8.2

1. Nov 11, 2011
    If you buy one game this year, this is the one to get, it's the best elder scrolls yet, minus the ui, and the graphical errors, it would be perfect, but those will get patched and modded out. Bottom line BUY THIS GAME
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim, one of the most anticipated games of 2011 and well worthy of all the positive reviews. Many aspects of Skyrim have improved over Oblivion, changes made have been for the better, Bethesda are likely in for another Game Of The Year and here are a couple reasons why. The game mechanics and all specializations such as combat, stealth and magic have been greatly improved over theirSkyrim, one of the most anticipated games of 2011 and well worthy of all the positive reviews. Many aspects of Skyrim have improved over Oblivion, changes made have been for the better, Bethesda are likely in for another Game Of The Year and here are a couple reasons why. The game mechanics and all specializations such as combat, stealth and magic have been greatly improved over their predecessor, Oblivion. Not only is there much more to do this time around such as smith, get paid jobs and even get married, but all the details from the game have been enhanced further. An example of this is lock-picking, Bethesda have defiantly taken on feedback not just from Oblivion but Fallout 3 and have applied it successfully in Skyrim. Minor things such as adding animation to inanimate objects such as doors and chests as well as adding fog and smoke in caves and mines really adds to the whole atmosphere in a game. It's not all about the minor details of course, Bethesda have clearly used the talent of their new level designers, dungeons and caves feel are no longer linear like they were in Oblivion. The extensive use of puzzles as well as adding depth, forcing the player to explore in more upwards and downwards direction really makes the game feel a whole lot more natural and larger in size. There are also much less boring quests this time around, Bethesda have clearly put a strong emphasis on making the game feel as large and detailed as possible. The music also makes the game, the fantastic compositions by Jeremy Soule and superb voice acting by over 70 voice actors, make Skyrim worth buying alone. I could ramble all day by how fantastic this game is, even if you are one who dislikes the idea of a role-playing game or a free-roam game, I can assure you there's more to it that what it may initially appear to be. Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    When The Witcher 2 first came out, I said that Skyrim couldn't possibly be better; well, ladies and gentlemen, I was wrong. Very,very wrong. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim takes everything you loved about the previous titles and doubles it. Where to start? Oh, how about the world itself. Remember how big Oblivion and Morrowind were; in Skyrim, you could put both worlds into this game andWhen The Witcher 2 first came out, I said that Skyrim couldn't possibly be better; well, ladies and gentlemen, I was wrong. Very,very wrong. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim takes everything you loved about the previous titles and doubles it. Where to start? Oh, how about the world itself. Remember how big Oblivion and Morrowind were; in Skyrim, you could put both worlds into this game and STILL have so much more to explore. Some say the quests and fighting is boring, but trust me, none of the quests are what they seem. There's a suprise waiting around every corner, and even finding a missing child or travelling to a village throw twists that would make M. Night Shyamlan say "Damn!" There are many games out there that just say "Do this, hero." without really giving your character any motivation at all. Well, if you want inspiration to be the strongest, toughest, smartest hero in all of Tamriel, just look up. I talk of course, about the dragons. As most of you know, your character is a dragonborn. I don't want to go into too much detail about it, but suffice it to say that the dragons are majorly pissed at you, and will sometimes attack you completely at random. Not bad enough? Sometimes you'll just be walking along with some peasants or hill giants, all of you just minding your own business, and then suddenly "BAM!" random dragon attack. These encounters are not only intense, but very rewarding. You see, each time you kill a dragon, you gain its soul. These souls are used to activate certain dragonian power words that are not only insanely powerful, but require absolutely no magika at all, just a set cooldown after each use. This also gives you plenty of inspiration to go exploring dungeons. At the end of caves or dungeons, there are a myriad of rewards. They could be an exotic weapon, a f***load of gold, or best of all, a new dragon power word to learn. So how will you go about doing all this awesome stuff? Will you sneak around like a shadowscale? Fight like a Blade? Or throw spells like a crazed Enchanter? Well, with the new dual wield and skill system, you can fight however you want. With dual wield, you can put any weapon in either hand (staff/sword, heal spell/fire spell, dual daggers, etc.) to make your own special combination. At first glance, the skill system looks almost the same, and yes, it even levels the same too, but it has been rewritten and is now far mor versatile than ever before. In fact, at the beginning, you only pick your race (the usual lot), and the rest develops along your own playstyle. The only really significant times the game ever forces you to play in one particular style is when you fight dragons, but otherwise I can't really complain too much. This brings up a few flaws in the game. First, as everyone had mentioned, the textures in the game do feel dated and rigid, and things can get a little repetitive. Though the conversations are suprisingly 3 dimensional, the NPCs still look stiff and akward when speaking. I will not mention the glitches of this game because there have been none that I've found, that do more than make you ask "WTF" for a second, and the few that still exist are probably just the result of "First Week Syndrome", so I won't take off for them. All in all, this game is a masterpiece of storytelling, action, and exploration that make the Witcher 2 look like Contra. Get this game, and you will never regret it. Expand
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    These people who gave Skyrim 0 / 10 are mentally retarded. If you rate the RPG game (300 hours long) after 30 mins of gaming your brains are pretty **** up. Skyrim is optimized pretty well and is much improved in comparison to Morrowind or Oblivion.
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    OK so Skyrim... I will keep it simple.

Good stuff: spellcasting immersion (streams carry you if you try to swim, beetles in forests that you can catch, night sky) atmosphere looks (not graphics LOOKS as in it aesthetically it looks great but it's still a DX9 game in **** 2011) character models (much better than in Oblivion) character faces (again much better than Oblivion) dungeons traps
    OK so Skyrim... I will keep it simple.

Good stuff:

atmosphere
    character models (much better than in Oblivion)
    character faces (again much better than Oblivion)
    dungeons traps soundtrack

Bad stuff:

User Interface is pure consolitis designed for controller not M+K
    melee and combat in general (melee sucks the most it's like they didn't improve one bit from oblivion hell they made it even worse now you cant even backpedal and thus cant evade **** the melee is nothing but a button masher at best
    controls - I mean ...there are some things that are just puzzling. For example you cant jump from sprinting. Why? It makes no sense what so ever.
    inconsistency (something looks great and then you notice the wall behind it with 420x200 textures or some **** like that)

Bugs

A lot of them. And some really REALLY annoying ones like chickens and horses report you for stealing/murdering. Yep. You heard it right. **** chickens and horses are witnesses.

That all said it's a good game IMO. Can and will be improved with mods. Pity if you're a console users you wont experience them. So yeah not a perfect game but it's good stuff.

Oh yeah and a big **** YOU to Todd Bull**** Howard for lying to us PC users that we are getting a User Interface made FOR m+k and not just a port from consoles. I am really disappoint. That and I am also very disappointed when they in a recent interview said that "it's hard to program for PC and there is a lot of piracy"

Console version was leaked 2 weeks before the launch and nobody said anything. And to think that a company that owes it's existence to PC market says something like that.... just disgusting.
  6. Nov 14, 2011
    I cannot believe the average critic rating for this is 96. It's just sad that such a flawed game can receive a score 4 points away from absolutely perfect. In some places, the graphics even look inferior to Oblivion (such as lack of properly rendered textures, so reflections of light on walls don't happen, animation is just as awful, objects don't reflect or shine anymore) I've beenI cannot believe the average critic rating for this is 96. It's just sad that such a flawed game can receive a score 4 points away from absolutely perfect. In some places, the graphics even look inferior to Oblivion (such as lack of properly rendered textures, so reflections of light on walls don't happen, animation is just as awful, objects don't reflect or shine anymore) I've been playing for almost 20 hours now and am amazed that supposedly reputable review sites would be so generous to a game that is ridden with bugs, glitches and design problems. Movement is SLOW. Very slow - get a horse and it's barely any faster - sure you can sprint but the horse runs out of stamina, and if it gets hit it runs away and sometimes disappears entirely (one of the many weird glitches). You can get companions to follow you around, but they walk at a snails pace and get in the way when you're in dungeons. Combat is exactly the same as Oblivion, just point at the enemy and spam the button. You'll have read about the awful UI. Yes, on the PC it really is that bad. Good luck scanning through a massive inventory - it was better on Oblivion, at least you could view your character. Yes, in this game you cannot even see your character when setting up equipment and there's no way of sorting items. The graphics really do look like something from 4 years ago (and I have a decent rig, it's even rubbish on ultra). Textures are so poor they look like PS2 at points. The music is okay but nothing memorable. The quests are nothing more complex than standard WoW stuff (go here, talk to this guy, bring me that object). Recent RPGs have been pretty bad, so this is going to do well because it's something to play, but much I wanted to like this, it's a poor effort. I'm stunned that the reviewers have rated this so highly. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    Holy crap!! Last night when I installed Skyrim on my beefy machine, my 4 other friends were sitting with me... It took awhile to get it started and after creating a character, (which by-the-way blew everyone's minds) we set out to explore. Within the 4 hours of playing, "Holy crap" was dropped more than a thousand times! Of course the more offensive word was used, but I figured you wouldHoly crap!! Last night when I installed Skyrim on my beefy machine, my 4 other friends were sitting with me... It took awhile to get it started and after creating a character, (which by-the-way blew everyone's minds) we set out to explore. Within the 4 hours of playing, "Holy crap" was dropped more than a thousand times! Of course the more offensive word was used, but I figured you would figure out that yourself.

