8.3

1. Dec 26, 2011
    Oh, where to begin... Well, I'm a long-standing Elder Scrolls fan, who fell absolutely in love with Morrowind, and spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on Oblivion,also. I found both games had amazing replay value, for me at least, and I know neither of those games met some criteria for some people, but most of those were fans of other genres. If you like fantasy/RPG games, you play fantasy/RPG games, right? Well, simply put, with all of the attention Skyrim was getting, I was expecting it to be absolutely amazing. Full of lore, adventure, replay value, sophisticated puzzles, warring factions in which you chose a side, but no. Sadly, they decided to make it one faction warring with another unplayable one, that you can join, play through to the end, and gave absolutely no choice in what you did. To say the least, I was disappointed. Now, that is forgivable, especially since Oblivion was the same, but that was still a great game, right? Ah, well... I played through, did most of the main quest lines, and then... became very bored. Who wants to do dungeons you've seen a thousand times before? It gets quite boring, I assure you. And that's actually all there is to do. Sure there's side quests, but they almost always involve going through dungeons. Even the Daedric Shrine quests follow that pattern, in general. The puzzles are meek, the game is almost entirely hack and slash, which is good in some games, but in those games you generally have a specific skill set for whatever class you have, and in this, if you're any form of melee, it's the same thing over and over again. A child could play this game quite easily. Oh, and the game-breaking bugs... I won't bore you with the details, but I've had to restart three times now. I'm sure there's plenty of people complaining about that. Basically, my main annoyance is the lack of replay value. It's slim to none. Once you've done the quest lines, you're through. I'm disappointed in this game, mostly for not living up to it's predecessors. Hopefully next time they'll revive the Elder Scrolls for what it was originally. Expand
  2. Jan 6, 2012
    Skyrim was fun until I realized my side quest accomplishment of becoming the world's greatest wizard no longer mattered as soon as I step foot inside the thief's guild. Once again, I was just a grunt. The lack of side-quest persistence throughout the game, and its lack of impact on the main story, breaks much of the immersion built early on. Besides that, this game earns its title as the true successor to Morrowind. The combat is lively and exciting, adding depth to the already impressive dragon shout system that elevates you to a whole new pedestal of awesomeness. The game could do with more meaningful secrets to discover, but the content that is there is sure to leave you breathless for weeks, if not months, on end. Get this game, enjoy it. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    I am completely disappointed in this game (more than 200 hours played, lots of quest and other things done, seen, and tested). Its showing how gaming looks nowadays. Everything needs to be noobed. Consoles are taking over everything. The Elder Scrolls was PC series, but Skyrim is not PC anymore, its some damn console arcade crap port. Its has good graphic, and what else..? Why do people praise this game as masterpiece? Its a disaster! After fair Oblivion, I have been expecting more of a Morrowind game from another TES Titule. They got rid so many things from this game that 5000 character limit is not enough to write about all of them. The worst thing in Skyrim is that its console game, wich was released on PC just to get more money out of it. I cant stand the damn interface, fcking scrolling up/down/left/right, the one in Oblivion was perfect! Its just so simple now, there are no details, just like the game itself. Its empty. In oblivion for example, we could view everything in player menu - Guilds, factions, ranks, everything was there. What do we have in Skyrim? There is nothing. You join a guild, and thats all. You cant check your status in it, your rank, nothing. They made this game some action adventure now. With "instant" health and magicka regen + retarded perk selection. I hope that Bethesda will get nuked for releasing such thing. TES is dead. Im a PC player, and I demand PC game. Mouse + keyboard, I dont give a fck about consoles. There should be few type of this game. One for PC built especially for it, and others for consoles. Everyone would be happy. Dont tell me there are mods to change things, I know it, but if I buy a product I expect it to be the way I expect it to be. Expand
  4. Sep 5, 2012
    I will try to sum up how bad this game is: 1.) The story sucks, actually is practically non existent 2.) 85% of the game is made up boring fetch quests 3.) The game is level scaled. When you level up, then the enemies do the same 4.) The game is simple, even a 6 year old could play this. It is not challenging at all 5.) The RPG elements have been dumbed down so far that they are now practically non existent. This game is just a standard hack and slash 6.) 98% of all caves, dungeons, etc. are 100% linear. There is only 1 path, thats it. 7.) The inventory system is HORRIBLE. Bethesda can sell millions of copies of this **** game, but they just do not have the professional pride to actually design an efficient inventory system. 8.) There are no challenging or super powerful enemies 9.) Money has no value in this game, it is worthless. 10.) To level up your skills (alchemy, blacksmith) you have to grind so much, that it is ridiculous. 11.) There are no super powerful items in the game. The best items can only be created by your character (with generic ingredients) 12.) Exploring does not reward you in any way. It is just a waste of time. 13.) Companions are only good as mules, because they are retarded 14.) The Dragons are a joke. Simple and way too many of them. 14.) Potions are worthles (except for crafting items) because the game is not challening at all. 15.) You can find everything in abundance, there is nothing rare in this game. 16.) Why are worthless plates, cups, goblets etc. collectable? All they do is clutter up your inventory and are totally worthless! --- I could go on forever. It doesn't matter though. This game is horrible, it is the pinacle of bad game design dumbed down to a level so that retards can play it. It is the worst "RPG" or "Hack and Slash" I have ever played, and one of the worst games I have ever played. It sucks. Thats it. Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    A complete snore fest after the first hour with dejavu around every corner for players of oblivion and morrowind at the uninspired quests the cookie cutter characters and the ugly textures and animations poor effort bethesda you showed you can do great things with your gamejam video why cant you make a game with all that variety instead next time?
  6. Mar 7, 2012
    This game,is definitely one of the most invested games that I ever played at!
    The biggest virtues of the game is his game play,and the size of the game world.
    The game play of the game is special,it isn't something that I saw in any other RPG game,and this what that makes him to turn to larger audience.
    You can play the game from first person or from third person,for the convenience of
    the player.
    There are three main classes-mage,warrior and thief-but differently from other games,you don't pick the class at the beginning of the game,but choose the right combination of skills to create the desirable character.
    One of the benefits of this system is that you can create a very powerful combination between classes like warrior-mage or thief-warrior.
    As mage you can choose different magic each hand,or the same magic in each hand,and use them as one combined stronger magic,or as warrior or thief you can use two daggers or small swords and use power hit to swing them both very fast and hit the enemy very hard.
    Skyrim graphics aren't to much impressive for today,however the graphical engine of the game is much better then the previous game,and the game makes up for it in the awsome game play and the enormous map.
    The AI in the game is something that disgracing the game.
    In most of the time when you don't want to be discovered,you just crouch and no one see you even if he looks right at you.
    Now we got to the game biggest disadvantage,the abnormal amount of bugs.
    There are so much bugs,that sometimes you can't keep playing the game until you solve the problem with other patches and updates,Bethesda,why do you so harry to release the game before you checks that there are no problems like that in the game?
    today there are a lot of updates that solve most of the bugs but still the game isn't clean of bugs.
    I believe that the people that read this already know the story,yet I will tell the story shortly.
    Your figure caught while he tried to enter to the kingdom of skyrim.
    Whe soldiers of the imperials trying to execute you,a huge,black dragon called alduin destroys the city and you success run away,and from there the story keeps going on,there is a giant riot in all of the big cities in skyrim because of the return of the dragons,it appears that you are the dragonborn,a man with blood and soul of the dragon,and the only one who can destroy alduin the son of the first dragon,that brings to life the dragons.
    The main story is so not reliable,you are the hero that supposed to save the world,and instead be treated like god or even king,you treated like a simple citizen and even less.
    the story of the game had such a large potential to be the best story of the year,and Bethesda missed it.
    In summery,this is the best RPG game that ever made,but with some more investment it could be the best-selling game!
  7. Dec 24, 2012
    This game mostly just made me miss Morrowind. If you play a heavily modded skyrim I believe its a lot more fun,but I never bothered with that, as it is a fair amount of work to go to just to play a game. My flatmate has spent nearly as much time trying to force the game to work with a massive string of mods as actually playing. The stories for the various guilds/factions and even the main storyline are really quite sub-par in my opinion. Main good points would be better levelling system than oblivion I guess. I honestly cannot think of anything else nice to say. Only for the easily amused. Expand
  8. May 19, 2012
    All the other Elder Scrolls and Fallout games had one main feature that is missing in Skyrim no quick select slots. Pausing the game every 5 seconds to select a item totally breaks the immersion. The reason I don't buy bio-ware games is for the same reason.
  9. May 31, 2012
    Massively overrated sandbox game with poor combat mechanics, clunky UI, bad story, uninteresting characters etc. I already knew the deal from previous TES games and was prepared for lots of modding to make it playable, but it was still too boring for me to finish.
  10. May 29, 2012
    Storytelling and quests in this game are insult to intelligence! I don' understand how people can not see this? Only thing that is big in this game is map!
  11. Jun 20, 2012
    First of all, just because I gave the game a 7 doesn't mean that Skyrim is a bad game, in fact, it is quite fun. However I just don't think it is nearly the masterpiece that Fallout 3 or Morrowind was. The mechanics are pretty poor and revolve around a "favorite" system where my bulky fingers often press the wrong buttons and I use stuff I didn't want to, this system also stops combat which kills the fluidness of the game. I wish that Bethesda had used the hotkey system they did in Morrowind. In this game I saw a lot of rehashing of things that Bethesda used in Fallout 3 and Morrowind, including items, references, and soundtracks which made me laugh. I was also disappointed in how unbalanced the classes were in this game. Warriors are horrible and pretty much useless while mages with fire magic kill just about anything hard, be it spriggans or trolls. Some enemies like the cavebear are just plain overpowered. I think perhaps the most disappointing thing in the game is that you find items according to your level. You can't just walk into a cave at level 1 and stumble upon a daedric longsword like you could in Morrowind. To me this takes away from the fun in the game. I would also like to say that this is the most buggy game I think Bethesda has ever released which was another disappointment. I did however think Skyrim was a big improvement over Oblivion as far as surroundings and storyline, but It just doesn't have the mechanics, fluidness, mystery and fun factor that Morrowind had. Expand
  12. Jul 14, 2012
    I was severely disappointed with this game, as much as I hate to say it. I bought this game hoping for an entirely new experience, a great story and game-play, but it was stunted by quite a few things. Firstly, the story was very linear and boring in terms of quests. Things like, "Go to cave X to find a clue about the whereabouts of Y." When you then go to the cave, there are a few monsters and a straight path to the end, as well as some recurring puzzles that you see in almost every major cave. The side quests are even worse, and are often just fetch quests and, "Go kill X," quests. You can join groups like the dark brotherhood, but the result is the same, boring, linear quest pattern. As for combat, most of the time is spent in the inventory switching spells, drinking potions, switching weapons, while there is little focus on the actual combat. It's no kind of fighting we haven't seen before, just make your character face the enemy, select from your wide variety of weapons, and hit the attack button. Done. Have I mentioned that the game is very slow paced? Outside of dungeons, you barely fight anything other than a bandit here and there, and on rare occasions, you will encounter a dragon. The game-play is mostly looking at your inventory and traversing large spans of land. I've never really cared much about graphics in game, but if you do, these are sub par for how much hype they received pre-release. Overall, I was very disappointed. I'll stick with BIT.TRIP and The Binding. Much more satisfying on every level. Expand
  13. Jul 16, 2012
    I would have rated this game 10/10 had it not been released with so many bugs!

