8.4

1. Nov 23, 2011
    TLDR: Skyrim > Oblivion, buy it, play it, quicksave. Awesome.
    I'm just gonna put it out there. Skyim is awesome. As for why, well, that's a much longer statement.
    This game does not need my praise as it's gotten overwhelming support from game critics and the community, but I'm gonna put my own two cents out there anyway. To be upfront, I did not like Oblivion. Something about how that game
    TLDR: Skyrim > Oblivion, buy it, play it, quicksave. Awesome.
    To be upfront, I did not like Oblivion. Something about how that game began, the lack of direction, the clunkiness of the combat and the bugginess of the game engine put me off three separate times.
    Skyrim fixes a lot of those issues. I feel the start of the game is stronger than Oblivion's (if you remove Sir Patrick Stewart from the equation)., in that it remains fast-moving and gives you a good primer on many of the systems (although some more explanation about magic and the favorites system would be nice). I found the town of Riverwood much more inviting than the monstrosity that is the Imperial City. My own personal preference of course. Some people complain about the compass and the plot arrows, but I think they're a great addition from the Fallout series of games. They may make things a bit easier, but they just add to the wanderlust you get going through the immense world of Skyrim. Also, I don't know about other people, but I don't like to get lost, so having a convenient plot arrow is a bonus in my book.
    To be honest... I can't really tell you what's different about Skyrim's combat from Oblivion's. It's still swinging a sword, backpedaling and blocking every now and then. Maybe the animations are smoother, or the timing is looser (or maybe it's just those awesome kill animations...), but I really do enjoy the combat in Skyrim. Not the game's strongest suit, but when has that ever been Bethesda's strong point? And it's definitely not a weak point in this game.
    I am proud to say that Skyrim has only crashed on me once during my 60-odd hours of gameplay (apparently it didn't like a chest I looted). A massive improvement over Oblivion's constant instability. I can't speak to the graphical improvements, as I have it turned all the way down to the ass-end of the spectrum because my laptop is, well, a laptop. But the environment design is more varied than you'd expect from a winter-y continent and some of the dungeon designs are just flat out awesome.
    I feel like I don't need to speak too much about the story, other than it's pretty sweet. Bethesda remains strong in this respect and every side quest is given just enough attention to make you feel like you're not doing yet another side quest for yet another sum of gold and XP. Speaking of XP, the leveling system. Oblivion's leveling system was... weird. The scaling brought all sorts of craziness to your character's performance, which put off a lot of people, including me. Skyrim simplifies the leveling system a bit further than an RPG-geek like myself would have wanted, but I feel like I still have a good amount of control over the direction of where my character goes (except for leveling Restoration to 40 to get that damned perk...). Everything in it is fairly intuitive and almost every time you level up, I feel like you get a tangible benefit.
    Oh, right, one more thing. The interface. It's obviously been designed from a console perspective, which would normally annoy me, but that also means almost every menu can be navigated through WASD and E, which I personally find a helluva lot more accurate than using a mouse pointer. Favorites are an interesting idea, if a bit hard to get used to. Reading the manual helps. Scrolling through items gets tedious at times, but something akin to that issue probably would remain regardless of the interface. The one complaint I do have (and this is horribly nitpicky) is that you should be able to select OK with E and not the mouse. Consistency, people.
    All in all, again, Skyrim is awesome. It's the best game Bethesda's put out so far, and despite its few flaws, it remains an immensely enjoyable experience all the way through. (Just keep quicksaving!)
  2. Nov 24, 2011
    Metacritic users who rate this game below a 5 can suck it, because Skyrim delivers in every possible way for those of you who want to immerse yourself in a fantasy world. Buy it, you will have spent your money as wisely as possible this holiday season.
  3. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is one of the best i have ever played. Even if it has some bugs, it is an incredible game, probably one of the best I ever played. A game filled with content and missions that do not feel frustrating and repetitive, but fun and exciting. This is probably the best RPG i have yet played. Don't be discouraged to buy this game because of the bugs, they hardly stop you from enjoyingThis game is one of the best i have ever played. Even if it has some bugs, it is an incredible game, probably one of the best I ever played. A game filled with content and missions that do not feel frustrating and repetitive, but fun and exciting. This is probably the best RPG i have yet played. Don't be discouraged to buy this game because of the bugs, they hardly stop you from enjoying this masterpiece. Expand
  4. Nov 27, 2011
    This is a very worthy next installment in the elder scrolls. The graphics are good, the gameplay is fluid, the lore is outstanding. Having started the series at morrowind it has been interesting to see the lore develop through out the series and I really like how you can hear/talk to people about the other lands that you have previosly visited and sometimes they even talk about actions ofThis is a very worthy next installment in the elder scrolls. The graphics are good, the gameplay is fluid, the lore is outstanding. Having started the series at morrowind it has been interesting to see the lore develop through out the series and I really like how you can hear/talk to people about the other lands that you have previosly visited and sometimes they even talk about actions of your previous character. (ex hearing of an eruption on red mountain that caused alot of elves to relocate to skyrim). They have improved the gamplay alot, the fighting is outstanding but one of my favorite additions was the ability to buy and upgraid a house, particularly the weapon racks and mounts that were added. I think its cool to be able to put my old sword up on the wall, or to have my favorite set on a rack for easy taking whenever I want. The only part I was a little disappointed in is the dark brotherhood quest line seemed a little short and was too easy. My character was very not stealthy and I had no problem completing the quests w/ no bounties or killing necessary people where as in oblivion that was impossible in many missions and overall the oblivion quests were more exciting (for the dark brotherhood). There is an abundance of quests, its really crazy the amount they put into this. I also think the dewmer ruins in this game are far more interesting to explore than in the other titles. Crafting is also a very big upgrade. I LOVE the redesigned armor, oblivions armor was rather ugly in my opinion and even possessing daedric armor didnt excite me as much where as in this game almost all the armor looks great. Another downfall for me is some of the characters use the same voice (one in particular is very distinct and able to be heard from few characters) The world is very large and full of places to explore, iv played for over 80 hrs and im not near finished. I cant wait for the DLC to come out... Also to Therealjonah who was the top negative rater when I posted this I just loled at him. I read down to the part where he said some thing like "when the first morrowind came out..." what a moron morrowind is the Eldar scroll III, thats some "experience". To add to that he wants morrowind with better graphics, anyone with the PC version of morrowind has access to all the mods made to the game MANY of which re-do much of the visuals to make them look much better and add variety I suggest trying them out. To someone else "This game is really broken on PC, it's unbelievable that reviewers do not take into account whether developers put in any effort on the version (PC) of the game that they are rating" wouldnt know I bought it on the 360, why would anyone who has it on a console take into consideration how it runs on the PC? Thats the dumbest expectation from people iv ever heard... I own morrowind and oblivion on console and PC, do prefer PC but went with console for this one until it goes on sale on steam or something but why would I think that the majority of people who will own it once on a console car about the PC? Anyway Overall this game is great, a vast improvement in the series and I will enjoy playing it until the next installment comes out, hopefully the gap wont be as large as the last one! 10/10 Expand
  5. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is amazing, if you are even remotely interested in RPG's then you should give this game a try. Be aware that you will lose your friends, your job, your girlfriend and not even realise that it has been a week, and your mum has been force-feeding you soup while you have been passed out at your keyboard for a few hours.

Full review at

Full review at http://infinityfeed.blogspot.com/2011/11/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review.html
  6. Nov 28, 2011
    The most impressive thing is the game hardly ever crashes like Bethesda's previous titles. Summary: Its good, enough said or it will all be spoilers.
  7. Nov 29, 2011
    I've been a hardcore gaming for the last 30 years and this game sets the bar for fantasy RPG for the last few years. The game play is excellent, graphics on ultra settings are unmatched for this genre, character development is extremely complex and allows for unique class creation based on desired playing style. I have hit level 30 and barely touched the main quest line which shows thatI've been a hardcore gaming for the last 30 years and this game sets the bar for fantasy RPG for the last few years. The game play is excellent, graphics on ultra settings are unmatched for this genre, character development is extremely complex and allows for unique class creation based on desired playing style. I have hit level 30 and barely touched the main quest line which shows that the side quest variety and availability feels almost endless. Mark my words this game will be the best of the year hands down. The visceral experience of hearing a dragon approach while hiking a mountain peak and then the ensuing epic battle is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences to date. None of the bad reviews I've read offer anything truly constructive (many don't even seem to have played the same game I am) and the majority of graphics critiques seem insane as on Ultra Settings it looks better than anything else I'm playing right now on PC. As many others have said I will be surprised if it doesn't win game of the year. Expand
  8. Nov 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever made - I've played now over 80h and it got better and better :-)
    If you can buy ony one game for this year - Buy Skyrim.

BTW: This is one of the very rare games in last time that comes with Mod Support/SDK. If the Moddingscene is active as they was by skyrim you can have fun forever with this game.
  9. Dec 2, 2011
    Bugs? Sure but i still love this game. Big Mammoths, Giants are the best (Dragons are weak). Love the gameplay, love the graphics. Overall great game. A must buy for everyone!!
  10. Dec 2, 2011
    I couldn't play too much with the Oblivion but I was curious about this piece so I bought it and fortunately I didn't have to disappoint. I think one of the best offline RPGs today.
  11. Dec 4, 2011
    after a week of playing TES 5:Skyrim, I can say that the game is another masterpiece from Bethesda Studios like Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
    While playing the game you really get attached to the story that your doing and there are quests all over the kingdom of Skyrim to do.
    The controls are good (of course), music is perfect, combat mode has its problems but nothing you can't stand to play.
    The only problem with the game for me is that you cannot kill the guys important to the story (the guys that give you missions to do and etc...)
    But after all the game is a pretty good, if still haven't go to a store near you and buy it.
  12. Dec 25, 2011
    A pretty decent game, ruined by level and item scaling. Had I reviewed this game when I first started playing, it would be a solid 8 out of 10. While the quests and writing all seemed rather lazy, adventuring and crafting was keeping me really entertained. However, because of item and level scaling, all of the dungeons start to feel the same. Even some treasure equivalent to Fallout 3'sA pretty decent game, ruined by level and item scaling. Had I reviewed this game when I first started playing, it would be a solid 8 out of 10. While the quests and writing all seemed rather lazy, adventuring and crafting was keeping me really entertained. However, because of item and level scaling, all of the dungeons start to feel the same. Even some treasure equivalent to Fallout 3's bobble heads would have made it worth exploring but when every dungeon is full of the same enemies and weapons, the game quickly loses its flare. While most complaints can be fixed by mods, I cannot count that as part of the rating. Expand
  13. Dec 26, 2011
    Oh, where to begin... Well, I'm a long-standing Elder Scrolls fan, who fell absolutely in love with Morrowind, and spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on Oblivion,also. I found both games had amazing replay value, for me at least, and I know neither of those games met some criteria for some people, but most of those were fans of other genres. If you like fantasy/RPG games, you playOh, where to begin... Well, I'm a long-standing Elder Scrolls fan, who fell absolutely in love with Morrowind, and spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on Oblivion,also. I found both games had amazing replay value, for me at least, and I know neither of those games met some criteria for some people, but most of those were fans of other genres. If you like fantasy/RPG games, you play fantasy/RPG games, right? Well, simply put, with all of the attention Skyrim was getting, I was expecting it to be absolutely amazing. Full of lore, adventure, replay value, sophisticated puzzles, warring factions in which you chose a side, but no. Sadly, they decided to make it one faction warring with another unplayable one, that you can join, play through to the end, and gave absolutely no choice in what you did. To say the least, I was disappointed. Now, that is forgivable, especially since Oblivion was the same, but that was still a great game, right? Ah, well... I played through, did most of the main quest lines, and then... became very bored. Who wants to do dungeons you've seen a thousand times before? It gets quite boring, I assure you. And that's actually all there is to do. Sure there's side quests, but they almost always involve going through dungeons. Even the Daedric Shrine quests follow that pattern, in general. The puzzles are meek, the game is almost entirely hack and slash, which is good in some games, but in those games you generally have a specific skill set for whatever class you have, and in this, if you're any form of melee, it's the same thing over and over again. A child could play this game quite easily. Oh, and the game-breaking bugs... I won't bore you with the details, but I've had to restart three times now. I'm sure there's plenty of people complaining about that. Basically, my main annoyance is the lack of replay value. It's slim to none. Once you've done the quest lines, you're through. I'm disappointed in this game, mostly for not living up to it's predecessors. Hopefully next time they'll revive the Elder Scrolls for what it was originally. Expand
  14. Dec 30, 2011
    Gameplay is fun but broken as **** with multiple ways of exploiting it o become a god, such as free-casting, alchemy-enhanced smithing, stun/paralysis locking, ect.