It left us all in awe... Yes, thats right. AWE... I have more than 500 games on my computer. I am not kidding. 430 on Steam alone. No other game I have has had this impact. Sure, there are some games that simply look amazing, but Skyrim takes awesome, and turns up the awe to the point of mesmerizing.

Everyone's socks were blown right off into oblivion.

On a 27" monitor with 2 GTX590's this game is worth the investment I made. Until last night, my friends thought I was nuts to upgrade so heavily. They understand now. Oh yea, they understand perfectly well why I upgraded, and now all of them want the same system to play Skyrim. If you upgraded your computer you are going to witness an amazing game. To those that have old computers, well, its going to suck being you. The low ratings here are based upon people who have old computers.

Skyrim is simply a mind-blowing visual extravaganza. Holy crap...
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    Terrible controls for the PC. Remapping buttons causes some features to simply not work at all such as stealing books or crafting. Gotta admit it does run stable, but really doesn't look much better than oblivion did 5 years ago. The mouse Y sensitivity is somehow controlled by the frame rate, so you'll never have the controls exactly as you want them. The good thing is I have had noTerrible controls for the PC. Remapping buttons causes some features to simply not work at all such as stealing books or crafting. Gotta admit it does run stable, but really doesn't look much better than oblivion did 5 years ago. The mouse Y sensitivity is somehow controlled by the frame rate, so you'll never have the controls exactly as you want them. The good thing is I have had no stability issues or crashes of any kind, which makes sense since it's basically Oblivion with a worse UI and menu system. Looks a bit better, but nothing like the screenshots from Bethesda on any settings. Would rent only, and then use a console as the PC version is an afterthough. Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    One of the best RPGs (and arguably games) I have ever played - yes there are minor (very minor problems), but it gets so much right - engrossing story/conversations, stunning visuals and environment design, epic soundtrack, fun combat system - so fun in fact, many of my friends can't decide on the combination of weapons/magic to go for.

The controls are great and the 360 controller

The controls are great and the 360 controller integration makes it easy to sit back and relax.

A must buy!
  10. Nov 12, 2011
    My friends and I(7 of us altogether) went out yesterday to pick up our CE pre orders for Skyrim. 3 hours only 1 of us was able to get the game running past load up simply because they were running on an older version of windows. Blatant console port with terrible mouse acceleration in menues, derpy animations for EVERYTHING, physics is retarded because they haven't made any improvementsMy friends and I(7 of us altogether) went out yesterday to pick up our CE pre orders for Skyrim. 3 hours only 1 of us was able to get the game running past load up simply because they were running on an older version of windows. Blatant console port with terrible mouse acceleration in menues, derpy animations for EVERYTHING, physics is retarded because they haven't made any improvements since Oblivion, buggy and boring combat and an ok story but even that's generic. Skyrim on PC gets a zero because the game doesn't like loading up and I've already exchanged it for the PS3 version. And I doubt Bethesda will do anything for the numerous bugs in the game, instead they'll once again, let the community do their work Expand
  11. Nov 12, 2011
    Fallout 3 with dragons and swords. This is what this game is. I simply cannot understand the hype around this game.

Level designers worked their asses off, because everything in the game is detailed, and each zone, and each house have a story to tell. But graphics are horrible. Everything has that bland, monochrome Fallout 3 look. Facial animations look like something from 2005, and the entire game feels like it was built on some game engine from the same era, that Bethesda continuously iterated upon until Skyrim. (Oh, wait, that actually happened. Bethesda could have learned something from Valve's Source engine, because that's what good iteration looks like.) The facial animations are so bad and ugly that, at times, I can't even understand what character is actually speaking.

Voice acting is terrible, I was expecting much more from Skyrim. The UI is nothing to write home about.

All these shortcomings, yet people rave about this game like it's the second coming of baby Jesus. What is this world coming to?
  12. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim will definitely be Game of the Year. Best TES Game I ever played. Also the Steelbook, map of Skyrim and the coloured Manual are awesome. Buy it!
  13. Nov 18, 2011
    I really want to like this game I really do. But the UI on the PC is just horrendous. No modern PC game should ship with a 100% console UI and awful support for keyboard and mouse. All kinds of performance issues, I had a game stopping issue that took 4 days and a user fix to make the game playable.

Once I was able to play the game, with an xbox controller mind you, It was a lot of fun. It is a very atmospheric game and is a whole lot of fun when you can play it. Getting to play it is the obstacle on the PC however.

Here is to hoping the patch will fix these issues, if so I would have no issues giving this game a 8. But the UI has to be fixed.
  14. Nov 12, 2011
    Ok my first review was a 7 and after 2 hours of gameplay
    now after about 10 have to drop it to 5, like someone else already mentioned
    why are my weapons invincible? and why do i regenerate health so quick? fights are already pretty easy , this way you're a demi-god... Lore is nice, but yes have to agree take Morrowind make it a bit more classic fantasy and remove some of the weird
    Ok my first review was a 7 and after 2 hours of gameplay
    now after about 10 have to drop it to 5, like someone else already mentioned
    why are my weapons invincible? and why do i regenerate health so quick?
    fights are already pretty easy , this way you're a demi-god...
    Lore is nice, but yes have to agree take Morrowind make it a bit more classic fantasy and remove some of the weird interesting stuff (Silt stride -> dude on a cart)
    After a few hours menus became a bit more easy to use, but they still are console menus, and yes the fights look horrible, especially when you manage to start a "finishing move", which , don't ask me why happens 80% of times, making fights even more easy.
    A bit of a delusion , was expecting something more, even if i was aware Bethesda is not my kind of RPG game developer.
  15. Nov 16, 2011
    The reviewers must of gotten a different game to us. This game feels like it was made for console, it is so sluggish even with 60fps, You cant browse the menus with your mouse, only the keyboard works, that in itself is a 0. The graphics are some of the worst i've seen compared to the era they were released in. The game itself? who knows, there's too many hindrances to get to the gameplayThe reviewers must of gotten a different game to us. This game feels like it was made for console, it is so sluggish even with 60fps, You cant browse the menus with your mouse, only the keyboard works, that in itself is a 0. The graphics are some of the worst i've seen compared to the era they were released in. The game itself? who knows, there's too many hindrances to get to the gameplay itself. I'm sure if i tried the console version it'd be near flawless as the consoles have very strict releasing protocols.
    I guess with the pc version they threw their hands in the air and said let the mod community fix it for us.
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    Open, grand, beautiful, rich and several other words have ebeen used to describe this game, and it is all true. A long awaited sequel, that delivers on every promise, which in it self is an achevement. Games like these are one in a billion.
  17. Nov 14, 2011
    The negative critics are rating the game off of **** You rate the game off of what it is and how the producers than brought that to life. It's like you're asking for a good steak from TGIF. 10/10 easy.
  18. Nov 12, 2011
    Abysmal! I can't believe the high scores this game is receiving. This is one of the worst console to PC ports I've ever had the misfortune to play. This game might be acceptable on the console, but on the PC it's just atrocious! I'm sorry, but I cannot recommend this game to any PC gamer.
  19. Nov 13, 2011
    Absolutely horrible performance, bugs everywhere, awful menu system and UI, and it isn't even that fun. Oblivion was interesting and felt like something I wanted to explore. This game, at least what I've experienced of it, is nothing but "go here and talk to this person" and "go here and find this thing". You get to traverse large, empty plains and mountains that remind me of Fallout moreAbsolutely horrible performance, bugs everywhere, awful menu system and UI, and it isn't even that fun. Oblivion was interesting and felt like something I wanted to explore. This game, at least what I've experienced of it, is nothing but "go here and talk to this person" and "go here and find this thing". You get to traverse large, empty plains and mountains that remind me of Fallout more than anything. The animation is nice, graphics are okay at best, but sound and music is mediocre and mono-sounding. It also isn't really fun to play at a constant 30fps when you're using the lowest possible settings. Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2011
    I like this type of games, I am a huge Morrowind and Oblivion fan, but after the first hours of game-play I must say that the user interface is just horrible as is the fighting and lock-picking.

