8.0

1. May 2, 2015
    Update: thanks Valve and Bethesda for removing paid mods. :)
    Skyrim is one of the best RPGs ever made (when mods are used). Cannot wait for the next TES game.
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    This game looks amazing. It's worth the money and I feel it has that replayability to it. There are lots of things to do in Skyrim. You can smith your own armor, enchant your weapons, train in magic AND use swords, axes, hammers, bows and more. I'm going to play this game til 2099.
  3. Nov 19, 2011
    Never have I played a game so immersive as Skyrim. Skyrim is full of life and personality and allows you the freedom of playing the way you want.

I've played over 80 hours of mostly exploring and doing side quests. Even side quests are interesting stories that affect the world. I will easily put over 300 hours in one save. Then I'll start over and play again. I have a few complaints

I have a few complaints though. No 1-9 hotkeys for switching weapons, excessive loading while exploring the world and some NPCs are unkillable.
  4. Nov 23, 2011
    Great game: awesome atmosphere, great sounds in couple words its a masterpiece of Bethesda. Its just awesome. Filling the rest becouse i need 150 characters.
  5. Nov 24, 2011
    I really can't understand all of these review that go against the graphics, I am sorry to say that this is because of your computer not the game. I had the graphics turned up to ultra and they look next generation easily. The dungeon design improves massively upon oblivion with proper dungeons taking anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours and dwemer/dwarven ruins are back. I played for 60I really can't understand all of these review that go against the graphics, I am sorry to say that this is because of your computer not the game. I had the graphics turned up to ultra and they look next generation easily. The dungeon design improves massively upon oblivion with proper dungeons taking anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours and dwemer/dwarven ruins are back. I played for 60 hours before I finished the main quest line. Expand
  6. Nov 24, 2011
    Skyrim is not just a game - it is a critical step in the evolution of gaming as we know it. I have beaten the game's 'main quest' four days ago. Still cannot pry myself away from the incredible world development. I find myself interested in trivial characters' doings. I find myself just drifting with the ebb and flow of what seems to be an incredibly advanced simulation of reality. SkyrimSkyrim is not just a game - it is a critical step in the evolution of gaming as we know it. I have beaten the game's 'main quest' four days ago. Still cannot pry myself away from the incredible world development. I find myself interested in trivial characters' doings. I find myself just drifting with the ebb and flow of what seems to be an incredibly advanced simulation of reality. Skyrim isn't about a linear storyline - for you ADD queefs, GTFO. This isn't a quick fix. This is simply an incredibly gorgeous world with the closest to real characters I have seen in a game. I begrudgingly state that as a filmmaker, I may have tread in the wrong industry. Expand
  7. Nov 26, 2011
    This game has everything the rpg player want !
    I have play this game more than 130 hours on steam and i LOVE IT
    The elder scrolls is the only game that it gets better and better ! They did what we ask they put everything we was talking about they fix everything that wasnt working good from the oblivion and now for the first time i see ppl traveling !!! No i am not talking about some
    This game has everything the rpg player want !
    I have play this game more than 130 hours on steam and i LOVE IT
    The elder scrolls is the only game that it gets better and better !
    No i am not talking about some hunters or some guards i am talking about ppl from ur guild (like the companions) u can spot them traveling (its a little bit hard to find them ) they go and do stuff the dragons are here and they can come to u anytime anywhere how cool is that?
    if u are low lvl or weak u need to run hide and do stuff to escape or if u are strong u can fight it u can shout to make force him to land ! and now u can be what u want to be and u can just be good at everything !! a lot of perks a lot of quest a lot of stuff to find ! ok i cant talk now i am going to play it !
  8. Nov 26, 2011
    Current Play Time: 52 Hours
    Review: Excellent
    Graphic's: 8/10 Sound effects and music: 9.5/10 Voice acting 8/10 Gameplay: 9/10 Content: 10/10 Controls: 9/10 Interface: 6/10 Replayability: 10/10 Value for money: 9.5/10 Overall an excellent game worth the £29.75 I paid for it. The interface is very poor as its a console port and quick swaping weapons/spells is terrible. However
    Current Play Time: 52 Hours
    Controls: 9/10
    Interface: 6/10
    Replayability: 10/10
    Value for money: 9.5/10

Overall an excellent game worth the £29.75 I paid for it. The interface is very poor as its a console port and quick swaping weapons/spells is terrible. However these are small issues as im sure they will get modded ON THE PC (HAHA to consoles who pay £50 for a game then have to pay for the DLC and can't mod the game)
  9. Dec 3, 2011
    I didn't like SKYRIM, until I GOT HIT BY AN ARROW IN THE KNEE, y'know made me open my eyes then i was like what a beautiful game?, i shoulda bought Oblivion but i have skyrim now it dosen't matter the game is a very well done piece of RPG Western at it's finest, can the other RPG's knock Skyrim? who know's but only complaint is the world feels empty as times.
  10. Dec 3, 2011
    A huge game in the tradition of Bethesda's memorable previous works of art. I have barely scratched the surface of Skyrim and have already gone through tons of immersive content. Truly an alternate world for one to lose himself into. I cannot understand how some users are giving it a 0 score. I think they are on the pay role of Bethesda's competitors. Sore losers!
  11. Dec 3, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the 189 people who gave this a bad review are trolling like crazy. Not even sure why I'm defending it...The 1480 people and 21 critics who love it pretty much let it speak for itself. Everyone who has something bad to say seem to be hating on the PC version of it...I've got the PC version and it runs flawlessly. On Ultra High Quality graphics. I think in 58 hours of playI'm pretty sure the 189 people who gave this a bad review are trolling like crazy. Not even sure why I'm defending it...The 1480 people and 21 critics who love it pretty much let it speak for itself. Everyone who has something bad to say seem to be hating on the PC version of it...I've got the PC version and it runs flawlessly. On Ultra High Quality graphics. I think in 58 hours of play I've had 2 crashes. Which are never a problem since the game autosaves like every 5 minutes. Every time you go to a new area. This is my first actual PC game purchase (Since I just finished my first build about 4 months ago) Brand new to PC gaming, I tried to play with the mouse and keyboard and get used to it. I got a little bit frustrated because I had to keep looking down at the keys, but I still got the hang of it for the most part. I prefer my 360 controller because I've been an Xbox gamer for years, but I didn't despise the keyboard and mouse. It just wasn't for me. I even liked the F5 quicksave. In fact, I used it all the time even when using my controller. The graphics are beautiful at Ultra High Quality setting. I can see trees and lakes miles away, then actually travel to that lake and swim in it. People are also complaining that Bethesda uses mods as a way to improve their next game. Not sure I understand that very much. To me, it seems like making it easy for modders to mod and tweak their game to give Bethesda ideas for later games should be a major plus. Modders get to mod, Bethesda learns from the mods, and players see the results in later games. Everybody is happy. Oh, and I noticed most of the reviews about bugs were on the DAY IT WAS RELEASED. A game this massive and expansive is going to be buggy. As of today, I've already gotten 2 updates for the game fixing a ton of those bugs. Which means they jumped on it as soon as possible. Beta test all you want, you'll never find all the bugs until you get thousands and thousands of people playing. Expand
  12. Dec 6, 2011
    Simply one of the best games ever made. It has many quirks and bugs, but the same can be said for all previous elder scrolls games, and it's part of their charm. There are some more serious bugs that do need patching soon, however the community has created mods and workarounds for the most part, which is again another reason why this series is so great (and why you should get it on PC!).Simply one of the best games ever made. It has many quirks and bugs, but the same can be said for all previous elder scrolls games, and it's part of their charm. There are some more serious bugs that do need patching soon, however the community has created mods and workarounds for the most part, which is again another reason why this series is so great (and why you should get it on PC!). With the official mod tools coming in January and some DLC no doubt on the horizon, this game is set to be entertaining for hundreds of hours. Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2011
    Incremental improvement on Oblivion. I've had no game killing bugs, but a few crashes which is better than any other Bethesda game I've played. Grind, grind, grind is the name of the game. Flat main quest line that offers little in the way of re-playability. Addicting, yes. Engaging, no.
  14. May 2, 2012
    I feel that this game is average. Nothing outstanding or exceptional. Bethesda created an action game rather than a roleplaying game. There's absolutely no element of roleplaying in this game. Sure, you can create and customise your character, wear what you want, be a mage, thief, warrior, or anything in between, but what it doesn't have is the choice element of games like Mass Effect.I feel that this game is average. Nothing outstanding or exceptional. Bethesda created an action game rather than a roleplaying game. There's absolutely no element of roleplaying in this game. Sure, you can create and customise your character, wear what you want, be a mage, thief, warrior, or anything in between, but what it doesn't have is the choice element of games like Mass Effect. There's no way to define your character by the actions you make. No huge differences in the story occur due to the choices you make. The thing that bugged me was that I felt too rushed to complete the game that I had no "spare time" to do any side quests. Any roleplaying choice is quashed by the fact that the start of the game is the same everytime, dropping you into an urgent situation where you're kind of forced to follow the story rather than do what you want (which is what I thought the elder scrolls series was about). As a roleplayer, the actions I choose are the same every time because I'm given no choice as to how I follow the story. Of course some might not care about this fact if you're not so inclined to roleplaying like myself. The world is pretty dead. NPCs don't do much. The voice acting is alright. There's a lot of side quests, but your reputation has no bearing on peoples' reactions to you. The guards in all towns make idiotic comments about you being dragonborn as you walk past them. How does word travel so fast? How do they know it's me? Why do they sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the film Hercules in New York? Anyway, the game is fine if you want an action game. The controls are fine, but definitely meant for a controller rather than a mouse and keyboard. However if you're using a controller you can only have two favourite spells/weapons which means CONSTANT searching through your favourite spells. You'll likely end up putting every spell on your favourite list because it's quicker than opening the menu. Using a keyboard and mouse isn't much better due to the fact you can only have about 8 quick slots. Seriously, there's so many spells and abilities in this game that more are definitely needed. Mods are the only thing going for this game, but to say only mods can fix the game seems like a shameful failure on Bethesda's part. This is what happened with Oblivion. 5/10 simply because it's okay, but not good. Expand
  15. May 8, 2012
    Some of the game is excellent, some is ok, some is quite bad.

The good: World design. The world is huge, detailed (it even has ants) and beautiful. It is well worth the effort to walk the world of Skyrim from end to end in every direction. This is where the game really shines. Lots of places to exlore. There are hundreds of locations in the game. Most with their own small story.
    Some of the game is excellent, some is ok, some is quite bad.

Sadly this is where the good ends...
    The OK:
    While the story is not too horrible, it is not great either. It didn't engage me. It doesn't stand any comparison with Witcher series. But overall main, side quests make sense.

The bad:
    Skill system. Bad, bad, bad. The idea behind Elder Scrolls series is an original one compared to your average RPG (quests->XP->level up->skills). In Skyrim you level up by using your skills. Completing quests doesn't earn any XP. Skills level very slowly. After 80 hours of playing I only have one of the skills maxed out to 100. Overall leveling a skill is long, boring and tedious work that involves a lot of grinding and/or using exploits (that are abundant in the game). Good news is that you donâ
  16. May 26, 2012
    After playing this game for 100+ hours and having Oblivion played more than 300 hours, i am disappointed about this game. Sure, the first 10, 30, 50 or even 100 hours feel good when playing the game, but as soon that feeling begins to fade, the flaws in this game will influence how you feel about it and you will mods to cover the flaws and to add some extra hours of gameplay.

If I should

If I should compare the previous game in the Elder Scrolls series, Oblivion with Skyrim, My conclusion will be this:
    Skyrim has better graphics, better music, more enemy diversity, a slightly better main quest, the almost same clunky combat system and animations still look a bit stiff. The game has some decent characters, but mostly you will meet many uninspired characters. And many characters don't spread rumours. And you can't control the behavior of your followers and know at which skills they are good and at which they don't.
    But Skyrim is robbed of any feeling of accomplishment towards completing quest series,depth when it comes to character creation and leveling and the battle between the Stormcloaks and Imperials, which could have been an interesting quest series, is watered down towards hack&slash quests with a slight flavour of fetch questing.

Quest Series
    For example when ending the Companions serie, you become the leader. But you don't get a little extra or the feeling that you have some degree of control and confirmation that you are truly the Companions leader, because you can't make any control over the faction which you are supposed to lead.

Character creation
    They reduced the number of attributes from 8 to 3, the birthsigns are no longer permanent and the skill perk trees have many perks like improving damage with 20% or to reduce the casting Magicka from certain class spells of 1 of the 5 spell school by a half. There are interesting perks, but before you being able to pick them, you need to invest in perks which you may not need at all.

I hope they will take The Elder Scrolls VI more complex with more detailed characters.
    The reason why i gave it a 5 is because the game will certainly entertain for some time, but it has many flaws

Note: I am not a native speaker of the English language
  17. Jul 23, 2012
    I figured I'd take the time to write an actually decent review since most of them seem to be love/hate reviews, so I figured I'd do a simple pro/con list.
    Pro
    - great graphics - perk system is amazing - player customization is unparalleled - the world is awesome - Epic enemies Cons - Leveling system is restrictive in the sense that once you have all the skills you want, you can't
    Pro
    - great graphics
    - perk system is amazing
    - player customization is unparalleled - the world is awesome
    - Epic enemies
    Cons
    - Leveling system is restrictive in the sense that once you have all the skills you want, you can't really level anymore
    - Not a lot of depth, not many choices other than empire/ stormcloacks, and nothing you do matters. No-where near the depth of a game like Fallout: New Vegas
    - Some areas just destroy your tactics (like stealth characters are screwed in dragon fights) almost like those deus ex human revolution boss fights.

