8.0

1. Jul 15, 2012
    I found the previous elder scolls games pretty impressive, but Skyrim for me beat them everywhere. I will not talk about graphics and gameplay, etc , which are flawless for me, they are exactly what I expect of good games in 2011-2012, nothing really revolutionary, but a true atmosphere.

Where the game becomes really amazing, it's when we go on the meat of the game, the rpg aspect. It's one of the first time (in my experience at least) on a video game that even if there is a main quest, the universe is so rich and the quests so well written, so many little details, stories in the stories, that you almost forget about this "main" quest! There are so many things to do... you are just from time to time remembered of the main quest when suddenly out of nowhere a dragon is flying over you, shouting, and landing right in your back... Well, the feeling is unique.

Another important thing, is the modding community, bethesta seem to love the moders contrary to so many big recent releases, and there are so many good mods...

And last but not least, they are not selling you countless useless dlc even before the release. You pay a good game, you get it the first time!

If you love a good rpg, this game is definitely a must have.
  2. Jul 17, 2012
    All the great expansive game of Morrowind, and the artistic direction of oblivion, but... better? Every place is like a photo, or a work of art on a canvas. I shall not go into further detail.

Downside, quests are short.
  3. Aug 8, 2012
    Unmodded I'd call it a 8/10... Without Sky UI this wasn't a PC release just a console port.... I have a lot of fun playing this game. Particularly modding it. I find it interesting with some of these people reviewing a sandbox RPG... like it was a purely story driven one... It's open ended you don't have to do the quest lines an any particular order. Adding in the radiant AI (quest on theUnmodded I'd call it a 8/10... Without Sky UI this wasn't a PC release just a console port.... I have a lot of fun playing this game. Particularly modding it. I find it interesting with some of these people reviewing a sandbox RPG... like it was a purely story driven one... It's open ended you don't have to do the quest lines an any particular order. Adding in the radiant AI (quest on the fly) it's very well done! Expand
  4. Aug 12, 2012
    A great improvement over previous Elder Scrolls games. The faces weren't creepy, and the dungeons felt suitably different. The enormous world has a lot of fun things no matter where you start looking, and the level system makes it possible to build a large variety of characters without the risk of making an inept character that existed in previous games. The main reason why this didn'tA great improvement over previous Elder Scrolls games. The faces weren't creepy, and the dungeons felt suitably different. The enormous world has a lot of fun things no matter where you start looking, and the level system makes it possible to build a large variety of characters without the risk of making an inept character that existed in previous games. The main reason why this didn't get a 10 from me was because of the bugs. It was almost impossible for me to complete all but the most simple questlines without encountering one or several. A lesser reason, although one which I hear far more people complaining about, was the huge number of NPCs that were considered "important" and therefore could not be killed. There were many situations in which an annoying or outright evil NPC could not be killed, at least until a certain point in a questline. This may just be an instance of a larger problem, as there are a large number of points in the game where the player is forced into a single course of action, or an event is triggered regardless of how you attempt to avoid it. This was annoying, but did not prevent me from enjoying the game. Expand
  5. Sep 22, 2012
    An amazing experience. Great graphics, storyline, and attention to detail. There are so many different ways to play the game. Even after the ending of the game, the game still doesn't actually end. So many side quest to do, and a variety of weapons and armor. A great game, definitely worth $60.
  6. Sep 24, 2012
    Skyrim is one of the legendary games, the games of the decade. Until this moment i believe it's the best of its time ou there. The graphics are phenomenal, as is the beautiful music and sounds. The map is huge and you can go wherever you like right from the start. There is a huge plethora of quests and a very small amount of them is boring "kill those", "fetch me that" style. There areSkyrim is one of the legendary games, the games of the decade. Until this moment i believe it's the best of its time ou there. The graphics are phenomenal, as is the beautiful music and sounds. The map is huge and you can go wherever you like right from the start. There is a huge plethora of quests and a very small amount of them is boring "kill those", "fetch me that" style. There are also a lot less bugs than in the previous elder scrolls games. The inventory needed improvement, but who cares! skyUI mod takes care of that. And now i'm getting to the point. The best part about this game besides making your character from scratch and besides your ability to do almost anything you can imagine is the mods. There are countless of mods and expansions that take the game to a whole new level literally. This really is a game that is hard not to enjoy. I urge you to try it! FUS RO DAH! Expand
  7. Oct 20, 2012
    There are people writing user reviews that are complete idiots! A big and complex fantasy world like I never saw in other games, and better that I thought possible in this hardware generation. This game is awesome!
  8. Sep 28, 2012
    V Skyrim is the first title in the series that I played, it gave me a good impression, everything seems to be in the right place. Sometimes I experienced some crashes but the world is huge so plausible. Very addictive story and thrilling end.
  9. Oct 4, 2012
    First of all, story line is not important for me so I can't say anything about it.
    The thing I really love about this game is that you can just wander around the enormous world. Also you can adjust the game with mods from workshop and console to fit the style you like to play (for example - increase weight limit, remove level cap, remake buff mechanics, add spells/perks/quests/items/money/locations/textures/etc.). I'm level 80 now (max is 60.. or 50 :) ) and not even close to the main quest end - it is still very interesting just to explore new locations.
    First I played an illegal copy (no demo exists, shame on you!) and it was really buggy, but by the time I bought a legal one those where fixed. Little bugs still occur sometimes, like misplaced textures and that sort of stuff.
    I remember now just 3 disappointing things: 1) After installation of more than 50 mods if I run far enough while game is autosaving it sometimes freezes (may be a bug of a particular mod, who knows); 2) 9 shortcuts for spells/gear/shouts is not enough for me, I'd like to have an ability to make more of them (for example, not only 1-9, but also Ctrl+1, Alt+1, F1 - something like Lineage II and other MMOs). 3) Master spells of destruction where quite disappointing for the first time - you can't move while you cast them, so they were useless with my playstyle.
    Also I would like to mention that if you know the way you like to play - Skyrim has some possibilities of gameplay customization. On the other side, if you'll install every mod you see (without thinking) it may ruin the game. Just play a vanilla one then :) .
    I think Skyrim deserves a 9.5, but in comparison with other games on the market I'll give it a strong 10.
  10. Oct 17, 2012
    Epic, beautiful, and a true single player game...absolutely wonderful. I also love the fact that there isn't really a main quest, there is nothing to 'finish'. It is like the real world insofar as even when you finish your quest line, the world keeps turning and nothing truly changes. I know there is the whole "Dragonborn" thing, but the game never forces you to finish that line, orEpic, beautiful, and a true single player game...absolutely wonderful. I also love the fact that there isn't really a main quest, there is nothing to 'finish'. It is like the real world insofar as even when you finish your quest line, the world keeps turning and nothing truly changes. I know there is the whole "Dragonborn" thing, but the game never forces you to finish that line, or even mention it if you don't kill that first dragon. So you are free to built your archer or wizard or assassin or thief or whatever it is you want to. It is also great that, with some mods, you can really push your hardware and have a truly beautiful world to explore. I ran 2 680 classifieds 4gb. I spent $1400 on videocards for this game and I have no regrets. And massive thanks to Beth for authoring official mod tools and opening up their game, which is a very rare thing today. My favorite game since Fallout: New Vegas. Expand
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    One of the best modern RPG's released recently. Interesting quests and a strong story make it a must have for any RPG fan. Only falls down in the general nerfing of the gameplay compared to previous Elder Scrolls to cater to a console/casual gamer crowd.
  12. Nov 27, 2012
    I personally have put over 400 hours into this game and still enjoy it! to solve all the graphical "problems" which kill the game, get mods! to fix lack of excitement, get mods! with the right combination of mods this game looks better than crysis AND has incredible gameplay! *TES GAMES ARE MADE TO BE MODDED THERES A REASON ALL THE GAMES COME WITH A MODLOADER*
  13. Dec 9, 2012
    While many people hail this game as one of the best games released for PC, i simply cannot agree. The world is huge and the number of choices in how to spend your time is staggering. The land is beautifully carved and the enemies are incredibly varied and fun. However, the dungeons all feel the same, the story is poorly delivered and game play is incredibly flat and dull. The game boastsWhile many people hail this game as one of the best games released for PC, i simply cannot agree. The world is huge and the number of choices in how to spend your time is staggering. The land is beautifully carved and the enemies are incredibly varied and fun. However, the dungeons all feel the same, the story is poorly delivered and game play is incredibly flat and dull. The game boasts hundreds of hand crafted dungeons. What they don't mention is that they all look the same, have similar enemies and will be where you spend most of your time. The open world is beautiful but its hard to appreciate that when you've just defeated your thousandth skeleton and can't see more than a few meters away from you in a cave. When you do get to spend some time outside, the game is incredibly fun. Running around the countryside is enjoyable and often my favorite parts are traveling between quests. Outside is where you'll find all the fun enemies and where the open area makes combat much more enjoyable (Although still note fantastic). The beautifully crafted world can't count for much when you spend so much of your time under it. As far as quests go, Skyrim has a huge amount to do. Most of them are well designed and do a fairly good job at engrossing you in the world. However, there are a few that will frustrate you to the point where you resort to walkthroughs or a few where you're forced to save and reload so many times that you just can't get into the game anymore. The different guilds provide neat stories with pretty nice rewards. A few of the missions are, as mentioned before, frustrating, but overall fun and a good thing to check out. The story is... pretty lame. There are no plot twists, almost no character development and pretty little to do as far as the main story line is concerned. That being said, I won't gripe on it too much since im fairly certain the main focus of the game is the open world, do what you want, thing and a lengthy, twist ridden plot would interfere with that. Just don't expect much from the storyline. Now for my biggest issue with Skyrim and the biggest reason I gave it as low a rating as I did. The gameplay... sucks. The combat feels incredibly clunky and while it may have worked for previous Elder Scrolls games, it needed to be revamped. This becomes especially apparent if you choose a pure melee character. This is nothing compared to how poorly balanced the game is. I'd go as far as to say that it is broken like no other. Leveling up is trivial once you find a few tricks. Crafting daggers makes getting the highest level armor a breeze. You can spend hours playing the game properly and gain maybe a level or two. If you have enough of the most common crafting materials, make a few hundred daggers and boom, you're a Skyrim god. The crafting isn't the only unbalanced thing in the game. The combat needs some balancing as well. As a pure mage, any other non-melee unit would slay me in seconds while melee units would drop like flies. This makes the mages guild incredibly difficult and the legion incredibly easy. Additionally, the enemies don't scale well either. The game scales almost all the enemies to make sure you never get bored flicking enemies away, however, this gives you no sense of progression. You can go back to the very first dungeon you went to and you'll have only a slightly easier time with the enemies. Sure a few more new types of stronger ones will probably appear but still, the sense of overwhelming strength you expect isn't there. On the flip-side, there were cases where i'd run into a new enemy that made me fear my chances of defeating it, only to kill it in seconds. Here is a perfect example of this:

I was skipping along through a dungeon i had stumbled upon and was delving deeper and deeper to discover its treasures. The floors were littered with skeleton corpses (redundant?) and i was looking forward to finally finishing it up. I approached a gate and opened it and strolled through carelessly. I was ambushed by a skeleton that appeared behind me as i walked through the door and after quickly dispatching it, i turned to face the center of the room. There was a bone dragon. The first i'd seen. It was a towering skeletal beast that made me turn around, book it through the gate and shut the door. I was paniced and had no idea how to take on this dragon. I spent minutes searching through my arsenal of spells and weapons while checking regularely to make sure the dragon hadn't somehow figured out how to get at me. I finally decided to take the cowards way out and test the waters safely. I summoned an elemental, opened the door, let the elemental walk through.... and shut the gate behind it. Then the dragon died. Wait... WHAT?! Just like that, all this build up, all this suspense, the sense of panic and the the dragon i was looking forward to defeating was dead. Very anticlimactic

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone but a devout Elder Scrolls fan.
  14. Dec 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TL;DR I would say that Skyrim IS better than Oblivion, but as soon as you begin, you realize its simply Oblivion with a cool looking cover on it.

The good things are the fact that the graphics have been improved, the engine is improved, and... that's about it. The gameplay does not feel improved, but rather, it feels "cooler" to do things than it did in Oblivion. First off, the game has been simplified to the point of being dumbed down, which is very apparent. Combat has been molested by kill cams, which will force you to watch almost every and any enemy get executed. Its "cool" at first, but the problem arises that combat has also been reduced to "swing/shoot arrows/spam mage spells until you get the kill cam at half health". Your inventory interface was designed by Apple it would seem. The map would be great with its current design if it felt like I wasn't looking at an inaccurate 800x600 looking texture.