I think this game has such high scores only because of its predecessors.
  21. Nov 12, 2011
    No STATS. No character doll. Stupid consolish interface. Outdated DirectX9 engine. Lot of low-res textures. Sometimes funny psychics. Combat is dull and simple. etc. etc.
  22. Nov 11, 2011
    To those who can't believe how somebody could rate this game so low, I know exactly how you feel, about the game and the rating. I couldn't possibly care any less though.:)
    Good WRPG is all about choices/options and involved/enjoyable character development. An epic, well written story helps as well. This game does not have any of this.
    With a large world to explore, it first felt like a
    With a large world to explore, it first felt like a lot was possible. Cave exploration, ruin exploration, underwater exploration, fight X creature, find a random town and talk to random denizen, etc. After about 10 hours, it became more obvious that, yeah there is a lot you can do on the side, just none of it was all that interesting. At a certain point it just felt like I was playing offline MMO, in that the game allows you to do so much but it's just done so poorly.
    I know that the graphics aren't the most important part of a game like this but Skyrim don't even look average. I would never be so ridiculous as to say that I would buy a game just based on the visuals, but this game look like heavily moded Oblivion.
  23. Nov 11, 2011
    Bethesda has done it again, folks. They released oblivion, again. This game will satisfy your yearning for endless wandering through a painfully unimaginative world with blocky characters, cups, goblets and plates. This is the exact same game as oblivion only Bethesda has somehow managed to make the graphics look even more hideous despite taking advantage of the latest technology. ThereBethesda has done it again, folks. They released oblivion, again. This game will satisfy your yearning for endless wandering through a painfully unimaginative world with blocky characters, cups, goblets and plates. This is the exact same game as oblivion only Bethesda has somehow managed to make the graphics look even more hideous despite taking advantage of the latest technology. There are some neat effects here and there but the world is largely filled with dull, ugly textures and awful character models. It also seems that they have combed through their past games to make they replaced every interesting artistic idea with a generic fantasy cliché. I have no idea why they did this. Morrowind had plenty of original and imaginative artistic designs. This dull world feels awkward and floaty, just like the last game. The worst part of it is that there is almost no new content. Looking through the character choices, skills, items, they are all taken from oblivion. I could forgive the boring fantasy clichés, floaty combat, ugly graphics.. etc if there was actually some substantially new content here. All of the laudatory reviews seem to ignore this glaringly obvious issue. If you were hoping for another expansion pack for Oblivion than this game might be worth it. Expand
  24. Nov 13, 2011
    BLAND BLAND BLAND.

How this can get 10's from 10's of critics is beyond me. Oh, I have a thing or two to say about that.. 1. Design is bland. Enviroments look just the same as Oblivion, with the same random-dungeon-generation as Oblivion, with the same lack of feeling, charisma, distinctiveness. It's like it couldn't be made better looking and equally uninteresting at the same time. None
    BLAND BLAND BLAND.

1. Design is bland. Enviroments look just the same as Oblivion, with the same random-dungeon-generation as Oblivion, with the same lack of feeling, charisma, distinctiveness. It's like it couldn't be made better looking and equally uninteresting at the same time. None of the enviroments are actually connected to any type of function - they're just made to look awesome. Large expances? Check. Walkways floating in the air? Check. Underground lighting and strange floating plants? Check. Oh, and I started as a feline with enhanced vision to see in the dark. Think I ever needed to use it? Nope! Chuck Testa.

2. Game mechanics are bland. Wow, I got a sword that does 15 fire damage instead of 10. THAT's CONSIDERABLE. Oh, this sword does frost damage instead of fire, NEVERMIND, damagetype almost never matters ANYWAY. Perks? Yeah, 20% more damage, 40% more damage, can it get more flavorful? Oh, what's that I hear? You can get 25% chance to make monsters bleed from axes or something? ... Sorry, I think I fell asleep. Automatic difficulity adjustment is back, btw! Hell, you're wearing the best armor possible? Well, be prepared to be slaughtered by peasants and iron-armed cave-men. All for a decent challenge, you know!

3. Spells are bland. Fear, Spark, Fireball, Tashas hideus laughter - sorry, made the last one up. That one would actually been interesting. Make X do Y for Z seconds. Step-n-repeat. All elemental spells have same structure: Low-level, medium-level, high-level, a bit more awesome level, I can guess what this is going to be level, and I couln't care less level.

4. Dragons? Yeah, **** fly-like-on-rails one-trick-pony kill-them-the-same-way dragons. All look the same. Try killing them with a close-range weapon? HAH!!! Yeah right. Try instead getting them glich-stuck behind a tree and spend 20 minutes waiting for your mana to recharge or your petty spells to do your work. Dragon powers? You can become a ventriloquist! With great power comes great responsiblities!

5. Inventory? HAH! Be ready to spend equal time in the horrible menu-system as watching the scenery go by, slowly on a horse with no name that can actually run - for 10 seconds - then plot along. Potions of healing and Potions of health and Potions of Regeneration and Potions of **** well, all these are going to be just a blast scrolling though. Some heal you. Some doesn't. You'll just have to find all of them again and again. Easy to recognize visual representations? Pff.. who needs'em. Up, down, left, right. Get ready to be confused. Select skills without jumping to another skill and trying again and again and again and again and almost destrying your keyboard? You wish!

Well, at least it doesn't have any bugs.. ..oh, wait.
  25. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is one big marketing joke, it was anticipitated to the sky's, and look now? what an unfinished wierd ass game, yeah the game is BIG, and EMPTY, the controls are really stupid, the graphic havent changed much, caves, dungeons looks awfull in textures, dont be fooled here guys, this is not worth it, just can't accept that it gets 9/10 - 10/10 almost everywhere, now i dont give aThis game is one big marketing joke, it was anticipitated to the sky's, and look now? what an unfinished wierd ass game, yeah the game is BIG, and EMPTY, the controls are really stupid, the graphic havent changed much, caves, dungeons looks awfull in textures, dont be fooled here guys, this is not worth it, just can't accept that it gets 9/10 - 10/10 almost everywhere, now i dont give a s... about those reviews around anymore! normally i would give it 5-6/10 but because every "gamesite" is giving 9-10 witch is such a joke, then i only give it 0. its not even close to 7-8-9-10 at all.. Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2011
    Absolutely awful. Try remapping the keys to the keypad and you get "this key is reserved," even though it really isn't. The graphics are absolutely awful, the mouse control is absurd, and textures are washed out and bland. How did this hogwash get released for PC? Why did Bethesda even bother? I get the feeling that most of the reviews here saying "GAME OF THE YEAR" are payed reviewers.
  27. Nov 12, 2011
    After playing for about 4 hours I realized that this game was way over hyped. After getting out of the starting zone, I killed a chicken outside in this small town. After that, I entered the house which is kind of your starting home base. A man inside attacked me because I hit the chicken (which he didn't see). I fought back and killed him, his wife and then started fighting myAfter playing for about 4 hours I realized that this game was way over hyped. After getting out of the starting zone, I killed a chicken outside in this small town. After that, I entered the house which is kind of your starting home base. A man inside attacked me because I hit the chicken (which he didn't see). I fought back and killed him, his wife and then started fighting my companion. The companion went to zero health which forced him on his knees, I kept attacking him with my sword but he wouldn't die, he then stood up with full health and kept attacking me. After realizing that this guy is immortal I had to flee the village...