Storywise it is alright but lacking when compared to Oblivion or Morrowind.
  15. Jan 6, 2012
    Skyrim was fun until I realized my side quest accomplishment of becoming the world's greatest wizard no longer mattered as soon as I step foot inside the thief's guild. Once again, I was just a grunt. The lack of side-quest persistence throughout the game, and its lack of impact on the main story, breaks much of the immersion built early on. Besides that, this game earns its title as theSkyrim was fun until I realized my side quest accomplishment of becoming the world's greatest wizard no longer mattered as soon as I step foot inside the thief's guild. Once again, I was just a grunt. The lack of side-quest persistence throughout the game, and its lack of impact on the main story, breaks much of the immersion built early on. Besides that, this game earns its title as the true successor to Morrowind. The combat is lively and exciting, adding depth to the already impressive dragon shout system that elevates you to a whole new pedestal of awesomeness. The game could do with more meaningful secrets to discover, but the content that is there is sure to leave you breathless for weeks, if not months, on end. Get this game, enjoy it. Expand
  16. Aug 18, 2012
    After lots of hours in game, i've changed my mind and gave it generously 4. This game was made for console lemmings and pokemons. Fallout-like perk system makes Skyrim far too easy. It has nothing to do with an RPG, except sharing Elder Scrolls name. Playing as Adept in Skyrim is like playing as Novice in Oblivion, no fun at all. Buggy and glitchy textures, dumb and weak opponents, poorAfter lots of hours in game, i've changed my mind and gave it generously 4. This game was made for console lemmings and pokemons. Fallout-like perk system makes Skyrim far too easy. It has nothing to do with an RPG, except sharing Elder Scrolls name. Playing as Adept in Skyrim is like playing as Novice in Oblivion, no fun at all. Buggy and glitchy textures, dumb and weak opponents, poor and short story, boring and repetitious side quests. Shame on you Bethesda, take this lazy mix of great Morrowind and very good Oblivion with you and don't you dare to come back, ever. Expand
  17. Feb 6, 2012
    This review gives a different take on the bugs, glitches, and mishaps associated with the PC version of Skyrim. Many people are complaining about the lack of PC optimization, in addition to things like the UI clearly being only ideal for console users and textures not being high-res enough. While it is very unfortunate that this is the case (the game was not designed ideally for PC), whatThis review gives a different take on the bugs, glitches, and mishaps associated with the PC version of Skyrim. Many people are complaining about the lack of PC optimization, in addition to things like the UI clearly being only ideal for console users and textures not being high-res enough. While it is very unfortunate that this is the case (the game was not designed ideally for PC), what is fortunate is that Bethesda had the logic to give us OFFICIAL MOD SUPPORT for PC. Don't like the UI? Download a mod that changes it. Don't like the low-res textures? I've already downloaded over 3GB of higher res textures. Don't like the optimization? It gets better with each and every patch. While the PC version is not perfect, it's surely good enough for a 9/10 rating. Expand
  18. Feb 19, 2012
    Pretty much the first thing I did after getting to Riverwood was the Bleak Falls Barrow quest. I did it all in one go and, very sadly, it was by far the most entertaining dungeon I did in the whole game. I had to scavenge for healing potions, I had to use my special power quite a lot (Redguard) , had to kill a few Draugr by leading them through traps and had to reload the final fight inPretty much the first thing I did after getting to Riverwood was the Bleak Falls Barrow quest. I did it all in one go and, very sadly, it was by far the most entertaining dungeon I did in the whole game. I had to scavenge for healing potions, I had to use my special power quite a lot (Redguard) , had to kill a few Draugr by leading them through traps and had to reload the final fight in there a couple of times. Good stuff. Then I got into crafting (good) and alchemy (same old thing but more boring) . Did a few quests which I would describe as moderately hard. After that it was all too easy. Still, there were plenty of places to visit and people to see or were they the same 6 people? The same 6 that had just quaffed a very potent elixir of drain personality? Eventually it felt like Bethesda had forced a potion of damage motivation on me. Why should I keep going? To spend hours in a huge dark cavern looking for plants? No thanks. To scour repetitive dungeons and houses looking for unusual gems. I'll give it a miss. To do virtually the same quests over and over again? NO. Wait, I can get some better alchemy equipment. No. Better gear? No, you're level 35 and you won't find any better stuff. I can rise through the ranks of the theives' guild and steal some outrageous things. Errr.......no. Maybe I could have an amusing chance encounter? Maybe not. Maybe the giants have some other purpose rather than to get my armour skill up and I can find out what it is? Don't think so. Well, there's that high level perk for such and such skill that will really help me when I want to do such and such. Yes, and that would be which one exactly?
    Seriously I have never played a game that left me so bereft of motivation in such a short space of time. The final battle of the main quest was over before it began and afterwards I swapped from two-handed and heavy armour to one-handed and light armour. Even then, with no perks in either, I still could take out the toughest enemies without any trouble. Just took a bit longer and I chugged a couple of healing potions in the process. Right, I've even become demotivated writing about this game. It delivers on a few superficial levels, but deep down it's very shallow indeed. I'm left wondering if it is even possible to make the whole Elder Scrolls experience more bland and anodyne than this. Let's hope not.
  19. Feb 28, 2012
    You can look but you can't touch...

I will get this out of the way right now: Skyrim is an awesome game with a breathtaking scope and an ambitious storyline with a few foreshadowing elements in its main plot (perhaps Bethesda is working up to throwing ITS lit match at WoW?) However in many respects, Skyrim doesn't actually understand that it is a GAME, or even that it is telling a story.
    You can look but you can't touch...

However in many respects, Skyrim doesn't actually understand that it is a GAME, or even that it is telling a story. To be fair however, Bethesda have always suffered from this disease to varying degrees but this is possibly the most-jarring instance of it that I've seen from them.

To clarify what I'm talking about: in your average game (and 99% of the memorable, engaging stories in the world) there is a sense of arc, of progression, as the plot unfolds. Characters evolve, personalities and relationships change, and at the end of the story, the state of things is changed (however subtle). With Skyrim however one gets the sense that the world is simply a matte painting into which the plot elements are tacked on. The dynamism of that place is completely invulnerable to our presence as the protagonist which makes all those positives about plot and characters and depth ring hollow. One gets the sense that the game doesn't need us and that robs even the supposedly most engaging moments of the game of any sense of reality. For example: The main side-quest in Markarth.