All in all I'd say skyrim is a pretty good game, as you can see my review says the pros outweigh the cons as saying it was a bad game would be a less than 5 score. Some of the flaws can be rather aggravating, but ultimately it is a good game. Also if you think I am saying it is a bad game by giving it that score think of my numbering this way, greater than 5 is good, less than is bad.
  18. Apr 27, 2015
    The game is alright even. Dungeons and quests are rather repetitive and the UI is rather horrible. You can fix these issues by installing mods. But be warned - in this game certain mods will be monetized.
  19. Nov 26, 2011
    I started with Daggerfall many years ago, and enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion too -- Skyrim does _not_ disappoint. I am playing on an underpowered laptop with lowest graphics settings, and it's STILL engrossing. It's very immersive and quite simply entertaining -- it will eat up the hours as you complete quests and generally wander around, finding new and interesting things around almostI started with Daggerfall many years ago, and enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion too -- Skyrim does _not_ disappoint. I am playing on an underpowered laptop with lowest graphics settings, and it's STILL engrossing. It's very immersive and quite simply entertaining -- it will eat up the hours as you complete quests and generally wander around, finding new and interesting things around almost every corner. I only awarded 9/10 because of a few bugs/glitches, and things such as: not really any dialogue choices, too many NPCs are flagged as "essential" and are unkillable, no proper incentive to eat or sleep, and destruction magic being underpowered at higher levels. But these are small nitpicks in a really entertaining game! It's just fun to play, to explore, to quest, to kill things and level up, to buy a house, visit new cities, slay dragons, etc. etc. Overall this is a very solid RPG game with interesting quests left-right-and-centre. I have already got my AUS$90 worth and I'm only about 40 hours in. I expect to hit 100 hours easily with this game. Recommended! 9/10 Expand
  20. Nov 26, 2011
    Same premise as other Bethesda games with the non-vital central story line and unlimited opportunity to set you own goals and define your own criteria for success. I guess for those with no imagination and needing to be hand held down a specific path this is a negative but for me, being able to give free range to ones own imagination is what play is all about. Visually stunning even on aSame premise as other Bethesda games with the non-vital central story line and unlimited opportunity to set you own goals and define your own criteria for success. I guess for those with no imagination and needing to be hand held down a specific path this is a negative but for me, being able to give free range to ones own imagination is what play is all about. Visually stunning even on a laptop. Dungeon crawls are a big improvement over the mind numbing bi chromatic monotony of Oblivion. Use of a rich mix of design elements makes every dungeon feel different even though one knows they have to reuse elements in a design this massive. Despite all the complaints, the only significant issue I have had is the classic memory leak issue which can lead to CTD every few hours if not managed. As long as you leave and re-enter every few hours or whenever you see signs of texture rendering not being correct it runs fine even on higher settings. Fully immersing and enjoyable. I am 150 hours in and have not gone past half way on any major quest lines. Just too much fun stuff to do. Expand
  21. Dec 23, 2011
    An overall solid game that unfortunately still suffers from many of the problems of its immediate predecessor. Skyrim is executed with a reasonable degree of competency, but a few issues in particular stick out after just a few hours of gameplay. The first being the all-too-small voicecast for such an expansive digital world. Nothing breaks immersion quite like talking to a shopkeeper,An overall solid game that unfortunately still suffers from many of the problems of its immediate predecessor. Skyrim is executed with a reasonable degree of competency, but a few issues in particular stick out after just a few hours of gameplay. The first being the all-too-small voicecast for such an expansive digital world. Nothing breaks immersion quite like talking to a shopkeeper, walking out the door, and hearing the EXACT same voice come from another NPC not 10 feet away. While most of the dialogue is delivered well, the repetition of voices really begins to grate before long. The other main complaint would be the repetition of environments, especially the infamous "dark and mossy cave" over and over again. While the game's named side-quests generally do a good job of mixing up locations every now and then, the "radiant" quests became a repetitive and copy-pasted chore after only a few runthroughs. Despite these complaints, however, I find Skyrim to be a vast improvement over Oblivion, both in terms of graphical quality and overall gameplay. In the end, Bethesda has yet to reattain the lofty heights of game design that it once visited in Morrowind, but Skyrim does show that they are trying their best to get on the right track. It's not perfect, but Skyrim is definitely worth at least a glance if you find yourself wanting for a new single-player RPG experience to fill your time. Expand
  22. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review is coming from a major fan of Bethesda games, including the Elder Scrolls series. Let's get to the point: this game is just not as compelling as previous titles in the series. The visuals and the techno-candy are impressive, but the fun begins to fade after about 15 or so hours. The main problem is the storyline. You're just not drawn into it like you are in, say, Oblivion or Fallout. The side quests become overwhelmingly repetitive, and after a while you just don't care about the characters, including your own. We all know that to a certain extent RPGs will always based on quest formats that require obtaining items to complete goals. In the case of Skyrim, it takes this time-honored formula almost to the point of ludicrousness. After a while I completely avoided engaging in any dialog with town citizens, for fear that it might add yet another pointless "obtain item x" to my miscellaneous quest list. It's also a lot more difficult to develop a themed character, since you are certain to be bombarded with quests that don't fit your character type: you''ll be asked to join the Thieves' Guild, The Companions, The Legion (Empire), The Stormcloaks (Rebellion), the Mages' Guild, etc etc whether or not they fit your gameplay style. It's then up to you to ignore these tasks in your ever-growing encyclopedia of quests if they don't apply to your character. In sum, Skyrim is one massive hodgepodge of item-seeking errands that might be great for someone with OCD, but for those of us who like RPGs and actual character development, it's too one-dimensional. C'mon Bethesda, hire some writers to add that richness and depth that characterizes your other games. 50 hours in, I just don't care why the dragons have come back, and this is the crux of the entire game. Consequently, this is the first Bethesda game that I probably won't finish. I really wanted to love this game, and it looked like it might deliver, but an irreversible boredom has set in. Expand
  23. Dec 3, 2011
    I have been playing RPG games since the dawn of time and Elder Scrolls IMHO has always been the best FP RPG by a clear mile. This is an excellent follow on from the superb Oblivion. The graphics are beautiful, the geography stunning and the main plot interesting, drawing on what we all ready know about the Elder Scrolls universe. The lack of real character classes, with players choosingI have been playing RPG games since the dawn of time and Elder Scrolls IMHO has always been the best FP RPG by a clear mile. This is an excellent follow on from the superb Oblivion. The graphics are beautiful, the geography stunning and the main plot interesting, drawing on what we all ready know about the Elder Scrolls universe. The lack of real character classes, with players choosing development via their actions is excellent. I personally miss all the scores for intelligence etc, but its a minor point as the simplified perks and magicka, health, stamina model works well. The game is not perfect however, with your actions in the war not really changing people demeanor towards you. The theft system is also flawed, as it was in Oblivion, with some objects just being there for the taking. Say hi to the leader of the town, rob him blind, hang out for a little with his trinkets in your pockets, no one notices or cares. Especially weird if your publicly a paid up member of his worst enemy. No problem in Skyrim for some reason. IMHO however the game is an RPG, so you have to have a little imagination, and if you have its an excellent experience. My main gripe is that there seems to be less variety of content (clothes etc) than in Oblivion - I am guessing this is due to the game being primarily developed for console. I await some clothes mods from the community. I would have so much respect for a company that did not dumb down games on PC - come on guys, PC's should be the pinnacle, with reduced content for the consoles, don't set the bar at the lowest possible denominator. Expand
  24. Dec 21, 2011
    An impressive game whose strength lies in its sweeping, detailed world, the exploration of which, can consume hour upon hour of your time without you even knowing. There is always some new jaw-dropping vista to discover, some new silhouette in the distance, enticing you through a driving blizzard or some errand to take you out to some far-flung reach of the map. The world itself is worthAn impressive game whose strength lies in its sweeping, detailed world, the exploration of which, can consume hour upon hour of your time without you even knowing. There is always some new jaw-dropping vista to discover, some new silhouette in the distance, enticing you through a driving blizzard or some errand to take you out to some far-flung reach of the map. The world itself is worth the price of admission. However, the game still leaves much to be desired.

Skyrim is simply chock full of bugs, broken quests and poorly implemented design. But I suppose poorly implemented might be preferable to simply not implemented at all, which as how many aspects of the game feel. Going through some of the lowlights:

The UI is abysmal. The menu system seems designed to confound rather than assist you. This is probably sue to it being created for a controller rather than a mouse and keyboard, so everything you do with it feels like it's taking three extra steps whereas one would have sufficed. Equipping gear is a chore since you are limited to just eight hotkeys, which is very little for the number of spells, weapons, shouts, potions and scrolls you might need available at a moment's notice. Often times, you will find the need to pause the game and go hunting though the menus to find what you need. Poisons are a good example of this. Since poison on a weapon usually will only last for a single hit, characters who rely on them will find themselves pausing several time every fight to reapply it. This serves to really pull the player out of the game since the action is stopped continuously.

Companions are pretty dumb. This is hardly unexpected and is a common complaint for any game that actually includes AI controlled companions. Skyrim is no exception. The pathfinding is awful and you will spend much of your time trying to find alternate routes to get to where you want to go because your companion will get stuck on an ankle high piece of scenery and get left behind, you will drop down off a knee-high elevatin change and they will be unable to follow. On the other hand, sometimes they will. This forces you to babysit them across all uneven terrain (there is a lot of it in Skyrim) by always watching behind you to ensure they are following. You can also elect to just leave them behind and hope they will catch up with you later. Sometimes they do. Other times they just disappear. Fast traveling can be used to "pull" a wayward companion with you, but sometimes when they get lost, they also get dead, and no amount of fast traveling will remedy it.

Another problem with companions is that you have little control over their development, have no way of knowing what skills they are best at (without looking up the entry on the Wiki) and sometimes, can only suggest what armor and weapons they should equip. Sometimes they just wear what the want, no matter how inexplicable it is. Just give them what you want them to have and cross your fingers. The bright spot about companions is that they do make good mules for carrying around the masses of loot your are bound to find.

Mounts have barely been implemented at all. Yes, you can buy and ride horses, even having several at one time. Unfortunately, the speed increase they give you is marginal, you can't use them for additional storage in the field, you can fight from the saddle, your companions can't ride at all so if you bring a friend along with you, you'll often leave them behind due to differences in travel speed, and finally, horses love to jump into combat with you. Although that may sound like a bonus, it's not, since they also tend to die horrible deaths rather quickly. With a 1000g price tag each time you need to replace one, you will soon learn that they are not something you want to bring with you on the road, which pretty much makes them absolutely useless in all respects.

Game textures are pretty low-grade as well. At a distance, it's not something you notice, but once you get up close to the scenery, the stripped down console-based textures become horribly apparent. Luckily, these are easy to mod up to snuff for PC users. This includes new textures for everything from running water to character appearance, which really needed some work. Bethesda, it appears, decided that all characters, particularly female, would be better received by gamers if they were as ugly and unattractive as possible. The community begged to differ and, at the time of this writing, the most popular mod on Skyrim Nexus (among hundreds of truly excellent ones), is a mod to beautify the women of Skyrim. It may seem trite to some, but those ladies desperately needed a major league makeover.