A few negatives: even though the graphics look bad, my video card was still stressing and heated up to 75 degrees in certain areas. My card normally stays below 70 degrees even on much better looking games. The combat system is also a joke, doesn't feel like you're even hitting your opponents.
  28. Nov 18, 2011
    it's a well done game in some ways, mainly if you're a console gamer.
    the menu designs are just horrible on pc, why can't i use my mouse???
    graphics are sub par, over hyped, and the character progression is painfully simple.
    i got bored and frustrated after only 6 hours in :/
  29. Nov 11, 2011
    I am so disappointed after waiting so long for the next Elder Scrolls. Morrowind and Oblivion are among my favorite games of all time, and when they were released were among the forefront of gaming as far as visuals, sound, and scale. Skyrim falls short, and is clearly not "next gen" material. The animations look so bad I want to quit. The outdoor visuals are pretty good but theI am so disappointed after waiting so long for the next Elder Scrolls. Morrowind and Oblivion are among my favorite games of all time, and when they were released were among the forefront of gaming as far as visuals, sound, and scale. Skyrim falls short, and is clearly not "next gen" material. The animations look so bad I want to quit. The outdoor visuals are pretty good but the dungeons look exactly like Oblivion. Facial animations are terrible, and the scripted events the first 10 minutes were so bad I didn't think I could make it through them. Come on Bethesda! Its been many years since the last Elder Scrolls, this one should be SO much better -- instead it looks like a highly modded Oblivion. I watched a temple/dungeon just "appear" as I walked up to it -- that's 90's game crap. I can't believe the people giving this game such good reviews. And its SO clear that Bethesda put ZERO effort into the PC version: its clearly for consoles to the point where a mouse and keyboard are very awkward (and they should be better than a controller/gamepad). I've never bought into the conspiracy that game review websites get "paid" by big publishers/developers, but any site giving this more than a 7 is getting paid, sites giving it more than a 4 are drinking the Koolaid. Bethesda, this has been a huge disappointment for a long-time fan. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2011
    Holy ****
    This is TRULY A TERRIBLE GAME.
    DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP!
    Please save yourselves the time and dont support devs that make terrible games like this!
  31. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is really broken on PC, it's unbelievable that reviewers do not take into account whether developers put in any effort on the version (PC) of the game that they are rating. Bethesda have sadly been extremely lazy on the PC side. I'm not talking about no added bells and whistles, I'm simply talking about basic PC functionality not working.

- Numerous graphical issues - Alt-tab

- Numerous graphical issues
    - Alt-tab causing hangs/crashes (this isn't even hard to fix!)
    - No borderless windowed mode
    - No key bindings
    - Little/no support for non-xbox controllers
    - Mouse acceleration cannot be disabled

Unfortunately this was a double day 1 purchase for myself and my wife so we could play through it this weekend, but it looks like this game is hardly playable in its current state (on our 2 PC's). A friend of ours woke up at silly o' clock to play it and ended up going back to sleep because of what a terrible state it is in. I wouldn't be complaining if this issue was limited to a single machine, but the fact is that this game is very broken on all the machines that ourselves and our friend have tried it on.

If you haven't bought this game already, I would recommend not purchasing it until it is fixed.
  32. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    Fire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the littleFire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the little problems and annoyances like the unresponsive combat (no feedback on hits? seriously?) and the TERRIBLE enemies scaling you wouldn't like this game. I'm still waiting for a Daggerfall 2. Or a Daggerfall remake. And by the way: FIRE the guy who designed the interface. Also, the guy who approved it. Expand
  33. Nov 12, 2011
    The Professional review sites are officially dead. It's not just a coincidence any more, they are obviously bought and paid for.

This is a really mediocre console port, and not a successor to Elder Scrolls: Morrowind or even Oblivion. The controls are 'horrible'. The interface/inventory/etc., is horrible. The story and voice acting, are really bad, the intro was boring and very linear and quickly care nothing at all about any of the forced, rushed, generic characters. Voice acting is in spots good and in other spots, well, spotty. Exploration feels about the worst ever for an Elder Scrolls game and environments have a really weird scale to them, that makes everything feel squished and steep, like walking up the side of a cliff just feels really weird, like everything is made out of 80 degree angles.

Controls make this game basically un-playable, they ruin combat. Dunno what the developers were thinking, but my guess is that they didn't want to catch all the major BS they would catch if they just stopped making PC games, so they just do this instead. Bad news though, I wouldn't even enjoy this as a console game, the original Morrowind played on the original Xbox was better (I know because that's how I played it through the first time and I pre-ordered that old classic...)
  34. Nov 13, 2011
    The lack of acknowledgement by so many reviewers about how broken this game is for some people only makes the fact that it is unplayable that much more upsetting. Out of the box the game has critical control issues thanks to it's sparkling new consolized engine. The mouse is floaty and awkward feeling and inputs come out late. You can look up a wide variety of fixes and tweaks for theseThe lack of acknowledgement by so many reviewers about how broken this game is for some people only makes the fact that it is unplayable that much more upsetting. Out of the box the game has critical control issues thanks to it's sparkling new consolized engine. The mouse is floaty and awkward feeling and inputs come out late. You can look up a wide variety of fixes and tweaks for these problems, but it MAY NOT ACTUALLY FIX THEM. Nothing online seems to address the fact that the mouse inputs--even the clicks--are not simply delayed. If you do not hold down the button for long enough, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. You can mash right or left click as fast as you can and your character will not swing his or her weapon because you are not holding the button long enough for it to read it. Worse yet, Bethesda offers no support for these things that actually work--their forums are probably being flooded with registration requests and validation emails simply never happen, so you can't even post about your problem and post specs to get support. I feel really angry that I paid $60 at launch expecting something that was actually playable, but I guess that was simply too naive. Expand
  35. Nov 11, 2011
    Save your headaches get the console version. The PC version is a terrible console port and once again requires massive tweaks just to make the game playable. Console version was put and play and looks great. Skip the PC version until developers learn to take their time, make a statement with the one you buy and get the 360 or PS3 version.
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    Didn't give a zero for review cause they still managed to port this game from the 360. I highly like RPG games and been playing Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall but after playing a few hours it doesn't grab me at all like Morrowind or Oblivion. The fights are absurdly easy, doesn't require any skill (another game gone bad due to xbox ports). I liked the graphics in Morrowind more then inDidn't give a zero for review cause they still managed to port this game from the 360. I highly like RPG games and been playing Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall but after playing a few hours it doesn't grab me at all like Morrowind or Oblivion. The fights are absurdly easy, doesn't require any skill (another game gone bad due to xbox ports). I liked the graphics in Morrowind more then in this game. Strolling through the map is one of my favourite things to do in other Elder Scroll games but this game doesn't offer any fun in doing so. Its one big hyped RPG suited for the XBox generation... very sad Expand
  37. Nov 13, 2011
    Simply terrible. This is the worst Elder Scrolls game I've ever played, and I've been playing them for many, many years. I don't know what Bethesda was thinking, but they simply failed miserably on this one, and never again will I give Bethesda MY heard earned money for any game with Bethesda anywhere near it.

First and foremost, the game is unfinished. It should have stayed in

First and foremost, the game is unfinished. It should have stayed in development for another 3-6 months. The UI horrible. The worst ever in a Elder Scrolls game. It's a main in the @** to navigate because it was designed for consoles, and Bethesda was too lazy to fine the UI for the PC version. If my $60 is going to support a company who is too lazy to spend a couple more days to refine the UI for the PC version, then I'll send that $60 elsewhere next time.

Secondly, the combat. They went backwards instead of forwards with the combat. The screen pitches and rolls far too much. It makes me nausea and dizzy, so I started playing from third person view, which is undoubtedly, not properly implemented. It has input lag where the first person view does not, and the animations are laughable. Not to mention, avoid those trolls because they'll send you flying 200 ft in the air with one swing. Good job Bethesda! Don't take that in a positive way, because it's not -- it's meant to be a smart-@** remark telling you good job on screwing this one up after years of anticipation. Not to mention, the map system simply is terrible. Additionally, they should have just left the map out if they weren't going to do any better than this. It's so terrible it's not even usable. It doesn't help with navigation at all, unlike in Oblivion. Then within 30 minutes it the game they make you spend 30-45 minutes trying to find your way through this mountain to get to your next objective. What in the hell was Bethesda thinking if anything? I can see this after playing the game for 4-6 hours, but not as a second step in the main quest within 30-45 minutes of starting the game. Shameful Bethesda, you are now simply terrible.

