of the best RPG games ever, it's nice that Bethesda really made it so awesome! Obviously, Skyrim is the game of the year. I wish, BioWare will ever make such masterpiece
  32. Nov 20, 2011
    YOU know what happen when you fell in love with a game? Its when you keep playing it even when you cant anymore. So good is this game, I just fell in love with this game, and I usually don't do that.
    The few games that made so much impact on me was half life 1-2, portal 1-2, Dota2, and this game
  33. Nov 21, 2011
    Gameplay: 9 - Amazing. The Spell system and ability to quickly change weapons through the press of a single button allow the combat of Skyrim to be extremely satisfying. Enemies are tough, taking a great deal of hits before going down, making the moment when you kill that troll or dragon all the better. The conversation system is also engrossing. Being able to influence characters'Gameplay: 9 - Amazing. The Spell system and ability to quickly change weapons through the press of a single button allow the combat of Skyrim to be extremely satisfying. Enemies are tough, taking a great deal of hits before going down, making the moment when you kill that troll or dragon all the better. The conversation system is also engrossing. Being able to influence characters' opinions of you through dialogue makes the world of Skyrim feel more real.
    Story: 8 - Great. Skyrim's story is interesting, yet fairly simple. Dragons are back, you need to stop them. Only you can stop them, because you are the Dragonborn. You kill a lot of monsters and people to save the world. Even so, you care about certain characters, and many points in the story are interesting and entertaining.
    Graphics: 10 - Perfect. Skyrim looks amazing. The world looks real, and even the mystical becomes possible. The level of detail available in the Character Creation is impressive (you have more options than the Sims), allowing you to choose the level of dirt on your character's face, along with the expected nose options. Since this system is also used on the NPCs, no two characters looks alike, and every character looks alive.
    Sound: 9 - Amazing. The theme is stirring, it prepares you for battle. Every level is accompanied by warrior chants. The background music is rare, but this serves only to allow deeper immersion.
    Overall: 9 - Amazing. With great combat and intriguing dialogue, this is a contender for Game of the Year, but is held back by its many bugs.
  34. Nov 23, 2011
    Skyrim is a rich world filled to the brim with content to explore. At first I felt guilty to fast travel, walking around and checking out the sites was awesome. The graphics aren't over the top, but the atmosphere immerses you into a living, breathing world. The quests are enjoyable, I don't want to put down any potential spoilers, but I'm already deciding how I would like to play throughSkyrim is a rich world filled to the brim with content to explore. At first I felt guilty to fast travel, walking around and checking out the sites was awesome. The graphics aren't over the top, but the atmosphere immerses you into a living, breathing world. The quests are enjoyable, I don't want to put down any potential spoilers, but I'm already deciding how I would like to play through the next time I play through it.

Now for the reasons I won't rate this game a 10. The menus feel uninspired, like they were designed to be more streamlined but it gets annoying to scroll through a list that can only be sorted alphabetically. There is much potential with companion AI, but as it stands it feels pretty outdated. Having some tactical options would be nice. There are a few game breaking bugs that are ridiculous. The worst one I've encountered is the shield perk "Quick Reflexes" would put the game into slow motion, but would never get back to normal speed, the only solution that worked for me was removing the perk with a console command. As big as Skyrim is, it's kind of a shame how shallow certain features are like cooking and home decorating. I know I'm not expecting Animal Crossing here, but it would be nice to choose what I want in my house instead of stuffing hundreds of dragon bones in an end table and my pile of un-enchanted weapons in a burlap sack. The crafting is alright. I kinda wish there was something you'd do other than click create to make things though. It also makes you feel unaccomplished crafting a few hundred iron daggers and getting smithing leveled to 100 for it, that's just too easy.

The bugs, at least the major game breaking ones, will most likely be fixed rather soon. Unfortunately the other stuff is most likely left to the modders. Still, I think a game boils right down to how fun it is, and this surely does not disappoint.
  35. Nov 23, 2011
    My main gripe, just like in every other Bethesda game I've played, is the low quality of NPC facial expressions and character development. All the NPCs just stare at you as if they're zombies as they talk.

The NPC personalities are wooden, one-dimensional, and there isn't any personal satisfaction to be gained from interacting with them. It's as if Bethesda hates writing, personal relationships, and drama---as if it was their C programmer that had to write the dialogue instead of an actual writer.

Nevertheless, compared to the other Elder Scroll games, Skyrim has added features that make it possible to live with this fundamental Bethesda flaw. Chiefly: zoom out! I can finally play in true 3rd person mode almost the entire game. If I zoom out enough, the facial expressions are blurred out enough that if the voice acting is OK, my imagination can fill in the rest. So, for the first time for me, playing a Bethesda game is actually not revolting!

At least on high settings, the world itself is beautiful (butterflies and beetles receive more loving graphics treatment than human faces), so I'm not sure what the others are complaining about as far as the environmental graphics. Technically, the engine is impressive in how fast it renders given the number of polygons here. Exploring the world genuinely is fun (otherwise the game would have gotten a 3/10 from me).