And despite these complaints, I still have to give Skyrim high marks. The bugs will be fixed, the textures will be improved and the mechanics will be overhauled. But most importantly, Skyrim is a world you can easily lose yourself in.
  25. Jul 7, 2012
    I think this game went for quantity over quality and it really hurt it. I'm not really an Elder Scrolls fan I've always liked the Fallout series better, but I have to say that Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls title I cared to play through. My experience is varied. The graphics are better than what we've seen before from Bethesda, but nothing special. The sound quality was pretty good andI think this game went for quantity over quality and it really hurt it. I'm not really an Elder Scrolls fan I've always liked the Fallout series better, but I have to say that Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls title I cared to play through. My experience is varied. The graphics are better than what we've seen before from Bethesda, but nothing special. The sound quality was pretty good and the music was the same. The story line was avarage, nothing too big. But now let's go to the things, that I didn't like. The side quests for example. There were a lot of side quests in these game I can give it that, but aside from a couple they didn't really feel intresting. The same goes with companions. There were like a million of them, but they didn't have the slightest bit of character. I'd much rather have 7 unique companions with backstories and own quest lines like in Fallout, than 10 million of them that only differ in looks, and will eventually end up as moving chests that carry your stuff around. The armors and weapons are not balanced whatsoever. The spells get really weak later on, and if u don't dual wield you're basically not playing the game right. I can't count the times I got killed by a bandit wearing leather armor and an iron knife, while I had my Dragon armor, and ebony hammer on. Just because I wasn't dual wielding. The "skill trees" in this game are pretty dumb too. Some of them has no use. For instance lockpicking is pretty useless, since it just makes it easier to open locks, but you don't really need it since it's not really hard anyways, and you can open the lock after 2 or 3 triest most of the time. Blacksmithing is ridiclously imbalanced on the other hand. First of all since every item you craft increases your skill by the same amount to get it to max you'll end up making thousands of Iron Daggers. The gear you can make with blacksmithing is also often two or three times stronger than the one you can find. Dragons are pretty intresting, but after killing 3 or 4 them you'll have enough dragon bones and scale, so meeting them will be an annoyance instead of a cool thing. The interface is a buggy pile of steaming poop. Even if you point at the right thing you'll often end up clicking on something else. The inventory screen is a complete disaster. The gane was obviously made with consoles in mind. All in all this game wanted too much, and ended up as shallow non-polished disappointment. Expand
  26. May 25, 2012
    Extremely inconvinient new interface, especially inventory, vast territories wih nice landscapes but nothing else (I've spent 20! real time minutes walking to a new destination with NOTHING in a way), poor story, dull quests and NPC's, lots of bugs, etc, etc.... - all in all its boring - the worst game in TES series, IMO. However there is not much choice what to play if you are doneExtremely inconvinient new interface, especially inventory, vast territories wih nice landscapes but nothing else (I've spent 20! real time minutes walking to a new destination with NOTHING in a way), poor story, dull quests and NPC's, lots of bugs, etc, etc.... - all in all its boring - the worst game in TES series, IMO. However there is not much choice what to play if you are done with The Witcher. So I would not advise against buying the game, just do not expect much and you will not be disappointed as I was:-) Expand
  27. Nov 17, 2011
    Considering this game is a console port, i feel visually it was more than adequate to give you the sense of scale and beauty Bethesda have clearly worked very hard on in Skyrim. its never going to win graphics awards for its character models and imperfect field of view loading distances, but even after playing bf3 this month, at no time did i ever think less of this game based on itsConsidering this game is a console port, i feel visually it was more than adequate to give you the sense of scale and beauty Bethesda have clearly worked very hard on in Skyrim. its never going to win graphics awards for its character models and imperfect field of view loading distances, but even after playing bf3 this month, at no time did i ever think less of this game based on its visuals. the sheer scale of content visible, the impressive arctic landscape and beautiful skies more than make up for any imperfections down on an individual scale. The story telling is rich and holds lots of depth, i found quests stacked up very very fast almost to the point of confusion, but i'm holding this totally down to my want of exploring every area of the landscape before moving on rather than zig-zagging around Skyrim. the quests are mixed, ranging from the tedious collection of boring items to complex and skilled assassination or theft quests that almost make u reload and try them again from a different angle whether u complete them or not. the variety of voices is much improved from oblivion and tho not perfect as most of the guards speak the same and a even a few main characters share the same voice/accent i feel based on the sheer scale of different npc in this game they have added enough variety to be reasonable. With all RPG games there is a balance between stats level and player skill when it comes to combat. WOW has it based very heavily on the stats u have worked up rather than any players skill with a mouse and keyboard. elder scrolls have added in a requirement for a lot of mouse controlled skill. meaning u do at least stand a chance against an enemy who dwarfs you on stats. in skyrim this is no different although i never really noticed any change in damage based on the location you hit an enemy other than in the front or in the back. this was most apparant with bows, as aiming for a harder headshot didnt seem to reward you over hitting the enemy in the torso, even if they where wearing armour but had their head uncovered. however a hit with an arrow through the face was always satisfying, even if that character then proceeded to chase you down the mountain side with it handing from their cheek. Using melee weapons nearly always became a hack n slash affair unless you were in sneak and managed to get some very satisfying throat slit one hit kills. i do feel on the whole it could be greatly improved to benefit players skill with the improved stats helping you along, rather than weapon and armor stats being loosely aimed via mouse at the creature u wanted to try and kill.

visual and game play bugs were always going to be an issue with a game made up of so much varied content. this said, other than a few flashy green screens in the odd dungeon for a few seconds, ive not found a glitch yet that hindered my game play. Having bottles and plates randomly fly across the room and no npc characters bat an eyelid at it has its comic value, equaly does a mammoth being blasted 500 foot into the air or a bandit still telling you how "you will never leave skyrim alive", right in the middle of HIS death animation. these things only add to the smile on my face while playing this game. worse issue in the game by far is the horses, they help with nothing, the minor speed boost to travel around isnt worth the effort of paying 1000gold considering once u have found somewhere u can fast travel, so u would only be on the horse if u were exploring for the first time, in which case your going to be getting on and off talking to people or attacking baddies. and when u do find something that wants to eat ur face the horse turns into Braveheart and runs off at it, unless its a rabbit it normal gets itself killed and ur left with a horse pelt u paid a grand for!

in conclusion, an awesomely visual and depthy game that gives you something to do for weeks and weeks. a few annoyances some may have with bugs are to be expected soon after launch and with a reasonable combat system, but one that sadly that lacks any real skill and has a horrible/lengthy weapon change system. the annoyances are more than made up for by the world and story in which you can immerse yourself
  28. Nov 19, 2011
    Do im 55 hours into the game. I have played a Thief/Assassin type character and a warrior character, both feel like 2 different games. Honestly I have not be addicted to a game like this ever before. This is GOTY for me. I am lost in the exploration of Skyrim, and around every corner is something new and unique to discover. This is a true PC game. From the amount of gameplay to the funDo im 55 hours into the game. I have played a Thief/Assassin type character and a warrior character, both feel like 2 different games. Honestly I have not be addicted to a game like this ever before. This is GOTY for me. I am lost in the exploration of Skyrim, and around every corner is something new and unique to discover. This is a true PC game. From the amount of gameplay to the fun factor of modding and tweaking the game to make it more of your own. 10/10 Expand
  29. May 9, 2012
    This is one beautiful game. Its hard to argue that the graphics are dull or uninspiring, because you would be lying. However, even though The Elder Scrolls series are hard to beat and even harder to come by on epicness, I will say that this one disappointed. Clearly, they spent a lot of time trying to make a beautiful game, but its depth is about a deep as a puddle of water. If I am thisThis is one beautiful game. Its hard to argue that the graphics are dull or uninspiring, because you would be lying. However, even though The Elder Scrolls series are hard to beat and even harder to come by on epicness, I will say that this one disappointed. Clearly, they spent a lot of time trying to make a beautiful game, but its depth is about a deep as a puddle of water. If I am this all powerful, god like warrior, I should be treated like one. You will find that you will complete missions, save an entire town or city from complete doom and your reward is that you get to buy a house in the town. Hell if I didn't save it you wouldn't have one. I should be KING! The scale in which your importance in this world feels just wrong. You spend most of the time taking on much of the world by yourself and doing what most armies can't. The rewards for being so amazing are something that should have more meaning. Being a puppet when I could clearly kill the quest giver is none to pleasing. Best example I can give is also a spoiler. If you help the stormcloaks win the war and take over Skyrim all you get is a cheap sword that does Nothing! Nuff said.... Expand
  30. Dec 2, 2011
    I'd never imagine myself enjoying a 1st person role-playing game but with all the hype I decided to give it a shot. From the very start I got completely hooked. I haven't finished it yet, and I got the feeling I'm not even close and I've spent 100 hours (I take my precious time enjoying every pixel of every scenery).

I've been reading some complaints though about bugs and things not

I've been reading some complaints though about bugs and things not working and I'm really curious about what these bugs might be that make people so angry. The bugs I've encountered are minor and the fact that this game is so immensly huge I really don't care about them. I'd rather have a huge world to explore with some random bugs than a tiny little excuse of a "Story Mode" which is flawless.

Recently alot of new exciting games have been released but so far none can match the gametime, depth and experience Skyrim can offer. I have no idea when I'm gonna complete the game but I don't think it will be any time soon. And after I do finish the game, I'm gonna have another go at it. This time playing another role.

I actually created an account on metacritic just to write this review because I think Bethesda deserves the feedback. If this is the new standard for how future game should be like, then we do indeed have a bright future ahead of us. I can only imagine the amount of hours and efforts put into making such a huge universe. If anyone praticipating in creating this game is reading this review, well I would like to say thank you so much for making me feel there's still hope in the gaming industry.
  31. Dec 15, 2011
    Skyrim is not really an RPG game. It is adventure-quest game. RPG system is so simplified event retarded children can master it. When i played the game, character race were mentioned only once or twice, and had absolutely no effect on gameplay. Story is nice but most quests very linear and lack choices.
  32. Dec 18, 2011
    I enjoyed the game and completed a lot of quests but it just lost that great feeling after about 3 hours. I will still play it and enjoy it for many weeks to come but it's just not the same anymore and seems to be worse then Fallout 3. I think Fallout 3 was better.
  33. Dec 26, 2011
    As somebody who didn't really play Oblivion, this game started out as very impressive. However, after having put a lot of time into the game, the flaws start to build up. The graphics are indeed very impressive and detailed. Facial expressions are somewhat limited but this is more than made up by the beautiful scenery. Voice acting is relatively high quality though not in abundance - itsAs somebody who didn't really play Oblivion, this game started out as very impressive. However, after having put a lot of time into the game, the flaws start to build up. The graphics are indeed very impressive and detailed. Facial expressions are somewhat limited but this is more than made up by the beautiful scenery. Voice acting is relatively high quality though not in abundance - its kind of annoying talking to someone with the exact same voice as somebody in the last town. Combat is fun though it doesn't have much depth. I enjoyed it as far as hack-and-slack goes but due to the 2-ability only gameplay, and the clunky way to change your active abilities, I found that spells and strategy became a bit pointless. Additionally, the game is relatively easy and no strategy other than 'hit them hard' was really needed. In any of the more difficult fights you simply paused the game and spammed healing potions... While the game was immersive graphically-wise and the storyline is fine in most places, the quests are typically boring. I found the thieves guild extremely fun, but otherwise I found that you just went somewhere to kill someone or get an item from the back of a cannon-fodder filled cave (with exceptions of course). I did not find the atmosphere or characters to be deep, comparing it with games like Dragon Age, the characters were often very NPC-like with little back story or personality. While big cities were usually fine the smaller ones lacked characters and for example, there is virtually no one in the smaller inns except a bard and an innkeeper. Lastly, there are, as stated often, quite a few bugs with the game. Throughout my whole playthrough I found myself without a companion because my first one had bugged and nobody else would join me because the game seemed to think I still had my first one. Not that most games are without their bugs, all of these issues seem to ring loudly because of how over-hyped the game has been. While this review does seem critical, the game is definately fairly good and gave me a lot of hours of gameplay. Expand
  34. Feb 19, 2012
    Pretty much the first thing I did after getting to Riverwood was the Bleak Falls Barrow quest. I did it all in one go and, very sadly, it was by far the most entertaining dungeon I did in the whole game. I had to scavenge for healing potions, I had to use my special power quite a lot (Redguard) , had to kill a few Draugr by leading them through traps and had to reload the final fight inPretty much the first thing I did after getting to Riverwood was the Bleak Falls Barrow quest. I did it all in one go and, very sadly, it was by far the most entertaining dungeon I did in the whole game. I had to scavenge for healing potions, I had to use my special power quite a lot (Redguard) , had to kill a few Draugr by leading them through traps and had to reload the final fight in there a couple of times. Good stuff. Then I got into crafting (good) and alchemy (same old thing but more boring) . Did a few quests which I would describe as moderately hard. After that it was all too easy. Still, there were plenty of places to visit and people to see or were they the same 6 people? The same 6 that had just quaffed a very potent elixir of drain personality? Eventually it felt like Bethesda had forced a potion of damage motivation on me. Why should I keep going? To spend hours in a huge dark cavern looking for plants? No thanks. To scour repetitive dungeons and houses looking for unusual gems. I'll give it a miss. To do virtually the same quests over and over again? NO. Wait, I can get some better alchemy equipment. No. Better gear? No, you're level 35 and you won't find any better stuff. I can rise through the ranks of the theives' guild and steal some outrageous things. Errr.......no. Maybe I could have an amusing chance encounter? Maybe not. Maybe the giants have some other purpose rather than to get my armour skill up and I can find out what it is? Don't think so. Well, there's that high level perk for such and such skill that will really help me when I want to do such and such. Yes, and that would be which one exactly?
    Seriously I have never played a game that left me so bereft of motivation in such a short space of time. The final battle of the main quest was over before it began and afterwards I swapped from two-handed and heavy armour to one-handed and light armour. Even then, with no perks in either, I still could take out the toughest enemies without any trouble. Just took a bit longer and I chugged a couple of healing potions in the process. Right, I've even become demotivated writing about this game. It delivers on a few superficial levels, but deep down it's very shallow indeed. I'm left wondering if it is even possible to make the whole Elder Scrolls experience more bland and anodyne than this. Let's hope not.
  35. Mar 17, 2012
    The game looks great, plays amazing. But we've already done all these same things before. I wanted to get a new RPG that played like something completely new, not just Oblivion with new maps, I just expected much more things to be added in. Mounted combat ect... Other hand, If you want a new game to spam mods for this might be for you.
  36. Jun 15, 2012
    I will describe Skyrim as "a world full of nothing".
    I love the landscape and I like the artistic direction of the "game", but it kind of stops there.
    I will describe Skyrim as "a world full of nothing".
    After many many hours in the world of Skyrim I have given up. I have realized that it will not get more meaningful further on. Everything I do in the game feels pointless and effects the world almost nothing. That the game shipped as a console port with all the limitations that brings is one thing that have been made better with mods, but even that cannot change the empty feeling I get from this extremely shallow game.
  37. Jun 26, 2012
    Certainly a step up from a Oblivion; Skyrim fixes a lot of the problems of its predecessor. Menus and other UI elements have been streamlined; stats have been removed and replaced with perks, allowing for greater control over your character's progression. Level scaling has been reduced to be more like Fallout 3's, so levelling up is actually useful, where in Oblivion it only made the gameCertainly a step up from a Oblivion; Skyrim fixes a lot of the problems of its predecessor. Menus and other UI elements have been streamlined; stats have been removed and replaced with perks, allowing for greater control over your character's progression. Level scaling has been reduced to be more like Fallout 3's, so levelling up is actually useful, where in Oblivion it only made the game harder. Graphics are inevitably superior, although remain mediocre comparative to other games of recent years. As with every Bethesda game, Skyrim can be lot of fun so long as you don't think about it too hard; after a while you start wondering those niggling little questions like "how are these torches still burning when this dungeon has apparently remained untouched for thousands of years?" Or "how can I make a 30-pound suit of armour out of 5 1-pound metal ingots?" or "How the hell did so many bugs slip past QA? Seriously, there's a pile of rubble just floating 2 feet off the floor there." Skyrim's map is also slightly larger than Oblivion's, but it suffers from exactly the same problems: while the scale of the game may be impressive, quality is more important than quantity. I don't care about having virtually infinite quests to complete spread across more dungeons than you can count when nearly all of them are boring fetch quests or similar and every dungeon is just copy+paste of one of four other dungeons. Having dozens of towns sounds impressive, up until you realise that the alleged capital of Skyrim literally only has 9 houses in it. The most disappointing failure of scale is the characters: there must be thousands of them, but there's not one personality between them (and only maybe 20 VAs as well). The main narrative is unimaginably bland; centreing around a civil war in the eponymous province. Predictably, the player can choose which faction to join, but joining either side results in identical quests with the names switched round. Combat is similarly broken: since increasing your magic skill only reduces the amount of mana used (and you can't make your own spells any more), fights consist of either one-shotting enemies with sneak attacks with a bow or mashing the attack button in melee until the red bar is empty (the block skill is even more worthless than it was in Oblivion). As previously mentioned, even after a slew of official patches, bugs are a constant feature, whether it's quests failing to activate or merely items falling through the shelves they've been placed on, leaving modders to actually complete the game. Expand
  38. Mar 16, 2013
    The series improved the melee combat system but retained lots of the flaws from oblivion. Using magic is no fun in this game, the main story isnt just that interesting, stealth feels broken because of dumb npc's, your actions dont have that much influence in the game world. Interface is an insult to PC gamers. Every dungeon looks the same and many more flaws.