The ONLY reason I even gave this game a 1 is because of the soundtrack, or it would have simply just gotten a 0. Bethesda, patch this pile of junk you released, redo the UI so it's mouse friendly, fix the lag in the third person view, fix the trolls, revamp the map, because it simply sucks, add more presentation to the game, because as it is it's just a simple mindless quest grind with voice over until you reach the end of the story. There is simply nothing in the game that drives the story forward Go visit BioWare and take some lessons from them -- you can learn a lot from them. Trust me, because you flopped on this game.

$60 I wish I had kept.
  38. Nov 12, 2011
    Many of the mistakes from Oblivion makes it into this game as well. * Big empty world
    * Level scaling which makes leveling up totally pointless. Did they not get the point from the critics after Oblivion?
    * Inventory in most chests are rubbish. I worked my way through a big dungeon and the end chest contained 6 gold!! That is so pathetic! On the pc, many textures look like they are

On the pc, many textures look like they are from a 8 year old game. Skyrim looks VERY dated on the pc.

The whole interface is just wrong for a pc game. It's made for console and do not make use of the advantages of a keyboard and mouse. It even installs and starts with a game controller as the default input device. That really says it all I guess :(

The only thing Bethesda has put even more effort in since Oblivion is the hype they created for Skyrim.
    I like the Fallout games, but Skyrim is a sorry excuse for a new age rpg.

The more I play this game the more it feels just boring and wrong.

Shame on you Bethesda.

The game deserve more than 0, but to compensate for all the misplaced high scores that is what it gets from me.
  39. Nov 12, 2011
    Now now .... where to begin. The controls on the PC are just awful and no remapping(in 2011?) and when i say controls i dont only mean the combat oriented ones but the interface ones too . This is propably due to the fact that Bethesda could not take the time to "smoothen" that console port of a game. Combat is still as awful as it was in Oblivion withconstatly bugging animations and withNow now .... where to begin. The controls on the PC are just awful and no remapping(in 2011?) and when i say controls i dont only mean the combat oriented ones but the interface ones too . This is propably due to the fact that Bethesda could not take the time to "smoothen" that console port of a game. Combat is still as awful as it was in Oblivion withconstatly bugging animations and with no actual feel of the weapon or the incoming hits and ofc as simple skillwise as ever , I bet "shank" which is an action game can produce more moves and with better mouse/keyboard response.
    The graphics and audio are mediocre to say the least which is rather interesting since the elder scrolls series after morrowind used to be well known for their cutting edge video/audio making us tremple thinking the amount of moneuy it will take to witness the awesomeness.
    Even storywise Skyrim falls short to its heritage with detached and boring sidequests blinking lights and everything expressed in "easy" words directed ofc to your average console gamer. To be honest thought i can't really speak for the main plot since im not too far into it yet.
    So conclusion is that this is not a highly anticipated PC RPG game but a rather mediocre console action/rpg that just hapened to be ported to PC because of its heritage. Thank you bethesda for not giving me the heads up and i wasted my money.
  40. Nov 11, 2011
    Thumbs up Bethesda!! once again you released a barely unplayable **** game, leaving it for modders to fix it...
    Well, this game ended up being a terrible console port after all..No surprises. I'm sure most people playing this game don't care. But as a PC gamer, this is unacceptable. The irony that on PC, it's virtually unplayable with a mouse and keyboard... Don't bother getting it if you don't have a 360 controller. The UI was made for controller only. And sadly you will have to go through menus quite a bit. There's some hot-keys and a 'favorites' menu but it really is poor. Combat system is also appalling, we're close to 2012 and Bethesda still hasn't learnt a thing yet. It really feels awkward when swinging your weapon. Your just slashing your way at an enemy, occasionally blocking and pulling back until a random finishing kill pops up. Using magic and weapons during combat is a pain in the neck. You have to un equip your weapon to use spells, and re equip your weapon once your done.
    AI is not that great either to not say worse. There's more actors this time but most of them have boring dialogues and feel they forced. Finally, I haven't played the game enough to comment on the world but so far it feels and looks dull. I'm still laughing how all reviewers seem to give crap games like this a 9.0 - 9.5..
  41. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim promises to be more than what Bethesda games have been in the past, yet still fails and manages to fall flat on its face as one of the biggest flops of the year. The animations are as stiff as ever, the voice actor count is still incredibly low for such a high budget game, and of course the game follows the usual bethesda trend of not only being incomplete without mods - it'sSkyrim promises to be more than what Bethesda games have been in the past, yet still fails and manages to fall flat on its face as one of the biggest flops of the year. The animations are as stiff as ever, the voice actor count is still incredibly low for such a high budget game, and of course the game follows the usual bethesda trend of not only being incomplete without mods - it's incredibly buggy, the gameplay systems are broken and the graphics are horrendous, there are still empty spots for them to fill in later with DLC. Expand
  42. Nov 11, 2011
    More proof that 'professional' game evaluators are clueless console lovers... This SCREAMS console port... Even stinks of it...

Can't change weapons without bringing up your 'favorite' list (can't even assign weapons or spells to 1-5, etc.). Graphics still look really bad... Hair looks like they used 200 cans of gel or spray, cloth doesn't flow... And even AI movements are totally unbelievable. I.E. If you wake the bear in the tutorial part, it stands and spins without moving it's legs. And that's on Ultra settings... I can't say more without being a spoiler of sorts. Anyhow; screenshots can look nice but movement looks awful. And unfortunately, so do far too many textures, areas, etc.

GET OFF THE DECADE OLD TECH AND MAKE A REAL GAME FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Consoles again ruin gaming... Oblivion, with the High-Res texture pack, looks better... And I've had it crash once already just going through the tutorial... Random 'flash to windows'... And this is on a modern (1100T/6970), non-OCed system with all current drivers. So bug-free it isn't. It's not super-bad but... It does crash...

At best, it feels like a new control system for Oblivion or Fallout. At worst, it stinks of console in every way. Still no crouch (really?!?) accept 'sneak'. multifunction select system instead of weapon button assignment (1-5). Even most other console ports can at least get that part right...

I DARE a developer to make a REAL, Modern gaming engine... But they won't, until consoles catch back up; which they won't... so again, PC users get the shaft...
  43. Apr 3, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    A very good open-world free roam game allowing players to switch between 3rd Person as well as First Person. The story really engages you in a story plot that makes you feel like a real role-playing person. With nice visuals and movement, one thing i didn't like was the fact that one is unable to fast-travel without crossing a "certain" area before unlocking the destination for fast-travel. Therefore, a lot of walking is done in the earlier missions.
    For a year 2011 game, this has really done a good job and it is recommended for players who enjoy RPGs. (Role Playing Games)

As for the DLCs, there is currently quite some of it, and well worth the price if you liked the game. But i personally doesn't have that much of a patience to complete the whole game, as well as the time needed.

Lastly, don't forget that not many games have "endless" replay-a-bility after completing it. Skyrim provides at least a few hundred hours worth of gameplay and missions, enough to keep you engaged for a really long time if you are really liking the game of course.

9.5/10
  44. Apr 26, 2015
    The base game of Skyrim is buggy and CTD often, the main story is boring and without mods this game is broken.

If it wasn't for modding this game would have died years ago, and now thanks to paid mods there will be a pay wall for things like GUI fixes that the modding community made. Bethesda takes a 45% cut from all paid mod sales Valve take 30% and the modder gets 25% there is no

pay wall for things like GUI fixes that the modding community made.

Bethesda takes a 45% cut from all paid mod sales Valve take 30% and the modder gets 25% there is no way to get a refund of real money if you buy a mod and it doesn't work you have a 24 hour period in which you can be refunded store credit not real money.

There is also no way to be sure what a mod is like because Steam have locked the forums for these paid mods unless you buy them so they expect you to buy blind.