It is true that melee combat feels like a 1990s Gold Box D&D game. But magic and archery are really well done. If you restrict yourself to magic and archery, you will have fun in combat.
  36. Nov 26, 2011
    Finally a game I've been anticipating for a long time doesn't disappoint me and, in fact, surpasses my initial expectations. Incredible game, a TON of content, engaging story and amazing gameplay choices. WARNING: Will cause sleep deprivation.
  37. Dec 2, 2011
    When I first started this game I was like **** 10/10... as I progressed through further, I started noticing lots of bugs, a sincere lack of momentum in plot (lots of forgettable gopher quests). About half way through the game I realized that none of the stats matter. The game is so damn easy anyone can beat any mission pretty much with any character set up. I found the AI challenge to beWhen I first started this game I was like **** 10/10... as I progressed through further, I started noticing lots of bugs, a sincere lack of momentum in plot (lots of forgettable gopher quests). About half way through the game I realized that none of the stats matter. The game is so damn easy anyone can beat any mission pretty much with any character set up. I found the AI challenge to be as rewarding as shooting fish in a barrel. If you turn up the difficulty your health drops so fast that you have to pause every 5 seconds and drink 8 health potions. Very little room for role-playing beyond deciding what cool armor you want to wear. Dialogue especially of wandering NPC's gets so annoyingly repetative the only thing they're missing is a pullstring when u walk by. Did I mention there's no story nor do your choices have any effect on the outcome? You're pretty much just killing mindless ragdolls and calling yourself the Dragonborn somehow imagining that quests you did/didn't do are going to make a difference. When you complete a quest NPC's go on talking about it over and over again til you want to **** kill everyone. This game sucks. Some of the reviews I've read on it are extremely questionable. But then again I was totally hot for it the first week so I'll shut up. Expand
  38. Dec 9, 2011
    Bethesda, as always, make a great game with many bugs. It's so strange that a game with so many bugs is also so great! Honestly, I never had many bugs with the game, maybe I was lucky. Now with patch 1.3 things are also better.
    I suggest to everyone to make this experience! This game is infinite. You have realy many many things to do and the main story is much better than that of Oblivion.
    After the disappointment of Dragon Age 2, I was feared that also this could disappoint me, but I was happily wrong :) Buy it!
  39. Dec 27, 2011
    This game has so much inside of it. You get your money's worth. My only grief is that out of (apparently) no where the game will lag to an unplayable level. This can be fixed the first time by fast travelling to another location (or going to a load screen). After the first time it becomes more frequent until you have to restart the game. Apparently this issue has been recognized byThis game has so much inside of it. You get your money's worth. My only grief is that out of (apparently) no where the game will lag to an unplayable level. This can be fixed the first time by fast travelling to another location (or going to a load screen). After the first time it becomes more frequent until you have to restart the game. Apparently this issue has been recognized by bethesda and they are working on it. Setting my graphics lower increases the amount of time it takes for this glitch to appear again. I would recommend waiting to buy this game until it's on sale (I got it on a steam holiday sale). When everything is smooth I will enjoy this game all the more. I am very pleased with this game, I would recommend getting the nexus mod manager and getting some of the top mods for this notably "acceleration layer." Check out skyrim nexus for more details. Expand
  40. Jan 9, 2012
    I love my PC version of Oblivion. It's modded to hell and back and still gets a lot of my time. However, there are niggling issues with that game that I hoped would be resolved in Skyrim. Alas, they haven't. ....... Combat is still clunky and unbalanced, dialogue is awful, the UI is appalling, quests are linear and forgetful, the game engine (Gamebryo not 'Creation'!) is as buggy and weakI love my PC version of Oblivion. It's modded to hell and back and still gets a lot of my time. However, there are niggling issues with that game that I hoped would be resolved in Skyrim. Alas, they haven't. ....... Combat is still clunky and unbalanced, dialogue is awful, the UI is appalling, quests are linear and forgetful, the game engine (Gamebryo not 'Creation'!) is as buggy and weak as ever, and the animations in the game are 2004-spec. What's more, this is a very weak port from X360, with very little effort made to optimise it for PC users (DX9? Really?)........ The music and sound, however, are VERY strong, the world is well realised (Bethesda actually had art direction this time!), and the allure of the big open gamespace is as strong as ever. Dragons are fun, if easy to kill and repetitive. Dragon-shouts differentiate the PC from the NPCs, which is important. These are the plus points, but there should really have been more........... Besthesda are not pushing themselves. Oblivion 1.5 is nice, but where's the innovation, guys? Deep inside i'll always know that this is not yet the RPG I know this dev can make.......... Next time- get a new engine (a REAL, new engine), redesign combat entirely, come up with decent stealth mechanics, hire new writers and build a better connection between the game world and the people that inhabit it (better AI, animations etc.). Because as much as I love the Elder Scrolls, I can't pretend forever that this isn't a bit of a mess. -Loco Expand
  41. Jan 16, 2012
    As expected, the developers are very densely filled with not very large map. The results are impressive. In the course of assignments we get dozens of temples, caves and castles, learn about the many characters, both important for the Dragon Reach, and with ordinary citizens. For performing tasks you do not get experience, but you will not the less valuable gold, jewelry, armor, orAs expected, the developers are very densely filled with not very large map. The results are impressive. In the course of assignments we get dozens of temples, caves and castles, learn about the many characters, both important for the Dragon Reach, and with ordinary citizens. For performing tasks you do not get experience, but you will not the less valuable gold, jewelry, armor, or weapons. Speaking of the latter: in the game a great set. Starting from the normal that a player can make himself, and the last registered. Expand
  42. Feb 9, 2012
    I'm extremely dissapointed by the large number of people who feel the need to explain how they feel console ports kill "gaming in their reviews of this game based upon the UI alone. Yes its different. and yes it, as is, lends itself to the gamepad very well, but its not terrible, its just different. Yes the games is missing a few key components for a mouse and keyboard player (1-10 keysI'm extremely dissapointed by the large number of people who feel the need to explain how they feel console ports kill "gaming in their reviews of this game based upon the UI alone. Yes its different. and yes it, as is, lends itself to the gamepad very well, but its not terrible, its just different. Yes the games is missing a few key components for a mouse and keyboard player (1-10 keys Bethesda... c'mon) but nothing that would be considered a deal breaker. The graphics are not as people say less impressive than the HD texture pack for oblivion, it probably just seems like it to them because they can run oblivion on ultra and the sheer magnitude of shadows and moving plant-life in skyrim is probably more than teir pcs can handle. The main story line is decent, not spectacular (just like every other Elder Scrolls game), but the various in game guilds have excellent story lines to them, seeing as the two take up a similar amount of gameplay, i personally feel that this balances out. I bought the game release day and have never experienced a single crash (all settings maxed out) but i have had a few grapical bugs, usually involving entering towns, that were fixed upon reloading my previous save so yet again, i have a feeling that a lot of these negative reviews based upon graphics and crashes were people playing on inferior systems or with outdated drivers who tried to over-reach what settings they're capable of playing this game on. Expand
  43. Feb 24, 2012
    There's a lot to like in Skyrim. The world is huge and pretty, the music is fantastic, and there's a ton of content. The leveling and skill system is much improved from Oblivion. On the negative side, the game suffers from random glitches. Switching between items and skills is very clunky. Allowing hotkeys for switching would have made the game play a lot more smoothly. The combat isThere's a lot to like in Skyrim. The world is huge and pretty, the music is fantastic, and there's a ton of content. The leveling and skill system is much improved from Oblivion. On the negative side, the game suffers from random glitches. Switching between items and skills is very clunky. Allowing hotkeys for switching would have made the game play a lot more smoothly. The combat is only so-so, and not really improved from Oblivion. Overall, I feel like it's a good but flawed game. Expand