It still is a fun

It still is a fun sandbox-RPG world to explore with splendid visuals, and a more raw, realistic feeling environment. And the mod support is incredible.
  39. Dec 3, 2013
    I bought this Game via Steam; based only on the Metacritic score (without knowing the previous series and without beeing too much into RPG, but very much enjoying RAGE from the same company) Result BIG MISTAKE !!!

Next time i will take the time to read User Rewievs more carefully. At first you are looking forward to plunge into that huge world of "Himmelsrand" and to get many hours

Next time i will take the time to read User Rewievs more carefully.
    At first you are looking forward to plunge into that huge world of "Himmelsrand" and to get many hours of fun.
    Now after only about 50 hours played i earased it to create more space for really captivating games.
    For a such highly rated game absolutely dissapointing.
    I felt like i got a huge gift box but the actual gift inside the box didn`t match up at all !
    i felt like getting a Matchbox car in a 1 square meter (m³) gift box.

In other words: yes you get a huge world wich would be great, but the tasks are so much the same that it becomes booring very fast for intense gamers like me.
    I actually like to dive into a storyline, but in Skyrim it is so overloaded that not even Magnus Carlsson could follow 5000 years of history and hundreds of persons (at first i thought: well it`s because you didnt play the other parts so "hang on", but after the 60iest Book i had to read it was just too much).

My overview:

NEGATIVE:
    - i dont like to mod. for me if the game is not working as it should after you bought it, the developers simply didnt do a good job! you won`t enjoy the game without mods and with the mods it gets more unstable… and this after 3 years not acceptable !!!

- in my opinon if you didnt follow the serie from the beginning you have far too many books to read to get into the whole story. Why not making one or two compressed movies summing the story up, or wraping it into Quests.

- little change. Be it inside or outside cities. repetative Quests.

- absolut unhandy gameplay for pc. while in the middst of boss-fights you have to manually sweep between courses or melee setup. the game has clearly been developed for consoles.

POITIVE:

- Huge world and i guess for the Series Fans a good continuation.

- Opens up many, many ways in which you can move the story (choosing Race, sides you take on, etc. gives you the feeling of beeing free in the World.

SUMMARY:
    - With the dimension of the created world i dont understand why they didnt invest one year more time to fill the game up with better content. Viewed from the outisde I guess they had a management Problem and spent far too much time on the world building and forgot about the rest.
    Clearly wouldnt buy it again. neither the DLC`s.
  40. Aug 7, 2014
    With the recent news of layoffs and restructuring, the big sites such as IGN are now officially in trouble and they have only themselves to blame. With games like Skyrim getting an average of 94 (a near perfect score), one has to wonder about the quality of journalism on these sites. Do not get me wrong, there is a lot to like about Skyrim and the game certainly does not deserve a 0/10,With the recent news of layoffs and restructuring, the big sites such as IGN are now officially in trouble and they have only themselves to blame. With games like Skyrim getting an average of 94 (a near perfect score), one has to wonder about the quality of journalism on these sites. Do not get me wrong, there is a lot to like about Skyrim and the game certainly does not deserve a 0/10, but there is also a lot to complain about and thus equally people that give the game 10/10 are devoid of critical thought and even the most basic understanding of good game design.

Of course people have different tastes and they use 1 to 10 scale differently, but even a complete imbecile can see the flaws Skyrim has. The game is buggy, unoptimised with annoying graphical and gameplay glitches, horrible AI and even worse UI. But I won't even go into the technical stuff, because even if the game was as smooth as heaven itself, it still manages to fall short just based on game design decisions from Bethesda.

1. The story is lackluster and unoriginal. You are the chosen one and have to kill the big evil monster that wants to destroy the world. Yawn.. how original.
    2. The dialogues are horrible. Most NPCs have 2 or 3 lines with some important characters a few lines more. But my main gripe is that these characters are completely devoid of any personality or uniqueness - the fact which is even more obvious due to horrible voice acting where a couple of voice actors use the same voice for hundreds of different NPCs - thus completely breaking the immersion which Skyrim clearly strives for. Beyond a couple of jokes here and there, some vary basic background to their character, there is literally nothing memorable about any of them.
    3. Quests are linear and boring. This is probably my biggest problem with Skyrim. Vast, vast majority of quests are MMO quality. For those of you who never played any MMO, MMO quality of quests boils down to this simple formula: go to X, talk to or kill Y, fetch Z and come back or deliver it to some other character, which will send you on another quest with the exactly same formula. Occasionally you will have an escort quest, or a "big battle", but that is pretty much it. This fact is even more painful due to annoying and lazy quest markers which literally hand hold you to every place, every item, every NPC that you are supposed to find, so there is nothing for you to work out for yourself.
    4. Level scaling. Although level scaling is not as horrible as it was in Oblivion, it is still there, leaving the player feeling like the whole world is turning around him and resulting in the diminished sense of progression.
    5. Loot scaling is a horrible idea. There is no sense of progression when the loot is scaled to your level. No matter where you go, you will never experience that magical moment when you find an amazing piece of equipment.
    6. Geographical design is horrible. Its just too easy to navigate even if you install a mod to remove the quest marker. Forget about feeling lost in a huge world. The design is so simple even a 6 year old can find his way around. Basically you have 1 big town in the middle, and then a road that goes around it connecting other towns. Everything is close to that road and that makes the world feel much smaller than it could have been.

I could go on with dumb AI of your followers, unkillable NPCs, dumb down puzzles which all boil down to matching symbols that lie right in front of your face, etc... but this will suffice. Skyrim is a below average RPG in everything but its size. Combat is decent, graphic, sound and music are very good, the game a has good and interesting lore, and dragons look and act like real dragons (even though they are a bit too easy to kill).
  41. Nov 14, 2011
    A lot of these reviews contain complaints about the UI. Don't get stuck on small issues like this. Ya its built for consoles but despite that, this game is great. The graphics are not the best, especially after we all played BF3, however the actual world is stunning and beautiful. I like all the new combat mechanics seen in this game. I don't think I will ever get tired of sneaking up onA lot of these reviews contain complaints about the UI. Don't get stuck on small issues like this. Ya its built for consoles but despite that, this game is great. The graphics are not the best, especially after we all played BF3, however the actual world is stunning and beautiful. I like all the new combat mechanics seen in this game. I don't think I will ever get tired of sneaking up on someone and slitting their throat. The quest literally go on forever. The world is huge. You have complete power on how you experience this game. That is why skyrim is a great game. Yes there are some glitches but I don't those into account when reviewing games anymore unless they are game breaking. What release doesn't have glitches anyway? All in all if you like rpg's and you like to play the game your own way then buy this game! The content is massive, the detail is nothing short of amazing, and the experiences are just plain fun. Definitely my choice for game of the year. Expand
  42. Nov 15, 2011
    In my opinion this is the best game of the series of scrolls. Graphics up to date. Huge options for the main character. I hope for large-scale additions.
  43. Nov 18, 2011
    This is the first Elder Scroll game I have played, and I regret that I haven't dipped in before. I have been in love with this game since the moment i walked into it's beautiful world. I have no past bias, no delusions that this game doesn't have rough edges. There are bugs, some funny, some ugly, but the sheer wonder and joy inherent in the game are excellent. After years of playingThis is the first Elder Scroll game I have played, and I regret that I haven't dipped in before. I have been in love with this game since the moment i walked into it's beautiful world. I have no past bias, no delusions that this game doesn't have rough edges. There are bugs, some funny, some ugly, but the sheer wonder and joy inherent in the game are excellent. After years of playing MMOs and Linear storyline type games, this open ended rpg has won a special place in my heart. Expand
  44. Nov 18, 2011
    More and more modern games sacrifice content for graphics, Betheseda's Skyrim is fortunately not one of them. Skyrim is a massive, multifaceted world that really pushes the strengths of previous Elder Scrolls games. The quests are a step above what we have seen before, the world aesthetics are beautiful though the graphics do bennifit from the latest mods that are available. TheMore and more modern games sacrifice content for graphics, Betheseda's Skyrim is fortunately not one of them. Skyrim is a massive, multifaceted world that really pushes the strengths of previous Elder Scrolls games. The quests are a step above what we have seen before, the world aesthetics are beautiful though the graphics do bennifit from the latest mods that are available. The ambient noises blend well with the over arching music themes and character noises. The lighting and sound mesh together in dungeons to really give the gamer a feeling of danger. Whilst Skyrim offers an unprecedented sandbox style fantasy world rpg, possibly unrivaled in the modern genre it isn't all a bed of rose petals. The interface for the PC is atrocious. Bugs abound all over the game. The game is pathetically easy and whilst the world is stunning and the cities gorgeous, the larger cities feel like they consist of a handful of houses consisting of barely a handful of people. The writing fails at times and could of used a bit more work. This is an excellent game but through silly mistakes, glitches and the heavy handed UI console port I cannot see how it could be rated above an 8 out of 10. Skyrim is desperately in need of the upcoming mods the PC community will put together. Expand
  45. Nov 18, 2011
    Open world, free to be explored with many hidden "gems" to find. The story is both engaging and direct for those seeking a more linier path to "completing" this game. However for most of us the game will literally have no ending. It has the bonus of an unending(litteraly) supply of quests for those who want them. It's vast, and it's options are even more so. Anyone who gives this gameOpen world, free to be explored with many hidden "gems" to find. The story is both engaging and direct for those seeking a more linier path to "completing" this game. However for most of us the game will literally have no ending. It has the bonus of an unending(litteraly) supply of quests for those who want them. It's vast, and it's options are even more so. Anyone who gives this game a low rating would likely be doing so because the game is not an MMO. It is a single player game plain and simple. Impressive grafix and a mostly intuative control system allow users to jump right in and begin their journey. This game becomes what you want of it. Desire a life of bravery and justice for all... you can make it so... Want to pinch the pocket of every noble you can find...go ahead.
    There really is no wrong way to play skyrim other then to not play it at all ;) If you want todo it then you can. Ok spent to much time here... I'm going back to being the archmage! ;)
  46. Nov 19, 2011
    Game of the Year for the next few years -- this game is simply outstanding. As for the 100+ negative reviews... even if my wife divorced me, my kids hated me, I got fired from work and my dog peed on my laptop, I could not imagine being in such a deranged state of mind to as to give this game a "0" rating. For those of you who have experienced the issue of flickering shadows/sunlight,Game of the Year for the next few years -- this game is simply outstanding. As for the 100+ negative reviews... even if my wife divorced me, my kids hated me, I got fired from work and my dog peed on my laptop, I could not imagine being in such a deranged state of mind to as to give this game a "0" rating. For those of you who have experienced the issue of flickering shadows/sunlight, upgrading to the latest version of graphics drivers (nvidia) did the trick for me. Expand
  47. Nov 21, 2011
    The latest installment of the The Elder Scrolls saga is amazing. I have already clocked in over 80 hours in the game, and I have enjoyed every second of it. Well, mostly.