After a while, when the shine has worn off the game, that's all Skyrim has left to offer: An uncomfortable sense that it is tolerating your presence even though it feels you are sullying its pristine vision of Tamriel.
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    A complete snore fest after the first hour with dejavu around every corner for players of oblivion and morrowind at the uninspired quests the cookie cutter characters and the ugly textures and animations poor effort bethesda you showed you can do great things with your gamejam video why cant you make a game with all that variety instead next time?
  21. Mar 7, 2012
    I am completely disappointed in this game (more than 200 hours played, lots of quest and other things done, seen, and tested). Its showing how gaming looks nowadays. Everything needs to be noobed. Consoles are taking over everything. The Elder Scrolls was PC series, but Skyrim is not PC anymore, its some damn console arcade crap port. Its has good graphic, and what else..? Why do peopleI am completely disappointed in this game (more than 200 hours played, lots of quest and other things done, seen, and tested). Its showing how gaming looks nowadays. Everything needs to be noobed. Consoles are taking over everything. The Elder Scrolls was PC series, but Skyrim is not PC anymore, its some damn console arcade crap port. Its has good graphic, and what else..? Why do people praise this game as masterpiece? Its a disaster! After fair Oblivion, I have been expecting more of a Morrowind game from another TES Titule. They got rid so many things from this game that 5000 character limit is not enough to write about all of them. The worst thing in Skyrim is that its console game, wich was released on PC just to get more money out of it. I cant stand the damn interface, fcking scrolling up/down/left/right, the one in Oblivion was perfect! Its just so simple now, there are no details, just like the game itself. Its empty. In oblivion for example, we could view everything in player menu - Guilds, factions, ranks, everything was there. What do we have in Skyrim? There is nothing. You join a guild, and thats all. You cant check your status in it, your rank, nothing. They made this game some action adventure now. With "instant" health and magicka regen + retarded perk selection. I hope that Bethesda will get nuked for releasing such thing. TES is dead. Im a PC player, and I demand PC game. Mouse + keyboard, I dont give a fck about consoles. There should be few type of this game. One for PC built especially for it, and others for consoles. Everyone would be happy. Dont tell me there are mods to change things, I know it, but if I buy a product I expect it to be the way I expect it to be. Expand
  22. Mar 7, 2012
    This game,is definitely one of the most invested games that I ever played at!
    The biggest virtues of the game is his game play,and the size of the game world.
    The game play of the game is special,it isn't something that I saw in any other RPG game,and this what that makes him to turn to larger audience. You can play the game from first person or from third person,for the convenience of
    This game,is definitely one of the most invested games that I ever played at!
    You can play the game from first person or from third person,for the convenience of the player.
    There are three main classes-mage,warrior and thief-but differently from other games,you don't pick the class at the beginning of the game,but choose the right combination of skills to create the desirable character.
    One of the benefits of this system is that you can create a very powerful combination between classes like warrior-mage or thief-warrior.
    As mage you can choose different magic each hand,or the same magic in each hand,and use them as one combined stronger magic,or as warrior or thief you can use two daggers or small swords and use power hit to swing them both very fast and hit the enemy very hard.
    Skyrim graphics aren't to much impressive for today,however the graphical engine of the game is much better then the previous game,and the game makes up for it in the awsome game play and the enormous map.
    The AI in the game is something that disgracing the game.
    In most of the time when you don't want to be discovered,you just crouch and no one see you even if he looks right at you.
    Now we got to the game biggest disadvantage,the abnormal amount of bugs.
    There are so much bugs,that sometimes you can't keep playing the game until you solve the problem with other patches and updates,Bethesda,why do you so harry to release the game before you checks that there are no problems like that in the game?
    today there are a lot of updates that solve most of the bugs but still the game isn't clean of bugs.
    I believe that the people that read this already know the story,yet I will tell the story shortly.
    Your figure caught while he tried to enter to the kingdom of skyrim.
    Whe soldiers of the imperials trying to execute you,a huge,black dragon called alduin destroys the city and you success run away,and from there the story keeps going on,there is a giant riot in all of the big cities in skyrim because of the return of the dragons,it appears that you are the dragonborn,a man with blood and soul of the dragon,and the only one who can destroy alduin the son of the first dragon,that brings to life the dragons.
    The main story is so not reliable,you are the hero that supposed to save the world,and instead be treated like god or even king,you treated like a simple citizen and even less.
    the story of the game had such a large potential to be the best story of the year,and Bethesda missed it.
    In summery,this is the best RPG game that ever made,but with some more investment it could be the best-selling game!
  23. May 19, 2012
    All the other Elder Scrolls and Fallout games had one main feature that is missing in Skyrim no quick select slots. Pausing the game every 5 seconds to select a item totally breaks the immersion. The reason I don't buy bio-ware games is for the same reason.
  24. May 29, 2012
    Storytelling and quests in this game are insult to intelligence! I don' understand how people can not see this? Only thing that is big in this game is map!
  25. May 31, 2012
    Massively overrated sandbox game with poor combat mechanics, clunky UI, bad story, uninteresting characters etc. I already knew the deal from previous TES games and was prepared for lots of modding to make it playable, but it was still too boring for me to finish.
  26. Jul 13, 2012
    At first, I was blown away with the enviroments and the detail they've put into everything. You can climb the highest mountain, travel to anywhere you like. While you're doing this you can spot little details everywhere you look, like salmon swimming upriver or plants and flowers you can pick to make potions from. You have absolute freedom in this game. The storytelling or the way you getAt first, I was blown away with the enviroments and the detail they've put into everything. You can climb the highest mountain, travel to anywhere you like. While you're doing this you can spot little details everywhere you look, like salmon swimming upriver or plants and flowers you can pick to make potions from. You have absolute freedom in this game. The storytelling or the way you get from one quest into the next is also well done. You try to do a simple task and suddenly you find yourself in alot of trouble. However the moment you get over the great enviroment in Skyrim you see the tradeskills are way too shallow. You can mine ore with 3 swings which mines a vein the size of a room. You can't fish, which is a shame considering the great mountain enviroments. There aren't enough usable items. At lvl 20 I've only changed gear once. But the most annoying part is the companion who always attacks your targets frontally. Which means it's either always in your way, or it's not and it steals your kill so you don't get XP. And don't forget the poor controls. They went for minimal HUD and controls, which means you have to pause the combat every single time you need a different weapon or spell. Alot of the time this gets you killed as you pause right before the enemy strikes you. You run around with a bag full of bows swords shields and spells and you can't bind them to hotkeys ? How very console is that !
    Then there is the horse, which tries to defend you and dies half the time trying. I lost count how many times I had to reload because of that.
    My conclusion is, they've fixed alot of what was wrong in oblivion but there are still so many things wrong with skyrim. This game has 2 strong points. The enviroment and the close-combat, if the companion isn't in the way that is. The tradeskills are rubbish and should have been done in much more depth.
  27. Jul 14, 2012
    I was severely disappointed with this game, as much as I hate to say it. I bought this game hoping for an entirely new experience, a great story and game-play, but it was stunted by quite a few things. Firstly, the story was very linear and boring in terms of quests. Things like, "Go to cave X to find a clue about the whereabouts of Y." When you then go to the cave, there are a fewI was severely disappointed with this game, as much as I hate to say it. I bought this game hoping for an entirely new experience, a great story and game-play, but it was stunted by quite a few things. Firstly, the story was very linear and boring in terms of quests. Things like, "Go to cave X to find a clue about the whereabouts of Y." When you then go to the cave, there are a few monsters and a straight path to the end, as well as some recurring puzzles that you see in almost every major cave. The side quests are even worse, and are often just fetch quests and, "Go kill X," quests. You can join groups like the dark brotherhood, but the result is the same, boring, linear quest pattern. As for combat, most of the time is spent in the inventory switching spells, drinking potions, switching weapons, while there is little focus on the actual combat. It's no kind of fighting we haven't seen before, just make your character face the enemy, select from your wide variety of weapons, and hit the attack button. Done. Have I mentioned that the game is very slow paced? Outside of dungeons, you barely fight anything other than a bandit here and there, and on rare occasions, you will encounter a dragon. The game-play is mostly looking at your inventory and traversing large spans of land. I've never really cared much about graphics in game, but if you do, these are sub par for how much hype they received pre-release. Overall, I was very disappointed. I'll stick with BIT.TRIP and The Binding. Much more satisfying on every level. Expand
  28. Jul 16, 2012
    I would have rated this game 10/10 had it not been released with so many bugs!

I would have rated this game 10/10 had it not been released with so many bugs!

story so far, I played for many hours getting my character to level 29, only to find that a patch that was supposed to fix the game, instead corrupted my saved games. Finally, I managed to get back into my save game after trying numerous suggested fixes on forums. I continued playing for a couple of days until all of a sudden I could no longer talk to NPCs, mine or use switches. Refusing to start a new game, I left the game for a couple of months and logged back in recently. After logging in, I received an error message that appeared on starting a new game or logging into a saved game. I went off in search of a fix and after reading numerous forum articles each with a different solution I decided to give up. After a brief period of time spent swearing at my PC, I did find a solution and finally managed to get into my save game. However, the fleeting moment of joy was replaced with yet more misery. The graphics were glitched, the game world looked like the brightness had been turned up to full and the color palette had been replaced with monochrome. After checking all my drivers were up to date and verifying the game cache, I tried logging into the game the next evening only to find it kept bombing out before reaching the main menu....

I have never had so many issues trying to play a game before and I really do want to rate it higher! However, due to the fact that I have not been able to play it for a good few months plus I have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot issues, wasting away my life..... i can't give it more than 4/10.
  29. Jul 30, 2012
    I simply cannot understand all the Hype with this game and Oblivion and similar games like Mass effect 1+2.. The story is so boring and there are so many side stuff that u simply get lost past the 4-5 hours of playing it.

It's games like this that i really wanna play when i see the trailers, and then get terribly disappointed, Thank god for piratebay! Heavily Overrated boring Game
  30. Dec 24, 2012
    This game mostly just made me miss Morrowind. If you play a heavily modded skyrim I believe its a lot more fun,but I never bothered with that, as it is a fair amount of work to go to just to play a game. My flatmate has spent nearly as much time trying to force the game to work with a massive string of mods as actually playing. The stories for the various guilds/factions and even theThis game mostly just made me miss Morrowind. If you play a heavily modded skyrim I believe its a lot more fun,but I never bothered with that, as it is a fair amount of work to go to just to play a game. My flatmate has spent nearly as much time trying to force the game to work with a massive string of mods as actually playing. The stories for the various guilds/factions and even the main storyline are really quite sub-par in my opinion. Main good points would be better levelling system than oblivion I guess. I honestly cannot think of anything else nice to say. Only for the easily amused. Expand
  31. Apr 4, 2013
    At the moment of writing this I have over 86 hours played in this game and still I'm not even near 50% of completion. Dragons, swords, bows, magic, being the chosen one in a land full of mistery, I mean, what else do you need in a game? The gameplay is perfect, the graphics are gorgeous except for the ocassional shadow glitch, but nothing you can't fix with a mod and it has SteamAt the moment of writing this I have over 86 hours played in this game and still I'm not even near 50% of completion. Dragons, swords, bows, magic, being the chosen one in a land full of mistery, I mean, what else do you need in a game? The gameplay is perfect, the graphics are gorgeous except for the ocassional shadow glitch, but nothing you can't fix with a mod and it has Steam Workshop for easy mod installation to make it even longer and better and prettier.

Each DLC is worth every single cent, because it expands the gameplay A LOT, and by A LOT, take my word, I mean several hours more for you to waste on this game. Even though it has the bugs you can expect in a game developed by Bethesda and yes, there are lots of bugs and glitches you DON'T EVEN CARE because THE GAME IS SO AWESOME you'll not be paying attention to the bugs.

A giant map, literally thousands of quests to do, skills to master, monsters to kill, books to read, dragons to slay, spells to learn, and places to explore, from dungeons to towns, a lot of replayability believe me, you won't finish this game with only one character, you will be creating several to choose every single side possible in each conflict and making each choice you can to learn the whole story a magnificent lore, and the amount of mods available, make this game along with its DLCs and expansions one of the BEST GAMES EVER and a MUST BUY, from casual to hardcore gamers.
  32. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A poorly thought out and written main story is the thing that killed this game for me. Kill a dragon get a point for voice stuff and only voice stuff....... Read a scroll for the storyline and get a point or have someone teach it to you......
    Overall a game that could have been good if they had invested in hiring a decent writer.....
  33. Jul 8, 2014
    Skyrim is a great game that I have spent countless hours in. Bethesda succeeded in crafting the most beautiful and vibrant open world ever, with rich and varied settings and a deep lore. However they took 2 steps forward and one back compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Quest lines are linear, offer absolutely no choices and involve mostly talking to NPC A, going to dungeon B,Skyrim is a great game that I have spent countless hours in. Bethesda succeeded in crafting the most beautiful and vibrant open world ever, with rich and varied settings and a deep lore. However they took 2 steps forward and one back compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Quest lines are linear, offer absolutely no choices and involve mostly talking to NPC A, going to dungeon B, killing everything inside, retrieving item C and then going back to NPC A. The game is also littered with bland and static characters who are never influenced by or acknowledge your actions. Most are only good for one of two lines of dialogue. There are very few if any memorable characters, just legions of AI controlled cut outs going about there business. The story falls flat because you never feel connected to the world or that anything is particular at stake. Its a shame because technically Skyrim far outshines its predecessors, and its story and character problems could have been easily solved with some additional writing and voice acting. Expand
  34. Nov 11, 2011
    This game deserves an 8, it has good graphics, voice acting can now and then be realy horrible imo. Cant judge on the whole story but from what ive seen so far it has a solid story and fun combat.
  35. Nov 11, 2011
    (first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the(first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the previous games they'll realize it is for the better.

Overall its a dam good game. If you don't like morrowind or oblivion then you won't like this game since free form RPGs probably aren't your thing so you should probably play something quite linear like the witcher 1 or 2. If you do like the previous games you may first feel a little upset with a few of the minor changes but once you realize why there in there you'll notice it does in fact provide a better game play experience. The vast majority of people having graphical problems are either on PS3 or very low end systems. There are a few crashes but for me at least they are rare (every 3 hours or so) and it is very quick to get back into the game. But with the quality Bethesda provides with all their games there is no doubt that patches will be released to tweak these problems and they don't impact on the games fun factor at all.

The graphics are very nice and up there with any other fantasy setting game around and a nice upgrade over previous titles (I only compare with fantasy games as realism in graphics isn't the style they generally go for, meaning it is ridiculous and idiotic to compare graphics between this and battlefield 3 as the graphical styles are completely different, however it can be compared with The Witcher 2 and is probably equal though a little better than it in graphic wise).