  44. Feb 25, 2012
    Very good game, rich in gameplay, tons of dungeons, beautiful world. The only thing i can complain is the very very boring combat system, Bethesda could have done better next time. Also, a few stunning cinematic for the story is not bad too. =)
  45. Mar 21, 2012
    How to rate a game like this? I have thousands of hours on Bethesda games since Morrowind. I'm about 2/3 - 3/4 through Skyrim; didn't buy it until patch 1.4 was out and the CK was supposed to be released. It is so difficult interacting with Steam for updates, patches, etc. I have over 3000 saves because of my experiences with FO3 and FNV, but no CTDs, which is absolutely amazing. Bad: 1.How to rate a game like this? I have thousands of hours on Bethesda games since Morrowind. I'm about 2/3 - 3/4 through Skyrim; didn't buy it until patch 1.4 was out and the CK was supposed to be released. It is so difficult interacting with Steam for updates, patches, etc. I have over 3000 saves because of my experiences with FO3 and FNV, but no CTDs, which is absolutely amazing. Bad: 1. Steam adds a lot of overhead.Wants to get in the game of mod provider but really buggy and poorly organized (impossible really). Can only subscribe to games - can't track them, downloads a title with an empty file (for weeks still empty). Uses different titles than the the actual file name. Nexus the other site (British ex post facto rules). If you get kicked, no place to go, no warnings (3 strikes BS) and no defense from some kid moderator. Every single reviewer here could be kicked without warning for being honest or true to his beliefs. Without the mods, the game is a 1 or less, because this is where it is fixed and made playable. This is where good ideas come from and many ideas get incorporated into future Bethesda games. 2. Some really interesting quests (mostly) but many are still broken. And some boring quests. But, I guess it would be amazing if not for your interests just being quashed by a broken quest.
    3. I can't believe that Bethesda is still working on MSoft ActiveX 9. The UI is pretty bad for the PC. 4. It's also amazing that the recommended hardware or PC setup was not supported. 5. Game play is not uniform. At L20 the game play was pretty fair. You had to play smart and then you run into a Boss who hits you with spells every couple of seconds that take 62 health/second and 62 stamina/second and 62 magicka/second AND they all stack. The only way to defeat this Boss is by an AI trick or bug. By L40, if you have a smart build, No NPC can damage you more than a few per cent. By level 50, you have basically become invincible -- gOD mode. Ex. One-handed sword: base damage 677 + 93 enchants x 6 or 7 (sneak). The UI is so bad that you have to dump all your gear into a chest (unsorted, not even alphabetical) to use the enchant or smith potion. You have 30 seconds (real time) to use the enchant, I can get one weapon without renaming it (so you can differentiate it from unenchanted ones) before time is up. So doing 3-4 thousand damage per hit is pretty cool, but what does that say for the game. Bethesda/Zenimax announced there MMO. Maybe this will keep them home and they can drop Steam (Tricks (Steam) are for kids). In the next room my son is having an absolutely wonderful time with ME3 on Origin with no frustrations because of patches, broken quests, UI or AI.
    I don't think a Steam-only game should get game of the year.
  46. Apr 6, 2012
    It has some interesting concepts, but it's absolutely overhyped. Its bugs that prohibit gameplay keep it from being more than a 4/10. Bethesda has a long track record of bugs, and Skyrim is absolutely no exception. This is, in no way, worth $60 for a short game that offers little replayability, and very little enjoyment due to bugs and glitches.
  47. May 10, 2012
    Beautiful graphics and gaming world. No RPG game genre can not be compared with it. After not the best Oblivion, I began to think that the show went downhill. Skyrim pleasantly surprised. Very interesting to read the book coming across. And the music is also commendable. While in any TES is good.
  48. Jun 5, 2012
    There are so many different ways to play this game and it takes well over 100 hours to explore all of Skyrim. The attention to detail is unbelievable. Bethesda has created an incredible world to get lost in, so do yourself a favor and get lost.
  49. Jul 21, 2012
    I have played Skyrim for 182 hours, and I'm probably finished with it for awhile. I never actually beat the main plot, because there's so much to do, I ended up being distracted by all the side quests and exploration, which seemed a lot more interesting to me than the main plot, and now I think I'm burned out on the game. Like all recent Bethesda games (like the Fallout series) the NPCsI have played Skyrim for 182 hours, and I'm probably finished with it for awhile. I never actually beat the main plot, because there's so much to do, I ended up being distracted by all the side quests and exploration, which seemed a lot more interesting to me than the main plot, and now I think I'm burned out on the game. Like all recent Bethesda games (like the Fallout series) the NPCs are horrible in this game -- they talk too much, get in the way too much, get killed too much, and are all the same unless you use mods. There are other annoying bugs in the game, but none were so terrible that my experience was ruined, I just wish they'd QA these things out before the game actually goes retail. The UI was a bit clunky, too, since things didn't always sort properly. What I enjoyed about Skyrim, was finally, the opportunity to play a ranged character without always having to kite or tank monsters. A stealth-archer can often crit one shot and/or kill things before they get into melee range, which is awesome. All the side quests, and the sheer amount of cool stuff you can find when exploring was my favorite part of the game. I was having tons of fun finding new towns, treasure in remote locations, and pursuing the artifact quests (without using any wikis, I got most of them). The graphics are amazing, and with the high-res texture pack, one of the best looking western RPGs I've ever played. The soundtrack is also amazing, but unfortunately the voice acting is terrible most of the time, due to overuse of certain voices, and the bards... well, let's just say I tended to interrupt them when they'd start singing, it was that bad. As far as crafting goes, Blacksmithing and Enchanting were fun, but Alchemy was a chore because of the way the vanilla game sorts potions, and the sheer number of different potions you can make (most of them being useless, so what's the point of having them). Overall, a fun game with room to improve. If you still don't have it, I recommend that you wait for a 50% off (or more) sale on Steam. Expand
  50. Sep 1, 2012
    Perhaps the most hyped game of 2011, and in my opinion quite deservingly so. Bethesda have truly done wonders with this game. I found Oblivion to be incredible, but Skyrim manages to surpass even that. There are many outstanding features about Skyrim, and I
  51. Dec 29, 2012
    If your fun of a game is spoiled by glitches, do not get this game. I experience a bug/glitch ~every 5 minutes of playing, from crashing to killed NPCs falling through floors. The game is sometimes unplayable due to glitches and there are just so many of them. It is so close to being an amazing game! but it's ruined due to it feeling broken, rushed and unpolished.
  52. Jun 14, 2013
    There are two ways for an RPG to become imminent..Plot and Exploration..Either will guarantee the success if you had reached the peak..TES 5 Skyrim absolutely took the second way, the way Bethesda specialize in..The content in Skyrim can definitely outweigh any of its rivals in this gen..but the flaws in plot prevent it from achieving perfect..However, we saw ambition and ability ofThere are two ways for an RPG to become imminent..Plot and Exploration..Either will guarantee the success if you had reached the peak..TES 5 Skyrim absolutely took the second way, the way Bethesda specialize in..The content in Skyrim can definitely outweigh any of its rivals in this gen..but the flaws in plot prevent it from achieving perfect..However, we saw ambition and ability of Bethesda..From Oblivion to Fallout 3 to Skyrim, they just kept progressing.. Expand
  53. Jun 28, 2013
    First of all, huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series played Morrowind extensively and clocked 200+ hours on Oblivion. Despite all it's issues, I've still played Skyrim for 30ish hours so really it is a great game. This review is specific to the broken, terrible console port that is the PC version. Quests repeatedly fail and error messages are constant. I've had two instances where the gameFirst of all, huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series played Morrowind extensively and clocked 200+ hours on Oblivion. Despite all it's issues, I've still played Skyrim for 30ish hours so really it is a great game. This review is specific to the broken, terrible console port that is the PC version. Quests repeatedly fail and error messages are constant. I've had two instances where the game was literally stuck and I had to go in the console to reset quest status. After I got to a glitch in the Assassin's guild quest for which there was no known fix, I said no mas and moved on. It's really a shame too because at this point I've put enough time in where I don't want to start over on Xbox so basically this game is ruined for me.