The new "talent trees" have also been simplified, and honestly, some of them do not belong. Smithing, for example, seems so out of place as a talent tree. The choices for combat are basic "10% more damage", "10% chance to bleed (utterly useless because enemies die quickly enough before the bleeds even work) or the good old "Your power attacks do 25% more damage and have a chance to decapitate", which should read "keep power attacking until someone dies or gets decapitated, 50/50 chance. Mages have it worse in a sense that every new tier of spells requires the corresponding talent. Overall, the trees were a good idea that failed in execution.

The story, oh god what a travesty. Alduin is arguably one of the worst "world ending ancient evils" i've seen in a while. This ancient dragon, with knowledge to destroy the world and the power to easily wipe out Skyrim, Cyrodil, and beyond, LETS YOU PROGRESS ALONG UNTIL YOU CAN KILL HIM. The story is one of these things that feels like it was the last minute addition, like "Well we got this RPG, and we have 7 days for release, now we just need a story". Hell, at least you could have some attachment to the fight between Martin and Mehrunes Dagon, it felt great at least. At no point in Skyrim's story will you go "wow, I feel so immersed in this!" Dragons were also hyped up and failed because there will be multiple times where you'll have more than 1 "random dragon" attacking, resulting in them being some "supposedly special but actually very common monsters" that end up being more of an annoyance.

The NPC's and their "radiant AI" have not been improved, but character models are at least much much better. I could go on and on, but i'll keep these last complaints short...Skills can be abused for unlimited gold, armor design goes from normal -> dark, spikes -> spikier grimdark. Skills are still grinded in the same way as Oblivion. Combat difficulty has 2 settings, murder everyone, and then come across a mage that one shots you. The world is nice but seemingly empty, save for certain quest dungeons. Quests are no more than they were in Oblivion. There are many others, but i'll stop there.

Overall, Skyrim seems to appear as though it would be Oblivion's big brother. Under close inspection, it is simply a prettier looking Oblivion, plagued with its own problems, built on hype, and marketed to the "casual" gamer. I guess you can say that some things can easily be fixed with a couple mods though, right?
  15. Dec 23, 2012
    Skyrim is a very ambitious game, just like the other Elder Scrolls games. Once again, I'm amazed by the main concepts of the game. The combat system is a very nice concept. The ability to wander the world and do whatever you feel like is another amazing concept. The item creation and enchanting are great concepts.

Unfortunately, that's about where Skyrim stops being amazing. When

Unfortunately, that's about where Skyrim stops being amazing. When the concepts become reality, everything falls apart. Overall, the game is incredibly buggy. Between the constant crashes, several broken/incompletable quests, some minor glitches, and game balance, the game is a complete wreck. I'm really impressed with the concepts of this game. The raw ideas for Skyrim are truly brilliant. The actual execution is so bad, I'm often physically sickened.

Let's start with the glitches. First of all, the game won't stop crashing. Enough said. The menus are very unresponsive and overall poorly designed. Often, my character will say something despite the fact that I chose a different dialogue option. I've had several quests become impossible to finish due to bugs. Again, enough said. Enemies are often able to attack again while in mid-attack. They can also attack backwards now and then. This is just a very very small fraction of the bugs in Skyrim.

Now let's get to game balance. The dungeons are a complete cakewalk until you get to the boss. Once you find the boss, you MUST exploit the game in some way to win. Otherwise, you simply lack the health and damage output to even have a chance of winning. An example of this would be a draugr boss which I was fighting. I would injure him to about 9/10ths of his health, and he would immediately heal himself back up to full health. An impossible fight. (I never ended up beating him, by the way). Basically, the enemies are either too easy or too hard. Most fights aren't even very fun. Even the dragon fights turn into cover based shooters, as dragons are often capable of 1-hit kills.

Once again, I applaud whoever was smart enough to come up with the concepts of this game. That said, Skyrim didn't even touch its potential. It's such a shame how it turned out.
  16. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a fantastic game,with some glitches,especially on window XP. The whole world is amazing, but in dungeons I always suffer fps drops. However it is still a good game , I like it ! Expand
  17. Mar 4, 2013
    Unfortunately I was pretty disappointed eventually with this one, as with most open-world games. Granted Skyrim is probably one of the best open-world RPGs ever made, but it still feels like a fake world with simple-minded scripted bots. The skill system is also pretty meh, I preferred the skill system of some of their previous titles. Too many skills that do nothing and the interface isUnfortunately I was pretty disappointed eventually with this one, as with most open-world games. Granted Skyrim is probably one of the best open-world RPGs ever made, but it still feels like a fake world with simple-minded scripted bots. The skill system is also pretty meh, I preferred the skill system of some of their previous titles. Too many skills that do nothing and the interface is quite horrible.

The menus are very bad, mods do help but they still are often unresponsive and annoying.
    The graphics are awesome, and so are many of the mods you can download with it. It's probably one of the most modded games in history. However even with mods it's still pretty unsatisfying, NPCs still say immersion breaking things, completnig major quest lines have very little impact on the world and the "people" there are pretty bland with very little to say or do. It certainly doesn't feel very immersive.

Once we have better AI and are able to properly communicate with the NPCs of their world, I think we'll start getting incredible "Open World Sandbox" games. But for now, we're stuck with games like this, which excel in certain areas but are ultimately not that immersive and offer very limited interaction with the NPCs.

Another thing that annoyed me is how unattractive the factions are. I didn't feel an urge to help either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials, both were pretty unappealing factions to me. Even the Blades and the Greybeards were flawed.

But I'm still giving this a 7 because it excels at certain things like graphics, amount of things to do (huge amount of content) and the lore tends to be good. If you enjoy open world type of games in a fantasy world, you'll almost certainly like this one.
  18. Mar 12, 2013
    How many awards, accolades, reviews?
    This really is a work of art with only a few minor flaws.
    Menu system could be better. (Just mod it)
    Some errors in quests. (Just mod it)
    An open world but a little too guided at times while playing "follow the marker". (Just mod it)
    Buy it, then mod it, and love it. At over 1100 play hours I can say it is a good game.
  19. May 27, 2013
    If it weren't for the incessent and sometimes quest breaking bugs, I'd have rated this higher.
    I did beat the game, but hindsight being 20/20 I realize Bethesda should probably get their together when it comes to programming. I was unable to complete a Daedric item quest because the key NPC just disappears when you enter the quest location. I was unable to ditch an item because it's flagged as a quest item, when I wasn't yet on the quest, but couldn't start the quest because I already had the item. Come on! The lore was great, and the gameplay itself was a blast. But if I had to count the hours of life I essentially wasted because I had to load an earlier save I'd probably cry. When it gets to the point you've got more than 5 save files, not because you want the option to branch in a different direction of the story, but because you want to ensure you have a recent save to go back to when you realize yet again, a quest is broken it gets to the realm of the ludicrous.
  20. May 31, 2013
    Wow. I really didn't like Elder Scrolls 3 or 4 and could never figure out what all the fuss was about. I always thought Gothic 1 and 2 were WAY better at implementing an immersive open world RPG. To me, Oblivion just seemed bland and repetitive (ie. tower after tower being closed and they all seem to be designed the same way it got tiring for me). Skyrim changed my mind though. IWow. I really didn't like Elder Scrolls 3 or 4 and could never figure out what all the fuss was about. I always thought Gothic 1 and 2 were WAY better at implementing an immersive open world RPG. To me, Oblivion just seemed bland and repetitive (ie. tower after tower being closed and they all seem to be designed the same way it got tiring for me). Skyrim changed my mind though. I think they finally figured it out. The world looks great, the quests are pretty good. It has a nice big playtime on it yet you still feel like you can play it casually in 30 minute chunks. The open world design is fantastic. Traversing the world just feels fantastic, believable, and fun. I haven't seen an open world this well designed since the Gothic games. The factions, races and classes are fun without seeming unnecessary. Yeah it's pretty hard to say anything negative about the game. I will say that as a PC player, I absolutely hated the menu system. It wouldn't have taken that much work to make a nice PC based menu system that doesn't feel like a console system. Or maybe it could have been added in as a menu option in case you wanted to play on PC with a controller. That said, their support of mods has allowed me to add in PC friendly menu systems to replace theirs, so at least I have options and can't really complain, as I'm not locked into it. Thank you Bethesda for a great gaming experience. All the accolades are well deserved. Expand
  21. Jul 17, 2013
    "The BEST Elder Scrolls to date". Probably the best RPG of the decade and still have a lot of potential for dlc 's and mods. I look forward to the next Elder Scrolls.
  22. Sep 9, 2013
    I played Skyrim from beginning to end, made a ridiculously OP set of armor and weapons, and finished about 80% of the side quests. I'm usually a completionist when it comes to games, but I had to give up on Skyrim. Although the game IS pretty and has a few epic set pieces involving dragons and cool powers, it gets old fast. There is SO MUCH to explore in this game, but a lot of it seemsI played Skyrim from beginning to end, made a ridiculously OP set of armor and weapons, and finished about 80% of the side quests. I'm usually a completionist when it comes to games, but I had to give up on Skyrim. Although the game IS pretty and has a few epic set pieces involving dragons and cool powers, it gets old fast. There is SO MUCH to explore in this game, but a lot of it seems pointless. I don't mean to discredit the game designers in any way, but I personally am not one to enjoy an area of a game just for its scenery. If I want to climb up a mountain and enjoy pretty creeks and nature, I'll go camping. It got to a point where I was doing quests just to start shortening the ridiculously long quest list. There was no real emotional attachment to any of them, and no real sense of accomplishment when completing them. No reward was better than the equipment I had crafted, and the enemies ceased to be a challenge. This leads into combat... I don't think there is much to say about this. The melee combat is still pretty clunky in this game (Bethesda... PLEASE take some notes from "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare" on how to create satisfying FPS melee combat), and the range combat consists of slowing down enemies or pathing them into obstacles and pew pewing them do death. There is no real challenge aside from a few encounters, and even then, it is the same concept; just against a harder hitting, longer lasting enemy. The game can become a grind (especially if you are a completionist), and the key battles like Dragon fights become a bore. A real benefit to the game would have been some form of multiplayer (the hardest opponent is always human in my opinion), but we'll just have to wait for the Elder Scroll MMO for that... As an art piece or interactive movie, I give this game a 10/10. Beautifully done... but as a game... I'm sorry, it's just not appealing to me. It's a humongous beautiful world full of repetition and empty of emotion. You got half of the formula Bethesda. Make your game a bit more challenging, clean up your combat mechanics, vary the gameplay a bit more... I'm going to go play some Dark Souls Expand
  23. Oct 23, 2014
    Amazing game. Obviously. It is Elder Scrolls after all and they really did a superb job improving on the previous instalment. Still playing this 3 years after release.
  24. Nov 19, 2014
    Offers a big open world and creates a genuine sense of adventure, but after a while everything feels very samey. Looting tombs and dungeons become a routine chore and the core, hack and slash gameplay soon turn into a dull affair.
  25. Nov 20, 2014
    Played this game for days on end. Really enjoyed it and had a blast with all the mods that are out there for it. Still have yet to play the expansions, but I'll get those installed one day.
  26. Nov 26, 2014
    This RPG is awesome, it has an awesome open world with awesome dungeons and cave to explore, an awesomely awesome combat system, and awesomely of all, dragons. I use to hate RPGs, in till I played fallout 3 and I tried this again and forgot to upgrade my armour skills. So this and fallout 3 are my favourite RPGs and possibly games of all time, but I like skyrim a little better.
  27. Nov 24, 2014
    I'm just going to say, this game is wonderful. The soundtrack, graphics, combat, amazing. When it works. I have crashed and massive bugs can make your game experience horrid. Otherwise, this game is great. The story is very well written and keeps you glued to your chair the whole time. Free-Roam,oh man. Free-Roam is phenomenal. So many items and armor, and the beautiful landscape will makeI'm just going to say, this game is wonderful. The soundtrack, graphics, combat, amazing. When it works. I have crashed and massive bugs can make your game experience horrid. Otherwise, this game is great. The story is very well written and keeps you glued to your chair the whole time. Free-Roam,oh man. Free-Roam is phenomenal. So many items and armor, and the beautiful landscape will make you think "Wow". Overall this is a great game from a good developing team. Expand
  28. Nov 15, 2011
    I just made a account to review this game , played 5 hours of this game but no more !!!Will never play this game in my life i thrown the copy away ,never will i but a bethesta game first day !!
    Enterd the game for the first time i got blown away and not by the average graphics but by the thought of playing another Elder Scrolls ,loved oblivion ,fallout 3 all dlc's and new vegas. but this game is full of bugs .
    the game recomanded settings were medium , the game ran at 40 fps i really liked it ,then it droped down to 20 ,turned everything on low it runs at 80 fps but after a while it gets down to 24-30 WTF?!!?
    sometimes game crashes without any error whatsoever,searched the web and found out i was not the only one experiencing this .Technical issues made this game simply unplayable for me .Save yourself the headache and buy the 360 version please,on pc this is the lazyest port i've seen in 3 years. Leaving all the pc unplayable version, this game is pretty good,open world ,intense fights,lots of weapon models,lots of exploring,lots of quests , great nordic setting. The core gameplay is utter garbage for a AAA game the sequel to tes oblivion and morrowind,a multi million budget game, the gameplay is nothing more of garbage every swing feels floaty you dont know if u missed to hit ,i always look at enemy hp to see if i hit him ,when u hit someone it feels like u hit air ,collision detection is off and very bad,Please bethesta elarn from that INDIE developer that developed ZENO CLASH or the one who developed Dead Islands . I feel bad that people rate this game so high only because it's a TES this only encourages lazy console porting. bad bad game it deserves a 4 maybe a 6 or 7 without the tehnical problems.
  29. Nov 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm sorry but Bethesda just stop. Quit now before you piss everyone off with the elder scrolls VI. The game crashes every few hours. The combat is left click to win. After obtaining 900 armor rating because of how over powered the perks are in LIGHT ARMOR absolutely nothing. And I do literally mean nothing could do damage to me before I out regened it with no bonus to health regen. The only time I ever dropped below 95% health was when I either took on 5+ targets at once. (This happens once every 100 fights because the game is too care bear even for a console game.) or when I jumped off a small cliff. Dragons were a joke; until you got dragonrend you couldn't touch them. Quest items had so much weight (one weighing 20!!!) and you cannot even remove them or store them away. Even after finishing the quest they stayed with you. Cooking and enchanting are horrible, cooking being the worst; they put no effort into it apart from "here's a set amount of food you can make you CANNOT make anything else, oh and your going to need salt for everything." The main quest line for the factions was so short and the â Expand
  30. Nov 15, 2011
    Bethesda touted this as a "World Wide Release". It was a lie. Anyone living in Japan is prevented from playing this game for 4 weeks from the "world wide release" until December 8th. The -only- country facing this. It doesnt matter if you bought a copy from the US in English or you buy a Japanese copy in Japan(they're having to pay the equivalent of over 90 bucks for the priviledge toBethesda touted this as a "World Wide Release". It was a lie. Anyone living in Japan is prevented from playing this game for 4 weeks from the "world wide release" until December 8th. The -only- country facing this. It doesnt matter if you bought a copy from the US in English or you buy a Japanese copy in Japan(they're having to pay the equivalent of over 90 bucks for the priviledge to wait 4 weeks btw). All are restricted via the draconian DRM via Steam and Steamworks. I used to think EA was bad for such practices but Bethesda has really crowned themselves king on this one.