story so far, I played for many hours getting my character to level 29, only to find that a patch that was supposed to fix the game, instead corrupted my saved games. Finally, I managed to get back into my save game after trying numerous suggested fixes on forums. I continued playing for a couple of days
    until all of a sudden I could no longer talk to NPCs, mine or use switches. Refusing to start a new game, I left the game for a couple of months and logged back in recently. After logging in, I received an error message that appeared on starting a new game or logging into a saved game. I went off in search of a fix and after reading numerous forum articles each with a different solution I decided to give up. After a brief period of time spent swearing at my PC, I did find a solution and finally managed to get into my save game. However, the fleeting moment of joy was replaced with yet more misery. The graphics were glitched, the game world looked like the brightness had been turned up to full and the color palette had been replaced with monochrome. After checking all my drivers were up to date and verifying the game cache, I tried logging into the game the next evening only to find it kept bombing out before reaching the main menu....

I have never had so many issues trying to play a game before and I really do want to rate it higher! However, due to the fact that I have not been able to play it for a good few months plus I have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot issues, wasting away my life..... i can't give it more than 4/10.
  14. Jul 23, 2012
    It's ok, until the next TES game comes out. Then it will be forgotten (I like to call it the "need for speed effect") by everyone. Shallow story and characters, nothing really interesting apart from the graphics.
  15. Jul 30, 2012
    I simply cannot understand all the Hype with this game and Oblivion and similar games like Mass effect 1+2.. The story is so boring and there are so many side stuff that u simply get lost past the 4-5 hours of playing it.

It's games like this that i really wanna play when i see the trailers, and then get terribly disappointed, Thank god for piratebay! Heavily Overrated boring Game
  16. Feb 15, 2013
    This game is actually very hard to place because of the enormous amount of content it got some quests are just plain boring a LOT of quests are repetitive and 95% of the time the game holds your hand while questing because it tells you where to go with a map marker so there isn't any suprise of exploring for the most part. BUT this game also got some VERY good quests and very good dlc's, I personally think Dawnguard was a very good dlc maybe a bit overpriced but the extra quest you got in it was worth it Dragonborn is even beter with a LOT more stuff to do. Modding is ofcourse also a nice addition!
    The skill system is pretty broken you can get from level 1 to 100 in some skills smithing in 10min by just crafting the same thing over and over again with mats you buy from merchants, and that's pretty stupid if you ask me, they needed to make skilling a lot longer a lot more rewarding!
    The area's in Skyrim look for 99% the same snow and mountains and the caves are pretty much ALL the same with 2 or 3 exceptions BUMMERRRR.
    Also a very stupid thing in this game is the weight system items just are too damn heavy 60 pods for a freaking chainmail?! for a mage or rogue that's like a full inventory in 3 items without potions counted.
    The graphics are pretty and the soundtrack is awesome tho!
    I give this game 7.5 out of 10! This game becomes boring after 100~ hours but those 100 hours you will have a great time!
  17. Mar 30, 2013
    Skyrim is clearly overated. The biggest fantasy of all is that Bethesda is a studio that 'knows' and 'loves' RPGs. Oblivion was A LOT MORE FUN. If you disagree go back and try it. Skyrim is a hollow shell of a game with only a single great feature: The WORLD. The rock structures the plants and the weather of Skyrim are all brilliant. The fish in the streams, the butterlies in the air. AWESOME work. well done Bethesda. Sadly its ALL DOWNHILL from there. Skyrim boasts '300' unique locations. Well its more like 4 really, all copypasted and tweaked to be 'different' but they dont feel different. You might enjoy your first draugr ruin, but running through nearly identical ruins over and over again looses its luster soon enough. And it becomes incredibly tedius before you have levelled up even your first character. Character development in this game hits NEW LOWS. For a company that is supposed to 'know and love RPGs', how can it be that with each new game levelling your character becomes more tedius and BORING. The character levelling system in this game is TERRIBLE. Choosing between 'red' 'green' or 'blue' when you level is TERRIBLE. And from the studio that 'knows and loves RPGs the magic system is also TERRIBLE. The mellee combat, hit detection, and double-wielding mellee options are all TERRIBLE! Go Bethesda! The studio may be famed as 'knowing and loving RPGs', but is an abiding mystery why they think they can create immortal games without HIRING ANY WRITERS. You got that right. Click on the credits for the game, read it and weep. When you are playing the game you might notice how dull, boring, repetive and tedious it all is. You might notice that every single quest is a pale version of something you saw before in Oblivion or Morrowind. You might awaken to the fact that the 'endless questing' is a lie, no fun at all. Check the credits to blame the writers. THERE ARE NONE. that's right. Bethesda is so hard up for money that the 3D artists who built their 4 dungeons and the 20 physical assets they dump in every single room in the land double-up as scenario writers. And if you think the side quests are bad watch out! The main quest is WORSE. it's probably the most pathetic excuse for a story dumped into a game in the last decade! It's ever worse than Fallout 3 (Which is overall a much better game than this one by the way). Not only that. This game is totally lacking in terms of the kinds of magical or legendary items we usually associate with RPGs. The only vaguely interesting items to find are tied into the Daedric Quests. These quests are an assorted grab bag of sheer nihilism and ammoral garbage which will demand you please the 'whims of the gods, doing such role playing classics as eating human flesh and murdering strangers in order to get the blessings of the god'. Nice work Bethesda! (NOT!) So if you can endure a dreadful character system, boring combat, boring 'adventures, terrible magic, non-existant plots, a game that in all areas is inferior to both Morrowind and Oblivion, I guess Skyrim is Ok. It has its moments, roaming, watching sunsets, catching butterflies, of fishing by hand in the cool clear streams. I truly wonder at user reviews that give this game 10/10 scores. presumably these are all written on the initial wonder, before 40 hours have passed. Before they have accumulated 300,000 gold with nothing you need or CAN buy, or learned how to make every potion under the sun, only to find that they NEVER EVER need to use even one potion, or while they are trying various wield options before realising that most of them suck, and settled on playing sneaky archer, which is the only really viable build (SIGH). When you play this game to maximum level it reveals itself as a soul-less, empty, hollow lonely, terminally BORING, joyless affair. There is not a single likeable NPC in the game. No kind of interesting interaction with any of the puppet-like characters in the game. There is no main plot, no compelling sidequest, nothing memorable at all. Only some sunsets, some bug-catching and then tedium as you waste dozens of hours unlocking dragon shouts that you never even need to use. All this in a crappy port with the worst UI ever put on a PC. Bethesda do NOT know and love RPGs. Bethesda are cheap skates who cut corners, build huge worlds and fill them with copy-pasted tedium and FILLER. The high scores for this game are wishful thinking, tinged with nostalgia, and appreciation for all the good things Bethesda have done over the years. Bethesda needs to know the ways this game is NOT GOOD. They have to understand the way it fails. They can and should do a LOT better than this. Giving this game a 10/10 is a really big mistake because that only encourages more of the same. Wake up people, believe me. You do NOT want more of THIS! Expand
  18. Apr 4, 2013
    At the moment of writing this I have over 86 hours played in this game and still I'm not even near 50% of completion. Dragons, swords, bows, magic, being the chosen one in a land full of mistery, I mean, what else do you need in a game? The gameplay is perfect, the graphics are gorgeous except for the ocassional shadow glitch, but nothing you can't fix with a mod and it has Steam Workshop for easy mod installation to make it even longer and better and prettier.

Each DLC is worth every single cent, because it expands the gameplay A LOT, and by A LOT, take my word, I mean several hours more for you to waste on this game. Even though it has the bugs you can expect in a game developed by Bethesda and yes, there are lots of bugs and glitches you DON'T EVEN CARE because THE GAME IS SO AWESOME you'll not be paying attention to the bugs.