All of the complaints about the graphics I've seen are more because they dislike the graphical style (fantasy with a very slightly cartoon appearance) but the graphics are actually really nice. Of course the PS3 version of the game has graphical glitches, but that is more difficulty issues with the PS3 architecture than anything else. I haven't had any major graphical problems over 3 different PC setups and it all runs very smoothly. The only poorer aspect of the graphics from me is perhaps the particle effects for some of the fire effects but its a moot point and as a graphics programmer I can be a little picky there. The only major glitches I've seen are to do with animation transitions but again its kind of moot and doesn't break the immersion of the game.

The AI path-finding also seems to have undergone an overhaul for the better. The AI is very good at navigating the game world and even in the few instances when it gets stuck it sorts itself out very quickly. There is still the problem of being able to trick it by placing yourself in a position it can't get too (such as on a cliff) and shooting it from afar, but that is really kind of cheating anyway and is an AI problem that will always be around for these games (other games get around it by simply preventing the player from moving to those locations, they can't do that in elder scrolls as it goes against their design philosophy of being able to go anywhere).

Storyline wise the game is much better than oblivion (on par with morrowind which I enjoyed) and the voice acting throughout the game is head and shoulders above oblivion. Again with any elder scrolls game its the world and side quests that make up the meat of the game and here they don't disappoint.

The combat system that takes about 20-40 mins to an to get used to but once you do you quickly realize how much better it is. There is actually some depth to it now rather then just hack and slash like oblivion (though it did try to be different). It is much easier to get the hang of than the Witcher though. The auto leveling system is also better since like the famous MMM mods you can still run into creatures of a higher level. it good still do with some more tweaking so that less weaker creatures appear (most bandits seem to be quite low level) but it is dam fun killing them so doesn't ruin the game at all.

The gameplay has also been improved with the addition of small gameplay elements such as a crafting system, overhaul of skills (for the better), roleplaying aspects (not something I really enjoy but nice addition all the same) like chopping firewood to earn a little extra gold and many more things. I particularly like the new spell, enchantment and alchemy systems which have more depth but are simpler to play with.
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing! A beautiful world to explore filled with people that are as real as your neighbors. Battles are fluid and satisfying with some nice kill shots thrown in. People saying the graphics are poor need to upgrade their machine. My son has a $500 laptop and the game looks beautiful on it.
  37. Nov 11, 2011
    0s, 1s and 2s, lol, you guys are high. 0! Wow, you must have some incredibly high expectations for a game experience. I've been playing since release and am loving every minute of it so far. The control scheme takes a bit to get use to, but what new game doesn't. The graphics aren't stellar high res, but fantastic eye candy nonetheless. The story is fantastic! The combat is decent0s, 1s and 2s, lol, you guys are high. 0! Wow, you must have some incredibly high expectations for a game experience. I've been playing since release and am loving every minute of it so far. The control scheme takes a bit to get use to, but what new game doesn't. The graphics aren't stellar high res, but fantastic eye candy nonetheless. The story is fantastic! The combat is decent and entertaining. The sheer amount of things to do is over the top. I've had 0 issues with the game, not one crash, flicker or freeze. If you dig a deep, well crafted RPG that will keep you busy for longer than you care to play, this one will definitely satisfy. Expand
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is abseloutly amazing! I It's like constantly thrilling, and it never stops! This game has actual content inside, which means the game has a soul. I personally think this game contains an endles experience, you wont regret buying it! 10/10 Expand
  39. Nov 11, 2011
    Those who are completely slating this game, look at yourselves. You're all saying you've played "10" hours, or even less and basing your opinion on that. There's 300 hours of gameplay in Skyrim. Someone compared it to The Witcher 2 about graphics; most people can barely run The Witcher at even reasonable settings...another complained about the same 10 year old background song? Sorry, butThose who are completely slating this game, look at yourselves. You're all saying you've played "10" hours, or even less and basing your opinion on that. There's 300 hours of gameplay in Skyrim. Someone compared it to The Witcher 2 about graphics; most people can barely run The Witcher at even reasonable settings...another complained about the same 10 year old background song? Sorry, but **** off! Thats easily one of the best songs that has ever been used for any game created in the past 10 years. This is a warning to all thsoe who read the bad scores; ignore them. If I had £1 for every 12 year old ranting about how their dads PC can't play this game, I'd be richer than ****ing Bill Gates! I loved Oblivion and I know I am going to love Skyrim. So stop winging, trade your game in with "daddy" stood next to you, because you obviously have no I.D. and buy a Wii and Sonic: Adventures 3D from CEX and stop downing the Metascore. Or me and Chuck Norris will personally stick your **** PC so far up your ass you'll be able to taste the Blue Screens that your wank hardware causes! Expand
  40. efx
    Nov 11, 2011
    Damn i had so much fun playing this game was completely immersed for 8 hours straight today. So much possibilities, endless world pure fun. Sure PC version could be better its quite lazy console port but still GOTY.
  41. Nov 11, 2011
    Although the graphical capabilities of the engine used in the game are quite lacklustre especially in in terms of certain textures, the feel and atmosphere of the game is spot on. So much detail has gone into the game, and the quests feel handcrafted to me for the majority. I can't think of any other games which have more handcrafted quests. Of course the randomly generated kill banditAlthough the graphical capabilities of the engine used in the game are quite lacklustre especially in in terms of certain textures, the feel and atmosphere of the game is spot on. So much detail has gone into the game, and the quests feel handcrafted to me for the majority. I can't think of any other games which have more handcrafted quests. Of course the randomly generated kill bandit leader ones are quite bland. The music is absolute top standard, and the game is very stable. Just about every single one of my steam friends is playing this game, and I'm hearing of a small number of crashes but that is it. I'm thinking some of the people facing graphical issues probably haven't updated their drivers. I'm happy to for people to have different opinions to me regarding this game but some of the people giving low ratings are absolute morons. The game does have a console feel to it at times, but one person complained that you can't assign numbers to items. This is absolute bullcrap as I have all my number key assigns to weapons and spells, and it's pretty sad that people are rating the game lower just because they are a bloody dumbarse that can't even work out the controls! Expand
  42. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is brilliant. I've played Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion and didn't really ever like those games - however, Skyrim is just perfect. Beautiful world, exciting history and great gameplay.
  43. Nov 11, 2011
    Since no one is giving honest reviews, only 10 and 0, I'm gonna give it a 10 too to make up for it.
    Oh yeah, also this game is amazing. Best game I've ever played.
  44. Nov 11, 2011
    Metacritic never ceases to make me smile. The pointless gushing praise:

"OMG Roxor!! FTW!!! I want to have this games babies" without actually articulating why its the best and most important thing to have every happened to your life. Or the extreme criticism from morons that have nothing better to do than try to down vote a game they see as somehow threatening what they love the most
    Metacritic never ceases to make me smile. The pointless gushing praise:

Or the extreme criticism from morons that have nothing better to do than try to down vote a game they see as somehow threatening what they love the most just by being another game choice that exists in the world:

"I hate this game so much it has single handedly destroyed my life!!! Dark Souls Wins and the Witcher 2 is more PC!!!"

To be honest, nobody really cares if you like some other game else more than this. What do you think about the game you are actually coming here to vote on?

It doesn't matter what you choose there will always be better and worse things to compare it to but that is really missing the point when you are talking about games. The question is are you enjoying THIS game?

What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Do you like more things about it than you dislike?

I've been gaming on PC AND Consoles since the games industry started. Iv'e seen games evolve from Pong to where we are today. Despite its ups and downs things just keep getting better and I am really excited to see where it takes us over the next 20 years...

As to my OPINION of Skyrim?

Sure it has it faults - some worse than others and I wish it did some of the things some other games that I like do better.

But every game is like that in one way or another and is one of the reasons people play OTHER games rather than only ONE!

I don't think until we advance to the point of the Matrix that a game will come close to satisfying everybody - but from my point of view, Skyrim is the best realised out of the box free roaming do what you want fantasy game to date. The mods that will come out over the next few years will make it even better and be further inspiration for Bethesda to make an even better game next time...

Its the sort of game that makes be glad to have gaming as a hobby. When I play it makes my imagination run wild and reminds me of how far things have come since it all began. Its a great time to be a gamer!
  45. Nov 11, 2011
    I just want to say that this game is head and shoulders above Oblivion. Part of the reason I love this game so much is the fact that I've died numerous times already. I started playing this game like I played Oblivion or Fallout 3, just charging through, trying to tank dragon's like I did Behemoths, and it's not working, it's forcing me to step it up! I feel ENORMOUS satisfaction afterI just want to say that this game is head and shoulders above Oblivion. Part of the reason I love this game so much is the fact that I've died numerous times already. I started playing this game like I played Oblivion or Fallout 3, just charging through, trying to tank dragon's like I did Behemoths, and it's not working, it's forcing me to step it up! I feel ENORMOUS satisfaction after taking down a dragon: definitively the highlight of my playthrough so far.

I have only one problem with it. The PC version doesn't have enough tweaks to the graphics settings for my liking (I feel Fallout 3 and New Vegas had more.) I had to go into the .ini file itself to tweak it. I have to do this because I don't have that great of a graphics card, but even on these tweaked low settings, the game still looks and plays amazing!

After the fiasco that Bethesda had with Id's RAGE, they certainly delivered big to keep up their own great reputation! I've also encountered far less bugs than in previous Gamebryo engined titles, so the Creation Engine rocks!
    Thank you Bethesda for delivering on your promises!
  46. Nov 11, 2011
    At its core, this game is absolutely fantastic. The amount of content available to the player is staggering, I'm about 11 hours in and feel like I haven't even began to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a perfect 10 is that the graphics notably suffer from having to accommodate consoles, most noticeably in the characterAt its core, this game is absolutely fantastic. The amount of content available to the player is staggering, I'm about 11 hours in and feel like I haven't even began to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a perfect 10 is that the graphics notably suffer from having to accommodate consoles, most noticeably in the character shadows (which appear very pixelated up close, even on ultra-high settings). The way the menu is set up reeks of lazy console port as well, but it's easy enough to get used to after awhile. Expand
  47. Nov 11, 2011
    I can't defend this game from not getting some decent updates in a couple areas , mainly UI but most of the negative complaints are simply untrue. The graphics are in fact great and the game runs really smooth on Ultra, but I'm sure if you have an older system you won't see it that way. If you played the game for an hour, you didn't see enough of it to get past the part where it's NOT justI can't defend this game from not getting some decent updates in a couple areas , mainly UI but most of the negative complaints are simply untrue. The graphics are in fact great and the game runs really smooth on Ultra, but I'm sure if you have an older system you won't see it that way. If you played the game for an hour, you didn't see enough of it to get past the part where it's NOT just Oblivion reskinned. You can in fact hotkey things directly from favorites and even choose which hand they are assigned to. I NEVER have to go into the menus unless I level up or switch gear out for something better/preferred. Game is completely stable and outside of a few wonky textures and the same logic problems I find in every single game, I'm enjoying myself. More of the same? Please let me know when you are playing a truly original game in this generation of games. Oh.. and another thing. All the people crying about this game being too console like will change their song in a few months when mods start coming out. Give it a year or more and the praise will be universal that PC is the way to go. Expand
  48. Nov 11, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of the most immersion and groundbreaking games I have ever played. Not only does it contain beautiful graphics, but also a detailed story line, good AI, and many features that other games wouldn't even consider implementing.
  49. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is Morrowind revisited. Adventuring, exploration and discovery are back on the menu! Truck loads of love have been poured into this game. The attention to detail, the haunting music, and the ever increasing depth of the game are but the tip of a magical and mysterious mountain. Bethesda are the masters of the RPG genre.
  50. Nov 11, 2011
    The ingame menus stop me giving this a 10, they are just a lazy effort from the devs.
    Other than that, its an awesome addition to the Elders Scrolls saga.
  51. Nov 12, 2011
    Perhaps it's a bit early for me to be writing a review (only played about 4 hours), but I'm gonna go ahead and call it - this game is really good. I'm not a huge Elder Scrolls fan - I found Oblivion to be boring. The landscape, the story, everything about it seemed like some half-assed Tolkien ripoff. This game displays more personality, has a landscape that is interesting and pretty (notPerhaps it's a bit early for me to be writing a review (only played about 4 hours), but I'm gonna go ahead and call it - this game is really good. I'm not a huge Elder Scrolls fan - I found Oblivion to be boring. The landscape, the story, everything about it seemed like some half-assed Tolkien ripoff. This game displays more personality, has a landscape that is interesting and pretty (not cut-and-paste woodlands), and shows improvement in almost all ways. It has flaws. The combat is a bit better than Oblivion (especially archery) but still feels stiff. The voice acting can be pretty wooden, and some (very little) of the dialogue has made me cringe. But it's well worth the money.