I really don't know what else to say about this. If you want to enjoy this wonderful game, please do yourself a favor and buy the console copy.
  54. Oct 20, 2013
    Overall, a disappointing technological step forward from Oblivion. Your first impression, the graphics, are an underwhelming improvement but the environment design feels good, more varied and interesting than previous games. Human faces look bad and idol animations (such as when speaking) dont look natural. The dialogue is often awkward and contrived. AI sucks. Arrow in face, oh nevermind,Overall, a disappointing technological step forward from Oblivion. Your first impression, the graphics, are an underwhelming improvement but the environment design feels good, more varied and interesting than previous games. Human faces look bad and idol animations (such as when speaking) dont look natural. The dialogue is often awkward and contrived. AI sucks. Arrow in face, oh nevermind, just hearing things.

Whilst the environment looks good, one of the largest downfalls of Skyrim is that, besides dragons (which are intersting and done quite well), theres nothing but dungeons which are repetitive and completely uninviting. The cities are completely BORING. Again, nothing in them. The guilds are only few in number and I could barely begin them before Im bored....Im baffled by it all. This was the nail in the coffin for me, cities are just bad.

Combat is improved but still fails in the same fundamental ways as previous games. Swing swing block, swing swing block. Bows feel more powerful. Magic is the same as it used to be. New shout mechanic is interesting but essentially just magic.

Story, um, I dont remember it lets put it that way. Characters? What are those?

I cant be bothered explaining any more, Im tired of complaining. I honestly feel bad trashing the only game Ive ever pre-ordered. Exploring the land and finding new shouts was the only fun I had.
  55. Nov 24, 2014
    This review is from the perspective of someone with a decent gaming PC and enough know-how to safely install/manage mods for the game.

On a decent gaming PC with mods, there is no other gaming experience like Skyrim. According to Steam, I recently passed the 5000 hours mark and still playing. I probably spent 25% of my play time checking and updating mods and 75% actually playing the game.

After 2 years of modding, I now run just under 200 mods and have reached a stable configuration for a script intensive, visually enhanced game with ENB post processor. All aspects of the game has been overhauled. I haven't done the normal start in 2 years. My character is sensitive to temperature/rain/snow/wetness, must eat and sleep, gets diseases. Enemies are smarter, there's more of them, can use magic and potions, equipped with enhance/tempered weapons, and even loot dead bodies. Weapons and armors for everyone degrades and can get destroyed during combat. I have to feed my followers. All NPC's responds to weather conditions by equipping proper gear or goes home. There are holidays that will caused NPC's that would normally be confined to some interior cells to come out to common area to celebrate. There are new lands, locations, new NPC's to meet, and new quests to do. If you want your game to really be rated M (or way beyond), there are mods for that, too.

The based game has its problems and I can see why some people gave it low ratings. However, Bethesda gave PC gamers the Creation Kit. Creation Kit + awesome (international) modding community = one of the best sand box game to date. If you have good PC and haven't tried this yet, pick up the Legendary Edition at the next Steam sale and head on over nexusmods. Prepare for a gaming experience like no other.
  56. Dec 28, 2014
    Arguably the best RPG ever made in recent years. It perfects its music, weather, scenery and filters to craft a splendid immersion, allowing you to trek through the large gameplay area without ever feeling a dull moment. After playing for a few hours you start to feel the character is really you. In addition the world is so organic that the player has complete freedom to be as creative asArguably the best RPG ever made in recent years. It perfects its music, weather, scenery and filters to craft a splendid immersion, allowing you to trek through the large gameplay area without ever feeling a dull moment. After playing for a few hours you start to feel the character is really you. In addition the world is so organic that the player has complete freedom to be as creative as possible with the objects and abilities around. This allows for variety and makes the gameworld feel real.

Amazed by the smooth graphics as well when I first played 10/10. With mods 20/10
  57. Jan 1, 2015
    Skyrim is a big hit for Bethesda. To me this is one of the best elder scrolls games out of all. and yea i have played the previous two game Oblivion and Morrowind and I still think Skyrim is better. While I agree that the inventory is more designed at console gamers and the AI seemed to act bad sometimes this game is still one my top 5 with so much to do this game is one of the best.
  58. Jan 30, 2015
    I'll admit it, I didn't give the game a fair chance in 2011, and I guess I did the right thing. Why? Because now it is consuming 35% of my free time. The quests might be a little dull, but hey, who said you have to do them? You can just roam Skyrim, which is, by the way, beautiful, and not care for the main quest. Also, the great thing about "forgetting it for the past 4 years" is the factI'll admit it, I didn't give the game a fair chance in 2011, and I guess I did the right thing. Why? Because now it is consuming 35% of my free time. The quests might be a little dull, but hey, who said you have to do them? You can just roam Skyrim, which is, by the way, beautiful, and not care for the main quest. Also, the great thing about "forgetting it for the past 4 years" is the fact that in that time a ton of mods were created, enhancing the gameplay which was great even without mods. It is basically "Oblivion v2" with those features we lacked in TES IV:
    -Dual wield
    -Better graphics
    -Better UI
    -Being the Dragonborn
    -Dragons
    -Spawning memes
    and more...
    If you liked Oblivion (or Morrowind for older players), you'll love Skyrim.
  59. Feb 3, 2015
    Bethesda has taken the world exploration of The Elder Scrolls series to a whole new level with Skyrim. The world seems smaller than Oblivion's but a lot more consistent. Most of Oblivion plains felt sterile, more and more of the same copy and paste. Skyrim on the other hand seeks to make each corner memorable, it's easy to notice differences in vegetation and clime.

As always the main

As always the main story is there but it's not the main focus, what's really important are the side quests. The main story is much better told than Oblivion and lasts a considerable longer time as well. Side-quests will really be the soul here often requiring extreme exploration in some of the hundreds of locales scattered around its colossal world.

If I had to point out what I disled about this game would be the fact that caverns seems a lot simpler and less obscure than Oblivion's—even though they're much more fun to explore—, a mix of both world would be perfect. Also, even though side-quests are absolutely everywhere, the "infinite quests" system did not do it for me. A game this big shouldn't be infinite, and they could have exchanged the infinite system with more finite quests so we could actually reach an end for it.

All in all, this came's scope is massive and easily one of the most immersive experiences I've ever had. Though I might not have agreed with all Bethesda's choices I can certainly see benefits in them. Still, a massive game deserves a massive score.
  60. Feb 3, 2015
    I can safely say, without a doubt, that Bethesda has once again crafted a unique and exciting new game that is as fun to play as it is to write about. And I'm having a blast writing about it right now! In this Elder Scrolls entry, we are sucked into the fantastically fantastical world of Skyrim, a world which Bethesda has masterfully crafted, with elegant craftsmanship being found inI can safely say, without a doubt, that Bethesda has once again crafted a unique and exciting new game that is as fun to play as it is to write about. And I'm having a blast writing about it right now! In this Elder Scrolls entry, we are sucked into the fantastically fantastical world of Skyrim, a world which Bethesda has masterfully crafted, with elegant craftsmanship being found in every tree, temple, dungeon, house, castle, etc. If you hadn't gathered already, this game is a joy to explore, with every dungeon, every bandit hideout, and every city holding its own unique mystery and excitement. In Skyrim,I wasn't forced to explore every nook and cranny in its vast open world, I wanted to explore every nook and cranny. The game never forces exploration on you, because it knows that you will be more than willing to traverse the world on your own. The combat in Skyrim is an improvement on the combat of previous entries to the series, with kill animations and an actually viable 3rd person camera. There are also many varied, interesting quests to be found throughout the game, as well as many dynamic random encounters to be found that will keep the game fresh after you've completed all of the quests. The skill trees are as diverse and in-depth as ever, and perks are a fun addition. There are a few problems though. As with many other Bethesda games, there are multiple bugs throughout the game world. While most of these bugs are mildly annoying, there are a few bugs which can be game breaking, although I myself haven't experienced any of bugs which significantly hindered my enjoyment of the game throughout the 200+ hours I have spent playing. Also, some of the dialogue is poorly written, as well as some of the characters, but most of the time the dialogue and characters are interesting and enjoyable. Overall, I have and will continue to truly enjoy Skyrim, and I highly recommend it to any fan of The Elder Scrolls, RPGs, video games or quality entertainment in general. Expand
  61. Nov 14, 2011
    Yes Skyrim has bugs. Yes Skyrim isn't everything everyone wanted. Yes the textures are a bit low res. Hang on its Bethesda! Oblivion had bugs, Fallout 3 had bugs, they all had crashes galore. People need to know that Bethesda is known for this and they fix a lot of them, plus if you want higher res textures wait for the modding community to get a rollin'. God damn.