A giant map, literally thousands of quests to do, skills to master, monsters to kill, books to read, dragons to slay, spells to learn, and places to explore, from dungeons to towns, a lot of replayability believe me, you won't finish this game with only one character, you will be creating several to choose every single side possible in each conflict and making each choice you can to learn the whole story a magnificent lore, and the amount of mods available, make this game along with its DLCs and expansions one of the BEST GAMES EVER and a MUST BUY, from casual to hardcore gamers.
  19. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A poorly thought out and written main story is the thing that killed this game for me. Kill a dragon get a point for voice stuff and only voice stuff....... Read a scroll for the storyline and get a point or have someone teach it to you......
    Overall a game that could have been good if they had invested in hiring a decent writer.....
  20. Nov 24, 2011
    this game is great. i mean, don't get me wrong, it's far from perfection but it's great: the story is interesting, the graphics are good (most of the time) and it doesn't have many bugs (for bethesda's standards). exploring skyrim is simply fantastic, going through woods, finding caves, towns, side quests. simply amazing how HUGE this game is, it takes hours to explore the whole game world. the soundtrack is also kick ass. fighting dragons is fun, and most fights provide a good challenge even on normal difficulty. i also love how they didn't use the usual point-and-click controls typical to rpgs like wow, dragon age, etc., IMHO, those are the worst controls ever. speaking of control, skyrim has a huge defect: it has no quick keys. seriously? even console ports like mass effect have them! it's a waste of time that i have to go through my whole inventory or favourite list just to use a potion or change weapon/spell! another drawback typical to most rpgs is that you can accept quests and start playing them with no clue that your character is not enough skilled to complete the quest: that's a real pain in the ass, you can literally go fight dragons with a level 1 character, and get killed in 2 microseconds. most of the times, of course you have no idea what you're gonna fight, it's like "can you get my sword back?", and then the cave has bears, trolls and giants in it.
    in conclusion, i'd give this game a 8.5, rounded up to a more realistic 9 because the good aspects of this game really compensate the bad ones
  21. Nov 13, 2011
    While I could ramble about how ridiculous certain "reviewers" are being, I'll simply state my opinion. Skyrim is essentially exactly what I wanted from the next installment in The Elder Scrolls series. What exactly dictates that? Basically, a polished, improved Oblivion. Being a huge fan of Oblivion, this game is pinpoint accurate on returning to the formula I love, while also sprucing it up, and adding more in. To start, those who say this isn't a visually appealing game is diminishing two factors.; the first that it is certainly a step above Oblivion, and that it is a role playing game. While playing, I have all the details on Ultra, and I'm running it at a constant 60 frames per second. Needless to say, it looks fantastic. Even out of the context of it being a role playing game, it still looks great! People simply look for anything to pile onto their rage-reviews. Next, the sound. At first, I was skeptical about the new soundtrack Jeremy Soule laid out for me. I was a huge fan of Oblivion's soundtrack, so Skyrim's soundtrack was important to me from the introduction. While initially I wasn't too impressed, it definitely hit perfectly after the first few hours. The Nordic choruses, the compelling drums, the serene tavern backdrops, it does just as Oblivion did. It creates a soundtrack that handsomely compliments the immersion factor of the world around you. I suggest that anyone who appreciates a good musical score to edit your audio values, and turn the "music" bar up a notch; it truly makes the gameplay better. Lastly, the combat system that lets your dethrone dragons, and bash in skulls of unsuspecting (or foolish) bandits, and the like. Bethesda outdid themselves when it comes to innovating their combat system. While I enjoyed Oblivion, the fighting was robotic, and repetitive. Quite opposite of its older brother, Skyrim redefines how you take down your foes, or friendly citizens (yes, we all occasionally go on questionable rampages when we get new weapons.) From finishing moves, to spell casting that isn't sluggish, the new combat system is perfect for Skyrim. Casting fire while swinging with an enchanted sword is satisfying, to say the least.

While I could continue to write an explicit review, I'll stop myself, and end with this. Skyrim is undoubtedly a role playing game experience all fans should experience. While it sticks to the same formula while revamping itself all the while, why should that be a bad thing? If you loved Oblivion, you'll adore Skyrim. (This isn't a console port either, people just love to whine. The controls are just fine, and the visuals are a half step above consoles.)
  22. Mar 16, 2013
    The series improved the melee combat system but retained lots of the flaws from oblivion. Using magic is no fun in this game, the main story isnt just that interesting, stealth feels broken because of dumb npc's, your actions dont have that much influence in the game world. Interface is an insult to PC gamers. Every dungeon looks the same and many more flaws.

It still is a fun
    sandbox-RPG world to explore with splendid visuals, and a more raw, realistic feeling environment. And the mod support is incredible. Expand
  23. Dec 8, 2011
    Incremental improvement on Oblivion. I've had no game killing bugs, but a few crashes which is better than any other Bethesda game I've played. Grind, grind, grind is the name of the game. Flat main quest line that offers little in the way of re-playability. Addicting, yes. Engaging, no.
  24. Feb 12, 2012
    Overwhelming in its depth and value. Bethesda have really topped themselves: this is the best in the series so far and I never seem to have enough time to play through this fantastic game. It's a required purchase for anyone who considered themselves any kind of gamer: be prepared to be floored by the sheer depth of this game. It truly is unrivaled, even by its predecessors.
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    At its core, this game is absolutely fantastic. The amount of content available to the player is staggering, I'm about 11 hours in and feel like I haven't even began to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a perfect 10 is that the graphics notably suffer from having to accommodate consoles, most noticeably in the character shadows (which appear very pixelated up close, even on ultra-high settings). The way the menu is set up reeks of lazy console port as well, but it's easy enough to get used to after awhile. Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2011
    So far I've played Skyrim for 38 hours. So far I've been completely seduced by game. The quests are great and Skyrim is a marvelous addition to the series. In my opinion Skyrim is worth every penny, if you like the series, Skyrim is definitely a must.
    Even though the game is quite buggy, but which game doesn't have bugs? And I bet Bethesda would do anything to solve them and maybe even
    further improve it.
    They did a really good job working the engine to give Skyrim a great look, but they also managed to get it running on low spec computers. I run Skyrim on High graphics with an Macbook Pro (I use it for study but who can blame me for having the need to play Skyrim) from last year with Bootcamp with high fps rate. For me the graphics are the only thing which could have been better, but since I give a damn about graphics it doesn't matter at all.
    To all the reviewer giving Skyrim a bad review have proberbly neither played the game for longer then 10 hours or if they had they only **** about the graphics and the bugs. Of course they can't put all their resources on graphics if they unless they want their storyline to be as boring as any other FPS' like BF3 and MW3, which used all their resources on the graphic and left a single player campaign even worse ever. Not only did they get a great storyline but also made Skyrim into a nice piece of art. Not only do they give you the feeling that you are a Viking running around raping people and bashing skulls. But the environment will put you in awe. Never before has Tamriel looked so great as in Skyrim.
  27. Dec 12, 2011
    Opinion after 250+ hours. Bethesda's pursuit of freedom is admirable, and this is the best world created to date; but it naturally comes at the cost of a cohesive narrative. If you want great story & characters, better to play a more traditional RPG. Or better still, read a book. 60,000 lines of dialogue in Skyrim, but still not enough :). If you're about to play this for the first time, make sure you check the 'Skyrim Nexus' and browse it's 2700+ mods (amended UI, better textures), and I suggest a mod that stops NPC's from clamoring to spout their life-story (no NPC greetings). Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2011
    Huge and beautiful. Engaging and mesmerizing. The amount of content and replayability is off the charts. If you've played Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas, then you have a pretty good idea what to expect as far as game mechanics are concerned. UI is pretty much identical to the Fallout games. Inventory is a little clunky, but doesn't take long before you're on auto-pilot with it and other game controls and just enjoying the game. As awesome and in-depth RPG as you will ever play IN YOUR LIFE. Just buy it and enjoy the game. I'd ignore the nay-sayers who seem more interesting in showing off their "zero" score and going out of their way to find and bemoan the slightest, insignificant defects while overlooking the gaming experience in its entirety. Expand
  29. Nov 14, 2011
    An overwhelmingly wonderful installment to the Elder Scrolls series. While playing, the player will delve into stunning graphics, engaging quests and relationships, incredible architecture, and a refined combat system built to impress. This is not to say that there were no issues, as there were. NPCs move strangely, voices don't always line up with mouth movements, and crashes to desktop happen. As it has become the industry norm to release unrefined games, Skyrim is no exception. However, it is one of the best unrefined games released to date. 9/10 Expand
  30. Nov 12, 2011
    NOT RUINED BY CONSOLE PORT!!! There, got that out of the way :P

Skyrim, thus far, has been fantastic. The world is quite memorable, that include everything from the characters the monsters and the dungeons and cities... everything is a fantasy escapists dream. What Bethesda promised they delivered. That said, there are some technical bugs but honestly nothing game breaking. This is one of
    the smoothest releases Bethesda has had. While there was virtually no work done to the UI to take advantage of the PC version, there are only a few things I dislike about it really. For one, how about a means to change what the "menu" keys are (such as using SPACE rather than ENTER, which would seem easier to me)? Does that mean Bethesda spent no effort making it work? Hardly, it all works quite well and even smoother than one might anticipate with a little getting used to. Ah well, -1 point for a few silly bugs and SOME odd key assignments when navigating the UI, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this game and I haven't the heart to give it anything less than 10! Great work Bethesda, can't wait to see what's next for Skyrim :) Expand
  31. Nov 12, 2011
    Graphics look good, including animations. Voice acting is pretty good. The landscape, unless you're on top of a mountain looking down onto the flatter areas, is magnificent and a huge improvement over the copy and paste job from Oblivion. The crafting/enchanting systems are a welcome edition and add a new dimension for those who want to focus on the merchant end of the game. One of the big horrifying problems though is the obviously built for consoles user interface. It's like a nightmarish laggy iTunes inspired inventory where 5000 songs are spread over only 10 album/artists. Oh, and you can't switch to album view. The worst part is, I don't know if mod tools can fix it. I feel like the UI is a big part of a game since it's basically your window into all of your game interactions. Considering you're going to be using it throughout the ENTIRE game more effort ought to be put into it.

Sure, there is some hotkey support such as pressing 'm' for the map, 'j' for the quest log and being able to pull up a favorites list with 'q'. But it all feels really tacked on. The mouse can pick items in the inventory as you'd expect but the way that the items are presented makes using the mouse feel like you're using one of those extendo-grabber-clow things to pick up a coke can. If a mod that basically presents row/columns of multiple items instead of just one GIANT screen hogging 3D render of an item and allows you to select them through that comes out, this game can be marked for finished.
  32. Nov 12, 2011
    Skyrim...An amazing open world non-linear dragon slaying NPC mudering bundle of enjoyment. This, is quite possibly the best elder scrolls game so far. Ruined only by the occasional bug or two which will most likely be patched and fixed. Great story, the dragon fights are amazing, and randomly scripted events. I had to muster allot of effort to rip myself away from it long enough to get some food. Buy it, Dovahkiin commands you! Expand
  33. Jul 18, 2012
    With all the hype and the great experience with Fallout 3, I was expecting a lot more from this title. It is not a bad game, but rather has many flaws that keep it from being a great game. As mentioned by others, the menu system was obviously designed for console games, making it tedious to navigate with a mouse. Also, even when your mouse is over the menu item you want, it often selects the one above or below it, or even the last item selected. So be prepared to hear the same dialogue again from an NPC after the game misinterprets your mouse click (you can skip, but still annoying).