I've lost all enthusiasm to play this game now. Sympathetic friends etc have even tried to get me cracked versions of the game to play. I really just dont see a point when Bethesda considers Japan and those living there to be exploitable in this manner like second class citizens. And why should I stoop to Bethesda's level of dirtiness? I 100% regret having gotten this game and wish I could return it.
  31. Nov 11, 2011
    Epic, fantastic, incredible, amazing, insane, huge, beautiful, wicked, gigantic, stunning, superb, mindblowing, lifechanging fantasy game. The best thing since oblivion
  32. Nov 11, 2011
    Controls are very easily adapted to, with favourite weapons able to be mapped to number keys (I discovered this purely by accident - hit 1 by accident after hitting 'q'), made for hot-swapping in fights. Textures I find are comparable to games like Witcher 2 and Divinity 2, and the view of the sunset/sunrise and Aurora Borealis is just amazing. I was climbing up the legendary 7,000 stepsControls are very easily adapted to, with favourite weapons able to be mapped to number keys (I discovered this purely by accident - hit 1 by accident after hitting 'q'), made for hot-swapping in fights. Textures I find are comparable to games like Witcher 2 and Divinity 2, and the view of the sunset/sunrise and Aurora Borealis is just amazing. I was climbing up the legendary 7,000 steps and stopped for five minutes just to watch the Aurora, with the moon in the background.

This is probably the best RPG I've ever played.
  33. Nov 18, 2011
    I had a lot of hope for this game & having played the previous two (Oblivion until there was literally nothing left to do) Skyrim seemed like a no-brainer to me. Unfortunately, the game does not rise to meet expectations at all. Let me honestly say that I actually went about for the first while delibrately ignoring faults in this game - the dragon flicking to & from wire-frame repeatedlyI had a lot of hope for this game & having played the previous two (Oblivion until there was literally nothing left to do) Skyrim seemed like a no-brainer to me. Unfortunately, the game does not rise to meet expectations at all. Let me honestly say that I actually went about for the first while delibrately ignoring faults in this game - the dragon flicking to & from wire-frame repeatedly at the beginning, non-player-characters' movements being very stiff & odd looking, constant clipping with everything from seats half-sticking into walls to axes worn on NPC belts sticking through their coats & at times THEMSELVES, a woodcutter whose logs would stick to his axe as if magnetized! I really wanted to ignore this stuff (which you really shouldn't do - or HAVE to do) and enjoy the game and I did so semi-effectively for a few days of (not-solid) gameplay. But at every turn I found myself being pulled out of what was suposed to be an immersive game. Problems show up constantly like the fact that despite what level you are or how well armed or menacing you look your horse is apparently always going to look like the bigger threat to your enemies & so you often find yourself trying to get between your enemies and your horse to kept it from dying. And if you leave it at the bottom of a hill and go to fight a mob, be fully prepared for your horse to charge off past you and engage them, forcing you to use up stamina (which you need to do any decent weapon attack) so you can sprint forward & save your horse. This would be less annoying if it didn't happen all the time & didn't take the fun out of in-game fighting. You could argue that a horse would attack an aggressor or charge off against a perceived threat in real life, but to this I'd have to say: "if we're going to play at realism, then why can't a tether the bugger?!" But despite every bug that they didn't to fix from the last game (and there's a lot), & every new one that makes the game less & less fun, the worst is still the game's RECOGNITION. At one point, I was a Thane in a major city (a position of some serious importance). I asked my new housecarl (the follower given to a Thane) what it meant & she told me I was important to the community and had been recognised as such, for eg, "guards would know me & look the other way if I told them who I was". Well, this ability doesn't actually exist &, even tho I'm not stealing anything, when I use my SHOUT power guards regularly walk up & command me to stop - to which I can either wimpishly comply or dickishly stick my tongue out at them (verbally speaking). No option exists for them to know I'm a Thane & when I travel, having become Thane of a major city, the Fabled Dragonborn everyone is talking about, and the leader of the land's ancient & most famous mercenary group, to go & enlist under the rebel king - THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHO I AM! I'm treated like a nobody who has to prove himself all over again and is often referred to as "Unblooded" by name. By this point, many enemies go down with just one hit - so how am I unblooded exactly? But the worst thing of all, is that when I take news from the rebel king to the Jarl (earl) of the town I've set up in (the one where my Thane-ship and Mercenary status exist) he responds to me like he doesn't know me. And finally, when it comes down to the rebels versus my town, and I march on the town with my Housecarl (who owes allegiance to the Jarl) nothing is said, not a word of complaint, no segment where she protests at least a little about having to attack her own town, nothing (for a character who Bethesda said would feel like a "real, fleshed out person, not just a follower"). No one even comments on the idea of me attacking the place where I have set up so many roots, not even the Jarl when I face him down. In fact, the town isn't even damaged for a place we where just launching boulders at only moments before. Then the NEW Jarl says that to thank me he can give me a title - in fact, he can make me a Thane (hair-pulling out time!) and give me a housecarl (she's standing right behind you, numb-nuts!). This sucked out all realism for me & any feeling of accomplishment. Bethesda also said that as a guild leader you would always have something to do - this just turns out to be pest ctrl missions with the mission giver repeating the same phrase each time: "I've never seen a dragon before, are they real?" ("Yes, you just killed one a moment ago with me for the last mission!!"). The graphics constantly suffer faults even with everything at full on a high-end PC (don't get me started on that), the controls are extremely sub-par - the tip of the cursor & where the mouse will actually click are quite a surprising distance apart. All in all (& this is really just the tip of the iceberg) not enough testing was done, not enough effort was put in, it feels like half a game & plays like one too. Get it if it's £10 or $15. Otherwise, you WILL feel cheated. Expand
  34. Nov 29, 2011
    First the basics: This is a sandbox role playing game played in a first person view where you run around and are free to do whatever you want. You have many options, but in the it all comes down to killing stuff with weapons or magic and obtaining loot. The game is decent by itself and probably deserves a 7/10 if you are new to the series. The following is for the veterans:

This is just

This is just a dumbed down Oblivion. I have no idea what they have spent all these years working on, but it sure wasn't to improve the previous game in any way. There are some cute quests, there are some dragons to kill, but on the other hand everything looks like oblivion, the stats were removed and replaced with health, magicka, and stamina. Skills are no longer tied to stats, so there is no point in using light armor for anything but sneaking. When leveling up the world still levels up with you, and you get to picka a perk for every level. Most of them are of the character "hey, i want to be able to use my spells", "please make irrelevant things easier for me", and a few obviously useful ones, among them a sneak perk that lets you not make any noise when wearing heavy armor completely offsetting the last point of using light armor. Combat is more slow paced, difficulty seems to only affect the hp of things where killing a dragon or troll on the hardest is basically impossible as they regenerate faster than you can hurt them. If this wasn't part 5 of the elder scrolls series I think it would deserve a 7/10, but I'm giving it a 0 as there is no point in wasting your time on this worse experience if you already played oblivion or morrowind. Go download some mods for them and hope than bethesda cleans up their act for future games.
  35. Dec 2, 2011
    How do you say overrated in 150 characters(?), because that's all you really need to know. If you like running around and looking at pretty, fake places, you'll love it. If you're looking for a rich, deep roleplaying game experience, you'd be far better off playing um, er.... Oh, that's right. They don't make those anymore.
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    Fantastic. The game is created by the makers of Fallout, so it's an open world where we can do what they want. Contrary to Fallout, where the scenery is a barren terrain, we have luxuriant forests, rivers and snow-capped mountains. The graphics are wonderful even though sometimes the texture limp. Great combat system that will keep us glued to the screen, between creatures really well made â
  37. Mar 30, 2013
    Skyrim is clearly overated. The biggest fantasy of all is that Bethesda is a studio that 'knows' and 'loves' RPGs. Oblivion was A LOT MORE FUN. If you disagree go back and try it. Skyrim is a hollow shell of a game with only a single great feature: The WORLD. The rock structures the plants and the weather of Skyrim are all brilliant. The fish in the streams, the butterlies in the air.Skyrim is clearly overated. The biggest fantasy of all is that Bethesda is a studio that 'knows' and 'loves' RPGs. Oblivion was A LOT MORE FUN. If you disagree go back and try it. Skyrim is a hollow shell of a game with only a single great feature: The WORLD. The rock structures the plants and the weather of Skyrim are all brilliant. The fish in the streams, the butterlies in the air. AWESOME work. well done Bethesda. Sadly its ALL DOWNHILL from there. Skyrim boasts '300' unique locations. Well its more like 4 really, all copypasted and tweaked to be 'different' but they dont feel different. You might enjoy your first draugr ruin, but running through nearly identical ruins over and over again looses its luster soon enough. And it becomes incredibly tedius before you have levelled up even your first character. Character development in this game hits NEW LOWS. For a company that is supposed to 'know and love RPGs', how can it be that with each new game levelling your character becomes more tedius and BORING. The character levelling system in this game is TERRIBLE. Choosing between 'red' 'green' or 'blue' when you level is TERRIBLE. And from the studio that 'knows and loves RPGs the magic system is also TERRIBLE. The mellee combat, hit detection, and double-wielding mellee options are all TERRIBLE! Go Bethesda! The studio may be famed as 'knowing and loving RPGs', but is an abiding mystery why they think they can create immortal games without HIRING ANY WRITERS. You got that right. Click on the credits for the game, read it and weep. When you are playing the game you might notice how dull, boring, repetive and tedious it all is. You might notice that every single quest is a pale version of something you saw before in Oblivion or Morrowind. You might awaken to the fact that the 'endless questing' is a lie, no fun at all. Check the credits to blame the writers. THERE ARE NONE. that's right. Bethesda is so hard up for money that the 3D artists who built their 4 dungeons and the 20 physical assets they dump in every single room in the land double-up as scenario writers. And if you think the side quests are bad watch out! The main quest is WORSE. it's probably the most pathetic excuse for a story dumped into a game in the last decade! It's ever worse than Fallout 3 (Which is overall a much better game than this one by the way). Not only that. This game is totally lacking in terms of the kinds of magical or legendary items we usually associate with RPGs. The only vaguely interesting items to find are tied into the Daedric Quests. These quests are an assorted grab bag of sheer nihilism and ammoral garbage which will demand you please the 'whims of the gods, doing such role playing classics as eating human flesh and murdering strangers in order to get the blessings of the god'. Nice work Bethesda! (NOT!) So if you can endure a dreadful character system, boring combat, boring 'adventures, terrible magic, non-existant plots, a game that in all areas is inferior to both Morrowind and Oblivion, I guess Skyrim is Ok. It has its moments, roaming, watching sunsets, catching butterflies, of fishing by hand in the cool clear streams. I truly wonder at user reviews that give this game 10/10 scores. presumably these are all written on the initial wonder, before 40 hours have passed. Before they have accumulated 300,000 gold with nothing you need or CAN buy, or learned how to make every potion under the sun, only to find that they NEVER EVER need to use even one potion, or while they are trying various wield options before realising that most of them suck, and settled on playing sneaky archer, which is the only really viable build (SIGH). When you play this game to maximum level it reveals itself as a soul-less, empty, hollow lonely, terminally BORING, joyless affair. There is not a single likeable NPC in the game. No kind of interesting interaction with any of the puppet-like characters in the game. There is no main plot, no compelling sidequest, nothing memorable at all. Only some sunsets, some bug-catching and then tedium as you waste dozens of hours unlocking dragon shouts that you never even need to use. All this in a crappy port with the worst UI ever put on a PC. Bethesda do NOT know and love RPGs. Bethesda are cheap skates who cut corners, build huge worlds and fill them with copy-pasted tedium and FILLER. The high scores for this game are wishful thinking, tinged with nostalgia, and appreciation for all the good things Bethesda have done over the years. Bethesda needs to know the ways this game is NOT GOOD. They have to understand the way it fails. They can and should do a LOT better than this. Giving this game a 10/10 is a really big mistake because that only encourages more of the same. Wake up people, believe me. You do NOT want more of THIS! Expand
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is brilliant. I've played Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion and didn't really ever like those games - however, Skyrim is just perfect. Beautiful world, exciting history and great gameplay.
  39. Dec 9, 2011
    Really surprised with all that whining. Shame that some people have glitches, but I'm more then 120 hours in game, and it works great! Sure Skyrim is my GOTY and one of the most atmospheric games since Might and Magic 6-7. Skyrim not only revives all the best traditions of true oldstyle RPGs, but although adds some beautiful stylish looks to a detailed and well written story of Tamriel.Really surprised with all that whining. Shame that some people have glitches, but I'm more then 120 hours in game, and it works great! Sure Skyrim is my GOTY and one of the most atmospheric games since Might and Magic 6-7. Skyrim not only revives all the best traditions of true oldstyle RPGs, but although adds some beautiful stylish looks to a detailed and well written story of Tamriel.