Now. The game is great

Now. The game is great I love it, it deserves a 9/10. Would give it a 10 but it keeps crashing and I keep loosing my saves ):
  62. Nov 15, 2011
    The game perfectly capture the atmosphere of the northern province of the Empire. Intresting quests, good story, memorable NPC, great dragons. Very good. GOTY.
  63. Nov 15, 2011
    It's not perfect, but it's close. I'd actually go 8.5 even. I'd like to see more skills, I particularily miss acrobatics. Some staff melee couldn't hurt either. With all that you can interact with in the game, I was a little disappointed I couldn't use the boat to cross the lake as well. I'm over that, though. Maybe in the next title. ha
  64. Nov 18, 2011
    I have one piece of advice for those considering this game on the PC. Find a decent UI mod, or get an xbox 360 controller hooked upto your PC and play it that way.

Almost all of the menu screens DO NOT use a mouse interface, and simply have you arrow left or right to select items. This is insane. Anyone who has played these games knows that you don't have a hand anywhere near your arrow keys, do you? No. Mouse and WASD.

That said, I was planning to play with a 360 controller anyway, and only fired up the game originally (sans controller) so see how it looked. I was happy to see that after plugging in the controller it instantly recognized it and mapped all of the buttons to the exact same layout as playing it on the xbox. This made life easier, but the default PC UI is still quite a disappointment.

Other than that, it is an addictive game with a beautifully crafted world that sparks far more intrigue in me than the general plains/hills of TES: Oblivion.
  65. Nov 18, 2011
    Even plagued with crashes, glitches, poor AI, crap UI, and in some specific cases, sub-par graphics, this game is so immersive and compelling that it keeps me playing. It's not the best it could've been, but it's damned good. Some of the landscape is awe-inspiring and stunning. The different ways you can improve your character are really satisfying - instead of being exceptionallyEven plagued with crashes, glitches, poor AI, crap UI, and in some specific cases, sub-par graphics, this game is so immersive and compelling that it keeps me playing. It's not the best it could've been, but it's damned good. Some of the landscape is awe-inspiring and stunning. The different ways you can improve your character are really satisfying - instead of being exceptionally skilled at combat, you could instead have above-average gear from crafting to make up for it. Almost any mixture of skills you want to focus on can be made into a successful and strong character, even if you want to be a jack of all trades.

Although the voice acting is superb, it feels like there's only one or two voices per sex that most NPCs use. It's easily overlooked because at least it's there, right?
  66. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim blew me away. I had never played an Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim, and I wasn't particularly hyped for it by any means but in the week I've had it I've played over 80 hours. From a technical stand point Skyrim is very well done with only a few minor flaws, the graphics are very nice, and some of the best I've ever seen. The art design is really cool and more "serious" which ISkyrim blew me away. I had never played an Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim, and I wasn't particularly hyped for it by any means but in the week I've had it I've played over 80 hours. From a technical stand point Skyrim is very well done with only a few minor flaws, the graphics are very nice, and some of the best I've ever seen. The art design is really cool and more "serious" which I like. The controls are pretty standard but suffer a bit from the obvious porting from console. The menus are average at best and again suffer from their obvious console porting. The game world and story are where the game really shines, I was immediately sucked in. This game is going to be the new standard for fantasy open world RPGs. I love it and could go on about how awesome it is but truthfully I'm tired and need some sleep. Expand
  67. Dec 13, 2011
    Everything about this game is amazing. I run it on ultra settings on a geforce gtx 580 and its incredible. This game will go down as one of the best games created, period. Since i have the game through steam, i don't want to mod it so i can get the achievements. I'm not sure if there is a way to quick change weapons instead of going through the favorites menu. It would be wonderful ifEverything about this game is amazing. I run it on ultra settings on a geforce gtx 580 and its incredible. This game will go down as one of the best games created, period. Since i have the game through steam, i don't want to mod it so i can get the achievements. I'm not sure if there is a way to quick change weapons instead of going through the favorites menu. It would be wonderful if i could hit the "1" key and it would equip my sword and hit another for shield, etc. Expand
  68. Dec 13, 2011
    The game is great in every sense, amazing graphics, complete freedom and it creates a great atmosphere. I interesting thing I noticed is that the name Skyrim comes from Middle-Earth and everything in the game looks very similar to it. Let me explain. "Sky" is the opposite of "Earth" and "Rim" (the edge) is opposite to "Middle". On more thing, is that the city Whiterun looks very much alikeThe game is great in every sense, amazing graphics, complete freedom and it creates a great atmosphere. I interesting thing I noticed is that the name Skyrim comes from Middle-Earth and everything in the game looks very similar to it. Let me explain. "Sky" is the opposite of "Earth" and "Rim" (the edge) is opposite to "Middle". On more thing, is that the city Whiterun looks very much alike to Rohan. So this game kind of copied LOTR, so I do not consider the game original. But nevertheless I had and I am still having an amazing experience playing this game. This game has some lags and glitches and some can be exploited, which kind of makes me lose my focus. If you read the other reviews, Skyrim does have some flaws, one which annoys me for example is NPC location. When I have a companion that follows me everywhere, sometimes I just lose him and he never comes back. They I have to go and hire him again. Very annoying. Another flaw are the animations. Some of them seem to be very buggy and often I find NPCs floating over the floor, instead of walking on it. But still, I cant understand how they packed a whole universe into 5.8GB of data. Anyways I would have given this a 9 or an 8, but I simply can't, because this game is going to be a legend and probably, all the bugs will be patched. Awesome work guys at producing the most entertaining game in the last 2 or 3 years. You deserve a medal!
    Great game! 10/10!