There is also no way to insure consumer are protected from mods being dropped or patching causing games to break and people buying mods may be left out of pocket with a broken game/save due to bad modding.
  45. Apr 26, 2015
    In what way, shape or form do paid mods (with only 25% of earnings going toward the creator, mind you) help the modding, skyrim or overarching gaming community? Why can't we just donate? Why do Valve and Bethesda get a 75 PERCENT CUT from content they didn't even create, promote, endorse, support, etc? This is an unforgivable move. Forget Valve, forget Bethesda, forget Steam.
  46. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim is a fantastic game, well worth Steam's full price.

Skyrim is a fantastic game, well worth Steam's full price.

That being said, however, I would not advise anyone to buy this game. Recently, Valve decided to implement a broken system in which users can charge for their mods on the workshop. This has led to extensive copyright infringement, the stifling of creativity, loss of quality control, and greed. Overall, it has divided the once thriving and friendly modding community in two, and I would advise anyone to not give Valve your money for this game until they undo the broken system they've put in and replace it with a donation button.

Valve has done this, they claim, so "players can give back to modders for their work", however the fact that only 25% of the profits goes to modders reveals the true nature of Valve's intent; a money ploy for themselves and Bethesda, in which they recieve 75% of the profits for something they had no involvement in. Furthermore, many steam users posting their thoughts on the forums have been suspended for a week or more from steam, their comments taken down.

Skyrim is a great game, made even greater by the mods that the generous community has put out for years. It's really too bad it had to come to this...

This review will be taken down once Valve announces that paid modding will be no more.
  47. Apr 26, 2015
    The main argument for buying Skyrim on PC has never been its gameplay, nor its story, graphics or soundtrack, but the sheer amount of ever-improving content produced every day by a passionate fanbase. In fact, 90% of the time I sunk into this game was spent with over a hundred mods enabled, many of which undoubtedly deserve donations for the high-quality of their content. This is whyThe main argument for buying Skyrim on PC has never been its gameplay, nor its story, graphics or soundtrack, but the sheer amount of ever-improving content produced every day by a passionate fanbase. In fact, 90% of the time I sunk into this game was spent with over a hundred mods enabled, many of which undoubtedly deserve donations for the high-quality of their content. This is why Bethesda games still sell for so long after their initial release.

And yet, Bethesda and Valve have now chosen to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. With Skyrim's new paid mods system, the former takes the lion's share of the modder's profits, while the latter enables them to do so, and don't expect to get any quality control from either. Worse, this paywall will tear the modding community apart, starting with Nexus. This is a dark day for PC gaming.

Until Bethesda and Valve cease their unhealthy business practices, I cannot recommend TESV : Skyrim anymore.

By the way, don't even think of playing Fallout 4 with 100+ mods enabled as you might have with previous Bethesda games, unless you're an oil magnate.
  48. Apr 26, 2015
    Without mods this game would be a 6 or 7.
    With mods this game is a 10/10
    but, With paid mods that are shattering a once great community it's a 0/10
  49. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods will destroy the pillar of PC gaming, this needs to stop. this will not only hinder this amazing game but every single gamer as a whole do not let this happen or approve this practice. No to paid mods.
  50. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid Mods? How much milking are these companies going to do on consumers? Gabe has always talked about how Valve has been "growing exponentially every year" or how he's "so open to communities interacting and sharing ideas/mods." For the former I ask, if Valve has been growing every year, then why would they feel the need to have paid mods that they take a 75% CUT from? For the latter,Paid Mods? How much milking are these companies going to do on consumers? Gabe has always talked about how Valve has been "growing exponentially every year" or how he's "so open to communities interacting and sharing ideas/mods." For the former I ask, if Valve has been growing every year, then why would they feel the need to have paid mods that they take a 75% CUT from? For the latter, if Valve/Beth are open to people modding their games, then why are they dividing the community by having paid mods? Expand
  51. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods are the most toxic thing to the gaming community and mods are what made Skyrim, without them the game would be mediocre at best. Likely Bethesda/ZeniMax making up for their epic eso failure, greedy basturds!
  52. Apr 26, 2015
    Designed to bleed as much money as possible. Best selling Bethesda title of all time, primarily thanks to modders. Wants to take profits from their work because they screwed up TESO: makes Skyrim a money making scheme off of other people's work. Game is ruined, stay clear.
  53. Apr 26, 2015
    The developers are ruining the community by allowing paid mods. There is no quality control with these mods, and the mod creators get 25% of the cost they charge.
  54. Apr 26, 2015
    I am giving this game a very low score due to the recent announcement of paid mods.

how wonderful! That way when a paid mod (DLC) breaks valve/bethesda can just put their hands up and direct your anger back at some poor modder. All while they take a 75% cut.

disliked, thumbs down, unsubscribed
  55. YML
    Apr 26, 2015
    One of the best games of all time...until Bethesda decided to turn free, user-made mods into money-making DLCs, only without the quality control of actual DLCs.
  56. Apr 26, 2015
    I used to love this game then i got an Paid Mod arrow in my knee.

Then they walked over my body and said "Modders who worked on their ass to received 25% of the profit while we didn't do sh*t and finally laugh all the way to the bank with the rest of the profit".
  57. Apr 26, 2015
    The game before paid-for mods 8/10

The game without mods 6/10

The game now 1/10

When paid-for mods are removed it will again deserve an 8/10 rating. And since this review must be 150 characters long I will just write about how it must be 150 characters long until it is so I can post it. Is it still not 150 characters long
  58. Apr 26, 2015
    The game is pretty good. Expansive story and large amounts of content with meh graphics and a several glitches and bugs. Mods make it the single biggest, best looking, most immersive game on the planet.

I'd rate it 6 or 7 standalone. 10 with mods. 0 with paid mods. A paid marketplace was instituted by Valve, which is, as Forbes described it, "a legal, moral, and ethical disaster." Mods made the game. Valve has unmade mods.
  59. Apr 26, 2015
    Elder Scrolls is a game series made great by the modding community. With the shift to paid mods, the community will suffer as a whole, as well as the game.

Four days ago, I would have given this game a solid 9. Now, I'm giving it a 0 because my enjoyment of the game was based heavily on the mods I used and because I do not condone the greediness of Bethesda and Valve.
  60. Apr 26, 2015
    The replayability of Bethesda games is legendary.. because of mods. This "modability" of their games have given them the best free(!) advertising any company could ever dream of. It's utterly disgusting that they try to get even more money from the people who GAVE them this exquisite form of advertisement in the first place.

NOT RECOMMENDED
  61. Apr 26, 2015
    Don't pay for mods. Don't give Valve, or Bethesda, money for content they did not create. The entire notion of this system is shameful, disgusting, and insulting to the community that helped bring their mediocre franchise up to a legendary series.
  62. Apr 26, 2015
    Vanilla-Skyrim: 6/10 (compared to other RPGs Skyrim is disgrace to the RPG-Genre)
    Modded-Skyrim: 12+/10
    Skyrim with paywalled Mods: seriously? Not that I don't endorse modders, but why should Bethesda get paid for other people's work? Why should I pay for mods, where I have no guarantee that it'll work even with other current or future mods? Why can't I just donate to the modders
    Modded-Skyrim: 12+/10
    Skyrim with paywalled Mods: seriously?