Ah, and look at those people with 0 ratings.. they mostly have all zeroes in their reviews. It's just impossible for them to get some positive emotions. Whiners))
  40. Aug 22, 2012
    These are not my words reposting from another website
    " More copypasta about Skyrim:
    I think Skyrim's biggest flaw can be explained by describing how the game would handle quests from Oblivion. Oblivion; Some women are robbing and blackmailing married men, I need you to find the suspects, let them try to seduce you, catch them in the act Skyrim; Some women are robbing and blackmailing
    These are not my words reposting from another website
    " More copypasta about Skyrim:
    Skyrim; Some women are robbing and blackmailing married men. I need you to go into this dungeon ful of necromancers and kill them.

Oblivion; These ghost are haunting my ship bro. Here's a silver sword can you go and get rid of them?
    Skyrim; These ghosts are haunting my ship bro. here's the location of a dungeon full of Draugr. Can you go and find me an item that I can use to drive them away?

Oblivion; BRO KVATCH IS GETTING **** RAPED, GET INTHERE AND SAVE EVERYONE DOG
    Skyrim; BRO THIS DUNGEON IS GETTING **** DRAUGR'D. GET IN THERE AND KILL EVERYONE DOG

Oblivion; Climb into the well out back and fetch me a right that sunk to the bottom. JOKES ON YOU HOMBRE THAT RING IS GONNA MAKE YOU DROWN, OH GOD STOP EXPOSING ME AS A NECROMANCR
    Skyrim; A **** bandit stole my ring man, go into this dungeon and get it back. Watch out for Draugr!

Oblivion: Guess what **** you're trapped on an island where hunters hunt people for fun, and you're the prey. Have Fun!
    Skyrim: Some **** is running a game on an island somewhere where people hunt other people for fun. Word has it that he's in a dungeon nearby looking for treasure to fund his game. Go and kill him. What? You wnat to see this game yourself? Nonsense, this dungeon will be far more convenient. Off you go. Try not to trip over any Draugr.
  41. Nov 11, 2011
    This game deserves an 8, it has good graphics, voice acting can now and then be realy horrible imo. Cant judge on the whole story but from what ive seen so far it has a solid story and fun combat.
  42. Nov 12, 2011
    I've been reading through a few reviews, mostly the negative ones, and most reasons I've found has been from either their own hardware problem or hellbent determination to complain on anything that's not PC-exclusively developed or catered to the PC-group of customers. Personally I've not had any problem with the graphics. I've had one glitch and that was that a decently important dialogueI've been reading through a few reviews, mostly the negative ones, and most reasons I've found has been from either their own hardware problem or hellbent determination to complain on anything that's not PC-exclusively developed or catered to the PC-group of customers. Personally I've not had any problem with the graphics. I've had one glitch and that was that a decently important dialogue went silent. The UI, I agree, feels consoly. Though I can't find any wrong with it. The only thing would be that I can't sort items based on value or weight. There's a reason that few games are specifically designed for the PC anymore, piracy. And even if piracy isn't as serious as before the reputation of the PC is ruined and won't recover for many years. The only thing I've noted so far from "PC-gamers" is that they are entirely incapable of adapting. Apart from the sorting part I find the UI to be clean and well thought through. I immediately did in Skyrim as I did in Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout, ran away as soon as I was done with the introduction. Thus far, 13 hours in, the world has not disappointed me. Been ambushed by bandits, crushed by giants, torn to pieces by sabre cats, took some poor mans armor while he was sleeping etc. My High Elf mage/archer who at times duel wield short swords, haven't had any issues with either the diffculty, which btw got 5 levels that you can change, nor with clunky stale combat. Being a mage has never been more fun. The AI is sub-par, I have to agree on. My mage could win a brawl vs an orc chief simply since the chief didn't seem to care I was fighting with one hand and healing with the other. Anyway, I forgot where I was going with this. Expand
  43. Nov 13, 2011
    While I could ramble about how ridiculous certain "reviewers" are being, I'll simply state my opinion. Skyrim is essentially exactly what I wanted from the next installment in The Elder Scrolls series. What exactly dictates that? Basically, a polished, improved Oblivion. Being a huge fan of Oblivion, this game is pinpoint accurate on returning to the formula I love, while also sprucing itWhile I could ramble about how ridiculous certain "reviewers" are being, I'll simply state my opinion. Skyrim is essentially exactly what I wanted from the next installment in The Elder Scrolls series. What exactly dictates that? Basically, a polished, improved Oblivion. Being a huge fan of Oblivion, this game is pinpoint accurate on returning to the formula I love, while also sprucing it up, and adding more in. To start, those who say this isn't a visually appealing game is diminishing two factors.; the first that it is certainly a step above Oblivion, and that it is a role playing game. While playing, I have all the details on Ultra, and I'm running it at a constant 60 frames per second. Needless to say, it looks fantastic. Even out of the context of it being a role playing game, it still looks great! People simply look for anything to pile onto their rage-reviews. Next, the sound. At first, I was skeptical about the new soundtrack Jeremy Soule laid out for me. I was a huge fan of Oblivion's soundtrack, so Skyrim's soundtrack was important to me from the introduction. While initially I wasn't too impressed, it definitely hit perfectly after the first few hours. The Nordic choruses, the compelling drums, the serene tavern backdrops, it does just as Oblivion did. It creates a soundtrack that handsomely compliments the immersion factor of the world around you. I suggest that anyone who appreciates a good musical score to edit your audio values, and turn the "music" bar up a notch; it truly makes the gameplay better. Lastly, the combat system that lets your dethrone dragons, and bash in skulls of unsuspecting (or foolish) bandits, and the like. Bethesda outdid themselves when it comes to innovating their combat system. While I enjoyed Oblivion, the fighting was robotic, and repetitive. Quite opposite of its older brother, Skyrim redefines how you take down your foes, or friendly citizens (yes, we all occasionally go on questionable rampages when we get new weapons.) From finishing moves, to spell casting that isn't sluggish, the new combat system is perfect for Skyrim. Casting fire while swinging with an enchanted sword is satisfying, to say the least.

While I could continue to write an explicit review, I'll stop myself, and end with this. Skyrim is undoubtedly a role playing game experience all fans should experience. While it sticks to the same formula while revamping itself all the while, why should that be a bad thing? If you loved Oblivion, you'll adore Skyrim. (This isn't a console port either, people just love to whine. The controls are just fine, and the visuals are a half step above consoles.)
  44. Nov 24, 2011
    I cannot give this game a score as it does not run on my pc, even after reporting the problem and trolling through various forums for answers I have not found a solution as yet. It seems the game wasnâ
  45. Nov 26, 2011
    The game plays well until it doesn't. Quite simply the game crashes constantly. On average with my computer set up the game crashes between 30-45 minutes of gameplay.
  46. Dec 2, 2011
    So called professional reviewers that rated this game highly never saw the PC version. So much is 100% clear. Either that, or they were blind. The looks beautiful enough, from a distance, but the character animation is crude, with too small number of polygons. Voice acting is still not enough, with voices for different characters soon starting to be familiar, heard one bartender, heardSo called professional reviewers that rated this game highly never saw the PC version. So much is 100% clear. Either that, or they were blind. The looks beautiful enough, from a distance, but the character animation is crude, with too small number of polygons. Voice acting is still not enough, with voices for different characters soon starting to be familiar, heard one bartender, heard them all. The user interface is written for consoles, it is terrible on the pc. But worst of all, and not to be missed by any reviewer, is the huge number of bugs, freezes, crashes to desktop, stuck quests, immortal beings, ,issues with the loader, and on and on and on. You have to let Steam check the integrity of the local files constantly to be able to start it up again and hope you'll be able to play. And then if you do, you may find the game locks up yet again at some location, with nothing else to do but power down the computer and reboot. It shows to me that game sites, and game reviewers have no clue whatsoever, and are being led by the nose by companies. That, and they lied if they were saying they reviewed the PC version. Expand
  47. Dec 13, 2012
    Skyrim is a beautiful, gigantic world full of diverse towns, dwemer ruin labyrinths, dragon lairs, and ancient tombs. Almost every location feels unique and hand-made, filled with tiny details and nuances. However, everything else is a letdown. Stripped of stats, the only enchantments you can put on equipment (or stats on found equip) are elemental damage/resistance, damage/skill boosts,Skyrim is a beautiful, gigantic world full of diverse towns, dwemer ruin labyrinths, dragon lairs, and ancient tombs. Almost every location feels unique and hand-made, filled with tiny details and nuances. However, everything else is a letdown. Stripped of stats, the only enchantments you can put on equipment (or stats on found equip) are elemental damage/resistance, damage/skill boosts, or stat drains/boosts. Magic and skills are very shallow and have zero scaling, resulting in mages being underpowered late game while meleers kill everything in 2 hits on the hardest difficulty. The game's best aspect, exploration, soon becomes unrewarding when you can craft & enchant better equip than can be found anywhere. The main questline, which will take you about 40 hours, is your typical YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE story (but still has some memorable moments given how much traveling you do). Sadly, Skyrim's world is trapped in a mediocre, dumbed down, DX9 console port. Expand
  48. Nov 11, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim offers the user new story content in a familiar world. Understanding of development: This is where the user is a fault, the urge for a new game in the series are insane. And development of a game, engine, story, characters takes years and years. So to expect a massive upgrade in every aspect of a game, in the short amount of time developers have is just absurd.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim offers the user new story content in a familiar world. Understanding of development: This is where the user is a fault, the urge for a new game in the series are insane. And development of a game, engine, story, characters takes years and years. So to expect a massive upgrade in every aspect of a game, in the short amount of time developers have is just absurd. They provide us with new material/story, new characters, new enemies, slight graphic upgrades to quell our thirst for a new game, but we want more. How are they to survive while developing this uber game, that even the most common of users will enjoy ? e.i. Dad who started playing with the Xbox generation, not to mention his kids. Bugs are annoying agree, but they will be fixed.
    User interface friendliness, specially for PC users is bad I agree.
    Graphics are great, not mind-blowing but hey they were already so good to begin with.