There are some common bugs, such hearing NPCs talk who have since left the room...seeing a mamoth flying 200 feet up into the sky...some animals falling through the map.

I also do not feel the leveling up really makes your character any stronger...there are many skills to spend your level up points in, but I feel there are too many and you can never really develop many of them... Magic feels week no matter how high you level up and where are the shortcut keys to switch weapons and spells? Very tiring to go back to the menu each time you want to change weapons or spells.

That being said, it is a wide open world with decent graphics and interesting life. Wait for it to drop to $20 or below.

While the crafting of items in fallout 3 was largely ancillary to the overall game play (as you can get through the game without too much difficulty without making much), I feel it is more of a requirement in Skyrim. This is a pain the the rear, as I feel the need to constantly be looking for crap in the world for crafting, rather than

The number of items for use in crafting, especially for potions is numerous, nearing obsuridty
  34. Nov 11, 2011
    I can't defend this game from not getting some decent updates in a couple areas , mainly UI but most of the negative complaints are simply untrue. The graphics are in fact great and the game runs really smooth on Ultra, but I'm sure if you have an older system you won't see it that way. If you played the game for an hour, you didn't see enough of it to get past the part where it's NOT just Oblivion reskinned. You can in fact hotkey things directly from favorites and even choose which hand they are assigned to. I NEVER have to go into the menus unless I level up or switch gear out for something better/preferred. Game is completely stable and outside of a few wonky textures and the same logic problems I find in every single game, I'm enjoying myself. More of the same? Please let me know when you are playing a truly original game in this generation of games. Oh.. and another thing. All the people crying about this game being too console like will change their song in a few months when mods start coming out. Give it a year or more and the praise will be universal that PC is the way to go. Expand
  35. Nov 11, 2011
    (first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the previous games they'll realize it is for the better.

Overall its a dam good game. If you don't like morrowind or oblivion then you won't like this game since free form RPGs probably aren't your thing so you should probably play something quite linear like the witcher 1 or 2. If you do like the previous games you may first feel a little upset with a few of the minor changes but once you realize why there in there you'll notice it does in fact provide a better game play experience. The vast majority of people having graphical problems are either on PS3 or very low end systems. There are a few crashes but for me at least they are rare (every 3 hours or so) and it is very quick to get back into the game. But with the quality Bethesda provides with all their games there is no doubt that patches will be released to tweak these problems and they don't impact on the games fun factor at all.

The graphics are very nice and up there with any other fantasy setting game around and a nice upgrade over previous titles (I only compare with fantasy games as realism in graphics isn't the style they generally go for, meaning it is ridiculous and idiotic to compare graphics between this and battlefield 3 as the graphical styles are completely different, however it can be compared with The Witcher 2 and is probably equal though a little better than it in graphic wise).

All of the complaints about the graphics I've seen are more because they dislike the graphical style (fantasy with a very slightly cartoon appearance) but the graphics are actually really nice. Of course the PS3 version of the game has graphical glitches, but that is more difficulty issues with the PS3 architecture than anything else. I haven't had any major graphical problems over 3 different PC setups and it all runs very smoothly. The only poorer aspect of the graphics from me is perhaps the particle effects for some of the fire effects but its a moot point and as a graphics programmer I can be a little picky there. The only major glitches I've seen are to do with animation transitions but again its kind of moot and doesn't break the immersion of the game.

The AI path-finding also seems to have undergone an overhaul for the better. The AI is very good at navigating the game world and even in the few instances when it gets stuck it sorts itself out very quickly. There is still the problem of being able to trick it by placing yourself in a position it can't get too (such as on a cliff) and shooting it from afar, but that is really kind of cheating anyway and is an AI problem that will always be around for these games (other games get around it by simply preventing the player from moving to those locations, they can't do that in elder scrolls as it goes against their design philosophy of being able to go anywhere).

Storyline wise the game is much better than oblivion (on par with morrowind which I enjoyed) and the voice acting throughout the game is head and shoulders above oblivion. Again with any elder scrolls game its the world and side quests that make up the meat of the game and here they don't disappoint.

The combat system that takes about 20-40 mins to an to get used to but once you do you quickly realize how much better it is. There is actually some depth to it now rather then just hack and slash like oblivion (though it did try to be different). It is much easier to get the hang of than the Witcher though. The auto leveling system is also better since like the famous MMM mods you can still run into creatures of a higher level. it good still do with some more tweaking so that less weaker creatures appear (most bandits seem to be quite low level) but it is dam fun killing them so doesn't ruin the game at all.

The gameplay has also been improved with the addition of small gameplay elements such as a crafting system, overhaul of skills (for the better), roleplaying aspects (not something I really enjoy but nice addition all the same) like chopping firewood to earn a little extra gold and many more things. I particularly like the new spell, enchantment and alchemy systems which have more depth but are simpler to play with.
  36. Nov 15, 2011
    Having racked up hundreds of hours of gameplay in both Morrowind and Oblivion I was looking forward to the release of a new Elder Scrolls game. However, as the release date got closer and they still weren't really talking about the PC version of the game, I started to get a little nervous. When the game turned up, I found that the result was mostly good...

The game itself, is fantastic.
    The world is huge and amazingly detailed. And, while you still get a fair amount of repeated dialogue from passing NPCs, it's not nearly as bad as Oblivion. The locations are quite varied and the levels of the enemies are far more balanced... you'll still run into the odd low level bandit in the higher levels while giants will continue to squish you for looking at them funny from level 1 till quite a way into the game (they're tougher than dragons!).

This is probably the first Elder Scrolls game, since Daggerfall, that I've actually WANTED to do more of the main quest! I've played Oblivion for over 200 hours and still haven't got round to doing the main quest. In fact the choices of quests can sometimes be a little overwhelming. This is certainly a game that intends to give you value for money.

Sadly, the PC version doesn't really take advantage of the platform. It's still a DirectX 9 game, so no advanced graphics features and it's still restricted to using 2Gb of RAM (although this can be 'fixed' with a mod). The UI is less that perfect, requiring a lot of necessary scrolling and clicking to find out some of the most basic information (although I rather liked the new skill page... I know a lot of people don't). It doesn't help that mouse location and clicks within the menu tend to be a little hit and miss as well. Is it something that will stop be recommending the game? No, definitely not, but it needs mentioning. Also.... press to exit out of containers (or click on the very left of the screen)... a somewhat annoying 'feature' that seems to have caught a few people out. No idea why they didn't allow to be used as well.

Already the mod scene is hard at work creating even better textures and improvements to Skyrim. Hopefully, once Bethesda release a couple of patches (and maybe a DirectX 11 update to really take advantage of the PC) it'll be worth 10 out of 10. Either way... buy it!
  37. Nov 26, 2011
    A true masterpiece, it's hard to say what RPG game will surpass it in 2012. The start is absolutely epic the build up is phenomonal once you have the world to your self, the world is alive and that's a good thing and even after you leave it, it will still feel alive that is a key point to a non-linear game and Bestheda have nailed it, The story and immersion are the things that are needed most in an RPG game and this game exceeds it, however there are a few glitches and bugs but they will eventually get fixed. DRAGONS FTW Expand
  38. Nov 16, 2011
    Oh. My. god. Where do I start? Never played any other Bethesda game apart from Oblivion, which I loved. I really only play WoW these days, occasionally. I took 8 days off work to play this, and I'm so glad I did. I'm on PC, so there are issues - I don't like the consolisation, and with it's frustrating keybinding bugs, that took ages to get my head around, but it's fine now. Apart from that, it's never bugged out on me. Also, trying to manage three different characters is practically impossible - I deal with it by having three backup save folders, and I believe there is already a mod to help this.

Those are the only downsides, everything, EVERYTHING else, is STUNNING.

The music is incredible, the sound effects are dramatic, peaceful, war-like, creepy, depending on the context, and absolutely PERFECT.

Graphics, are ASTONISHING.

As for playability, I woke at 9am to play it yesterday, didn't get breakfast until 5:35PM, I was so engrossed.

Loving the stories, the quests, the perks, the skills, the dungeons, the baddies, the NPC's, there's literally nothing that doesn't make me smile hugely. And if you check YOUTUBE anytime, you can see any number of fantastic videos, all AI, videos that would be scripted cut-scenes on other games.