Why can't I just donate to the modders directly if I'm satisfied with their work?
    Why do they even call it "mods"? These are obviously 3rd party DLCs.
  63. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods took one of the best open world games I have ever experienced a 10/10 in my opinion to a 1/10. Good Luck winning the community back Bethesda, you just shot yourself in the foot with the PC community.
  64. Apr 26, 2015
    What a great game, until paid mods completely ruined it. What were you all thinking? This game is a great example of an excellent game ruined by greed.
  65. Apr 26, 2015
    The game is awful without mods. Mods are going to be behind a pay wall. 0/10

Boycott $team Work$hop. Don't support bad business practices. Don't give Bethesda or Valve your money.
  66. Apr 26, 2015
    Fantasic game, what with all the free mods that you can get. It would be a crappy game if, I don't know, you had to pay $2.99 for each of the 50 mods you want to use.
  67. Apr 26, 2015
    I sure do love all this third party DLC! Yessiree, paid mods was a FANTASTIC IDEA! If you want to play this game I'd recommend you get it from Kickass.to or something. Don't give Bethesda or Valve any money, the retards don't deserve it.
  68. Apr 26, 2015
    I fell in love with Oblivion, the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood were what fueled this love. Coming into Skyrim I had high hopes for it and I was hugely let down. I no longer felt like I was part of a family or even drawn the to characters and this was such a letdown to me.
    The mods for this game are what kept my interest in the series, and with the introduction of paid mods I have just completely lost my respect for the game once again.
  69. Apr 26, 2015
    Paying for mods.

fuggin character limit REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  70. Apr 26, 2015
    This game is great, paid mods aren't. The vanilla game is nothing without the mods. If you do not believe this, try the vanilla game for a while. Then check out the YouTube mod channels and get a glimpse of what you are missing. It is also fair to say that the top paid-for mods are a joke. The majority are cut/pasted from someone else, or they break immersion with horrible bugs, or lookThis game is great, paid mods aren't. The vanilla game is nothing without the mods. If you do not believe this, try the vanilla game for a while. Then check out the YouTube mod channels and get a glimpse of what you are missing. It is also fair to say that the top paid-for mods are a joke. The majority are cut/pasted from someone else, or they break immersion with horrible bugs, or look like they were made with the tool kit in half an hr. Will bump to 10/10 if they get rid of paid mods. Expand
  71. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods...without mods this game just does not hold up. It is not where near as good as oblivion or morrowind. Thanks valve...for screwing this up.,
  72. Apr 26, 2015
    This game enjoyed years of success because of a highly motivated and creative modding community, unbound by an incentive to create for cash. Now, Bethesda decides it's alright to sell mods on Steam, with mod authors receiving only 25% from their labor.

Greed is bad. Stabbing a community renowned for their support of the game and its post-release success even after many years is even worse.

0/10 for a game that 'used' to be cool
  73. Apr 26, 2015
    Valve and Bethesda say they are supporting modders on steam by allowing people to put a price on mods when actually they're leeching off them. mods on nexus are being taken down and put on steam severely reducing the modding community. 0/10
  74. Apr 27, 2015
    Skyrim is a fun game, but to get the best experience, you need to install a bunch of mods. These mods are made by hobbyists, who want to do something good for the community, in an environment of mutual co-operation, honest criticism, and an urge to try new things. It's pretty much the last safe haven from the cynical strategies of manufactured blockbusters and DLC.

Now this fine

Now this fine tradition is under attack from corporate fat cats who want to earn a slice of the pie for doing nothing. It amounts to the routine exploitation of hobbyists. This isn't just a bad business move, though; it hurts the game. Already, we have seen free versions of mods incorporate nags to upgrade to the paid verison. We've seen modders take their work off the Nexus because frauds are stealing their work and uploading it for a fee on the Workshop. We've also seen free mods taken down and uploaded exclusive to the Workshop, hidden behind a paywall. I'm not sure how anyone could sustain the argument that this will result in a better product, or that it doesn't affect everyone adversely.

Perhaps most disturbingly, the move incentivises publishers to coerce develoepers into releasing a faulty or incomplete game, because they stand to benefit from the content and fixes that the community will surely provide. They might as well lay off some of their staff as well, because they have a plentiful source of cheap labour in hobbyists.

Don't listen to the lies of those who advocate paid mods. Tell a friend about the disturbing precedent that was set last week by Valve and Bethesda. Free the mods!
  75. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim is a mediocre fantasy hack-and-slash with boring Fedex quests, unmemorable NPCs, shallow combat mechanics, ok graphics, terrible UI, and the list goes on. Despite its flaws, it sold millions and continues to be popular thanks to the wonderful modding community. But money grubbing Bethesda and Valve aren't satisfied until they milk their fanbase dry. They monetize mods under theSkyrim is a mediocre fantasy hack-and-slash with boring Fedex quests, unmemorable NPCs, shallow combat mechanics, ok graphics, terrible UI, and the list goes on. Despite its flaws, it sold millions and continues to be popular thanks to the wonderful modding community. But money grubbing Bethesda and Valve aren't satisfied until they milk their fanbase dry. They monetize mods under the guise of supporting modders, while taking 75% of the profits for doing absolutely nothing. This system is shameful, manipulative and benefits only the corporations, not the gamers or modders. Say no to paid mods! Expand
  76. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mod is the really bad idea. this completely destroy free mod community. i think donation button for supporting modder is a good method. Sorry for my English.
  77. Apr 27, 2015
    Hiding user created content behind a pay-wall is absolutely disgusting behavior. Bethesda is a greedy company that wants to suck the life force out of the vibrant modding community. Do not buy this game, even if it's free.
  78. Apr 27, 2015
    Two words : Paid Mods . Enough said. Now you might ask Why such a big fuss about mods ? Well , you see , mods are a quintesential part to gaming in general both keeping games alive for many many years and providing a third party support source when the developers fail. This modding community has existed for ages and had no problem doing this for free (and they still don't have any problemTwo words : Paid Mods . Enough said. Now you might ask Why such a big fuss about mods ? Well , you see , mods are a quintesential part to gaming in general both keeping games alive for many many years and providing a third party support source when the developers fail. This modding community has existed for ages and had no problem doing this for free (and they still don't have any problem with it). But alas , corporations like Bethesda/Zenimax and Valve are greedy and want to destroy a pillar of the gaming culture yet again . First were the dlcs now , unless we do something , there will be paid mods. Expand
  79. Apr 27, 2015
    hiding mods behind paywall is disgraceful. Its a scam and they all need to feel internet hate machine back in action. If you want to reward modders donate. no shekels for bethesda
  80. Apr 27, 2015
    Paid mods with only 25% of the money going to the creator?

As a bonus most of the mods aren't even worth the cost anyway.

Needs to be replaced with an entirely option donate button not this promised 'pay what you want' nonsense.
  81. Apr 27, 2015
    Paid mods. Terrible. There's not a consumerbase on earth who should have to put up with this kind of blatant price-gouging anti-consumer practices. Ever.
  82. Apr 27, 2015
    Game was OK at best vanilla, but full of bugs. The only way to fix bugs and make the game enjoyable was to add mods, which now the developer feels we should pay for, To fix their shortcomings, Its a joke really.
  83. Apr 27, 2015
    This game without mods - 4/10
    This game with mods - 10/10
    This game with paid mods - 0/10

Congratulations for destroying the biggest modding community in the world in one day, Valve.
  84. Apr 27, 2015
    This game would have been long forgotten if it weren't for the faithful modding community.

Creating paid mods not only destroys the spirit of the community, but also destroys the one truly good reason to play this game.

This blatantly shameless money grab has not gone unnoticed and unfortunately, causes me to give a game with great potential a pass.
  85. Jan 27, 2014
    Terribly disappointing. When will we stop rewarding Bethesda for these incredibly low-quality games? It's like watching a production of Shakespeare where the actors and crew are drunk - the story may be compelling and the backdrop spectacular, but the entire performance is doomed to failure. From the interface to the voice acting to the animations, this game is sub-par. For God's sakeTerribly disappointing. When will we stop rewarding Bethesda for these incredibly low-quality games? It's like watching a production of Shakespeare where the actors and crew are drunk - the story may be compelling and the backdrop spectacular, but the entire performance is doomed to failure. From the interface to the voice acting to the animations, this game is sub-par. For God's sake Bethesda, get a better QA department! Expand
  86. Apr 27, 2015
    Paid mods are bad for consumers for games for mod comunity. Until retracted bad rewiev will stay intact. Dont bow down to this new form of DLC. Have some decency
  87. Apr 27, 2015
    Free the mods. **** you. RIP modding. I will avoid Valve and Bethesda in the future and i will never spend any money on a mod. Greedy ****s. Cant spell ValvEA without EA
  88. Apr 27, 2015
    Skyrim - 0/10
    Gabe - 0/10
    Bethesda/Zenimax - 0/10

I can see what they were trying but blimey, could they have got it any more wrong?