I think story needs to be the key instrument ALL gaming companies needs to be working on and F what corporate are saying. In game characters/monsters/neutrals/music should be well tweaked to fit the story and enhance authenticity. User interface should be optimized and game should be close to bug free. After these things, if graphics are great too hurray!
  49. Nov 19, 2011
    Usless port.manny bugs.intro with no brain.menus are not made for pc.graphics are not what they are on screenshots (i have 2 gig on graphic memory).almost no help.i got no bond with the game or story within 15 mins as i had with other rpg games.stupid metod to see what better gear u get or have ...
    it gets 1 coz its an rpg title nothing more.THIS GAME SUCKS !!
  50. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim is what all hard core PC game fans have feared the most, Almost complete unedited console ports with little visible enhancements in graphics or sound, a crippled GUI that is made for console game controllers and a performance hit due to obviously unoptimised console to windows conversion tools.

This is and never will be considered a great game on the PC, if any fan of large open areas with a plethora of dark fantasy is considering buying this, my advice. If you haven't already, Get yourself the free to play MMO: Age Of Conan. The added bonus to a free MMO beyond been FREE is that you can meet people in this vast wasteland of a game. Oh and if you don't like it. At least it didn't cost you $100 to find out its drivel.

Skyrim, oh how the mighty have fallen.
  51. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is incredible. I first played the Elder Scrolls series with Morrowind and thought it was mediocre. I just couldn't play or enjoy anything about Oblivion. It felt incredibly boring and uninspired after trying to get in to it a dozen times, so I gambled with getting Skyrim on the first day after watching a couple of the live streaming sessions online. It looked too good to pass up,This game is incredible. I first played the Elder Scrolls series with Morrowind and thought it was mediocre. I just couldn't play or enjoy anything about Oblivion. It felt incredibly boring and uninspired after trying to get in to it a dozen times, so I gambled with getting Skyrim on the first day after watching a couple of the live streaming sessions online. It looked too good to pass up, and my gamble really paid off. Skyrim is way better than the last two, and I've never felt so truly immersed in an RPG like this before. I didn't experience a single bug or crash with the game, although there were minor flickering or clipping issues graphically. However, everything else from the sound and atmosphere, to the quality voice-over work and options of stuff to do and directions to go has redefined my interpretation of excellent game design for a true sandbox RPG. The only negatives leading me to rate it down to a 9 is for those who enjoy a linear story and direction, as I admittedly sometimes prefer also. The way it drops you at the end of the prologue/tutorial is pretty abrupt, but I had no problem just wandering off in a random direction and seeking out adventure. It found me as it turned out, allowing me to go in a few different directions depending on my whims, but for some it might not come as easily. Everything else is top notch and well worth the price of admission. Expand
  52. Nov 11, 2011
    Deacz, you need to learn to use favorites (RTFM). I agree with the point that the game isn't the prettiest and especially the lack of facial expressions is a pitty. I like the fact that you can now only sell items to vendors that they also sell (no you cannot sell a bow to a fruit vendor). I'm off to play a bit more now. caio
  53. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start? I've clocked up about 15 hours, and like oblivion, will most likely go on to clock up over 350. I must point out though I've been using a 360 controller from the start, so have had no problems with the controls. Graphically, this game is a massive step up from oblivion. Other people seem to be comparing the graphics of Skyrim to those of a recently released fps. Maybe turn up your graphics, over clock your gpu or buy a better one? Some of the views are breathtaking, the draw distance is fantastic and I think I'm in love with the landscape. Bethesda games have never been known for their lifelike graphics, let's face it. But this is close enough for me to actually want to be there. The cities themselves are beautiful. From dwarves cities full of mechanics, to broken down castles and forts, each one feels unique. Gameplay wise, I'm slightly miffed about the dark brotherhood. And the thieves guild. Why are they in decline? They put it down to 'bad luck'. That feels like a cheap way of making a storyline. And from what I've played, not overly impressed. Listener straight away for TDB? And then she bosses you about? I'm pretty sure that has been my lowest moment in skyrim. Fighting dragons is cool. It's good they don't focus solely on the player and ignore NPR creatures. I had an epic fight where I teamed up with a troll and a wooly mammoth, only for the troll to turn on me because I may have accidentally killed his mammoth. Whoops. I'm also starting to see the radiant quest thing kick in, with bounties leading to unexplored caves etc. whether or not it's truly unlimited I don't know, but with modding, it may well be. As I said at the start, Im using a 360 controller. It was plugged in already (I use it for bf3, so a word for you kb/m elitists, you're wrong :) ) and recognised instantly, and is pretty awesome. Pc version has force feedback, so obviously a console rip there. My only downside is I can't pick stuff up. At least, I haven't figured it out yet. So no basket on the head stealing for me. A few people are saying its buggy - look at the size of the world. It will take years to find every bug, glitch, spelling mistake (I noticed one in the book about the events of oblivion) and if you thought its be releases bug free you obviously never played oblivion. I do have one bug (at least, I think it's a bug) where I'm one hit killed by a giant and thrown into space. But what Bethesda don't fix, modders will..

Which leads onto modding. Being unique for pcs (which is why you should have the pc version), it probably adds another 300+ hours onto the play time. Looking at the quality of oblivious mods, I honestly can't wait for skyrim's mods. It'll be interesting to see how much Bethesda let modders tinker with, if it's all the way down to the radiant story thing. There'll be some epic quests then!

All in all, I'm highly Impressed with what has been achieved, and can't wait to spend the next few years solidly exploring ever part of skyrim! It's definitely a must buy!
  54. Nov 12, 2011
    The hype was justified. This isn't just the game of the year, but one of the best gaming experiences ever. Fantastic world and quite possibly the best soundtrack in a game I've ever heard. Do yourself a favour and buy this game. There is one negative thing though; your social life will suffer. Can't have everything.
  55. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is fun, it's pretty much they took everything that made Oblivion fun and made another game with better graphics. There is also a lot less class customization required at the start, for someone who finds it hard to pick the perfect class this was icing on the cake.
  56. Dec 16, 2011
    Yeah, you need to tweak the game via console and the .ini files. Yeah, you need to get into the modding scene to fix some of the bugs and problems. Yeah, the game didn't run with over 2GB memory without some kind of third party application. Well guess what... that's what the dedicated Elder Scrolls players are used to. And we LOVE Bethesda for it. They let us play the game the way WE wantYeah, you need to tweak the game via console and the .ini files. Yeah, you need to get into the modding scene to fix some of the bugs and problems. Yeah, the game didn't run with over 2GB memory without some kind of third party application. Well guess what... that's what the dedicated Elder Scrolls players are used to. And we LOVE Bethesda for it. They let us play the game the way WE want to play it. Do we want to modify the way we level up? quite often we do. Do we want to modify the difficulty and scaling of the game? Of course we do. Do we want to tweak the graphics, overhaul the system, get the most out of our real gaming machines? You're bloody well right we do! The fifth installation in the Elder Scrolls series allows the gamer to play and change the game to suit them. Why did Skyrim win GotY 2011? Pretty simple. Bethesda created a game that let the user decide how they wanted to play. The Elder Scrolls series is one of the very few games that allow the user the utmost control over how the game works. Game developers need to understand, you give the community a development kit and you will have them work for free, creating new content, fixing bugs. That's the kind of community that dedicated PC gamers are, we love these games because they give us almost unparalleled control over the way in which the game functions. I don't like being locked to 65 FoV because the developers didn't want to put the option in the game for PC gamers. I don't like being locked to certain keys because the developers didn't want to make the code for remapping keys. I hate being forced to play a game in a linear style without any deviations from the path. Does the game have problems? Yes. Can these problems be fixed by the user? YES! Nothing short of a 10 out of 10. Expand
  57. Nov 11, 2011
    Yo Bethesda idiots!! Why I cant block using dual wield??? Morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  58. Nov 14, 2011
    The face animations bother me, the voice acting is terrible. I played this game for 10 minutes, I could not stand the graphics. They are terrible, it is sad do they just not think to update their textures for pc?
  59. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim brings 'all flash no substance' to an entirely new level. Somehow people are impressed by having giant sub-par looking landscapes and tons of NPC's even if it substitutes an actually decent combat system, or basically any gameplay mechanic that's even remotely challenging or polished. If a game based around conflict doesn't have a good combat system, it has nothing. Plain andSkyrim brings 'all flash no substance' to an entirely new level. Somehow people are impressed by having giant sub-par looking landscapes and tons of NPC's even if it substitutes an actually decent combat system, or basically any gameplay mechanic that's even remotely challenging or polished. If a game based around conflict doesn't have a good combat system, it has nothing. Plain and simple. Bethesda opted for a big world instead of a well designed one, and that's what they got. I'd rather play several better smaller games then waste my time playing one bad big one. Expand
  60. Nov 11, 2011
    Bought in on day 1 and I am sure I am gonna enjoy the hell out of it. :D Had a chance to launch it only one only, and the beginning and it already looks epic. The only downside is that I have to finish this game in 4 days before Assassin's Creed is out. xD
  61. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is amazing. The world is rich and expansive, the graphics are a huge improvement (especially the character's faces) and as is typical for a TES game, there is a lot to do. Throw eventual mods into the mix and your social life is pretty much gone. That being said I really wanted to give the game a 10/10 but there remain a few minor issues. There are some poor animations - I onceSkyrim is amazing. The world is rich and expansive, the graphics are a huge improvement (especially the character's faces) and as is typical for a TES game, there is a lot to do. Throw eventual mods into the mix and your social life is pretty much gone. That being said I really wanted to give the game a 10/10 but there remain a few minor issues. There are some poor animations - I once saw a guy sit down in mid air then slide sideways into a chair (lol)- and a some minor bugs. Skyrim has a few awesome voice actors while the rest are middling yet still far, far better than Oblivion, and the PC controls are also rather awkward. Bottom line though: Skyrim is great and will keep you entertained for hundreds of hours. Expand
  62. Nov 12, 2011
    NOT RUINED BY CONSOLE PORT!!! There, got that out of the way :P

NOT RUINED BY CONSOLE PORT!!! There, got that out of the way :P

Skyrim, thus far, has been fantastic. The world is quite memorable, that include everything from the characters the monsters and the dungeons and cities... everything is a fantasy escapists dream. What Bethesda promised they delivered. That said, there are some technical bugs but honestly nothing game breaking. This is one of the smoothest releases Bethesda has had. While there was virtually no work done to the UI to take advantage of the PC version, there are only a few things I dislike about it really. For one, how about a means to change what the "menu" keys are (such as using SPACE rather than ENTER, which would seem easier to me)? Does that mean Bethesda spent no effort making it work? Hardly, it all works quite well and even smoother than one might anticipate with a little getting used to. Ah well, -1 point for a few silly bugs and SOME odd key assignments when navigating the UI, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this game and I haven't the heart to give it anything less than 10! Great work Bethesda, can't wait to see what's next for Skyrim :)
  63. Nov 25, 2011
    Oh boy was this game was a disappointment in The Elder Scrolls series whose downfall started with Battlespire and now continues with Skyrim. Where do I be begin? Let's start with the menus. The menus in Skrim can usually only be navigated with the keyboard and there is no notification or any type of feedback as to if you hit a menu item or not because all the goddamn menus are strictlyOh boy was this game was a disappointment in The Elder Scrolls series whose downfall started with Battlespire and now continues with Skyrim. Where do I be begin? Let's start with the menus. The menus in Skrim can usually only be navigated with the keyboard and there is no notification or any type of feedback as to if you hit a menu item or not because all the goddamn menus are strictly black, white, and grey! The inventory menu is an unintuitive mess. It's awkward to navigate, it doesn't show your character so you have no clue what the **** is on your character unless you go through every single goddamn menu with in the inventory screen. To make it even worse, menus overlap at times and its impossible at a single glance to tell which menu is active. As if all of this wasn't bad even enough, simply pressing "escape" will bring up the main menu screen over any other menu screen you have open but you can't save or load from it until you close what ever menu screen you had up under the main menu. The menus in Skyrim are the worst I've ever seen in a game hands down. -2 points