As for the dragons, I damn near crapped myself. :)

Skyrim is a MASTERPIECE.
  39. Nov 30, 2011
    I was sitting around last night and I finally realized why I like Skyrim so much. It reminds me of backpacking. You don't go backpacking to win the war or save the damsel; you go to wander the countryside and see the sites and pick up cool sticks. Skyrim realizes this goal better than any other game, period. There are three reasons why: quests, dungeons, and the visuals. The quest structure is loose enough to give you freedom but well written enough to inspire you to continue. I love getting the push out the door to go to place X, but not being punished if I get sidetracked to place Y. The dungeon structure is incredible. There is a slight amount of similarity simply to retain realism, but each dungeon I've been in is dramatically different than others. Long gone are the cookie cutter aelid(?) ruins and gateworlds of Oblivion. The variety is simply stunning. Finally, the visuals are great. Not just good, and not super-fantastic, but well done indeed. More than the simple graphical rendering is the way Bethesda realized the world and the ecosystems. All you need to do is watch Planet Earth to grasp that "tundra" does not equal "barren wasteland," and the designers have created a vibrant land that does Northern Europe proud. Along the same lines is the cultural ambience of Skyrim. There is racism and tension over who should rule the land, and both come off as very real. Some of the comments by the peasantry is a little goofy, but do yourself a favor and listen to the jarls talking with their minions. Absolutely stunning dialouge. Now, to the more generic topics... Combat is well done. It seems to me that combat in Skyrim is as interesting as you want to make it. Want to be a guy w/ heavy armor and no mobility that can take it and blast it? Go ahead. Want to be the guy (me) who dances around in combat? Want to snipe? Want to... You get the idea. My advice is to pick the play style you like, though. Skyrim will let you do whatever you want, but if that bores you, it doesn't care... The sound also deserves mention. A pro reviewer (sorry for the lack of the cite!) said something along the lines of "when a dragon lands on you and the soundtrack starts playing, you WILL pee your pants." Man were they right. Mute the sound, meh, another fight. Have the music and flame effects blaring and your begin to appreciate why games are called multimedia... (Side note: I've got the song running through my head as I write this. Nice...) Finally on my list of total awesomeness is the load times. I'm playing on a laptop w/ decent specs, and this game runs on High visuals and almost NO load times. I'm talking 5 seconds tops. For such a huge world that looks great, this is flat out unbeliveable. In fact, it essentially nullifies my biggest gripe, which is......... CRASHES! Yep, they're there, but because I can reboot the game and get back to playing in 30 seconds flat, it much easier to treat them as a reminder to move around in real life than as game breaking issues. My second biggest gripe is the lack of, hmmm, how about epicness with regards to the supposedly high-level characters in the game. If you're one of the top dogs in the Companions, why are you dressed in steel armor and not Ebony? Why aren't the jarls weilding souped up versions of weapons? "So you can't get their stuff early" just doesn't seem good enough. Bethesda, try a little harder next time, please. To be fair, though, the rest of the world levels MUCH better and more realistically than in Oblivion/Fallout 3. Lastly, this game really shouldn't win any awards for storylines. This isn't really a slam, because they are nice enough, but a Witcher 2/Mass Effect/Dragon Age this is not. If you're SOLELY in a game for the storyline, you might wait a bit for this one. Or not, and read the tons of books lying around in the game... Lastly, I'd like to make a comment about the PC interface: I can't comment. I went into the game knowing I'd be playing with a controller, and it's quite well done (plus you can still quicksave on the keyboard! Yay!) If you're dead set on using a mouse/keyboard, just remember to check the modding community; they've got some nice fixes. All in all, this game is the best exploration/open world game to date. It is freedom, exploration, and fun bundled up and delivered to your computer. Enjoy the hike! Expand
  40. Nov 22, 2011
    Wow! This is a fantastic game, and there's so much content! The quests are entertaining, the world is beautiful, what more could you ask for? I honestly think I'll need to play the game 2-3 times in order to experience all of the content.
  41. Nov 15, 2011
    One of the greatest games of all time. Takes a crap on both Oblivion & Morrowind. It is what Oblivion wished it was. With all the improvements and added content that Oblivion left out. Skyrim is a complete game.
  42. Nov 13, 2011
    Fantastic~!!!! Great Graphics(ultra of course). Amazing story with an almost unlimited amount to do and see. I have been playing for a few days it just keeps getting better. The side quests are original and fun with twists and turns~! I am a die hard RPG guy and this might beat my favorite all time; Baldur's Gate, for the new best game title~! Well done Bethesda. Well done.
  43. Nov 12, 2011
    The aren't enough words to describe this game. When Bethesda develops a game, one should expect bugs, glitches, broken mechanics and some minor combat issues; problems that are present in Skyrim as well, but don't even come close to ruining the experience. The land is beautiful, with a lot of detail and bettered by a superb soundtrack that manages to touch your heart. There are some ugly textures and some colours are drab and monochrome, but that doesn't affect too much. I'm not even going to talk about the rest of the game, so speechless I am. Expand
  44. Nov 29, 2011
    elder scrolls. It returns with a big bang! its a massive world with amazing graphics and stunning storyline and side quest content. The fighting in this feels less clunky then oblivion did. And unlike morrowind and oblivion the world feels more alive. It feels like your not in a small world with tons of robots to talk to. The conversations flow more fluienty and the physics is improved immensly. You might be thinking about the crafting system and think 'I DONT WANT TO MESS AROUND DOING CRAFTS I WANT TO FIGHT!!! ARTS AND CRAFTS ARE FOR GIRLS' well thats true to an extent. but the crafting system is very entertaining and can be exiting... for example you may have just found a deadra heart to make your first deadric weapon or armor peice. And another great part of the game are the perks. when you level up it is such a great feeling that you get to pick a perk. just like fallout. You can also get MARRIED!!!! getting married is suprisingly intense. more so than fighting a dragon. BUT the most important thing about the game for me is this: After you finish the main quest. You will feel like you beat the game. And that even though you still have like 1000000000000000 quests you feel like they are just errand boi quests.... well... The truth is that the main quest is one of the SMALLEST parts of the game! EVEN after you finish the FACTION QUESTS (Dark brotherhood theives guild ect.) There are MASSIVE side quests. You can go out and explore a abandoned house to find it has a deadric gods spirit that will offer you a powerful mace if you go to the mounatins and find a mage trapped by a large group of bandits and after 10 failed attempts to defeat the bandits you use Call Dragon dragon shout and KILL THEM ALL!!!! AND THERE ARE LIKE a BAZZILIONNN more quests like that!!! ITS THE FREAKIN GREATEST GAME EVER!!! Expand
  45. Nov 11, 2011
    Although the graphical capabilities of the engine used in the game are quite lacklustre especially in in terms of certain textures, the feel and atmosphere of the game is spot on. So much detail has gone into the game, and the quests feel handcrafted to me for the majority. I can't think of any other games which have more handcrafted quests. Of course the randomly generated kill bandit leader ones are quite bland. The music is absolute top standard, and the game is very stable. Just about every single one of my steam friends is playing this game, and I'm hearing of a small number of crashes but that is it. I'm thinking some of the people facing graphical issues probably haven't updated their drivers. I'm happy to for people to have different opinions to me regarding this game but some of the people giving low ratings are absolute morons. The game does have a console feel to it at times, but one person complained that you can't assign numbers to items. This is absolute bullcrap as I have all my number key assigns to weapons and spells, and it's pretty sad that people are rating the game lower just because they are a bloody dumbarse that can't even work out the controls! Expand
  46. May 8, 2012
    Some of the game is excellent, some is ok, some is quite bad.

The good: World design. The world is huge, detailed (it even has ants) and beautiful. It is well worth the effort to walk the world of Skyrim from end to end in every direction. This is where the game really shines. Lots of places to exlore. There are hundreds of locations in the game. Most with their own small story.

Sadly this is where the good ends...
    The OK:
    While the story is not too horrible, it is not great either. It didn't engage me. It doesn't stand any comparison with Witcher series. But overall main, side quests make sense.

The bad:
    Skill system. Bad, bad, bad. The idea behind Elder Scrolls series is an original one compared to your average RPG (quests->XP->level up->skills). In Skyrim you level up by using your skills. Completing quests doesn't earn any XP. Skills level very slowly. After 80 hours of playing I only have one of the skills maxed out to 100. Overall leveling a skill is long, boring and tedious work that involves a lot of grinding and/or using exploits (that are abundant in the game). Good news is that you donâ
  47. Nov 13, 2011
    Competing with nostalgia-rich classics of the genre, critically acclaimed "hardcore" offerings, deep PnP style multiplayer RPGs as well as Oblivion and the (superior) Morrowind before it, Skyrim still comes out on top to become the best game I've ever played.

It combines the vast explorability and intoxicating atmosphere of Morrowind with the eminent playability of Oblivion, and turns
    the art style, world design, voice acting, story and most everything else up to 11 to create an almost perfect high fantasy/sword & sorcery RPG experience.

Visuals: 9.5/10
    Audio: 10/10
    Gameplay: 10/10
    Story/Quest Gameplay: 10/10
    RPG Mechanics/Design: 9/10
    Content/Scope: 10/10

Overall: 10/10
  48. Nov 12, 2011
    Best RPG of the year. Nuff' Said. This game will eat away your life; I couldn't even keep track of time while I was playing lol.
  49. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is Morrowind revisited. Adventuring, exploration and discovery are back on the menu! Truck loads of love have been poured into this game. The attention to detail, the haunting music, and the ever increasing depth of the game are but the tip of a magical and mysterious mountain. Bethesda are the masters of the RPG genre.
  50. Nov 12, 2011
    Most of the complaints people here are spouting out don't really seem to be justified (or accurate). Yes, Skyrim has some bugs but not nearly enough to take you out of the game experience. Due to the shear scope of games today, bugs are bound to happen but at least Bethesda will patch them and if not, the modding community is huge. It works perfectly on my PC and I've had very little issues in terms of game bugs. The graphics are good and the environment is great. After spending over 15 hours playing, I can safely say I spent my money wisely. Expand
  51. Nov 24, 2011
    Best game in many years, it's absolutely amazing. so damn safetying to hunt down dragons and exploring dungeons. Played 86 hours so far. 10 of 10. Hail Sithis!
  52. Nov 14, 2011
    Amazing game if you're a fan of Oblivion and Fallout 3. This is a huge immersive world. Love the new art style, UI design and perks. Very addicting gameplay.
  53. Nov 12, 2011
    I want to write something here, but that means taking the time to do so... So I will just say this: Buy the game yesterday, play it, and see what the rest of us sees aswell. This game is amazing.
  54. Nov 16, 2011
    Hurray! The next Elder's Scrolls is here. Too bad is a shameless port, using a dated graphic engine, sold to gullible PC users as the holy-grail of single-player RPGs. * Game is better than Oblivion but has plenty of CTDs (crashes to desktop) quest bugs, audio-bugs, and numerous graphic-glitches. * This 2012 title is DX9 only, renders horrible shadows (not GPU-accelerated), has no Occlusion Mapping, and LOW-Textures up-close. (The Withcer 2 is ages ahead !!!) * The UI (interface) is simplified in detriment to functionality and what should take 2 clicks takes 11.
    * Gameplay-wise is nice to have so much to do (smithing, mining etc). It was expected that all MetaCritic indexed sites to give it 100%, 5/5, all the praise. Most of them never even played the PC version, basing the review on XBox360 review copies. Go see the offcial forums in the PC section to read up on all the "praise" - There isn't one HAPPY review - NOT ONE !!!. It is sad to see how the big-boys get a free pass on a 50 EUR (yes, here in Europe is ~70 $ USD) for a PC (Steam-only) game that is far from perfect. It's still a great RPG just not so far from Fallout 3, and for a me a let-down. Please DON'T BUY this NOW, wait for it to get a GOTY edition, some patches and then maybe 30 EUR would be fair.
  55. Nov 17, 2011
    I'm not gunna lie, this game is amazing, brilliant, outstanding, a masterpiece. I'm only filling the rest up because i need one hundred and fifty characters.
  56. Nov 13, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a triumph. Bethesda's magnum opus and the new benchmark for action RPG's in terms of size, scope, scale, and story. There's a lot to love here. Bethesda managed to take its signature, addicting, open world style of game play and refine it to near perfection. There is a massive amount content here. So much so, it's staggering. I find myself talking to everybody I meet to obtain new things to do, and even if they have nothing for me, a lot of the time they will add their own unique insight into the events and happenings in the world. This makes the world feel alive and lived in. Quests for the most part, are fun, interesting, and will easily distract you from the main story line in a numerous amount of wonderful ways. I won't list any spoilers here, but it's advisable to partake in these, even if the task seems trivial. The game starts off interestingly enough and it's immediately more engaging than the previous title. While I loved Oblivion, I found the first hour or two of the game to be relatively boring and painful. In fact, i had to pick it up and start over several times over a period of months before I finally got into the game. Again, I won't provide any spoilers, but it's much more engaging and vastly more interesting. I'm about 50 hours into the experience and I've not wanted to put down my controller.