The game starts off very strong, and yet slow. I did not like being unable to control anything with my character for a while. But after you get control, the game really picks up. The game definitely shows a collaboration of everything Bethesda has implemented into their other releases over the years. Some of these things improve the game, yet some hinder it. The shear amount of player choice is amazing. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game, even after completing several guilds and most of the main story.

However, I feel like the guild quest chains are too short. While most of the quests were fun, I didn't feel as accomplished with the guild's completion as I had in Oblivion. And the minor objectives given at the end of a guild feel repetitive.

The game looks great. The more neutral color tones work well with the rest of the game. Though, there have been several times where my frame rate suddenly drops and lags, or various textures don't render correctly and I'm left looking at a shiny variation or a pure white base model. Not to mention the countless times that the game shuts itself off on me. I am hoping that those issues are fixed in the upcoming patch.

I have fun with this game. It is a good way to waste away hours in a blink of an eye. Although I love the game to death right now, I don't feel like it's worth a 10 rating. It's great, but not the overall best. Hopefully once more of the bugs have been fixed or the expansions and modding community add more to the game, it will become a game that deserves a perfect score.
  48. Nov 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I play a lot of RPG games and this had to be the best of them all. You start the game and within 5 minutes, a dragon appears. The story line is brilliant. The amount of quests you can do without storyline is immaculate. The map size is incredible and the expanse of places you can explore is unbelievable. I've started my second save to explore the other side of Skyrim. For anyone thinking of buying this game, do it and enjoy. Expand
  49. Nov 25, 2011
    Skyim, put simply, is a fantastic game, worthy of the undivided attention of any fan of role playing games. It is deep, well written and acted, well designed and beautiful. The game does have the occasional bug, and the characters still look fairly creepy, but those are quibbles - this is the best video game this year, and continually surprises. Honestly. thank you, Bethesda!
  50. Nov 26, 2011
    Simply great game, can't fault it. Graphics look great, it plays well and the story is interesting and follows on from the 2 previous great games. Don't think bethsda has made a bad game yet.
  51. Nov 27, 2011
    It's not Oblivion, it certainly isn't Morrowind. Good fun though! This game is probably the most approachable Elder Scrolls game so far but it has to make sacrifices to be that. [Insert generic anti console rant here]. It's made anti RPG players pure fanatics for the genre by restricting the options. The ones that are left are glorious, just not as great as some of us are used to.
  52. Dec 2, 2011
    GOTY...no doubt. So much to see and do. Engaging quests. Well polished game on release, with only the most minor of glitches (compare this to TW2 and the abomination that was Rage). I am 37 hours in and feel like I have only scratched the surface; I reckon I'll get an easy 200 hrs of quality gaming out of this. I will say it again; GOTY without a doubt.
  53. Dec 5, 2011
    100 hours in game and no bugs encountered, this game is a masterwork, is the best game of the year ;)
    bethesda ha hecho un gran trabajo con este juego, una verdadera obra maestra, espero que gane todos los malditos premios habidos y por haber xD Larga vida a SKYRIM!
  54. Dec 5, 2011
    I usually have my priorities in line and do not get addicted to games like this, but my upcoming finals might have to take a backseat to all of this awesome.
  55. Dec 6, 2011
    its awesome. rich, huge and fun. the best elder scrolls so far. over 300 hours of game play. the best rpg game ever made. and on the top 3 of the best games ever made. in my opinion. buy it!!
  56. Dec 20, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed the game, despite any flaws it has. The biggest problems were the lack of diversity when playing as different races (ie, Altmer not treated any differently than an Orc, other than being called "Orc" rather than "Elf" by NPCs). Another problem was the repetition in the questions, which seemed to be mostly made up of Got to X Cave, retrieve/slay Y. Additionally, the mainI thoroughly enjoyed the game, despite any flaws it has. The biggest problems were the lack of diversity when playing as different races (ie, Altmer not treated any differently than an Orc, other than being called "Orc" rather than "Elf" by NPCs). Another problem was the repetition in the questions, which seemed to be mostly made up of Got to X Cave, retrieve/slay Y. Additionally, the main quest seems to be halfarsed towards the end and you will be disappointed by the ending. By this point in the series, I expect this sort of stuff, though it would have been nice if they had gone a bit beyond. Expand
  57. Dec 22, 2011
    Let me start out by saying - this game is easily the best of its' genre.

However, it does have some problems that many people will probably overlook. The re-playability of the game is really good, but the re-telling of the story isn't so great. The story in itself is ok, but totally takes away from your immersion in the world. There are some spurious reasons behind making your character
    Let me start out by saying - this game is easily the best of its' genre.

The story in itself is ok, but totally takes away from your immersion in the world. There are some spurious reasons behind making your character the protagonist in many occasions. After a while you get used to being the man who becomes king because everyone else around just says "Hey yeah, totally good idea, because like... you're THAT good".

I'm really mostly looking forward to the creation kit and seeing what people come up with on their own. Bethesda have done an awe inspiring job of graphics and game-engine building, but a god awful job of creating an immersive storyline and some of the voice acting is sub-par at best - others are great, like Esbern.

The follower they give you at the start has a lot of AI issues and really annoying habits, I'm not totally sure why they did this, however the AI programming and follower control needs some overhaul in my opinion.
  58. Jan 1, 2012
    They said combat system will be imroved but it is still years behind games like WoW. It is very unpolished and retarded, especially if you try using magic and dual-weild. You need to constantly open equipment or favirotes menu to switch between weapons and spells because hotkeys are FUBAR. Stupid blocking animations (adding delays to weapon switching etc) make situation even worse.

I was

I was not able to get good feeling of Nords (there are MMO games with better atmosphere and music), random dungeons are still copy & paste (and waste of time, don't do dungeons!), quests seems to be weak and flat (nothing like New Vegas), and why they introduced random or repeatable quests in single player game is beyond my understanding! Like someone will do stupid repeatable quests in single player game for the pure sake of 700 gold, LOL! I would recommend New Vegas much more then this.
  59. Jan 3, 2012
    The game Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, name that brought so much smile on gamer faces.

This game, the state it is now, it's still in beta. Unsheathe your weapon while crouching allows you to run normal speed. Developing stealth is a joke. If you want to build up anything combat related fast, pick a mammoth where there's a tree or 2 and keep running around them. Wanna try even something more

This game, the state it is now, it's still in beta.
    If you want to build up anything combat related fast, pick a mammoth where there's a tree or 2 and keep running around them. Wanna try even something more fancy? Use 1st stage Whirlwind sprint upstream.

And what is the use for the horse? Sometimes it helps, sometimes it just makes a suicide run against everything. The speed barely matches you sprinting around combat ready. Whereas on the horse you're completely helpless. You can't talk or interact with anything, you can't even use the other hand to cast a spell or swing a sword to defend yourself.

Armors some look fancy some just clip through your character's skin. Ouch I say. And for Argonian and Khajit races. Would it have been such a trouble making the tail slide below the armor or making the armor custom build, like having a hole for the tail.

Dragons become a joke if you want to. They select weird landing spots and are unable to defend themselves against arrows or spells. It doesn't take much to see where they land 80% of the time and then running to distance where you can hit it and it still lands on the same place. And when your character is 60% behind a large object they are unable to attack. For some reason they just don't bother coming any closer.

Then the usual battles and difficulty. Yes clearing a normal dungeon, fortress, cave. With a stealth bowman it's a disaster. If you play with stealth and arrows you can develop your stealth like 14 points while clearing one. It takes from 20 minutes to an hour to clear one with harder difficulty like expert or master. Even with 45 stealth your enemies are totally blind and in "shadow" area you are part of the furniture. Even running over you doesn't blow your cover straight. People see 4 of their mates dead and go to everyone saying, "I will make whoever did this pay!". Or listen for them to repeat the same songs, stories, chit chat of the same woman, same gold and glory. Guy can take 30 arrows up the nose and say every time, "I guess it was only my imagination". Some say this is fun..? Yea if you listen to it for 4 hours for clearing dungeons you want to switch to lower difficulty and feel like a real stealth archer should. It's pointless to raise the level. When you encounter the problem of swarm of strong people in one room as weak stealth bowman. Just shoot few arrows, every time you re-enter a room and after the 3rd time you get back in the enemy stations have been reset so they can be found sitting at a table or watching the wall. With a ranged build your ideal places are somewhat weird ledges that you can walk over at ease but the opponent thinks it's impossible route. Yes you shoot an arrow, walk few steps back, opponent turns back and starts running around the room, then you take a step forward and s/he'll come the same route.

With a melee player this might however get somewhat satisfying. If you don't build stealth or pick a bow on the way that is, you MIGHT actually have a challenge up your face with harder difficulties like expert and master. In dungeons, forts and so on. It ain't so. Yea you clear up halfway of the place at ease. Then comes the little bit more experienced fighter that's capable of 3 hit and finishing strike you. And the leaders can do that in one blow. One way is having a table or fence around. You simply time your hit right and you can hit that baddie once, then jump over the fence or table and he will have to run around that. Now how fun is that?
    Dragons will be a pain when you run a warrior like this so what's the point if you can't hit one flying little lizard, comes floating next to you spitting fire or ice. You just can't hit it or force it to come down. You lose the ability to fight your main objective in the game.

There is simply no point in raising the difficulty above adept so you can keep the overall combat and exploring, somewhat, pleasing.

And yes your character can jump if you tap jump button while down and rising up.

And then there's the final touch. Eventually you have to choose a side. You make a game this scale and don't add grey area.

Most of the game's score comes from beautiful environment. Great story since you make it only as big as you like thanks to all the quests around the world. Visual, story. Easy to use UI once you get hang of it.

I wished that the fight animations would've been a bit more versatile. And not having pretty much the same animations for 3 weapons.