Controls; The default controls can charitably described as: Passable. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but skyrim has a few 'holy grail' buttons that you CANNOT remap. Good examples of this are the left mouse button, F, E, R, and Q. Try remapping any of those functions and new key you mapped doesn't work AND what ever you mapped to any of those keys doesn't work! Outstanding programming here! Next the favorite menu has potential to be good, but fails miserably. The Favorites menu pauses the game has a list of all items/spells you want to be able to quickly equip without going through the cluster****ed inventory screen. You can also set the number keys 1 to 8 to quickly use or ready something, however that's it. You can't use any other keys than 1 to 8. What the **** Why cant you atleast use all of the keys in that row or atleast use keys other than the number keys for that **** As if this piss poor design wasn't already bad enough, You cannot block while; duel wielding or having magic ready in 1 hand. You cannot cast while having a bow, 2 handed weapon, or shield out. This **** wasn't a problem since Daggerfall and now it's back 15 years later? -4 points

Graphics; Okay, so the graphics are mostly good in the towns and dungeons and around the main roads. Heaven forbid you go off the beaten path! Even with all settings maxed out, the mountain textures look like they were pulled from morrowind 10 years earlier! Using the excuse: no one goes there is a fallacy in that The Elderscrolls games have ALWAYS been about exploring. To salt the wounds, Skyrim also offers no option to turn off BLOOM or HDR, both of which are abused to the point that the UN would step if they were citizens of any 3rd world country. -2 points Next us the skill system which is an interesting but inherently flawed step forward. To make things more interesting bethesda decided to add perks to skills which is an amusing thought and certain adds some depth, but it fails to make up for the removing of several skills and attributes all together. What the **** were they thinking? There is no unarmed skills, no way to increase your jumping/falling abilities, no way to increase your movement speed, and for a final kick to your ribs while you're down; you can't fight or do anything while underwater anymore. -2 points

Thanks for trying, better luck next time, game over! 0 out of 10. This game shows not only a lack of respect and care for the PC release of a game, but also pure enmity toward PC games as a whole. do not pay money for this monstrosity!
  64. Dec 1, 2011
    NOT A GOOD GAME AT ALL! specially after playing the true GREAT RPGs that came out this years such as Witcher 2, Dark Souls and Skyward Sword. Skyrim does nothing better than the other RPGs, other than the cool title screen chant song. In fact when compared, one can easily tell how outdated it its, in its game play mechanics, and characters animations. Take heed, this game is worth nothingNOT A GOOD GAME AT ALL! specially after playing the true GREAT RPGs that came out this years such as Witcher 2, Dark Souls and Skyward Sword. Skyrim does nothing better than the other RPGs, other than the cool title screen chant song. In fact when compared, one can easily tell how outdated it its, in its game play mechanics, and characters animations. Take heed, this game is worth nothing more than a rental. Expand
  65. Nov 11, 2011
    First off Epic!! is an understatment. What Bethesda have done here is everything they said they would, nothing more and nothing less, people seem to forget this and had too high expectations. Since the game was announced Todd Howard has been clear in interviews etc that the game graphicly would still be dx9 with a few improvements! The approach of improving what you already know has provedFirst off Epic!! is an understatment. What Bethesda have done here is everything they said they would, nothing more and nothing less, people seem to forget this and had too high expectations. Since the game was announced Todd Howard has been clear in interviews etc that the game graphicly would still be dx9 with a few improvements! The approach of improving what you already know has proved to be successful rather than trying to rush out a game this big with new tech, so what it hasnt got dx11 graphics and massive textures!! I still looks good and means you can have an absolutly massive world on one disk!! aside from this, radient story = win characters = win new unique looking and sounding races = win epic views and scenery = win even the damn horses have been sorted out! and oh did i meantion dragons are absolutly epic!!!, dont get me wrong there are a few tiny little flaws like npcs gettign stuck etc in the game but compared to what they have achieved and the scope of this emmense emmersive world they fade into Oblivion!! Right im going to loose a week of my life playing it now lol Expand
  66. Nov 12, 2011
    The years of waiting has finally come to an end. And my verdict of the game? Absolutely amazing.
    I came into this fully knowing about the New ui, and that it was created as a multi platform game, that's why I will not complain about features that do not feel 'PC'. I am as big a PC gamer as the rest of em, but people have to realise that PC exclusive titles are going away, which in my honest opinion earns the developers more money, and in the case of bethesda they totally deserve it.
    I spent my first few hours of the game literally looking around in amazement, standing still wondering... I have so many things to do, what to do first. Your character isn't limited by the choice of what skills to use, which strangely made me stop and think deeply about how to play my character. The graphics are beautiful and the new engine is amazingly stable. Not had a single glitch or crash, which for a day one Bethesda game is simply outstanding and would earn it a 10 on that merit alone.
    If you do not have this game, get it.. as fast as you can. Play it with an open mind and no expectations, and I guarantee it will be one of the best gaming experiences of your life.
  67. Nov 13, 2011
    This is easily one of the best games I have ever played and trust me, I have played a lot. Sure there are some bugs and glitches, but I haven't encountered any game breaking ones yet. Everything has been greatly improved from Oblivion, well except the UI part.

UI is very stripped down. Where is sort function? Better highlights would have been great too, I have used potions by accident too many times already. I can't see how much air I have left when I'm swimming underwater. I hope they release a patch to fix the UI or do I need to wait for a mod to do that?

UI aside, the game is absolutely fantastic. Visuals are very beautiful, music is amazing, voice-acting is very well done. Story quests are much more interesting than in Oblivion. A pure masterpiece.
  68. Nov 13, 2011
    I'm really not entirely sure why this game is getting negative reviews. Some of them are negative due to lack of observation (ie. you CAN change the controls :p), others don't make much sense (the menu system works great with a mouse. I think they were looking for something that would work well on both console and pc), but some of them do have validity. In response to the graphics: theyI'm really not entirely sure why this game is getting negative reviews. Some of them are negative due to lack of observation (ie. you CAN change the controls :p), others don't make much sense (the menu system works great with a mouse. I think they were looking for something that would work well on both console and pc), but some of them do have validity. In response to the graphics: they aren't bad at all. It's not goddamned Crysis, but it's a humongous improvement over Oblivion, and a hell of a lot faster. It actually runs faster than Oblivion on my machine. In fact, considering how much landscape ends up on the screen at once, it looks really good. Even the indoor areas look good. In regards to "The story is bad", it's not just about the story given to you (which is pretty good in the first place), but the story that you create for yourself, so if the story sucks, you probably aren't playing the game as it was intended to be played. In response to "There are more voice actors, but not enough", are you serious? I think I've heard the same voice twice one or two times, and I've played the game quite a lot. In contrast to Oblivion, which had roughly 10 voice actors (not including Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean who only played one character each), although, according to Wikipedia there were only 6 total, Skyrim has more like 70 voice actors. Not to mention the quality of acting is much better. And what is this about the combat being bad? It may not be perfect, but it's loads better than Oblivion, and definitely better than Morrowind. The only downfalls of Skyrim I can find are the occasional glitches (which I personally see as comic relief), and no short-cut keys, which hopefully will be fixed in the next patch. If not, some modder will make it anyways. If you want to know the numerous good things about this game, just look at other positive reviews. Right now, I'm gonna go play Skyrim. Expand
  69. Nov 13, 2011
    An exceptional game. Period. The stand-out features of Skyrim are too many to name. What really hooked me, was the exceptional level of detail in the graphics, the excitingly tumultuous new-line adventure of terrorizing the populace as a werewolf, and the intense combos of a revamped melee system. As an avid Oblivion player, I really wanted something new to set Skyrim apart, and moreAn exceptional game. Period. The stand-out features of Skyrim are too many to name. What really hooked me, was the exceptional level of detail in the graphics, the excitingly tumultuous new-line adventure of terrorizing the populace as a werewolf, and the intense combos of a revamped melee system. As an avid Oblivion player, I really wanted something new to set Skyrim apart, and more importantly, to make the game worth the 60$ it cost me. Bethesda delivered. Unless you're running the game on a Pentium 3, the graphics are incredible with a refreshing style and user-friendly interface. Example: when your character looks at something really bright (like the sun) then looks into something darker (like a shadowed room) your screen actually mimics the experience of "your eyes becoming accustomed to the light/dark." NPC characters' eyes actually glitter in the dark sometimes. Incredible. As far as new content, how's being a werewolf? An exciting twist to the game, without the humdrum inconvenience of being a vampire in Oblivion, lycanthropy adds a ton of fun to the game without being overpowered and without causing the player undue tension with NPC's. And as far as combat goes, awesome. The end. Fallout style combat closers never get old. Critical strikes? I'm in. Dual wielding spells? as@hDb%as9dh!!! The only downside to Skyrim is the technical issues that need to be resolved (and I assume they will be in upcoming patches) that are mostly held to the player falling to death in silly, annoying ways, and the occasional quest bug. Also, the Dark Brotherhood isn't as cool in this one, but that's just my opinion. And, as usual with this style of game, I'm always conscious of the fact that I am completely and utterly alone. Some kind of multiplayer would make the engine truly groundbreaking. But apart from wishful thinking, and the occasional annoying bug, Skyrim is worth your money, and a whole lot more. 9/10 Expand
  70. Nov 13, 2011
    Absolutely mind-blowing masterpiece. I have yet to find anything even remotely close to being a fault. Do yourself a favour and go buy this. This game brings me to tears it's so good.
  71. Nov 20, 2011
    I give this game a 9/10, There was a few things that were minor.
    Story: Amazing story, well thought out and room for MANY side quests that involve with the story.
    Graphics: This is whole entirely on computer, but on highest quality and settings, Skyrim literally blooms in your face in its fullest potential. You can't rate graphics down unless you've seen the best. Gameplay: Like Morrowind
    I give this game a 9/10, There was a few things that were minor.

Gameplay: Like Morrowind and Oblivion, the gameplay was almost the same, except they decided to tweak it with another engine, the Fallout engine. The end product was easily organized items and easily accessible spells. The game also had dual wielding and a new type of perk-building. While loyal fans of TES cried, casual TES fans rejoiced due to simplicity of the skill system. I preferred the old system, yet couldn't admire the new system.