Controller? PC? Rly? Why you ask? Well, it's simple. The game was designed for consoles. It's a simple fact, though this isn't a bad thing. I'll touch more on this later, but the new UI is beautiful, responsive and easy to access with a controller. Important information, for the most part, is easy to access and your treated to absolutely stunning 3D models of available armor, weapons, items, etc. Everything can be examined in real time front to back and there are tons of beautiful details to gorge yourself on. The gameplay is heavily revamped in this time around and there are a few new ways to enjoy combat here. The most notable being the ability to dual wield weapons. Yes, dual wield. This can be a combination of weapon and magic, or weapon weapon. I won't go into a lot of detail on this as it pretty much speaks for itself, but imagine being able to stream a wall of fire at your target, then close in to finish him off with an axe to the head. It's a load of fun. Each weapon can be triggered independently or together to have a cumulative effect which is substantially more powerful. Swordplay this time around feels much more engaging and is vastly more brutal. The finishing moves are also a nice touch, but seem to happen only at random. In other words, you will WANT to get up close in personal with your targets.

Now lets talk about the visuals. Bethesda revamped the entire visual style of the series the results are absolutely stunning. The attention to detail within the world of Skyrim is absolutely insane, setting a new benchmark for the genre visually. From the clouds swirling the mountain tops, the wind blowing freshly falling snow from the ground, and the amazing texture work, there is a lot to take in visually here and I found myself examining everything. In fact, the world looks so good that it's almost distracting. Those who have already made the 7,000 step hike to the top of The Throat of the World will agree with me here. The world of Skyrim is cold, jagged, and harsh....yet Bethesda managed to make such an unsettling place a thing of beauty. Even this said, there is plenty of variety in the environments to keep things from becoming stale.

Character models have been vastly improved and look amazing. Gone are the days of strange looking faces and awkwardly designed characters. Character animations could still use a bit of work, but for the most part they're superior to that of what was seen in Oblivion. The flow of time is greatly improved as well. NPC interact with themselves fluidly without many awkward pauses in their speech. Additionally, the world does not come to a halt when you talk to an NPC. This was a huge annoyance to me in Oblivion and took away from the overall immersion in the world.

The game is not without its flaws though and I wish I had more space to get into these, but there's nothing game breaking here. The UI is awkward if you use a keyboard and there are various bugs in the world such as wobbling plates plates on tables that should be stationary, slow transitions after brawls with NPC, and a few other things, but nothing severe. I also wish that weapons didn't seem to "bounce" off of a target when you swing.

Skyrim is a masterpiece. It's not a game, It's an experience. One that will easily take several hundred hours of your life. There's a lot I've not touched here such as customization of your character, but trust me...there's a lot to love here. Bethesda has not only set a new benchmark for itself, but for all open world games as a medium.
  57. Nov 27, 2011
    Anybody who gives this game more than 7.5 isn't looking at Skyrim objectively or they know nothing about RPG's in general.

Skyrim is a beautiful, full world. There are plenty of quests to do, people to meet, and dragons to kill. However, none of it is really innovative. Other than dragons Skyrim doesn't really add anything new to the Oblivion formula. Just about everything that made
    Oblivion good is there, and not much else.

The graphics are beautiful, the game-play is smooth for the most part, the dialogue and voice acting are top notch (even if voice actors are reused ad naseum). Sadly the game has a serious number of little flaws that, when added together, really make Skyrim and overall disappointment.

Starting with the interface. Definitely developed with consoles in mind. For PC users it's slow, clunky, and just plain bad. Even using my 360 controller with the PC version of the game it's just not right. This is probably why I don't own a console, this minimalistic design scheme is weak and uninspired.

The interface is most troubling because it gets in the way of the meat of of any RPG; combat. You'll often find find yourself accessing the inventory several times through combat to change spells, or drink potions, or switch from dual wield to weapon and shield. Even with the "favorites" button which can cut time navigating the menus it still becomes an annoyance breaking up the flow of a particular battle and ruining the overall experience.

Moving on to keyboard controls they are just plain screwed it up. Even after the patch I cannot make my own custom keyboard setup as the game fails to save any of the changes I make. And the default controls are a mess. They could have taken some hints from some of the modern day standards instead of screwing it up just to be different. Different isn't always better.

The level and skill advancement hasn't changed much from Oblivion, except now you can choose various perks from high skill levels that used to be automatically assigned as you progressed in Oblivion. The spells and skill selection hasn't changed much (if at all) which is also disappointing.

Combat is action oriented hack and slash where your skill with the keyboard (or controller) is more important than your character stats. As everything you face will be tailored to your level you will, for the most part, never find anything too hard or too easy if you approach the encounter right.. Honestly, I think my characters skill with a bow should be more important than my skill of aiming the bow for him. While it's a standard for action RPG's it lessens character development.

You will find tho that making a character to your play style will be pretty easy. The balance and difference between various play styles is well done and feel quite different for the most part, requiring different strategies for encounters. Mages, warriors, rogues, and rogue-mages, and warrior mages all feel independent of each other. This is perhaps the highlight of the game mechanics.

The biggest disappointment of this game is Bethesda's promise of certain things that they failed to achieve. One was the "alieness" you felt in Morrowind. They promised players would feel like a stranger in a strange land with Skyrim, much like the unique presentation of Morrowind which was lost with the generic setting of Oblivion. Skyrim has no such sense of being unique in any way. It's more or less like one would expect an RPG set in snowy mountain regions with nordic influence.

Skyrim is a fine game. It's fun to play and it's vast. There is lots to look at and do. But it's not perfect. It's certainly better than most other open world RPG's (Gothic 3 & 4, Risen) but then so are Morrowind and Oblivion to this day. Sadly, Skyrim fails to take what Morrowind and Oblivion games us to the next level. It just gives us more of the same but with a worse interface.
  58. Nov 14, 2011
    If you're whining about this game not running or working on your PC, your computer is garbage. Go out and buy a decent computer before you downgrade this game and criticize it. I play it on full ultra, at 1920x1080, and it runs smooth like butter. Perhaps if you can't play this game you should go buy a console, instead of downgrading the metascore? I know you are frustrated and sad, but please, leave the REAL gaming to us people who can afford to play a game meant to be played on a real rig, not your crappy $400 Best Buy PC.

For real, guys, quit down-rating it because it has graphical glitches. If your computer could handle it, you'd not see them. It's your own fault for buying a junk computer.
  59. May 6, 2012
    Well, this game made with old buggy phisics engine, with old AI, have terrible gamepad-oriented interface and lots of buggy quests and scripts... But after installing plugin that adds huge boobs to every female NPC, Skyrim becomes on of the best RPGs ever! (after Morrowind ofcourse).
  60. Nov 30, 2011
    Beautiful world. Excellent graphics. Exhilarating combat. Overall, this game is simply a 10/10.
  61. Nov 21, 2011
    Ok dont get mad but i have the pc version yes its a good game but for people that have problems to even run this game or crashing like every 5 min its not and no not my pc have problems i have a high end system with 3x27 inc monitor and 2xhd5970 in crossfire and 16gb 2000mhz ram and SSD3 drive. And every other game out there have never fail to run. This game however was bugged before i even play it. I need to change my sound system to even let me run in the main menu of the game !!! ok now easy fixs easy go you will say? no the first day i was hook at it no crashing nothing just some random flicking screen glitching and some purple texture failing but well the game keeps running so fine by me. Next day and 4 days later the game crash every time when you fast traveling.!!! so i get piss and i get mad i stop playing this now i found the bug but i not going to tell you fixs it because people need to understand that a bugged game is not a game. But a crap. If the game was stable in the begin i give it a 10 for sure. But with all the bugs and crashing and anoying texture bugs i gave it a 5. Till the fixs it and repost this post with a 8 for fixsing this game. Expand
  62. Nov 22, 2011
    If it wasn't for The Witcher 2, this would definitely be Game of the Year but it has several shortcomings. The UI is definitely a console port mess, switching weapons, spells and shields during battles is often times a nightmare. You'll often get things mixed up, spells on the wrong hand, or weapon it's really a nightmare. Yes there are hotkeys but generally they don't help much when you're switching from spells to sword and boarding. Another problem is crafting is a pain, especially enchanting with the UI in place. Leveling up enchanting on weapons you've found is a pain. The level scaling system is back and it creates some odd problems. If you spent your first levels leveling up crafting trees before combat you'll often times face opponents far stronger than you because of your lack of combat skills. It's really annoying and I noticed this from the jump to 20-->30 because I spent around 5 levels crafting. It's annoying and they should really just ditch the idea, it doesn't promote exploration. It's annoying when you open a master safe and only get 12 gold. Really 12 gold for a master safe? The pros are well the skill system has been simplified now to perks on a little tree. It's simple and easier to understand than past Elder Scrolls. Dungeons have been vastly improved from Oblivion and are fun to just go exploring in for fun. Combat is a huge jump and the story is your typical DnD experience, it's predictable but your so lost in exploring you don't really care. Overall the game is great, it takes all the problems of Oblivion and fixes most, save for the annoying console UI, and I stress ANNOYING. Expand
  63. Nov 16, 2011
    What a great game. Its about time I get a game that seems pretty much complete. Only one issue with the sound and that was an easy fix. So much to do!! This is a game I will be playing a long time and will playing again I'm sure. If you.. sorry WHEN you get this game make sure you have nothing important to do for a few days as this will suck you in and keep you. Graphics are beautiful difficulty is (for me) perfect not easy and not the usual cheating AI.