And as for the people talking about what a buggy mess it is... well, it has a patch out. I patched it before playing and I have not had any graphical bugs or crashes. It's worked perfectly.
  52. Nov 12, 2011
    Without a doubt the best RPG since Oblivion and so much better. Skyrim has great graphics, music, sound and voice acting with a huge epic story to go with it, combine that with the ability to make mods and you have a game like no other.
    The engine is not cutting edge when it comes to graphics but what you do get is more than good enough and allows you to play it on moderate hardware.
  53. Nov 12, 2011
    The world of Skyrim is huge. The graphics are truly amazing. The gameplay is great. This is really worth your money if you love role playing games! I understand that some long-time Elder Scrolls fans might be a bit disappointed with some of the aspects of the game though. Its complexity has been somewhat scaled down to fit the console crowd and casual gamer better. But overall I'm notThe world of Skyrim is huge. The graphics are truly amazing. The gameplay is great. This is really worth your money if you love role playing games! I understand that some long-time Elder Scrolls fans might be a bit disappointed with some of the aspects of the game though. Its complexity has been somewhat scaled down to fit the console crowd and casual gamer better. But overall I'm not personally bothered with that. The game is still immersive and fun, and it's got all the bells and whistles a true role playing game should have. I have shaved one point off my score (from a 10 to a 9) simply because of the few but noticable bugs in the game. Don't worry though, they don't spoil the enjoyment of this fantastic game. Expand
  54. Nov 12, 2011
    The aren't enough words to describe this game. When Bethesda develops a game, one should expect bugs, glitches, broken mechanics and some minor combat issues; problems that are present in Skyrim as well, but don't even come close to ruining the experience. The land is beautiful, with a lot of detail and bettered by a superb soundtrack that manages to touch your heart. There are some uglyThe aren't enough words to describe this game. When Bethesda develops a game, one should expect bugs, glitches, broken mechanics and some minor combat issues; problems that are present in Skyrim as well, but don't even come close to ruining the experience. The land is beautiful, with a lot of detail and bettered by a superb soundtrack that manages to touch your heart. There are some ugly textures and some colours are drab and monochrome, but that doesn't affect too much. I'm not even going to talk about the rest of the game, so speechless I am. Expand
  55. Nov 12, 2011
    i wanted to call it game of the year,
    what i like is that the game difficulty is not set too low and that the enivorment is very detailed, the sounds and the music are nice as well all together a impressive atmosphere. its very small, the download only has a size of 5,8GB.
    i wanted to call it game of the year,

on the other hand, the graphics engine itself is looks very old, when you get closer to anything, all you see is edges, little texture bugs... reminds me on RAGE; same problem.
    the controls of the game are a disaster. SERIOUSLY.

the npc/ai players block your way , the enemy ai gets stuck at random objects.

the mainquest is done very fast, (lvl 11 was enough to finish it) i think i took double the time for oblivion, at the end its just, travel - fight dragon - travel - fight dragon again. AND again... uuuh so creative.
    the secondary quests are fun, also its fun to just ride arround with the horse and let it fall down from high mountains.

its not worth the 49â
  56. Nov 12, 2011
    I've been playing this for about 14 hours, and I'm very, very addicted and immersed into the game world. Looking at the low scores, I can't be entirely sure what people were expecting. I suppose Bethesda showed screenshots that made the game look its best (this happens with every game I would add), as the graphics tend to favour rendering rocks and clouds into the distance over water andI've been playing this for about 14 hours, and I'm very, very addicted and immersed into the game world. Looking at the low scores, I can't be entirely sure what people were expecting. I suppose Bethesda showed screenshots that made the game look its best (this happens with every game I would add), as the graphics tend to favour rendering rocks and clouds into the distance over water and shadows, and as such looking at a vista gives you a jarring sense of beauty and dire ugliness at the same time. Not only that, character animations still are stiff albeit an improvement. In fact, let's get all the negative stuff out the way now; the controls for PC are awful, amazingly awful considering Bethesda's PC menu's have always been fine before now. It feels very much like they didn't think about making the interface work on PC (perhaps they ran out of time committing to 11/11/11), so expect your first few hours to be an exercise in getting used to then perfecting the controls as best you can.

So what's good? Well, despite shading issues and water in the distance, the weather effects and mountains will frequently make you want to just stop and stare at a view, Bethesda have truly outdone themselves on that front, and it makes the graphical flaws more acceptable when you're playing. You will NEVER have a lack of quests after the first handful of hours, and as such you will have tons of reasons to go and explore all of Skyrim. And given the properly designed dungeons, they're well worth it. That is the major reason I feel this is such an improvement over Oblivion, where dungeons used to be boring and nigh on pointless, they're more focused experiences that genuinely will give you something worthwhile for plumbing its caverns/halls/chambers (and handily when you've got out of a major dungeon and looted it all, it will be marked as cleared on the map).

But the big thing is that despite people's complaints about combat, Skyrim is a massive improvement on Oblivion. It could be even better for sure, but the slickness of dual-wielding spells and quickswitching to a bow and arrow, before delivering a cinematic finishing blow with your sword and shield will certainly leave you more impressed than you were with Oblivion. The levelling system is also infinitely easier to keep track of and improve your skills with.

I think I've covered most of what I've thought so far while playing. This is an altogether more beautiful and slicker (apart from the controls) Oblivion, absolutely worth your time as long as you're ready to wrestle with the controls. If you're patient, it may well be worth your while to wait until various issues are fixed or some good mods have come out to try and improve them though (8.5).
  57. LMW
    Nov 12, 2011
    I never liked TES series (except Daggerfall). It seemed to me these games didn't have enough atmosphere, dynamics and storyline depth. I almost entirely skipped Oblivion - it wasn't "my" game, let's say. I was pretty sceptical about Skyrim - first-person orientated RPG from the same game developer in the same universe...bah. But everything dimmed when I dived into the depths of Skyrim. II never liked TES series (except Daggerfall). It seemed to me these games didn't have enough atmosphere, dynamics and storyline depth. I almost entirely skipped Oblivion - it wasn't "my" game, let's say. I was pretty sceptical about Skyrim - first-person orientated RPG from the same game developer in the same universe...bah. But everything dimmed when I dived into the depths of Skyrim. I was amazed from the very beginning by dynamical combat system, gorgeous and enormous world, full of events that happen regardless of player, marvelous dungeons and many, many other things. Doing one of the first quests I was told to go to the snowy mountains and investigate the dungeon. I took a horse (horses animation is great, by the way) and galloped to my destination point. When I was near, blizzard has started and it became harder to follow our path. It was quiet high up in the mountains and I was impressed how scary it was to look down. At the same time, it was magnificently spellbinding to watch so realistic and epic picture! What a marvelous view! Then I left my horse near the entrance and deepened into the dungeon...But that is another epic story! Once again, I was sceptical about this title from the very beginning. But don't let prejudice and stereotypes hold you from trying this masterpiece. Just try it and you would not regret it. It is worth every single $. Expand
  58. Nov 12, 2011
    Skyrim...An amazing open world non-linear dragon slaying NPC mudering bundle of enjoyment. This, is quite possibly the best elder scrolls game so far. Ruined only by the occasional bug or two which will most likely be patched and fixed. Great story, the dragon fights are amazing, and randomly scripted events. I had to muster allot of effort to rip myself away from it long enough to getSkyrim...An amazing open world non-linear dragon slaying NPC mudering bundle of enjoyment. This, is quite possibly the best elder scrolls game so far. Ruined only by the occasional bug or two which will most likely be patched and fixed. Great story, the dragon fights are amazing, and randomly scripted events. I had to muster allot of effort to rip myself away from it long enough to get some food. Buy it, Dovahkiin commands you! Expand
  59. Nov 12, 2011
    Best RPG of the year. Nuff' Said. This game will eat away your life; I couldn't even keep track of time while I was playing lol.
  60. Nov 12, 2011
    graphic is sometimes fantastic, but not everywhere. at the beginning i thought the graphic looks average but the longer you play you more get into it. the atmosphere for me is good, its very thick. sometimes you can get some bugs, i hope they patch them out very soon. the game is fun and interesting and not that complicated. its a very good game for 2011 and this game deserves a goodgraphic is sometimes fantastic, but not everywhere. at the beginning i thought the graphic looks average but the longer you play you more get into it. the atmosphere for me is good, its very thick. sometimes you can get some bugs, i hope they patch them out very soon. the game is fun and interesting and not that complicated. its a very good game for 2011 and this game deserves a good rating. the steam feature i thought is useful but i couldn't even install it from the cd but after a trick i could, i mean this should install automatically from cd, we live in the 21 century.
    play it if you love gothic or the witcher,

iam out
  61. Mar 30, 2012
    This game has stood it's ground as time goes on. Notice how the majority of negative reviews are when the game was released. Granted, I was a bit disappointed at first too. The graphics were not what I was expecting and there were a few bugs and the UI kind of sucked. Most of the negatives are from people that cannot be satisfied.

Bethesda has proven to be a worthy company though,

Bethesda has proven to be a worthy company though, releasing updates, an Excellent Hi-Res pack, and providing continual support The millions of people who have put in many hours can attest to the overall quality of this game. After you put in 100+ hours, you realize how impressive this game really is. They put so much time into designing this, so many unique places and dungeons.

Oh and did I mention the mods? You can get as ridiculous as you want with this game. I know 'hardcore' elitists will never let their nostalgia go, this is by far the highest overall quality RPG game ever made.
  62. Nov 12, 2011
    Most of the complaints people here are spouting out don't really seem to be justified (or accurate). Yes, Skyrim has some bugs but not nearly enough to take you out of the game experience. Due to the shear scope of games today, bugs are bound to happen but at least Bethesda will patch them and if not, the modding community is huge. It works perfectly on my PC and I've had very littleMost of the complaints people here are spouting out don't really seem to be justified (or accurate). Yes, Skyrim has some bugs but not nearly enough to take you out of the game experience. Due to the shear scope of games today, bugs are bound to happen but at least Bethesda will patch them and if not, the modding community is huge. It works perfectly on my PC and I've had very little issues in terms of game bugs. The graphics are good and the environment is great. After spending over 15 hours playing, I can safely say I spent my money wisely. Expand
  63. Nov 12, 2011
    i worn u last time... do not this game.

it`ll ruin u all u have and u r in,,,

like family, job, school, and ur gf.

just.. just take blue pill.. before u r late.
  64. Nov 12, 2011
    What can i say... This is the best Rpg game i have ever played and probably the Best in Gaming history.