Lasting: Almost like Oblivion, YOUR SOCIAL LIFE ENDS. Even IGN mentioned that you should say goodbye to life. The game is that GOOD in dragging you back to Skyrim over and over. It's like fighting games, you try to get as many combos as you can and look at your own fruits of labor pay. Except in Skyrim, that's swords, magic, destruction, and dragon bones.
  72. Nov 21, 2011
    One of the best games than i played! The Graphic is Awsome, the gameplay is very good and you have some random quests that make the game impossible to stop playing
  73. Nov 23, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant. Apart from a few minor glitches with the AI and the inventory menu, the game is flawless. A huge world to explore with the freedom to create your character the way you want to. A true RPG.
  74. Dec 3, 2011
    Skyrim follows in the vein of its predecessor Oblivion in providing an even more streamlined open world RPG experience. Attribute points are no more with racial traits the only factor defining a starting role for your character. Character progression is so streamlined that soon even these racial bonuses will mean little as the way you choose to play defines your character. This approachSkyrim follows in the vein of its predecessor Oblivion in providing an even more streamlined open world RPG experience. Attribute points are no more with racial traits the only factor defining a starting role for your character. Character progression is so streamlined that soon even these racial bonuses will mean little as the way you choose to play defines your character. This approach truly gives players the greatest freedom in how to approach the game but perhaps unintentionally lessens the replay value of the game. There is no reason to replay the game as a different character since you can grow your skills however you want. I can be a mage with a two handed battle axe or sneak effortlessly in full plate armor while picking pockets in broad daylight. There are fewer spells, fewer skills, fewer weapon types, and fewer armor slots than ever before. Like Fallout 3, players receive one point to invest in perks each time they level up. These perks are very bland compared to Fallout 3, however, and usually provide passive bonuses in the way of reducing the madicka required for spell casting or increasing weapon damage by a certain percentage. The UI is atrocious and designed around a console controller. It requires way too much scrolling and unnecessarily interrupts the flow of combat. "Favoriting" an item in your inventory reduces the amount of screens you have to mull through, but as your character progresses, results in another length list you have to scroll through to access what you want. The main quest is reasonably interesting but anyone who has played an Elder Scrolls game will find it recycled and painfully short. Fighters, thieves, and mages guild exist in various forms as does the Dark Brotherhood. Daedric quests are back and most towns have one or two side quests to explore. There's a lot to do in Skyrim, and the world is fairly big, but like previous games in the franchise suffers from repetition. The landscape varies only in token ways and dungeons feel bland and samey after a short while. From a performance strandpoint, the game runs well but things could be so much better. The game doesn't use more than 2gigs of RAM (though there is a mod to address this), it uses DX9, and it's the same engine as Oblivion contrary to Bethesda's claims. Once again, a developer has chosen to allow ancient console hardware to dictate what they can and cannot do with their game rather than innovate and explore new ways of doing things in the franchise. If you are a hardcore Elder Scrolls fan, wait for a price drop. This is not work $60. Expand
  75. Dec 7, 2011
    This was my and i am sure a whole lot of other people's most anticipated game of the year and while the game improves on some parts it gets worse in other areas compared to oblivion or simply stays the same and for people playing an elder scrolls game the first time you might give the game a 10 but otherwise it feels dumbed down in many ways. I am first going to start with what has beenThis was my and i am sure a whole lot of other people's most anticipated game of the year and while the game improves on some parts it gets worse in other areas compared to oblivion or simply stays the same and for people playing an elder scrolls game the first time you might give the game a 10 but otherwise it feels dumbed down in many ways. I am first going to start with what has been done right which is the following: The world is once again huge with lots of areas to explore, the insides of dungeons and caves are more distinctive compared to oblivion, the graphics are a decent improvement for a game of this size(although i am only placing this as a pro because there are mods that make it better), the customization has been improved (although not greatly so for a game that has come out 5 years later after it's predecessor), there is an actual variety in vegetation zones compared to oblivion, the NPC's are more realistic and believable, the sound effects and music are very good, one of the greater improvements is the greater variety of combat options(Dual sword wielding, one arm magic one arm sword etc.), the dragon shouts are cool and add more combat tactics to the game, the level scaling has been improved, there are once again many quests and the game CAN provide hours and hours of entertainment, the skill tree and perk system is a nice touch. Now for the cons which unfortunately are many: The game implements very little battle tactics and does not require much technique or skill this is disappointing especially after playing a game such as Dark/Demon's souls, The game's quests are very repetitive(Steal this item, kill this guy/creature, clear this place out, retrieve this item, help this guy out, deliver or collect this/these items... yes and that's about it) and they don't have the same charm or excitement as oblivion did, there is less of a variety in enemies, there is slightly more voices in the game although the variety is simply not good enough of an improvement for five years later especially the female voices, the game is simply not rewarding (Most of the items found at the end of caves and ruins are rubbish as one can simply enchant far better items), the game has a lot of useless skills and activities (Alchemy and Smithing are a waste of time and are only used to level up, nothing good can be made from smithing, Alteration/ Illusion magic are useless as the only good spells that fall under these categories from oblivion have been taken away e.g. Paralysis, Invisibility (Unless i have not attained them yet which is unlikely as I have played 85 hours and have nearly clocked the game)), there is a disappointing variety of spells that can be bought and there are still only three categories for destruction spells (that being fire, electricity and ice) and there are no cool spells that have been added the current spells have simply been improved from oblivion, the leveling up has been dumbed down to three attributes (being health stamina and magic) no longer allowing greater specialization as oblivion had, leveling up in certain skills has no effect and simply unlocks perks of that specific skill, the story is simplistic, unepic, short and in the beginning a bit vague, other main quests are also very short and have not been improved from oblivion and in some cases are worse, gold is the reward mostly for completing quests although gold cannot be used for much at all (if you explore a lot) and is only used in the beginning of the game, Dragons and dragon encounters are cool in the beginning but become tedious/ boring and become pests a lot of the time as they are encountered too frequently, the game offers many shout powers but few are truly useful and effective(quality over quantity), while the level scaling has been fixed there are still problems as once one has unlocked all the perks for one's chosen speciality (one-hand, destruction etc.) one can become weaker as the the game allows only an improvement over health, stamina, magic (not magic strength or melee strength etc.)although this is not that prevalent, there is fewer variety in the creatures that one can summon(Only 4 as far as I know), 90% of what this game has to offer can be experienced and seen in the first 20 hours. Overall this game does not expand and improve enough and was over-hyped and the game is a disappointment in my opinion. I also want to say that the fact that the ps3 version does not work properly is inexcusable!. Not GOTY. 6.5/10. Expand
  76. Dec 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought the game on day one and began playing. I was disappointed with the CC and the ghastly lack of choices for making any type of attractive character for this game. Eventually got a playable character and found myself in a fairly standard opening scene typical of Oblivion, captured and on my way to execution. Oblivion had me already in a cell so pretty typical beginning. Found myself not so impressed with the world and graphics, they are nice but not amazing as claimed and the world colours are too muted for my taste.
    There are many many many quests to do so I got busy. After a few days of questing and exploring and beginning to get quite fed up with the very long dungeon quests I decided to get married. Marriage is a joke. Its a cold and lacklustre union with little to recommend it as the perks of marriage were glitched and didnt work as they should have. I also felt not one bit connected or fond of the guy as he pretty soon annoyed me with his getting stuck, getting in the way, sleeping on floors and calling me 'sister' instead of wife. Oh my God if they were going to bring us some marriage couldnt they have at least have made it a little more romantic and meaningful. Blah. :(
    I got bored and fed up with the bugs and glitches before I managed to finish the main quest. I would have loved to give this game a higher score but it feels like such a half- assed effort and I feel it is not one bit an improvement on Oblivion. (I really get mad when I think of this game-grr my lists of complaints are endless)
    For people who love meaningless quests for uninteresting NPCs and huge worlds to run around in for days on end this game will be a winner. Those of us who need an intelligent and interesting storyline and an immersive world, this game will be a HUGE HUGE disappointment so wait until it goes on sale and you have many many days with nothing else to do.
  77. Dec 17, 2011
    Amazing game. I run into some crashes on the PS3 on occasion but the game plays well and looks great. I spend half my day at work emailing friends about what they got into in game. An improvement over Oblivion.
  78. Dec 23, 2011
    This is the best game that I've ever played. I've never gotten into MMORPG because I don't like paying a subscription fee. The graphics are great and the content is overwhelming . On the PC version there are hundreds of mods to answer most critics. I honestly can't believe how deep this game is. It has its flaws as there are some bugs but nothing I've run into is game breaking. You couldThis is the best game that I've ever played. I've never gotten into MMORPG because I don't like paying a subscription fee. The graphics are great and the content is overwhelming . On the PC version there are hundreds of mods to answer most critics. I honestly can't believe how deep this game is. It has its flaws as there are some bugs but nothing I've run into is game breaking. You could read material in this game for what seems like ever. I'm not sure how an entire library of literature about this imaginary world possibly came about. Everything about seems brilliant to me but I had not payed any attention to this genre in gaming before. I've not played Morrow or any of the previous Elder Scrolls. To me this is not a 10 its a perfect 100. Expand
  79. Jan 20, 2012
    I wish I could give this game a 9.9 - there were a few bugs, one of which absolutely destroyed my first playthrough, so a "perfect 10" is overstating things ... VERY SLIGHTLY. But otherwise? Gorgeous landscapes, an intuitive interface, a wonderfully adaptive system that can handle almost any conceivable play style ... and oh, so very very many things to go out and DO. If you buy onlyI wish I could give this game a 9.9 - there were a few bugs, one of which absolutely destroyed my first playthrough, so a "perfect 10" is overstating things ... VERY SLIGHTLY. But otherwise? Gorgeous landscapes, an intuitive interface, a wonderfully adaptive system that can handle almost any conceivable play style ... and oh, so very very many things to go out and DO. If you buy only one game this year? Make it Skyrim!! Expand
  80. Feb 18, 2012
    Without writing an essay, most of you know what to expect from Skyrim so i'll skip all that and just say that this game loses two points for two reasons to earn 8/10 and they are:

1.Too many bugs to poke a stick at (can recall having to reload earlier saves at least twice due to game-breaking glitches). 2. An extremely primitive combat system, especially by today's standards. Besides

2. An extremely primitive combat system, especially by today's standards.

Besides these, Skyrim is a beautiful, rich and very immersive game that one should take their time to fully absorb its content.
  81. Apr 27, 2012
    Game is boring as 100 year old grandpa. The only positives it comes up with is graphics, fighting and music. Rest of it is sadly on low level. Threw it away on the garbage after 5 hours of playing. Wearisome story line and most of the side quests, option of fast travel (why you need to buy a horse if you can use it ?), inflexible characters, bunch of tips for retards which kill gameGame is boring as 100 year old grandpa. The only positives it comes up with is graphics, fighting and music. Rest of it is sadly on low level. Threw it away on the garbage after 5 hours of playing. Wearisome story line and most of the side quests, option of fast travel (why you need to buy a horse if you can use it ?), inflexible characters, bunch of tips for retards which kill game play and sadly lack of enemy NPC 's when you decide to travel normally. I think creators converged only on the size and beauty of the world they created, ignoring other aspects of the game. A very overrated production Expand
  82. May 29, 2012
    Although this game is great period, the PC version is by far the best. Great graphics, great storytelling, great game mechanics, extream replay value, first person RPG at its best. Easily one of the best games of all time.
  83. Jul 6, 2012
    This game is true masterpiece. Story, graphics, sound, open world. Also what makes any already great game even better - mods!
    Often you will just stop and look around, be it night or day, contemplating gorgeous landscapes. There is no need to hurry and do main storyline, you can just relax and explore. Not many games offer that. And most of them are not of THIS quality.
    P.S. And many
    P.S. And many thanks for hiring Max von Sydow! :)
  84. Dec 24, 2012
    how does this game have a 94 rating?
    it's horribly boring. i struggled to play for 12 hours, and was honestly bored out of my mind from hours 2-12. The only time that i really enjoyed skyrim was the first 15 minutes while i was creating my character.
    how does this game have a 94 rating?

the combat is clunky and horribly out-dated. you aim with your mouse and left-click to swing your sword. in 1997 i played a game with the exact same controls. the physics are horrible. you cant interact with, smash, push, pull, or break anything. while walking around you spontaneously stumble off of 3 centimeter hills and fall to your death while simultaneously being able to ride your horse up 90 degree slopes. how can a 2011 game not have multiplayer? the game is like pamela anderson: beautiful on the outside, but full of hepatitis, plastic, and other unmentionable things on the inside.
  85. Apr 27, 2015
    Mods are what has kept Skyrim going for years. The modding community has always been passionate about their work.

Well, guess what? Now Valve introduced paid mods with no copying protection, and modders only get 25% of the money? What drug was Valve on when they decided to implement this crap? And to think Bethesda, the game developers, fully supported this move, and get a whopping

What drug was Valve on when they decided to implement this crap? And to think Bethesda, the game developers, fully supported this move, and get a whopping 45% OF THE MONEY. It makes me angry just thinking about it.