Yes. My opinion stays. Still beta...
  60. Jan 14, 2012
    Skyrim is a classic example of a game with all the potential in the world but that falls victim to repetition and uninspired characters and quests. The main storyline is interesting enough to keep you glued to your seat. The game kicks off with you, a prisoner sentenced to death, escaping a city called Helgen amidst a surprise dragon attack and going on to discover that you're a rareSkyrim is a classic example of a game with all the potential in the world but that falls victim to repetition and uninspired characters and quests. The main storyline is interesting enough to keep you glued to your seat. The game kicks off with you, a prisoner sentenced to death, escaping a city called Helgen amidst a surprise dragon attack and going on to discover that you're a rare individual known as a "Dragonborn." Dragon encounters and epic trips up gigantic, treacherous mountains follow as you learn more about who you are and what you can do to cleanse the world of evil and make things right again. Then come the side quests. Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests aside, Skyrim is absolutely filled to the brim with some of the most pathetic, repetitive quests I've ever undertaken in an open world role-playing game. Nine times out of ten, it's "Go collect this, then return to me!" or "Go kill so-and-so, then return to me!" There is no originality to be found and by the time you've fetched the 50th item for the 50th uninteresting character, you'll be ready to tear your hair out and call it a day. The dungeons in which you'll be doing most of your fetching and killing are largely repetitive affairs, too, with copy-and-paste layouts and repetitive puzzles that make each one feel exactly like the last. These gripes aside, not all is bad in the world of Skyrim. The world is large, the graphics are much improved over Oblivion, and the soundtrack is mesmerizing and memorable. The lockpicking system brought over from Fallout 3 is an excellent replacement for Oblivion's annoying one, too, and even the leveling system has been improved. Overall, Skyrim is a great game hampered by quests with no soul and uninteresting characters. Had it featured more interesting characters and a greater variety of quests and things to do - I missed the arenas from Oblivion, for example - I would've played until my eyes had rotted inside my skull. As it stands, however, Skyrim features a huge, gorgeous world to explore but offers little to do in the way of interesting activities once the story reaches a conclusion and you've assisted both the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Had there been more to do, this would've easily received a perfect score from me. Perhaps upcoming downloadable content will provide this game the interesting content it desperately needs. Expand
  61. Mar 6, 2012
    The game is visually great in my opinion. But the game has suffered greatly due to consolization because bethesda just wants more money from console kids... Truly a shame. The dungeons are just awful. YES, they are visually diverse and pretty. YES they all have a cool story to tell. BUT, you enter the dungeon, find books, dead bodies with stories etc... Then you continue down the linearThe game is visually great in my opinion. But the game has suffered greatly due to consolization because bethesda just wants more money from console kids... Truly a shame. The dungeons are just awful. YES, they are visually diverse and pretty. YES they all have a cool story to tell. BUT, you enter the dungeon, find books, dead bodies with stories etc... Then you continue down the linear corridor of the dungeon, find a treasure chest, kill some enemies, then you get to a 'boss' who is as easy as every other NPC but takes longer to kill and does something like electric bolts or a shout, then you kill him. Loot him and a treasure chest or something, and RIGHT THERE is the exit to the dungeon. 100% linear. This game is so casual it hurts Expand
  62. Mar 12, 2012
    Absolutely one of the best RPG I've ever played. There is so much to do, many places to explore and you can be anything you want. I have played over 150 hours now in total and there is still some side quests to be found. There is still some bugs and personally I miss multiplayer but these things doesnt ruin much.
  63. Dec 26, 2012
    I'm gonna keep this simple: BUY IT. As a lover of medieval RPGs, including Runescape and Dungeon Siege, I felt that I'd never be able to relive the beauty and freedom in games again. Until Skyrim came along. This game is absolutely beautiful, incredibly expansive, and is like no other game I have played. It is absolutely everything you would want in a free-to-roam middle earth-esqueI'm gonna keep this simple: BUY IT. As a lover of medieval RPGs, including Runescape and Dungeon Siege, I felt that I'd never be able to relive the beauty and freedom in games again. Until Skyrim came along. This game is absolutely beautiful, incredibly expansive, and is like no other game I have played. It is absolutely everything you would want in a free-to-roam middle earth-esque hack-and-slash game. There are so many characters you can interact with, and so many quests. And it is true that later in the game it becomes a little repetitive, but by then you'll have wasted 100+ hours on the main quest and exploring the map. Most of the negative ratings come from a glitchy past, but with the most recent editions, you will very rarely find any . Stop being hesitant and buy this incredibly underrated game. Expand
  64. Mar 10, 2013
    Every TES game from Bethesda SHOULD have been a 10. However the size of the game is NOT an excuse. These game are LOADED with bugs and glitches. It is inexcusable by Bethesda. If you have the manpower to make the large games you do, than you have the manpower to clean it up right before you release it. It is a shame that TES has the potential to be a legend among games but can never seemEvery TES game from Bethesda SHOULD have been a 10. However the size of the game is NOT an excuse. These game are LOADED with bugs and glitches. It is inexcusable by Bethesda. If you have the manpower to make the large games you do, than you have the manpower to clean it up right before you release it. It is a shame that TES has the potential to be a legend among games but can never seem to do anything but scratch the surface because of its bugs. Bethesda should be embarrassed that they can't properly polish up the games they push so much praise into.
    The game could have been a 10, but the army of bugs and glitches always seem to bring your character to his knees before any Dragon can.
  65. Mar 28, 2013
    Perfect RPG game. Limitless quests, good main story and good side quest stories, amazing graphics, lots of items, lots of thigs to do, huge map, this game wont be forgotten.
  66. Mar 31, 2013
    After playing all of the older elder scrolls games and many other RPGs, i was ecstatic to hear about Skyrim, and it did not disappoint. with all of the rich lore and masterful graphics, Skyrim takes the franchise to a whole new level. after spending over two hundred hours on this game i am not in the least bit board, and i will continue to play until TESO comes out. I highly recommend thisAfter playing all of the older elder scrolls games and many other RPGs, i was ecstatic to hear about Skyrim, and it did not disappoint. with all of the rich lore and masterful graphics, Skyrim takes the franchise to a whole new level. after spending over two hundred hours on this game i am not in the least bit board, and i will continue to play until TESO comes out. I highly recommend this game to all gamers. Expand
  67. Mar 31, 2013
    The best RPG ever made. I have been playing for 500 hours and still haven't done everything there is to do. The world is immersive and fun and the mod community make for almost unlimited potential. This might be the best game made, ever.
  68. Apr 3, 2013
    Before I bought Skyrim, I was wondering what all the fuss was with the Elder Scrolls series. I mean, I'm not the world's greatest RPG fan. I bought the game, and I was instantly absorbed in it. It has a dynamic storyline and an incredible level of immersion I'd never experienced before! A must-have for any gamer.
  69. Apr 7, 2013
    I would feel simply wrong if id rate this game lower then 10, it is simply epic and i dont know what else to say... It prooves me all over again how important optimizations are for games.. Simply put, game came out, 35 fps in whiterun.... Game now, 60 fps static in whiterun and EVERYWHERE, in ANY situations, with 2k textures, lots and lots of hd retextures, fxaa injector andI would feel simply wrong if id rate this game lower then 10, it is simply epic and i dont know what else to say... It prooves me all over again how important optimizations are for games.. Simply put, game came out, 35 fps in whiterun.... Game now, 60 fps static in whiterun and EVERYWHERE, in ANY situations, with 2k textures, lots and lots of hd retextures, fxaa injector and downsampling... And it is still better looking and better artwork wise then almost/if not every game that gets released or is released nowadays... It prooves me just how so many other companys cant fix their games and just abandon them... I swear john carmack is behind all this.. lol... I hope for lots and lots more patches/dlc´s in the future, hell, id spend every cent on this game..It can still grow so much bigger and can still expanded so, SO much more.. Patch 1.9 just helped push it over the line again.. AND it is only 29.99$ on steam. Another fact that helps pushing it knee-deep is the mod support... Thousands and thousands are out there and they become more hour per hour.. And for completion, my words to this game? AWESOME, in ANY aspect... simple as that!!... Expand
  70. Jun 26, 2013
    It's very hard for me to review this game. I loved Oblivion, which makes this all the more painful.
    Skyrim is just as good as Oblivion. There. I said it.
    Skyrim is EXACTLY as good as Oblivion. I get the feeling that most of Skyrim's raving fans have never played a previous Elder Scrolls game. There's very little progress for the series. Graphics have barely improved, gameplay is
    Skyrim is just as good as Oblivion. There. I said it.
    Skyrim is EXACTLY as good as Oblivion.

There's very little progress for the series. Graphics have barely improved, gameplay is identical, and quests are no more creative than they were in 2006.

For everything Bethesda added in Skyrim, they removed something else. To add more unique spells, they removed spellcrafting. To add dynamic shadows, they removed most of the HDR lighting quality. To add NPCs with more personality, they removed many of the total NPCs, leaving Skyrim barren. To add horse combat, they removed the first person horse camera. Etc. It just continues like this. Every time Bethesda adds something to a sequel, they take away something else. Essentially, Skyrim is the same game I played in 2006, and although I loved Oblivion then, it's not okay to sell the same game year after year.

Morrowind defined the genre in 2002, and 10 years later, Skyrim still hasn't significantly improved. It kills me to do this to a series I still like, but at most, Skyrim deserves an average review. Mods on the PC version are the only reason to buy this game instead of literally any other generic RPG to release in the last 10 years.
  71. Nov 1, 2013
    Skyrim never really lived up to its expectations for me. The hype was exciting, considering the games apparent vastness and depth. However in truth the game in many aspects pulls the player away from believing in its world and the developers hype was mere illusion. NPC's have 1 body type and little facial variation, all children have exactly the same face and the game won't stop makingSkyrim never really lived up to its expectations for me. The hype was exciting, considering the games apparent vastness and depth. However in truth the game in many aspects pulls the player away from believing in its world and the developers hype was mere illusion. NPC's have 1 body type and little facial variation, all children have exactly the same face and the game won't stop making this apparent. Dungeon designs are repeated and enemy types are too few for a world so large. Armor and weaponry is absolutely linear, removing all illusion of choice. Civilians repeat the same phrases over and over again as you pass them with different voice actors repeating the exact same written phrase as another. Junk items litter the game world that serve absolutely no purpose mechanically (other than filler). We were told that arrows would be hard to find to balance the fact bows were so good, but in reality it's impossible to run out and using a bow in melee combat is exploitable. The AI is quite poor, especially in stealth situations, and does not convey an illusion of a living world. The game was and still is littered with bugs and issues. It certainly wasn't a terrible game, but it was no where near as good as people seem to believe. My opinion is certainly in the minority, but hype is a powerful thing. Expand
  72. Dec 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first time I wrote a review since I never like to write in my second language, but I want to express my opinions on this (sorry) overrated game.

This game has a great open world. Such a big open world means that there are many many quests to do, to the point that it is overwhelming and you would say "no more at the moment please, I've got to do this one first". HOWEVER, most quests are largely the same which makes the game somehow repetitive.

The best part of the game is the landscape obviously, you can meditate or look out over the mountain without doing anything for hours. Making every hold and capital city look different is no easy feat as well. Architecture of the Dwemer ruins and the automatons are one of the best thought-out elements in the game, in my opinion probably because I am very interested in ancient civilisations. The best part is not only Dwemer ruins made a return from Morrowind, this time they added the tragic backstory of the Falmer as well. But when it comes to the best-designed dungeon, nothing can beat the chaotic, otherworldly and twisted Apocrypha from the Dragonborn add-on. You might even forget you are playing Skyrim when you are in the Apocrypha! The designers definitely deserve to be praised.

Another great element of the game is music. This game would not be complete without it. Composed by my favourite composer Jeremy Soule, many of the music are beautiful and calming, just like the landscape. He contributed so much to the atmosphere of the series. I like the little palette music (not included in the OST) you can hear when exploring in the wild as well.

Now let's talk about the flaws of this game no one can ignore. The first is, of course, bugs. I cannot count how many bugs I've encountered. It is actually the sole reason I waited until Legendary Edition was released so there would be less bugs by the time I start playing, but the number of bugs is still unacceptable. It has a HORRIBLE UI for PC as well. Fortunately the problem is gone after installing the SkyUI mod. The game feels like a half-polished port at best, forcing players to install unofficial patches to avoid bugs and fix the UI. It's pathetic that college programmers can do better job than Bethesda. Perhaps I should have expected it- it's Bethesda afterall.

Secondly, it has one of the worst plot I've seen in a bestselling RPG game. Not only the main questline (lame plot involving dragon bosses), but the College of Winterhold (kill a Thalmor and you become Arch-Mage) and Dark Brotherhood questline as well (kill someone, kill Astrid, kill the Emperor, and the story ended there. I was like "what?").

Choices are non-existent. One great example of the lack of choice is that you are asked by the Blades to kill Paarthurnax and you cannot decline their request, which is absurd considering the position of the Blades and the Dragonborn. You "can decide" to join the Stormcloaks or the Empire, but you can't remain neutral, and if you joined them, the outcome doesn't affect the story that much anyway. The disproportion of the scale of the world/landscape and the writing is almost laughable to me.
    I have a minor complaint but many people might agree with me the lack of depth in NPCs. Most NPCs can be categorized into quest-givers, merchants, enemies and followers. For followers, you can only ask them to follow you, do something for you, or go home. Most of the NPCs/followers don't have backstory. You don't feel a bond with the followers, perhaps except for Serana. This is probably unavoidable because of the lack of VAs and large amount of NPCs, but it's a shame that you can't have more interaction with your favourite characters or to know more about their backstories.
    Even marriage is quite pointless, they just move into your house without any more interaction other than to cook you food or share the shop's profit. To be honest I don't even understand why Bethesda included the option to marry a NPC if you can't do anything with them.

Combat is one of the weaknesses of the game, although not as bad as the plot. Melee combat is boring and most of the time it's just pure button mashing. Fighting dragons can be exciting at first, but after a while it gets dull. Still, I like the idea of Shout from a gameplay viewpoint. Even though it is unavoidable that they had to make dragons a main factor in the storyline, they should have written a better story.