Buy it, you wont regret it, and if you do, your not sane.
  65. Nov 12, 2011
    Graphics look good, including animations. Voice acting is pretty good. The landscape, unless you're on top of a mountain looking down onto the flatter areas, is magnificent and a huge improvement over the copy and paste job from Oblivion. The crafting/enchanting systems are a welcome edition and add a new dimension for those who want to focus on the merchant end of the game. One of theGraphics look good, including animations. Voice acting is pretty good. The landscape, unless you're on top of a mountain looking down onto the flatter areas, is magnificent and a huge improvement over the copy and paste job from Oblivion. The crafting/enchanting systems are a welcome edition and add a new dimension for those who want to focus on the merchant end of the game. One of the big horrifying problems though is the obviously built for consoles user interface. It's like a nightmarish laggy iTunes inspired inventory where 5000 songs are spread over only 10 album/artists. Oh, and you can't switch to album view. The worst part is, I don't know if mod tools can fix it. I feel like the UI is a big part of a game since it's basically your window into all of your game interactions. Considering you're going to be using it throughout the ENTIRE game more effort ought to be put into it.

Sure, there is some hotkey support such as pressing 'm' for the map, 'j' for the quest log and being able to pull up a favorites list with 'q'. But it all feels really tacked on. The mouse can pick items in the inventory as you'd expect but the way that the items are presented makes using the mouse feel like you're using one of those extendo-grabber-clow things to pick up a coke can. If a mod that basically presents row/columns of multiple items instead of just one GIANT screen hogging 3D render of an item and allows you to select them through that comes out, this game can be marked for finished.
  66. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is fantastic but it is not without it's flaws. But I feel they do not affect the game too much, as a great deal of them are very minor and will probably be patched or mods from the fantastic community will come along in week one.

This game improves alot of mechanics of Oblivion, combat generally feels the same, although slightly more fluid for some reason, probably due to the fact that you now have killing blows, dual wielding and the ability to use your shield as a weapon.

The favourites thing is a fantastic idea, but it feels awkward and poorly executed, but it generally works out once you get used to it.

The voice acting is on a whole pretty damn good, but it is weak in some spots, but a far cry better than Oblivion, I got sick of hearing the same dozen voices all the time, now you have more than 4 dozen voices which is great. Soundtrack is fantastic, it just oozes epicness and has great rolling instrumentals and fantastic ambient music. Sound effects are also good, but nothing special.

Textures are okay, hair isn't greatly detailed, amour details and reflections look great for the most part. But plants look like crap so I cannot wait for mods to clean them right up and make the environment ever more prettier than it already is. Animations are improved greatly over previous games, even NPC's have good idles, and they even perform duties which on a whole just bring the whole "live the world within the game" feel together.

This game is also very stable, it's the first PC game I've bought in months that hasn't crashed every five minuets and just caused me hell, this game has only crashed on me once, but that was my Anti-Virus software that interfered with the game. But other than that no problems whatsoever, no slowdown or choppiness at all.

My biggest gripe about this game is the menus, obviously designed for sticks, it is stupidly awkward and annoying. Trying to navigate the skill trees is tedious and just plain annoying. Also trying to pick dialogue options is annoying, Often I end up picking the wrong one and getting myself into trouble because of it, I often find myself using the arrow and enter keys. Also the default mapping of the menus is a little odd, and it takes a little time to get use to, but nothing too bad.

Overall it a fantastic game with very small issues, but as I said these will be patched or the amazing modding scene will come to the rescue within weeks end and fix them right up. Probably one of the best RPG's I have played in a few good years. Recommended.
  67. Nov 12, 2011
    I want to write something here, but that means taking the time to do so... So I will just say this: Buy the game yesterday, play it, and see what the rest of us sees aswell. This game is amazing.
  68. Nov 12, 2011
    It's here! The Elder Scrolls are back, the dragons have returned, and it's time to take your sword and head into another captivating adventure of the Elder Scrolls series. Now, I won't claim this game is perfect. Far from it, actually. But what this game is... it is captivating, it is huge, it's utterly epic. Unfortunately, living up to the huge hype that followed this title seems to be anIt's here! The Elder Scrolls are back, the dragons have returned, and it's time to take your sword and head into another captivating adventure of the Elder Scrolls series. Now, I won't claim this game is perfect. Far from it, actually. But what this game is... it is captivating, it is huge, it's utterly epic. Unfortunately, living up to the huge hype that followed this title seems to be an impossible task to uphold. First of all, the menus and controls seem to be made for a joypad, rather than the mouse&keyboard combo, which is a shame, because in some situations, when you're facing a horde of enemies, it can be somewhat painful, if not fatal, to change between the various spells, weapons and abilities your character might come in possession of. Secondly, bugs and glitches are ever present, but seeing the scope and the size of the game, they feel petty and unimportant, but then we come across huge bugs that just frustrate you. Also, the small amount of space the game requires on the Hard Drive and its relatively small system requirements have taken a toll in form of low-res textures. Nevertheless, the game still looks gorgeous, even on Medium and High settings, but, also, while animations are better than Oblivions, there's still room for improvement. Animations, however, won't stop you from enjoying the rugged landscapes of Skyrim, as they are stunning and gorgeous, and exploration never gets boring, as there is always something to do, one more cave to explore, one more ruin to clear. Gameplay has undergone some improvements, but, also, one huge drawback: removal of attributes, still, the game is enjoyable, and has depth, as combat has been somewhat improved, the magic system is fantastic and the dragon shouts are useful tools. The crafting system is by far the best in any TES game, and brings memories to the crafting of the Gothic series. So, to conclude: Bethesda has delivered one of the best games of this year. Although it doesn't quite live up to the hype, this game is a very good piece of software, sure, it has its flaws, and many PC gamers may feel disappointed and disgruntled by some of them, but, for the rest of us, with a bit higher level of tolerance, TES 5 is an enjoyable, fun game to play, that will provide a great many hours of entertainment. Expand
  69. Nov 14, 2011
    If you're whining about this game not running or working on your PC, your computer is garbage. Go out and buy a decent computer before you downgrade this game and criticize it. I play it on full ultra, at 1920x1080, and it runs smooth like butter. Perhaps if you can't play this game you should go buy a console, instead of downgrading the metascore? I know you are frustrated and sad, butIf you're whining about this game not running or working on your PC, your computer is garbage. Go out and buy a decent computer before you downgrade this game and criticize it. I play it on full ultra, at 1920x1080, and it runs smooth like butter. Perhaps if you can't play this game you should go buy a console, instead of downgrading the metascore? I know you are frustrated and sad, but please, leave the REAL gaming to us people who can afford to play a game meant to be played on a real rig, not your crappy $400 Best Buy PC.

For real, guys, quit down-rating it because it has graphical glitches. If your computer could handle it, you'd not see them. It's your own fault for buying a junk computer.
  70. Dec 12, 2011
    Whilst it's true the game still has quite a few bugs, for me they are isolated to quest bugs only as I haven't encountered anything else in the way of bugs and I've now played 120+ hours. These bugs at times are infuriating but for Skyrim's sake they don't detract from the experience at all and I still feel this game is definitely a 9.5-10. The sheer size of playable area, coupled with theWhilst it's true the game still has quite a few bugs, for me they are isolated to quest bugs only as I haven't encountered anything else in the way of bugs and I've now played 120+ hours. These bugs at times are infuriating but for Skyrim's sake they don't detract from the experience at all and I still feel this game is definitely a 9.5-10. The sheer size of playable area, coupled with the amount of content to do is overwhelming at times but it's just so good! At any one time, your log is likely to have 20-30+ quests. Sheer quantity does not always translate to quality but Skyrim never transcends into the mundane thankfully. With a slew of quest bug fixes due sometime in the next month, this game is only going to get better with age, oh and as for the graphics...stunning, it's actually mindboggling how good everything can look whilst still rendering smoothly on such sheer scale. If you don't have this game and enjoy RPG's, you really shouldn't be on here, you should be playing the game! Expand
  71. Nov 12, 2011

NOT RUINED BY CONSOLE PORT!!! There, got that out of the way :P

Skyrim, thus far, has been fantastic. The world is quite memorable, that include everything from the characters the monsters and the dungeons and cities... everything is a fantasy escapists dream. What Bethesda promised they delivered. That said, there are some technical bugs but honestly nothing game breaking. This is one of the smoothest releases Bethesda has had. While there was virtually no work done to the UI to take advantage of the PC version, there are only a few things I dislike about it really. For one, how about a means to change what the "menu" keys are (such as using SPACE rather than ENTER, which would seem easier to me)? Does that mean Bethesda spent no effort making it work? Hardly, it all works quite well and even smoother than one might anticipate with a little getting used to. Ah well, -1 point for a few silly bugs and SOME odd key assignments when navigating the UI, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this game and I haven't the heart to give it anything less than 10! Great work Bethesda, can't wait to see what's next for Skyrim :)
  72. Nov 12, 2011
    Excellent and wonderful adventure! Oblivion was expecting, but received no less than Morrowind! Graphics nice, gameplay is perfect! the first 10 hours simply could not tear myself away from 3 o'clock which was engaged in hunting and fishing!
  73. Nov 12, 2011
    The game is perfect by no means, but most of these scores ranging below 6 are mainly picking out very minor things and turning each of these into a game breaker. First off the bugs are nowhere near as bad as people have made them out to be. I have played a total of fourteen hours and have crashed twice, both cases happened at a loading screen so my progress was auto saved before, only aThe game is perfect by no means, but most of these scores ranging below 6 are mainly picking out very minor things and turning each of these into a game breaker. First off the bugs are nowhere near as bad as people have made them out to be. I have played a total of fourteen hours and have crashed twice, both cases happened at a loading screen so my progress was auto saved before, only a minor set back. Aside from that the little quirks go unnoticed and I continue to go about doing as I wish. Also, the combat isn't mind-blowing but it has improved tremendously since Oblivion and does a fine job at it. The visuals aren't the best but they aren't merely a "heavily modded Oblivion." Each quest has been completely unique and the dungeon layouts are fantastic. Somewhat cheesy story line but well worth it. I foresee many more moons of playing Skyrim. Expand
  74. Nov 12, 2011
    I've been reading through a few reviews, mostly the negative ones, and most reasons I've found has been from either their own hardware problem or hellbent determination to complain on anything that's not PC-exclusively developed or catered to the PC-group of customers. Personally I've not had any problem with the graphics. I've had one glitch and that was that a decently important dialogueI've been reading through a few reviews, mostly the negative ones, and most reasons I've found has been from either their own hardware problem or hellbent determination to complain on anything that's not PC-exclusively developed or catered to the PC-group of customers. Personally I've not had any problem with the graphics. I've had one glitch and that was that a decently important dialogue went silent. The UI, I agree, feels consoly. Though I can't find any wrong with it. The only thing would be that I can't sort items based on value or weight. There's a reason that few games are specifically designed for the PC anymore, piracy. And even if piracy isn't as serious as before the reputation of the PC is ruined and won't recover for many years. The only thing I've noted so far from "PC-gamers" is that they are entirely incapable of adapting. Apart from the sorting part I find the UI to be clean and well thought through. I immediately did in Skyrim as I did in Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout, ran away as soon as I was done with the introduction. Thus far, 13 hours in, the world has not disappointed me. Been ambushed by bandits, crushed by giants, torn to pieces by sabre cats, took some poor mans armor while he was sleeping etc. My High Elf mage/archer who at times duel wield short swords, haven't had any issues with either the diffculty, which btw got 5 levels that you can change, nor with clunky stale combat. Being a mage has never been more fun. The AI is sub-par, I have to agree on. My mage could win a brawl vs an orc chief simply since the chief didn't seem to care I was fighting with one hand and healing with the other. Anyway, I forgot where I was going with this. Expand
  75. Nov 12, 2011
    OK being a huge rpg fan i really like skyrim its great looking compared to earlier elder scrolls games not as many glitches way to much stuff do third person is ok at best but there are some glitches when ever u try to duel wield it will only show one item on u when u put away your weapon which sucks and more often the not your finishing move will look awkward me personally i would haveOK being a huge rpg fan i really like skyrim its great looking compared to earlier elder scrolls games not as many glitches way to much stuff do third person is ok at best but there are some glitches when ever u try to duel wield it will only show one item on u when u put away your weapon which sucks and more often the not your finishing move will look awkward me personally i would have gave this a 11.5 out of ten but i have to look at it from a critics stand point but i suggest u pick it up it could easily b game of the year in my opinion Expand
  76. Nov 13, 2011
    There is a good game and a very good game. This game is beyond both of these. This game is not just fantastic to play but it is also breathtaking with its enchanting scenery, enjoyable missions, fascinating puzzles and the unforgettably addictive gameplay. Once again Bethesda Softworks has made a game which I will never get bored with. Thanks, Worth every penny!
  77. Nov 13, 2011
    This is a great game, as a previous mod developer for oblivion/heavy mod user, it does make me smile to see how much the developers listened to the community and Incorporated ideas and systems from mods. It feels like oblivion streamlined and made a lot better, and is a great game overall, i have enjoyed the storyline, although I am not done yet, and there is a huge amount of gameplayThis is a great game, as a previous mod developer for oblivion/heavy mod user, it does make me smile to see how much the developers listened to the community and Incorporated ideas and systems from mods. It feels like oblivion streamlined and made a lot better, and is a great game overall, i have enjoyed the storyline, although I am not done yet, and there is a huge amount of gameplay possibilities.