If you played any of the past elder scrolls and it did didn't appeal to you (like it didn't for me) I think you will enjoy this game even more! OK I took my 10 min break back to playing!
  64. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing! A beautiful world to explore filled with people that are as real as your neighbors. Battles are fluid and satisfying with some nice kill shots thrown in. People saying the graphics are poor need to upgrade their machine. My son has a $500 laptop and the game looks beautiful on it.
  65. Nov 30, 2011
    I LOVE THIS GAME. Your review must be at least 150 characters long. Your review must be at least 150 characters long. Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  66. Nov 11, 2011
    0s, 1s and 2s, lol, you guys are high. 0! Wow, you must have some incredibly high expectations for a game experience. I've been playing since release and am loving every minute of it so far. The control scheme takes a bit to get use to, but what new game doesn't. The graphics aren't stellar high res, but fantastic eye candy nonetheless. The story is fantastic! The combat is decent and entertaining. The sheer amount of things to do is over the top. I've had 0 issues with the game, not one crash, flicker or freeze. If you dig a deep, well crafted RPG that will keep you busy for longer than you care to play, this one will definitely satisfy. Expand
  67. Nov 26, 2011
    This game has everything the rpg player want !
    I have play this game more than 130 hours on steam and i LOVE IT
    The elder scrolls is the only game that it gets better and better !
    They did what we ask they put everything we was talking about they fix everything that wasnt working good from the oblivion and now for the first time i see ppl traveling !!!
    No i am not talking about some
    hunters or some guards i am talking about ppl from ur guild (like the companions) u can spot them traveling (its a little bit hard to find them ) they go and do stuff the dragons are here and they can come to u anytime anywhere how cool is that?
    if u are low lvl or weak u need to run hide and do stuff to escape or if u are strong u can fight it u can shout to make force him to land ! and now u can be what u want to be and u can just be good at everything !! a lot of perks a lot of quest a lot of stuff to find ! ok i cant talk now i am going to play it !
  68. Nov 15, 2011
    all we can do is wish for EVERY sandbox electronic creation to be just like this GAME. beacause this is GAME. vast experience. feels like those neverwinter times when atmosphere and journey was your favourite companions.
  69. Jan 19, 2012
    Besides a few glitches that don't usually alter the main experience to much, skyrim is the best RPG I have ever played combining all the good things of The Elder Scrolls Series.
  70. Nov 30, 2011
    The time you wasted from your life for this game will not gonna be in vain. I don't play Oblivion, but I can say that this game is so much better than I expected before. I thought this game will similar like Mass Effect series, well there is some similarity, but Skyrim win by wide margin. Open world, make your own stories, pick your guild, pick either Imperial or Stormcloak, play warrior, mage, thief, archer, or hybrid, that is for you to decide.

The best RPG I've ever played in my whole life, hands down. Can't wait to see the future of this game in the hand of the modding community.
  71. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Expand
  72. Dec 12, 2011
    Whilst it's true the game still has quite a few bugs, for me they are isolated to quest bugs only as I haven't encountered anything else in the way of bugs and I've now played 120+ hours. These bugs at times are infuriating but for Skyrim's sake they don't detract from the experience at all and I still feel this game is definitely a 9.5-10. The sheer size of playable area, coupled with the amount of content to do is overwhelming at times but it's just so good! At any one time, your log is likely to have 20-30+ quests. Sheer quantity does not always translate to quality but Skyrim never transcends into the mundane thankfully. With a slew of quest bug fixes due sometime in the next month, this game is only going to get better with age, oh and as for the graphics...stunning, it's actually mindboggling how good everything can look whilst still rendering smoothly on such sheer scale. If you don't have this game and enjoy RPG's, you really shouldn't be on here, you should be playing the game! Expand
  73. Nov 12, 2011
    I've been reading through a few reviews, mostly the negative ones, and most reasons I've found has been from either their own hardware problem or hellbent determination to complain on anything that's not PC-exclusively developed or catered to the PC-group of customers. Personally I've not had any problem with the graphics. I've had one glitch and that was that a decently important dialogue went silent. The UI, I agree, feels consoly. Though I can't find any wrong with it. The only thing would be that I can't sort items based on value or weight. There's a reason that few games are specifically designed for the PC anymore, piracy. And even if piracy isn't as serious as before the reputation of the PC is ruined and won't recover for many years. The only thing I've noted so far from "PC-gamers" is that they are entirely incapable of adapting. Apart from the sorting part I find the UI to be clean and well thought through. I immediately did in Skyrim as I did in Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout, ran away as soon as I was done with the introduction. Thus far, 13 hours in, the world has not disappointed me. Been ambushed by bandits, crushed by giants, torn to pieces by sabre cats, took some poor mans armor while he was sleeping etc. My High Elf mage/archer who at times duel wield short swords, haven't had any issues with either the diffculty, which btw got 5 levels that you can change, nor with clunky stale combat. Being a mage has never been more fun. The AI is sub-par, I have to agree on. My mage could win a brawl vs an orc chief simply since the chief didn't seem to care I was fighting with one hand and healing with the other. Anyway, I forgot where I was going with this. Expand
  74. Nov 12, 2011
    i worn u last time... do not this game.

it`ll ruin u all u have and u r in,,,

like family, job, school, and ur gf.

just.. just take blue pill.. before u r late.
  75. Nov 11, 2011
    The ingame menus stop me giving this a 10, they are just a lazy effort from the devs.
    Other than that, its an awesome addition to the Elders Scrolls saga.
  76. Dec 12, 2011
    This is my 3rd rewiev, and I started at the score 0. I've been playing for about 25 hours now.

Positive: graphics is great, even on my HP laptop. Gameplay is fun and addictive. Big world, with a lot of quests. Great cities, compared to Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc. Almost unending gameplay. The world feels a live with all these critters running around. Negative: Dialogues is weak, you can
    ALMOST say everything to some guy, and it still has same effect. Bugs is really bad, I am reinstalling Skyrim right now, because I can't fast travel, dragons is flying the wrong way which causes big laggs, a lot of quests is just really boring(there is some good ones too, don't get it the wrong way) and dragons are sometimes invincble.

I think the game is pretty good, but it could get A LOT better. I would reccomend it to everyone, because we all need to make an effort, to safe the lands of Skyrim!
  77. Nov 29, 2011
    Another fantastic completely immersive RPG masterpiece- The perfect next step in an epic series. Elderscrolls sets the bar for the genre much like Indiana Jones and (the first 3) Star Wars movies did for film. Skyrim is a homerun! Bravo, Bethesda!
  78. Nov 12, 2011
    graphic is sometimes fantastic, but not everywhere. at the beginning i thought the graphic looks average but the longer you play you more get into it. the atmosphere for me is good, its very thick. sometimes you can get some bugs, i hope they patch them out very soon. the game is fun and interesting and not that complicated. its a very good game for 2011 and this game deserves a good rating. the steam feature i thought is useful but i couldn't even install it from the cd but after a trick i could, i mean this should install automatically from cd, we live in the 21 century.
    play it if you love gothic or the witcher,

iam out
  79. Nov 12, 2011
    What can i say... This is the best Rpg game i have ever played and probably the Best in Gaming history.

Buy it, you wont regret it, and if you do, your not sane.
  80. Nov 13, 2011
    Although a little too familiar and a little unpolished, another great game from Bethesda.

Second best RPG in the last month, but that's another conversation.