Overall, I think this game is enjoyable by everyone regardless of age (ironically which stems from its shallowness), unlike DA:O, which I consider its counterpart but can be quite intimidating at first. However, DAO is better executed and has more depth. I fear Bethesda is running out of ideas for its games since Oblivion. Maybe it's time for Bethesda to make their game maturer or darker, involving romance or even sex in its main plot? There is also a more important task left for its programmers: "Back to Basics- Learn How To Debug Games".
  73. Mar 18, 2014
    Subtract everything you liked about the other elder scrolls and well you basically have this game. A very limited spell system, with an overpowered fireball, game play that feels more like an mmo than an elder scrolls, very little combat on main thorough fares, even in the wilderness battles are few and far between. Combined with that and the fact that enemy spells were hitting meSubtract everything you liked about the other elder scrolls and well you basically have this game. A very limited spell system, with an overpowered fireball, game play that feels more like an mmo than an elder scrolls, very little combat on main thorough fares, even in the wilderness battles are few and far between. Combined with that and the fact that enemy spells were hitting me through a solid mountain when I wasn't even in line of sight, demolished any chance of me playing this game past that point. Expand
  74. Jul 11, 2014
    A bit overrated in my opinion, but still a solid game that gave me 50 hours of fun. The graphics are impressive, but not as glorious as everyone says they are. They are about the same as the first Assassin's Creed, which came out in 2007, 4 years before Skyrim. The combat system was really disappointing and got old fast. The dungeons also got old quick. They all seemed exactly alike to meA bit overrated in my opinion, but still a solid game that gave me 50 hours of fun. The graphics are impressive, but not as glorious as everyone says they are. They are about the same as the first Assassin's Creed, which came out in 2007, 4 years before Skyrim. The combat system was really disappointing and got old fast. The dungeons also got old quick. They all seemed exactly alike to me and were fun at first but just got boring after doing a few. But the story was great and I enjoyed it very much, and the DLC was great as well. The characters could have used a lot of work, and just seemed bland and boring and made Skyrim a slightly depressing and lonely place because of it. Overall I give it a 7/10 Expand
  75. Dec 3, 2011
    People just **** about things that aren't perfect. Well, welcome to the gaming industry and life. Nothing's perfect, but this is not, I repeat NOT an expansion to Oblivion. There IS actually a lot more and exciting content. But please, if you don't like it go back to your repetitive Call of Duty. If you didn't notice the better graphics then I suggest you upgrade your video card. OtherPeople just **** about things that aren't perfect. Well, welcome to the gaming industry and life. Nothing's perfect, but this is not, I repeat NOT an expansion to Oblivion. There IS actually a lot more and exciting content. But please, if you don't like it go back to your repetitive Call of Duty. If you didn't notice the better graphics then I suggest you upgrade your video card. Other than that, Quotation forthcoming. Expand
  76. Dec 30, 2011
    Another vast sandbox game. I sunk about 250 hours in it, which should tell you something about value for the buck. Still it has plenty of issues, which is to be expected from a Gamebryo game. Interface (as Critical Miss cleverly noted) is made by and for the crab people. Camera control is bad. Physics are bad. AI isn't even bad, it is borderline malicious. Quest and other scripted eventsAnother vast sandbox game. I sunk about 250 hours in it, which should tell you something about value for the buck. Still it has plenty of issues, which is to be expected from a Gamebryo game. Interface (as Critical Miss cleverly noted) is made by and for the crab people. Camera control is bad. Physics are bad. AI isn't even bad, it is borderline malicious. Quest and other scripted events often break and wont progress without manual intervention via console. Game challenge scales very poorly with level and crafting skills make it worse. Does the content make up for it? Possibly. Still the game could've bee 10 times better if only Bethesda moved on to a game engine that isn't 10+ years old. Expand
  77. Oct 17, 2012
    This is nowhere near a quality rpg like Planescape: Torment. Average plot, Bland NPcs,sluggish combat. It is only a decent game because of its visual design and quality world and dragons........
  78. Nov 23, 2011
    Beneath Bethesda's usual sloppy laziness lies the makings of a fantastic game. The world, the lore, the culture, and the atmosphere of the game are very rich, but the many flaws and bugs hold it back. The textures are extremely poor, the animations are pretty awful (good luck shooting things with magic or arrows, since the enemy models tend to float around quickly, independent of anyBeneath Bethesda's usual sloppy laziness lies the makings of a fantastic game. The world, the lore, the culture, and the atmosphere of the game are very rich, but the many flaws and bugs hold it back. The textures are extremely poor, the animations are pretty awful (good luck shooting things with magic or arrows, since the enemy models tend to float around quickly, independent of any realistic or predictable movements), and while the combat is far less "floaty" than in FO3 or Oblivion, and generally feels quite satisfying with a sword and board, the floatiness is still present when using magic, bows, spell and sword etc. The lack of any blocking mechanism with most of the combat options, ease and speed of floating around in circles, and high amount of damage required to defeat a lot of enemies, mean a lot of fights will revolve around the you and your adversary floating in circles around each other mashing the attack button. The AI is still dreadful too, and you can happily shoot someone in the face with an arrow from a few feet away, only to hear them loudly exclaim "WHO'S THERE", shrug their shoulders, and return to what they were doing.

I've heard a lot of people argue that mods will fix the huge amount of bugs in the game (almost constant crashing, giant purple crystal looking trees/objects/characters loading up, etc), as well as the many other problems, however Bethesda's recent actions suggest they will do everything in their power to stop this- for those of you who don't know, for some bizarre reason, Skyrim is capped to use only 2GB of RAM (about as much as a basic laptop has), resulting in constant stuttering, framerate drop, and crashes. Some helpful fellow made a fix to bypass this; allowing the game to run without so many hiccups, but Bethesda patched the game to add more DRM (which of course only affected those that had already bought the game anyway) which broke this fix. A new fix has been made by someone, but it begs the question of why Bethesda not only didn't fix this themselves, but then prevented others from fixing it.
  79. Nov 26, 2011
    This game is amazing. I am almost 30 hours in and feel like I just started the game. Around every corner is something a little more exciting.
  80. Feb 1, 2012
    Man, you orctowngrot said every thing. This game start amazing, became great, then very good, then good, then ok, then mediocre, and finaly get boring. There's no challenge after you reach level 40. I'm level 46 and just kill everything without effort; dragons, bandits, trolls, falmers, elves, orcs, nords, mages. The quests get boring. The gameplay it's repetitive. In the end, you justMan, you orctowngrot said every thing. This game start amazing, became great, then very good, then good, then ok, then mediocre, and finaly get boring. There's no challenge after you reach level 40. I'm level 46 and just kill everything without effort; dragons, bandits, trolls, falmers, elves, orcs, nords, mages. The quests get boring. The gameplay it's repetitive. In the end, you just don't want play it anymore. Just get tired. Expand
  81. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is one of the best games if not the best I've played this generation. There is almost an unlimited amount of things to do and many places to see. You can walk into a town because you are there to do a certain quest and by the time you leave the town you almost forget why you originally went there because of all the things there are to do. This game's AI is a major improvementThis game is one of the best games if not the best I've played this generation. There is almost an unlimited amount of things to do and many places to see. You can walk into a town because you are there to do a certain quest and by the time you leave the town you almost forget why you originally went there because of all the things there are to do. This game's AI is a major improvement over the AI in Oblivion and the facial animation difference is like night and day. If you enjoy a lush story driven world with a great history and great lore behind it GET THIS GAME! The music of the game is great and on par with its predecessors (Oblivion had great music.). You'll enjoy the musical scores as you explore the harsh mountains of Skyrim and delve into the deep caverns and ruins. Another big improvement over Oblivion is the voice acting. In Oblivion they had only around 12 voice actors. In Skyrim there is around 75 actors doing 150+ roles! You will be hard pressed to find any of the NPC's in the game with the same voice unlike in Oblivion. The visuals are also wonderful. The races look like how you picture them in your mind and the animation is detailed and well done. The scenery of the game is also outstanding! While you travel either by foot or on horseback you will have your breath taken away when you see the highly detailed mountains, and the towns scattered all over the huge landscape. You will see castles built hanging off the sides of mountains and deep caverns with springs running through them. When you explore the dwarven ruins you can sense how they lived and the technology they possessed just from the scenery. Sure there are a few bland textures once in awhile, but that is to be expected when it comes to a game of this size. Another welcome improvement to the series is the addition of dual wielding weapons and magic. If you want to be a rogue dual wielding daggers you can. Want to be a TRUE battlemage with a spell on one hand and an axe in another you can! If you want to be the most powerful mage in Skyrim you can! You can have a destruction spell on one hand and a restoration spell on the other so you can lay waste your opponent while being able to heal yourself without having to go into the menus. Also, you can have the same spell on both hands and cast them both at once for a more powerful version of the spell (If you have the perks.). The crafting system is also greatly improved. You can smith your armor from the ore you receive from mining and then enchant it by disenchanting a magical item and taking that enchant and putting it on your item. You can go and explore the forest for herbs and make powerful potions and poisons. The main story is very well written and paced well. The side quests are so well written and produced that they are on par and even exceed main stories in other games this generation. I've played the game for 75 hours so far and I still haven't even come close to running out of things to do! Also, the replay value of the game is very good since there are so many choices to make that effect the way the game is played. I was playing while on Skype with my friend and we were at around the same point in the game, but we both got to the same point through very different means. The only downfall of the game is the UI. It is obviously made for a console and because of this I would give the game a 9.8, but I can't on metacritic. The UI doesn't make this game unplayable though it just isn't very accurate sometimes, but once you get used to it it's not a problem. This game is by far the best bang for the buck this generation! I really believe that this game will receive GOTY for 2011! Expand
  82. Nov 16, 2011
    I loved the past "Elder Scrolls" games, but this one blows it out of the water. The graphics on the PC blow the consoles out of the water with the use of the higher end graphics cards. Great game-play, Great story, Great controls, Great graphics, Great sound....yup. One awesome game!
  83. Nov 17, 2011
    I'll preface this review by saying that while I was a huge fan of Morrowind, I couldn't bring myself to like Oblivion. I should also note that while I haven't finished the game, I'm 60 hours in, and I feel that I've seen enough of the game to write an unbiased review. First I'll discuss the good. The world is huge, immersive, and has a nice aesthetic even if the graphics are a bit dated.I'll preface this review by saying that while I was a huge fan of Morrowind, I couldn't bring myself to like Oblivion. I should also note that while I haven't finished the game, I'm 60 hours in, and I feel that I've seen enough of the game to write an unbiased review. First I'll discuss the good. The world is huge, immersive, and has a nice aesthetic even if the graphics are a bit dated. Music and sound is top notch. Quests are fun and so far non-repetitive. Dungeon layouts are varied and I've seen very little copy/pasting. Surprisingly few bugs for a Bethesda release. Both the amount of content in the game and the attention to detail is staggering. Now for the bad... The game is too easy even on master difficulty. The UI is terrible and it's especially difficult to switch to and from dual wielding melee weapons. Melee combat is bad, though I admit I'm enjoying stealth gameplay. Textures are low resolution. Not enough voice actors. NPCs repeat the same lines too often. Enemy AI is dumb as a rock. Dragon AI is dumb as a rock. Not enough dungeon types. You've got Castle/fort, Nord ruin, Dwarven ruin, and cave. That's it. Weather changes too quickly. Various other bugs such as NPCs teleporting around or a merchant standing backwards at their store counter. While that may seem like alot of negatives, most of them are nitpicks and don't detract too much from the overall feel of the game. Overall, not quite as good as Morrowind, but much better than Oblivion. With mods, patches, and tweaks I could see it becoming a 9/10. Expand
  84. Nov 19, 2011
    Skyrim lives up to its hype and is truly an amazing game. The game is almost everything I wanted except for a few minor glitches, but that's to be expected from a game that hasn't been out that long.

Gameplay: there's so much you can do in this game that it's almost too overwhelming? There's over a couple hundred hours of gameplay which is an incredible amount of time to keep you occupied.

Graphics: The graphics are amazing. I have installed many graphics enhancing mods that have already been released and it looks AWESOME. The people that complain about how bad the graphics are either needs to get better hardware or get their eyes checked out. Seriously, how could anyone say this game looks bad compared to most games released this year?

Sound: The soundtrack is great. However, it's a lot of the same track being played over and over and it might get tiredsome. Additionally, the game doesn't work for me unless I set the sound quality lower. This has been an issue for many so hopefully they will solve it soon. Still not worth docking a point over this though.

Replay value: A TON of replay value. You can make as many characters with millions of variations of what you do and the great thing about this is that almost nothing needs to be repeated. (as long as you don't want to).