This all needs to die.
  89. Apr 27, 2015
    Game was mediocre in every aspect and its only saving grace was modding. Now with Valve being greedy merchants, there's nothing redeeming qualities to this game. It's even worse on console as well solely because of the fact that they're limited machines made to be worse than PCs.
  90. Apr 27, 2015
    WIthout mods this game is boring, bugged and blurred. That's why you need at very least 50+ mods to even start enjoying this game - and now you need to pay for mods.
  91. Apr 27, 2015
    7/10 for the game. It's about as an RPG it's about as deep as a puddle of muddy water, but with mods?
    10/10 for the game with mods. Skyrim is a testament to how much the modding community can improve a game. Of course having to pay for mods means this is a 0/10. Enough is enough.
  92. Apr 27, 2015
    This game is pretty good without mods. It still holds up as a solid 6/10. With the right mods, it's right up to a 9.8/10. Basically perfect. With paid mods, I'd give it a 4/10 just for the money grabbing on the part of Valve and Bethesda.
  93. Apr 27, 2015
    Mods brought a vast game to life. Between the split of the money, and the sudden massive split in the community, this was one of the worst ideas I've seen executed.
  94. Nov 18, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls series is like The Matrix, started off strong, then went into a decline into bad. Arena? Awesome. Daggerfall? Amazing. Morrowind? One of the best games ever made. Oblivion? Okay. Skyrim? BAD. No more rpg for us! No more Classes, no more guilds that effect the world's opinion of you if you join. No more Worth while quests! No more meaning full characters! No more meaningThe Elder Scrolls series is like The Matrix, started off strong, then went into a decline into bad. Arena? Awesome. Daggerfall? Amazing. Morrowind? One of the best games ever made. Oblivion? Okay. Skyrim? BAD. No more rpg for us! No more Classes, no more guilds that effect the world's opinion of you if you join. No more Worth while quests! No more meaning full characters! No more meaning full ANYTHING! It isn't all bad, but most of it is. I feel like they reused the same voice actor for each race, Nords all sound the same, all Khajjit sound the same! I feel like when I open this game bugs will crawl out because that is what this game is full of. Falling through ground, crashes, freezes, sound issues, FPS issues, AI issues, this game is full of it. Example:
    There are these things called dragon priest masks, one of them is the 'wooden mask' this is essential to getting the main mask which will make you character amazing. Well you wanna know what? My wooden mask fell through the ground and now I can't get it! I can't get the awesome mask, great.
    Is there meaning full choices throughout this game? NOPE! The only choice you get is "StormCloaks or Empire" which you want? This doesn't affect the world if you choose one and do all of the quests for them! This game tries to give the illusion that it has choices but it has none! Do you remember the rock hard difficulty of the first three games? That is gone! The highest setting is 'Legendary' but this makes you die in two hit, and your enemy die in a million! The thing that made this first three hard was that it was fair! The menus in this game are unfriendly. The story sucks, never do you feel emotion, like in say Mass Effect, or feel like your talking to real people, like in say Deus Ex. The boss battles in this game are a joke! Just have a healing spell in one hand and a sword in the other. I do like this kind of but this doesn't hinder your combat any, just you can't block. Think if you had a spell in one hand you fighting ability would decrease, that would be awesome. What do I like of this game? It is fun to steal things, and kill a bunch of people in town. But this is something I didn't like, you can't kill story characters... Because of a AI engine that has people doing their daily routine. Oblivion had the same thing but I think that in Oblivion you could kill story characters after the story.
    I don't like this game, it is a sad disgrace to man kind. It isn't good, not even okay. It may not be the worst game of 2011 but it is one of the worst.
    Don't buy this game, please. Like I said it isn't the worst thing ever but it still sucks. It is below below average (Below average being Four), so it is bad. Nowhere near something like Daikatana or Ghost Busters for nes but it still sucks.

I will leave it at that.
  95. Dec 20, 2013
    I totally don't get this game, it is way over hyped. The graphics are not brilliant, the game play it pretty weak,, the fight scenes are less than desirable. Unless I am missing something, this is no more than a cult game. Sub standard!!!
  96. Jun 24, 2014
    I should say that I really have enjoyed it a lot at first. I loved all the choice I could make and blah blah blah... then I realized that combat balance was so poor that even the best and most well known balancing overhaul mod could not fix it.
    The main story line is way too short, too. Civil war was boring series of small battles that were not even epic at all. It is more epic to fight a giant on low level and steel set without spamming potions. In addition no matter what you do, the side you chose will win the war. You can't even low the battle. So you just start a siege and hide. Dovahkiin's power is not necessary to win the war. besides, Alduin was sooooooo weak while he was the last and the supposed to be most vicious end boss from your very nightmare. Even the main theme is about the Dovahkiin save the world from Alduin, the world eater! World eater my ass. I literally ATE him! With a mod, yes, he can be a true nightmare but still... his pattern is same as any dragon flying around Skyrim. I saved the battle with Alduin for the last and shouting "For the Nords!" at the beginning of the fight. Then I was so disappointed that I started rampage on Sovngarde for those 'heroes' who couldn't do anything about that weakling.
    Final and the worst aspect of the game is bug. Seriously, in my first playthrough, when I only had appearance mod (face, hair, body for player character) for the sake of enjoying original game play, I had rare and critical bugs that made me impossible to follow main story lines. I had to create my own solution with console to proceed. For the heavy mod users.. I can't say much since mods that involving scripts and so forth have higher chance to cause bugs.
    Graphics...that was same as Mass Effect 1. It was not really that good but still ok. Basic modelings were ugly as hell but ok. PC version can offer them free plastic surgery with appearance mods.
    Most these negative aspect of the games can be fixed with mod for some extend. Mods, however, can cause bugs since scripts in the game was already unstable as hell.
    Of course I recognize it as very successful game but still I don't understand why it was so popular and console version was sold more than PC version. I don't think the game is a junk. Developers were just lazy. Even though they had intention to give some space for mods they neglected their responsibility to build a good and reasonable length of storytelling and corresponding game play. The game story involves series of unavoidable battles. The civil war cannot be negotiated through the talking, Alduin? He will eat you if you try to talk to him. Most of players agree that civil war story is boring. What they should have done is that making a 'real' epic main story line with a good balance.
    Then what the developers did? they didn't even care about game balance. AI were poor. Melee attackers charge at you blindfolded, NPCs can't see you under the sun when you crouch if you have high sneak level. Sneaking? Child play. You can sneak while wearing heavy armors making loud clinging sound. Sneak level is everything. You shot a arrow while sneak? An NPC gets a headshot but thinks it was not an attack but his mind playing with him. Monster's strength does not correspond with the story. Dragons can be easily beaten by guards. Mammoth and giants are much more stronger than dragons. Dragons always lose in 1:1 fight with them. Then why there was a specialized dragon hunter group, the Blades? I guess the Blades started in paleolithic period. Then still Dragon set is second most powerful in the game. what...? I don't think it can even protect the user from iron arrows. Magic is not balanced either. Magician enemies will make a barbecue out of you but your fireball is like a firefly to your enemy later in the game. Pure magicians will have some hard time in the later game. Skill perks are not efficient and too simple. What's the point of lockpicking? I can pick master locks with 10 lockpicks. If I get lucky, I can do that with only 3 lockpicks. Speech? You don't need to get a discount with speech perks. Gold is the last problem in this game. There is overpower trinity, though. Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing. With all three you can be a heavy armored magician wielding most powerfully enchanted weapons with a potion addiction. Daedric items.. some of them are useless. Only few Daedric Lords will give you something useful items. Don't worry there is no penalty, either. It's just have unique look and names that's all.
    It seems like the developers rather rely on CK tool and those 'free' offering mods to fix their own problem! In addition mods can cause problems. It is not official add-ons or DLCs so it is less stable in average. What happened to those many big epic balancing mods? many of them ended with introducing bugs to the game play, or no longer be supported.
    In conclusion it was a game that couldn't reach it's full potential.
  97. Jun 26, 2014
    In a word? Overrated. They really messed up the major point of even playing an Elder Scrolls game - the story. Not just the main quest, but all of the side quests and especially the guilds. It is fun, but inferior to Oblivion and Morrowind and not a good sign of to-be Elder Scrolls games.
  98. Apr 27, 2015
    why yes of COURSE id like to pay you money for things that you didnt make thats how capitalism rworks right? give me a break you money-grubbing narcissists.
  99. Apr 27, 2015
    Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods. Paid mods.
  100. Apr 27, 2015
    absolutely hereteical paid mods lmoa are you freaking kidding i mean what's next are tjhey gonna charge you for posting about it on forums? get rekt, bethesda and valve

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012