PS: Shame on you, who torrent it. Please buy this game and contribute the developers, who did a great job!
  69. Dec 19, 2011
    Skyrim is an awesome game, everybody must go buy it! I love the fighting in the game. It's just so much fun playing it. The only thing I don't like is the landscape, because I don't like maps with many mountains (that's my taste). Because a game can't be perfect I'll give it a 9
  70. Dec 20, 2011
    The greatest challenge. Not making a full blown essay concerning The Elder Scrolls. Being a fan of TES since 96 with my first entry by Daggerfall, I have grown attached to each of the games for varying reasons. Daggerfall had unparalleled depth and customization with challenging dungeons paired with an atmospheric score. Morrowind had a truly engaging story and unique, interesting varietyThe greatest challenge. Not making a full blown essay concerning The Elder Scrolls. Being a fan of TES since 96 with my first entry by Daggerfall, I have grown attached to each of the games for varying reasons. Daggerfall had unparalleled depth and customization with challenging dungeons paired with an atmospheric score. Morrowind had a truly engaging story and unique, interesting variety of landscape. Oblivion had worked on the ARTS combat that Morrowind had failed to achieve, and gave us a look at next generation open world visuals.

Now Skyrim comes along and takes a lot of the things I enjoy from each, and blends them together. While the product may be rather simplified, perhaps too many "ingredients" at this point may overflow the already heavy cup. That being said, I feel a lot of the steps are taken in the right direction despite my love for extreme complexity and depth. Skyrim somehow manages to make it work, and still attempt to please me with concepts of old, re-imagined through various systems, like the perk trees.

Magic while a bit more skewed has really drawn the appropriate feeling of power, and combat while still a bit simple, feels far more refined and physical from Oblivion. Exploration feels varied, especially after Oblivion. The scenery is also truly gorgeous. I can hardly tell it's a DX9 game and multiplatform title at times, and it runs buttery smooth on my rig. Voice acting is a step up. Not quite there yet, but a considerable improvement from previous. The focus and attention to detail for all the little things is there, but remain subtle. Some things you might not even notice the first time around. It fleshes things out a bit more, and makes them feel more organic to the virtual world. Animations are also improved from previous titles. The score is outstanding as per usual, ranging from a powerful, sweeping choir to a soft, atmospheric melody. Then there's the Dragons. Their behaviour, their established language, their combat, their animations, etc. I could go on, but I digress.

The game is not without its flaws however. A few CTDs here, a few minor bugs there (I have been fortunate in my play time, but it is hard to ignore the fact that issues do exist for others), and some things feel a bit lacking in content. However, it's not enough to detract from the gameplay in my case.

Will it take place as my favourite TES game of all time? I still think Daggerfall may keep that place. Skyrim however takes a close second. Only time will tell how Bethesda will manage to one up Skyrim though. But until then, I await to see what the community will improve.
  71. Dec 20, 2011
    Dehydrated review

What an RPG should be. Takes best of past games and improves on it. Very few bugs, smooth gameplay, massive open world, one of the best modern games out there to play. This is a definite buy.
  72. Dec 20, 2011
    Skyrim is likely the most beautiful world ever expressed by a video game. The $60 title will probably end up costing me six grand, as I've a sudden urge to vacation north of the Arctic Circle to see the aurora.

I'm 130 hours in, and I feel like I've probably experienced 60-70% of the content. What a masterpiece! The only things I can criticize are overuse of a few voice actors and occasional Bethesda-flavored bugs and crashes (for instance, getting tangled up in a handcart and dying to repeated impacts. Unfortunate, but hilarious.) With complete stealth, magic, melee, archery and assassination mechanics- along with guilds and quests catered to each - this title feels like it already has three or four expansions built in.
  73. Dec 21, 2011
    Since I played Oblivion for 3 years straight, I got bored with this game quickly, as the actual gameplay for obvious reason stayed the same and needs to, I take it. But what they have done to this game and its features is still unmatched to any game I have ever seen. Bravo! This is by far THE best game up to date. While it may require a rather stronger performance pc, this game WILLSince I played Oblivion for 3 years straight, I got bored with this game quickly, as the actual gameplay for obvious reason stayed the same and needs to, I take it. But what they have done to this game and its features is still unmatched to any game I have ever seen. Bravo! This is by far THE best game up to date. While it may require a rather stronger performance pc, this game WILL justify your new graphics card expense, and it all becomes totally worth it. I am not at all a fan of the new quick button layout and functions, but even that can be forgiven once you get lost in all the possibilities In-game. With all this, I can not see myself deducting anything from this game as I guarantee those who like these type of games, WILL play Skyrim for a looooong time. Only other thing I would have loved is perhaps a multi player version, even if only available on a cloud. Steam- wink wink... Expand
  74. Dec 21, 2011
    Great game, the best rpg of these last years for sure. I enjoy every second i'm playing it, my kids that are too small to play it beg me to sit on my knees when i play, and ask me to go play it when i don't. I gave it a 9 only because there is no multiplayer possibilities. I know the solo aspect probably is what make this game what it is, but still, a modern game should have a multiplayerGreat game, the best rpg of these last years for sure. I enjoy every second i'm playing it, my kids that are too small to play it beg me to sit on my knees when i play, and ask me to go play it when i don't. I gave it a 9 only because there is no multiplayer possibilities. I know the solo aspect probably is what make this game what it is, but still, a modern game should have a multiplayer mode, i think it a must today. Expand
  75. Dec 22, 2011
    Pros: Large open world, Strong modding community, An abundance of quest/game information available online. Cons: UI leaves much to be desired, Females are butt-ugly without mods, Washed out textures, Fails to hold interest.
  76. Dec 22, 2011
    Ignore the butthurt misanthropes who cry about every Bethesda game because it does not include the baby Jesus or something.

Game of the year. Incredible immersive, runs on fairly low-end hardware. Voice acting quality really improved - uncanny valley of plastic people also mostly gone..feels really fleshed out and wondrous.

Buy it! You will not be disappointed.
  77. Dec 22, 2011
    I started the Elder Scrolls series with Morrowind. I have to say they keep getting better. Skyrim is leaps and bounds better than Oblivion, and that is saying much. The game runs smoother, combat is more fluid, and the graphics are very pleasing to the eyes. As always, the world & story are the best parts. If you like this genre, Skyrim is a must have.
  78. Dec 26, 2011
    I had alot of expectations going into this game as I am sure alot of people did after playing oblivion. I felt most of the storylines was immersive and very nicely polished. The downside to this were that they were not long enough. After playing oblivion, my first thing I wanted to do was join the thieves and the assassins guild. The thieves guild lived up to my expectations and theI had alot of expectations going into this game as I am sure alot of people did after playing oblivion. I felt most of the storylines was immersive and very nicely polished. The downside to this were that they were not long enough. After playing oblivion, my first thing I wanted to do was join the thieves and the assassins guild. The thieves guild lived up to my expectations and the storyline was definitely one of the better ones. The assassins storyline on the other hand was very short and didn't feel very immersive at all. The combat next and again a big let down on what I was expecting, it got very repetitive very quick and was just basically a hack and slash for me with who emptied ones health bar first won. There is no real tactics for combat and is one of the biggest let downs in the game. Overall I must say that I enjoyed the game for the amount of time I put into it and would definitely recommend this game to anyone that loves the RPG fantasy genre. Expand
  79. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is a bit broken because it is made for consoles. But if you download tens of mods (including graphics and optimizing mods) the game will be a very satisfying experience. 6 of 10 without mods, 8,5 of 10 with mods. Now I'm just waiting for Skyrim Steam Workship so I can handle my mods easily in Steam.
  80. Jan 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After 80 hours, I think it's time to review, i was impressed, Skyrim is a huge step up from oblivion in graphics and gameplay, There are 4 cities, 9 holds (sort of like countys or states, where bounties are tracked alone) First of all, the story, you are one of the 10 races, being executed when a dragon attacks Helgen & Destroys the entire town, you escape and you can join the Imperial (The Empire) or the Stormcloak Rebellion, but the main story is you're a dragonborn & you kill dragons and save the world.

Main Story (Civil War Questline Inc.) 8/10 - The main story dragged on, the civil war was amazing.

Now with the graphics, the graphics are amazing, VERY long draw distances, but on a GT 430 it won't go above med. on 1080p, but that's alright.

Graphics - 9/10

Stability however, is a HUGE drop, there are a few CTDs and a ton of bugs, involving horses and what not, many glitches can involve quests breaking, forcing the console to be put to use. Mods make this worse.

Stability - 5/10

Side Questing is a very fun activity, some are horrible quests, but the daedric quests are extremely fun, such as mehrunes' razor and more.

Side Questing - 10/10

Everything else, modability is amazing, i have 8 mods installed (Child mod, Deadly Dragons, Dragon Music changed, New Menu theme and a whole lot more), It'll be even better when the Creation kit comes this month

Music is good too.

My overall score is 9/10

Other - 9/10
  81. Jan 4, 2012
    "is this the best game ever made?" ...... I am not a big rpg dragon slayer type fan, but after playing 30 mins of this game I was amazed and lost at the same time. If you did not buy a help book/ walk through, you may be lost in a big world of what to do. for help you can find youtube videos that will walk you along the way. it only gets boring if you do not know what to do. As an xbox/pc"is this the best game ever made?" ...... I am not a big rpg dragon slayer type fan, but after playing 30 mins of this game I was amazed and lost at the same time. If you did not buy a help book/ walk through, you may be lost in a big world of what to do. for help you can find youtube videos that will walk you along the way. it only gets boring if you do not know what to do. As an xbox/pc gamer the game works well on both systems. its even better when you can take the game with you on your pc. The pc copy of skyrim is not for windows live and you will have to download the game from steam. :) over all fun game for oblivion rpg fans. 9/10 Expand
  82. Jan 5, 2012
    Really good game, so addictive, can't stop...
    Really good game, so addictive, can't stop...
    Great story, great landscape, great game play great voice acting and good re-play value (I'm now on my fifth play trough). My point of view is that you can't review a game if you haven't done all there is to do in a game (or at least most of the stuff) and this game almost seems endless and I know I haven't done everything and I haven't seen all the sides of the story (yet) so that is also why I'm not yet able to do a complete review...anyhow, one thing is for sure, YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS GAME!

P.S. The only bad thing there is to say about this game is that the texture resolution is poor but it's ok especially when you think about how big this game really is, and then also if the texture resolution would be higher then also the system requirements would be sky high.
  83. Feb 3, 2012
    I've put in 206 hours into this game so far according to Steam and have loved every minute of it. The game isn't perfect, I admit... Finishing the Dark Brotherhood quest line too early will break the Butcher quest and prevent you from buying the Windhelm home for example. But bugs and all I love how open the world is and cannot wait to get the editor to make my own content when itI've put in 206 hours into this game so far according to Steam and have loved every minute of it. The game isn't perfect, I admit... Finishing the Dark Brotherhood quest line too early will break the Butcher quest and prevent you from buying the Windhelm home for example. But bugs and all I love how open the world is and cannot wait to get the editor to make my own content when it comes out Feb 7th! Expand
  84. Feb 5, 2012
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an open-world WRPG with many weaknesses and only one real strength. The combat is uninspired and dissatisfying, the voice acting could use much more variety, the enemies could have been more diverse, and the main story could have had better presentation, but the one real strength about Skyrim is its longevity. The amount of quests in this game is enormous and theElder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an open-world WRPG with many weaknesses and only one real strength. The combat is uninspired and dissatisfying, the voice acting could use much more variety, the enemies could have been more diverse, and the main story could have had better presentation, but the one real strength about Skyrim is its longevity. The amount of quests in this game is enormous and the world is massive. There is always something to do in Skyrim during and well past the main quest line. Exploring the entire world of Skyrim is a great feat of its own, and clearing every quest in the game should easily net the determined player well over 200 hours. If you can get past Skyrimâ Expand
  85. Feb 9, 2012
    a beautiful and emmersive game, but crippling bugs and accidential ( yes, accidental) exploits make it infuriating. But once you can look over that, you find a game with beautiful scenery, innumerable ( but repetetive) quests, interesting enemies, npc's with varied personalities, and several items and enchantments. while I enjoyed a few of bethesda's other releases (ie- The Elder Scrollsa beautiful and emmersive game, but crippling bugs and accidential ( yes, accidental) exploits make it infuriating. But once you can look over that, you find a game with beautiful scenery, innumerable ( but repetetive) quests, interesting enemies, npc's with varied personalities, and several items and enchantments. while I enjoyed a few of bethesda's other releases (ie- The Elder Scrolls III- morrowind, and Fallout- New Vegas) more than skyrim, it's still enthralling and charming in it's own flashy, bloody way. Expand
  86. Feb 14, 2012
    Alright, time for a review based on what I observed through one long playthrough.

Overall, I like the game and I give credit to Bethesda. Many people seem to discredit them for keeping it similar in feel to Fallout 3. While it is nice to have totally unique games, using a winning formula for a game is also a good idea. The graphics are perhaps not cutting edge, but they are certainly good. The combat system is similar to practically any Bethesda game that has come out since at least Fallout 3. The storyline is creative and fairly good at continuing the continuity of previous Elder Scroll games. Exploration is the biggest part of the game, be it exploring caves, buildings or just the world of Skyrim in general.

Of course, with the good comes the bad. The game tends to have issues with fitting the size of the television screen on Xbox systems, especially those of older model televisions. There are still "bugs" that need to be worked out, as any game of this size is likely to have. However, all bugs I have encountered are easily fixed by restarting the system. Combat is similar to Fallout, but tends to get dull and repetitive. At higher levels, the game becomes too easy. DLCs can remedy this in the future, but it seems to be a way to bait people to spend money on DLCs. The biggest flaw however imo is the characters and their seemingly lackluster responses to everything. They feel programmed to repeat the same things over and over again, and many of the same voice actors can be heard throughout multiple characters.