Gonna be a good winter for gaming.
  81. Nov 14, 2011
    pure, beautiful, immersion with a solid, SMOOTH release from Bethesda. and the freaking sidequests... they feel significant enough to feel less like side-quests and more like it's just part of the main story. I've put in over 30 hours already, and i cant wait to put in more!
  82. Nov 24, 2011
    If you like open worlds and rpgs this game is amazing in every way. Graphics, characters, stories, and sound are all amazing and feel next gen. I played Dark Souls quite bit and this game is a calming wonderful experience with all the satisfaction and accomplishment. I thought I would never sell dark souls because of how great it was (albeit uber hard), but now i don't know if I'll ever play it again. Obviously, Skyrim is not for everyone, but if you've every like an RPG this is the quintessential experience...unbeatable. Freedom beyond any game before it....I like my freedom. Expand
  83. Jan 20, 2012
    This is my second review of this game because it's worth it. For those of you out there who like to rush through games, then maybe you'll find Skyrim to be too short for your liking; however, this is NOT the reason Bethesda makes their Elder Scrolls games. Like Morrowind and Oblivion before it, Skyrim allows you to sit back and explore an amazing world full of side quests and adventures. It's simply a beautiful game in every aspect and is the best in the Elder Scrolls series to date. I have been a fan of since Morrowind and will continue to purchase Elder Scrolls titles as they are released. Sure there are glitches in the game which Bethesda will fix and the menu navigation could be better, but all in all a great gaming experience. I can't wait for upcoming expansions :) Expand
  84. Nov 12, 2011
    i wanted to call it game of the year,
    what i like is that the game difficulty is not set too low and that the enivorment is very detailed, the sounds and the music are nice as well all together a impressive atmosphere. its very small, the download only has a size of 5,8GB.

on the other hand, the graphics engine itself is looks very old, when you get closer to anything, all you see is
    edges, little texture bugs... reminds me on RAGE; same problem.
    the controls of the game are a disaster. SERIOUSLY.

the npc/ai players block your way , the enemy ai gets stuck at random objects.

the mainquest is done very fast, (lvl 11 was enough to finish it) i think i took double the time for oblivion, at the end its just, travel - fight dragon - travel - fight dragon again. AND again... uuuh so creative.
    the secondary quests are fun, also its fun to just ride arround with the horse and let it fall down from high mountains.

its not worth the 49â
  85. Nov 13, 2011
    Everything I could ever want in an RPG. Absolutely stunning visuals, great combat, amazing voice acting and story. This game is the complete package, and a must-buy for any fan of Bethesda RPG's.
  86. Nov 15, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is another great addition to the serie. It is everything a fan would expect. The story is incredible, the lenght of the game is awesome, you have plenty side-missions and you are left with a lot of different ways to play the game. The 2 main problems why this game doesn't deserve a 10 are the fact that the graphics are way out-dated, they look just like Oblivion. It sucks that games nowadays are stuck having to develop with 5yo consoles. I think they should've done what bf3 did which is make the game on PC with ultra graphs possibilities and release an xbox/ps3 version which can run only at medium graphs. The second thing is the skill tree really isnt computer friendly, we can clearly see that it was made for console and it sucks. Of course there's also a few minor bugs, but nothing that will ruin your gaming experience. Overall this is a must buy for any rpg fans and even for people who never played any Elder Scrolls! Expand
  87. Nov 12, 2011
    Excellent and wonderful adventure! Oblivion was expecting, but received no less than Morrowind! Graphics nice, gameplay is perfect! the first 10 hours simply could not tear myself away from 3 o'clock which was engaged in hunting and fishing!
  88. Mar 30, 2012
    This game has stood it's ground as time goes on. Notice how the majority of negative reviews are when the game was released. Granted, I was a bit disappointed at first too. The graphics were not what I was expecting and there were a few bugs and the UI kind of sucked. Most of the negatives are from people that cannot be satisfied.

Bethesda has proven to be a worthy company though,
    releasing updates, an Excellent Hi-Res pack, and providing continual support The millions of people who have put in many hours can attest to the overall quality of this game. After you put in 100+ hours, you realize how impressive this game really is. They put so much time into designing this, so many unique places and dungeons.

Oh and did I mention the mods? You can get as ridiculous as you want with this game. I know 'hardcore' elitists will never let their nostalgia go, this is by far the highest overall quality RPG game ever made.
  89. Nov 21, 2011
    This is comming from someone whos played like 3 hours of the game. Although I can safely say ill will be playing at least another 10 without getting bored. Graphics look well maybe not astonishing, its no crysis although the effects for weather are quite nice to look at. If im gonna be honest character creation is good enough for me at least some more body shape and hairstyle options could be lovely although i cannot ask for allot more. The gameplay itself is good fun. Walking tends to get annoying but its not too extreme and wont really throw you off. I wish the choice of weoponry was a little bit more broad (im talking about the first couple of hours) Gave it an 8 instead of a nine as it reminded me too much of Fallout. Expand
  90. Dec 2, 2011
    Our hero, our hero, claims a warrior's heart
    I tell you, I tell you, the Dragonborn comes
    With a Voice wielding power of the ancient Nord art
    Believe, believe, the Dragonborn comes
    It's an end to the evil, of all Skyrim's foes
    Beware, beware, the Dragonborn comes
    For the darkness has passed, and the legend yet grows
    You'll know, You'll know the Dragonborn's come
  91. Nov 12, 2011
    Without a doubt the best RPG since Oblivion and so much better. Skyrim has great graphics, music, sound and voice acting with a huge epic story to go with it, combine that with the ability to make mods and you have a game like no other.
    The engine is not cutting edge when it comes to graphics but what you do get is more than good enough and allows you to play it on moderate hardware.
  92. Dec 11, 2011
    Overall this game is amazing. It's so fantastically well done that it's a game I can't get away from. I'm completely addicted and I love it! Way to go Bethesda!
  93. Nov 12, 2011
    The world of Skyrim is huge. The graphics are truly amazing. The gameplay is great. This is really worth your money if you love role playing games! I understand that some long-time Elder Scrolls fans might be a bit disappointed with some of the aspects of the game though. Its complexity has been somewhat scaled down to fit the console crowd and casual gamer better. But overall I'm not personally bothered with that. The game is still immersive and fun, and it's got all the bells and whistles a true role playing game should have. I have shaved one point off my score (from a 10 to a 9) simply because of the few but noticable bugs in the game. Don't worry though, they don't spoil the enjoyment of this fantastic game. Expand
  94. Nov 11, 2011
    This game deserves an 8, it has good graphics, voice acting can now and then be realy horrible imo. Cant judge on the whole story but from what ive seen so far it has a solid story and fun combat.
  95. Nov 11, 2011
    Those who are completely slating this game, look at yourselves. You're all saying you've played "10" hours, or even less and basing your opinion on that. There's 300 hours of gameplay in Skyrim. Someone compared it to The Witcher 2 about graphics; most people can barely run The Witcher at even reasonable settings...another complained about the same 10 year old background song? Sorry, but **** off! Thats easily one of the best songs that has ever been used for any game created in the past 10 years. This is a warning to all thsoe who read the bad scores; ignore them. If I had £1 for every 12 year old ranting about how their dads PC can't play this game, I'd be richer than ****ing Bill Gates! I loved Oblivion and I know I am going to love Skyrim. So stop winging, trade your game in with "daddy" stood next to you, because you obviously have no I.D. and buy a Wii and Sonic: Adventures 3D from CEX and stop downing the Metascore. Or me and Chuck Norris will personally stick your **** PC so far up your ass you'll be able to taste the Blue Screens that your wank hardware causes! Expand
  96. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is abseloutly amazing! I It's like constantly thrilling, and it never stops! This game has actual content inside, which means the game has a soul. I personally think this game contains an endles experience, you wont regret buying it! 10/10 Expand
  97. efx
    Nov 11, 2011
    Damn i had so much fun playing this game was completely immersed for 8 hours straight today. So much possibilities, endless world pure fun. Sure PC version could be better its quite lazy console port but still GOTY.
  98. Nov 17, 2011
    I'd like for everyone to keep in mind that everyone's experience of this game differs according to the graphics settings, kind of character, and type of ad-hoc gameplay style they develop when playing through skyrimz. Myself, I do appreciate a challenge, but I also like to appreciate the storyline without having gut-wrenching, impossible battles. As such, I'm playing the game on the default difficulty level. If you prefer to take a more relaxed approach like me, I recommend doing same. As for my playing style, I'm role playing the game as sort of a noble vigilante much like Robinhood. I haven't officially joined any factions other than the College of Winterhold which is purportedly not involved in world affairs-at least, that's the version of the story your told to believe. Behind the veneer of the college as a distant, scholarly retreat, there is the reality that the college is full of men and women with ulterior motives who have brought unsanctioned practices and customs with them, regardless of approval by the college's authorities. So far, the college if proving to be a very enjoyable experience. Compared to Oblivion's and Morrowind's Mage Guilds, the storyline is much richer, and you really do get the sense that your just a pawn in a dangerous game of mage politics. As for the game-play itself, I was frankly blown right of my socks by the dual casting. The visuals for the spells, the way the body moves when casting, and way spells can combine together nearly made me pee myself. If it's any indication to you of how cool spell casting is in this game, I spent nearly 45 minutes to an hour trying out different spells on the outskirts of a city just to see what they looked like and to test them all out. The only strong criticism I have for Bethesda, in terms of mage combat, is that there a major lack of conjuration spells. I'm hoping they'll make up for this in DLC's they release. Additionally, I'm thinking they may have erred in how they designed the level-up system for mages. It may have been a better idea to have sub-specialties for conjuration crazies like me so that the creatures we summoned gained better hp and attacks buffs as we put more skills into, for example, daedric summoning. In the end design, they probably limited the amount of spells in order to have better balance in the game and to be able to perfect each spell in terms of it's visuals and associated casting movements. Sword and archery combat is a great deal improved now, too. There are spin moves, thrusts, and slashes for sword lovers who want to have more flexibility in terms of their combat style which is a major plus. Then, for those who are more the dark brotherhood types, there are special take down moves that can be done with swords and daggers from up close. Secondly, archery feels much more natural now. The way your arms and body moves when you draw your bow is much more natural. Long distance shots are quite difficult to land since arrows actually do arch, but short range shots almost always hit (even if you're a low level archer). The bowman can even do a sort of shove attack with the bow to fend off attacking enemies although this isn't very effective against enemies wielding large weapons because they hit you long before you can shove them back with your bow. A minor complaint here, but I think Bethesda should have added a richer complement of melee attack options for the bow. In addition to the shove, the archer should be able to swing his bow as a make-shift blunt weapon and even use his arrows as a dagger. Alchemy seems pretty complex, and there are thousands of ingredients and recipe books to keep the alchemy buffs quite content. As for the number and variety of quests, I couldn't do them full justice here, but I think I can sum it up in one sentence. If you wanted to be a full-time adventurer and/or treasure hunter, it's entirely possible to do so given the sheer number of side quests available. I can't tell you the number of times I've run into random bandits, creatures, altars, graves, abandoned forts, mines, and ruins that have their own mini-story lines and often lead to other quests. Freaking awesome!

Overall, the graphics, storylines, and voice-acting collectively work together to produce a role-playing experience so immersive, enthralling, and impressive that you may never put the game down until you finish it.

1. Feb 29, 2012