All in all, this is a game-of-the-year material that no one should overlook. Note that I am NOT a fanboy and that this is my first time actually enjoying an Elder Scrolls game. If anything just try it out at your friends place or watch some youtube videos, it'll change your world!!!!!
  85. Nov 21, 2011
    We'll ill be damned they did it, they brought back all the things i loved from Morrowind and made what i would consider the best game in the series so far, Skyrim is like a brilliant mix of oblivion and Morrowind and a little of fallout thrown in. Gone are the class's and birth signs in favor of a much more open game play style that just hits all the right buttons, they borrowed the perkWe'll ill be damned they did it, they brought back all the things i loved from Morrowind and made what i would consider the best game in the series so far, Skyrim is like a brilliant mix of oblivion and Morrowind and a little of fallout thrown in. Gone are the class's and birth signs in favor of a much more open game play style that just hits all the right buttons, they borrowed the perk system idea from fallout, but its much more structured and beautifully presented, i have a few small issues with the game but its only things like wishing it was less console and more PC game. Expand
  86. Nov 21, 2011
    what can i say. the only bad thing is this game is too good and way too addictive. it takes up too much of my time. that time has a new name and its called skyrimming. an absolute masterpiece. thank you bethesda and all involved.10 out of 10
  87. Nov 22, 2011
    I have never been so addicted to a game since Fable or the first era of World of Warcraft back in 2004... For our times and our technology, Skyrim offers the best escape into a fictional digital world, where the limitations although present are shaded by the immense world that will consume countless hours from your life and embellish them with outstanding music and epic story. Even ifI have never been so addicted to a game since Fable or the first era of World of Warcraft back in 2004... For our times and our technology, Skyrim offers the best escape into a fictional digital world, where the limitations although present are shaded by the immense world that will consume countless hours from your life and embellish them with outstanding music and epic story. Even if you're not an RPG fan, I would strongly suggest and recommend you should try this game out, threw any means necessary, but in the end, even if you are the biggest video game pirate on the web, dig up your golden chest and pay your respects to Bethesda by buying this masterpiece. Expand
  88. Nov 22, 2011
    Skyrim is a good game. But let's stop right there for a second - anyone claiming that the game is 'perfect' and 'the best game of our generation' are really exaggerating the game's strengths and massively downplaying its weaknesses. This game has MANY flaws, especially on the PC version. To deny them makes your review biased, one thing that a lot of people just don't understand (or don'tSkyrim is a good game. But let's stop right there for a second - anyone claiming that the game is 'perfect' and 'the best game of our generation' are really exaggerating the game's strengths and massively downplaying its weaknesses. This game has MANY flaws, especially on the PC version. To deny them makes your review biased, one thing that a lot of people just don't understand (or don't want to). You have to step back and look at the game from an objective perspective. So that's what I'm going to attempt to do right now. ::::PROS:::: 1.massive world 2. open ended 3. decent storyline and sidequests 4. well-designed and fun to explore dungeons 5. relatively immersive 6. highly customizable (playstyle, weapons, spells, etc) 7. PC version can be modded 8. some decent voice acting 9. magic is extremely satisfying (looks cool too) 10. easy to change difficulty allow you to change it to scale with your character 11. established lore that really sucks you into the world of Skyrim ::::CONS:::: 1. repetitive fetch/kill quests with no meaning 2. bad UI on PC - going through your "Misc" items with all the bugged and non-stacked soul gems is a nightmare 3. several immersion breaking problems 4. misplaced NPC dialogue (ie. being told by an NPC not to 'leave my stuff lying around' after they just killed me, or having an enemy say 'that was only a scratch!' AFTER I just chopped his head off - seems a lot of the dialogue triggers at the wrong moments) 5. feels too much like Fallout 3 and Oblivion - Bethesda does not seem to be really improving or changing too much of the same formula they've been using for years now -many sounds/textures are the exact same from Fallout 3) (eg. picking up ingredients/'ash pile') 6. graphics are good at a distance, but terrible up close > poor textures 7. many bugs - graphical glitches, crashes, quest bugs, getting stuck 8. horrible NPC AI (especially companions) - another thing Bethesda has not really improved upon 9. some poor voice acting/too many reused voice actors (ie. that one Slavic woman that seems to be cloned at least 3 times in every town) 10. crafting is generally not very fun - alchemy is overly diluted with 10 different ingredients that do the same thing, smithing requires you to create 5000 iron daggers to level, enchanting is ok 11. poor inventory management system (something that could have been improved for the PC) that makes 'the inventory game' a pain 12. The whole game in general sometimes feels more 'mechanical' rather then 'organic' By no means am I saying that Skyrim is a bad game. It can be incredibly fun and immersive and it offers countless hours of pure entertainment. However, its flaws are numerous, and I can't rightly give this game more than 8.0 out of 10. Thanks for reading! Expand
  89. Nov 22, 2011
    Wow, I feel like Bear Grylls in this game! I love exploring the wilderness, climbing up rocky hills - and killing stuff! You won't have to drink your own urine either. Love this game!
  90. Nov 22, 2011
    Although I have never had any experience with previous elder scroll games, this is by far my favorite game of all time. The map is HUGE, bigger than fallout 3. The graphics are superb, and quests are... well I cant keep up with all my quests, so many it makes you want to slow down and "enjoy" the game. I must say this game has an infinite amount of "replay" value since you wont everAlthough I have never had any experience with previous elder scroll games, this is by far my favorite game of all time. The map is HUGE, bigger than fallout 3. The graphics are superb, and quests are... well I cant keep up with all my quests, so many it makes you want to slow down and "enjoy" the game. I must say this game has an infinite amount of "replay" value since you wont ever need to start a new game. If you choose to be a mage in the beginning it doesnt mean you dont get combat, and you can quickly change into combat. For me I was iffy on the 60$ for a game, however I must say I am hooked beyond belief. The only con is you might get so addicted you start falling behind on school work. But I just have no self control. The only thing I would improve are controls, however you quickly get used to them and it turns out amazing anyways. Expand
  91. Nov 23, 2011
    Quite good game. Surely recommended, bears same addiction that rest of TES series had. Same funny bugs as well ;]. The main disadvantage is the graphics. Looks so outdated that heavily modded Oblivion looks a lot prettier. Cause of that, if You finished Oblivion, Skyrim gets boring after 50-100 hours of playing, its like a huge DLC, but nothing more. Pretty high time of playthrough as forQuite good game. Surely recommended, bears same addiction that rest of TES series had. Same funny bugs as well ;]. The main disadvantage is the graphics. Looks so outdated that heavily modded Oblivion looks a lot prettier. Cause of that, if You finished Oblivion, Skyrim gets boring after 50-100 hours of playing, its like a huge DLC, but nothing more. Pretty high time of playthrough as for modern cRPGs, but compared to The Wither 2 (Ultra++ settings), that after 4th finish (4x~30h) still gives me the same "Oo-ooh" graphic wise and still makes me want to play again with massive sightseeing and eye orgasms, still wont make me change wallpaper gallery made from thousand of screenshots, its not impressive anymore. Game surely worth finishing + exploring most of its content but thats it. Finish and forget. The Witcher 2 made a lot better impression on me TBH. Expand
  92. Nov 23, 2011
    Skyrim is a very addicting game, with hours of gameplay, im probably never gonna finish it. But i am sure gonna try, my advice is that you run to the nearest store and buy it, no matter the price
  93. Nov 23, 2011
    From the moment you dive into Skyrim, from the opening sequence and beginning your journey through this beautiful world, you can already see the creative genius at work behind this game.
  94. Nov 23, 2011
    TLDR: Skyrim > Oblivion, buy it, play it, quicksave. Awesome.
    I'm just gonna put it out there. Skyim is awesome. As for why, well, that's a much longer statement.
    This game does not need my praise as it's gotten overwhelming support from game critics and the community, but I'm gonna put my own two cents out there anyway. To be upfront, I did not like Oblivion. Something about how that game
    TLDR: Skyrim > Oblivion, buy it, play it, quicksave. Awesome.
    To be upfront, I did not like Oblivion. Something about how that game began, the lack of direction, the clunkiness of the combat and the bugginess of the game engine put me off three separate times.
    Skyrim fixes a lot of those issues. I feel the start of the game is stronger than Oblivion's (if you remove Sir Patrick Stewart from the equation)., in that it remains fast-moving and gives you a good primer on many of the systems (although some more explanation about magic and the favorites system would be nice). I found the town of Riverwood much more inviting than the monstrosity that is the Imperial City. My own personal preference of course. Some people complain about the compass and the plot arrows, but I think they're a great addition from the Fallout series of games. They may make things a bit easier, but they just add to the wanderlust you get going through the immense world of Skyrim. Also, I don't know about other people, but I don't like to get lost, so having a convenient plot arrow is a bonus in my book.
    To be honest... I can't really tell you what's different about Skyrim's combat from Oblivion's. It's still swinging a sword, backpedaling and blocking every now and then. Maybe the animations are smoother, or the timing is looser (or maybe it's just those awesome kill animations...), but I really do enjoy the combat in Skyrim. Not the game's strongest suit, but when has that ever been Bethesda's strong point? And it's definitely not a weak point in this game.
    I am proud to say that Skyrim has only crashed on me once during my 60-odd hours of gameplay (apparently it didn't like a chest I looted). A massive improvement over Oblivion's constant instability. I can't speak to the graphical improvements, as I have it turned all the way down to the ass-end of the spectrum because my laptop is, well, a laptop. But the environment design is more varied than you'd expect from a winter-y continent and some of the dungeon designs are just flat out awesome.
    I feel like I don't need to speak too much about the story, other than it's pretty sweet. Bethesda remains strong in this respect and every side quest is given just enough attention to make you feel like you're not doing yet another side quest for yet another sum of gold and XP. Speaking of XP, the leveling system. Oblivion's leveling system was... weird. The scaling brought all sorts of craziness to your character's performance, which put off a lot of people, including me. Skyrim simplifies the leveling system a bit further than an RPG-geek like myself would have wanted, but I feel like I still have a good amount of control over the direction of where my character goes (except for leveling Restoration to 40 to get that damned perk...). Everything in it is fairly intuitive and almost every time you level up, I feel like you get a tangible benefit.
    Oh, right, one more thing. The interface. It's obviously been designed from a console perspective, which would normally annoy me, but that also means almost every menu can be navigated through WASD and E, which I personally find a helluva lot more accurate than using a mouse pointer. Favorites are an interesting idea, if a bit hard to get used to. Reading the manual helps. Scrolling through items gets tedious at times, but something akin to that issue probably would remain regardless of the interface. The one complaint I do have (and this is horribly nitpicky) is that you should be able to select OK with E and not the mouse. Consistency, people.
    All in all, again, Skyrim is awesome. It's the best game Bethesda's put out so far, and despite its few flaws, it remains an immensely enjoyable experience all the way through. (Just keep quicksaving!)
  95. Nov 27, 2011
    This is a very worthy next installment in the elder scrolls. The graphics are good, the gameplay is fluid, the lore is outstanding. Having started the series at morrowind it has been interesting to see the lore develop through out the series and I really like how you can hear/talk to people about the other lands that you have previosly visited and sometimes they even talk about actions ofThis is a very worthy next installment in the elder scrolls. The graphics are good, the gameplay is fluid, the lore is outstanding. Having started the series at morrowind it has been interesting to see the lore develop through out the series and I really like how you can hear/talk to people about the other lands that you have previosly visited and sometimes they even talk about actions of your previous character. (ex hearing of an eruption on red mountain that caused alot of elves to relocate to skyrim). They have improved the gamplay alot, the fighting is outstanding but one of my favorite additions was the ability to buy and upgraid a house, particularly the weapon racks and mounts that were added. I think its cool to be able to put my old sword up on the wall, or to have my favorite set on a rack for easy taking whenever I want. The only part I was a little disappointed in is the dark brotherhood quest line seemed a little short and was too easy. My character was very not stealthy and I had no problem completing the quests w/ no bounties or killing necessary people where as in oblivion that was impossible in many missions and overall the oblivion quests were more exciting (for the dark brotherhood). There is an abundance of quests, its really crazy the amount they put into this. I also think the dewmer ruins in this game are far more interesting to explore than in the other titles. Crafting is also a very big upgrade. I LOVE the redesigned armor, oblivions armor was rather ugly in my opinion and even possessing daedric armor didnt excite me as much where as in this game almost all the armor looks great. Another downfall for me is some of the characters use the same voice (one in particular is very distinct and able to be heard from few characters) The world is very large and full of places to explore, iv played for over 80 hrs and im not near finished. I cant wait for the DLC to come out... Also to Therealjonah who was the top negative rater when I posted this I just loled at him. I read down to the part where he said some thing like "when the first morrowind came out..." what a moron morrowind is the Eldar scroll III, thats some "experience". To add to that he wants morrowind with better graphics, anyone with the PC version of morrowind has access to all the mods made to the game MANY of which re-do much of the visuals to make them look much better and add variety I suggest trying them out. To someone else "This game is really broken on PC, it's unbelievable that reviewers do not take into account whether developers put in any effort on the version (PC) of the game that they are rating" wouldnt know I bought it on the 360, why would anyone who has it on a console take into consideration how it runs on the PC? Thats the dumbest expectation from people iv ever heard... I own morrowind and oblivion on console and PC, do prefer PC but went with console for this one until it goes on sale on steam or something but why would I think that the majority of people who will own it once on a console car about the PC? Anyway Overall this game is great, a vast improvement in the series and I will enjoy playing it until the next installment comes out, hopefully the gap wont be as large as the last one! 10/10 Expand
  96. Nov 28, 2011
    The most impressive thing is the game hardly ever crashes like Bethesda's previous titles. Summary: Its good, enough said or it will all be spoilers.
  97. Nov 29, 2011
    I've been a hardcore gaming for the last 30 years and this game sets the bar for fantasy RPG for the last few years. The game play is excellent, graphics on ultra settings are unmatched for this genre, character development is extremely complex and allows for unique class creation based on desired playing style. I have hit level 30 and barely touched the main quest line which shows thatI've been a hardcore gaming for the last 30 years and this game sets the bar for fantasy RPG for the last few years. The game play is excellent, graphics on ultra settings are unmatched for this genre, character development is extremely complex and allows for unique class creation based on desired playing style. I have hit level 30 and barely touched the main quest line which shows that the side quest variety and availability feels almost endless. Mark my words this game will be the best of the year hands down. The visceral experience of hearing a dragon approach while hiking a mountain peak and then the ensuing epic battle is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences to date. None of the bad reviews I've read offer anything truly constructive (many don't even seem to have played the same game I am) and the majority of graphics critiques seem insane as on Ultra Settings it looks better than anything else I'm playing right now on PC. As many others have said I will be surprised if it doesn't win game of the year. Expand
  98. Nov 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever made - I've played now over 80h and it got better and better :-)
    If you can buy ony one game for this year - Buy Skyrim.

BTW: This is one of the very rare games in last time that comes with Mod Support/SDK. If the Moddingscene is active as they was by skyrim you can have fun forever with this game.
  99. Dec 2, 2011
    Bugs? Sure but i still love this game. Big Mammoths, Giants are the best (Dragons are weak). Love the gameplay, love the graphics. Overall great game. A must buy for everyone!!
  100. Dec 2, 2011
    I couldn't play too much with the Oblivion but I was curious about this piece so I bought it and fortunately I didn't have to disappoint. I think one of the best offline RPGs today.
  101. May 8, 2012

Some of the game is excellent, some is ok, some is quite bad.

Sadly this is where the good ends...
    The OK: