8.4

1. Mar 30, 2012
    Needless to say this game is awesome... I gave it a 9. Let me just list off a few of the issues I have that kept it from a perfect 10: Money System: Once you can Smith and Enchant money loses all worth. No weapon, no enchantment, no armor you find in the real world can compare what you can make and enchant yourself. This means if you are an item whore like me and sell your crap you are sitting on 500,000+ gold. Why? Because there is nothing to purchase. If there is a DLC they need to add some "store bought items ONLY" to the shops. And GOOD items. Make having money worth something. Just a few to many fetch quests. "Travel clear across the world to drop off this paper and come back" happens too often. Lastly during the main quest final fights... you will see A LOT of enemies simply render into the world. This is the PC... we have GPUs, CPUs and RAM to render more than 10 enemies on the screen at a time. Render 50 enemies and lets have a fight. Other than those nitpicky things which keeps it from a perfect 10 the game was great. And those can really be overlooked and have no real smash on the quality of the game. Expand
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    tl;dr: Incredible RPG, best I've ever played, large and immersive world (150 dungeons!) great dragon combat, beautiful graphics, flawed only by the interface.

I'd give this game 10/10 if not for the interface. First about the game -- this is the most immersive, detailed, and just plain fun RPG I've ever played. The graphics are astonishingly beautiful in some places -- picturesque even.
    On my core7-860 at 2.8ghz with a 5850 I can run at 1900x1200 with antialiasing and all settings to ultra and still get 47-60 fps (60 is my refresh rate so I'm not sure if I had 120hz I would be getting more). Plus there's a VERY active modding community, they gave out their Creation Kit to PC users who have done all sorts of things to improve it.

The game is very addicting and like I said has a tremendous world with hundreds of quests. I've put 150 hours into it and still haven't beat it. The view distance is amazing, standing on a mountain top on a clear day (yes there's dynamic weather) you can see the whole land stretched out beneath you and even the distant cities. The dragons are amazing, in fact all character animations are fluid. Even the lips of the npcs move in sync with the words they are saying! The NPCs for the most part are very aware of your character and say all sorts of cool things that are appropriate to the situation (do a major quest and you'll hear people talking about it in another city for example). All in all creates incredible immersion.

The only ding is on the interface. It's CRUDE. Made for consoles. No way to group your items. I did download a mod called SkyUI that does a lot to improve it, at least then it's broken down into "weapons" "wearables" "potions" "scrolls" etc, but still no way to group them. When you have 12 rings in your inventory that you regularly swap between it becomes a huge hassle as they are listed with armor and amulets.

Another plus is access to the console. The horses tend to die easily and I like being able to resurrect my horse (and I don't consider it cheating, personally, since the horses are flawed to begin with; they also tend to disappear and I use the console to bring it back to me). Of course there are multiple mods that enhance horse functionality as well. I've hit one or two quest glitches, nothing that couldn't be fixed using instructions online. I don't understand how the reviewers who gave this a low rating can justify it.
  3. Apr 1, 2012
    Live in a huge fantasy world that is beautiful and rugged. Be who you want and do what you want.

This game is one of the best games I've ever played. It stands right beside The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Gorgeous environment, varied environments, detailed environments. Be who you want and play with complete freedom. In this game, you can pick the wings of a butterfly, use the wing
    to create a potion, use the potion to kill an enemy, raise the enemy from the dead to fight for you, kill the poor thing again, loot it and then store that loot on a shelf in your house next to hundreds of actual books of lore. This game is enormous, and there are so many quests it boggles your mind. Literally. I'm nowhere near done a first playthrough, yet I'm over 230 into the game and savoring every second. What is amazing is how much content is so truly interesting.

The musical score is superb and may be the best ever in a video game. Levelling is well balanced, its fun to level up, statistics are solid, and Fallout 3's perk system got expanded and solidified. There are tons of things to do, when you aren't arranging your house(s), shopping or reading. Legends, mysteries, secrets, ancient artifacts, deadly myths, powerful enemies, and dragons. Set to the backdrop of a civil war. Looting is outstanding, as is crafting. Inventory and general UI is efficient and clean. Writing is much, much improved, as is lore in general. Bethesda doesn't belittle previous lore, but only reinforces it. There is so much I'm this game I can't begin to cover even a small percentage. But it is a masterpiece. Truly, seriously, a masterpiece. I highly recommend it, and if you're overwhelmed by its size, do the main quest, a faction questline and a few side quests, and it should clock you in at around 70 hours. The few issues I had are minute compared to its greatness. Bugs occur and crashes occur, as to be expected with such a truly massive game. And dungeons can be and are fairly linear. No big deal, compared to everything else.

Thks game is a 10/10. Buy it and play it! And good job, Bethesda!
  4. Apr 3, 2012
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is not only one of the best open world RPGs I have played, but one of the best games. The game has a perfect blend of complexity and simplicity, making the game complicated enough to the point where it will make you use your head, but not so complex that you'll have no idea what to do or what is going on. The leveling and skill system is great, and gives you a lot of room to make adjustments to your character. This game also has a massive modding community, so whether you are looking for graphical enhancements, new worlds to explore, or your own personal army, you are almost surely going to find something that suits your need. Skyrim is a must buy for anyone who can appreciate a great game! Be warned, though, once you enter Skyrim, you may never want to leave... Expand
  5. Apr 7, 2012
    Simply Amazing. The graphics have some glitches, but almost all are fixed if you get the downloadable texture packs! No doubt this game is in a league of its own already, but mods just take this game to an ungodly level.
  6. Apr 8, 2012
    Having a complete blast playing this on my new Alienware X51. Skyrim is the greatest gaming expirences of all time. Max out your specs, grab a mountain dew, and unleash the visual drug. If you're ready for it, it's ready for you.
  7. Apr 8, 2012
    This is simply the most immersive game I have ever played.
    Great place for first time RPG'ers to start. Epic.......just ........Epic
  8. Apr 8, 2012
    This game starts epic, but after some hours it become boring as hell.
    Really, you will be disappointed. Has some nice features, and other really horrible, such as inventory, the horse, control equipment and so on. It could be fantastic. But the reality is that: Skyrim is "acceptable", the beautiful graphics will not stop your yawning.
  9. Apr 10, 2012
    This game is an instant classic and one of the best RPGs I have ever played. This is worlds better then Oblivion, and simply takes Elder Scrolls, if not Bethesda itself, to a whole other level. The graphics, soundtrack, combat, writing, story, gameplay, everything is just wall-to-wall amazing. Frankly anyone who gives this game anything short of an 8 is a fool who either ran into some PC bugs or has never played a Bethesda game before in their life. First prize! Expand
  10. Apr 13, 2012
    this game is easily the greatest game ive ever played, i don't see how people are badmouthing this game,
    there is absolutely no flaws to this game. i don't see how people can choose games like call of duty over this, and to those who think $60 is to much for a game, i would pay $100 for it. at any chance possible, buy this game
  11. Apr 14, 2012
    Words cannot express the awesomeness that is Skyrim. I've played Oblivion and even a little bit of Morrowind but this one surpasses both of these older games. Freedom, humor, action, depth and great music and locations is what makes Skyrim the best RPG game on any console by far.
  12. Apr 14, 2012
    Bethesda just finished raising the bar for the modern RPG. A perfect sequel that builds upon the foundation of its predecessor and takes it above and beyond.
  13. Apr 17, 2012
    I play RPGs for good, impressive stories and memorable characters and unfortunately this are the weakest points of this game (all bethesda games actually). Most quests are simple fetch quests, there are hundreds of them, but I prefer quality over quantity. Most NPCs are walking manikins, they have no characterization and serve no other purpose than just to give you something to do.
    The
    graphics are very good. Character animations have been greatly improver over the Oblivion and now TPP is a viable alternative to FPP. Also the games runes for me smoother than Oblivion.

Bugs, bugs, bugs. Bethesda games are the buggiest games I have ever played. They games sell well, what are they doing with our money? Cant they invest more into their games? Into betatesting and fixing bugs? On release Skyrim would crush for me every 1-2 hours. Rebinding hotkeys resulted in loosing ability to drop items from my inventory and making items "favorite". There were many graphical bugs.

This game has much more in common with The Sims than with Baldur's gate or Fallout.
  14. Apr 18, 2012
    Bethesda's recently released rpg TES V Skyrim is a fantasy world filled with a lot to do and with 100+ hours of gameplay it's a beast of a game. Skyrim's character development gameplay is very interesting to say the least, the graphics look gorgeous and the soundtrack is top notch. The world is massive with a lot to explore however that being said this is an open world game so expect a few bugs,some are big and some small but there are always a way around these things so it doesn't kill the gameplay experience. The story is good but it's not a masterfully told one. Minus the bugs this is a videogame masterpiece. Expand
  15. Apr 19, 2012
    Long story short the people who gave this game really bad reviews were people whining about the graphics and the engine! Compared to the old engine this one is wonderful, its a lot smoother and has crashed once my in the last 100 or so hours of game play. No complaints it definitely a solid game with great replay value. But if your looking for a top of the line uber realistic experience and hate a game for not being impossibility gorgeous then like with every other game ever made you will be disappointed. Expand
  16. Apr 23, 2012
    Amazing,a great journey ,Skyrim is an example for all The RPG should follow one of the greatstgame of the decade and maybe in history,bethesda show us the great game studio it is
  17. Apr 24, 2012
    Game of the year. As a Elder Scrolls fanboy I'm surely biased, however this is clearly the best installation sofar in the series. Dispite it's flaws, it is clearly the best sandbox RPG out there.
  18. Apr 25, 2012
    Ahhh Skyrim! Tons of hours playing it... The engine is fabulous, that game is deep and rich for exploration. There is lot of quests, even if lot of them are almost similar and not really interesting to do.
    The main story is classic, but cool. I hope we'll have some expantions packs. I think that game is a masterpiece in RPG/Action game. Everybody should try it :)
  19. Apr 25, 2012
    This game well deserves it's 10/10 score. I immediately got sucked in, and the game didn't spit me out before I had put in more than a hundred hours in it. It's not as good as Morrowind were, but in my scale Morrowind would be 11/10. It's a beautiful, and vast game.
  20. Apr 25, 2012
    TES V : Skyrim is as good as it gets when it comes to open-world RPGs. On a high-end computer, the graphics look gorgeous even though there might a few muddy textures here and there. The awfully illogical leveling system of TES IV : Oblivion has been completely reworked. Therefore, you do not have to watch your every move while playing anymore. A wide array of skills are still available, and most of the useless perks have been removed. However, the game is not free from annoying bugs. But I have to say it was far worse at the moment of its release. What's more, the huge Skyrim community has created a whole load of mods that I have not had the chance to test yet. But vanilla Skyrim is already a great experience that is more than enjoyable. Expand
  21. Apr 29, 2012
    Skyrim is an amazing game. PROS - The main quest has an interesting story (for an RPG). The game runs really smooth on PC while looking fantastic. The scenery is just... awesome. The combat is pretty good (again, for an RPG). Skyrim does some things well that previously turned me off RPGs. CONS - Unfortunately... this game is a straight console port. Skyrim is best played with a 360 controller, I found it more enjoyable that way. I did run into some technical issues early on (flickering water, shadows, textures), but they seem to have been fixed mostly by now, and Nvidia has released new drivers which increase performance. Also, some of the story elements are kind of lame, like the made-up words and such, kind of made me cringe. Expand
  22. May 1, 2012
    Fantastic game, but a little bit repeatable after 10-20 hours spent in it. This problem is solved by different plugins provided by fan community (Nexus, Steamworks). 9 out of 10.
  23. May 2, 2012
    Playing Skyrim on a console is amazing.

Playing Skyrim on a PC with an active modding community makes the game a truly unique experience.

If you own Skyrim on a console, I recommend purchasing a second copy for your PC when you get the chance. You will NOT regret it.
  24. May 3, 2012
    Skyrim ... A real RPG Monster !!! I will rate it by 85 in cause of the console sickness ! BUT ... in fact of the Mod-Support it has to be rated much higher !!! Skyrim is Epic !!!
  25. May 4, 2012
    Even my most favorite of games right now I am not giving a 10 as a 10 would mean perfect in every single way. The game really is my favorite over all the other elder scrolls games and was worth the money.
  26. May 7, 2012
    The game is expansive, immersive, and well-scripted. Most people will tell you that the game is great, and it is, so I won't go in to it. In short, there's lots of exploration and replayability, the storyline is slightly above average at best, there are way less bugs than the last round of Bethesda games (but there are still some crashes). Why not a 10/10? After a while the game becomes inexplicably boring. Give it a try. Expand
  27. Aug 9, 2013
    Skyrim, imo, is highly overrated.

It is by no means a bad game. It offers tons of content. I played 100+ hours into it. It got a huge open world, interesting lore and background, and all the things you can do.

But the quality of the massive amount of content is not very high. In most questlines, other than civil war and maybe Daedra quests, you don't have meaningful choices. Maybe if
    you count DLCs, then Dawnguard would count as well. For example, you can never fight against thieves' guild; the best you can do is to avoid that quest.

The skill system also encourages grinding, which is boring.

Its DLCs, imo, are also overpriced.

Moddability on the other hand is a very important part of this game, and that is why I still give it a 7.
  28. May 24, 2012
    "Bethesda has done it again! another brilliant masterpiece made. Skyrim will be one of the best games of 2011. Endless hours of gameplay will still surprise you how much more quests are available! Hands down" -the-epikninja
  29. May 24, 2012
    Althrough we have to deplore the lost of advanced statistics management and the recycled game engine, I must agree that the recipe of the success of The Elder Scrolls is still correctly used: here an immersive great world with own rules and story, where your decisions make it change. Concerning the soundtrack, the work is beautiful and ambiant noises suitable to the situation; the game is all-round about the stuff and the additionnal objects you can interract with.
    According to most of players, I proconize that a legendary game following the steps of Morrowind and Oblivion despite the fact new kind of RPG user-friendly features was been inclued.
  30. Jun 13, 2012
    I absolutely, hands-down love this game. I am new to the Elder Scrolls series, so I cannot comment to any improvements (or lack thereof) compared to previous games in the series. However, I can say that this is a completely engrossing game, well worth the $60. The shear volume of content, quests, side-quests, character customization and massive world make this game worthwhile. Decisions made early on can affect the outcome of later gameplay and your interaction with the world of Skyrim. Many previous reviewers have complained that there are too many bugs, and I can only assume that they purchased this game immediately after release. I purchased mine retail at GameStop, activated on Steam, and with the frequent patches and updates, I have not experienced any glitches or bugs what-so-ever.

There are also mods you can add to the game (extra animals, nature sounds, weapons, anything) that can provide an enhanced experience. Overall, I really enjoy this game... I also purchased Diablo3 since then, and I find myself returning to play Skyrim more often as I can easily get immersed in this epic environment. (Get a good videocard for the best experience, it's worth it!)
  31. Jun 16, 2012
    I can only give 8 to this game because it has so many bugs; i played it on pc. The main story is too short, i hope it could be longer. The faction quests are very interesting; i had a lot of fun during Dark Brotherhood quests. After i discover most of the dungeon and finished most of the quests, i do not know what i can do to get to highest level for both character level and skill level. Maybe they do not want people to get all skills to lv100 on the a single character. Dual-cast destruction magic is too convinient, it breaks any enemies' attack. lol Expand
  32. Jun 17, 2012
    An all amazing game. If I could give it higher than 10 points I would. If you are looking for an RPG with exploration involved along with extensive character customization, this is the game for you.
  33. Jun 19, 2012
    This is trulythe most beautiful game I ever played. I'm relishing every moment of exploring amazing world of Skyrim. Everything is just perfect to my liking: dynamics of combat, cutscenes, storylines.
    Some say that game is dumbed down when compared to Oblivion, but I found it more fun when you don't need to jump stupidly from town to town just to get your points for acrobatics-dexterity
    stat. (Though I liked Oblivion very much too). The only flaw that I can name is somewhat akward inventory/skill/spell system. I would take one point of for this, but I won't. Because this game deserves 10. Expand
  34. Jun 20, 2012
    The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim is an epic game, and It's even a beautiful game. Technically is great, and It's so original. An outstanding RPG that grows on you fast, and that is, of course revolutionary. But, the friendly AI is not even necessary, because It is so confusing and kind of stupid. (Im not saying for the personality)
  35. Jun 20, 2012
    I would not feel bad by saying this, but the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is the best game in the franchise. It combined the epic story that Morrowind had, with the fantastic and fast paced gameplay and combat of Oblivion. The game have beautiful graphics that load quickly and make it possible to immerse yourself into the game so easily. The new engine, while similar to the old ones, is a vast improvement to the game. This game deserves the awards and praise it has. Well, it might deserve a little less because it sure does have a lot of bugs. Maybe wait a while to get this game so that it gets some patches, and when it does, buy it outright. Expand
  36. Jun 21, 2012
    This game is the bomb.Some times there are frame drops and bugs from here to there but skyrim is a perfect example of what bethesda can do when they focus.i will give it a 9 because of the bugs.keep up the good work bethesda
  37. Jul 13, 2012
    One of the Epic Greats of Gaming History. A true offspring of the Elder Scrolls universe becaues it is a work of gaming art that continues a legacy. Ignore the people who say this game is short, any game is short to a "grinder" type. This game hours of fun, adventure, combat, quests and damn well thought out sub plots and main plot. You NEED to be asking yourself one question: "Why do I not have this yet?". Expand
  38. Oct 10, 2012
    Great game and well worth the cost (I have not bought Dawnguard). I must say I have played many hours of this game and enjoyed it immensely. The reasons for not giving it 10 are that I believe the engine could be refined a bit more although it is a massive improvement over Oblivion and that I believe there should be a MUCH larger range of items. There are not enough tiers of weapons, not enough choices that can be made with respect to items and enchantments. The game needs far more in depth crafting systems and gathering systems. The game is however still very fun although it can be a bit easy even on master difficulty. Expand
  39. Nov 5, 2012
    Skyrim is fantastic! I love the Skyrim game , the best of world,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  40. Nov 8, 2012
    Skyrim is an experience like no other. The world in Skyrim is huge, so I was spending hours and hours exploring ,unlocking new locations and fighting enemies. While exploring, I was frequently ambushed by dragons, and every fight against dragons was exciting and truly epic. For the story, I was surprised how interesting it gets when I continued playing it and the characters, even though their faces are a bit awkward, they were interesting enough. Graphically, It's fantastic and the soundtrack that was played in the game, gave me chills. But, there's some negative points that Skyrim had. It had some glitches and bugs. But, that didn't annoyed me. This is the game that we were looking for, this is SKYRIM! (9.7) Expand
  41. Nov 9, 2012
    There is only one thing that will always make me vote Beth games 2 points higher than any similar game made by any other dev (except CD Projekt ofc); thats support for modders!

Skyrim is not the greatest RPG ever made by default, neither is it the greatest game world designed, but with the incredible modding community, I cant confidently state that no other game even comes close to it.

I played oblivion until 11.11.11; Skyrim will last until the release of the next TES. No other game deserves a 10/10 more than this one (On the PC that is).
  42. Nov 11, 2012
    Dear Bethesda, Please incorporate a singing edition of your game. As enjoyable and engrossing as it is to play I can never help but feel this is all should have been an epic viking musical. Perhaps every song should be song in Thu'ums, the audience would be reeling. So again, your next expansion has been decreed to be Skyrim: Songsinger. Thank you. Love, your captive audience. PS, if the songs were Disney style and all on ice why that would be so much sweeter. Expand
  43. Nov 13, 2012
    Was a great game for the 2-3 weeks I played it. Gets extremely repetitive if you pump to many hours into it, but playing it for the first time is very fun.
  44. Nov 16, 2012
    I can´t believe I spend 150+ hours playing this game! Must be my new record. After such a time I can tell my honest opinion of this game. Let´s start with downsides. The game world could be better. I feel the map is way too small for this game. Larger map would greatly enhance the immersiveness and creators could have put more variation on terrain. Plot ain´t that great, some side quests have good stories( for example, Thieves guild), but mainstory is just...dull. You can finish it in few hours and generally I didn´t care about it at all. Dialog is the best I´ve seen in Scrolls game. It´s still terrible though. Bethesda probably tried to make the world feel more "alive", but they failed. Dialog sounds akward, is tedious sometimes and ain´t serving a purpose all the time. NPCs are way too eager to tell useless opinions and what the f**k they did last evening! Players choices don´t really matter. You can butcher every man and woman in a village and afterwards citizen of Skyrim and guards still think of you as a hero, you can serve every damn god without fear of divine punishment. Skill trees are either underpowered, overpowered, dull or useless. Combat is fun when you play the game for the first time, but it gets dull quickly, you don´t feel like you are hitting things, it´s unsatisfactory. And AI is outstandingly dumb. Those are the weak points of the game, but they don´t break the game completely. This game is damn immersive at times, I can spend hours walking around and won´t even notice it. And there´s a lot of background for the world. And on PC you have mods! With mods you can fix several major problems and make this game gorgeus looking. If you aren´t as fussy as I am then you´ll have even more fun than I did. I say buy this game! Do it! Now! Expand
  45. Nov 29, 2012
    Well another game that really stroke my heart. I was able to spent like 200 hours exploring the huge world and still I am wondering how they was able to do it! So much space, so much quests, so much things to do and still it does not end! Well there are some quite damn bugs and other things but who cares. it is fun as a hell
  46. Nov 29, 2012
    Without any doubt the best RPG ever, and perhaps even one of the best games ever. The game gives you plenty of opportunity to change your experience. You can pick a race, pick how your character looks, what storylines you follow and wether you pick more of a warrior, mage or thief way of playing. This brings me to my next point; you DON'T have to pick a class. Certain races have at the start certain bonusses over other races, (your levels are slightly higher.) The fighting feels very natural and is thought through. The world looks AMAZING, and if you have patience, is not to big at all, like other people may imply. Also, you get the feeling that Skyrim has been there long before you came, and that it will continue to exist, long after you die; a lot of the people in Skyrim are named, and have daily routines, work, go to the pub, visit other people and go home to sleep. Bethesda put a LOT of time in this game and you can notice it. This is a game every gamer should have. BUY! Expand
  47. Dec 7, 2012
    From transitioning from One Era to another in the story (and for us, metaphorically), Skyrim does a great job of cleaning a lot of frustrations and putting every perspective that we love from RPG's: Dynamic Settings, Beautiful Enivornments, and Epic Combat. The Combat doesn't feel so static anymore, like as if your hitting a fence post with a nerf sword, first person combat can see you bob up and down from running, sprinting, attacking, and blocking. The Status bars are also a plus as well, having them Symmetrically placed across the bottom of your screen, to minimalize HUD flogging when you want to get to the heart of this game: Environments. The Fog system in this game is by far the best I have ever seen from any game, that from looking at it it is almost pantomime to me. The Water system has improved a tad, but sometimes I tend to be swimming in invisible water due to glitches. Enchanting weapons is now a skill set, rather than those cores you'd retrieve from closing oblviion gates. Weaponry Combat is now divided between One-Handed and Two-Handed, rather than Maces and Swords, and while either one can be argued over which is better, I would prefer One-Handed. Although, trying to get re-acquainted with certain magic skill sets is a little trifling, considering that Mysticism no longer is a magic skill set and we are left with Illusion, Destruction, Restoration, Alteration and Conjuration. Mysticism's spells have been divided among each other skill set, which can make finding the particular spells difficult if you are not familiar with The Elder Scrolls. But most importantly, Skill Sets are a big improvement to this game. Leveling Up is now more diversified; if you leveled up just using Marksmanship, you can put a Perk into Enchanting if you feel like it, where in Oblivion it had you forced to increase skills based on what skill you used most. Also, Magicka, Stamina and Health also have their own perk points, where each time you can level up, you can add 10 points to either one. The Story, well, it has some strengths, but also weaknesses. IN terms of communication, Now all communication is in real-time, so when you communicate to one person, not everyone else will just freeze in place. Also, you won't have to stare at the NPC you are talking to face to face. In fact, you can actually move your first-person view while conversing, providing a more thematic and realistic ideal to communication. But to the story. Now, the Dragonborn Quest was epic, especially at the end when you finally face Alduin once and for all, but the other main quest, The Civil War Quest, was kind of shallow. Now, you can never win a civil war with one person, that never happens. Throughout the whole time you are doing this quest, you never actually feel any tension from your foe, either being the imperials or the stormcloaks. And when you do enter Enemy territory, you aren't even threatened from there. Even after thwarting Stormcloak Evasions, capturing cities and ransacking forts, all that the leaders ever do is just curse your name and talk passive-agressively towards you, not even once bothering to mention that In that case you'd be a High Profile Target for Assassination. I was glad to be done with it, considering that their idea of a civil war wasn't ideally the one I was hoping for. However, the other side quests are all interesting, and indeed, Every Dungeon, Crevice or area you find has their own story to tell. Books are still existant in this region, even some of the easter eggs from the earlier elder scrolls (the lusty argonian :P). It's even interesting to read books detailing events that happened during "The Oblivion Crisis", as they call it. The Relationships between each races is also very apparent, with circulating criticism's and racisms between lower class races (Argonian's, Khajiit, Dark Elves), and it allowed me to analyze the situation that was burgeoning all over Skyrim and possibly all of Tamriel. It allowed me to develop my character in a way that I thought I would never be able to do with games that would rather just kill first and ask questions later, I could actually have a character with real context and self-awareness of the problems that propel the lore forward. However, on a technical level, there are a lot of issues with this game that bother me. I can't see my oxygen level when going under water (although maybe this was for the tension), I can't see the weight limit for any companions (er, pack mules), before me, companions will constantly get in your way and act retarded, and most importantly, auto saving. While I originally embraced this idea of autosaving, I constantly get annoyed with trying to access my inventory while autosave saves when I don't need to and doesn't when I do need it to. Ultimately, this game shall be worth your money which I could say more for some of their DLC content. Expand
  48. Dec 7, 2012
    One of the greatest open-world games I have ever played, with so much content -- particularly with the thriving modding community -- it is liable to suck you in for several hours at a time. Because of how vast the world is and the amount of stuff there is to do, it does suffer from a lack of a main focus as the main storyline quest can be ignored for a long time. Actually, I'm pretty sure you can ignore the main quest entirely if you really wanted to. Given that, the game does allow you to set your own pace and handle your story at a pace and style that you choose. Gorgeous visuals definitely makes the environment and the very game come alive (that can be enhanced and made even more realistic with mods!). Pretty much high production value across the board, obvious for such a big game but might as well mention it. Combat is definitely a plus and character progression and customization is excellent. I don't want to go on any longer with the review, so basically if you love open-world RPG games and don't have Skyrim, you should get it. Period. Expand
  49. Dec 9, 2012
    Unlike many MMOs and RPGs these days, I found myself desiring to explore the whole world. I love they way they've designed a game that truly does give the player the choice to do whatever they wish. Combat is fun and challenging, with so many play styles that it feels unique. There are a few bugs but given the scale, this game is surprisingly very polished. All in all this game for me has been the first game since HL2 that I have really enjoyed on an "omg awesome!" level. It is easy to see the negatives of such a game if you read all the reviews but really what matters is how you respond to it and if it gets you engaged. For me Skyrim has done exactly that and therefore for me, this game is top notch. Expand
  50. Dec 10, 2012
    this game is the best rpg ever you just can stuck hours to the game and think that you just play 5 minutes.after more then 80 hours (this is the hours that i play the game since i bought him)you still will have quests to do and the gameplay is amazing the shouts weapons and the magics are awsome i think that this is crazy to give this game below from 10.
  51. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is as close to perfection as it gets, everything is there to make you forget about the real world and experience the life of an adventurer in dark times.
  52. Jan 4, 2013
    This review is for those who haven't played the previous series and simply want a great RPG to play. Skyrim delivers in most aspects of it - the main quest line is intuitive and fascinating, and thoroughly challenging, and you can detach yourself from it at any time to explore the rest of Skyrim or do side quests. The world of Skyrim itself is absolutely massive and extremely well created - what I especially admire is how no two details, no two trees, are replicated anywhere else in the world. It shows a genuine desire to please consumers on Bethesda's part. The orchestral music that makes up the soundtrack somehow fits both the medieval lifestyle and ambient open air, all at once, which enhances the feeling of open-ended gameplay. What I especially love about this game is that the PC version allows you to make use of the command prompt and mod allocation should the current style of gameplay not suit your needs. You can use it to manually raise difficulty, create unique quest lines, or add your own textures. It's also Bethesda's way of tackling bugs - if you can't complete a quest because of a bug then all it needs is the command prompt to fix the bug for you. Some might say it's lazy of Bethesda's testing team and doesn't openly tackle the needs of consumers, but I think this can please everybody in each way they wish to play. I do have a couple of gripes though - the only word to describe the combat system is boring! You can't target your swings or pull off special tactics, it's simply click, click, maybe hold down click if you're a warrior, hold down click while moving backwards if you're a mage, stand far away and hold click if you're a bowman. There is almost no variety in any of the monsters, with the possible exception of trolls (I did have to employ tactics to bring down one of those behemoths!) Also, there is quite an evident issue that if you spend too long on the side quests you can over-level, in which case the main quest becomes a cinch, so it really could have done with some level adjustment on the wildlife AI's part. But once everything is summed up and rolled into this title, I can conclude that it is very much worth getting. Be wary of the (small) chance of disappointment because you'll be splashing out quite a lot of money for it. Expand
  53. Jan 4, 2013
    Story: 9 --- Though there are many interesting quests in Skyrim the main overarching story suffers for it. Still, the game is way longer than most of its ilk so it scores extra points for that. --- Visuals: 10 --- The default Skyrim is great and the modded Skyrim is absolutely breathtaking. --- Sound: 7 --- Skyrim has a pretty good range of very good music and most of the voice acting is pretty good. But there are only a half dozen actors and you will recognize them all immediately. --- Combat: 8 --- If you've played more than a few video games and don't hate FPS games, Skyrim plays very well. I wish other game makers could do this as well. That said, the enemy AI is stone stupid and easy to manipulate. Which is a big disappointment in a game like this. Even dragons quickly become easy to defeat. --- Fun Factor: 10 --- This is a very fun game. One of the most enjoyable RPG's since um Oblivion... --- Unmodded Overall: 8 --- This is my review of the unmodded version of Skyrim. The major points keeping it from being excellent are the VO and poor enemy AI. --- Modded overall: 10 --- Add in mods and you instantly turn every score up by at least one point. If you aren't modding Skyrim, you are missing out on one of the best RPG gaming experiences of all time. My suggestion, improve the AI, turn up the visual juice (if your PC can take it) download a new music pack and get a skill overhaul. If you do those things you will have an unparalleled gaming experience. --- Overall Overall: 9: -- In the end, making this game go from very good to amazing you have to mod it. So I choose the easy middle-ground. Though I really do need to reiterate that you should buy Skyrim and download some mods from the Skyrim Nexus site it for a 10 star gaming experience. Expand
  54. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is a treat to play for the most part. At least 40 hours of exciting and involving gameplay, a beautiful world, interesting characters, open-ended quests and much more. Sadly, with this comes plenty of glitches and bugs, some minor gameplay issues and an absolutely appauling finale. I have around 90 hours of play time and after recently returning to Skyrim with a new character I felt the game had lost all of its fun. I'm likely to stay away from this game from now on. Great play time for the money but not the 'greatest RPG ever' some people name it. Expand
  55. Jan 5, 2013
    I can't see a reason why any sane gamer could not like Skyrim. As of now, it's the mother of all RPG games. Once again, the Elder Scrolls gives us that great storytelling, character development and good combat. The AI gets some serious upgrades compared to Oblivion. The leveling up system no longer horribly sucks. The amount of things you can do in this game is unspeakable. Now onto the downsides... The AI is better, but can still be pretty stupid at times. You can steal from shops just by placing buckets over people's heads. Enemies struck with arrows will say "It's just my imagination" after trying to find you for 8 seconds. The PC version is stuck with permanent vertical sync, so enjoy having your mouse movements delayed. Turning off vertical sync via graphics card options will break the game. Overall, this might be the best RPG game you'll ever play in your life. Expand
  56. Jan 9, 2013
    Skyrim is fun. That's just an understatement. But, Skyrim is great graphics-wise and the gameplay is beautiful: scenery, combat, etc.. The thing I don't like about Skyrim is how short the storyline was. After I finished it, I was just doing some other "main quests". Honestly, a player can finish the game before level 30 if they focused mainly on combat and the main storyline. Me, I did a lot of smithing and non-combat things. I especially love the lore about the Dwarves (Dwemer) and I like the Dwemer cities. But after a while, I just stopped playing. I have yet to do the Imperial/Stormcloak questline because I'm so torn between the two groups. Conclusion: Skyrim is fun, interactive and has many things to do. Expand
  57. Jan 13, 2013
    As is usually the case, those giving this game a 1 or a 2 are just hating and those giving it a 10 are ignoring some real issues. Overall I can surely recommend the game, it's fun. The main story line is entertaining as are a number of the other quests --- special mention to the Dark Brotherhood line and thieves guild, just for the sneaking around. However, there are still way too many repetitive boring quests. Furthermore, the game is just too easy. After getting barely acclimated there was no real issue with just maxing out the difficulty and rarely finding yourself in danger of actually dying. The Dragons themselves, after the shock of fighting the first one, are way too weak. The crafting systems are completely broken --- Smithing, enchanting and alchemy are very easy to advance ... and once advanced, you're pretty much invincible.

I have to also agree with the criticism regarding many of the characters. For the most part they all seem oblivious to your character's great accomplishments. They mouth the same lines all throughout the game. It's a wonder more time and effort couldn't have been spent in adding lines and in having npc's recognize your character's level and major accomplishments. After a while you will notice the same actor doing the same voice for different nps's --- I mean the actor couldn't use another voice for the different npc's? That doesn't speak well for the actor's abilities, nor for Bethesda's attention to detail.

Still though, the graphics are definitely better than in prior TES and I'll still give the game an 8 overall for its scope and breath the FIRST time through. I can't say I'm game for another play through, as I'm not sure there's anything left to discover nor will different choices create different outcomes. Think I'll just sit and wait for the next DLC.
  58. Jan 15, 2013
    Simply put, the best game ever made. I've spent over 800 hours enjoying this game including using the creation kit to build my own mod's for it. The instructions to do so are pretty good. The graphics are the best hands down. I say that because it's a sandbox yet no loss to the detail. My only one negative is that it is lacking objects, like chairs, carpets, cups, drapes etc.. Oblivion did a better job providing a plethera of objects for better immersion. The dungeons and castles reuse alot of the same objects and textures such as "walls". The world is so big I can see why, but still the world can be drab and boring due to these facts. I'm still rating this game a solid 10. Bethesda is the last gaming company who puts creativity ahead of ripping off their customers. Until they get bought out by vivendi or some other giant that is. And I guarentee that will happen and that will be the end of this wonderful trilogy of top notch games as it is now progressing. After a merger all the parties that made the game what it is walk away with huge chunks of cash. I've seen it many times. Sad but true. I'd also like to add that this game has spoiled me rotten, I can't play other substandard games just to kill time anymore, skyrim is all I play anymore. Expand
  59. Jan 30, 2013
    Great, great and ... great! Beautiful and diversified world, many amazing quest chains. Feeling free playing style is amazing. One of the greatest games I'm still returning to and always find something interesting to do. 1 point subtraction is for many glitches and poor console UI (that mods can repair). Also crafting could be better but who cares :)
  60. Feb 3, 2013
    Finally picked up this game after waiting for a price drop (which I swore I would do after being disappointed with Oblivion). First, what brings the game down: Bethesda seems to have no problem creating a beautiful and detailed world, however, they forget about giving it a sense of believability and immersion. Look at Bleak Falls Barrow as an example: you follow a very visible path up a mountain to a MAJESTIC stone sculptured temple in perfect condition. Yes, it looks very cool and impressive, however, it feels like a tourist attraction. The door to the temple is highly visible atop a wide, pristine stair case. The whole place feels like it was recently built yet I'm supposed to believe it's an ancient ruin??? I don't get it. Inside the temple are cobwebs and crypts with treasure that has, inexplicably, not been looted yet. Why are the bandits the only people to discover this place and why didn't they bother looting it yet? I guess they didn't notice the big-ass chests sitting out in the open. Contrast this to Baldur's gate where you discover an underground crypt system under a shifted grave marker in an old dilapidated graveyard (which I was warned to be wary of). It actually felt like I was exploring and ancient dungeon that no one had entered in a hundred years. Another example of immersion breaking is Anise's cabin. The cabin literally has no roof. There is almost more sky than there is roof yet Anise lives there, in a cold climate!?! Inside the cabin she has candles burning I guess not enough sunlight is coming THROUGH the roof. I also get to "talk" to Anise. But all she does is say 3 lines over and over that describe who she is. Sorry but that's not conversation nor is it immersion. Let me actually talk to her and discover who she is myself. They made her into a prop instead of a character I can get to know. One of her lines say "it's hard getting by out here but I make do". So I raid her garden of everything green and she still says the same 3 lines. C'mon, Bethesda give me some interaction and immersion here. It would be very easy to program some new lines if I raid her garden or enter her cabin without permission. There is something to discover about her but it could have been done so much better. I could go on and on about immersion but I'll stop there. The combat still feels like 1998 (with only minor improvements), walking animations the same. When will developers make characters legs stop moving when they hit an obstacle? Or automatically step over the obstacle? Never, I'm thinking. Little disappointed in only 3 attributes to choose from as well. The dungeons and night time seem too well lit as well. It would be fun to have dungeons be pitch black and have you rely on your torch or spell for light and/or have old wall torches that you light as you go. Focus on atmosphere and creeping you out like in doom3 back in the day. Imagine hearing sounds in the dark that's beyond the light of your torch. It's hard to be afraid in a dungeon that's lit up like Walmart. That's the thing about Skyrim, there's just so many things they could have done better. But it does have a positive side: the game looks amazing on ultra high. Much more atmospheric than Oblivion the urban park. The monsters look cool and scary. Having a giant run at me and pound me into the ground was very cool (ah no level scaling with them at least). It will be fun to build up my character and take them out (isn't that right Oblivious?). The UI is trash but I found using the Xbox controller helps immensely and was very intuitive. As a whole I'm having fun and would recommend the game (for $39.99) despite the immersion/reality issues I have with it. Expand
  61. Feb 3, 2013
    The good. Simply the best open world experience ever. Amazing atmosphere. Brilliant emergent game play. Moddable to the enth degree. 300+hours and counting The bad? absolutely the worst console port interface in history. Stupid management getting in the face of the creatives should have been fixed years ago.Someone needs sacking. What a shame. Giving it a 9 becasue of the lousy lazy PC interface.

Best game ever
  62. Feb 5, 2013
    You can't call yourself a gamer until you have had the pleasure of finishing Skyrim (if that's even possible). This to me is a perfect game. Huge world with endless possibilities, adventure and ways to customise your character to suit your game-style. Dragons, dungeons, secret societies and warring factions, this game has it all. And with the addition of Steam's modding Workshop on PC, Dragons within Skyrim will live and breathe fire and frost for years to come. There is just too many good things about Skyrim to mention. Must play. Perfect 10/10 Expand
  63. Feb 7, 2013
    The game is amazing just like oblivion was the main issue i had was with the game crashing all the time. I eventually fixed it through updates and lowering resolution but by that time, it had kind of ruined the experience for me. Also the lack of multiplayer or pvp is kind of disappointing.
  64. Qis
    Feb 9, 2013
    Despite the beautiful graphic and the heroism environment it gave us, this game have some issue. Firstly the user interface, the game never tell us anything on how to use the feature/menu, we discover them ourselves and it is not user friendly to begin with. There is some issues regarding favorite option especially for dual wielding character. The user interface is confusing and not designed for PC gaming. Secondly, the game is purely designed for hybrid class of a character. No pure class will ever make it without metagamming and abuse some mechanic. It is because this game is designed for new generation players who favor the in-between class, mix-magic type of a character. So players who favor pure warrior, mage and rogue type will have a problem especially in the middle game. Thirdly, the game favor evil type of a character, pure good character have no place in Skyrim. Most of the quests are based on greed, deception and worst end up sold own soul to some deity/satan/whatever. There is lack of good options in most quests. Higher grade weapon/armor is demonic in nature and every character will need Enchantment in which the process need the character to trap any living creature soul and manipulate it. There is no moral background for such practice and it is some what encouraged. The hero (Dragonborn) him/herself is a soul stealer. Fourthly, the AI for followers is so bad, and there is a bug where the followers never level up with the character, they will end up weak as the main character and enemies become stronger. Fifthly, lack of in depth story. The world is vast and rich but the characters are boring and not interesting. The population will only repeat some few lines, the followers also, each characters are poorly constructed to make us deeply involve in the world. Sixthly, the main quests suffer the same with previous TES, that is the world don't run by it self, it is the player who move the things to come. The player will be directed to someone or place to "activate" the quest. So long as the player don't "activate" it the world is stagnant. Everybody will talk about the thing, but nothing happen until the player "activate" them to happen. Seventh, the leveling system is better than previous TES, but still it is not so interesting. Most perks are just passive upgrades, and there are little information on what and how the perk function, some are even misleading. Some perks are wasted depended on what type of a character played, have to choose them just to unlock the perk really needed, so it is a waste on certain level ups. Eighth, there are too much of fetch quests, eliminate certain NPCs quests, bring certain item to certain NPCs quests, in which are boring. There is no background story or whatever, we just being told to do it and then it's done. Some quests are not even quests, but considered a "quest". And we are the hero of the land, the Dragon Slayer, the Arch Mage and whatever title we get, the game treated us as nothing, we still have to prove our self to join some faction, we still doing some menial tasks, we still become errand boy/girl to someone. Ninth, too many bugs and glitches, no need to say more. Tenth, this game is empty, despite all the wonders and beautiful things in it, still it feels empty... Expand
  65. Feb 12, 2013
    I'm removing points mostly for the interface. We're lucky to have mods like SkyUI but they don't fix everything. I wish Bethesda tried to fix this instead of producing content DLC. Hell if they created a DLC for PC users I would support that.
  66. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    Skyrim is a good game. Great graphics, landscapes, a nice world to explore etc..But, could have been better, should have been better. Much better. Main drawback is the lack of a moving story, of a good story At the end you wonder why you bother to fight at all. No real interest for any faction means that you have no interest in game at all. And story is the No1 criterion for any RPG in my opinion. Compared to Morrowind and Oblivion is a step backwards. I hope this trend for better graphics instead of a better story to stop.(Daggerfall didnt have a great story either but had much more freedom in everything else). Expand
  67. Mar 8, 2013
    even at first i though this game was simply AMAZING, i didnt even mention dawnguard, hell i just love me some skyrim, i just enjoy this world!... then came dragonborn along i looove me some dragonborn, patches came out wich removed the crappy bottleneck from the consoles and gave me a 25 fps boost and holy hot damn now they are releasing patch 1.9 wich brings in "legendary" skills only to steal a couple of hundred of more hours of my time there is nothing more i can do but give this game a 10... its also only 30 bucks on steam... what more can you ask for Expand
  68. Mar 10, 2013
    This game just.... I am torn. Sometimes I think "Wow if my old pen and paper days of Dungeons and Dragons (I started playing that when Gary Gygax first started out with the Basic set...) could come to life this would be it!" and think it deserves a 10. Then "Damn this is buggy as all hell and to think I waited as long as I did and it still NOT FIXED!" and I want to give it a 5. The visuals are stunning. The open world aspects are SO welcome as I love sandbox type of games. The immersion is great until you hit one of the numerous quest killing bugs. Perhaps the most central quest line, when you receive the greeting from the Grey Beards WILL NOT COMPLETE no matter how many times I try or do anything differently. I have watched goats floating in the air about 150 feet off the ground only to fall straight down and then start to roam around. But the voice acting good. The crafting is very fun. Re-playability, if you can tolerate the bugginess is high. I still find myself hopping into the game when I can because I do have fun with it. That is as long as I don't want to alt-tab from the game. When I come back in I get the double cursor bug with is WAY irritating. It is also SLOW to react at times and you can make the AI bug out pretty easily. With all of that said I can only give this an 8. Or should that be a 7. Or a 5. Oh no it should be a 10. And then there are the times when it turns into tedium... So 8 it is. Great potential, just not the best execution. Expand
  69. Mar 11, 2013
    So there's this little game called SkyRim said no one ever! This game is massive. Not only in actual map size, but in gameplay too. The skill upgrades, armour, weapons, magic, potions...the list is too long, all of it, is top shelf. This game will take over life if you're not careful. It's reasonably accessible if you've never played an Elder Scroll game (I hadn't before). My only complaint would be that there's too much too do and if you're someone who wants to finish every quest/task it may become overwhelming. However, I think that's a good thing. 1.5 years after the release I'm still playing and enjoying my time. You will too. Expand
  70. Mar 12, 2013
    its a brilliant virtual environment game and the number of fields it helps us to specialize in is just amazing. also the gameplay, graphics and the freedom it grants us to roam in the virtual world is just mind blowing. i would give it a 11 out of 10 if possible
  71. Mar 15, 2013
    Buy, this, game.
    Ugh, stupid 150 character limit.
    Here is why you need to buy this game-
    It's a game where you raid dungeons, use the souls of dragons to murder more dragons, and save the world.
    Sound generic?
    Well, it's awesome.
    So go buy it.
  72. Mar 15, 2013
    this is the my most played game second to the sims 3. this game has so much to do and is the king on the pc. i recomend buying the pc version over the xbox or ps3 versions those suck with no mod support. this is a game you can just keep coming back to
  73. Mar 16, 2013
    SKYRIM IS THE BEST GAME EVER good engine,Easy to MOD,i like attacking a civilian and i like explore everywhere and buy some material to upgrade sword,Shield and body armor,and forge a sword i like that
  74. Mar 21, 2013
    For me, Skyrim lasted quite a while. I put about 70 hours into it on PC and half as much on Xbox 360. At first it was all so familiar, you start off as a prisoner. While this irritated me I still carried on. The character creation I didn't like, nowhere as much freedom as its predecessor, Oblivion. I escaped the prison, got out. Just walked around a bit. Explored, I suppose I enjoyed it moderately. I did the main quest which was...to be honest...a bit rubbish. You basically have to kill a dragon, a dragon thats slightly bigger than all the other ones. I love the combat, its so simple and easy to use and is much more enjoyable than having to constantly press buttons. Although combat was simplified it felt...so..dumbed down, the magic you use was visually impressive yet boring. While there were significant improvements from the two previous games there were also let-downs. I felt as though the quests were errands "go and deliver this to my wife." "Could you take this spiced meat for the Jarls dogs" They....bored me to death.

But really...I enjoyed it while it lasted. Although I really have NO urge to go back to it I have some good memories of exciting battles, interesting places, hilarious glitches and those funny gamer poops. The graphics is ABSOLUTELY fine, it sickens me when people complain about its...texture glitches....I mean I really didn't notice it much and I didn't really care. Its truly a shame that I'm bored of it now, but hey, I liked it. I would recommend it but I wouldn't say "GET THE GAME NOW!!!!"
  75. Mar 23, 2013
    I hate the setting, i hate the cold, i hate that they left out my beloved throwing items from morrowind, they narrowed down the skills, and consolized this one. But lets me honest, this is a elderscrolls and the fact i got the pc version, mods fix everything. 800 hours in, and still playing. These games are the biggest bang for my buck that i have ever purchased. (including mmos), Since my beginnings in daggerfall i been loyal to this series, even when i disagree with the direction its heading, and im hopeful for the future of the series.

Overall this is, as i said, the biggest bang for you buck ever made, i wouldnt hesitate paying 100$ for this type of game, especially since the most recent trend of triple A titles i get barely 10-14 hours, if that.
  76. Mar 25, 2013
    The game gets a 7, because while it's a great free roaming action rpg, the missions are basically can be summed up as "go here kill something" or "go here, kill something and bring me (insert an item)". While the world is full of monsters and dragons and bandits..it feels static. Nothing changes, no matter how many crypts and dungeons you clear, it seems like they weren't really bothering anyone, and it won't make anything different, since you cleared many bunch of them. People say the same things, act the same way, doing the same exact things, like nothing has happened. Not even the threat of the dragons really bothered them at all, nevermind the fact, that dragons seem to be rather occupied by killing the wildlife anyway. The magic is very hampered and uninspiring, while the close combat feels like just whacking around. Graphics is great, although there are plenty of low resolution textures, that makes it look like a game from 2006. The real score the game should deserve would be around 5 or 6, but because of the thousands of mods and the time I have put into it, it gets a 7. All the so called pro-reviewers giving 9 and10 are smoking something, that they should share. There is no way this game is perfect. Expand
  77. Mar 27, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a great game. It's beautiful, content-rich, and addictive. Hundreds of hours I've poured into this juggernaut of an RPG, and I've loved every single minute of it. However, this game is not without its flaws. Voice acting lacks variation, the main quest is obscenely short, characters and factions lack development (especially the main villain), combat is shallow and repetitive, and by God, is this game glitchy. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  78. Mar 31, 2013
    Okay this is a little hard to understand, but let's start with the positives. Here we go. Skyrim is a great and vast world to explore with quests everywhere. They have improved a lot of things such as smithing, alchemy, and enchanting. Now we go onto the bad. The main quest is far too short and very dull and meaningless and then there are the guilds which are shorter and much worse. Here is a nutshell of all the major guilds. Companions: Short and dull with little to do. College: Short and most of the quests are search and retrieve. Dark Brotherhood: The shortest of all the guilds and where are the cool kills from Oblivion that I was hoping for, oh right there not in Skyrim. Thieves' Guild or should it be called the Followers' Guild, because there is ONE thief quest and it wasn't very good in the first place. Also the storyline of each of these guilds was dull, boring, and at the end nothing special happened. Also at the end of each of these guild and all throughout Skyrim are those MMO quests that have you kill or retrieve something. Sadly most of the quest that I was talking about are kill or retrieve even some of the guild and main quests. There is also no one in the entire game who you can actually like or remember, even your spouse is forgettable. You also feel like everything was for nothing, like you actions didn't change the world at all. The only people who actually talk about your actions are the guards and those are for only joining guilds. There is also the times when an NPC's voice will change. Now we get onto weakness number 2, Combat. The game's combat system is terrible. You basically spam the the attack key with no true challenge in the entire game and that is unless you go on to a harder difficulty and than the game gets even worse. The reason why is it becomes nearly impossible to play a Wizard at the start and everything kills you in ONE hit while you need to hit them at least TEN times. Then there is the leveling system which also pretty poor and this is because it makes the game feel more like a hack and slash than a real RPG. You put perks into skill trees and that is it you can't even get all the perks. Previous Elder Scrolls games had a more RPG feeling to them and who knows why they changed it. Then there are the bugs which ruin the game and defeat any form of progression. The DLC was also terrible, but that isn't the point. Overall the game is worth ONE playthrough. Because you can play the entire game in one playthrough because Bethesda was lazy and didn't put any choices in the game that would affect endings. So this game gets a 6/10 for being so lacking. At first glance I would have given this game a 10/10 easily, but only after two playthoughs do you realize how much of a rip off this game is. My review is very late, but that is only because I sat down to play some Skyrim today, but could not last five minutes. Do not get this game at full price and if you do get it for PC or better yet get Oblivion or Morrowind both of them are cheaper and will keep hold of your attention much longer. Skyrim is by far the worst Elder Scrolls game I have ever played and I do not intend on playing it again. Expand
  79. Mar 31, 2013
    After playing Oblivion, I can definitely say that Skyrim, although improved in some areas, still has major flaws. First off, it stinks of console gaming. It was designed for the consoles, with the PC gamer being held as a second class citizen. The graphics are no where near where they should be, the quests are uninteresting/ridiculous and the menu is terrible. I feel like everything was "dumbed down" for those that can't really *get* into a good, deep RPG. Instead, it was directed at the COD players out there (yes, you know who you are) that want INTENSE, ACTION PACKED AWESOME, but without the mystical backing. I'm sorry, but when I become the leader of a guild, I want to feel like I earned it. The quest lines were shallow, rewards for exploration were weak, and the world didn't really come together like it should have, Overall, it wasn't a *bad* experience, but I was definitely disappointed. I would have rated it higher, had it not been the next game in the TES series, but Bethesda I expected better. Expand
  80. Apr 3, 2013
    This game pales in comparison to its predecessor, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, particularly in the writing department. Quests are typically short and bland. Each of the guild stories are only about eight quests long, and no, "go brawl with the buxom barbarian" doesn't count. The main story is similarly disappointing.
    Ultimately, Skyrim feels more like a single player MMO than the grand
    addition to the Elder Scrolls franchise that it's made out to be. Expand
  81. Apr 8, 2013
    The best one of The Elder Scrolls series, an epic masterpiece, sure it got bad AI and has it's glitches and bugs but it doesn't take away from this great experience.
  82. Apr 7, 2013
    Uninstalled after 27 hours played. Got really bored to go on. The game has it's charm, graphics is good, so is lore. Everything else is not entertaining.
    Combat is absent as a class, you just keep hitting the enemy time after time, no perks, no skills, nothing. Criticals do not depend on where you hit, head or toe. Playing an archer, I finished with sneaking up to an enemy, shooting them,
    and if it is not one-shot, they basically ignore the arrow in their head, look around amazed, and whisper something like "Tsss! I think someone might be around!" Oh really, do you.
    These fighting episodes, similar like twin brothers, come between talking to npcs and running around the terrain, which both feel good. Even though my horse, standing on literally vertical mountain wall felt somewhat weird. Quests are typical. Kill, bring, find. No big deal if we had good combat, but alas.
    Things like dragons conveniently landing for the melee characters to kill them didn't let me feel this was fo real as well.
  83. Apr 12, 2013
    An overrated game for sure. I've played it for more than 600 hours but I still don't find this game satisfying. A lot of bugs and the main story sucked a goats scrotum, yummie. It is surely an improvement from Oblivion but this game still isn't enough to reach the crown of RPG's. Skyrim would be better of without without the boring landscape. Yeah, I know it's a part of the Elder Scrolls lore but come on. Sure, it's beautiful in the beginning but the game lacks creative design. A lot of potential but if the game would have had a better story, the game would improve enough for being called a RPG. Now it is a action free roaming sorta game. Bethesda's biggest mistake was the DLC's, the biggest money stealing DLC's ever. Dawnguard and Hearthfire should have been a part of the original Skyrim and Dragonborn was unfinished. Good game but still overrated. Expand
  84. Apr 13, 2013
    What is the definition of a good game? The answer is: one that You can play all along and over and over. So this is Skyrim. I have played over 200 h and I am doing it still. I have created lots of characters and visited almost all locations on the map. If You like TES You will love this game, if You like RPG games, this is a title that will take lots of Your free time.
  85. Apr 13, 2013
    No tengo experiencia en escribir criticas, pero aquí va.
    The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim, tenia muchas esperanzas al ver el teaser trailer de este juego, al jugarlo, gaste varias horas, el juego en si es divertido, la libertad que tenes es inimaginable.
    Cosas buenas: Gráficos excepcionales, muy buen estilo de combate, las misiones opcionales son muy divertidas (sobre todo los del gremio de
    los ladrones y The DarkBrotherhood), y varias son mas divertidas que la historia principal del juego. Las ciudad estan muy bien hechas (excepto Markarth)
    Cosas malas: El voice acting es aburrido, es como si los voice actors estaban muy aburrido cuando grababan sus voces para este juego, la historia era bastante mala, muy predecible, muy aburrida, en varios cutscenes me dormía, la inteligencia artificial de los compañeros que te ayudan es muy horrible, se traban con piedras, y encima se mueren de 2 golpes contra una rata de alcantarilla. Subis de nivel extremadamente rápido y el juego no supone ser un desafió, lo jugué directamente en "master" y la verdad no me supuso ninguna dificultad. Los monstruos no cambian su nivel cuando vos subís a medida que juegas al juego. Osea, un día estas en nivel 2 te encentras un Falmer y capaz te da un poco de pelea, pero cuando estas al nivel 10 o mas, lo vences de 1 o 2 golpes. El Sneaking system da miedo, te sorprenderá lo idiotas que son los NPCs al no verte cuando estas al lado de ellos y no te escuchan.
    Otra cosa horrible son las tierras Skyrim, TOOODO pero TOOODO es nieve y nieve y nada mas que nieve, cerca de Whiterun capaz encentras un bosque verde, pero solo cubre como un 5% del mapa. La peleas contra los dragones es horripilante mente fácil (cuando tendría que suponer ser un desafió), las misiones opcionales como la del gremio de los asesinos o incluso las misiones opcionales comunes son muucho mas interesantes que la historia principal del juego. También el oro, el oro es tan pero TAAAN facil de encontrar, que termine con casi 70000 de oro (llegue hasta nivel 54 por cierto), vas a una ruina enana y en cada vasija encontraras como 20 de oro para arriba mínimo. Y una de las cosas que mas me enojo es el conjuro FrostBite, esta muy overpowered, como un poder novice puede llegar a ser tan poderoso como una de las habilidades expertas en Destrucción?.
    Bueno, capaz lo encuentren divertido, pero comparado con su antecesor, este es muy malo, pero le puse 5 porque aunque tenga varias cosas malas, me divierte un poco todavía, no se si recomendarlo, capaz lo disfrutes, pero por poco tiempo...
  86. Jul 12, 2013
    The world of Skyrim is beautiful and filled with detail, yet an uninterresting story with evenly boring characters, dated physics and textures, and frustrating combat make this game a bit of a missed chance, overrated as never before, and simply a copy of everything Bethesda already did before.
  87. Apr 16, 2013
    Awsome world full of exploring and amazing locations filled with boring,anonymous characters (tell me names of 5 your favourite characters).Combat is bad (magical atacks are good but normal nah) it is just about clicking on two buttonts without any strategy preparaton or thinking how to strike.There is so much to do i lost in it. We were talking about Skyrim with my schoolmates and i asked who had it like me (played skyrim for days enjoying it and then when i had like 40 quests to do i turned it of because i didnt knew where to go first. There is so much good ideas in this game but i think they need better realizaton on them. Expand
  88. Jun 8, 2013
    With a high spec gaming computer I loved this game, but I think it would be good low, medium or high. The story line is good Subtracting that you do similar quests no matter what side you choose The graphics are one of its high points, its very realistic. The modding community on Steam and Skyrim Nexus makes the after-game of Skyrim even better. You can change the game to what ever you want it to be with just a few clicks and a little bit of downloading. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes Fantasy-ish games. Expand
  89. Apr 21, 2013
    I played this game for 250+ hours and it locked up. The recovery took almost two days and then it did the same thing again! I had my system checked and passed with flying colors! I think it stinks that the company can`t or won`t do anything about this. The game is fantastic while it works. I really enjoyed it while it lasted but will buy nothing from this company again!!!
  90. Apr 23, 2013
    Skyrim, the new epic series for the Elder Scrolls franchise is just amazing. You start the game as a prisoner... Again? Isn't being a prisoner getting old right now? And finally dragons have been added to the Elder Scrolls and that's one of the most things i LOVE about this game! Right after you escape Helgen (i wont spoil what happened there see it in the game yourself you will already have a wonderful and epic world with just amazing graphics. Its even the start and you can choose your path if you want to be evil, good and even just start exploring this amazing world of Skyrim at the beginning. The world really so free you can do everything you want! I spent hours and hours exploring the world and completing a ton of side quests! The game is gonna just make you play it for countless hours! BUT the horse riding system is so bugged out that you will just waste your money on a horse which will die in about a few seconds of you riding it...Also you can even get married, have kids, a epic house and everything to plots of land and to your very own dragon! And when you help people and you are really good to them they will be willing to follow you and carry out your orders as a return for you being so good for them! I really have much, much more to tell about Skyrim but i just can't say it! Its an amazing game but for some bugs i must give it a awesome 9 out of 10! I really wanted to give it a 10 out of 10 but the bugs just forced me to give it a 9. The game is still so beautiful though and you must buy it NOW if you don't have it! Expand
  91. Apr 24, 2013
    This game is a game that keeps on giving, you can never get bored of playing?? Amazing amazing total badass dragon killing wonder mint

Get it now and play on your own!!! But its not nearly as sad or as lonely as you think lol!!
  92. Apr 24, 2013
    This game is truly a masterpiece there is a god and Bethesda is it. Stunning gameplay, stunning graphics and stunning nerd gasms basically stunning all around just make sure you have 3 months to spend becoming one with your monitor. There is one complaint i do have with it is the story first just the whole chosen one idea has never appealed to me and i always view it as kind of a cop out of telling a more complicated and interesting story but skyrim is the expectation it still delivers a fantastic story with lots of great characters BUT PLAY ON PC MOD AND 300 PERCENT MORE CONTENT its is well worth it if you can but i'm sure the xbox 360 version is great to. Expand
  93. Apr 25, 2013
    After spending hundreds of hours in this amazing universe, i have come to the conclusion, that this game deserves a 10/10. The game is very re-playable. It has tons of quests. Tons of weapons. Tons of interesting characters. Skyrim offers everything you would expect from a RPG. You will probably loose yourself in this game for many hours.
  94. Apr 25, 2013
    Bethesda stretched themselves too thin with this game, and the result is a game that lacks any depth and is instead is crammed with repetitive and trivial content. Unlike the excellent Fallout 3, there are no significant choices to be made in any of the quests you will undertake. Solutions to most everything will be to kill, and kill some more. There is so much exposition thrown at you that you will start to lose track of what's going on, and without any truly memorable set piece type quests to back them up, they remain nothing more than exposition. The world, though undeniably large, starts to blend together into an indistinguishable mish-mash of dungeons, forests, and towns. There are hundreds of NPCs, but just like the locations and quests, they are too many and too shallow. There are no branching dialogue trees; most characters will have 3 or 4 topics of conversation. Worst of all is hearing the same 10 or so voice actors spread across the hundreds of NPCs. The art is a mixed bag. The color palette is grey and drab, suitable for the Nordic environment, but it becomes an eyesore over time. There are some great looking environments, such as the dense forests and mountain vistas, however many areas look like they were hurriedly built, such as the northern coastline. The characters look as stiff as ever; both in their procedurally generated faces and their terrible animations... both Bethesda trademark. The music is uniformly excellent, though it can get repetitive hearing the same battle and town themes over and over. Don't get me wrong, there is fun to be had. Play the main quest line and a few of the faction quest lines, and you will get the best of what Skyrim has to offer. Delve any deeper and you will ultimately find a shallow experience devoid of any meaning. Expand
  95. Apr 25, 2013
    After sinking over 600 hours into this game I can safely say I got what I paid for.
    The game is packed full of things to do and places to see, the in-game world is massive and full of secrets to find. It's easy to say your just going on for a few minuets but then finding yourself still playing after unintended hours.

The graphics, while not among the best of 2011 are still very strong
    and only help in immersing you into the world of Tamriel even more, from the snow covered shores to the dark caverns under the ground. The variety of things to see is rich as well whether that's waterfalls, mountains or old ruined forts. If you own the PC version of the game you can even improve the graphics further with the help of the brilliant modding community. I'd give the graphics a strong 9 out of 10

Now gameplay is something Bethesda have improved over the past Elder Scrolls titles from Morrowind to Oblivion and now given it a further upgrade in Skyrim. While It may not be the best combat system I've ever used it still gets the job done and serves up an interesting perk system to add to the experience, but I believe Bethesda have focused more on the exploring part of the game which I have no problem with, it offers something different to the so linear games we see dominating the market these days.

Continuing on gameplay, you can almost pick up and use anything in this game from buckets to tiny pieces of chalk, this is another great boost to immersion in this game but comes at the price of a few bugs here and there, despite this I'd still give it a solid 9 out of 10

The Soundtrack to this game is simply a masterpiece from the familiar Jeremy Soule (Guild Wars, Morrowind and Oblivion). From just strolling in the plains or fighting in one massive battle, the music is always keeping touch of what's happening on the screen. Jeremy Soule has truly outdone himself with these sweeping scores and easily gets a 10 out of 10 from me.

As for the game being worth the price tag, I couldn't recommend any game further more then Skyrim, no other game can come close to the 600 hours I spent (and still am spending) in this game and it could be a while before another does. 10 out of 10

The menus in this game do what there supposed to do and arrange the catergories of the game nicely, but can be a pain to go through if you have a full inventory, loading screens are also nicely thought out with facts about the lore and tips to enhance the experience, the downside being how long loading can be for consoles or PC's with many mods. 9 out of 10

The main story is interesting I didn't find it quiet as absorbing as Oblivion's but this is more then made up for in the other story lines, something Oblivion didn't for me. The Thieves guild quest line was outstanding and I really enjoyed it with it's many twists and turns, The Dark Brotherhood in similar fashion. The College of Winterhold was good but was far to short and left so many things unanswered, I was left wanting more, with The Companions seeming rather more bland then the rest but still a fun ride. 9 out of 10 here.

In my opinion Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game yet, improving on everything it's predecessors got wrong and putting them right.
    While I doubt we will ever get a "Perfect Game" I believe TESV: Skyrim is the closest we may see for a while, I've loved my time in it and can't wait to see what Bethesda have to offer for TES6 so that's why I'm giving Skyrim a 10 out of 10
  96. Apr 27, 2013
    Perfectly polished and done. Hasn't been dumbed down- has been made fun, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like fantasy. The game lacks its own personality, but makes up for that with so much content and hidden secrets that after 200 hours I keep finding new things.
  97. Apr 28, 2013
    I am happy that the TES has found a more mainstream acceptance. However, here I'll only be focusing on the parts i didn't like about skyrim, because all the rest has already been covered by others and also reflects in my score.

I don't understand, Did some writers resign from bethesda after oblivion? Skyrim doesn't have the same level of quests as Oblivion had. Most of the side missions
    and guild missions seemed generic to me. Dark Brotherhood used to be awesome (remember whodunnit from oblivion?) And it seems that the thieves guild has lost all honor. The addition of the civil war quests is a welcome but there is not much impact after you do them.

Despite all of this, skyrim is still a must buy. I just wished my character would have had a more substantial impact on the world
  98. Apr 30, 2013
    Sure, it contains a lot of bugs, some immersion breakers. This doesn't detract from the fact that there are -very- few rpgs that feel as open as this. It has a huge lifespan for most players, lasting 100s of hours.
  99. May 1, 2013
    I'd give vanilla a 6 and modded skyrim a 9- hence why I leveled it out to an 8.

Vanilla Skyrim was a bit lacking in all categories. The stories (main, guilds, etc) were all shorter than I would have liked and expected, the environment was sparse (creatures/enemies etc), and the immersion wasn't up to par either (skyrim is supposed to be at war but there were no real military clashes).

The TES modding community has always been stellar and skyrim was no different. All but a few of my major complaints were resolved by the mod community.

Skyrim is worth a playthrough once as a vanilla game but the mods make it a great experience.
  100. May 2, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played and I've been playing for 30 years. The game is great and the user mods make it amazing. So detailed and so delicious! Yes, there are some odd bugs in the game and the main story line at the end (the dragon one) is kind of uneventful, but since I can't give it a rating of 99.9% I will throw them a bone for coming out with DLC's.
  101. Aug 9, 2013
    Great game, but found that I had to fix a lot of things with mods making it feel incomplete. For some reason as well, I dont find myself replaying it as much as if it was Oblivion. For one there's a war or battle going on but it doesn't feel like that in this game, where as in Oblivion, u were fighting those gates and demonic creatures. Though its still a good game, just wish there was more to it story wise! Collapse

1. Feb 29, 2012