The only thing that prevents me from giving this a ten is that the textures are too low rez for a gaming pc that runs bf3 on ultra, however it still looks nice and I don't doubt that a HD texture pack and perhaps even tools to increase view distance (before LOD kicks in) will be available in the foreseeable future. The freedom in TES titles is about mod-ability as much as vanilla gameplay choices.
  78. Nov 13, 2011
    Before I start I should note that I bought this game on the strength of Fallout 3 (which I loved) rather than Oblivion (which I didn't care for).

That said, this game shares so much in common with both the aforementioned, taking everything Bethesda has learned and creating a near-perfect RPG experience. The game engine is fantastic, with even my 3-year-old Core 2 Quad/Nvidia 9800GTX+

The game engine is fantastic, with even my 3-year-old Core 2 Quad/Nvidia 9800GTX+ computer pushing out Ultra graphics settings without too much difficulty. It's not as good as Rage, but it's certainly a contender for best graphics.

There are complaints about the controls, but as I'm using an Xbox 360 pad I'm not really having any difficulty. Naturally, aiming your bow would be easier with a mouse, but this is a concession I'm willing to make for a generally more comfortable control method. The controls are mapped well to the Xbox pad, with the sticks doing their usual movement/camera thing, the triggers controlling the weapon/magic/shield in the respective hand, and the other face buttons mapped to various options.

Combat is very visceral. You can now shield bash by holding up your shield and tapping the attack button, which knocks enemies back, affording you a little breathing space.

The map is HUGE, with plenty of incidental details. I initially thought the world was quite sparsely populated, but having spent some hours wandering about, I've stumbled upon so many different villages and camps, some friendly others not so much.

Quests are so far of the "go to this dungeon, kill everything and collect this item and bring it back to me" sort, which is fine by me. The dungeons are all interesting, and boss fights are variations on the standard enemies.

This game is big enough, that at level 9 I've experienced things that friends who have more time to play (level 24+) have yet to see. And we've all had a lot of fun in Skyrim - strong contender for game of the year.
  79. Nov 13, 2011
    Brilliant game which immerses you in the Nordic mythology like no other yet with a weird twist which takes you back to the roots of Morrowind. 10/10, cant wait for expansions.
  80. Nov 13, 2011
    I've been playing for around 13 hours now. And I have to say it's a fantastic game. At first I was a little disappointed, but as I progressed I realised how much of a great game it is. I haven't encountered any problems except for 1 or 2 texture glitches. There are some similarities with Oblivion and Morrowind that some people may hate, but you can easily see past it. The game is huge stepI've been playing for around 13 hours now. And I have to say it's a fantastic game. At first I was a little disappointed, but as I progressed I realised how much of a great game it is. I haven't encountered any problems except for 1 or 2 texture glitches. There are some similarities with Oblivion and Morrowind that some people may hate, but you can easily see past it. The game is huge step forward from previous titles no matter what others say. I'm not going to go into any detail as many have already done that

Instead of agreeing or disagreeing with peoples reviews, try the game for yourself. Rent it(on PS3 or Xbox 360) or play it in a friends house first, just in-case you have regrets buying it and wasting your money.
  81. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Expand
  82. Nov 13, 2011
    Let me begin by saying that I love open-world games. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion though, I much prefer Gothic 2 and 3 and Risen. This is my first review, and I feel compelled to write it because in the span of two or three hours I became hooked by Skyrim. The experience began very weak in my opinion, partially because of the way it was delivered and partially because my NVidiaLet me begin by saying that I love open-world games. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion though, I much prefer Gothic 2 and 3 and Risen. This is my first review, and I feel compelled to write it because in the span of two or three hours I became hooked by Skyrim. The experience began very weak in my opinion, partially because of the way it was delivered and partially because my NVidia drivers weren't up to date so I was getting a strobe effect with sky shadows. Having resolved the graphics issue with the latest drivers and turning down my monitor contrast, I found a beautifully rendered world with many immersive atmospheric touches. I restarted the game from the beginning and chose this time to follow the convict/rebel out of the burning settlement... much more interesting path. Many WOW moments since then, largely to do with the world itself.

Skyrim receives a 9 from me because the UI did take some time to get used to... since I'm left-handed, I remapped some keys and got stuck over-encumbered and unable to drop anything. That took a while to figure out... and just getting out of books and maps etc. seems counter-intuitive and I still occasionally get stumped. Graphically there are some ugly textures as many have mentioned but the overall effect is quite nice, particularly the water rendering. I have had no crashes in my eight hours of play. I'm only at level 4 (I like to take my time) so time will tell but I'm anything but bored at the moment. On the one hand I can't seem to get enough, yet part of me worries that this will eat into my real life. That fact alone tells me that this is a powerful game.
  83. Nov 13, 2011
    Although a little too familiar and a little unpolished, another great game from Bethesda.

Second best RPG in the last month, but that's another conversation.

Gonna be a good winter for gaming.
  84. Nov 13, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a triumph. Bethesda's magnum opus and the new benchmark for action RPG's in terms of size, scope, scale, and story. There's a lot to love here. Bethesda managed to take its signature, addicting, open world style of game play and refine it to near perfection. There is a massive amount content here. So much so, it's staggering. I find myself talking toThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a triumph. Bethesda's magnum opus and the new benchmark for action RPG's in terms of size, scope, scale, and story. There's a lot to love here. Bethesda managed to take its signature, addicting, open world style of game play and refine it to near perfection. There is a massive amount content here. So much so, it's staggering. I find myself talking to everybody I meet to obtain new things to do, and even if they have nothing for me, a lot of the time they will add their own unique insight into the events and happenings in the world. This makes the world feel alive and lived in. Quests for the most part, are fun, interesting, and will easily distract you from the main story line in a numerous amount of wonderful ways. I won't list any spoilers here, but it's advisable to partake in these, even if the task seems trivial. The game starts off interestingly enough and it's immediately more engaging than the previous title. While I loved Oblivion, I found the first hour or two of the game to be relatively boring and painful. In fact, i had to pick it up and start over several times over a period of months before I finally got into the game. Again, I won't provide any spoilers, but it's much more engaging and vastly more interesting. I'm about 50 hours into the experience and I've not wanted to put down my controller.

Controller? PC? Rly? Why you ask? Well, it's simple. The game was designed for consoles. It's a simple fact, though this isn't a bad thing. I'll touch more on this later, but the new UI is beautiful, responsive and easy to access with a controller. Important information, for the most part, is easy to access and your treated to absolutely stunning 3D models of available armor, weapons, items, etc. Everything can be examined in real time front to back and there are tons of beautiful details to gorge yourself on. The gameplay is heavily revamped in this time around and there are a few new ways to enjoy combat here. The most notable being the ability to dual wield weapons. Yes, dual wield. This can be a combination of weapon and magic, or weapon weapon. I won't go into a lot of detail on this as it pretty much speaks for itself, but imagine being able to stream a wall of fire at your target, then close in to finish him off with an axe to the head. It's a load of fun. Each weapon can be triggered independently or together to have a cumulative effect which is substantially more powerful. Swordplay this time around feels much more engaging and is vastly more brutal. The finishing moves are also a nice touch, but seem to happen only at random. In other words, you will WANT to get up close in personal with your targets.

Now lets talk about the visuals. Bethesda revamped the entire visual style of the series the results are absolutely stunning. The attention to detail within the world of Skyrim is absolutely insane, setting a new benchmark for the genre visually. From the clouds swirling the mountain tops, the wind blowing freshly falling snow from the ground, and the amazing texture work, there is a lot to take in visually here and I found myself examining everything. In fact, the world looks so good that it's almost distracting. Those who have already made the 7,000 step hike to the top of The Throat of the World will agree with me here. The world of Skyrim is cold, jagged, and harsh....yet Bethesda managed to make such an unsettling place a thing of beauty. Even this said, there is plenty of variety in the environments to keep things from becoming stale.

Character models have been vastly improved and look amazing. Gone are the days of strange looking faces and awkwardly designed characters. Character animations could still use a bit of work, but for the most part they're superior to that of what was seen in Oblivion. The flow of time is greatly improved as well. NPC interact with themselves fluidly without many awkward pauses in their speech. Additionally, the world does not come to a halt when you talk to an NPC. This was a huge annoyance to me in Oblivion and took away from the overall immersion in the world.

The game is not without its flaws though and I wish I had more space to get into these, but there's nothing game breaking here. The UI is awkward if you use a keyboard and there are various bugs in the world such as wobbling plates plates on tables that should be stationary, slow transitions after brawls with NPC, and a few other things, but nothing severe. I also wish that weapons didn't seem to "bounce" off of a target when you swing.