Screw Bethesda. Screw Valve. Screw this game. It used to be fun. These two companies ruined it for me.
  86. Nov 18, 2011
    Absolute garbage not worthy of the Elderscrolls name! What we're they thinking when they made this? I bought this game with very high expectations only to be very disappointed by the mediocre gameplay to the wonky interface and whats with those graphics?....cmon!! Such a shame to see that the Elderscrolls has been reduced to this shoddy and buggy mess!
  87. Nov 11, 2011
    I've only played Skyrim for two hours now. I will admit that I hated Oblivion. Couldn't stand it. I even trolled Skyrim for 3/4ths of the year, but I decided to give Skyrim a try... and I will say so much that this game is really really good. There are a few bugs, but so far, they're not ones that may annoy the heck out of you. While there are still character models that tend to look theI've only played Skyrim for two hours now. I will admit that I hated Oblivion. Couldn't stand it. I even trolled Skyrim for 3/4ths of the year, but I decided to give Skyrim a try... and I will say so much that this game is really really good. There are a few bugs, but so far, they're not ones that may annoy the heck out of you. While there are still character models that tend to look the same, and voice actors that tend to be the same too, this doesn't happen all too frequently. The textures may not be the best out there, they certainly aren't the worst, and from a distance, they blend into the environment really well. I don't know what people are talking about in terms of dodgy controls. You have WASD to move, space to jump and so on. I think the only things that are dodgy using PC controls is that to use your left weapon, you need to click the right side of your mouse, and the same the other way around. But honestly: You can change that around in the control menu. I mean is that really hard? It takes 5 seconds. The other thing about naff controls is lock picking. While using a controller, you can slowly turn the lock, while pressing "A" on a keyboard in lock picking turns the lock real fast, so you could break the pick pretty fast, so you need to be careful. All in all, I cannot wait to spend my weekend on such a surprise. I would also recommend you buy on Steam because by the sounds of it, the retail version sounds like it's broken for the time being. Expand
  88. Nov 11, 2011
    Masterpiece.
    Some bugs, but it's to be expected of such a massive game. Lighten up critics.
    There is no better rpg than this, and I've played just about all of them.
  89. Nov 12, 2011
    If you didn't like Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas because that whole "exploring thing" was just too much bother then don;t go anywhere near this. If you want something that manages to take the best from all of those games and furnish them together in a massive, stunning package then yes, this is for you. I'm 20 hours in and it's only been out 2 days. In fact the onlyIf you didn't like Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas because that whole "exploring thing" was just too much bother then don;t go anywhere near this. If you want something that manages to take the best from all of those games and furnish them together in a massive, stunning package then yes, this is for you. I'm 20 hours in and it's only been out 2 days. In fact the only true worry i have about this game is that i may end up being more familiar with the world of skyrim than my own city. Expand
  90. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is a while lot of fun, I have been playing obsessively since its midnight release and I have been loving every minute. Clearing dungeons and slaying dragons are incredibly fun to do and leave the user with a feeling of accomplishment. Occasional glitches do little to detract from the hours of entertainment. Exploring is rewarding and challenging while interesting characters andThis game is a while lot of fun, I have been playing obsessively since its midnight release and I have been loving every minute. Clearing dungeons and slaying dragons are incredibly fun to do and leave the user with a feeling of accomplishment. Occasional glitches do little to detract from the hours of entertainment. Exploring is rewarding and challenging while interesting characters and unique characters make every encounter seem fresh and unusual. Its a really good game to eat up all your free time Expand
  91. Nov 21, 2011
    Sadly... i'm not trolling and the 5 i give this game is pretty lenient. I was super pumped up for this game one of their die hard fans but i'm sad to say that the quests in this game feels pretty weak. Finishing the Main, College of Winterhold, and Dark Brotherhood quests i feel that the quests in Skyrim doesn't have the same spark they did in Oblivion. Which really depresses meSadly... i'm not trolling and the 5 i give this game is pretty lenient. I was super pumped up for this game one of their die hard fans but i'm sad to say that the quests in this game feels pretty weak. Finishing the Main, College of Winterhold, and Dark Brotherhood quests i feel that the quests in Skyrim doesn't have the same spark they did in Oblivion. Which really depresses me considering i had such high expectations for this game but truly the quests in this game did not entertain me at all. While i do have to say Dark Brotherhood while not having that much of an entertaining questline they did have quite a great story. The main quest and College of Winterhold quests however feel very bland and after considering how much time was put into the game i would have thought that they would "wow" me sadly after i finished them i didn't feel any sense of accomplishment and while their is more to do in this game just by doing the College of Winterhold quests and Main quests has just brought down my expectations for the rest of the game. Sorry if this sounds like trolling but it is my honest opinion i hope this helps people that are about to buy Skyrim. Expand
  92. Dec 12, 2011
    A lot of hipsters hating on this because it's popular, you know the type. They'll say [insert band here] sucks, while they themselves can't sing a note or play an instrument to save their life. It's like saying the Beatles suck; they may not be your type of music, but to just dismiss them as crap is ignorant and petty.
  93. Apr 10, 2013
    Maybe the worst game ever.I played it 80 hours and finally realised that this game is repeating itself it started it at early every cave looks same.Every place is full with same enemies.Why are there enemies in this game when you hit them once and they are dead.I was excited about this game my friends told me this game is being good.When i killed the first dragon I had a feeling ofMaybe the worst game ever.I played it 80 hours and finally realised that this game is repeating itself it started it at early every cave looks same.Every place is full with same enemies.Why are there enemies in this game when you hit them once and they are dead.I was excited about this game my friends told me this game is being good.When i killed the first dragon I had a feeling of success.10 minutes later another dragon.easy to kill.After completing some caves i met another dragon killed it.Now after like 10 hours game play it started to repeat itself.After 5 minutes another dragon.Again after 5 minutes dragon.Same caves same enemies.It started do bore me but i wanted to finish what i have started.I finished this game realising final boss was easier than normal dragons whats up with that.Really boring.Also crashes often.Has very large amount cliches. Expand
  94. Nov 21, 2011
    Ok dont get mad but i have the pc version yes its a good game but for people that have problems to even run this game or crashing like every 5 min its not and no not my pc have problems i have a high end system with 3x27 inc monitor and 2xhd5970 in crossfire and 16gb 2000mhz ram and SSD3 drive. And every other game out there have never fail to run. This game however was bugged before iOk dont get mad but i have the pc version yes its a good game but for people that have problems to even run this game or crashing like every 5 min its not and no not my pc have problems i have a high end system with 3x27 inc monitor and 2xhd5970 in crossfire and 16gb 2000mhz ram and SSD3 drive. And every other game out there have never fail to run. This game however was bugged before i even play it. I need to change my sound system to even let me run in the main menu of the game !!! ok now easy fixs easy go you will say? no the first day i was hook at it no crashing nothing just some random flicking screen glitching and some purple texture failing but well the game keeps running so fine by me. Next day and 4 days later the game crash every time when you fast traveling.!!! so i get piss and i get mad i stop playing this now i found the bug but i not going to tell you fixs it because people need to understand that a bugged game is not a game. But a crap. If the game was stable in the begin i give it a 10 for sure. But with all the bugs and crashing and anoying texture bugs i gave it a 5. Till the fixs it and repost this post with a 8 for fixsing this game. Expand
  95. Jan 3, 2014
    i must confess i just created this account to express my ongoing dystopian feeling about this game. i mean "wtf is this?" a game so full of bugs its rarely playable 2(!!!) years after showing up.
    i actually still read new threads about the bugging engine today!(64hertz bug im talkin about). an engine, programmed several years (seven ago by an expanding software company which actually bugs TODAY, guys. yes it bugs TODAY!!!
    after several sleepness nights of thousands of users trying to make fallout 3, fallout nv and now actually skyrim run without permanent bugs, this flippin engine still bugs!
    now that i call user-friendly programming. and the hype still continues. 2 expansions big time hype lots of money NO FIX! WTF IS Up here how can this game be so overhyped? its not even running! This world is CRAZY! nothing about the game itself, as all other bethesda titles the gameplay COULD BE awesome. but wtf you bethesda guys living on the moon? fix your goddamn games for christ sake, hear the community of thousands of people complaining and FIX IT!
    this behaviour totally deserves a 0. we would still sit on trees if the whole humankind would be that stubborn.
  96. Dec 12, 2011
    This is my 3rd rewiev, and I started at the score 0. I've been playing for about 25 hours now.

Positive: graphics is great, even on my HP laptop. Gameplay is fun and addictive. Big world, with a lot of quests. Great cities, compared to Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc. Almost unending gameplay. The world feels a live with all these critters running around. Negative: Dialogues is weak, you can ALMOST say everything to some guy, and it still has same effect. Bugs is really bad, I am reinstalling Skyrim right now, because I can't fast travel, dragons is flying the wrong way which causes big laggs, a lot of quests is just really boring(there is some good ones too, don't get it the wrong way) and dragons are sometimes invincble.

I think the game is pretty good, but it could get A LOT better. I would reccomend it to everyone, because we all need to make an effort, to safe the lands of Skyrim!
  97. Dec 6, 2013
    When I played this game, I loved it, but after 2 hours of game play I started to became crazy, this game is FULL of glitches, bugs and crashes, and not the simple ones; the very bad ones!!!
    My game has:
    -Crash in black Screen -Crash in error -Crash in the game stop working -Crash that makes impossible to make the story (happened to me 3 times) -Horses that fly -Black boots (All
    My game has:

-Crash in black Screen
    -Crash in error
    -Crash in the game stop working
    -Crash that makes impossible to make the story (happened to me 3 times)
    -Horses that fly
    -Black boots (All the boots became black and shiny)
    -Trolls that fly
    -Dragons that are friendly
    -My character stuck on the ground
    -My character going down the world and getting in a infinite void
    -Explosions between battles
    -VERY LONG (Like 3 hours) CHARGING SCREENS
    -Stupid characters not following (The one from the start)
    -Instant suicide (My character dying)
    -And many other Bugs, Glitches and Crashes

So that is why I think this game should be erased from this planet, this game sucks!!!!
    NEVER BUY IT!!!!!!!!
  98. Nov 12, 2011
    I have played the PC version 18 hours in the last two days (because it is that great) and have had almost no issues (1 quit to desktop).

I am (maybe I should now say "was") not an Elder Scrolls fanatic. In fact, my first was Oblivion, which I got because of my interest in Skyrim. I hated Oblivion. I found it buggy, ugly, and boring, even with mods. I tried Fallout 3 after that, but only found it less ugly and boring but still just as buggy. I almost didn't get Skyrim after this, but I am VERY glad I did. It has exceeded my expectations and is deserving of the hype and accolades.

The graphics on Ultra @ 1080p (thanks to SLI 560 TIs) are beautiful and smooth, and using a 360 controller lets me sit on the couch and enjoy it on the big screen.

I'm not a big RPG fan. I loved Red Dead Redemption, but I think Skyrim is even better. There may be some die-hard E.S. fans that will give this a bad rating because it may not be similar enough to the previous titles, but my guess is that is why I am enjoying it so much.

Great game. Get it now if you have any interest.
  99. Nov 21, 2011
    Starting off the game with a poorly scripted introduction, into a world of non-existent auto-save and useless magic. The graphics are meh, and the creators constantly blame the poor quality of the game on the fact that the game covers so many aspects. Well I have an idea for you developers, make a game that covers less aspects that isn't **** Getting killed and having to redo entire bossStarting off the game with a poorly scripted introduction, into a world of non-existent auto-save and useless magic. The graphics are meh, and the creators constantly blame the poor quality of the game on the fact that the game covers so many aspects. Well I have an idea for you developers, make a game that covers less aspects that isn't **** Getting killed and having to redo entire boss fights, and navigating through a console ripped inventory system that won't let you equip weapons properly. Not to mention the half mouse based and half keyboard based game menu and lack of in-game graphic settings sets the fate of a 50 dollar Farcry 2, and Fall Out 3: New Vegas texture bundle.
    I do not suggest buying this game unless your a fan boy peasant who likes whatever mainstream **** comes out because your friends think its cool.
  100. Nov 14, 2011
    The game is "good" or "very good" depending on your expectations and system configuration. Compared to other RPG games, Skyrim offers a lot of stuff to do and many little details that can make you feel "deeply involved" in the game. Example: if you drop a piece of armor on the ground in any town, a random npc could stop and ask "you don't need this, can I grab it?". If you agree, the npcThe game is "good" or "very good" depending on your expectations and system configuration. Compared to other RPG games, Skyrim offers a lot of stuff to do and many little details that can make you feel "deeply involved" in the game. Example: if you drop a piece of armor on the ground in any town, a random npc could stop and ask "you don't need this, can I grab it?". If you agree, the npc will pick the gear piece and wear it, then walk away. In that sense, Skyrim offers lots of "wow!" situations. So why am I giving 7/10? Because reviews don't mention anything about bad graphics, bad animations, bad physics and bad npcs. Yes, they are good "overall". But the amount of inconsistencies, small bugs in pathfinding, ai, answers, dialogues, physics, ... is really too much to give a full 10/10 to the game. Jsut a small example: are you afraid of giants? No problem: just fight while above something (a rock, a small hill, a log, ...) and they wont be able to climb with you. These kind of "path-problems" is quite common and pretty easy to come across. Expand
  101. Mar 4, 2014
    Since I´m not into the ElderScrolls games (only played Skyrim), this game is not much more than Fallout 3 in a fantasy world. It hase some nice features like the huge world, crafting and a nice set of quests. But it feels like a Fantasy-SinglePlayer-SecondLife.
    It has some flaws, foremost a missing golden thread. My motivation curve was a downward spiral, since progress became repetitive and pointless. Skills, equipment and even leveling becomes senseless at some point (far from endgame), since it´s possible to win every fight by using brainpower.
    The world feels empty, grey and static, by the way. So many possibilities wasted...

A big world to discover, some nice hours of gameplay, but far from being a hypeworthy, shimmering gem of video game. So: some honest 7 of 10. Clearly above average, but not outstanding.

1. Feb 29, 2012