Overall opinion: A good game with a good story that came out too early with too many familiarities to previous games. Worth a playthrough.
  87. Mar 14, 2012
    If there is a game you want to spend some time on, this is the right game. It is very addictive and the beautiful world and graphics will drawn players in for weeks. While some of the side quests are repetitive and there are still many bugs to be fix, this game definitely deserves a high mark.
    Furthermore, with the new steam workshop implementation, Mods from other players make the game even mroe interesting. Many fixes to the bugs are also solved by player mods.
    This game is the best game released in 2011.
  88. Mar 23, 2012
    This is Skyrim, the best game ever in my opinion. I could go on and on about the different mechanics and quests and items and weapons and people and jobs and all of the other stuff in the game but to be honest, it would ruin the game. Skyrim is game you need to experience without previous inside knowledge on it, the simple fact is if you like Elder Scrolls or simply RPG's, no scratch that.This is Skyrim, the best game ever in my opinion. I could go on and on about the different mechanics and quests and items and weapons and people and jobs and all of the other stuff in the game but to be honest, it would ruin the game. Skyrim is game you need to experience without previous inside knowledge on it, the simple fact is if you like Elder Scrolls or simply RPG's, no scratch that. If you like amazing games then you must play Skyrim, experience the wonderful world of Tamriel. Expand
  89. Mar 25, 2012
    One of the games I've spent most time in, and there's a lot of content for the money. The main quest may be a little short, and the story presented in a somewhat boring way, but most of the quests are really good, and there are a lot of them. I've spent around 60 hours on my save, and it feels like I've only completed a small portion of the game. The combat is better this time around,One of the games I've spent most time in, and there's a lot of content for the money. The main quest may be a little short, and the story presented in a somewhat boring way, but most of the quests are really good, and there are a lot of them. I've spent around 60 hours on my save, and it feels like I've only completed a small portion of the game. The combat is better this time around, giving you the ability to dual wield, but it may get a little repetitive. Skyrim has one of the nicest progressions systems I've ever seen in a game, what you use a lot you get better at, the only problem is that you can boost some of the skills, but it's not as easy as in oblivion. Even though it has a nice combat system and a very nice progression system it's still the world that shines. It's extremely fun to explore in this game and you get rewarded for it. Expand
  90. Mar 25, 2012
    I do not know why all these negative reviews are cropping up. Oh well, haters gonna hate. Anyway, this game is hands down one the best games I have ever played, gorgeous visuals, tons of content, and a epic modding community makes this GOTY 2011.
  91. May 6, 2012
    A game that I really love even now.
    The graphics are great, there are more voice actors now and the animations are finally livelier and better.
    Some areas in the game fall flat for FPS drops and the AI can be extremely stupid sometimes. But it falls flat to the amazing customization and exploration in this game. Buy it and play it. You won't regret it (unless your PC is made out of plasteline).
  92. May 7, 2012
    You can say Skyrim's biggest advantage is also it's biggest flaw. I love sandbox games, and although I never really was a big fan of the Elder scrolls series I thought the freedom was certainly entertaining. But Oblivion was flawed on so many levels that I simply can't compare it to Skyrim. Yes, Skyrim is a much better game on every single way. Weapons and armor disintegration is gone andYou can say Skyrim's biggest advantage is also it's biggest flaw. I love sandbox games, and although I never really was a big fan of the Elder scrolls series I thought the freedom was certainly entertaining. But Oblivion was flawed on so many levels that I simply can't compare it to Skyrim. Yes, Skyrim is a much better game on every single way. Weapons and armor disintegration is gone and the dungeons are much more varied and interesting. Instead of repetative Oblivion gates you now have dragon fights but more importantly',the game looks and feels much better then it's laggy, buggy predecessor. The game has a ton of quests and will last for months,But here is the big problem: the game never has true high points. It's addicting, I'l give it that, but it doesn't have deep characters nor does it have an interesting story. It relies on it's endless replay value and sacrifices quality. It lacks focus and, as such, it was never memorable for me. Despite this, the game is fun and entertaining. The combat is excellent and the quests can be really grand and fun. The politics in Skyrim are actualy interesting and somehow held my interest of the story. The game is great, but it lacks focus, and Bethesda released it so buggy (let's not forget the broken PS3 version) that it's really a mixed bag here. People rave and praise it, and I can understand where the love is coming from, but it has it's flaws that shouldn't be passed by. Expand
  93. May 16, 2012
    The first time that I play a RPG..... and all that I want to say is: THIS GAME IS AWESOME, the graphics are so good, the gameplay is amazing, its a fantastic and addictive game.
  94. May 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You get out of it what you put into it. If you're going to cry about the obvious stuff, then go play Sims. Go make real choices. Go get 1000 different voice-over people and re-write the dialogue. I'm about 20 hours into it. I've read some of the other user reviews and there is some valid stuff to be said about Skyrim. I've rarely played this D&D type genre before. Last D&D style game I played was on the 3DO. Just not my gig. I have no idea about the Elder Scrolls before this so I can't speak to it. But I know that in this genre, there are spells and dungeons and caves and kill the yellow dragon, kill the red dragon, use the blue key for the blue dungeon...etc. etc. etc. There is a proven formula for this genre and their own family of games and Bethesda is just sticking to it. I have no problem with it. The truth is, this game is absolutely enrapturing in it's beauty and form (if you have the right PC and mods to run it) and fun as heck to play...if you are playing on Master difficulty. Therein lies the problem for many of these critics. They play an easy game and expect genius. When it takes you an hour to kill a dragon because you are out of arrows and running for your life, then a game gets fun. If you want more out of Skyrim, kick it up a notch. And a last word on "making choices" in a story-driven game. If you haven't already learned from Mass Effect....there are no REAL CHOICES. No matter what the game devs say, there is NO WAY to make a story-driven game with real choices. So get over it. Expand
  95. May 17, 2012
    Skyrim is an amazing game that is true to its roots in the elder scrolls series. The game opens much like previous games with you being a prisoner and up for execution. From there the story opens up and you can literally do anything you want from then on out. The story is your very own. The graphics are amazing, the dragon fights are fun, the controls are exactly the same as before. ThereSkyrim is an amazing game that is true to its roots in the elder scrolls series. The game opens much like previous games with you being a prisoner and up for execution. From there the story opens up and you can literally do anything you want from then on out. The story is your very own. The graphics are amazing, the dragon fights are fun, the controls are exactly the same as before. There is a great diversity of skills, items, and locations to explore. You will get lost in this world. Expand
  96. May 18, 2012
    This game is definitely either an 8 or 9. It's just weirdly addicting, and it looks pretty amazing. Sure, Witcher 2 looks great also, but that game, for me, got old and I never finished it. Skyrim, well, I had to keep playing (only level 40 I think). None of the bugs bothered me, and the mods were great.
  97. May 19, 2012
    Excellent game! Worth every cent! Maybe a bit repetitive from time to times, but who cares when it feels so good! The inventory and skill access maybe quite crude anc could be more innovatie, but you'll live and get used to it. Awesome game.
  98. May 20, 2012
    A perfect sandbox RPG, with awesome graphics which make Skyrim look beautiful, there's lots to do in Skyrim and plays like Lionel Messi, if you love fantasy RPG games then this is a must in your collection.
  99. May 21, 2012
    I enjoyed this game hugely, is that not all you need from a game, I loved the characters, the atmosphere, the combat, the sneaking however what really makes it for me is the huge variety of awesome mods
  100. May 21, 2012
    The most amazing game I have played in years. It is so immersive with so much to do. I am not the kind of person who enjoys playing single player games, but this game and Elder Scrolls in general is always an exception to that.

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012