Skyrim is a masterpiece. It's not a game, It's an experience. One that will easily take several hundred hours of your life. There's a lot I've not touched here such as customization of your character, but trust me...there's a lot to love here. Bethesda has not only set a new benchmark for itself, but for all open world games as a medium.
  85. Nov 13, 2011
    Competing with nostalgia-rich classics of the genre, critically acclaimed "hardcore" offerings, deep PnP style multiplayer RPGs as well as Oblivion and the (superior) Morrowind before it, Skyrim still comes out on top to become the best game I've ever played.

It combines the vast explorability and intoxicating atmosphere of Morrowind with the eminent playability of Oblivion, and turns the art style, world design, voice acting, story and most everything else up to 11 to create an almost perfect high fantasy/sword & sorcery RPG experience.

Visuals: 9.5/10
    Audio: 10/10
    Gameplay: 10/10
    Story/Quest Gameplay: 10/10
    RPG Mechanics/Design: 9/10
    Content/Scope: 10/10

Overall: 10/10
  86. Nov 13, 2011
    Cons: Initially the game had driver issues, but then Nvidia released new drivers and problems were solved.
    Cons: The only other problem which I see will be solved by mods at a later date is the fact that you cannot hot button anything.. While this may seem to make the game play slow, and at times it does, the fact that you can pause the game to switch to other spells does make it easier.

PROS: The most amazing graphics ever seen on a console or PC system. If you have a GTX 580 or higher you will be enjoying impressive micro details as well as impressive macro details of the game. Example Micro detail would be the veins on a leaf. Impressive Macro details would be snow generated according to the wind and piled up realistically. It actually makes you FEEL cold.. I turned on the heater..=D
    PROS: The physics in this game is so dead-on accurate that its scary... you drop a body into the water and watch it swirl down a river and eventually sink under the waves... You jump in the water yourself and you are pulled down stream by the rapids, I actually spent time just floating with the river and catching fish with my bare Argonian hands... :) Thank Talos for water breathing.
    PROS: So much good stuff I cannot write about it all
  87. Feb 3, 2012
    Man, was I wrong when I gave this game 8 points. It's not what I thought it is. I have played tones of hours just by assuming it should get better but it never did. I will never buy Bethesda game again until they start to innovate and make more story driven games! Because Skyrim is Big Empty world full of same characters with same crappy lines. Main quest is joke as many others. No matterMan, was I wrong when I gave this game 8 points. It's not what I thought it is. I have played tones of hours just by assuming it should get better but it never did. I will never buy Bethesda game again until they start to innovate and make more story driven games! Because Skyrim is Big Empty world full of same characters with same crappy lines. Main quest is joke as many others. No matter what you do you never feel the difference in outcome. Very dull game!!!!! I regret that I spend 60 dollars on it. Expand
  88. Nov 13, 2011
    While I admit, the menus are a sorry console port, the game itself is breathtaking and amazing. Shame on the trolls who rated the game a zero. The graphics are amazing, the engine is far stabler (heck, the "~" console in oblivion didn't even work for me), and the gameplay is smoother. Some people complain that the game has been "dumbed down", but I must disagree. Fast travel is a majorWhile I admit, the menus are a sorry console port, the game itself is breathtaking and amazing. Shame on the trolls who rated the game a zero. The graphics are amazing, the engine is far stabler (heck, the "~" console in oblivion didn't even work for me), and the gameplay is smoother. Some people complain that the game has been "dumbed down", but I must disagree. Fast travel is a major boon, not a curse, especially with the massive size of the game world (I won't kid you, I haven't experienced 1/10 of it yet, it's so large). I, for one, would not want to spend half an hour getting from city to city just for "shop hopping", for example. As well, the "finishing blows" concept was a pleasant surprise to me. Does it make battles easier? Oh sure, but they're random with powerful strikes, and I've still managed to die a few times (half being falls from tall places - go figure), so I'd hardly say battles are suddenly too easy. I'm sure as soon as I have a run-in with a dragon, I'll invent some new curse words.

I wish there was a way to assign hotkeys to equipment instead of just using the favorite list (as in oblivion), but do like how versatile the favorite list is, as well as how spells and weapons can be given a hand.

The game plays amazingly smooth on my computer. Where Dragon Age II had some points where it stuttered, I've yet to encounter any lag even on the "high" settings that the game defaulted for me.

Is the game an improvement? Most definitely. Ignore the trolls who are rating 0s just because they're unhappy with a single change. The game is most definitely worth it, and then some.
  89. Nov 13, 2011
    Skyrim traditionally isn't a game with a strong main-quest, but with an unbelievable freedom. There are quests everywhere and a giant world to discover. Though the controls are not optimized for PC, its a jewel and a masterpiece. For me personally, it's the RPG-Highlight of the past 5 years.
  90. Nov 13, 2011
    My thoughts more than a review. This game is all around awesome. I never expected to get this game and never played any of the older ones. After getting it, I'm glad I did. CoD MW3 and BF3 are put on hold for awhile.

Run ultra graphics with a GTX 580. Load times are 2-3 seconds average with some loads going up to 5 seconds. Play with XBox controller. Amazing on 5.1 surround sound and 59" TV. Glad I got it for the PC.
  91. Nov 13, 2011
    While I could ramble about how ridiculous certain "reviewers" are being, I'll simply state my opinion. Skyrim is essentially exactly what I wanted from the next installment in The Elder Scrolls series. What exactly dictates that? Basically, a polished, improved Oblivion. Being a huge fan of Oblivion, this game is pinpoint accurate on returning to the formula I love, while also sprucing itWhile I could ramble about how ridiculous certain "reviewers" are being, I'll simply state my opinion. Skyrim is essentially exactly what I wanted from the next installment in The Elder Scrolls series. What exactly dictates that? Basically, a polished, improved Oblivion. Being a huge fan of Oblivion, this game is pinpoint accurate on returning to the formula I love, while also sprucing it up, and adding more in. To start, those who say this isn't a visually appealing game is diminishing two factors.; the first that it is certainly a step above Oblivion, and that it is a role playing game. While playing, I have all the details on Ultra, and I'm running it at a constant 60 frames per second. Needless to say, it looks fantastic. Even out of the context of it being a role playing game, it still looks great! People simply look for anything to pile onto their rage-reviews. Next, the sound. At first, I was skeptical about the new soundtrack Jeremy Soule laid out for me. I was a huge fan of Oblivion's soundtrack, so Skyrim's soundtrack was important to me from the introduction. While initially I wasn't too impressed, it definitely hit perfectly after the first few hours. The Nordic choruses, the compelling drums, the serene tavern backdrops, it does just as Oblivion did. It creates a soundtrack that handsomely compliments the immersion factor of the world around you. I suggest that anyone who appreciates a good musical score to edit your audio values, and turn the "music" bar up a notch; it truly makes the gameplay better. Lastly, the combat system that lets your dethrone dragons, and bash in skulls of unsuspecting (or foolish) bandits, and the like. Bethesda outdid themselves when it comes to innovating their combat system. While I enjoyed Oblivion, the fighting was robotic, and repetitive. Quite opposite of its older brother, Skyrim redefines how you take down your foes, or friendly citizens (yes, we all occasionally go on questionable rampages when we get new weapons.) From finishing moves, to spell casting that isn't sluggish, the new combat system is perfect for Skyrim. Casting fire while swinging with an enchanted sword is satisfying, to say the least.

While I could continue to write an explicit review, I'll stop myself, and end with this. Skyrim is undoubtedly a role playing game experience all fans should experience. While it sticks to the same formula while revamping itself all the while, why should that be a bad thing? If you loved Oblivion, you'll adore Skyrim. (This isn't a console port either, people just love to whine. The controls are just fine, and the visuals are a half step above consoles.)
  92. Nov 13, 2011
    Everything I could ever want in an RPG. Absolutely stunning visuals, great combat, amazing voice acting and story. This game is the complete package, and a must-buy for any fan of Bethesda RPG's.
  93. Nov 13, 2011
    Fantastic~!!!! Great Graphics(ultra of course). Amazing story with an almost unlimited amount to do and see. I have been playing for a few days it just keeps getting better. The side quests are original and fun with twists and turns~! I am a die hard RPG guy and this might beat my favorite all time; Baldur's Gate, for the new best game title~! Well done Bethesda. Well done.
  94. Nov 14, 2011
    I'm 25 hours into Skyrim so far and I still enjoy it, now this game has a bit of everything in it and almost everything in Skyrim is nothing less than amazing. Now don't think that it's perfect because it's not there are some bugs but nobody / nothing is perfect! I do feel that the quests are a little short and you could feel a bit more important in this world a lot of things you do inI'm 25 hours into Skyrim so far and I still enjoy it, now this game has a bit of everything in it and almost everything in Skyrim is nothing less than amazing. Now don't think that it's perfect because it's not there are some bugs but nobody / nothing is perfect! I do feel that the quests are a little short and you could feel a bit more important in this world a lot of things you do in the end don't give a lot of "Yeahhh I'm a badass!!" kind of feeling. All in all I give it a 9/10 good job Bethesda! (Also I see a few people saying you can not key bind on the pc version! WRONG you can! 1-8 which can also be remapped with your mouse, simply put a spell or a item that you want key bound on your favorites list then open up the list (Q button) and highlight it with your cursor and press 1-8 tada keybinds! yes I know it's not the best ever but it works. =) ) Expand
  95. Nov 14, 2011
    If you are an idiot who can't figure out how to shortcut hotkey items and spells in Skyrim, please refrain from rating this game, sell your PC and go buy an Xbox 360.
  96. Nov 14, 2011
    Absolutely worth the wait. I fully expect it to take GOTY honors which it absolutely deserves. Improved graphics, combat system, menu navigation. Great story lines and another brilliant soundtrack. Have had the game freeze up twice in about 3 solid days of playing. A couple of graphic glitches here and there and some AI issues... Nothing that has diminished the experience for me.
  97. Feb 12, 2012
    Overwhelming in its depth and value. Bethesda have really topped themselves: this is the best in the series so far and I never seem to have enough time to play through this fantastic game. It's a required purchase for anyone who considered themselves any kind of gamer: be prepared to be floored by the sheer depth of this game. It truly is unrivaled, even by its predecessors.
  98. Nov 14, 2011
    First i would like to say that if you don't like this type of game don't play it. second don't say it looks worse then Morrowind, if you play on PC like you should and have it set to ultra this game makes everything else look like crap. now that i have the rambling out of the way lets get to the game itself. This game is amazing! I couldn't believe my eyes looking on the vast and beautifulFirst i would like to say that if you don't like this type of game don't play it. second don't say it looks worse then Morrowind, if you play on PC like you should and have it set to ultra this game makes everything else look like crap. now that i have the rambling out of the way lets get to the game itself. This game is amazing! I couldn't believe my eyes looking on the vast and beautiful of Skyrim. Everything has be greatly upgraded from Oblivion. The only reason i couldn't give this a 10 out of 10 was because of the poor scripting of the kill scenes. Half of the time your sword wouldn't even be touching the enemy. But besides that the game is perfect. can't wait to see what DLC comes out for it. Expand
  99. Nov 14, 2011
    pure, beautiful, immersion with a solid, SMOOTH release from Bethesda. and the freaking sidequests... they feel significant enough to feel less like side-quests and more like it's just part of the main story. I've put in over 30 hours already, and i cant wait to put in more!
  100. Nov 12, 2011